Speaker 1: Welcomeboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dan Matthews Live and local h Town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here. We love you all. So finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: Flute up the cooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start.
Speaker 2: Now bear me the eight.
Speaker 1: This is Space City Saturday.
Speaker 2: It's insane.
Speaker 1: Here's seven nineties Dan Matthews.
Speaker 3: Indeed, it is away. We go here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety. At least one of those two gonna be on your airwaves a little bit later today. That's, of course the second team I mentioned the Rockets, they will be on later tonight taking on the Portland Trailblazers, Rossville Reale, going to have you covered for Rockets launchpad. Then MT and either of the atoms going to be on the call.
Speaker 2: Of course MT there in Portland.
Speaker 3: And I believe it's WEX tonight without looking at it in front of me, I'm sure I'll get a text from him in a second telling me to look at the schedule. You know, you know how wex is semantics, snark, you know all of the s's wex as at all. And I'm sure he'll probably let me know that here shortly, because you know, wex always listening, always listening.
Speaker 2: He's always there. But we appreciate it.
Speaker 3: But of course today, a massive amount of the conversation going to be on what's happening in Kansas City at three point thirty a little bit later today, that's going to be the Texans and the Chiefs Divisional round huge one tonight there in Kansas City as the Texans trying to make franchise history by taking down the two time defending champion Kansas City Chiefs who this season. I mean, you know, it's funny and you're gonna hear as part of our conversation a little bit later on as I'll have some of the great interviews we had this week. I mean, you want to talk about the just great guests that we were able to have on We had dan Orlowski with me and Ross when I was in for Matt Thomas on Thursday. We're gonna have that sometime during the show and also Kevin Harlan, who is going to be on the Westwood one radio call today with Ross Tucker and his daughter Olivia Harlan Decker is also going to be on that call. So it was great to be able to catch up with Kevin. And it was a double whammie for us with Kevin because the night before in Sacramento, he and stan Van Gundy were on the call of the Rockets and the Sacramento Kings, so we were able to get into a little bit of Rockets conversation with him as well. So that is all for you, So we'll have that a little bit later on and then we're also as part of the show today, going to get the A team with Sterling Holmes. Sterling Holmes is a midday host there in Kansas City on eight ten WHB, which is the flagship radio station for the Chiefs up there in Casey, so we're going to get his perspective of the Chiefs side of things. But the Texans for this one at last checked an eight and a half point underdog, and as watching the game, deview home field advantage on NFL Network right now with our good buddy Cynthia Freelan and company. They are talking about this game, and yes, it is holding steady right there at eight and a half, and I mean, I just, you know, I just don't see it. I think this is a Kansas City team that all season long has kind of by the skin of their teeth one and they're fifteen and you know they were six.
Speaker 2: Well were they fifteen and two?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Fifteen and two too. For a reason.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, it's not like it was a mistake that the Chiefs were as good as they were this season.
Speaker 2: And I say it all the time.
Speaker 3: I think people look at winning close games the wrong way is it's not a weakness and it's not an indictment on your team. And you can only get lucky so many times in the NFL. It becomes a point where you know that you can win those games and you're comfortable in those situations. And I told you with the Texans when they were in so many close games and people were saying, oh, that's that's not going to be good for later, I said, no, the complete opposite.
Speaker 2: I believe I think that's.
Speaker 3: Going to be great because when you get to this time of the year, these are the type of games you're going to have you're going to have a tightly contested game, and you know, if you're winning and moving on, you're probably winning and moving on by about a you know, a single score, you know, you know, three or four points something like that. I mean, that's that's how you're able to move on. So that's what the Texans are obviously hoping they can count on today. It's going to be a cold one there in Kansas City, so a lot to get to on that front. And the Rockets, as I mentioned, they lost the other night, they snapping that five game win streak that they had on their side, but trying to start a new tonight in Portland.
Speaker 2: And this has been a fun team to watch. I mean, it has been.
Speaker 3: Just awesome, awesome, awesome, And like I said, you know, with Kevin Harlan, you know, he was singing the praises of em Udoka Rafelstone and the Rockets and what they've been able to build up. So it is been a lot of fun to be able to keep up with. As Jalen Green has been fantastic for the Rockets. And you know, I'll say this too, I mean it we're probably at least a month away from Jabari Smith junior coming back. But we talked about it the other day when I was in with Ross on the Matt Thomas Show. Jabari Smith Junior is now a reserve. I mean, you necessarily haven't done anything to lose your position, but you know what's the old saying, what's the best of what's the best ability availability? And you're not available right now, and while you're out, Men Thompson is filling in admirably. And not only is a men Thompson filling in incredibly well, but I mean that's increased minutes for Cam Whitmore, and Cam Whitmore has been fantastic off the bench for you. I mean he's been pseudo your sixth man. And the other night it was also great to get Tory Easten back as he's been somebody that I think you have sorely missed in what he can give you from a defensive perspective as well as you know, just being able to just be a bulldog down low on the boards and everything else. So it's great to get him back. Steven Adams, as he continues to get more and more healthy, he has been a massive help for the Rockets. So things coming together at the right time for this team, and you know, I can't remember. I think it was Ben du Bow's when he was on with Ross and we used it on Rockets launch pad the other night. The Rockets have had one of the most difficult schedules in the league. That kind of surprised me. Ben, if you're listening, please correct me if I'm wrong, if I'm attributing that in the right way to you. But I mean, you know, this is still a team that's got to play against some of the better teams in the NBA. I mean, you know, this coming week you're going to have the Boston Celtics and then you're going to have not back to back in terms of nights, but back to back games against the best team record wise in the NBA and or at least one of them, in the Cleveland Cavaliers. So I mean, that's another test that you're going to have. So the Rockets will start to see a little bit of an amping up in terms of the difficulty of this schedule. But the good news for you to this point is that you've been able to build a nice little cushion for yourself with these wins and taking care of business against some of the teams that you need to be able to take care of business against. So that's been massive, and they still hold on to the second spot in the West, fourteen games above five, one hundred and twenty seven and thirteen on the season, and trying to make sure they could pick up win number twenty eight tonight, that would be massive. I was talking about game debut on NFL Network. They did a little pick segment just you know, a few minutes ago. Our good friend Cynthia Freeland, who we had on yesterday with us.
Speaker 2: On the A team.
Speaker 3: She went with the Chiefs but winning twenty six to twenty and Patrick Claybaugh went with the Chiefs as well.
Speaker 2: But Greg Rosenthal picking the Texans. So it's not a clean sweep right there.
Speaker 3: Usually fan bases, you know, this is more on the college game day side that usually fan bases. It is a situation where you want your favorite team to be picked against and you want everybody to go with them. I mean remember in the Georgia Texas game earlier this year in Austin, that was the rallying cry for the Bulldogs of Hey, you guys all picked Texas to win this game. And it's not to say that that's the reason they went out there and played the way they did.
Speaker 2: But still it's fun for the fan base.
Speaker 3: Oh you counted us out, you doubted us all of these different things. So not everybody doubting the Texans today. So Greg Rosenthal picking the Texans to pull off the upset, I mean, we dream for a second, how awesome that would be. I mean, I'm going to be out somewhere later today. Follow me on Twitter if you want to find out where I am for the game, as I think I actually might be meeting up with Rows and Lalima for this one, so we'll see. So if that's the case and you spot us out somewhere, come on over say hello. But I mean, can you imagine that the Texans pull this off? It would be just the buzz that that team has created in this town would be at a fever pitch if that were the case.
Speaker 2: So we'll see if the Texans.
Speaker 3: Are able to do that a little bit later on in the show today as well. I think to start off the eleven o'clock hour, one of my absolute favorites in the business, and I think many of ours as well. Bob Uker passing away earlier this week, from a battle with lung cancer. I hated to see the news. I mean, you know, what wasn't he in life? I think is the better question. Because he was on mister Belvidere Wwe used him. He was the front row guy for Miller LTEs and I saw a nice little touching tribute his statue outside of the Brewers Ballpark and people, of course, you know whenever a legend passes away, like you know, I've told you that for you know, ten plus years I worked in Atlanta, and during that time, I was there when Hank Aaron passed away. And obviously you know what Hank Aaron means not only to baseball but to that community. And the amount of flowers, jerseys, hats, whatever it was at his statue inside Truest Park. People came and put those right next to his statue, in front of his statue. And I saw up in Milly that there were a lot of Miller Lite cans on Bob Uker's statue.
Speaker 2: Of course, you know we knew him from those commercials.
Speaker 3: If you grew up watching Johnny Carson, you remember him as being mister Baseball on there. And of course you know I've mentioned all of those that had even mentioned the one that he's probably most notable for his work as Harry Doyle, the voice of the Cleveland Indians on Major League So great stuff, and of course, you know he had some great one liners during his careers. So we're gonna pay tribute to Bob Uker Harry Doyle himself a little bit later on, so I'm looking forward to being able to do that again.
Speaker 2: Just a huge fan of his.
Speaker 3: And if you follow me on Instagram at Dan Matthews two seven, I posted a picture of me back in twenty thirteen where we were both in the same press box together, and I was in the cafeteria there in the press box, and I noticed that Bob Buker was there, you know, and I knew where he would have to walk to get to his booths. So of course I'm kind of doing the you know, the creepy you know, wait there because I know they have to come through here kind of thing. And of course, you know, he's walking walking over and I knew that he had enough time, so asked him, you know, hey, mister yucker, can I get a picture? Absolutely, young man, you know, and of course we pose for the picture. Take the picture. And you know, just you know, shook his hand and told him, really enjoy your work. Oh, I appreciate that very much, thank you so much. And he went his way. I went my way, but still it was awesome to be able to have that brief interaction with him, and like many of us, a massive fan of Bob Yucker.
Speaker 2: So we'll have that a little bit later on.
Speaker 3: And also too, we're not too far away from Astros Baseball, as we had Astro Line last night to know, Blummer caught up with Astro's manager Joe Espada, and next week we're going to be at dyke In Park as we will be there from eleven until four for Astro's FanFest next week. So looking forward to being able to do that. I know a lot of you going to be out there for it, and it'll be a ton of fun. And I think the good news is is with the hard freeze this week, at least as I was watching the local news weather this morning, I don't think it's going to be a downright cold where we are all going to be just freezing or you know what's off as I don't know what it is about dyke In Park. You know, even before it was named after an air conditioning company. That's I mean for years, you know, if you've been there for the College Baseball Classic or for anything else that when it's cold out, I mean it seems like it is even colder. It's almost like a refrigerator in there when it's cold out. So I don't know what it is, but bundle up is so what I could tell you if you're going to be out there next week. But again, I don't think it's going to be incredibly cold, so that's good news.
Speaker 2: So hopefully we can get it on the warmer side of winter for that one.
Speaker 3: So we'll be out there and of course stay tuned to us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We'll have everybody that's gonna be coming by our table sitting down with us talking, and I mean we're not too far away. Once you hit you know, once you hit Astros fan Fest, then you know, about a couple of weeks from there, it's pictures and catchers showing up in West Palm Beach, and then a week later it's the full squad, and then about a week after that it's spring training games right here on your home of the Astros. So it's right around the corner. We can feel it looking forward to it. H Nick and the galleria, John in Galveston. I see you guys right there. I'll get to you guys here in a second. If you want to join them on the phone lines, you can do so. Seven one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's seven one three two one two five seven nine zero. Coming up next though, we'll continue the Texans conversation because I feel like a convenient excuse could be had, but it won't be the reason. I'll explain what I mean at next as we'll get to Like I said, Nick and John, I see you all right there, get you guys in on the phone lines as we are just getting started right here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you on your home with the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Space City Saturday, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Talk seven ninety Matthews.
Speaker 2: Here with you.
Speaker 3: Every time I hear this song, I always think of the wedding singer, you know, Grandma.
Speaker 2: She gets up on stage and she sings a song.
Speaker 3: So anyway, it's it's a good, feel good tune and we're feeling good today. It's a nice little Saturday here. It seems like the last one we're gonna have, at least for the next week, because I mean, you know, we were all watching the news and keeping up with the weather, and you know, Tuesdays seems like I mean, I you know, I saw too, Melvin where you know you've got school districts already, you know, shutting.
Speaker 2: Down for Tuesdays.
Speaker 3: So it seems like, you know, Tuesday is going to be the day of go ahead and have everything taken care of and nice little snow at the house. But you know, the blessing and the curse of this business, well there are no snow days because well we'll be on with you, and of course you know that our partners, our sister station, News Radio seven forty KTR, they're gonna be all over it. So in addition to listening to us, and I mean, you know, I can't tell you a better time than now to download the free iHeartRadio app, the new and improved Free iHeartRadio App, and of course you've got the scanning function and all of our great stations here as part of our iHeartRadio Houston Cluster News Radio seven forty as well as KPRC nine p. Fifty and also ninety four to five the buzz, I mean, you know the beat as well, so you've got us all. But you know, with the severe weather event coming up, you know that news Radio seven forty and the crew over there at KTRH they're going to have you covered with all the up to the minute information and so invite you to check them out this week to try to help you stay safe through the winter weather coming through our area. Sub one three two and two five seven ninety is the number to get in again. Sub one three, two and two five seven nine zero. As you know, I mentioned that this could be a convenient excuse for the Texans today, and I don't think that it will be the reason if things don't go their way. So our good buddy Aeron Wilson, who covers the Texans, and this was talked about this week. With Shaq Mason coming back on the practice field, there was a question of does he get reinserted back into the starting lineup. Well, Aaron Wilson this morning on Twitter pointing out that Mason is indeed expected to get the start at right guard today and I know that that immediately brings up some of the reactions. I mean, I didn't see any of the responses to it, but it was just a few hours ago. Got he he had it just after five am.
Speaker 2: Aaron, when do you sleep? Man?
Speaker 3: But veteran guard Shack Mason back from a grade to knee sprain back in starting lineup playoff game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Now Like I said, I don't think this will be the reason if indeed today does not go well. But I mean the question that I have for not only Bobby Slowick, but offensive line coach Chris Strasser, Tamiko Ryans, I mean, everybody that's making this decision is why, like what necessarily has Shack Mason done this year to make you say, oh, we have to have him back in the starting lineup because what have we heard the last couple of weeks from the Texans when it comes to this offensive line.
Speaker 2: We really like their play. They've been a lot better.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, we talked and I talked with Titus Howard after the game and I asked him, is this group of five offensive linemen are you guys coming together? And he said emphatically yes, we are, Like we like what we have up front right now, and then of course versus he hit the left guard, Larrymy Tunzel left tackle, Jared Patterson at center, Jew Scruggs at right guard, and Blake Fisher at right tackle. And I mean that's again getting back to the why why mess that up? I mean, I said the line in the first segment the best ability is availability, and Shack Mason hasn't been on the field, and those couple of weeks that you've had this group of starting five, I understand that the Tennessee game was a little bit of an outlier because it wasn't necessarily a game that you were giving it a full go in, and neither was Tennessee because it was more advantageous for them to lose then for them to be able to win. But last week, its second half against the Los Angeles Chargers, you had your best performance of the season as an offense, and I think a huge part of that was the guys up front and what you were able to do against a very good LA Chargers defensive front, and you were able to keep them off your quarterback for the most part, art you were able to run the football. I mean that was the first time since December, the one when the Texans beat the Jags in Jacksonville that Joe Mixon had gone above one hundred yards in a game. And I mean, it just kind of gets to a point where it's paralysis by analysis.
Speaker 2: It's overthinking it.
Speaker 3: I mean, how many times are you told by your friends, don't overthink it, don't overthink it. This is overthinking it one hundred percent. This is overthinking it. And I just, for the life of me, I can't understand, you know, the desire to have Shaq Mason back in this starting offensive line, because for the most part this season, he has not been good. And I think going forward, even if you know, you go into the offseason at about seven o'clock tonight or if you're preparing for a game next week after this season comes to an end, I don't have him back. He's one of the guys that I think you go ahead and move on from and try to rebuild this offensive line in the effort to protect your top and.
Speaker 2: Which is your quarterback number seven, C J. Stroud.
Speaker 3: And it's been a rough season on him from that perspective, So again, I think that it can be a convenient excuse him. I'm sure that the tweets will be fast and furious today if indeed, you know, things don't go their way, and C. J. Stroud is consistently pressured. But I mean again, you know, kind of to do a little bit of a best of X right here. I mean some of the responses that Aaron getting to that tweet. One of them smh, another one, No, hell no, so he can get beat every single play again another one. I am disappointed with the decision. While I trust the coaches. The lines of the line has been below average all season. We did some decent improvement after he left with injury. So I mean, look, I understand the frustration of it all, and I share a lot of it too, but I just, for the life of me, you know, Chris Strausser and company, you got to explain this one to me, because I mean, you went ahead and made the right decision when it came to Kenyon Green. You know what Kenyon Green is at this point, and injuries are a part of his development. But when he's been on the field, he's not been good for you. And that's been something that I just when you have something consistently going in your right direction at this point, that you now decide to go ahead and say, oh, well, you know, he's one of our our our veteran guys in that group.
Speaker 2: We've got to put him back out there.
Speaker 3: I'm not riding with you on that, so I mean, I've I've shared my objections about it. I'm sure some of you have some as well. Against someone three two, one, two, five, seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Is the number to get in.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Nick in the gallery has waited patiently enough. Let's get to you, Nick. What's going on, buddy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I had a question in the light of all this Larmi Tounzel stuff throughout the season. You know how how players have incentives in their contract to reach certain numbers.
Speaker 6: Can can you do the opposite approach and.
Speaker 5: Find a player for each you know, hey, man, after your first five off sides or you know, fall starts, we're gonna start funding you, you.
Speaker 6: Know, five grand of pop here.
Speaker 5: Can you start doing that to like Lineman or to whoever would be causing you negative impacts based on their poor play?
Speaker 3: No, you cannot, And if you did try to do that, Nick, you would have the NFLPA filing so many grievances against you in such a quick amount of time. And I think you would even have guys in your own locker room saying, whoa wait a minute, you're taking money out of my pocket for things on the field. I mean, you know, the penalties, things like that. I mean, you at that point leave it up to the league. But no, I mean, I know it's frustrating, I know it's annoying. It's all of those things, and of course they try to handle it a different way, but no, you would be in Dutch with the NFLPA and maybe even the league at that point because they'd be like, hey, you're creating a situation for us that we don't want.
Speaker 5: Could you could The Texans management kind of threw their hands up in the air just say like, listen, you know anything. Knowing is it's not going to get approved, but just to say, hey, learn me. It's that bad that we tried to start finding you five thousand dollars per penalty because you're doing that much harm. Yeah, you think that could be something that as a statement, but not as.
Speaker 6: An actual policy.
Speaker 3: Again, I mean, I just I think you're getting into grievance territory. I appreciate the call, Nick, we're up against it here, but no, I mean again, you would have a grievance filed against you so fast that you wouldn't even be able to get to the point where you're trying to be able to recoup.
Speaker 2: Some of that money.
Speaker 3: I mean, I get it with Tunsel at times this season it's been frustrating, but also though too. I mean, you know, he had a lot of them early on in the beginning of the season, and you haven't heard number seventy eight announced by the official on the fie as often in the later going this season, so I think at least it's been message received by him. But in terms of teams doing that, you're not gonna have that. You don't want to set that precedent because you start doing that. I mean, you know, the Texans are trying to improve this offensive line this offseason, and if you're trying to go out on the free agent market, you do stuff like that, don't you think that other players are gonna be like, well, hell, I'm not going there if I've got to do that much overthinking on the field in addition to my play, Yeah, it's a non starter. So I appreciate to call Nick, but yeah, not happening. The best you can do is try to coach it out of him, and that's at least what Chris Strausser and the Texans coaching staff have tried to do all right. Coming up next, as I mentioned yesterday on the A team, we had a very very very special guest. I know that AC was especially excited at when he joined us, Kevin Harlan, who of course is going to be on the west Wood one radio call today, but also we know that he's with Tea and Tea. You see him on CBS with the NFL coverage and also part of March Madness. He is just a treasure in every single way. So we appreciate Kevin Harlan's time and it was great visits. So I want to give you guys a chance to be able to hear that that's coming up next right here, Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you until noon on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: This is Space City Saturday on Scorns Talk seven night.
Speaker 3: The Rockets, one of those teams comes up in the conversation you're going to hear right now because Kevin Harlan, the legendary voice of CBS Sports. You also see him as we did on Thursday night as part of the Rockets or excuse me, the NBA coverage there on TNT, and also today you're going to be hearing them on the radio if you're listening to the west Wood One call of the Texans and the Chiefs. He does it all, and he's incredibly talented and incredibly entertaining, all in one swoop. So we appreciate Kevin Harlan's time with us yesterday on the A team. So here is our visit with one of the legends of our business.
Speaker 7: Joined as promised by the Man, the myth, the legend, friend of the show.
Speaker 6: His name is Kevin Harlan.
Speaker 7: Kevin, I know you're calling the Texans Chiefs game tomorrow and I should hesitate to congratulate you because it's not official yet, but I'm really rooting for that Amazon deal, and I'm just going to say it out here in public.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you. Yeah, we're not quite we're not quite there. Were trying to figure out a few things. Will be nice to say that. By the way, I didn't see your Rockets last night. Did the game for TNT out in Sacramento, and that's a good young team you have out there. My goodness, it's the first time I've seen them in person actually, and wow, at TNT, we haven't done the Rockets and for so this was really a treat to see what has happened. They kind of fell off the NBA map, but not no longer number two in the West and playing well and even though they didn't win last night in the second of a back to back for them after beating Denver the night before, there's a lot to like about that team. But the NBA is a great product. I'm honored that they want to have me maybe involved and in the next chapter of how they're going to televise these games, and we'll see where it takes us.
Speaker 8: We are the home for the Rockets on the radio, the flagship station. But obviously we are aware you and Stan had the call of the game last night, and I definitely hear what you're saying about they've not been there in a while on national TV on TNT, because we've talked about that quite a bit. It's a totally new era with what the email has put together and obviously the talent that Rafel has added to this team. And obviously we could go on and on about how exciting they are to watch now that you've seen them just the last night. But obviously a little focus on the postseason game tomorrow with your crew, with Westwood One coming in for it or going to Kansas City for it. It's kind of like every year to us here, who's going to be Kansas City? Who's going to keep them out of the AFC Title Game at least if not the Super Bowl? What has come to your attention this week that makes you even think, yeah, maybe it's the Texans.
Speaker 4: Well, the dynamic playmakers on defense, which we saw. Trent Green and I did a couple of the Texans games for CBS's past year. Most recently we did the game they played against Miami down in Houston, and the defense was just superb. And after watching what they did last week, to Justin Herbert, they're right in line and building in confidence, and I don't think they're going to blink. You know, they just played the Chiefs this season late in the year and lost, but it's not like they're coming in having never faced them, not knowing what they've got and how they work. They're in the playoffs last year, they're in the playoffs this year. They got to win now, and I think why not? Why not the Texans? I know that in a lot of people's dance cards, it may not be that close the game. I think just the opposite. Quite frankly, I think I think the the Dexans will come in. I think they'll play loose, and I think they'll rely on that defense. I think the quarterbacks playing with confidence, and I mean, you just never know in these games. Right, We've seen some amazing spreads and the underdog has come in out of no place and won. And it would be a formidable challenge clearly to come to Arrowhead and win tomorrow. But I don't see any reason why you'd be amazed if they came in and beat the Chiefs. The Chiefs have been beat the ball season. They have just found ways late in games to win. They played it with a lot of grit, and but when you live on the edge like that, sometimes some of the magic that you pull off doesn't necessarily work. And I think that's what the Dexans are counting on and trying to build off of last week's nice went over the Chargers.
Speaker 7: You've been in a million different venues, You've called a billion different games, and it just doesn't always line up this way where a team goes back to the same venue they just played in about a month ago. And you know, sometimes people buy into things like that or look into things like that because it's Arrowhead, because it's the Chiefs, because it's.
Speaker 6: Mahomes and the aura and all that.
Speaker 7: Do you think there's any advantage to having just been there for this Texans team as it pertains to this playoff game tomorrow?
Speaker 4: I do you know? I know that this is the scene where Tank was injured and the loss for the season, and the emotional loss that was let alone. The loss was on the field, and his close relationship with CJ. But I would envision that might be a rallying Cris saying let's go back to the the crime, so to speak, and and and see, uh see if we can. They're not gonna blink. Like I mentioned before, they've uh if you haven't played someone in a long time and aren't and and all you do is you watch and read about what they've accomplished in the championships they've gotten. I can see where a team that's an uncommon opponent would come in with a little bit of like like a little wonder, a little bit of like uh oh like, but not I don't get that from the Texans. I I like you said, they just played them, familiar opponent, and uh they know exactly what they are. So some of that aura, so to speak, some of that that that mystical feel that championship teams always possess. I don't know that that's going to be an influence on the Texans at all. I think they're going to look at just another football game and just try not to make mistakes and a lot of resting on that young quarterback, clearly. But when you have the kind of defense they've got and what they showed last week, defense can travel in this league regardless of the of the weather conditions. And it is going to be cold in Kansas City tomorrow for sure, but the Chiefs are going to have to play in it too. So I do think it's an advantage that they've just played them. They know about them, and it's not like they've they've just been looking at Afar and wondering, you know, what it's like to play the great Mahomes. They just did it, and they and while they lost, they it was a close game and tight game's.
Speaker 8: Talking with Kevin Harlan will be on the call of Westwood One Radio of this game coming up between the Texans and the Chiefs.
Speaker 6: Kind of along those same lines.
Speaker 8: It's the fourth playoff game in you know, thirteen months for CJ. Stroud and Will Anderson Junior and Demiko Ryan's all new to the league, but now not new to this. Do you think that also plays into just going out there and playing football beyond being worried about anything else that now they're kind of used to what playoff football is like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And what a blessing right that these kids have been exposed to big games as early in their career, games that are important and matter. You know, a playoff game in any sport is such a great experience. But to go through it as they have now multiple times for young players in two years of the young coach, uh, you know, this is just it's you could not ask for a better recipe to to broad development, to aid development, to you know, be a you know, to to join the growth that these games always bring out of the players. There's no doubt that you know, you can play a regular season game and and it's it's amazing in the NFL or the NBA or whatever sport, but the playoffs are always faster, sharper, require more focus. They just it does. It takes it to another level. And the fact that these young players are now playing in multiple games at this stage of their careers only adds and in fact in the kind of team they are to become and the kind of players they're going to become. Listen, this is the way that CJ and Anderson have developed, and what Denil has done for that team since he's been there, and the way that secondary I love that secondary, by the way that secondary that as the makings that secondary, if they stay on this path, could become one of the great secondaries ever. I mean, I just think there's enough talent. It's young, but boy, if they've been incredibly impactful, and sometimes you know you, age doesn't matter. It's skill, it's concentration, it's focus, it's preparation. They'll come the Texans will with all those assets and arrow at tomorrow. I don't think they blink. I think they come in there and they play a whale of a game. Winning is one thing, but they would not get embarrassed. They'll build upon last week. Brain's going to continue to roll. This is all This is the good stuff right here. These are the beginning moments of what's to come, and clearly what's to come for this young team, young coach, young quarterback is incredibly impressive.
Speaker 7: Kevin Harlan providing the goosebumps here on Sports Talk seven to ninety right now. You know, we talk about the future and the promise of this Texan squad and then you, obviously on the other side, you have the establishment. And as a guy who called so many of Tom Brady's amazing games, did you ever think we'd be even having discussions with a straight face that Patrick Mahomes or anybody at the quarterback position might be able to chase his ring count down at least this early on after Brady finally walked away.
Speaker 4: Now, I really didn't, and you hit all the points. So this close to the end of that New England dynasty and Brady's run to do this is just unbelievable. They have met the two of them in the Super Bowl when Brady was with the Buccaneers and Brady beat him, so they have crossed at this very important level before. But I don't think anybody after watching Brady and Belichick, you know, for those twenty years in Voxborough, do what they did. The succession of Super Bowl appearance is the wins. You're saying, you know, it's no one to even come close to it. And here we have a guy right on the heels of that who is on that same path. And he's not thirty yet. Mahmes is not thirty years old yet. So the coach is there, he's in his mid sixties. He has no place to go. He wants the coach the organization. Although they lost one of their assistant general managers to the Tennessee Titans, today is their new guy in charge of football down in Nashville. And there's a little brain train. And this is kind of what happened to the Patriots. By the way. They lost assistant coaches, they lost a lot of front office people, and they just they just could not stop the flow that people were escaping too quick and it was hard to replenish those important positions. And the chiefs are actually in a position where they may not only lose their assistant GM who they coveted, but they could lose both their coordinators. So when you have a run like Brady and Belichick, they're that certainly the number one sentence in that story, But it's all the people that were there at the same time, you know, holding out of the rope and pulling in the right direction that made Brady and Belichick possible. And I think that that Reid and Mahomes would say the same thing. It wasn't just us, although we may be, you know, the headline. It's been the assistant gms. It's been the coordinators. It's been the assistants and the staff and the personnel to draft and continue to replenish what we have and go out and scout like so, it takes a lot of different parts to make it happen and when it and it's so rare, you know, you can count Dinadh in the NFL in one hand. We had Green Bay, we had Dallas, we at San Francisco, we had Pittsburgh, and clearly we had New England. And now we've got Kansas City. But that's over fifty plus years of football, sixty years of football, so they're hard to achieve. But clearly in Kansas City, this has been a remarkable, remarkable story.
