Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Later with Mo Kelly.
Speaker 2: Let's go Beyond the box Score with Jackie Ray, Jackie Ray good even, let's jump right into this. I reached out to you over the weekend because I saw a rumor which popped up on social media, and it was that Dawn Staley, who is presently the coach of the three time in Citua champion South Carolina Gamecocks women and also a member of the Nasmith Basketball Hall of Fame, also a member of the FOEBA Basketball Hall of Fame, three time Olympic gold medalist player, also Olympic gold medalist, coach of the twenty twenty Olympics.
Speaker 3: Down Staley, just for contest?
Speaker 5: Come on now.
Speaker 2: She has been contacted by the New York Knicks. I can't say whether she's the front Raider runner, but it has been confirmed that there is an actual conversation and if it were to proceed, she could be and would be the first female head coach of an NBA team. What did you think about it when we first started seeing this information.
Speaker 4: When I first started seeing it, I definitely believed it was true. Just because of her caliber, who she is, the way that she can motivate both men and women. We've seen that her resume in that area is flawless. But I automatically said it's a no go for her. And the reason why I said that is because she really has a passion for shaping young women for the next level of their career and life. So it's not just shaping them for the WNBA.
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 4: Obviously, she's shaping champions. I mean every time somebody wins a champion in the WNBA, don Staley's right there, you know, look at my protege, so I think, but it's more than that for her. For her, it really is preparing young women for the next level, even if that doesn't mean basketball, and.
Speaker 5: That's a true passion for her. It warms her heart.
Speaker 4: You can see it on her face every time she talks about one of the students that came through her program.
Speaker 5: So I just don't know.
Speaker 4: Now, Look, Money talks to Boloney walks though, right, I don't know what we're talking about financially.
Speaker 2: Let me give you some context. Give it her resume, which I read off intentionally. JJ Reddick, who is in the number two market rookie coach no experience Lakers gets eight million a year. Presently, Don Staley gets four million a year as coach of the game Cocks.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if.
Speaker 5: It's to make more than JJ she should.
Speaker 3: But you know, don't want to get ahead of ourselves.
Speaker 2: But she would stand and make at least probably double what she's making right now. And maybe after a certain point, could she conceivably have a conversation with herself and say, you know.
Speaker 3: What I've done all I can do on this level.
Speaker 2: We talk about it with men all the time, who like a coach Skrzyzewski or someone who's done so much in college ball, there may be that pull to go to the next level.
Speaker 4: That's a little different though, because when you're talking about NC double A men's sports, where there it's basketball or football. NC DOUBLEA men's sports have long stay alumni fan base, so that is solidified. So if you succeed there, you definitely should be able to succeed at the next level. Right now, NCAA women's game is feeding the WNBA, so she still has work to do to help build the WNBA. If she wants to look at it now, look at it like that. But on the flip side, she might say, you know, there has to be a first at some point. It is it is not unusual for men to coach in the WNBA, which is right, which is very very odd to me that we have more men than women right now.
Speaker 5: But it's fine.
Speaker 4: But at some point somebody has to be the one that cracks that glass ceiling.
Speaker 5: So why not be the best to ever do it?
Speaker 2: And we know that there have been female coaches in the NBA, like Becky Hammond, right, but never a head coach. I thought it was going to be Becky Hammon too, but she decided to go to the WNBA after coaching as an assistant under Great Popovich.
Speaker 5: Right, but respectfully, and I love Becky.
Speaker 4: Her contract is a problem because for her to make exponentially more than every single play, you know, the highest salary for players, what two hundred fifty thousand dollars if you're lucky, if you're lucky, and you know, for her to be making millions and the players and the w still don't have revenue sharing and things of that nature. There's not extra roster spots, so they're not having to kill themselves playing this game. So while I appreciate it, Becky saying no, I want to play. I want to coach in the W Like, don't play us, you know what I mean, Like you're still getting If you really wanted to impact the league in that way, it would have been a more yes, I'm gonna do this, but you know, you would have to address that elephant in the room. So for don Staley, if she is going to go somewhere, I do think she'll go to the NBA because I think with her understanding and her players talk to her, they confide in her.
Speaker 5: She's like a godmom to a lot of them.
Speaker 4: I don't think she would take a million dollar whatever salary, even if it was. She makes four million right now, so if she made five or six million in the W I don't think she would take it because I think it would be a conviction for her. So if she is going to leave, it would be to the NBA.
