Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky, Anda, Welcome in. It is Kentuckyana's morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty WHAS five six here on June nineteenth, A wet, wet morning, been a wet evening. It started last night. I know, we got some pretty big storms last night and on the way in this morning. For me, my commute takes me from the I get on I sixty five at the Snyder there right around I guess right before the outer loop between the Brooks exit. In the outer loop exit on sixty five, that's where I hit sixty five. And at that time, of course, this was probably about an hour ago, heavy heavy rain. It did get lighter as I moved in towards downtown. But yeah, it's been a stormy evening. Well, it was a stormy evening and we still have some rain going on in the area, so stay safe out there. I didn't see any accidents on my way in, but would not be shocked at all if we find out from our own Bobby Ellis that there has been some accident, maybe as of now, maybe moving forward this morning, so we'll get your update on traffic and weather coming up here in roughly three minutes time, and we've got a lot to get into today. We will give you the latest, and it seems to be it's clearly a developing situation with what's going on when it comes to President Trump and what he wants to do. And when I say what he wants to do, I mean that what he wants to do. However, he's speaking for I guess, I mean, I guess he's only speaking for himself. But you know, what he decides to do, given the fact that he's the president of the United States, that certainly will impact a lot of us. Therefore, there are many like myself on the edge of our seats here to see where this thing goes. And you can certainly tell that he enjoys everyone being on the edge of their seats. So we'll touch on that coming up here in about ten minutes or so. And also Rory O'Neil's going to join us. And I like a little variety with my daily Rory O'Neill interactions, but man, we've been following the same couple of things really or the past week or so, and we'll continue to do that today. Also, we'll get your update on sports coming up with Scott Fitzgerald around five twenty five and obviously a lot to react to from the College World Series. Dan McDonald and the Louisville Cardinal baseball program, their season comes to an end a real bummer, But I think the timing of this deep run into the postseason was crucial and a real sign of what Dan McDonald is and I don't need to tell Louisville fans he's I mean, he's one of the best in the country when it comes to college baseball, and this was a big one, meaning just again the timing of it, and I hated to see it come to an end, especially after that rough start they had yesterday. But it'd be hard for me to feel as if this wasn't a big, big step forward after a few years of where it had slipped a little bit. And also when it comes to sports, we've got a win or go home situation for the Indiana Pacers tonight, my Pacers, and I don't like their chances, especially knowing that we may not see Halliburton and we'll get the latest on that and a lot more when it comes to sports. Now this of course, this is also in the world of sports, but it's not as if we're going to be breaking down any kind of you know, any kind of action. It's about money in sports. And this is something that if you are in your own bubble and you just know that, hey, September's here, I'm going to turn on the TV on Saturdays and start watching my college football program that kind of stuff, and a lot of people are like that. But there's never been in my lifetime a bigger shift in college athletics than what we've seen in the last few years with the transfer portal and nil, but now with twenty million dollars at minimum moving forward being a bill that these universities have to cover, that's I think that's the biggest change here as far as just the overall sustainability of college athletics and u of L. We did find out yesterday it was Eric Crawford of WDRB who had a great breakdown as far as the financial situation at u of L. And they're no different than many others that are clearly going to have to make some big adjustments because I don't care who you are, twenty million dollars now being a payment you have to make annually that you didn't used to have to make is going to require you to have to make some real adjustments, real sacrifices, and that could certainly impact the non revenue sports. And I'm not at all surprised to see that they're taking on a line of credit the University of Louisville because they need help paying bills. And it sounds alarming, certainly, but I'm not surprised, and I don't really think it's anybody's fault. I think that's just the nature of where we are. Also, maybe by now the winners know that they've won. But there's a Louisville native, well they were in louisvill maybe they're not a little native, but that won the lottery. They've got the Lucky for Life ticket twenty five k a year. So like maybe right now you just realize, oh, I bought one of those. And if you just realize that, you need to look at your ticket and you just realized you won. I'm entitled to something because I'm the reason you thought to look for. I think I deserve at least something. I mean, I don't know if if we can maybe working with some kind of an arrangement, but anyways, we are. We're gonna have some fun today. It's nasty, it's wet outside, but that's okay. We'll keep you company and we've got your first update of traffic and weather coming up here, and we'll talk about what we can gather from President Trump's comments yesterday. It is Kentucky and it's Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas. It is five sixteen here at Kentucky and his Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. Sorry for butchering the weather. Sometimes we don't get it right as the show starts, because you know, the fine meteorologists that our partners over WK why they've got they got a lot going on, especially when you've got some rainy weather and it is also a holiday today. So I just assumed, hey, I'll go and look where I look every day and it's gonna be there, and then boom, it wasn't. So now I've got a reminder that I should make sure and check that before we start the show. But we do have scattered showers and storms that are expected this morning as the day's getting started. Can it continue in the afternoon. Some storms could produce heavy rain with highs in the upper sixties. It's to low seventies, and then of course as we move forward, that heat wave is coming, the first real heat wave of the year, and I don't know about you guys, but I'm not looking forward to it. The humidity gross and it's just getting started, like we really haven't actually hit summer yet, which is kind of scary for me because I don't love the humidity that we get around here, especially now that I've developed an issue with allergies that is getting better. But anyhow, your there's your delayed weather updates, so apologies there on my end, all right, so real quick, we'll talk to Rory and Neil about this coming up at five point forty five. But when it comes to yesterday's Yesterday's update, I mean, there's a lot of things that were said in regards to the current situation with Iran and Israel and what President Trump's going to do. But when he was asked about blasting Iron's nuclear sites, he gives you the Trump smirk and says, nobody knows what I'm going to do, And you can tell he genuinely is is I think enjoying that And he's keeping us guessing and we will we shall see. Now that was said earlier in the day, and then from then we we learned that he does have this according to the Wall Street Journal, that he has signed off on plans to hit Iron's nuclear sites and he let people know, but he's yet to give I guess the green light to make it happen. I guess he's waiting to see if Iran is it Iran or Iron helped me out here, Iran, Iran, Iran, Iran, Iran, Iran. Man, you have been holding that in to correct me, and I want you to know you can always correct me, because here I am out here saying it. Probably there's nothing worse than like if you say it, if you say it incorrectly, but you say it incorrectly incorrectly consistently, you can maybe just get away with like maybe you know it's a it's an accent or something. But when you say it wrong and you do it differently each time, it's a real obvious thing that you don't really know how the hell to say it. Which again that was me right there, So again Iran.
Speaker 2: Iran, Iran, you can put it to bed.
Speaker 1: There we go, all right, there we go. Now I know it is it is Iran. So anyhow he's yet to give all, you know, give the final green light for that to happen, but he's at least signed off on the attack plans if the attack does in fact happen. So also we we we according to Trump, there there's I guess some begging going on from Iran when it comes to the wanting to have some talks about this whole situation, and the vibe from from President Trump seems to be a little bit too late, fellas. And I think he enjoys knowing that they waited past the deadline. I guess that he gave them and he's he's he's got him, he's got him sweating. I suppose at this point now this is I guess, reassuring that he's not itching for a long term war. That's good, right, Thank you so much for seemingly wanting to avoid World War three. Really appreciate that. So again we'll get the latest freneury O'Neil. We've got sports coming your way with Scott Fitzgerald and uh, we've actually got a real update of weather coming your way from the professionals. Also a check on traffic because you know, you got to be careful out there. We got some wet, wet roads after a lot of rain overnight and already so far this morning. It is Kentucky and It's Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas it is five thirty five here Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. I was kind of joking when I said this at the beginning of the show, kind of not but there is somebody out there that may not realize that they have. They've won themselves a lot of money. So the Kroger location on the Grange Road here in Louisville, they have a Lucky for Life ticket that was sold that is worth twenty five thousand dollars a year for life. So that's not multiple millions of dollars that you get just upfront, but that's I mean that could not only is an extra twenty five k a year. I mean, that's something I think everybody could benefit from. Certainly some more than others, but still that could maybe get you in a position to where you could change careers, right, take a less stressful job that takes less out of you, and you have a better quality of life. And the salary difference between those two jobs potentially wouldn't be an issue because you now have twenty five K a year for life. So if you have the winning ticket and you're realizing it now because you say, oh, I bought one of those? Did he say the croker on the Grange Road in Louisville, That's where I got mine? And you see that you had by the way it was, it was June seventeenth and the drawing had numbers four, seven, twenty eight, thirty six, forty six with a lucky ball of two. So if that's you and you just realized that you have twenty five k for life, I didn't get least at least five to ten percent of that annually should be should go to me because I'm the one who made you aware that you you've you've now you know, you've changed your life in some some type of way. I mean, twenty five K year is not an insane amount of money, but there's a you know who wouldn't want that, who wouldn't benefit from that at least in some way. So you can you can milk twenty five k annually for at least twenty years, totaling five hundred thousand dollars, or you can grab a three hundred and ninety thousand dollars cash lump sum payment. So what would you do there, John, if.
Speaker 2: You help some one hundred percent? And not because I would spend it all in one place, but because I'm a saver, immediately put that the bank take it as needed. And I think, I mean, if I had three hundred thousand, whatever it was, nine there, three hundred ninety thousand, I'd be feeling pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I would probably do the same. But I will say, in most instances, whenever this question comes up after there's a lottery winner, what would you do? Would you take the lump sum or would you let it play out over many years where you get paid. I more often would take the give it to me every year, because that way, I just know that consistently this is coming in. And I don't know what I would do if I ever win the lottery. In fact, I know I'll never win the lottery because I never play lottery. I never buy a lottery ticket at all. And this I'm sure was not easy to hit. And it's not as if we're talking, you know, the mega millions, But for some reason, whenever there's not as much money on the lot up for grabs. It makes me feel as if it would be a little bit more easy to win, and it has me thinking maybe I should start buying lottery tickets. But I've never done it before. And they do say, the only way you know somebody's gonna win might as well be you, and the only way you can win is if you actually do play. But the chances of me put it this way, if I started spending let's just say, instead of making the weekly donation of you know, fifty bucks to FanDuel sports book, Draftking sports book, whatever it may be, instead of giving them money, let's just say I went to forty dollars a week. And I'm not even saying that's my that's the amount of money I spend. I'm just giving you, you know, an example. But let's just say I limited, briefly the amount of money that I that I bet on sports, and I started buying lottery tickets, and I did it for the next fifty years. If I live that long, there's a much greater chance that I donated all that money without any winnings than there is me actually winning money that could change my life.
Speaker 2: Now, it's a charitable man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. I'm very charitable. I'm donating oftentimes to all the sports books out there that'll take my money, and all of them will, and I'll also maybe start donating to the lottery too. So again, I know that the probability of winning is not great, and that's putting it lightly, but there is there is some truth to it. Well, you know, I can't be mad and jealous if somebody else won and I didn't when you know I didn't play. You're not a lottery guy either, right, I can't.
Speaker 2: Imagine played it maybe three or four times?
Speaker 1: Is it whenever it gets to be like the super bridge, whenever it's it's stupid to play it, then yes, exactly the time that And again I could be wrong here. I don't think I've ever actually purchased a lottery ticket on my own. My wife will play, and she doesn't do it often, but yeah, she'll wait until it's it's the mega millions we're talking, you know, some of the biggest winnings you'll see in the lottery, which of course makes it that's the worst time to play.
Speaker 2: Because if the thought is the logic behind is that, oh, there's gonna be so many people who buy ticket. Somebody's gonna win it this time around, it might as well be me, kind of like you said, And.
Speaker 1: If it is a minor spind I guess there's really no harm because potentially, you know, you could change your life and everybody else's life if you are the winner. But my wife is adorable in a lot of ways because she she'll have that lottery ticket in her hand, fresh fresh from the store, and by the time she gets home, she's already told me what we're spending all the money on, and she she just believe, you know, she's she's got some optimism. And I guess in a way that's entertaining, right, just like betting on sports, right, she's donating the lottery and enjoying the experience that comes with that until she finds out she didn't win. And you know, I donate money to sportsbooks because I, you know, like to think that I'm good at that, and I'm not. I'm not terrible, But in the end, it's it's certainly entertaining. I would I live with the donations I make because it does add an element to the sports experience that I really enjoy. All Right, we've got Rory O'Neil coming your way in about four minutes. But first let's get an update on weather and traffic right here at news Radio eight forty Whas five forty six here Kentucky, and it's morning news on news Radio eight forty whas. Nick coffee with you. It's no time to bring in Rory O'Neill of NBC News, and we are certainly going to get the latest on what President Trump is planning when it comes to Iran and Israel. But I did want to start Rory with the Trump Gold Card. More than seventy thousand people have expressed interest in the five million dollar Trump Gold Card, which of course provides a path US citizenship for wealthy foreigners. What can you tell us about how this works and who is in fact applying here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the site came online to register for it just a few days ago, and already we're hearing from Secretary Lutnik that there's big interest. Nearly seventy thousand people have signed up for this visa program. The Commerce Secretary says they put this website up last week Trump card dot gov. The applicants register their interest in the visa, provides some basic contact information. Now, maybe it's a lot of people just trying to test the system to see what's going on. But seventy thousand people, five million bucks a pop. That be a significant revenue stream.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. And do you know if there was any I guess you wouldn't know. I'm not you can't read the minds of people. But I didn't know if there was an expectation as far as what the initial interest would be, because again I wouldn't even be able to guess. But I feel like, to your point, seventy thousand people, I mean a five million dollars, that's a lot of money. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We also heard President Trump saying that in many cases, it could be corporations that pay for their employees to become citizens. So he gave the scenario, imagine someone at Apple or Google they want to bring in as some new corporate vice president, but they're living in a different country. Well let that look, you know, let the tech company pay the five million bucks for them as part of their compensation package to make that person an American citizen as they hired them to work here in the US.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it's also got to be thinking that if you are an employer that could really give you an edge over competitors at finding certain employees if you're willing to to go down this path. So yeah, it could be a big revenue stream for sure. But Rory and Aalem NBC News is our guest joining us here on news Radio eight forty whas let's discuss the latest here with the Iran and Israel situation. It sounds like President Trump doesn't want to have us in a World War three type situation, which which is good news for a lot of folks. But as far as plans to attack, the plans are there, but he hasn't yet, I guess, given he's approved the plans but hasn't given the green light to do anything just yet. Is that still where we are right now? Rory? Right?
Speaker 3: He says he wants to get this down to the last minute, was the term he used yesterday, saying that war can change in an instant. So if he makes a decision to use military force, including that bunker buster that we've all talked about, he said that would be essentially a game day decision that he'd make at the last minute, because getting the US involved certainly would intensify this conflict. There are concerns that Iran could retaliate against American assets that are in the Middle East or take action that could restrict international trade in oil, and you know, suddenly we're all paying seven eight nine dollars a gallon for gas, and of course that could be significant as well. So and most military analysts, We'll tell you this isn't a case of dropping one big bomb on a site in a mountain and leaving that. There would have to be further entanglements with the US military, thing that President Trump and many of his supporters want to avoid.
Speaker 1: Trump claims that Iran is begging for a White House powow, and not to say that he may be stretching the truth or embellishing, because he'd never do that. But what is that? I mean, do we know if there's any I mean truth to that is? I mean, I don't think that would be a complete lie. But is there anything other than just hearing that He's indicated that they want to talk, but he's saying maybe too late, fellas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's some back and forth. We know that there's some high level talks, either directly or indirectly with Iran about what their response to this is going to be Look, Israel is pretty much launching these attacks to bring about regime change. Yes, it's about diminishing Iran's ability to create a nuclear weapon. But Israel has essentially had enough and they want new leaders in Iran, and they're trying to even encourage the population there to rise up and bring about a change in leadership. So, you know, let's see if the Trump administration can find an exit strategy. Perhaps, you know, and they might have to work with other international partners. But you know, I think that's one of the issues, is that no one really sees how this can come to a peaceful end.
Speaker 1: Rory is always thank you at the time. We'll continue to monitor the situation and I'm sure we'll talk about the same thing again tomorrow.
Speaker 3: All Right, thanks Nick, take care that is Rory.
Speaker 1: And NEILIBINBC News always appreciate his time. All right, let's do this. Let's get an update on traffic and weather. We'll also have another update on sports with the one and only Scott Fitzgerald John Shannon with another newscast coming up at six o'clock. That's the schedule for these next roughly eight minutes or so, so stick around, but stick with us. All throughout the morning. We'll take you up till nine o'clock right here on news Radio eight forty whas