Speaker 7: He called the Rockets game last night. He's going to call the Texans Chiefs tomorrow. He's Kevin Harlan, by the way, unabashed fanboy moment.
Speaker 6: Marv Albert was always my guy.
Speaker 2: You are now my favorite.
Speaker 7: You're at the top of the list, and we love talking to you every time we get a chance.
Speaker 4: Kevin Harlan interviews and that I take that as an incredible honor. Marvis d Boys will always be the voice of the NBA and just to be able to call that great game is terrific. And I'll tell you this what I saw last night, And like I said, I had not done a Rocket scheme. I was thinking last I think Doug Collins was my partner, and I'm going and back like six seven, eight years, like forever. And we used to be down there all the time when Harden was there and and they were writing up the NBA. But this team seems to have a lot to it. They've got depth, they have talent. It's funny actually, how the Rockets and the Texans are kind of on parallel paths. They rely on young superstar talent, the talent teams, but sure enough to handle the the duty, the job in front of them, and they're not They're not disappointing. It's it's it's great to watch this revitalization of these two, these two franchises. But I'm excited to watch tomorrow. The Texans are a quality team. They deserve to be in this round, their division champ and I think they'll give the Chiefs all they can handle.
Speaker 7: Good stuff as always, Kevin Harlan, we appreciate the time and looking forward to hearing your call tomorrow and catching up with you again very very soon.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much, great great to be out with you. Take here and have a nice weekend, all right.
Speaker 3: We definitely will try to do that, Kevin Ken Kevin harl And joining us yesterday on the A team and Rockets Sexans fans, you got to feel good about what he had to offer right there. Of seeing the trajectory of both organizations definitely on the up.
Speaker 2: That is great to hear.
Speaker 3: For sure, the Texans today a huge part of what could lead to their success. I think we all know it, and it's all about him. We'll talk about that next here on the other side as we close out our one here on Space City Saturday.
Speaker 2: Again, Dan Matthews here with you.
Speaker 3: If you want to hop aboard on the phone lines, you can do so. Seven one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's seven one three two one two five seven nine zero. As we continue to roll along here on Space City Saturday, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Space City Saturday continues by Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 9: This is.
Speaker 2: Matthew's here with you.
Speaker 3: A great trash you, Ivan. I appreciate you bringing us in with good stuff today. As we always know that Melvin is going to be all over it when it comes to the bumpbacks. He's one of the dynamite guys in our business for a reason, so we appreciate him doing that. Again, if you want to hop aboard on the phone lines, he can do so. Set one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's seven one three two one two five seven nine zero. So we've talked about what the keys are for the Texans today. I mean, you know, I've given my thoughts on the reported news that Shack Mason will be back on the offensive line as a starter. I've given my objections. I've told you I feel about that. We've talked all week about this defense, and you just heard Kevin Harland, I mean, you know, talking glowingly about the Texans not only this defense, but the defensive playmakers, as he said, and even calling his shot with the secondary of Derek Stingley, Kamari Laster, Kayln Bullock of saying that that group could be one of the best for some time to come here in the NFL, and there would be no better way and no better place to prove that you were well on your way to doing that than today in Kansas City. So we'll see if they are able to do that. But trumping all of those is the play of c J.
Speaker 2: Stroud.
Speaker 3: Now we saw in the second half last week against the Chargers in the wildcard game.
Speaker 2: That was the CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud that we saw all throughout twenty twenty three, twenty twenty four, right, Like, that's the guy that was confident, he was making plays, he was stepping into his throws.
Speaker 2: He was that guy again.
Speaker 3: And it's also a question of can that translate to this week?
Speaker 2: I mean, because that.
Speaker 3: Was incredibly refreshing to see. After he had the fumbled snap and you know, running scrambling out to his right, finding Xavier Hutchinson and leading to the Texans Furst score of the game, you were.
Speaker 2: Kind of like, Okay, hey, hey, he's that guy. Again like there you go.
Speaker 3: We knew number seven, we knew he had that in him still and still trying to be able to prove that he can do that this week against Kansas City.
Speaker 2: And CJ did speak with the.
Speaker 3: Media earlier this week and going to play a couple of those cuts for you right here as the first one we're gonna have for you. So the second time the Texans are seeing the Chiefs this season. The first time, of course, it was the injury to Tank Dell that kind of zapped the energy out of this team. After Jared Wayne ran into his knee on that touchdown catch and they had to bring the card out, there was an emotional scene on the field. We've gone through all of that part of it all, but CJ talking about seeing the Chiefs for the second time and how it could really be a benefit to the Texans this time around.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you definitely got to go back and you know, see you know, things that work, things that didn't work, you know, and I think that definitely helped playing them so recently. But you know, they also have that advantage as well, so you know, we got to be able to you know, still have a new game plan and do things that are you know, new and but yeah, it definitely does help to see the I know your team again and you know they're you know, they do a lot of great things, and you know, we didn't really see a whole bunch of it, I think of the exotic things, so you know, I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff started to show up. So yeah, but it definitely does help that we've seen them not too not too long ago.
Speaker 3: And I mean, you know he touched on it right there. I mean, this is an outstanding coaching staff with Andy Reid and with Steve Spagnolo there in Kansas City. The defense is one of the best in the NFL. I mean, he's going to have his work cut out for him today. And they're also going to look at what didn't work the first time against the Texans. What can we exploit in terms of giving it to our you know, helping ourselves out to our advantage in terms of being able to make those adjustments against the Texans this time around, and CJ and the offense trying to do the same thing today. But you know, I mentioned Tank Dell and what happened there in Kansas City the first time. Another bit of motivation for CJ in the crew today is last week they had Tank Dell and Stefon Diggs on the sidelines with them, and the players talked about what a huge morale boost that was. Well, trying to continue that morale boost up in Kansas City today. CJ talking about trying to get it done for number three.
Speaker 10: You know, it's emotional spar we play, especially, you know when you be with somebody for so long, you know, you see how hard they work, you know how much they led a game, and you know the sea tangle out like that was was very tough. And I think you've been seeing him this weekend after game and better spirits, you know, smiling again and gave us like a boost energy. So you know, now we got to go do it for him away in the same stadium he got hurt, But you know we got to find a way not sage emotional and channel Dad. And I think we'll be able to do that and you know, just be more inspired than anything and try to get it done for him.
Speaker 2: See, and I talked about this.
Speaker 3: I had zero issues with CJ and the emotions she showed that was genuine. It was in the moment that's how he felt. And I know that some people, you know, said out the quarterback can't do that, quarter can't show any weakness.
Speaker 2: All of those different things.
Speaker 3: We kind of touched on it right there of you know a little bit at the end of that cut, taking the emotions out of it, and you know, realizing there's a job to do there, there's a game to be won, and there's a performance to be had, and you know that you're not gonna have Tank Dell on the field with you, but also go out there and try to make sure you keep this thing going in his honor and that you're able to continue the good things on the field. So you know, I told you that I felt like CJ was going to learn from that experience. I would probably suspect if something like this ever happens again, that he won't have the same reaction, because I'm either wondering if just himself, you know, realizing hey, I can't do that, or if somebody came to him and said, hey man, something like that happens. We got to you're you're the guy that leads, you know, sets the tone. You're you're the guy that leads the charge here, Like we've got to have you still with your head in the game and for us to be able to try and be able to pa this thing off. So good stuff there from CJ. Stroud and hopefully good stuff today from the Texans.
Speaker 2: We're gonna take a brief break.
Speaker 3: Away from the Texans because, as I mentioned at the top of the show, I want to pay homage and give honor to a man that was a true titan in our business, a man who it's almost a question of, like I said earlier, what didn't he do in this life? But Bob Uker passing away earlier this week, and we will remember the life and the career in the public spotlight of Bob Uker. And so we open up the eleven o'clock.
Speaker 2: Hour here again.
Speaker 3: If you want to hop in on the phone lines, you can do so. Someeone three two one two five seven ninety once again, that's someone three two one two five seven nine zero as our one is.
Speaker 2: In the books.
Speaker 3: Here on Space City Saturday, hour two straight ahead right here, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Welcome aboard, Welcome to another Face City Saturday. On Sports Talk seven ninety, Dad Matthews Live and local h Town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here. We love you all.
Speaker 1: So finish up on that to do list. Lout up the cooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't.
Speaker 2: Start now bear me the eight.
Speaker 1: This is Face City Saturday. That's insane. Here's seven nineties Dan Matthews.
Speaker 3: Sports Talk seven ninety and Matthews here with you on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, as we will get the Rockets a little bit later on tonight, as mentioned earlier, a nine o'clock tip from up there in the Pacific Northwest and two teams with completely opposite records right on the number, as the Rockets twenty seven and thirteen on the season, while the.
Speaker 2: The Blazers are thirteen and twenty seven.
