Speaker 1: Hunts are back.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the sixteenth episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league, but who knows where will end up. My name is Lee Addison and my name is John Davidson. He survived the man flu. For those who are with us for after the Hooters on Friday, John just told us about his man flu ordeal and he's still here.
Speaker 1: He's still here.
Speaker 2: For those of you who are wondering who I am, I'm a coach in Australia. I'm the host of the Rugby League Coach podcast. I'm at Rugby League Coach dot Com AU Rugby League Coach on Socials. John a journo in.
Speaker 1: The UK.
Speaker 3: Right for the ipaper, League Express, The Guardian and have written for leag Quickly, for The twenty Magazine, The Times, the saan De Mirror, the Telegraph, everyone, everyone, whoever else, whoever whoever pays me and thank you to Rugby League dot Com who who also run this every week. We covered the first three games of the round in after the Hooter on Friday, So if you are wondering when we talk about the games this week that we have got in today's running order, and we don't mention those games.
Speaker 2: That's because I've already mentioned them. That is in an extended after the hooter that came out on Friday. Warrington Wolves top of the ladder ten points, but the others on ten points a lead Rhinos, Wigan Warriors at Wakefield, Trinity and Saint Helens. So quite congested there. But I've just read them out. In read those out in position order. Catalan Dragons are sixth on eight points. Whole kr have shot up the table now they're seventh on six points. Bradford Bulls are in eighth, still on six points or left c on six so congestion there too.
Speaker 1: To lose.
Speaker 2: Huddersfield, York Lee and Castle for Tigers round off the table in that order. Castle Ford at the bottom to lose in tenth and they're all on four points, so quite congested.
Speaker 1: John very congested.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's been a few comments about results this weekend, people like, oh, you know, just so so many points out of the top six. I mean we're in round seven, so you know, the tape was going to change a lot, but yeah, it is. It is quite congested. There's not I guess apart from maybe Warrington after Wiggans last two results. Has not been a staying out team, hasn't it. So everyone's been beating, everyone's had a loss, and it's not a massive form line, I would say at the moment, except for maybe a couple of times.
Speaker 2: John's tweet of the week at Johnny D Davidson, what's French for handbags? And that was on the fifth of April. Just for the record, John, it's soccer man, sacer man or soccer may You did that on the fifth You did that on the fifth of April. What was all that about?
Speaker 3: There was just there was a bit of handbags and the French Derby between cat Lens and to Loose and socer Man. Yeah, the typical the typical push and shove and whatever. I mean we called the French Derby and it is a French Derby. But probably two thirds of the players on the picture either in English or Australian. But no, it was good. It was a good in all pinis. It was a really good game that one. The cat Lens to Loose game, I mean to Loose had some well some very tough course. It seems like every call win against them, but it was a really entertaining game, and you know, I think that's we can talk about promotion relegation, but I think that's the benefit of having to loose, you know, permanently in the competition, is that you build that came up and you build French rugby League up over time.
Speaker 2: The Rugby League tweet of the week is from Sky Sports commentator Stuart Pike, who said, just wanted to say to the mowners and their constant moanings, Sky Sports Rugby League do a fantastic job. Sometimes things go wrong. That's telling for you. For thirty years, Sky has revolutions revolutionized the sport we love now seven get live games a week, proud to be part of it. And that leads us into one of the topics we're going to discuss today, which are the Sky and the issues with a few things. Dazz Eastwood wrote to us and wanted us to talk about this the post standard of commentary and coverage, he said. Polker Brothers said, the games on Skyplus when there are other sports such as football, cricket, tennis, golf or with their own channels, and they're also in either Sky Action or Main Event, while we are on Skyplus with headphones and five minute build up and annoying music between halves. I need to do better. So over to you, John, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think we talked.
Speaker 3: I thought we talked a fair bit about this on on Friday Nightly. But yeah, there's a huge difference between the main games that are on Sky. They get the full coverage, you know, you're half an hour pre game and you're half an hour postgame and whatever, and then those on the Plus system.
Speaker 1: And I did speak, I did hear from someone who worked the Sky over the.
Speaker 3: Weekend and they have been cutbacks that Sky and there's I believe a different production company handles those Plus games and it is a really different if you're in Australia and you don't watch Superligue.
Speaker 1: Really it's a real different level of coverage.
Speaker 3: As you just said there, you know it starts ten minutes before, there's no pre game halftime, it's just music. And over the weekend there was a lot of issues with the Breadford game, with the Catalans game, the picture would just drop out, the sign the sound would go, it wouldn't buffer. And at the end of the day, we can look at this at lots of different Anglesly, but if you're looking at purely from a fans point of view, as a consumer's point of a review.
Speaker 1: You pay, I think I pay something like one.
Speaker 3: Hundred and twenty quite a week, so once that two hundred and forty dollars, it's a lot of money. My primarily reason to have Sky and the same as I have watched NRL, the app is for rugby league.
Speaker 2: So you want to stay is one hundred and twenty quite a week? It's no, no, sorry, one hundred tweket Did I say a week?
Speaker 1: I met a month? A month?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And look, I know I watch other sports, but I don't watch as much other sports now as I used to. I don't watch nearly as much football as I used to. I wouldn't watch darts unless you paid me to watch that. So yeah, Sky has been a fantastic partner for Super League, for rugby league in UK for a long time. But at this point in time, I don't know if the value of having every game on TV is.
Speaker 1: What it could be or should be. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think there's a bit of debate about that because Sky clearly not able or willing to give full coverage to every game for what the rights are worth. What they're getting paid and I think you know, fans are are suffering because of that. And I like to say I think a lot of the BBC coverage of the Super League games isn't fantastic either.
Speaker 1: It's it's hidden on the red button. It's not necessarily the best.
Speaker 3: Their Challenge Cup, the Big Challenge Cup games with you know, Mark Chapman and the Ashes are fantastic, great, but I think BBC also does some of the games, shall we say, on the cheap as well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: The whole Sky thing, where in the past we used to be on main event or on several of the main channels. I think the Wigan Saints Davey was on the main event, but the other games are not, and we've slipped down the packing order at Sky massively, behind darts, behind you know, women's football, and that for me and you and the hardcore fans who are listening to this podcast probably doesn't matter that much. But if you're a casual fan, and I know a lot of casual sports fans and you might be like flicking around, You're not going to rather across a super big game, are you, And that's going to hurt the ratings.
Speaker 2: Look at the end of the day, it wouldn't be British rubiligue if we weren't complaining about the coverage. Somehow you can go back as far as Eddie Wearing for that to be an issue. Johnny's job would probably this would be Johnny's job normally, but I've made Lee's job instead of Lee's laugh of doing Lee's job this week. And I was on the punchbag yesterday, so I know how to throw a jab. I was driving home from the gym and Ben Dobbin and Brent Reid were on the radio and Triple M Golden Tallis was there too, And I'm bringing this up because I want you to tell me if you think this happens in England too, and you're a journalist. Dobbin was talking about Penrith and how good they're going, and then cut to an interview with Nathan Cleary who spoke at length for about two three minutes, which in radio is a long time. And then as it went back to the studio, I was expecting some kind of dissection of what Nathan Cleary had said, Dobbin literally, without even pausing, said everything Penry is doing Big Credit must go to one of the assistant coaches I forget who it was, and basically made it sound like everything was down to him. And then Brent Reid came in and said, yes, and the other assistant coach has been there quite a while.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Now Number one that was nothing to do with what Nathan Cleary did was discussing number two. Ivant clear he's the head coach. Number three. It was a very strange. There wasn't even a segue right, thirdly it's smacked off or secondly, sorry, it's smacked off. They were just trying to feather the nest of these assistant coaches. And I assume that it was because they have good agents who they trade information with. And this happened quite a lot of think on some of the shows, and some are not very good at hiding it.
Speaker 1: I think we deserve better.
Speaker 2: Because Cameron Serraldo got a lot of this treatment, and I'd question anybody who says Cameron Serraldo is able to coach attack based on what we've seen at the balls for at least the last year and a half now. And then what an insult to Ivan Cleary too and the players look and the players. Yeah, I think it was blatant, John, it was blatant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Lee, you worked in Roubay League a long time as there's a lot of agendas to play, particularly in the media, a lot of relationships that are quite obvious on air, Anny Ridge.
Speaker 1: The first part. I mean Ivan Cleary.
Speaker 3: I don't know how long he's been at Penrith now I'm in the second time, eight years, seven years, whatever it is, maybe longer they've gone through. He's gone through a lot of assistance, hasn't he Sralo Andrew Webster, There's been quite a few. I mean the concert has been Ivan Cleary. So at the end of the day, he's the head coach. I'm sure the assistants make valuable contributions, but he's the one who calls the shots, and you know he deserves the credit. Look, he's unbelievable coach and I think the I don't know who him at all, but I think Ivan's interesting in that I don't think he's particularly close to a lot of the media. He's not not that he's unfriendly to the media, but he's not a coach unlike some others. I'd probably say Shane Flannagan, who's got very close relationships with established media, of the established members of the Sydney Press.
Speaker 1: Your second bit one hundred percently.
Speaker 3: You know, there was a certain journalist who seems you're very close to Isaac Moses, who was pushing Blake Green for the manly job, you know, and you know he's said on air that he's got a close relationship with Isaac Moses.
Speaker 1: I think that happens all the time that it happens in the UK.
Speaker 3: In the UK, it's probably arguably worse because there's fewer agents and you can often, you know, usually tell by what's written and how it's framed and who gives what stories. And there's a recent example where you could say the person running a club are certain club was not named or criticized, but everyone knows. Fans, no, most fans are not stupid. They know who's to blame him. So yeah, you could say it's a poor reflection on the media when when the media isn't as impartial, as balanced as it should be.
Speaker 2: And I think you get criticized a fair bit because you try and go straight down the line as much as you can. Yes, well, you as a journalist, you you know. It's also your currency, isn't it. I mean it is our mutual friend. Chris explained when he was in the crime section of a newspaper for a while, he could really rip into the person who's done a murder or a robbery or whatever it may be, because they'll be in jail for the next ten years, Whereas if a top player in the NRL did rob somewhere or something, it'd have to go quite easy on it because he probably need that player in a few weeks while they're away to their court case or something like that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, one hundred percent, you do.
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you have to be careful. But in saying that, I.
Speaker 3: Think you you you're doing yourself a disservice if you're not as honest and upfront as you can be. Look, I think you try and be fair. It's never personal, and you know you you you know people. Some people will take a tart, some people will have a conversation. Some people understand the profession and what it is. And I'd say with several clubs like I'm not on their media lists anymore and they don't really facilitate any interview request and that's that's how it is like, for me, while that's disappointing, it's not going to stop me doing my job. It just sort of means that certain club isn't going to get specific coverage in about a player or whatever because they don't want to play that role.
Speaker 1: And that's that's fine, but you have to be honest. You have to be.
Speaker 3: Truthful because fancy through the bullshit I think I think a lot of fans do. And that sort of ties onto the recent Bradford Martin Vickers thing where the Bradford CEO is trying to paint my story as some sort of agenda against the Bulls when it's absolutely nonsense and the vast majority of Blood fans and I think the vast majority of rugby league fans can just see what a nonsense say is and even you know, give massive credit. I don't know Nathan, but Nathan Atfleck Atkinson, the Bradford Bulls reporter for the Bradford Paper, the Telegraph and artist wrote a penny piece about that, and you know he's a Bradford fan and you can see that appointment sticks.
Speaker 1: Anyone with half a brain can see it.
Speaker 3: There's no agenda against Bradford from me that's just a very questionable lodgy appointment, which is unneeded. The amount of players that I've had who either were ripped off by Featherstone or had to take Featherston to court over recently, and I won't name those players, but you know there's still people who are thousands of pounds from you know, a certain person's tenure at a certain clubs. So you know, you can try and fool people and spin things and you know, playing the media for agendas all you want, but.