Speaker 2: And I'm also hearing that the Knicks are speaking to They've had two interviews from what I understand and read with former Lakers coach Mike Brown former Cavaliers Mike Brown, I would not if I I don't because I don't think he's a talking about Don Staley, I don't think he's a leader of men. I don't know if people I agree with that for him. I think they would play for Don Steely. I really do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree with that because the way that she's able to speak, she has this uncanny ability, like I've seen her talk to to a multitude of different players. She has an uncanny ability to just meet you where you are, wherever, whatever that might be. Where you are is going to be different than where I am. And she's really good at that. And I think that the question that's always going to come up when you're talking about a woman coaching the men's game is can they respect her?
Speaker 3: That's why I read off that resume.
Speaker 5: Exactly, if you don't respect her, then.
Speaker 4: You don't respect the game, because she has set her name in stone in this game.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there I don't know if there's anybody I'm being serious who has that resime right, Feeble Hall of Fame, Nasmith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, three gold medals as a player, gold medal as a coach.
Speaker 4: I don't know, right, And then you have to talk about the intangibles. One of the things that comes in women's sports a lot more often than comes in men's sports. Is we have the social challenges with the set. In social media, we battle the transgender conversation, and she has handled all of those with grace and style. So if they come up in the NBA, she can definitely lead them in a way that they wouldn't be led by anyone else. And she fits in New York specific man, listen New York with love. She wouldn't pay nary a bill. Ever, she'd be walking down the street. Can you get in my car?
Speaker 2: Let me put it in another way for those who don't know Don Staley, she's already a living legend. She is and have a living legend in the number one media market in a legendary city with a legendary franchise. It fits in so many ways. But to your point, I don't know she wants that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know if she wants.
Speaker 4: And when you talk about the Knicks specifically, because you know it was this is supposed to be the next year supposed to be and it wasn't, and then if she comes in do they blame her? Well, the bar is going to be set high regardless, right right, I mean if she if she makes the move. I don't think she'll make it, But if she makes the move, listen, I'm going to New York for the first game.
Speaker 3: It would be one of the biggest things in the history of sports.
Speaker 5: I would be there front row.
Speaker 2: When we come back. We have to talk about something which should surprise nobody. There's another NBA player. Let me just say, a professional sports figure who might be in trouble for gambling.
Speaker 5: Oh shocker.
Speaker 3: Who could have seen that? Who could have predicted that? Jackie Raise, other than I know that's coming up next. If I am six forty life everywhere in my Heart radio.
Speaker 1: App, you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Six forty Later with mo Kelly. As we continue to go beyond the box Score with Jackie Ray and Jackie Ray. I can't speak for other talk shows, but I know that this particular talk show was on the story of sports and gambling and the inevitability of it long before probably anybody in the country. Yep, And we said that. We started obviously with the Otani controversy and his interpreter. I'm not trying to impugne anyone's integrity. Wait wait, but we said that this is one of many across sports, because it's everywhere now and we've been proven right along the way. Now we have the Detroit Pistons Malik Beasley reportedly being investigated by the FEDS allegations of gambling. A prominent US sports book noticed unusual betting activity on prop bets for Beesley. If you don't know, prop bet is like those weird promotional best off. We bet that Mark Beasley will Malik Bisley will get six rebounds this game, or who will play twenty five minutes so you get three points?
Speaker 4: As in PubL it's like we'll have a streaker right at halftime.
Speaker 3: That's a prop bet.
Speaker 2: And they noticed unusual betting on prop bets beginning in January of last year, twenty twenty four. And this is according to ESPN gambling reporter David Perdue. Beasley was playing his loan season with the Bucks at that point. He started seventy seven games, scoring eleven point three points and shooting forty one percent on threes. Here's the thing. If they noticed it back in January of twenty twenty four, it is likely to me that there was a pattern that they noticed beyond January twenty twenty four in building this case. Now, he hasn't been charged with anything, but he is known to be under investigation, and I think, yes, this is what his lawyer said.
Speaker 3: Quote, an investigation is not a charge.
Speaker 2: Malik is afforded the same right of the presumption of it since as anyone else under the US Constitution. As of now, he has not been charged with anything close quote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but for him to know.
