Speaker 1: Rob Ariano from Desconso Restaurant in Coasta Mesa and newly out here in Los Angeles on Wiltshire in the Miracle Mile area that's still considered the Miracle Mile area, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Rob Absolutely, Yeah, we're in the heart of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: I'm like going because it's right right there by the tar pits, and yeah, it's a beautiful location. Why don't you start off with that for a second. I know you've been on the show many times, one of our favorite guests, and I love the food there and the vibe. Obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be talking about it. But tell everybody about the you know, Coast to Mesa we've we've talked about many times, but Los Angeles is newer. Talk about the vibe and the experience for people to go out to the Los Angeles location.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, so as you know, I mean, we've been around in Coast to Mesa for six years with our initial property there and this location here on Wheelshair is really our flagship location and it's such a obviously great area, but it's nine thousand square feet. We've really taken you know, what We've developed and learned and done in Costa Mesa and really enhanced all of those main elements in our build out here. And we built a huge vaulted back bar in the middle of a thirty foot ceiling room. And we have planted grills where we cook at your table, you know, throughout the restaurant as well as standard dining. We have our taco bar where our takeato chefs are preparing all our tacos right there in the open room. You can see them make the fresh tortilla of them. The comal. It's an open kitchen. You know. We're all about creating a really sort of you know, a street style vibe with our you know, elevated service and environment all collectively bringing you discuss concept and I couldn't we have to bring on Wheelshir. It's such a just a great area. We're literally thrown's throw from the Brave tarpets. I could throw a rock and hit the tar from where we're at and.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, don't don't do that, man, Don't be throwing rocks at.
Speaker 2: The tar pet.
Speaker 1: Okay, absolutely, people know you're not throwing rocks.
Speaker 2: No, definitely, definitely not.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful location. It's brick on the outside. Uh it's you know, well appointed, but it's got a great vibe. And there's the sociability of hanging out at that plancha and having uh food cooked right in front of you, you know, girls night out, guys night out, family time, whatever, going out for great cocktails, all of those things. It screams at Desconso we're you know, stoked to have it here in La because one I'd have to go out to Coasta Mesa to enjoy it.
Speaker 3: And so this way it's close.
Speaker 1: It's actually a stone's throw a watch, I'm gonna throw a rocket, so it's close.
Speaker 3: But the reception has been great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been amazing. And again coming into this you know Los Angeles market and it's colinary singing obviously daunting, and we've loved the reception. And it's been such a beautiful opening since January. So we're only a couple of months in greasing the wheels, of course, but things are great.
Speaker 4: I will say really quick, sorry to interrupt. I walk there often because that's my area, and that's when me and my sister don't have plans, we go there. The bar is so beautiful, is such a vibe the service is a amazing the staff is so friendly, and their chicken nachos and espresso martini is literally to die for. So I'm so grateful that you opened it so close to my house because I needed a good place like that.
Speaker 3: It's amazing, Jam Jam. I'm there often.
Speaker 2: I lived there that much. I can tell I can. I can sense, you know, the the national enthusiasm and your response.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: That's that's what I like to hear.
Speaker 1: No, Kayla speaks truth and truth alone. Trust me, she won't.
Speaker 3: She will.
Speaker 1: She will say anything to you if she believes it to be true.
Speaker 3: She does not hold back.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: I don't want to.
Speaker 4: I don't like to, you know, do that too much because I'm not like oh.
Speaker 3: The producer of the forkal Port.
Speaker 4: Because the people try to do things. I just want to pay for it, enjoy my food, and joy the service and go.
Speaker 3: Say hi to them and say, I say that's the service.
Speaker 4: To the bartenders and the servers who are amazing.
Speaker 2: I won't take care of you. Just you know you can say hi, I won't give you anything for free.
Speaker 3: Do you know what's funny?
Speaker 1: Because I do the same thing, and I always feel like somebody like like someone's going to assume that I want something. So what I do is I say on my way out, yeah paid, and nobody's gonna mistake it for you know, me being bill handle and wanting something for free somewhere I'm gonna I'm going.
Speaker 2: To tell you guys something though, as an operator of restaurants, Uh, there are those people that do come in and they do you know they are. You can just tell that, you know that they they want to let you know that you're there, You know that you're there, and it's sort of setting you up, you know there. And don't get me wrong, you know, I have no problem taking care of my little guests. But that's not the issue. It's just funny. There are some people that come in and you can sense that sort of expectation, you know, by announcing their presence. But part of it, you know, and again that's what we do. We take care of people and all the way that they'd like to.
Speaker 1: It's like a woman going, listen, I know you just looked at my boobs. Don't pretend you're not. And it's like, don't pretend that you're saying hi when you want free food.
Speaker 2: I actually call them out sometimes it's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why when they talk about they're in an influencer, Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Know, I don't.
Speaker 1: I usually start with that I'm not expecting anything free. But I've even done this to you when there's people going in there a friend, I'd say, listen, don't want you to do anything except go say hi and tell them about the concepts, talk about you know, you know, because that's nice. I think that to make someone feel extra special is nice, but it doesn't mean you have to give them anything.
