Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI.
Speaker 2: And KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: By twenty one twenty or forty three fifty seven Mega twenty three. Yeah, I didn't do it. No winning lottery tickets sold from last night's five hundred and eighty two million dollar Mega Millions drawing. Yes, that's why we're all here this morning. Next drawing is six hundred and twenty seven million on Friday. De buy lottery tickets. I do it every once in a while. I figure it's a cup of Starbucks and I'm in the lottery pool for the office. I don't spend a lot on it, but every once in a while when it gets up this big, oh, you know, maybe just one or two. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, August twenty eighth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. Because there was no winners. We're all starting our day together because I think if I would have won, I might be sleeping very soundly right now. I don't know about you. Here's what's ahead on wake up call score one for CNN Vice President Harris and Minnesota Governor Tim Walls. They're going to hold their first interview since announcing their run for the White House on CNN. Dana Bash will be doing the interviewing Thursday at six pm. This is going to be the first time Harris has done in interview since President Biden dropped has been for reelection more than a month ago. The power's been turned back on for about twelve hundred homes in Silmar. The powers turned off after a man climbed a power pole and refused to come down for hours yesday afternoon. That cut the power for the man's safety. The man eventually climbed down on his own and left the area. Interest rates in California have ticked down. The California Association of Reilters's the average thirty year fixed mortgage rate was at five point seventy five percent on Monday. The median home price was just down a little bit for a second month after hitting a record high in May. We're going to be checking in at five point twenty with the host of Rich on Tech, Rich Demiro, about a new feature that is for photos on Instagram. Also, Apple's about to unveil its latest and greatest and all those travel points you get, well rich is going to help us actually get somewhere with them. Also, Amy's on it coming up the bottom of the hour. It's dark, it's filled with drugs and death, and I can't get enough of it. I'm telling you about what that is. And another day, another indictment. We've got ABC Stephen Portnoy coming up before the top of the hour to help us unpack the latest indictment of former President Trump at six oh five. Its handle on the news. California is getting millions to put in more ev charging stations. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. California could be the first state to pass the legislation that would allow home loans for illegal immigrants. The bill would expand the California Dream for All program to allow immigrants living in California to use it. Republican State Minority Senate Minority Leader Brian Jones says the idea is crazy.
Speaker 4: The country can't afford to buy illegal immigrants homes.
Speaker 1: The bill would make it illegal immigrants eligible for up to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars in taxpayer supported home loans. Governor Newsom has not said whether he will sign the measure if it reaches his desk by the August thirty first deadline. The man accused of beating a woman at a Metro train station in Pasadena and throwing her onto the two ten freeways pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and mayhem charges. The attack happened three weeks ago at the A line's Allen station. The woman suffered seriously injuries. La County Supervisor Catherine Barger says she expects a full report from Metro concerning security measures that will be put in place to ensure safety, especially during early morning commute hours. Ev drivers in La County will soon have a bunch of new charging stations available.
Speaker 5: The federal government has allocated fifteen million dollars to build the chargers. Federal Highway Administrator Shaleen bat says the new fleet will include fifteen chargers that can power up cars and minutes.
Speaker 6: And over one thousand Level two chargers that take a couple of hours to charge a vehicle.
Speaker 3: But they're going to get installed all over La County.
Speaker 5: The announcement yesterday was part of a nationwide investment of more than five hundred and twenty million dollars to make charging easier for drivers across the country. La County's chargers should be installed within the next year. Blake Trolley Kafi News.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ABC's joyor Donna Miller in Jerusalem. So in a sea of bad news, we did get a piece of good news. Israel liberated one of the hostages after three hundred and twenty six days of captivity.
