Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's nit coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, better late than never? Right, a little late here to get the four o'clock hour started. Apologies, clock management never a strong suit of line management. Clock management. I don't go. I don't get to break at times. I it's s story of my life, Tommy. I mean I've had I've had timing really work out well for me in a lot of ways. So maybe this is just you know what I'm what I deal with to where I just don't have the self discipline to pay attention to the clock and you know, get out of here for a break when we need to said clock right, yes, okay with an owl, yep, that's right. So again, better late than ever. It's the four o'clock hour. Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's A on a March Monday, beautiful beautiful day, and it's gonna be sun There's gonna be sunny outside when we leave here today. That makes me happy, Austin. It's not gonna be dark. In fact, it hasn't been dark when we left in a while. But at least you know, it's starting to get dark now. No, we've got we've got. We lost an hour this weekend, but it was worth it. Did that kick your ass? Has your body felt that or so? My body didn't feel it as far as like sleep, but I don't remember it being you know, two days removed, and I feel like, no, wait a second, no, Like, it's not three o'clock, it's two o'clock. You know what I mean. Like I've looked at the clock and realized, yes, I know that that technically what it shows me is the actual correct time, but like you know, I hadn't adjusted yet, so I'm like, wait a second, Like I'm still I'm still right now in the mode of calling them liars by claiming that it's actually four o weight because in fact, I know it's three oight. But you guys just sped us up, and you know, it'll take me a little while to get used to it. But yeah, today went by really really fast. Therefore I'm just thinking, well, it's because you know, I started the day the same time I typically do, so therefore I've had the same amount of time. It's just yet it's uh, it's taken some getting used to it. About you did you feel like you like short weekend? Right?
Speaker 3: Yes, it felt it felt like I worked all weekend and it felt like, Thank goodness, my alarm went off very well this weekend. But I've I feel like I've just been feeling it. Dude, I don't know what it is. Hit a wall, huh, Absolutely, But I mean, hey, hopefully, Mary, hopefully we were able to save that daylight. Everything that we've went through, you know, it was pretty crazy. And I talked about this with my pops not too long ago. Was because we have the the boat show. Remember if for the boat show, I think that's like late January, early February, and that's when you're we're we're in full swing. That's when I think when we went it was like six degrees outside where we were really into the thick of it with wintertime. But it seems like around here, once we get to the boat show, that's like a really good telling that we're just literally right around the corner from the spring. Everyone's getting out looking at all their their summer activity stuff and and you know, everything like that. So literally once we hit that, it's been all like cruising from there.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, it was great. Now this is what's crazy is that we we had a great weekend and it got warmer as the days have gone on. It was just warmer, you know, Saturday was nice, and then it got warmer yesterday, and then of course today's beautiful. We've got a high of seventy one, seventy seventy three on Saturday, so I mean it's gonna be warmer then again a week from now we've got highs in the fifties, which isn't terrible, but man, to get like a you know, to get the stretch we're about to get here, five six days straight of just really not only warm weather but sunny, yeah, and no humidity. And of course it's not going to be that cold like that. That that'll be a real tease if we do end up getting revisited by by the winter weather, because I mean, I don't think we're gonna get like any snow, but even if it got like cold again, like I would be like, come on, now, I thought we were older this. I thought I thought we were past this. But anyways, you guys want to join us on the show, you can Fiboso five seven seventy nine, one hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. You can also text it on the Eleen and Federal Credit Union text line FABO two four three eight ninety seventy three. Oh. You'll have it down by the end of this week. I think so, I think I will. We were talking about the uh how I still hadn't remembered the new text line just yet. I'm having to reference my notes here every time, just because I don't want to slip up and get it wrong. But eventually, I'm sure I'll get I'll get it down. But we had somebody, well, if we started talking about phone numbers, like this day and age, you really don't need to remember a number because most people who use a phone use a cell phone and they save contacts to where you don't even see the number. We had somebody after that conversation ask if we remembered our license plate numbers. And I remember mine for a weird reason, but most people, I would assume don't. But what about this, Do you know your Social Security number off the top of your head? Austin? Oh, yes, okay, because I don't know how as an adult you wouldn't remember it. I feel like you just need it for everything. Yeah, I mean when you sign up for stuff, I mean, sports books, for It's very true, for sure. Yeah, But even like when you become an adult and you've got to start filling out all your paperwork, you do it so many times in that early stages of adulthood to where the repetition is going to make it to where it's gonna be hard for you to forget it. And you've and honestly, the last four is what really separates you from most and then the other numbers I guess could be it can it can be different, but you know a lot of you know, depending on your age, that kind of stuff. The other numbers before the last four, you know, those are usually I shouldn't say they're easy to just remember, but like that makes sense. I mean I have, like I've got repetition I can give you. I mean, just like you do a phone number like da Da Da da, Like you know my my social which I'm not going to give it away, but you know it's three and then the two and then I know my last four because my last four, Like there's a lot of things I feel like like even I don't have it set up that way now on our in our system, but if they were going to give you like a default password for something within like your company, and you needed to like set up your own one thing that I know a lot of places will do. That's just the last four of yours is your code until you put your own in or something like that. But what always gets me and I I've talked about this before, there's a lot of different worlds within TikTok. You can get. You can get on cooking TikTok, you know, police, body cam TikTok, dancing TikTok. I mean, there's all kinds of different worlds within that platform, and the algorithm knows you and gives you what you most likely want to watch when you watch TikTok. So I didn't. I didn't plan looking for this, but it somehow became part of my algorithm on TikTok long long ago, and it still is, and I still find myself not being able to just turn off a real good five part TikTok video of like a body cam camera from a cop when he pulls somebody over, Like I don't know what it like. I didn't. I didn't watch a lot of cops when I was a kid, but like seeing these people who get like, it's really satisfying to see people get what they deserve, meaning get arrested. And it also reminded me that I'm sure, like, regardless of what you may think, and I'm sure there have been some clear examples of where they didn't want their body came on because they were not being great officers. These guys gotta love the transparency they get by like, yeah, you're gonna, You're gonna. I would there should be a show. I can create a show and it would get it would get a lot, and by we wouldn't have to pay off for because all the all the body cam footage stuff is just public record, like you just put it at records request, and it's content people would want to see. But somebody in court having to watch the bodycam footage when they were lunatics and got arrested when they were drunk and got the UIs like, do you know how satisfying it would be to it, because it's the satisfaction is great to see them ultimately get arrested and you know, like you know, they get served what they deserve, but then to see them also kind of have to like view that that would be so rewarding getting their just deserves. So anyways, what I was getting at is when I watch those, you won't believe how many times people don't have an ID and then they don't know their social and about none that of every ten videos that I watch where somebody is told to identify themselves and they claim they don't have their license, they're usually lying about who they are. They have warrants and they don't want people to know. And then whenever you know, they can't pull them up because they have a generic name, they then try to get them by their social and then they say they don't know their social and again the officers now call them out, like most of them call them out and say, how do you not know your social I don't know? I no, no, no, no, it's it's always because you are hiding who you are because you either don't have a license or it's suspended, or you are wanted because you have a warrant. So anyways, I don't believe anybody who as an adult that has had you know, that has had real life experiences like you know, being an adult, like if you're thirty and older and you don't know your social I find that to be highly suspect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a little side streak to go down there, and you might be a little bit more in touch with the law than I am, So this might be a stupid question.
Speaker 2: In touch with the law, what do you mean, like knowing what's legal and what's not. Yeah, okay, let's just say that.
Speaker 3: So, like you get pulled over by a cop, if you, like, are you in trouble if you don't have your ID, Like it's one of those.
Speaker 2: You're supposed to have it, You're supposed to have it on you. But if you just simply like forgot your wallet, Yeah, and you're an upstanding citizen with no warrants, no traffic tickets, sure they can run your they can get they can pull your information without the ID, and then it's really the officer's discretion, I believe, as far as do they want to cite you for not having your license?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: If you just if you if you got pulled over for going seven over the speed limit and you had no record, no criminal history, no traffic tickets, nothing, I would imagine that the cop would probably run your information, see all that, and then they probably would just give you a warning about one going going seven over and also not having your license, so they could be they can be jerks if they want, as far as I think citing you for it. But you know, I don't think you'll actually get in any because it happens people forget there. I mean, heck, I've left the house without my all the time. Yeah, I mean it's you know, so uh, it's not it's not actually having a license that will get you. And there's a lot of people out there driving they don't have one, yeah, or like registration go any other legal questions. I've watched, I've watched, I've watched enough bodycam footage to uh to at least be dangerous when it comes to knowing, because what's what what is also really satisfying is the people who think they know I know my rights and and and they don't know they actually do not know at all what they are legally allowed to do, and like what right they have, Like this belief that you don't like that that the officer cannot ask you to get out of the car is a lot. They can absolutely can, and they can reference the case law. They do it all the time that says we have on a traffic stop, we have the right to request that you removed, that you you get out of the vehicle, and you know they you know, they usually don't, but like if they do, they're not they're not violating your rights. And it's pretty it's pretty clear. And yet there's so many people that think they know that in the and they're wrong. Uh. And then also once you just like all right, I need to see your sergeant because I'm not getting out. This is ridiculous. Yeah, that's that's when it turns into where it becomes a whole thing and you get made an example out of because like you probably didn't do anything super legal until you started becoming a headache and refusing to obey lawful orders and then becoming you know, a jerk about it, and if you try to wait it out, they will break your window in. Yeah, I mean they shouldn't do that. I mean, I'm'm sure they don't want to do that. But like, I don't know why I get such satisfaction in seeing people basically get what they deserve for thinking that they know things that they don't. And really, I would have, you know, out of side, out of mind, Like I don't sit around oftentimes and think about law enforcement and how they're treated that kind of stuff. And clearly there's some bad apples in that bunch. We all know that. But I'm glad I at least have the trans there's transparency out there to where I can watch, you know, countless officers pulling people over or showing up to investigate something because somebody called the law, and you know, they're they're treated like garbage by people, you know, for you know, for no reason a lot. So had I never you know, fallen in this world of TikTok and seeing that, I wouldn't have really known that. And again there's there's bad cops, there's good cops, but like there's so many people that end up in trouble with the law just because they don't know any better, like meaning they think that they are invincible and they don't have to listen to any authority. And really when you just push it push, like you how many times, Oh, you're gonna lose your job? I'm suing you? Oh you you? Oh your badge number better be on the report. Like they think that they have the ability to like make some calls and get a cop fired, and like sometimes people do that and they're just drunk idiots, right, But other times it's just entitled buffoons. Yeah that like you know, think that they they know. I mean, they just live in their own world.
Speaker 3: I guess about show idea cops, but just straight law abiding citizens. It's the most boring routine. Stop ever, let me get your license, let me run it all right, You're good to go, and that's the end of it. Cause I feel like I grew up my dad. We used to sit around and love watching cops tamement tonight and then like the Simpsons or however however that schedule went. But it seems like, I don't know, seven out of ten, eight out of ten times when people are in like high speed chases with the cops, or they decide to get out and like ditch somebody and run, and it turns into like jumping fences, like it's point break. It's like it all starts out with the basic like, look, I just pulled you over because you're your blinkered it.
Speaker 2: Oh, that happens all the time. Man. It turned into this like now we discovered that you have pot in your car. Now we discovered that you're drunk. All you had to do was just like you play the game Oh, there's that. There are so many videos that I that I've watched that are exactly that to where it ends up being a whole thing. And by the time they're in cuffs in the back seat, maybe they're bloody because they wrecked a car, or they ran and had to get they had to have the doll that the police cadon take them down. Once it's like all over, the cop is so like frustrated, not like, you know, feeling good that they had to do that. They're like, why do weren't you just honest with us and just tell us to you know, if you had a little bit of weed, it wasn't it wasn't gonna be a big deal. Oh you're you're you're driving on a suspended license. You know, if it's the first time you've done that, you shouldn't do it. But what we can do is have your car towd and give you a citation and not take you to jail. And you ran and committed want endangerment and all these felonies, and it's like it's it's and it's usually I mean, it's not like a kid. It's usually an adult that does stuff like this. But even like the younger cops than the people they are arresting, are like, what are you doing? Like you didn't have to do all that? Like you made like you you clearly just decided to make a really bad decision and really ruin your life, when in a way, it could have been something much more minor. Although a lot of them, a lot of them who claim like you know, I usually if it's something real small and they end up lying and getting themselves in more trouble, it's because deep down they have more to hide. They just they just they don't. They don't do a good job of, you know, fold under pressure. I mean, you can read when somebody's nervous, I would imagine when you pull them over. And that's what that's what's always been scary to me because I've been pulled over three times in my life. I got my first speeding ticket on my way to work about year and a half ago. Oh and I I know that I don't have illegal drugs on me. I know that I'm not a criminal. I know that I have no warrants. But when the three times the officer has been walking to my door, I'm not sure I've ever been more scared in my life that heartbeat. I mean, yeah, and I got nothing. It's like my wife used to say this that we'll be going through security at the airport and she's like super nervous, and I'm like why, and she's like, I don't know, I don't know, and she's and she's like, I just have an instant panic that like who knows, maybe somebody put drugs in my bag. And I'm just like I guess, I said, I guess. It's kind of me with cops, like I know I've got nothing to hide. I know that even if I do get a ticket, like I'm not going to jail, but I just because I get nervous. I wonder if I look that nervous and then they think, Okay, maybe this guy's really got something to hide here. But then again, I'm sure I'm not that. I mean, I'm sure it's not a super common thing, but I'm I can't be the old one that getting pulled over, even as an adult. And even though it's you know, happened to have it a few times to me, like, I still get really scared. Of course, it's.
Speaker 3: Literally like at the coming back from the Brett Michaels concert last weekend.
Speaker 2: Really bro yes with with with with Pops. The Kirkster was actually driving and.
Speaker 3: I knew we did staies you in Indiana as coming back from French Lick. It was late as like one or two o'clock. It is probably like the guy, he probably hasn't gotten anybody.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe they're looking for people to leave an event like that because they know, of course that's when they can get that's when they can get their things. But I know, like I see the lights flash in the rear view, and I'm like, is that for us? I know, like and you still get kind of nervous when you see those red, white blue lights flash. But like I know that there's no illegal substances in the car.
Speaker 2: I know that we didn't. I mean I drink, but I know, like my dad didn't drink, and he's the one driving. I think.
Speaker 3: It turns out we're going like eight miles over the speed limit. It is the quickest stop ever. Turns out the cop that pulled us over as like from Louisville too, and live like all over Louisville. So he was like pretty cool to see us. But it was one of those like yeah, I've been sitting here all night. I had I had to at least say I pulled over somebody kind of deal. But that was ticket or warning.
Speaker 2: No, I was just warning good, I mean irazy what happens when you comply. I feel like you would be good at talking your way out of a ticket, like with not without even like you know, you put it this way the way you are really good about not being in any way like over the top about it. But you can use the iHeart logo on a vehicle and on your on your clothing and on your badge. You can use it and get more than anybody that I've realized without being like begging, you know what I mean? Yeah, make sense? So like you've got that power. So yeah, you've got like that subtle way of kind of like you know, I didn't plan on letting you out of it with a warning, but you know what, go ahead, Yeah, like you know, I mean, I mean it's a compliment too. By the way, Sorry, sir, I was just coming back from a concert. We were, yeah, having a good night. Officer. Yeah, sorry, officer. Did you say you wanted something to say? Something bourbon to be on tickets? It's not wrong with Yeah, I mean, I mean, well, yeah, I guess so, but we were kidding. We were kidding, all right, never do that, all right, So real quick, where we get to our next break. Louisville will have to wait until Thursday to play, which is a good thing. The ACC tournament will start tomorrow, but no more day is shamed for the cards. They are the number two seed. They're gonna play either Virginia Tech cal or Stanford. If it goes chalk, meaning the favorites win, then that means that they'll play Stanford for the second consecutive game. And you never know what's gonna happen, but clearly Louisville didn't have too much trouble with them on Saturday. Same thing for Kentucky. They'll play on Thursday, and they're gonna get the winner of Georgia and Oklahoma, two teams that you know dangerous enough to beat you, but also Kentucky. You know they should feel good about either of those teams. All right, quick break, We've got a lot more to get into, so stick around. The ACC is hiring basketball coaches, and I don't think so far that the hires that have been made are gonna certainly put us back in a good spot, meaning the acc no longer sucking.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, just a really good song, well done too. There's ever there's ever a time to play this song. It's it's today because Tommy tone. Yeah, this is a number. And by the way this is is is there's still this thing in movies and TV where you have to give a number that starts with five to five to five, just because like it's you know what I mean, like it was a known thing that those weren't real numbers, right, and uh, you know Mike Jones gave us his real number two A one three three eight zero zero four, right, And that song there, I mean, like there's I'm pretty sure it was that song or maybe there's another song I'm not thinking of that that had a phone number in it that led to all right, now you can because that was really somebody's phone number and they just got hit up all the time, like they got harassed. And it probably wasn't as easy to change your number back then as it is now or get a new number and all that kind of stuff. So anyways, the new number for our text line five O two four three eight ninety seventy three the l n N Federal Credit Union text line. All right, so a couple people have asked about the field of sixty eight giving Shire the National Coach of the Year award, Like if I you know, my thoughts on it and whatnot? Yeah, I mean he's hardly Yeah, I mean, well, my mind went in a different direction. I need to get back on track. We do that here. Yeah, it's it's part of it. But you know, John Shire was was deserving of all the praise that he's getting because Duke had a really good season. He did a good job with this scriup. Like, I can't tell you that he's not a good coach and that he didn't do a good job this year. I just think as much as he coached a really good team and deserves credit, I kind of feel like, even though it's been inconsistent at times, as far as really what the criteria is for a Coach of the Year, right, is it a guy who's coaching the best team or the guy who you know was overachieving the most, Like it really is. It's it's not been consistent. However, more often than not, it does go to somebody who did a lot more than people expected. Maybe you see a team's results and feel like, man, I'm not sure another coach would have been able to get these results. So that's more often than not, that's been the ultimate factor. That that that that that determines who wins this award. Like Rick Patino never won big He's Coach of the Year, never won acc Coach of the Year. You know why because when he was really, really good and even you know, when he had the best teams in those leagues, at times, it was what he was supposed to do, doesn't It's not it's not a discredit, it's just it's it doesn't stand out as you know, I don't know. You gotta balance it, right. It doesn't mean that their coaching wasn't a factor in their team being good, but also like they put together a really good team. Therefore, you know, maybe not it should have been the expectation they were as good as they are. But I just I don't know, I'm gonna get it. It's already happened. I kind of talked myself through the realization last week when we talked about these Coach of the Year awards, because I don't want to get worked up about it. I don't know why I care. I don't need any kind of validation for pack for you know, as far as Pat Kelsey getting a trophy or getting some hardware for me to know that he did a great job and Louisville was lucky to have him, and that the future seems to be really bright here. But just because of how impressive he's been this year and why, I just think, man, Louisville, There's a lot of factors in why things have played out the way they have for us, but him being a great coach and great leader is certainly to me the biggest one. And he's injected so much new life and I think he's clearly been able to get a lot out of this group, not only with a team built from scratch, but also again a team that lost two players. So I think it's gonna sound crazy, and I'm going to sound like such a homer and when I say this, but I feel like if you're going out of your if you're giving the award to somebody like Bruce Pearl or John Shire, when you've got really like something you never see at all happening, Like what's happening at Louisville and you choose to not give it to Kelsey and give it to one of those guys. It's like you're going out of your way to not disrespect Pat Kelsey, but almost like you're just wanting to go against the grain. You're wanting to, you know, just not fall to what is such an obvious decision here, which again it's by the way, for those already mentioning, we'll see what happens. Like these are regular season awards, folks, Like they mean, even if the award isn't given out until like next week, whatever Coach of the Year award we're talking about, like because there's a lot of them, they still take your vote during the regular season to or where you cannot factor in what happens in the postseason. So it's a regular season award. The regular season's over, and when you look at what Pat Kelsey's been able to do, I really just don't know how he can't be the obvious winner. It'd be different if you know Louisville was a bubble team, because even at that point he'd be deserving of a lot of credit. Let's be real, but Louisville went twenty five and six and is a top fifteen team in the country, and it put themselves in a position to clearly be in the tournament. They're safely in and I just you know, again, I'm biased. I get it. I'm sure there's other coaches that feel like they've got just this deserving of an argument, and maybe they do, but that doesn't discredit or change anything about Pat Kelsey. We're talking facts here, not opinion. When you look at all he's done, I mean, he's again who gets it is going to be based off someone's opinion. Who votes right, many people who have a vote, whatever the ward is, that's how you determine a winner. But with Kelsey, it's fact not opinion when you look at just numbers and what he's been able to do, not only just winning. But this is a new one for you. So Evan Mayakawa, who is one of the college basketball analytic guys that I really really enjoys work, it's Evan m i ya dot com or you can get a lot of different metrics, and he's got a great breakdown here that again this is not a surprise, but it really puts even more so in perspective as to how phenomenal of a job Pat Kelsey's done given a lot of factors working against him, including injuries. So when it comes to production missing per game due to injuries for top one hundred teams, so again production lost based off of you know, guys being injured, Louisville was second. Only one team had more production missing per game due to injuries, and that was West Virginia, who, by the way, louis beat them, but they beat them when they were full strength. West Virginia got hurt, they had some guys get hurt. In fact, their best player missed the entire missed the miss the rest of the season at about January on, I think. But other than that, there was nobody else that that you know, came close to having more injuries than Louisville. And again, what they're basing that off of is, you know, you got to keep in mind, this isn't just this isn't just the two guys that got hurt earlier this year, right, I mean, korn Johnson he did play, but they're also basing it off like cor Johnson was one of the most proven guys you had on the roster because you know, he was the sixth Man of the Year in the PAC twelve, like he wasn't coming. You know, it doesn't guarantee that he'd been great, but clearly there wasn't as much of a question mark like could he compete at this level, because again he came from a level, to be honest, was better than the ACC this year. But you also have to keep in mind Chucky he missed three halves. Rain has now missed three halves essentially, I mean Rain has missed about seventy seven minutes of the eighty minutes in the last two games, so that factor's in too, and yet they're still winning. So like that's just Again that's another example of even if everybody was healthy and Louisville wasn't as good as they are, I think Pat Kelsey would still be deserving of a lot of praise and would be in the conversation for every Coach of the Year award out there. But here's the thing he's been. He's not just you know, getting by. He's got a team that won twenty five games and safely in the tournament. And again, the injuries, like I forget that the injuries even happened, because this team did right, Like they didn't become victims. They didn't feel sorry for themselves. They they just you know, next they truly adopted the next man up, and everybody who was already part of the rotation had to kind of absorb a bigger role. I was gonna need to play more minutes because you know, you don't have as many players to use. I mean, also Trey Oray. It's a guy who you know, he's not been one of your best players, but he's off coming off the bench since he's healthy and he's he's been good for you. He's been valuable at times. You know, maybe if he's not scoring double figures, he might have seven, seven rebounds and four assists and a couple of steals. So like you got to keep in mind, he's he's a guy that produces for you really at every level. Not he's not your leading guy really at any stab, but he's pretty active as far as stuff in the stat sheet. He missed thirty five percent of the season, so you know that's a factor as well. I'll quit talking about it because again, like it's a broken record, Like, but it's gonna irritate me and it shouldn't. It'll probably bother me more than it'll bother Pat Kelsey if he doesn't win. God to the Year. And I don't know why I care. I shouldn't get worked up about it, but I am. And it's because you know, I'm alive again. We are back alive as Louisville basketball fans, all thanks to this team and what they've given us. And we did talk a lot about it, as you could expect in the three o'clock hour. As far as to send off for these guys on Senior Day, I mean, other than rain not being able to play, I'm not sure it could have gone much better. I mean a blowout victory. Wasn't like you had to sweat it out. Obviously, good games from guys who played their last at the Young Center. Sixteen apiece for Chucky and Terrence, eleven for Hadley. Noah Waterman knocked down a couple of threes. I mean, if he's going two to five from three point range, that's a game changer for Louisvie. To be honest with you, because no is one of those guys that let's be honest moving forward, like really, since he came back from the issue with his hand his thumb, I mean, anything you got from him, You felt like it was just an added bonus, right because one he hadn't played very well this year because of his injury, and also he missed games because of the injury. So again, a good, good game overall, sixty eight to four. He ate a twenty point victory. You know, that's kind of what you're supposed to do in those kind of it gets those kind of teams. But to see these guys get the send off, Chucky kissing the floor, him and Terrence hugging Pat Kelsey and Pat Kelsey, getting everybody, getting everybody on their feet, just losing it, just being the hype man for these guys as they walk off the court for the last time. Like that's the kind of stuff that just hits you in your feels as a fan. And I think we were so caught up. We've just been so caught up in the moment, right and just enjoying this ride because it doesn't seem real at times that you can go from being as bad as you were the previous few seasons to being here, like again, pinch me. Sometimes it doesn't seem real. So because of that, like I think there were people that didn't realize that like, oh yeah, here we go. You knew it was senior Day, you knew they were going to have the senior day's bestivities. You knew you were gonna stick around because you love these guys. But you probably got some emotion that you didn't expect because you know, you wouldn't have challenged anybody who said you loved these guys and knew they were a special team. But I mean, I can't remember a senior day that that was that was like that, and I mean that in a good way. All right, quick break. A lot more to get into. I haven't talked about it just yet, but Scott Davenport has announced he is gonna step down at Bellerman and he's gonna retire, leaving it to his son, who, of course, Doug Davenport coaching waiting. And I'm sad for Scott Davenport. I mean, I'm sure he's going out on his own terms and he's got nothing to prove. But man, when I think of of a of a ball coach in every way, I think it's Sott Davenport, And I mean that is a big compliment because hell of a coach, hell of a guy, hell of a leader, hell of a hell of a Louisville you know, role model. I mean, he's a guy who you know, I'm proud to say that guy's a proud lo Avillion. And the fact that he's ending his career a little bittersweet because again, I'm sure he wants to retire and have fun, bet on horses, maybe do more radio. But he's a legend, and I hate the season that he just had was as bad as it was. But shout out Scotty D. Quick break will come back, keep it rolling along, taking up till six o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: If you're a college basketball sicko like myself, tonight's actually an awesome night because you've got some conference championship games and usually, you know, you probably don't care about teams that play in you know, the the Horizon or the so Con. But when you get to this late, especially me, even if it's just the Semis, you're gonna usually see some good basketball, right teams that don't have you know, all Americans or lottery picks, but you know, if they're playing late in their tournament. They're pretty good for who they are, which could be pretty competitive games, which for me, I like betting on them. So tonight, again, I can't tell you there's anybody that you're probably interested in watching unless you know you're a sicko like me, which is why I said for college basketball sickos like myself, it's kind of a it's kind of a nice night tonight on the on the on the docket here, all right. Thank you to somebody who pointed out that despite not giving Pat Kelsey the National Coach of the Year, the field of sixty eight did put Chucky Hepburn as a first team All American, which I don't know if he'll get another, you know, another honor like that elsewhere. I don't think AP's going to give it to him honor, but you know, we'll see. I mean, he's had a really good year, and I do think the the issue and I shouldn't say it's an issues if I know that for a fact, but I believe him getting like left off the Bob Coosey Award watch list was just a mistake that they didn't like. They I don't want to say they forgot about him, like didn't know he existed, but like they just overlooked how productive he'd been because around the time that that finalist list was put together, you know, Chucky was clearly having a good year and people knew that. But the story and still is today mostly about Pat Kelsey and and that's that's not a surprise. But like, Chucky has been the heart and soul of this team, and you know, I don't know if he'll get another honor, meaning First Team All American. I don't know if anybody's gonna gonna vote him that as far as AP or like ESPN or anything like that, but if they do, I'm not gonna be like totally stunned. But the other first rounders firms are the other first teamers Braden Smith, Walter Clayton, Junior Chucky, have burn Cut, Cooper Flagg, and Jenni Broom. So you know, when it comes to other names that a lot of folks are, you know, you've got there's a handful of guys that are worthy of of all kinds of praise, and if they get named First Team All American, I won't be shocked. But I also think that some of these some of these fans that are complaining about chucky making that are complaining about others making it over their guy. You have to keep in mind, you got to be a part of a good team. And some of these guys are like in the tournament, but like you know, they're bubble, And I just feel like to be a first team All American, you have to have an insane year statistically to make first team All American because it just I mean, you you putting up big numbers again to you know, for a team that doesn't win. I mean, you're doing all you can. Clearly you're the best part of that team that's not that good. But it just I can't I when the last time somebody was a first team All American that played for like a subpar team, Like even when when Jahn Morant makes first team All American at Murray State. Murray State's got like thirty wins. Now, they're not elite, but you know what I mean, like they're good. It's just hard to do that. And yet there's many people complaining about guys being left off that some of these guys don't even play for tournament teams. All right, real quick, I'm sure many of you listening, we're not watching one of these random conference tournament games the other night. But if you were, you were in for a real treat because Brian Barone, he's the coach of s i u E. Anybody know what that stands for?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I bet on them a lot. What's it stand for, sue, Yeah, something Edwardsville. I know that, right, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. I think that's it. I'm guessing. I'm here, I am acting like I know it, thinking I know it, and now I'm kind of second guessing. I just always see s i U Edwardsville, so that's how I know. So s i u E. They ended up punching their ticket, and yes it's Southern Southern Illinois University Eversville. They ended up punching their ticket because they won their They won their conference tournament, the OVC, and in fact, it's their first ever trip to the UH to the NCAA tournament. So congratulations to them. But this is kind of like low key a badass move by a coach that I'm not sure if this guy's got a bright future. I mean, props to him, he's just won his conference tournament, but like, this story puts me on this guy telling the story on ESPN after he wins. It puts him on my radar to where like, yeah, if this guy ends up being a bad ass, I'm not gonna be surprised. But listen to what he did years ago, kind of building up to this moment where they end up being able to win their conference first first in school history. We've done that.
Speaker 4: We've been doing historical things the less several years. That team right there, we talked about trust, we talked about playing for one another, and that's what those guys just did. It feels amazing, all right, because I love those guys right there, and it's amazing. I'm about to go get a pair of scissors that I hung up.
Speaker 2: What amazing? Come on, right, I love you man, so proud of you.
Speaker 4: I'm so proud of you, so proud of you.
Speaker 2: I'm about at all right, Hey, come on, I got it. He's having his guys go. He's having his guys go grab scissors and listen to the story about the scissors. He's getting the scissors. He's six years ago. Ready, six years ago. I've put this above our locker room door, six years ago, six years ago.
Speaker 1: So proud of you, man.
Speaker 4: We did that six years ago. It's been hanging.
Speaker 2: Above our locker room door.
Speaker 4: People didn't think we're gonna be able to do it, but that dude did right there. That dude right there believe that we talked about filling the corners in.
Speaker 2: Our six years ago. This guy took a hair of old scissors and put them in a glass case, almost as if like they're honored, like their famous scissors, and hung them above the locker room door. And they weren't gonna be able to take down the encasing and open and break it open. That's what they did so they could use those scissors to cut down the nets because they've made the NAA tournament. It's it's sick to do it in general, as far as just like having hey, those scissors are up there because we're cutting down some nets. Dammit, Let's keep believing in the process. Let's establish the culture. You know, all that stuff that you say that, you know it does mean a lot, but man, just to have that payoff and actually, you know six years ago, you hang those scissors up there when you get hired, and now you've won your league, like that's cool. I mean, it's it's corny. I'm sure to some, but like it's what makes sports awesome.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this was a really badass move in theory. Didn't work out. But Joe Morehead he got the job at Mississippi State. I don't remember where he was as an assistant, but he got hired at Mississippi State. And he's walking off the bus and you know, holding court essentially like waving. They got TV cameras he's getting off the bus or maybe he's getting off the plane. But players are walking up to greet him, you know, meet their new coach, right and each player who who stops to shake his hand, he doesn't let their hand go, and he points to their ring finger and says, you know what size that is. We need to get your ring size. We're gonna get some rings around here pretty soon. That hits, doesn't it. Now he's stunk and got fired after two years and lost the sadder field of the Music City Bowl. But like in theory, that was a badass move, Like imagine, like that's how you're like you're getting to know your coach first impression. He doesn't let your hand go because he tells you you need to get your ring size figured out. Because that's the kind of success we're gonna have around here. Again, it didn't happen, but like, isn't that badass? The effort was there? Yeah, no doubt. All right, we got another hour. We're gonna give you our best effort. That's all we can do. That's all we can do a lot to get to here. As always on a Monday, reacting to the big weekend, So stick with us Cofee and company. Phil about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to ninety