Speaker 2: That he is under investigation usually and I just say this as someone who sat on a federal grand jury, so I know how the investigations go. As far as there's investigative and there's accusatory. Investigative ones go over the portion of weeks or months. Accusatory is just a one day thing when you have these investigative grand juries. And I have to believe it's at a grand jury point at this point, there present any evidence to the grand jury what they know?
Speaker 5: That says to me they got something.
Speaker 2: They already have him and they just haven't actually gone for the true bill the indictment.
Speaker 3: What would you what would you ascertain from this investigation so far?
Speaker 4: So I'm right there with you. You don't even mention this, This isn't even a talking point. If you don't, you haven't dited all the eye and cross all the tea's. They have what they need to have. If they wanted to drop an indictment today, they could could be other people involved. But you know, in my heart of hearts, and I've said this about this topic from day one, the relationship between professional sports and gambling is way too tight. It just you know, and trastics and yeah, like I'll go to what's the last game. Yeah, I've been to I want to say, an NBA game and seen FanDuel on the court or Draft Kings, you know what I mean. And so there's a relationship there so much so that I really just don't care because I think it's so hypocritical for you to say, we're gonna partner with we are you can't player, but us big establishment, we're gonna partner with this gambling thing over here. Not so much so that we're going to put their paraphernalia on our floor and we're gonna tell our fans you should gamble but not you player.
Speaker 2: Well, one step further, it also be able to use the names and likes the players.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I've seen that in the commercial. So for me, it's it's very very hypocritical because you can't how do you draw that line? You literally you're drawing a line in quicksand at this point, because you're saying do as I say, not do as I do. That doesn't work on kids. It's definitely not going to work on grown men.
Speaker 2: And I understand the distinction being made worth like the league making money is one thing. The players making money and then impugning the integrity of the game is something else.
Speaker 3: I get.
Speaker 2: And the argument is, well, you really can't have it both ways. If you don't want gambling in your sport, then you have to make sure it's not in your.
Speaker 4: Sport one percent, which means you sever this relationship because the only way that you can really come down on a player for gambling is if you don't take part in it. You can't say do as I say. Again, because it's very hypocritical. So now when you're telling and now there's endorsement deals, you know, with certain people, so you're literally telling the players, hey, we're bringing this this entity in so we can make money. You can make money. Let's build a partnership. I've been in partnerships that I've also supported that other partner, and that might mean purchasing something that they have distributed.
Speaker 5: That's just how it goes.
Speaker 2: It might be I don't know how the collective bargaining agreement reads. It may be something where you have, like you have a set aside or a carve out for merchandise or apparel which is sold. They get a piece of that, right, maybe they get a piece of the gambling as well. But it's too easy for a middle tier player to make money off these prop bets, because we've heard about this before. Where they don't have to throw a game or do something which is above the radar, but they can do something where, okay, the over underar is three points for me tonight, so let me just make sure I get hurt or I have to sit out the second half.
Speaker 4: Right, They could do something like that, or they could just make it. If it's if this is a person who doesn't typically shoot threes, let me just shoot if the percentages, so and so will shoot and make blah blah blah threes, whether I make it or not, nobody really afects me to shoot threes if I'm not a good three point shooter. So if I suddenly start shooting threes and I catch on fire when I've made this bet, that's a win win. That's one of those things where you can kind of get away with People are gonna be like, oh my gosh, Yeah, it's such an amazing night. No, they were gambling, but it's just too thin of a line.
Speaker 3: JB.
Speaker 2: Martinez in the chat says, the players already make millions, way more than the average fan will ever make. Might as well let the fans have some fun gambling.
Speaker 3: How would you respond?
Speaker 4: I think money creps absolutely, and I think once you get a taste of money and you can figure out a way to get money easily. To say that, oh, they shouldn't do that because they make so much money. I have never met a person who makes so much money and didn't want more.
Speaker 3: Well, there are two things. I think they are two parts of this.
Speaker 2: He's saying that the average fan will won't make the type of NBA money that the players make, so let the fans have some fun. I say, when when you introduce gambling into the sport, and there are too many ways that players can excuse me, fans can reach players can reach time about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, who can reach members?
