Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 2: Are get off our show, idiots, the kids are crying or tail off.
Speaker 1: The punctures are screwing it up.
Speaker 2: Gold Play inner Murals, Brother, gold Play inter Murals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 3: I think we're at twenty four days until Louisville football kicks off the twenty twenty four season. Obviously there'll be some football before that, but it's getting closer and closer, folks. Another sign that we're getting closer and closer to football season is what I saw on my way in today, and that is the start of setting up the Kentucky State Fair. It's another sign that you know it'll be here, It'll be here soon. The one hundred and twentieth Kentucky State Fair, by the way, is what's starting I think next week. Yeah, August the fifteenth. You're not a big state fair guy, are you, John?
Speaker 2: I don't know that I've ever been to the State Oh that's not true. I've been to the State Fair other than for a concert at least twice, but I usually go for shows that I'm interested in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the State Fair.
Speaker 3: Like I can go to the State Fair and not have anything really playing, right, I could be there and it not be about any concert, could not be about any food. You know, might not even make an appearance in the Beard ten. I ain't just walk around the State Fair honestly, from August fifteenth till August twenty fifth every day and be entertained and not be bored, because that's just there's just something about the State Fair is that is amazing. But anyways, we hope to have an amazing show today. That's what we're going to try to do. I can't guarantee that that's what's gonna happen, but that is going to be the goal today, and we do it every other day, so why not make it happen today?
Speaker 4: Right? It's coffee and Company.
Speaker 3: We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety taking you up until six o'clock. Don't forget take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And I stopped in at Thornton's like I always do. Usually my stop at Thornton's is in the mornings, this time around it was in the afternoon. On my way into the studio today, got my three Monster Energy drinks because they've got a good special going on right now. You get three of them for seven bucks. And I also made my way over to see the food options. Usually when I'm there in the mornings, it's doughnuts, breakfast sandwiches, that kind of stuff, which very delicious. I've said it many times, why not say it once more. The sausage, egg and cheese croissan at Thornton's is the best breakfast sandwich you'll find. But they got a couple of items on on the lunch menu essentially that I.
Speaker 4: Hadn't seen before.
Speaker 3: Got some pretzel bites with I believe cheese dip that goes with it that look delicious. Little mini tacos as well, And if you like, you know, a good old fashioned hot dog, you can get them for a buck and you don't have to pull them off like the roller grill. They've already got them freshly made there in the aluminum foil. You go up, you scan it at the self checkout, and it's just a buck. So again, I mean, I haven't even mentioned that you get to save money every time you get gas. So if you're not a Refreshing Awards member at Thornton's, I suggest you change that.
Speaker 4: It's easy to do.
Speaker 3: Download the app on your iPhone you're Android, and you'll be living life the right way with that membership to Thornton's Refreshment Awards. We'll all be Refreshment Awards members together, all right. So I guess we have to start with something that is in fact a big story I think kind of a big deal maybe, and that is that the coach who just won the most recent now national championship in college football, who doesn't coach in college football anymore and never will, he's been hammered by the nc double A kind of. So the NCAA announced earlier today that they've given Jim Harball a four year show cause order that also includes a one season suspension if he ever decides to come back and coach in college That is from the ncublea's Committee on Infractions that was handed down earlier today. So a lot of people without you know, if you're not plugged into this Michigan scandal stuff closely, if you know, you just know that they had some shady stuff going on with some signs stealing, some real next level college athletics espionage, you would just assume, well, okay, well that's that's that's what that's for. They finally they finally dropped the hammer on hardball for Connor. Stallion's the sign stealer and the elaborate planning and funding that went into cheating that worked. It helped him, But no, that has nothing to do with this. This punishment from ns DOUAA is due to COVID nineteen dead period recruiting violations. I mean that was four years ago.
Speaker 4: That's how long ago.
Speaker 3: That was this four years ago, and I mean he got a four year ban because he gave a couple of free meals to some recruits just a few months before it was legal to actually have the players receive millions of dollars through NIL, which we all know is not for nil, but it's just the disguise used to pay for players. So you know, this is a big story, that's but it's it's so silly because Hardball's never coming back to college again. And I don't even think this punishment is the reason he's never coming back to college again.
Speaker 4: He did what he wanted to do. He brought a.
Speaker 3: Champion ship to Michigan. He's a Michigan man. Didn't get off to a great start. But I believe that when Harpball took the job at Michigan again, that was a long time ago. Let me pull it up here, because I feel I mean, was it was that ten years ago? I mean, I feel like it could be a little bit longer than that. Maybe I'm just crazy here, but yeah, his first season at Michigan was in let's see here, it was in goodness, gracious, he's got a long Wikipedia page year. His first season at Michigan was in twenty fifteen, so nine years ago.
Speaker 4: That was when he got there.
Speaker 3: And I remember thinking to myself at the time, man like this guy like, I can't remember there being a higher made where expectations were so high. And it's because it's Stanford, you know, they He was great there. I mean, he gave Stanford some life in football when Andrew luck was there, of course, and then he goes to the NFL. Does a great job with the Niners. They end up making it to making it to the Super Bowl. I mean, he took it's a guy's name, who didn't Colin Kaepernick to Colin Kaepernick to the freaking Super Bowl. Soations were high, and I remember thinking, because everybody was underwhelmed that, like, man, you know that just same thing with Iowa that we mentioned every now and then, right John, Like because everybody just makes fun of Io anytime Iowa was being talked about when it comes to college football in recent years, it's just them getting completely clowned for how pathetic their offense is kept me from realizing they actually went a lot, They win a lot of football games. So because Michigan never got past Ohio State in the first what eight years that Harball was there, and they never really broke through and made a playoff that everyone the Big ten, like, it made me realize that like it made me think that they were actually really struggling, when in fact they weren't elite like they want to be, but they were far better than they were before Harball. I mean he went ten and three, ten and three, eight and five, ten and three, nine and four, those were his first that was his first five seasons. Obviously during the COVID year they were terrible, but so were a lot of teams. And then in twenty twenty one, twelve and two thirteen and one in twenty twenty two, and then of course last year they went I mean, they went undefeated, won the national championship. So you know, he did what he wanted to do, and now he's back in the NFL, where he probably will reside until he doesn't want to coach anymore. So the punishment is is it is it's certainly a newsworthy trusts me, but like this is this just is another example of the n C Double A being so out of touch and delusional. And we talked yesterday a great links about how irrelevant the organization that is the NCE double A now appears to be.
Speaker 4: And I don't know, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they decide to, you know, to and I'm not This is not a defensive harrorball, right, this is not. I mean, I think it's kind of silly that the recruiting violations thing like to me, that to me, that sounds almost like like here, here's what I predict they're doing their investigation on the sign sealing stuff, but they're not gonna have a lot of cooperation from anybody. Therefore, they're not going to be able to really do anything. So I just assume that this heavy handed punishment from the NC double A in regards to the recruiting violations during COVID. You know that that that that's why the punishment is so severe. But they they know deep down, like they're they can't do anything, right. I mean, like suspending Jim Harball from coaching in college football right now when he's got an eighty million dollar contract with the Chargers is like suspending me from dating Margot Robbie. It's just, you know, it's useless. I mean, it would never happen, right, It's just it's it's it's nonsense. So I don't know if we're gonna get anything from the sound stealing stuff and all. And it also has me even more so curious about what Connor Stallions is going to say in this documentary that comes out in the next few weeks, because if he does, in fact, you know, open up and really tell all, I mean, I guess they could use that as evidence, But.
Speaker 4: What are they going to give him me Are they going to give him?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 3: Right? Now, you're suspended five seasons if you want to come back, I mean, like he'd never come back.
Speaker 4: It's just silly.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure Michigan fans are probably thinking to themselves like, all right, well, this is best case scenario, unless, of course, you know, they're still holding out and fearing that they're going to get hammered from the Connor stallion stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but.
Speaker 3: It seems as if the NAA wanted to really drop the hammer and maybe maybe we're mid people.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we're still here.
Speaker 3: We're still here, and we're not afraid to really hold somebody accountable. We're not afraid to really let everybody know that, despite the perception about this organization that is the NCAA, we still rule college athletics and we will hold those accountable who don't follow A guidelines and bylaws. But yet, like, what a swing and amiss because again, they're so out of touch and delusional if they really think that that's the message that was conveyed with their decision today. So I mean, there you have it. I think that's the biggest story in college football right now. For obvious reasons, but like it's just it seems worthless. It really does, because you know, he's he hasn't even coached a game yet at in the NFL with this new team, the Chargers. So I mean, it'd be different if you kept your findings to yourself and you knew that he was trying to get back in the game and then you put it out there. But like it just to me, I feel like they thought they were really doing something here and in the end, they just end up doing what they always do, which is make a complete fool of themselves and show the lack of awareness and then they're just delusion. And they've, if anything, they've been consistent about everything as far as you know, the perception they've they've they've not been consistent about certain punishments and things like that. They kind of just you know, they've actually been really inconsistent when it comes to that kind of stuff. However, as far as just you know, hey, this is what we're doing and these even regardless of how archaic it is, you know, we're not gonna you know, we're not gonna let these athletes make any money.
Speaker 4: There's twodent athletes and again it.
Speaker 3: They're just delusional, and we talked a lot about some of the examples of that yesterday. So there you have it, all right, If you guys want to join us on the show today, you can, uh, well, we'll be active of a text line today. Five oh two six, five three zero, seven nine zero is the Llen n Federal Credit Union text line. Members get more at Ellen NFCU. You can learn more and open your accounts today at LLENFCU dot com. Again the numbers five oh two six, five three zero, seven ninety and if you want to give us a call, we will open up the phone lines here before too long. Five oh two, five seven one seventy nine hundred. That's the number again if you want to to get us a ring. So again, we'll be interactive throughout the day. No guest scheduled as of right now, and I say as of right now, as if you know that's going to change, it's not going to change.
Speaker 4: So maybe you'll be the guest, right if you give us a.
Speaker 3: Call you get on the air, then you can claim that you you know that you were a guest, because it would be true. But I guess you're a guest even if you're not calling in because you're with us, right. This is Coffee and Company, myself, Nick Coffee, the company man, John Olden, and then everybody else who's with us listening of course their company too. So make yourself at home. You are you are our guest here today and hopefully, you know, hopefully every day. All right, I've got to I was trying to dig this up because the attorney for Harball has released a statement and it looks like it was created in Microsoft paint. But I guess he was trying to be cute. See here with a light blue like a teal background with bright yellow letters, because that's the color of you know, his new team that is the is the Chargers and not the you know just anyways, and by the way, this lawyer has been pretty outspoken about the n S DOUAA for quite some time. He's been defending Harball throughout you know, these n C DOUBLEA allegations, and he's, you know, he's a lawyer that doesn't just fight in court with you know, the law and good arguments and all that kind of stuff whatever legal jargon that I'm blanking on. He also does it on Twitter, which I feel like can't this doesn't benefit anybody, but it does. It does entertain me at times when you see this happen. But this is a statement in regards to the NC Doublea's the NAA Committee on Infractions decision. The way I see it from Coach Harball's perspective, Today's Committee on Infractions decision is like being in college and getting a letter from your high school saying you've been suspended because you didn't sign the yearbook. If I were in Coach Harball's shoes and had an eighty million dollar contract as the head coach of the Chargers, I wouldn't pay any attention to the findings of a kangaroo court which claims to be to represent the principles of the nation's most flagrant, repeat violator of the federal antitrust laws. See again, I don't know if today's decision like does anything in regards to the future.
Speaker 4: Of the NC Double A. I mean, I don't mean I doubt it does.
Speaker 3: But it's just another pr hit for an organization that, again, I feel like, has seemingly been questioned as far as their existence, like what served like what purpose do they really serve? In high level college athletics? That's been something that's been growing, I feel like for well over a decade, but in the last like five years it's been it's been speeding up in a major major rate as far as just like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 4: Why do we need them? Get them out of the way.
Speaker 3: We all know this is pro sports now, well, you know, we'll assign a commissioner of college basketball and college football. It'll be somebody that the collective institutions vote on and approved to be the leader. That person decides punishment, that kind of stuff. They build a team like, we don't need the NCAA. And again, I say that talking about the highest level that is quite clearly and very much blatantly in your face, high dollar, billion dollar business of professional sports. It's in college I mean it is, but it's not, you know what I mean. So here's the exact here's the exact wording from the COI Harball quote, violated recruiting and inducement rules, engaging in an unethical conduct, failed to promoted atmosphere of compliance, and violated head coach responsibility obligations. And there's more that I think I'm trying to want to read through it because it would be boring and nobody really cares, and it just I feel like I've already wasted sixteen seventeen minutes of the show anyways, because this is such a stupid pun that just doesn't actually serve any purpose at all. But him and his attorney refusing to even like engage in any conversation with the Committee on Infractions about all this stuff is I believe another factor in why they decided to drop the hammer. But again, did you really do anything at all here? Because the guy's not going to be coaching in college and will have no interest in doing that. Do you think if he was still at Michigan they would have done this. That's a good question, because I don't think they would have. I know, I think that's probably what they would have done. They sort of stayed quiet.
Speaker 2: And here's the only thing where this maybe would bite Michigan in the butt in the future is if Sharon Moore just sucks as a head coach and they wish they had Jim Harball back. I think Sharon Moore will do fine, But that's the only scenario where I see the NCAA getting the win from a punishment like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I feel like if Harball was still there, he clearly if you any any I mean, he would be cooperating with the NC double A because he would have to because Michigan would I mean, I think Michigan would have to make him and and whatnot, and maybe maybe that alone would lead to where he wouldn't have been hit with this this level of a punishment. However, I just believe that the NC double A thought they really did something big here and that like they had no clue that everybody would be mocking them, as if like you really like that, that's so silly you punish somebody who like, it's not really a punishment. That's not to say that like they should have just ignored it, But I don't know, like, if he's not interested in it's pretty common. I suppose, like, for example, nobody in the world was ever going to hire Andrew McGee, but he got a show.
Speaker 4: Cause right because of obvious things. So I don't know. It just to me, the severity.
Speaker 3: Of it was was was there because they wanted to make it look as if hey will still drop the hammer, don't let the perception out there about our organization and fool you about what's really going on. We will hold people accountable, but you didn't because the guy doesn't. He doesn't work for you, and he's work under your umbrella anymore, and he never will. And everybody knows that, and you know that too, So you're not fooling anybody, clowns.
Speaker 4: All right, we are loaded. The rest of the way, we're gonna have some fun.
Speaker 3: And I mean it when I say have some fun because I found something earlier today that really fascinated me when it comes to the Olympics, and it has nothing to do with any gold medals or anything like that. It is jobs at the Olympics that I did not know existed, which kind of cool to be honest with you. Also, we've got a good old fashioned Twitter feud going on here between Colorado's social media accounts Prime essentially and Arkansas, who I think is the winner right now, And I got to ask, well, ask John of course when we get to it, and you guys can chime in as well. It's not a big deal, but Colorado did something with some social media content that I think is like the lamest thing you could do.
Speaker 4: It's just corny. But then again, like, what did what did? What did Dan Lanning say?
Speaker 3: About him, like you know, they're the the these something about yeah yeah, and this game they're gonna be played in Hollywood or something like that. Like I mean, it's really not surprising because again we're talking about about Colorado, so we can get into that. And uh, also, you know, just just.
Speaker 4: Mix it up today. It's we're gonna do We're gonna have some fun.
Speaker 2: Is Arkansas's fan base do they just get into it with everybody? Because I know they kind of have the new rivalry with Kentucky and then you got this with Colorado.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, Arkansas's fan base, uh is a lot larger than I think most people realized until Like Kentucky fans, I've always known Arkansas has a big fan base, but you you really saw a lot of them whenever Kentucky Cali Perry left Kentucky to got Arkansas, because then it became like, you know, a war between Big Blue Nation and hog Nation. And I think Kentucky fans were a little surprised at like how many they are and how ruthless they are, Like they're diehard fans, they live in Arkansas.
Speaker 4: What else do they have to do?
Speaker 3: They love their razorbacks, But this is actually from the official Arkansas Twitter account, not not their fans.
Speaker 4: So yeah, anyways, let's get to a quick break. We'll come back.
Speaker 3: Keep this party rolling along at his Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Some tough news coming out of the NFL for a former well he's from the area, played at Trinity High School, but actually from New Albany. I believe Rondel Moore also played for Jeff Brohm at Perdue. It sounds like he had what is believed to be a pretty serious injury today at the Falcons practice. So he has been taken to a hospital there in Atlanta with an air cast on his right leg. They ended up canceling the practice after the injury took place, and sounds like the whole team was huddled up praying for him. So it sounds to me pretty serious, which is which is tough, I mean for anybody. But you know, he's coming up on a big year. I mean, he's timing is not if this ends up being a serious injury that keeps him out for significant time, maybe the whole season. Timing is terrible because he's entering the final year of his rookie contract, and you know, if he's able to if he was able to be healthy and really shine with Kirk Cousins there in Atlanta, that could that could give him, you know a chance of having a pretty big contract. But obviously with an injury here that would be would be tough to do if it keeps him out for a long time. So he'll always be remembered as as as at least for me as a guy that you know, got away a little bit right. So the story of Rondell Moore, he was at Trinity High School, was one of the many, many talented guys they had in whatever year he came out, I think it might have been in twenty eighteen maybe, And Bobby Patrino and his staff they did recruit him, but they did not really make him priority, you know, they didn't.
Speaker 4: In fact, they had other guys at his position. I can't think of who it was.
Speaker 3: There was a receiver that they got that they really liked. Actually it might might have been might have been was it too too at well maybe I'm not sure. But they had another receiver that they really liked. But Rodnell Moore apparently just didn't feel as if like he was going to be prioritized, and you know, he just wasn't feeling as if he as if he was somebody that they really wanted, and and you know, maybe they didn't, but they did recruit him, it just wasn't to the level that other big schools were, like Texas. So he originally committed to Texas. I believe might have been when who was the coach there at the time. Wasn't Charlie Strong. I think it might have been the uh Tom Herman who was there briefly and but didn't want to didn't want to go that far away from home. He had a relationship with the Broms obviously because he played at Trinity and he was recruited by brom at Perdue ended up deciding to go to Purdue, and he was sensational that year that Jeff Brown really broke the root Purdue and they knocked off Urban Meyer in Ohio State and and blow out fashion. More was sort of their star player. And I remember being in Orlando for the Louisville Alabama game and it might have been one of the first games of the season, but Purdue and somebody played on a Thursday night. I'm not sure who it was, and Rondell Moore was a superstar first ever college game he played, and you know, the story always was, man, this kid's really good.
Speaker 4: Why didn't we prioritize him?
Speaker 3: Why didn't Bobby make sure this kid didn't go anywhere other than Louisville? And you know, he ended up having a a great season. Bobby had an awful season, won two games, and was fired before the season ended. And then Rondel Moore of course came back for another season at Purdue, and I think he had some injury issues, didn't finish like the last eight games or whatnot, and then gets drafted and has not really had a huge impact since being in the league. But talent is certainly not a problem for him. So hopefully this injury is not too severe, but it certainly does not sound good at this point. All right, it's coffee and company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports seven to ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us here on a Wednesday afternoon. If you want to be a part of the show, you can do it. Five O two five seven, nine hundred is the number. If you want to give us a call. You can also text in five O two sixty five to three zero seven ninety on the ln N Federal Credit Union text line, and we will go to the phone lines now and welcome in Lance.
Speaker 4: Lance.
Speaker 5: How are you hey, Nick? How you doing today?
Speaker 4: Not too bad?
Speaker 5: Well? And just on the the Jim Harball stuff, Uh you know, I mean, it's it's no big secret. Everybody knows Michigan cheated beginning to end last season to win that title, and that title should be taken away. And it looks like the NCOA is gonna get scared and not do it. But with the punishment that Louisville got in basketball a few years ago and now the punishment with Kentucky, which both of those punishments were far worse than what Michigan got with the four year show calls on h with Jim Harball, Like this is the moment that the twoses need to come together and have the state Attorney General file lawsuit against the nc double A and Mitch Barnhart because he's part of it, foul lawsuit against them to get those wins back, and especially I mean Kentucky. It's not a big deal, it's not going to affect it. But the stuff with Louisville back in thirteen and with fourteen or fifteen, I would definitely be pushing for a lawsuit. If they're gonna let North Carolina have thirteen hundred people take fake classes and then protect them because the acc half the people that run the NC doulway come out of the acc or if they're going to protect Jim Harball, then why don't we file lawsuit against them to get the wins back to appeal the decisions they made.
Speaker 4: Lance, I appreciate the phone call, brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to be clear that the punishment that was handed out today is just for Jim Harball, you know, I don't. I mean, unless I'm missing something, it's just for him specifically, and that's a good thing for Michigan. Now, if they end up, you know, getting in trouble with the science stealing stuff, that'll be something that I would assume that they as a program get hit with. But that's you know, they haven't even actually gotten a notice of allegations for that just yet. There was just a diraft that was put together that one of the reporters for ESPN got a hold of. But you know, with the lawsuit stuff, you know, I think the University of Louisville. I believe that they feel is if they waited out and continue to not have any other further issues with compliance and rules being broken and all that, as well as the landscape of college sports changing so much to where like guys are clearly getting paid now, the schools are going to be paying these players themselves moving forward.
Speaker 4: So I think they hope that just with.
Speaker 3: Due time, wins will be reinstated, They'll be able to hold up their banner once again, and everything will be okay. Like I think they believe that. However, the lawsuit that was filed, if this has been some it's been some time since this happened, but if you remember, Louisville had a few players from that team in twenty thirteen that sued and won against the NC DOUBLEA to an extent. So it was Luke Hancock, Gorgy Jang, Stephen Venturies, Tim Henderson, and Mike Mara who agreed to a settlement with the NC DOUBLEA in a lawsuit that of course centered around them vacating the twenty thirteen title. So U of L at that time did not join them in legal action, which I can't speak for any of those guys. But I do know that at least a couple of them, and I don't think they've been super shy about it. That really bothered them that the school didn't sort of join forces with them to say, hey, look, this isn't right what you're doing. We're going to take legal action. But in order for the national title to no longer be vacanted through a lawsuit, Luke Hancock and his crew, those guys, they can't file that lawsuit. The university has to do that. They chose not to file any legal action. They complied with the NC double A. I mean they disassociated guys who didn't cooperate. I mean they at that point made it quite I mean again Louisville, I mean they they cooperated and thought it was going to help him out and it didn't at all at all when it comes to the punishment that was handed out from the Minoriti Hall stuff. And then after the fact they still and again I'm not saying they were wrong for doing that. I mean, I think you have to be pretty brazen to just decide, okay, we cooperated it it didn't help. Now it's double birds to the NC double A. We're gonna do whatever we want and sue you if you try to. If you try to, you know, hold us accountable for anything.
Speaker 4: So you know, I.
Speaker 3: For any any wins to be reinstated for schools and whatnot, and you know, titles, the school would have to do that, I'm pretty sure, and they just they have and they haven't chose to do that. And when it comes to the Kentucky situation where they had, I mean I think that they I mean, I don't know, I'd be just making stuff up to say they got off light and they avoided an even more severe penalty than having an entire season vacated. But you know, it was something they agreed to with the n C DOUAA as far as you know, here's what we're going to do so which we'll get into that a little bit later on, because you know, I became pretty numb to scandals being a part of the conversation with shows like this that I host. I mean, I've been doing this for gosh, almost ten years now, and unfortunately, for you know, a decent chunk of that time, there's been scandals either breaking that we have to talk about, or there's been a an extremely long period of time while we wait to figure out what the punishment is for said scandal.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just.
Speaker 3: Been, it's just been, it's just been kind of a mess. So again, I don't know what the norm is elsewhere, but like it is wild to me. And you're starting to see some more coverageure locally from those in you know that work for the local news stations kind of asking like, hey, that's a pretty big deal in regards to what happened with Kentucky last week. Losing an entire season, one of the best seasons in school history, and not a peep from their athletic director or their football coach.
Speaker 4: Like that's a little odd.
Speaker 3: So maybe they're staying quiet because you know, they don't agree with it, and they feel like maybe they would they would say something that they later regret.
Speaker 4: But who's I mean again, like what do I know.
Speaker 3: I'm not somebody that works within college athletics, but I just get the I get the sense right now that nobody really has the fear of the NCAA and their punishment like they did years ago, because in recent years when they've tried, I mean, if you remember the Tennessee situation right where they got in trouble and they got hit with some notice about NIL violations in Virginia and in Florida State, like they just hired a lot lawsuit. In fact, I think Florida State actually fell on the sword and just decided to cooperate. But had they filed a lawsuit like Tennessee, did you know, it probably would have beat the NCAA in court. Because all the NUAA is doing when it comes to legal process right now is taking fat ls.
Speaker 4: That's all they're doing. All right. Uh, let's see here.
Speaker 3: I was gonna go to the text line, and we've got some good text coming in, but if I if I dive in, I feel like it's going to mess up the clock management, which I got.
Speaker 4: To to my own horn a little bit.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: It's our it's off to a decent start today.
Speaker 2: I think you've been doing good all week.
Speaker 4: So far with the clock management.
Speaker 3: Happy to hear that, you know, it's always good to hear that encouragement as I try to fix the uh. You know, I mean, I probably have a lot of issues as an on air host, but one of that that's probably the one that's just been the uh, the one that's lingered the longest, is I just never can can balance the clock very well.
Speaker 2: But we've gotten better at knowing it's the clock management. You gotta makeure you get there, Ellen there. Yeah, don't leave it.
Speaker 3: Very true, very true. But one of the first texts that came in earlier today that you know, I'm just I'm I'm visualizing the scenario they've presented that you know, I I don't know the answer who would win in a tag team matchup if the tag teams were Mark Pope and Mark Stoops versus Pat Kelsey and Jeff Bron.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we've got to start off with what would their tag team like name be.
Speaker 4: It's a good question, let's get creative.
Speaker 2: Mark Squared is pretty lame, but that's for some reason what popped in my head for Mark and Mark or maybe you can just call it Marky.
Speaker 3: Mark Ye and the like Marky Mark something Marky Mark right, because they're both Marks.
Speaker 4: But what like it would just be.
Speaker 3: Clearly one of them is nearly seven feet tall, so like and I don't know how tall. Yeah, I mean, yeah, that doesn't mean. Let's be honest, I don't find like as much as I'm sure these guys would, you know, what would beat me up because I'm not a fighter.
Speaker 4: Trust me.
Speaker 3: This isn't like I'm challenging anybody to a fight. But despite him being a giant, I actually feel like Mark Stoops would be more of a physical threat than Mark Pope just because of you know what, I what I sense from personality. And again I've not watched Mark Pope coach a whole lot, but he just seems like a pretty like he doesn't seem like a super high energy intensity in your face. You know, I'll body slam you kind of guy.
Speaker 2: He brings cookies to the press.
Speaker 4: Comp Yeah, I'd say everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, that's well said John. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Maybe we'll figure out what these tag team duos would be named. Look, I mean Jeff Brahm and Pat Kelsey. I mean, I think they're kind of psycho They're kind of psychopathic when it comes to like battle and competition. So I'm clearly taking those guys. All right, stick around coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety All right, let's go back to the text line five two six five three zero seven ninety again, it's the l in Federal Credit Union text line. This text says, Nick, I hate to hear that about Rondell Moore, but have you heard if there's any truth to Jeff Brohm wanting to utilize Colin Lacy the same way he did more at Purdue. I haven't heard anything as far as you know, like Jeff Brohm telling people that's what he's going to do. But yes, people have made some comparisons there because Colin Lacey's a guy who really I mean, his numbers last year at South Alabama were really impressive. I'm gonna pull him up here just so I make sure I have him have the right numbers here. But yeah, he Let's see last year at at South Alabama he had one and sixteen yards seven touchdowns averaged. Let's see, this doesn't show his average, but yeah, I mean he's a guy. Yards after catch is certainly something he excels with. And the same thing with Rondel Moore. I'm not going to try to tell you that Colin Lacy's going to be the next Rondel Moore. But as far as just a shifty, smaller receiver five ten, two hundred pounds, yeah, I mean I could absolutely see him being a similar type of weapon.
Speaker 4: But as far as you know.
Speaker 3: Having that type of upside and overall talent that you know, I just I think they'd be putting a lot on Colin Lacy, who's transferring in from South Alabama. That's not to say that because he's from South Alabama you shouldn't be excited and you know, and that you you should expect him to take a huge step back. I mean, the reality is, we don't know for sure, but Rondill Moore is a guy who, I mean, at times he was one of the most explosive and you know, talented players in college football. I mean, he was pretty damn good at Purdue prior to injuries. And he was also a guy who ended up being taken in the second round of the NFL Draft. So I'm not gonna say that he's going to be calling the Colin Lacey's going to be Rondell Moore for Louisville this year. But I certainly could see why folks would say, hey, that's the kind of piece as far as just the way he's going to be utilized, just because the similarities. In fact, Colin Lacey's a little bit bigger than Rondel Moore is and of all the transfers that Louisville has landed. I mean, again, maybe this is part of me just doing what I do. As we get closer to the season, I'm getting more and more eager and you know, excited and trying to trying to manufacture some disrespect out there about Louisville even when it doesn't exist. But you know, Louisville's transfer portal class, there was a lot of noise during during his post spring about the guys leaving that Louisville's checks were bouncing, and I think it might have created or might have just made people assume that they lost dudes that were so good that there's no way Louisville's transfer class can really make that big of an impact. They still have some dudes that are talented. Lacey's one of them. But you know Jacry Brooks at Alabama, I mean, that's a guy who last year, you know, was not super productive.
Speaker 4: But it's because he was injured.
Speaker 3: I mean, he missed a ton of time last year with an injury, and that is why he was not as impactful for Alabama last year.
Speaker 4: And oh, by the way, you know, life.
Speaker 3: Was a little bit easier for Jacory Brooks when he was catching passes from Bryce Young and not Jalen Milroe, who was, you know, a guy who a lot of people debated it was he even good enough to be the starting quarterback at Alabama. So, you know, I I think Jacory Brooks and Colin Lacy, along with Chris Bell, who I hope has a real big breakthrough season this year, like I think Louisville could have some pretty damn good receivers.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 3: Not to say people aren't talking about that or that it's being ignored, but you know, I still look at the portal class that was brought in this year and it's I mean, it's it's better than last year's portal class that made a huge impact. And that's you know, that's knowing that he brought in Grinda, who ended up being a great addition, but he wasn't even looked at as somebody that was supposed to he just really never know. But Grida wasn't wasn't hyped as a guy that was going to come in and really be such a big difference maker for for Bram. But he did, you know, him and him and Jordan together, they were they were since and then I mean Plumber. I mean, I don't think there was any buzz about Plumber. And to be clear, he didn't light the world on fire, but he was good enough to where you could have him as your starting quarterback and you could put together a pretty special season. So yeah, answer your question. I hope we see some flashes of of the way Rondell Moore was used at Perdue just and I hope we see that with Colin Lacey here, just like Jeff used Rondell back at Purdue. I can't believe it's been that long since he played it Purdue. Where's time gone? It's crazy, all right. So we've got some people sharing their thoughts on the potential tag team matchup if it was Mark Stoops and Mark Pope taking on Jeff Brahm and Pat Kelsey. And this is not a topic I thought of. This isn't content that I can claim I came up with. It's just somebody on the text line, which I'll give him credit. Like it's got me thinking, we'll never know. It's a silly hypothetical, But isn't that what radio is in August around here?
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: Silly hypotheticals. A lot of people in the text line that are Kentucky fans are making making reference to Pat Kelsey's stature because you know, he's not a very tall guy. I mean, you ever heard of Raymisterio.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, sweep the legs, Mark Pope don't stand a chance like Jeff Brom.
Speaker 4: I mean that's a guy. I mean, Jeff Brom's not a small guy.
Speaker 3: I mean Jeff Brom six ' one two fifteen probably guessing like he played, and he's an NFL quarterback for crying out loud, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, like Jeff Brom. The XFL clip from many many.
Speaker 3: Years ago is viral for obvious reasons because it's he's one tough son of a bitch. So you know, I like, I like my chances and Pat Kelsey. He may not be big in stature. I don't know how tall he is, but you know he's he's feisty, he's wiry, he's intense.
Speaker 4: He might bite. He might bite your leg and.
Speaker 2: Stoops were just whine about not being paid enough to do the fight.
Speaker 3: Well done. Yeah, he might he might do that. He might just you know, he didn't know how much longer he done much more of this he can take.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, honestly, Brom could carry well. He could probably be both of them. And this is coming from Sony is not a Louisville dude.
Speaker 3: Jeff Brom isn't is in the heat of battle, I mean, he is as intense as anybody you'll find.
Speaker 4: I mean that doesn't mean I.
Speaker 3: Think he's a really good coach, but like take away like the fact that he's a pretty good coach that has that has that has proven to be a pretty a pretty consistent winner. But like I'm just talking about him in in you know, in the heat of it, like he's he's intense as can be.
Speaker 4: With with Pope, I.
Speaker 3: Don't really know a lot about Mark Pope, like other than he played at Kentucky and then was at Utah Valley b YU and now he's back at Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Like he seems he wouldn't want to fight, He would just want to talk it out, Yes, And that's that. That's the dead honest truth.
Speaker 3: I feel like somebody on the text und said he's a male. Karen would just complain enough. I mean, I need something from Mark Pope to like give me some kind of energy towards him as the head coach of the rival program that I hate because I'm not saying I like him, but like, I can't really find anything about him that makes me say all that's somesh you know what I mean, Like Cal was the perfect villain for this rivalry, and so is Rick to be honest with you for them for obvious reasons. So I mean, I'm sure once Pope starts coaching games, instincts will just kick in, But honestly, I can't with Mark Stoops, Like I don't mean, he's the Kentucky coach, and I hope he loses every game and when they do struggle or he says something foolish like he has here lately about just not being able to do his job anymore despite making a gazillion dollars a year. It seems like I'll poke fun at him, but I don't really find him to be like unlikable.
Speaker 4: And he beats us a lot now and I don't like that.
Speaker 3: We'll come up with some good names for these tech team dues a little bit later on, among other things too. I mean, this is a real, very serious sports talk show where we talk sports a lot of sports important stuff in sports right here on Sports Talk seven ninety