Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp, The House Whisper on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Hey, welcome to home, where every week we help you better understand that place where you live. I am Dean Sharp, the House Whisper, or custom home Builder, custom home designer, and your guide to turning your ordinary house into an extraordinary home. Whether you are listening to us on the local broadcast right here in southern California, or streaming us digitally from wherever across the globe, here or anywhere else, or if you joined in for another episode of The House Whisper on demand podcast, I am just so very glad that you are here. We are doing an all calls weekend and nothing but your calls today, and I want to get back to the phone so we can get as many calls in as possible. I want to talk to Nishe Niche. Welcome home.
Speaker 3: I have a situation going on with my front lawn. It hasn't worked its way to the backyard yet, hopefully it doesn't. I have this statching going on. I'm not sure, like what it is. I've been told it's possums. I've been told it's raccoons. It's like, I go out and all my grass has been ripped up, and I'm getting these false spots in the lawn and I am not sure how to make.
Speaker 1: It go away, premature balding of the lawn. Have you have you done any surveillance so.
Speaker 3: I do have cameras, and I have not I've never noticed any creatures roaming around.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, kind I kind of figured that was the case. Yeah, you know, a lot of people blame possum and raccoons for messing up lawns. But you know, as if they just get come out in the middle of the night with their shovels and just decide, you know what, let's get under her skin and just take some of this lawn away, it really doesn't happen that way. It's more likely, you know, like the only larger mammal that really terrorizes lawns on a regular basis are you know, like gophers and prairie dogs, those kinds of things that come up from underneath and leave little mounds of dirt, and those are easy to identify because they've left behind the dirt from the tunnel that they've dug. But by and large, you know, I don't know. There's a handful of causes for balding lawn areas. It could be heavy foot traffic, but obviously that doesn't sound like it's a situation. Could be poor soil condition that is starting to kind of spread. That's a possibility, of course, your classic the neighbor's dogs are peeing on your lawn, But that use starts with a noticeable yellow patch first. But when you just find that there's bare soil in the lawn, I have found, generally speaking that it's a grub infestation. And you're like, oh, Cross, what is that. It's very simple. There are little, tiny little beetles out there that are all around us, and there are some species that like to, you know, lay their eggs in the soil of our lawns because they're nicely protected areas. And then as the grubs start to hatch, the little grub beetles, they're feeding on the roots of our grass and as a result of these bald patches start to occur. So it could be any one of those issues. I mean, you could have like a fungal disease or a chemical burn. But I'm putting my money on grubs because by and large that's my experience with this. Fortunately, it's not that difficult to deal with. What you do is, first of all, you go get some grub treatment and you will find that on the shelf of just about every garden center everywhere. That you mix into the soil, and that gets the grubs under control. They're not spreading everywhere, They're just where the bald patches are.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And you rough up the soil, add a little amendment to it, figure out what kind of grass you actually have, add some seed, keep it moist, and you'll grow the grass back.
Speaker 3: Okay, So add the grub killer and this and fertilizer at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, good to know. And then you need to reseed that area and keep it extra moist and you know, give the give the new seeds a shot the best fighting chance possible.
Speaker 3: Okay, what do you suggest for watering times? I'm always confused on that.
Speaker 1: Well, for watering times for a lawn in southern California, it all depends on the efficiency of your sprinklers. But not too long, you know, I mean, most lawns can will water down with good sprinkler system in a half hour or so. It also has to do with your soil condition, whether you've got clay or you know, rocky soil or sandy soil. In other words, how well how well your soil holds on to the moisture that's given to it. But here's a general rule. There are some guides out there that you can look up and say, Okay, I've got this kind of grass and this kind of lawn. I live in southern California. How long should I be watering my lawn with decent sprinkler coverage? And then what I like to do? And I think this is just the most efficient, most effective ways I like to break that up. So let's say, in fact, my smart watering system does that if forty minutes is the amount of time that an area needs to be irrigated, then my smart watering system will break that up into you know, three twenty minute sessions that are about a half an hour apart, so that we water a little bit, we let that soak in fully and become fully effective, and then we water again, and then you know, you understand what I'm saying, So breaking it up into two or three cycles. And always here in southern California, in the middle of the night. Okay, not in the early morning when everybody can see the sprinkler's going off. Not during daylight hours. And the very simple reason is that sun evaporates water. I want all the water going into your soil. Now, this is not true if you live back east or you live somewhere where it's much colder and much wetter, because there, we want a water during daylight hours so that we're not building up too much water content and creating mold and fungal growth and all of that kind of stuff. But not here in southern California. No one in Southern California should ever see your sprinklers going off unless they're up in the middle of the night. That's how we take most efficient youth of our water. I want it all in the soil and so it's doing its job fully and effectively. Nishe, thanks for the call. Go check that out, check out your watering times, and go check out the grub treatments that you'll find at the garden center, and also figure out what kind of grass you've got and buy that receding mix so that Once you get the grubs under control, then you know you can grow in those patches. It's not a terminal situation. You can fix it. I promise when we come back, we'll get to more of your calls. This is Dean Sharp, the House Whisper on KFI. Welcome to Home, where every week we help you better understand that place where you live. I'm Dean Sharp, the House Whisper here with you live like I am every weekend, or whether you are listening to the local broadcast right here in southern California, or you're streaming us live from across the country, or if you have joined in for another episode of the House Whisper podcast. I am just glad that you are here with us. Good morning to you, and welcome home. We are doing an all calls weekend. Hey Wayne, welcome home.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Thanks.