Speaker 1: The reality is is there like the nose on your face.
Speaker 2: Andrew Abdol will be in the UK soon and I don't think he's going to.
Speaker 1: Over there.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's going over there to drink cost of coffee. I think he's got some plans to try and get the NRL and Super League working a bit close. So what do you know about that, John, and where's it at and what's going to be going on.
Speaker 3: I think he's after a Greg's pasty, that's what. Okay, He's not going to go around the back of the bags, is he.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: It's a really interesting story broken by Danny Widler in The Sun Herald on Sunday, which I followed up and yeah, he's going to be Andrew is going to be in London for two three days in about I think it's about afford maybe ten days now. He's going to be meeting with Nigel Wood and Rodger Jones, and I think they're seen as a really positive step towards a potential takeover investment merger. However you want to frame it for the NRL buying a stake of Super League, you know, there hasn't been a formal offer yet. There is still a bullsh back from certain owners, I think Matt Ellis and Amamnanus more recently in the media of pushback a little bit. But I think there's also a general acceptance from a majority of superhot clubs that yes, if they can provide the money, which I imagine would be probably you know, more than two million per club. But also I'm saying that I think there need to be money that goes down to grassroots, that goes down to the championship, certainly money that goes to the promotion and the marketing of the sport, because that's something we're lacking. So yeah, it's positive the NRL are going for and there's still a lot of people. Lee, I'm sure you know a lot of people, a lot of fans in the UK who are against the NRL coming in taking over.
Speaker 1: For life of me.
Speaker 3: I mean, I understand it does depend on what the deal, how the deal is structured, and what the figures are, but there's no one else in the world, you know, Okay, maybe the hearns, but even in terms of the world, like if you know, they say there's other offers from private equity, and they may well be, but private equity. He just wants to make money, don't They just want to wear a profit, can actually put money in and expand the game and grow the whole sport, like we're such a small sport globally. You know, if the NBA wanted to come into I don't even know what the league's calling him and buy the British Basketball League and twin it with the NBA and they have NBA games in London that have sold out, it'd be huge for the sport.
Speaker 1: Well the NFL, yeah, well the NFL do it, but.
Speaker 3: They don't really care about the local league here. But it would be great. And I saw one comment, I will just become super League, just become a feeder league for the NRL that's been happening for the last fifteen years.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: And it's also a retirement home for the NRL.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the delusion that some people have le I find staggering.
Speaker 2: Brian Foley the former development manager at Wigan, longtime development manager at Wigan, an actual uncle of Herbie Farmor, and he often comes over to Australia to watch Herbie's games and help him with his training. Send something quite lengthy to me. He likes to write things and send them to provide us and I will paraphrase some of this, but what I'll also do is hit you with the point and see what you think. So one of his points was that in Australia the NRL is a cultural juggernaut free from the specific class antagonism the stifles stifles the UK, and he asks, do do they truly understand what they're stepping into?
Speaker 1: That's a really good question.
Speaker 3: I don't know the inner mechanics of who's advising the RL. Look, I think I'm sure Peter Vane has has spoken to Blake Solly and Shane Richardson, people have worked in the UK. Yeah, it is, it is very much a class struggle here that it is in Australia. I mean Australia as a class system, but it's a much more egalitarian society and you get much more support, shall we say, from the big end of town in Sydney and Brisbane than you do in you know, in the UK and places like Leeds and Weekend et cetera. So it is very different, but I think there's also a lot of similarities.
Speaker 1: Eli.
Speaker 3: You know, rugby league is rugby league. You need you need people on the ground here who understand the cultural differences and how things operated, but you also need people with fresh eyedeas innovation, who aren't shackled by all the bullshit and the corruption and a backslapping that goes on in the UK rugby league.
Speaker 1: The cheerleading the.
Speaker 2: One saving grace in terms of the current NRL administration is Peter valandis is a political animal right. He apparently ended up in the same room as Joe Biden when Joe Biden was the US President and was having conversations with him. He's come from a racing background as well, and racing is a sport that's all over the world. There's some people who think is more powerful in New South Wales than the New South Wales premier. So I think we've got a political animal basically who can cook through some of those things as well, and hopefully he can he can get some cooked through in England. The next point Brian brought up was a big club bias, and he said there's a real danger that the NRL will focus only solely on the elite brands, marginalizing the smaller traditional teams that are the very foundation of the tribal history of rugby league in the UK. And I think that's something you said earlier. Yeah, I mean, just jumping back a second, I mean you're also forgetting elbow. The Prime Minister of Australia is a massive rugby league tragic and his government is giving rugby League six hundred million dollars three hundred million pounds to set up the p ANDNG team to fund development for Pacific rugby league. So yeah, on the flip side of that, let's not forget people trying to forget that the government in maybe not as much money, but the government in the UK does give rugby league, or has given rugby league a lot of money twenty million pounds, so forty million dollars for the last World Cup.
Speaker 1: Sport England gives the sport.
Speaker 3: Sixteen million over a five year period, so you know it's on a major sport in comparison to Australia, but there is still money coming in from a government.
Speaker 2: And a labor government is actually more likely to be more supportive of rugby league than a Tory one thing, and well, the Speaker of the House is a rugby league man.
Speaker 3: You say that Lee, and in theory it's right. But the whole working demand thing with Boris Johnson was basically give money and that was tied into the World Cup money. It was because you had swing seats in Workington and Lee. There were labor strongholds that went Tory. So the Tory government did actually give a lot of money to rugby league.
Speaker 1: But yeah, in theory I agree with it.
Speaker 3: Your second point, yeah, one hundred percent. I think there needs to be a whole national approach to rugby league. You can't just concentrate on certain cities of big clubs. Look, I think they need to have a school's you know, a big thing would be development officers and a schools a strategy for getting rugby league played into schools and I'm not talking about schools in Wigan and card and Hull. I'm talking about schools in Brighton and Chiswick and Newcastle and Cumbria and you know, you know, I'm I'm I've lived in South Yorkshire and you know regular league is down the road in Wakefield but it's almost non existent.
Speaker 2: You can walk through Manchester as a rugby league player in Nobile know who you are. Yeah, they're literally right next to Salford. Yeah, most of most of the cities in the UK. So you need to you need they need to have a grassroots approach as well, because while you can get the top division going and that will spur grassroots, you know, I think you need to work both of them, both angles at the same time. And also one thing that's probably in Look, we're not going an infinite pool of money, but you need to be pushing development in Scotland, in Wales and in Ireland as well, because there's no point if you're if you're Wigan Warrington, You're going to take a game to Dublin next year and you might look up with Andy Fowe and get heaps of coverage and you know, get lots of people in Ireland excited, But then you want to point to them and say, you know, you're a young kid, can't play for the Dublin Blues or go and play. You know, we're going to put money in and we're going to do clinics and schools because you don't just have to play Gaelic football and soccer and hurling and rugby union.
Speaker 1: You could play rugby league.
Speaker 3: So we've got to give them that pathway as well.
Speaker 2: Brian also mentioned that when Sky transformed the game in nineteen ninety five, there his words, we thought the Super League gear would solve everything, but politics and a lack of investment in the grassroots and outer area STiMi that growth. We cannot afford to make the same mistake twice.
Speaker 3: He's the smart man, Brian. Look, I wasn't when I said I wasn't around. I was alive, but I wasn't in the UK and working at the MEI at that time, and you, as we would have been a teenage fan, I imagine ly at that point would remember. But from what I've read, I think there was eighty seven million quid, wasn't it from Squat from scott too, But a lot of that went on players, so every club went professional. And what they didn't do the mistakes made them was they didn't ring fence some of that money for facilities or for development. And the other thing was with Morris Lindsay and his plans, they never went sort of all in on the mergers and some of the big changes that they wanted to make they didn't. He didn't get enough support, did he. So now we can argue whether Colder would have worked and all these mergers would have worked or not. But it wasn't the whole revolution that wasn't visaged. It was a kind of a half in half hour. So while super lieve it was a massive step forward and you know, a huge success in this early years, I don't think all the changes.
Speaker 1: That were made we were needed.
Speaker 2: And then Brian ended with we need the NRL's professionalism, but they need to respect our soul. We taught the game to the world. Yeah, I mean, that's that's fair. Ricardo Ball asked on X the looming NRL takeover is the signing of RTS from Wakefield the first signs of investment in high caliber antipody and players. Can I answer that first?
Speaker 1: You can?
Speaker 2: RTS was described by Andrew Voss two days ago. I was looking like he's on the way out in terms of his ability. So Ricardo's assessment of him being a high caliber Antipodean player potentially has to be questioned, because yes, he has been a high caliber player. But unfortunately Ricardo, I think it's we're getting somebody who's going to be maybe seventy percent of that player from assessments of him. Also, I don't think it's the first sign of any investment because clubs have been doing this for years. We could go back to Brett Kenny if we want them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean this is a signing that matter Loss has funded at Wakefield. The interesting thing you mentioned about Vossy and I listened to his radio show a week ago and.
Speaker 1: He was trumpeting how great a signing it was.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it just goes to show thanks and I love VOSSI Vossi's Voss's great, brilliant commentator. But yeah, look, I think rts we'll see how he goes. It's a little bit like the Joe Margrave signing last year. Whole car and I see Jared's regularly on Fox League Now and he said on I think it was the Sunday Night Manage John Show that he was running on fumes last year like he was literally, you know, he was at the tail end. There wasn't much to give. But what I think he did for whole k are in training and with those plas. He inspired those players. He taught them how to be winners. And you know, he brought a lot of off field things perhaps that they didn't have necessarily with his on field performances, you know when the Roosters won the comp in twenty thirteen, et cetera. So I think there can be good parts to the signing that aren't just about on field performance. Hopefully with Roger and I'll hold my breath. But much like Jared, you didn't really see him in the media. Yeah, and similar with Luke Carey, we super never really capitalized on apart from the on field they didn't capitalize the off field stuff.
Speaker 1: So they need to get Roger, you.
Speaker 3: Know, on talk sport, and they need to push him, and they need to give great access to him because you know, he's a former All Black, he's a dual code star and you know, I think he's a really good I've interviewed Roger before. I think he's a quite an articulate guy, a good looking guy, which always helps as well, and maybe, you know, hopefully he's got a fair bit of attack. But in saying that, you look at how Wakefield played yesterday. They look pretty bloody good. Max Joward had a great game, Oli Pratt was sensational. Jack Truman was phenomenal as well. So yeah, he's joining a good Wakefield team at the moment.
Speaker 2: There's some talk that leads are interested in Jackson Hastings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I am. I heard from a few people. Jackson is off contract that so now's the only signed a one year deal. There's been no sort of statements about his future and leads have shown some interest in signing Jackson now. The director of rugby at Leeds is Ian Bleeze, who signed Jackson at Salford, very very close relationship with Jackson. And there's a fair bit of doubt about Brodie Croft's future at Leeds because he's also off contract. He's really keen to get back to Australia. There's been to talk about Perth showing some interest in him. So yeah, I spoke to a few people about this. Jackson didn't get back to me. Poor Rolie directed or comments to Aim and ganis who's filling in at the seas at the moment. But I think so Nows are keen to keep him, but I don't think they're able to match what leads are offering, so it will be an interesting decision. Yeah, Jackson Masin's obviously had how many clubs, I'd say six or seven maybe more Dragons.
Speaker 2: Manly Roosters, West Tigers, Newcastle Knights, Saint Helen's, Wigan, Salford, so that's seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sam Burgess hasn't sound a contract yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the other one that I found interesting.
Speaker 3: Wigan didn't really want to say too much, sorry Wigan Warrington, Warrington didn't today. Yeah, I just don't write these things that you're saying, right, make sure you get a round on paper now. I try and I try and sub what I write. Yes, look, Warns are on ya this season, massive turnar around that club. Steve mcnamaraw as assistant has no doubt had a big impact. But they've changed the ross around and let mud have to go, you know. I think I think there's been a really impressive turnaround at Warrington. Obviously were early in the season and people say it's always their yearly are the same, the same usual slides, but look they looking good at the moment. And yeah, Burgess is off contract.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: You know, there's not really been anyone writing about this talking about it apart from myself, but I think it's a really interesting one because there is some chat about Steve McNamara's future now, whether perhaps there may be a vacancy at Whole FC, or there may be a vacancy at Leeds if Brad Arthur.
Speaker 1: Goes, which we already talked about recently.
Speaker 3: But Osa is also off contract and he's told Leeds that he will tell them on June twenty nine what he's doing, which is interesting.
Speaker 1: You could frame that a few ways.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think Burgess, look, he applied for the Perth job. I think he wants to go back to Astra at some point. He's got two kids, two young kids who were in Australia with their mother. So yeah, it's an interesting one. Yeah. I think I think Sam's doing a really good job at Warrington this season. It was close to getting the sack last season but he's turned it around.
Speaker 2: He's obviously still a very young coach regardless regardless of what staff are on. He's the head coach, right, So anything that's happening in this exactly as much as as much as the coach gets too much blame when things are going wrong, sometimes we probably don't praise them enough when things are going right. And just what I said about Ivan Cleary with regards to Dobbin and read in the in the radio studio, we've got to say exactly the same. I think about Sammy Burgess. Recent results of promoted teams John are a bit of a concern.
Speaker 3: Just one I just said my insight we warrant in is I think last season things are a bit loose in a squad, and I think we saw that in Vegas and in other places. And I think Sambury just tried to install a bit of discipline. He was very matey with the players, tried to install a bit of discipline in that backfide, and that's why we saw the departure of Dafty, we saw the departure of Martin Clayton's assistant coach, and I think that change around has definitely helped to a more discipline squad and more consistent performances.
Speaker 2: So promoted teams Blue things are getting a bit tough now and depressed. A new goals by the name cock Womble twelve. He's my favorite tweeter with that name, cock Womble twelve. I don't know if that's twelve Cox or twelve wombles, or is the twelfth cock Womble. Is it too early to say that the fourteen team comp was a mistake? So over to you, Johnny Bye.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we've talked about this since round one or two. It say it was a success. After Sorry, I've said over to you and I'm going to interrupt you on this podcast.
Speaker 1: We have been.
Speaker 2: Very, very keen to not dive in. And somebody speaking to the other day whose opinion I really respect, who wants me to get their name in one of my poems at the start and you'll know when you know who it is when I'll say it. He was saying he likes our podcast because we talk about the things that the others don't.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: What all the cheerleaders do is go, oh, super League's fantastic, blah blah blah. You know this is happening, And yes, there's some fantastic things happening. Great crowds et cetera. But quite frankly, they're putting lipstick on a pig and they have brought these teams in on shoe string budgets to lose Olympeak have got half the half the money that everyone else has yr half the money, half the money. Look, I can't argue Bradford have brought something to Super League. But I'm already looking at it now thinking there's a very good chance these three teams are going to be bottom in the Super League come the end of the year now, for sporting integrity purposes. For sporting integrity purposes, they were lucky last year in those three finished top of the championship even though all the money went into this grading system and this board who were looking at it and everything else. And then guess what teams they come up with? The three that ended up finishing the three top the top three in the competition. So look, yeah, we're starting to see the reality now.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: Bradford against Leeds the other day, Leeds just needed to lift the antea a little bit and it was game over.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: On reflection, they are starting to hit their apps a little bit now. I don't think they get the bodies smacked if they went to York again for the rest of this season. Even Huddersfield have come back, and that's part of that is I think because they've got more Super League DNA and the spine back.
Speaker 1: They got a spine back, that's right.
Speaker 2: And I just I think the reality is going to really kick in now. Was it was it you was telling me that York didn't name an eighteenth man.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was at haddes Field on Saturday cover the game for the League Express. York didn't name it eighteenth men? You know, any names there, any name nineteen players? Usually you name a twenty one men squad. There any name nineteen players for this game, and York were missing. They're starting full back, they're starting wingerer, they're starting center, they're starting seven, they're backup seven, and there's some probably other squad players are missing. And look, you York were a championship team last year. Bar Paul Vaughan and Paul McShane. You know, their recruitment was very low key because they don't have a lot of money and they don't have a massive academy or a big junior system either, so they're punching about their way and this is not an attack on York. It's not an attack on Bradford or to lose, as you said, you already said Lee, two of those clubs are only getting half the money, so that's a farce. And then to lose have to pay nine hundred pounds for the travel as to Catlands for all the team.
Speaker 1: So you know to the fact.
Speaker 3: That Tuluse can win a single game or a couple of games, but they've lost five. They've lost five in a row now and as the season goes on and there's more injuries, your depth gets tested. It's going to get harder, and that's what we're seeing. You mentioned New York. They go to whole KR this weekend in the Cup. Now York have still got quite a few players out a whole hour that near fitness and starting to hit this strap. So that could be fifty points you know in my not be But and yeah, I think it's great to have Bradford back and the big crowds, and it's credit some max for interest. I really like to lose great people who run that club, and I think, you know, that's somewhere we need long time to be pushing rugby league in France, and I also think your fantastic stadium, good people running the club. And that's another that's a city, which is it's not a small town. It's a city with potential. And they need like cat Lens did in two thousand and six, they need, you know, three years or whatever to.
Speaker 1: Get their shit together.