Speaker 2: Of the organization and get inside information or somehow create a cooperative agreement. All I'm saying is this is another example of the story can only in one way. Yeah, with the scandal, which is going to impact the integrity or the perception of the sport forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and to your point, you know, never think that a player is untouchable. I cover the WNBA next season. I'm going to cover the Clippers as well. If I have rapport with a player and you say, hey, Jackie, do you think you can you know, nudge nudge, hint, hint, winky winky.
Speaker 5: Everyone's accessible. This is, you know, just a thing or not.
Speaker 2: Was a beat writer for the Clippers. You may just be in the locker room know some insider information. It's oh, by the way, yeah he's not playing tonight.
Speaker 4: Or they might see Sometimes they don't tell you. They might limit a player's minutes, and they don't tell you that because they don't want the They're like, this is an injury that we don't really know what it is.
Speaker 5: We might have to limit there.
Speaker 2: But I've learned some things just by being in the locker room before and after that game.
Speaker 4: They don't let us in the locker room anymore. They don't know, no, at least not in the W. We used to go in the locker room in the W they don't ever since COVID, they don't let us in the locker room anymore.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 5: So I don't know if it's like that in the NBA, but they don't.
Speaker 2: It probably is because they don't want to be responsible for you getting.
Speaker 4: Somewhere right right, So, because that's that was the best ear hustling place on the planet.
Speaker 2: You hear some stuff that, you see some stuff. This is very valuable in this daid age. But I think it's just a matter of time until we have another major gambling controversy in a major sport.
Speaker 4: But I think, to say face the best way to really be able to bring the hammer down morally on a player, you have to sever these ties with the gambling institutions.
Speaker 5: Will what happens that.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, that's not gonna happen. It's much money involved now, but it should it's later. With mo Kelly always good to see you, great to see you too, well. I see you Friday Chateau la moment.
Speaker 4: I shall be that I will not be making any dishes though okay, well, will you be I will bring Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 2: We're live everywhere on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI Am sixty.
Speaker 2: Kelly six Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And before Jaguary could run out the studio, I said, Jackie, Jackie, do not leave. Do not leave, because we need your expertise on this Tender dating app, very popular dating app.
Speaker 3: I don't know person.
Speaker 2: I've never been on Tender and that's also something I need Jackuarray to help me with. Tender is testing a height filter. It's a new feature that allows people who pay for the app to filter potential matches based on height and short Men around the world are up in arms about this controversial new feature. Literally, okay, up, okay, jack you Ray, how tall are you?
Speaker 5: Five eleven? I would pay the money for this. I would pay.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not five eleven. Mark are you five eleven? I'm six even?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Stephen are you five eleven?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I am Okay, good answer. I don't know is that are you really you seem taller than five eleven? No?
Speaker 5: I think you are just not five eleven.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we see problem. We're gonna take this to the hallway. Were gonna tell you the best. We're taking it the hallway and then we can all line each other up. Okay, okay, look, I'm not five eleven. Let me just say that. And I'm getting shorter by the day because you get older, your spine gets compacted.
Speaker 3: You get older. You ever see like your grandparents and they're like three foot two. I'm on my way down. You're supposed to be taller in the morning, so measure your say that.
Speaker 1: A lot of things supposed to happen, and I'm just trying to squeeze out nextra half an inch or so.
Speaker 3: Go for the morning.
Speaker 5: There's a lot you can do it there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just yeah, I'm just gonna keep on moving forward.
Speaker 2: But Jackie, right, speaking of tender you use you've used tender before, right, yes, I have one time? How do you go about matching with someone? What is something that you're looking for.
Speaker 4: So specifically on tender or just dating apps in general, because I've only used tender like once, Okay, specifically in general, I'm looking for somebody who's checked off relationship. I am looking for some So I typically do skip over men who don't list their height, but I am looking for somebody at least at least five to ten. You don't have to be taller than me, but you have to be at least five to ten. Five nine is probably the shortest I would go.
Speaker 2: Would you say that that's a general rule for women in your height range?
Speaker 5: I think it is. Well, let me say this, Okay, now we're getting in the weeds of it.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's a typical thing for women in my height range and who have the professional drive that I have, because when you're constantly in a world where you're dominating, dominating, dominating, sometimes it's hard to turn that off.
Speaker 5: And visuals help you turn that off.
Speaker 4: If I if I walk in and I have to lean down and be like, hey, honey, I'm not turning it like that.
