Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout Podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of January twenty seventh, we are continuing with Lost Season two, episode six, Abandoned Oh Boy, in which coming in hot, we have a challenger for all the bad bad dads. It's an evil stepmother, oh.
Speaker 2: Man, cold as ice that.
Speaker 1: One, yea. I honestly have we learned nothing from the parent trap. Don't marry somebody who's gonna hate your daughter. Yeah, come on, Cinderella, Come on many tales of woe this very situation, mister Rutherford, What the bleep?
Speaker 2: What were you thinking?
Speaker 1: Dude? Although really, obviously Channon will never know this, but is Jack's decision not to treat her father first that put her on the path that eventually led to her untimely death. Yes, Oh that was a rough ending.
Speaker 2: That was I wasn't quite expecting.
Speaker 1: That, you know, even though wildly through the jungle enough times, somebody's gonna get shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, although Alma Lucia having just said she only had one bullet like she was rather indiscriminate with it.
Speaker 1: She was, she's just making friends wherever she goes, and it's very nice to meet y'all. I just killed your friend. But hey, we're from the other part of the plane.
Speaker 2: Right, bring us take us to your leader.
Speaker 1: It's it possible Sawyer will now not be the most hated person.
Speaker 2: If Sawyer survives, which we may make.
Speaker 1: Sawyer survives, Yes, yes, but there's competition now. Yeah, that was unfortunate, sad. And you know that stepmother maybe not quite as bad as Luck's dad because she did not like remove any internal organs from Shannon, but she made Shannon sympathetic mm hmm, which is not an easy task. This show has been setting us up against that girl for the entire season and a bird and all of a sudden, it's like, oh, man, so that's why she's the way she is. That's why she was scamming for money, right, that is, you can't throw her some these people are pretty rich. I think they could, I know, write her a check.
Speaker 2: And it was like she was going, that's what she was trying to do, like I'm moving across the country. You will never see me again. Just let me go.
Speaker 1: What a yeah, pleasant lady.
Speaker 2: UN's mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well she has no more children weighing her down now, So yeah, for wherever she whatever dimension she is in.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, we don't know much.
Speaker 1: Yeah that so Locke turns out to be the kind of person who writes a baby book.
Speaker 2: A baby whisperer.
Speaker 1: They're missing Sawyer, Clara and Charlie damn right, but Lock comes in with this waddling works every time? Did you I had I have no tiny baby experience? Is that true?
Speaker 2: I mean yes, I think I do. Think they like it, and I think it works when they are like very very very little, when they're the size of Aaron who even though he's supposed to be a newborn, is like a six month old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said on lost video was played by a six month old.
Speaker 2: You can't. You can't be doing that anymore. Like they're gonna they're gonna fight it. So yeah, yeah, And it's just it's just a way to wrap them up like tight and cozy. So I don't think it would necessarily have the inc that it does when locked did it like well.
Speaker 1: Because it's though, you know, yes, and and you know, the other person who sort of fancies himself a parenting expert would.
Speaker 2: Be Charlie right with.
Speaker 1: Claire just needs to slap him upside the head. What the heck? Yeah, dude, come on, he's telling Locke, you know, she doesn't know much about having.
Speaker 2: She was going to give him up, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Sir, yeah, just who are you rude? And then of course Claire just lets slip that maybe Charlie is a religious fanatic because he has a statue of Mary. Yes, and Locke is like, let me just file that way. Where possibly could he have gotten that? I wonder? Oh man, he's busted and he doesn't even know nope, I mean holding that information over his head for quite sometime.
Speaker 2: Now, theoretically it could be empty. He'd be like.
Speaker 1: It was empty, it was because it all went it's Charlie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then he'd be suffering again from its black.
Speaker 1: So that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this like you said the activity was going to pick up, and I would say that it did.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, yes it did. And much time spent here on Sayid trying to louse Shannon, and I keep thinking, wasn't there was it, Nadia? Wasn't there all in your life that you did all this stuff for? She just like pretty blond in from of me. I'll go for it. Yeah, yeah, it's okay. I mean I could see people being thrown together in a trying time and everything. But he seemed a little eager now, eager and love was a big word to use in this context.
Speaker 2: I would say, yes, everything is as crazy as it is.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so, but he made her a little a little hovel special tent with no ulterior motives about what they might do whatsoever. No, No, it was her.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So twice in this episode Will appears right yes to Shannon. Now do we think the second time that Sayid really did see him?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I didn't get that impression, or he just being like.
Speaker 2: Yes, Shannon, whatever you say, you know, trying to yes.
Speaker 1: I think that's what he was doing, right. I think he you know, his booty call was interrupted because he was so stupid as to say, you're making it all up, shut up, right, and maybe he can. I don't know. I'm losing a little respect for Sayid here, But Okay, the problem is I could not see Walt. I could not see anything that was going on in the dark. With my eyes on a TV screen across the room, I had no idea what was happening. I had to try to remember. I mean, I knew he was there. I knew Shannon was seeing her right, And honestly, how can anybody doubt that there's supernatural weirdness going on. Everybody has had some exposure supernatural weirdness on this island at that's this point, haven't they. Why Sayid would be so oh it's all in your head, honey, Yeah, there are people whispering out there.
Speaker 2: You were you hear that for sure?
Speaker 1: You didn't hear that side, No, you were just making it up. It's okay. Everybody is like should be accepting at this point that if somebody says I saw Walt, that Walt was indeed seen, and if they don't, well, then you know they deserve what's coming to him. But wow, it's just you know, yeah, the first person I can see saying no, I mean Jack has seen his dead dad. I guess he hasn't shared that information too. Yeah, lots of people have seen a lot of stuff, So I would think that the response to be instead of no, Shannon, it's all in your head, is well, what did he say? And what do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Tell me about it?
Speaker 1: What? Yeah? What experience have you had that you were applying to this? I don't know. Yeah, it's just it seems like we are well past the that's not real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also Walt, try somebody else like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was my other thought, is that Shannon, he's going to Shannon?
Speaker 2: Well, and even if if Shannon was his choice the first time, like, Okay, that didn't really work, so don't keep trying again.
Speaker 1: And it's right, Shannon, like.
Speaker 2: There's forty other people here that you.
Speaker 1: Who who would anybody believe?
Speaker 2: Though? I know?
Speaker 1: But just like any rose, he could appear to rows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that little boy. What a sweet child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. It's just I guess he's a test some attachment to Shannon, because Shannon has the dogs. Who was on the leash this time?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: We found out that amongst the uh, the new arrivals, the tail crew is us. Uh was she said, clinical clinical psychology.
Speaker 2: Well, honey, we need you. You're gonna be busy, get ready.
Speaker 1: Do you have any experience with daddy issues?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, yep, yep, yep, almost more than a surgeon. They need. She could set up one of those little lucy five cent booths on money. But bring me food, bring me a banana, or to some fish. Yes, yeah, yeah from the hatch. Yeah that's true. Well, no, not anymore because gives gave it all the way.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Never mind, Maybe find a candy bar someplace.
Speaker 2: Yes, some people may have squirreled theirs away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who will be useful? And uh we just uh we just got a little tiny bit of rose, just just to keep us reminded. Yes, she says, can't be easy losing the one person you love on the island. He's coming as we speak, unless he gets disappeared by the others like Cindy. She was right here right, So these are these are some people in need of uh psychological psychological help themselves. I wonder if if Libby has already been at work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well and doesn't see she's not exactly.
Speaker 1: What he freaked out. But soon they show Well, I guess they have come together now, although in an unfortunate way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but now we know that they're almost almost there, almost there.
Speaker 1: Sawyer is being dressed. They say they need a stretcher for Sawyer, and Michael says to mister Eco, can you help me? And then like in the next scene, there's it's extremely elaborate the stretcher. Basically since this basket that they made for him, I needed a little captain that said one weekly.
Speaker 2: Well, and they enlisted Bernard to go get some big sticks.
Speaker 1: M I just have that whole unless they like found a piece of netting in the jungle, I don't know how that rope thing in the middle, how they like together.
Speaker 2: Wove that all together.
Speaker 1: Some fiber art magic ipplies on the.
Speaker 2: Other, yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: So anyway, Yeah, that was that was the way that we bring together the two island contingents, at least we assume there's only two island contingents. Wow, the bazillion.
Speaker 2: Two from the plane from the two flight what was it? Eight fifteen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And next Tuesday we will continue with season two, episode seven of Lost the Other forty eight Days. What do you think that's going to be about?
Speaker 2: Well, I confess I know that it is about these tail section survivors and what happened to them in the same amount of time that we have been hanging out with everybody else. Yes, sounds like the body count is higher.
Speaker 1: It does sound that way, although maybe it's not exactly.
Speaker 2: They're not necessarily dead.
Speaker 1: Right that other because Claire was othered for a while and then she uh was got out. So we've lost our BodyCount. Well, now our body count of actual UH cast members we know is two at this.
Speaker 2: Point, right, Boone and Shannon?
Speaker 1: Did anybody else? I think the other ones have been like extras.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or the air Marshal that was a while ago, Marshal yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But of our our core cast, yeah, so they're doing a little better. What from the sound of it, right, we shall see UH and we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss a Man on the inside. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon, Mute, Muzi, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.