Speaker 1: Welcome Friends.
Speaker 2: Podcast, Jacky, Welcome to Movie Film. It's episode three forty four. My name is Zaki is Sign. I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 1: Hey. How's it going, Zachi?
Speaker 2: Hey, hanging in there. I am very much looking forward to the conversation we're about to have.
Speaker 1: Me too, Me too. We've been waiting decades to have this conversation.
Speaker 2: It feels like, I dare say, nearly forty years. Yeah, right, but we'll get we'll talk about that in just second. We got more, we got we got more pressing stuff in in the in the front term, like like your continued journey through Widows Bay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mentioned that I am enjoying Widow's Bay this.
Speaker 2: Since since the last time we talked to now, I feel like this show has just like taken over social media?
Speaker 1: Has it?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: You kind? I feel like you got in on the front end here?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well good. I'm glad that I brought it up when I did, because I have had people reach out to me and say that they started it and they are also enjoying it. But it's this is such an interesting show, and for people who don't remember what I'm talking about, Widdows Bay is an Apple TV Plus series starring Matthew Reese, and the log line on IMDb is a skeptical mayor leads the superstitious residence of a cursed New England island. And a lot of times when you have these streaming series, they are one story that's introduced in the pilot and that's the whole thread right for the for like ten episodes, and sometimes it can feel like a little stretched out. And when I started this, they're spooky, mysterious things happening on this island, and it was one specific sort of thing, like maybe a haunted fog that was rolling into town in the pilot, and I was like, you know, I'm enjoying this, but I'm not sure I want to watch ten episodes about a haunted fog. And to my delight, every episode is a different horror trope, right, there is a thread that goes through all of them, with the mayor and all the characters. It's not an anthology series, but I just love that each episode you don't exactly know what trope they're going to play with, and when I say play, I mean exactly that, Like they there are legitimate scares and spookiness and things happening in this but it is very playful at the same time. It has this really not muted but it's not an out and out comedy, but there are just big comedic moments that stem naturally from what's happening in each show and from the characters and what the characters are like, and it just feels like this tightrope of tone that they're walking. At the beginning, I was almost nervous starting each new episode because I was like, man, they've just nailed this every episode and I'm like afraid they're going to fall off now, you know. Or even start an episode, I'm like, oh, I don't know if I'm gonna be interested in this, And then by the end I'm always like it shows. It just keeps getting better and better. And I had that experience even last night where I was like, oh, interesting, I Well, it's so hard because I don't want to spoil what these things are, because the fun is discovering what it is and how they play with that thing. But I will say there's an episode involving like a boat and having to go out a certain distance in the water with a certain person. I'll say that for anyone who knows what I'm talking about. I was like, this is so my jam, Like this is so fun and funny and scary and weird and like creepy. It's just And then I watched the most recent one, which was a little bit of a Halloween the movie Halloween sort of riff, and what made it so fun was you've got these trophy sort of things happening, of course, but it's through the lens of this really unique character on the show named Patricia played by Kato Flynn, who is just a delight, just a delight to watch every week. And I just I bust it out laughing like twice. But that's what it is. It's not a comedy. It just it lures you in and you're hoping that everything works out and you're also leaning forward but a little scared by certain sorts of things. But then they'll just hit you with these like unexpected moments that just make you, you know, belly laugh. So anyway, I just wanted to shout it out again to the people who did start watching it and are enjoying it hi, and for the people who haven't yet, I just I recommend this. I mean again, it's it's spooky. I wouldn't. It's not so far as like like some R rated horror thing. I would say it's sort of like a hard PG thirteen y sort of level of scary, And that still might not be some people's thing, But for people who think that sounds interesting and kind of fun and intriguing, I would say, definitely check it out on Apple TV Plus.
Speaker 2: Well, there we go, your check is in the mail. I feel like you're single handedly driving all the traffic.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know, I think that's probably true. I'm not going to verify.
Speaker 2: One thing I've seen a lot of is people suddenly discovering what a great actor Stephen Root is. Yeah, I mean, and I'm like, yeah, no, shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he's He's been reliable for as long as I can remember. I mean, he's even reliable. Is underselling it? I mean he he's just the secret sauce in so many things, right, that's right. Although I will say that I think the first time I ever saw him was probably Office Space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would have been for you, right. I saw him as the boss on news radio Oh okay, right, which was on at roughly the same time he was in Office Space. That alone as a testament to his you know, ability to go from from the big boss to the lowest. Yeah, a cubicle jockey, you know, yeah, my steepler, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. One of the things I will mention just because I'd kind of forgot about this. But I have a friend works over at Paramount, and so occasionally they'll do these events. They'll do flashback screenings, and this past weekend they showed Ferris Bueler's Day Off, and I mention it because I just about a month ago, I had just seen it, right, I just seen it the Regal by my house, which does flashback series. They showed Ferris Bueler's Day Off, and I was talking about it on here and how much I loved it all over again, and me and my neighbor, the person I was sitting next to I didn't even know, we were both like, man, that movie just completely holds up. What a blast all these years later still and.
Speaker 2: Then you watched it again this past week and you're like, wait a minute, this sucks. You're just going back and forth.
Speaker 1: Well, it was sort of a social thing. It was going to be a group of friends, and I thought, well, I want to be there. I want to hang out with these.
Speaker 2: Like an interactive screening people throwing spoons at the screen and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, like at the room, yeah, with the spoons and anyway, so I went, and it was before I even get into watching it again, so close. It was pretty amazing this thing they put on. As soon as you walked into their theater. In the lobby, they had this big counter basically circular counter that had all this candy on it, like snickerspars em and M's anything you could grab, and they've had that before. But what was unique was they had like signage. They had you know, Ferris Bueller's Day Off the title and quotes from it, like printed onto this counter. And I was like, wow, that's kind of amazing. And then as you walked in deeper, they had all these old tube televisions stacked into a pyramid playing Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Wow, And I was like wow. And then they had you know, popcorn and sodas and things like that. But they also had a hot dog kart and I was like, oh, cool, hot dog all right, But I walked up and they were Chicago style hot dogs, like legit and with the Vienna beef dogs and everything, and I was like what, And so I just I don't know who planned it. I mean, obviously it costs some money and.
Speaker 2: You're like, i'll have one, and then the guy who gives it to you is Matthew Broderick, Yes, exactly, and then you wake up because the things.
Speaker 1: It does sound like it does. But I was just like blown away by this mid afternoon flashback screen of affairs Buller, like how much they'd put into it. So I just for that alone, I was like, wow, cool. Anyways, but then we sit down and I'm like, Okay, I've just seen this, but you know I've seen this movie one hundred times anyway, you know, And dude, I got sucked right back in. I just I had to bring that up to say, like, this is just one of those for me, like sort of miracle movies where like you just don't tire of it, and it's just as funny. I was still laughing when he's pretending to be sick with his parents and you know, me, me, me, you know, keep making all the funny noises when they're like checking his temperature and all that. And and actually there was a woman sitting next to me, who was laughing and gasping, almost as if she had never seen it before. Wow, And that was really fun because then in a way, you're sort of experiencing it through her eyes a little bit, and it's making like, oh, yeah, that is kind of funny. Here. I haven't thought about this because I've seen it a hundred times, but yeah, but anyway, yeah, just it's I don't know, John Hughes just has that so many of his movies they are so rewatchable. Yeah, you know, Home Alone. I mean I've seen that movie countless times and I can't wait to watch it again, you know, this year later at Christmas time, and plain streams and automobiles and I just I don't know it would be I don't want to dig into it now, but like, what is that? What is the secret sauce of that? Like why are they so easily rewatchable? You know? And something I've noticed now just off the top of my head, I'm thinking planes, trains, Ferris Bueller, Home Alone, just those three. There are a lot of vignettes, right right, It's like a compelling character. It's experiencing a series of things, and maybe there's something to that, even it's like these little episodes they experience. But what he gets right is that all those episodes are very compelling.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that the secret sauce is that they are wholesome comedies that aren't afraid to have an edge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great point, and.
Speaker 2: Aren't afraid to show their heart. Right, So in other words, you're like to me, planes, trains and automobiles. Part of the reason it works is that you can have the scene where Dell is in the car talking to his who we don't realize his dead wife, mm hmm, right, Like it's not afraid to put that in there too. You're like, no, this is a comedy. People aren't gonna be laughing, you know.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know.
Speaker 2: A Home Alone gives you the old Man Marley storyline.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, matters.
Speaker 2: Ferris Bueller gives you the Cameron and his Dad story and that's important, you know.
Speaker 1: I completely agree, and funny enough, when I watched it a month ago, I think I was just watching it, like looking at it because I'd seen so many times and I was enjoying it, and I was enjoying looking at it on the big screen. Seeing Chicago. I will never not marvel at that twist and shout parade sequence, because when it ends, you have that wide shot where it just the street just goes on and on and on, and it is filled with people and life and activity, and it's just I would probably put it in one of my favorite shots of all time. It's just an amazing sort of thing, right, like where it's not filled in with volume or you know, effects or replicating people, which is fine in certain uses these days, but like, you know what I mean, it's just so alive, right, And yeah, okay, So the what I was going to say then is I was just enjoying it kind of visually and laughing at it on a surface level. This time, I really did track a lot with the emotions, more than I have in years following his sister's arc, which you know, like, oh yeah, he drives her crazy and then by the end she learns the loosen up. It's like, no, they do a good job of actually seeding why she feels this way, right, and how it's kind of you know, imposed on her a lot. And of course the Cameron thing is like the big beating heart of the movie, and I really tracked with that this whole time, and it just resonated. You know, you can sort of watch a movie you've seen a million times for the first time. I get and when you put all your attention on it and let it, you know, dive into it, put your phone away. Yeah, yeah, you know. But also I think what I thought you were going to say, which planes trains when you said in the car. There's that scene where John Candy when they go between the two trucks, and.
Speaker 2: First, well, I mean, that's obviously the most one of the one of like my top five funniest scenes in any movie ever, but you.
Speaker 1: Know what's so funny about it? And it is hilarious. But then for a split second, the two characters look like skeletons with their clothes on, right, and then John Canny looks like the devil, devil, and Steve Martin's looking at him like, what have I done? How did I get in the car with it? You know, the devil? And then in Ferris Bueller, for some reason, there's this magic in the air where every character is singing Donkashane like there's a magical realism to it. And in Home Alone there's the furnace. The furnace talks to heaven, right, you know, like I like that he's willing to go really silly like Looney Tunes, but he knows just how far to go, not too far. And then to your point, I think the real reason they ultimately stay with us and we want to keep watching them is, Yes, we enjoy all the fun, that's what gets us through the movie. But the reason we want to watch it again is to experience the feelings that he provides.
