Speaker 1: We have the largest database of fraud and financial crime and human history. Every transaction on a public ledger is logged and immutable.
Speaker 2: It's there forever.
Speaker 1: I think that we're living this really interesting moment where the private sector has all of the data and the public sector has all of the authorities. And our job at TRM is to make sure that the public sector has the data that it needs. Clarity will pass. We will one hundred percent have a crypto market structure bill. We're going to get something, whether it's now or whether it's later.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by Fordax. Guys, Let's be honest, the crypto market has been moving sideways for a while now. A lot of people are just sitting on their coins waiting for the next big move. But while you're waiting, your crypto is just sitting in your wallet doing absolutely nothing. That's why I want to mention one of my longtime partners, FORTASX. Instead of just like your assets sit idle, you can put supported cryptocurrencies into fortestx liquidity pools and earn daily rewards while still keeping the flexibility to withdraw whenever you want. One of the reasons I've continued working with them is because they keep delivering. The team is public, They've successfully completed Cyberscope team verification, KYC past independent security audits, and the platform has been building consistently for years. They've focused on long term growth, transparency and security rather than hype. In a market like this, it makes far more sense to have your crypto working for you instead of letting it sit idle in your wallet. I've worked with fortest x for a long time and if you're planning to hold your crypto anyway, I genuinely think it's one of the smartest ways to put those assets to work. And folks, I know security is very important to all of us as we hold our crypto assets and they are fully audited by certain and they are sec registered and much more so. You've got to check out fort x. Go to fordest x dot fi slash x slash Thinking Crypto link will be in the description. Hey, folks, welcome into the Thinking Crypto Podcast. I'm Tony Edward and I'm Amanda Wickcroft and joining us is Ari Redboard, Global Head of Policy at tim Labs, which is a blockchain intelligence company that helps the financial institutions, crypto businesses, and government agencies detect and investigate crypto related financial crime and fraud ery. Great to have.
Speaker 1: You, hey, Tony Amanda, Thank you so much for having me. Really looking forward to the conversation today.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we're excited to chat with you. I think it's very timely for us to be having this conversation with the backdrop of crypto legislation about to make it through the Senate with the Clarity Act and much more. You have law enforcement agencies weighing in and giving their endorsement for the Clarity Act and much more.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: Lots to talk about, but we love to kick it off with your background. Tell us about where you're from and how do you make your way into the government and then into crypto.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely, and again thanks for having me. Prior to joining TRM about six years ago, I spent about eleven years as a federal prosecutor. I spent much of that time in the intersection between money laundering and national security, what I call threat finance, essentially stopping bad actors from getting the money they need to do bad things. So I think terrorst financiers, sanctions, criminal prosecutions, export control, cyber North Korea. After the Department of Justice. I spent about two years at the US Treasury Department, working in the office that oversees the National Security Apparatus there so OPAC, the Office of Foreign Asset Control, which is our sanctions regulator in the US, FINSEND, a Financial Crimes Enforcement Network which is our financial intelligence unit, and a whole bunch of other sort of components that really try to stop bad actors from accessing the global and certainly US financial systems. As I said, I joined TIRAM about six years ago after again close to fifteen years in the US government. We were about seven people at the time, were about four hundred and fifty today globally. It's been this just incredible journey. I've never worked harder, I've never had more fun, never felt like I've done, you know, more meaningful work, even as a prosecutor. So it's been a really extraordinary adventure in the crypto ecosystem.
Speaker 3: With regards to the transition into crypto. Did you see this technology? You know, at what point, I should say what point did you see this technology? And was it what was your aha moment that you saw, Well, this looks like it's going to be the rails for the financial markets and things along those lines.
Speaker 2: You know, so interesting.
Speaker 1: I wish I had a better crypto origin story, like I bought bitcoin in like twenty thirteen or something like that. Right, I probably wouldn't, you know, I'd be driving around my lambou somewhere.
Speaker 2: But it was a little different for me. It's very much as a prosecutor.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I was investigating cases pretty early twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, seventeen involving North Korea, and their crypto playbook was very different.
Speaker 2: Back then.