Speaker 3: But if we're going to have clubs in we need to give them the full central central distribution. We need to give them time to recruit. Like the decision for who was coming up and the IMG was what October the season starts. Your preseason starts in novemberly, so can you imagine can you imagine the Perth Bears getting the go ahead to be in the NRL a month before their preseason starts.
Speaker 1: No, it's absolutely.
Speaker 2: Ludicrously people are worried about the Perth Bears and PNG already in Australia. Well, PNG have had you know, quite a few years. Look, yeah, I wrote this last year and I said a point. Look, I could be proved wrong at the end of the season. Maybe Bradford will finished sixth and the will finish seventh, and to lose or finish eight, then I'll be wrong. And if I am wrong, I'll hold my hand up and everyone can slag me off, but there isn't the depth of quality of player in England and everyone knows that because they intrigue in they sorry they I can't speak about it. They increased the level of Quoda players to ten because there is reserve graders. There's reserve graders playing in Super League. Yeah, there's when in history on Good Friday and it was fantastic theater, don't get me wrong, but when in history on Good Friday of Saint Helen's had to get two loan players from a fellow team in their division to play in the Good Friday Derby in the summer game, not in the winter game, because that would have been near the end of the season in the summer again. Yeah, and the decisions that have been made, you know that there's a consequence for them all. So look, I don't have a problem with Bradford York and to lose being in Super League. I would have liked them to have had a year to prepare. That would be so much better in a year's time.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: I think if you're going to explain the competition, you do it you you know, and one of the reasons why we can fold it against it. You do it with analysis, and you do it with a plane and you you know, you you come up with a strong argument. You don't just do it on a whim and hopeful the best. And also, you know, people forget last year there were so many blowouts at the cordy of the competition. You had, you know, a whole car at the top. You had Wigan and I have far behind Lee.
Speaker 1: Were up there.
Speaker 3: But there was some terrible games last year and I think, you know, I don't think we've seen many terrible games this year, which has been great, but I think the fear is that things will get worse.
Speaker 1: A long year.
Speaker 3: Look at you look, look, I think carsif had tried really hard yesterday, but Wakefield absolutely dominated them. Yeah, Huddersfield, Huddersfield against York was very one sided and lott Cudtersfield are not a great team and haven't been a great team for a long while. You know, we had some you know, hif C we're pretty much dominated by the whole car. Wigan Saints was a great game, Catlyn still loose, was very competitive, Bradford Leeds was very competitive for most of it. But yeah, you I mean Warrington absolutely did a number on Lee. There isn't the quality across the whole competition to back up for in teams.
Speaker 2: Canada Rugby League News on X wanted to talk about wanted us talk about Huddersfield resurgence, and I think we've done that in those exchanges there. You've also mentioned I think coaching futures at a few Super League clubs. So the next thing we probably should look at is the England head coaching role because I think that comes into coaching futures as well. So by the sounds of it, John, it sounds like they wanted Willy Peters. But Willie Peters has made his bed and that will be in Papa New Guinea. On the panel including other people are Kevin Sinfield and Nigel Wood. My theory is that those two were massive fans of Wayne Bennett. It's a six month contract. Wayne Bennett lives in Australia. They won't even need to pay for a long haul business class flight. He'll already be there. He's somebody who can galvanize a side to come up with a better performance in a few weeks. He can also mentor a cup of younger coaches and past the Batton onto them. So why don't we just announce him now? John I think, I mean it may be wa't be. I don't think it will be.
Speaker 3: Who do you think it will be? I think it's most likely to be either Brian mcdowald or Brad Arthur. I don't think there's a huge amount of support for poor Early. I don't think he'd been interviewed previously. But just to jump backstep, I mean we're in what I'm just sorry, I'm just checking the press reality.
Speaker 1: It was said on the first of April. We're in April.
Speaker 3: World Cup starts in October and the Ashes finished in November. Why are we just unveiling an interview panel now for six months? Six months till the World Cup. I mean, even Wayne Bennett he'll have some knowledge of some of those players. I mean there's even an advantage there. He was the coach but one of England, the last coach but one, so I think he did a fantastic job to the final and really competitive and then you know the Great Britain Tour was a disaster. But look, I just you know, we've got a panel here and this was put to me by someone. Kempvi Sinfield is on the panel Kempvi Sinfield obviously forming the captain one of the best players Leeds of all time. You know, great work for charity, but he does work for the r F. You is that a bit odd? Like you wouldn't get.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't get Joseph Saul on a panel to pick the next Kangaroos coach, would you. It's a bit that's a bit of an odd one. And then we've got someone who worked in hockey. We've got Abu, a cuckoo who's leaving his position, and we've got Mark Lovering.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, I just find it as another sort of indicator of how badly the sports run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last round, the Easter weekend round, Huddersfield thirty four York fourteen tries for Huddersfield Clune, Eveld Zen and Gag Guy with two. Wolford Zen and kicked three goals. Russell kicked two goals. York fourteen came from Roberts and not Aloma and Williams and a goal to Roberts. Did we cover this game the other day?
Speaker 1: We didn't.
Speaker 3: This was Saturday. It was pretty it was a pretty one sided game. Hardersfield were pretty dominant throughout. Obviously with Evel's back. It was Adam Swift's first game of the season. Adam Klune very good, Zack Wolford very good the hooker. So you know, with your with you one, your seven in your nine back, Yeah, has Wild look a different team. I think, you know, the changing of the coach seems to have relieved. I don't know if it's a relief pressure, but the player seem a lot happier. And yet York just missing a lot of players. I think that's four lost in a round now for York. Yeah, it's getting tough. It's getting tough for York. I think they've overachieved early on and yeah they're sort of coming back to the park. But obviously he takes some of those key spying players out for York and this is you know, the reality that we see as well. So yeah, great if you're you're a Haddersfield family and Finn obviously auditioning for the job. Look, he's not got a huge amount of experience. I don't think he would be the right choice at Haddersfield. I think they need an experienced coach to take that club. But you know, I think there's issues off the field at Haddersfield, which we've talked about and written about at length.
