Speaker 1: This test is a joke.
Speaker 2: H Skinner.
Speaker 1: Today I received an education and how children really learn by seeing their principal run around on top of a shipping container. So children, put down your answer sheet and drop that number two. And yes, I know what that means. I've learned so much today. This is my school and I'm throwing out the test.
Speaker 3: From a brainy dust god.
Speaker 4: Four Finger discount Ude.
Speaker 2: Welcome to four Finger Discount, the podcast where we review season twenty of The Simpsons.
Speaker 3: Oh down season twenty.
Speaker 2: Everyone's down on season twenty. Everything's down. No, No one likes Season twenty the Simpsons. It seems it just feels like this is the point where people. I was saying to you this to you off the air before I'm down it. By the way, Oh I'm guy. Yes, I was saying to you that. It feels like season twenty is when it felt like people really genuinely stopped not caring about the Simpsons. But just maybe you're caring as the word.
Speaker 3: Well, you're talking about people, we're talking about us. Yeah, we're going to be here shouldering the burden for all us sinners. We're going to be looking through season twenty.
Speaker 2: Each and every episode digging in.
Speaker 3: The dirt looking for those gold nuggets of entertainment and humor and whatever, and I don't know did we find any, and how the test was one?
Speaker 2: Let's find out. We're talking about how the test was one, by the way, how the test was one? Indeed, Now, before we get into this review, though, yesterday was April Fool's Day, I want to throw an apology out of everyone who follows our page. And I felt very bad when I wrote it. I felt even worse when I clicked post. But essentially I wrote an April Fools stroke that said the Simpsons Hit and Run is finally getting a sequel. Now, if you're a Simpsons fan, that's the one thing you don't really joke about. But I thought, you know what, screw it, I'm going to do it anyway. You went there, I did. I went there and people weren't impressed. We didn't lose followers, which is good. That is good. We don't want to be losing anything. We don't want to be losing any indeed. But the thing is that I just wanted to throw an apology at to everyone who was fooled by it, because you know, I felt bad. But it is April Fool's Day, and the purpose of April Fol's Day is to make fools of people. Were you April fooled at all by the by anybody? No? Not really, I think I did it was it's a funny story for continuing. No, I don't have it.
Speaker 3: I don't have an ending funny to say, as you know, So tell us your funny story. You you fooled someone or you got full I got fooled. Yeah, so this will be extra in a place that I never thought I'd be fooled.
Speaker 2: Right. Oh, So I took Elliott to school. He goes to a primary school, local primary school, and he always wants to do is play footy. That kid all he wanted to do was be outside in the over playing footy. He's great at school. I shipped it to Elliot. By the way, so his expected range of reading is to be between one hundred and eighteen hundred and twenty four or something two hundred and seventy gosh, maths range was like between one hundred and twenty one hundred and forty three hundred and thirteen. That's like, well, not Elliott.
Speaker 3: I don't understand any of those numbers, but they sound like his numbers are higher than expect your brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's doing well in the classroom and he's smashing it in sport as well. The pe teacher was like, this kid unbelievable. Anyway, if you love early so much when you're marrying, I mean that's his son. A little bit weird, but anyway, Yeah, so he's doing all he wants to do ab outside kicking the footy, right, so then I'd rather be doing this run. I dropped him off. He's walking into his classroom as I'm walking out with the parent with the parents, the teacher. So the principal of the primary school shout out to mister Holloway, fantastic. Principle, could not think any more highly of him. He's just he's great at what he does, right, he has known how as we're saying tension, kids don't forget, as we discussed in the newsletter this week, which kids don't read the newsletters. Obviously, as we discussed the newsletter this week, today, there will be no playtime on the oval. Oval is out of hounds and be no outside play. As we discussed, we're going to be practicing homework club during recess and lunch break. Parents all look at each other going, wait, what what what? What? What was? What? What? What newsletter? When was this said? Some parents start storming to the to the So even I was annoyed as well. So I caught Nick on the phone going did I let the kids outside? Can you believe this? What's going on here? That's outrageous? How are we supposed to make Ali want to do homework when the homework is sort of joined with not being able to go outside and play. So I go home and I didn't find it that the parents going there TI later on. So I go home angry, right, and I'm sitting and thinking, oh, well, he'll be fine. All the other kids will be outside either. I pick him up and I'm like, so did you to stay inside? Old? He goes no, it was mister Holloway. On April four. He got me.
Speaker 1: He got me.
Speaker 2: Good. April four though, that's pretty good. I've never known a teacher principal to do that.
Speaker 3: Well, you're right, because you don't expect it from that particular framework. I trusted you with my child's education and my own sense of you, and.
Speaker 2: He got me as well. I was like, what a joke, Well done, mate, Well done, sir.
Speaker 3: We don't do it too often, or maybe you do it too often, but Principal Holloway, what a lord.
Speaker 2: So we're here today. But actually one more thing. We've got Jet here. Jet has returned. So I actually think I mentioned the podcast that Jet was put to sleep just past aw ways ago. So there's been a tough time here at Fourthing a Discount, which is why things have been late and whatnot. So I apologize for that. But Jet, you can see you on the camera about him cremated. He's only in his little cardboardox at the moment. He's proper cremation boxes on its way. But yeah, shirt to Jetty, he's here with us.
Speaker 3: I'm wonder if I should make a joke that is in semi bad taste. You know how much I love Jet Way for it. It's like my dog's a box.
Speaker 2: A box anyway, but Ali and I'd love it. Takes the box to put it next to his bed at night, and I should hope. So, So Jet's been here since the beginning of Fourthing a Discount and it wouldn't be the same without him. Last week had to record a show without him and just felt weird. So he'll be here with us every single episode on the table here. That's true.
Speaker 3: I had to do a bunch of farting in the in the studio to sort of make up for the absence of Jet. I have my former cats, Jackson and Charlie in little boxes like this, little containers.
Speaker 2: It's good to have our pals around it is. Indeed. Yeah, good boy Jet, Yes, good boy Jet. Indeed. So how the test was one? This was an episode that I actually didn't mind actually to all that much. I thought the Homer story was actually quite obvious, but still quite entertaining. I would have preferred. So the basic just of the episode is what happens. What happens in the episode is Homer forgets to mail the insurance claim. Is it life insurance, home insurance? What? I think it's home and contents? But look, why would that impact him off viability or liability insurance? Maybe? Yeah, he forgets to post it. Matt Marge asking to post it, he doesn't do it, and he must go a day without hurting himself because he's now financially liable for his own injuries. Meanwhile, the school has organized the I think it's the Vice president Academic test or something along those lines, and they send all Enough he's out with Skinner to Capital City to prevent them from bringing down them the average the scores average because it dictates how much money, how much school funding they get. Unfortunately, Lisa is even struggling with the test, so we see Lisa struggling with the test as well. So the Homer story, as I mentioned here, was not posting in life insurance. I actually quite enjoyed this. I would have preferred if it was more focused on him not injuring himself, but I think they kind of got the out of the way early. And actually it wasn't terrible him trying to prevent other people from getting hurt in his house. I was all for that.
Speaker 3: I thought that was, actually, yeah, a better element of the story, did you ak? I thought they actually did that really well, and it wasn't something that I expected. And it's always good to be surprised, except, you know, when you're taking your kid to school and they're told.
Speaker 2: They've got homework club rather than playtime. I heard homework Coluver. I was like, what is going on here? Mather Bridge is going to share? Yes, so yeah, but I hear what you're saying too. And it also kind of makes sense that Homer would want to lay low. He wouldn't want to be out living a normal day, you know, potentially potentially hurting himself. That he realizes he's made it to work, Oh I missed this, So he doesn't go to where he goes home? Well, yeah, but that's pretty much part of the course. Does he actually still work? Does he actually have a job yet? So for him to make.
Speaker 3: His way back from the plant to because where he's trying to drop it off at the actual office, and they're saying.
Speaker 2: So that's one of my trivia questions. Why was the guy out back at three pm? Oh no, he's back at three pm. No idea, stopping his daughter's wedding. That's actually pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Shame on me for not remembering that or paying as much as close attention as I should have. Yeah, but for him to have to be yeah, not just in a controlled environment, actually out in the world where bad stuff could.
Speaker 2: Happen to you.
Speaker 3: But then even making it home is like, oh my god, it's even worse in here, or I'm seeing danger everywhere. That was something I really enjoyed about the episode. I mean, I'm kind of jumping on my favorite moments here. But no, I like the I like the A story with the whole testing thing, even the A one story or a minor story what with Lisa sort of having her rice, and that's part of the test, part of the test story, but it's also its own little ad dout.
Speaker 2: The Skinner story was quite fun as well. I thought, oh yeah, yeah, I like you know what, I like he In this episode, Skinner finally earned some respect back that I feel like he's been lacking for maybe five six seasons now. I'm so sick of him being the simp.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's very much that he's just the whipping boy for charmers, yeah, or you know, sort of being made fun of.
Speaker 2: Buy Well Barton particular. No one fears him anymore, and I don't think they ever really feared him, but now they just see him as a joke where they didn't seem as a joke in the first goal in the Golden Ear, he was seen as, you know, the guy that can get one over, but he still could outsmart them.
Speaker 3: Well, it's also yeah, back in the back in those early stages, he's an authority figure that you're making fun of, and there are.
Speaker 2: Risks with that, or there are stakes with that. Yeah, you know, but Wood pull his pranks or whatever doing graffiti, Yeah yeah, there's still a possibility like he's going to get detention or he's going to get punished or whatever as a result, whereas now just yeah, we just make fun of this guy and nothing happens, like Okay, well, if the pranks you're pulling, all the gags you're telling aren't super funny for us as viewers, that's the point. And I don't trust them to continue that onto the next episode. And even throughout the majority of this episode, they were still treating him the way they have been treating for the last previous seasons. But by the end, it's like our skin is using smarts and using stuff that you can learn at school in a cool way. It's almost like Skinner fail. It was almost like he felt cool again by the end of the episode.
Speaker 3: Well, it did, and it also tied into the underlying I guess theme of this of this plot line, of this test. Plot lines like this, not that these tests don't mean shit, but you know, if you're going to educate people, educate them properly and educate them in ways that are going to benefit them in all ways, And.
Speaker 2: Don't base your self worth on what you get on a test. How many people fail we call it, they call it high st they call hig school, they call highchool America. Yeah, fail high school, don't even complete high school. They're still gone to succeed. Of course, you've got to have the drive in yourself. You've got to also have a bit of a billy and a bit of it's well to succeed. But the thing is, if you don't do well at school, it doesn't mean you're going to fail in life.
Speaker 3: No, no, And it's incumbent and maybe upon the school system as well or the people that you have around you are sort of guiding your future. It's like, okay, well maybe book learn is not your thing, you know, let's find something else for you to do. What are you good at. Let's try and identify that early, and let's put you on a path where it's a wonderful, magical land where you know you can do what you love for a living or do something that you enjoy doing every day. What's that old saying is like find a job you love.
Speaker 2: And you'll never work at the right day. Yeah, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean I've always been a remind It's like, yeah, try and identify early what you might like doing and what.
Speaker 2: You might have an aptitude for, and let's steer you in the direction. We're going to make a little scratch doing that. One thing I also always try to instill an Alley, even as early as now, is the teachers are your friend. Don't look at the teachers they're teaching. You might be boring, it might seem they're being mean, but they are doing it because they want you to succeed. They want you to learn. Their goal in life is to help you achieve goals in life. That's they go to school so they can teach you things. So Elliott, he always respects a teacher, even more so in high school. I think we're in high school. Yeah, I know everything. I'm a teenager. By the time we get to year twelve here in a stride, we get to year twelve. By time you get year even year twelve, you realize those teachers that we hated, they're actually really great and they just want us to succeed and they want the best for us. How it would just be nice to them? I remember in year twelve. We're friends of all the teachers. You realize, Oh fuck, without these guys, we're nothing, you know, we need these people. Yeah, so always look, always respect your teachers. That's what I try to say to Elliott. Teachers are there for a reason. They want you to succeed. That's their goal in life. It should be yours to make their life easier as a result. It's a good philosophy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my favorite.
Speaker 2: What were your favorite moments from the episode. I had a few lines that I really enjoyed. I really liked Helen love Joy Forever, the gossiper right talking about Kleidus. I just love that she's feeding his slop to another woman's pick. It's like there's double meetings there. But I liked it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean that whole book club meeting turning into a Final Destination sequel.
Speaker 2: I thought was pretty good. Yeah. Oh I didn't even pick up on that as well. Yeah, every sort of mask I saw your post about Final Destination six. Is it five or six? Yeah? It's five films, I think, isn't there now.
Speaker 3: They've made five films and now they're doing it's not been a number. It's called Final Destination Bloodlines.
Speaker 2: I am going to have a marathon of these movies. I'm gonna sit there mondaychoose, and I'm going to watch them all because I remember loving the first one. The second one still haunts me, haunts everybody. No, everyone always says, you can't drive down the highway behind a truck. Just can't be done anymore. Don't do it whenever someone is mowing the lawn. Always, I'm gonna get a thing in my eye. Like Final Destination films, they're great, they grew up and down in quality, but the premise is so it's ludicrous but also so ingenious genius as well. Yeah, I really like FUD Destinations, so I'm excited for the new one. But i'd even pick up on the well. I don't think it was a parody, but it had elements of it. Yeah, it's certainly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I think they're sort of paying tribute to Finalist Nation. They're not being too explicit about it, but that whole everything around here could kill you at any moment that you know, that light thing could explode all over and no not just explode, but it's a big circle. You get land around my neck, and I'd just be right. So I love that and also the fact that, yeah, but it's all Homer's fantasy, Yeah, all Homer's prediction or whatever, except then Homer being Homer, it turns turns into a margin.
Speaker 2: Who's margin? Yeah kind of hot. I reckon that that would have been used in the commercial. You don't make those kind of joke unless you're going to be using them to the full amount. And I think that you would have just put that in a bubble in the commercial, gone margins making that Linds Nagle what tune in this Sunday to find out why.
Speaker 3: If we if we had social media back then, I have no doubt it would be gift or memed or whatever. Yes, I enjoyed that very much. You're right when it comes to lines more than anything else. I mean, I did enjoy at the very starts.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I believe it Skins that you're like, no, no, sorry, Tomer. I think holidays are over. They're sending the kids back to school or whatever. It's like you're a government's problem.
Speaker 2: Now. I thought I thought that was uh and uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the nice ruse that the school plays when they yeah, you think you're sending these kids off to what do they call it? A genius copts genius copter, there's conn air. Yes, all these are what shall we say, disadvantage you did indeed, I'm not going to do that. If I was going to use my analog of that word, well, we'd be in a whole lot of trouble. Yeah, because we're able to use that word when oldier kid.
Speaker 2: I do think that this is a bit of a retread on a previous story where Skinner wants the bullies out of the school when charmers arrive. Yeah, and they're all put down in the in the basement or something. I believe it's Duffless. Anyways, the episode when Skinner locks the boys the bullies in the room, Yes, and because he promises the promises mountain bikes. Yeah, at the end, what if they're dead, sir? We ride these bikes to Mexico. Really, but the bullies having like a little encounter group at the end of like or is that whacking day? Is it whacking day? It's where Barke get sent to the school. It can't be Dufle's because Dufless ends with them singing what is it? I'm gonna look it up? Look continue, look at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, there's a no genius coptic, there's a conn air because who's on the it's the bullies.
Speaker 2: And Ralph and Bart essentially on the Yeah, it was the same kids as the previous episode, except've added Ralph in there as well for comedic.
Speaker 3: Effects, of course, well for comedic effect.
Speaker 2: I do think that Michael Price, though, my man Michael Price knows how to write Ralph. I think Ralph was nowhere near as dumb down in this one. This felt very much more based on earlier era Ralph, where you know, he's singing the spice skills. Whatever, are you done yet? I was done before I came in that kind of ject. I didn't mind that. I thought, I just don't think he was as our words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a tendency to make Ralph, yes, completely ignorant, ignorant on a grand thermonuclear scale, where it's just like, no, he's just kind of naive and silly.
Speaker 2: It is waking day, by the way, it's waking day. I'm like, it can't be waking day now, it is waking day. So the entire waking day, the kids are locked in the room.
Speaker 3: Don't second hress yourself, man, So I enjoyed those all those things very much from how the test was.
Speaker 2: One and I also enjoyed it's just a couple of lines, and the last one here I've got is several. That's more than a few, and almost a bunch, just little lines like that. I don't mind.
Speaker 1: Next question you there eating the beast.
Speaker 2: Trivia time here on a four figure discount. My first question for you is what did the banner say at the school the first time we get to the school the assembly to announce the test, but as a banner out the front first day of school?
Speaker 3: Well this might be mine as well, if we're talking about the same thing. But is it about that super teacher, Miss Caldocott is now mister Newberry. That's correct, yeah, indeed, well yes, what was the new idea for Miss Caldicott? And it is mister Newber. My next question, Your next question is what flower did the library group remain? So I think it's mister Becker said, O deal oal for the dills A little sidebar. I had to fix a chance. So Elliott's in a house at school. Greenhouse is in they call the Devon Cross because it's the streets around the school. Yes, so Devon Street is near the school, they're Devon crops and kids put up I added, like an assembly on Monday afternoon. Parents can go few parents with that, and kids can put a chance in to having a sports day soon and one and the guy up there, the teacher, he's just like reading out the chance and he's that fun teacher, you know, he's like he's enthusiastic, blah blah blah. And at the start it said so c r O C S that the letter letters for CROCS right, and said our team is the best of the best. And he's like, I can't quite work out how do we do this? So cr o CS our team is. I can't quite work o how to do those letters in the chant. I'm sitting there, I'm seeing I'm going it's right there in front of oh, like I'm sitting now on just like cant say nothing that mister Halloway, my man, mister Hallway rocks up and he quite right. He's a reason why he's great.
Speaker 2: Right. So he goes to all the assemblies and he was just making sure all the chances that were chosen were the right ones. Right. One of the chants at the last chance was basically putting down the other color, saying Red's too slow and red meant stopped. Blah bla blah. It was the whole ways, like no nix and that because you know what we do. We don't put down the other ones. We just say how great we are, and you can say how great you are, but we don't need to put down the other house. And I'm like that's a fair point, right, But the cr O c S and sitting there and he goes, what the workshop on this one? And I was like, excuse me, end can tell you how to do this perdently. It's it's Brittandana Internet creative replace. I'm we are the best of the best with this. So the c O c s you couldn't work out had to say c r o c s in a chant. I'm like, it's c r o cs. And it was originally written as our team, our team is the best of the best. I'm like, there's too many syllables. It just needs to be c r o cs. Our team simply is the best. The hole it looks at me and he was like wink, And I'm like, and the teacher get the feeling. The teacher didn't like me correcting him, because he was just like yeah, yeah, and then miss is always like, yep, so just replace best there and replace it was simply, and he's like, I'll be showing a back here.
Speaker 3: You spent a lot of time on this episode justifiably praising teachers for all the good work they do. We also have to recognize that they are human beings, occasionally flawed, and they might take.
Speaker 2: Issue with I'm coming in and doing their job for him like you did. And he's reading back, that's a good chart. He's reading back through it and there's more to the champ but that was just the start of it. And he's reading back through it, and he goes so, I've changed this too, simply, and Miss Hollway goes in points to me, and I think the teacher was like.
Speaker 3: I think we all like mister Holloway, but don't be throwing your employees at the bus like that.
Speaker 2: Even the praise dander But yeah, so I was like, it's see, yes, it's obvious, it's right there. Well yeah, I let him get up. After the third time, I was like, I have to have to fix this. And after school, Alliet was like, was a way better one that you did. I was like, I know, son, I know, but that what we're doing that chance? What are we talking about? Chance for daffidils? Daffidils? Yes, the daffodil chant. Yeah, of course it does reminded me of that moment. I was like, I have to get that out there. I just thought it's hilarious. Well, your next question for me. My next question for you? What is the Blue Umbrella Insurance Company's mailing address? Oh, that's a good question. I'm not going to be able to answer that one.
Speaker 3: I had to do a bit of freeze framing. But it is one hundred balloon payment, boulevard b.
Speaker 2: Loo payment, balloon payment, balloon payment toa loon payment.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: My final question for you is what color was the shipping container that Skinner used where he was running on. Just turn the momentum around. I want to say orange. No, you said it before. It's blue.
Speaker 3: Oh oh well okay, then blue it is?
Speaker 2: It is? Yes, it was. I think it was like brown. Maybe you are right now you now you've got me second guessing myself again.
Speaker 3: Well that's the thing. You second guess each is nice, second guess you. It all works out. You're probably right.
Speaker 2: There's no video of it. I could go on Disney Plus. How about we just leave it and we just have it? The listeners like right in, this is right.
Speaker 3: This could be like that wonderful mean thing where it's like, what color is this dress? I think it's blue and yellow? No, you're kidding, that's gray and red? What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: It turns out it's yellow. Turns out it's the box is yellow? Even a dress? All right? So one more question? Can hit me? One more question? Okay?
Speaker 3: And they are doing the test in the classroom. What time is it on the clock when the test actually starts. Lisa looks up at.
Speaker 2: It would be three oh four because I form intes behind I thought it was ten oh four. I was it ten? What? I think? Three? Three? Three oh one? When Homer had hit Burns it was yeah, it was four whatever it was? Did you even watch this episode? Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in ad access to every show. New episodes of Tales of Futurama, talking side Fuld and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four fing a discount. Yes it is Patreon. Shout our time for our beloved top tier supporters here at four finger Discount, the Stonecutters. We love them so much, starting with the incredible Numero Uno herself. It is Kadig with her one one hundred dollar support. Thank you so much, katyg for continuing to support us here at the four finger Discount network. We've got new members to the Stonecutter clan this month. We've got Justin Parker and Chaney Maker and Ali j O'Neil is back as well. So thank you guys for joining the Stonecutters here at four finger Discount. Also shouts to our following Stonecutters. We have Isabella Murphy, Rach Beasley, Steven Robert, It's Sean DV, Pete Anderson, Timothy Belson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dentel, planned flood of Bello Window Bank, Jack McFadden, Heith that Willbee, Adrick McLeod, Mark Trelevan, Ginger and Pickle, Preston, Murray, Talia Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan, b James, Shephard, Joe Riedenseec, Dave Pretzels mcneally, Davin Lang, Damie Miller, and Charlie Joe. Thank you to our incredible Stonecutter supporters here at the four Finger Discount Network. Also shout outs to the following people who have joined the Patreon on the five dollar plus tiers. We have got huge ass Bonnie Lance, Morris, Mike Inner, Bart, Nathan z Trainiac Maniac, William Fox, Meaw Doogle and name Ahmad. Thank you so much guys for joining us here at four Finger Discount. Don't forget if you want to get your name shouted out on the show, you're just going to be a supporter of ours on Patreon. We do love each and every one of you. And starting this month, guys, we've been discussing with our patrons, we're going to be doing a whole, complete region gig of the four Finger Discount community and it's going to be as interactive as possible. So if you want to be a part of that community, the best community, the best Simpsons community in the world. In my opinion, you're just going to join us on Patreon. We're gonna be on there every day, chatting on the discord, in the Facebook community, in the community on Patreon, whatever community, whatever medium you used to banter with other Simpsons fans, We're going to be there. We're going to try and keep it as family friendly as possible. There's going to be no Shenanigans. It's just people who love the Simpsons bantering with each other about their love of the Simpsons and then some and it's a fantastic community. Here at four Finger Discount, I love everyone of our supporters. I'm going you can join those groups for as little's just two dollars per month two dollar redu is per month. So if you can, please sign up and support your pals. Guyan Dando here at the four Finger Discount Network. But now it is time we get into our review, Miss Davis of how the test was won. So the original air date was March first, two thousand and nine. Production code LABF zero two written by my man Michael Price and direct by the Lance Kramer. We haven't discussed. There's one more thing I want to disuss we'll discussed it in a second. So chotball gag, March madness is not an excuse for missing school. The couch gags, the Simpsons travel through iconic sitcom families and scenarios, behalf that the Honeymoons. I think it is the first one.
Speaker 3: Let's name those b Big Van Dyke Show, Bick Van Dyke Show, Brady Bunch, and Cheers.
Speaker 2: I really liked this. This was good, This was fun. It was a fun couch gag, having such a chase them throughout the different years and they being the nineties one sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think it's a good acknowledgment that the Simpsons actually does belong in that tradition of classic family sitcom, classic sitcom hundred percent does.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, the thing I was going to mention before we discussed all this, because this start of this episode, I feel this episode was the definition in a way of padding out a story. Oh god, yes. So there was a lot of montages, in particular coming from a few moments Homer's injury montage that went forever I looked at it. After that was all said and done, it was like three and a half minutes into the episode. Yeah, and we had an extended couch gag, and that extended montage of Homer injured himself. I thought, you guys are really patting this one out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my note here running along on material guys. Yeah, yeah, that went way too long. Did culminate in not a bad punchline, however, which was what a week? Yes, that wasn't bad. Yeah, But at the same time, it's like, I don't know if it's worth it. I don't know if that punchline is worth a gag that long. If we're noticing it, and we both noticed it independently, it's kind of like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm watching this going normally for a montage and might go for you know, ten seconds or so, or ten to twenty seconds. This felt like it went for a minute. It just kept going. I'm waiting for it to Andrews kept going and kept going, and kept going and kept going. I thought, whoa. To the point where you know, we had the thing in his eye from lart of the dance, they showed the entire bit where he's struggling as well, I'm going, yeah, what the hell's going on here? Now?
Speaker 3: You know, comedy of Fiicieronados may say that's the joke, but I don't know, Man, it just felt like it was stretched out way too much.
Speaker 2: I would have actually a pred what would you if they had the balls that just do an entire episode of just from that moment on the entire episode it's just injury montage. Yeah, how long would you sit there and watch that? Do you think that's a tough one? Because I mean that's sort of that's ball, that's a South Parks kind.
Speaker 3: Of that's going from comedy to anti comedy, back to comedy, back to anti comedy, back to Oh it comes like a not the not the snake swallowing its own tail. But yeah, some weird quantum physics deal when it comes to comedy.
Speaker 2: No, no, don't do it. I feel like modern audiences would actually appreciate it, do you. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think it's one of those things that's really good in theory. I think it's good to discuss on podcasts. I think if the people at Simpsons Q actually did it, we'd be probably lighting our torches and storming the build and going why.
Speaker 2: But do you think if South Park did it and say, season five or whatever season four where it's just clips the entire time. There's no new material until the end. Maybe Yeah, I'm very torn. As I said, I love it. Someone do it and then we can see what happened I and then.
Speaker 3: We see it like, oh, this is not what I wanted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I try it once. You can't lose any more the viewers anyway, can they Simpsons? At this point? Can they? Probably not? Right, So the episode kicks off with the happy New Year of school, not happy New Year, happy new year of school, and I get this now after school holidays. Last year was the first Christmas holidays where Elliott was home from genuine school, right, yes, And so it was like sick because I used to go to daycare over the break. So Holly still goes to daycare over the Christmas break couples like a week or so where she can't go, but Elliott was home for like six weeks and after the third week kind of going. I mean, I love spending time with Alliott, but it's like I need to get work done.
Speaker 3: Now you reach the event horizon, you're actually at the real halfway mark of like, I've had so much fun, but now I've got an equal amount of time. Yeah, I need to make money now and send you back to school. That's why I'm going to bring your daddy back and turn that into a job. So we can just make more money out of the school holidays.
Speaker 2: That'll be nice. Find ways to make money. Tough thing to do in this It is a tough twenty twenty five is indeed a very tough thing to do. But as you were saying earlier, you're the government's problem now. And Bart mentions here that your refers to school as a suckshack and he learnt that word from someone at school. Now, I like that they paid it off later, which we'll get to. Yes, So the insurance bill is June, and March asked Homer to mail it out, And I thought, how two thousand and seven of this? Seven? Two and seven and nine even I've even I thought two thousand and nine? Are we emailing at this point?
Speaker 3: You would think so. But yesterday I went over to see the beloved Margaret Mary, my mother almost ninety five, almost ninety five, running some errands for her, Like, guy, would you mind posting.
Speaker 2: This letter for me? I'm like, wow, gosh, I feel like one of those old cowboys.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like we've got a sack full of letters writing from a coast to coast. I've actually got to put something physical in a mailbox.
Speaker 2: Ye, guess what. I haven't done it yet. It's in the pantry. Pantries refer to it. I think you put in the glove in the pantry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do we still call?
Speaker 2: Do you still call them the glove compartment? I caught the glove box. Yeah, glove box. Yeah. Does anyone actually open their glove box anymore? Does anyone actually put gloves in it? Why is it called a glove box? Is that where it originated from? Do people used to keep their gloves in it? Well? I imagine that was the case. Did horse and carriacters have glove boxes? So it was like maybe gloves to Well.
Speaker 3: You're probably if you're holding the rain, say, if you're on a stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so was there a glove box? I guess? So? Yeah, should we look this? I'm going to google this.
Speaker 3: This is the kind of quality information you would tune into four finger discount for Impress your friend.
Speaker 2: Just google where did the term glove box originate? So the term glovebox or glove compartment? As telling you this originated from the early nineteen hundreds when car starting featuring a storage compartment initially intended for storing driving gloves. So I didn't realize people had driving gloves. Well, they were very back in the day. It's like, oh my hands. Yeah, the steering apparently everyone needs to use driving gloves and needs to store them in their glove compartment.
Speaker 3: Well, the steering wheel, I imagine, is just an evolution of the reins that you were holding when you were either horse and buggy or even just on a horse drinking.
Speaker 2: Horses panicked when wheels were invented, like fun, I don't need us anymore. No, we're gonna be glue.
Speaker 3: That's when they had to start doing tricks, diving up high platforms like shit, gotta upskill. This is not relevant at all to any of us oil in the twenty first century now, But isn't that interesting? I mean, I think we probably could have gone the rest of our lives not knowing why that compartment in your car was called the glove box.
Speaker 2: And now we know that's a beauty of having kids as well, because they ask questions, For example, what.
Speaker 3: Although you're about to say that's the beauty of having a co host who would ask.
Speaker 2: You there, Oh yeah, kids so much different. But they ask you questions like where does the wind come from? And I'm like, I said to Elliott, I should actually know this, but I don't know this, and I still haven't looked at ups. Why I don't have kids. This is where he just makes it up. What where do clouds come from? And I'm like, I should know this. Where does the rain come from? I'm like, why know it comes from the clouds, But I'm pretty sure it's because it's condensation. Condensation and the clouds get too heavy and that's why it comes out. He's always lightning come from, Like, I don't know, stop asking questions. It would be great if I was like, where does the wind come from?
Speaker 3: When you just go here and you let one rid, you just do a huge part and he would just think you're the best dad ever.
Speaker 2: So the kids love Nicholas scratching the back in bed right at bed time? Can you scratch my back? Mum? Mum scratches it? But we all love that. And the other day Holly dropped one whilst Nicholas reaching over to scratch Elliot's essentially in her face. They thought that was the peak of comedy. Comedy, couldn't get any funny out they They were laughing for about half an hour. Nicola, not so much. I understand, because you know, you know when someone fasts. But have you had a funt where someone farts and you can feel it like it's touched you. Oh yeah, that is the worst of the worst when it when you feel it. Not smelling, no, but you know what's in it. Feeling a fart is worse than smelling it in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely, there's microscopic. Yeah, but bits and pieces of stuff.
Speaker 2: Not only is it going to be in you when you smell it, it's now on you. Oh yeah, yeah, take a shower. No good anyway, moving along, please please move on. But we're getting back to so she's asking him to post the bill and the montages work, he says, for when I get hurt, and man, do I get hurt and we get what feels like at least a one minute montage of various grips of him getting injured. It went forever, It did go forever, indeed. But now it's the school assembly, first day of school. The library groups are no longer named after flowers named after the barnyard animals except for the daffodils, because mister Becker really loves his daffodils apparently really, And then they've got the Vice President's Assessment Assessment Test, not academics assessment test, No Children from the No Children Left Alone Act or whatever it's called. Basically, it's just I think there was a.
Speaker 3: I think under the Bush administration maybe there was something called No Child Left Behind Behind AKAY, which was an educational where it's like said, maybe you said left behind, I said left alone here, Who knows. I think the seems probably would have taken.
Speaker 2: It slightly ripped it, yesh. I could be wrong, though, but Charmer says, the results will determine how much money this suck shack gets. So I was like, oh, what you paid off? And they didn't bring attention to it. It was just it was just there. If you're listening, you heard it. And they start they said, for the next couple of weeks are going to be drilling into you guys or the facts all the answers for these questions. So you get it. So we another little mini montage of them learning. So in the classroom, so missus k is like we're gonna be reading a Kaka car. This just kept going like this is just padding right, Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what that meant. Yeah, the dodgeball guy, who seems to be a recurring character, now the dodgeball teacher. They get the answer wrong, you throw the dodgeball at them.
