Speaker 1: Tell me ye, Roger, then I so fantasy sat in the real history.
Speaker 2: Then tell me by.
Speaker 3: Perfect flexes to spinning gum and he can't get ever so perfectly. Today we're talking about mister Perfect here on the Golden Era Podcast with Shaw Mooney.
Speaker 2: How you doing today, I'm doing great, Steve. It's funny that you started that with the whole thing with the gum, because that's like the first thing I when I was watching some of the video and I thought that was, like, uh, such a kirt thing to do, because he was always chewing gum. And then he started doing thing when he got in the ring, and he would like spin it out and bat it into the crowd, Like what you imagine you're out there, Oh I got mister perfect gum.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna ask you that you imagine someone's like, listen, Jimmy, I have the gum, and.
Speaker 2: I have my own gum story. Anyway, but we'll get to.
Speaker 4: That amazing here.
Speaker 3: But I was always very intrigued by mister because honestly, he would throw a pen in the air, he'd catch it, He'd throw the gum in the air, he'd swatt it, he'd throw a towel in the air, Bobby would catch it. There was never a moment unless it was edited for TV reasons, and it seemed like he wasn't being perfect.
Speaker 4: Now for you, before we get into his career, I really want to.
Speaker 3: Talk about his personal relationship with you, because mister Perfect is one of those people everyone keeps talking about. But for you, what did mister Perfect mean to you personally? Kurt Henning?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I've mentioned it many many times. Kurt was one of my favorite people there there. I had a few, but you know, Kurt was just such a good guy and Master River, you know, that's that kind of was his you know, it followed him everywhere because he loved doing ribs and some of them went a little far, but you know, and when you just got one on one with the guy, he was always like really interested in what you were up to. He would come into the studio and hang out when I'd be doing the event center. He used to come in a lot to do promo stuff, you know, during the time when he wasn't in the ring as much, And so I got to know him pretty well, and he was just you know, uh, somebody at that at that level and and uh, you know, really take the time that genuinely was you know, just just cool, you know, like this would come in and just bullshit about whatever. And I also got to know his dad. I got to know Larry a bit because he would come to the events and was just always really complimentary to me. And I don't know why, because you know, I wasn't I wasn't one of the boys. I didn't, but he would always he really liked what I did. And so in a sense there he got to a little you know, I got to find out, you know what where how this all happen, happened, and and Larry was, you know, just a really solid, you know guy that you know, had had this tremendous career and and very much old school and you know, they growing up in Minnesota. And I'm sure you've heard about Robbinsdale High School, which was this uh you know, turned out to be this reading ground for some of the greatest professional wrestlers ever and and and during that era and and it makes sense, but you know people are so and Rick rude and uh, you know, all these guys came from there at the same time that during that you know, they're all within a fewer you know, five or six years of each other. And it was because you know, the a w A was there and all a lot of these wrestlers, these old school wrestler guys kids went to went to the school and then you know, they had an incredible athletic program there, as you can imagine, because these guys are all great athletes and Kurt was among them. He could do everything well and as we know with the Moniker and Bruce Pritcher tells the story of how they you know, came to the idea of him becoming mister Perfect. But you know, Kurt was just really a great athlete and really excelled at as an amateur wrestler. And his dad, you know, talks about Larry talks about early on that he could see that and and that was his passion from the time he was a kid. And I'm sure it had a lot to do with the fact that he was just around the business so much and that's what his father did. But that that solid upbringing and uh, you know, and that family you could just tell, you know that it was all about family to him, and these strong ties that he had with these guys his entire life, and it just made him who he was. He was just very down to earth. You know. He later in his career there he you know, he became really great friends with Wade Box, the great baseball player that was. You know, he inducted him into the Hall of Fame and uh, you know Wade was one of those kind of guys too, uh and attracted to each other in that sense. You know, they were like to hunt and that kind of stuff. But I'm the point of it being is he was just like this down to earth got all the fame and everything that came with it, and the money and everything like that, but he was just when it all came down to it. Uh. You know, Kurt was just a really genuine guy. You got you know, you got what he was, always who he was. You know, you've got what you got with him. It wasn't you know, anything didn't big time you because he was around certain people at any time he saw you at any of that, he had come over, you know, backstage, whatever it was, and he wouldn't just comit and do his his interviews and then blow out of there. He was just always in a in a great mood, always kidding around. I don't ever remember, I'm sure there were dark times, but you know, most of the time that I spent with him, it was you know, it was just awesome. I was just it was like kind of like a big brother kind of like to me in a sense that I felt like that when you're around.
Speaker 4: Him, that's awesome to hear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because so many stories of wrestlers being either rude or just coming to work and leaving. It sounds like he was having a good time while at work with especially it seems like with you, because you know he's one of your favorites in any interaction on camera, it's great.
Speaker 4: You know, shut up Mooney as.
Speaker 3: A classic line that a lot of people used on you, but perfect he did it with a extra love, extra love, it seems.
Speaker 2: Look and well we've talked about that before too, like what you know, like Bobby would say who who, and it was what's how they they? If they put you over, then you know they liked you. They didn't you were in good favor with them in a sense. And uh, you know the stuff like with with Kurt saying your shut up mooney or even you know, putting your name over just that was just that little sense of letting you know, putting you over and uh, you know, and and that's the way Kurt was.
Speaker 3: That's awesome because again he is brought up so many different times as being one of the greatest of all times.
Speaker 4: And we'll get into that discussion later on in the show.
Speaker 3: But the story, the myth of him coming into the WWF.
Speaker 4: Interviews and all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: But he brings his father, does a sit down with Vince and they're talking about what are you good at? Because they're trying to come with names for this guy, what are you good at? And he's I'm pretty good at everything. But the myth about this is Terry Taylor is also going to be signed to the ww at the time. And one wrestler gets this perfect gimmick. He's the best at everything, dart, wrestling, bowling, baseball. The guy gets turned into a half rooster man the red Rooster. Now you were there, Can you clarify if there's any truth to these two wrestlers coming in. These gimmicks are already made, but they don't know who they're going to go to.
Speaker 2: Well, I have to I'll be honest here when I'm just looking through the notes and seeing that today that you know there was considered to be Terry Taylor is considered to be mister perfect. I'm honest, the guy I never ever ever heard that. I don't know where that came from. If it was true, then maybe I don't know, but it's not something that I ever heard, and I can't And we've talked about Terry before and he, you know, tremendous talent. I don't think that you know, he ever really got his chance in the in the w WE, but if they would have considering, you know that him as mister perfect compared to Kurt Headache. Now, I think that Kurt was an easy choice for that. I'm talking gimmick wise. Both were great, you know, good ring tacticians, but Kurt I certainly give the edge there. And if you ever saw a match of his, you would I think you'd agree if if he was in his peak condition, when he wasn't dealing with a lot of the health issues that he had a lot of the ailments that dogged him for a good part of his career. But yeah, when it came down to you, like you said, they're sitting in that room and I would have loved to hear that conversation because you know what, do you do. And he's like, like the golf, basketball, and what's what are your best at I'm like, I'm good at everything, you know, I just I can just hear him saying that, and and and then that Perfect monitor Moniker was born, and uh it certainly it played well. But as we you know, people have talked about many times, you know, if you're gonna have a gimmick like that get better, you'd be able to live up to it, you know, And Kurt did I rove it off.