Speaker 2: Before the back Super League victories for the first time since last August, Warrington forty two and.
Speaker 1: Unleash.
Speaker 2: They were unleashed Warrington forty two, Lee six. They weren't on leaf Lee tries for Warrington, Smith too from Ashton, Bentley filled in Williams and Powell seven goals to snade. Lee's points came from Cook who scored a try and kicked a goal and that win took Warrington to the top of the ladder and with everyone else on ten points as well. Your thoughts on that game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was one at the same time as the Haddersfield game, so I didn't watch it at length seeing the highlights and watched the same versus Press. A very good performance from from Warrington. They've also played a game less so may forget because they were scheduled to play Whole K.
Speaker 1: I win HOLEK or in Vegas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mark Sneah was back so you know you and Owen and they were missing a few forwards as well, so warranted. So I just yeah, Warrington done really really well, even the game they lost to Leeds they were, they were, they played well in that game. Yeah, I think the question is more Lee, so weirdly with the Challenge Cup Lee and I'm talking Leon, not the Leopards here. Warrington and Lee will play again in the Challenge Cup in.
Speaker 2: What venue is that? Warrington? Again, that's a really good question. Actually, I'm not sure the picture.
Speaker 3: I'll get to that later, but yeah, look, I think Lee are missing some key players, particularly a Pape and they're two fullbacks. But I don't think their recruitment this year has been as good as in previous years and they're struggling as a club. Yeah, I mean I think Warrington going to that Challenge Cup game as massive, massive favorites, so it'd be a huge job set if Lee beat The next weekend.
Speaker 2: Catalan's thirty three to lose twenty six tries from Sexton the Rala tours called du which is French for two coatrick fatarpe laolu tol ga.
Speaker 3: Guy?
Speaker 1: Is that how you say it? Pot? Just calling PLT.
Speaker 2: PLT goals from Sexton who kicked four of them, and a dropped goal from Leaming to lose scored twenty six through Ash hamp Bolt. You saw me and Paul Selly and the goals with them. Rouge, who scored three Catalan Dragons, survived a bit of a scare, I think from to lose later in the game, but they had fallen sixteen nilled down prior to that to lose, and then scored three tries of their own. It's to lose his fifth in a role this season. Defeat that is not looking good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, they were right in this game. I think they were a little bit unlucky with a few decisions. This was a fantastic game. The only problem was when the coverage would carry out or buffer or whatever. But yeah, I thought it was a great derby. The store for me has been Solomona Fatape and I'm sure I'm probably been out now incorrectly, but I think he'd come over from the West Tide. I don't know how much he played at the Tigers because he wasn't a playoffs for me, but he's been sensational.
Speaker 1: He's just got this ability to as a.
Speaker 3: Center, you know, draw his man and the winger and pop an off load while taking two players in contact. And he did it a couple of times on Saturday. He's a great talent and Yeah, top game, but again, as we said before, with to lose, I think it's just going to be harder and harder for them week in week out. The Lens have got the better squad on paper, a lot more experience at this level and greater depth.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He played nineteen games for the West Tigers in twenty four and twenty five. Castleford nil Wakefield thirty four True all scored, Smoothie scored, Pratt scored two, Scott scored one and Joey kicked three goals. That's a fifth straight win in all competitions for wake who were one of those on the cluster of ten and Casford fall to the bottom.
Speaker 1: Not a good day for cass.
Speaker 3: Everything they seemed to try early on just didn't go right there, just no luck sort of went their way and Wakefield's big pack just brand right. I thought Lino and Truman were excellent, Oli Pratt was was really really good.
Speaker 1: Max Gaouet and.
Speaker 3: Maybe spurred on by the something of arties playing for his future, was was really really good. And yeah, if you're a Wakefield fan, you're in You're in heaven. You know, they got Wigan in a cup And if you're betting right, now you'd be saying Wakefield are looking pretty good for that one wigging with back to back losses, and Wakefield have got a good record against Wigan in recent years. They we seem to knock them off at at Bellevue. But yeah, this was Yeah. I feel I feel a bit for Cass because I think we're really competitive for most of the game and then just towards the end they were just falling off tackles and I think the last try the Triman scored did. The defense on Pratt was very very poor and Ryan Carr didn't mince his words again post game. But yeah, Wakefield just very very good five wins as you wrote, as you said, yeah, great push up the table for the trim.
Speaker 2: Simon Paul regular contributor to keep them coming mate. Video referee reviewing system is more time consuming than last year. This plus an unnecessary captain's challenge, is a big turn off. We need less video ref interventions. Ref should give, not give, or go to the video ref, which would mean most wouldn't go to the video ref.
Speaker 3: Please discuss, discuss. I don't really agree with that personally. I liked the fact that it's given and then it goes up. I don't think it takes longer. I think it takes less than last year.
Speaker 1: And while we.
Speaker 3: Don't want, you know, video referees, you know, fifteen minute deliberations, people seem to forget. And I'm old enough and I'm sure you are lay about all the horrendous decisions that we used to have in the past, you know that either didn't.
Speaker 1: Get awarded or got awarded when they were obvious. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the same thing. There's a lot of people pushing it back against the Captain's challenge. I don't have a problem with it. I like the system. I think it's a personal preference.
Speaker 1: That's just me.
Speaker 2: Somebody wants us to talk about development in London the South, that's mister h history.
Speaker 1: I saw that there wasn't really it was just talk about it. There wasn't really.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you're having a way. I think you're having a way because we spoke about the NRL investment. I mean the South isn't getting serviced because the development officers have been caught, so there's lesson.
Speaker 1: Yeah in the South.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've been cut. They've been cut for ages, you know. I think and I think the new owners at London Broncos. One of the things that they've tried to do since taking over the club, I think it was September last year is reconnect all the different rugby league elements in London. So you know, the Homer Smith Hillberlhoys are connected to the Broncos and you know the amateur clubs. I don't know that. I don't live in London and I don't cover the club closely enough to know exactly what's going down in that market, but I do know there are a lot of people in the capitol who are passionate and involved in rugby league, of fans of rugby league, and yeah there's you know, you were talking about Bill Lalen before the whole hooker who basically won the game for Saint Helen's. Yeah, he's from London. He's a London Broncos player. You know Clipe Peas Paul who was you know, on an edge for the West Tigers what two hours ago.
Speaker 1: He's a London product.
Speaker 3: Like you know, there's so much that that market can give the sport, you know, through talent. So yeah, we need to be we need to be pushing, you know, the amateur game in that part of the country we need, we need development offices. They've been cat as you said, in the Midlands, they've been cut in in London, and they've been in other areas in Wales and Scotland, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So we need fanding for that to come back. NRL.
Speaker 2: Since we did our Friday Pod, we've had Saint George Dragons fall to another defeat.
Speaker 1: Poor Shane Flanagan looked like looked like he was going to drop dead.
Speaker 2: To me, he was breathing, having breathing, heavily agitated. Look pale. I didn't like the look of whatsaw quite frankly, and I think what I wanted him to resign basically because he didn't look healthy to me, and obviously as well last week he had his son knocked out on the field for five minutes and I think that and I think the pressures get into him.
Speaker 1: You left out Ilawara there. You just killed the whole region of rugby St George. Yeah, I used to live in the Ila.
Speaker 3: No, in all seriousness, I didn't see the press I look. I think final again, there's no doubt he can coach. He's one of he's one of our old grand follower Caronal and that was a tremendous feat. But look, he's also you know, we had the peptide scandal, we had the thing where he was banned and he was working. He we talked about agendas before. He's a coach that seems to have very strong relationships with certain people in the media. He worked at Fox Sports, I've already seen. I think it was a bulldog Richie defending him, much much like Anthony Sebold and Isaac Moses client who had a lot of defenders in the media. And I think, you know, you can't judge the Seabold sacking by result from Karen Forum, but I think that was the right decision. Now fun again, Look, the Dragons is a tough gig, isn't it. They seemed since sort of Mary McGregor left or you know, during that they just seemed to be a club.
Speaker 1: Well you could say since Wayne Bennett left the ben clubs.
Speaker 3: They did have some good insane I did have some good periods when Widow was there and Graham was there. I think they were in the eighth I can't remember exactly what it was at twenty sixteen, seven eighteen. It seems like a million years ago. But yeah, it's a very tough going there, and you know, chef shamef. You don't want to see any coach struggle or under pressure. But you know that that seems to be a club that needs a bit of a reset. And yeah, you know, results are king. He's been there a while now, and I think it was interesting early. Was it was it round one or before the kickoff he said we're not going to win the comp this year. Yeah, yeah, like I think a little bit. Look, I can understand it because he's on hundred percent correct win this year, but maybe he was been too honest there for his own good and mainly that gives subconsciously does that give the players an out?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You're the you're the coach, Lee. Yeah, I thought that was an interesting comment. Stop stop looking at your sorry sorry.
Speaker 2: I mean a few times I thought he's been too negative in after game press conferences. He's focused on the negatives. I mean, I'll give you one example. They go to with the Bulldogs who finished top four last year at Las Vegas. They lose on Golden Point and they had a real good chance there. To just praise his players and say how good it was and you know, if I was a Saint George fan that day, had have been proud of the team, put it that way, and he looked at other things and he did that a few times last year too. The other Saints. They host Catalans this in the Cup at eight pm.
Speaker 1: Who's winning that? John?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that's an odd one because Catlens seem to have gone back to this stereotype of previous is where they travel the UK and they're very poor. St Helens will be riding the high after their derby win, but they're still missing a ton of good players, hence the whole k alone. So I think this could go eight away, but I'd probably be leaning towards Saint Helen's at home off the back of that derby winn and you know, a real big chance for a trophy. Now what we're in quarter finals, aren't we say? You're only you're only two more wins away from a from a round to Wembley.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think I think the Saints.
Speaker 2: York traveled to whole k Are at one thirty pm on Saturday, and Lee traveled to Warrington, So it's Warrington at home five point thirty on Sunday. I think you've already given your prediction for both of those. Wait for Wigan one PM. I definitely think this is a huge chance for Wakefield and I think Wigan could be the bounce. It's the game that around that one.
Speaker 3: Look wigging under pressure Wakefield, absolutely flying Wakefield with a great record against Wigan in Bellevue in for the last three or four years.
Speaker 1: A danger game for Wigan.
Speaker 3: Pressure on Maddy Pete to get his team up for this one and to get a result, and Darryl Powe will be licking his lips. Yeah, a huge game. I'm just I'm disappointed. I don't think I'll be able to get to this one because I've got a family commitment. I'm hoping to be at Warrenton Lee on Saturday. But yeah, by far, I think I think Saturday could be a sorry Friday Nights game could be close the Catlands game. I think we'll see big whole KR victory and probably an easy Warrington victory barring a minor miracle on Saturday.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this way Field working game.
Speaker 3: Is a is a juicy one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fascinating to see how it plays out.
Speaker 2: There'll be no after the hooter this week because it's Cup weekend, so another another weekend off from We've done quite a future. To be fair, Hey, you're getting your nails down. I don't may. I've got great nails. Actually, many women compliment me on my nails and all we.
Speaker 1: Do is wash normally normally. That's good normally.
Speaker 2: In terms of the analysis video normally do for Super League, I've prepared one today and then I had a real tricky technological problem, so they may not be one this week. It depends. So if you don't see one, you understand why.
Speaker 1: John. Where can people get you?
Speaker 3: They can get me on Exit Johnny d Davids, and they can get me on Facebook at John Davidson Turnalist. They can get me in the paper, and they can get me on Patreon at Rugby League hub dot com, long breeds and
Speaker 2: I'm admin at Rugby League Coach dot comdatay you on email at Rugby League Coach on socials Rugby League Coach dot comdatay you website, take care of everybody,