Speaker 1: I'm now for Edmund O'Brien.
Speaker 2: As yours truly, Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 1: Edmund O'Briens towering in another adventure of America's fabulous freelance insurance investigator Johnny Dollar. At insurance Investigation, Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 3: Is only an expert at making out his expense account, He's an absolute genius.
Speaker 2: Expense account submitted by special Investigator Johnny Dollar to the Great Collidian Life Insurance Company, The following is an accounting of my expenditures during the investigation of the circumstances surrounding the murder of your policyholder, Loyal B. Martin. Or how to take a vacation in Fairfield County expense account adam one three dollars and twenty cents smileage from up Connecticut to the country, a state of the deceased. I drove up a long cement driveway towards a mausoleum tight manor house. There were rolling green lawns liberally sprinkled with statuary, and the thought occurred to me that if he had spent much of his life here, the late mister Martin was most fortunate. He feels right at home in a cemetery. Yes, my name is Dollar. I'm here to see missus Martin.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, missus Martin.
Speaker 5: I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you. The widow has gone shopping the day after the death of her husband. Something attractive in mourning clothes.
Speaker 2: I'm sure. Well, what time is she expected back?
Speaker 5: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: It shouldn't be long. Do you mind if I come in and wait?
Speaker 4: You'll forgive my asking, young man, But just what is your business here at Loyal Haven?
Speaker 2: I was sent here by an insurance company.
Speaker 6: Oh, why then you come in.
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 5: Right in here, I'm missus Tompkins keeping mister Dollar.
Speaker 4: I was with mister Martin for over thirty years.
Speaker 2: He was a wonderful man. The furniture also looks like it might have been with mister Martin for over thirty years. Victorian, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Pure loyal mister Martin, that is was an expert on the Victorian period.
Speaker 2: Please thank you, mister Dollar.
Speaker 5: I suppose you'll think it's him delicate in me at this time?
Speaker 4: That about Loyals Insurance, his policies.
Speaker 2: Did they Yes, miss Tompkins, they did. One of his policies leaves you a nice sizeable amount but before you start counting it, maybe you and I had better have a little understanding. Yeah, well, I'm not here to represent the payoff department. I'm here to investigate the murder. Oh well, I see, Yes, Before the company pays off, they want to make sure that among the beneficiaries, they don't pay off the murder, because they really don't have to do that. I didn't realize, and either do a lot of people. You know, it's the way quite a few good murders are wasted.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I suppose you're right.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what you're here for.
Speaker 4: I suppose you want to talk to the police. The tenant Marquet is in the library.
Speaker 2: That's where it happened. Oh, library, Well that might help. If I can't find any other answers, I can always try looking some up in a book. Which way do I go? Oh? The door just across the hall, thank you? And waterhole. The only thing missing was old Queen Victoria herself, even the musty odor clinging to the green bell that seem to have been passed down through the centuries. There was a brace of more eaten pheasants on the wall, and a bouquet of more eaten flowers on the glass on a marble top side table. The library was the same, but there were three things that looked out of place. He an old suit of armor, b a glass case filled with new, well polished sporting rifles and shotguns. And see a very gruff looking lieutenant of the police who wired me as I came in. And who are you? Oh?
Speaker 7: Here, here's my little breath saverer. Yeah, Johnny Dollar. They told me you'd be here. Well, I've told everybody else. I better tell you. Don't touch anything. They want to re fingerprint the whole room. Okay, okay, what'd your find, Lieutenant Nathan? But the cadaver with two bullet holes in his back? Haven't got a caliber report from ballistics yet?
Speaker 2: Have you an estimated time of departure?
Speaker 7: And the corner, says Martin Dianed after dinner last night.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, anything to go on?
Speaker 7: Yes, the usual faith, hope and suspicion. Wife too young and too pretty for an ugly old buck like Martin mister married him for his money. Then there's that housekeeper, Sarah Tompkins. Yeah, I met her on the way in, and she used to be the old man's intended From what I can find, out, probably jealous of the young wife.
Speaker 2: Then there's the brother Mary.
Speaker 7: He showed up a few weeks ago, broken brooding, probably in love with the young wife. And then there's Nick Bladdie, a private detective wired himself out as Martin's bodyguard.
Speaker 2: Bodyguard eh, no doubt, also in love with the young wife. Let be who's your choice?
Speaker 7: Except for the fact that there are only two bullets, I think they all did it.
Speaker 2: The nodes through which Lieutenant Mark would talk was a long one, and in more ways than one, a horn of plenty. For out of that had pought enough motives and suspects to furnish a dozen murders. I started through this cast of characters and found that all of them had been very little to say and didn't want to say it. The first I dug up was the bodyguard, my brother, investigator Nick Bollatti, as he returned from a horseback ride.
Speaker 7: I had to have you on the case, Dolla. The police have tied my hands. They told me to stay out of it, but to stick around.
Speaker 2: You got any ideas.
Speaker 7: Everybody seems to think it was an inside job, that somebody in the household did it.
Speaker 2: I'm not so sure the reason I was around.
Speaker 7: Was because old man Martin made too many dollars and too many enemies doing it. But that's only my opinion. Why don't you talk to the old boy's younger brother, Marty.
Speaker 2: I found Marty living the life of Riley. He was upstairs in his room, cuddled up to a twenty year old bottle of brandy, which was still under age to be around. The kind of book he was reading.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll tell you something, Doller. My brother and I I never did get along. You'd find that out anyway. Why'd you come back here, Marty? Because Loyal's little bride, Joanne sent for me. She was afraid of him and she didn't know if he was on to her. Was he about that? You'll have to talk to joy Anne.
Speaker 2: Joyanne didn't get home until three o'clock in the afternoon. I caught up with her twenty minutes later as she came dripping out of the swimming pool. The suit she was wearing would have gotten her pinched on the river.
Speaker 6: Er. Oh, that was refreshing.
Speaker 2: It certainly is talked me that tall? Eh? Surely here missus Martin joy Anne? I hate for malady. Who are you? I'm from the insurance company here to find out whether you killed your husband or not. Oh good for you, mister Dolla.
Speaker 6: That's what I like.
Speaker 2: Men who get right down to the point. I was told you were here. Oh nobody told me about you. Come on over and learn.
Speaker 3: I want to stretch out here in the sun.
Speaker 2: Here you man, the flieswater?
Speaker 6: Okay, close here beside me, it gets too warm. Slip off his shirt.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Well, I suppose we start talking business. Marty tells me you sent for him to come here because you were afraid of your husband. I'll come well.
Speaker 6: I knew Marty before I knew Loyal. As a matter of fact, he's the one who introduced me to what do you call a dead husband?
Speaker 2: You call him unlucky? I guess anyway, for the purposes of this conversation, I'll know who you mean if you just say husband. But you didn't answer my question. I meant, were you afraid of your spouse? And if so, why, Yes, I was afraid of him.
Speaker 6: I might as well tell him, mister dollar, I want to be frank with you. The only thing Loyal didn't have to offer me was love. I seem to be a girl who needs just that. Frankly, I tried to make up the deficit. Missus Tompkins, the housekeeper, saw to it that my husband found out about it. From then on it would like living with a madman. So end my confession, So beginne with my suspicions. What about this housekeeper till I came along, she always thought that Loyal would wind up marrying her.
Speaker 2: No, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 6: I realized that I'm still the best jury data round.
Speaker 2: If you kill him, you might make some headway with a self defense plea thanks. I remember that.
Speaker 6: In the meantime, just in case this thing gets messy for me and it shows signs. I'm going to spend what's left of my free time enjoying myself.
Speaker 2: Well, that won't sound good to a jury, but it sounds good to me. I haven't spend too much time around here. I might wind up having to plead self defense myself. Ah from me, No, I'm not bathing s. I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to keep two eyes on four people reading from left to right. Brother Marty stayed in his room, finishing his book, and his brandy Nick Bollati, the bodyguard with nobody the god got back on his horse and canned it off into the sunset. The joyous widow joy Anne locked herself in her room, and all I could get through the keyhole was the sound of a light and lovely snort. I couldn't tell whether it was the genuine article or not. Having no way of checking, I picked up the trail of Sarah Tompkins, the housekeeper. She at least was apparently up to no good. I found her in the library doing just what Lieutenant Mark would have told her not to do, smearing the surfaces of mister Martin's desk with a dust rag. And as anybody knows, you can't fingerprint a dust rag. Hey, cut it.
Speaker 5: Out, mister Martin's private study.
Speaker 2: Those are the police private fingerprints. You're messing up.
Speaker 4: I was doing nothing of the sort from ducking his desk. I always do it at this time of day. Get out of here, you don't belong in here.
Speaker 2: Keep your wig on, miss Hampkins.
Speaker 5: I'll not be.
Speaker 4: Told what to do by outsiders. Everything was all right until outsiders started coming in. If it wasn't for outsider's loyal it's still be alive. First tet Girl, then his brother, and that detective not the police.
Speaker 2: And you Why did any of you have to come here?
Speaker 5: Why couldn't you leave us alone?
Speaker 2: I'll calm down, missus Tompkins. Trying to calm down, And now what's going on in here? One? Oh? And what do you too, love birds up to? It's all right, lieutenant. I'll tell you about it.
Speaker 7: Later, all right, But get her out of here. I've got him looking to do privately. Take it down to her room and ain't come back.
Speaker 2: You mean you got something hot? It ain't cold, okay, Missus Tompkins. Come on, but I.
Speaker 4: Haven't finished in there.
Speaker 2: Come on, you can get it later. It's just time for you to take a little rest before dinner.
Speaker 5: But I never rested time of day.
Speaker 4: He didn't like me too.
Speaker 2: Missus Tompkins. Come on, tell me really, why were you wiping off that desk? Those police this morning?
Speaker 4: Scattered white powder all over his desk. He would have been furious with me. He hated any coming.
Speaker 2: The shots had come from the library, and that's where I went, but not fast enough. By the time I got there, Lieutenant Mackwood was dead, and whoever had done the shooting was gone, apparently through an open window. Mockwood still clutched the shotgun he'd grabbed out of the gun case but hadn't had a chance to use. Two things had just died in that room, the Lieutenant and a hot piece of evidence he'd never had the chance to pass on to me.
Speaker 1: In just a moment, we returned to the second act of Johnny Dollar. But first, the cream of the wit and the best of the music which Arthur Godfrey brings you in the daytime on CBS, can now be heard on Godfrey's Digest, a new Saturday evening show heard on most of these same CBS stations. Listen tomorrow night and here the weeks fastest flashes of the Godfrey Humor, the top song sung by Jeanette Davis and Bill Lawrence, the finest singing of the Mariners. Arthur Godfrey's Digest and the Goldbergs are the latest addition to CBS's great Saturday Nights. Now with our star Edmund O'Brien, we returned to the second act of Yours truly Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 2: Hey, oh Mark, what, Yeah, he's dead? Oh what are you doing? Sala? I'm looking for what there seems to be a shortage of around here. Blatti clues you don't mind where you look? Do you?
Speaker 7: Rule number one? Don't get caught frisking dem cops.
Speaker 2: Forget about it, Billotti, will you maybe I can suffer from laps of memory for you. Sometimes that's a deal. Got any idea what you're looking for? No, but whatever it was, it was important enough to get him killed. I'd hope maybe there'd be something in his notebook, for instance, I mean lot, oh, very little. It's a brand new book, only one notation in it. Check totooing diameter, recheck penetration.
Speaker 7: What do you make of that? It's too scientific for me. I'm a skip case and divorce type detected myself. All I know is you'd better put that book back in his pocket and leave it then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you're right. Nice timing, BELDI, and remember, thanks for the loss of memory.
