Speaker 1: Big Food and Beyond with Cliff and Bubo.
Speaker 2: These guys, are you fav It's so like say subscribe and raid it live, stary and.
Speaker 3: Greatest con esh today listening watching limb always keep it's watching. And now you're hosts Cliff Berrickman and James Bubo Fay.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Bobo, How you doing? Man doing? Okay? We're talking about Teddy Roosevelt today because it's that spooky time of year and so we thought, well, you know what, one of the scariest stories in all bigfoot is. One of the classics is one is the Bauman incident, which was told by Theodore Roosevelt, now Teddy Roosevelt, of course, former presidents and all that jazz. He's long gone, et cetera. I think his birthplace actually is a national park out there in New York. And they're actually men of the North America bigba Center in my dad kind of cool, at least the guy who one of the guys who runs it is. So we have some connections to the Theodore Roosevelt thing, and the Bigfoot connection is a big one in bigfoot land. Theodore Roosevelt had a book published I think it was an eighteen ninety three, if I remember right, it might be a year or two. Often eighteen ninety three he published a book called The Wilderness Hunter, and it's a lengthy book about his adventures and all that sort of stuff, because he's a rather prominent outdoorsman back in the day, you know, So he wrote this book. It's many hundreds of pages long, but there's a section of it at the very end that he basically describes not his own, but someone else's very frightening sasquatch encounter. Now sasquatch, that word didn't exist. The word bigfoot then, it certainly didn't exist. That came much later, but certainly sasquatches themselves did exist. They're perfectly normal animals. They've always been around here. And so basically Theodore Roosevelt ran into some dude named Bowman who told him a story. So we thought we'd do today in case you've never heard it. This story is written in like I said, eighteen ninety two, eighteen ninety three was published then, so it is well in public domain at this point. There's no knowledge of this being in any copyright or anything like that. So we thought we'd take this opportunity to read you the story do read aloud today and then with our comments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Avan Sanderson put that in the epic book Balminle Stoeman Legend comes to Life back in nineteen sixty one. That's when that got introduced into the world of the Bigfoot people. So it's been a legendary story, like one of the classics of bigfoot literature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and of course Teddy Roosevelt having his name associated with it is it a certain level of credence and importance. And so we thought it would be fun episode today to read you that excerpt from Teddy Roosevelt's Wilderness Hunter book where the Bauman story is contained, and we'll just kind of riff and comment on it because a lot of what he wrote about has later come to light as perfectly and normalstasquatch behavior. This story resonates as strongly today as it does back then, but perhaps in a different way. Back then he described it as like a goblin or hobgoblin story, I think is what he said, like just a ghosty sort of scary story told by some old grizzled woodsman. But now when we look at it through the lens of eight behavior and Sasquatch stuff in particular, it's like, oh yeah, yeah, they ran into a sasquatch. It's perfectly clear. So yeah, we thought that we would do that today for our listeners in celebration of Halloween and Teddy Roosevelts and Bowman and everything spooky that goes in Bigfoot, because a lot of people do enjoy the Bigfoot subject just because it's kind of spooky. So you ready, bow should we jump in hit it?
Speaker 4: Maestro?
Speaker 2: All right, here we go. This is directly from Teddy Roosevelt's Wilderness Hunter book, and this is the Bowman story. It was told to me by a grizzled, weather beaten old mountain hunter named Bauman, who was born and had passed all of his life on the frontier. He must have believed what he said, for he could hardly repress a shudder at certain points of the tales. When the event occurred, Bauman was still a young man and was trapping with a partner among the mountains dividing the forks of the Salmon from the head of the Wisdom River. Not having had much luck, he and his partner determined to go up into a particularly wild and lonely pass through which ran a small stream said to contain many beaver. The pass had an evil reputation because the year before a solitary hunter who had wandered into it, was there slain seemingly by a wild beast, the half eaten remains being afterwards found by some mining prospectors who had passed his camp only the night before. The Memory of this event, however, weighed very lightly with the two trappers, who were as adventurous and hardy as others of their kind. They then struck out on foot through the vast, gloomy forest, and in about four hours reached a little open glade, where they concluded to camp, as signs of game were plenty. There was still an hour or two of daylight left, and after building a brush lean to and throwing down and opening their packs, they started upstream. At dusk they again reached camp. They were surprised to find that during their absence, something apparently a bear, had visited camp and had rummaged about among their things, scattering the contents of their packs and in sheer wantonness, destroying their lean to. The Footprints of the beast were quite plain, but at first they paid no particular heed to them, busying themselves with rebuilding the lean to, laying out their beds and stores, and lighting the fire. While Bauman was making ready supper, it being already dark, his companion began to examine the tracks more closely, and soon took a brand from the fire to follow them up where the intruder had walked along a game trail after leaving the camp. Coming back to the fire, he stood by it a minute or two out into the darkness, and suddenly remarked Bauman that bear has been walking on two legs. Bauman laughed at this, but his partner insisted that he was right, and upon again examining the tracks with the torch, they certainly did seem to be made by but two paws or feet. However, it was too dark to make sure. After discussing whether the footprints could possibly be those of a human being, and coming to the conclusion that they could not be, the two men rolled up their blankets and went to sleep under the lean to. At midnight, Bauman was awakened by some noise and sat up in his blankets. As he did so, his nostrils were struck by a strong wild beast odor, and he caught the loom of a great body in the darkness at the mouth of the lean to. Grasping his rifle, he fired at the vague, threatening shadow, but must have missed, for immediately afterward he heard the smashing of the underwood as the thing, whatever it was, rushed off into the impenetrable blackness of the forest. And the night after this the two men slept but little, sitting up by the rekindled fire, but they heard nothing more. In the morning, they started out to look at a few traps that they had set the previous evening and put out new ones. By an unspoken agreement. They kept together all day and returned to camp towards evening. On nearing it, they saw hardly to their astonishment that the lean to had been again torn down. The visitor of the preceding day had returned, and in wanton malice had tossed about their campkit and bedding and destroyed the shanty. The ground was marked up by its tracks, and on leaving the camp it had gone along the soft earth by the brook, where the footprints were as plain as if on snow, and after a careful scrutiny of the trail, it certainly did seem as if whatever the thing was, it had walked off on but two legs. The men, thoroughly uneasy, gathered a great heap of dead logs and kept up a roaring fire throughout the night, one or the other sitting on guard most of the time. About midnight, the thing came down through the forest opposite across the brook and stayed there on the hillside for nearly an hour. They could hear the branches crackle as it moved about, and several times it uttered a harsh, grating, long drawn moan, a particularly sinister sound, yet it did not venture near the fire. Well, sound like a sasquash. I don't know what does man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm imagining the Ohio. How when I hear him say that?
Speaker 2: Well, they specifically said moan, harsh grating, long drawn moan. That to me says a big old Ohio howl or something to that effect. Anyway, I mean, how many stories have you heard of people getting freaked out around the fire and having to listen to these things yell at them and stuff. It's like, yeah, in the morning, the two trappers, after discussing the strange events of the last thirty six hours, decided that they would shoulder their packs and leave the valley that afternoon. All the morning they kept together, picking up trap after trap, each one empty. On first leaving camp, they had the disagreeable sensation of being followed in the dense spruce thickets. They occasionally heard a branch snap after they had passed, and now and then there were slight rustling noises among the small pines to one side of them. Again, very very typical Sasquatch behavior, following these things around. You know, these people came into the Sasquatch's territory. The Sasquatch is clearly just keeping an eye on them, following them about.
Speaker 1: And right in their traps. Wmember, We talked to that one kid when we were down in the south. His trap blink kept fitting rated like they would pull all the animals out. Then he finally found the big footprints there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he saw the thing while he's doing a great footprint tracks, by the way, And also the didn't that happened at that place where ken Walker heard from that trapper. Dude, that's the same thing does happening there.
Speaker 4: We hear it. We've heard it like dozens of times. Yeah, at least I have.
Speaker 2: Sure At noon they were back within a couple of miles of camp in the high, bright sunlight. Their fears seemed absurd to the two armed men, accustomed as they were through long years of lonely wandering in the wilderness to face every kind of danger from man, brute or element. There were still three beaver traps to collect from a little pond in a wide ravine nearby. Bauman volunteered to gather these and bring him in, while his companion went ahead to camp and made ready the packs. On reaching the pond, Bauman found three beavers in the traps, one of which had been pulled loose and carried into a beaver house. He took several hours in securing and preparing the beaver, and when he started homeward, he marked with some uneasiness how low the sun was getting. At last he came to the edge of a little glade where the camp lay, and he shouted as he approached it, but got no answer. The campfire had gone out, though the thin blue smoke was still curling upwards. Near it lay the packs wrapped and arranged. At first, Bauman could see nobody, nor did he receive an answer to his call. Stepping forward, He again shouted, but as he did so, his eye fell on the body of his friend, stretched beside the trunk of a great fallen spruce. Rushing toward it, the horrified trapper found that the body was still warm, but that the neck was broken, while there were four great fang marks in the throat. Well, that doesn't jive very well at the Sasquad.