Speaker 3: It's just so true because if you're perfect at everything and you suck at the ring and then well, immediately we start off on a bad foot.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 4: We were not doing a great job.
Speaker 3: But they did a great job introducing him to the WWF audience with vignettes.
Speaker 4: We got baseball, hitting home runs, you know.
Speaker 3: We got strikes, we get darts, we have swimming with everything.
Speaker 4: But then I rewatched the midst of perfect documentary. In my heart was shattered when Bruce Pritchard revealed that he did not just hit home runs and strikes and hitting the darts in the middle and swimming, No, those are all edited now. He would eventually hit those moves or hit that shot, but they it took like one hundred takes to get him. I was sad when I on that out today. Was this old when I found.
Speaker 2: That, Well, well, I think you're exaggerating a little bit here, Steve. Like hundreds of shots now no, and it was never that many.
Speaker 4: We'll say ten, yes, But I.
Speaker 2: Remember, you know, and think about it. You know a lot of that stuff was pretty crazy. But as Bruce tells the story though, that you know that Kurt really was really good at doing everything and and doing extraordinary things. Uh. You know, there's like the baseball thing and he got up there and he hit a he had a home run. And Wade box telling the story because that's why I think when they first started to had, you know, becoming friends, and they wanted, well, we got to get a ballplayer to come out and uh and Wade was a natural choice there and he said, well, you know, going there and he goes, I thought that what they're going to have to do, you know, they'd have him hit the ball and it looked like it was a pretty good hit, and then they'd cut it and then they go back to mister perfect and they go and he goes and he hits he hit a home run. I mean, now, I don't know how many people have done that, and you know it's not easy to do. You got to really get a smack a ball. But as Bruce tells the story, though, you know that that you know, Kurt was really good at this stuff. And when they say, okay, let's let's try one and we're going to shoot now action where it would he couldn't do it, And so what he would do is he just wouldn't tell Kurt. They would just roll on everything once they started, even if he was practicing or whatever, which was because also you know, Kurt would be messing around doing things between takes or something, and it would because of athleticism, it would be kind of cool. Whether you know, like say, for the example, with the golf ball or something, and he would bounce the golf like Tiger Woods would do, you know, and he would just be messing around, but he had this you know, hand eye coordination or whatever, or he might do something the basketball, and so they could they would just roll. And especially because a lot of this stuff was chance, you know that. But you know, when you're at the other end of the court completely and you need to take a ball and do that and in the general direction. Well maybe if you do it a thousand times, you might do it, but he might do it the you know, third or fourth time, just because you know, messing around. So that was a really that was a really good idea. But it also you know, they didn't end up getting these little nuggets of stuff that he was doing, and it would basically be kind of an outtake, uh that they could use. And so that was that was that was really smart when they when they started doing that. But you know, trying to do that was not easy to act, you know, to capture it on tape and be able to use it, you know, like a forty foot putt or something like that. Well, you know you could be there for hours trying to get it. You know, within a you know, get this close, this closer bounces in.
Speaker 3: So now those are so much fun because you know, for a little while for introductions of characters, we only saw this happen for a few people. Million Oile the Man received these vignettes h a few people in the past. But really this is like the beginning where the mounte and suddenly you know, the bushwhackers get him and the Nasty Boys and legit, everyone starts getting these vignettes introducing people to the audience. It's it's a nice way because suddenly those are pre tapes the Venture going to on Superstars from Primetime and Wrestling Challenge that was shot a month ago.
Speaker 4: So in reality, that crowd has no idea.
Speaker 3: Who missed the Perfect is until those vignettes stopped playing on television. I thought it was a perfect way to introduce him to the audience. But he's a great talker, He's incredible on the microphone. But yet they kept putting managers with him. Is this just because this is the time that everyone needs a manager? Or is it at Vince maybe being worried. What do you mentally think why that keeps happening?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I honestly, I look back that Kurt didn't need one, and you know, quickly A note on that you talk about those vignettes is they were brilliant in a sense because as far as bring the character before mister Perfect made his debut, everybody was already, you know, dying to see who this guy was, and they already knew what he was all about, you know. Uh, it was it was a great way to introduce these characters so that when they did hit the ring, they were already over or they're already had heat. And uh, you know, I I used to I thought those were brilliant, especially with like the ones mister Purft. By the time that Kurt actually, you know, made his debut, he already had heat with people. You know that he didn't have to keep build it up in the ring and build it up on TV every week for weeks and weeks and weeks. He already had heat. And uh, you know, that was a great way to do it. So anyway, that that the fact that you know, Kurt was you know, a natural and he didn't need a manager. I I And then you know, and I don't know if Lanny was first. I don't know.
Speaker 3: You got the genius, Bobby Heenan, then you got Coach. So we'll kind of break them all down right now a little bit. But yeah, first the genius. Everyone hates the genius, so you put him with anybody you hate the wrestler. By the beginning, when mister Perfect first shows up, he doesn't have a manager.
Speaker 4: He's wearing like classic just blue tights.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have his his classic I have it right, here his classic gear. He's not wearing this, He's wearing blue tights, you know, the the underwear. But yeah, then eventually he gets the genius and you're like, okay, I guess, but how does that in my brain fit?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it didn't. And especially you know, and I loved Lanny, you know, and and I guess to give him something to do, I don't know, they weren't, you know, they didn't have big plans for him in the ring as a you know, the solo thing going and would come out and do the poems. But it was one of those things where it just what what did that add to the perfect character? It really didn't. Now, you know, Bobby might have made a little sense because Bobby is a heat generator, you know, and just to turn it up, you know, to eleven, But yeah, none of that made And it didn't make any sense because I didn't Kurt didn't need one. He was already a good which was you could see in the the vignettes. So the idea behind that really didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Bobby, Okay, I get it, you know, making part of the Emily or whatever, you know, just to it just helps turn up that heat. But Lanny, I honestly, I still don't get it.
Speaker 3: No, it's very shocking because again you see all these vignettes him with charisma, hitting all these shots and bowling and just everything he has got charisma, and then out of nowhere again these managers are not in these vignettes with him, so he's being introduced by himself.
Speaker 4: When he shows up, he's by himself. He gets a genius.
Speaker 3: But while he has the genius, he does start a storyline with Hope Cogan, and this actually kicks off something that's interesting because the genius holds a paint, not a pinfall a win a w over Hult Cogan on an episode of Saturday Night's the main Event by count out because mister Perfect got involved. So in reality, congratulations genius, you did it, sir. You beat Holt Cogand and the height of Hulkemania because of mister Perfect.
Speaker 4: So he can I guess he can say.
Speaker 2: That in the W take, it doesn't matter how the w got there, how it got there.
Speaker 4: Nope, nope, not the asterisk, don't look at that.
Speaker 3: But while mister Perfect does have a robbery with Hult Cogan, we're gonna jump around, folks, We're not gonna stay.
Speaker 4: We're not gonna go with the timeline here.
Speaker 3: But with Hult Cogan, mister Perfect steals the w WF championship from Hult Cogan. He brings it backstage and he smashes it to pieces with a hammer. And this is something I have never seen done before. What was the thought of this? Because this is huge, Like someone's been injuring Hulk Cogan over the years, big guys, but someone has never taken his championship and smashed it into a million pieces.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, uh, and you just said it. I mean, uh, you know, never been done for how dare you? I mean really And it was just an It wasn't just an affront to Hulk Cogan. It was to uh that championship, you know, to the how dare you? But the arrogance and uh that the confidence was what you know, kind of shine through for that character. So I think it was something that got people, was different and uh and certainly raised the heat factor. I still, you know, wonder why that that Kurt didn't get that opportunity though to really wear that strap. It never never really happened, And I don't even know if there was a real discussion about it. But because I think that, you know, he certainly could stand toe to toe with someone like cul Cogan and and have a good run.