Speaker 2: And honestly being essentially, I'm all about hostility. So any chance I can, you know, make a connection quickly with somebody that knows, somebody that I know, or somebody I know that I can go and talk about the concepts and the food and make recommendations. You know, I'm all about it. I live for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like if anything, I'm more about Hey, can I see the kitchen?
Speaker 3: Can I say hi to the team on the line? Like that? To me, it's way better than a free drink or something.
Speaker 1: If you want the Planche experience at disconso here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: They also have a location in Coasta, Mesa, but.
Speaker 1: Here in the Miracle mile on Wilshire by the tar Pits Labre at Tarpits at five seven seven three Wilshire Boulevard. You might want to call and make reservations if you want to experience the planche experience, but it doesn't matter. All the tables are good tables and cute. Tell us, we've got Rob with us. Rob Ariano on the phone. He's been on the show many many times before. Tell us what's going on for this weekend and tomorrow, tomorrow and Monday for Sinco de Mayo and Desconzo.
Speaker 2: Well as you can imagine, as a restaurant owner, I love, especially a Mexican restaurant owner at obviously I love Synco Demayo. And uh, you know, not for just the fact that it's a reason, you know too, you know, for guests to go out and you know, just an excuse, you know, to go out and celebrate, but you know, it's an opportunity for us to really sort of shine and and uh, you know, s feats are really fun and cool elements with Mexican culture and cuisine, which we are doing all weekend. All weekend, we're running specials, We're doing sampler platters of some of our best dishes at both locations. We're offering pictures, which we don't normally do. You know, we're very crafted based cocktails and our and our Gotti spirits. But for the weekend, you know, we're having some fun pictures to really sort of emphasize, you know, bringing your group down and uh, you know, having a good time and spreading out to margaritas throughout the table with our pictures. We're doing happy hour all day on Monday at both locations from open to close, and so all of our happy hour specials, happy hour prices of course, and really sort of ending the weekend with a big bang, which will also include live music all day on Monday. Well, we have it kind of peppered throughout the weekend as well, and it's made it really festive and have a lot of fun with it.
Speaker 1: You've brought in, you know, many cocktails and margarita's over the years to me that are always fantastic. There's one that I know that you have that is a special, which is your cucumber and salt.
Speaker 3: Yes, talk to people about some.
Speaker 1: Of your margarita specials and the elevated cocktail style that you guys have so and I love.
Speaker 2: That you point out the cucumber and saul because this cocktail is just, I mean, it just it hits people all across the board. It's so popular. We get so many requests, uh, you know for something that we would never take off the menu. It's one of our signature margaritas. And and rightfully so it's it's just it's a beautiful cocktail. But the thing with our cocktail program is like our food, you know, everything's made from scratch. You know, it's made with you know, fresh fruit and you know juice, fresh fruit, sweetened with with a gave with you know, all natural gave sweetener. And you know, we also elevate our spirits. You know, we're not just you know, going after you know, price conscious spirits. You know, we you know, we really do seek after you know, because there are especially in the Sky region, but in the Tequila region. Although they do follow the similar formula, there's there's definitely different taste variations, especially when it comes to the aged uh and and and all that. So we you know, we really do take pride in sort of pinpointing the right spirit with the right juice, and and you know, you know, we like to add in little sort of kickers of liqueurs and you know, uh, you know slightly you know, added flavor punches to profiles and really have fun but not over complicated.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: That's that's a real big thing for us. You know, it's we want to make sure that you know the true marguerita flavor. The tequila comes piping through, you know, and then you know, hints with all the different flavors that we have on our cocktail program.
Speaker 1: You know what, Rob, can you hang on for one more segment because we're up against.
Speaker 3: News right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no problem, Yeah, stick around because not only do I want to get into some of the things you've got, the foods that you've got going for this weekend and through Monday for sync of Demisle, but also brunch. I want to talk about brunch as well, So stick around around. Rob Ariano is with us from Desconzo Restaurant here in the Miracle Mile in Los Ange, Angelus at five seven seven to three Woolshire Boulevard, And of course they have a location in Costa Mesa in Orange County as well that you need to check out if you haven't. Both great locations, but we're thrilled to have them now. Here in Los Angeles. And then of course you've got Sinco de Mayo weekend going on right now. So we've got our buddy rob Ariano from Desconzo Restaurant. They of course have a location there in Costa Mesa in Orange County for our OC peeps. And then they have a new location here in Los Angeles, right here in the Miracle Mile area and right next to Lebrea Tarpits. I mean, you can't miss that. I don't even need to give you an address. I just say it's right next door to the Lebrea tart Pits and go out there and enjoy yourself. So Rob, in addition to everything that's going on for Cinco de Mayo, you guys have brush there as well.
Speaker 2: Yes we do. We brunch one of my personal favorites, not only not only Mexican brunch, I mean, because it is that just beautiful excuse to have some fun comfort breakfast food and you know pilomon with with a mimosa or margarita. There's there's it's a conscious free sort of you know, eleven am drinking time and uh, you know, how can you not like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, come for the food, stay for getting crap faced.
Speaker 2: I love it well, you know, with the reason right, let's let's be saying exactly and we practice that too, you know, even you know we do bottomless mimosas, but it's you know, very important, you know, we have we have limitations in terms of, you know, ensuring our guests are not too skated, but you know, we like to keep people in the happy zone. So yeah, eleven to three Saturday and Sunday, both locations. We have great Mexican brunch dishes that we celebrate. Of course, we do a unique item which is in terms of a brunch offering, we cook our brunch on our plant of grill, So for our Plancha dining, you're getting it cooked at your table on a flat grill, with our planchero chefs turning up your tilikuilas right there in front of you. Level franchettos. We added a new dish which is a chocolate crape to our menu which has already been a big hit. And breakfast burrito and just a lot of fun menu items.
Speaker 1: The the Chuo pancakes come on now, deep fried pancakes dusted with cinnamon sugar and top with delcha de leche. Whipped cream, strawberries, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds. Shut your face.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a favorite. Yes, that's a So I'm obviously how can you not be a big fan of Turro's And I'm a huge fan, So combining them with a breakfast item pancakes was a no brainer to me. So you know, and our specialty is off the flat grill, so if we're gonna, I can get an excuse to beautiful sweet breakfast dish on the flat grill. There you go, Chero pancakes were born.
Speaker 1: So I have not been into the new location. How many planchas do you have?
Speaker 2: So we have four, just like we do in the venue is much bigger here in La than than Costa Mesa, so we do have four. But what's what's mainly different here in the plancha end that we don't have in Costa Mesa is we have our plancha pravada room. So technically we have five total on the floor. Our fifth one is in a private room and that is where we create an even more elevated dining experience, our Plancha Pravada, and then we go into above and beyond that in that room and what we call Ouranza experience, and that is our trust. Omakassi means trust, so meaning trust is our play on the Omakasei experience. And that's where our head chef comes in and prepares a beautiful, real detailed, dele kated seven course Mexican inspired neo right in front of you. It's beautiful. Wow.
Speaker 3: So how many people did you say? How many people for that room?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I did not, So we can fit up to ten in that room, so it's definitely an intimate experience.
Speaker 1: And about the other Plancha experiences, how many seat at.
Speaker 2: Those so they do see the same size, so they seat up to ten for a single party. They are communal regularly, so you do sit with other guests, and we only put eight when it's communal as we don't want to put strangers too close to each other. And then we have four tables in that room, so we've done parties of forty. That's the largest we can fit at one time in that room, you know, and have all four chefs cooking them at the same time.
Speaker 1: Wow, super super cool And just because we have you. And next weekend is going to be Mother's Day, and you think going special for Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah. Not only are we celebrating Mother's Day, but we of course are celebrating Mexican Mother's Day, which you know, if everyone knows, that always lands on the tenth. It's not the particular Sunday. It's always on the tenth, regardless of the day, and this year happens to be the day before on Saturday, so we're doing Saturday and Sunday. We have a special multi course brunch menu. Have a standard bunch or brunch menu items available, but of course we put together a nice fun brunch menu, multi course brunch special package for U for both locations. That's running a great deal.
Speaker 1: And for those that haven't experienced Mexican Mother's Day, it's just like you know, regular white people Mother's Day, except at the very end, all the kids get slapped with the chunkla love that.
Speaker 2: You know. It's so's funny you've said that because I my grandmother. I can't tell you how many times she came after me and my cousins with that chancola. You're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: That being a half breed my uh yeah, my dad, his parents were from Mexico. He was born here, and my mom's of you know, European stock, Scottish, Irish, English all that. Well, So she didn't use the chankola. She used the orange car strips from like the hot wheels. Oh yeah, oh my gosh. And they had that little purple tongue to attach them to each other, and that was on the end you get a little. So I'm sure she probably used a slipper every now and then, but not the same way.
Speaker 3: So but they came after us, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: We all do, and you know what we learned every lesson that was uh and you know that was ended with the chocolate. And my grandma actually had she had the skill. She could throw it and she could hit us from distance and oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've never you've never seen a true chanka thrower until you see one actually cock it like a pistol, and you're.
Speaker 3: Like, what the heck is that?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: All right, my friend?
Speaker 1: Always good to talk to you, rob Ariano with us our guest Disconso Restaurant La dot com.
Speaker 3: Desconso Restaurant, la dot com. Two locations.
Speaker 1: One they're in Costa Mesa in OC and then of course here in La they have it in the Miracle mile right by your Leabrea tarpit so you can't miss it there and uh all weekend into Monday, you've got single to my On next weekend you've got Mother's Day. Uh Planchet experience. If you have a family of eight or so or ten works out perfect there you can book a table all those things. Just get on it today. I highly recommend that two one three six seven two two four four four two one three six seven two two or for four to make reservations. Always good to talk to you, buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, appreciate you. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Fackwise Yeah yeah, Rob and I were talking about something we may do this summer. We'll keep you posted as we get closer. All right, my friend, happy single the mile. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 2: See you two meals by bye