Speaker 4: That's the one thing that throws me off on the whole story.
Speaker 2: We'll get back to that in a minute after we're done here. The footprints of the unknown beast creature, printed deep in the soft soil, told the whole story. The unfortunate man, having finished his packing, had sat down on the spruce log, with his face to the fire and his back to the dense woods, to wait for his companion. It had not eaten the body, but apparently had romped in gambold round it in uncouth, ferocious glee, occasionally rolling over it and over it, and had then fled back into the soundless depths of the forests. Bauman, utterly unnerved and believing that the creature with which he had the deal was some something either half human or half devil, with some great goblin beast abandoned everything but his rifle and struck off at speed down the pass, not halting until he reached the beaver meadows, where the hobbled ponies were still grazing. Mounting, he rode onward through the night until far beyond the reach of pursuit.
Speaker 5: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and beyond with Cliff and Bobo will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: But were you starting to notice a thinning hair? Who me, maybe uh, a little a little hair left or a little thinning hair both. Well, I've got good news for you. Bobo Hymns offers access to prescription treatments for regrowing hair and as little as three to six months, so you can see a fuller head of hair like Bobo in the old days by fall.
Speaker 4: That'd be nice having a fresh fall crop to harvest.
Speaker 2: Soweet Hymns offers convenient access to a range of prescription hair loss treatments with ingredients at work, including choose oral medication, serums and sprays.
Speaker 4: Yep, doctors trust this stuff. It's been clinically proven.
Speaker 1: It's got ingredients like finesteride and oxidil, and that stuff can stop hair loss and we goo hair in as little as three to six months.
Speaker 2: You can get started from the comfort of your own home, cave, motor home, or wherever you happen to be by filling out an intake form and a medical provider will determine if treatment is right for you. If prescribed, your treatment is sent directly to you for free.
Speaker 1: The process is one hundred percent online, which meanss getting started has never been more convenient and even a sasquatch can do.
Speaker 2: No insurance is needed, and one low price covers everything from treatments to ongoing care. Plus treatment options start at just thirty five dollars a month. Starts your free online visit today at hymns dot com slash beyond.
Speaker 1: That's hims dot com slash beyond for personalized hair loss treatment options.
Speaker 2: Hymns dot com slash beyond.
Speaker 6: Individual results may vary based on studies of topical and oral monoxidyal and finasteride. Prescription required. See website for full details, restrictions and important safety information.
Speaker 2: All right, so let's let's take a closer look at the story here to kind of maybe not line by line, but things that grab my attention, and the first thing that grabs my attention is the opening line frontiersmen are not, as a rule, apt to be very superstitious. I disagree, and I understand his argument against it, but I disagree completely with that one. I think that frontiersmen or woodsman and all that sort of you know, these are like sale, Yeah, they do tend to be rather superstitious in a lot of ways. I think.
Speaker 3: Well, in the same breath, figuratively speaking, Roosevelt says, well, because of his German ancestry, he was, no doubt, you know, raised in an environment that was replete with superstitious stories, you know, goblin stories, inspecters and things like that. So those two statements are immediately at odds.
Speaker 2: That doesn't change the story at all. That's just, of course, Roosevelt's two cents, and maybe Roosevelt's two cents are only worth one. No, it's Roosevelt's three cents, right right. So let's see what the next thing I want to talk about here, Well.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the setting, because obviously that's the heart of Sasquatch Territory for the Inner Mountain West. I mean, there's still contemporary reports that come out of that region to this day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's still a very very wild area. This particular area is one of the only inland temperate rainforests in the world. In fact, get this spot kind of basically the panhandle of Idaho more or less gets almost as much rain as the coast of Washington does.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful. I saw a camp though with Flippy. We were filming fine bigfoots. I was out for four nights without the crew, and we were in the bitterroots in that area, and man, I couldn't believe it. We were these lush it was a rainforest. And because you know, it's all desert down below there, like when you get down out too far, gets pretty, you know.
Speaker 4: High desert.
Speaker 1: And I was like, my god, there was there was springs, there were there was ferns galore, and roadies, redinderans, and but just the amount of giant ferns blew my mind.
Speaker 4: And this just water bowling on the ground all over the place.
Speaker 2: Very very wet area. You know, Later on in this story, Roosevelt does does what very what kind of a lot of skeptics to do nowadays, they kind of try to write it off, somehow, write off somebody's perfectly normal observation. Is something much more mundane when he says that it may be that when overcome by the horror of the fate that befell his friend, and when oppressed by the awful dread of the unknown, he grew to a tribute both at the time and still more in remembrance, weird and elfin traits to what was merely some abnormally wicked and cunning wild beast. But whether this is so or not, no man can say.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's trying to like discredit those like maybe he might have just been scared, might have been remembering. It's more an exaggerated fashion than what actually happened.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, he was trying to he was a logical guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose so. And of course, you know, another interesting thing about this story is that this particular pass had that reputation because somebody else had died there before torn apart, torn apart. Yeah, and a lot of these Sasquatch places even today have sort of ill reputations where so and so was murdered there, or it's haunted, or they're the devil rooms there, or nobody goes in there because nobody comes out, you know, that kind of stuff. And so even back then, places had scary, scary reputations, and a lot of times those scary reputations only because it had a couple of resident sasquatches within. So I don't know, I think that's kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: I think it's worth pointing out that the setting as described is very consistent with the setting as described by not only witnesses who claim to have seen sasquatches in the act of ambushing prey like deer or elk or even wild hogs in other parts of the country, but also the sort of setting where people very often experience intimidation displays, and that being a small open clearing with steep slopes that are heavily forested on either side and usually bisected by some kind of stream or creek. And so that's what he describes, that they found themselves in a small open glade, you know, an open beaver meadow, the rocky, timber clad ground being from there onward impracticable for horses, meaning it's steep. So there's you know, steep forested slopes on the sides of this small open glade or open meadow, and that they're you know, being this creek. He describes it, the glade in which it was pitched, was not many yards wide, the tall, close set pines and firs rising around it like a wall. On one side was a little stream beyond which rose the steep mountains covered with unbroken growth of evergreen forest. And actually have a list of reports of people experiencing intimidation displays, and you read time and time and time again. You know, we found ourselves in a small open clearing, you know, basically in a bowl where there's high ground on all sides, heavily forested, sort of like if you can imagine being in an amphitheater and you're on stage and you know the seating around you. You know, there's there's no bad seat in the house, so to speak, and so something like that. If they are ambush hunters or ambush predators using terrain to their advantage choke points, bottlenecks, et cetera, but also maintaining cover on high ground where they can see animals that are foraging in an open area so they can observe them from a distance versus in a dense forest, all of that jives perfectly in this story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do seem like those big bowl shape areas and they stay up on the side and watch things wander through. Like I think of a lot of different locations that fit that description that I've run into sasquatches, including that one visual that I've had through thermal imager in North Carolina that was a big bowl shape place that was very very quiet, kind of interesting in that same way.
Speaker 3: You know, another thing that I've found repeatedly in these intimidation encounters is the humans engaging or conducting themselves in such a way that would lead an observing animal to think that they're not going anywhere. You know, through hikers tend to, you know, just constantly be on the move, and so if you're bothered by human presence, well you just wait a few minutes and the humans gone. But it's a different matter altogether when people sit down and take off their packs. You know, the Meldrim's got that story from the Six Rivers expedition where they had stopped on the trail and taken off their packs to eat lunch and started having rocks lobbed at them from the forest. And so you see that in certain encounters where people stop and camp for the night, whether they're pitching a tent or hanging a hammock. But this story really caused me to look into other accounts where people had constructed shelters, and those seem to be even more intense intimidation displays, because what would send a message more like hey, this is my home now than building a shelter in the environment, you know, erecting some sort of like semi permanent structure. So that element of this story you see echo to this day in intimidation reports about you know, people setting up semi permanent structures in Sasquatch habitat and then being encouraged to leave of their own volition.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say that if somebody was walking down the road where I live, it's a private road, I would ask them, hey, who are you visiting? That sort of thing. But if somebody came and pitched a tent, I would definitely throw rocks at it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I imagine if they came and built a little house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would be throwing rocks all the way. Just go go, get the tractor and run it over pretty good.
Speaker 3: You would engage in wanton destructiveness absolutely of their lean to Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Especially if those like TV structures and something make our boundary markers for Sasquatch. What more could you be doing to piss them off and putting up a lean.
Speaker 2: To yeah, something they might actually understand a little bit.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, this is mine. That might be getting more troll than the gunfire. But once again we see that there's no violence until the gun shot.
Speaker 2: Right and the Ape Canyon that that happened the Bouman, And whenever there's some sort of fatality or real scary sort of damage or violence, it almost always is set up by a gunshot earlier. Just it goes to show man, I wouldn't be one. I wouldn't want to be one of these people hunting one. I'll tell you that. How scary would that be? The actually I hit it, it ran away, and now I've got to be here for the next eight hours. Oh man, horrifying. See that's the horror movie that needs to be made for sure.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that line though, when it is Bauman that bear has been walking on two legs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like, what, I don't know, you have Bauman laughed at this. That's the next line in the story right there. But yeah, yeah, it did seem to be made, but didn't made by two paws or feet. I don't think that line would be in there and if they looked like bear tracks.
Speaker 4: And this thing just screams bigfoot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then they a few lines later after discussing whether the footprints could possibly be that of a human being, and well, why would that discussion be there if they're talking about a big brown bear, You know, it just doesn't make sense. They us have looked a lot more like human prints than a regular brown bear, would you know. And there's tons of brown bear even in that area today. And then of course he goes on a few moments later in the story, he is awakened by some noise and then his nostrils were struck by his strong wild beast odor. Well there you go. About ten or fifteen percent of sasquatch reports have that smell associated with it, and it's right here in the story, right here. Then he saw the loom of a great body in the darkness. That's a sasquatch, you know, a loom of a great body unless the bear's standing up. But it must be standing up because it's walking around on two legs, right yeah, And then of course he fires at the thing. Oh the costs his friend's life.
Speaker 5: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and beyond with Cliff and Bobo will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: So it comes back the next day because the people haven't left yet. And of course this poor Sasquatch is probab be just defending it its hunting area. Of course, these poor people too. Okay, they should have just left. Get the hint, you know, I'll tell you, Like, if I was out of one of these spots that I go to and something came in and messed up all my camp while I was out, I don't know if I would stay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's easy to say you would, but it depends like how violent it is.
Speaker 1: You know, Like if you've got heavy things that are like smashed and thrown up in trees and that sort of stuff, and you got your yetti cooler like torn in half and like really violent stuff, like I'd be a lot more intimidate than just like stuff you know, messed up, but really like violently ripped apart and chucked and snapped.
Speaker 4: That'd be a whole another level.
Speaker 2: So the next night they're scared, right, so they get a bunch of They get a bunch of firewood and keep the fire blazing all night long, and the thing comes back after midnight at some point, and it's on the opposite that sounds probably just the opposite of the brook. So there you have the castle and moat thing where the Sasquatches keep some sort of barrier between you and it all the time. And it stayed on the hillside for about an hour, they say, and they can hear the branches crackle as it goes back and forth, and then it starts saying the long, sinister moan, the grating, long drawn out moan. These guys can't take a hint. Apparently Sasquatches don't speak English, but they're very, very effective communicators. These guys should have known better. And of course the next morning they said, yeah, let's get the hell out of here, and so they do, or they try to. At least one guy never made it out, as we know, we just heard the story. But yeah, so they go out and gather all their traps, and of course what do they have a sensation of being followed. In fact, he even says, a disagreeable sensation of being followed. So they were scared. I imagine the hair was raising on the back of that. They felt like they're being watched. The whole nine like all those typical copy and paste sort of sasquatch descriptors when people don't see the sasquatch in the woods, but they know it's there because they can feel it somehow. Probably some sort of consequence of infosound in my opinion, but who knows what that is.
Speaker 4: It could be that thing that you know.
Speaker 1: It could be that they give off a pheromone and they're scent that trigger's off something our primitive brain from when we evolved ut to these guys and competed with them like that that could send that same sensation of hair up pilo erection.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like how the men kind of write it off once once it gets daylight two, because I see that again and again and again, like people come in the museum, like if I saw one, I do this say, well, that's all nice and cute to say, like in the daylight inside of a store, but when you're out there in the dark alone or with one other person, you really don't know what you're gonna do. It's easy to be a tough guy when you're in the daylight, you know, I know, because I am one in the daylight, right, Yeah, we all are in the daylight. Sure, people ask me like, have you ever been scared, and said, dude, if you haven't been scared, like you're lying, you know, mind to yourself or lyning to somebody else, Like it's scary out there sometimes when they're around. Just trying not to let fear stop you from doing anything unless it's tremendously stupid.
Speaker 4: That doesn't stop me.
Speaker 2: That's just wisdom stopping you. Yeah, never stopped me before. Okay, So then he gets back to camp, of course, and then he doesn't see anybody until he sees that his friend is already dead. His neck had been broken, by the way, which is a chimpanzees and right, the necks of their pary deer are found with broken necks, and elk are found with broken necks, possibly done by sasquatches, So it makes sense that his friend would be killed that way, right, or it could be at least so he found his body. But the thing is like, okay, there's there are fang marks in the throat, you know, like some sort of beasts got it. That doesn't sound very sasquatchy to me, because sasquatches don't tend to have long protruding canines. They tend to have flat teeth more like human beings in that sort of way, and the other eighte species. But they may but tho these big ones. Doctor John Binnernoggel actually pointed this out in one of his books, Protruding canines might be a sexually dimorphic trait, like these really big male sasquatches might have these sort of things. So it's possible, But that doesn't sound that doesn't ring as true as some of the other stuff does. And it might have just been added, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Like pronounced they're more like pronounced io teeth like kind of a small tusk kind of. They're not like fangs like a wolf fang.
Speaker 2: No, no, you know, this might have just been added a little bit to add to the drama of the whole thing. And after all, he is telling a quote unquote goblin story, as he said, So yeah, maybe maybe that has something to do with it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, the part about how it romped and gambooled around it and the ferocious glee rolling over and over it, Like there's a lot of predators that do that, you know, they kill something, they'll get all hyped up and thrash it, roll on it and roll on it, you.
Speaker 4: Know, Cane, I will do that. I think some of the big cats.
Speaker 2: Now, ma'am. Mind you, of course he didn't see the animal do that. He's reading the sign. It's entirely possible that the sasquatch dragged the guy all around and beat him like, you know, beat him against the ground or something like you. Oh, for sure, you could do anything if you're a twelve hundred pound sasquatch, and with this little two hundred pound person, you could just throw him around and beat him against the ground and do whatever you want to do with him, like like a rag doll. So he might have been just reading the sign wrong, because how does he know about the gleefulness of the assailant? You know, that's interpretation, that's not observation.
Speaker 1: It just means it was like the amount of exertion put into you know what I mean, like it was going out full force.
Speaker 2: I think he was implying, right, maybe, yeah, entirely possible. Yeah, And then of course Bauman bailed essentially. And I guess the last thing of interest in here is like he described the animals either half human or half devil, some great goblin beast. Well, okay, I can see how any of those words might be attributed to a sasquatch. And certainly, just by looking at a few maps of Bigfoot territory, you're going to find things like Devil's Ridge or Devil's Creek, or Devil's half Acre or devil this double that. You know, there's even a few monster references here in Mountain National Forests, like a ogre Creek down on the calaw Wash River. Well, how many ogres are out here?
Speaker 1: You notice how he left everything behind? I mean how often you've heard that. I mean I've done that. Yeah, it was so freaked out you just grab like whatever, Like he just got his rifle mounted and wrote off these guys, you know, like that's a big deal to leave all your beaver hives behind. You just spend all this time getting out there, and the Sasquats are so intimidating what they do that you just fully and object.
Speaker 4: Horror.
Speaker 2: A good friend of mine actually abandoned his camp after getting scared out of an area just last year, actually last October. He left everything there, including several thousand dollars of photography equipment.
Speaker 3: There's been a couple of times, one time in particular very far off trail, kind of near the headwaters of the Chattahoochee River, we found an abandoned camp. It's just a single tint, but it looked like two sleeping bags in there, and camp tools, sterno sort of stove fuel, you know, a whole host of supplies just entirely abandoned and they all looked very new. So it looked like someone had just up and vanished, leaving hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of camping gear there.
Speaker 1: It could have been so growing weed out in the woods and like they heard a helicopter coming down low or they heard sheriff's coming and they just bolted that there's a weede garden nearby that you didn't see.
Speaker 3: Well, I've been to this place like many, many times, and that's why we were just going back to a place we had been many times and just found this tent and these supplies like that. Were like, oh wow, you know, it's something frightened someone enough to leave and not come back for all this stuff. So it's entirely possible. It just definitely makes you wonder what could have happened that would scare someone badly enough to abandon that much gear and never come back for it because it was there for months, you know. I took other people to go look at it for months afterwards, and it was all still there.
Speaker 2: There's one of those not far from where we've been pulling all these footprints down an out in Moundhood National Forest. Yeah, like one ridge over, but the same creek bed. There's an abandoned camp right there with a couple of tents and a couple of sleeping bags. And I stumbled upon it, and I saying, God, they're gonna be bodies in these So I had to go kick the stuff to make sure there are no bodies in there. So kind of a bum out when you have to go explore an abandoned camp to make sure there are no dead people there.
Speaker 1: That imagine when we were in Indiana down there and so Indiana the oh kind of in the second the name of the forest, but where we set up that camp was to be like people sleeping to lure in the big Foot and look like murdered murdered people in the camp.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah. We put those mannequins and stuff out. We ran into like a regular hikers on the trail and we're carrying mannequins out into the woods like a mile off trim. What what did they think? It's like, what are these guys up to?
Speaker 1: Well, then some other people walked by and actually walked by when they was set up.
Speaker 2: Remember in the Yeah.
Speaker 1: The head was coming off the one mannequin with the wig, like all the strew and stuff. Like, they were like, like, what's going on down there? They're pretty tripped.
Speaker 2: Out, Like there's all these people hanging out in a camp with like four mannequins, three or four manequins set up around a fire, and there's like one guy sitting in the chair next to them. Oh, man, they have a good story. I wonder if that story ever has been told with their friends, you know, funny stuff. Well, there you have it. Man. The Bauman story probably one of the scariest Bigfoot stories, certainly one of the most famous. It's considered a classic. You can read the thing in its entirety on Bobby schortz old website. Bobby, of course has passed away now, but her website is very rich with information. Bigfoot encounters dot com is where we read this one from actually fantastic website. Great resource. There's some factual things in here that you should always double check with other books and whatever else. But for the most part, it's a great, great resource.
Speaker 4: It was my first Bigfoot website. It was the first Bigfoot website that I bookmarked. Who went back to repeatedly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, she did a great job. She did a fantastic job. Have you seen our copy of The Wilderness Hunter at the museum, Bobs, No, it's pretty cool. I got an original pre first edition copy of The Wilderness Hunter. It was published in eight nineteen or eighteen ninety two or three or something like that. Yeah, and this particular copy that I got is a pre first edition. You know how like nowadays, maybe before a book comes out, you might get sent a link to the PDF of a book that you can look at it. What back in the day, they would do a small number of pre prints that they would give out to journalists so they could review the book before it came out to get some buzz going. And I somehow managed to stumble on an original copy of one of those. So in the museum we have the book opened and it's under glass, of course, because we don't people touching it. And you know, it's from the early eighteen you know, eighteen eighty eighteen nineties rather so we have a pre first edition copy of the book as well as an analysis of the text itself on display at the NABC. So it's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: That's cool, that's really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they did have some. I went to one of these antique books websites, you know, we can buy these things. They had autograph copies too, at those like three thousand dollars. I think, well, now I've got I've got the rest of the museum to build too. I can't afford that, right, But yeah, there you have it, man, like one of the one of the best, you know, goblins sort of stories out there about sasquatches, And of course there are plenty of other scary stories as well. Maybe we can touch on some of those in the members section here coming up in a few minutes. But yeah, can be a very very scary thing, especially if you don't know these things are out there. Knowing that they're real animals takes away some of the fear, but replaces it with some other stuff, because I know, you know, brown bears are real as well. May scare the hell out of me, right, but that doesn't scare scare the hell out of me in a sort of superstitious, spooky sort of way, just like, oh yeah, don't want to be eaten by that, because that's what those do.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess that's about it then, all right, Well, we hope you have a very squatchy and spooky Halloween this year, and please hit share, hit like, and if you leave us a little review that helps us spread the word get some new listeners. Yeah, so, thank you very much, and until next week, y'all keep it squatchy.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond.