Speaker 1: All right, everyone, welcome back to the deep Dive. Today, we're tackling a really big topic, one that shapes so much of our modern world, neural networks and deep learning. Our mission, as always is to cut through the complexity, pull out the most important bits for you, and give you that shortcut to being truly well informed. We're diving into this fantastic textbook by Charusi Aggriwall Neural Networks and Deep Learning. Seriously, this thing is packed. It covers everything from the foundational ideas all the way to super cutting edge applications, and it even touches on some architectures that have been sort of well forgotten. So our goal is to make sense of this intricate world, give you a clear picture of what these powerful technologies are and maybe more importantly, why they matter so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what's really fascinating, I think, is just tracing how this field has evolved over time. We're going to explore not just what these networks are, but how they actually learn, why they work the way they do, which can be pretty powerful, and of course the incredible ways they're being used today. I mean everything from self driving cars to generating creative art. It's kind of amazing. We really want you to walk away with those aha moments, you know, yeah, feeling like you've really unlocked some profound insights.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's unpack this right from the start. When we hear neural networks, the first thing that pops into mind is, well, the human brain. But how close is that comparison? Really?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. The book points out that, yeah, there was definitely initial biological inspiration. You know, things like convolutional neural networks or CNNs were partly inspired by Huble and Bisles work on how the cats visual cortex processes images. But this is important. The book also mentions that comparison is often criticized. It's seen as maybe a poor caricature, a really simplified version of the actual brain.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a loose inspiration, not a direct copy.
Speaker 2: Exactly, though neuroscience principles has certainly been useful along the way.
Speaker 1: But here's something I found really interesting in the book. At their core, these networks aren't some completely alien tech. They're actually built from like basic computational units inspired by algorithms we already knew from traditional machine learning, things like least squares regression or logistic regression.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The power comes from how they combine tons of these simple units. Right.
Speaker 2: Precisely, they learn how to connect these basic building blocks in really intricate ways, all working together to minimize the prediction error. It's kind of like building something really complex and amazing, like a cathedral, but using very simple, powerful bricks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what does that basic brick look like? Then?
Speaker 2: Good question. We can start with the simplest one, really, the perceptron. Imagine it is a tiny decision maker. It takes in different features pieces of information. Each feature gets multiplied by a weight, which basically says how important it is. Then it sums all those weighted features up, and finally that sum goes through something called an activation function. Think of it like a gait, which produces the final output. Often say a class label like cat or dog, and.
Speaker 1: I read about a biased neuron. What's that?
Speaker 2: Ah? Right, that's sort of a neat trick. It's like adding a constant offset to the sum before it hits the activation function. You can do that by having a special input that always has a value of one with its own weight. It just gives the model a bit more flexibility.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, And these activation functions. You said they're like gates, Why are they so important?
Speaker 2: They're absolutely crucial. They introduce nonlinearity. Without them, stacking layers wouldn't actually add much power. It would still just be a linear model. Early on, people used a simple sign function, just outputting plus one or angs one. Basically yes, no, but that's hard to train mathematically because it's not smooth, not differentiable. Okay, so functions like sigmoid and tan became popular. Sigmoid squishes the output between zero and one, which are great for probabilities. Tan is similar as shaped, but squishes between negative one and one.
Speaker 1: But the book mentioned something else has taken over now re LU.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this is a really key aha moment for understanding modern deep learning. Re LU, which stands for a rectified linear unit, sounds fancy, but it's incredibly simple. It's just max v zero, so if the input is negative, the output is zero. Otherwise the output is just the input. Yeah, deceptively simple. ReLU and variations like Hardtan have largely replaced sigmoid and soft hand. Why because they're a piece wise linear. This makes the math, specifically the gradients used in training much much easier to handle. They suffer way less from a huge problem called vanishing gradients, which we should definite talk more about. This change was fundamental in allowing us to train much much deeper networks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have these basic units perceptrons, with these crucial nonlinear activation functions like ReLU. How do we go from that to well deep learning?
Speaker 2: Right? Connecting it to the bigger picture. It's fascinating actually that many traditional machine learning models, the ones that people use for decades, can be seen as shallow neural networks. Think about least squares regression, logistic regression, even support VIC machines as v You could represent all of them as simple neural architectures, maybe just one or two layers deep.
Speaker 1: Really like SVMs too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, The main difference is often just boil down to the specific loss function they're trying to minimize, and maybe the activation function in the output layer. For example, logistic regression for binary classification uses that sigmoid function we mentioned to output or probability. Its loss function comes from maximizing the likelihood of the data. The book also contrasts the original perceptron learning rule, which would be a bit unstable, with the Hinge loss used by SVMs, which provides better stability. It shows this kind of shared ancestry.
Speaker 1: Okay, so those are the shallow ones. But the real magic, the deep and deep learning that comes from adding more layers right stacking them up.
Speaker 2: Exactly, That's where the power really scales up. Multi layer neural networks introduce what we call hidden layers. These are layers of computation sandwich between the input and the final output. You don't directly see their results, hence hidden. Typically, information flows forward through these layers, one feeding into the next. We call these feed forward networks.
Speaker 1: And what happens inside those hidden layers.
Speaker 2: This is where the concept of hierarchical feature engineering comes in. It's a really powerful idea. Imagine you feed an image into the network. The first hidden layer might learn to detect very simple, primitive characteristics, things like horizontal lines, vertical lines, maybe simple curves or edges.
Speaker 1: Okay, basic stuff, right.
Speaker 2: Then the next hidden layer takes those simple features as its input and learns to combine them into slightly more complex shapes or patterns, maybe corners, circles, simple.
Speaker 1: Textures, ah building blocks.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And as you go deeper, subsequent layers combine those features into even more complex semantically significant characteristics. So maybe a later layer recognizes combinations that look like an eye or a wheel, or in the book's example, hexagons or honeycombs. By the time the information reached the final layers, it's represented in a way that makes classification much easier. The network has learned to see the important patterns.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. It's like learning progressively more abstract concepts.
Speaker 2: Precisely, and a key advantage here is flexibility. You can adjust the model's complexity, its learning capacity by just adding or removing neurons or entire layers, depending on how much data you have or the convocational resources available.
Speaker 1: That brings up another point from the book, the AI winters. Why did it take so long for neural networks to really take off if the ideas were around earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another aha moment. The core concepts from many of these networks existed decades ago, but they were held back. The book really emphasizes that the crucial factors were the massive increase in data availability, the big data and the parallel explosion and computational power, especially.
Speaker 1: With GPUs GPUs the graphics cards.
Speaker 2: Exactly they happen to be incredibly good at the kind of parallel matrix multiplications that neural networks rely on. So it was really after maybe twenty ten twenty eleven when we finally had enough data and enough computing power that these deeper, more complex models could finally be trained effectively and show what they were capable of. The resources caught up with the ideas.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, so training these deep networks sounds like a beast. How does that learning part actually happen? You mentioned gradients before.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The core algorithm, the engine driving the learning, is called back propagation. It's essentially a clever way to figure out how much each connection, each weight in the network contributed to the overall error on a given training example. Works in two phases. First, there's a forward pass. You feed the input data through the network layer by layer until you get an output. Then you compare that output to the correct answer and calculate the error or loss.
Speaker 1: Okay, see how wrong.
Speaker 2: It was exactly. Then comes the backward pass. Using calculus, specifically the chain rule, back propagation calculates the gradient of the loss with respect to each weight. It figures out how changing each weight would affect the error. This gradient information is then propagated backward through the network layer by layer. It's like an assigning blame or credit for the error back to the connections that caused.
Speaker 1: It, and then you use that information to adjust the weights precisely.
Speaker 2: The most common method is to cast a gradient descent or ASGD. Instead of calculating the error over the entire massive data sent which would be incredibly slow. SGD takes a single training example or maybe a small batch of them, calculates the gradients and makes a small adjustment to the weights in the direction that reduces the error. Then it moves to the next example or batch. It's stochastic because each update is based on just a small sample, making it a bit noisy, but much much faster overall.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense, but you mentioned a problem earlier, something about gradients, ugh, vanishing and exploding gradients. That sounds bad. What's going on there right?
Speaker 2: This is a huge challenge, especially when you start building really deep networks. It's a stability issue. Remember how backpropagation uses the chain rule that involves multiplying many small numbers together as you go backward through the layer. If those numbers related to the derivatives of the accivation functions are consistently less than one, their product can become incredibly tiny, almost zero by the time it reaches the early layers. That's the vanishing gradient problem. The signal just fades.
Speaker 1: Away, so the early layers stop learning effectively.
Speaker 2: Yes, they don't get useful information about how to adjust their weights. Conversely, if those numbers are consistently greater than one, their product can blow up, becoming astronomically large. That's the exploding gradient problem. The updates become huge and unstable and the network diverges.
Speaker 1: Yikes. Okay, so how do we fix that? How do we train these deep things reliably?
Speaker 2: Well? Thankfully, researchers have developed a whole toolkit of techniques to combat these issues and also to prevent another big problem overfitting.
Speaker 1: Overfitting that's when the model just memorizes the training data right, but doesn't work well on new stuff.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it fails to generalize. So first we have regularization techniques. Think of these as ways to impose discipline on the network during training. Weight decay using L one or L two penalties is common. It adds a cost to having large weights, encouraging the network to find simpler solutions that are less likely to overfit. Another simple but effective one is early stopping. You monitor the network's performance on a separate data set, a validation set that it doesn't train on. When the error on that validation set starts to increase, even if the training error is still decreasing, you just stop training. The model is starting to overfit.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, stop before it gets worse.
Speaker 2: Right. Then there are techniques aimed more directly at the learning dynamics. Dropout is a really clever one. During training, for each input or a mini batch, you randomly drop out temporarily said to zero a certain percentage of the neurons, and the hidden layers.
Speaker 1: Just switch them off randomly.
Speaker 2: Yep. This forces other neurons to learn more robust features because they can't rely too much on any single other neuron always being there. It's like training a team where players might randomly be unavailable. Everyone has to be more versatile. It acts like training many different smaller networks simultaneously. And batch normalization is another life saver, especially for very deep networks. It normalizes the activations within each mini batch during training, basically rescaling them to have a consistent mean in variance.
Speaker 1: Like tuning the signal kind of yeah.
Speaker 2: It helps keep the signals flowing through the network in a healthy range, preventing them from becoming too large or too small, which he'll stabilize training and allows for faster learning.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, that's a lot of tricks. Anything else?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, we also have adaptive learning rate methods. Instead of using one fixed learning rate for the entire network, algorithms like ATTIGRAD, RMS, PROP and the very popular ATOM dynamically adjust the learning rate for each parameter individually. They can speed up learning for slow parameters and slow it down for fast ones, helping convergence. Weight initialization is also surprisingly important. If you start all weights at zero, all neurons in a layer will learn the exact same thing, So you need randomized initialization like xavier or Gloro initialization to break that symmetry and get things going. And finally, especially for things like images, data augmentation is huge. You create more training data by applying random transformations to your existing data, rotating images, shifting them, changing brightness, stuff like that. It makes the model more robust variations.
Speaker 1: That's quite a toolbox. So putting it all together, what does deploying these models actually involve in practice.
Speaker 2: Well, it means a lot of careful hyper parameter tuning, finding the right learning rate, the right amount of regularization, the best network architecture. That often involves experimenting and using those validation sets to see what works best. The book mentions that for the huge data sets we have today, people might use splits like ninety eight percent for training, one percent for validation, and one percent for final testing, which is different from older rules of thumb for smaller data sets.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned GPUs earlier.
Speaker 2: Absolutely critical training these models involves tons and tons of matrix multiplications. GPUs are designed for parallel processing and have high memory ban with making them orders of magnitude faster than traditional CPUs For this kind of work, training deep models without GPUs would be practically impossible or at least incredibly.
Speaker 1: Slow, And sometimes you need more than one.
Speaker 2: GPU for really big models or data sets. Yes, you might use data parallelism where you split the data across multiple GPUs, each training a copy of the model, or even model parallelism where different parts of the neural network itself are spread across different GPUs because the whole model is too big to fit.
Speaker 1: On one Okay, that gives a much clearer picture of the training process and challenges. So we've got the basics, the depth the training. Now let's dive into some specific types of networks. The book talks about architectures designed for different kinds of data.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. Neural networks are incredibly versatile, partly because we could design specialized architectures. Let's start with probably the most famous one for images, convolutional neural networks or CNNs, right.
Speaker 1: The ones inspired by the visual cortex.
Speaker 2: Loosely, yes, the key idea in CNN this is how they process spatial data like images. They typically work with layers that have three dimensions height, width, and depth. Depth here refers to the number of channels like red, green, blue in the input or different feature maps in the hidden layers. The core operation is the convolution. You have these small filters. You can think of them as pattern detectors. Maybe one looks for vertical edges, another for horizontal edges, another for specific texture. These filters slide across the input image or the feature map from the previous layer and compute activations. Where the filter finds its specific pattern, it produces a strong activation in the output feature map.
Speaker 1: So each filter creates its own map, highlighting where it found its.
Speaker 2: Pattern precisely, and a key aspect is parameter sharing. The same filter is used across the entire image, which makes CNNs efficient and helps them recognize patterns regardless of where they appear. These convolutional layers are usually paired with ray lu activations and then often followed by pooling layers. Max pooling is common. It downsamples the feature map, making it smaller by taking the maximum value in small regions. This helps reduce computation and makes the learned features more rowe busts to small shifts or distortions.
Speaker 1: And these are the networks behind image.
Speaker 2: Recognition, absolutely, image classification, object detection. CNNs have driven huge breakthroughs there. The book mentioned some landmark architectures that came out of research and competitions. There was alex net, which really kicked off the deep learning revolution in images around twenty twelve. Then zf net improved on it. Google net introduced these clever inception modules that process features at different scale simultaneously and reduce the number of parameters, and ResNet or residual networks introduced skip connections. Skip connection Yeah they allowed the gradient information to flow more easily through very deep networks by creating shortcuts, essentially letting the signal bypass some layers. This allowed researchers to train networks with hundreds, even over one thousand layers.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so CNN's are four images. What about data that comes in sequences like text or speech where the order is critical.
Speaker 2: That's the domain of recurrent neural networks or RNNs. Their defining feature is a kind of memory. They process sequences step by step, and at each step the output depends not only on the current input, but also on a hidden state that summarizes information from previous.
Speaker 1: Steps, so they remember what came before.
Speaker 2: In a sense. Yes, you can visualize an RNN as having a loop. The hidden state from one time step feeds back into the network at the next time step. And useful way to think about it, especially for training, is to unfurl or unroll this loop over time. It looks like a very deep feed forward network, but with a crucial difference. The same set of weights is used at every single comm step. This weight sharing is key for learning patterns that apply across the sequence.
Speaker 1: What's a typical use case.
Speaker 2: Language modeling is a classic one predicting the next word in a sentence. The book mentions a cool example by Andre's Karpathy, who trained an RNN character by character on Shakespeare's plays. After just a few training it areas, it produced complete gibberish, but after many more iterations it started generating text that looked syntactically like Shakespeare, correctly spelled words, punctuation, line breaks. Even though the meeting was nonsensical, it showed the RNN was learning the structure of the language.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. But do RNNs have issues too, like the gradient problems?
Speaker 2: Oh? Definitely. Those vanishing and exploding gradients we talked about are a major problem for basic RNNs, especially when dealing with long sequences. Trying to propagate information over many time steps is difficult. This led to the development of more sophisticated recurrent units, most famously the long short term memory or LSTM LCM.
Speaker 1: Heard of that one, Yeah.
Speaker 2: LSTMs are a type of R and N cell designed specifically to combat the vanishing gradient problem and capture long range dependencies. They have internal mechanisms called gates, an input gate, a forget gate, and an output gate, and a separate cell state that acts like a conveytor belt for information. These gates learn to control what information is added to the cell state, what's removed, and what affects the output at each step. It allows them to maintain important information over much longer periods. More recently, things like layer normalization have also helped improve RNN.
Speaker 1: Stability, so LSTMs are better at remembering long term patterns.
Speaker 2: Much better generally speaking, and they've been crucial for many applications machine translation, often using any encoder decoder structure where one RNN reads the foot sequence and another generates the output sequence. Google Translate US. This heavily also building conversational AI systems chatbots doing things like named entity recognition and text like identifying names or locations, and even powering recommender systems.
Speaker 1: Okay, CNN's for space, RNs slstms for time or sequence. What if the goal is different, like compressing data or finding a new way to represent it.
Speaker 2: That's where auto encoders come into play. The fundamental idea is pretty elegant, and auto encoder is a neural network trained to reconstruct it its own input.
Speaker 1: Reconstruct its input. What's the point of that?
Speaker 2: Ah? The trick is in the middle. The network usually has a bottleneck layer, a hidden layer with fewer neurons than the input or output layers. To successfully reconstruct the input, the network is forced to learn a compressed representation, a sort of code. In that bottleneck layer. It has to figure out the most essential features of the data to squeeze it through the bottleneck and then reconstruct it. They're sometimes called replicator.
Speaker 1: Networks, so it's learning a compressed version like dimensionality reduction exactly.
Speaker 2: Basic auto encoders with the linear activation function essentially learn the same subspace as principal component analysis PCA, but the real power comes when you make them deep auto encoders with multiple hidden layers and nonlinear activation functions like RYLU. These can learn much more complex nonlinear transformations of the data, effectively disentangling data that might lie on a complicated manifold.
Speaker 1: Better than something like PCA.
Speaker 2: Then, for complex nonlinear structures, often yes, the booknotes that can provide better class separation than linear methods, and while something like TSN is great for visualization, auto encoders are generally better if you need to apply the learned transformation to new unseen data points.
Speaker 1: Are there different kinds of auto encoders.
Speaker 2: Yes several interesting variants. Sparse auto encoders add a penalty to encourage most hidden units to be inactive, outputting zero, leading to sparse representations. Denoising auto encoders are trained to reconstruct the original clean input from a version that has been artificially corrupted with noise. This forces them to learn robust features that aren't sensitive to noise, and variational auto encoders or vaes are a more probabilistic take. They learn a distribution in the bottleneck layer, which is really useful for generating new data samples that look similar to the training data.
Speaker 1: Before we jump to the really cutting edge stuff, the book mentions some forgotten architectures, ones that were important historically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good to acknowledge the stepping stones. Radio basis function networks or RBF networks, for example, they typically have a hidden layer where neurons compute the similarity of the input to certain prototype factors. This makes them related to methods like kernel machines or CAE, nearest neighbors and restricted Boltzmann machines RBMs. These were quite important for a while, especially for pre training deep networks, before modern techniques made end to end training feasible. Ourbms are energy based models, borrowing ideas from statistical physics. They're good at learning patterns, especially in binary data, and can be stacked to form deep believe networks. They were used for tasks like collaborative filtering and initializing deeper networks. While less common as primary models now, their ideas were influential.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating how many different ways there are to structure these networks. Okay, so beyond just learning from data, networks are now doing things that seem more intelligent, like making decisions or even creating new things.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, this takes us into areas like deep reinforcement learning or deep RL. Here the learning paradigm shifts. Instead of learning from label examples supervised learning, the agent learns through reward guided trial and error, much like how humans or animals.
Speaker 1: Learn trial and error. How does that work?
Speaker 2: The agent takes actions in an environment. These actions change the state of the environment and potentially lead to rewards or penalties. The goal is to learn a policy, a strategy for choosing actions that maximizes the total cumulative reward over time. It involves balancing, exploration, trying new things to see what happens, and exploitation sticking with actions known to yield good rewards. The classic multi armed bandit problem is a simple illustration of this trade off.
Speaker 1: So it learns by doing exactly.
Speaker 2: Think of learning to play a game like Tic tac toe. The RL agent might start by making random moves. When it eventually wins, the sequence of moves leading to that win gets positively reinforced. Moves leading to losses get negatively reinforced. Over many games, it learns the value of different board positions and actions. The deep part comes from using deep neural networks to represent the policy or to estimate the value of states and actions, especially in complex environments with huge state spaces like video games or robotics.
Speaker 1: And this is what was used in AlphaGo.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a prime example in a real aha moment. Alphag and later Alpha zero used deep RL to master Go and chess. What was remarkable wasn't just that they beat the best humans, but how they did it. They used deep networks to learn patterns and evaluate board positions from scratch, just by playing millions of games against themselves. Alpha zero discovered strategies and made moves like sacrificing material for positional advantage in chess there were novel and sometimes counterintuitive even to human grand masters. It demonstrated an ability to discover knowledge autonomously through experience, which is a hallmark of RL.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. It's not just following rules, it's finding new ones precisely.