Speaker 2: See what it sounds to me like you're saying is you have got his moves all figured out and you could do something comparable to any of John Hughes's best. That's that's my takeaway from what you're saying. You're saying I can do it as good or better as John Hughes unquote Brian Holmes.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, let it be said in June twenty twenty six. But no, I immediately when you started saying that, the first thing I thought was, well, I can have a steak, and I can have you know, butter and you know pastry dough and all that stuff, but I can't make Gordon Ramsay's the beef Wellington, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, now I want to see the Brian Hall shot for shot remake the gus of Anne sant Psycho, if you will, of Ferris Bueller.
Speaker 1: That would be fascinate. That is one of those movies, excuse me where I feel like I don't I don't feel like you can remake that, you know, and I know we've said that about a lot of movies and then they've done it anyway, But like there is just that movie is such lightning in a bottle from just first of all, just Ferris. How do you cast Ferris again and not want to punch that guy in the face? You know what I mean? Like they calibrate for me. I maybe some people they are annoyed by him, but I just feel like Matthew Broderick. He is smug, but in this weird, charming way where you feel like you're you're you enjoy being with him.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's funny that you talk about. Uh, you know, how do you not want to punch Ferris in the face?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Uh? Because of course they did attempt to recast Farris Bueller. Yes, yes, which, by the way, funniest joke of all time would have been if you went through that whole experience with the with the hot dog and going through the tunnel, if you will, to the theme park ride and then it's just a marathon of Ferris Bueller the series, Right, I think that would have been goddamn hilarious. But but that show, to your point, like I happened to completely unconnected to this, Like within the last six months, I saw a handful of episodes, Oh really on on YouTube? Yeah, okay, and it's it's funny because the Ferris Bueller the series Charlie Schlatter played played Ferris and and no more punchable character have I seen, you know, and I'm saying or not actor, because I'm sure Charlie Schlader is a lovely human being. Yeah, right, right, right, but the character he was given to play was absolutely insufferable. And the fact that they hung the name Ferris Bueller on it was like this added level of insult, you know, and you I think you know this. It literally starts with him saying, oh, that movie about my life is all wrong, and then he pulls a standee of Ferris Bueller up from the movie played by Matthew Brodrick out of his closet and he's like, Matthew Broderick, come on, And then he gets a chains on cuts it in half, and I'm like, what are you guys stupid? You know, I know, I know that's like the most famous beat. But the show it's very because it premiered the same season, maybe even the same week as Parker Lewis Can't Lose on Fox, which that show was good, right, and that was clearly a Ferris.
Speaker 1: Bueller rip off totally.
Speaker 2: But but you know, the show, it it had you know, Jennifer Aniston plays plays Genie, and Richard Riley is Rooney, huh like, and you can see that, right, like you can picture that. That's like the may for TV Ferris Bueller, you know, yeah, yeah. But what I realized watching the show is that there's a reason there wasn't a whole Ferris Bueller's blank, Like, there wasn't a whole series of those yes, because we're meant to spend exactly this much time with this character, yes, yes, right, and and and we just dip in. We we go on this little journey with this character and then and then we never see him again. That's the point. And and the show, I mean, it didn't last very long, so they learned it quick. But I mean it's for TV. They kept trying to do that because they did an Uncle Buck series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've done a couple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Uncle but which might have been right around the same time the Faris Bueler Show, and that that show starts with that's a sequel to the movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, I remember, I can see it, but I don't remember as.
Speaker 2: Kevin Meaney as Buck. And you know, the parents.
Speaker 1: Die, oh geez, and so.
Speaker 2: Buck has to adopt the kids, and I'm like, what are you guys doing. It starts, oh, you know, the parents, and you know how Buck like, you know, rebuilds his relationship with Yeah, we're just dead.
Speaker 1: Now, you know. Yeah, leave it. Leave John Hughes alone. If I learned that, you know what, I'm putting my pen down. I am.
Speaker 2: So no shot for shot, remakeup Parisula from you?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, actually that would be interesting though. Yeah. No, sorry, no, no, that's it. Yeah. Uh well, I have one more thing to talk about, and uh it is that I saw the movie back Rooms, and this is kind of the sensation sweeping the nation at the moment. Did you see this coming? Because this is apparently a very well known property with teenagers.
Speaker 2: This is how I know I'm I'm rapidly aging because this came out of the clear blue sky for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, actually I did know what it was, but I had never seen it before i'd seen the picture, So okay, to try to set this up, I'll read the log line of what this movie is and then give a little history on it because it's pretty fascinating. So the loglane on IMDb is after a therapist's patient disappears into a dimension beyond reality, she must venture into the unknown to save him. Basically, yeah, it's like, basically, this guy works at a furniture store. She will tell edge of four and he's an unhappy person, and he goes into the basement and he discovers a portal in his wall that leads him into this alternate universe, which is just a never ending labyrinth of mundane like you know, neon light yellow office space, and it feels sort of like real life, but there's something just a little off about it, like the the way that the halls are angled, or you'll see things from reality chairs, tables, whatever, but they're like blended into the ground almost like you know, like there is some some sort of weird mishap where something didn't go through a portal correctly, and so only half of it is appearing. And as he wanders these halls, he hears things in the distance, so he's possibly not alone, and we don't know what that thing is.
Speaker 3: And so you get it's well, anyway, the way that I'm having fun just listening to attempt to discribe, I know, I know it's it's riveting.
Speaker 1: Sorry this bad video, but but but the way that it started was it was some picture that someone posted of a real off empty office space and it was online and then I think it was on four Chan or something like that. They posted the picture and then they started making up this mythology of what this place could be because it just looked mundane but also like kind of off putting in like a place you wouldn't necessarily even though all the lights are on, you just wouldn't necessarily want to stand there like alone. It just feels like, is there's something around that corner? Like what's something's off about this place? And so it became this internet mythology. And then this kid named Kane Parsons.
Speaker 2: He's twenty, so he started working on this as a teenager.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he made this when he was nineteen or if I'm not mistaken, he's turning twenty one shortly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when this all started, he was seventeen. Yeah, so he basically needless to say, I'm looking at my three teenagers with a lot of disappointment after this past weekend, right with the judge eyes.
Speaker 1: Judge eyes, that's what jedge reyin Hold looks at his wife with JG That's true. So he took this mythology and he basically made these YouTube videos where they look like found footage, sort of like Blair Witch Project sort of thing where someone accidentally goes through the portal. And what's brilliant about it is he made it in Blender, so it's not real like it's all computer graphics, but it looks very very good, very very real, and it looks like someone with a camcorder, like an old school vhscam quarterer, has gone through a portal and ends up in this place and is wandering these hallways, and he puts like the perfect distortion and sound design, so it really does feel like a person walking around with one of these old school cam quarters. So that's what really sells it, Like you really feel like you're in this unsettling slash mundane place. So anyway, I watched I'd never seen it before. I just seen the picture that originated it. But after I watched the movie, I went and watch the first short, and I recommend it. It's actually very impressive. I can totally see and apparently he's made a lot of them since. And I can see why A twenty four saw this kid and was like he gets this, like he this is a very particular esthetic and he has already nailed it. So I don't know, let's see bring him in. Why have someone try to imitate what he's already done, you know, and that doesn't make him like a that's a real I can't think of another movie, a major release like this has been made by someone so young. But I think it's cool that they did bring him in because this movie is just a spectacular vision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's headed towards being eight twenty four's biggest hit ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean so okay, So I again, I'm familiar with this internet mythology. I knew this movie was coming, but this is not really on my radar, right, So Chad and I were like, well, let's go check this out. It looks kind of fun, like something we'd enjoy. And we go to the theater and it is packed with kids, and in front of us when we're trying to get our ticket scanned, there are these kids like, yeah, I don't know, look like twelve or something, and they were trying to buy tickets to this, but they wouldn't sell it to them because it's rated R. And I was like, I can't remember the last time I saw that, you know what I mean that sense I remember it happening to me or something. And then when we walked up to the theater, there was a security person at the door making sure no kids snuck in, and I was like wow. And so I'm in this big theater. It's totally packed. And when it starts and it says back rooms, the whole theater rips into applause. I was like, holy cow. Like so there is like a dedicated Rabbit fan base for this that this is like they're Star Wars, you know, like they're showing up opening night to see this thing that they love. And so anyway, I think as a movie, I'm not sure how successful it is as a movie. And when I say that, it's because the characters are very stock. They're they're not very deep. They literally just feel like you know, divorced guy who keeps liquor bottle by bed, you know what I mean, Or like like they're they're they're no deeper than that. But she would tell Edgie you four and Renata reinsve they're such great actors that they do. They're really selling the experience for as weird as it is, and they're very compelling to watch. You just wish that, like on a script level, I wish it had been a little bit more textured or or deeper character wise.
Speaker 2: So what I'm hearing is you've figured out what Cane Parsons does and you can do it better.
Speaker 1: Unquote Ryan Hall absolutely not absolutely no. But but what I want to say is, and I've heard other people say this. I just listened to another podcast and they weren't too high on it for those reasons, and and and basically what I would say is I agree with you. However, as an experience I loved this. I had a blast with this movie. This this is an experience movie, you know what I mean. Like it does have themes, and it does have conclusions for the characters, and you know, we can talk about how successful you feel like that is, but the experience of this, the cinematography, the vision, it's unlike anything I've seen before. And I really feel like I saw a new version of Creepy Gotcha, and it really resonated with me. I had a lot of fun being with Edgia four kind of being creeped out but wanting to know what was around the corner, hearing something scuttle, you know, in the background, and being curious what it is, but also not wanting to see its face, you know, like it has that unsettling dream feeling, like the sort of sense and feelings that only can happen in a dream. And somehow Parsons captures that, you know, on film it's and there is a minor sort of found footage aspect to it that's maybe like a little bit of an homage to its origins. And I thought that was really successful, Like they made it look like a home video camera and there's a person going down this creepy tunnel and weird sounds are happening off screen, and I just I just enjoy that stuff. I enjoyed the paranormal movies. I enjoyed Blair Witch back in the day. But I liked it. That's not the whole movie, it's a portion of the movie. And then basically, you know, the rest of it is wandering through these halls and where all that leads, and I was totally engaged with it, had no idea where it was going, experience to kind of chill that. I just can't think of another movie that's made me chill that way. And so, you know, yeah, I as a story and with characters, I can completely understand people wishing there had been a little bit more to that. Although again the performances I thought were very very good. They're bringing their a game and it's really compelling to watch. But like, for me, this was all about the ride. This was just such a cool ride and I recommend it on that alone, honestly. And I'm very curious how this is going to continue to perform. I mean insane that this movie from this first time director who's like nineteen when he made it based on a YouTube video, opens to eighty million plus, right, Like that's bonkers, And so now I'm curious, like does it have legs? Do more people turn up for this? Does the audience continue watching it? Like does it have a steep drop. I'm very curious.
Speaker 2: I think this one will have legs, because get it, the word of mouth is going to carry it. I also am already feeling bad for Cane Parsons in terms of having to follow up on this. Oh totally. I feel like this is like a Shyamalan situation about to happen.
Speaker 1: That is a really great comp yep. I mean hopefully not, but that the possibility absolutely, And I.
Speaker 2: Mean this this seems, at least in terms of word of mouth, kind of a Blair Witch situation, which you likened it too earlier, where it's just well, I can't really talk about it. You got to just go see it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah I was.
Speaker 2: I was hoping to catch it by the time we record today, but unfortunately the scheduling did not work.
Speaker 1: So oh yeah, yeah, I've been wanting to catch obsession speaking of, but I just haven't had the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another one. Yeah, the stuff is starting to pile up. Sheep detectives. Also, yep, my wife, I'm gonna just watch the sheep Detectives. She snuck away and watched that. So so we may need to do like this may end up becoming a recurring segment where it's just stuff I haven't seen but I'm gonna have.
Speaker 4: And then right, right, right, you have a nice conversation about Yeah, one more thing I want to I want to give it credit for also is there there are things back there, and I'm certain that there were visual effects employed, and so I want to compliment the visual effects because I couldn't tell.
Speaker 1: I couldn't tell what was a visual effect. And there are also things that you see that are clearly practical and really there, and they are very unnerving, interesting, and I think the practicality of them is what really sells it. Okay, And it's one of those things where you're just like, it's not like Freddy Krueger, you know what I mean, Like it's a little weirder than that. It's more dream like than that, and somehow like to just create that and capture that and make me have like this the thing when you're trying to explain to dream of someone and you just can't quite do it, or they're just like, I know this meant something to you when you had a feeling, but I can't understand what you're talking about. Somehow Kane Parsons translated that into something literal a film, and it's I had a great time watching it.
Speaker 2: So what about if you, Brian, are wandering through the back rooms and you just see a guy dressed as a pilgrim? Yeah, is that your nightmare scenario?
Speaker 1: I'd be like that guy in mullhalland Drive when he doesn't want to see what's behind the dumpster and he's like walking up to it and then he basically like dies. A fright. That would be.
Speaker 2: For those of you who don't know, this is a deep cut to Brian's long standing pilgrim terror. There's context to that, but I think it's funnier to say you're scared of pilgrims.
Speaker 1: No I yeah, no I am. I They make me uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I love the idea that somebody's listening to this episode, this is their first episode of movie film, and they're like, he's afraid of pilgrims?
Speaker 1: What like that?
Speaker 2: You know, we just don't explain it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but you know it's funny. Sean Coyle, our friend, his kids, they know this about me, and so for my birthday a lot of times they'll make me birthday cards, like draw them and they'll draw Pilgrims in them.
Speaker 2: Very see now that's what I see you like like John Hawk and Congo, Remember like he he dies a fright when he sees the you know, Amy, yes, right, right, So that's why I you know, I like the idea of Sean's Sean's son coming up to you dressed up like a pilgrim O Brian and you're just like a and you're just dead.
Speaker 1: I love. But also too like our our references I love. I'm like, yeah, you know, Mohulan driver, the guy dies of fright and you're like, yeah, Congo or the guy drives a friend like yeah, no, no, Congo. I love that. Yeah. What have you been watching? I?
Speaker 2: I have been somewhat busy this past week. The last I think the last time we recorded. The last thing I'd seen was was Spider and Wir Yes, right. And that's been kind of fun because my kids are watching it, so I've sort of been dipping in and out watching and they're really in it, you know, And the reaction to that show has been fun in that, you know, what's working in its favor is that it's not really tied up in all the multiversal shenanigans and you're not stressing over how does this quote unquote fit. You're just like, now, it's a fun story. Nicholas Cage being like, hey, hey, Silver Marine, I don't know what you're doing here, but I'm afraid I got't to stop you.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's just a lot of that, and you're like, I'm down for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard he's doing kind of a Cagney. Is that right?
Speaker 2: He's doing a little Cagney little Lettergy Robinson. I think I said this during our last discussion. The character is obsessed with gangster pictures, so ah, there's at least a character a reason for it. I also admire the restraint of doing a a you know, kind of a Bogart esque set and not having voiceover narration, which you think that would have been the most obviously, and they shied away from that. So so so it isn't just just Nicholas Cage. You know, she wandered into my office and I've never seen anybody who look like that before. You know, they didn't do that. I admire. I admire the restraint, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's a good one.
Speaker 2: I do think you would enjoy it, so Okay, cool, recommend that anyway, As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, we have some listener letters. You have eighteen thousands all addressed. You've got me, all right, we got some. We got some Star Wars related communications. Seems appropriate because you may have forgotten, Brian, but there is a Star Wars movie in theaters right now.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, that's right.
Speaker 2: It is rapidly dropping down the charts.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, it's part of a narrative of some unprecedented box office recently, right, I mean where you have Star Wars did a hard seventy percent drop in its second weekend, and then you have that movie Obsession, which was made for under a million dollars, and each week it's been out it has made more money, which apparently the last time that happened was with et.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that is an impressive story. And on top of that, that was I think number two this last weekend, and number one was Back Rooms, nineteen year old filmmaker based on a YouTube video opens to eighty one million, So people are like, wow, this is it almost feels like back in the seventies, you know where Steven Spielberg is making his Shark movie, and George Lucas is making a space movie. And the establishment was like, who are these kids? And what is this pew pew and space stuff?
Speaker 2: Well, you know that come Monday morning, every producer had their assistant just scouring four Chan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the creepypasta stuff, right, like all that online horror.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're about to get a whole bunch of I mean, it's a coming, you know, totally all that. Here's a note we got from Roger and this is he emailed us a movie film podcast at gmail dot com. This is when regards to our Solo as Star Wars story commentary. Ah this Isaac and Bryant. I loved this commentary. I listened while doing house chores. That's I love that. I love that people people shovel the driveway while listening to us and stuff.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: I unfortunately didn't see Solo in the cinema because I was barely a Star Wars fan. Then I saw Solo on TV a year later. It is so fun. I'm not an uber Star Wars fan, but I appreciate the world now. I fell in love with Star Wars in twenty twenty. I watched them in release order in David Cornsweat's preferred release order, which is four or five, one, two, three and six, which is the.
Speaker 1: Is that machete machete order?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so basically that that way what you do is you if you watch them. Basically the idea is that if you watch them in number order, you lose the big reveal of Darth Vader being Luke's father. So if you go, if you go Star Wars Empire, you get the reveal, and then you get the backstory with the prequel trilogy, and then you come back and watch your train of the Jedi.
Speaker 1: Yep, I watched the.
Speaker 2: I watched them in quorn Swit's preferred Star Wars order last month for Grogu prep time and the sequels and the Mando show after uh man, that's a lot of Star Wars right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it'd be cute to see qrn Sweats watch order. I have no clue how good Mandow and Grogog will be, but I'll be there. Thanks for the show guys. Ps Disney, make corn switz wish come true of being an X Wing pilot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be happy to see him in Star Wars.
Speaker 2: David Kornswett is such as Star Wars Dork, which I love. We talked about it before he recorded himself playing the music of the Death Star Assault while doing the entire voiceover of the whole sequence.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He knows the music the score so well that he knew where all the dialogue landed, and he was informssive Nerdery. Yeah, it was pretty good. See.
Speaker 2: That's the type of shit that when I was younger, if I were to do that, I would make sure there was not a camera anywhere near. You know, it'd be like Star Wars Kid. Yeah, yeah, right, exactly. You can't live that shit down, you know, David Cornstar gets to play Supermans.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe I was wrong the whole time. Yeah, thank you for that, Roger, and I would love to know what you thought of Mandalorian Grogu. Yeah, definitely speaking of thoughts on Mandalorian Grogu. Here's an email we got from Matthew also a movie from podcastgbail dot com as I left a screening of the Mandalorian and Grogu, questioning the life choices that had led me the I don't feel like I'm unclear what he thought of that movie, Brian, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I got to.
Speaker 2: Thinking just how much of contemporary geek pop culture consists of prequels. Literally, everything Star Wars has done since the Rise of Skywalker is a prequel to The Force Awakens, Star Trek Strange New world That's true. Yeah, Star Trek Strange New Worlds is a prequel, and Picard was a prequel to the later seasons of Discovery. Over on HBO home of the prequel it Welcome to Darry. Both West Roast series are prequels to Game of Thrones and the Realm of Middle Earth. Both The Rings of Power and War of the Row Herem are prequels, along with the upcoming movies about the Hunt for Gollum and the flashback story about how the Hobbits actually did meet Tom Bombadil before reaching Rivendell after all. Meanwhile, both Alien Romulus and Alien Earth are prequels to Aliens, and the next Narnia reboot will start with a prequel to The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. June Part three is technically moving to the Big the moving the Big screen franchise forward, but it's based on a book with lots of decades old sequels, and the Odyssey takes place in the distant past. Starfleet Academy nominally advanced to the star Trek narrative, yet still managed to give off prequel vibes by focusing on the rebuilding of the Federation, thereby making it a spiritual prequel to at least the next generation. Also, the rebooted Harry Potter series will be one long prequel to the Cursed Child Play. Finally, the MCU stands alone by charting new ground, but even the famously tight lipped Kevin Feigey hasn't bothered to conceal that Secret Wars will feature a major continuity shakeup of some kind. So the upcoming Spider Man and Doomsday Flix also carry a certain prequelly gene. Sequah. Now, I love me some franchises and and Or felt fresh as hex, so I'm no automatic prequel hater, but this feels like a lot of retrospection. No, I don't really have much more to say about all this, but just thought it worth pointing out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's pretty fascinating seeing it all listed out like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say I think the Starfleet Academy example, I see where you're going. It feels like a little bit of a push to me. I think the mc I mean, with the MCU, that's like saying, well, every MCU thing is a prequel.
Speaker 1: To the next thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's like, well yeah. However, broadly, I think we're seeing something very interesting, which is that corporations are are averse to change. They don't want to change the window dressing of their big brands too much because that moves it too far away from the thing.
Speaker 1: That makes them money. Yeap.
Speaker 2: So I don't think it's a surprise at all. Star Wars has been sort of a unique beast thatch you've talked about before. I think they're terrified to go past Rise of Skywalker because they don't know what the hell to do.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I think why they would, or these studios with all these properties would be inclined to do prequels is you can do new stories, but there is like a ceiling that's almost like a safety net for you, like you know what how much you can change and how much you can't change, and you can work within like safe confine. But if you were to do it post stories that have already been told, you're charting something that's like the wild West, right, and it might affect things that you want to do later, and it just feels a little riskier to venture out that way, right.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you know what's interesting is when we talk about the Star Wars prequels, I mean, the biggest knock, well there are many knocks now, but I mean what the biggest knock against the Force Awakens was like, why are you guys just redoing a new hope? And that sort of tells you something where even as they moved it forward, the goal really wasn't to move it forward. It was to take it backward. So I think the fact that they are doing all these prequels, I mean, I'm look, I'm I'm not opposed to prequels, but I am i am burned out on prequels because you know, it's like I'm kind of like, well, the if it was worth telling, you would have done it already generally with rare exceptions, right. I mean, Godfather Part two has prequel elements, right, right? But remember like like remember when they were talking about doing the John McClain prequel, Yes, and it's like, why, dude, you know I was just about to bring this up there doing this the John Rambo which is coming out in June, I think, and and my thought is like, well, what what is that story? Because like, either he's just a regular soldier in Vietnam or he's a friggin psychopath in Vietnam, and I don't believe that's the case. So it's like, what what is what is the necessary element of this story?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because inevitably it's like how do we how do we allude to the thing that people know? Yeah, you know, And and you know, the example I've used before is Hannibal Rising, which is the Hannibal Elector prequel, and it's him as a kid, and and I'm like, well, I don't I don't want to I don't want to see why Hannibal Lecter became the way he did, you know, right, And and then you know, even even Red Dragon, which is very much a prequel, uh, tries to incorporate as much of the hey, you know, this is connected to that other thing, Like I don't like that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: There's another Yeah, it's talking about the hunt for Gollum. And that's another one where like you're sort of like, what what is interesting about this story?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we all we already know where it ends, right, Yeah, exactly, you know.
Speaker 2: And and I think since the last time we discussed it, they have cast Jamie Dornan as Aragorn, and that is good casting, I will say. I think, yeah, I think he right, like I can. I can absolutely see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: So I remember you and I were like, man, whoever the poor bastard is. I'm like, well, you know what, it could have been worse? I think he is. I think he would do well in that role. And I think you would do something different enough that you wouldn't you wouldn't be too fixated on the fact that it's not Vigo Mortenson, you know. But yeah, Hey, Hollywood is built on recycling familiarity, so that I think that's the reason we got so many prequels. Yeah, and they will never stop.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's funny. We were talking about this a couple episodes ago. I don't remember what about specifically, but we were just being like a little cynical about Hollywood and them trying to please everybody and then pleasing nobody and making these very safe blockbusters. And I'm thinking two things right now. After when I was editing that episode, and I heard us saying it again, I did think, you know, yes, And there have been an awful lot of interesting movies recently. I just recently, I mean this year alone, the drama was really interesting in Sinners and One, Battle and Weapons and Project Hail Mary. You know is all doing pretty well. Yeah, And I talked about a movie called Crime one to one that was really good that came out in theaters this year, and Send Help earlier this year, so it's not like we're only getting recycled story blockbusters sorts of things. I've been kind of impressed when I really think about how many interesting things have come out theatrically, even though maybe they don't perform as much as we would like, but they have been given a shot at least, and people have discovered them at some point at whether in theaters or streaming. And then the other thing I think is, well, if some of those blockbusters keep the lights on, you know what I mean, it's then if people want to see them enjoy them, great. But I am happy that there have been options, more options than I think I've been giving credit lately.
Speaker 2: So stay with me on that's how about a Fairis Bueller prequel have you heard about this? Well, I was just joking. Is this a real thing?
Speaker 1: I actually don't remember if this is top secret or not. No, No, this was this was announced. Oh okay, I was just I was I was one hundred percent joking. Just to be clear, that was there was a script. It was in development, and it was about the two guys who take the car.
Speaker 2: So that's not even a prequel. That's just like a side side squol.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but they basically went out. I guess I'm not probab should talk about this, but anyway, that's basically that's yeah, yes, ZACKI they thought of that already. Okay, Now, I mean we're you know, and I say that because like your cynical idea, it's like that's how cynical it is. It's like, yeah, they they mind it.
Speaker 2: They at least considered it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although I think if you're going to do it, that's like not, that's pretty clever the two guys.
Speaker 2: That's almost like as far as I'd be willing to go right right at least it's something different what I want. And by when I say what I want, I A mean what I don't want is like faris goes it's his first day of school. He's like the new kid and everybody's picking on him or whatever. And he meets camera, Cameron is like kind of the cool kid. And then by by the end of the story, the tables are turned and.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right, or he like does his first confident thing and realize there's power and confidence and you know, then he.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, well it's like Bart, you know, when he goes to school for the first time and he's like, but man, and right, you know, yeah, Cameron's like, the world needs.
Speaker 1: A clown or whatever.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly knock on wood. So that doesn't happen, uh, but but yes, I think it just so happens. We are speaking at a moment when they're is a lot of new energy in interesting new ideas, and so as we talk about often hopefully it means yeah, sure, you know, we get our you know, our sequels and our franchises, which were ultimately fine with on a case by case, but do the other stuff too, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which, by the way, I'm thinking, just because I mentioned the drama and now Robert Pattinson's on my mind, did you see the trailer for that To Catch a Predator? Dude's coming, sign me up. I know what is the deal, but I feel the same way, dude.
Speaker 2: So it's called Primetime and it's it's Robert Pattinson as Chris Hansen and he has that inflection down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: And it's it's looking at the making of To Catch a Predator, which you may remember, you know, they came out with a documentary about it just in the in the last year.
Speaker 1: I watched it on your recommendation.
Speaker 2: Oh you did. Okay, it's good documentary, right, it's very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, it's called Predators, and I suspect that this film is going to traverse much of the same ground.
Speaker 1: Kind of interrogating the whole enterprise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sort of the the impact of this, you know, this show, which is really gross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: You know, by putting these pretty disgusting people on display, it sort of cloaks itself in righteousness, and so you kind of have to take a step backward and be like, well.
Speaker 1: This is all gross.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, right, And again I suspect that's the angle the film is going to take, and so I'm very much interested in the documentary is term for those of you listening, it's called Predators, not to be confused with Predator three, also called Predators. Yeah, very different thematic focus.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but I knew this movie was coming, and I thought it was going to be like an analog to Catch a Predator. But then when you hear Patson like, why don't you take a seat, you know, like doing the voices. Oh they're really doing one NBC. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the documentary actually interviews Chris Hansen, and I found that probably the most fascinating part of it.
Speaker 1: M that was.
Speaker 2: Interesting, right because because he sort of has to reckon with his role in this, right, So I mean either he you know, it's like two options, either disabout be like well we you know, we went a little too far, or be like no, we did a lot of good.
Speaker 1: Because that's his legacy.
Speaker 2: Now, that's his legacy. And he's still doing it, by the way, now he's just doing it on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a web series. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting stuff anyway, Yeah, I'm looking forward to that. I think that's in the fall.
Speaker 1: Yes, moving on, Hey, Brian, we.
Speaker 2: Got some headlines.
Speaker 1: What a scoop?
Speaker 2: Well here's a big one. Marshall Lucas has passed away. Yeah yeah, Marsin Lucas ex wife of George Lucas, but perhaps just as importantly, she was the editor of the original Star Wars and Return of the Jedi Taxi Driver and yeah, above and beyond the Lucas of it all. Yeah, she has been credited with you know, you know, it's sort of like initially, you know, following George Lucas's divorce, I think he tried to move away from crediting her very much, right, Yeah, And so what you saw was a bounce back where fans were crediting her with having saved the film. And I feel like the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I totally agree with that, as tends to be the case. But yes, t ch Ex eleven thirty eight American Graffiti, Alice doesn't live here anymore. Taxi Driver in New York, New York. Incredible editor, incredible instincts, And what you realize by the diversity of her filmography is that there is a specific sensitivity that's required to be an editor. Where you have to you have to go where the movie is attempting to take you, and and sometimes that means grappling with it a little bit, you know. She described and interviews the conversation she had with with George, not as a wife, but as an editor about the things that she felt strongly should be cut out versus things she felt strongly should be left in. And and you know, that whole dialogue that goes into film with construction is so fascinating, right mm hm. And I think I think, I mean, certainly she has a very integral role in Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely. I mean an example, I think the thing was everyone knew it wasn't quite locking in the way that it should and I think even you know, George Lucas was aware of that, and so he had everybody put their heads together and he got, you know, surrounded himself with smart people, including Marcia Lucas, and and they came up with ideas like I don't think originally there was a ticking clock at the end of a New Hope, you know, the countdown to blowing up the rebel bass, and that was something that was like put together in post you know, and just finding ways to ratchet things up. And like she's responsible for a lot of those things that make us grip our seats at the end of that movie. You know, those a lot of her contributions. So, I mean, definitely she played a major part in helping to shape that movie for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only you know, I think there's that sense of like she you know, she saved the movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, no, no, no, no, yeah, And I feel like there is.
Speaker 2: It's interesting to look at different sort of factions of Star Wars fandom, where you've got orthodox Star Wars fans, you have reformed Star Wars fans, and so there is the there's like the anti Lucas Star Wars fans, which seems like an insane thing to say, but yet we know that is true. Yeah, We're like, well, if it wasn't for his ex wife, the movie wouldn't have been what it is. And it's like, well, even she would say, like all the pieces were with Lucas, you know, I mean it started with him. There wouldn't be a movie if it wasn't for him. You know.
Speaker 1: That's why I agree with you that it's something in the middle. Yeah, yes, it's it's that's one of the smartest things you can do in a collaboration is to surround yourself with smart people and have no ego and just listen to the best idea.
Speaker 2: Right that's exactly right. And you know, I don't know if we talked about it on the podcast, but but you know, she had been interviewed recently.
Speaker 1: Do you remember this? Yeah, it was a it's like a series, right, are you talking about that TV series? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But like the I feel like the raw footage was released of the interview.
Speaker 1: Oh I did not see that. I believe I can't remember the show. It was like on Vice see see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess we should have. You should have done like a bare minimum of icons unearthed. Yes, is a serio. Yeah, so that's the series. And so they they released like the raw footage it's like three hours plus. You can find it on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And the guy who was interviewing her is a freaking idiot.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Like he he was not. It was so it was so clear that he was a not very good at it and be trying to get her to say certain things.
Speaker 1: Mmmm. And I'm astounded.
Speaker 2: By the fact that, I mean this, this session lasted for three hours whatever, you know, in fits and starts whatever. But I'm just like, you know, when you're interviewing somebody, you kinda you have to you have to let them go. Where they're gonna go and then you go there, and it felt it felt mean spirited is the wrong word, but it felt dismissive of this woman's of the entirety of her career.
Speaker 1: Really, to me, it did, huh, well, why why would you even have her there?
Speaker 2: An interviewer to like it was, I don't know if well, I don't think it was about taking her down. I think it was sort of diminishing by omission everything else she's done, you know, because it just it it felt like an attempt to create some kind of an adversarial hook against George Lucas. Ah, I see, I see, and and I mean she look. I mean their marriage, you know, did not end amicably, and obviously he has in the decades since, you know, he hasn't been gone out of his way to incorporate her, which I mean, that's his right, and it just it feels icky, like I don't want to get into all that, right, and so it's weird, like here's a woman in the in the twilight years of her life and she's having to sort of to dig through all this and her own hurt feelings about not being a knowledge and I don't know, it just it felt gross to me. That's that's just, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's tough, because I think it's nice that she had an opportunity to tell her story, right, you know, and share her experience. And yeah, my memory is that she didn't try to like claim some sort of larger credit for anything. No, she wanted to tell her story like I was there this, you know, right.