Speaker 4: Well, mister Perfect, he mister Burke's on a list.
Speaker 3: Anytime makes a top ten list of wrestlers who never won the world title, mister Perfect is usually one or two.
Speaker 4: Then know the man's up there as well.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't count him stealing it with double referee, sorry folks, but with mister Perfect, he's on that list, and with a robbery with whole Cogan in nineteen ninety we are inching our way to WrestleMania six to have Hogan take on Warrior. So obviously there's no time for Perfect to get a championship and then flip it over. So I but before we jump into why Kurt was never a world champion, the rumor, as long as I remember it was the smash WWF Championship was actually the ww Hardcore Championship that Mankind was handed over to in ninet tenty eight by Vince McMahon because it was all smashed up, it was duct taped and had hardcore. I believe that rumor up until I heard Bruce Pritchard kind of say.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't think that's true.
Speaker 3: What were your thoughts when you years later would abruptly see attitude rad things and seeing like is that the world title?
Speaker 4: That perfect smashed?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That I feel the same way because it was well, there was a great a separation of time there, like you wonder like was it in back somewhere pull this thing out again? Uh yeah, so uh that's and Bruce is the source, I mean really he was. He was there and uh uh so I got to go along with that, you know, but it did make you wonder, Yeah, they didn't want to waste the belt or something. They're expensive, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Don't get another one, just get buy one and smash a new one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But yeah, that and people that would be a really interesting conversation to have with some of these people that are are the officionados of of uh you know, these championship belts and these collectors that you know, I'm sure that that would if there was, If that was true, imagine the lore of that belt, you know, I think in its condition whatever, it would be worth even more. Oh yeah, that was attached to it. So it's an interesting Yeah, it's an interesting take, but yeah.
Speaker 3: It was bizarre because also you could think that like, oh, you're you're kind of in the edged era. You're saying, like death to the wing Championship. We have a new world titles to Austin. You know, it's a so we're kind of buryinging the old by giving man kind of fake hardcore title with the Winged Eagle title.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of like a slap in the face of the past.
Speaker 3: But also like, hey, let's let's let's create some lore here, because this is as long as I remember thinking like, oh why because mister Perfect Smash is one here.
Speaker 4: You know, eight years later it's smashed.
Speaker 3: It is the same title, but I guess, you know, we'll have to clarify it's not the Hardcourt Championship, but mister Perfect smashing it.
Speaker 4: It's again, it's never been done before.
Speaker 3: We still haven't seen that up until today, where someone takes someone else's champions. We've seen people throw them over bridges and you know, try to blow them up and set them on fire, but we have never seen someone smash them. And it really I think established mister Perfect as a player because no one won ups Hogan usually you take the goal, big dude, like Earthquakes, you know, smushing you in the Brother Love show, there's Brother Love right there, or Andre, you know, ripping the necklace off them, like there's just much more here to mister Perfect, Yes, call it, but I just want to say congratulations to the Genius for beating Holk Kogan. Mister Perfect didn't do it, but the Genius did, so W call him there, W call him there? Uh though with mister Perfect in the Genius, they had a nice little run there. But as time would go on, mister Perfect heads into WrestleMania six nineteen ninety SkyDome Hogan Rust Warriors the main event, huge, huge night. But mister Perfect is undefeated heading into this, and mister Perfect has a robberty with Brutus the barber Beefcake. Beefcake cut the Genius's hair at the Roy Rumble, and Perfect attacked him and we are.
Speaker 4: Off the races.
Speaker 3: But Beefcake beats perfects undefeated. Now, if you don't know beef Cake's a friend of Hulk Hogan's, do you believe that Hogan said, you know what we should do. We should beat mister Perfect, and it should be Beefcake because Hogan's not going to do it because he's off with Warrior.
Speaker 4: After that, he comes back in Fight Earthquake.
Speaker 3: So do you think Hogan got involved him was like, hey, my buddy should beat him.
Speaker 2: I think in most cases, and you know, I've had many conversations with Brutus and over the years, and yeah, and I think he credits a lot of his success in the w WE to his good friend. Fortunately they didn't they had a you know, major falling out, and I don't think that ever really got mended. But I think at the time, yeah, I think that that probably had something to do with it. I also, you know, I can't help but wonder you know, what was you know, Kurt in the doghouse for something like that, or you know, for a little punishment. I don't know, but it it shocked a lot of people. I mean, I don't think anybody thought that that was going to happen. But that was another thing they'd love to do too, Steve, is that they would like to do the unexpected. You know, they they that you would, you know, once in a while, just be able just to throw you off kilter, because everybody would you know, you would have you would think you'd follow the what you'd expect storyline. Of course, if mister Perfect's gonna go in there and he's this arrogant and he's undefeated, and you're gonna let someone like Brutus the Barbara Beefcake beat him, and I think they they'd like to do that once in a while. And and and also it had something to do maybe they had some plans down the road, but maybe they for Brutus to and and Kurt to do something or bring the connection of Hulk into it. I don't know, but uh, you know that one was tough to swallow. I think a lot of people were like, really, come on, what happened here? You know? And they like, we're still talking about it? So I think that, yeah, I think that in most cases, whatever Brutus was involved in, the Hulkster had a say in it and helped push him. But you know that that wasn't unusual in across the boarder just where you fell on the cart. You know, Randy had a lot of influence too, So you know, Lanny got a lot of opportunities to do things that and I've talked we've talked to before. You know, Lanny was was it was good in the ring. I mean, I think you know, he he was a popo. They came up, you know, and but he wasn't that for whatever reason, didn't have that marquis that that that charisma that was going to put him at a higher level. And it always helped to have a brother who was who was in that position. So that wasn't that. That wasn't you know, crazy to think that Dolkster wouldn't have had some influence. He had a lot of influence on what happened that in the company.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you said that, because my first evidence here for people who don't believe me with that question is we go back to a rumble in nineteen ninety. The rumor is that mister Perfect supposed to win this Royal Rumble hol Cogan though you know Hogan must pose. So Hogan is the one who ends up winning the nineteen ninety Royal Rumble instead tossing out Perfect, which then leads to Perfect losing to Beefcake, which is Hogan's friend. So, in reality, is the idea that fans wanted Perfect to win the Royal Rumble and not hul Cogan or is this just people looking too deep into things because Hogan is roll Rumble. Isn't something like where you get a championship match. Hogan is the world champion. It we're in the height of Hulk Hogan. We're in the whole Holkamania. Like it's stupid to think anyone else would win besides Hogan at this point in time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like you said, it wasn't like there's so much on the line and something like that. But it's a great opportunity to put one of your your people over. And and Kurt I don't remember what he entered and I think he was in there for a long time. Wasn't there was I can't remember. He was number entered number number thirty. Yeah, yeah, okay, so it was later, Yeah, does that. But uh, it was an opportunity I think to put him over more and and uh, for whatever reason, you know, the Hulkster has to win it. I I don't know if that if he squatched that idea, because originally they were gonna put Kurt over. I don't know, I really don't. I don't know what what it came down to with that, but you can rest assured that he'd Hulk would have had to write to sign off on it for it to happen. So to say that he didn't have influence and it was ala Vince's decision, I doubt it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's crazy because they do have the face to face with Warrior and Hogan in the match, and then Warrior, you know, gets he's out, he gets out of the tossed out of the roy rumbole, and then Hogan could have probably done the same thing.
Speaker 4: We could have just kept equal footing.
Speaker 3: And I'm just thinking politics wise, Hulk Hogan's like, well, if I'm gonna lose it WrestleMania, I'm winning here, folks, because I'm gonna go in super strong. And so when this just this me spitball that, I'm thinking Hogan, Hogan's gonna win because it's Hogan's time, it's Hogan's era. He can say whatever he wants and Vince's like, let's throw it. And so I can imagine that happening here. So that's my exhibit, uh a here with Hold and.
Speaker 2: You see that all the time. I think that that was you know, kind of a rot disease with you know, like w CW. You had a few guys at the top there and they just kept you know, putting themselves over and that can be that can hurt you. And I think in some cases like this that you know, having so much influence in a company can hurt as far as you you know, getting other people established, and it's I don't think it's good for business and you get spread the wealth. But you know, even at this point in time, I know that you know, Vince is looking, you know, we've got to spread this out. You know, he keeps trying to find people that are going to be able to carry the load and keep you know, these arenas with people with within the seats and they're running a lot of shows and and HLP can't be everywhere, and uh, you know, so I think that, you know, as far as the business sense here, you gotta be careful when when somebody has that much influence. But at the same time, you can't piss him off either. So I think it was kind of a fine fine line that that Vince had to walk, as you had to keep the guy in the yellow tights happy and at the same time try and grow with the roster where you've got more guys that can appear at the top of the car. So it was you know, it was a dance, I think for him, make a really good point, try and keep everybody happy.
Speaker 3: That's I never even thought of that way, because the heat you have Warrior being the next guy coming up.
Speaker 4: All right, we're gonna be Hogan restling you six.
Speaker 2: Right, but remember they're not sure of him either. Yes too, you know, like and so and then so.
Speaker 3: He tried it with Savage a year ago, but they had to have Hogan next to them. Every time Hogan would walk away to go do a movie or something, business would dip. So then Vince would call Holgan, Hey, we're gonna call you come back. Business goes up. So in reality, Hogan's very smart.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Let's keep everyone down here and I stay up here. Every time I leave, these people try to level up, but they can't. So you call me back and I get more money and I get more opportunities.
Speaker 4: Very smart business plan for him.
Speaker 2: There would step away, you know, how can I miss you if you if you're still here? So yeah, it worked out great, and it did for a while. I mean those years there, they you know, Terry knew it. Terry knew their pliells got a ring, you know, he just knew. And I can go do whatever I want to do, and if even if if it works out tremendous, that's awesome. But if it doesn't, I mean, this is always here. They're gonna need me, and then I can carve out a time where I go back and then uh, I'm I got other things going on here and they need me even more. And how many times he came back over and what he had to do, you know, so it was a great business plan for quite a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it worked out for him, but you know, miss Perfect does not win the nineteen ninety or rumble. He loses the undefeated streak at WrestleMania six, but also at that event, Warrior becomes world champion. That means he has to give up the Intercontinental title because it wasn't title for a title for some stream reason.
Speaker 4: But Warrior then, really, which is it?
Speaker 3: They have a tournament, Mister Perfect wins the tournament to become the intern Continental Champion, pinning Tito Santana in the finals. Now why the hell do you have Perfect loses undefeated streak to Beefcake to let him then win a tournament to become Intercontinental champion.
Speaker 2: Well, all you can say is was that that was some kind of make good. I don't know that. You know, let we've got to get Brutus the win and hope everybody forgets it. So which didn't happen. But you know, did anybody doubt you know, it was that Kurt wasn't uh you know, didn't deserve to have a belt on him. He made a great intercontinental champion, and so him doing that, it wasn't there was no question. Uh, people like give it to him, you know. So I think it that turned out really to be a blip in a sense in his his his career because at least at that time that you know, it was just kind of one of those things. Yeah, it happened, but you know, could five out of you know, five out of five times is how many times is it is brute is going to go over? Uh, you know, it's not going to happen. So he got it. He got the w just like Lanny with the.
Speaker 4: Hulkster courage done.
Speaker 2: Put that, put that in uh you know, put it in the bank. But but yeah, I don't think him dropped. Dropping that match to Brutus hurt his stature as far as you know, how he was put on a card in the stature that he would be as far as did he deserve to be an intercontinental champion?
Speaker 4: Well, it's more even crazier. Exhibit be here.
Speaker 3: While I feel like Hulk Conan is involved with this Beefcake Perfect situation is because SummerSlam nineteen ninety, it's supposed to be Mister Perfect defending the Intercontinent Championship against Brewster Barbara Beefcake. He's supposed to win, but he gets in a parasailing accident which then replaces Beefcake with Texas Tornado.
Speaker 4: Texas Tornado beats.
Speaker 3: Mister Perfect at Summerslim nineteen ninety for the Intercontinental Championship.
Speaker 4: So you're telling me.
Speaker 3: Maybe that was all a plan to have Beefcake beat Peep Perfect, to have Perfect get the intercontinental title for Beefcake then to be perfect.
Speaker 4: Is that what we're all waiting for?
Speaker 2: You? Yeah, so you think that, Yeah maybe, But I think we're getting way too like for psychics here as far as them planning. And you know, I believe at the time, you know, this is where where Kurt was ailing. I mean, his back was in really bad shape. He was going to have to take some time off, and so that's why this was going to happen. So maybe they're thinking, Okay, we've got to make it legit somehow. We can't just all of a sudden have Brutus come out of note and then beat him and get the belt. So you know, that could have been part of the psychology of that, that they're laying the tracks prior to that. But yeah, that's that's that's what was supposed to happen. And as you know, as you mentioned that Brutus had that horrific parasailing accident. Really he's lucky he didn't die, that's how bad it was. I mean, you know, I remember Terry Hulkster talking about how he you know, he couldn't breathe because his whole face had collapsed and he like put his fingers in his mouth to try and clear his to give him an air hole, you know, like you get to get oxygen. So, I mean, it was the fact that he ever even came back is to me, it's still astounding. If you ever seen those X rays of the titanium whatever in his face, I mean, his entire face was really just reconstructed. But yeah, that's unfortunate because you know, that was the moment that was the peak of Brutus's career. That would have been, you know, the absolute peak of his career. But unfortunately that's what happened, and you know, things changed and they didn't miss a beat. You know, that's that's just how it worked that you and I think it was better.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 3: I love the Texas Tornado, so I have no problems with him beating him perfect here at some nineteen ninety. Of course, perfect does eventually beat him again, becoming a two time in yourgation, and.
Speaker 2: That was, yeah, that was that was on Garry because he wasn't able to what he needed to do as the Intercottinental champion. That's why that was short lived. But he could have had a tremendous run. They really, really, they really liked him. They really wanted him to do well there.
Speaker 4: I thought he did well on television, but obviously I don't.
Speaker 3: We did a whole episode about what he was like backstage versus how he was in front of the camera, and I'll be honest, like, in front of the camera, I didn't know. I didn't see touch Tornado ever suffering or look bad or bad performance. But when we did a whole episode about him for an hour, you know, we talked about everything that happens backstage, and a lot more goes into the Texas Tornado story. Then we're gonna elaborate on now because you know this is a lot. So if you want to check that out, you go to our YouTube channel and check it out, because we did a whole hour on Texas Tornado beating Perfect and this whole run. But perfect to me at this time. The Internet Continental title. We have seen it happen over the years. Macho Man gets it, he becomes world champion, Ultimate Warrior gets it, he becomes world champion. Mister Perfect gets it, he does not become world champion. Why do you feel I know we're in the Hogan era, We're in good guy territory, so good guys are always to champion. But why do you think that out of everybody, even million dollar man, like, why didn't Perfect get that world title? What is missing from that equation?
Speaker 2: Well that, I mean that is a that's a really great, great question because he did have it all. Uh. You know, if you could generate the heat that he could generate, few sold like he did. He Uh, a few could move like he did in the ring. I mean he did, he had it all, but there's always these factors that uh, you know, for whatever reason that either they think they don't need it. You know, Ted was one of those people. I think that they felt, you know, the guy sells for us, no matter what might as we get you know, somebody else in there that can if we're going to do that, that needs a belt to make it, you know, optimize it, or that there was just something that Vince felt like he just didn't have it, you know, that that he needs to be in. But I that Kurt deserved that, and I think he would have made a great champion. I really do. I think that you look at when he was with you know uh A w A, and he became there their champion, and as Larry says, you know, I never I never became champion. He beat Nick Bockwickele, who had been you know, the you know, the reigning champion forever seemed and you know, Kurt stepped right into that role and was was tremendous. And here you are road now and he is way beyond that. And the way he carried himself and and you put him up against anybody, didn't matter their size or what they did. You felt like mister perfect could beat that guy. So whatever that final discussion was, whatever it was, but they felt that he didn't he didn't have it, He didn't have what they needed him to have because at that point, you know, you know, Kurt was still very dependable. I don't remember hearing of any you know issues that uh that were keeping him or he wasn't showing up or something like that. That was never the case with him then. I don't know later on, but uh, you know, Kurt was at you know, a point where he would have been a great champion. Now as far as the other physical things that were starting to happen with him, that might have had something to do with it too, because as we know, he had horrible back issues and would eventually step outs and had a Lloyd's of London insurance policy that paid him for a while, uh until thens needed him again and persuaded him to uh to come back. But yeah, so you know, that's a that's a that's a great question that but I always felt, from my viewpoint, I thought he had it all and I thought he would have been a great champion.
Speaker 4: Agreed. I just think it was good guys or champions here.
Speaker 3: So that's what we're gonna We're gonna do not until player and even like Yoko Zuna were suddenly bad guy as your world champions for a brief period of time.
Speaker 4: But yeah, he didn't.
Speaker 3: He didn't have it, and it's he's still on that list of people. You're like, well, why.
Speaker 4: Didn't he get it? Why why didn't happen?
Speaker 3: Though, But as I will always praise this event, he is the team captain SAVA series nineteen ninety It's missed perfect and all three members of Demolition Versus Warrior leed Jo Doom Texas Tornado Greatest Survivor series ever. I will say it until the end of time, even Gobbly Goker, he was there and he still will be praised and loved in forever. In my have, especially around Thanksgiving, we live out cookies and milk for the Gobbly Goker on Thanksgiving Eve. That's what we do in my house. That's what I hope you do the same thing. If you don't, no, no, wow, all right, the turkey, all right, fine, inner connal and champion though when he is Icy Champion as Bobby heenon A as his manager, and we have seen these videos all day long, newer fans are still baffled when Perfect is standing on the second rope and he throws a towel without Bobby looking, and Bobby just catches it in mid air.
Speaker 4: And you see this when he's walking to the ring. Every time they hit this.
Speaker 3: Do you did, Kurt ever tell you what it was like to work with Bobby heen him, because I imagine it's like working with the greatest comedian of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And and they played really well off each other, and they were, you know, always just joking around. They were. Yeah, they were a great pair together. Uh and uh, you know, uh, Bobby was a river, but he was he was a you know, it was more like you know, jokes or stuff. He would say. Kurt was where you know, he actually did stop the people. But they were they were, you know, naturals together they you know, and and genuinely loved being around each other. Uh and uh So when they the two of them together, were was like you said, it was in sync. The fact that you know, you throw the towel and Bobby would just snatch it, you know, wouldn't even look. And and you know when you're there and that's saying and you know, a lot of these, you know, when you're with each other a lot and you do these things and it seems like right on the spot like that, Well that that probably you know when at that point when you're seeing complete you know, disregard of any looking or they've done that a hundred times. So, uh, it's great that it comes off that way, but it's all been very rehearsed and rehearsed and rehearsed, whether it was a real one or whatever, but that they've done that. You know, the same thing with Kurt with the gump. You know it's spitting a boom, you know, batting it off or what he was doing. You know that that's through just repetition, reps one half, you know, over and over and over again. And that was just one of the things. I mean, you see that in the ring all the time. You always wonder, like how these guys just go in there. They don't know what exactly they're gonna do it, know because they've done it so many times. It's when somebody grabs your wrists, you know what you're what you're gonna go from there, whatever you're gonna do, you know. So it's just that that they're professionals, and when you do something like that at that level, you're really good at it.
Speaker 4: And they're so in synct though too.
Speaker 3: And so when you're part of the Heenan family, you have Bob a Heenon always praising you forever, and the Heenan family has so many great members from the past to President of the future. But mister Perfect gets in a storyline with the Big boss Man heading into Restmenia seven because Heenan he's making fun of Big Bossman's mother on commentary over and over and over again. But then it gets a little controversial because we have a moment where police brutality is happening in the real world world in media and mister perfects hanging on the Big boss Man as a police officer.
Speaker 4: I believe this is Rodney King around this time.
Speaker 3: So on your backstage interviewing and Perfect and Bobby heene are making like police beat down jokes about people being You're like you think that guy the video came and the Bush is gonna be hurt, Like We're gonna hurt you tonight, boss Man, Like holy shit, And we already have a rocky sympathizer shit going on too, Like I don't. I didn't put this in the notes, but in reality, do you remember any of this and how heavy it was?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And uh, And that's the thing when you're you know, a lot of these storylines are walk the line of reality. That's that's how you make it work, that's how you get it over. But you also have to be careful about how far you push it or how insensitive in a sense you go, you know and uh, yeah, sometimes you I don't think that people you know, like would measure in a sense where we were, and I do. I do remember, you know, doing some of those and going man, you know, but we didn't have the immediate feedback like we have today, and so a lot of it, to me, would go out into the ether, you know, it would just it wasn't people were I mean, what was somebody going to do? Write a letter? You know. That's kind of the way it worked that way. We didn't have a phone line people could call and say, I can't believe you guys did that. But it was just a it was just a general feeling and you had to go by that because you didn't get that kind of feedback as today. You know, if you do something, I mean, before you're off the air, you already could get feedback of people saying I can't believe that, or you know it worked, you know, and you had you know, these guys of course have a natural sense. That's who they are there. So they're gifted psychologists. As I've said before, they know how to people people, how to get reaction for people, and they know how you know, how they're going to react in a lot of this. But sometimes when you do it's you know, the whole the Iraqi sympathizer and or you get into the terrorism stuff as we saw, it's a it's very it's it's a real it's a minefield and you have to be really careful. And I remember back then, Yeah, to me that that was kind of pushing it, and like I said, I didn't but we didn't get that kind of feet bay, So I never knew. I don't know how that you know, reaction. You'd see it in the when you went to the Arenas, but that was just really you know, generated in heat and you're like, awesome, you didn't know that these people really like were thinking, you know, you went too far with that, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just remember Bobby making those Rodney King jokes, oh my lord, dude, police brutality, And you know it's changed over the years obviously how you perspect looked at these things. But in ninety one, when he's saying that, and it's so fresh in the news, it's so fresh in media that police are beating down a man and someone in the bushes videotaping with a cam quarder and blow it just it changed the world for a lot of different reasons. But bringing it up into a storyline or the intercondinal title at WrestleMania seven, when you already have your alleged bomb threats over an Iraqi sympathizer character man, you're hitting, you're hitting too many checkbox here of how many times can we piss somebody off at one event? And I feel like that might have gone too far though, but that that's that's how I felt about that. He beat boss Man, doesn't get the intercondinal title. We go to Summer Slam ninety one. Someone missed the perfect back. He cannot continue any longer. He has to step away from the ring. He fights Brett Hart and maybe the second greatest Summer Slam match of all time. The other one would be Brett Hart versus Bulldog Mister Perfect goes into a match knowing he needs surgery, knowing he has bulging discs.
Speaker 4: Did you speak with him? Were you aware of how injured he was heading into this?
Speaker 2: Well, didn't speak to him about it. It was something you know, you never really would, you know. It's kind of a I don't know, JINX thing or something like that. You never talked to anybody was you know, dealing with something an injury especially that was going to that was impacting their performance, their career. But you could see how, you know, what what he was experiencing, just by the way he moved. And I've said this before that I've always been just astounded when I look back at some of these matches and uh, I think back to when my dog's parking, Uh I don't hear. Yeah, I think back to to looking at some of these guys in the ring during these matches and going you know, and knowing what they look like and were moving like before they went out there, and then you see what they do and it's they're not uh, you know, not doing certain moves, they're not moving a certain way not to do they it's full out when they're out there. Dynamite Kid was the same way that you know that you knew that that guy was destroyed and he was going out there. You never know when they're out there in the ring and you look at that match with Brett, and you know, Kurt's doing all these bridges and snaps, supplexes and and you've got to be thinking every time, can you imagine every time he's doing that? And then you know Brett blocks in the sharpshooter and it's just amazing that you look at him and how he performed. It's just amazing to me that these guys that they would do it and it's one hundred percent went out there one hundred percent, and you know maybe he was forty percent you know or wherever. Can't even imagine what he was going through. And pain is a is a great equalizer as far as like, you know, you can have that thought in your brain, I'm going to do something if your but if your body is with you know, pain is supposed to stop you from doing that. And watch that match, you know, maybe maybe you saw something in it. I didn't I And I I love seeing the comments and sometimes that people say, well, you know, I can't believe it. And he didn't do this or he didn't do that. You're like, please, if you knew that? What what? What a mess his back was then? And uh and him going out there and just giving it his all and then when he comes back, Oh god, I mean could you know probably wanted to crawl. I don't think that you can't. It didn't help his uh, his physical condition. So that's what makes that match to me more amazing Steve is what what condition he was in? And then he pulled that performance off?
Speaker 4: I agree? I know, I agree.
Speaker 3: When you are needing surgery and you go out there and every step you take you're wincing, and you can see in his face it's like he was butting down a little bit.
Speaker 4: No, he's walking, he's hurts, yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know like he's you know, people look at what he's selling or something. You know, I don't think he had so much that day.
Speaker 3: No, when you need a back surgery, like this difference between like oh I hurt my hand, I'll just tape it up and go out there. No, your back, you know, kind of getting your legs going, kind of getting your whole body going.
Speaker 2: He's got the center of your whole movement and.
Speaker 4: You getting slammed over and over on the thing that you need surgery on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine, I mean everybody, I would. You know, most people have had their back go out at some point in your life. Remember what that was like? That is the center of all your mobility, everything from your legs, your arms, your every time you twist everything, and that is it imagined that that is just on fire and every movement and then you're doing.
Speaker 4: That one of the best matches.
Speaker 2: I was just trying to get off the couch.
Speaker 3: No try, like I think I have said before, when I sleep on my arm wrong and it hurts, and he's like, oh, well, I have bulging discs.
Speaker 4: I need a back surgery.
Speaker 3: But let's go out and have one of the best matches of my career, which I honestly think it is.
Speaker 4: Even Brett Hart said that. You know, he told Kurt hey, man, like, you know, I know you're hurt. You don't have to do this.
Speaker 3: And Kurt told him like, no, I'm going out there because you deserve this and you've worked your ass off. And if I don't go out there and you beat me and you beat somebody else, like who cares? If you beat Skinner. I love Skinner, but who cares if you beat Skinner for the intercolal title. No, you're gonna beat the guy who's had the title for the past eight months. So let's go out there and do it. And and again they stole the show. They had an amazing match. And that's when we all I had missed her Perfect with Coach, his other manager, his last manager.
Speaker 4: Coach.
Speaker 3: And it's a physical man. Who think of a gym teacher when you were a kid. That is what Coach looks like. You get the visor on, the big glasses, the sweatsuit, the whistle before Billo Fonso used it every single match in ECW. What why go from genius to Bobby Heenan to coach.
Speaker 2: That's another one. I don't have any idea need him.
Speaker 4: Jamison. We should have give him Jamison instead of Coach.
Speaker 2: Well, but yeah, it made no sense that that, and you know the fact it was just so short lived. I think everyone realized it, you know, shortly after.
Speaker 3: Let's just race that in people's brains, like put up the men in black, race your brain. Boom, it's gone, Oh all right, moving on, mister Perfect though, does commentary from this point on, he's gonna do commentary until Rick Flair comes in with Bobby Heenan, eventually becoming Ric Flair's executive consultant, involved in every damn Rick Flair storyline, from winning the world title a Roll Rumble ninety two to apparently taking going to post naked photos of Miss Elizabeth up in the big screen at WrestleMania eight, even leading to SummerSlam ninety two where it's going to be what corners mister perfect in?
Speaker 4: Is it Ultimate Warrior or is it the Macho ma'am?
Speaker 3: Where did you land on mister perfect being on commentary and then being an executive consultant? I enjoyed it, But where you worked with him as a wrestler, What was it like working with him as a broadcast journalist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it was cool because he came to the studio more often and so it got to spend more time. But yeah, well it was out of necessity. He couldn't you know, he couldn't work, and so you know, I think that was that was I always like that aspect of it, that Vince would you know, bring, bring, keep the guys around, and that was kind of the way you could do it. Keep them involved. And it was also you know, selfishly for Vince in the sense that to keep them near and then at some point when I need him, I can put them back into you know, action in which we saw with Randy. Randy never really never wanted to be a commentator, but you know it was Vince made it attractive in a sense as far as the money went, and then he ended up being whenever they had an issue with somebody, whoever, Brandy would you know, pop in take care of it. And so that was that was part of it. But I don't think that Kurt really ever enjoyed it, you know, immensely. I mean I think he you know, it was it was a good gig, but he always wanted to be in the ring, and I think it was really different, dificult for him during that period of time, even though he was getting well paid for uh you know, he had that insurance policy the Lloyd's of London that you know, he was so he didn't have to work. But you know, he loved being around the business. That was just his life. It was with a lot of these guys and uh so it was it gave him more chance, you know, he could get home more but I think that when it came down to it, he he wanted to get back in the ring, and I think that when uh, the opportunity came up, and uh, you know, maybe he wasn't ready at the time, but it was out of necessity that you know that Evince made it worthwhile. So you know, I think it was just it was it was great to keep him, keep him there. I think that that that was one of the best aspects of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've watched mentioned a thousand times. I watched all the Superstars from ninety two on Peacock recently, and he's on commentary the whole time, the whole year, and he's very good with Vince McMahon. They're a perfect pair. And that's where I started noticing, I'll try.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 3: I did it sort of, not really, but he was perfect throwning it in the sky and catching it with Vince. And then he made Rick Flair more of a threat because Bobby Heenan was a goofball and a weasela cost him sometimes you'd see him do funny things.
Speaker 4: Mister perfect.
Speaker 3: We knew who he was, we knew what a killer he could be in the rink. So having him with Rick Flair. Really, I think added more heat and more anger towards Ric Flair, because now Flay doesn't just have Bobby Heenen as a goofball manager. He's got a like a killer mister Perfect as his executive consultant. They have a stable, a faction growing or just around Rick Flair. I really enjoyed it because I kept, like you said, it kept Rick mister Perfect in the game, but it also kept him on air. But when they did need him Sarves Area's ninety two, they came calling because we did a whole episode about it. Is Warrior gets fired, he's out, Well, we need someone to take his place.
Speaker 4: Mister Perfect gets the call.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't know how much mister Perfect's being paid of his insurance policy, but I can imagine it's a lot. So do you think you don't have the problem of the answer, But do you think he was getting paid more money to be an active wrestler or to sit at home collecting a big ass payday doing nothing except commentary.
Speaker 2: Well, I've heard different amounts. I heard one time was like three hundred thousand dollars or something. I don't know, but I think that it was it was enough he didn't have to work. But you know, those guys at the time, especially at Kirt's level, they could, you know, they could bring home half a million dollars or more so. But at the same time, you think, well, but then I don't have to get my my he beaten up every night, you know, have that car wreck every night, so you know, and and then he's getting paid more. He's getting paid extra for doing the commentary stuff too. I you know, I think probably at the time he was probably faster going back in there than he wanted to. But I think that, you know, Vince made it worthwhile. And I don't know how that all got settled. I don't know if Vince had to pay off the rest of the the insurance policy or something, because if he's going to go back in the ring, I'm sure Lloyd's of London is not going to be happy about paying him. They're paying him basically not to wrestle anymore. So whatever that deal was must have really been worth it to Kurt for him to go back in, because he wasn't. It certainly wasn't one hundred percent at that point.
Speaker 3: No, And I've heard stories of like Rick Rude being on the same policy where when he came back into the WWF in ninety seven ish, he couldn't take bumps because the insurance company is like, so you're gonna work as a wrestler.
Speaker 4: He's like no, no, no, no, no no no, Like I'll do stuff, but I won't get I.
Speaker 3: Won't take bumps, Like, so we're gonna pay you, and you're also gonna get paid by them, but you're not gonna wrestle, like and Rick Rude had an issue. That's why he couldn't wrestle in WCW in to the later time because Eric Brushoff's like, I'm not paying off your insurance for you to wrestle.
Speaker 4: It cost me more money to pay this off than for you to actually wrestle.
Speaker 3: Right, No, yeah, mister perfect only lasted about a year in ringing the WWF from ninety three and he went back on commentary in ninety four and they tried to It's funny because on the Mister perfect Uh documentary they try to suggest that him and Hunter Hurst Hemsley Triple Hs were together forever. They're together for about like a week maybe two, and then Kurt left for WCW while on Raw they're airing old episodes of things that were taped where mister Perfect turns heel or wild man Mark Mary joins up with Triple H. And then he goes off to WSW and eventually joins the nWo like everybody who ever worked in the WWF, and he enjoyed a nice run there for a while as just Kurt Henning. But then eventually he starts the rap Is Crap where he becomes a Southern boy, red Texas. What was there stable name? Something probably offensive, But apparently as time go on, people would say he had the most fun being a rap Is Crap Texas cowboy in WSW, that he was mister perfect.
Speaker 4: I find that hard to believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I find that hard to believe too, But Kurt found fun wherever he went, so I'm sure that whatever the ride was, he made it the best could possibly be. And also, at that point he wasn't mister perfect or the current we were used to seeing in the ring. You know, everything had taken its toll by the time he was down there, So I don't maybe just from a standpoint of, you know, the character he had fun with, but I can't imagine it was fun for him as far as him not being able to do what he was used to being able to do in the ring.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Before we wrap this whole, mister Perfect episode of I want to talk about ribs for a minute. One that I thought was hilarious that I want to know if you have any ones that no one's ever heard of.
Speaker 4: But this one is.
Speaker 3: In one match, mister Perfect brought a plastic eye dropper bottle and squirted fluid around the ring. The restless panicked, and someone shouted, who shit their pants? Apparently he had a stink bomb in liquid form and he was spraying it around the ring. That to me is hilarious because you gotta keep you gotta be in the ring selling like I can't. Oh, I'm fighting you as you smell like shit. But do you know any rip stories at me? Maybe that weren't so evil that we could talk about.
Speaker 2: Most of Most of them were pretty evil rights. But he would go to you know, I always thought like an extra a bag just for his rib stuff. You know, you mentioned the whole stink bomb thing, and he had it was a you know stuff he bought. It was like a little dropper thing with a you know, it kind of drop things and you could and he would you know, sprinkle it on people as they walked by, and it made I think, I don't know if it was morning missed or something. It's just it was just smelled like crap. I mean, like you thought somebody pooped their pants. And that was just that was one of them that, you know, if somebody annoyed him or whatever, or he just wanted to have a little rib, you know, and it was it lasted too, you know, it wasn't just that it would be a few minutes. Uh. And I heard that he had he did that on a cup on plane, you know, a couple of times in the whole you know what that's like, I mean, and you're all breathing the same air. So they weren't real happy with him. But then he then he also uh they they had would take locks and and chain things, say whatever you had, you know, like everybody was used to carry around those Halliburton briefcases, and he would he would lock those two lock you know, lockers in the in the arena or uh. You know, he just NonStop and you couldn't out rib him. And most of the boys at some point would just you know cry foul or just throw in the towel like I I'm done, please, you know, like you know, they would try and rib him back and then he would come back ten times worse. Where I think Tanaka Tanaka pat Tanaka is. It talks about how he uh had a rental car that he they got in because they had broken toothpicks off in the locks of of Kurt's rental car, and and so he he painted the headlights black on their rental car. So they get in the car and they can't uh you know, the they're like, what the hell the lights are on, but we can't see anything. And then they figured, okay, they see painted, so they scrape that off and then they go get in the car and then they can't see through the windshield. It is this is filmy something. And he'd taken motor oil and put it on on the windshield. So you you know, man, you try and get that off, you put the water on, it makes it worse. And uh uh. The way he tells the story is that so he has a brilliant idea, had a gas can or something to put gas on the windshield, thinking it would cut through the oil, and and that perfect drives by and throws a match and let's the car goes up. Now, well, I don't know, you know, that's crazy to me. I never heard that one. I just saw him telling the story. But that But really it just there were no limits sometimes. And also you know fecal matters that we say would show up in people's bags and stuff. I mean, you didn't want to be on a and and to him, it wasn't you know, he wasn't being evil to him, it was just funny. It was just funny, just doing stuff like that.
Speaker 4: But you know, did he ever try to rip mister Fuji?
Speaker 2: Because I know you didn't. Mister Fuji was I supposedly number one. I remember Alfred told me a story one time that this guy that when they were in a locker room and the guy had a pocket knight that he kept playing with and it was annoying mister Fuji. And he went over and he said, let me see a knife, and he goes to sharp. He goes, yeah, it's like a razor, and he goes, oh really and like slice the guy's chest open, like not deep, but just like and then yeah, you know, you're right, gave it back to him. You know like, yeah, you didn't, mister Fuji could was just brutal. I heard other stories the stuff that they would remember, the Nair that's the hair remover stuff I think it was called there and doing things to people. So yeah, the Land of Ribs was was intense where they would Marty Jennety said that he one time Kurt handcuffed his Halliburton to a hotel drawer and they had to catch a flight, so Marty, Marty took the whole drawer out. He couldn't get it off and had to go through. He says, he went through you know, secure and they ended up getting bump from the flight, so it kind of went back on on the Kurt. But you know, they those guys, you know, you're on the road for that long and you're bored out of your mind, and that's how they entertained themselves by doing this stuff. And Kurt was king. Like I say, he did a little stuff to me. I didn't, thank God, but you know, I remember I told you the story when when I did that pay per view with a watter gun on my shoulder, he had come over and put his arm on me, his arm around me and put a big water gum on my shoulder and went through the entire pay per view with a lot of gum on my on my shoulder. Nobody said anything, So that that was just some of the little things. You know. I'd do an interview in one of those group interviews and he would step on my foot and I would be trying to get over to somebody to with a microphone. And that's just that was just Kurt and and uh and and genuinely funny too. I mean, you know, he was as certainly as funny as Bobby, and the two of them together was it was a another It was a comedy team too. So you know, bottom line, he just loved to have a good time. He really did. And and uh, it's just I'm I'm I'm glad that that I didn't see those final years. Uh and uh because I would have hated to see that. And it's tragic the way we lost them. But you know, drug use and it was is a big part of the industry was then. Uh, So that he was a statistic because of it, and those guys. We talk about the road that these guys were on and you had something get you up, had something to get you to the gym and get keep you in shape, and then go to an alcohol and then put something healthy in or something so you could sleep. It was just a horrible cycle. And you know, got a hold of these a lot of these guys and they didn't get out of that hole. Yeah, he's terrible, right.
Speaker 3: He died February tenth, two thousand and three. He was forty four. It was six weeks away from turning forty five. Determined, uh, cocaine and you know, steroids and painkillers was the reason of his death. So it's just sad to see that a lot a lot of wrestlers, especially even from the Golden era we've talked about before, none of them really die of It's hard to find a lot of people who die of old age from the Golden era, and well.
Speaker 2: Old age is sixties, you know, unfortunately, like.
Speaker 4: Forty forty four years old.
Speaker 3: And he had a son, you know, multiple children by Curtis Axel, Michael mcgilla, Cutty, Joe Henning, all the different names, and.
Speaker 4: He's a producer now in the WWE.
Speaker 3: So that's great that they he can carry the lineage of his family along the way. But it was strange when they brought in his son, and they didn't name him Joe Henning. They named him Michael McGillicuddy. That was his wrestler's name. And then eventually he got to change it to Curtis Axel. At least they got to get it a little close because the you know Curtis Kurt Axel, you know the grandfather. So it's nice to see the lineage carried on there, But it was really strange when you bring in a second generation or a third generation wrestler, they don't use the last name.
Speaker 4: But some get to, some don't get to.
Speaker 3: Before we wrap this up, though, like, what are your thoughts on mister We did a whole hour and a half here about mister Perfect, talked about the highs and lows, the good times, bad times. But what when we shut this off, what do you want people to think about mister Perfect and Kurt Henning as a person, not the wrestler, the person.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think we should remember him as a wrestler too, But yeah, he was you know Kurt. Everybody that that knew him would say and I've never really heard people say anything, you know, bad about him, except that some of his ribs were a little far but he was just a fun loving guy. You know, he just he'd loved to laugh. He had a lot of guys that he was very loyal to, you know, that whole gang from Robinsdale. You know, you hear you know, Barry Darza talks about him to this day fondly, and you know, a lot of these guys and he was just family with what he was all about. I credit where he came from. And if anybody's ever met Larry Hendrick, you know that that you know where those values and the way he you know, conducted himself and how how much he loved the business and respected it and uh, you know, he's truly one of those old school guys and loved the business. Just loved the business. It was in his soul. And uh, you know, all the interactions I had with him, you know, we're great. I mean he was always uh you know, so encouraging and you know so I think that anybody that knew Kurt loved them and it's tragic the way it all ended up. And you hear, you know, some of these people that talk to this day. And I saw something the other day from Wade Box talking to me, well that he he wished that that Kurt had called him and he and he goes and I where I feel to this day, maybe I could have done something, And so you know, it's it's just uh, it's it's a tragedy the way that forty four you know, like wow, if he could have just gotten through it, you know, and on the other side, so as we always feel it and and and then you know, your life, you know, get healthy again. But you have to get away from the business. He would have had too, especially at that time. So and I think overall though, you also have to credit for what he did for the business. He kept that old school alive during the time that he was. He was here and he was a great He was just tremendous. He was one of the you know, among the top ever and people I'm sure like Brett Hart will tell you, and others that spent a lot of time in the ring with him, we'll say that he definitely was one of the best all the way around.
Speaker 4: Agreed.
Speaker 3: And in two thousand and two he did come back into the ww f E at the time at the Royal rumbul When his music hit the crowd went crazy and he was around for a few months after that, but obviously things happened. But one last rib story I want to bring up is he went to Road Warrior Animal's house for a Christmas party.
Speaker 4: He went up dares.
Speaker 2: Found a little.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he found a toilet. He took a giant shit in it. An animal thought it was his son. He was so proud to show off the poop to everybody that look.
Speaker 4: At my son pooped in the body. It was just a giant, mister perfect turn. It was a perfect poop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's how we wrap it up here like a proud father. Look at this, my boy.
Speaker 4: It's a giant mister perfect turn.
Speaker 3: And that's how we wrap it up here, folks. No, not you know, not the sadness that the poop stories about mister Perfect. But again, thank you everyone for enjoying us talking about the golden era of the WWE. Mister perfect with today's topic, but check out the past. We talked about text, Tornado, the Heart Foundation, the British Bulldogs, Hogan Versus Warriors, Savage, so many other people. But thank you again Shaw Mouney for sharing your passionate stories today in the golden era. I'm see fall he shah Mouni have a wonderful day and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 4: Bye bye.
Speaker 2: It's a golden age.
Speaker 4: Oh, tell me me talk Dewey.
Speaker 1: Got to the life the fantasy, step in the ringfield history, talking to the gold and tell me to talk, Dewey