Speaker 7: Get it.
Speaker 2: What happened? What's going on?
Speaker 6: Lieutenant?
Speaker 2: Who did it? Dealer's choice? So far? The dealer is the only one who knows.
Speaker 7: First My brother, Now, Lieutenant Markwood, there'll be real trouble.
Speaker 2: About this, Johnny.
Speaker 6: Shall I call it? Police?
Speaker 2: Drop the innocent access to them? I'll call it. No. Maybe I better do it, Maddy. If everybody will stop pleading not guilty by wanting to call the police. I'd like to get a word in the police have already been called. If you'll get out of here, I'd like to try earning my salary. If I had had longer ears and more soulful eyes, I would have been all bloodhound, because I could sniff out the first of the trail, the smell of court. I told me that Lieutenant Mark woulds killer and either ben inside the room when he fired or just outside with the weapon pointed through the still open window. Outside, the grass formed a deep wet rug right up to the house and smothered any immediate hopes i'd had of finding footsteps. But ten feet away I had better luck. A ray of light from inside spotlighted something that up like it might be a star witness. It was a thirty two caliber avowve. I scooped it up with my handkerchief and went back through the open window to look it over under the light. I checked six empty chambers and a crimson smear on the walnut grip. And somebody was feeding me a herring. At shoe was red, but it was in blood. It was lipstick. I'd like to introduce myself. Dollar, I'm Sergeant Norn McDougall. Oh your sergeant.
Speaker 7: Ah, poor Markwood, Thank the Lord. He didn't have any wife and kids.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to hear that cops usually do. This's one good thing about it.
Speaker 7: When the police officer goes, there's plenty of 'em that lives on the fight back.
Speaker 2: All the police in the world. You can throw in the private ones too, Sergeant, Thanks Dollar, ma'am. Maybe a better take your statement. Well, it won't take long. I heard the shots from the hallway and I came back. He was killed either from inside the room or just outside the window. I didn't get a look at the killer, but I found what might be the murder gun. Here it is. I've watched that handkerchief M thirty two caliber. How does that match up with a gun that killed old man MARKM? Do you know same caliber? H? I wonder what he was doing with his shotgun?
Speaker 7: Ain't load and Mark would knew better than the wave a unloaded gun in the face of a full one.
Speaker 2: Did you get anything else out of ballistic, Sergeant headache?
Speaker 7: Dollar, what we got from ballistics, don't add it with what we got from autopsy.
Speaker 2: Well, how's that those two slugs.
Speaker 7: Entered Martin's body a ninch and a half apart, but according to the shallow penetration, they were fired from a distance of three hundred yards. Do you know anybody could do that kind of shooting with a thirty two?
Speaker 2: That's pretty fancy shooting. Could it have been done with a stationary mount a matter chance?
Speaker 7: The body would have started falling after the first shot, and you can't reaim a stationary mount that fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're right. You know, I didn't have a chance to spend much time with Mark would before he got it, so I don't have much to work on it. You got anything to spare, Just a lot of routine confusion so far. You know yourself.
Speaker 7: Dollar, you take four witnesses, you're bound to get at least two different stories. Two of the people that heard the shooting when Martin got killed last night, so they heard two shots. The other two say they heard one, the only thing. The whole four agree honestly they didn't see anything.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds familiar, Thanks anyway, sergeant.
Speaker 7: Sure anytime, Hey, Sam, take this gun into town. Tell ballistics to run it through for fingerprints and check it against those slugs.
Speaker 2: The Martin case. I want to report right away. I hitched the ride with that gun into the ballistics department while waiting for the test to be made, I asked some questions, and I came up with a real brain buster. Despite the fact that the penetration report said that Martin had been shot from a distance of three hundred yards, his skin and clothing had been tattooed with powder, indicating the shots had been fired at close range. The tree that little puzzler put me up would have made the giant redwood forest look like a hedge. Then they gave me the ballistic report. The lands and grooves scored into the slugs by the revolver barrow proved that both Loyal Martin and Lieutenant Markwood had been killed by the thirty two caliber gun i'd picked up in the eye. No prints on it. Registered owner, a young lady who looked much better in a bathing suit than she'd ever look in the electric chair. The widow Joy Anne Martin. Who is it the heart for the Horseshow dollar? I want to talk to you.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'll be with you in a second.