Speaker 7: What do we know, Jordanna, that's right, the Israeli Army for the first time rescued a live hostage from inside a tunnel. It's also the first time that this hostage that was released as an Arab citizen, a Muslim, and the first time that there was no combat involved in his rescue. That is, the Israeli troops were operating in an area of southern Gaza and a complex tunnel network, and they were able to collect intel that there was a hostage, an Israeli Arab hostage alone in one remote part of this tunnel, and the troops cautiously worked their way through the tunnel, which is very dangerous because the tunnels are often booby trapped. They're often Hamas terrace hiding in the tunnels. They made their way through to the spot where they thought he was. They called out his name in Hebrew and identified themselves and asked him to identify himself. He did. He later told Israel's president he was overwhelmed to hear Hebrew because he'd been kept captive and in the dark for most underground, for most of his captivity, that is almost eleven months. And he responded. They broke through the door, the steel door, and whisked him out of this tunnel and onto a helicopter. He was admitted yesterday to a hospital in southern Israel. The doctors say that he's in stable condition. He did lose considerable weight, and he's actually just a few About an hour ago. He was just released, actually back to his family, who of course were of joy that he was rescued. He has eleven children. He's part of the Bedouin community in southern Israel, and he's one of eight Bedouins that Hamas took right. They didn't care that he was Muslim, you know, or an Arab, an Arab citizen. The fact that he lived in Israel was enough for them to keep him and under really inhumane conditions. He lost a lot of weight and said he wasn't treated any better. He told his family because he was a Muslim, he was fed bread and not every day, and you know, he's unfortunately he was kept for a while with a group of hostages, and just a couple hostages. Then he said he actually witnessed one hostage die right next to him, and then later he was on his own. And it appears that his captors abandoned him in this tunnel at some point when they realized that there were significant Israeli forces in the area.
Speaker 1: So when you say that they abandoned him, was it just like a few hours or was he alone for days or do we know?
Speaker 7: Yep, we're not sure yet. We're not sure yet. It could have been a couple of days, it could have been a couple hours. I think we're gonna have to wait until he speaks more about what happened. I mean, there was one report from a family member that his captors actually ran away, you know, just after hearing the troops near the near the spot where he was so just minutes before. But you know, I would have to say we should wait he was found though alone in the end. Yeah, so that that's good news at least that other people didn't die for his rescue, no civilian.
Speaker 1: And Jordana, do we was he when he was held? I don't know how much he said. I mean, was he tied up or was he just locked in a room or do we know that yet?
Speaker 7: We don't know the details. We do know that he said he barely saw any sunlight or daylight for most of the three hundred and twenty six days, and that he was kept initially with a group of hostages, then he was moved around many times. The estimate was close to ten times and in diminishing number, with diminishing numbers of other hostages. We are told that he was able to provide very important intelligence to the troops when they found him about who he'd seen recently that was alive and locations, and that may help the Israeli troops actually find more hostages, you know, God willing alive, but even to bring those that are back to Israel. But you know, the country was elated that he was brought, that he was rescued. But it also he's also the exception that proves the rule. You know, there's still over one hundred hostages held by Hamas and they cannot all be saved with rescue operations. The best way to bring them out is through a ceasefire deal. And so there's also a renewed push last night and today more people protesting across the country. Some protesters the families of hostages going up along to the Goaza border area today to call for the Israeli Prime minister to finalize a huge fire deal. There are talks ongoing, low level talks. There's an Israeli delegation, a low level delegation that is heading to Doha to talk, and many hoping that there will still be another US led high level round of talks in the coming days.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, Jardana, we will take the win that we got and we will hope for more. And thank you so much for all the details. And I think it's you know, a special especially good news like you said that he was able to get some information and that he's well and he's out of the hospital. So yeah, take the winds.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, yeah, we're gonna take the wind.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. One shopper has been robbed another was shot at by three robbers targeting people at Fashion Island in Newport Beach.
Speaker 3: It makes me not want to come here because I'm scared.
Speaker 2: Many shoppers said they were concerned that robbers grabbed the guy's wallet and watch as he sat in his rolls Royce.