Speaker 2: But she doesn't talk about, you know, feeling like she's been shut out of the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, sure, And you.
Speaker 2: Know there's the there's the like, oh, well, do you watch the new Star Wars stuff? She's like, well, no, not really, Well why don't you watch it? You know kind of thing like wow, she's entitled to not, you know, like yeah, yeah, and you know, you can you get the sense from her like well, I mean I've done I did other stuff too. But all of this is to say, certainly an essential part of that movie that the world fell in love with back then, right right, And as we hit the fiftieth anniversary of its release next year, what you realize is how so many of the essential people are involved have have moved on, you know, who were not going to get their tellings right, Gary Kurtz, and you know obviously all of the actors who've passed on, and you know, there is something that saddens me about that. But then you're like, well, it's a fifty year old movie, right right, I mean that's the equivalent of Wizard of Oz when we were kids or something. You know.
Speaker 1: Isn't fascinating, but it's one of those things that's just never gone away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a rare case, very rare. Yeah, yeah, you know it that reminds me of a little bit.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, well, it's just that one point about Wizard of Oz. Just given what we were just talking about prequels and stuff, it is fascinating to me that Oz has had so many prequels and offshoots and whatnot, but they have never done a straight remake of Wizard of Oz. Yeah, right, And this is we've talked about this, I think, and it's like, what is it about that movie that's like everybody it's like hands off and.
Speaker 1: We understand, don't touch it.
Speaker 2: Weird, right, Yeah, yeah, I don't know, I find that interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, I was going to say, was you know, having Marcia Lucas be older now and kind of wanting an opportunity to at least, you know, tell her story, share her stories. That reminds me of that Paul Rubin's documentary. Ah yeah, recently pee Wee as himself and you very much. I mean, it's it's not like you get the sense. I mean he basically outright says it. For most of his career. You know, people have loved pee Wee Herman, but when they saw you know, the movie Peem's Big Adventure, which everybody loves, written by Paul Rubins, nobody knows who that is. And he's like, no, that's me, Like I worked really hard on that, and you don't even know that I did that, you know. And so it's like he wanted to not in an egotistical way, but he wanted to get a little credit, you know, like let people know his story and what went into being this character, because that was like such a weird thing in the eighties, right, whenever Pee Wee was on a talk show, it wasn't like, here's Paul Rubins talking about Pee Wee Herman. He always appeared as pee Wee Herman in the movie credits for Pee's Big Adventure. Pee Wee Herman as himself. Right, And so all these years later, I think Paul Rubens was looking back and we now know that he was ill, and I think he kind of wanted to have it on record, like, my name is Paul Rubens, this was my creation. I worked really hard on it, and I'm glad you liked it. And that's what that documentary felt like. And he even passes away while they're making the documentary. I mean, that's how close to the end he was. And so you just get the sense that that was really important to him, just to have the record straight.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That's in that.
Speaker 2: Something, right, like the the the the battle, the internal battle of feeling pride that your creation, that your character so beloved, coupled with the frustration of wanting people to know you're more than just that one character. Yeah, yeah, you know, it's it's it's tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know.
Speaker 2: One thing I did want to mention, and this is only tangentially connected to things we talk about. I don't know if you've been following the news out of CBS over the last couple of days, headlines, you know, it's it's one of those moments where where you know you're living through the legacy sequel of The Insider, right, right, it's a weird thing to have happening. So, you know, for those of you don't know, CBS News has been overhaul over the last year because of various corporate agendas, let's say, and they brought in an executive producer named or not editor in chief named Barry Wise, who overhauled CBS News, and they brought in somebody new and that show is languishing in the ratings. And then sixty Minutes, which has never been languishing in the ratings, always been a big hit. They've in the last week they basically just decapitated the whole production staff, the executive producers and whatnot, and they've gotten rid of several of the correspondents, and they brought in a new EP who has no broadcast TV experience, and Scott Pelly, who's like a long time CBS guy. He used to anchor the nightly news like a couple of years ago. He's been at sixty Minutes for good twenty plus years at this point. So he gets up there and he's like, you know, you you have no business running this show. And you know, Barry Wise, she was brought into murder sixty minutes and that's what she's doing, right, And I'm just picturing Christopher Plumber as Mike Wallace reading the Riot Act to the corporate people, you know. And it's just weird because we are, in fact talking about sixty minutes still and it's like, well, if nothing else, you'd think the people involved would be like, well, I don't want to be the bad guy in the hypothetical Insider sequel if nothing else right.
Speaker 1: Well, you would think, or at least that's how people seem to used to think.
Speaker 2: It's it's odd, but yeah, like I said, history doesn't repeat, but it rhymes. And so we are sort of living through this moment right now. And this is something this has been a hobby horse of mind for a long time. Look, journalism is important and if it goes away, we'll all suffer the impact of it. And so this is this is something seismic that's happening right now because sixty minutes. There's no excuse, right the show continues to be a powerhouse. So it is that you can't even claim, oh, we're just trying to fix it because it's broken. No, no, you're breaking it right so that you can claim what you're doing is fixing it. Uh, and that's very scary because to me that makes me say, well, what does a year from now look like at sixty minutes? And by extension, all these other all these other news sources that are that are trusted you know, by and large, you know, new news and Brian, you may remember, this news did not used to be partisan, right, right, used to just be you know, it's like, this is the news, this is what's happening, you know, and and we're swiftly losing that. We're seeing this shift where you have people who have been cut loose from from legacy media, you know, making their little purchase on YouTube and whatnot. Right, So you've got you know, you know, Don Lemon and uh, you know, Jim Acosta, whoever, like all these people, right And and I'm like that's fine, good, right, if you're able to keep working.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: But the problem is it levels the playing field in a way that's not necessarily helpful if you're trying to put out facts. Does that make sense? Yeah, yeah, right, because because these big news organizations, by virtue of the fact that they have these established institutional legacy that that allowed the ability to say no, this is true, and they had a megaphone that was likely to reach a greater distance. And when you take that away and you say, well, no, I'm just going to join the pool with all these people who've set up shop on YouTube, Well, how do you stand out? How does an average person know the difference between X talking head versus why talking head in terms of agendas and whatnot? Right, It's like it's like, you know, and I use this example in my classes.
Speaker 1: I'm like.
Speaker 2: You and I we know the difference between Time magazine and some random like like there's Time magazine. Oh, we know that's a real magazine, Newsweek, that's a real magazine. News Well, that's not a thing, right. But if I tell somebody News Time, who doesn't know any better, those like oh okay, guess it's a magazine, that's where we're at now, right, because people buy and large don't know these differences, don't know these distinctions, right. You know, if you're just watching stuff on TikTok, then how do you differentiate between who's credible and who's not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, losing these things are sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I feel like periodically on this show we're doing sort of like death wash for for traditional journalism, and and that's you know, sad saddens me certainly as as somebody who works in journalism and loves it and knows how important it is. You know, if it goes away, we'll all we'll all be impacted. Yeah, definitely. So that's like a TVD. We're gonna keep checking in on that one. I have a feeling we'll put a pin in that one. We will absolutely put a pin. But we've got something more important discuss at this very moment.
Speaker 1: And now we're pleased to bring our feature.
Speaker 2: And we are back. And you know who else is back? Brian, who's that Zechy? Why it's Adam, Prince of Eternia.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's been a while.
Speaker 2: It has indeed, he's He's shown up every once in a while, but nobody else has paid attention this show.
Speaker 1: You have though, you've you've always uh checked in with the Masters of the Universe. Universe.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm among the few, the proud. Yes, Masters of the Universe is in theaters as we are recording this, and it's probably gonna be out of theaters by the time you're listening to this.
Speaker 1: I'm just guessing. You know, it's funny. I feel like, for a while, just because of our schedules, we've been recording our you know, conversations after release weekend, so we kind of have an idea of how the world has received the thing we're talking about. Yeah, but this is like right as it's about to open, so we don't know exactly how this is going to perform. I mean, I have my fears, but it's kind of it's kind of interesting. I actually haven't even read a lot of reviews about this, so I just kind of have my feelings.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm I'm looking at I'm looking at Deadline. Here it says Manchester Universe is best with guys over twenty five franchise had it sayday in the eighties and over.
Speaker 1: Forty Let's see.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's looking at twenty million dollars abroad and between twenty five and thirty five domestically for its opening weekend, which would be catastrophic for a movie with a around two hundred and eighty two hundred million dollar budget. Yeah, not not ideal.
Speaker 1: And for a movie that I fear may not have legs.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be an interesting one. Yeah, I'm I'm very cure. I suspect you're right, because even if word of mouth is good, I mean, there's just a lot of you know, there's a lot of competition, there's.
Speaker 1: A lot of things going on. Yeah, and it seems like the young's out there are watching all these you know, horror movies, right, the obsession and back rooms and all that, and it's you know what I mean, like, that's that's the audience you need to be showing up for this.
Speaker 2: Well that that's that's really the key thing. Yeah. So so ultimately, as I have said often on this show, hey, that movie an't coming out of my pocket. Ain't going into my pocket. Sure, sure, all I got to say is whether I think it's good or not, So we can have that conversation. But yes, just as a he Man fan from from the time I was a little Wei one, I would like it to do well, just to just to show that there's still juice left in this But you know.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I mean without any spoilers, I mean, the things that it sets up, I'm like, I want to.
Speaker 2: See that that is true. Yeah, yeah, specific yeah right, we'll talk about that. Yeah, So we have not talked about our thoughts on the film, although you read my review.
Speaker 1: I did. I couldn't help myself.
Speaker 2: You have me at a disadvantage. But I suspect and correct me if I'm wrong that we landed somewhere in the same vicinity as each other. Yeah, I think so, well, well, I'll just say this, I mean before we even get into it, Like, I'm watching it again about an hour and fifteen minutes from now. Okay, So that's how much I liked.
Speaker 1: I hope I get to catch it again. You know, I really enjoyed this movie a lot. I will say this, though I wasn't sure about it. In the first half. It starts off kind of doing that Marvel yuck yuck humor, you know what I mean, where it's like, if we even like hint that we're taking any of this seriously, we're gonna lose everybody. So we've got to undercut everything we say. Yeah, And I was like, look, I get that, and you're it's probably the right instinct. But I thought it was dialed a little high at the beginning, and I was a little worried, not gonna lie, but I was. I was enjoying it. I was enjoying seeing Adam on Earth. Well, I enjoyed the set up at the beginning. I enjoyed Adam on Earth. I enjoyed the hero's journey of it. Frankly, you know, with with he Man, I thought that was all sturdy and fun for me. The second half is where this movie really locked in interesting, and I was like, I love this. Like this it turned into the he Man cartoon, Like it was like unabashedly the he Man cartoon. It like more and more and more even as it went along that by the time it ended, I was in like smiling so big that like I didn't even care about the things that I wasn't so sure about, And it made me want to rewatch it again because I thought, now that I kind of get what it is as a whole, I wonder if I might even be more generous right with the whole thing on a second viewing. But I walked out it with a huge smile on my face. I don't I don't think this is going to be for everybody, honestly, like, but I just loved that it was so proudly and unabashedly a he Man movie.
