Speaker 1: We're putting the band back together. It's the Three Whisky Happy Hour, the podcast dedicated to single malts and blended opinions with your hosts Steve Heyward, John You, and some mystery woman named lou Kritia, along with a new floating.
Speaker 2: Cast of regular guests.
Speaker 1: So pour yourself a dram and settle in for another episode of one hundred proof Conversation. Well, to paraphrase the Blues Brothers, We've got the band back together. It's sixty minutes to the end of this podcast. We've got a full glass of whiskey in hand, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses, just like Anthony Fauci in his glam cover shot for in Style magazine back in twenty twenty one. More to come on that subject first, But first, welcome everybody to the reboot of the Three Whisky Happy Hour, which is really just like the old Three Whiskey Happy Hour, only more of it. So I'll go through a few of our tweaks in a moment. My co hosts are already shaking her heads at my frivolity, but welcome back, gang.
Speaker 2: How have you enjoyed your hiatus for the month of July.
Speaker 3: Who wants to go first, John, I've been traveling a lot and right now I'm in a one hundred and five degree weather in Texas because I felt it wrong. Did I not share in global warming like everybody else?
Speaker 1: Well, at least you have air conditioning in Austin, unlike Europe. You know, our pal Brad Watson has been in Paris. No, I'm sorry, he's been in Rome where it's been over one hundred. I have another friend in Paris where it's over one hundred and they have no air conditioning and no ice in the hotel. I was in a few days ago in Luzerne, Switzerland. They had an ashtray. They had ashtrays in my hotel room and out on the balcony, but ice, forget it.
Speaker 2: You couldn't get any ice. That's just where Europe busy these days.
Speaker 4: I was in.
Speaker 5: I was in London years ago during a heat wave in London, and I remember at the being somewhere and as seeing far off on the other side of some sort of outdoor park parky kind of thing, a big sign saying ice cold soda. So you know, I had not. I was hot and I'm a little bit less besotted with ice in my drinks now than I used to be.
Speaker 6: I really wanted to.
Speaker 5: Drink with ice in it. So I ran over there and it was a bunch of cokes sitting on top of a block of ice. It was the only ice I saw the whole time. Anyway, I've just been. I had a lovely time with John in Berkeley. We had our friends from South Latin America and had a just a wonderful conference on my portion of it was on the rule of law in the America's and it was fun. We had a good time, great, great guys, great people. There's a few women involved too, So wow, it was great and it was lovely in Berkeley, wasn't it, John? It was even warm for Berkeley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like seventy degrees.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Lucretia educated our South American colleagues on the Save Act and the many election malfeasanses that occur here, which to them must seem like nothing. Gearn that they have had such terrible elections. They even make election commissions at independent agencies free of all other government control.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was interesting to do here.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, I don't believe in anything outside of government control. I just believe us in us controlling the government. I did have one interesting thing. I don't know if I even had a chance to tell you about it, John, but the young man who was the Japanese consul who came and just sat in on some of ours. In my talk, I mentioned, you know, the famous James Madison's statement about what's going to make sure that we have a republican, honest legislature and it's not going to become tyrannical. And he says that it's all these things, plus that they will never make a law that is imposed upon the people that is not equally imposed upon themselves. And you know, then he follows that, well, what if the legislature ever decides, if the people ever allow the legislature to do that, to pass a law which is on the great mass of the people but not on the legislators themselves, the people will be will be prepared to tolerate anything but liberty, which is exactly what Madison says. So you know, then I listed the laws, many of the laws, some of which have been overturned but or relitigated.
Speaker 4: Shall we say.
Speaker 5: But this Japanese guy was just absolutely fascinated with this idea, and so he sat there and I had to so he could write out every single law that had ever been created by Congress in this way. And I just thought it was a very interesting that this Japanese console was. Out of all the things that people said, that was the thing that fascinated in most. That Congress passes laws and exempts itself from.
Speaker 4: The reach of those laws.
Speaker 5: And you know, I agree with Madison on that one, but that was it.
Speaker 1: Is there anything you don't agree with Madison on? Maybe I should, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, slavery, slavery, maybe slavery.
Speaker 5: I mean Madison's claims to have been against slavery as well. But video owned m ya, I know, yeah, he owned slaves. Yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 4: There's more than that.
Speaker 5: I mean, there are some things I definitely come down on the side of Hamilton on, but I'm not going to give John that satisfaction today.
Speaker 2: Or any day for that matter.
Speaker 3: All Right, Madison's okay, it's Jefferson. If you started bending the need of Jefferson, I'd be worried about your sanity.
Speaker 5: There are things, there are things it is to be learned from Jefferson, John, But yeah, he was a bit of a nut job.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Anyway, you look at it over over a long period.
Speaker 5: Of time, it's a little bit difficult to find consistency in Jefferson the same way you might, for instance, find it in Lincoln, even though you know, politics and circumstances change. There's a consistency to Lincoln that seems markedly absent from Jefferson. But he still has much to teach us.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So for listeners who of just the audio version or the traditional podcast version, you will have heard a new bumper music and a new introduction, and I will tell you about our British voiceover artists. I'll tell you more about him, I think next week, because I'm not sure we actually have him yet this week.
Speaker 2: In any case, here's what's new and improved.
Speaker 1: Remember the old There's a little cartoon where someone's holding up a box of cereal. This is new and improved, and someone's asking what's new and improved about it? And he says the new and improved on the labels, what's new about it? So not that much has changed, but we are going to change up a few things. One is we're gonna start having a few cameo appearances by some people that we like just for four or five minutes most of the time pre taped with me, and are going to rotate from some familiar names and a few new ones. We'll have Richard Samuelson, for instance, offering us either his pun of the week or answering a question what would John Adams do about a current question, since he's one of the foremost experts on John Adams in the country. Today, we're gonna have Alex Prieu, who was a guest host a few weeks ago, who knows more about classical Greek and the classical Greek literature than anybody I know, and he's gonna give us a very brief review of the Odyssey movie, which is dividing everybody in which I still haven't seen.
Speaker 5: But it didn't stop you from doing a review of it, Steve that I loved that.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. I didn't. I know, I didn't review.
Speaker 1: I just said I can't stand the Emily Wilson translation. And by the way, Emily Wilson has dumped on the movie, so go figure she's a leftist. It's really strange how it's crossing wires. We're gonna have John you don't know this yet. We're gonna have from Beyond the Grave some short visits from.
Speaker 2: Henry Kissinger now and then.
Speaker 1: So in other words, there's some risk we're gonna become the Hollywood Squares of podcasts. Uh. And we're gonna have more names of cameos, and due course we also want to try and do their a Lattimore. Yes, that's that's the course. Yeah, John, you was holding up the Lattimore translation, and that's my favorite one. It's also Alex Preu's favorite translation. Yeah, and and uh uh. One of the things we'd like to do is try to do what we do on Ricochet, which is record every week at a consistent time. That makes it easier to announce the people when they can tune in when we're gonna do a live show.
Speaker 2: It's not always possible.
Speaker 1: Right now, it's completely impossible because our schedules are ull too crazy, and even in Ricochet we don't always keep to that. But when only two of us are available, we'll steal. That's a quorum, and we may have a guest host. We've actually got a guest host intended for next week, and I won't say who it is because he doesn't know it yet.
Speaker 5: So I hope it's not that transgender person sticking out of your bookcase behind you.
Speaker 2: That is not a.
Speaker 4: I can't decide if it's a man or a woman.
Speaker 1: No, it's a it's a that's okay, So what that's about listeners? Okay, so that's leftover. That's a leftover prop from this morning. So on the Ricochet podcast every week at the end, Charles Cook always has some album covers behind him, and he was absent this week, and I thought somebody's going to take his slot, so I put up the album cover Lilas Can Spot Them, and I got to put it further back, Lilax can spot them and tell you all about them.
Speaker 2: He's like one of those name that tunes kind of guys. That behind me is Lowell George.
Speaker 1: And of course, neither one of you know about Lowell George because you're both completely.
Speaker 4: Because we're not into transgender musicians.
Speaker 2: He's not it. He was.
Speaker 1: He died forty years ago of alcoholism. But he was the guiding force of Little Feet in its glory days in the seventies.
Speaker 2: And both of the will.
Speaker 1: Say who, of course, because again, you guys are complete credits.
Speaker 5: But sorry, that's a really interesting an interpretation of cretance that we don't listen to obscure rock and roll that couldn't make it.
Speaker 1: Little Feet was the precursor to Oh come on the Sweet Home Alabama guys blanking on their names. Skinner Yeah no, Little Feet was the prototype Southern rock band. So what what it means is luc see sorryl because you don't know something, you just kept contempt for it. This is somebody who don't know about but it was a very not an obscure band. They were a very big deal in the seventies and litl George. If you ask any serious musicians will say, yeah, that guy really had his.
Speaker 2: Blues chops down.
Speaker 1: So there so be contemptions to be one because you don't know anything about it.
Speaker 2: But I'm going to call you out on it.
Speaker 5: I know a lot about Leonard skinnerd I love Leonard Skinner.
Speaker 1: I know we'll expand your horizons and start with that guy over my shoulder.
Speaker 4: I'm too old to take in new music, Yes this I know.
Speaker 5: Also yeah right, yeah, it's just it's it's a failing of mine.
Speaker 6: I admit to it.
Speaker 5: But no, I don't do it.
Speaker 1: All right, let us take a quick break, and then we're going to come back and talk about grouchy Fauci, So don't go away. Well, it's been quite a week for Anthony Fauci, and I don't know where to start because we go on a long time about it. But I think at least three questions in my mind. Maybe start with you, John, It's thought that it's obvious that he is immune from federal prosecutions, I think for what happened during that period.
Speaker 2: Well all right, well that's the next question. What is he vulnerable to?
Speaker 3: So you start, Well, what Senator Paul's trying to do is set up I think what we call perjury trap. So basically, a pardon can only immunize you from things you did before the pardon. You can't be pardoned for things in the future. So your right, Stephen, that he can be a pardon from prosecution for the acts that he undertook before Joe Biden parted him in twenty twenty four, But if he were to lie about what he did now, that he could be prosecuted for. So that's the difference. So that's what I think Senator Paul was doing. He was going to say, okay, Fauci, you said to the American public back then that the most likely explanation was some kind of animal to human transmission of the COVID virus. But then you told your diary also at the same time that you put together a council of people, the experts, and eighty percent of them thought it was man made and only twenty percent thought it was natural. So who were you lying to the diary or the American public back then? So if he I mean, he's screwed. I mean, basically, he'd have to say I was lying to the public back then, and if that's true, then he's immunized. But if he were to say, oh, no, I was telling the truth, well then he's perjuring himself to somebody. Right he's lying to his diary or is lying to the public. And if he's lying under oath and saying that before the committee, now he can be prosecuted for lying to Congress. Right now he can't. Biden couldn't pardon him from lying to Congress in the future. So that's why he took the fifth. If I were a lawyer, I would have told him to take the fifth unless he was prepared to say, which he obviously wasn't that I knew a but I told the American people be which is what it seems he did. But he doesn't want to say that in public. So if he's not going to tell the truth about that, then yeah, I would have told him to take the fifth too.
Speaker 5: So John, I have a question for you. I have seen reference to this several times, and I don't know the case and I can't remember the name of it, but there have been a number of commentators who have said that there was a Supreme Court case some years ago. I want to say it was like in the eighteen nineties, but again I just don't remember that says if you are granted immunity, you cannot plead the Fifth Amendment.
Speaker 4: I assumed that you.
Speaker 5: Can, actually, you know, grant immunity. A prosecutor can grant immunity and make it conditional that you won't plead the Fifth Amendment because you've been granted immunity. But is there a more blanket constitutional rule coming down from the Supreme Court interpretation that says, if you're granted immunity, you have to answer questions that are opposed to you.
Speaker 3: I think people are getting confused about out of who's granting immunity and the difference between immunity and a pardon. So you may recall, well, Steve's the expert on this, remember the around Contra affair.
Speaker 2: I was going to bring that up.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, Congress granted immunity to North and Poindexter to testify. That's that's immunity, and that meant anything they said could not be used against them. And the end of one of the great travesties was that the Independent Council of that time tried to prosecute them anyway, and the DC circuit throughout the prosecutions properly. So I think that kind of immunity that's just different than pardons. That's a totally different, totally different thing at work. So, for example, if Congress granted Fauci immunity now, then he couldn't claim the fifth and he would have to testify right now about all this stuff. But Senator Paul's committee did not Grandham immunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, that was the question I was going to ask John. Maybe that was a blunder. Maybe they shou should have granted him immunity for his testimony before Congress and then compelled. Then he couldn't plead the fifth right, you have to answer questions.
Speaker 2: At that point, no one's trying to prosecute him.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think if I remember Iran Contra Wright, they actually worked out a deal with the Special Council to give North and Pointdexter what they call use immunity. Whatever they said at the at the hearing, I would not be used by the Special Council. And of course that all blew up because it was all cross contaminated, right, that couldn't possibly stick.
Speaker 2: But hold on, let me.
Speaker 3: Finish all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the thing is, if you're fauci and you're as arrogant as he is, he could not resist trying to repeat what Oliver North did without going back to the whole thing is. You know, that was the pivot of those hearings, and North rout of the committee. I mean, my favorite moment is when somebody asked him something like, and this document that we can't find, what did you do with it? North said, I shredded it. You know, it was a fantastic moment. I remember what's his name, Norman Lear, you know, creator of all in the family, said the North testimony for that week was the greatest television he'd ever seen, because he's so you know, I would have thought that if you really wanted to wreck Fauci and blow this thing sky high of how badly baby behaved, give him complete immunity for his testimony and then compel him to give answers and then you make him answer those questions about his diary and all the rest of that. I don't think that would have gone very well for him, And then there's a sequel of that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the way to think of it is if you care more about the truth than about putting him in jail, then you grant immunity. So that's why the wrong Contract committee made that decision. And you could say Paul's committee thought it's more important to put him in jail if for viling the law then getting to the bottom of it, or maybe they feel like they already know everything because they have his diaries, so why not just get him in jail now. But you're right, I think Watergate is another example where they gave out a lot of immunity because they thought it's more important to just get to the truth of what happened. And then but you have a trade off to make, which is, you get the truth from these people, but you can't prosecute him anymore.
Speaker 5: So just I have sorry to beat this point to death. But the Supreme Court case is actually Brown versus Walker. It was from eighteen ninety six, and it is not an immunity case. It is a pardon case. And the Supreme Court determined that if you have a pardon, you cannot plead the fifth about.
Speaker 3: The pardoned for. Yeah, for the things he can't be pardoned yet for longing to Congress during hearings that haven't occurred yet.
Speaker 5: But do you think that it's but he shouldn't be able to plead the fifth on anything, right? Or is that too wide of a reading. If he's being asked about activities that took place for which he was granted a pardon, which remember was a wholesale pardon. It wasn't your pardon for this crime or this crime or this crime that you were convicted of. It was anything you did prior to this time you've got a pardon for, which means any question when they ask him about any pet time period prior to the pardon would be subject to that pardon, and therefore he could not plead the fifth on it.
Speaker 4: Am I just being crazy?
Speaker 3: No? Because you could be. So here's the You could be convicted of lying to Congress for things which themselves are not criminal. Right, The crime is lying to Congress, So whether the thing you are talking about is legal or not. Like if you went to Congress they were asking him all these funny questions, like what's the color of your tie, and suppose it's red and he said it was yellow. You could be prosecuted for lying to Congress for that, or he doesn't have anything to do with the underlying right conduct, whether it's legal or not. So I just I have some fair amount of personal experience with this. I mean I worked on the Hill where I did investigate one of these executive branch scandals of voting the clin administration, and we thought about granting immunity. And usually it's interesting, Usually people in Congress want to grant immunity because they would rather steve is decirement. They'd rather have the witness say things in front of the American people about the bad things they did. You know, having a having any witness take the fifth kills the hearing and it can stall the investigation. But it's usually the Justice Department, which doesn't want immunity granted. And so maybe the case that the Trump Justice Department, which I bet would love to prosecute Fauci, was by telling Paul, don't grant him immunity. Don't please, don't grant him immunity. We want to go after him if he lies to.
Speaker 4: Congress, which so that brings me to you.
Speaker 3: Can't say one big thing about that. They have a factual dispute which he definitely should take the fifth on. Is he still Fauci is still claiming he had nothing to do with the sending of funds to the Wuhan Lab to conduct the research which apparently led to this kind of you know, you know, infinitely more dangerous virus, right, and that's a very important thing to get to the bottom of. I could totally see why he would want to take the fifth on that and will not want to be questioned under oath by Paul about what he knew about brit because if you remember, his institution gave a grant to this American non scientific nonprofit which turned around and gave the money.
Speaker 6: To the Wuhan lad.
Speaker 3: That's silly, that's a terrible, terrible, smoking gun. If Fauci knew what that money was going to be used for.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll be back with more on the fabulous Fauci after this quick ad break.
Speaker 2: Don't go away.
Speaker 5: I agree with all of that, but I would go back to a kind of analysis of both of your commentaries and say, the only difficulty with say Rand Paul having granted him immunity to get to the truth is that A we know that Fauci didn't want to admit to the truth. He didn't want to admit that he was wrong, and he certainly didn't want to say come up. But it doesn't matter their attempt to embarrass Fauci to bring out those It's crazy to me that it's called a diary. They were federal records. The guy was such a narcissistic megalomaniac.
Speaker 4: They used his federal.
Speaker 5: Computer, government owned computer to write his sweet little diary and then acts all offended when somebody goes in and takes those records. I mean, come on, folks. But every stupid Democrat, and I repeat myself, came out.
Speaker 4: Supporting, Oh this is horrible what happened to Fauchi.
Speaker 5: But the New York Times, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, on and on and on MSNBC. None of them covered one iota of what was in those federal diary records, whatever you want to call them, not a single thing.
Speaker 4: And so right now you have.
Speaker 5: I bet you if somebody who could do a really solid, honest polling of the American people, they're split somewhere down the middle on this. The people who think Fauci is, in fact, you know, some sort of mad evil scientist who you know, got rich and all those other things, and just and then people who think he's still a hero.
Speaker 4: I got a note.
Speaker 5: I can't believe I'm gonna admit this, but I got in a little Twitter thing yesterday X thing whatever with a guy who claims to be a PhD in virology and his damn profile picture he has a mask on.
Speaker 4: He has a mask on.
Speaker 5: And and you know, he's just absolutely offended at all of these people, you know, saying Fauci should be prosecuted, et cetera. What I told these guys, or what I said on X I'll say it here just in case somebody missed it, is that I don't want Fauci prosecuted.
Speaker 4: What I want to have happened to him.
Speaker 5: Is I want him put in one of those cages or just his head is stuck in the cage full of sandflies that will eat him alive, just like he did the Beagle Puppies, The Son of a Bitch God I hate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he was part of that, right well, all right.
Speaker 4: Still he's dead.
Speaker 3: I think that the thing is, the most damaging things come out of it were not the things he took the fit for, but the embarrassing love of celebrity. You know, thousands of Americans according to his agency or dying a day from COVID. And all he's writing about is whether he was in People magazine.
Speaker 1: Yeah he did the Uh he boasted doing the full Ginsburg remember the Ginsburg Lawyer.
Speaker 2: For the right.
Speaker 1: He did all the Sunday shows and all three or four nightly news networks. And and I think I thought it commented with us at the time or I forget where that just having had a little taste of, you know, the doing the six minutes segments on the cable news like you do all the time, John, except you you get to do them from home.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: It used to be when I lived in Washington, you had to get in the car they'd always send you a car, right, because I want to make sure you're going to show up, and it just kills your whole afternoon and you're not doing any work. That's when OUCHI was doing all that media. I said, Ah, he's not really doing any work. He's just now a spokesperson for the party line. And I don't know, Lucretia, I think the I was talking about. I got to talk to Jay Beatachari about all this earlier today, and he was agreeing with me that the scientific community has taken a lot of big hits from this, and now you may be right that you may be right that are off.
Speaker 2: Too many people were fooled by Fauci.
Speaker 1: But I think that the authority of science, which used to be in its peak from Sputnik on.
Speaker 2: Right, is now in the toilet.
Speaker 5: I agree, I agree, Steve, but I think both are true. If that makes sense, I can't you know. And one last thing I want to mention about Fouci, I think we talked about it once before on this podcast, is that you know he is also the person, not entirely but primarily responsible for trying to put out the nonsense during the AIDS crisis. Oh that all of us could get AIDS and you know, never because he did, you know, all the reasons. Didn't want to see homosexuals be discriminated against his own. But what a waste of resources to do.
Speaker 4: Something like that.
Speaker 5: And so the guy's been a hack, an ideological political hack, and I don't have enough. I'll just be quiet here, but bring on the sand flies.
Speaker 1: Well, all right, one equivalent of the sand flies in a certain way would be civil suits, right, John, I mean the pardon that cannot immunize him or protect him from.
Speaker 2: Any civil suits people might bring. Maybe that's a real part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do too. They have three exceptions of pardons. You can't parton for impeachment, treason, can only partner for crime, and you can't and pardons, so pardons don't cover, like you're saying, civil actions. And then you can't partner for state law. You know, it's only federal crimes. They only party for folk crime. So yeah, I guess you could think like Jay and Scott Atlas, some of their friends could maybe sue for defamation or vible of some kind, but he was a government official, so he would probably claim immunity. You know. It would be interesting which you could actually do. Uh, and since Governor DeSantis is a big friend of Steve Hayward in the Claremoon Institute.
Speaker 4: Uh, Lloyd is going after it.
Speaker 3: You got the minute you guys met with him, his poll numbers, what like that. I don't know what you guys, maybe you met secretly with Trump a few weeks ago too, But a stay could conduct an investigation actually, and the pardon would not apply at all too well.
Speaker 5: But I mean, you know, again, pinning him on certain things is very very difficult.
Speaker 4: One of the things.
Speaker 5: I think that there's got to be some uh, some kind of again, I think they'd be federal some crimes involved in him getting his minions to go and uh put in nominations for him for these big prizes from the organizations that he was awarding billions to and they were giving him back millions of dollars in prize money for being so wonderful, being mister science. There has to be something just really, I mean, I guess that that just You're probably right, that's a reputational thing. You just need to shout it from the rooftops. But none of the major media organizations are doing that so well.
Speaker 1: But you know, I mean, the reason I say civil suits or state action are both is remember what the left figured out after Watergate.
Speaker 2: The process is the punishment.
Speaker 1: And you know it cost him a lot of money, dude, to fend off all these suits, even if they can't actually succeed at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: I do have a last question.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about, you know, immunization for Congress and all the rest of that. What about having as I don't know, presidential commission or Congress could set it up or both. But a Truth and Reconciliation commission do a major review of the whole COVID fiasco. And there Fauci again, and the all the other people, Deborah Brooks and all the other folks of all of this. They cannot dodge answering questions before a commission I have in mind. Actually, Jay Baticharia liked the idea. He said, my model for that, he says, I before that, my model was the commission and the Challenger space shuttle disaster in nineteen eighty six, Right, was very serious and sober thing.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a good idea.
Speaker 3: Only problem is that you can't force them to testify before presidential commission. In fact, I was only biparttersan commission to study the COVID nineteen thing in twenty twenty four that was chaired by John Ratcliffe, who later became is now the head of the CIA, And there's actually a lot out in the public record to piece together what happened, and it seemed pretty clear that it was escaped from the Wuhan lab. And the only question is, you know, was it intentional or not intentional? And then who ought to pay for it? But the problem with the presidential commission is that the president can order people to testify. So there's a Silverman rob commission which was about w D in a Rock, so all rumsfeled, everybody testified, but Fauci he's out of government. So the reason why Congress can do it is they have the power to subpoena and they can force you to appear. But in essential commission can't.
Speaker 5: All I want to say is I don't know you guys are the experts on this having been involved in it. I just ever watched it on TV. But what I will say, and I mean this sincerely, never mind the sandflies. It's still my preferred method. But I do think that the harm that was caused by COVID, starting with the deaths, starting with the unnecessary deaths because we didn't protect the people who are the most vulnerable from this, the unnecessary lockdowns, the destruction of just billions and billions of dollars of wealth, and the destruction that it did to an entire generation of school children. Kid My kid graduated on on video online from college, right, you know. And so I do think that even if you can't get Fauci again.
Speaker 4: Just sand flies the rest of them too. I don't care. But we need a reckoning.
Speaker 5: We need to make sure that we understand how this happened.
Speaker 4: And you know, we.
Speaker 5: Haven't even mentioned the role of social media and the media in general in covering up and you know, being complicit in making sure that any truth about the matter never got out.
Speaker 4: I think I've mentioned before.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna mention it one more time because it just came up again that the woman who is the PhD head of the nursing program at my university, in a discussion about whether or not there should be censorship of the Internet sub discussion on a larger issue, said absolutely absolutely, we need to make sure that we censor the Internet and stop allowing people to just post whatever they want, because there are people on the Internet who are actually advocating the use of horse medicine for COVID.
Speaker 4: She was a freaking nursing head in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: She had to have known that I've met in was one of the safest anti virals on the planet, had been used for decades. And she's so stupid and so bought into the whole nonsense that we got to.
Speaker 4: Stop people from thinking, make it take horse medicine.
Speaker 5: You know, I mean, I just I couldn't say anything because it was one of those big meetings.
Speaker 4: I just got off. I couldn't stand it.
Speaker 5: But that was over and over and over again. You know, Joe Rogan nearly got platformed entirely. Remember, I could go on, we forget some of these things. So I think, even though the Presidential Commission probably wouldn't produce anything near what most people want to see happen to those responsible for this need we need to. We need to study it, we need to get it out there, We need to.
Speaker 3: I think what you're saying is that you would be in favor of granting Fauci immunity before Congress because it produces this effect which people haven't remarked. And I think which is once you get that, you want to tell the truth and more you want to talk about as many things as possible, because the more you talk about, the more you can't be prosecuted. So if you really want to find out all these things, really, the best way this is from my congressional aid, you know, background talking immunity is the best thing. It agrees to great hearings. You'll have everything out there because he has an incentive to over testify in fact, so you'll get all the truth you want if you start handing out, but you won't be able to prosecute. But beholding him responsible doesn't mean putting him behind bars. I think he's getting his come up as just in the public humiliation of from these diary entries, which is show him to be a you know, publicity hound and not a real scientist.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, all right, let's go to a break and then we will come back and talk some constitutional matters, which is really supposed to be our bread and butter.
Speaker 2: So don't go away, all right.
Speaker 1: So here's kind of a quiz listeners, do you know what the Republican Guarantee clause of the Constitution is it refers to Article four, Section four, which is very short, and it says, the United States shall guarantee to every state in this Union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion and on application of the legislature or of the executive when the legislature cannot be convened, against domestic violence.
Speaker 2: Now, this is one of those clauses of the.
Speaker 1: Constitution which the Supreme Court long ago said, and we can go into.
Speaker 2: That in a little detail, or none at all.
Speaker 1: Is non justiciabal, which means it's not something that the Supreme Court can ultimately pass on, similar to the Ninth Amendment, which I think we've I mean that has shown up now and then, but there's no clear body of doctrine. And that's controversial, right while Robert Bork famously said the Ninth Amendment was.
Speaker 2: An ink blot, and so I kind of resist this. John. There's several ways to play this.
Speaker 1: But the reason this comes up is that Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit and University of Tennessee, who always likes to stir the pot, had a substack post here recently where he says, hey, maybe President Trump either the left is always saying Trump's going to cancel elections or you know, stay in office or have a coup, And he said no, no, Trump could invoke the Republican guarantee clause. I'll just give you one paragraph from Glenn's peace. It's better than me summarizing it. So if President Trump announces that we have uncovered massive electoral fraud, as he most certainly will, and that he is dispatching huge numbers of federal election watchers to oversee voting and counting in areas where fraud has occurred, he would be acting directly under a power that the Constitution had vested in him. For they to have a republican form of government, it must have meaningful elections, and elections that are rigged are not meaningful. Stopping them from being rigged would be protecting a Republican form of government. Okay, there's more two of the argument than that, But he thinks that there's a constitutional power, at least implied for President Trump to invoke it to justify some federal supervision of state elections, even though other clauses say states are in charge of that. So John, maybe give us your take on what you think that the Republican Guarantee clause means will go from there.
Speaker 3: You know who makes this exact same argument, my debate partner, John Eastman, your formal roommate. He didn't justify what.
Speaker 2: Yes guarantee clause.
Speaker 3: I thought, yes, us we argue about the twenty twenty election, and ultimately he will invoke the Republican guarantee clause for the exact same argument. And I will say to you what I say to him, which is the Republican guarantee clause is the refuge of scoundrels. When you have no other textual arguments, no other provision, retreat to this amorphous, undefined clause which you can pour any hope in any argument.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: So, first, and this doesn't go to the merits of what the clause means. But you're right, the Supreme Court has said we can't divine legal standards from this to the extent that we could enforce it in cases. There's a case called Luther versus Board, and I think is the first case just right. And there was actually a rebellion in Rhode Island, if I believe in two different governments went to the court essentially and said we're the real government and So the other more interesting case, I think we're recent case not that much more recent, but was the practice of initiatives. Right, California famously has the initiative process, and these initiatives were This is a case called Oregon versus Pacific Telephone tograph and right, the telephone company went to the Supreme Court said, that's not republican. That's aric democracy. That's like god a very die. Definition of republican government means you act through these, you know, filtering institutions. And the Court didn't say no. The Court just said, we can't tell. Part of it is also that notice the clause says the United States shall guarantee. So people sometimes forget this when they when they read these Supreme Court cases. The Supreme Court doesn't say that the clause is a nullody. They just say the courts can't enforce it, and they say, look, it's up to the other branches to decide. For example, they pretty much think they have suggested I think in the past that Congress could enforce the Republican guarantee clause because it says the United States shall guarantee, rather than in the way the individual rights clauses are written. So in terms of what the clause means. So I, you know, I do tease you and John and other Clarmont friends about, you know, retreating to this, but I will say, your roots, the roots of your arguments go back to the abolitionist period, because before the Civil War, the abolitionists were trying to construct arguments about why slavery was unconstitutional. And one of the things they said is very similargument they would say, they said, slavery violates the Republican Guarantee clause. The problem with that argument is that there's provisions in the Constitution before the Civil War that clearly seem to allow slavery. And that's the problem with this argument too. I'll just wrap up with this is if this were true, if this reading or your Republican Guarantee clause is true, it would sort of wipe out the Elections Clause. There's already a much more specific clause in the Constitution that talks about all how you hold elections. The election claw says states run elections subject to override by Congress. So it seems to me if there is problems in the election system, that clause says Congress has to pass a federal rule otherwise it's still up to the states. If you take this vaguer provision out there and you override it, this specific provision, then you're opening up the Constitution to be overrid and left and right by the Republican guarantee clause on all things.
Speaker 5: Is it not possible to read those two as complementary, as opposed to being opposed to each other. And the reason I say that, I'm looking at Madison's discussion of Sorry, John, look at Madison's discussion of what the guarantee clause means, and you know, he says in there they obviously we don't want them to have aristocratic or monarchical innovations, and mistake King.
Speaker 4: King's right, can't have democracy.
Speaker 5: But he says, the more intimate the nature of such a union may be the greater interest have the members in the political institutions of each other, and the greater right to insist that the forms of government which the Compact was entered into should be substantially maintained. Okay, I'm not sure that I probably use this argument to I'd pass a Save Act under Congress's power to do so the way you just described it. But but if you are actually in a position where you see that elections have become in ande of themselves, so.
Speaker 4: Suspect that the.
Speaker 5: People are now no longer have any There was an Axios Stupid poll that was out today and it said, you know something, some ridiculously high percentage of the people think that our politicians will cheat rather than accept the results of the election. One of the things they didn't ask was are you worried about illegals voting? But that's a different subject altogether. My point is this, would it be possible, looking at the situation where we are now so suspect about the integrity of our elections, that we have actually under mind a republican government from that point of view, from the way Madison describes it. So I have just one little anecdote here. I have not had a chance to run this down and make sure it's absolutely correct, but I'm going to I'm going to read it to you guys.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 5: From eighteen sixty to nineteen ninety six, the state of Oregon in the presidential election voted seventy seven percent Republican. Since two thousand, only Democrats have won the presidential electoral college vote in Oregon. What changed November third. Nineteen ninety eight, Oregon approved ballot Measure sixty, requiring vote by mail for all general elections. What a coincidence, right?
Speaker 4: Okay, that's it voted.
Speaker 3: By mail, viol the Republican Guarantee clause.
Speaker 4: Saying that it does.
Speaker 5: What I am saying is that it is right for fraud, and we've seen evidence of that today. They just announced that there was where the heck was it somebody two hundred ballots?
Speaker 3: Say?
Speaker 5: Somebody found in an Amazon drop off center that never got to where they were supposed to go. You know, it's just constant. All of these are smaller numbers. You know the situation in New Jersey where you know, hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens were accidentally I don't think it's that many accidentally signed up to vote.
Speaker 4: Registered to vote.
Speaker 5: Over and over and over again, we're seeing this and at some point then if my vote, you know, the Supreme Court wrongly in my opinion, but said one person, one vote, my vote is completely undermined the value of it by someone who votes illegally in our illegally in our elections.
Speaker 4: Voter, what do they call it? Harvesting?
Speaker 3: But then think about okay, so we don't have to. Like, So these elections, the more recent ones, they may be close, they may not be close. The number of ballots that may be illegal maybe small, maybe like, but we actually have in the historical record elections where we know that the vote tallying and bouts were completely illegal, and presidents never in vote the Republican Guarantee, because that's like every election in the South nineteen sixty between eighteen sixty six and the nineteen sixty five Voting Rights Act, right, millions of black voters were disenfranchised. Everybody knew it, agreed, and even then, no president would say, I have the right under the Republican Guarantee clause to intervene and throw all those out and redo the elections. And I would say, even Ulysses s. Grant, Right. So the election that comes to mind when you're talking about this, which is a real one, not like to me, the twenty twenty four elections, in the eighteen seventy six election, right, we know that the electoral votes from certain states were basically fraudulent because of the suppression of the black vote. And even Ulysses S. Grant, right, the great winner of the Civil War, the great pro Civil Rights President, he did not think the Republican Guarantee Clause all of a sudden authorized the president.
Speaker 4: The election of nineteen sixties and throw.
Speaker 3: These all out. But my boys, there's no president has ever read this clause. No one's ever read this clause. Is this reservoir of.
Speaker 5: But that doesn't mean it's not possible.
Speaker 3: Let me let me ask just that no one's ever thought it meant that. Let me anyone at the time of the founding.
Speaker 1: Let me try a hypothetical question on you, John, like we do in law school classrooms, and you want to be careful because it might be a trick question.
Speaker 3: Suppose it's coming from you, Steve, You're just doing a double trick upon yourself.
Speaker 1: With you you laughing now, to quote that great line from Bucko Bonds, I laugh while you can, monkey boy, you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna get okay. I suppose so.
Speaker 1: By the way, Lucretia mentioned or made brief reference to the fact that the states have tried to use the Republican Guarantee clause, I was following a case out of Colorado that went for a decade, bouncing up and down between circuit and federal court, and it was an attempt to overturn the initiative that had the taxpayer Bill of Rights.
Speaker 2: The liberals brought this.
Speaker 1: And it got tossed out, but it took ten years to the appeals court to keep sending it back to the district court saying no, try again, and they repleted all that stuff. The funny thing was is that I knew people on both sides of the case who both at one point approached me about being an expert witnessed. I said, look, I don't know anything about this stuff that I just was curious about it. They didn't have anybody who even thought about it.
Speaker 3: See, that's why you would never make it as a lawyer, because no lawyer would ever say such a thing. I'll take that price and first, and then you'll learn about it.
Speaker 2: Second, here's my hypothetical for you.
Speaker 1: Suppose the voters of California or the legislature doesn't matter, but they pass a constitutional amendment that made Arnold Schwarzenegger the Emperor of California for life. Would that be beyond the reach of the federal courts to say no, you can't do that, or is that is the remedy only courts?
Speaker 3: The federal courts say they can't touch it, so it will.
Speaker 2: Let me follow this along here for a moment.
Speaker 3: They say, it's up to the other branches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so but you just conceded John that there are parts of the Constitution that are beyond the reach of you lawyers.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 2: What I now.
Speaker 4: I mean, remember apportion was once beyond.
Speaker 3: Think about what this would do. Think about your power, Lucretian and Steve. If it were in the hands of President AOC or the president hands of President Warren, they would say, I'm going to reject the votes of states that require voter I D because the evidence shows that voter I D suppresses my suppresses my not right minority. Turn out for.
Speaker 4: Elections shows that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they say, there's no evidence that any of these fake votes you're talking about to change the outcome of any election. Everybody, Lucia smacked.
Speaker 4: No, No, I didn't. My camera just decided it doesn't like me anymore. It just moved. I didn't do anything. I know, I didn't. It's way up here. Click, it doesn't like me. It just turned away.
Speaker 1: How funny, listeners, if you want to see this on YouTube, it's pretty funny.
Speaker 4: The camera nobody around and all right, okay, sorry.
Speaker 1: Let us just let's draw this second to an end while Lucretia tries to regain control.
Speaker 2: It's got hal nine thousand.
Speaker 4: On you, Lucretia, I can't do this is a visit.
Speaker 3: Why don't you just stop it with your hand?
Speaker 5: I can't, It's all it's supposedly this fancy, this fancy thing that that that follows.
Speaker 4: Me around and I haven't moved. Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: So many directions. All right, so we will either of clause for another day. But it's a nullody in certain ways, maybe not others. But let's go to a break and then we'll come back with a couple of new things for the rebooted three Whiskey Happy Hour.
Speaker 2: Don't go away, all right, listeners.
Speaker 1: Now we are going to have the first of two new features that we're going to try and have every week on the show. And the first one's going to be a cameo from Alex Preu are adjunct classical scholar, And so without further ado, here's Alex pri Youu. So, Alex pre you, you have forgotten more about the classical world than I will ever know or have ever known. And the reaction of the Odyssey movie seems to me quite astonishing in this respect. It's become a huge phenomenon opinion that's divided, not necessarily in predictable ideological lines. Right, some conservatives like it, some don't, some liberals or leftists like it, and many don't.
Speaker 2: And so I thought.
Speaker 1: To myself, I need to go to the person whose views I would trust the most. I would describe you an audience as the genus is Skellius and Robergium, I Bertian of the Athens Advertiser newspaper. So is it two thumbs up or two thumbs down? And give me your two or three best shots about it.
Speaker 6: I'm tempted. I'm tempted. It's we're going into ancient to say I wouldn't I wouldn't even send my dulos to this, to this movie. But I'm a thumb up and the thumb down kind of guy, and the thumb up I should begin positive. I did a podcast and I've had a few tweets about this. Well, it was kind of hard on it, and I want to just offer a positive thing given this opportunity, which is that visually it's it's in many ways quite sunny. It's not you know, it's not representative of the Greeks. Actually is not like period correct in it. But like seeing the Cyclops, watching Circe turn the men into pigs, the way that it's it's rendulous. Even seeing the Liftians coming through, even when you're losing the story it is it's cool. I mean, it's just cool to see it rot in great effect on the screen and see how he's presented the Cyclops in this deformed way. The way he did his face is it's not one eye like a circle in the head, but it's kind of the face is distorted up and it's one eye and then a distorted nose and and and just parts of that. To see that rendered well, is it's worth seeing for that. I saw it twice just to make sure because you're going to criticize something, I think you should give it, you know, make sure you get your details right. But and then also you know, sometimes when you make a movie out of a massive epig like this, you take things out. You can't do the whole thing. And when you take things out, you create holes and you have to patch it up together. And I think Nolan found some interesting ways to get around sort of long stretches of the odyssey, that would be tough, and so I give him a thumbs up for those kind of moves. The thumbs down is as regards the content. I think he completely changes the story, and I think he does this deliberately, and and he in a way, I think he looks down on the Greeks from a standpoint of contemporary moral self satisfaction and unearned I should say, if you look down on somebody because you've outthought them, and you know, for me to say Nolan has done this, but that's fine, fair enough. But if you if you're just kind of content with your world and you look down on them, that's I think a problem. And this comes out in a number of details which we could get into if you want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean Nolan's certainly, you know, he doesn't like to use CGI, so he likes to do real effects. And He's certainly, as we've seen from all his movies, really does like the what you say, the vivid canvas. So that shouldn't surprise us that the production of it is really staggering.
Speaker 2: Do I detect on what you just said that?
Speaker 6: I mean, is it?
Speaker 1: Are we doing too much of the cliche to say he has a historicist point of view about it, that you know, we have a better perspective than they did, and.
Speaker 6: Historicist would be to make it too theoretical. I think. I think it's just a bias for contemporary views, right, And there is a kind of historicism to the film actually when you really look at it, which is, you know, there's all this stuff where Odyssey says, I'm going into the Unknown West, and I think it's alluding forward to later Western history. Some people have mistaken a lot of the Christian imagery to apply that Nolan is pushing a Christian view. No, that's part of the Unknown West's future. The ultimate sort of standpoints going toward is the contemporary moment, and the theological is therefore downplayed. Right, it's much more humanistic, it's much more tolerant. Is the view that it's very much worrying about the oppressed minority groups. Groups oppressed by namely a kind of imperial capitalism is seems to be what Agamemnon represents. And from this perspective, the Greeks look like a very backwards kind of people, and Agamemnon is a represent when he comes through Troy. It's an orange background with his black armor, and it looks like Greek pottery. This is the truth of Greek art therefore also of Homer, I think, is what he's saying. But his Odysseus has been modern modernized, right. His Odysseus is kinder, he's less coolly, doesn't feel good about being a Greek. And at one point when he comes to his first island after leaving Troy, he encounters a foreigner and he has to have a translator. The person speaking there is speaking Greek. So it's his way of saying, my Odysseus is not Greek, right, And the way in which he's not Greek is he is gentler. And so another detail just to I've talked to others before. But when he sees ury Clay and Urclay identifies him, he puts his hand on his on her chin, and in the original Odyssey, as you will know, right, he throttles her and grabs her by the neck and strangles her to keep her quiet. It's a very very drawing moment. So when I saw that on the screen, when he brought his hand or chin, I got tense in my cel was always going to do it, And that's Nolan, I think, deliberately saying no, I'm not going to go there. He'll win her over with gentleness, which is what happens. She's quiet out of a kind of fondness. My Odysseus doesn't do that anymore, and that I think is a Nolan's saying, I actually think the Greeks are really backwards and primitive and overly violent, and we're out of that. And the Odysseus I like, or the part of Odysseus I like, is the part that wants to go home and wants to restore peace. But he does it in a backwards way. I'm going to make him do it in a much more forward thinking, progressive way. Right. Well, that to me was a big thumbs down. That's missing the whole point of the work.
Speaker 2: Let's do this as an exit question.
Speaker 1: If you want, now you you actually translate ancient Greek complete texts.
Speaker 2: I don't. I barely know a word of it.
Speaker 1: Am I right in disliking the Emily Wilson translation as much as I do.
Speaker 2: I've only read a translation I like Latimore and to others that are around a while a lot better.
Speaker 6: I've not read it. I've seen some criticisms, read some criticisms. I really like Latimore. I was asked to cheat Fagels last year, and I really found myself correcting it way too much. But Latimore is very faithful to the degree that I at least require in the classroom, and I feel very confident reading him in English. And then when a passage really jumps out at me or I think it's interesting, I'll work through the Greek. And they are little things. Obviously no translator gets all the subtlety, but for the most part, you're in good hands with Latimore. So I don't want to criticize Wilson. That was funny. She was also critical of the film, but from the left right. People the right didn't like it. People on the left didn't like it, and it ends up being a kind of mediocre contempt version of contemporary morality. Though I think it was more leftist. So one guy reacted to my criticism and said, oh, this isn't woke, this is neoliberal, And I said, I think. I think the accusation of neoliberalism from the left is just a way of saying true wokeism has never been tried. Right, It's it's like pointing to the Soviet Union and saying, oh, the Soviet Union, that's not real communists, And it's just the same sort of thing. It's like, No, it's got woke elements. The pure victims of the film are an African actress and a transactor and or actress, depending on how you come down on it, and they're they're viewed as pure victims. That's a conscious effort to make the victims look a certain way and be a kind of woke, woke version, to say nothing of the casting playing into Oscar woke Oscar rules. So yeah, I think it's it's work, but you know, for the woke crowd, it's never woke enough, of course. Not.
Speaker 2: Hey, Alex, thanks for this.
Speaker 1: We'll have it back again soon with some other classical moment, and certainly when your book comes out next year, we'll want to have you back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course, yeah, thanks for having me. Steven cheers.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Alex.
Speaker 1: And now the next feature we're going to try and corporate is a listener question, and some episodes we may do more than one. But we've got a very good question from a longtime listener and reader named Ed Anderson in Los Angeles, adds an old pal, and he wrote this to me the following. There's another thing that rankles me. Why do so many people on the right buy into the left's abuse of language? In other words, labeling leftists socialist communist policies as progressive progress is something good?
Speaker 2: Is it not?
Speaker 1: So you pose the left's plans, you must be against progress or regressive.
Speaker 2: I noticed that even you, he means me, use that word.
Speaker 1: Is this just a surrender like blue states and red states, or as even anti communist Pat Buchanan used to say, calling it the Soviet Republic when there was nothing republican about the administrative states of dictatorship. It seems that the left is winning everywhere, and so I think that's actually a worthy challenge, is problem of language, and I've got lots.
Speaker 2: Of thoughts on it.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to start first by asking Lucretia, who looks like she has her camera under control.
Speaker 4: I have a thing of.
Speaker 5: Fountain pen cartridges holding it in the same place. Anyway, it is a good question. I'm going to start with this specific question, and then I think we move on to the broader question about language and how the left has co opted our language across the board. I don't find progressive to be in and of itself a complimentary term or a salutary term. I you know, maybe that's because I'm a conservative, right, But I mean the idea behind progressivism, the progress to which they aspire, is, of course, the idea that human beings are infinitely maliable and can be made too anything into anything. Society can be made into anything that will satisfy the tyrannical impulses of the left, and that's what they.
Speaker 4: Mean by progress.
Speaker 5: And you know, so we're progressing because we went from say, feminist being allowed to work in the.
Speaker 4: Workplace, to.
Speaker 5: Transgender men pretending to be women going into little girls' locker rooms, and that somehow progress right, and in the eyes of the left it is I don't have a problem with that word. I will give Steve a shout out. I told him this yesterday met In twenty sixteen, Steve wrote for The Weekly Standard. It was probably the most pro Trump piece that The Weekly Standard actually ever published prior to the twenty sixteen election. If they'd have kept doing that, they might still be in business. But anyway, and one of the things Steve made very clear, I've never forgotten this. I mean I read a million articles, but I've never forgotten this. And it's not just because Steve wrote it. Is that, in fact, what your comment or said, this is true. The left owns our language and they force us all of the time into speaking in the language that they use.
Speaker 4: I just did it. Transgender.
Speaker 5: What a stupid term. Gender refers to language. It doesn't refer to sex. You could call it a transsex, but of course they don't want to do that, because even the most deluded leftists recognize that sex probably is something relatively immutable xx x y, et cetera. But we always talk in terms of leftist goals and leftist language. And back to Steve's point that he made, he said the thing about Trump that was different more so than any anything else, more that that differentiated him from other conservatives like Ted Cruz, who commented that, yes, we use the left's language. We don't know how not to speak the language of the left. And it's been a long time Steve since I read it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's awards in your mouth.
Speaker 2: It is actually worse than that.
Speaker 1: The quote I used was after the twenty twelve election, when Republicans during this autopsy we've been too mean to immigrants, and Cruse said at a Nash Review meeting, he said a conservative social policy ideas have to be filtered through and get the approval of a Raulsian filter.
Speaker 2: I was just appalled.
Speaker 1: I mean to ad think he knows better than that, but he actually but that show is a concession to by the way, I think Ralsanism was disappearing. Believe that for another day, because that is really boring.
Speaker 2: But I was Ama said that before.
Speaker 4: I turned it over to John.
Speaker 5: I just want to add one little thing about this, and that is that not only has the left co opted the language, but they have co opted that's not the right word. They have managed to soften the meaning of words that people that are intelligent actually understand. John, You mean we understand our listeners understand exactly what we mean when we talk.
Speaker 4: About socialism, when we talk.
Speaker 5: About communism, when we talk about fascism, when we talk about not But the left has successfully convinced an entire generation of young people, probably several generations now that socialism is a good thing. They don't understand the single thing about the economic side of it, or the political side of it, or the tyrannical side of it. But that pull that came out just a couple days ago that said three quarters of Democrats would vote for a socialist candidate for office, and forty eight percent of college graduates would vote for a socialist for office. And that's just downright scary. And again that's where they've taken socialism and turned it into something kind of cute and cozy, like a little stuffed Kiwi doll or something, you know. And of course socialism has been the source of so much human suffering everywhere it's been tried, but.
Speaker 4: It hasn't been real socialism. I'm sorry, John, Well, do you want to weigh in, John?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't mind calling political parties, but they want to be called so uh you know, like the Democratic Party, you know, for many many decades was not very democratic, especially when they were Democrats defending you know, slavery, defending segregation. Still will call them the Democratic Party. Doesn't really bother me to call progressives progressives, in part because I think the reputation of the progressives is uh, you know, coming into question right. The original progressives who today's are just a you know, somewhat pale limitation. Uh you know, we're uh you know, great fans of eugenics and segregation and this idea that they could manage all society without regard to anybody's rights. They were kind of, uh, I don't know, you guys, I don't know what you think. They were kind of sort of Marxists. They're definitely Hegelians, right, because they thought history was always moving in a in direction towards progress, and they see Marxists to me too, right, And Marx was a Hegelian also, So I don't have any problem calling progressives by that. I do take Linda's point. There's that great essay by George Orwell right about political I just pulled it up, the use of the politicization of language. But I think Lucretia's example of transgenderism is a good one because to me, it's a good example because it shows that when the political left stretches language so far that it conflicts with people's common sense, that the people rejected right. So they could call transgender whatever they want, but it's an eighty twenty issue in favor of conservatives, because no matter what the language is, it's just so at conflict with everybody's right, common sense wisdom that it shows that their efforts, the use of the language actually makes the case worse and it becomes obvious to everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can I work backwards and start Actually in two thousand and seven, for a moment, Hillary Clinton, everyone thought she was going to be the nominee. Right, she made a statement one day, I'm not a liberal, I'm a progressive, And I thought, isn't that interesting? We're circling all the way back to a century ago. Why that was important is during the eighties, to do a little history here, Conservatives Republicans were so successful in demonizing the word liberal the Democrats ran away from it, right, Docucus, This isn't about ideology, it's about competence.
Speaker 2: And you know, we didn't want to be called a liberal.
Speaker 1: And that was the biggest Republican attack attack, he ads, was you're a liberal person.
Speaker 2: So that was a great short run political success.
Speaker 1: Why did we get progressive in the first place one hundred and twenty years ago, party, It's because liberal meant the opposite of.
Speaker 2: What it means now.
Speaker 1: And you know, Wilson starts the hijacking of liberal and FDR completes it, turning it on head. Right. It used to mean, you know, freedom, limited government and so forth. I do remember you still, by the way, it does still have that meaning a lot of places overseas, So the Free Market Limited Government Party in New Zealand and Australia, but also Eastern Europe are the liberal parties. But in Eastern Europe they have you know, Slavic names, so we don't recognize it as such. But I remember having a bunch of Eastern European students twenty years ago now in Georgetown when I was teaching here as an adjunct, and these Eastern European students, we'd go through current events and stuff, and they'd say, Hillary Clinton, John Carey, they're not liberals, they're socialists. So there's what's happened is the progressive became a way out of the liberalism label, and now it's kind of caught on. And you know, it would be nice that there's been a lot of debate over the years, especially among libertarians, but others like Gosh, because the way we could reclaim liberalism from the left and you know, from the Democrats, and I think it's a lost cause.
Speaker 2: It's just too deeply embedded.
Speaker 1: The Cato instance, twenty years ago, try to promote the term market liberalism, and that flopped. And then Brink Lindsay tried to double down with what he called liberal tarianism, and that flopped even harder. I mean, stupid idea is liberal tarianism. You get a whole book about it. It sounds like sour kraut ice cream. It's just ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I do think, though, Lucretia, that you know, the.
Speaker 1: Founders you can find again Madison, certainly Hamilton. They were for progress and I think used the word but then the ordinary common sense meaning right, life just gets better for people and it has.
Speaker 5: I mean, let's let's be honest, right, Let's let's talk about what progress, good progress really means. Let's talk about the fact that in in half an hour Lucretia can go out and cook a meal for six people in about fifteen minutes because of all of the amenities of modern society, you know, whereas.
Speaker 4: H grill But you know, but no, no, that was a dumb example.
Speaker 5: I you know, four loads of laundry done today, the kinds of things that have made life so air conditioning, John, air conditioning is progress, yeah, right, I mean it's one hundred here today and very humid, unlike it usually is so. Yes, there is such a thing as progress. What I meant was that their idea of progress, of course, isn't progress for the human condition. It's progress for what humans become and what society can become.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, I will I mean having beaten up on Cato. First, I loved ed Crane, who passed away recently. Second, their best project today is actually their program called human progress dot org, which quantifies all that those things can.
Speaker 4: I tell you my liberal poem.
Speaker 1: Just let me add one thing about such devices. I just learned this the other day, and I think it's kind of fun. Did you know when the microwave was first invented, it was called the cavity magnetron.
Speaker 2: I'm not making this up.
Speaker 5: I'm calling it that from now on, when it's in a drawer. It's so cool, cavity magnetron. I get write that down because I'll forget Steve.
Speaker 3: Steve would never use in my grave. He just takes like some kind of gas, turns it on and uses a flamethrower to shoot over his.
Speaker 5: Me so cool, I want to flame throw. No, here's my poem. I'm liberal to a degree. I think everyone should be free.
Speaker 4: But if you.
Speaker 5: Think that I would let Burry Goldwater move next door.
Speaker 4: To me or marry my daughter. You're crazy?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Is that you never heard that old poems? It's from forty five fifty years ago.
Speaker 1: I thought it's It reminds me an inverse of the great phil Oaks to and love Me. I'm a liberal, which I'll skip over for now because we are running short, running around.
Speaker 2: Let me do it. Let me do just a quick ad break here.
Speaker 1: Then we'll do some Babylon b's and we'll give you a couple of stabs at are new ending, and we'll.
Speaker 2: Be out for the newly rebooted three Whiskey Happy hours.
Speaker 6: Don't go old.
Speaker 4: Democrats.
Speaker 5: Use Fauci's Diary of Attacking Science. Okay, this one's for you, guys. Mitch McConnell honors late friend Lindsey Graham with forty seven day moment of Silence.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's got bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know it's bad.
Speaker 5: Okay, Fauci asks, I gotta have a few Fauci ones. Fauci asked China to engineer new virus that just kills Ran Paul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know that. So Mandel MEI so I can't say the guy's name. Let me do this one, man. It's a picture of Fauci man who took nations constitutional rights, claims protection by constitutional right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you get it.
Speaker 5: Okay, one last one. I'm trying to pick the best one. Okay, this one's good because I don't know if you guys are up on this.
Speaker 4: It just came out.
Speaker 5: But the gram Platinum replacement Troy uh Troy Jackson. Troy Jackson, it turns out is married and has a couple of kids with his cousin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so to avoid.
Speaker 5: Yess a picture of them both.
Speaker 4: Yes, to avoid criticisms. I know. The thing was when I first when I first.
Speaker 3: Saw it the United States.
Speaker 5: The caption on it was just give us back the damn Nazi. But but this is this is my last Bablon bute. To avoid criticism for hooking up with his cousin, Troy Jackson converts to Islam.
Speaker 2: Thinks are bad.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm don.
Speaker 2: All right, listeners.
Speaker 1: The the reboot of the still a work in progress.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: We're going to have a new ending. We are going to have a guest host next week. I think John you said you've texted him. It's going to be Philmon Notre Dame, who's got neuter Dame con who's got an interesting new article out on post liberalism that we'll work over with him. And we're also looking and I think couple have a listener poll about a new sort of exit motto. We might go back to don't forget to milk the soft power dividend. I kind of like, we'll just have to see what happens. I think that's Trump's most memorable line. It's very usable, right, And I'm working on a swag store, So if you want three Whiskey Happy Hour, coffee mugs, hats, t shirts, swag bags, maybe even you know, water bottle, I'm gonna try and get that set up sometime soon.
Speaker 2: It's just a matter of executing. And with that, I will just say the Three Whiskey Happy Hour is sponsored by the.
Speaker 1: Civitas Institute at u T Austin, hosted by Ricochet dot com. Please give us a five star review at wherever you do your podcast sourcing.
Speaker 2: I guess you can say it that way.
Speaker 1: And goodbye from all of us for this week, and be sure to tell your friends to pour a dram and pull up a chair and join us next week.
Speaker 5: Bye everybody, Bye bye.
Speaker 3: It's one hundred and six miles to Chicago.
Speaker 1: We got a pull tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes.
Speaker 3: It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Speaker 6: Hit it, Ricochet.
Speaker 2: Join the conversation.