Speaker 3: You should have seen that on YouTube your childhood.
Speaker 5: How you dealing, buddy?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're six one six two in heels. Yes, what's the tallest you've dated? Six'?
Speaker 5: Eight that was.
Speaker 2: Fantastic evidently not you didn't end up with it, facts but like.
Speaker 4: The pictures and WHAT i saw in my head happening were, good and THAT'S i probably stayed in that situation a little longer THAN i should, have just because of how good we look.
Speaker 2: Together all, right let me get a little bit deeper in, this and we're talking about tender AND i think people are honest in what they want right lie about who they are.
Speaker 3: Exactly so when you're.
Speaker 2: Honest in what you, want if we were to generalize for, women what is it about? Heights is it about the visual aesthetic or is it about the feeling of?
Speaker 3: Protection what is?
Speaker 4: It it's, Both it's it's the visual. Aesthetic you, know when you're thinking about future, pictures you just want to be that statue esque. Couple you don't want to you don't WANT i dated a guy one time that was five, seven AND i couldn't do it BECAUSE i felt LIKE i was holding the hand of a child the whole. Time so just, MENTALLY i, Know i'm just being real sight to be, Real that's Why i'm SO i just couldn't mentally do it BECAUSE i, mean and then there were times when he'd be LIKE i think you should And i'd be, like, okay But i'm, Not and like there was there was just a level in me AND i could be a me. Thing and, AGAIN i think some of that was Because i'm so used to like being in a space WHERE i have to be to, Dominate and the only Time i'm able to turn that off is WHEN i do feel safe with. Somebody and part of me feeling safe with you is a man is feeling that you can protect. Me IF i feel LIKE i got to scoop you up and run out the, DOOR i don't think you can portag.
Speaker 2: ME i got to ask, you is the other woman in this? Conversation have you ever used TENDER.
Speaker 5: I have in? College, okay.
Speaker 3: You're honest in what you're looking. For what were you looking for.
Speaker 4: At that? TIME i was just looking for casual. RELATIONSHIPS i didn't really too much pay attention with, height BUT i did have a moment WHILE i WAS i don't want TO i don't want to say obsessed with short, dudes BUT i had a little thing for short.
Speaker 5: Dudes it does broaden your, horizons.
Speaker 3: All. Right let me just ask you, this no. Specifics the tallest.
Speaker 4: Man that you've dated maybe like six. Two how tall are? You i'm only five four? Girl some short to?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 4: THEN i mean, YOU i would, say probably LIKE i don't even know Because i'm five, too so you can't be too too, short like you could come up to my. Chin but that's about, it because if you're below five, too then you're representing the Lollipop.
Speaker 5: Guild but, yeah because dudes were very.
Speaker 2: Attractive chat chat is like all depressed, themselves but we're still going with short.
Speaker 3: King is?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Yes and shout out To Mark Island Music Randy, newman short. People that's a great. Song that's a great. Song it's fun in, fact.
Speaker 5: What people got?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 3: Yes pull that up if.
Speaker 2: You, Can Stefan, Yeah Randy. Newman it's actually the First Randy newman SONG i ever learned or even knew, about was earlier on in his.
Speaker 5: Career, yeah but love should.
Speaker 2: Transcend Tyler triplett says in a, Chat i'm six, five never had to.
Speaker 5: Worry hey, Boom he's, like, WHAT i don't even know what y'all talking?
Speaker 3: About?
Speaker 5: This For i'm.
Speaker 4: Good let's Ask, tyler, though if you met a W nba woman who was six, eight would you date?
Speaker 2: Her Tyler Britney grinder sixth, eight she's sixty, nine six, nine who's six a who's.
Speaker 5: Closest isn't Isn't britney six nine or is she six?
Speaker 2: Eight she's, yeah but she's got six six. Seven But britney's not looking for a.
Speaker 5: Dude she's definitely not.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: Big big lives on as a little fief well on a nasty little feet.
Speaker 4: Shot shot.
Speaker 2: Shot Can IF i am six, Forty we're getting ready to take it to the hallway and continue this discussion with a lot of people who are under six feet.
Speaker 5: A lot and one that claims to be five. Eleven were about to find.
Speaker 3: Out, okay IF i am six, forty well live everywhere to our heart radio.
Speaker 1: App you're listening To later With Moe kelly on demand from KF I am six forty