Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the Buckeye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaban here right now with Jack Mlutty.
Speaker 2: Jack, Tony, how's it going?
Speaker 3: Fantastic?
Speaker 1: We have not spent a lot of time you and I talking about Legend BA, and that is what the show is about. Tom and I have done a series of expectations shows on various players, So now I want to talk to you about your expectations for Legend BA, my expectations for Legend BA, the expectations from inside the program, and.
Speaker 3: How realistic those are.
Speaker 1: Because what I was told back in before spring ball like six to eight touches for Legend Bay and that they're very serious about that. I don't know where those are gonna come from, because I know they want to do some kickoff return as well. But you might get one of those a game, and then you might get a catch. So you're talking five or six carries a game, which is what Isaiah West averaged last year when he was in So.
Speaker 3: Is six to eight touches possible?
Speaker 2: I when I hear six to eight touches, like immediately the number sounds like that's not that much, But then when you really think about.
Speaker 3: It and you think about the limited.
Speaker 2: Amount of plays they're running, even sixty three plays a game, half of those. I mean, it's just I don't really feel like that's gonna be something that is gonna be reasonable with this offense and the number of weapons. But that's based on how I feel about where he's going to be in the offense this year, which is not I mean, it's totally possible that he could end up kind of eating into one of those starting running backs carries, but that's not where I have him right now. I have, you know, obviously Bo and Isaiah at the top, and then I got Jakobe. Kind of is that that third guy getting some carries as well? And if that's the case, where does Legend get all those carries?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Total possibility that he blows everybody away as a you know, as a standard running back taking carries, and then he flies right up to the depth chart.
Speaker 3: But I don't know if that's if.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm confident enough to say I think we're going to see six to eight at this point.
Speaker 1: And really, you say, it does not sound like much. That's Carnell tape, right, that's a productive wide receiver. Six to eight touches a game, and so when you're putting that on a true freshman, even as a running back, that's still a significant number of touches. It's just a matter of who are you taking those touches from. And the way that it was explained to me is like, he's not part of the running back battle. His situation is already solidified, Like it's almost not worrying about where he's taking touches from. It's like who's taking his touches because these six to eight are happening and then everybody else is gonna have to deal with it. And the thing is with running backs, five of those touches could get no yards, and then it's like, well, why do you keep giving this guy the ball? He's getting tackled in the backfield, and then one touch goes for seventy yards and you're like, why are you not giving this guy the ball more? Yeah, And so that's the fun and the give and to take. I think the legend bay this year, but I do agree he is going to be a legitimate running back. He's not just some as urban Myrier used to say, a hood ornament, where he's just out there trying to distract or be a decoy. I think there's plenty of usage for him. And as Ryan Day said on Wednesday, he's he's also learning receiver a little bit. We saw that in the spring where he takes some takes some reps there. I I know we're all looking forward to seeing it.
Speaker 3: I just do.
Speaker 1: You think when they say six to eight, could it be more like is six to eight is that the baseline?
Speaker 3: And it won't go below that?
Speaker 4: Assuming he's good, Assuming he's good, six to eight's got to be the base, like, assuming he reaches what we think he's capable of, the way we've heard Ryan Day talk about him, the way we've heard Carlos Laughlin talk about him is kind of different, right, It's a little bit different.
Speaker 3: There's a different tone. You can't deny that.
Speaker 2: And if he's getting six to eight touches and those are going as expected, which I mean it sounds like.
Speaker 3: And Ryan Day said it again here a to media days yesterday.
Speaker 2: When asked a bottom just the tone in which he was you know, yeah, he can do it was just like, of course you can in.
Speaker 3: The size Tony.
Speaker 2: We've seen him put on some masks quick, some good mask real quick. I mean, if he's actually producing in a way that we think he might be able to, then six to eight has to be the baseline. Because we sit here and we talk about these when we've heard it all off season, Tony. People aren't quite happy with the running backs last year, that right there, what you saw wasn't good enough. And we just listened to Ryan Day yesterday say this is the room I'm watching. This is the room that I'll be focused on as we go into the preseason.
Speaker 3: They want more.
Speaker 2: So if you're getting a repeat of what you got last year, and Legend comes in and he's doing what we think he might be capable of, then six D eight has to be the baseline.
Speaker 1: Well, and we saw Carlos Locklin his up. The chart moves up and down based on production and quickly, yeah, he doesn't wait too long and the opportunity, the opportunity will be there for legendiate because they're gonna carve out something for him, especially in that game one, unless they're gonna hold him and it's like spring him on Texas, which I don't think you should do that you're not gonna let him. Your first game is at Austin dealing with that no at night. No, you want to get him some carries in that first game against Paul State and get that experience and get that first time or out of him. But we saw Bo Jackson didn't play against Texas last year, so I wouldn't be shocked if Legend doesn't do it. But there will be a some times where he's out there and he's not getting the ball. So again there's also snaps he's taking from somebody else. He's not gonna be out there to pass block. We know that when he's out there to you know, whether he's out in motion and flexed out, he's going to draw some attention just because it's like, why is he out there? He's gonna they're gonna do something there, which maybe opens things up for other people. Hedge putter, how often they can use him without using him? And is it too early for him to have this sort of gravity where the defense knows watch that guy, because right now he's not there yet. He's just I mean, Texas knows him because the former quarterback from Texas, so he hasn't built that yet. Maybe that comes after the Texas game or because of the Texas game.
Speaker 2: It just might and they well, they got into his recruitment real lay right at the end there they started trying to trying to make a push.
Speaker 3: So they certainly know him. They know all about what he's about.
Speaker 2: They know that he's got the wild news and the magic or whatever however Locke described or what he's as a magician or whatever he said. But you know when we talk about Legend in this, uh, you know him having these touches, these potentially like these are his and everybody, you know, depending on what he does, he might get more, but nobody's just gonna eat into his. This almost feels like when you bring in Jakobe Jackson, like what's his role? Right, because that is like I really feel like he's a in the similar mold to Isaiah and bow right, Like those three are very similar. And you bring him in and now you've got Jacoby and Legend both kind of competing for what I think are these third running back steps, and this situation is just like I don't know, man, because I think Jacoby's also got some juice too. He does, and the potential of Legend not playing well early, making a dumb mistake early also exists, And all of a sudden, now we're looking at Okay, we're waiting till the next half of the season to get those six days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you see a fumble against Paul State, he might have six to eight touches in the year after that because he will not see the field against Texas, and that's part of dealing with the freshman. But I'm with you on Jacoby Jackson because it's like he was very good in the spring.
Speaker 3: He did some things.
Speaker 1: He's never been great anywhere, although he did rush for our hundred yards against Texas in twenty twenty four. He's viewed as the replacement for CJ. Donaldson's but they don't need that guy. This year they needed they needed a bigger back. Last year they've got Isaiah West bo Jackson are bigger in Jacoby Jackson. He's a third bigger type back. And it's I think his value is the experience because without him, you've got two sophomores, a freshman, a retro freshman too true freshman, and a retrip freshman two sophomore. So I think the room aspect of it being able to come in at any point if needed, I think, but I don't think there's any way that Carlos Laughlin is holding Legend back because of Jacoby Jackson.
Speaker 2: The only thing that's gonna hold Legend back is Legend. Yeah, yeah, I definitely agree with that. There's no way that we're gonna see Jacoby Jackson just like all right.
Speaker 3: We're on an even playing field.
Speaker 2: Whoever wins with like Legend this is this is his gig in that role, and he's gonna feaster famine based on what he does.
Speaker 3: As far as I'm much, you can play.
Speaker 2: But what I think, you know, Jacoby's biggest role for me is if there's an injury, I think you got a guy that's really solid who can do what those guys do, and that's great.
Speaker 1: And they've got running backs with injury histories they do they do, and we've had quite a few seasons recently with injury history.
Speaker 3: So I think it was a great move.
Speaker 2: But as far as Legend six to eight, I think that that will end up potentially being the baseline in the second half of the year.
Speaker 3: I just don't know if I can commit to saying that in.
Speaker 2: The first half, yeah, but I do think he will perform really great. Like I'm looking really really looking forward to this.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to give you some some numbers.
Speaker 1: You tell me over under fifty nine carries, three and ten yards. That's that's Isaiah West's numbers last year. By the way, do you uh I would go I may go under the carries and over the yards, but.
Speaker 3: I really yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Here's where I'm gonna go over because the situation entering the season last year was two different ahead of the two better backs Bow and Isaiah, And had those guys not been in the picture and it was Bo and Isaiah in the same situation, I think Isaiah would have gone over that considerably obviously. So I'm gonna go over for both through legend. Definitely for the yards and way definitely over.
Speaker 3: On the two touchdowns. Oh yeah, oh yes, over on the two catches.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, over on the zero kickoff returns, yes, yes, So what do you guys think? Go ahead and throw your comments. Is Juck crazy about all of these overs? Is he way out of his out of his depth on this legend based stuff, even though all we're doing is repeating stuff we've been hearing about legend Bay from the people who would know. So go ahead it thumbs up. Continue to find us over at Buckey Insiders dot com. Would love to see you there, and if you're listening and want to watch, you can find us at YouTube dot com slash at Buckeye Insider. So thanks for tuning in and we'll talk to you all later.
Speaker 4: It happen, it's time.
Speaker 3: What about using through a way?
Speaker 4: Don't no one tell me I wish you'd never been nothing to me?
Speaker 3: Where down.
Speaker 2: Where my father?
Speaker 4: If you can tell me that's a moot's all right?
Speaker 3: We could steal currently that