Speaker 2: I'm okay. First she was in the pool. Now it's the shower. He's also in plenty of hot water.
Speaker 6: Hi, don't pay any attention to my hair.
Speaker 2: H don't worry, I won't.
Speaker 6: I suppose you think it's a silly time of night for me to be taking a shower. I thought it might help me to get to sleep.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm afraid I won't.
Speaker 6: Hi, Johnny, you were.
Speaker 2: You were pretty careless with that gun, weren't you. Hot gun? Oh that handy little thirty two caliber gun with a handy little registration number engraved on it, that told the nasty old police that you bought it six weeks ago.
Speaker 6: Huh, My gun's right here in the drawer. I bought it to protect myself from my husband.
Speaker 2: Here, Johnny, Johnny, it's gone. It's real gone. It's done gone and killed two men so far. And if you can't do some fast talking and some fast proving, it stands a good chance of shortening your pretty little life expectancy.
Speaker 6: Somebody must have stored it.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's not even a down payment on the store.
Speaker 6: But Johnny, there's a whole house full of people who could have done it. Not only that, they'd they'd be glad to get me out of the way if they could Why well, missus Thompskin because she hates me Royle's brother Marty, because I stand to inherit everything.
Speaker 2: What about Nick Bollotti? Doesn't he have an extra grind? I don't know what he could? Okay, skip it. Tell me you remember hearing two shots being fired around here anytime before your husband was killed, probably away from the house, because I wanna know? Did you? Hm? You amaze me?
Speaker 6: Yes, I did hear two shots the day before Lawyer was killed. I was horseback riding down by the Walnut Grove. I remember because my horse shoed.
Speaker 2: Well, this is coming a bit too readily to be readily believed. But how big is that Walnut Grove?
Speaker 6: Not very big?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Can you spot those shots?
Speaker 7: Ah?
Speaker 2: A little closer?
Speaker 6: They sounded as if they came from about the middle. Why I didn't stay to find out it? I guess I frightened easily.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you frightened me easily.
Speaker 6: Why Johnny?
Speaker 2: Why? I'll tell you why? Because whether you shot anybody or not, your murdered baby, I didn't kill.
Speaker 6: Got to believe in Johnny.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, I don't have to, But just for a minute, will What is there about police drivers? Even out in the country. They got to lay on those sirens. Come on, you better get dress, sweetheart. I told them, I keep you occupied till I got here. The police of Joyanne and hurt feelings off of poking. I took myself and my hurt cheek off the bed. The next thing I had to do had to be done by daylight. So I took all the Joyanne's painfully empty and prettily perfumed sack, set the alarm for dawn, snorte up a storm. I never knew before how much went on in the country so early in the morning, on the way to the Warmut grove, the damp are washed the cobwebs out of my head, and I started thinking now. First, loyal Martin had been found dead with two bullet holes in him, yet two of the witnesses, Joyanne and the housekeeper, Missus Tompkins, had heard only one shot. Second, that powder burnt tattooing on the body denoting a close range killing was in violent argument with a bullet penetration report which screamed long range killing. Those facts, added to what was in Lieutenant Markwood's notebook, plus that shotgun clutched in his dead hand came close to telling up the total that had cost him his life. Inside the grove, I found four walnut trees with hollows in their trunks. The first one gave me a handful of nuts and the fancy sassing by an irate squirrel. The second one came up with a handful of spunk water on a wet cuff, and the third I found what I was looking for. I found about two pecks of clean cotton waste, that is clean except for some pouder burns. Everything was falling into place, including a blunt instrument which hit me on the head from behind. But before I hit the ground, I saw a brother, Mardy Martin, legging it back towards the house. I made it up the house and into up the hill and mounted the trail, and it was just darting up the stairs when I heard another out of season fourth of July. Yeah, yeah, so I see it was up defense. I had to do it.
Speaker 7: I hated to butt in on your case, but all of a sudden everything stacked up and I knew he was your man. When I throw it in his teeth, he made a driver his guns, so I dropped him.
Speaker 2: He sure did Beladi. Well, I owe you a lot thanks, but if you don't mind, I'll take over from here. Sure, help yourself good, And I think the first thing you'd better do is hi tailor into town, get your story filed with the police. I guess you're right.
Speaker 7: You're a straight now, so you can back me up one hundred.
Speaker 2: Percent, Nick, All the way I'll get going. Come on, okay, don see you let it? Can you? Sgian Norm McDougall, Yes, sir, side to mcdogo, Johnny Dollars, Sergeant, Well, just another corpse and in just about fifteen minutes, the guy who made it one and conspired on the other two killings is going to walk right into your arms through the station house door. What who is it? Nick Bollatti, New York private license. He just shot his partner in this thing, Marty Martin, We are crazy. What about this girl? What's her gun? That was their fondest hope, Sergeant depended on her. They borrowed her gun, fired two slugs from it into some cotton waste, then took the slugs and sucked them in a shotgun shell. One shot, just like both ladies said they heard the shotgun. Lieutenant Markwood was looking at when he died. Was really the Mottin murder weapon.
Speaker 7: Oh that takes care of the powder burns and the shellow penetration. Yeah, well, thanks a lot dollar. I'll be waiting for him. Wait a minute, what's he walking in here for? Under his own flower?
Speaker 2: To tell you an early morning bedtime story just before you go off duty. He'll give you a pitch about a self defense killing. It's a lie. The victim wasn't carrying a gun. If he had been, he would have used him me, But he didn't. He used the SAP. The SAP expense account items two, two, four, five, six, seven, eight, and nine six hundred and twenty four dollars entertainment appeasing a rich widow with a rich taste Expense account Items one through thirteen inclusive one hundred and sixty dollars entertainment of poor insurance investigators with extravagant taste. Expense account Item fourteen seven dollars and eighty cents Smileage, New York to Hartford. You may disagree with that item, claiming that I finished the case in Fairfield County, but I didn't finish the case until I left him and New York City is where I left her expense account total eight hundred and twenty three dollars signed. Yours Truly Johnny Dallas.
Speaker 1: Yours Truly Johnny Dollars stars Edmund O'Brien in the title role and it's written by Paul Dudley and gildowd with music composed and conducted by Leith Stephen. Edmund O'Brien can currently be seen starring the Harry M. Popkin United Artist Production d o A. Featured in our cast were Irene ted Row, Walter Burke, Ted Decrcia, John Dayner, Gene Bates, and Ed Begley. Yours Truly Johnny Dollar is produced and directed by Jimi del Bai.
Speaker 2: Join us again next.
Speaker 1: Week when Edmund O'Brien returns in another adventure of Yours Truly Johnny Dalla.
Speaker 9: Ladies and Gentlemen, CBS invites you to hear Senator Brian McMahon on the Capitol Cloak Room over most of these same Columbia stations tomorrow night. Senator McMahon as chairman of the Joint Congressional Committee on Atomic Energy and when he's interviewed by CBS newsman Eric Severid, Bill Schadell, and Griffing Bancroft. This will be the first detailed discussion of the hydrogen bomb and its implications. Remember the first discussion by a high government official since President Truman's historic announcement earlier this week. Remember that CBS is Capitol Cloakroom tomorrow night at ten thirty pm over most of the same CBS station.
Speaker 2: Be sure and be listening.
Speaker 9: This is CBS where, incidentally, Arthur Godfrey's Digestive with Humor is also heard every Saturday night. The Columbia Broadcasting System