Speaker 1: Welcome to your deep dive. Today, we're tackling something that, well, it might sound a bit intimidating at first, threat modeling, but trust me, it's way more interesting and way more practical than you might think, even if you're not a cybersecurity you know, guru or anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you're absolutely right. Threat model is really just a structured way to kind of brainstorm what could possibly go wrong. And you know, we're not just talking about software here. It applies to systems processes, even a new product launch exactly.
Speaker 1: And the cool thing is we're using Adam Shostak's book Threatmodeling dot pdf as our guide today. And you know, I've got to admit when I first saw that title, I thought, uh, oh, this is going to be dense. But Shostak he actually makes it pretty engaging, even funny at times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does have a good sense of humor. One of my favorite parts is where he compares learning threat modeling to learning a musical instrument. You know, it takes practice, for sure, but anyone can grasp the basics and start kind of start playing, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that analogy. So let's say you're working on project, where do you even begin with this whole threat modeling thing, Like what's step one?
Speaker 2: Well, you start by building a model kind of like a simple diagram of whatever it is you're building, break it down into its core components, the data flows, and then you start looking for these things called trust boundaries trust boundaries.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you're making me feel like I need security clearance just to listen to this.
Speaker 2: Not at all. Think of it this way. A trust boundary is just like a line that you draw between areas with different levels of well trust, like data moving within your own secure network, you know, that's one level of trust. But anything coming in from the internet, you know, users that you don't know, that's that's crossing a boundary, and that's where you need to be extra careful.
Speaker 1: Okay, ah, that makes sense. So once you've got your you know, your diagram and your boundaries all figured out, how do you actually spot those threats?
Speaker 2: Well, Shastek introduces this really handy framework. It's called STRIDE and it's a mnemonic. It stands for spoofing, tampering, repudiation, information disclosure, denial of service, and elevation of privilege.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, it's funny you mentioned that I actually played the Elevation of Privileged card game once at a security conference and it was a blast. It really drove home how even seemingly small details can open the door to these big security problems.
Speaker 2: Oh it's fantastic. It's a fantastic way to learn, and it highlights how threat modeling can be, you know, collaborative, it can even be fun. Doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.
Speaker 1: Right right, Okay, So let's get practical here. Let's say we're building a simple web application like the ACME Corporation example from the book. How would we how would we apply stry to find those potential threats?
Speaker 2: Well, let's take information disclosure as an example. If ACME isn't super careful about validating user input on their web forms, an attacker could use something called seql injection to you know, sneak into their database and access all sorts of sensitive information.
Speaker 1: Ouch. Yeah, that's that's not good. And I bet there are a ton of other threats lurking out there, just depending on the system.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and showstak makes it clear there are different ways to go about this whole threat modeling process. You can focus on your most valuable assets or you can think like an attacker, you know, get in their head or and this is often the best starting point. You can really dig into the software itself. It's architecture and how it all works together.
Speaker 1: So it's like it's like choosing the right tool for the job, you know, Yeah, depending on what you're building and what you're most worried about exactly.
Speaker 2: The key is to have a structured approach, and Stride is a great framework to start with. But it's not just about finding these threats. It's also about figuring out how to deal with them right.
Speaker 1: Right, Because let's be honest, you can't eliminate every single threat, can you. I mean that would probably be like impossible.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, and that's where risk management comes in. You got to prioritize Some risks might be so minor that you can just accept them. Others you might transfer to a to a vendor or a specialist. But for the big ones, the critical ones, you need to actively mitigate them.
Speaker 1: So you're saying, it's all about choosing your battles wisely, don't sweat the small stuff, but be prepared to go all in on the threats that could really hurt you.
Speaker 2: Precisely. And one thing Shostak emphasizes is that you can't just assume and tacker will stop at the first hurdle. You know, you need what he calls a defense in depth, multiple layers of security, so that even if one fails, you've got back up.
Speaker 1: Oh, like a castle with multiple walls and moatsh I like that. It's making me think about my own online accounts. Maybe just having a strong password isn't enough.
Speaker 2: You're catching on. And here's where Shostak's book gets really practical. Chapter twelve, The Requirements Cookbook is packed with specific security recommendations. He covers everything from authentication to logging to data integrity.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to admit when I skim that chapter, my head started to spin a little. Do you really think people need to implement every single thing that in that cookbook?
