Speaker 1: All right, good morning, and welcome in sou Kentucky in his morning news here on News Radio eight forty whas. It is five to five here on June's second, twenty twenty five, and it's not Tony Cruz, he's retired. My name is Nick Coffee, and I'm excited to be here with you guys. I would hope that you know who I am. If not, allow me to introduce myself. I'm the new guy. I've been in this well. I've lived in Louisville my whole life. Don't plan on ever not being a Louisville native, and I am thrilled beyond belief to be able to have this opportunity. And I am joining a team that is already in place. Tony Cruz is retired. I'm kind of just entering the line up here because again the team is assembled. We've got Scotti Fitzgerald, who's been a part of News Radio eight forty whas for a long long time, and of course he's still here. He's with us this morning, and I'm reuniting with my former producer, mister John Alden, the company man, and of course John Shannon with the news. He'll still be in the mix. So again, the team that you have come to know and love is still here. But Tony Cruz has retired, and I like, I'm not gonna be Tony.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be me.
Speaker 1: If we could all be Tony, we would, right, But it's not. It's not that easy. That's not how it works. So I'm gonna be me, Nick Coffee. You will learn about me here and there. I'm not going to give you, you know, a four hour show this morning where I just you know, tell you who I am. I mean, I don't think that would be good anyways. But you'll learn about me over hopefully many many many years and looking forward to it in a big way. And I know that there are some that are a little resistant to change. And I'm you know, I know there'll be people that may tune in and think, who's this guy, Where's where's Tony Cruz. He's been with me every morning for twenty plus years and now he's gone.
Speaker 2: So just just give me a shot.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get what you continue to get here, which is your news, your traffic, your weather, things that you depend on every morning for your your commute or maybe just your routine. Maybe it's not just the commute, because obviously you can fire us up really anywhere if you've got some connection with the power.
Speaker 2: Of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 1: So I'll start by I guess to a poor attempted humor here, and I hope that you guys can pick up on sarcasm, because I do, in fact speak sarcasm, probably more than I should. I'll need to tone that down a little bit with this shift, but I will say, give it a shot. If not, come back tomorrow, we'll try it again. And after a while you've given it many chances and it's still not your cup of tea, then that's a you problem. You probably need to work on that I could. I'm joking, but again, I am so excited. It's been a crazy last few weeks to have this all kind of come together. And you don't mean I was going to say, you don't work in radio, you don't have a career in radio, and not understand the.
Speaker 2: Full just what eight forty whas is.
Speaker 1: It's different than anything else when it comes to radio, the history of the tradition. So it's something that long before I ever had a chance to work at iHeart Louisville, I knew and most people probably who don't and have never worked in radio ever wanted to know what eight to forty wha is is because of the history and the tradition, especially if you're somebody from the Kentucky and area. But in the last few weeks, it's really hit me just how amazing of an opportunity I have here to again join this team that's already in place. I was talking with Terry Miners on Friday and he was giving me a nice quick rundown just of the history of the morning show Kentucky and his Morning News and I was aware, but Terry Miners being the one to kind of lay it out, I just had that moment, well, you better not screw it up.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of what I've.
Speaker 1: Been thinking about the last few weeks, but or the last few days, I should say, some comfortable nerves because I'm so excited, but being here with Scott and the Johns and then everybody else within the team here and not just those that you hear on air, those behind the scenes, I'm comfortable. I mean, I hope it works out. I'm certainly gonna, you know, do my best and try to give listeners in the Knsuckyana area what they've they've come to expect, but also maybe add my own flavor. But I am, I'm really really excited, and I hope you guys are as well. We've got a big morning for you coming up. In fact, we've got your first update on traffic and weather. We'll also have sports coming up with Scotty Fitzgerald around five twenty five. John Shannon with your news at five point thirty. It is five to ten here at Kentucky in his morning news on News Radio eight forty whas it is five fifteen here at Kentucky and his morning news News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you, the new guy. How about that right after the first segment ever, it's my turn to go to weather, and I had it ready and I fumbled poor delivery on my part. But hey, I told you not that long ago as we started the show. There's there's been some very delicate and it's actually been worded differently, don't screw this up. So I've kind of, you know, in the last couple of days, been thinking, men, I better not screw this up. So so I'm making sure we've got everything set up on the board here to have a smooth operation this morning and completely forgot that.
Speaker 2: You know, you need to be ready to deliver weather. But I'll be ready the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: I'd be a liar if I said that'll never happen again, because you know I can't control if that does. I mean, I can control it, but I make mistakes.
Speaker 2: I'm human.
Speaker 1: But anyways, apologies for that. When I mentioned weather, I said winter weather, don't worry. Winter is not here. It is, in fact June second, and we've got summer weather that's going to be here today. Tomorrow is going to be really warm. Actually, so anyways, that won't be my first goof I I can assure you that. But it's Nick Coffee, Scott Fitzgerald and of course John Alden alongside. We'll have the news coming up at eight thirty with John Shannon, and I would imagine this will probably be something you'll hear about throughout the morning here, and that is the chaotic street takeover that took place on Barchtown Road over the weekend in the Highlands area. I guess this is the second straight weekend that this type of thing has happened, and obviously it's there's a lot of coverage of it, different social media videos that have emerged, or you've got large crowds, people climbing on vehicles. I think there were people trying to climb on top of the taco bell near there. I believe that was what was reported. So yeah, that's not good by any means. But one of the things that stood out to me just in the wky are partners over there their story on it was they were talking to some of the neighbors in the community that were being asked about things that they think could be done to maybe keep this from happening. As I suppose it's become a growing problem. And one of the native the area residents mentioned closing the bars a lot earlier than they do. And for those who don't know much about me, I'm thirty six, don't I don't have a real wild night life lifestyle anymore. I never really never did to be honest with you at all, but John ought to let me ask you this. You buy, I would hope you're not out at the bars. You've got a newborn.
Speaker 2: Baby at home, so I'm a bit doing different things.
Speaker 1: You're up late, having fun and you know, you know, changing diapers, being a new dab, but it's not out at the bars.
Speaker 2: I would assume.
Speaker 1: So if you and you may already know this, but if I just asked you, hey, when do you think like the latest bars in the bars in Louisville clothes, what would you guess?
Speaker 3: I think, realistically, you would think one or two in the morning would be what they would do.
Speaker 1: So I think I would have said the same thing. But I do remember when I was younger that you would run into people who were in Louisville visiting, or maybe you were actually I remember going to different cities for bachelor parties and whatnot, and we'd mentioned we were from Louisville, and in places like Nashville, which of course is a big party scene now, and obviously Broadway has become just a much different Broadway than it was fifteen twenty years ago, but they would almost be jealous, Oh wow, you guys.
Speaker 2: You guys get to stay out real late.
Speaker 1: So I don't think a lot of people realize that that Louisville's bars have not all of them making You can have your own preference as far as when you want to close, but one of the neighbors or one of the people that lived near in the neighborhoods I guess close to where this took place in the Highlands. You know mentioned closing closing down similar to what Lexington does, and apparently it depends on the liquor license, the type of liquor license that you have. So the currently a standard license. Bars and restaurants with a standard liquor license can serve alcohol until midnight, and that's Monday through Saturday from one pm to midnight. And there's an extended hours license, which again those are the night life places, places that are are going to be open as late as possible, and for a good chunk of that time they're not serving anything other than booze probably, I mean, you could do not have to get out, mean they're not serving food, I guess more so, it's what I mean. So if you have the extended hours license, you can stay open till four am, and I guess clearly there's still there's still a reason to do that as far as as far as business. But in Lexington, according to the research I'm looking at here, you know, they don't they don't have extended extended hours. I guess that they're not. I guess they're not. I guess the latest they could stay open would be like two and which to me, that's still really really late.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine wanting to be out that late.
Speaker 1: But hey, everybody's got different lifestyle and whatnot.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you're.
Speaker 1: Probably up as late as these folks, John, But again, it's diaper change stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been there. Man, It's it's a lot.
Speaker 1: But trust me, it may sound insane when I say this, but you'll miss it. It sounds crazy right now, especially probably at five twenty am, and you probably are running on fumes. But hey, it's all part of the process and it's it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We have got traffickan weather coming up here another update for you as well as sports with Scott Fitzgerald right here on Kentucky This morning News News ready to eight forty whas. Thank you John Shannon, Kentucky and is Morning News with Nick Coffee. That that made me even it made it real. Thank you, John Shannon. I think that's the first time anybody has said it this morning other than myself. But it is Kentucky and his Morning News and I am Nick Coffee. And again you just heard the news there from John Shannon. We've got Jo on all and alongside Scott Fitzgerald as well. He'll be back with sports coming up towards closer to six am. But John Shannon, he was in such a hurry to get here today because he was so excited to get the week started. And I assume he was excited because I'm making my debut here.
Speaker 2: Did he get pulled over?
Speaker 1: And he may not have wanted me to share that, but I'm excited how excited John Shannon was, so i just had to share it with folks. And I'm hopeful that you know, he didn't get a speeding ticket, but he is here, and I'm happy that he was.
Speaker 2: This excited as we as we get this rolling, all right.
Speaker 1: So, one of the things that has become I think a conversation not only that you hear about on news platforms like this, but I think it's a conversation among friends, among co workers, and that is getting your real ID. Because obviously that was a big, big thing at the beginning of May May seventh, was that was the cutoff for compliance for the real ID enforcement. Without a real ID, passport, military ID, or other acceptable forms of identification, you're going to face additional hurdles at the airport security that you know, more hurdles than you typically get. But John Alden, do you have your real idea young man?
Speaker 3: I do not know a scenario where I would need mine in the immediate.
Speaker 1: So that's I think there's so much coverage for good reason, right you want to I mean people need to realize when it comes to flying. I mean you can have I mean, you can have a nightmare travel situation when it comes to the airport and it's completely out of your control. But if you end up having an issue and it's because you didn't realize you didn't have the right forms, at that point you feel like, okay, now you just add in a goof on your end, and then all the potential nightmare situations you may have that have the airport is very important, right We use it a lot, and I prefer flying than driving. But you just have to know going in that you really have no control. You hope that you that things go off smoothly, but that isn't always the case, and I'm sure a lot of us have learned that. But anyways, with the real id, my wife I appreciate her greatly, but she is she's not at all a procrastinator and I am. So what I didn't realize is that initially you've been able to get a real ID since I think it was twenty twenty nineteen. Which did you realize that, John? And I'm not putting you on the spot tackle you know, to ask you, like, were you educated enough on this?
Speaker 2: But because it's just been such a talking.
Speaker 1: Point lately, because the deadline was was May seventh, I just assume, Well, there's no way I know I wasn't proactive enough. I wasn't somebody that was making sure I was on top of it. But I didn't realize actually got my real ID a long long time ago.
Speaker 3: I remember a couple of years ago in my previous licensed expire, they asked if I wanted to upgrade to a real ID, and I didn't know there was going to be a requirement where I had to, so I said no.
Speaker 2: It was more so much of option. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and what you may not ever need it, because you I shouldn't say ever needed, But it sounds as if your decision was more so based off the fact that for the time being, you're not in any big hurry to get it, and maybe if you need it at some point, you'll wait, because it sounds as if the issue just been getting an appointment.
Speaker 2: With a lot of folks.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's what's come up in conversation is because I think a lot of people procrastinate it, which makes me not feel so bad about being a procrastinator. And they're trying to scramble to see if they can get an appointment because maybe they've got they've got a trip planned this summer, because obviously people travel a lot, go on vacations in the summer. But yeah, I was There's many many moments throughout my everyday life where I'm thankful for my wife for you know, being the real grown up in our in our relationship, in our marriage.
Speaker 2: But she got me.
Speaker 1: She had me go with her to get our IDs done a long time ago, and I didn't realize it that it was because we needed a real ID, But that was I mean, again, you've had the opportunity to get this if you wanted one and needed one for a really, really really long time, you wanted a real if there was if there was a checklist out there about all right, if if seven of these fifteen things are true, then you are a really bad procrastinator. I think I would be towards I would. I would probably have a lot more than seven. My car does not update the time automatically with the time change, so it still says that it's an hour off, and I, just like I might, I probably will leave it that way until it's then correct because I just never changed it. That's It's just me. I'll do better, at least I'll try. All Right, It's five forty here at Kentucky and it's morning news. We've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way right here on news Radio eight forty Whas.
Speaker 2: It's five forty five here at Kentucky and it morning news.
Speaker 1: Nick coffee with you on a beautiful, beautiful Monday morning, John Shannon. We'll have your next news update coming up at six o'clock. But before that, Scott Fitzgerald with another update on sports. In roughly ten minutes, We've got John Alden alongside today. And I don't know how many people make it a point to get out to Churchill Downs other than you know, the big week of course, where in fact, I would imagine a lot of locals would love to at least get a taste of experiencing Churchill Downs during Derby week. Maybe it's Derby, maybe it's Oak so maybe it's one.
Speaker 2: Of the other days.
Speaker 1: Obviously five oh Tuesdays become a big thing, and uh, I've been a couple of times during the spring racing since the Derby and you know, much less crowded. Uh, but it was a lot of fun. And I just saw that there was something that took place over the weekend.
Speaker 2: That that is rare.
Speaker 1: So this this isn't something I'd given a whole lot of thought about, but I guess when you do consider it, it's it's not it's not a surprise that it's a rare thing. But horses that have won at won the Kentucky Derby, and most of them, you know, you can I'm not somebody who can go year by year and tell you every single winner, but you hear a name and you probably think, oh, yeah, I don't remember maybe what year that derby was, but but I remember that name because winning the Derby is is.
Speaker 2: A is a pretty big deal.
Speaker 1: But uh, Mystic Dan ended up coming back over the weekend and and was a was a winner at Churchill Downs after winning the Derby and again when it comes.
Speaker 2: To just how how rare that is.
Speaker 1: I usually if you if you win the Derby after that, you know you're going to try to hopefully be in position to have that horse in in the Belmont and the Preakness and whatnot. But yeah, as of as of this moment, only a select few Derby winners have returned to win another race. And Mystic Dan did it because he was the winner of the one hundred and fiftieth Kentucky Derby last May, and on May thirty first, this past weekend, he returned to Churchill Downs and won the Great Three Blamestakes, becoming the first Derby winner in nearly thirty years to secure another victory at Churchill Downs. The last time it happened was Silver Charm, who did it in nineteen ninety eight, and again Silver Charm that by the way, Silver Chummer won the Derby in ninety seven, but came back and won won the Clark Handicap in nineteen ninety eight. Silver Charm is a name I remember, but I wouldn't have been able to just tell you off the top of my head what year it was. But yeah, if you win the Derby, and maybe this is me being a Kentucky Derby snob, and I don't mean somebody that you know is a big horse racing guy.
Speaker 2: I love the Derby.
Speaker 1: I don't know a ton about the sport of horse racing, but I mean, if you win the Derby, does it get any better than that? Obviously accomplished? The triple Crown feed is something really rare, and that's the top accomplishment in horse racing. I doubt that you don't need to be somebody that's an expert on that sport to know that, But I thought that was interesting. For the first time in a long long time, a Derby winner comes back and wins another race at Churchill Downs. But Scott Fitzgerald's going to have more sports for you coming up a little bit later on. But real quick, I didn't want to mention this as we are roughly an hour into our morning news here. Big congrats to Dan McDonald and his team. I mean, Louisville baseball this year had a bounce back season and clearly looked as if they were safely going to make the field. But man, they might have been one of the coldest teams that got into the field of sixty four. But they are now headed to the super Regionals after a couple of big wins. They knocked off Vanderbilt, which of course was the top overall seat, only for Vandy to then lose on Saturday. I believe it was or I'm sorry no, they lost Sunday, which led to Louisville then playing last night against Wright State, which they got the victory, and now they're going to face the winner of today's winner take all regional final between sixteenth seas Southern Miss in Miami. So if Southern Miss wins, Louisville is going to be headed to Hattiesburg next weekend. And if the Miami Hurricanes win, then Louisville will be hosting them. But yeah, Vandy becomes the first team ever to be a number one overall seed and not make it to the regional final. It's happened to where you don't get out of the regional. But they just went over two to start it. And that was all she wrote. So I will admit, and I'm glad I've got the great resource that is Scott Fitzgerald. I'm not somebody that keeps up with college baseball really at all. I mean I would lie to you and be like, I don't really keep up with it that much. I don't really keep up with it at all other than just knowing what UL is up to, because obviously I'm a Louisville fan. But the postseason in college baseball is exciting, good TV product, and I feel like it's growing each and every year, and I'm sure we can get to this at some point. I'm not sure if it's going to be in Scott's update down the line here, but you had a coach yesterday for Coastal Carolina just unload on Florida's coach and a little surprising.
Speaker 2: You don't see it very often.
Speaker 1: I guess that's just say you don't hear it very often in regards to just how strongly outspoken he was with an.
Speaker 2: Issue he had with Florida's head coach.
Speaker 1: But I like it the drama calling another coach out at the podium. I mean that that adds to some entertainment in my opinion. All Right, your next update of trafficking Weather's coming up right now. Also another update of sports from Scott Fitzgerald at IS five point fifty at Kentuckuy his morning news right here on news Radio eight forty whas