Speaker 7: This isn't safe, This doesn't feel good, and I can't wait to leave right now.
Speaker 2: The robbers then tried to jack a Ferrari Monday night and started shooting when the driver took off, shattering a window.
Speaker 3: But not all shoppers are scared and I saw it on the news.
Speaker 6: But like Irving, company is pretty diligent about safeguarding their shoppers.
Speaker 2: A tourist was dragged to death under a getaway car in July during another robbery outside the mall at Island, Corbin Carson KFI News.
Speaker 1: Parents who allegedly kidnapped their kids in South LA were reportedly under supervised visitation with Child Protective Services when they escaped with the kids.
Speaker 8: The couple allegedly abducted four year old Wyman Bryant and his two year old sister Willow the first time last year after the kid's baby brother tested positive for drugs.
Speaker 3: Director of Search and.
Speaker 8: Rescue san Antonio Nina Glass says DCFS should have anticipated the parents taking the kids again.
Speaker 9: They took what Wyman and Willow and left the baby and ran out an emergency door that didn't have an alarm.
Speaker 8: Glass says the parents are drifters, living out of their car and are able to stay off the grid. CHP says the couple's likely driving a champagne colored Buick Enclave SUV with paper license plates. Chris Adler KFI news.
Speaker 1: Former high profile lawyer Tom Girardi has been convicted in LA of running a multimillion dollar Ponzi scheme. US attorney Martina Strauda says the scheme lasted ten years.
Speaker 4: Is insatiable appetite for money, so it led him to court.
Speaker 1: And to the verdict. Jardi was accused of using Pilford money to buy private jets, golf memberships, and jewelry. The eighty five year old disbarred lawyer gained popularity when his wife, Erica Jane, appeared on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. He was also known for his work in the case that inspired the Aaron Brockovich movie. He's set to be sentenced in December. You might want to dig around for old lottery tickets. Two multimillion dollar Mega Millions tickets sold in southern California are about to expire. Each ticket is worth about two million dollars. One was purchased at a seven eleven in Sun Valley, the other at a Stater Brothers in Cathedral City in Riverside County. The deadline to claim the Sun Valley ticket is Sunday. The other ticket expire September nineteenth. Governor Newsom has signed a bill that allows homeless people to stay in motels and hotels for longer than thirty days, and then another to focus on creating smaller housing units on single family home properties known as ADUs. The governor issued an executive order last month to clear homeless camps across the state. Special Council Jack Smith has indicted former President Trump once again with plotting to overturn the twenty twenty election. The indictment, filed yesterday, takes the Supreme Court ruling giving the president some immunity while in office into account and presents a narrowed down case accusing the President of leading a conspiracy to overturn the twenty twenty election. We've got ABC's Stephen Portnoy coming up before the top of the hour to help us unpack all that. It's months away and we don't know who's going to be playing in the game yet, but tickets to the twenty twenty five Rose Bowl go on sale this morning at eight am. Tickets are expected to start at about one hundred ninety dollars and will be available on Ticketmaster at six poh five. It's handle on the news another day, another indictment for former President Trump. Bill's going to be talking about that too. Right now, let's say good morning to the host of Rich on Tech on KFI KTLA's tech reporter Rich DeMuro. Rich, we got the latest and greatest about to be unveiled for Apple.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is happening on September ninth.
Speaker 6: Good morning to Amy. This is a day earlier than expected. So everyone thought it was going to be on September tenth. They typically do these iPhone events on a Tuesday, but that is the presidential debate apparently, and then Wednesday, obviously September eleventh.
Speaker 10: Apple doesn't want to be on.
Speaker 6: That day, So here we are September ninth. New iPhone's iPhone sixteen. This is going to have the AI updates. So the thing that Apple is doing that's interesting is you can't get their new Apple Intelligence unless you have an iPhone fifteen Pro or later. So that means a lot of folks. If they want to get these AI features, which they've been very interested in, they're probably going to want to update. So we're probably expecting a lot of upgrades this time around. Otherwise, the phone, maybe a new button for taking pictures, which I know is interesting.
Speaker 10: It's like a dedicated capture button.
Speaker 6: Better chips obviously, And the slightly larger screens on the pro displays.
Speaker 1: How do you make a larger screen. I'm looking at mine. It goes all the way to the end. It's the phone bigger.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, well, you know it's they probably have a little bit there. The screens are just a tiny fraction of an inch bigger. So I think that they're just going to extend it just a little bit more, probably keep it about the same size. That's what we've seen with other smartphone makers as well. These phones expected to be in stores on September twentieth. But you know, this is a big deal for Apple for whether you are buying a new phone or not. They've got that new software iOS eighteen coming out that typically launches around the time of the new phones too, So no matter what you've got, you know tens of millions of people here in the US that are ready to get either a refreshed phone or a new phone.
Speaker 1: And is my iOS eighteen going to automatically update on my.
Speaker 6: Fifteen depends if you have that feature Installedypically, I don't recommend the automatic installation feature because it's just better to have a manual control over that. But it will be compatible with the iPhone ten R and up, So if you have the ten ARE and anything later than that, you are getting that update.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll be waiting because typically they're pretty secretive about what they're going to be unveiling. We know they're doing the Apple Intelligence, but do you have any other little hints of what's coming or are you expecting any surprises this go round?
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 6: I think the last time Apple tried something new was the Vision Pro and I think they learned their lesson because that has not done so well.
Speaker 1: So are there still out there? Does anybody have them?
Speaker 10: Still out there thirty five hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: I think only the most enthusiastic Apple fans purchase those, or people that are trying to develop software. But it's a really tough place because there's not enough of them out there for people to want to use them or promote them or develop software for them. And so obviously it's just as a chicken before the egg kind of thing, like how do you get more people to use this if there's not more people developing for it.
Speaker 3: It's very very tricky right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting because there was such a big splash, and I remember when we talked about it when they first came out, but I literally haven't even heard anything about those in months.
Speaker 3: So no.
Speaker 6: In the last Apple event, they kind of did like a couple of little updates for it, but it was very very brief, and they'll probably mention something this time around.
Speaker 10: But I think this is going to be iPhone focused.
Speaker 6: iPhone is their baby, this is the biggest product they have, and this is going to be a big upgrade cycle with this artificial intelligence stuff, so I think they're going to focus a lot on that.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, So I think this is kind of a fun new feature on Instagram because when I do post photos, it's always frustrating that you can't put the little captions on them, yeah, like you do with your videos.
Speaker 6: I noticed this a couple days ago on Instagram, just like so many new options, and you know, it sounds silly, but people love Instagram. It is the hottest app right now, so besides tick, I guess, but I think for mainstream, like the average person, more people are using Instagram on a daily basis, whereas TikTok is more kind of like younger people as well. But anyway, all new things you can do on your reels and stories. You might notice when you go to type there's like all new text animations, all new fonts, all new effects that's available for your reels and stories. But if you want to post just like a regular picture, you know, like a standard old school picture, right, you can actually add text and images to those pictures as well, So that's new.
Speaker 10: And then I noticed this the other day.
Speaker 6: I was slipping through one of my friend's photo carousels and I was like, why is this keep going? And I was like, wait a second, how many pictures can you put in here?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 10: And the answer is they doubled it.
Speaker 3: It used to be ten.
Speaker 6: Now it's up to twenty pictures and videos per post, so you can share more of your vacation, so.
Speaker 1: You can do a larger like slideshowy kind of thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like when people post multiple pictures. You used to be ten was the limit. Now it's twenty.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, and then I want definitely want to get to this one. This is what you're doing on ktla this morning. I've got a bunch of travel points that I've been racking up on my credit card and then using them as a whole other issue.