Speaker 2: Of course not. It's a starting point, a menu of options, not a you know, a mandatory checklist. But here's the thing. Even picking a few key items from that chapter and applying them to your project can dramatically improve its security.
Speaker 1: That's reassuring. So it's more about being smart and strategic, not about becoming some kind of you know, security Superhero Overnight exactly.
Speaker 2: You start with the basics and you build from there. The key is to make threat modeling a habit, a part of your process, not just a you know, a one time thing.
Speaker 1: Right right. This is all incredibly helpful, but I have to ask, how does this apply to like the world of web applications and cloud platforms, because things are changing so fast in that space.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're right. The landscape is constantly evolving, and that's why chapter thirteen is so important. It dives into the specific challenges of web and cloud security, things like insider threats, tenant behavior in shared cloud environments. You know, these are all things you need to be thinking about.
Speaker 1: Insider threats. Huh, that's a scary thought. You're basically saying you can't even trust everyone within your own organization.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not about you know, assuming the worst in people, but it is about understanding that that not all threats come from you know, these external attackers. Sometimes the vulnerabilities lie within.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're telling me to trust no one, not even my own team.
Speaker 2: Not quite. It's more about being aware of the different ways data can be accessed, misused, or even accidentally exposed, and of course. A big part of this is protecting user data, especially when it comes to accounts and identity.
Speaker 1: Management, which is perfect segue to chapter fourteen. Yeah right, that felt like a bit of a crash course. In all things accounts and passwords, it's.
Speaker 2: Essential reading and one of the most insightful things Shastak says is you have to accept account existence as something an attacker can learn, so you focus on usability from that point on, and he really slams knowledge based authentication. You know those security questions that are often anything but secure.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I hate those. Yeah, what street did you grow up on? Like, I'm going to remember that off the top of my.
Speaker 2: Head exactly, and Deck points to things like multi factor authentication as a much, a much stronger alternative. It's about adding layers of security, just like we talked about with defense and depth.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got our diagrams, our stride framework, our requirements cookbook. But there's still one piece missing, isn't there? The human element?
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, and that's where chapter fifteen gets really interesting. It dives into the psychology of security, how our own brains can sometimes well work against us.
Speaker 1: Our brain's working against us. Yeah, Okay, now I'm really intrigued.
Speaker 2: It's all about these things called cognitive biases, things like anchoring, where we get fixated on the first piece of information we see, even if it's even if it's wrong or WYSIID what you see is all there is, which can make us kind of blind to potential dangers lurking just outside our immediate view.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's fascinating. So it's not just about building secure systems, it's about understanding how people actually use those systems right and designing them in a way that minimizes, you know, the risk of human error exactly.
Speaker 2: And Shasta gives some great examples of how this plays out in the real world, like those phishing emails that create this this sense of urgency to trick you into clicking on a malicious link.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I've totally fallen for those before. You feel like you have to act immediately and you don't start to think critically about it.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what the attackers are counting on. So part of threat modeling is understanding these these psychological traps and designing systems that help users, you know, avoid them.
Speaker 1: This is blowing my mind. It's like it's like security meets behavioral science.
Speaker 2: It really is, and it highlights how security is not just a technical problem, it's a human problem. We need to understand both sides of the equation to build truly secure systems.
Speaker 1: After all that, I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed. Is there any hope for those of us who aren't you know, cryptography experts.
Speaker 2: You're not alone. But here's the good news. You don't have to be a cryptogenius to build secure systems. In fact, Shastak has some very reassuring words for us in chapter sixteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, call me more. I need some good news right about now.
Speaker 2: He basically says, don't reinvent the wheel when it comes to cryptography. Use well vetted, you know, existing cryptosystems. Don't try to create your own, your own encryption algorithms unless you're you know, a world renowned expert, because the odds of you messing it up are pretty high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. Why reinvent the wheel if someone's already done the hard work for you.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and he calls this the cryptographic doom principle. Get crypto right and you're good. Get it wrong and the consequences can be catastrophic. It all comes back to understanding those trust boundaries.
Speaker 1: So trust the experts, know your boundaries, for the love of all that is secure. Don't try to create your own encryption algorithm.
Speaker 2: You got it. And that's just scratching the surface of what Shashtak covers in the book. We've still got so much more to unpack, including how to actually make threat modeling a regular part of your process, how to con vince your team to you know, to get on board, and even a glimpse into the future of threat modeling with things like threat genomics and adversarial machine learning.
Speaker 1: Wow, I am definitely feeling inspired, but also a little overwhelmed by all this information. Maybe we should take a quick break here and come back for part two of our deep dive to explore these more these more advanced concepts.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a plan. We've laid a solid foundation, and now it's time to build on it and see how we can apply these ideas to create a more secure digital world. All right, so let's jump back into this fascinating world of threat modeling. One thing that really struck me as we were, you know, prepping for this deep dive was how much emphasis Adam Shastak puts on clarity when it comes to diagramming systems.
Speaker 1: Oh. Absolutely, a messy diagram is like a recipe for disaster when you're when you're trying to threat model. Yeah, it's it's got to be crystal clear so you don't miss any any crucial vulnerability.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's not just about having a diagram, it's about having a good one. And data flow diagrams or DFDs, they seem to be like the gold standard for threat modeling because they visually show how that data is moving through your system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, DFDs there, they're fantastic for visualizing those trust boundaries we talked about earlier. Yeah, it's like shining a spotlight on those on those exact points where an attacker might try to sneak in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And once you've got those those entry points you know, highlighted, you can systematically analyze each one using the Stride framework. Are they susceptible to spoofing, tampering, repudiation? You go through the whole list and really dissect those potential weaknesses.
Speaker 1: It's like having a mental checklist almost for security vulnerabilities. And it's amazing how many things you might overlook if you don't have that structured approach.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and Shastak goes beyond just you know, theory. He gives tons of practical tips in the book, like the importance of validating data from from untrusted sources. Never never just blindly trust user input or data coming from external systems.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've learned that lesson the hard way a few times. Yeah, it's so easy to assume that that data is, you know, clean and well intentioned, but you really, you really have to treat everything with a with a healthy dose of suspicions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got it. Input validation. It's it's like that first line of defense against against a whole range of injection attacks, including that that sneaky sequel injection we talked about earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let's not forget about logging. I used to think of logs as like just boring technical stuff, you know, but the book, the book really opened my eyes to how crucial they are for security, especially when it comes to those those tricky repudiation threats.
Speaker 2: You're right, logs can be like a life saver when you need to investigate a security incident. They're like a detective's notebook, you know. Helping you piece together what happened, who is involved, and how to prevent it from happening again.
Speaker 1: But but logs are only useful if they're protected right and reliable. What's the point of having a you know, a security camera if someone can just just tamper.
Speaker 2: With the footage exactly. Shastak really stresses the importance of protecting those those log files from tampering and making sure they're stored securely. You don't want to create a vulnerability while you're you know, while you're trying to solve another one.
Speaker 1: That's true, that's true. You know. One of the things that really that really clicked for me was this concept of defense in depth. So tempting to just think, Okay, I've implemented this one security measure, I'm good. But but that's rarely enough, is it?
Speaker 2: Not? At all? Shostak really drives home the point that you need you need multiple layers of security. It's it's like building a castle with walls and moats and guard towers. You know, each layer makes it that much harder for an attacker to breach your defenses.
Speaker 1: It makes you realize that security is not a you know, not a destination. It's a journey. Yeah, you have to constantly be evaluating your defense is, looking for looking for weak points, and making improvements.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's it's an ongoing process and it requires vigilance and a willingness to adapt as the threat landscape changes. You know. Shostak also talks about the importance of understanding trade offs when it comes to security. Sometimes the most secure solution just isn't feasible, right, Right, Like.
Speaker 1: You could build an impenetrable fortress, but if it's so restrictive that no one can actually use it, what's the point exactly?
Speaker 2: It's about finding the right balance between security and usability and cost. Sometimes you might choose to accept a certain level of risk if the cost of mitigating it is just just too high.
Speaker 1: Right. So it sounds like threat modeling forces you to be to be really honest with yourself about what you're willing to risk, yeah, and what you absolutely need to to protect. It's a tough call, but an essential one, you know.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree more. And one thing Shostak emphasizes is that threat modeling shouldn't be a one time event. It needs to be like beaked into your entire development life cycle.
Speaker 1: So it's not like checking a box and moving on. It's more about making threat modeling a part of your DNA, part of how you how you approach every every project from from start to finish.
Speaker 2: You nailed it. Whether you're using an agile methodology or a more traditional, you know, waterfall approach, threat modeling should be should be woven into into every stage of development, design, implementation, testing, deployment, you know, it all needs to be considered through a through a security lens.
Speaker 1: It's it's like you're you're constantly checking your blind spots, anticipating potential problems before they even even.
Speaker 2: Arise, exactly. And it's not just about that initial development phase either. As you add new features, you know, make changes to your your code or integrate with with external systems, you need to revisit your your threat model and it makes sure it's still relevant.
Speaker 1: It's like that that old saying eternal vigilance is the price of liberty, except in this case it's the price of security.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. That's a great analogy. And and Shastak gives some really practical advice on how to integrate threat modeling into into different different development methodologies, even fast paced ones like like agile and DevOps.
Speaker 1: That's that's where're sureing. I think a lot of people assume that threat modeling is like too cumbersome for those types of those types of environments, but it sounds like it can be. It can be adapted to fit to fit any workflow.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The key is to break down threat modeling activities into into smaller, more manageable tasks that can be integrated into your existing process.
Speaker 1: So it's not about adding this this whole new layer of bureaucracy. It's it's about incorporating incorporating security thinking into into everything you do.
Speaker 2: You got it, And that even extends to you know, testing activities. Shawstak talks about how how threat modeling can inform your testing strategy, helping you develop more, more targeted and effective test cases.
Speaker 1: It's like you're not just testing to see if the software works. You're testing to see if it's if it's secure, if it can withstand withstand attacks.
Speaker 2: Exactly. By understanding those those potential threats, testers can really put those defenses to the test and try to break them, which ultimately leads to a more secure and resilient system.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I'm loving all this practical advice. But I want to circle back to something we touched on earlier, the human element. We talked about cognitive biases and how our own brains can can sometimes make us make us vulnerable to attacks. Can you can you go a little deeper into that. I'm really fascinated by this whole, this whole psychology of security thing.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought that up. It's it's such an important aspect of security, and in Shostak dedicates a whole chapter to it in the book. He really dives deep into how our cognitive biases can make us susceptible to things like like social engineering attacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so so remind me again what are cognitive biases. I feel like I need a refresher course in psychology.
Speaker 2: Think of them as as mental shortcuts almost that our brains take to process information quickly. They're often helpful in everyday life, but when it comes to security, they can they can kind of lead us astray.
Speaker 1: So it's it's like our brains are trying to help us, but they're actually making us, making us more more vulnerable.
Speaker 2: To attack sometimes. Yes, Shostak talks about biases like anchoring, where we where we get fixated on the first piece of information we see, even if it's even if it's wrong, and uh, and confirmation bias, where we tend to seek out information that confirms our our existing beliefs, even if those those beliefs are flawed.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm totally guilty of that. If if I've already made up my mind about something, it's it's hard to convince me otherwise, even if there's even if there's evidence to the contrary.
Speaker 2: We all do it. It's it's just how our brains are wired. But in the context of security, that can be that can be dangerous. For example, if you're if you're convinced that that a certain type of attack can't happen to you, you might be less likely to take precautions or to recognize the warning signs, you know, right.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's not just about building, you know, building secure systems. It's about understanding how people actually use those systems and designing them in a way that that minimizes the risk of human error exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's where the idea of usable security comes in. You want to build systems that are not only technically you know, robust, but also but also user friendly, intuitive, right.
Speaker 1: So, so it's about guiding users towards safe choices without making them feel like they're they're constantly walking through through a minefield of security warnings and restrictions.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. You want you want security to be almost invisible, seamlessly integrated into the into the user experience, so people so people don't even realize they're being protected.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting. It reminds me of that analogy that Shastak uses in the book about security being like a like a shepherd, you know, gently guiding users toward towards safe pastors rather than than locking them up in a in a fortress.
Speaker 2: I love that analogy. It perfectly captures the essence of usable security. It's about it's about enabling people to use technology safely and effectively without feeling like they're they're constantly fighting against the system.
Speaker 1: Okay, so, so we've talked about diagrams and frameworks the psychology of security, but we haven't delved into the the nitty gritty of cryptography yet. Is that is that where we're hitded next? Because I have to admit that's the part that that intimidates me the most.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, you're not alone. Cryptography can seem can seem daunting, but uh but Shostak does it does a great job of breaking it down in a in a way that's that's accessible even for those of us who aren't you know, math whizzes.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm all ears, give me the give me the Cryptography for Dummies version.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, the the key takeaway is that you you don't have to be a cryptographer to build secure systems. In fact, it's it's usually best to rely on on well vetted, existing cryptosystems that have been thoroughly tested and proven secure.
Speaker 1: Okay. So, so don't try to be a cryptographic superhero and and invent my own my own algorithms exactly.
Speaker 2: Reinventing the wheel in cryptography is is almost always a recipe for disaster. There's a reason why those algorithms are so so complex. It's because a lot of a lot of brilliant minds have have worked on them to make sure there's a secure as possible.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it's it's more about choosing the right the right tools for the job and using them correctly, rather than trying to create something entirely entirely new from.
Speaker 2: Scratch, you got it and and Shostak calls this the cryptographic doom principle. Get it right and you're golden. Get it wrong and you could be setting yourself up for a major security breach.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm definitely getting the message don't mess with crypto unless you unless you really know what you're doing. But I'm still curious. What what are some of the key things to keep in mind when it comes to, you know, choosing and using cryptosystems.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the one of the most important things is is key management. Your your encryption keys are like like the keys to your castle. If if someone gets a hold of them, they can they can unlock all your secrets.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a that's a great analogy. So so key management is all about all about keeping those keys, those keys safe and secure, making sure they don't they don't fall into the wrong hands exactly.
Speaker 2: And that involves things like like storing keys securely, controlling and controlling access to them, and having procedures in place for revoking and replacing keys if they're ever if they're ever compromised.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about the technology itself, it's about the processes and procedures that you have in place to manage that technology securely.
Speaker 2: You're catching on and this all ties back to the idea that security is a holistic challenge. It's it's not just about technology, it's about it's about people and processes and a deep understanding of the threats you're you're facing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've covered so much ground already, from diagrams and frameworks to the psychology of security and the importance of not reinventing the cryptographic wheel. What else does? What else is shuss Deck cover in the book? Is there anything we've we've missed?
Speaker 2: There's still a lot to explore. We haven't even touched on the more experimental approaches to threat modeling, like like threat genomics and adversarial machine learning, and of course there's there's the big question of how to actually implement threat modeling in your organization.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm starting to feel like we need a whole series of deep dives just just to cover all of this. But before we before we get too overwhelmed, why don't we take a pause here and come back for part three to delve into those those more advanced topics.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a great plan, we've we've laid a solid foundation and now it's now it's time to build on it and explore the cutting edge of threat modeling.
Speaker 1: All right, So we're back for the final part of our deep dive into threat modeling. And you know, one thing I've been thinking about is, as we've been prepping for this, I was I was kind of struck by just how many different approaches there are to tow threat modeling out there. It's it's kind of overwhelming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's true. There's there's no there's no one size fits all, you know, some are some are very structured, while others are are more adaptable, you know. But but don't worry. They all they all share the same core principles. You know, understand your system, find the threats, and figure out how to how to deal with them.
Speaker 1: Right In shastak he he highlights three main strategies in the book asset centric, attacker centric, and UH software centric. And we touched on these briefly before, but I think it's it's worth worth digging a little deeper.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, so, UH an asset centric approach it's all about, you know, identifying those those crown jewels in your system. The things that you absolutely need to protect, and then you analyze the threats that could target those specific those specific assets.
Speaker 1: So it's it's kind of like building a security perimeter almost around your around your most prized possessions. Like you're saying, these are the things that that absolutely cannot be compromised, so let's let's focus all our all our efforts on protecting them precisely.
Speaker 2: It's it's a great approach for for systems where the assets are are clearly defined and and the consequences of losing them are are very high. You know, think, I think findinancial data, medical records, anything anything super sensitive.
Speaker 1: Right, But what about those situations where you know you're you're not even sure what the what the biggest threats are. That's where that that attacker centric approach comes in, right, right, you got it?
Speaker 2: With With this approach, you try to think like like a hacker. You know, what are there, what are their motivations, what are their pactics, what tools might they use? You put yourself in the in the attacker's shoes, and and try to try to find those vulnerabilities that they could exploit.
Speaker 1: It's it's like playing a constant game of cat and mouse, always trying to anticipate the attacker's next move and stay one step ahead. Sounds sounds exhausting, It can be.
Speaker 2: It can be, but it's but it's essential for for systems where where the threat landscape is constantly, constantly changing and you need to be super you know, proactive. So think think like online gaming platforms, e commerce sites, anywhere there's this like this constant stream of of new attacks and vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Right, and and then there's that software centric approach, which seems to be kind of the most popular, uh starting point, especially for for new projects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a great foundation with with this approach, you you really dig into the software itself, you know, it's architecture, the the components, how it how it all works together, and you're looking for any any weaknesses in the design that could that could compromise security.
Speaker 1: It's almost like you're you're an architect. You're examining like blueprints, looking for for structural flaws that could they could make the building you know, collapse.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. That's a that's a great analogy. And and the beauty of the the software centric approach is that you can you can bake security into the design from from day one. You know, you're not you're not trying to bolt it on as an as an afterthought.
Speaker 1: Right, So it sounds like choosing the right approach it really depends on on what you're building, Yeah, and what you're what you're most most worried about.
Speaker 2: Exactly. There's there's no one right way to do this. The key is to is to find an approach that that fits your your specific needs and helps you achieve your your security goals.
Speaker 1: Now, one thing that really stood out to me in the in the book was the emphasis on on validating your threat model. You know, it's one thing to identify threats, but how do you know if you've actually you know, dealt with them effectively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's where the rubber meets the road, right, You've got to you've got to make sure those those mitigations are actually actually working and they haven't you know, accidentally created new vulnerabilities and uh and Shostak he talks about several several validation techniques including UH, code reviews, penetration testing, even even something called.
Speaker 1: Attack trees penetration testing. Huh, Yeah, that sounds that sounds intense. Is that where you you hire those those ethical hackers to try and break into your system.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's it's like a like a controlled experiment where you let the good guys try to to hack you so you can so you can find and fix those those weaknesses before the before the bad guys exploit them.
Speaker 1: And code reviews that sounds a bit less uh, less adrenaline.
Speaker 2: Pumping, definitely. Code reviews are more about having you know, experienced developers carefully examine the code, you know, line by line, looking for any any security flaws or vulnerabilities. It's it's like having a second set of set of eyes, you know, catching those those subtle errors that can easily slip through the cracks.
Speaker 1: And what about those those attack trees. That sounds pretty pretty hardcore there.
Speaker 2: They're actually a really a really useful tool for for visualizing potential potential attack paths. You break down, you know, a complex attack into into smaller, more manageable steps, kind of kind of like a flow chart almost for for hackers.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a great way to think about it. Yeah, it makes that the whole process seem less less daunting. You know, you're not tackling this huge amorphous threat. You're you're breaking it down into into smaller, more more manageable pieces exactly.
Speaker 2: And by by understanding those those attack paths, you can you can identify those those most critical points to defend and make sure you're your mitigations are are focused on on those areas.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, now all this, all this technical stuff is fascinating, but I'm also curious about, you know, that that human element again and showstack. He even talks about using threat modeling too to inform user documentation, which seems, you know, a bit unexpected at.
Speaker 2: First, it makes sense when you when you think about it. By by documenting those those security assumptions that you've made and the and the mitigations that you've that you've put in place, you can you can help users understand those those security implications of using your software.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not just about protecting the system. It's about it's about empowering those those users to make, you know, informed decisions about about their own security.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's about transparency and building trust. You're you're saying, here's what we've done to protect you, and here's what you can do to protect yourself.
Speaker 1: Well, I love that. Yeah, it's a. It's a collaborative approach to to security, recognizing that we all, we all had a role to play in keeping our systems and data safe exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's not just about you know, the technical stuff. It's it's about communication and education and working together to to create a more a more secure, secure digital world.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so let's say I'm totally sold on this whole on this whole threat modeling thing. I I want to bring it to my to my team, yeah, to my to my organization. But how how do I convince everyone else? Because people are people are busy, They've they've got their own priorities, and security isn't always at the at the top of the list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a real challenge. But uh Shawstak offers some some great advice in the book. He says it starts with building awareness and getting getting buy in from from those those key those key decision makers.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about showing up at a meeting and saying, hey, everyone, we need to we need to start threat modeling. You've got to You've got to make a case for sure people, why why.
Speaker 2: It matters Exactly? You need to you need to articulate the benefits both in terms of, you know, reducing risk and improving the overall the overall quality of your of your software. And and it can't just be talk. You've you've got to walk the walk, you know, start small threat model a a manageable project, and showcase the value it brings.
Speaker 1: Oh so lead by example, show people how it, how it works, how it can it can make a real difference. Yeah, and hopefully they'll they'll start to start to come around exactly.
Speaker 2: And and don't be afraid to start small. You don't have to, you know, boil the ocean right away. Focus on the most critical systems, the ones that would cause the biggest headache if they were if they were compromised.
Speaker 1: Right, So, start with the low hanging fruit, prove the concept, and then and then gradually expand from there.
Speaker 2: You got it. And and Shostak also talks about the the importance of integrating thread modeling into your your existing processes.
Speaker 1: So it's it's not about creating this this whole new, you know, separate thing. It's about weaving it into the into the fabric of how you how you already work, whether that's that's agile or or waterfall or or something else entirely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the that's the key to sustainability. Make make threat modeling a natural part of of how you build software, not just an extra, you know, an extra chore that that everyone dreads.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, this is this is starting to click for me now. It's it's about it's about shifting the mindset, making making security a core part of of everything you do, not just not just an afterthought.
Speaker 2: Precisely, and that's how you create a culture of security where where everyone on the on the team understands the importance of of thinking about about potential threats and proactively addressing them. It's it's no longer the security team's problem. It's it's everyone's everyone's responsibility.
Speaker 1: Right, No, I love that. Yeah, it's a it's a much more, much more holistic and proactive approach to to security. And speaking of proactive, one thing that that Shostak emphasizes throughout the book is that the importance of iteration. Yeah, and and continues improvement.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's that's so crucial. Threat modeling isn't a one and done activity. It's an it's an ongoing process of learning and adapting and refining your your security posture as you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're you're constantly revisiting your your threat model, tweaking it, updating it, making sure it's it's still relevant. Yeah, you know, as yours your system evolves and the threat landscape, the threat landscape changes exactly.
Speaker 2: You're always you're always learning, you're always improving, always always staying one step ahead of the bad guys.
Speaker 1: Right, It's it's a never ending game of cat and mouse. Yeah, but but at least now we've got some we've got some really powerful tools and strategies to help us, to help us play the game actively.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And that's what's so what's so exciting about this about this field, you know, it's it's constantly it's constantly evolving, and there's always always something new to to learn.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we've covered a lot of ground in this in this deep dive, from from the fundamentals of threat modeling to some of the more the more advanced concepts and techniques, and I've I'm feeling it inspired, but also a little a little overwhelmed by by all this all this information.
Speaker 2: It's it's a lot to take in. But uh, but remember the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. You know, start start small, pick pick a system, and start applying the principles we've we've discussed.
Speaker 1: And remember there are tons of resources out there to help you, including including Shaskacs book, which is is an absolute treasure trove of information and practical advice.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and and don't be afraid to reach out to to other security professionals for for guidance that the security community is incredibly welcoming and supportive and there are there are so many people willing to to share their their knowledge and expertise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a good point. Well, as we as we wrap up this this deep dive, what's the what's the one key takeaway you want our listeners to to remember.
Speaker 2: I think the the biggest thing is that threat modeling. It's it's not just for security experts, it's it's for everyone who's involved in build and managing technology. It's about taking a proactive approach to to security, thinking about those potential those potential threats before they become before they become real problems.
Speaker 1: Right, don't wait for a for a security breach to happen. Start start thinking like a like an attacker, identify those vulnerabilities and put those those mitigations in place exactly.
Speaker 2: And remember it's it's a journey, not a not a destination. There's always there's always more to learn, and the more we the more we learn, the better we can we can protect ourselves and the and the technology that we that we rely on.
Speaker 1: Well said, well thanks for thanks for joining us on this deep dive into the world of threat modeling. We we hope you found it uh informative and inspiring.
Speaker 2: It's been a it's been a pleasure exploring this this fascinating topic with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Likewise, and as always, stay curious, keep learning, and stay secure out there.