Speaker 2: The core mechanisms often involve things like Q learning learning the expected future reward or quality of taking an action in a state, or policy gradients directly learning the policy function that map states to probabilities of actions. Besides games, dep rls being applied to robot control, like learning to walk or grasp objects, optimizing complex systems, and even potentially training conversational agents that can negotiate or complete tasks.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's learning by doing. What about generating completely new stuff like those realistic but fake images you hear about.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's the territory of generative adversarial networks or jams. This is another really clever idea. The bookies at a great analogy. It's like a gain between a counterfeitter and the police. You have two networks, the generator the counterfeitter tries to create fake data, say images of faces looks realistic. It starts by taking random noises input and transforming it the discriminator. The police is trained to distinguish between real data, actual face images from a data set, and the fake data produced by.
Speaker 1: The generator, so they're fighting each other exactly.
Speaker 2: They train in an adversarial loop. The generator gets better at fooling the discriminator, and the discriminator gets better at spotting the fakes. The process continues until ideally, the generator produces fakes that are so good the discriminator can't tell them apart from real data anymore. Its accuracy is around fifty percent. It's framed as a minimax game, reaching a kind of equilibrium.
Speaker 1: And this creates realistic images.
Speaker 2: Often stunningly realistic ones. Yeah yeah, but here's another aha moment. Conditional jams. These allow you to provide some context or condition to the generator, so instead of just generating any random phase, you could ask it to generate a face based on attributes like smiling, wearing glasses, or even generate an image based on a text description. The book gives examples like converting black and white photos to color, or creating different plausible photographs based on a simple sketch like a police sketch of a suspect.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: What's amazing here is the level of artistry or creativity involved. The chan isn't just reconstructing something. It's filling and missing information in a way that is plausible and esthetically coherent. It's extrapolating realistically from limited context.
Speaker 1: That's bordering on creative Okay. One last area. Models that can focus or have memory.
Speaker 2: Two important concepts there are attention mechanisms and neural turing machines. Attention is inspired by how we humans focus our cognitive resources. Instead of treating all parts of the input equally, attention mechanisms allow a model to dynamically focus on specific portions of the data that are relevant.
Speaker 1: To the task at hand, like paying attention to the important words.
Speaker 2: Exactly in machine translation. When generating a target word, the attention mechanism might focus heavily on the corresponding source words. In image captioning, as the model generates the caption word by word, the attention might shift to different regions of the image relevant to the word being generated. A dog focus on dog catches a frisbee focus on frisbee. It's made a big difference in sequence to sequence tasks and then neural Turing machines or NTMs. These are really fascinating because they try to bridge the gap between neural networks and traditional Most neural networks intertwine computation and memory. The network state is its memory, and it's often transient. NTMs introduce an external persistent memory component like the tape of a Turing machine, that the neural network controller can learn to read from.
Speaker 1: And write to, separating memory and processing.
Speaker 2: Yes, this separation potentially allows them to learn to simulate algorithms just from examples. The book mentions the possibility of an NTM learning to sort a list of numbers simply by seeing many examples of scrambled lists and their sorting versions without being explicitly programmed with a sorting algorithm. They represent a step towards models that can learn more general computational processes closer to how a programmable computer works, but learn through optimization.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so stepping back from all this detail, what does it all mean? We've gone from these simple perceptron bricks all the way to systems that can play, go, generate art, maybe even learn algorithms.
Speaker 2: It's really quite a journey. It's a testament I think to the power of combining relatively simple computational ideas, scaling them up with massive data and compute, and developing clever ways to train them effectively. The adaptability is just astounding. How different architectures like C and NS, R and NS and transformers now can be tailored to unlock insights from wildly different kinds of data. It provides this high level way to build systems that learn complex patterns.
Speaker 1: This deep dive into Aggerwall's book really highlights how far the field has come and how fast it's still moving. From getting the basic training to work dealing with vanishing gradients to building these incredibly speralized and capable systems.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and considering how systems like alphagos seem to discover strategies or how gans can generate novel creative outputs. It really does raise a fascinating question, doesn't it. If these networks can find complex solutions and exhibit something akin to creativity on their own, driven by data and optimization, what new forms of intelligence or problem solving, maybe even things we haven't conceived of, might they unlock in the future.
Speaker 1: That is definitely something to mull over. What might they discover that we with our human biases, might
Speaker 2: Miss exactly I thought to keep you company until our next deep dive