Speaker 1: They were really using bitcoin to launder funds. North Korea is a country that has no economy whatsoever. It's essentially a banana republic, and it's a criminal regime that has basically tried to figure out ways to launder funds for decades. Whether it was counterfeit hundred dollars bills, whether it was counterfeit tobacco, counterfeit cigarettes, whether it was hacking Sony pictures. You might remember, trying to steal a billion dollars from the Bank of Bangladesh. This was all before crypto. And what I started seeing in those early days of those investigations was North Korea really looking to bitcoin. And I said to myself, well what is this and kind of went down that rabbit hole a little bit to understand it and realized like, wow, I'm seeing bad actors use this at scale, but wow, what just an incredible use case for lawful citizens and what a particular like, what a possible revolution this technology is when it comes to money. So I think for me it was very much like, Hey, how do I stop bad guys from using it? But I think as part of that journey, realized how just incredible a technology is for good and how we have to really leverage blockchain technology in order to stop these bad actors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're not kidding about North Korea being the Banana Republic. I was just reading about that investigative journalist Nick Sureley, who everybody loves with all the exposure that he's doing with the tax fraud, and I think I just read about the daycares that North Koreans are, the amount of money being poured into I forget this city. I think it might be New York City, but the amount of money being put into that's it's a shame that that's happening. But can you give us a quick overview of TRM labs, The history mission.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Tarms a blockchain intelligence company. Essentially, what that means is we provide training and tools to investigate illicit activity. We allow law enforcement to trace and track illicit proceeds in crypto in order to build investigations. He's back funds. I think what's missing in a lot of conversations around law enforcement, and Tony kind of got into the clarity act a little bit is we have never had more visibility on financial flows, illicit financial flows than we do in crypto. Every transaction is logged and immutable on a public ledger, immutable meeting.
Speaker 2: It's there forever.
Speaker 1: My colleague Christian Chesky, who is a former IRSCI investigator, probably he hates when I say stuff like this, but probably the most famous crypto investigator ever. He was the protagonist in Andy Greenberg's book Tracers in the Dark. He and I were on this Netflix documentary called The Biggest Heist Ever together talking about the Bitfinex hack. He calls blockchains like the greatest crime scene that he ever had access to, right because you can investigate cases going forward, you can investigate cases going back in time, right to the first ever transaction, and really it's an amazing tool for investigators. So we provide software to law enforcement agencies globally. We provide software to regulators. They want to understand, Hey, this cryptocurrency firm, this exchange is looking for a license wherever it is in the world, New York or Singapore or somewhere else. They use our tool to make a licensing determination and then going on to supervise that entity. And finally we work with the private sector. So we're a compliance solution to think every large major cryptocurrency exchange, think every large financial institution that's all of a sudden sort of coming on board into the crypto ecosystem, and they use us to ensure that bad actors aren't accessing their platforms. So you mentioned North Korea, and you know, every large financial institution that's providing crypto custody, providing access to assets to their customers. They want to make sure that North Korea, the terrorist financiers, that ransomware groups, that cartels are not accessing their platform So we provide that type of service. To think of it as you know, anti money laundering for crypto and really more and more beyond. I think we can get into this as well later. But AI has really enabled us to not just take that rich on chain data, but combine it with really rich data sets off chain to do holistic investigations in crypto and beyond.
Speaker 3: Pardon the interruption. Hi, I'm Tony. I'm the host of the Thinking Crypto podcast. I wanted to ask you if you can please support the podcast by hitting the like button subscribing. If you haven't as yet, you can leave a comment below as well. And if you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify, Apple or wherever you get your podcasts, please be sure to follow and hit the five star rating. I'll let you get back to the content. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: From a tech perspective, and I don't know if this is a dumb question, we'll see, but I know that blockchains are limited in terms of the data that they can actually extrapulate, so they partner with companies like chain link Labs so that there's more data that they're able to actually to receive. Does that affect in your investigations at all as far as when you're using the blockchain as a starting point to investigate.
Speaker 1: It was interesting? Yeah, no, I mean we have the largest database of fraud and financial crime and human history. I know that sounds crazy, but every transaction on a public ledger is logged.
Speaker 2: And immutable, like it's there forever.
Speaker 1: So when you start to talk about, like, all right, where are databases for fraud and financial crime? Right, finn Send, The US Treasury Department holds something called the SAR database, the Suspicious Activity Report Database. It's alerts that are coming from banks, financial institutions, crypto businesses. We are magnitudes larger than that because we see every transaction in real time. So every transaction that is occurring on a blockchain, is on a public blockchain, is visible to us. So think you know bitcoin ethereum, Solana polygon tron. Where we lose visibility today is when funds are moving in and out of cryptocurrency exchanges, right, because those are going off chain and onto order books. And that's that's fine when you're talking about a coin base or a binance or a crack in or someone who's responding to law enforcements. But harder when you're talking about sort of non compliant exchanges in Russia or Chinese OTC brokers right that aren't that don't have KYC, that aren't doing compliance controls. But you know, DeFi comes up in a lot of these conversations, and I always come back to, look, we can see every transaction occurring in DeFi that's happening on blockchains, right, those are the ones we see. I think where things get a little harder is when funds are moving off chain. But I think now, as I said, like things we couldn't even do six months ago, like take rich threat intelligence human intelligence data and combine it with on chain activity, using AI has really revolutionized the way you can do these types of investigations.
Speaker 2: Hopefully that was helpful in.
Speaker 3: Regards to the evolution of blockchain intelligence. Are criminals getting more educated about this that they're trying to avoid crypto now maybe going back to cash and other means of exchange of value or you think that that education is not there, and he still continue to try to use the technology, but they're getting caught because the applications and what tier M labs and you folks are doing has you know, obviously grown and evolved and you have more advanced technologies and so forth.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, like not the wax too philosophical, but you know, like bad actors are always early adopters of transformative technology. I tell this story all the time. I want to say it was like nineteen eight the model t Henry Ford's model t rolled off the assembly line. And that was actually the first year that we created what they called the Bureau of Investigation, which has now the modern FBI. And it was because we realized that policing was no longer local, that bad actors can move across state lines at unprecedented speed and scale. I think Body and Clyde and al Capone and machine gun Kelly, right, So we needed a federal police force that could, you know, jump in those vehicles and follow the as bad actors across state lines, you know, move fastward to pagers. I'm old enough to have used a pager when I was a prosecutor. In the early days, the only people using pagers were US and the drug dealers, right, cell phones and to end encrypted messaging apps. Today it's crypto and AI right. So I'd say there's always this cat and mouse game between bad actors and law enforcement. Bad guys are always trying to use transformative technology, and we're always trying to catch up. And I think what we're seeing with crypto is essentially that we still see illicted activity as a tiny percentage of overall illicit activity somewhere around two percent or so is pretty conventional wisdom. That's significantly less than what we're hearing out there in terms of fiat currencies or traditional currencies, which I think you usually hear about five to eight percent in terms of that type of activity. But when I'm when I tell you what we see about two percent, and when it's like, well, five to eight percent, it's because you don't have visibility the way we do in crypto, right, Like we're talking about at works of shell companies and jwalas and bul cache smuggling and high value art. So cash is a lot better for money launders than crypto. And that's that's very much a conversation I'm having a lot with policymakers and have for years in Congress and other places, particularly around clarity right now as well as you mentioned.
Speaker 4: So Aery, are you telling us that tirm Labs is the modern day digital sing thing? Oh? I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: I think of more as I like to I think of myself more as like the elliot ness of of of of modern day investigators or something like that.
Speaker 4: I want to congratulate you on tier M MCP. I believe you guys announced that early last week. What is this and what does it do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think it's like it actually is like a broader conversation, which is really cool. And that is how we can integrate AI into tooling. And I think this is a great example of how you can integrate AI into compliance workflows. We have built in capabilities in our actual tracing tool where now law enforcement can click on a button and auto trace transactions using AI. But to me, I think the most really revolutionary piece to this is how we can use AI tools to combine that on and off chain component. And this is all sort of building towards that, and that's what we're really working with law enforcement and financial institutions today. You know, we don't think of it necessarily as blockchain intelligence anymore. It's now this sort of AI powered intelligence where we could build out networks not just of on chain activity. You know that Like you know, think about our the graphs that you see in the public domain all the time and the reports that we put out. Now we can take those and say, well, hey, now we see that on chain picture, let's marry that up with beneficial ownership, information about the business, where's the corporate registries? Is there shipping data, is there, threatened intelligence data, human sources? And that's really I think this evolution, and this is a great example, is really building towards how do we use AI power tooling to do investigations better and to do compliance better.
Speaker 3: How are you preparing for the AI agent economy where where you have KYC where you can track a customer and some of the things that may be doing the connected wallets. But if I have a hundred AI agents doing different things for me and some of them are doing bad activities, I'm a bad actor. I'm trying to take advantage of companies and so forth. How do you kyc so to speak the AI agent and track that back to the bad actor?
Speaker 1: Tony, we are in just an extraordinary moment in human history. I don't I've never seen anything move as fast as as as AI, not the Internet, not crypto, and of course we're seeing bad actors really adopt it at scale. And you ask anyone, I'm the most positive guy in crypto, you know. I think I think sort of famously, so that's why I'm terrible on Twitter or x. But but this is an area that I that that makes me very nervous. And if you ask me sort of what keeps me up at night, it's exactly this question we're seeing. We saw a five hundred percent increase last year in AI enabled scams and fraud. So think deep fake videos, think really tailored phishing attacks, right, you know, it's no longer like hey, you know, I'm a Nigerian prince scenario. It's you know, hey, Amanda, this is Tony with your voice and your image. Can you send me money? I'm in the hospital, right Like it's your child, it's your mother, you know, it's it's a celebrity. So we're seeing that really happen at scale. And what concerns me about that is it really just takes the friction out of scams. You know, you don't need a one off transaction anymore. You can have hundreds, thousands, millions of agents working around the clock. They don't need food, they don't need to sleep, they're just constantly scamming. Last year, Americans lost well globally, we saw about thirty five billion in scam losses. Within the crypto ecosystem. Only about fifteen percent of victims report, so that number is probably closer to two hundred billion. I mean that is a global scourge we're seeing ransomware groups. Just last week it was reported that the first ever end to end AI ransomware attack took place where there was no human involvement whatsoever. So what does that mean. It means that if hospitals are the number one target for ransomware actors, which is true today, that means that we don't have to worry about one actor anymore. They can have millions of agents attacking hospital systems at scale. That's not a law enforcement issue. That is a global civilization level threat and we need to figure out how to combat it. But I told you I'm the most positive person in crypto, So I have an answer for that, and that we have to use these tools right. Law enforcement compliance professionals need to have access to them. And that's really that's like how we see that's how we see our place in the world, is how can we enable these types of mission outcomes for law enforcement agencies, for national security agencies to actually stop these attacks from happening in the first place, to get money back to victims, and to disrupt the criminal networks that are doing this activity. I'll stop rambling, but I'll kind of say this last piece, and that is like, these aren't one off criminals right in their mom's basement or something. These are transnational criminal organizations that have industrialized this type of activity. So the US government, working with other authorities, the UK and others, about six months or so GO took down a group called the Prints Group, which operate at the highest levels of the Cambodian government. We ended up forfeiting about fifteen billion. It was the largest seizure in world history or the largest forfeiture action in world history. But that's that's one of I don't know, twenty twenty five, thirty fifty compounds just like this, where there's human trafficked workers that are scamming you know, Westerners and an American citizens. So these are huge problems, but we have the technology combat it. We just make make sure that the good guys have the technology as well.
Speaker 4: With the convergence of AI and crypto evolving so so quickly, and I didn't even think about that with people use it, you know, the deep fay. Of course, I understand what deep fake is. I understand that people are using other people's voices, but with regard to that type of money, you know, take away the fraud obviously being a legal activity, how is it handled when somebody is using your voice without your permission? Is that is that something that Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, look like I am, I'm a lawyer, you know, I think that, Like, there are some really interesting, thorny legal issues when it comes to AI. I testified about a year or so ago. It's crazy, it feels like longer in the first ever hearing on Capitol Hill on AI crime, and that question arose a number of times. It's sort of like, you know, it's your name, it's your image, it's your likeness, you know what what what do you have there? Conventionally it's like, you know, there's there's a I think they call it the Elvis law, where like this whole idea of like someone stealing your your your voice or you know, you potentially have civil ramifications. But I think there's all kinds of interesting questions that arise with this that are a little outside my wheelhouse. But like from from being able to use that type of information, I think we need to update our criminal laws also in terms of how we think about bad actors using AI. We have federal sentencing guidelines that have upward departures that go up based on certain activity. I think probably using AI to scale is probably one of those that should increase your sentence. But there's all kinds of like, I mean, fat, fabulous, fabulous issues out there that I you know, you step back back from the fear. Justin Wales, who's a friend who's the general counsel for crypto dot com, wrote a book recently. It's like AI law Legal Handbook and is a great read and it goes through issue by issue and I thought to myself, Gosh, to be a law student today or to be a young lawyer and grappling with like questions that will be legal precedent right that there's just no legal precedent on any of this today, and you're really building it, you're writing the law books as you go. And I think that's just an incredibly just energizing point where if you're a young lawyer today, I feel like an interested in technology and this stuff. I just feel like, wow, just the sky's the limit in terms of what you can do and build.
Speaker 3: What are the top growing scams using crypto technology? Is it ransomware?
Speaker 2: Malware?
Speaker 3: Things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's interesting, you know, like there's a whole host of different types of criminal activity when it comes to crypto, and I want to be really clear, like when I talk about these things, you know, criminal activity is still a tiny part of the overall crypto ecosystem. But the reality is that bad actors always go to where the money is, and the money is in crypto today. So we follow you know, fifty one hundred different typologies, so everything from ransomware to terrorst financing to child sexual abuse material to scams.
Speaker 2: We follow sanctions violations very very closely.
Speaker 1: So think about sort of what's happening with Russia or Iran or North Korea in terms of trying to use crypto to evade sanctions, that's probably the largest if you're thinking about percentages of overall illicit activity, sanctions.
Speaker 2: Evasion is the number one.
Speaker 1: But scams to me is like if I think about sort of all the real global threats, this proliferation of scams, I think pig butchering where you know, you get hit up. I'm sure this happens to you guys all the time. You get hit up on your your cell phone, Hey, how you doing? You don't want to play golf today. I mean, you got every version of this right. You're in my cell phone, but I didn't know your name. That's inevitably going to lead to a conversation, likely romantic, potentially back and forth. You'll be groomed over the course of potentially weeks, months or even longer, and eventually will result in a a investment opportunity. You know, Hey, I just bought a lambeau today. Oh, I just took my I just bought my mom a home. Oh how did you do that? Like it's like, hey, it's just like this, I'm doing this crypto thing. And they show you a genuine website. Maybe you send one hundred dollars first time. Maybe they send you a thousand back, and you said, wow, this is a you know, huge return on my investment in just a few days. So then you go ahead and send ten thousand and twenty thousand. Until you've lost your life savings and and you don't know where to go for help. Maybe you've lost your parents' life savings. We posted a video recently where we worked with law enforcement to recover some funds in a case where a young man committed suicide having lost everything to scammers and not knowing how to tell his family. To me, this is like the worst financial crime typology that I've seen sort of in my career, and I think in large part of like dedicated the rest of my career at least to trying to stop this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and with the regulatory nature that's coming into crypto, you know, especially with US merging with traditional finance, I just think of traditional finance because of the compliant nature they are required by law to take these quizzes and always go through these tests of phishing emails and scant and to be on the lookout for this. So that do you think as that comes into crypto and you have more people in this ecosystem just kind of aware of what's out there and being you know, having to now go through these steps, do you think that that will help in any way?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I think it's a combination of things, Like there are a couple of different issues there, and it's a great question. I think that like, hey, we need a massive public awareness campaign, certainly in the US and globally, and those are things we're thinking a lot about. Is like how to support that. FBI has an amazing program called level Up where they literally go door to door, they get the data from TRM, they say, hey, we believe this person is going to be a victim or is a victim. They actually go knock on that person's door to try to intervene, and it's just shocking. People say like no, no, this is like I love this person. Get the wrong person right, and then you start to dig in if you ever actually met them, right, And.
Speaker 2: That doesn't scale.
Speaker 1: So we're thinking all the times, like how do we scale that, how do we make it bigger, how do we get to more victims? So I think it is it's it's public awareness is a huge piece, absolutely and something we're thinking a lot about. I think the other piece is how do we harden cybersecurity amongst crypto affirms, And you know, in the in the wake of the Drift protocol hack and the kelp Dow hack, there's all kinds of interesting questions about how do we harden cybersecurity, which I think is where where at least your question was getting to in part, And I think cybersecurity standards might be a little bit much, but I think definitely agreement on best, best in class or best practices for cybersecurity when it comes to certainly DeFi I think is really really important. The large exchanges, you know, do like I think, to your point, demand to operate like banks in many respects, and they have a lot of those things in place, right cyber they have compliance teams. But for these moral sort of DeFi protocols, I still think there's a lot we can do just utilizing the technology. I don't think we need to over regulate this space in order to stop bad actors. I think we just really need to lean into the technology. And you know, in part that is hardening cybersecurity. And then what I talk about a lot is like, you know, we like to blame the DeFi protocols, like oh they had like you know, lacks cyber controls, or this was a private key failure, like whatever, the whatever the excuses.
Speaker 2: I think we need to get better there.
Speaker 1: But my focus is always on, all right, let's go after the bad actors. So like, what are what are the national security capabilities that we have to go after North Korea? If North Korea is attacking Drift, why don't we attack North Korea and steal that money back. So that's a lot of what I talk about in terms of like we need to be more offensive as well as sort of defensive from like a hardening cyber perspective in this space.
Speaker 3: Have you heard about what Christopher Perkins and Chris John Carlo been talking about with letters of the Mark, so these privateers can go after sole in crypto.
Speaker 1: So we we've worked really closely with both Chris's who are really who are great friends also on letters of Mark. And I am a huge, huge proponent of letters of Mark, which is really what I was getting to just like for your audience. It's really cool in the US Constitution and I think sort of the most prevalent around the War of eighteen twelve, which is amazing to get to talk about like history like this when it comes to.
Speaker 2: Cyber and crypto.
Speaker 1: We were having a pirate problem, so essentially we provided or the US government, the president provided letters to privateers to go after pirates on the high seas in order to stop them from pillaging and plundering and all the things that Jack Sparrow does. I want cyber letters of Mark. I want to go after pirates on blockchains in the digital space using AI. And I think that we're living this like really interesting moment where the private sector has all of the data and the public sector has all of the authorities. And our job at TRM is to make sure that the public sector has the data that it needs. But I want some of those authorities because I think we could do a really good job in the private sector of being fast, of being nimble about going back and taking those funds. So, Dony, you nailed it, Like, you know, we want a letter of Mark to say, hey, go get those funds back from the Drift Protocol hack from North Korea.
Speaker 2: See what you go after? A scam?
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, transnational criminal network that's that's that's stealing money from Americans. So yeah, very very I'm so proud of the work that Chris Perkins and Christian Carlo have done in this space and always want to amplify it whenever I can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've interviewed both of them a few times, and of course that's always the topic because that's I think it makes sense and in the world we live and with how decentralized the Internet is and blockchains are, you got.
Speaker 1: I love that You've had those guys on like I'll bring this up and people think I'm crazy sometimes and I'm like, no, no, No, some really smart people agree with me on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When crypto, when crypto Dad agrees with you on something, you know you're living right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It is really interesting how history always repeats itself in some way or another. I think Christopher Perkins made that, you know, he equated the parts and what we're going through today. I think it's great. Absolutely, what's on what's on the roadmap for a CRM, What's what's coming up that you have or you're excited to announce?
Speaker 2: No, I love it, Thank you for asking.
Speaker 1: I think there's a couple of really cool things happening if you have so, sort of like what's top of mind for me right now? I think I got into the AI piece a little bit. We have integrated AI into every every piece of our platform to now allow investigators to really take that rich on chain data set and combine it with off chain data to build holistic investigations. So when you're talking about like scams, for example, Hey, we can map out what a scam compound looks like or scam activity looks like on chain. You do that by connecting victims to certain wallets and you kind of can see like it's you know, a spider web of a network there. What I'm excited to do is say, hey, let's let's learn everything we can about who's running these organizations, what's the what's the financial structure, and take all that kind of rich off chain data and combining those things. So I'd say that that AI and how to integrate it into the these types of investigations is like the most top of mind thing. Equally exciting is this idea of like public private disruption. We talk a lot about public private partnerships. I hate that phrase. It's like the recommendation that everyone makes when they don't have a real recommendation to make. Hey, we just need to get together and talk and sit around a table. I believe the public sector and private sector have to work really closely together, but it has to be in real time and it has to result in interdiction, meaning stopping funds from moving and seizing them back for the good guys. So we built About a year ago August, we announced something called the Beacon network. It's the largest information sharing network within crypto. What we did is really cool, Like we saw a huge problem that actors were moving faster than compliance teams could keep up. By bit had happened about six months prior. We saw you know, we saw a billion and a half dollars laundered from ethereum to bitcoin in like seventy two hours, and we said, hey, how do we keep up with this pace? So we reached out to coinbase and binance, to largest or arguably most important exchanges in the space. If anyone knows Coinbase and finance, they don't do much together, so this was like really cool to get them on board together. We then onboarded folks like Kraken and Okx, Crypto dot com, blockchain dot com. We added FinTechs like Stripe and Robinhood and PayPal, Ripple. Beacon today accounts for about eighty five percent of centralized cryptocurrency transaction, so it's this extraordinary group. We then married that group of private sector companies with about one hundred global law enforcement agencies. I think every three letter law enforcement agency in the US today, and the law enforcement agents are flaggers. They will flag illicit crypto proceeds as they're moving in real time. Say there's a North Korea hack, there's ransomware, there's a scam, and they send out an alert. Think Beacon, lighthouse, right to the network and ultimately to be a member of Beacon. It's non commercial for us, so we have TRM customers, we have non TRM customers. The only thing you have to agree to is if you're in exchange and you want to be in that, you actually have to act on an alert, which means you have to freeze and then work with law enforcement to seize those funds. And if you're a flagger, you have to agree to follow up on your flag. So I say all of that to say that, like, I think this combination of AI and real real information sharing for disruption in addiction seizure combined is actually how we stop bad actors. We keep funds on chain, right, So like those exchanges basically create a perimeter so funds cannot move off the blockchain or blockchains, and then we ultimately work to seize them back, making it much more difficult for bad actors. So I'll kind of stop there, but I'd say that like top of mind AI definitely information sharing at scale and just really crushing it with you know who you could bring together in the space.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it makes sense. The real time data obviously that you work on is so important. Does the do the prediction markets have any is there? I know you can't really work off of a maybe, but there is there any way that you could forecast where the bad actors might go based on prediction markets or that's not a part of your business model.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting. You know, we put out a piece just a few months ago on sort of prediction market more from a volume perspective, but also from sort of the instrider trading perspective and how all that works. I think it's a fascinating space. It's interesting. I mean, you look at a poly market where there's most or many of their transactions are on chain, so we have a lot more visibility on those flows than say a call sheet, which doesn't operate on chain. So I think it's sort of a real open question. What we would be looking for, obviously, is if bad actors are using these types of platforms to launder illicit proceeds. Right, are you taking proceeds from a hack and moving them to a wallet that we know is associated with polymarket and that's that's the type of activity. But I think it's a wonderful question because like it speaks to this on chain economy that is that is taking shape, and prediction marketers are a piece of this. Crypto is a piece of its stable coins, and how financial institutions engage there as a part of it. Bitcoin'll obviously always play a part in this. So I think it's it's it's going to be very interesting to see kind of how all of that plays out. But it's fun to see, you know, fintech kind of building that bridge between you know, crypto and and and FIAT and and and all that we're seeing there.
Speaker 3: With the data mining that you're doing, all this data you're collecting on the blockchain. Obviously it's to prevent and stop a lot of bad actors and prevent hacks and things like that, but there's also a lot of good data. There are the companies you're working with looking or taking that data and looking at how they can better serve the customers based on their habits, again to everyday user, not the bad actors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, of course, it's a great question. So really, what we're doing is we're mapping blockchains, and we're mapping them primarily for illicit activity today, right, we want to know, hey, is that an address we know is associated with a terrorist financer or a ransomware group. And the way we do this, I mean it's really cool stuff. I mean, we have a team of threat hunters. We have someone who focuses full time on ransomware, someone who focuses full time on terror financing. Our terror financing expert is communicating with ISIS fighters on password protected Telegram channels and rocket chat in order to get that illicit crypto address because they send it to him, say hey, send funds to this address. We label it in our tool terror financing. We then use AI to build out a larger and larger database. We don't want to know just that one address, We want to know anyone who sent funds to it, who's received funds through it, and were then able to label those. So what we're doing is we're mapping out illicit activity on blockchains, using really just the most amazing team of threadhunters in the world, many former law enforcement, but then using technology to really scale it. So I think that's that's definitely something that we're taking that that's our primary business, and then sort of using that data on and off chain. Your question is a great one, and that is blockchain data rich. There's so many interesting things that you can get from blockchain data, right, like you know, are there are there patterns, consumer behavioral patterns, even the consumer. We're in the consumer protection lane and we're definitely looking at a lot of that. But the primary business today is investigations on and off chain AI powered.
Speaker 4: Well, you've mentioned sanctions a lot in this interview, and unfortunately I see Elizabeth Warren's face every time you say sanctions. That's just an association now I have. But I want to move to the Clarity Act moving in the Senate. What do you think is going to happen here? Do you have an opinion on it? I know you're positive. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The what order should I take those questions in? Let's go with so A.
Speaker 1: I'm very positive and you've probably seen me out there a bit talking publicly about why I think that Clarity is good for law enforcement, for US national security, you know. And it's not an industry perspective, to be honest with you. I were not a member of any trade associations. I don't speak with any I don't speak for the industry by any means. But in the conversations that I've had over my six years, A tirm with investigators from the FBI, from HSI, from IRSCI, from DEA Secret Service. They are using TRM to track and trace the listit activity that we never would be able to see in traditional cases, you know, involving networks of shell companies and bul cash smuggling. You just can't see it. So I think there's that piece. The other piece Clarity does really for the first time ever, and you alluded to this earlier, Amanda, is it brings crypto firms within the Bank Secrecy Act framework, essentially giving them exactly the same compliance obligations that financial institutions have, and that is absolutely critical. But then there's eighteen other provisions. We wrote a post that I would encourage folks to read that literally go provision by provision, laying out the twenty or so that are pro law enforcement or supportive of law enforcement within the Clarity Act. Two favorites for me really stand out. There's one that describes the beacon network. In large part it's how we can really use real time data to share information and how the Secretary of the Treasury and the Attorney General could certify existing networks in order to do that sort of a realization that we can actually share information better in crypto than we can in this traditional world. And then the other is a hold law. And the way a hold law works is that today banks have limited liability if they hold customer funds based on law enforcement process search warrant. Cryptocurrency firms don't have that protection today. So in order to ensure that firms are able to freeze and wait for law enforcement process, there is a whole law that allows businesses thirty days up to one hundred and fifty days limited liability in order to hold customer funds pending you know, law enforcement investigation, subpoena, search warrant. That's critical, It's absolutely critical. And we can get into all kinds of other provisions in there on DeFi and the BRCA. But I think that obviously very very positive. Your second question is actually much harder for me, and that is like, you know, the prognosticator part, and I think it's hard. I think this is going to be really hard. To be clear, I'm a prosecutor. I've had some fun policy conversations on the Hill the last few years, which is like an incredible honor and like very humbling because it's not my world at all I've testified, I don't know four or five times up there, always nervous every time, and I would say just always trying to find like provide that expertise and like law enforcement perspective. I think the time is ticking. I think we're having the midterms come up in November. Congress is going to be out for a significant amount of time between now and then, like almost all of it, other than a few weeks here and there. So I think the timeline and a couple really outstanding issues are are going to be very, very difficult to overcome. Ironically, I feel very good about this issue right from a pro law enforcement perspective. I think a lot of groups have come out lately. A couple groups have come out lately. Some are still skeptical, but I think that ultimately they understand that this is better. You know, what's in there today is better than nothing at all. But then I think you start talking about ethics and stuff that, quite frankly, is stuff I spend less time thinking about because I just don't have the headspace of the bandwidth that I think is going to make it really hard for Democrats to ultimately vote for I will stop there. Other than to say this clarity will pass like we will one hundred percent have a crypto market structure bill. It may look a lot different than this bill looks like today, based on whose controls Congress next, what happens in the White House in two years. Like, we're going to get something, whether it's now or whether it's later, We're going to get something. And quite frankly, like I'm a pretty patient guy and kind of excited to work with whoever is willing to work on this with us. I think that right now we're in a very good space with the regulatory agencies, the SEC, the CFTC, and I think that'll be very strong for the next couple of years. I will kind of see how all that plays out. So I don't know, you just got me to do something I tell my kids never to do play what ifs or guessing games or this kind of thing. But I don't know. It's been It's been a fun conversation. So I think you just got me.
Speaker 4: I'm right perfect.
Speaker 3: I had a quick question about tokenization of assets. You have this transition happening with traditional assets going on chain. How are you and the folks at Tierram Lambs preparing for that, because you're going to have more transactions to the handle and process, but also more assets avenues where bad actors can say, I'm going to take a tokenized version of Tesla stock and go try to scam some here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's awesome.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, that's that's the beauty of this, right, anything that's put on a blockchain, certainly a public blockchain or any blockchain that we're running nodes on, we have visibility on those transactions, so we can track and trace that Tesla stock if it is tokenized and put on chain. I will say that, like, again, as bullish as I am on the space, I mean, the only thing and your viewers may push back on this, but the only thing that I've seen successfully tokenized in my time over the last few years in this space is the US dollar. But I will say that that has been tremendous boon for compliance. We're now able to track and trace US dollars on chain right USDC, usd t H, and can build investigations and and go after bad guys in ways we never could before. And I think that that as the tokenized economy grows, will own just be better.
Speaker 2: You know, at that essentially.
Speaker 1: I mean, stable coins is a huge piece of the cryptoeconomy today, and there are some really unique properties of stable coins, and I don't know if we need to get into all of those, but stable coins are really unique and that the issuer can essentially what they call burn, which is essentially removed from your wallet, put in another wallet, and reissue to a victim to law enforcement based on legal process. So you know, there's all kinds of properties that we can now build in in this world. And I know some of your listeners will think, Wow, that's an amazing compliance capability, and some will be like, oh my god, that is the worst thing to happen to privacy. And that's why I think, as someone who really believes in the importance of privacy in our space, I think it's I think we need to make sure that we are, you know, really being very careful about ensuring security, but also ensuring that lawful actors are able to transact in a secure and private way.
Speaker 3: As such. A great point on the burn feature that if someone whatever bad actor takes over some level of stable coin or an asset and you have the issue, they can burn that based on the hash the respective wallet addresses and.
Speaker 2: Anywhere in the wild, anywhere in the wild.
Speaker 1: And you know, like we we have a very cool initiative called t three where we've partnered with Tron and Tether to investigate cases of ill listed activity only on only in USDT on Tron, we've seized back hundreds of millions by last count, about four hundred and fifty million, I think is higher than that today over the couple of years that this has been operational, And that's just because of those native qualities of of you know, tokenized US dollars from Tether, from Circle, from other types of issuers like this, so super powerful compliance tool aery.
Speaker 4: I want to just wrap up with a couple questions for audience that kind of we get to know you outside of crypto so quick early bird or night owl?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: You know I might be both, and I'm not one hundred percent sure. Like I travel a lot, and when I travel, I don't sleep that much, so people always like, how are you out? And then you know, I do these TRM run clubs where I get everyone out at like six o'clock.
Speaker 2: In the morning to go running with me all over the world.
Speaker 1: So if you guys are ever traveling to a crypto conference, try to find the TRM run club.
Speaker 2: But so I think I might be both.
Speaker 4: Okay, windows seat or aisle when you travel.
Speaker 2: I'm an aisle guy. I'm an aisle guy.
Speaker 4: You don't get hit with the cart that comes down the middle.
Speaker 2: Oh I always get hit by the You always get there?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah? Text email or call.
Speaker 2: I love to text.
Speaker 4: Text. What is one company outside of crypto that you admire?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: It's interesting. I that's such a great question. They're a whole bunch, you know. I think you know, people ask me like, why'd you do that crazy thing joining TRM when we were seven people, when no one knew who we were. And for me, it was really the mission. How do we stop bad actors from engaging with this new, really special financial institution that we're building together. So I think I look around the world and I'm like, all right, what are like mission companies out there? Like you know, I love Patagonia, right, Like, I mean, this is this is a company that's thought about like how do we use recycle materials? How do we like make the world better by how do we how do we I don't know what's what's the term. How do we do well by doing good. That's how I think about TRM, and that's I love companies that that have kind of lived that ethos.
Speaker 4: I love that if you could have dinner with any person living or dead, who is it?
Speaker 1: Oh? Anyone who knows me knows that I'm obsessed with Alexander Hamilton. He was the first Treasury Secretary. As you know, I worked for a couple of years the US Treasury Department. I'm obsessed with the musical, you know. I uh, I'm never thrown away my shot, always being young, scrappy and hungry. So I would love to sit down with Alexander Hamilton. If Linn Manuel Miranda was willing to meet us for dinner, then like, that would be just best night ever.
Speaker 2: I'm paying for that meal.
Speaker 4: Best advice you've ever gotten?
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh my gosh, I love that. The best advice I've ever gotten is lead with value. I think a lot of us are always like asking for stuff like hey, how can you help me with this? Or how can you know? What can you do for me? And I think what I've learned over the years, especially at TRM, is like how should we approach every moment and be like, what is the value that I could provide you, And for us, it's like, how do we solve the problem that you face? And a lot of that problem is like really bad, really bad activity, really really bad actors. And even when I was a prosecutor, you know, I cut my teeth doing domestic violence misdemeanor cases and child abuse, and I think, my, my, you know what I learned there is that like you get so much from giving of yourself. So I think it's it's lead with value, like what are the things you can do to help most as you build your career.
Speaker 4: Well you certainly take that advice to heart. So Avery Redboard, thank you so much for joining us, and thank you for all the work you're doing in this industry.
Speaker 2: Amanda, thank you so much. Tony. It was awesome. You guys are great. I really appreciate you having me on.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for tuning in. Please hit the like button subscribe if you haven't as yet. If you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify or Apple, please follow and leave a five star rating. Thank you so much,