Speaker 1: Take your number two pencil?
Speaker 3: And what kind of pencil do we take again?
Speaker 1: Number two? Take a number two?
Speaker 5: Looks like you took a big number two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's quite so. Is you can see I'm holding a big number two in my hands, enjoying the weed and feel of it.
Speaker 2: I know this seems childish, right, but this would slay in primary school. The teacher are saying we're holding a number two. I think kids would find that funny.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, is there something we really use in Australia the whole bathroom code thing number one and number two sometimes.
Speaker 2: I know I've used it definitely in the past, so it's not something we say all the time. Aliot, holy is just either doing a wee or a poop.
Speaker 3: It feels like a very American thing, like so number one or number two. Actually it makes a whole lot of sense. Yeah, I mean, you may have kids are a bit shy. That's saying no, I need to go take a massive dump.
Speaker 2: It's weird. I feel like in life you evolve from when you're a kid. You nominate and you announce what you're about to do. If Holly says I'm going to do it, I have to do awi, or she just to do better. I have to do a weez and poos or whatever she's like to do a pooh, she announces it to the room. She leaves. Elliott. Now, since starting school, I think he just now says I have to go to the toilet and he leaves. Right. But I think as you get older, I now say I don't say I'm going to doing a poop, but if I have to just take a leak, we say do number one. We will say it's going to take a leak. I think that's our way of saying I won't be long. Yes, if you say I'm going to the toilet, then you say I'm back in twenty Keep it rolling, keep the show going. It might be a while. You watch your stories for a while. Yes, we'll come back to this one in a minute. Freeze roam, put it on. Have a look at some tiktoks. Yeah, so going for a Wii back in a minute, leave it on. I still hear it. Going to the toilet, push bores, watch something else.
Speaker 1: For a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes a whole lot of sense. The other day, I haven't going to the toilet. I couldn't find my phone. Nicholas like, what do you did your phone for? I'm like, I need my phone on the toilet. Do you take your phone to the toilet? I do? Yeah, you can't even recall the last one you went to the tour without using your phone.
Speaker 3: Well, if we're using the phraseology that we've just talked about about in terms of again, I mean I won't be having a Wii and sort of looking down. No, got other things to do with your hand.
Speaker 2: So it's a modern Because did you ever take a newspaper or magazine to the Oh yeah absolutely, I rem my uncle Daries have a magazines and I was like it was the best. Oh absolutely, I'd get long, I'd sit there for an hour. Oh yeah, god knows, I certainly did that. You look back and you realize, oh my god, there's so unsanitary. Even still the phone. You think the phone's right, we have the phones in our hand. Then we wipe our ass, and then we go out and wash our hands. We don't wash the phone. No, so our phone is just constantly when's last time you washed your phone? Our phone has toilet hand on it every day, not toilet hands. Oh no, because the hand. How many how many times have we said that?
Speaker 3: I mean, if you thought about everything that could just make you sick, make you sick, or just go wrong in this life, in this world, you wouldn't do anything.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna out myself here. It's been years since I have directly with my hand touched a toilet door handle. I don't do it. Oh really, yeah, just it's gross. Mate. If I'm at home, it's okay, right whatever, so be it. But if I'm out somewhere, you know little latches, we I get pissed paper, and i'd do it the paper. No, I'm still use my bare hands from that. I don't know. Even taps in public toilets, I don't. I use my hand my arm here and knock it up. I won't touch on my hands. It's just a weird thing for me. I can't touch door handles or the taps in public toilets.
Speaker 3: I think I'm taking it on a case by case basis. If you go into a certain bathroom it's kind of like, it's kind of gross. Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to be using the elbow here, or as you said, just grabbing a water toilet paper, and yeah, I don't want my bare flesh touching anything in this particular establishment.
Speaker 2: I can't recall many times when I've gone to a public toilet and it's been terribly gross. But I have to throw a local business under the bus here. Right, Adventure Park in Geelong. We love going to the Venture Park, but Holy needed to go to the toilet the other day, right, and the girl's torlets were being clean, so I was taken it to the men She's still young enough, she can come to the men's she's a cubicle anyway. And I walked in and this you're not just holding her up over a urinal. Have fun, good lick everybody. So I walked in and this smell was so overwhelming. I'm not joking. It felt like I've been punched in the face and I nearly projected I've vomited from the smell. Like you know how sometimes you get smells where it just instantly makes you want to throw up. Oh yeah, absolutely this. I have not ever in my life smelled anything like and I've later found out that it was the sewerage leak, but like this smell, I can almost smell. It makes me feel sick in my throat. Now I nearly vomited, Like my body nearly just announced it vomiting. It was horrific. It's terrible when that happened.
Speaker 3: Lou had this the other day, and I lovely Luis had this not long ago where she was talking about, oh, there was some event that happened. I can think about it, but if I start to tell you about it, it's actually going to try it might make me physically Yeah, I said, well, don't tell me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The two months for me with this one, I have not experienced anything like this where it just my body just tried to just vomit as a result. When it was called Eureka Nightclub, oh, I think it's called Eureka again, but it's now a fancy establishment. It's gone through a lot of change. It was a dirty nightclub when I was a teenager, right, I never forget walking in and the floor was just I'm talking maybe an inch deep in who knows what it was, right, and guys are just walking through it to get to the urinal gross and I remember there was like a section where it wasn't like flattered, so I sort of walked around, went to us a cubicle and the cubicle was overflowing and just this was the Eureka. This was the Eureka. I have a vivid memory and remember tell this story. It just makes me ill.
Speaker 3: Because again, sorry not to throw a local establishment under the bus, but noted Geelong night spot.
Speaker 2: Lammis lambies Lambi's some call it.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh after the senators. It's a below ground establishment and you walk down those stairs to get into.
Speaker 2: This place and hazard one o one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The last time I went there, I just felt this kind.
Speaker 2: Of coming out to us, like, ah, this this just reeks. Yeah, this ain't great like the Eureka. Maybe where the name comes from, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Yeah Urica Dando here mister creative, whether he's coming up with a new chance or you know, sort of urine based what do you call it? Variations on the on nightspot names.
Speaker 2: I have not been to. Nick and I went out for a drink. We got probably drunk about three weeks ago and we consider going to Lamby's, but it was it wasn't the right night for it. You have to go on the right nights for Lamby's. I think it was Saturday, and Saturday is no good for Lambia. It's either Friday or Sunday. I think for lamb It's not too sure. Maybe maybe went out on a Friday. I can't remember, but your Lambias is the place I used to really enjoy it. We look back now and think, man, one fire and you're done for that post. It's a it's a it's a enjoy your death thrap, ladies. That's really is it really is only one fire? No no fire exit, no fire exit. That joke not to the best of my Oh maybe maybe I think there is one. Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking sci Fild and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to her exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash fourthing a discount. But we cut to two weeks later and Lisa is excited because I was really confused with the timeline here. So she goes test day and then they get to the school and so did they take a practice test or something? Is that what she's gonna be saying? Because Bart I filled out my answers with this, and he says, You've got a perfect score, and Lisa's like, what did I get? What do I get? She's like freaking out over the score result, and I'm like, wait, wait, they're doing the test today. Did they take a practice test? And she wanted to get good on the practice test? Maybe that's what it was.
Speaker 3: Well, she's a bit of a bit of an overachiever, Yeah she is. Yeah, Dad, black Juise future, who.
Speaker 5: You know who will sell oranges on you? Off rand.
Speaker 2: Home and wwocking him saying who's going to sell oranges on the freeway now whatever? I'm like, yeah, it felt cruel when Lisa was saying the other day. But Homer and Bart can I kind of acknowledge this kid's gone. No way. I've set this level, You're probably going to reach this level. Yeah, and we can both accept that. But Homan then checks the pantry. As he calls it, there's a pack of chips, snarees eating some food and we can see the insurance are still sitting in there. They do the rule of threes. So he goes weed a minute, opens it up, gets a napkin, close it again, Weed a minute. There's something else he does, but he doesn't touch the insurance envelope. Skinner greets Bart and Lisa as they get dropped off and says Bart got a perfect score and I was about to write my notes. Oh fuck off, this is so lame, it's so stupid. Can we not go down that route? And Lisa only got ninety six percent correct because, as she says, she got ninety six and ninety eight ninety six of it, ninety six could be ninety eight. Let us know be blue? Who could be orange? Should we? What did you watch this episode? Did you watch several? More than a few. It's more than a few, but almost a bunch. And he says, because you've got such a good score, I guess on the at this test, but you exempt from the test and you're going to be riding the helicopter. And he takes them to the helicopter and I just.
Speaker 3: Got wait a minute, what's going on here?
Speaker 2: What's going on here?
Speaker 3: I must admit though, I mean, is it? This is where he's walking to the helicopter and the school band is playing like the Rocky theme or something? Did wouldn't you like to once in your life enter a place.
Speaker 2: And the theme song to.
Speaker 3: Introduce to introduce dando, We're going to play the Rocky theme.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, you need to get married, that's how you do it. What did you interview your wedding? I don't think we actually had music really. We entered to You're My Best Friend Queen? Like cool theme is? I know what you're trying to say? Though, usually like guys when they walk down the eye with the Greensman, it's like, what are they walking down to?
Speaker 3: Or yeah, I say I decided to I don't know, make it late career pivot and going to m m ah.
Speaker 2: What would be my theme music is? Can we Max? I entered to my wedding with my Greensman to the Degeneration an X theme song. Wrestling fands that they will know what it is. It's like, are you ready they know? But DX is a faction, a group, and we did the DX pos and we got to the front. Yeah, wrestling fans will know that. One fantastic. Uh listening to something I think it was, I've forgot it was Eddie Murphy, but he was talking about Mark Tyson. I think I was watching some YouTube video game up with or Eddie Murphy's impressions of various people. He was saying that Mark Tyson used to end of the ring and he never sung. He just had like one note, like a bass note. Just that's terrifying. Yeah, there's a wrestler in aw who comes out and it's just literally just and it's like, that's scarer than anything. Oh. Absolutely, I don't need cool fucking music. It's just the sound about. It's just doom. It's impeded, it's impending doom. I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it anyway. But yes, but they get on the get on the helicopter.
Speaker 2: Yes, they do get on the helicopter, which turns out to be Conna Air as you mentioned earlier, and Charmers also send skin out there as well. Because I don't know why thinks very little Skinner, they would have needed someone to look after them.
Speaker 3: I think so yeah, and yeah, Charmers, that's probably thinking, ah, well, another opportunity to get one over on this shomp.
Speaker 2: So they leave Springfield, which is referred to as the armpit of America's butt crack on the sign and Bart explains to the other kids, go the other bulls. They think they're actually going Tottle City. That's where they are going. They think they're going somewhere different though, Oh what was it? I can't quite did you watch this episode? Did you watch this episode? That could be a new running fit? So that he said they're going to be going somewhere and they don't realize this is all a scan, but explains it skinners circus. Maybe I don't know, but he says, they're actually going to watch the episode, so we're going to be hiding you all in Capital City. Meanwhile, Homer arrives at work, finds his ID and then in the glove box in the pantry, and then realize, oh shit, the insurance form still in here as well, so he realizes he's now financially responsible for his own actions. And then things start going wrong. I think lightning strikes right next to him, he starts panicking up. This is a fun story, but it would have got old by the end of it. I'm assuming him trying to avoid danger. But I think Homer doing a Final Destination parody throughout. I think that's that's a perfect They may have already done it, forgive me because I haven't seen them all, but a trios of horror on Final Destination would be cool.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, yeah, I mean I'm wondering what sort of comedic spin you could put on it. What's the premise for it. I mean, I think this is a good premise to sort of have that. But yeah, I love the idea of him just trying to avoid trouble or trying to avoid catastrophe.
Speaker 2: In the simplest of scenarios. Oh yeah, we wouldn't normally not think anything could possibly go wrong.
Speaker 3: Well, when we talk about those Final Destination movies and it, you know, just the real joy of them is, like you can just tell the glee that the storytellers have got into. Okay, this looks like the most innocent of situations. We're sitting here in Dando's podcast studio. But that light, what's the holy shit, crash bandicoot up there. He looks like he's help some spiky shit that could end up in my skull, all that kind of business, and just take that and you run.
Speaker 2: We want to get to hear? How do we get there? Yeah? Yeah, it's like putting together mouse trap, very much, very much. Those cool videos you see on YouTube where it's like all these different contraptions to get a basketball to go into a hoop. It's like, are they cool videos on YouTube? There's many cool videos on YouTube? Are they like like six? And it depends on you subscribe to? Okay, you want to get into the dark corners of YouTube, you know when it's like two am and in a dark corner, like how did I get to hear? And you're like backtrack from that video to that video. I'm like, how did this video suggestions lead to this? Because I watched this, all my suggestions is going to be about this.
Speaker 3: I watched one video saying the doomers are right, and now all of a sudden, there's just dooms growing all the time.
Speaker 2: Have fun or not?
Speaker 5: Dear stupid insurance company. I meant to mail this on time. What do you mean? Too bad? Screw you eh, yeah.
Speaker 2: He tries to drop it off, but he's going to be back in three hours or back at three pm. Maybe back I think it's back three pm, like a three pm, Yeah, definitely three Did you can watch this episode? Because he's stopping his daughter's wedding is the reason he's not there anywhere?
Speaker 3: Yes, we've got three pm in our heads, but it could well have been.
Speaker 2: Well, definitely three pm, because it's that three oh one. When Burns gets hurt.
Speaker 3: He's like, oh yeah, absolutely, but yeah, the sign could have said back in three hours, and we were doing the matter.
Speaker 2: It was back at three pm. Yeah, that makes more sense, doesn't That's why it has to get two three pm? Yeah? Did you even watch this episode? I try to, But then the pop plant drops on Homer's arm and he just basically tells the bruise to go away. So whatever, It's now time for the test, the actual test in the cafeteria, and Skinner Charmers tries to use some motivation by saying, imagine each question is a baby chicken. If you get it wrong, the baby chick dies. I would have died anyway. That's unfortunately the how did he reach this position? That's terrible, terrible advice. Yeah, I know that's what with Alliott with his goal Kynoe. I always say to him, treat every kick for goal like you're trying to win the Grand Final. And there's a lot of pressure in a kid. But it works for me because now he kicks and he's just like he keeps goals mate, Like he's just good at it. He's like, I try to pretend like I'm this goal. It might just be a practice shot after school, but I'm like, this has to go through.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's good that you were indoctrinating him from an early I.
Speaker 2: Might tugger Wood his dad and like the dad David Beckham's dad was just the prick because I didn't realize all these famous like MJ. Beckham, Tiger Woods, all these number one stars of all time, they all had harsh upbrings like their dads were pricks. Yeah. Absolutely, I don't want to be that. But like I just tried to say to Elliott, you have talent here, Let's not waste it. You know.
Speaker 3: Well, to quote Chris Rock, pressure creeds, dumbs not hugs.
Speaker 2: A lot of people quoting Chris Rock lately, and Chris Rock says this Chris Rocks, like, can we stop taking advice from Chris Rock please? No?
Speaker 3: No, that is full of good, good tips about some things.
Speaker 2: Certainly about some things. Yes, he knows how to take a hit, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Apparently Willis Smith referenced the slap in some songs related or released just recently, and everyone's kind.
Speaker 2: Of like, yeah, you should be really embarrassed, but you kind of suck as a result of that. Don't release songs anymore, will just.
Speaker 3: Be or maybe just go enjoy your untold millions place of an arts island.
Speaker 2: But they're four minutes late to start. Is like, go go, go, go go, And Lisa is just hearing all various sounds, and I thought they really captured the vibe of what you're doing a test when you sit in there and yeah, you're nervous, you don't quite understand one of the questions, and you're looking around the room and everything just seems to be like amplified or who sounds everything, It's it's nerve wracking. Oh yeah, absolutely, lot of pressure you put on yourself doing these tests. And you look back here and you think none of those tests mattered, none of them. Oh no, absolutely not. That. I mean, they mattered, but I would still be here if I didn't do that test, you know what I mean? Oh yeah, Why did I spend so many hours stressing about how I'm going to go? It didn't matter. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have an incredibly vivid memory of when I was in like fifth form or something and doing like.
Speaker 2: A history yeah exam, and yeah it was typicult. Seventeen year old wasn't paying attention to history. It didn't give a shit, and I was looking at this I don't know why. I remember this specific question was with like some historical figure in England in the seventeenth century or whatever. It's like, I don't know this at all. I don't know. I've heard this guy's name, but I don't remember a damn thing. And I was like, but I've gone George Washington.
Speaker 3: I've got to write something down. I can't remember, like me, what I wrote, but it was just not what was required.
Speaker 2: Well, they were rewarded for guessing apparently. Oh yeah, apparently I'm still here, so you know. So they're doing the test and Lisa I liked that they referenced Millhouse's eyebrows here. This is the first time his eyebrows I swear as appeared in a previous episode the eyebrows, But maybe it's not because I use this gift all the time with Millhouse's eyebrows. This must have been the episode that featured it, because I now that I look back, I'm thinking I thought this was a back reference. But no, Maybe it's just been such a part of my life that I assumed we'd reviewed an episode that had the eyebrows already. Could we had that feeling we had the Millhouse lower those eyebrows. But the a bit there, that's a gift that I use all the time. It feels like it was before this. It does, doesn't it. But maybe it's not. It's just gonna use it all the time. Who knows. But she struggles with the first question. She's not having a good time. They arrive at Capital City, which is the birthplace of Capital Punishment.
Speaker 3: That gig yeah, I think this might be the same. I've written a note here. They're lingering a little long on.
Speaker 2: The visual gags, okay, and that may be one of the ones where the sign gig yeah, you've stayed on this maybe two seconds too long. I should be able to see it. Wait what yeah? Yeah? As opposed it should be I blinkingly miss it. Yeah, as opposed to Look how funny we are.
Speaker 3: You're getting this right? Yeah, you guard it, you guard it.
Speaker 2: The kids are still all mocking Skinner, Ralph needs potty and Otto he's just dancing, and Odo is mesmerized by his dance. As we said, oo very expendable at this point anymore. You tell you what I want, what.
Speaker 5: I really really want?
Speaker 3: So tell me what you want?
Speaker 4: What do you really really want?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I want when.
Speaker 3: I really really want, So tell me what you want.
Speaker 5: What do you really really want?
Speaker 1: Ralph? Are you almost finished?
Speaker 2: I finished before we came in. They get back in. The bus has been stripped and stripped. Yeah, I thought Capital City was like the nice place. Apparently it's now the ship place.
Speaker 3: Well, every city's got the rocks. Wrong side of the track has indeed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Skinner's worried Tho because they get to the corner of Martin Luther King Boulevard and oars as.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Way, but that's it. There's no that's that's into the gag. Is there a joke there that I'm missing? I would speculate that we've got a whole bunch of white people here, and they are at the corner of a whole bunch of whe people right in the show as well, but that is.
Speaker 3: Correct, yes, And they are at a corner of an Hispanic and an African American part of town. They might be like, oh, now we're in trouble.
Speaker 2: They can't be the joke, right, Is it a joke. If it's a joke, it's not a good joke. Yeah, I don't know, just unfounded white panic. Yeah, it just goes nowhere. Homer is sneaking in the front door at home. You just want to hurt himself, and he tells margin needs to be safe or they're going to go to the poor house or back to the poor house, as March says. So she invites me to his book club, and he says, that's the most boring thing ever, Thank you so much. That's going to be I'm gonna be safe here, or so he thought. He walks in and he sees all he sees is danger. Yeah, and that's the thing. If you are trying to avoid danger, you see danger in everything. I can imagine living the life of someone who find us the nation, everything would be a worry to you. Like I can't walk anywhere. Everything's going to have an impact. But if you lived your life like that, like genuine, this is genuine life. Like that's why I find us the nation works because everything could kill you. Yeah, but if you lived your life worrying about it, you wouldn't live a life like getting into a car. They are a killing machine. How many times have we said this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so many variables in the way you drive, so many variables in the way other people do in the car, in the road, other people's cars, mother nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all it takes us a branch to fall in front of a car. They swerve off, and then that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I mean lucky you're with Amy, but sure, yeah, friend.
Speaker 2: Of the pod. But Homer sees Haling her hair catches on fire, which and then shoes get thrown to Cookie Kwan's eyes, and Agnes gets cleaved, and a Nagel starts kissing March and that's when you go, oh watch this go fuck. This escalated real fast. But Homer's just imagining Nagel kissing Marge. And yes, I said that kiss totally would have been using a commercial. Lisa is still struggling with the question so she skips the question too, did like this use what you're learning question one? That happens so often you're like, oh, but I couldn't do a question one. But this is where Charmer says, you know, you can guess. You get points for guessing. Oh you can't. You don't do it, nobody guess. Just be right, get on your knees and prayer to guy that you're going to be correct. Do just just pray to anybody skinning. The boys meanwhile still in Capital City, just running around. What was were they just going to Capital City? Was that just just go to Capital City for the Why does go to some of the park whatever? Who cares? So Ralph is now meanwhile missing, but he turns up on a I think just a garbage barge. I guess you call it? Yeah, yeah, barge. So they're called barges, right, sounds about run. Did you watch this episode? I watched her Just not know what barges are. I've always called it a barge. Whether that's correct or I don't know, I think it is. Maybe Homer needs to keep say for ten more seconds he's watching Agnes. She drops the cheese knife, like what are you doing? Women? So he picks it up. Then Nagel's scarf is caught in the nearly caught the fan, so he cuts that. Then he gets caught in the fan, which calls him to fall on the table. Picks from the cheese fall over, going towards Lwan. He throws all the cheeses and stops the more very matrixx Matrix X. Yes, and I did see a funny clip from the Matrix recently yesterday. Actually it was the news report to announce that The Matrix was being filmed in Australia, like a new film starting count Reads is now filming in Sydney. I want to say, the Gold Coast. Whatever it's called, it's called the Matrix. But so he saves the day there and Maggie shoots the knife out of I don't know how the knife gets into her cannon, but she shoots a knife out the window or something and it hits Burns in the head. And this whole next minute I just went this is gross. This is just modern day Simpsons at its worst. Basically, so Burns is bleeding everywhere, so lifts the knife out of his head and the blood comes out. So he then comes out of his nose. So Homer sucks on his nose and the blood come out of home? Is it? And I went, ah, we've done a noping out of that state. We need to really get away from that stupid comedy that the Simpsons does not need that at all. March March forgiving him. It was almost at the point where they wrote this line as if it was meant to be ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Are you mad I forgot to send into payment?
Speaker 1: No, sweetie.
Speaker 2: At this point in a marriage, a wife should know what her husband can do and what he can't.
Speaker 3: Was I to think you can nail and an envelope?
Speaker 2: It's such a cop out ending to this. Yeah, but the thing is they're just trying to basically establish at this point that we know it's real. Nothing really matters. It doesn't matter anymore. Yeah, nothing really metrics. Yeah, not really metrics. But then I did like the follow up though, is there snuggle insurance? Because if some I'm about to file a claim And I'm like, okay, at least it's sweet. Yeah, the word snuggle always gets me. Skinner then takes the bart slingshot and he writes a note they used crane to save the boy because the cranes are about to be I think the pianos are falling. No, no, swe something's gonna happen. Basically is gonna I think they were dumping stuff onto that barge. They I'm not too sure, but anyway, he basically wants the crane driver with the storage unit to save Ralph. He sends the sling shot hits the guy, which calls him to knock out, and then he crashes. And then the pianos are falling out the side of the shipping container and they're about to fall on Ralph. So then he skinner than does something that he hasn't done as a principal ever to this day. Something runs on top of the shipping container whilst is in the air. He uses centrifugal force, uses the momentum to make it go away, and it ends up tipping pianos into the orphanage for the musically Gifted. It all worked out. Yeah, a nice little ridiculous moment. But that felt like vintage Simpsons. Yeah. I was just about to say that feels like season eight even earlier. I feel like that feels like a Conra o' brian gag. Yeah, just of course, the piano ha'sall into a gift that the Ophage for the musically gifted. They're right back at school just before that, though, he's reading The Muckleberry Finn. So they're good book. Yeah, so they've learned shit. Now they think he's cool. He's reading them an actual book and they're enjoying that as well. Really greets and blah blah blah, calls more names. Not really that important. Lisa still doesn't know any answers though she can't do anything. Millhouse apparently finished it and it's slows two minutes to spare. Yeah, but rut it on his shirt to n't he or I don't know, you've got stray marks and he's wiping off. It didn't really go anywhere the Millhouse bit. No, really, the pass should have been that he wasn't answering them correctly or something. It was just sort of payoff there. But Skinner enters and says, this test is a joke. We're not going to be doing this. I now know how kids really learn, and he's schooling me. Throwing it at this test and basically just stopped in the test isn't important. What's important is how we teach these kids. I know how to teach kids now, which is a very valid lesson. He learned something today, sure, yes, and skin Lisa says, here, oh yeah, am my brain the outcast again, and he also then lifts the band on this is another padding lifts the band of dancing and they dance the footloot for what feels like thirty plus seconds if not more. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's really just the finale of yeah footloots, Yeah, right down to all the dance moves and everything like that. It's almost like a pitch perfect rendition of it. And there's like, uh, another musical outro. I'm not sure about that, but no, Footloose.
Speaker 2: Is kind of a jam. So I've never really liked Footloose. The song that's just one of those ones where I've just gone run to Paradise is another one for me. There there's some there's songs that songs that I don't enjoy that. What's the bon Jovi song that I don't really like? It's not is it Living on a Prayer? Living on a Prayer? It's just those songs where I've heard themselves and I go, it's just not for me. I don't know, just I know I'm not saying it's bad, but it's not for you. Yeah, Footloose? So I just go Did you even listen to the song? Yeah? I get people listen and enjoy Footloose. I've personally never seen the movie, so I didn't realize it was a direct reference to the end of the film. Ah, I think cause I've never liked the song. I just never bother watching the movie.
Speaker 3: The original foot Loose is kind of fun. It's very eighties Bacon, right, yeah, Bacon.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then they did a remake like in the two thousands or the twenty tens or something. Did they really yeah with Was there a TV show foot Loose?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. Okay, yeah, I'll take that back.
Speaker 3: The remake was fine. Actually one of the first pearances of Myles Teller. Okay, yeah, he was really goodn't it?
Speaker 1: Kid?
Speaker 2: Can dance Footloose? TV show? Is there anything? Is it? Was there a Roadhouse TV show?
Speaker 3: No, but there was a Roadhouse remake that was on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 2: Assumed it was a show maybe, Yeah, So when it's on the streaming service, I was always assume it's a show. I get where you're coming from, but your Footloose was twenty eleven. Wow, that long ago. Kenny Warman, there's Ren McCormack. A city. A city kid moves to a small town where dancing is banned.
Speaker 3: Apparently apparently it's based on a true story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the story of Footloos.
Speaker 3: You would have these towns in say like Middle America that were sort of like in the buckle of the Bible belt or whatever, and they were.
Speaker 2: Like no dancing at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had their reasons, and I'm sure the makers of Footloots just sort of said you can't dance. Wait what Yeah, it was probably part of some other overall statute or something like, you know, you can only dance in say it's certain authorized gatherings or something like that or whatever. It's like, what, you can't dance?
Speaker 2: Watch this? Wait a minute, and that's.
Speaker 3: What would happen. It's been a long time since I saw.
Speaker 2: Footloot, But well, it makes the ending makes a little bit more sense. They're knowing that's a direct reference. I'm just going, why is charmers just dancing for like thirty seconds here? Oh yeah, that makes more sense now. But still padding, Oh, definitely padding, Yeah, more padding in the Paddington. I think if there was less padding throughout the episode, this one wouldn't have felt so.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean they they've done this in the past with the end to the Mister Burns Larry Burns episode anywhere you one, what's that that? That's from Caddyshack, caddy Shack. Yes, so it's worked, but it's.
Speaker 3: Also a shout out to Rodney Dangerfield as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, because there's no really reference too loose throughout the episode at all? Is it not at all? No, not at all. If Kevin Bacon was a guest, start would have made more sense. Makers of the show. Did you even watch this episode? Yeah? Who knows? Anyway, overall, I don't think it was a terrible episode. I thought it was a lot to enjoy.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, well we certainly found a lot talk about. Yeah, I mean, even if neither of us watched it.
Speaker 2: And I think we just need to accept that every episode is going to have moments that make us annoyed. Nothing's going to be fantastic anymore. But just try and find some positives. But we will point out when things are ridiculous as well. Oh yeah, we have to. It's our sacred duty. It is our sacred duty to make you realize what's good and what's bad. In Season twenty The Simpsons, there.
Speaker 3: Are so few people doing that in this world.
Speaker 2: Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Scifild and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. What do we learn? Bomb? Would you learn this as miss Davis? Because I learned what a glovebox was used for.
Speaker 3: I'm very glad that we actually did a little dive into history and found out what a glove box and glove compartment actually the history of it all, that's fantastic.
Speaker 2: What did I learn that?
Speaker 3: While I would never take place I will never take part in any actual Olympics, I would probably get a gold in the numb skull Olympics.
Speaker 2: Yes, you wouldnt need I love you, but you would.
Speaker 1: From this day forward, your names will be all right.
Speaker 2: It is time for the Guy Davis New Name Championship. The current leader board stands at this In first position, we have Jared on fourteen points. His name is Jared Jame Mobby. Second position we have Phil Hawkins on twelve points, and in third position we have a tie with Brian Hughes and Clever Kyle on seven.
Speaker 3: Take it away, Okay, One point goes to clash test dummies.
Speaker 2: Oh that is clever Kyle. That puts him on eight points, which means he's atright third now eight points, but on clever.
Speaker 3: Carle continuing to bring the cleverness. Well done, Kyle is Indeed, two points goes to Schoolhouse Kroc. Schoolhouse Croc would be Brian Hughes.
Speaker 2: Hu's he Mian Hughes. That puts him on two puts him back into third position on nine points. Wow.
Speaker 3: It's like watching over wacky races or something, you know, at the end of the wacky races, coming up on third a second or basically any race, not just the wacky races. But one point, no.
Speaker 2: Sorry, three points, two points?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what am I talking about three points goes to save the last dunce?
Speaker 2: Said the last dunce that would be Philip J. Hawkins. I say that because he's now first physician, got that jack, He's got the javak. He is now on fifteen points in first position. Can you believe it? His name is Jared? Is like? What my name is? Jerry? What does his meaning? First? Please?
Speaker 3: Yes, look, sorry about the job, but hey, we've still got a few more episodes for you to claw back the lead. But right now, Philip Jay Hawkins is where he blows.
Speaker 2: He came back out of nowhere, So now on fifteen points outright first, Philip Jay Hawkins is back on fifteen points. We have Jared Hornby's name is Jared on fourteen and second, and Brian Hughesy Hughes on nine points in third.
Speaker 3: Philip Jay I always believed in you, despite what Dando says. But I believe in all of you guys, and every single.
Speaker 2: Boy is backing down. Correct.
Speaker 3: But we've got a terrific community of people who are contributing new names to the Guy Davis New Name Challenge. We are constantly to quote that guy who likes Donald Trump I'm in awe of your genius. And yeah, you guys are very very smart, and we love getting new names from you every single episode, but especially we love seeing the race that's going on here. So yeah, keep the coming.
Speaker 2: Indeed, all right, guys, So thank you for all of your support. He at four finger discount. If you want to be a part of the Guy Davis New Name Championship, just gonna be a supporter of ours on Patreon. I think for the inscription of this show. The next episode, as we mentioned earlier of this podcast, we're gonna be reviewing which episode mister Davis. Uh it is no loan again? Naturally, yes, exactly right, all right, and we're gonna be doing a review, a classy review of Bart's dog gets an F in celebration of one Jetty Pumba who left us a couple of weeks ago. Rest in power, rest in power? Is this rest and power? Well, there's all many I've never heard it before. That's good. Were all there are all all manner of rest.
Speaker 3: See rest in paradise, rest in peace or rest in power.
Speaker 2: Because dot dogs don't rest in peace, old dogs mane, but young dogs that they're back in there in doggy heaven, that rain very bridge, they running around, they haven't treats.
Speaker 3: Jet is frolicking in the fields forever.
Speaker 2: Is indeed all right, goes. Thanks again for your support. Don't forget to get in touch with this mailbag at four fingered discount dot com dot are you. But for now the steps any final words for those amazing listeners out there. Can we just wrap this up? I want to get back to the suck shack sh