Speaker 1: Oftentimes it's not until we experience lost firsthand that we truly understand the value of life. Sometimes to understand the value of life, it means taking more risks, like traveling to a place we've always wanted to go but we're afraid to without the one we lost. But maybe having the courage to try could lead us to someone new, but not without some hijinks along the way. It's You, Me and Tuscany. I'm Ronald Young Junior, and I'm leaving the theater. All right. This is Ronald and I am leaving the theater after seeing You, Me and Tuscany. You Me and Tuscany Written by Ryan Ingele, directed by Kat Quo, starring Holly Bailey, Reggae, Jon Page, Marco Calvanni, Lorenzio des More, Aziza Scott, and Isabella Ferrari and per usual. For complete listing of the cast and you could go to the link in our show notes, I'd like to start this with a trigger warning before I reveal whether or not I have a guest. This is a movie about Italy, and at some point I am going to do an Italian accent. It's gonna happen if that is something that bothers you or triggers you. I want to apologize in advance. It's gonna happen. I almost did it in the theater while I was watching the movie, and I thought about it the whole time, but I didn't. But it's I feel it bubbling up. For that reason. I'm not here alone. Actually not for that reason, but I'm not here alone. I am here with.
Speaker 2: John glood Hill. I'm glad you gave me the trigger. The trigger warning is actually for me because I did not know there was an Italian accent comeing y'all, we're in this together.
Speaker 1: I can't. I as soon as they started talking and they got to Italy and it kind of became a caricature of Italians. I was almost in the film. I was, and there it is.
Speaker 2: And there's literally a man named Luigi in this film.
Speaker 1: There's a Giuseppe. There's a Luigi. It's it's it's it's all right there, Okay. So you, Me and Tuscany is a film about a woman played by Holly Bailey, and I'm definitely gonna slip on the call her Holly Berry at some point during this, so please don't email me. So it's about Holly Bailey, who is playing a woman named Anna who is grieving the loss of her mother, and she decided she wanted to be a chef, and she had done a lot of cooking with her mother. She was inspired by her mother. Her mother died before they were able to go to Tuscany, Italy, and Anna's going through a rough patch. She's struggling to pay rent, but she already had the ticket to Tuscany. So through some happenstance, she ends up in Italy in this villa with a fake engagement, and she becomes entangled with this family and lies in high jinks ensue as a result. It's a true romantic comedy. I'll stop right there. Jacqueline Hill, what did you think of this film?
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed this, Like I was saying, if you like two thousands, ram calm, like hijinks that style, if you like dirty macking talking about filthy macking, disgusting macking.
Speaker 1: Can you describe what filthy macking is? So?
Speaker 2: Dirty macking is like if you know someone has a guy or girl and you're like, I don't care, I'm about to spit my game anyway. That is, and the dirty macking gets downright disgusting. At one point where it's like Ronald turned to me and he was like, this fanc has come back.
Speaker 1: Really I did, I really did, because at that moment I was just like, yo, dog, she is engaged as far as you know, and you're just like that dog. I'm getting a like he was. It wasn't just dirty macking he was.
Speaker 2: It was like wild. It's actually wild for that. It was so wild for that. If you like those things and along with women who lie I personally love all three of those things, you're gonna have a good time at this movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, I feel the same. I really you said early two thousands, I thought nineties as well. It was zany, yeah, zaye. Hijinks, there's hijinks. It just feels like early in the film, almost as a wink and a nod to the audience. Neil Verdalos is listed in the in the cast. She's in this movie not very long. It's very much a cameo. But Neil Ardalos is my big fat Greek wedding and and it's almost like a signal to what this film is about to be because she shows up and it's almost like she's passing the Torch to Holly Bailey in a way, and so I kind of after that, I'm like, Okay, I kind of know what I'm I'm what I'm gonna be expect. I know what to expect.
Speaker 2: Now, and I hope i'm what I'm interested to know. What I like about this is seeing it before the hashtag discourse, and I think, like more and more we should all see movies opening weekend so that we can form opinions before the conversation starts.
Speaker 1: I'm a strong proponent of that. I told everyone every time I'm yelling at people, I come out of the film early, and I'm always like, this is one you need to see early. Don't wait, you'll be behind the discourse.
Speaker 2: And it's very much a thing of like rom coms require a sense of earnestness, and I am curious how people are going to respond to the earnestness. But if you love earnestness, if you love hijinks, if you love zany, if you love wacky, if you love people two people who are we talked about this before the movie a little too hot?
Speaker 1: Okay, and so I was wrong because so he did exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna get into the Reggae Jean page of it all. But he did exact I was like, what's the COMMISSI you're gonna like, is it gonna be able to do this? But he was exact exactly. He did exactly this. I think he's been trying to get off type sir, do more of this. I loved Bridgerton, Do more of this, do more of this.
Speaker 1: If you are a woman and you are listening to this podcast, and I have a lot of women that listen to leaving the theater, this is when you go see if you were into Bridgerton, if you were into if you like reggae Jean, he is he's playing the hits in this one. We're talking, takes his shirt off at one point, smoldering, looks long like lustful gazes weird. People are getting wet and people talk about getting wet like it's.
Speaker 2: It's the amount of why, Like just him pouring wine and then looking at you like what is this? Ah? Like I was literally, Ronald. I don't know if you saw it, but there were times I was giggling and kicking my feet.
Speaker 1: At one point, you were sitting there looking at the film and you had you had your hands in like a tepee, like just like all figures together, and it was like you had Martin Scorsese had, like cinema.
Speaker 2: Cinema, this is Cinna mu.
Speaker 1: Holly Bailey what. She has the perfect look for a romantic lead. She has it. I believed her. What did you think?
Speaker 2: I think so too. Also at first I thought she was gonna be doing a lot of singing. That was not the case. That was not the case, but one from her what and also the outfits like if you need Milkmaide dress inspiration, I'm like, I don't know how she got all them little milk made dresses in that little carry on, but she did what she needed to do. Like you're gonna people are gonna, people are gonna this is what's gonna happen. People are gonna watch this movie. And then the tourism board in Tuscany is going to do tours where it's like we're gonna do a You, Me and Tuscany trip tour and they're gonna gather all of their buff black men and they are gonna be oh my god, they are gonna be dominating these wineries. It's about the girl trips are about to be sick. The girls trips are about to be sick.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I'm glad you said that because I immediately thought that. I was like, there's gonna be a lot of black women in Italy after seeing this, or at least it's gonna come up in the group chat because one I mean the setting. The setting was beautiful and I sat there and I said, Oh, they're in Italy. They shot this in Italy.
Speaker 2: That was the thing. If you look at the credits, all those names are Italian. They're like, thank you to the tourism board in Rome, like they shot this on location the country of Italy. I feel like they're all in on this. They are about to be welcoming these girls trips with open arms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely gonna spark the tourism. The score in this film is doing a lot of work. It's almost another character because it's very reminiscent. When you said early two thousands, I remember thinking, oh, yeah, this movie is doing what Hitch was doing in terms of like just playing the piano at the right time, picking the strings, plucking the strings at the right time, versus playing the strings. Then a needle dropped just so many ways in which they were using the score to signal that this is your classic rom com. Do not expect anything else than a classic rom com here. As a matter of fact, it makes me wonder how it's going to be received. Well, we'll get in the ratings in a second, but it makes me I'm sitting there watching it. Even the part of me that's like this should be a streaming film, I had to push that down because I thought, no, I really want these movies back in theaters.
Speaker 2: I think that's it. Like part of me I was also just like, oh, I could have streamed that. This would have been a good streaming but it's like, no, we want rom coms. We want them in the theater, like this is what you do. There was also another two thousand's trope that was very like, oh, we're so back, and it's very much a skirt. You're probably wondering how I got here, and I was like, oh, I was wondering how you got here. Thank you for explaining that to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw that. I remember thinking as that was happening. I remember watching it being like, this is a different movie than I imagine based on what she's doing right now. But that also builds the remarkable heart of the film, in which they stick with the idea that she is trying to escape from her own life by living other people's and this this zany thing comes comes to be Missus Doubtfire a movie that is zany but still has a heart. It's still at its root about a man who just wants to spend time with his children, you know, but they couch it in this this zany hijinks. This is a movie about a woman who doesn't have family. She lost her mom, and like, and it's funny because I'm watching this and I'm thinking, I think the losing your mom trope. As someone who's lost her mom, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like I's thinking of you. When that happened, I was like, Ooh, is the movie like not it for you now?
Speaker 1: No, because it felt like it. I understand why they do that. I think it's hard to really quantify the pain of losing your mond until you go through it. And then all of a sudden, a lot of Kanye West made sense to me after this. And I know that's crazy. I know it's hot button. I don't forgive anything he said that's wild, but I'll just say there was a moment where I said.
Speaker 2: Oh, a heartbreak made sense.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. There's just a stretch of time in there where you could go down a very dark path, and I think this movie displays it through zany hijinks, saying that she misses her mom, and when you have a relationship with your mom and you miss her, yeah, maybe you'll go to Tuscany and lie about an engagement and get ingratiated with.
Speaker 2: A fast time she was when I think about it, like she she committed crimes, but like, you can do that when you're pretty. No, you can't. Don't take that as legal advice.
Speaker 1: You absolutely can't. I mean you can do it if you're pretty. Because like to say, all right, we're getting off top of I was gonna say, but the same thing that attractive people do, If less attractive people do, it's considered to be creepy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, no, get her out of my home. But it's like, oh it's Holly Bailey.
Speaker 1: Yeah you could stay. Yeah you'd be like, oh, it's weird that Holly Bailey is here, But I'm definitely not kicking her out. Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah. So anyway, so let's talk about the rating. We've talked a lot about the film. We liked it. Was there anything else you want to talk about? Movie wise?
Speaker 2: I enjoyed that all the men were jerks. That's gonna sound until you see it, that won't make sense. But all the men kind of suck and that's a little well maybe not all of them, but there's the men are a little dubious, but in a way that makes sense.
Speaker 1: There's nothing remarkable about any of them.
Speaker 2: I would say, no, no, we're going John Page is just hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's literally it. Yeah, he's not bringing anything other than hot to the table. Uh. And I think the other thing is, oh, there's I cannot remember the actress's name, but the sister. The sister is hilarious and he steals a lot of scenes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a wild girl. I will also say there is a Mario needle drop, and the moment that happened, I was like, oh, I know what movie I'm in. It's been a while, but I know what I'm doing here, and it allowed me. That was a moment where I was like, I am along for this ride.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of again in Hitch, Don't You Worry About a Thing? That part of the movie when they're on those jet skis and they're out in the water with the wide shots. That's kind of like there's always a moment where the movie is trying to tell you these two people are about to fall in love, and it's starting with this needle drop and this adventure that they're about to get into.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Also, that family was just so wild because there were so many times where like if things were what they appeared and be like, get away from that girl, why do you get away from that girl?
Speaker 1: You have no business talking to her whatsoever. Let's talk rating So me and you were kind of like teasing it a little bit, But with a film like this, it's it does what it does very well and let me just make you hip to this. The other day I saw Mario and the Mario Super Mario Galaxy movie, and at one point I'm watching it, I remember thinking, this movie can't be higher than the three point five because it can't do anything that it can't do anything that I would consider a three point seventy five or four or four point five movie could do in those cases. But it's very good at what it is doing. In front of me. It kind of like I sometimes I try to think of movie scores like gymnastics scores, where it's just if this is what you're doing. This is why Simone Biles was beating so many people because her starting score was so high that as long as she didn't die doing the vault, she was going to win, which is like it was amazing because even like, even if she stepped off the mat, all that her starting score was so high that it didn't matter. So a stumble is different watching a film like this, I remember just thinking in my head, I know what the max score that this could be, because in my heart, this is a this is an insane movie. There's just there's problems with it, but I like it so much that I'm willing to ignore them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like, so when I think of ratings, I also like I take genre into account. So for instance, I can't remember what the score I gave it, but I think I gave the most recent Bad Boys that came out. It probably have the same score as Oppenheimer. And those are like totally different films, completely different films, like what like not. They are both not gonna be at the Oscars. They are both not gonna be But it's like, I know what I came for and I had a ball, and you gave me what I was looking for. And I think that's something people I don't know. I think that's something that gets lost with a lot of like criticism, especially if like lay criticism, because it's a thing of like, well, why wasn't this Citizen Kane? Therefore it was bad? And it's like, no, the movie did what it came to do. Like, not every movie is gonna be like I don't know, not every movie. Not every movie is gonna be sinners. But that doesn't mean the movie's not good.
Speaker 1: I agree, And I also think that there are there's still a range of romantic comedies in terms of stuff that is probably better than you Me and Tuscany. But I mean you.
Speaker 2: Still thought, listen, it's not when Harry met Sally.
Speaker 1: That's that's what I was gonna say, Like, look at the classics. It's not gonna be one of those. It's not gonna be like a Sleepless in Seattle, which actually I don't think.
Speaker 2: People like it's not even a brown sugar.
Speaker 1: It's not a brown sugar. It's not even what's the other one with them? Oh, it's not a loving basketball. But that's not really a comedy, right.
Speaker 2: Horror movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a horror movie.
Speaker 2: I would say, is it a twenty seven dresses?
Speaker 1: It could be a twenty seven dresses? Is it a runaway bride?
Speaker 2: Is it a runaway? That is it? Is it a runaway?
Speaker 1: Is it a pretty woman?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Ooh m.
Speaker 1: I think Holly Bailey should go on all right. With all of that being said, let me finish. I thought, I think that Holly Bailey should go on a run of romantic comedies right now. I think she should be trying to get these at least try to get another couple. Whatever. But with all of that being said, what do you rate this movie out of five stars?
Speaker 2: I am going to give it a four point twenty five because I think it does the rom com thing it needs to do. Like three is like very average, Like you know, three's like a C. This is definitely a B plus. Like go see it with your girls, have a good time, have a giggle afterwards, be like, girl, we should go to a winery in Tuscany. Reggae John Page, do more of this. I'm trying to. I'm trying to. I'm trying to watch you, like I don't know like, take your shirt off in more things?
Speaker 1: Do that?
Speaker 2: Do that? We like it, do more of it. You're good at it.
Speaker 1: I give it a three point seventy five of five stars. Uh, I think that in my opinion, I don't think it could get higher than that, but I think it maxes out. I know why, based on what you explained, I think are essentially our scores are the same, which I know sounds insane, but based on you, our scoring get to say. In terms of genre, I'm still rating it according to the original scale, and I am holding the scale fast and saying that I think that a movie like I think that there are romantic comedies that do rise to the range of four point twenty five. Uh. And I just think if we're giving if I gave you me a Tuscany a four point twenty five, then what am I giving pretty will be a six? You know what I mean? Like at this point, so I feel like at that point, so I'm like, I always like to hold it down, but I don't. I recognize your score. You just explained why, So it makes sense. Regardless, go see this movie. It's good. It's good, and uh, it's it's black love and it's it's it.
Speaker 2: Really is it really but like it's black love but like very excess accessible to non black audiences, even though it has two black leads.
Speaker 1: They made they made a black movie for white people.
Speaker 2: And it's also like race comes up, but it's like very I don't know, very like there's an acknowledgement where it's like, oh, it was just you and me here, and it does come up in a discussion some characters have at the climax. There there is some tension, but I don't know it was done.
Speaker 1: You mean when he calls them a no not.
Speaker 2: Having that did not But there is a little thing of like, mm are you like and so I don't know it did a good job. Shout out to Will Packard for this one.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, well go see it. Wine is gonna be on a premium this summer, so just get ready for that and with that. Leaving the Theater is a production of Oh It's Big Ron Studios. I mixed this episode per usual. I'm working hard putting out episode of this show. There's a lot of coordination that's going on about Leaving the Theater, specifically working on doing more social videos, trying to get ahead of that. Also revamping Heartbreaker. I'm still telling stories on stage, so I'm working on that. I have a new top secret project that I can't even tell you all about because if I start saying it out loud, I feel like I will it will grow to a place where I might start to get afraid of it. So I'm just starting to do it, and I'm just gonna leave it at that. All of the contributions that come in from odes Big Ron help me with all of these projects, not just leaving the theater, but you're helping with multiple projects. You help with wait for It, you help with Heartbreaker, you help with leaving the theater, you help with this top secret project. You are helping me, and all of this is a labor of love. This is what I do for a living. It's a labor of love, but it's still labor. If that means something to you, go to patrion slash Oh It's Big Ron and become a patron, or go to the link in our show notes. Show art from Heather Wilder, theme music by the mysterious break Master Cylinder. For more information about you, Me and Tuscany or Jacqueline Hill, check on our show notes. You can follow me on Instagram, Blue Sky, TikTok, threads or letterboxed at Owitz pig Ron. That's at O h I T S b I g R O N. You can find out more about this show and other OIZ Big Ron Studio shows by following us on Instagram. At owits Big Ron Studios leaving the theater. Will be back soon. Thanks for listening and thanks for being on the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I'm Ronald Young Junior and i'd bah Ba