Speaker 1: Thank you, John. It is eight oh four. In fact, now it's eight oh five. It was aight o four when I said it, but there's a slight delay in live radio. I think a lot of you know that, and there's actually a bigger delay of your streaming, so I would have been a liar.
Speaker 2: It's eight o five. It is Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Its morning news here our news radio eight forty whas Nick coffee with you. We're gonna be joined coming up by Roory O'Neal in roughly twenty five minutes. We'll get the latest as it seems as if things are going to be slowing down, which is which is what we want, because the ceasefire is finally in full effect, after it seemed laid into Monday evening into Tuesday morning that we were heading in that direction, and I guess maybe we were, but there were some roadblocks along the way, if you will, right, you had some final jabs from both sides. But it now sounds as if we fully have ceasefire, and the situation between Israel and Iran, I'm sure is still contentious, and I doubt that they're making a rangements to get together and you enjoy each other's company, But the development in the last I guess seventy two hours is a positive one. I don't think that's I don't think that's out of line at all. And I don't have a problem admitting this. Maybe I shouldn't, but when it comes to the overall coverage of this, I think you can be somebody that doesn't I shouldn't say you don't care, but I'm sure there's people that don't care about the war between Israel and Iran, and the only care if the United States is involvement is going to impact them. And I think a lot of people, understandably so would view this big piece of news that of course is the most talked about thing in the world as something that they don't really have any control over. So they're going to live their life and just not give a whole lot of time and resources to it because they can't control it. So I have no problem admitting that. And you'd ask me as far as the amount of fatalities casualties, if you will, with the back and forth missile attacks from Israel and Iran, I wouldn't have even known where to start as far as guessing, but I would have guessed a lot more than what actually took place. And it's not to act as if well, it's not a big deal. Only a handful of people died. I mean, anybody dying is tragic thing, especially if you know it's because of a conflict that you know, the many in these countries maybe don't agree with. But the overall number here this was as of as of yesterday, that Israel reported four deaths from Iranian missile attacks and Iran reported nine from the Israeli strikes. So maybe I'm wrong, Maybe maybe many would have guessed a lot lower than that, but that is the total numbers. So it now sounds as if there's I mean, again, this is a big There was a scenario where this could have played out for a lot longer than it actually did. And as I said Monday, we're all guessing as far as where this goes. Anybody that tried to tell you on Saturday exactly what would play out, either good or bad, either Democrat or Republican or somebody maybe even take away the political affiliation. You just consider if you were against it or supporting it. You just didn't know. We were all guessing. But it would not have been a surprise if this lasted a lot longer than it actually did, so that is encouraging. But again we'll talk to Rory O'Neil about that coming up here in about twenty minutes or so. So yesterday on with Terry Minors, Tom Jurich joined Terry to discuss the big event coming up on Saturday morning where he will be honored and U of L and the city have decided to name part of Floyd Street after Tom Jurich, which of course is certainly an honor that he is worthy of. But he came on to talk about it yesterday with Terry, and one of the things he did discuss, other than just him being humbled by this gesture, but just the landscape of college athletics, because man, it has changed a lot just in the last three four years, but it's changed. It's a different it's a different world. And that doesn't even really put it into full com I mean it's to say that it's a different role would actually be a massive understatement as far as the landscape of college athletics now and what it was when Tom Jurich was was the athletic director. He's been going from U of L since twenty seventeen but here are his comments on the current current landscape of it.
Speaker 3: I think they're going to be fine. I think everybody's got to kind of feel their way through this whole thing. It's different. It's hard to call it college sports anymore. You know, it's a really it's a professional leagues. And then they're going to have to treat it that way because it's a business.
Speaker 1: It is a business, and Tom Jurich effectively ran U of L athletics like it was a pro sports franchise to an extent as far as just the the corporate sponsorships, and I mean Tom did a lot of things things really really well. That that again, as I've mentioned many times since this news was shared last week by Mayor Greenberg, you know his impact on you Havel athletics. It's it's as he's been as impactful as any individual in the history of the university when it comes to athletics, just because of the foundation that was established. So you know, with that, he did it in a different way. And I think in the current world and I'm not saying now as we sit here on June twenty fifth of twenty twenty five, I mean Tom's been retired for quite some time. I'm assuming if he wanted to pursue work, he could have done it. But I do think the way in which he did things would have really translated well in this new in this new era, things that are really really important fan engagement, you know, raising money, raising funds, knowing that you got to you know, you got to compete at a high, high level, and you got to sustain that success. I mean that those are things that are again, are really important now. And that's those are those are some of the many things he was really really good at.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 1: Right, let's get an update on traffickan weather right here on news radio eight forty whas eight sixteen here Kentucky and his morning news on news radio eight forty whas. So, the jury was selected yesterday for the Crystal Rogers case. And it's not at all surprised that many of the potential jurors were having to come clean. And I say come clean, like they had to admit something that was a big secret. But yeah, one hundred potential jurors had knowledge of this case because of the news coverage, true crime podcast documentaries, or just hearing about it every day. So that of course led to the jury selection being a little different than I would say most cases, but they did end up getting a jury in place, and this trial will be covered, I think, nationally in a way that you rarely see a story from Kentucky. I mean, it's happened. Obviously, the Breonna Taylor stuff got a lot of national attention, and there have been some unfortunate things that have taken place that that falls in that true crime genre that is super popular in society. There to where these stories end up featured, not just with national news coverage but just different documentaries, podcasts, things like that. So I think with this trial taking place in Bowling Green in Warren County, you'll see not just national news coverage covering it live, but production crews there to to once again do some type of a special about this. Because again that's just that's how That's one, it's a super popular genre, but also it's this is this this story is interesting to a lot of people because ten years have now passed and you also have the the death of her father that that a lot of people assume is clearly related to the disappearance of her. And then some think that the the murder of the the office the Officer Ellis who was killed years I mean don't. I won't claim to know all the answers. In fact, I know nothing other than what you just see and read and hear from all the coverage of those that you know are taken advantage of the interest in this story. But I mean, it wouldn't shock me if we ever do get to the point and find out that all of this is somehow related. But you have an Oxygen special that was the disappearance of Crystal Rogers that was really popular that took place in twenty eighteen. HLN network did something called Bourbon Town Mystery, and I think it featured both of those specific stories, not only the Chrystal Rogers disappearance but also the murder of Jason Ellis. You know, I'm looking at others see other specific networks that covered this to this extent. I mean, still a mystery is what they called it. It was an investigation Discovery that was a special about the Crystal Rogers case that came out in twenty twenty and then also twenty twenty Dateline NBC they did specials on it. So this will be probably one of the most covered trials coming from this state on a national level, not only with again news coverage, but also with interest just from people who really, I mean again, I'm somebody that is at least a very small factor in this. But true crime is such a popular and dominant genre right now and has been for a long time. I don't really see it changing to where this being a you know, you now actually have a trial here and you're going to see if, in fact the suspect her ex boyfriend, Brooks Howck, who most assume is guilty of this. I shouldn't say that I don't know that for certain, but I know a lot of people do believe that he's guilty. And we'll see how this plays out. But no doubt a lot of coverage in Bowling Green, and I know I'm going to be following along, and I'm sure I'm not alone. All Right, let's get an update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald coming up here in about five minutes. Also, Roryo and Neil of NBC News going to join us at eight thirty right here on News Radio eight forty. Whas we've got about fifteen minutes left here before we hand it off to Tony and why it is Kentucky is Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas so Tony Vineddi is with us now and this state Bill one eighty one that is now in place in Jefferson County is I think a bigger deal than a lot of people realize, just because there's things that just become very that became very normal over the years when you were a teacher a coach that now you it's a big, big no no. So what this does. The Senate bill won anyone, I should say. It is now in effect, and it restricts how public school employees, volunteers, coaches can can communicate with students. So no texting, social media, no third party app communications, and everything now has to be done through traceable communication methods. And sounds like the school systems are putting their own version of whatever that platform is going to be. But JCPS staff, as of until August first, they must use only JCPS email or communicate with parents directly. But starting August first and on, j CPS will have their adopted standardized traceable canmunications. Everybody within the state has until August fifteenth to comply with this new law. So obviously there's a reason this is happening. Is because there's way too many people within the school system. Rather it be coaches, teachers, maybe both volunteers who coach but don't work at the school that have crossed the line that you simply cannot cross, and a lot of them have ended up going to prison for that. But now, if the example I gave earlier Tony was if you had a great game and I'm your coach, I can't tweet out that you had a great game and tag you on Twitter and maybe you know have coaches see that you had a good game. I think the notion that you can't text a player directly is just going to be a bit Again, it's just athletics. That's the only way I'm looking at it. When I think of school, I think of athletics. That's just that was a big part of my of high school for me. But like a coach, not being able to communicate with a standard text message, hey I'll meet you at the gym for a workout, or hey tell your teammates you're the captain, practice is going to be delayed. Like you now, not only can't do that, you will be in major trouble if you do.
Speaker 4: It takes a couple of idiots to make to do this as it's all it is always just to one or two idiots that that do the wrong thing. You're you're texting uh inappropriate things, maybe to a female athlete, or you're texting. They had a problem in grade school football twenty years ago where there was a coach texting other UH players on the teams of that they play, and they were going back and forth with smack talk and it was okay. So that's where it can go wrong. Where it can go right is a special practice. Hey, you need to work on your on your going to your left, so you know, text me meet you, meet me in the gym at at six in the morning, bam. So then we're there. It's not the whole team, it's just that guy. Yes, it makes it more difficult, but this is the world we live in to where litigation and lawsuits and all that. So now they're just covering their butts uh trying not to get sued because a couple of idiots just take it too far.
Speaker 2: Because what do we do with sports? Take it too far.
Speaker 4: So it sucks and the other slight or the other problem with this is most people think, how do how do high school kids get Division one offers. A lot of it is your coach promoting you and sending you out right, That's that is a big part of it.
Speaker 1: So it's it's a huge part of it. And here's the thing. Most college most kids who want to play college athletics that are well aware they're not going to.
Speaker 2: Be not just a vision on any any it's way more important.
Speaker 1: And in fact, you won't You won't be able to get on the radar of an AI program or a Division II school if your coach is not really.
Speaker 2: Putting at work to do that and advocating you for you.
Speaker 4: Going back to nineteen eighty three, All the Right Moves with Tom Cruise, that was the entire point of the movie was he had gotten out with his coach and he the coach was promoting all the other players but him, and he wasn't getting the college scholarship. Well, that hasn't changed high school coaches, especially in football and basketball, if they're not promoting you to the college co which is tell me on your team, who can play with us, and if they're not promoting you, you're out.
Speaker 2: You're out. So that is an issue. But again blame blame.
Speaker 4: The people are just we call it too passionate about sports, and they are you need some of these people that are too passionate about sports.
Speaker 2: But well, this is the problem.
Speaker 1: It can have. Like playing basketball in high school did not do anything for me, like nothing as far as like the actual playing the sport did anything for me in life. But the experience and what I got from it was to this day has been a huge impact on my life.
Speaker 2: And I was.
Speaker 1: Really close with my high school coach and know a lot of people were. And now you you can still do that. It's gonna be there's gonna be some limitations to it. It'll be an adjustment for a lot.
Speaker 4: Here's the other difference is before if you walked onto the field at Trinity or a Bullet East or wherever as a freshman, that's the first time the coach is the meeting you. Now high schools are like college used to be. They know you from sixth grade, fifth grade because they're recruiting the best kids out of fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth grade to get on your team, especially basketball, because it's all the team is already set when we walk on as a freshman because there's tryouts, but they au the team already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the coach already knows you.
Speaker 1: There's a system in place before you go to the ninth grade.
Speaker 4: So there's relationships there where, text messages with parents and cell phones. I think it's I think it tries to just like any policy, it tries to have a good intention, but it'll end up hurting the majority of kids. And it's relationships with their coaches and parents with the coaches, And.
Speaker 1: It goes back to where we started here during the conversation. There's a few bad apples, and again there's been way more than a few. I don't want to act like it's just limited and that we shouldn't they shouldn't be taking this action because way more don't cross that line, but enough have to where I think those who don't even think about the athletics component here they just say, well, yeah, it makes sense. Why would a teacher need to be texting a fifteen year old on his on his cell phone? Well, again, there are there's there's Again, I think there's If it's not something that was part of your experience throughout your days in school, you may not you may may not realize it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and uh, this is a shocker to people.
Speaker 4: Uh, there are inappropriate conversations at practice and things that are said that are not politically correct, especially in sports like football, basketball, hockey.
Speaker 2: I mean there there's kind of them.
Speaker 4: It might be all of the girls basketball probably is an inappropriate conversations at practice and all that. Right, Well, let's say you take that conversation to a text. Somebody else reads it. Now it's like whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa why is he texting that? Well, it was a joke and somebody said something about somebody else, or you know again, sometimes legislation has a good, good intentions, but it then yeah, in the end, and in the end it hurts everybody.
Speaker 1: Yep, Tomorrow when we have some time, I have to fit what are you doing with Aaron Rodgers? Or you cannot like Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 4: No, as a Pittsburgh Steeler fans, and Sell was six years old and Lambert, you know, he threatened to kill a quarterback and Jack Lambert I had no teeth in the front. I said, Okay, I'm a pisperst Heeler fan.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 4: This is gonna be feast or famine. He's either gonna walk in and rock it out or he's gonna be a complete disaster.
Speaker 1: You're gonna cheer for him because you're a fan. I get all that, but man like, it'd be hard to cheer for that guy, even if my team's winning, because I can't stand him and his mysterious wife that he's now claiming he wants privacy.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna.
Speaker 1: Well, you clearly put it out. There's people he craves attention so badly, and his nonchalant just I have so much on it. He's just on a different level intellectually than us. It just irritates me. Yeah, all right, we're out of time. Tony Dwater coming up next.