Speaker 4: Got a question.
Speaker 2: I me a total house rebuild, and in the rebuild, the guys doing insallation put in ceiling which I'm not sure if I should call them on it or not. There's a vaulted ceiling in the house, but the bedrooms and kitchen are all lower I mean eight foot ceilings, and they put insulation in the ceilings of all the rooms except the kitchen, where they put it in the rafters by the roof instead. Is that a problem?
Speaker 4: Does that affect heating and.
Speaker 2: Cooling or what?
Speaker 1: Okay? So the ceiling in the kitchen is an eight foot ceiling. Yeah, so they didn't put the insulation in the ceiling. They put it up in the rafters. Did they explain why?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? And that air the area directly above the kitchen, that area of attic, does it connect to other areas of attic open attic space?
Speaker 2: The attic is all connected, yeah, connected all across the bedrooms, in the kitchen, it's all like attic area.
Speaker 1: All right. So if I crawl through the attic or walk through the attic, whatever the case may be, if I get up in the attic, then I've got insulation down on the floor of the attic until I get over the kitchen then and all of a sudden it's up above in the roof rafter. Right, you're correct, Yeah, that's not that's not cool. Oh what is that effect?
Speaker 2: How does that change things?
Speaker 1: Well, what it is is that your attic is an unconditioned space. Okay. The whole reason we're insulating on the surface of the ceiling. Is that we want to keep the conditioned space, the conditioned air, meaning whatever we've heated or whatever we've cooled in the house. We want to keep those temperatures there, okay, and so and not in the attic. We don't share conditioned temperatures, can you know, controlled temperatures with the attic space. It's it's cut off. It's a separate space. It's technically kind of outside the house in essence, So we need that diaphragm of insulation to be complete over the whole thing. And so as it is right now, That's why I asked if it was if it's been isolated in the attic with other walls and things in the attic, then if the if the kitchen area or the area above the kitchen is isolated from the rest of the attic space, then that could be fine because what we ultimately need is insulation above the kitchen. But the fact that the kitchen ceiling has that that heat and cool that's down below in there can just soak right through unimpeded by insulation into the attic and vice versa. It's essentially it's a hole. It's a hole in your insulation, and so so that insulation needs to be down over the kitchen ceiling as well, period, because you need a blanket of insulation that seals up the house. So it's kind of a hole in the hull of the boat. The fact that the insulation is up in the in the rafter space above the kitchen, that's meaningless that it's not doing anything up there. Okay, it's just it's literally not doing anything. It needs to be down on the surface with the rest of the insulation in the act.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, I'll get them.
Speaker 1: The change, get them on it. Thanks Wayne, great question, Bertie, Doctor Richard, Hey Richard, welcome home.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 4: I just had a question on whether the foundations that are left after a home fire can be reused.
Speaker 1: That is a really really good question. Is that just a curiosity or do you have a foundation that is in question yourself.
Speaker 4: It's a curiosity professional and personal.
Speaker 1: There are always exceptions to every rule, so I'll just start by saying that, and there is a I'm sure there are a handful of foundations out there that might be salvaged from this disaster, even though the house above them was burnt to the ground. However, I think the proper expectation is that to know the foundations underneath the house when it has burnt to the ground, especially in a mass fire event like this, are very very likely not going to be saved. And there's a couple of reasons why. Number one, there is no it's not It has nothing to do with the fact that you know they didn't catch on fire. But if you take a look at concrete, concrete is actually not affected by flame per se, but concrete is affected by high heat. And when an entire house is burning to the point where it's all coming down, the heat inside that zone is intense. You know, fifteen hundred degrees plus is easily easily achieved. And when you think about the components of concrete, concrete is a is a recipe. It is a cement that is the actual you know, adhesive binder in concrete cement portland cement. And then you've got large aggregates like gravel three quarter inch gravel and sand and it's the sand inside the concrete that at high temperatures turns to glass. As we all know, if you melt sand down you can turn it to glass. So there is a there's a process that when concrete is exposed to stream heat, in which the concrete actually becomes siliconized. It actually, even though it looks the same as it did before, it has actually changed its chemical structure and it's become more brittle. The sand, which originally was a fine aggregate inside the cement, is now a glassy component inside the cement. So that's one reason why a lot of the foundations, most I would say, of the foundations in the houses that are burnt down, are not going to be reusable. And the second reason is that under again that high heat, any lines of value that are running underneath that concrete, like plastic abs, drain lines coming off of toilets and sinks and so on, any electrical lines, even though the conduits themselves probably were unaffected, but those conduits heat up, the conductor inside those conduits will absolutely have to be tested and replaced. And the chances are the damage of the lines that are running underneath the slab are such that we'd have to even if the slab was in perfect shape, we'd have to saw cut the slab open in order to run new lines, or we wouldn't be yanking out the old ones, we'd just be running new lines, And by the time we have dealt with the fact that the slab has changed its chemical composition somewhat and we've got to make a lot of saw cuts in it in order to get new drain lines or pull old ones out of the way. Now we've pretty much messed up this slab in extremes. So that's why I'm saying, by and large, it will be more cost effective and wiser from a structural perspective to just pull most of those slabs, scrape the lot, and restart from new. Does that help understand the situation?
Speaker 4: Certainly does?
Speaker 1: All right, Richard, thank you for your call, sir, how about some more of your calls when we return. You are listening to Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty, camp I.
Speaker 1: AM sixty and live streaming in HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Hey, welcome to home where Every week we help you better understand that place where you live. I am Dean Sharp, the house Whisper, custom home builder, custom home designer. Most importantly, today, your guide to turning your ordinary house into something truly extraordinary. I tell you what we're doing today. It's an all calls day. It is it. You set the agenda. Anything that is going on with your home, whether it be construction issues, DIY questions, design concerns, anything at all. The phone lines are open. I am here to help you sort it all out. We'll put our heads together and we'll get it sorted. I promised. Here is the number to reach me, and these lines are open now. The number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three two Ask Dean. You see it just rolls off the tongue on that note. How about we go to it. We're going to take some calls. Anything you want to talk about, so let's get to it. I want to talk to Ginger. Ginger, welcome home.
Speaker 6: I have a question about the attic area in my home.
Speaker 3: My home has a little.
Speaker 6: Entry to the attic in the area between the two front bedrooms. There's a little opening there, and I have to get a ladder to climb up and get up into the attic.
Speaker 4: Through that section.
Speaker 6: The section that is connected to the kitchen area is all four and I can put things up there and store things there. But the whole other section of the house the entire complete attic area is just covered with the foam insulation thing. And when I have made my way up into that little opening that's in the hallway between the bedrooms, it's dark and there's nothing but foam insulation. And I was wondering if it's okay for me to try and put down flooring up there so that I could get up there and do something with the space without having to have a license or fees that I have to pay with the city and things like that. Also, at one point in time, I had seen these ingenious little slats that are like roll They're like rolls that you roll out and they're slack that end up being a floor. And I don't know if they're still around anywhere, but if they are, I wondered if you were aware of them and if that would be something I could do.