Speaker 6: Yes, and there's no reason to keep these things. The value of them goes down over time, So use them, use them, use them. A couple tools I'm talking about today on KTLA. The best is called Points.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 6: This is a brand new travel search engine that lets you basically compare options across all of these loyalty programs. So whether you have them with your credit card, whether you have them with an airline or a hotel. It's like a one stop shop, and it's really good. It's really fast. Most of it is free. But if you want to get like the super you know, supercharge Search, which lets you search across like multiple days, multiple weeks. You'll have to pay a little bit, but that's a really great tool. Points dot Com. Then a ward wallet I really like. That's a way to track all your balances across and also get alerts for expiring points, so that's great. And then points Pass. This is a cool browser extension. If you search Google flights like I do all the time, it actually puts the points equivalent right in the search results and it tells you is it better to use your points or better to pay cash depending on how much the points are.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that one because I do that, but you have to toggle on the like when I go to the Alaska website, you have to toggle and use miles or use money.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and then do a calculation.
Speaker 6: Points guy actually has a calculator which I also link up. Because these points are all worth something. So you may say, oh, fifteen thousand points for a free hotel room, Well, that hotel room only costs one hundred and twenty nine dollars with with dollars, those points are worth five hundred dollars. So you need to do some math with this stuff. And this is where it gets very complicated, which is why I'm doing the story today, so you can use these tools to make sure you maximize the value of those hard earned rewards.
Speaker 1: I love those. And then are you going to post these because in case people are driving and didn't write them down.
Speaker 6: Already posted, just go to rich on tech dot tv. You know, I make sure that this stuff is online because it's so frustrating when you hear me mention something and you cannot find it on my website. So if you go to rich on tech dot tv, it is right there, front and center. Five tools to maximize your points.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's going to make things so much easier because every time we talk, I'm always scrubb you know, like scribbling stuff down. I'm like, oh, I got to remember that. I got to remember that, And then I have a pile of papers of stuff that we've talked about that I need to go check out.
Speaker 6: Same thing with my radio show on the weekends. I have a light bulb biicon on on the website. If you hear something, it is on that little light bulb by icon immediately if you click. Because again, you know, I'm giving away a lot of good information. I want people to actually use this information and not be like, oh, now, where do I see that? Where'd I hear it?
Speaker 10: I'll never find it again?
Speaker 1: Never mind, and you'll get more of this great information when you listen to rich on Tech on KFI. It's Saturdays from eleven to two. Of course, also on KTLA you can watch this segment about the travel points today and where else can we find you?
Speaker 6: Rich on Instagram at rich on Tech. I'll maybe put some text on my pictures.
Speaker 1: Oh good, idea, Yeah, show us how it's done. Thank you so much, rich Damia. We'll talk to you next week. Appreciate it, bart Amy, you can score one for CNN Vice President Harris and Minnesota Governor Tim Walls. They're going to hold in their first interview since announcing their run for the White House. It'll be on CNN tomorrow night at six pm. This is going to be the first time Harris has actually done in interview since President Biden dropped his bid for reelection more than a month ago. Video game voice actors are going to be striking outside Warner Brothers Studio today. The SAG after members want a new contract that protects against losing work to artificial intelligence. The strike against a video game producer started on July twenty sixth. The opening ceremony for the twenty twenty four Paralympic Games gets underway today in Paris. The Olympic Cauldron will be relt around eleven this morning. The Paralympics are going to be broadcast through September eighth on the USA Network and Peacock. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. The UN says the ocean is overflowing at five point fifty. Another day, another indictment. We've got ABC Stephen Portnoy coming up before the top of the hour to help us unpack that. Amy's on Itami's on, Amy's on it, AMI's on it? What am I on? I'm on the stream lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of shows. How do you know which one to watch? What are the good ones? What are the bad ones? Hopefully I can help you sort that out because I'm watching a lot. I spent it. So when I say Amy's on it, I mean Amy's on the couch because I got to get all these shows ingested. So it's documentaries, it's TV shows, it's movies and a TV show that is dark and violent and filled with drugs and death, and it's just not a very positive show. But I love it. It's called The Mayor of Kingstown. It's on Prime Video. The third season is out, and now the full season is out. They were releasing it weekly, which drives me crazy because now that we're so used to streaming and binging, when I have to wait week to week, it's frustrating. But now the whole season is out. Jeremy Renner, in case you haven't seen it, stars as an ex con who lives in Kingstown, which is a prison town, and he plays Mike McCluskey, who becomes the mayor, not the actual elected mayor, but they call him the mayor when his brother, the current mayor, is assassinated in his office. So Mike mcclusky's job is to keep the peace between the people inside the prison and the people outside the prison. And I talk to a friend who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who works in a prison. They say that this is actually a lot like how prison towns are run, and it's very similar to what actually goes on, which I'm thinking, it's got to be a stretch because there is so much killing in the show. There is no way that that many people could be murdered and not have a raised eyebrows. The bad guys kill their rivals, the police kill the bad guys. The bad guys on the inside do unspeakable things to each other, They order hits on people on the outside. I mean, it's just crazy the amount of violence, but it's incredibly intriguing. There are no real good guys in this show, but I mean it's kind of like, oh my gosh, I can't eve remember the name of the show, Oh succession. You know how, You're like, nobody's a good guy but you and you try to root for them, but you can't because they're all just bad people. Even the ones that you think are good are really not great, but you still like them and watch them. It's just the weirdest, weirdest thing. Season three wraps up a lot of things, but there could easily be more story to tell with this. Season four has not been confirmed, but it's a distinct possibility. But if you haven't seen it, season three is out. If you haven't seen any of it, there's three whole seasons to binge and like I said, it's very addictive, it's very dark, and I like it a lot. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The hot weather in southern California could stretch into the fall. Forecasters say it's because of what they're calling a volatile weather pattern. ACU Weather long range forecaster Paul Pastali says it's been causing ongoing high pressure which has been dominating the weather.
Speaker 6: And so we think that this high will end up eventually weakening a little bit, taking a break as we get into early September, flattening out a little bit, but it could still come back.
Speaker 1: He says. The height ANDed threat of wildfires will continue at least through the beginning of September. A naked, homeless man has allegedly been causing disturbances outside people's homes in LA's Wilshire area.
Speaker 8: Neighbors have shown me surveillance video of the man walking across their property completely nude. This woman, says LAPD has been called at least thirty times in the man's been arrested twice, but she fears he'll be back.
Speaker 1: It's just it's hard, like you never now every day. It's like when I open the front door, is he going to be naked on my front porch.
Speaker 8: The man's family says he was once a hard working chef but got heavily addicted to drugs during the pandemic. Neighbors say the man was arrested Sunday for an alleged robbery, but worry he'll soon be back on the streets to hurt himself or someone else.
Speaker 1: Chris Adler kf I knew. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has admitted the Biden Whitehouse pressured his teams to censor certain COVID content, including humor and satire, during the pandemic. In a letter to the House Judiciary Committee, Zuckerberg also says his company suppressed links to stories about Hunter Biden's laptop. ABC's Peter Kafka says Zuckerberg believes the government pressure was wrong.
Speaker 11: The Pendulum and Silicon Valley are sort of moving back away from let's moderate a lot too, maybe let's moderate less. But to be clear, if you run one of these big Internet companies, you have to moderate stuffs.
Speaker 1: Companies that don't will be under tremendous legal liability. Cross border strikes between Israel and Hezbollah militants in Lebanon last weekend have increased concerns about the war and Gaza spreading to other parts of the Middle East. There are worries Iran could get involved, but Pentagon's spokesman, Major General Pat Ryder says it is still contained.
Speaker 12: What you saw over the weekend, of course, was a much larger scale than what we've seen previously, but it is an our view, not a wider regional conflict at this stage.
Speaker 1: Iran has vowed revenge since Israel killed one of the most senior Hamas leaders in Tehran. The first person to break into the US Capitol building during the January sixth riots has now been sentenced to more than four years in prison. The man from Kentucky told a judge yesterday he still believes the twenty twenty election was, as he put it, taken from the American people. Michael Sparks was convicted of civil disorder, obstruction of a civil proceeding, and several other offenses for his actions in twenty twenty one. He's one of over twelve hundred people charged for the Capital Right. Former President Trump has put Robert F. Kennedy Junior and former Democratic Congresswoman Tulci Gabbard on his presidential transition team. The transition team's responsibility is to make policy and staffing decisions if Trump is elected. Kennedy suspended his independent campaign and endorsed Trump last week. Gabbard endorsed tru Trump just a couple of days ago. Hey, it's shohe Otani Bobblehead Night at Dodger Stadium. Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Orioles at Dodger Stadium. The first pitch goes out at seven o'clock. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five to seventy LA Sports live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports. The debate is on. Former President Trump says he has reached an agreement with Vice President Kamala Harris. On the debate September tenth in Pennsylvania on True Social Trump said the rules will be the same as the debate between he and President Biden. The former president says it'll be a stand up debate and they can't bring any notes it's going to be airing on ABC. Russia has diverted thirty thousand troops from the front lines of Ukraine to the Kurs region in Russia, which Ukrainian troops have claimed. Ukraine has laid claim to almost five hundred square miles of Russia since across the border a couple weeks ago. The Ukrainian commander in chief says Ukraine captured one hundred settlements and has taken nearly six hundred Russian prisoners. California plans to open over two hundred and fifty new locations to return cans and bottles. The state is going to spend seventy million dollars on the new recycling centers in thirty counties. The goal is to make recycling more convenient with special vending machines, mobile recycling centers, and drop off locations for bags. We're just minutes away from a handle on the news for the first time since she announced she's running for president more than a month ago. Kamala Harris will sit down for an interview, but she's not doing it alone. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. So, Stephen, here we go again. Former President Trump has been indicted again.
Speaker 9: Yes, this is a superseding indictment, which means it replaces the indictment in the January sixth case that was handed up a year ago. It is the same four charges that Trump allegedly conspired to defraud the US, obstruct an official proceeding, deprive Americans of their rights to have their votes counted. But importantly, this new indictment removes about nine pages worth of material that had referenced Trump's alleged actions as president, including enlisting officials within his own White House and Justice Department in the alleged conspiracy. So all of that has been taken out, and what's left is a story of a candidate for office who conspired with people involved in his campaign to plot to overturn the election results. And it's a statement made by Jack Smith that he believed he has enough evidence, which he's presented, he says, to a new grand jury to still convict Trump absent all the things that the Supreme Court said would be subject to presidential immunity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he's saying that Trump wasn't acting as president when he did the things that he's accused of doing. Right, But he wasn't. Actually he was a wow. That's that's interesting, and it.
Speaker 9: Really points up, you know, a potential vulnerability for Jacksmith here, which is the argument that if Trump's defense lawyers are sure to make, which is that you can't separate the things that Trump did as a candidate from his actions as present while this indictment makes that attempt. And ultimately it'll be up to Judge Tanya Chuckin to decide one way or another and then potentially have it appealed to the d C.
Speaker 3: Circuit Court, maybe even the Supreme Court.
Speaker 9: Look lots of questions about what happens next, about the timeline, about you know, how it implicates the election, and how the election could implicate the case.
Speaker 3: There's no way to know what's going to happen next.
Speaker 9: The immediate first step would be an arraignment under this new superseding indictment. The Special Council's office said yesterday in a filing that Trump need not appear in court for that.
Speaker 3: We'll see if he takes them up on that or not.
Speaker 9: It's up to him, Okay, Ultimately, well, it was obviously just going to say, ultimately, how soon this moves to be in front of a jury is very much an open question.
Speaker 3: Nobody knows the answer to that this point, so we don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't even know if he would potentially have a court date before the election.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think it's highly unlikely that this will wind up before a jury for the election. There could be hearings and other things that will be of interest, but I don't know that the case is really going to get underway in earnest.
Speaker 3: I'd be very very surprised.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's so hard to keep all of these charges against Trump's stake clear. Could the lawyers also go back and do what they did in the classified documents cases, say that Jack Smith's appointment was unconstitutional.
Speaker 9: They can try that, but it has been tried before in the DC Circuit, which would involve the DC District Court, and it has failed. That arguments failed in the past, not most recently involving Jack Smith, but Robert Muller years ago, and it failed. Because you know, most judges and courts have looked at this question say a couple of things. One is they respect the statute the Congress passed that gives the Attorney General the power to appoint attorneys within the Justice Department to carry forward to certain cases, and they say that the tradition and experience, the history of Special councils over decades would demonstrate that there is this understood authority that Congress has funded with appropriations. But the argument in Florida was accepted by Judge Cannon in that case that Jack Smith acting as the Special Council violates the Constitution's appointments clause because he was not nominated by the President or confirmed by the Senate. And so Judge Cannon is pretty much the first judge to say that conservatives are right on that point. And Jack Smith is bringing a challenge of her ruling in that case before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Speaker 1: All right, and we will be watching. Thank you so much for helping us sort that out. Like I said, this is also so confusing. Very thankful to have Stephen Portner to help us out on that one. Appreciate it. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA may turn to solar because of copper thefts that knock out street lights across the city.
Speaker 4: The city council was voted to have the Bureau of street light and create a report on the feasibility of solar powered street lights to replace the ones broken by thieves. Council wman Unsses Hernandez says the city should find a sustainable answer to the thievery.
Speaker 8: I believe it's time that we shift our focus on just investing imputative measures to also preventive solutions to uplift our communities.
Speaker 4: In the meantime, the city council also voted to explore etching its name on copper wire installed in La street lights, making it easier to identify in criminal investigations in downtown La.
Speaker 10: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Public health officials say the number of people in California getting valley fever is going up. Valley fever is caused by a fungus that grows in the soil, mainly in the Central Valley and Central Coast areas. People and animals can become sick when they breathe in dust that contains the fungus. Health experts say valley fever symptoms are like a cold, the flu, or even covid. They say the illness is not spread from person to person. An engineering report on the Men's Central jail in La shows it has some structural deficiencies that would not stand up to an earthquake. A report in the La Time says the feasibility study written in two thousand and six for the La County Department of Public Works shows one of the biggest problems is the jail doesn't have enough steel reinforcing bars to stop concrete from crumbling in a large quake. A lawyer for the ACLU tells The Times, if the jail collapses in an earthquake and people die, the county would be liable because county leaders were told about it nearly twenty years ago and didn't do anything. Nutrition company Meet Johnson has reached a settlement with the state of California in a lawsuit claiming it sold baby food without the required warnings for exposure to lead. Mead Johnson will pay nearly two million dollars as part of the settlement. California Attorney General Rob Bonta says me Johnson will also have to do compliance testing to ensure lead levels in its baby formulas are minimized. Animal control officers in Iowa are on the hunt for a water buffalo. They say it escaped from its owner while being loaded for slaughter. Officers shot at the animal on Saturday, but that didn't stop it. Some residents, like this woman say they can't believe it.
Speaker 10: What I mean, I was like, really a water buffalo?
Speaker 1: At first, I thought you're confused. Police rewarding the water buffalo is not friendly and say it has shown aggressive behavior and should not be approached. Good to know. I will heed that advice. This is KFI and KOST HD two Angelus, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer Ann and junior producer Matt. Also technical producer Kno and traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.