Speaker 2: So I agree with you, it's it's not going to be for everybody, but that you know that that sentiment, you know, that can apply widely to to all types of films. I think the key thing though, is, at least for me, and feel free to disagree. The question I had is if somebody's just coming in completely cold, is there are there enough hooks to bring them on that journey? And I think this movie accomplishes that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Like I said, at the beginning, I wasn't sure. Yeah. I was actually thinking about my parents. I was like, did they enjoy this because they knew I was seeing it that night and they were like, I'll tell us how it is, And I wasn't sure. This was my experience, And then by the end I was like, I think most people will walk out of this with a big smile on their face. Right.
Speaker 2: So that's that's where I feel like word of mouth is really going to be be key, because I think people who who decide to check it out, I they'll they'll at least enjoy it if they have an inclination for this type of thing, you know. I think that for me, the the way it evokes the cartoon like you were talking about partly like this is like soir Travis Knight, right, who who you know, he started with with Leaka and he did you know, cool in the Two Strings of Animation. But he did Bumblebee. That was his first live action movie, and Bumblebee it took like, you know, forty five seconds into that movie to be like, Oh, this guy knows what he's doing.
Speaker 1: It's funny you say that because I forgot that he did that movie. I like that movie, and my family watched it together at Christmas and we all enjoyed it so above and beyond just being.
Speaker 2: A good fantasy film, very heavily Spielberg influenced, right, yeah, yeah, but he locked in on the iconography of transformers in a way that the Michael Bay films never did, right because from Michael Bay didn't have that affinity for transformers. It wasn't his thing. But for Travis Knight, it was right. And so when I heard he was directing this, I was like, well, they got the right guy, obviously, and so it was gratifying to see that initial confidence born out he got it. You know, I also think, I mean it's true, right because because you know, I watched the old filmation cartoons fairly often used with my kids, you know, and you know, he mans as a character. I mean, he's kind of square, right, There's not a ton of growth you can have that character go through. Although there's a few episodes where they actually have him experience something meaningful. But you know, that was kind of my thing, like how do you make he Man interesting? You know, we talked, we just watched the nineteen eighty seven movie, and we're like, he Man is like the least interesting character in this he Man movie, right right, I think bye bye. By centering the film on this notion of what does it mean to be a man, and that's sort of Adam's journey, I think it gives us somewhere to start and somewhere to end. And that's always you know, you hear me say this all the time. I'm like, what's what's the emotional journey that we're going on? Then I'll go with you on all the rasmntas. And I feel like that I was gratified by that same. Yeah, you know, I found all that stuff worked. Like I think, I think Adam gets a great journey. I think Man at Arms has a terrific character journey.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, they share a moment later in the movie that I was really touched by and laughed at and that was really fun.
Speaker 2: I think Camila Mendez as Tila, I think I think she gets she gets like, you know, uh, substantial stuff to do right above being just like warrior girl. And I'll say, I don't know if this is like controversial, I thought Jared Letto was great eskeletor you know. I feel like, however, I will say before you even say if it's no place, please, I will say that I think his characterization was good. However, it could have been like literally anybody there is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's acknowledge that. I look forward to watching it again because I feel like he felt a little just flat at the beginning.
Speaker 2: To me, he was like a mix of of Franklingella and filmation and they just like merged him together and you got this guy.
Speaker 1: Well. I feel like maybe I'm wrong, and maybe it's just because that was his introduction. But as the movie went along, he became more and more funny and interesting. Sure. Sure, And at the beginning, yeah, it wasn't like a distinctive voice. It was just some guy doing like a sort of British affectation kind of thing and rolling his rs right, And I was like, okay, like I wasn't thinking much of it. But as the movie went along, then he got a little quirkier and his interactions with Evil Linn and you know, the way he would react to certain things when they didn't go his way. Then I started to really like the character more, like he kind of grew on me over the course of the movie.
Speaker 2: I agree with that. I know I would agree with that. I think in that sense I'm thinking about just overall my experience with the character. But yeah, I mean, I think what you're saying is fair. I think, and I noted this in my review. I mean, they way mixed him down his voice.
Speaker 1: I was so glad you actually pointed that out in your review because there were a couple of lines that I didn't catch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it Yeah, it was like just let him do whatever he was doing without having it was like you know Orson Wells in the Transformers movie, where they they just you know, they post produced it so much, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it almost maybe that's part of what it is that I'm feeling but not quite being able to put into words, like they sort of stripped it of like just a bit more even personality, right, Like he was saying funny things, and it was funny hearing him say those things his way. But I feel like just giving him a little bit more nuance would have made him feel even more interesting. But I feel like it got that way more as the movie went along, and then he started saying funnier things, and.
Speaker 2: See what what what I liked was the the utter lack of nuance for this character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or even I like him being broad. No, don't get me wrong, Yeah, I like him being broad, but even just to the I mean just to the voice, to the performance. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sorry, But but right away when people heard Jared Letto had been cast, it was like the the ritual rending of garments and stuff, right, and that this is my thing with Jared Letto. I'm I'm I'm, I would say overall, in general, I'm a net neutral on most Jared Letto work, right, Yeah, Like we talked about tron areas, like I thought he was. I didn't think he was bad. I didn't think he brought anything extra either. He was a net neutral. I feel like in this one there was a little personality he brought in where I have to acknowledge, Well, I don't think he was bad. He certainly you can't if they're failings to the movie. I don't think you can be like, oh, well, Jared Letto, you know, kills everything he touches. I don't think that's the case. No. But but when you hear it's Jared Leedley, you're like, well, maybe they're gonna show like before he became skeletors.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's that was my thought.
Speaker 2: And no, they don't do that.
Speaker 1: No, was he on set? Like is he actually is that his body?
Speaker 2: Like that's what Alison Brees said, he showed up, he rubbed blood on his face or whatever stupid goddamn Jared leto thing that he inevitably does.
Speaker 1: Dead rats and boxes and yeah, you know rap gifts.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, so, yes, that was him. Although it's it's a remarkable motion capture creation.
Speaker 1: I see, I see, I see, I see.
Speaker 2: That's the thing, is I you know, one thing I've seen a lot of is like, this movie seems very embarrassed by itself and and I can't see that. I can see that interpretation. But to me, I'm like, I don't think you can look at the characters in this movie and say it feels embarrassed by itself. I was gonna say I couldn't disagree more right, Like, like for me, I suppose like there's a there's a moment which I found pretty fun, to be honest. I don't think this is a spoiler, but like, you know, the plot hinges on this idea that Adam was whisked away from attorney as a child and he comes back, right, and now he's reintroduced all these people and he's like, you man, you're you're a ram man and you're Fisto. And they're like, that's not our name, guy, you know. And I thought that was hilarious.
Speaker 1: I thought it was pretty brilliant, to be honest, right, because that's his ten or even eight or whatever he was, that's his eight year old memory of these people. Oh, the guy the iron fist So I called you Fisto exactly. He's got these childish names.
Speaker 2: Because you look at the names of the toys, right, they're like, well that that is kind of a silly name, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so I suppose you can say, oh, this is the movie's just embarrassed of itself. And I'm like, well you can do that, or you can be very triumphally. I am Fisto. And I feel like that's worse.
Speaker 1: I know, I agree, and they do do the thing. Yeah, we're like, well that's that's you know, that's a silly sort of name. But like, I don't know, there's the version of that where you feel like the movie is embarrassed of itself, Like we talk about that in the superhero movies, where they always have to dismiss their costumes or their names or something. This felt different to me. I agree with that, And these things are ten times sillier then yellow and blue costumes, these names, you know, ram Man and yeah, yes, exactly. So I thought that was a pretty clever idea.
Speaker 2: I thought it was.
Speaker 1: I thought that worked.
Speaker 2: And I think and I noted this in my review too, I think the movie very smartly just ignores the secret identity of it all. Sure, all right, because this is the thing where you're like, you look at Superman, You're like, how come nobody recognizes when he puts on his glasses. It's like, okay, well he man, hold my beers that oh Adam takes off his shirt and gets a tan and nobody recognizes him, you know, right right, And I think it's like I remember going into this being like there is no good way to like, you just can't do the secret identity. Yeah, so I think that was a smart way to go. But but I think we haven't talked at all about Nicholas Galaxy as Adam and he Man. A couple things. First of all, I mean, the guy put on some muscle for this role, right, like.
Speaker 1: You see good he looks like an action figure.
Speaker 2: He he does. But what's interesting is that as Adam, he's able to play him as kind of dumpy. Yeah yeah right, and it's just he slouches and I and you know, I was thinking of like Chris Reeve as Clark Kent, you know, where he just he his physicality is just different as Adam. And then when you see him become he Man, I mean his his whole posture everything changes, and uh, the the way he looks as he Man, You're like, well that is he Man?
Speaker 1: You know, oh totally. I mean I got chills honestly when he the.
Speaker 2: First time he becomes he Man, I was like, man, this is like the movie you know, forty plus years ago I wanted to see, you know.
Speaker 1: Like literally, I mean this is That's why I say when people are saying it feels like it's embarrassed by itself. We'll get into spoilers in a bit, but I mean where this movie winds up in everything that it does and shows us like this is the cartoon. Yeah, you know, like in the best possible way. This is like what yeah, seven year old Brian wanted to see when he was seven. Yeah, that's right in my theater. By the way, was like eating it up, really laughing at everything, applauding it. I have the power. So what was yours like it? Well? It was fun.
Speaker 2: I mean you know there's a big ground of applause when it ended.
Speaker 1: Mmm.
Speaker 2: So they were definitely feeling that. I think that you know that there's there's a lot of like in the front end, you know, looking at at how he's he's just fundamentally unhappy in his job, and you know he's working hr whatever he's doing, right, Yeah, And I found all that funny. But I will say, if there's a critique I have, I almost wonder if it would have been worth showing him being really good at what he does, yeah, like resolving differences and stuff like this is like he's very like, yes, he wants to get home, but he's also like this is something he is good at.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with that, because basically they try to turn corporate office speak into sort of a joke, that's right. And so when he does office speak, you know, to these mythical heroic characters, it feels silly, right, But I agree with you. I kind of wish we had seen that. It's like, no, he actually has Yes, he's very distracted by you know, trying to find the sword while he's on Earth, but yeah, that's his strength. He was never like a warrior type, right, but he is good with people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because because to me, you know, the film starts with sort of this this idea, Oh, he's this kid and his dad, the king is like, oh he he you know, he's like wrong, son died kind of thing, you know, a little bit like oh he's not a man, you know basically right, Yeah, yeah, and I would have I mean, the movie does gesture towards him and sort of like, well, what does it mean to be a man?
Speaker 1: What does masculinity mean? Right?
Speaker 2: And I applaud what it tries to do because because it's not like, no, being masculine means being macho and muscular, and no, I mean I think he man has a sensitivity he had in the show. In the old show, he had that too, right, Yeah, you know. I mean I was just watching an episode the other day, you know, and it's like, oh, you know, Merman is going after Tela or whatever, and then Merman is in danger and he Man saves him, and and Tila was like, why'd you save him? You know, and He's like, because because every life is worth saving and that stuff. You know. I mean obviously I just sort of took it in as a kid, but as as a grown up, I appreciate that a lot, that that that message is always important. Yeah, and so you know, he Man was always you know, sensitive in that way. You know, he wasn't just a barbarian with an axe and a sword. So this isn't like, oh, woke he Man.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So I like that they leaned into that. I think I just would have liked I would have liked them to square the circle more on that, you know, because we we kind of like, you know, well we'll talk about this in spoilers, but you know, it feels like there's unresolved issues that he has that I don't think fully get addressed. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, well do we do we want to get into it spoiler.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing I'll say before before you can get into your thing. Not nearly enough battle Cat. It's very disappointing.
Speaker 1: I yes, there's a moment where he actually says, I guess I'll get in the armor next time or something like that, and I was like, ah, don't do that. And so then later when we do see him in the armor, because I had the you know, the battle Cat with that red armor and everything, and like just seeing him on screen, I was like wow, Like I didn't realize I was going to have those feelings watching this movie, but it was pretty exciting. It was brief, but exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: No, well, I guess we could have said this during non spoilers. But the score is super fun.
Speaker 2: Like, dude, great score Brian may on guitar. Yeah, it's very like flash Gordony, Oh yeah, big time.
Speaker 1: You know. I mean, well literally Queen plays that's right, you know, during the movie. But when we see some of the first action happening and it's like rock music, kind of like eighties rock music and drums and guitars, I was like, yes, this is correct, Like this is this is what this is. Like, I don't want to hear some sort of Lord of the Rings self serious score. This is fun, you know what I mean, Like we're having fun. And that's why what I was saying earlier, I do feel like this movie embraced its fun, you know, aspects, and that the planet is colorful. And then by the end, they're wearing literally their costumes from the cartoon, right, and Orco shows up, you know what I mean, and Orco talks to the audience and reiterates the lesson of the movie. Like I mean, I was so delighted by all of that. Yeah, And you know, I have always talked about how I like fourth wall breaks when they're doing the meme and they're all laughing, like leaning back and cackling, laughing together and cringers, like what the heck is going on? And he like looks at the camera. I died. I died laughing. So I like that it embraced its silliness. Yeah, you know, but like you said, there was a real uh you know, arc to it, and themes and and good characters and so it's I just felt like it was a great package. I liked that it didn't feel like it had to be well, you know, it's got to be a little bit more Lord of the Rings in the cartoon because people won't take it seriously. Otherwise it's like no, they just let it be what it actually is. And like you said, I hope people catch on to it and enjoy that. But if not, we do have a really pretty great he Man movie.
Speaker 2: That that was my thought. I was like, would I like a sequel? Absolutely, but you know, we got this one and it's pretty pretty good, you know. I honestly this seems like another John Carter Rocketeer, you know, Dick Tracy situation.
Speaker 1: All movies I love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and like, these are movies that will be watched. You know, I would add like The Phantom to that list.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Sure, It's just you know that movie is thirty years old.
Speaker 1: Dungeons and Dragons.
Speaker 2: Dungeons and Dragons, there's another one. Yeah, this very this, you know what. My brother when I was driving home, he's like, what, like, what did you think of it? I said, Hey, I liked it, I said.
Speaker 1: I said.
Speaker 2: It's I said, it's like Flash Gordon meets Thor, Ragnarok meets I said, Flash Gordon meets Dungeons and Dragons meets Thor Ragnarok if star Lord was Thor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah right, you know.
Speaker 2: And and my brother it is funny because I had lunch at the yesterday. He's like, yeah, I totally got it, like I did all the math. As you were talking, I was like, yeah, I want to see it, you know. Yeah, And it's tricky, you know. I again, I just I don't know that. What I said in my review is making this movie in nineteen in twenty twenty six is like making a major Matt Mason movie in the nineteen eighties. And for those of you who are like, what what's a Matt Mason? That was a Mattel toy line in the sixties, which you know, it was long gone by the time we grew up.
Speaker 1: Like back then, my dad might be like, oh, I remember that, that's exactly. But I wasn't gonna go drag my parents to the theater to go watch Matt Mason movie.
Speaker 2: Now, I will say I took my two older ones there nineteen and seventeen. They both liked it, like unabashedly, they liked.
Speaker 1: Oh good good.
Speaker 2: They're like that was good, you know, And they weren't just trying to trying to, you know, make their old man feel feel better about his life choices. Yeah, you know so, I think that to your point, like it tonally, it had a bit of a balancing act to do, and I think it managed to stay on balance, which is no easy feat because I mean, you're talking about fundamentally a universe where you have to balance the fantasy elements with the sci fi eye elements, and and it's all it's all meant to sell toys anyway, But how do you give it heart? You know, right, I think they do that.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I liked how I mean, I guess this is just inherent to the story itself, but just how more bonkers it got as it went along. I mean, obviously things change once they're on Eternia and you've got spaceships and which I enjoyed all that stuff. But I liked where Skeletor goes into he man's mind and he is then in the restaurant Adam.
Speaker 2: I really liked that sequence.
Speaker 1: And dude, when he was in the office and he was wearing that button up, short sleeved shirts and he had a tie that had bones on it. That's right, I think I might even said out loud, it has bones on it. That's funny. That's so funny. Yeah, yeah, I think maybe that's even it now that I'm thinking about it. Why I say that I locked in on the second half. Maybe I didn't know what it was doing it.
Speaker 2: First, That's right, that's a good observation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I might watch it differently the second time, even though, like I said, when it ended, I was like, big smile on my face. This was a lot of fun. But yeah, I like, yeah, that Adam too, like the fact that they let him be kind of dopey. I was watching him on Earth not just be this kind of handsome guy with big biceps who's just trying to make his way. But he's a little awkward in the way that you know, the girl and she's all that's awkward just because she's wearing glasses.
Speaker 2: That's the funny, because the movie starts with him on a blind date, yes, and he just sort of you know, the whole intro voiceover, back narration is just him telling this girl. And it's funny because you're like, look, Nicholas Gallat seeing certainly this movie isn't objectively godlike human being. You know, and so like that's the bye where this girl wouldn't just like sort of nod politely because he's so handsome, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, right, yeah, but he's he's embarrassing himself, that's right. And I was a little surprised, and I liked it because it really endeared me to him and just how he's like, no, I remember this, this happened to me, and this is important and I'm going to get back there someday. And it made me really want him to get back. Yeah, yep, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that the whole, the whole, you know, the idea of you have a destiny. You've been told you're the one who can you know, the sword will bring you back like every and then and then nope, and for fifteen years you're just told no, none of that is true. You know. It's a little like John Connor and Terminator three.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, yeah, yeah, right, you know it makes me wish to sorry, I don't mean to cut you off, no, but no, not at all. One of my my not red flags but warning flags at the beginning was his roommate. Oh sure, yeah, because his roommate is just like the whole, you know, supposed to be like the audience surrogate, to just be sarcastic against everything that's being presented by this movie.
Speaker 2: Right, He's kind of Taiko white tt in Green Lantern.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, which a lot of you know, a little tika goes a long way, right, We've established that well, and you know, it starts with him like watching the notebook and crying and then trying to hide it. And I was like, dude, that joke's like twenty years old, you know, although I recognized later on that that maybe has something to do with masculinity and its and stuff. But instead of him just being some sort of kind of like, well that just happened. Yeah, yeah, like some tired joke machine, I actually wish. I'm like, what is their relationship? Why does he believe Adam? Right?
Speaker 2: Nobody else does, but he actually does? Yeah, And I was like, is he.
Speaker 1: Just He's like, look, I know Adam says these things and he really believes them, and I kind of feel bad for him. He's not a bad guy, like I would have liked if that relationship had felt a little bit more real.
Speaker 2: Well, So, I think, just just to add on to what you're saying, I think this is what's missing. And it's not like you're you're necessarily feel the absence, but that's certainly what I thought of. I'm like, well, he landed on earth as like an eight year old. Now he's in his mid twenties, so like, what where was he mm hmm?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Who raised him?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Other people he considers his parents, you know what I mean? I feel like that's a missing piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I wouldn't. It's not like they have to go down no, you know, way down that path, but instead of sort of the the jokiness and like, you know, the his boss who I like, sheer a Mada yeah from SNL. She she's kind of like a cartoon character, yes, the way she's behaving. And I was like, I don't mind what she represents and the part that she's playing in this story, but I don't love just how hard they're going into this. And I almost wish they had treated with humor. Keep the humor. That's fine, some humor, but yeah, I kind of want to to understand a little bit better really what Adam's deal was. Like you're saying, like, what has his life been like so far? Is he good at his job, and maybe that's why in the first half I was a little worried that it was just going to be sarcasm the whole time, And then when it got to the fantasy part, it just became more earnest and the humor was more organic from everything that was happening and from character and stuff, And maybe that's what I was feeling, the two sides of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I will say, I mean, it's a solid hour plus before Adam becomes he man. I was excited once he became he man, but I certainly wasn't like, you know, when are we going to get to the fireworks factor?
Speaker 1: It was I was locked in, Yeah, totally were there are other other moments you want to well, I do. I alluded to it earlier, but when you know, Man at Arms is really hard on young Adam, Yeah, you know, because Adam isn't tough enough and he's never really going to be a great warrior. And then later when Adam talks to Duncan, Man at Arm's name Duncan, and he's just like, you know, it's okay sometimes to talk about your feelings, and they're having that conversation, and then Duncan actually lets it out and talks about his feelings. He's like, hey, you know, if you ever want to talk about feelings again, we can do that. It's like, and then they start like kind of joking, and then they start like play slapping each other. Do you remember that? Like ah you ah, they're slapping each other, and then Tila comes up and is like, what are you doing? I loved that stuff. That stuff really really funny. Charmed me well.
Speaker 2: And just to add to that, and I alluded to it earlier, I mean I think they gave Duncan a nice journey, you know. Yeah, yeah, he starts as a captain of the Royal Guard and then you know, he fails and he has to come back from that.
Speaker 1: That gives him.
Speaker 2: A in addition to his own journey, I think it gives him something meaningful to play with. Tila, come on, Mendez, who you know? I mean, I just know her as Veronica from Riverdale.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, I really liked her in this. She was great.
Speaker 2: Alison Brie. We haven't talked about.
Speaker 1: Her, yes, yes, who? I thought she was so great and I wish there had been more. Actually, yeah, she just brings so much as a performer to begin with. She's such a great actress. Yeah, and she made Evil like really interesting to watch, just the way that she seems sort of turned on by Skeletor, but she's also continually tortured by Skeletor, And like, I just found all that really fun and interesting, and I wouldn't have minded more from her.
Speaker 2: Well, I texted this too. I just love that, both in this movie and the old movie Evil. NS go to movies that as soon as it even starts looking like Skeletor is gonna get his ass kicked, Evil ends like all right, let's go yeah, right right, there's no honor among thieves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she's terrific.
Speaker 2: I love the I love the platinum hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, that was cool.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm just thinking of Elson Brie with the platinum hair. Sorry, excuse me.
Speaker 1: That's one of my uh earlier memories. I remember when they're making Community and I worked on the Paramount lot. We were crossing paths, and I was like, holy crap, it's that was a bre like a total crush on her and a community and and so I was like, all right, I don't want to be like weird. I'm sure everybody always looks at her and you know, yeah, it does. But I so I was kind of like trying to play it cool. But then at the last minute I looked up and we like locked eyes, and she gave me the warmest smile. Oh, like total what's the character's name on community, Annie? Annie? Just a total Annie smile. And I remember it just I melted, totally melted.
Speaker 2: You melted, just like moss Man in this movie. Moss Man a little nerved, I remember, because we see like the the our heroes are kind of in there little rebellion stronghold. I'm like, hey, Mossman, and then like ten minutes later, he's just a pile of goo.
Speaker 1: Right in the first one, right where they killed the interesting villain, that's right, Saurrod.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that they were. I was. I was sort of impressed with like the range of characters that they did bring in. I was disappointed we didn't get like Merman, who I feel like is one of the essential ones and to the others, but but like we got enough of the the the icons is probably the wrong word, but you know, the the the memorable characters from the toy line and the cartoon.
Speaker 1: Well, and I like that they kept their toy looking looks, their colors. They're you know, like moss Man. Yeah, he was just like a guy covered in moss for some reason.
Speaker 2: You know, that's how it works. The only thing that would have made it better is if moss Man used the exact same digital model as beast Man. Yes, because the toy, for those of you who don't know the toy of moss Man is, it's exactly beast Man, but he's flocked right. And those Mattel people, they didn't think we'd know. They didn't think we'd know.
Speaker 1: We knew, we knew.
Speaker 2: We knew stink Or was just Merman but painted like a skunk. We knew Faker was just he Man painted blue wearing Skeletor's harness.
Speaker 1: We're not stupid. Mattel still made our parents buy him for us.
Speaker 2: But that that is accurate. Yes, So one thing I did want to mention was was King rand Or played by James Purefoy, King Randor dies Brian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the king is dead yep.
Speaker 2: So so I mean that's obviously this kind of a big deal in he Man lore right. I think that was the only way to go in terms of the arc in this film. Yeah, but it when the moment when he dies and he's like, he I forget what he says, right, He's like, I haven't said it or something right like, And I wanted to pay off that moment because I thought that would be like the end of the movie, would would tie that up. We didn't get that. Yeah, I feel like we needed one more scene with Adam and his dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that although the I love the way they played it, and you know, you kind of think like, oh, did Skeletor just just zip. No, no, the camera pulls back. Skeletor stand right. He's watching the whole thing patiently, just patiently waiting, and then clocks he Man right on the head. I don't know, Skeletor. At one point he's like, I'm not complicate, I'm evil.
Speaker 1: I like that, Yeah, because he Man's trying to reason with him.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm just evil. He's like, nobody's gonna have sympathy for me.
Speaker 1: I'm the evil guy. Yeah. Yeah, like I like this guy.
Speaker 2: He's good. I said this about Franklin Jell's Gunter. You give the man a puppy, he will kill that puppy. That's the skeletory. You know, and then of course how can we not mention to off lone Gren.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I was wondering if he would be in here somewhere, and he doesn't just get like he's across the room in winks or something like. It's a whole scene. Well.
Speaker 2: I love that he's like, hey, I'm supposed to be that you're in my spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right right, that's very funny.
Speaker 2: At the gym, and then he's he gives him his what's funny is he gives him some advice, which is kind of like at the moment, doesn't make any sense, but it ends up, you know, actually helping he in in that moment when he is to rally his troops, you know, right or Adam, and then he says, good journey.
Speaker 1: Good journey, even does the hand hand thing. Yeah. I like that.
Speaker 2: They you know they I would have liked frank lingel A to show up, honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh sure. Yeah. Maybe he's the guy who's like out of my way in the gym, bumps tof lungrinlazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. Other other things that jumped.
Speaker 1: Out I thought skelted, Like I said, I thought he got funnier and funnier and I was laughing at all. They did a good job of And he just has a skull for a face, right, like I mean, it's not like Kenny Mote, but somehow it's still emoated. Yeah, I thought that was pretty pretty fun. I like the two red dots in the you know, the eye holes.
Speaker 2: I thought that was that that evokes the old the old toys. You know, we're kind of same thing as little his eyes were red. I there's a scene where he is sleeping. M oh, he's just under He's under a sheet like a corpse, right because he's you know, and and you know, I thought that was clever. But I also like that at the foot of his bed, his boots are just sitting there and just for some reason that made me chuckle, like, takes off his boots, puts them right next to his bed, and he just and then he puts the sheet over his head. I don't know, I just yeah, yeah, just like us exactly, you know, super villains, they're just like us. There's a lot of fun East drags, Like I'm looking forward to watching the YouTube videos that I'm sure are coming. Going through all of them. Yeah, there's plenty. I'm not going to about going through all of them. But but what it showed me is that clearly the folks making this thing had had a lot of affinity for this, for this franchise, and it showed Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I feel like if someone off the street were to walk in and watch this, I feel like if they allow themselves to go with it, they will be charmed. And I feel like fans are gonna love this. That's mine. Absolutely, you will. You You're you know, the biggest.
Speaker 2: I'd like to think that I speak for all he Man fans. Yeah, I am their voice and on their behalf.
Speaker 1: Yes, welove it great well, and we get all the moderns Oh sorry, goh, just well, just.
Speaker 2: To just to put a pin on that, you mentioned Dungeon Dragons. I think if you're looking for the most apt tonal analog, it's Dungeons and Dragons, the Chris Pine one from a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, totally, totally exactly that. Yeah, but you know, and I was gonna say, but you even get like the memes. You know, the four non Blonde song is in the movie, and I love.
Speaker 2: That we get like a reference to Highlander in the beginning. Oh yeah, that's right, which was amusing. And then and then we get Princes of the Universe later in the movie. Oh yeah, that's right, the Queen song. There's great needle drops actually throughout this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know yeah. And I just thought the score was fun. I'm glad they like went for it and made it like some big rock opera sounding things. I just felt like it fit.
Speaker 2: Now you have not seen Flash Gordon. If I'm not mistaken, No, you got you got a movie waiting for you. Yeah, yeah, i'd be curious. Well, this is like at this point, longtime listeners are like, oh, you're gonna do a commentary because we've been We've been promising one forever we will do a commentary one day. But Pine's got watched the movie first, I know.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: So they got that win where you can send your hate mail to him, not me, get him. He's the one him.
Speaker 1: H dude orco showing up. I loved you.
Speaker 2: Know what's funny. So so before the movie started, I turned to my second kid and I'm like, he's like, is there a post credit scene? I was like, yeah, I think there's one. And I was like, my prediction is we're going to see either orco or Shira? Yep, and why didn't you know? We got both?
Speaker 1: We got both? And she actually started to turn her head and I was like, wait, did they cast her?
Speaker 2: I was wondering about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't think so. I guess she's just she's just vague enough that they could, you know, fill that in with someone later. They should.
Speaker 2: They should get Ariana Grande, wasn't she? She played t is Shira in the There was like that SNL sketch. Have you seen that one?
Speaker 1: Oh? Is that the one with Chris Pratt and Chris.
Speaker 2: Pratt is he Man and turn kill Him is Lionel? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like action figure that came to life. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's a Kyle Mooney. He wishes his toys would come to life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: But we shall see. We'll see in the he Man sequel that's never coming.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I know this is such a buffer. I'm well, I guess you read the projections, but it ain't looking good. Yeah. Yeah, but I want these people to feel proud of what they did because they didn't compromise, you know what I mean, And like they made I in my opinion, I mean, we have our our thoughts about things that maybe could have been polished up a bit or whatever or thought out a little bit more. But like, as a whole, I think, what more could you ask for from a he Man movie? Like they did it. I think they should. They should be proud of it.
Speaker 2: They should be proud. And this is a movie that I know, I personally, I have no doubt I will I will be watching it in years ahead, and I think I think kids who watch it will it'll be something special for them. Yeah, and there we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really happy. Is that nice that that's that we actually enjoyed.
Speaker 2: It, you know for sure that but also the fact that we have spent the life of this podcast being like, yeah, so they're talking about a he Man movie again. I know I'll believe that when that happens. And now it's happened, and and we no longer have purpose, Brian.
Speaker 1: We're just gonna fade away.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna walk into the nearest body of water, just disappear.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Or like remember when Cartman his hand is possessed. I think it's like by j Lo or whatever. And then when when it's finally the spirit is leaving his hand. He just goes, Will I dream, that's us, that's us. Will we dream?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if we will dream, but we will be discussing a disclosure day in our next episode.
Speaker 1: Man, I am cautiously really really excited.
Speaker 2: I agree with that very much, looking forward to that. But you'll have to tune in in a week for that one. For the time being, if you do watch Masters of the Universe on our recommendation, please let us know and let us know what you think. And if you haven't watched it, why the hell not. Yeah, if you care about us, you'll watch this movie. If you love us, you'll subscribe to our Patreon and then after that, with whatever money you have left, you'll you'll go watch Masters of the Universe. Hey, if you want to emails, you can emails the Movie Film Podcast at gmail dot com. You can I say like on our Facebook paid Facebook dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple podcast, leave review, leave a star rating, every a little bit hopes. If you're listening to this show on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe, leave a comment, because we do read those on the show. We also have a Patreon, Brian, I just alluded to that earlier.
Speaker 1: Yes we do. If you head over to patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done in every episode moving forward, absolutely free. In addition to that, you also find bonus conversations we drop about twice a month, just trailer talk and just headlines we've seen and things we want to talk about entertainment related that just didn't fit into the show. Our freefeed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. So no ads are interruptions butting into the middle of the conversation. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 2: And hey, if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zaki's corner. That's the Akis Corner. You can also find my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle, including my review of Masters of the Universe, also Spider Noir from last week. You can also read my reviews at the Rap, including my thoughts on Jack Ryan Ghost War, which I talked about also in our last episode, all Right you, Brian, what do you got going on?
Speaker 1: You can find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: There we go on behalf of my partner Brian holl My name is Zaki Hasan. This has been Movie Film three forty four. We'll catch you next time. Thanks everybody, Welcome friends.
Speaker 1: Movie Down Podcast podcast, Jakie the Toms Dot
Speaker 4: It's on the way.