Speaker 3: So the Rockets, hoping they can be able to pick up a huge win tonight, would probably expect Fred van Vliet to be back on the floor for this one after missing the Kings game the other night, So we'll see if indeed that is the case, as the Rockets up there in Portland to take on the Blazers later tonight. See a couple of you on the phone lines as we will. As a matter of fact, Martin, I'll go ahead and get to you here before we get to our Bob Ucker tribute here as Martin and Angleton wants to weigh in Sports Talk seven ninety Martin, what's going on?
Speaker 11: Hey, Dan? Hey, before I get some comment? Hey, Thursday, you came in for Matt And how'd you like my singing exploits my tribute to John Dinner? How'd you like that? Pretty good? Huh?
Speaker 2: You know, Martin, I think I appreciate it a lot more than Ross. I mean I know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Let me take Ross knows that I'm way funnier than he is, and when I come on, I make him kind of look bad at times, and he didn't like that. But see Ross, Dixy's funny, and he's he's very much not funny. And I'm hilarious. I'm a hysterical guy. I'd crack people up at work, and and I'm an entertainer at work, you know, and people get a big kick out of me. But anyway, it shoots in the in the Texas, I my boy. You know, I love my Houston teams. I love the Oilers. I do love the Texas but I just still think the Texans are ready for the moment yet. I think they're gonna go up there and get beatn like thirty one to six or thirty one to nine or thirty three to nine or something like that. I think they're gonna get embarrassed. I don't think they're ready for it. I hope I'm wrong. I hope they prove me to be very wrong. But I think that the Chiefs are gonna win this handedly and comfort, and so that's what I think. But I hope I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: Dan, Yeah, I appreciate the call, Martin. I don't see it going that way. I just I think this is a Texans team that was able to find a little bit of what they've been looking for all season long, and that was that edge to be able to play the way that they knew they could play. I mean, we knew how good this defense could be. They've probably even exceeded expectations this year in terms of stopping the run and how good this secondary has been. I mean, I think that's something that they have on their side in terms of confidence today. And the key is, just as I talked about in the last segment, Martin, it's the offense, it's c J.
Speaker 2: Stroud.
Speaker 3: If he's confident, if he's able to make plays today, then you keep yourself in the game. If you're able to get Joe Mixon involved, then you're able to give yourself every opportunity to stay close and maybe even come out what they win today. I think the part that you know they can't fall into is, oh, this Chief's team is incredibly beatable. That being as true as it might be, this is still a team that again, I mean, we make comparisons all the time down here to the Chiefs and the Astros. Right where the Astros when they get into the postseason last year with standing, but when they get into the postseason they feel like that's their time. The Chiefs feel the same way that. Last year. You had a lot of people doubting them being able to go to Buffalo and win, they did it. Doubting them being able to go to Baltimore and win, they did the same thing all of their games. Now, if they are able to finish off the string of getting back to the Super Bowl, are going to be right there at Arrowhead. So it's a little bit of a different path for them. But you know, they did tempt fate quite a bit this season, But the finisher of all of that is they still finished fifteen to two on the season.
Speaker 2: That's a really good football team.
Speaker 3: So I don't see it, you know, being that much of a gap between these two teams today. I mean, the Texans obviously shorthanded in terms of skill position play as opposed to what the Chiefs are rolling out there. But I still think with this defense, they give themselves an opportunity to stand in line to maybe be able to pull off the wind. So hopefully they can do just that all right now as promised, as mentioned the Life and Times of one Bob Uker. I mean, you might have known him as Harry Doyle, you might have known him as the Miller, like front row guy, mister Baseball from Johnny Carson, any of those things. There's one thing though, that I think we can agree he did this life very well. As the news earlier this week, Bob Uker passed away at the age of ninety. He had been battling a small cell lung cancer for the last couple of years of his life and worked all the way until the end. I mean, you know, one of the clips that had been making its rounds. This week after Bob had passed away, was his final call on the Milwaukee Brewers broadcast after the Brewers lost to the Mets in the Wildcar and around, and you know, talking about the ninth inning comeback by the Mets and how that was going to have some sting to it for how it ended for the brew crew this season. But you know, like I said, with Bob Buker, it was the many things that he did during his life and of course the things that made him, you know, a a household favorite for a lot of people out there, and one of them was you were watching TV there in the eighties and those Miller like commercials would come on and at least one of them had Bob Uker as part of it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 12: One of the best reasons about being the next big leaguers getting preties to the game.
Speaker 2: Called the front office bingo.
Speaker 12: And once these fans recognized me, I probably won't even have to pay for my life here from Miller. I love them these fans. No, I'd break lay because it's less Philly and it tastes great good.
Speaker 11: See sir off shape Bunny, come on, Oh, I.
Speaker 1: Almost be in the front of crew like beer from Miller, everything you always wanted in a beer.
Speaker 4: And less great buddy miss.
Speaker 3: And of course in that commercial too, that's the you know, the whole punchline of it, The shtick of it is that they moved Bob Uker all the way up to the upper deck where he was up there high five in Saint Peter and they're at the Brewer's home ballpark in Milwaukee. They had Bob Buker seats way up behind home plate. I think even might have even had some obstructed view as part of the Bob Buker seats. But I did see that one cartoonist did a tribute to Bob Buker and they had his seat for him was row one, seat one, so Bob after his death definitely did get upgraded to the front row. So great stuff there from Bob on the Miller Lite commercials. And as I mentioned to the memorial that Brewer fans had set up for him up there in at Milwaukee at his statue outside their ballpark as a lot of Miller like cans there as.
Speaker 2: You know, hey have one more Bob.
Speaker 3: So anyway, that was one way we remembered him, of course too on the big screen in the movies Major League one, Major League two, Major League Back to the Miners. Didn't have that as part of this montage from Major League. But of course, you know, we know the one that we were playing all week, the just a Bit Outside Call with Rick the wild Thing Vaughn, where Vaughn was a juvenile delinquent in the off season.
Speaker 2: I mean, just all of his lines just so good.
Speaker 3: And I think I heard Matt Thomas earlier this week talking about Uker on Major League that that was all improvised, that it was basically they just told him, hey, just go. And I think the director really had no idea that he actually was a broadcaster. I think had seen him on Johnny Carson and just thought.
Speaker 2: Oh hey, he'd be great for this movie.
Speaker 3: And he brought his broadcasting chops to the the.
Speaker 2: Movies there in Major Leagues.
Speaker 3: So of course we also remember Bob Buker as Harry Doyle.
Speaker 12: Postgame show is brought to you by Right.
Speaker 2: I can't find it, the hell with it?
Speaker 12: So the Traad drafts its third train on this trip six to one to the Rangers for the Indians one round on let's say one hit.
Speaker 4: That's all. We got.
Speaker 13: One hit you can't see one.
Speaker 12: Don't worry, nobody's listening anyway. You're in the top of the Knights leading ten to seven bases, loaded to down, and Rick Vaughan has come on to try and nail it down against Philippe Aguilar, dangerous right handed batter.
Speaker 3: Here's the pitch, ah Man, so good, so good. I mean, you know, that's that's always to the question what's the best men you know baseball movie? Of course, you know, some people will go with Major Leagues, some people go with Bull Durham, some people will go.
Speaker 2: With the Sandlot.
Speaker 3: But his performance in all of the Major League franchise movies so good. As Harry Doyle, I mean, I think he almost made the movie himself, just as much as you know, Rick the wild Thing, Vaughn, Charlie Sheen, you know, Jake Taylor, Roger Dorn, Pedro Serrano, any of the characters in the movie that we came to love, Eddie Harris, Vaseline Ball, I mean, just all of them that he had in Major Leagues, so good stuff as Bob Uker, as Harry Doyle. But then finally too, the wrestling fans out there, you remember him from one of his best moments as part of I believe it was WrestleMania three there at the Pontiac Silver Dome. They're in Detroit years ago and it was his promo that was cut with.
Speaker 2: Andre the Giant.
Speaker 3: And I know it could be a little hard to understand Andre, but it's Uker's part that really makes this promo what it is.
Speaker 2: And everybody you know this.
Speaker 6: This thing is really getting kind of serious.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 12: I haven't been able to locate van of White and I was supposed to be a Hi Andrey, my good buddy, you get me.
Speaker 14: You got the Giant the only professional Westlo is still undefeated, and Rogan, I'm proud to be it because now that all the way up, that's why you're paid me for to keep you out of the tournament organ and you are and I know one thing, and that's why the people go to know too, and that's why they go to Readmumber.
Speaker 4: You are the ex champion. Ol Hell are you there?
Speaker 15: You have it?
Speaker 12: I still haven't found yeah, right, X champion.
Speaker 14: Don't worry about Fana White. Now I'll Trollian arc Tremena is over.
Speaker 12: How about getting your how about getting your foot.
Speaker 13: Off my shoulder?
Speaker 2: So good?
Speaker 3: I mean Taylor made for WrestleMania coverage was Bob Uker. And of course you know the face he's making when Andre's feet for hands are around his neck, choking on oh oh man, great stuff.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you know, I can't say it enough. It's almost like what didn't he do in life?
Speaker 3: And even though you know he was more regionally focused with you know, the Milwaukee market up there, with being on Brewers coverage for years, Bob, all throughout the seventies, eighties, and nineties he was on our TV sets. I mean, you know, even as part of Mister Belvedere and again on Johnny Carson. Just how great he was whenever Carson would bring him out as mister Baseball. So what a life well lived by Bob Uker. So just want to play some of his best hits from his career, and I know that many of us enjoyed those very much. All Right, we're gonna get back into the Texans conversation coming up next. If you want to weigh in on the phone lines, you can do so seven one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's seve one three two one two five seven nine zero.
Speaker 2: We will come back with a conversation we had earlier this week.
Speaker 3: On the A Team with Sterling Holmes from eight ten WHB there in Kansas City, as he'll give us the chiefs side of today's game and what the Texans can expect from the back to back defending Super Bowl champions as they try to upset them and move on to the AFC Championship. As we will hear from Sterling next right here on a Space City Saturday.
Speaker 1: It's Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Seven ninety and Matthews year with you on your home of the Ostros and the Rockets. As a promise, right here, we're gonna head on up to Kansas City and hear from a guest that gave us the chiefs side of today's game there in KSE. He is Sterling Holmes from eight ten WHB. He joined us just on Thursday with Adam and Adam on the A Team. So let's get to that conversation with Sterling Holmes about.
Speaker 6: Time to visit Kansas City.
Speaker 8: Sports Radio eight ten WHB, co host of The Zone mid Days is Sterling Holmes, and he's nice enough to carve out a little time for us for our listeners here today in Houston, the Chiefs and their billions of days of rest have like the cleanest injury report I think you could ever see. And it's very unlike the last meeting when we were all worried that Pat Mahomes and his one healthy leg would find his way through the football game. But in all reality, this is truly the healthiest this team has been. They've gotten guys back like Marquise Brown specifically to the offense. Sterling, how much do you think the Texans really might not know about how Pacheco and Hunt will be used, how Worthy and Brown, etc. Kelsey will be used this time around against the Texans.
Speaker 13: Yeah, fellows, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 16: I think even here in Kansas City, we're still a little wondering how it's going to play out with DeAndre Hopkins and Hollywood Brown who was getting eased back into the lineup. But you have Xavier Worthy who's really taken over that wide receiver one role. You have a healthy Patrick Mahomes. You have Kareem Hunt who got worn down as the season went on. You have Isaiah and Checko, who, while yes he did come back, was very ineffective. I think those twenty four days off will help him. And then you have someone like Chris Jones who was injured was gonna miss Week eighteen, whether they needed to win that game or not. He was injured with that calfs train. Chris Jones will be healthy. I mean, yeah, this is great news for Kansas City. I feel for you guys out there in Houston. The plethora of injuries to your wide receiving corp and now the news about Joe Mixon on I kind of feel for you folk down there in Houston.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the news on Joe Mixon is much more alarming in print on an injury report than I think it's likely to be on Saturday. I don't know that for a fact, but my belief is since he was limited yesterday and did not participate today, that's the designation that goes along with it. Fully expect him to be out there on Saturday afternoon and leading the rushing attack as he has throughout this season and certainly last week against the Chargers.
Speaker 6: If I were to ask, and knowing the answer can't.
Speaker 8: Be Chris Jones or Trent McDuffie, who's the most important defensive player or who might be the most other impactful defensive player in this game on Saturday.
Speaker 16: You would say for the Chiefs, yeah, I'll give you two names. I'll give you one obvious one and then one I think underrated player. The obvious one Nick Bolton, the Chiefs middle linebacker. He is the engine in the middle, especially with the Houston techan what they try to do, especially with the injury that wide receiver, you know they're going to try and run the rock a lot. That's at least expectations here in case. Nick Bolton is one of the better run stuff in linebackers in the NFL. So I think Nick Bolton should have a big game, you know, on Saturday. Then more underrated. I think it's gonna be church On Wharton. Turk Morton alongside Chris Jones gave him to tackle.
Speaker 4: Everyone knows, you.
Speaker 16: Know, George Carlostis and Charles and Van who has come back. But Turk Barton has had a really nice, underrated season, great year to start the year, got a little overworked Charleston men who came back, Turk Morton snapped went down, but the effectiveness of those snapcounts really skyrocketed.
Speaker 13: I got took a little bet right now.
Speaker 16: I think Turk Morton gets at least one sack, and of the Houston Texans offensive line that's down the best in the NFL by any means. Larrymy Tunsil will do his thing on the left side going against George I think Turk Morton gets a lot of one on one then he will win.
Speaker 13: If you won one to miss one.
Speaker 2: Do we want to.
Speaker 6: Reconnect, Yeah, let's give it a shot.
Speaker 8: Work all right, We're gonna say we can fix the line a little bit if you don't mind, Sterling, because we'd like to hear more of what you have to say. And I do think one of the things, well, their defensive line. That's why I brought it up every day this week I've been here. It's so much more than Chris Jones. Bolton because of the rest of the team, gets far less mentioned than he should have. Sterling Holmes back here with us, and I want to ask you something quickly and sorry about that connection issue. Did you guys, at any point this week or maybe before the game on the twenty first get conversation with Charles Amena who about his extreme disdain for the Houston Texans.
Speaker 13: No, we have not heard about his disdain the Houston Texans.
Speaker 16: I will say he's been such an integral part of the Chiefs defensive lineo ever since he come back from came back from injury, because it really pushes everyone down. He's the guy who can win one on one. But no, I did not know he had this sort of disdain for the Houston Texans.
Speaker 8: To explain it, it doesn't really have much to do with this version of it. It's much more to do with those that were here there and the management and the coaching staff that was there.
Speaker 4: Then.
Speaker 8: It's just something that I know he wasn't real excited about how his time went here, and it's probably because of what you now see on the field, a much more helpful player than I think the Texans ever let show and there were instances on both sides where it probably could have gone more smoothly. But is in a pretty good situation now, And I think he'd say the same thing for each of the three former Texans that were there in Kansas City for that twenty twenty game in the postseason that are now members of the Chiefs, Justin Reid and DeAndre Hopkins being the other two.
Speaker 16: Yeah, Justin Reid specifically has really taken on a leadership role. Don't know what he was like down there in Houston. I know when he first came to Kansas City there were some questions about his overall outlook, his impact. You know, if PFF grades, if you want to go by that, were not great.
Speaker 13: When he was a Texan.
Speaker 16: But he's come to Kansas City. He's been a real leader both on and off the field. He's a guy that gets that secondary going. Obviously very good in the run game, but I think his coverage has really improved and matured as he's been here in Kansas City. DeAndre Hopkins obviously we've seen him take over a game when he was here in Kansas City when they played against the Buccaneers. But it almost feels like they're saving d hop for the playoffs. Don't know if that has anything to do with that lingering knee injury when he came over from Tennessee or not. But DeAndre Hopkins I think is going to be unleashed in the playoffs. A lot more of him, Xavier and a Hollywood Brown on those trip set to the left, you saw it just as smattering of that as the regular season came to a conclusion. But that bunch set on the left was very effective.
Speaker 7: Sterling, you know about this having been there a while and seeing this kind of dynasty unfold with the Chiefs. You know, when you win a lot, and we went through this with the Astros in the last several years, you have an aura and so when you show up to the venue, you already kind of have that, you know, that one foot up or whatever. And I think that to me, having Joe Mixon specifically on this Texans team, given that he was on one of the teams to actually derail that monster at one point in the last several years, you know, how much do you think that can be an intangible something like that, Because anybody that's coming into Arrowhead, it doesn't matter who you are, whether you're an upstart like the Texans or you're, you know, one of the heavyweights like the Ravens or the Bills, you've got to have a certain amount of we're not going to be intimidated or you've already lost the game.
Speaker 13: Well, I think it's a.
Speaker 16: Really good point, and I've been bringing this up for a long time. Everyone wants to talk about white teams collapse in the fourth quartering ins case s it's because I think teams are so close, like we're going to beat the Chiefs, We're going to do it, and all of a sudden it goes to their fingertips.
Speaker 13: They get nervous. The Chiefs don't beat themselves very often.
Speaker 2: You saw.
Speaker 16: I know these are bad teams, but the Raiders, for example, with the snap. How many teams does that happen to? Because they get scared, they get nervous the moment gets too big.
Speaker 13: Very good call on Joe Mixon.
Speaker 16: That is the guy who will not be blown away by the Arrowhead crowd. They've been there, they've done that before. If you can get that message to c J. Strad Nico call into the rest of the guys. I do think there is something there. Arrowhead will be laft, it will be rocking, and there's a reason why it's the loudest stadium in the NFL one hundred and forty two point two decibels. Mixon is going to have to be the guy that calms Joe, mix it down and hopeing the offensive line of Houston in that instance, they don't have too many false starts. I know there's been a lot of moving pieces on that offensive line. All season long.
Speaker 8: Sounded like you were trying to speak that into existence, and I bet she'll be right at least once Sterling Holmes, My money's on LARAMIZNSOL Sports Radio eight to ten WHB in Kansas City. I'm curious what it was like there in Kansas City during this fifteen win season. I'll tell you what it was like here talking about this isn't the same team. They're so beatable, which was being said every week after they would not get beaten every single week. And remember this is the only time during this run they've had a fifteen win regular season, and they got it in sixteen games. What was the view of the people covering this year's Chiefs about this year's Chiefs kind of as it relates to what we might see on Saturday versus what they've always been.
Speaker 16: Well, you had the optimists, right, You had the optimist that says it doesn't matter how it happens as long as you win, which in the grand scheme of things, that is true.
Speaker 13: But then it also took a.
Speaker 16: Little bit of digging to see why the Chiefs played in such close games, but also why they kept winning in such close games. Yes, they had some luck I like to call it variants. I don't like using the word luck. I like to call it variant. The Chiefs had some variants go their way this year, that is for sure.
Speaker 4: But they were so.
Speaker 13: Effective on third down. They were so inexplosive.
Speaker 16: Now that might change with Hollywood Brown being back in, DeAndre Hopkins and Xavier Worthy, right, but they came into the season with a lot different game plan. They expected Hollywood the entire year. They had Rashi Rice, who was their wide receiver. One you thought you might get a little bit of Xavier Worthy, So they had.
Speaker 13: To adjust on the fly, and so.
Speaker 16: They're often poked a lot different. They had to go out and bring in Kareem Hunt, who is good for three point five yards to carry pretty much just anytime.
Speaker 13: He touches the ball.
Speaker 16: He does not break off large carries, but he gets you into a lot that third and shorts where Patrick Mahomes is the best quarterback on third down. So I think what you saw is them putting up twenty one twenty two points. They're a very well rounded team, maybe the most well rounded team in the Patrick Mahomes era. The defense is top ten, the offense is top ten. When you break down some of the underlying analytical numbers. Special teams has been solid, but a little bit of a concern with Harrison Bucker in the injury.
Speaker 13: I just think it looks different.
Speaker 16: So everyone's trying to figure out why they don't look the same as when Tyreek Hill was here, even a couple of years ago, when the offense was still moving the ball very effectively through the air.
Speaker 8: Just before we let you go, you've left you barely enough time for prediction.
Speaker 4: On the game.
Speaker 16: Oh man, I don't mean to do it to you, guys. I have a lot of respect for Houston. I have a ton of respect for that Texans defense. They're outstanding, Elzer Alshie Heer's great, Will Anderson's outstanding. Danil Hunter loved the Texans defense. But I think the Chiefs offense does enough. I think it's a twenty seven to twenty game that means the Techans cover, or at least.
Speaker 13: I'm never in Vegas right, give me that. I just think the Chiefs offense in Patrick Mahomes in.
Speaker 16: The playoffs, they will be too efficient. With all the injuries to the Houston Texans on offense, I think it's going to.
Speaker 8: Be a struggle very different than the twenty seven to nineteen game that was just played there in December, a twenty seven to twenty finals. Sterling, we actually really appreciate it. He's going to hit the extra point.
Speaker 6: Good insight and look forward to what takes place on Saturday.
Speaker 13: Hey, thanks fellas, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: There you go, Sterling Holmes again from A ten whb's on mid days up there. I know that Soren Petro, the PM Drive host up there on A ten, was on with Matt and Ross yesterday, so good stuff from him. Appreciate his time earlier this week with us on the A team. All right, coming up next. It was a conversation that I was part of as Matt Thomas was out, but Ross Villa Reale was in as part of the Matt Thomas Show. With Ross, we were both able to catch up with Dan Orlovski, former Texans quarterback. Of course, now you see him on pretty much every single ESPN program if they are talking NFL, well, the former quarterback, he is part of it. And we got hot and heavy in terms of some Texan chiefs conversation with Dano. So we will do that next right here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you until noon on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 2: Space City Saturday.
Speaker 3: Sports Talk seven ninety Space City Saturday. Is exactly what the Texans.
Speaker 2: Are hoping they can do today.
Speaker 3: They are hoping they can knock the door down. And the door is the AFC Championship Game. So if they can get past the Chiefs today, that becomes a reality. So hopefully they can do that again. Three point thirty kick from up there in Kansas City, the Texans and the Chiefs, and in that vein we continue the conversation as me and Rossville Real as part of the Matt Tomas Show with Ross a couple of days ago, able to catch up with a former Texan now you see him on ESPN. He is dan Orlovsky and we had a great conversation for you to now enjoy.
Speaker 17: Right now, please to be joined by dan Orlowsky. Mister do everything for ESPN on get up on the NFL shows, does a great job as well.
Speaker 6: Thanks for joining us, Dan.
Speaker 4: How are you.
Speaker 15: I'm doing fantastic.
Speaker 4: How about you? Guys?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 17: We're also pulling our hair out trying to figure out what's going to happen with this technisan offensive line.
Speaker 6: We'll get to that in a second.
Speaker 17: But you, as the quarterback, of course, and as somebody who played here in Houston, Ross and Dan with you here, I do have to ask you right off the bat, who is the real CJ.
Speaker 2: Stroud?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 15: I mean cjs a sensational player. He's a young man that you know, obviously took the league by storm last year, and you know all off season I was one who's pretty clear of what he did was even greater than maybe the numbers painted the picture as because he was so remarkable on third down and that masked a lot of some of the inefficiencies of the offense as a whole, and that's obviously one of the harder downs to be good at that position of the league. So it was even more impressive then again maybe the surface numbers said. And then this year it caught up to them a little bit this year.
Speaker 9: The poor performance on first down.
Speaker 15: Caught up to them this year, the lack of consistently being able to control the line of scrimmage on a load of downs, and the poor production. I remember going back to Week one and I did a quick little thing on the NFL at I was like, man, they better figure out that production because it was ugly and it's rained terror on their offense and as it impacted CJ's you know, play negatively. There's no question about it. Has he played lesser than he has had last year, Absolutely, But I think that's the direct reason why that the protection has kind of impacted him, impacted his vision, made him a little antsy at times, which is a real thing, but I don't think that's made him a lesser player now again.
Speaker 3: Dan Orlowski joined us here on the Matt Sama Show with Rosty and Matthews in for Matt. You know, Dan, A couple of the things that we've been talking about all week that seemed like it was the aha moment for CJ is one the busted play with the fumbled snap and he's got to roll out find Xavier Hutchison and also using his legs. Did you see a guy in the second half who got back to being the guy that he was last year where I mean, let's call it what it is his own words, he was a killer on the field last year.
Speaker 15: Yeah, Yeah, I mean that's kind of one of the things that he has done a little bit more, I would say this year and just take off with his legs and be a threat.
Speaker 9: You know, situationally, it's not necessarily that.
Speaker 15: You're designing quarterback runs for him, but those situational backbreaker Patrick Mahomes Joe Burrow type of runs where you know it's third and six and they take off and it's like, oh my gosh, everyone was covered, but he got a first down.
Speaker 9: So yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 15: I don't have any reservations about who CJ is or what CJ is. I think that, you know, some of the injuries and the lack.
Speaker 9: Of performances have been the significant part of.
Speaker 15: Why the playoffs falling off. But that's going to be a huge part of this game for them this weekend as well as you know, for both quarterbacks, is who's going to have.
Speaker 9: Those two or three runs and those crucial.
Speaker 15: Moments to either you know, keep a drive alive or put points on the board, or take three minutes off of o'clock longer. And so yeah, I think that's another kind of as I don't want see astrisk bullet point in this game is you know, can CJ pull those off?
Speaker 2: One of the big.
Speaker 17: Problems with the offensive line has just been allowing those free runners Dan with maybe a lack of communication, and I am worried about that going up against the Spagnola defense this weekend on the road in a loud, Arrowhead environment. How did the Texans in the offensive line prepare for that?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean it's it's obviously a huge part of the challenge.
Speaker 9: I think the number one thing that they can do it that is you've.
Speaker 15: Got to run the football and twenty one personnel is something that actually going back a couple of weeks when they did play, they were decently successful at it.
Speaker 9: And so twenty one putting a fullback on the.
Speaker 15: Field or maybe you doizn't tight end in that role, but you've got.
Speaker 9: To be able to do that.
Speaker 15: The second thing is this, Actually, I'll make this the first thing. Every single time that CJ breaks down and walks the on of scrimmage, he's got to be thinking blitz because it comes at any point from anywhere. As situations don't matter.
Speaker 9: So there has to be a constant at the forefront of his mind, where's the blitz coming from?
Speaker 15: Where's the n If they don't, it's almost like as a quarterback, you're often reacting to the blitz. This is a reacting to the no blitz situation. If you're CJ, like every play, you're expecting a blitz so it doesn't surprise you. Then again, the twenty one personnel has got to be a big run. I think the second thing is you got to try to hit some screens against them when they pressure you. You know, there's there's two methods that dealing with pressure as an offense. You want to try to survive it or you want to try and kill it. And one of the ways that you try to you know, do both of them at.
Speaker 9: The same time.
Speaker 15: As some perimeter screens where it protects you, you get the ball of your hands. There's usually more than not a bad play than that. But if you touch it at the right time, right angle, right people, you can hit on run. And so I think some of the perimeter screens or slip screens.
Speaker 9: Would be a big deal. And then I mean, one of the things that was disappointing is the plan for protection and the execution for protection.
Speaker 15: And so you know, you got to have a plan for it.
Speaker 9: You got to know exactly how.
Speaker 15: You want to protect it and communicate it. And while it's hard, you know, It's one of the challenges of the business. You know, if it's third to out, I wouldn't be surprised if you get into some no huddle and try to give yourself as much time at the line of scrimmage to communicate. And then, you know, one of the things I've always learned and I learned this from Coach Koubac, and you know, if everybody's wrong.
Speaker 2: We're going to be okay.
Speaker 9: So you don't take the perfection in these situations.
Speaker 15: You know, like to think that you're going to get the line stream, you know exactly what's going to happen, and that's not real. But as long as everybody's on the same page and it knows what or who.
Speaker 9: The problem is, you're gonna be okay more often than not.
Speaker 15: And so that's the big thing is you can't have four guys thinking one thing and one person doing another thing. That's when catastrophe happens again.
Speaker 3: Dani Orlowski join us here on the Matt Thomas Show with Ross and you mentioned the screen game. I mean, that's something that I've been screaming about all season. Dan with Joe Mixon, I mean, you see it all the time. He's running into a wall. He's running for forty fifty yards a game. You can't really get the run game going. And you hear Bobby Sloan talk about want to get the run game going. But all off season Dan, we heard about what a great pass catcher he was out of the backfield. I mean, are you kind of disappointed in Bobby Slowick for not using that part of his game more especially factoring in the struggles at times?
Speaker 15: There's no question about it. I mean, I'm a massive fan of the screen game in general. I mean, if you look at just if we're tree Top, do you look at some of the offenses that have been really good this year and certainly in years past, you would sit there and go, Kansas City Man, Okay, really good screen game. And then you'd go, well, Detroit yet really.
Speaker 9: Good screen game, and all the Minnesota Vikings a really good screen game, and the Los Angeles Rams really good screen game, and the Buffalo bill is really good screen games. So you know, I think as in totality, and you know.
Speaker 15: That that's got to be one of the foundations staple of your offenses. It's different screens that you can get to. It you're just trying to create a numbers advantage and then the space advantage. And so I think it's a different way to get Joe mix in the ball.
Speaker 9: It's a different way to you know, what of mix.
Speaker 13: And strengths is.
Speaker 15: You know, he's a tough tackle, man Like this is a tough tackle in space, and so you know, I think it's also a breather for your quarterback. You know, we're calling this player, we're running this laid off the think mush and so you know it's something that I would try and hit four or five.
Speaker 13: Times on this game.
Speaker 3: A couple more minutes with Dan Orlowski and Dan, I mean off topic football wise, I told Ross, I told the audience, I'd ask you this. You're pretty renowned for your food takes. So two part question here. Number one, what gets more of a visceral reaction analysis that maybe upsets a fan base or your food takes? And is there a food take that you were willing to die on a hill for? And I mean even you're hunched over skull and bones on that hill when it's all said and done, that you.
Speaker 2: Will not come off of it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely the fan bases.
Speaker 15: You know, I always say this every year it feels like the fans become more and more passionate and listen, when you're in my role, like and you're convicted about the things you say, it's gonna come your way. So at times I'm like, well that's a tough one.
Speaker 9: But definitely the fan bases.
Speaker 15: But the food does make people upset in an odd way.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 15: The food take that I would die on is I think mushrooms are disgusting.
Speaker 9: That's the one that I ain't blinking off. I ain't blinking off that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 9: I often say like I.
Speaker 15: Love a good meal.
Speaker 16: I do.
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 2: I love a good meal, but.
Speaker 15: I don't need a good meal every time I eat. It's not like I have to walk away from having you know, food and being like, oh my gosh, that was on a body experience.
Speaker 9: And so you know, I think that that's probably one as well.
Speaker 15: It's funny, you guys Houston. We used to live down there. We were having in a group text with some friends up here in Connecticut. We were my wife was vividly describing LTMPO to them and done, I honestly did not know that, And it was it was great having the questions fired back from them of like wait what they put brisket in case?
Speaker 2: So we're like, yup.
Speaker 15: And then they were like, wait you dip your pahetas and butter and We're like, yeah, it's just the food stuff triggered my mind.
Speaker 17: That's great, that one last one before we get you out, just uh your eyes what the Texans defense is going to have to do? And then in a prediction a prediction and then take it easy on us with the prediction here in Houston.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Again, I think can't say wins the game.
Speaker 4: I don't want to.
Speaker 15: Misrepresent it, but I do think Houston can hang. And there really question is that can they do enough offensively? You know, can they do enough? Obviously the depletion, but I think defensively, if you had to ask me, you know, build a defense that could you know, really hold its own and have success against this Chiefs offense, I say, man, you've got to have two good head rushers and you've got to be able to play man coverage well, you know. And so I think that's what gives them a good feel in this game is you know, Will and Danil were freaking unbelievable last week, and I think their heavy hands are a big deal versus these tackles. Our shy here definitely you know, was a miss, you know when you felt his impact, and then they can play man, you know.
Speaker 9: And so I actually think that their defense.
Speaker 15: Can keep them in the game. I wouldn't be surprised that this is a one score game on the fourth quarter.
Speaker 9: I just I don't know if they could.
Speaker 15: Do enough offensively versus at darn good defense.
Speaker 3: Dan Lawski with earlier this week on The Matt Thomas Show with Ross and good stuff from him, and if you missed any of him, Kevin Harlan, Sterling Holmes, any of the conversations we had this week. Again, I can't say it enough. The new and improved iHeartRadio app. It is your friend and another F word. It's free, very free for you. So download that on your device and be able to catch Sports Talk seven ninety wherever you go. All right, coming up next, give some final thoughts on today Texan's game.
Speaker 2: Of course, predictions have been a plenty from the.
Speaker 3: Guests we had this week, but also too, I talked about this a little bit the other night on the night Cap, and we'll get into a little bit of college football because Texas fans. Yes you, I'm talking to you. You can't complain anymore. Most of you finally got what you wanted, So we'll discuss that on the other side. As we close out this edition of Space City Saturday, Dan Matthews here with you for a few more minutes on the home of the app Stros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: We now return to Space City Saturday, Sports Talk seven ninety, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Dan Matthews here week for another couple of minutes and home of the app Shock again Sports Talk seven ninety. Texans hoping they can get their role on today. Melvin Brown basically just taking me back to middle school, high school right there.
Speaker 2: That's the sweet spot of music for me. So now appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Melvin doing a great job as he always does both with me, with Doug Pike and if you watch us daily on Space City Home Network with the A team three to six every single day right here as the TV side of things, Melvin our technical director for that. So Melvin is a man of many talents. We appreciate him very much, so great work from him as always. But uh, final a few minutes here if you want to squeeze in again someone three two, one, two, five, seven ninety. You just spend a couple of minutes on the Texans and then a couple of minutes on I think, you know, I'm going to talk about Arch Manning if I was talking to Texas fans, So we'll do that.
Speaker 2: But the Texans and Chiefs, I mean, you know, just for the.
Speaker 3: Texans today, look, I just I think that we know that it is going to be a tough assignment no matter what.
Speaker 2: And I know the Clay Martin.
Speaker 3: Story was a huge part of it of people trying to draw comparisons between him being almost the NFL version of Scott Foster. Like we know Scott Foster with the Rockets, it never really goes well well. Now, the same comparisons being made with Clay Martin, because the Chiefs six and oh all time, when Clay Martin officiates their games five and oh in the regular season, one and oh in the postseason. So that's a storyline that's out there. But I mean, you know, it's just really a thing with the Texans of fighting yourself at times and at times this has been a team that their aggressiveness gets the best of them, and we see it with penalties. So we see it with pre snap penalties, special teams penalties. I mean, geez, how many times we've seen Chris Boyd draw a special team's flag on the field at times this season. So those are things you got to keep to a minimum. And I mean with CJ, he's the key, you know, I talk about it when I'm talking rockets of the key to the offense.
Speaker 2: It's simple. It's number four. It's Jalen Green.
Speaker 3: If he's shooting, if he's able to knock down shots and he's able to put up points, then that frees up everybody else on the offense.
Speaker 2: The same deal goes for c J. Stroud today. It's really that simple.
Speaker 3: If he is able to get it going on the field, well, then the Texans can be able to have some good things happen for them. Joe Mixon right behind him. Doesn't sound like the ankle is going to be much of a hindrance to him. I mean, I know that he missed a couple of days of practice, but I mean he's not missing this game. That's really as simple as it can be. So we'll see if indeed he is able to give it a go and it a full efforts. I mean, you really want to get him going. You heard me talk about with Dan Orlovski in the last segment that he is, you know, a guy that can also be used in the screen game and is as somebody that maybe if you're running into some trouble against George Carloftis and Nick Bolton and Chris Jones and that you know Chiefs defensive front, that maybe you get him going in the passing game a little bit and then you know, chances to As I've mentioned before with OC's it always just annoys me to no end of Oh, we want to get our playmakers out in space, Okay, well then do it. So that's something that we're definitely hoping to see today from the Texans.
Speaker 2: I got Texans twenty four to twenty one.
Speaker 3: I think a thirty nine yard Kyami fairbearon Fueld goal to walk it off and send the Chiefs fans home sad. That's what I'm banking on today. So I like Texans in this one. Let's let's pull it off. Final minute here on the show. And you know, talked about it earlier this week on the Nightcap with Quinn Youwers declaring for the draft moving on. And I mean it's been a lot of different opinions of Quinn youewers time with the Texas Longhorns. I mean, last year he was fantastic. This year he had to make some adjustments in terms of not having the same receiver help that he had last year, and that was a difference for this Texas team. But the message to you Longhorn fans, don't complain because a lot of you were, you know, really pining hard for arch Manning to be out on the field, and now you're gonna finally get your chance.
Speaker 2: And he's going to have a.
Speaker 3: Roster pretty much overhauled last year this coming out in the year because you're gonna have a lot of players leaving for the draft, transfers coming in, signings, all of those different types of things. And the one thing that I cautioned people with quarterbacks at all time, you're going to end up being annoyed with your quarterback one time or another. I mean, God, Patriots fans even at times got annoyed with Tom Brady. So what makes you think that Arch Manning is going to be any different. One of the most thankless jobs and sports is quarterback, because if you do one minor thing wrong, then people hold it against you. And I think soon enough that's gonna be coming arches way. So you know, now you've finally got your wish to care for what you wish for Texas fans, because it might not be one hundred percent what you want. That's gonna do it for us here on Space City Saturday, I want to thank everybody who jumped aboard, and again I want to thank our guy back in the studio, Melvin Brown, doing a great job. As always a man of many talents. We appreciate him and then some also too. It is great to hear from Kevin Harlan, from Sterling Holmes, and from dan Orlowski.
Speaker 2: Again if you missed any of those, I can't harp on it enough.
Speaker 3: The new and improved iHeartRadio app it is your friend and you can go catch all of those conversations right there. Dan Matthews next week talking to you from Dykin Park from eleven to four for Astros FanFest.
Speaker 2: Look forward to that.
Speaker 3: Until then, everybody, enjoy the game, enjoy the Rockets tonight. We will talk to you on Monday morning at six am on The Shawn Salisbury Show, where Brian Alima.
Speaker 2: Other than that, have a great weekend.
Speaker 4: Everyone