Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Well, when you are the mayor of Los Angeles, you have to kind of do a cost benefit analysis when it comes to your schedule. Yeah, you've got this super cool trip planned, but oh, here's this forecast on your desk Monday morning that says fire danger is off the charts. It is going to be next level this week. There are several problem areas in your jurisdiction. What do you do? Do you roll the dice and go on your trip and hope all will be well. Well, that's exactly what Mayor Karen Bass did. And now the reviews are in and they are not good, as you can imagine, because not only did she not stay in a Los Angeles, she went on the trip, and then she did not cut the trip short. If I remember correctly, she.
Speaker 2: Didn't cut it short enough.
Speaker 1: This was a George w at the class when he got news about the towers. You know what I mean, you got to show a sense of urgency. You got to get up and you've got to move your ass.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I don't want to. He didn't want to scare the kids.
Speaker 2: That was that. They've said that, Well.
Speaker 1: He didn't have to announce to the kids.
Speaker 3: Well that's the thing, which is why when they did a news conference kind of impromptu, he was nowhere near them, but he was still at that school. Now, in this case, the survey of La County residents by UCLA School of Public Affairs showed that her unfavorability ratings, Karen Bass's unfavorability ratings shot up by seventeen percentage points compared with a year ago. Because remember, it's not just it's not just the problem. It's one thing to be out of town despite being told that they were severe danger. It's another too when you get here not show the appropriate remorse for what you did.
Speaker 1: And instead just play cover your ass per week.
Speaker 3: The thing is, we see, we all see that when it happens, it's okay. It's human to make a mistake. Yes, it's political to try to cover it up. Yes, and there's a huge everybody can understand. I would assume everybody can understand she made the wrong calculus. Now it's surprising considering we said repeatedly not that she listens to us. We said repeatedly during that week, this is weird. We've never seen alerts like this from the National Weather Service.
Speaker 1: It was Monday and never said day right, it was Monday. We got the forecast and we're like, we need to stay on top of this is going to be huge. And then Tuesday is when s hit the fan, right, and we knew that it was good and she knew, and you're right, like, what if she came back and she's like, I screwed up. I screwed up. I'm ready to get to work. Please forgive me. I screwed up. I was super excited about this trip. I went thinking that things would be under control. They were not. I'm sorry how I mean her ratings would have gone through the roof if she had done that. I feel like politicians don't understand the value of being human and how much we love to see that. We don't want to see perfection. We want to see ourselves and the people that we elect. We want to see imperfections. That's the beauty of connection and that's what we all look for. And she and Gavin Newsome and I can go down the list of people who do not appear to have a human bone in their body.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know how you get to that level of politician, regardless of what party you are, just that job, that world of politics, without having that human connection, without having she.
Speaker 1: Had to have it at some point she did. They all do well, they don't. They're not born completely soulless.
Speaker 3: Use Anthony Wiener as an example, and this may be stretching it. I think we know who he is, right, But I mean, had he come out and set you know, when when it came out soon after we interviewed him, that he'd been sending a d pics to this Sydney Leathers or whatever her name was, and with his kid in the picture.
Speaker 1: Like I think by this time it was the college student that he was selling.
Speaker 2: I think that's who I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: But had he just come out and just said, you know what, I'm an idiot.
Speaker 1: I like my penis.
Speaker 3: I was drinking, I was shooting my shot three thousand miles away. I was just it was a stupid Instead, he wanted to talk about, oh, my phone got hacked, not me. I didn't do that. It's just it's that frustrating, immediate knee jerk reaction of it's not me it was somebody else's.
Speaker 1: Do you think that story would have the legs that it had had it come out now, Like when you think he was one of the first people sent in is junk. It was like Brett Favre and then Anthony Wiener, And it was a big deal because it was kind of new, Right, you didn't hear about people sending penis pictures all the time. It wasn't like a Tuesday like it is now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it depends on the proximity to people important. I mean Anthony Wiener today definitely not it's just some dirt bag living in the Bronx like whatever.
Speaker 2: But because he was so.
Speaker 3: Close through Huma Abidin, so close to Hillary Clinton, right, It's like that was what made it just Yeah, even if by the time we got to the convention in twenty sixteen, even if by that time he'd kind of been persona non grata, like not everybody is really hip on this guy. Remember he was walking around that convention center in Philadelphia by himself.
Speaker 1: Nobody wanted to talk to that guy. He was not a likable being, which is.
Speaker 3: Why when we interviewed him, he was such an a hole.
Speaker 1: He was awful, just boop, just an a hole awful. It was so awful.
Speaker 2: Now listen.
Speaker 3: That's not to say that Karen Bass has to go down that path that Anthony Wiener did, but it's an example of messing up. Is human doing something wrong. We've all done it. It's how you handle it from that point on, right, do you try to cover your butt? Do you try to blame somebody else for your problems?
Speaker 1: Honest?
Speaker 2: Just be honest and listen.
Speaker 3: The little peepe match that she got into with the chief of the fire department was another example of this. They could have easily both said, hey, well she was We both had we both had shortcomings.
Speaker 2: We need to continue to work together.
Speaker 3: We're going to do it on behalf of the people that we let down, right or or I would.
Speaker 1: Man, I would have loved to sit in on those meetings. That would have been fun between the mayor and the first Yeah, no love loss there. I bet you've been frust We are on top of what's going down in Tallahassee again. Details are scanned coming in slowly active shooter at FSU Florida State University.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: The reports from local people on the scene are that four hospitalized people. As we reported. Initially four people have been taken to the hospital. There is a shelter in place order. As you can imagine, the campus is blocked off. There is quite the police presence there at FSU. We have heard reports on Twitter from people that have been sheltering in place in various buildings on campus. So we will stay on top of that. But when we come back the latest on the Menendez brother's quest for freedom.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: The Menendez brothers premeditatedly shot and killed their parents back in nineteen eighty nine. They were given the Netflix Ryan Murphy treatment, which spawned a new popularity for the Menendez brothers. A lot of people focused on the narrative that were they molested by the father and that's why they they shot and killed both the father and the mother, and they should be free. In what's going on in George Gascone, hanging by a thread at the DA's office, decided to use this as a hail Mary pass to keep his seat. He was un sixsful, but the legal ball got rolling and a judge decided that possibly these two could be resentenced. Looks like that was the way things were headed. PS Gavin Newsom wanted in on the circus and decided to ask the State Parole Board, Hey, take a look at these two and get together a report about risk assessment. Well, that report came back. The Day's office happens to have that report. Mark Garrigis wants this resentencing hearing to go on, which it is as we speak. But the DA's office says, let's pump the brakes till the judge sees this report, which leads me to believe there's something in this parole report that is not good for the Menendez brothers.
Speaker 2: We shall see.
Speaker 3: Michael Monks has been out there all morning and has been covering all of this. Michael, what's going on? Hey, good morning.
Speaker 5: That was the big news this morning that I don't think any of us expected to hear. When DA Nathan Hoffman came over to talk to the media before he went into the courthouse here in Van Nye, he says, look, my office has received that risk assessment report from the State Parole Board. We didn't ask for it. We haven't been working with the Parole Board at all. It showed up a couple days ago. That's why we asked the courthouse today the judge to say, why don't we take a little break, take a review of this, and then decide how to proceed. Mark garre Goes, the defense attorney does not expect that to happen. He says, he expects this resentencing hearing to go forward today. It could be all day today. It could go into tomorrow as well, and even after tomorrow. If it goes that far, we might not know what the judge has to say. You can make a ruling on the bench. You can decide to take his time and issue a ruling and writing. So we're in a waiting mode right now to see what type of timeframe we're looking at and what role this risk assessment might play in.
Speaker 2: The whole thing.
Speaker 3: Michael, because we're jammed for time, can you hang on. We'll come back when you have another segment with you. It would be my pleasure. Excellent, Michael monks again, they're live in Van Eys later right on the Menendez Michael Brother's hearing that's going on. He's motivational in a very calming way.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: It's nice to have a friend who's just solid solid.
Speaker 1: I keep not slow rolling, the opposite of slow rolling, making Michael Monks be my best friend, pushing a little I'm pushing a little bit too hard.
Speaker 2: He did say something about that.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks is covering this Menendez hearing for us, and where we last left off, we were talking about how this hearing is continuing despite the DA's office request yesterday to delay it because they got their hands on a report from the Parole Board that took a look at what the Menandez brothers have been up to and was going to assess the risk of these guys being let out. This was all at the request of the governor. But the hearing continues, Michael exactly, and.
Speaker 5: The judge in this case might take a look at that risk assessment report and decide, yeah, we maybe do need pump the brakes a little bit and revisit this another day. That was what La County District Attorney Nathan Hawkman said as he talked to the media before he went into the courthouse. He even said, look, we got this two days ago. We didn't even ask for it. We're not collaborating or colluding with the Parole Board. It just was delivered to us. We've taken a look. We thought the judge might like to see it. He didn't tell us what's in it. He didn't give us any hint of what it says. So whether it reflects well on the Menindez brothers or reflects poorly upon them, we don't know yet. But for whatever reason, he thinks it's worth taking some time so that the judge can take a look at this review and then decide how to move forward. We have to keep in mind and remind the audience that there are multiple paths to freedom for the Menindez brothers. This resentencing hearing is one of them. That risk assessment comes from the other one, which is the state system, the clemency system, which could be granted by Governor Newsom. He's the one who asked for this risk assessment from the Parole Board and now does apparently out. There was a bit of a surprise to learn that this morning.
Speaker 3: Who do we expect to hear from in terms of testify, assuming that the hearing goes forward?
Speaker 5: Not clear on that either. Neither party delivered any and they didn't show their hand. Basically, Mark gere Goes, the defense attorney for the Menindez brothers. He was asked outright whether the Menindez brothers would testify.
Speaker 2: He didn't say.
Speaker 5: Nathan Hakman did not want to predict whether the brothers would testify. They are appearing in court again via video from the prison closer to San Diego, so we're not sure. And one thing that we do know that won't be in the courtroom this time are any gruesome images from the crime scene. LA County District Attorney Nathan Hawkman his team showed some pretty graphic images from the crime scene last week when they were first trying to withdraw their motion for this resentencing hearing. That was made by George Gascon and that really upset the family.
Speaker 2: There was no warning, not.
Speaker 1: Like it was breaking news. These pictures have been publicized for thirty five years.
Speaker 5: That's kind of how Hawkman qualified his apology. He did say, he apologized me. He's like, look, we've been describing the crime scene for a long time. And also the crime scene was pretty well documented in some of those the shows that drew a lot of new or renewed interest in this case.
Speaker 2: But he's did say, if we do.
Speaker 5: Move in the direction of showing those At any point again, we will issue a warning so that folks could leave. Of course, some family members of the Nindezes who are in support of their release say one of their older family members had to go to the hospital after which she was so traumatized by it.
Speaker 1: Well, they should good, because that's why those boys, that's why those men are locked up, because of that crime scene, because of what they did.
Speaker 2: That's what Nathan Hochman said again today. You know, Mark Garrigos, the.
Speaker 5: Defense attorney, says that Nathan Hockman in his office, they're not giving enough credit to the rehabilitation of the Minnetz brothers. They've been model prisoners, they've grown and they deserve a chance at freedom. But Hawkman says, look, the facts haven't changed from the nineties. This was premeditated. It was Bruce, and they lied about it. They tried to make it look like a mafia hit. And then they had other evolving stories since then, and even now as they inch close to freedom, they have yet to take full responsibility or offer an apology or any remorse that is sufficient to a level that Nathan Hawkman could agree.
Speaker 1: With that would ruin the book tour, Michael, that would ruin the appearance tour that they're going to do and earn all that money that was snatched away from them all those years ago by their evil parents. This way they could get out and maintain their innocence and rack up all the money in all those appearances, and they'll be superstars and they'll be on TikTok. It'll be great. Think of all the money and the cars and the rolexes they can buy. It's the same moo that it was in nineteen eighty nine. They're looking out for number one. Otherwise, if they really wanted to get out and just own up to it and be on your way.
Speaker 5: It's as if you're speaking through Nathan Hoffman himself. Those are the that's the exact same sentiment, exactly that.
Speaker 2: Chance says she wants.
Speaker 1: Have you ever thought about Navian Hawkman speaking through me? Have you ever thought about that? Michael?
Speaker 3: I will now unfortunately now just kidding, Michael, just to quick aside, do you think she's pushing too hard to be your friend? I'm open to friendship, but I.
Speaker 5: That I'm just not fun, Like I'm not that guy.
Speaker 4: I'm not fun.
Speaker 1: I'm not fun either. Yes, so we could go.
Speaker 2: I've invited you.
Speaker 5: I've said, let's get let's try this in about six months when the Down Abbey movie comes out. That way, I have enough time to mentally prepare, you have enough time to reconsider and UH.
Speaker 3: And you know on the connecter come up between now and then. Perfect. All right, Michael, thank you. If anything happens, you let us know. I sure will thank Michael. Monks there out at the Vani's courthouse again covering the story of the UH, the hearing, the latest hearing for Menanda's brothers. Promise this, We'll do this when we come back. The motivation Monday on a Thursday. It's a good one. It's pertinent, it's topical. It's somebody that we've talked about many, many times in the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 1: Forty Florida State University. We do now know that the suspect has been taken into police custody. Multiple victims reported in this shooting there at FSU.
Speaker 3: The Governor of Florida, Ronde Santis, the President President Trump both have been briefed on this. There are some reports that there have been fatalities. Action News of Fox affiliate out of Jacksonville is reporting that there are five fatalities in this I'm not quite sure if that number has been corroborated by others. Another TV station, WCTV has suggested that there were six put in the hospital, but no known conditions on those, but that they do have one person in custody, and of course we have to go with the Always it seems like there's always a point where someone says, but.
Speaker 2: There may be others.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very rarely is that the case, but it is something that they are looking on.
Speaker 1: Ryan Cedar Grin is a twenty one year old communication student. He says he and about thirty others hid in a bowling alley in the lower level of the student union after seeing students run from a nearby bar. He said, in that moment, it was survival. About fifteen minutes of hiding, university police escorting the students out of the union. This guy says, you saw somebody getting emergency treatment on the lawn.
Speaker 3: One of the other stations does say that the lockdown continues. According to Florida State, they're asking for everybody who is still on campus to remain in their shelter in place mode at this point. Although the images that we've seen it doesn't look very tense. I mean, whatever has happened appears to have happened. I haven't even seen images of officers.
Speaker 2: Going room to room to try to sweep for anybody.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if that belief is that there is somebody else or if they're just doing that out of an abundance of caution. Of course, all Florida State in for events, athletics, everything, they've been canceled for the day, and they're telling you if you're not on that Florida State campus already, to not go there for the rest of the day. Again, we know that the governor and that the President have both been briefed on whatever's going on at Florida State, and if we do get information, then we will bring it to you as well.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we've skipped on motivational Monday this past Monday, so let's just get right to it on this Thursday.
Speaker 3: So this was actually a late addition to the potential motivational moments, and it comes from not from the show Love on the Spectrum, but from one of the part anticipants in the show Love on the Spectrum. Tanner is a guy who lives in I believe he's in South Carolina, and he's always got a smile on his face.
Speaker 2: He's always happy.
Speaker 3: We talked about him yesterday in that his mom had said she was upset that one of the dates that he had on this show didn't turn out to be what he thought it was going to be, and she was uncomfortable because he wants somebody who's outgoing, and they matched him up with somebody who was really quiet and reserved. But this is a guy, so he delivers a cameo to someone and cameo. As you go on the website and you celebrity of some kind, you have them record a message a happy birthday, or you had one from William hung from American Idol talking about space wars, and you pay however however much it is, and they'll record something for you. My wife was watching this today all right last night, and I had her send it to me today and this is again from cameo Tanner delivering a message to someone I think her name is jam and from somebody named Gary.
Speaker 6: Garrett told me that you need some daily motivation well here, I have to give it to you. This is your reminder that you're brilliant and beautiful, indulgent and indeligent and capable, and you have really good energy. You're a bright light to be around, and you are amazing friends and white, and you smoke it. You look good, and you're soft and your fears and you're capable of doing hard things through cushing it every day, and you're blessed and your love of a great laugh and a great spoul.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 1: That's wonderful. Will you send me that so I can listen to it every morning where I get out of bed.
Speaker 3: Maybe you should listen to it as you're driving out of the parking lot at so Far Stadium.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that would have the right effect. All right, we've got tons to get to and swamp watch. We're on top of what's going on in Florida, and we've got eyes and ears in the courtroom for the Menanda's brothers hearing and keep it right here.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap