Speaker 1: Just great experience.
Speaker 2: So you came specifically for to go to school.
Speaker 1: I did. I did.
Speaker 3: I used to think I was a football player, but at five nine I realized I wasn't going to go and uh, you know, I was looking at a lot of small schools back on the East Coast and dealing with twenty degree weathers on a regular base. Decided from out my sister had moved out here. She was living out here and the only person I really knew. And didn't like it at first, but once I got involved with athletics at the UVE, it was where I wanted.
Speaker 2: To I didn't like it because it was too hot.
Speaker 1: A different world, you know, coming from New York.
Speaker 3: I was right outside of New York City, and you know, coming out here was a different world out here, different lifestyle, and the weather was war It was great, but got a little hot, but uh, you know it was different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, we're on now, we're not nick to hear us. No cool, Henry, Henry is the same way did you when you first came here?
Speaker 2: Henry?
Speaker 4: I know you came here for a reason, but did you have the same kind of feeling that that Pat did you know, kind of a kind of a strange place to be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I was coming from you know, biggest city in the country, so it's kind of a different vibe at for something to get you. But I think eventually you just kind of get used to the community and all the people and the cultures and yeah, yeah, same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, different world. You know, it's just totally different lifestyle. And you know, we've never seen anything like it before. And you know, food was always different, you know, and never had that Mexican.
Speaker 2: Food like yeah, sure, we had that discussion.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, I still today and I still order New York City bagels. I get it delivered two days delivery, and so I'm still in New York bagels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Henry, you two or no.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The the food is definitely a big adjustment too.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, you're a skinny you don't eat You're a skinny man. You're just a skinny dude. You just eat like potato chips and fries pretty much, I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, So great to have you, Pat. We're gonna talk about a lot of things big show today because of you.
Speaker 6: Pat.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know about you got some big time guests today, So I'm excited to be here with those guys.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure we've had them on in the past, and we always have fun with the guys. So Matt Athink is going to come here about three seventeen, talk about the best Well team. See what he's up to out in California. He has some some businesses out in California, so that'll be fun. Maybe give his thoughts on Caleb Love and the rest of the guys. Given that he you were, you already gone by the.
Speaker 1: Time he was there. You know, he got there.
Speaker 3: I was there through the ninety you know, nineteen nineties, so I think from free Man about eighty nine. Yeah, I got to see him a couple of times. But you know, I think the big question I was just talking earlier. You know, maybe he's got some shooting woes for our guys right now, and we always know him as a great shooter back in the days, and we'd love to get that back to UVa's basketball right right.
Speaker 4: So we're going to talk to him, and then at four o'clock we're going to go to Joe Salvas Salaban Saliva. I'm sorry, new coach at u of A And did you did not know him?
Speaker 3: I knew him through the coaching world. He was you know, he was after me in the early nineties. You know, so I was, you know, obviously following Juve, but you know, got to meet him as a coach and obviously followed his career a little bit.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's great to have him back.
Speaker 3: Sal was you know, brought that culture into UVE and obviously, you know, the coach told me of the Polynesian kids and he was one of the legends that came through UVE. And you obviously Coach Brennan's done a really good job of that culture too, So you know, it's great to have him back in our community and.
Speaker 1: Back to what he can bring to us, right, right.
Speaker 4: And then at four seventeen, after Joe, we're going to have mister Harvey Mason. Uh so you know see what he's up to. He did worked the Grammy's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a legend now. Yeah, he's a huge timer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a huge, huge in the music industry, a big shock the right, he's always been part of that. He's the president of the American Music Association or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's pretty high level.
Speaker 3: I think you know, one of the things you'd like to say, you know, remembery part of a Wildcat song back in the days that maybe got their career going for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't the RST that was a big part of the business right as band.
Speaker 1: I think it was in the jazz.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, of course the apple doesn't far for yeah treat Yeah, no, cool, great to have you. What do you think's going on? Just so we have you now just for a mineral minut or two. Well at uve you kind of like the resurgence maybe with the those guys coming back.
Speaker 1: I think it's a really tough situation.
Speaker 3: Anytime you bring a coach in, things are going to change no matter who you have. You know, we had a lot of kids coming back supposedly, but you know, the culture changes and until coach Brennan gets his guys in, yeah, we're really not going to know what it's like. And you know, we we lost some guys went to Washington, we lost a few guys due to injuries, and you know, obviously being in the Big twelve for the first time, that was a tough situation. So I know it was back against them all a little bit and our fans can you know, change in a heartbeat.
Speaker 1: Here in Turstan. But sure, I think we've got to give him a chance.
Speaker 3: I think he's done a really good job with the portal this year and he's bringing in some good kids. So hope for great things. You know, obviously have a quarterback backs always going to be a great thing.
Speaker 1: But we'll see.
Speaker 4: I think specific to him and what you just said is he's going to get his kids in. I think one of the problems and to me, and I said this almost every show in the in the in the fall, that there was a disconnect between the players and the coaches. Maybe him specifically, I don't know, but that was just my observation because they weren't his guys. They weren't his guys. And you would know this because although it's a different situation if your guys, if they're not your guys and they don't not that they don't want to play for you, or they just have a hard time adjusting to you, they don't play hard for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know you got to remember that he lost the strength coach. I mean he didn't get here till mid January. Yeah, Strength coach left, so your whole program's different.
Speaker 3: So it was a you know, shocker to those kids that had big expectations have a great year to play for a new guy. I have new coaches all across the board, new strength coach, So those are things that make it hard for young kids.
Speaker 1: And they just didn't respond the way they needed to be.
Speaker 3: And then injury bug hit the defense a little bit and coach Keenan did an amazing job.
Speaker 1: But you know, just a little too much for a first year. Yeah took as well.
Speaker 4: If one thing, two things, three things are off, it throws everything off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no question.
Speaker 3: And you know it's you had such high expectation. It's hard to live up to those expectations. And I think that's a big thing for a lot of sports teams. They go into the season and think they're going to be super because of the year pass, but there's so much that goes into the offseason and into that season. So but I think he's got to go in the right direction, and I'm excited about where he's going. They would have some some young young kids throughout the portal and you know, hopefully they can respond. And I think those kids out of staying believe in him now and want to be a part of his system.
Speaker 4: So it should be better at least than the surface. You'll figure that out. Okay, let's take a break here, come back with the matt Othick on the other.
Speaker 7: Side, the bang up job for you. In twenty twenty four, recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products.
Speaker 6: To choose from.
Speaker 7: Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look. In twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 8: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership, Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com. That's Volpe team dot com. Or called five two oh SIXE eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona KO nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, How to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with un notice.
Speaker 9: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime.
Speaker 2: Cards has it all.
Speaker 9: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime.
Speaker 2: Cards for their passion.
Speaker 7: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bcall five two oh seven to four to oh twelve thirteen, broad sponsor of I on the Ball, Got.
Speaker 10: Got Bugs, termites, bees or rodents? Arizona pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before.
Speaker 11: The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Each day features two games at eleven am and six pm, with the finale on March sixth at six pm. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium, located at the Keno Sports Complex in Tucson. It's the perfect venue to watch a league baseball talent from around the globe feel the excitement. Is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China and Columbia take the field.
Speaker 6: Whether you're a lifelong fan or.
Speaker 11: Just looking for an unforgetable day out, the World Baseball Classic Qualifier is an event for everyone in Southern Arizona. Bring your friends, your family, and your love for the game to Tucson this March. Tickets are selling fast, so don't wait. Visit World Baseball Classic dot com or SASTFA dot com that's SASPA dot com to secure your seats today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 12: The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The window depot more than a windowstore.
Speaker 13: Breaking down all the said. Oh, this is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back to Wining the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Pat Nugent from Mike Mountain and now on the phone we have mister Matt Optic not How you.
Speaker 6: Doing, I'm good. How you doing today?
Speaker 2: We're doing very well. Thanks.
Speaker 4: I wanting to get your thoughts on this program and see what you're up to up in California.
Speaker 2: What are you doing first? What are you doing first? And are you still got you know, twenty restaurants now, what are you doing?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 6: I actually am down to one. I've sold off two of them, just own Cross Pizzeria and Salona Beach and just spending a lot of my time watching my kids play basketball. So it's been a it's been a fun couple of years.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, cool, that's the best thing to do, right, you know, your Father of the Year trying to be so cool. So you have your sites. I'm sure you watch a few games from u A. You know you're still connected.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I can't. I visited for the Colorado game, and I was gonna stay for the Iowa State game and actually had to get back for my son's high school game. But I watch every game and still enjoy watching the team and really like the direction Tommy. Tommy has the program going.
Speaker 1: Matt, this is Pat Nugent Hate. I'm honored to be with you here.
Speaker 3: I'm going to graduate in nineteen ninety, so I was the UVE guy and I actually worked all the games back in the day with a football manager and able to be My job is actually letting their officials in the door every game. So pleasure to have you on and looking forward to talking to you here. But Steve and I talked a little bit about, you know, our shooting woes a little bit and being one of the all time legend three point shooters here at UVE. You got any advice for these guys struggling a little bit.
Speaker 6: Well, I've always said, uh, you know, you're you're oh four oh, so no matter no matter how many you've made or missed, the next one's going to be a make. And I think, you know, the biggest thing with these teams this year I think is sometimes shot selection, especially early in the year, and if they just take good shots, you know they're going to make them, and but you have to take them, and you should never hesitate if you have a good one. And like I mean, if Caleb Love gets hot, I think this guy's the limit for this team and he's taking In my view, he's played really well the last few weeks, and whether he's making them or missing him, he's taking good shots. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you think they get frustrated and avoid those shots when they're missing them?
Speaker 6: Well, I think I think that's the natural reaction to to not take a shot if you've missed four or five in a row. But you know, the guys that are mentally tough and can can fight through that are the ones that end up, you know, doing doing great and playing really well in college and then sometimes moving on to the pros. But our team, yeah, I mean, if we if we can make some perimeter shots down the stretch. I love the identity of this team has turned into like a physical, defensive basketball team and they're really fun to watch.
Speaker 2: No, you're exactly right.
Speaker 4: I think in the history of the program, which of course you know, I cover you guys in the early nineties and all that there have been few tougher teams physically tough because you really didn't need to be. You guys out around and outscored and you know, had fun on the court and defensively. This is one of the more physical teams because they had to be, you know, they moved into the big twelve and if you're not tough, if you can get your ass kicked right. But they've kind of met the challenge. They've met the challenge.
Speaker 6: They really have it. It's when I was there for the Colorado game and I got sat real low, actually on the floor and got to see these guys. I was shocked at the physicality and the way they they they play. I mean, it was a lot of fun watching a Waka and some of these other guys set the tone physically, and like I said, I mean, you said it were We were a really good defensive team, but we did it a little more with finesse and shot blocking. These guys, these guys will beat you up and from the guard spot they do the same thing, and it's really impressive to watch. And like I said, I think it took them a little while to find their identity and they definitely have one now. And it really flourishing in a really really tough conference with you.
Speaker 1: Know, being in the Big twelve first time.
Speaker 3: You know, all of us, youve a fans, you've got used to that Peck twelve system, and it was a lot of complain about the you know, the.
Speaker 1: Foul calls, the refs.
Speaker 3: I really think of a fan that you believe that veis really adjusted well to that Big twelve contact.
Speaker 6: I do. I think you know, they have the guys that can bang around with you, and uh, you know, a lot of the calls in the PAC twelve and ten for years were pretty soft, you know. I mean it was true. We got a lot of soft calls, and then when we get into the tournament, you know, they let you play a little more physical, and I think it hurt us for a few years because of the way they called our conference.
Speaker 4: Yeah youah, no question. It's funny you mentioned something earlier. Well, if you're a shooter in your zero, you're always thinking you're zero for zero, But here the fans are you're zero for seven. What the hell are you doing shooting that ball? You know, how do you think, honestly that's how they feel. How do you think that you would have survived. I hear it that you and you probably see it on social because you and Pete are kind of on social every now and again, and you know, Pete gives the guy's grief.
Speaker 2: How do you think you would.
Speaker 4: Have handled the social media today given the situation that you played in and even now.
Speaker 6: I mean, I feel for these kids. You know, it's it's really unfair. I mean, they're they're they're out there doing the best they can. They're they're extremely good players, and you put added pressure on the kids when when you're you know, hearing that kind of stuff. But I think most of them just probably tune it out. You know, they've they've played basketball their whole life, and their confident kids, or else they wouldn't be at the University of Arizona. But it doesn't help. I mean, it's tough on the kids when you know you're the narrative is this guy can't shoot, this guy stinks, this guy you know, you just hear so much of it on social media now it's, uh, it's I'm glad I'm not playing in this era. I can tell you that.
Speaker 3: One thing I would say, though, man Nil deals a change little bit. These guys are making a little bit more than when you were back in the days. But how do you feel about that? The way these kids are being.
Speaker 6: Well now, that part of it, I do wish I was playing. I mean, yeah, it's crazy, it's uh. I mean, I'm happy the kids are making money, and I think it's a little bit out of control and they've got to figure out a way to make it fair for all the programs. So, you know, some of these programs can raise so much money and then others can't. And you know, it's not a lot different than than it was when I was playing. There's going to be programs that are going to be better and because of the nil than others. But yeah, I mean, kids just jumping. I just don't like the jumping around. You know. I was proud. They've played four years at Arizona, and most of my teammates did too, and we had, I mean a dozen pros on our teams. And but but guys were committed to the community and they knew they were going to make their money down the road. It's a little different now and I and I appreciate the guys, you know, making the money because some of them will never play professionally. But they're still going to get paid in college, and it certainly helps their families and and helps them get started life.
Speaker 4: Let me let me throw that because we talk about that often. Okay, so you have you have a player X. I won't mention any names because it's openly all player X. You're getting to check fifty that whatever it is. Uh, do you think that at any point effects play? Because well, I guess what I'm getting paid if I played poorly or not, and you know you have can you have the tough teams Kansas is not playing very well. I'm sure they're getting paid. Illinois, Indiana. All these guys are getting paid money, money, good money, and they're not living up to their expectations.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it puts I think it's kind of a double edged sword. It puts extra pressure on the kid to perform. It puts pressure on the pressure on the coaches to play them. And so if they're not performing, I think sometimes the coaches feel like, well, I got to play this guy. You know he's getting paid X amount, and and sometimes the guy doesn't probably deserve to be playing h. So there's a lot of tricky things that go on with this money in the centil. I mean, I know, I know a couple of local players from San Diego that went that played here locally and then ended up at SC and getting two fifty or five hundred that haven't seen the court this year. And I mean, that's just it's amazing to me how they're throwing this money around at kids. And like I said, I understand the kids wanting to take the money in and how it could benefit the programs by bringing in the best players possible. But I also think they need to figure out how to get control of it. And you know, like I just saw a clip of Michael Jordan talking about how these pros now are coming in and getting money before they've actually proved themselves, and how they they didn't they didn't get endorsement money until they became great, and I think there's a little of that going on in college basketball as well.
Speaker 2: No, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you to because you played for him and you knew him fairly well, Uh, Lou, how do you think you would have handled this?
Speaker 2: Nil?
Speaker 6: I think it would have been really hard for him. He just he was an old school guy and he was like, we had to earn our way to everything. Every practice we were graded. I mean he he was doing analytics way before most people. I mean, yeah, he had a plus minus analytics system that we literally every single practice had to show up and perform. And if you didn't perform and you weren't at the top of that list, you didn't play. And so I think for him to just be throwing money at kids to get him to come to college and then you have to play him if they are getting big money, that would have been a struggle for him in my opinion.
Speaker 3: You know, Matt, one of the hard things for us to loyal u of a fans. I think the turnover so much. You know, you can't even get excited about our freshman coming in because you don't know where they're going to stay. And kid doesn't get off the bench, you probably assume he's going to transfer.
Speaker 1: But you know, do you see the one thing I know?
Speaker 3: I'm a high school coach, so culture is everything, But I don't see the culture in college basketball anymore. I mean, it's obviously the athletes are unbelievable, but do you see that effecting the game?
Speaker 6: I do, I and it's one of the things I hate the most. Just you know, not not committing to the community for a couple of years at least, and I mean it's it's tough for the I understand why why the fans get frustrated to some degree, because in Tucson, I know, well, that community embraces their players, and whether they're mad because the guy's missing shots or not, they love the players that come through that city, especially when I was playing. I don't know if it's changed some because of how quickly they exit, but I mean we had a we had a serious bond with that city and and it you know, it's carried. It's thirty five years later. I'm still close to a lot of people in Tucson because of my four years there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, it's a different culture. Back then, you guys stayed four years. We got to know you guys. You got to interview guys, uh you know, in locker rooms, in press conferences, and spend time telling your story. Nowadays that's not the case. You know, they bring them to us one or two players. We don't get as close as we used to, like you guys. You know, so that's an issue too. And here, all the while they need to sell tickets and the people who buy the tickets, want to know the players.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I it's it's it's treated so much more like you know, professional basketball now, and there's aspects of it I really dislike, you know, like I said, kids making money and being able to support themselves and their families. I totally understand and appreciate that. Some of the other things, you know, not being able to get as close to the players and letting the media you know, only ask certain questions and you know, not digging. Sometimes it's tough, you know, when you're a kid like I grew up a lot in my four years. They're having to deal with the media and deal with scrutiny and you know, answer the tough questions. I felt like it made me grow as a man. And I think sometimes now they're they're just protecting people a little bit too much. And you know, I know there's the social media thing now, which is out of control. But I'm just talking about you know, the local media and getting to know the fans and the media and people around there. I wish it was a little more open.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny you say that because I think Texas A and m I hope I'm not speaking, but their baseball program. They're saying, no freshmen can talk to the media in the whole first year, whether you're good or not good, or whether the impact the game or not. And I'm thinking to myself, that's not That's just not right. And I thought one of the things that I thought highly of lout with is that he let.
Speaker 2: You guys speak.
Speaker 4: Sometimes he was upset with what you guys said, but it helped many guys started started careers. You Steve, Steve was Steve and he became a broadcaster with Channing Fry now Richard Jefferson, Sean, all these people have broadcast jobs because they learned the game and they were able to speak their mind.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he wanted us in front of the media. He wanted us to learn how to to to be able to handle ourselves. And I mean, as I came in as a freshman, I you know, I came from Vegas and I had done a little media, but I was you know, I learned quickly, and you just you know, they they would school us on how to deal with it and if you're having a tough time, you know, they would help take care of us. But they didn't shelter us. And I feel like, you know, the it's not just basketball. I feel like everyone is being sheltered so much now and I wish it was a little more open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so are you.
Speaker 4: And now you know another thing, because you went to games. You've come to games of course, and I've seen saying hello to you a few times. There's no Vegas trip this year, which is killing a lot of people. There's no u c l A truck. You know, there's you guys. You guys in California. You can't see us. And you know you're a Vegas guy that goes by real quickly, go seees the team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well even the n C two A tournament, always looking because I wanted to take my son to a game and I see the closest, the closest it might possibly be is like Colorado in the first round. So yeah, yeah, I mean it's it. It was nice that they they're doing the u c l A back and forth and the fact that they were in Phoenix. I tried to make it there. Of course, again, my son had a game that weekend. But that's awesome that they're keeping that rivalry going and I'm excited about that. But yeah, I mean, not having the PAC twelve tournament in Vegas. I mean that was just epic. I mean people loved it there. I know, the fans and Arizona loved it, and we would sell it out. It was like a home away from home for all the Tucson fans. So you know, obviously Big twelve is a great conference and the tournament's awesome, but not having it in Vegas is tough.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you maybe the last question.
Speaker 4: You're I'm gonna have to date you here thirty four years probably thirty four years since you've been able to do it, which could make you x about age. And you have your pizza place, obviously you had a few other ones. How do you how do you keep that the juice of of being a competitor.
Speaker 6: Well, I now I've lived through my kids, you know, I and I love like Arizona. I every time the Arizona basketball or a football program comes on, it's like I'm playing again, you know. I. I compete hard that way. And and then of course through my kids. You know, I coached my son for several years in au and now he's a sophomore in high school and he's doing really well. And so that's been I mean I live for going to those games. He plays tomorrow against Carlsbad in a huge game in the Open Division of California CIF Playoff basketball, so it's it's his first taste of a massive game. So I'm excited for that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: All these guys who played now have kids play. So yeah, I didn't mention your age because I'm older.
Speaker 6: That's all right, that's all right.
Speaker 4: Hey, how about how about your how about your lobos kind of lobos?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the lobos are good. I mean another Patino don.
Speaker 4: Right right, Well, Matt, thanks a bunch for joining us. Appreciate you all the time.
Speaker 6: No, I appreciate you guys, and go wildcasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, we see you on the road somewhere.
Speaker 4: Possibly San Jose is the Sweet sixteen, so maybe take a flat up there.
Speaker 6: Yeah I saw that, so yeah, that good possibility.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks Matt, appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Take it easy, guys.
Speaker 2: Yeap, Matt Athick, thank.
Speaker 4: You former player at u of A late early nineties, and let's take a break real quick and come back and just shoot the breeze.
Speaker 1: If you're an.
Speaker 4: Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Lut. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email media Steve dot rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Ay Wilcat Nation, Jake Fisher Here, I gotta tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four A doh three five five one four four four four A doho three five five one four.
Speaker 7: Four four what's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 4: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance With the Edmond Marcus All State Agency.
Speaker 2: You're always in good hands.
Speaker 4: Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: Where do you buy exercise equipment Arizona.
Speaker 15: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 1: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 15: On twenty second, just quest of Wilmot.
Speaker 7: Tucson, It's time for the Colo Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Poloma Country Club and the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Conquisodor's Helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship golf at its finest. Don't forget to join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and Coet Sol live in concert at Riedo Park. The Coli Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting colorectal cancer awareness in Tucson youth sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by fallbamb Crowley Investment Group at OURBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 16: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, we believe less is Moore Lis Pieas need more money in your pocket, Liz Hasso means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future.
Speaker 17: Pyramids Lessons More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum permid Federal Card at Union where less is more federally insured. Am I NCUA an equal Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 13: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio just search Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve ever. In with me today is Pat Nugent and Micah Mountain. How's been in that state title?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you when you work as hard twenty seven years as a head coach, you know you dream about those days, but you really don't think you're ever going to get there, and you preach it to your kids, you preach it to your program, but you know that that night was special for all of you know, the Veil community, Micah Mountain High School being only open for you know, young Ben a varsity program for three years, so it was a.
Speaker 1: Great special thing.
Speaker 3: And someone that's worked as hard as I have, you know, to go out on top was even more special.
Speaker 4: You have a heck of a team last last year, the previously before that, right, did.
Speaker 18: You this is the thirty year or fourth year, thirty years of our So did you see did you see this coming three four years ago when you started the program that Okay, we have some good kids, we just got to get them ready three years later?
Speaker 1: No, I mean when you take over a program.
Speaker 3: We were actually a JV team my first year there, played a couple of varsity games just to fill in that. You know, that year after COVID was tough finding games. But you know, we uh my staff, a lot of our guys had left Sianega High School, which was a major program. We had done a lot of winning over there and you know a few semi finals, and we came over with Neimar Hasse who built the program and opportunity to just start a brand new program, build everything for scratch, you know, and you know, it was a great growing experience, buying everything you wanted to buy, share your money involved. But you never think you're gonna get there. You thought it was going to be. There was plenty of nights in that first year thinking what the heck am I doing here?
Speaker 2: I was just going to ask you that.
Speaker 4: You know Luke when he first came from Iowa, and I used this as an example, maybe a week or so into the program, he had his head on his hand saying, what the hell did I do?
Speaker 1: No question?
Speaker 3: You know, I remember sitting in my car thinking why did I do this? This is a mess, and this is going to take forever, and he just you.
Speaker 1: Know, didn't. But you know, we got to go in a little bit.
Speaker 3: We had a great group of kids that bought into buying going to Micah Mountain and as freshmen, we just built that culture. And that that year before was our first senior class, so made it to the state semis that year and they built that culture. That group was the first group that really built it. The twenty four graduates and you know, we had thirty one seniors coming back. So we lost the CEO in the state semifinals and played well, just made a few mistakes, but we knew with thirty one seniors coming back, we had a real.
Speaker 4: And they were good the CDO. There's no harm in fouling that because I went to that game. I think it was the CDO.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a close game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we lost too that year to them.
Speaker 3: We lost by two points the first time and then you know, twenty whatever, it was twenty points the second time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was they had a house. That kid was an unbelievable kid and he gladys that.
Speaker 4: You then, I don't know why they don't, Well, it's his freshman year, right, maybe he turns into somebody like a scataboo. I know it's it's kind of stereotyping, but he he's got that, he's got that something about him.
Speaker 3: He did, but you know, it's a it's a shock when you go into a program Division one program to see him on the field was amazing this year, you know, his first year out there, and hopefully he continues and gets that speed to be that that every day.
Speaker 1: Back.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of things I want to ask us, So you you must have had a player or two or three, if not more, that kind of we're special to get you where you needed to go. Because one, you have to have some talent. And then I've always, if I've learned anything in this business, coaching matters.
Speaker 2: So you have. I asked you about your secret sauce? Have I asked you?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: I don't think, because I asked Monaco about your secret sauce. I think he said, because he's you've coached with him, right, Yeah, And he said the one thing that you you have and you preach your meticulous and what you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we try to be organized.
Speaker 3: You know, we try to do everything about the book and then be organized and take care of that and develop relationship something we learned from Coach told me back in the days.
Speaker 1: With developed relationship and.
Speaker 3: Want those kids to go and if those kids want to play for you and play for your coaches, that that builds a big thing.
Speaker 11: Live me too.
Speaker 4: That's the number one thing. If you have good talent that doesn't want to play for you, what's the point?
Speaker 1: Without question?
Speaker 3: You know, we had tremendous talent over the years, but they enjoyed playing for us. They enjoyed our staff, and they enjoyed our our culture that we created it.
Speaker 1: What's there? You know? Once again.
Speaker 3: You know, as coach told me, you know, he treated everybody fair, you know, And I think that's the thing we try to preach a little bit. If I have anything I was, I always tell people I want them to speak highly of me when I'm in my funeral. So you know, if they like you, I think that's it. So I try to create that. And it's hard when you got you know, rosters with sixty kids to have a personal relationship with every one of them, and it's hard to get that with parents and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But you know, you gotta have fun out there.
Speaker 3: You got to enjoy working with kids, and you got to be enjoyed being at practice, and those kids enjoy that and you get that development.
Speaker 4: So did you have that group maybe a five or whatever that you said, Okay, maybe we'll ride the backs of these guys.
Speaker 1: Oh well, every place we've been.
Speaker 3: I I had fortunate to be with Kadem Carey and made it a state champion chip game when he.
Speaker 2: Was They had a group there though, too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with Martinez, he was after Martinez was after the game one year after me, But they had Robbins, Robin Josh Robbins was there.
Speaker 1: The Tevis Jared Tevis was there.
Speaker 3: You know, one of the great players I had with Aaron Tevis who went on to play at Boise for three years.
Speaker 1: He's one of the top players I've ever been around.
Speaker 2: The same kind of build as his brother.
Speaker 3: No, his brother brother was a lot small. Aaron was a six or four monster athletic for six.
Speaker 2: Old Okay, so that's why Tevas was probably a pain in the neck.
Speaker 13: He was.
Speaker 2: He had to get beat up by he did.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, he never had the height like his brother. Brother was a freak guy who has called him.
Speaker 3: Got a chance to play for the Saints and then got hurt and his career was over.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable athletic talent.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, So there's a lot of secrets to the success. And you coach them up.
Speaker 2: Coaching.
Speaker 4: They got to believe in you. Coaching matters because you can have a group of talented players. I'll say this Kansas right now. If they're not into it, if they're not you know what about me type of things, you're not going to be anybody.
Speaker 2: They're not going to be good.
Speaker 3: Well, you know we were talking with a little bit there, Steve, is that you know, the culture has changed, you know, you're bringing in these superstars that have different agendas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, they're not growing in the program, and you know, you talk about it.
Speaker 3: I know we're in high school, but these young thirty one seniors I had, they grew in the program and they knew.
Speaker 1: What it was like.
Speaker 3: There were sophomore Davis juniors and they grow. Now now you're bringing these one shot wonders in at the college level, and it's hard to get that continuity between the team.
Speaker 1: And it's hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you talk about culture continuity, and there's got to be some jealousy if Jimmy, If Jimmy Joe is getting paid one million and you're almost on the verge of being just as good as Jimmy Joe and you're not making one million, there's kind of be some friction, whether it's believed or not.
Speaker 1: It's the back of your mind, without question.
Speaker 3: I mean, you walk into the locker room a little different when Lebron's making a lot of money and you're just that fresh rookie on the team. But you know, you've got college athletes are pretty close there. There's always that one superstar, but most of them there for a reason, and they're trying to make it. And you know, ninety percent of a marketing to play professionally, their goal is to get there. But I'm sure it's hard to go into that locker room and knowing that this guy's making that and he's not passing the ball to you and you don't get that chance to score.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure it's difficult to this level.
Speaker 4: Well, Matt brought up a great point too, because you have the Michael Jordan's, Lebron's up that level getting paid because they've proven themselves in front endorsements blah blah blah. Now you have the young kids who are making x amount because they signed early into making money well without having to prove themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I met with the UVA staff a little bit before recruiting.
Speaker 3: They came to our school and you kind of talked just recruiting wise a little bit and how it was going, and then they said the same thing. It's really it's really difficult because you got a lot of high school kids now that back in the days, they had the dream to make it to the NFL, but they're realizing that right now they can take care of their families by going to college.
Speaker 1: So they're looking for that big.
Speaker 3: Payday right away, and then they get there without that.
Speaker 1: Chip on their shoulders.
Speaker 3: So they're happy to make whatever they're making, and then they feel like they've made it once they got to.
Speaker 1: The high school, I mean the college level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was something that you just said and I just lost it while you were talking, oh man. And it was not the nil thing. It was more of a they're making money. It'll come to me. It'll come to me, just just how how you're talking about don't get old, don't get old. But you know, it's let's move on from that, because it'll come to me at some point, Boddy when we leave this place. Uh, you're gonna miss You're gonna miss.
Speaker 3: No, you know right now, I need it. It's it's been hard, Uh there was. It got harder as we got older than times have changed.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: You think about when I started a ninety It was a different world back in the nineties.
Speaker 4: Sure, and then well I know before I forget this. Okay, So you talk about freshmen, you have high school guys now and and Patino said this maybe earlier this week, and I don't.
Speaker 2: Know how it's football.
Speaker 4: Why recruit high schools when you have a people you know, you've seen, you've seen played against other play other places. I want to play for you at you know he's at Saint John's. That's a providence or whatever. Because now, why why get a high school kids because they're not going to be as good as the junior guy once you try.
Speaker 3: No, it's really bad for football because of the number game right now. You know, basketball, you got five kids, so you only need one or two. But football is really bad. And it's really been a shame for high school kids at college because you coach to yeah, junior college, but now they have those two extra years. So that's a great avenue for high school kids to get to junior college, you know, so that that'll be a great place for those guys. But reality, for college football right now, there's no reason to recruit an eighteen year old kid when you can go to the portal and get any twenty one, twenty two year old kid. And the thing really really is these college coaches don't have time. There's no growing process. They got to win now. And you know, coach Brendan's been here one year and almost got fired, you know, so he's got to go. He's got to find guy who's going.
Speaker 1: To go in right now. And I know he didn't.
Speaker 3: He had a good recruiting class, but the numbers weren't big, you know, So he's got to go get those transfer kids to try to win now. And I think that's definitely the hard part right now. If young kids don't have an opportunity.
Speaker 4: No, it's hard to feel sorry for them, and maybe we do, but it's the way of the world now.
Speaker 1: Way the world.
Speaker 3: And then you know, the like our young man Jimmy Leone just signed with U Tip and Jimmy's going to do a great job and it's going to be hard. But reality for the programs like U Tip and the second level is once you get a developer kid, they're gone. Yeah, they're using it as a stepping stool too if they have a good year. And those guys know they I've talked to many those small programs they call themselves, you know, tula program because they're going to send their guys for a bigger program once they get good.
Speaker 2: You saw it here and Kellen was one of them. He was at UTEP.
Speaker 4: You know, bet On himself did a fantastic job at you Tip. Guess what, well, now you get Arizona's coming. He's coming here, and you've seen here. UTIP is a feeder program for Arizona. Arizona's a feeder program for Texas or Ohio state.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a doggy dog world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough, and obviously the money is a major part. Sure, and I get it. Kids are leaving you tep to go to money and then they're leaving you a to get more money.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tough world.
Speaker 1: Tough world. But as fans we still love it though. That's of course, of course.
Speaker 2: But you know it's called world too. Life.
Speaker 4: If you get a job offer X and you get a job in the oil passo and you said, okay, this is great.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm making money.
Speaker 4: And then some some some program or some some business calls you and says, hey, I want to come back, gives you more money, and then you said okay, that's cool. And then new calls you and you said, okay, there's a lot of money.
Speaker 2: It's cool. It's life too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And in the coaching world too, I mean exactly Coach Fish did and unbelieved job. We were devastated when he left, but I don't think there's anybody that blamed him.
Speaker 6: You know, you're not on Twitter.
Speaker 1: We're blaming him from where we're at right now, but we'll never blame them for leaving.
Speaker 4: Probably right right if you were on Twitter, you know that there were a lot of pulled off people.
Speaker 2: Okay, we ready to go get a minute or so?
Speaker 6: Yeah, like a minute?
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, No, that's just the way it is. So you're not You're gonna just relax. You're gonna chill for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll finding, you know, another opportunity. But I'm enjoying my afternoons right now.
Speaker 2: Does your wife love you?
Speaker 1: She does?
Speaker 3: Getting home and you know, I take care of the house chores and something I haven't been able to do much, you know.
Speaker 2: And you're gonna work more now than when you work to exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm getting a good visit at the grocery store a lot. But you know, I'm looking for the summer. You know, I haven't had a summer off in a long time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, looking.
Speaker 3: Forward to getting away, taking some vacations maybe and just kind of getting away. And you know, I'm excited about you know, things like you know, I'm looking at the UVA schedule. I'd love to go to Colorado go watch a game somewhere. You know, I've never been able to go away to watch a UV play, and you know, I go to a lot of all the.
Speaker 1: UV games, but I tailgate.
Speaker 3: But it's hard when I'm working on Saturdays and trying to get no sleep and be a part of that. So I'm looking forward to a lot of things that i haven't had for the last thirty four years.
Speaker 2: Dusty piece safe. It's not bad out here.
Speaker 1: Come on. Yeah, Dusty's living a good life.
Speaker 3: You know, he's got two young boys, so he's got a little different I'm gonna be empty nester in another three months and we'll see what happened.
Speaker 4: He's all fishing, you're all bright and grocery. Yeah, we'll be ready to go there. Let's go and come back. No breaking news. We're gonna get Coach Celibate here at four o'clock