Speaker 1: Okay, So a lot of pack, a lot of stuff packed into those questions there. I am going to disappoint you on on a couple of levels, but let me start with a positive one. Yeah, I've seen those slats. Those are great. Uh, they're basically roll mats. They're they're rigid roll mats and they can come in they can come in handy in a lot of situations. Okay, so there's nothing wrong with them. There's they're out there around you probably find them on Amazon these days or other places like that. Here's the thing, Ginger, everybody wants to utilize as much attic space as possible these days for storage and stuff like that. I get it, I get it. I totally totally understand that. However, our homes and and and where where is it that you live, Ginger out and see me Valley. Okay, so our homes in southern California, buy and large are not designed for addicts to be a part. I mentioned this earlier in the show, to be a part of the conditioned air space of the house. That means that insulation, a nice thick layer of insulation fiberglass or cellulose insulation, whether it's rolled bats or whether it's blown in, but a nice thick layer equivalent to R thirty for energy savings and all of that air conditioning expanse, heating expense and the like your general comfort in the home. R thirty is what we're shooting for in the attic. And that's thick. That's thick stuff. When people go up into their attics and make platforms, in other words, create an area of flooring. I don't have any big issue with that, okay, but just got to understand every square foot of flooring that you create up in your attic space for storage, you are squishing down and minimizeing, and you're reducing your attic insulation below the line of what where the bar should be set. Okay, because if you've got I'm gonna guess in SeeMe Valley tracked home in seem Valley, if we've got two by six ceiling joists running across the room, six inches or five and a half inches of space for insulation is not enough to reach that R thirty marker. So if we've squished it down because we've put plywood up there for storage, now you know, a few square feet fine, you know who's gonna know the difference. You probably won't notice the difference. But the more you do that up in your attic, the more of that area that you squish down and minimize that insulation, then the more compromised insulation wise your home becomes. And just to add on to that, some people will go overboard when it comes to the amount of storage up there. Some people even say, well, my roof is high enough, I could make a room up there. Well, that's debatable because if it was never designed to have human habitation up in there, then there's also a very distinct chance that the ceiling joists themselves are not floor joist rated. They're just ceiling joist rated. They're not designed to support a tremendous amount of hundreds or thousands of pounds of weight. So my answer to the question is a qualified Sure, you could add a little bit of storage area up in an attic, but no, that every time you do it, we are compromising the insulation of the house. And that most Southern California single story homes, well it's second story homes too, It doesn't really matter. Most attics in southern California are not designed to be load bearing in any significant sense or insulation compromised attic space when you put a platform up there. So that's my concern. My concern about accessing the attic in that way is that we run the risk of messing up the thermal continuity of the house, and you can overload an attic, and that's not a good thing as well. Now, can it be done? Of course, I was just saying before the break, anything can be done. If you are so committed to storage in a certain area of your attic and you want to preserve the insulated quality, then you could spill that area underneath the platform with rigid insulation. It's going to be more expensive, rigid insulation that compensates for the loss of the loft of the fluffy stuff basically, but that's more expensive, and it's very intentional. And if we're really starting to put lots of load up there, then we need to talk to an engineer about whether the kind of stuff we want to store up there is actually going to be well supported by the house, or if it's going to put too much of a load on those poor little ceiling joyces whose job originally was just to hold some insulation and hold up the drywall on the lid of the ceiling. That's the best I can tell you, side unseeing Ginger, So think those things through and then make decisions accordingly. And thank you so much for your call. I'm so glad you joined me this morning. Hang tight, there is more to come. You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp the house whisper camp. I am six forty and live streaming in HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Hey, welcome to home, where every week we help you better understand that place where you live. I am Dean Sharp, the house whisper, custom home builder, custom home designer. Most importantly, today, your guide to turning your ordinary house into something truly extraordinary. We are doing an all calls. We nothing but your calls today, and I want to get back to the phone so we can get as many calls in as possible. Let's talk to Sally. Hey, Sally, welcome home.
Speaker 4: I have a question about my nineteen fifty seven back home, and I keep getting these letters in the mail from I think the gas company asking me if I want insurance from my gas and sewer lines that go from my home to the street. Yeah, And I just want to know is that I mean I kind of worry about the sewer line, the gas line. I never even gave a second bot to being the age of my house and have no idea what kind of pipes it has. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So yeah, you know, I think everybody is a really good question, because I'm pretty sure everybody in southern California has consistently received those letters. Now, I mean we get them. I don't know how how often do we get a letter from the gas company, Tina saying do you want insurance on the exterior lines? Like it once a year, a couple of times anyway. So I think they're covering, They're they're reaching out to everybody.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I can tell you this you just got. It's as with all insurance. Uh, you got to read the fine print, because my understanding of this situation, it's actually not the gas company that's doing the insuring. It is a partner company, an insurance company, I believe, so cal It's Home Serve is the name of the company that is right Home Serve. So they're a mega, mega insurance company. And uh and and it's in it's inexpensive. I think it's just a few dollars a month, Okay, So you know, weigh that against whether or not you know there are enough you know, coverage areas to make it worth your while. And what I mean is, as with all insurance policies, especially when it comes to homeowner insurance of any sort whatsoever, usually the list of exclusions is like four times as long as the list of coverage. Okay, and so, and that's the thing. So I'll tell you this, and now I'm gonna by saying this, I'm gonna lose any potential endorsement from the gas company. So this call is costing me money, Sally.
Speaker 4: That's all here.
Speaker 1: Uh, we have not opted to do it at our home. And it's not just because well you know, I'm a builder and I know how to do it. It's not about that. It's just that I found for us that the list of exclusions, I mean, it just went on and on and on and on as far as like acts of God, flood fire, this, that nothing gets covered nuclear war like like I would be concerned about my sure lye after the nuclear bomb goes off. But but the point, so, so, all I can tell you is we did not pick up that coverage. And personally, that was our own personal decision. I'm not saying it's a ripoff. I'm simply saying that everybody has to evaluate their own situation and and read the fine print because at some point, uh, you know, what's left over after the list of exclusions, that's what you have to evaluate. What are the odds of this happening to me in just this way so that this gets covered and otherwise, you know, And isn't that all insurance really? I mean, all insurance is essentially a gamble. It's a pull of the of the slot machine wheel, like gee, I for the money I put in, I hope the disaster that happens is the is the one that's covered.
Speaker 4: So so.
Speaker 1: That's the best I can tell you is just read it, read the fine print, check the exclusions, and you know, maybe you'll find the six bucks a month is you know, no big deal. And yeah, why not? Why not?
Speaker 4: A guy come by about ten years ago, two guys come by and oh, they were going to replace my my sewer line. It was like fifteen thousand dollars or something. I thought, holy crap. You know, I'm not that far away from the street.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I will say maybe insurance is good. Yeah, I mean, I'll tell you this. Uh, you know, replacing a sewer line is no joke. It's no joke because they go deep. You got to cut through your yard. You know. Maybe for a lot of people you end up, you know, cutting through a driveway. You know, depending on where it is and how it's running. And what material. I mean, there were still homes out there with clay sewer lines that are just begging to shut down at any moment today. Yeah, wow, what do you have to do? Though? Here's the I mean, I'll put I'll put a bright spin on it. Here's the nice thing about having to make an insurance decision about that kind of stuff. You should take it as an opportunity to figure out exactly where all of this stuff is in your yard, okay, what it's made out of, and where it goes. And I will tell you this. If I asked one hundred listeners right now where their sewer line leaves their house and joins up with the street, I'm thinking that I'm going to get seventy homeowners saying oh uh uh. And that's something you should just you should you should know, you should know, and you know what. One of the ways that you can do that is by calling a service like dig Alert, by calling eight one one, and they'll come out in the three days, no less than no more than three days from your call, maybe with the exception of Christmas week, and they will flag and locate all the stuff that's buried in your yard for free. Okay. So no, no, kiddie. This is they beg you to do it because if you're about to dig in your yard, they don't want you hitting gas lines, sewer lines, they don't want you hitting public utility lines that happened across your property and you didn't know it. They don't want you disrupting the neighborhood's cable service and all of that kind of stuff. So these companies, all of these utilities, they pay at their cost to be a part of the dig Alert program. And so and you don't have to justify, you don't have to show them a building permit and you say, listen, I'm planning on having work done in my yard. In your case, it's an emergency sewer repair in the future, and they will simply notify all of the utilities. They do a scan on your property public records, and they'll notify all the utilities and cable providers and all of that, and they'll all be out and they'll put little flags in the yard this is where the sewer is, this is where this is, and you can start to learn and see. So that way, my point is you can evaluate, like, wow, does my sewer line run on uneath my driveway or is it in a place where if I had to replace it it wouldn't completely tear up my yard for tens of thousands of dollars. That kind of stuff. Everybody should know that. But getting back, and I got to run here because we're right at the top of the hour, Sally, But such a great question, and again just you know, it's after all the exclusions, does the insurance cover enough of real life potential circumstances to be worth the you know, few bucks a month that you're going to pay for And then that's the best advice I can ray.
Speaker 4: Excellent advice. And thank you for the eight one one number.
Speaker 1: And you're very very welcome. Thanks Sally for the call. You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp the House Whisper on KFI.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty