Speaker 1: Welcome back to part two of our coverage about the disappearance and unexplained death of Bobby Bisop. But of course there is no statute of limitations on murder, so it just seems weird that he's willing to confess all this horrible stuff, but then is getting very defensive when talking about Bobby and saying I didn't do anything to him. So you're wondering, hm, is he paranoid that he's going to be prosecuted for murder or something like that, and that's why he's making up this story completely at a left field.
Speaker 2: You see this with to parallel this with celebrities all the time, where they give partial disclosure, like say when they're talking about plastic surgery procedures, they'll say, like one of the truthful plastic plastic surgery procedures they've had done, but leave out four other ones. In disclosing something that is truthful, they think, Okay, well this is part of the truth. So in being transparent about this, it will get people off my back and they'll believe what I'm saying is genuine. And I think that's a little bit of what we're seeing here. It's like, see, I'm truthful. I'm an honest person. I'm telling you these horrible things that I've done. Why else would I do that except for that I'm now transparent and I feel contrite about this. But in actuality, it's like I think he's giving that information because sure, on some level he might feel bad, But I also think that it is a type of deflection where it's like, look over here, and I'll confess this, but like it's a bridge too far when we talk about murder, because he could truly be held accountable for that, and if he really felt that bad and was really contrite, I would think that he would be fine with whatever punishment came his way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just is pretty ironic because I think he was probably under the mistaken impression that maybe there was a new investigation into Bobby's death, but Kevin vonn wasn't there for that. He was just looking into child sex abuse allegations, and he just pretty much mentioned Bobby as like a throwaway line because he knew that Hugh would have been present to find his remains. I'm willing to think that if Hughitt had not said those very suspicious words, then nobody would have looked any further into Bobby's death, and nobody would have attempted a new investigation, but because he revealed too much information and looked like he was over confiscating this case when in a completely different direction. So, of course, after hearing those weird remarks, Kevin Bond decided to take a fresh look at Bobby's case. But most of the original documentation was gone, including the police files and the autopsy report, so all that he could find was a single report which had been written by the Rocky Mountain National Park Superintendent about the discovery of Bobby's remains. But still Bond noticed a very weird discrepancy in the report because even though he would had claimed that he found bobby scapula and a scrap of clothing on July the third, nineteen fifty one, and then brought it back to the camp's director, Reverend Richard Heaster, according to this report from the Rocky Mountain National Park Superintendent, a Reverend Heaster did not actually report these findings until Monday, July third, three days after the fact, and that's when they started the search efforts. And they're thinking, okay, like, why would you wait three whole days to talk about to report the discovery of a bone or clothing, especially if you believe that it's connected to a child who went missing from your camp one year earlier. So this makes alarm bells GoF on my head, saying, are they fabricating a cover story here? Like are they maybe thinking we're going to sprinkle some remains in this area for the searchers to find, and then when they find them, they'll just fay say that Bobby's dad closed the investigation and no one will be suspicious of us. But of course nobody found this suspicious back in nineteen fifty nine because everyone's thinking, oh, it's a priest who runs a summer camp for kids. There's no way he would do anything nefarious. But of course all these years have passed and they know about cover ups by the Catholic Church. So Kevin Bond is now looking at this report with a major suspicion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is super suspicious, Like why would you hold back that information? I guess there's multiple options. Somebody might have had possession of the remains and thought, okay, we better plant some remains because we want investigators to think that they've been recovered. Then everybody stops looking and then we're left to do what we're gonna do and not have like law enforcement and the family constantly looking for Bobby, or they did genuinely come upon the remains because somebody was like, Okay, well this is where they are. I honestly feel as though they were closing ranks during those few days though, because there had to even talks about how are we going to play this, how are we going to put this out there, how will this be perceived, and what kind of pr can we do to get behind this because at the time people weren't looking and assuming that something bad would have happened to him. But when you're the ones who are doing bad things, I think it's pretty easy to assume that all eyes are going to be looking at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much. And I think that if this case had happened today and a boy had gone missing under similar circumstances, people would look at these details with a lot more suspicion. By nineteen fifty nine was just a more innocent time. And if this wasn't a strategy, it technically did work because no one found anything weird about their discovery of Bobby's remains for over sixty years, So you can understand why they might have been compelled to do this, so obviously, Kevin Vaughn wanted to interview Reverend Richard Heister, but he had passed away sometime during the nineteen nineties. But he was able to track down his nephew, who was also named Richard, and he had been eleven years old at the time and also attending Camp Saint Malo at the time Bobby went missing. And to make things even more weird, Richard recalled an incident which took place on the day Bobby went missing, where he was in a gathering hall with a group of other campers when a boy suddenly pushed Richard out of the way and ran past him, and Richard said that he recalled the boy seemed very upset and was saying a bunch of unintelligible stuff before he headed outside. And because we know that Bobby was hearing impaired and had difficulties speaking, Richard believed that the boy might have been him and that this took place right before he went missing. And of course, since over sixty years had passed, it's possible he wasn't remembering things correctly. But Vaughn was able to track down a man named Roger Contour, who had been a subdistrict ranger at Rocky Mountain National Park at the time and was involved in the recovery of Bobby's remains, and he said that he had been told by other people from the camp that Bobby seemed extremely upset about something right before he went missing. And this is the first time anyone ever heard this story, because, like I mentioned earlier, the official story back in nineteen fifty eight is that Bobby had been fishing by the creek. Everything looked completely normal, and he was asked to come back to the mess hall for suffer before he suddenly disappeared. But now we're getting another different story about the circumstances of how he went missing.
Speaker 2: And so this opens up the possibility that something could have happened to Bobby, and Bobby trying to get away from his abuser, or whatever happened, he ran into the woods, got lost, maybe tripped and fell, hit his head and succumbed to the elements. We have that option, or we have the option that somebody could have chased after him and did something to him and ended his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is true. Even if Bobby was abused that day, that doesn't necessarily mean he was murdered, as your other scenario could also be true, where he was so upset that he decided to run away into the woods and got lost and then died of exposure, but there would still be accountability from the camp and the council who were responsible for it. So that's why they wanted to start digging deeper into this. And I know some people could question Richard Heaster's story because he was only eleven years old at the time, in sixty years had passed. But one thing I find refreshing about Richard is his openness and honesty because he knows this does not paint his uncle in a very promising light, because obviously, if Bobby was being abused at the camp and his uncle helped cover it up, then that looks really bad for him. But Richard has said that even though I admired my uncle, that this is not the type of man I remembered that if he was involved in something bad, then I only want the truth to come out. So that's why I find his account of Bobby seeing very upset and running away to be credible, that it's something he may have remembered vividly all these years, but now that all this new information about sexual abuse cover up has come out, he's now looking at this incident in a totally different light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't see him having a vested interest in putting forth like some false narrative that could make his uncle look bad in some way. I think if you're confronting the idea that your uncle could have been involved in the sexual abuse of children, then when you go when you put a story out like that and you say this is what I perceived happened, this boy could have been Bobby, you know that it could be further damaging the reputation. So I would think that his motivation being that. I'm sure there was pressure from family members, because typically there is in these type of situations. People don't want their names sullied, and so to speak out like that is a really courageous thing to do. And I don't think that he would be getting any reward for speaking out, you know what I mean, Like his family isn't going to be like, good for you, you're looking for the truth. I mean maybe, but I think there's a strong likelihood that he could feel pressure to just say.
Speaker 1: Nothing exactly, Like I can't say this for certain, but I'd say there's probably a good chance that there's some other people in Richard's family who are not happy that he's sharing this story because his uncle was a very respected man who had a reputation while he was alive, and now all this stuff is coming out decades after the fat which paints him in a very negative light. So it is very courageous that Richard is saying this knowing that he could potentially alienate some of the other people in his family who he cares about. But even so, like the more Kevin Vaughan looked into this, the more it seemed odd that Bobby would have died of exposure on that mountain side where his remains were found, because when he looked closer into it, he realized that from that mountain, Bobby would have had a clear view of Cant Saint Malo in the distance, so if he had gotten lost, he probably would have been able to find his way back because the mountain was also near Cabin Creek, where Bobby had supposedly been fishing before he disappeared, so he easily could have just followed the creek back to the camp. So that doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't dive of exposure, like maybe he didn't get lost, but he was so scared of the counselors that he was hiding from in the mountain, and then that's when he succumbed to the elements and died. But because of these discrepancies, the National Parks Are his investigative services branch announced that they were going to open up a new investigation into Bobby's case over sixty years after the fact. So they created a profile page to the cold case section on their website, and while they didn't have enough evidence to label his death a homicide, they did label his case as a suspicious deaths which is pretty remarkable because how many other cases where people died. Are they going to reopen a new investigation sixty years after the fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty wild, and based on everything that we know, it's so hard to be able to tell exactly what happened here. I think it's clear that some kind of cover up happened, But what isn't clear is if Bobby died, because there's so many things that could happen in that short period of time. Like you said, if he was afraid of the counselors, if something had happened and he was abused and he thought, well, I'm just going to stick it out out here, and he got too cold at night, he got dehydrated. You know, we can't go a long time without water or food. Well food, we can go a long time without, but not water. So he could have become dehydrated and confused. He could have fallen and like I said earlier, hit his head. He could have injured his leg like we saw with Chris Kramer's and Leanne Frum right, looks like the most likely scenario there was, not that they were murdered, was that one of them I can't remember which one was injured, and that they both stayed together and both ended up succumbing to the elements.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's very well. What could have happened to Bobby that even if he knew his way back to the camp, like, he could have still succumbed to the elements just because he didn't want to go back. I remember, we don't necessarily know that he died of that mountside, because we've been sharing theories that maybe the remains were planted that location, so he could have died somewhere else. But one thing I wanted to mention is that the official story of Bobby going missing while he was fishing at the creek that was provided by another councilor named Terry Cowan. He has never been accused of any wrongdoing or sexual abuse, so I don't know if he's lying or fabricating the story about Bobby disappearing. But still, when you hear like the account of Bobby looking upset and the whole story from Hewitt about Bobby going to the snack bar and getting upset that he couldn't get candy, it makes you wonder if that whole story about Bobby fishing by the creek actually happened. And I mentioned earlier that his fishing pole and his carton of worms were found in the woods like half a mile away, But it now makes me wonder would Bobby have really taken these items and then just drop them, or were these items planted in order to make it look like Bobby ran off into the forest and got lost.
Speaker 2: Some kind of lazy subterfuge like, oh, yes, he's gonna run away and think to take his worms with him. If you were truly scared, or you were running away and you're running away from that water source, Why would you bring your fishing pole, Like, it's pretty cumbersome to run with a fishing rod or fishing pole and to carry a carton of worms. It just seems a little bit ridiculous. So, yeah, maybe it's possible that earlier that day he was fishing, and so there's some partial truth there. Maybe he was told to change the time in which he saw Bobby. Maybe he saw him at like eleven o'clock, and then it's like, okay, well, let's just say that it was a little bit later, and then somebody else planted those there. But there's any number of scenarios that could have happened. Like you said, somebody could have abducted him, taken him elsewhere, and then when Hewitt finds the remains, it's like, this is the agreed upon location that they've been planted. And there's even the possibility that he genuinely could have just found him for the first time, even though I don't think that's very likely. There's just so many things that are in play here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the issue is because nobody investigated this until decades after the fact, So most of the people who would have first hand knowledge have since passed away, Like I'd really like to reinterview Terry Cowan to hear him tell that account of Bobby being fishing at the creek, But I don't think he's still alive. And one of the few counselors that lived long enough to tell his account is Neil Hewitt, and obviously you can't trust him.
Speaker 2: No, and callen. It would be really interesting to hear from him now if he were still alive, because him being one of the ones that was not accused of sexually abusing the children. So if he was innocent of all that and went through his entire career being like an upstanding individual, then I would be really curious in his twilight years how he would feel about all this and if he would potentially disclose some more information and at least let us know if his account was true or not.
Speaker 1: It's true, Like if he was a seminary student, he was probably thinking that while everything I'm doing is the word of God here. So if my superior is, like the camp director, tell me to do something and feed a false story, then I'll do it because that's what my position. I'm a seminary student, I'm with the church, so I have to follow what they say. But of course, years in retrospect, hearing that other counselors have been sexually abusing children there, I could see him wanting to open up if he didn't do anything wrong on his own, Maybe he's looking at everything in a different light and now thinks that a lot of the stuff he witnessed back then is a lot more suspicious in retrospect. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We talked earlier about the power dynamic between a child attending the camp and a seminary student, and we've got a similar power dynamic between a seminary student and those who are a priest or the camp director, where you got an older and more established person who has that quote unquote like direct line to God. So I would think that it would be very easy to look at one of these seminary students and they would be malleable, They would be very impressionable, and more likely than not to go along with what you're saying as literal gospel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think there's a good chance that is what happened. So in December of twenty twenty, the Colorado Attorney General's Office released a special Masters Supplemental Report containing additional child sexual abuse allegations which it surfaced against Catholic priests from Colorado because they have released the original report a year and a half earlier, but now more people had come forward, so the numbers had now increased to fifty two priests being accused of molesting at least two hundred and twelve children. And one of the new priests who got accused was a guy named Gerald Roppola. A man had come forward and said that Roppola had sexually abused him, only he was a teenager in nineteen sixty seven. Much like these other priests, he had been a Ropola had been transferred around a lot and was actually removed from the ministry in nineteen seventy in order to participate in professional counseling, and he was on one year leave of absence before he died of cancer in March of nineteen seventy one. But what's particularly interesting is that it turned out that Ropola had also been a seminary student at Camp Saint Malo during the summer of nineteen fifty eight, So, along with Neil Hewitt and Harold Robert White, this was no less than three different priests who had been accused of sexually abusing children who are counselors at the camp at that time. So there's just a number of predators there all there simultaneously who could have potentially demise Bobby.
Speaker 2: That is terrifying. This camp was like a repository for child predators. Is that where they sent the pedophiles? And to think that they're all seminary students at this point, they're not even priests. So it's that chicken or the egg question, right. Is it that they decided to go onto this path because they knew that they would have access to children, or is it because this path was very limiting for them sexually so they then turned to predating on children. It's really convoluted and confusing, and they've done studies on this where the priesthood within the Catholic Church where you can't marry, that those who wouldn't necessarily be pedophiles would engage in pedophilic behavior. So I don't know what the stats are exactly and what they would be for seminary students, but I'm wondering if it's like the Boy Scouts where we saw such a huge number of young boys who were accused by their Boy Scout leaders and You've got to think the same with the seminary students. Are you going into this because you know there's guaranteed access to kids?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm wondering as well, because, like we mentioned, this was not common knowledge in the nineteen fifties that if you were a priest who abuse children that the church will help cover it up for you. These are just seminary students who are really low on the toting pol So how could they know that if they did this to these children of this camp, they'd managed to get away with it. But it makes me wonder if word had spread saying that if you are attracted to children and you want to abuse them and get away with it, then this is the camp to go because they will cover up for you.
Speaker 2: And like, You've got to wonder what would have been the type of network that pedophiles would have used to communicate, because we know that pre Internet, there's ways that pedophiles would communicate and share material, and I guess decide on places or populations that would be more vulnerable in that they would be easy you're to victimize. But you've got to wonder in nineteen fifty eight, how would one who has that type of a predilection gain information on what would be a good place for them to predate on children. I don't know how you would get that information back then.
Speaker 1: I don't either, but you might recall that earlier I mentioned that the camp's original founder, father Gerald Bassetti, had also been accused of sexually abusing children. And this camp had been around for two decades, so I have to think that word must have spread and that maybe these pedophiles like received information knowing that if you want to go to a place where you can abuse children freely, this camp would be the ideal place.
Speaker 2: I would be really interested to know if any of these camp counselors attended this camp when they themselves were children.
Speaker 1: That's a good point, like maybe they underwent it and then realized that they wanted to inflict it upon other victims when they were put into a position of power. So, after these new allegations came out about Gerald, repol nine News in Denver aired a new twenty minute documentary titled Mystery of Mount Meeker, which revealed all the new details about this sexual abuse scandal and also the new details that have been dug up in Bobby Bisop's case and in May of twenty twenty one, that's when the most shocking announcement was made in this case, when the media revealed that a Denver based doctor named Tom McCloskey had come forward after watching the documentary and presented the authorities with a human skull that belonged to a child. And the issue with this is that even though Tom McCloskey has allowed the media to share the details of his story, he has never agreed to be formally interviewed. So there are a lot of questions I have of the circumstances of how this takes place, but unfortunately he has not been around to answer them. But the story that has been reported is that Tom's father, Joseph McCloskey, had also worked as a doctor, and when Joseph passed away in nineteen eighty, his son took possession of this skull, and while Tom said he could not remember too many details, he said that his father had told him that the skull may have belonged to a boy who had disappeared from a camp and for years. Tom said that he tried to identify the skull by checking through old news articles about the disappearances of young boys, but had no luck finding a match, so he just decided to spend the next four decades keeping the skull inside a paper sack in his basement. But then when he watched the documentary Mystery amount Meeker and learned about the disappearance of Bobby Bisop, he started to wonder if maybe the skull belonged to Bobby, And that's when he decided to come forward. And I know you're gonna have the obvious question here, why did he keep the skull for four decades without saying anything? But unfortunately, since Tom has never been interviewed, we don't know the answers to those questions.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's all very weird, but I would think that it would be really complex for him because if it was his father that could have been responsible for what happened to this child, then I would think that he might have conflicting emotions on turning that skull over because in doing so, he could implicate his father in the murder of that child. Why did he have it? And so I'm sure that he wrestled internally with his feelings of I should turn this over, I should keep this, do I protect my dad's legacy? It looks on the surface, very very odd. But I think that there is his relationship to his father and their family named to consider, and I guess at the very least we can be thankful for the fact that he came forward at the end and turned over the skull and gave some information, But without a formal interview, there's so many questions left unanswered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one explanation I've seen push forward is because his father was a doctor that at the time he may have felt that wasn't unusual because as more of it as it sounds, doctors sometimes did bring human remains home for experimentation. So I'm sure he didn't think that his father was a serial killer or anything. Back in nineteen eighty when he passed away, he probably thought, well, maybe he got this skull from his work or something like that, and it belonged to a deceased child whose family had allowed him to take the remains for medical research or something. You might recall an episode we did several months ago about the disappearances of a couple named Glenn and Bessie Hyde who went missing in the Grand Canyon on a rafting trip in nineteen twenty eight, And you also might recall a weird detail about this case where they stopped to see a local photographer named Emery Colb, and then like nearly fifty years later, cole fasts away and then his grandson found some human remains but a gunshot wound in his boat house and people are thinking, oh my god, Emory Colb is a murderer. Maybe he killed Glenn Hyde and the remains belonged to him. But then the full story came out that the remains belonged to an unidentified John Doe who had shot himself in the Grand Canyon sometime during the nineteen thirties, and that Emory Colb had been on the corner's jury. And because this young man was never identified and no one came forward to claim his remains, Coleb decided to take the remains home put them in his boat house on the off chance that this man's family would come forward to claim them. But he just kind of forgot about them for four decades, and then people discover the remains after he died in nineteen seventy six, and his grandson is given a complete shock, But it turned out he had the remains for completely harmless reasons. So maybe a similar thing happened with Joseph McCloskey, or maybe that's what Tom thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's completely possible, and who knows. It doesn't mean just because he had possession of the skull that he was involved in what happened, because say one of these seminary students or one of the priests, they had the skull and they thought, okay, this is the part of Bobby that could be identified. What if we give the skull to a doctor friend and we say, yeah, this boy had disappeared. They found the remains, but like, here's the skull, or the remains haven't been found. I don't know how you would word that and how it wouldn't come off as super sucks and that the doctor wouldn't then go to the Maybe it was hard to procure a child's skull, so it was like they'll take it, even though it seems to be tinged with like some major nefarious activity. I don't know any scenario where you would accept that.
Speaker 1: I mean, to be fair, there was anything nefarious associated with Bobby's case back in nineteen fifty nine. They just assumed that he died of exposure. But even so, like I'm sure Bobby's family would want his skull back if it belonged to him, rather than someone keeping it. And the main reason that Tom thought it was connected to Bobby is because his father had been a prominent member of the Catholic Church and was very close friends with the camp's former director, Reverend Heaster. And even though law enforcement hasn't commented on this officially, Reverend Heaster's nephew, Richard, has claimed that federal authorities told him that they believed that his uncle had been in possession of the skull and for whatever reason, decided to give it to Joseph McCloskey, and then when Joseph passed away, he passed it along to his son. That only brings up the question why would Reverend he Easter have this skull in his possession in the first place.
Speaker 2: Well, I would think that you would either be complicit in the murder or complicit in a cover up, whether or not he died at the hands of somebody at that camp or he passed away, for I needs to come to the elements, which is possible as well. And then they found him and were like, oh, we better cover this up. And at the time, dental records were the only way that you were going to be identifying a Bobby. They might not have thought so far ahead as the hearing aid, but maybe again they did. But then the question is, Okay, so they wanted Bobby to be discovered, They wanted his remains to be known, so that's why they if they did sprinkle the remains there, they put his hearing aid there. But then the question is why not his skull? Then if you're just trying to get the heat off, why keep the skull? Was this some kind of serial killer like moment toe type thing where it's like, well, I'm going to keep a souvenir.
Speaker 1: Well. Some people had speculated initially that maybe there were signs of trauma to the skull to prove foul play, but even though law enforcement has not confirmed this, I do not believe this is the case, because, believe it or not, Bobby still has some surviving relatives, and they actually gave the authorities permission to put a photograph of this skull and publish it in the media, so you can't see it online. And from the naked eye, it doesn't look like there are any signs of any gunshot wounds or trauma or blunt force trauma. So if that's what I'm thinking, if Bobby truly did go into the elements and die of exposure, why would they hold onto the skull. But another theory that has been pushed forward is that even if Reverend Heaster was not personally complicit in Bobby's death, he may have felt some sort of subconscious guilt where if Heaster wasn't abusing children, he was still covering up for the counselors who did. So, he decided to keep the skull as a memento, and then, for whatever reason, years later, decided to give it to Joseph McCloskey because if he was one of his more friends. But if he told any secrets to Joseph, Joseph obviously did not pass them on to his son, because Tom has not shed any light on why his father had this skull, but there are any number of scenarios about why they would he would have had the skull in this possession, And unfortunately, because most of the people with the direct knowledge are now deceased, we can only speculate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's since we know that he was accused of sexual abuse, and typically when it comes to institutional sexual abuse, the fish rots from the head, and so you have somebody that is predating on children, and then you have other people who are underneath him that think, okay, this is acceptable behavior. So I could see a scenario like you said, where he might not have been directly responsible for Bobby's death, but he felt responsible because he created the culture that allowed that to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I should clarify that at the time this information came out, Reverend Heaster himself had not been accused of any sexual abuse. It was just a lot of the counselors who were working under him. But in May of twenty twenty four, another victim named Michael Stinho came forward and has filed a lawsuit against the Denver Catholic Church alleging that when he was an altar boy at Notrum Church in Denver during the nineteen sixties, he was personally abused by Reverend Heaster. So this is the first allegation against Heaster that has come out. He hasn't been accused of abusing anyone at Camp Saint Malo yet because this took place years after the fact. But once you learn this, you could realize that even though he might have some subconscious guilt about his counselors doing it. It's also possible that he was doing it himself and that, for reasons unknown, he decided to hold on to Bobby's skull.
Speaker 2: And it just makes me think like nobody else had come forward to accuse him of sexual abuse. It just makes me wonder how many victims there are that are out there, or how many survivors that are out there that just don't share their stories. It's sort of like when we look at serial killers and we're studying serial killers, but we're only studying the ones that get caught, so we're missing out on so much information. And I think the same goes for these victims of religious sexual abuse, because it's very difficult to come forward and we're only literally getting the tip of the iceberg.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah. Because Michael Stano, the guy who has filed his lawsuit, he claimed that he had blocked this abuse completely out of his memory for decades and it just suddenly came back in twenty twenty two. All these repress memories. I think he had had been having like a confrontation with his family where he was very heated in stress, and then all these repressed memories came back and He says it was not only Reverend Heaster, but at least two other priests as well who sexually abused him during his childhood. That I think he had just completely blocked out for a long time, which is why he did not file his lawsuit until twenty twenty four. But makes me wonder if there are other like survivors just like him who have been abused and have just completely blocked it out and it may not even come back until sometime many years after the fact.
Speaker 2: Well, the mind is a really remarkable thing, and it will do a lot of things to protect us, and blocking out really traumatic events can be one of those things. But it can be really dangerous because we don't know when that's going to pop back up. And I hope that he was able to process that and integrate what happened and talk to somebody who specializes in sexual abuse, a therapist that really could help him, because to have that realization so many years after the fact, to be a full grown adult with a family, and to then be re traumatized all over again, and to not just have one sexual abuser, but to have several, that.
Speaker 1: Is a lot exactly, And the fact that this has gone into the courtroom, and that the media has found his story to be credible enough to report on. It makes everyone believe that this actually happened, that this isn't just false memories or a hoax. And I must have a lot to do with the fact that so many other people who worked under Reverend Heaster have been accused of the stuff that everyone just pretty much figures if there's smoke, there's fires, So all these survivors have to be telling the truth. So, as you might recall, in twenty twenty one, when this whole story about the skull came out, the true crime community went nuts, like this was posted everywhere on social media, just because it was such an unusual story, and I covered it on the trail went cold a couple years later in twenty twenty three. But when all this stuff was coming to light, there was a great quote made by A. Rich Ormond, the senior deputy district attorney from Colorado's eighteenth Judicial District, who said quote, it's appalling, it's astounding, and to me, it shows a guilty mind. I don't think you do something like this to a family without a guilty mind. It staggers the imagination that a religious organization like the Catholic Church or a portion of the Catholic Church would act in such a fashion. You just don't hide that unless you have something to hide. End quote.
Speaker 2: I think that is a really good quote, and it kind of hits all those points pretty much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the it's one thing to cover up the abuse of children, but when there's a potential that a child was murdered and that one of the responsible parties was holding on to his skull for decades, that totally elevates this case to a totally different level. So it should be clarified that it has not yet been one hundred percent confirmed that this skull does belong to Bobby. Back in twenty twenty one, it was announced that plans were being made to exhume Bobby's remains for the purposes of DNA testing in order to confirm that the skull did belong to him. But I haven't heard anything since then, And I do know that Bobby does have surviving relatives, so I don't know if any attempts have been made to extract their DNA in order to make a comparison. And it might be a thing where sometimes this family members of these deceased victims had issues with exuming their bodies decades after the facts, so maybe they just have not gotten formal permission from the family. But at the time of this recording, it has not been officially confirmed if this skull does belong to Bobby. But if it belongs to an entirely different a boy, then that only opens up a whole bunch of other unanswered questions.
Speaker 2: No kidding. I thought that they must have got a positive dental records match because they seem to be speaking with some authority that this was indeed Bobby. But to hear that it hasn't been confirmed, it seems odd to me because there is surviving family and they agreed to have pictures of his skull put on the internet, and that would lead me to believe that they want this to be solved. So there's a strong likelihood that they would volunteer their DNA to be tested. At least somebody would against the DNA and the skull if they're able to extract any of the material from the teeth. So I don't know if it's an issue with their having difficulty extracting DNA from the skull, or if they are having issues with exhuming the body, which seems unnecessary when you have surviving family members.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what's going on. It's possible they may have already done this stuff but are just keeping quiet about it because they don't want to release too much to the public and possibly impede the investigation. DNA testing can be weird because sometimes they can make the identification within days, but then for some reason, in other cases it takes years. Another example of that is the Brand and Loss in case where they found his remains in like twenty twenty two, but I don't think they announced that the DNA had identified him until last year, even though everyone was pretty convinced it was him. So sometimes there are just big delays in doing a positive identification with DNA. And because law enforcement has been pretty tight lipped about this case since twenty twenty one, I have no idea if anything's going on behind the scenes. So the only new development that has taken place was this past September in twenty twenty five, when Neil Hewitt finally passed away at the age of eighty nine. I think he had been in hospice care at that point, and obviously he had not said anything new to shed any light on Bobby's death, and I'm not sure if his mind was in any mental state to offer information. And it is a bittersweet feeling because obviously this guy was a monster who got away with so many horrible crimes when Lee was alive. But at the same time, he may have been one of the last surviving people who knew the truth about what happened to Bobby or offered some insight on what happened to him. But he may have taken those secrets to his grave, So that's one last person who may could shed some light on what happened to Bobby, who is no longer with us.
Speaker 2: I've gotten nothing to basis on except for the fact that Hewitt found the remains and that he'd been accused by other children of sexually abusing them. But my gut is just telling me that this man had something to do with it.
Speaker 1: I do agree, like if he had not said those incriminating remarks about how he didn't do anything to Bobby except give him candy, I don't think anyone that would have paid it a second thought if he had just simply said, oh, I remember he disappeared but I don't have any information to offer. I think this story would have died. They just would have assumed that Bobby died of exposure. And even though this whole child sexual abuse allegation scandal still would have been going on, I don't think they would have covered Bobby's story in the media. And then I don't think Tom mcclousey would have come forward with the skull. But once that happened, that opened up a major plan of worms, which made people wonder what happened here, like what happened to Bobby. It's like this could be like a potentially horrific truth that is now coming out over sixty years after the fact, but as it is right now, there are just so many more unanswered questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Hewitt's denial of doing anything to Bobby when he wasn't accused was like the nail in the coffin for me, because just from that perspective of statement analysis, when you're not accused of something but you jump right into a denial of it, it's like in your mind you're already prepping for what you're going to be asked, and you assume that somebody's going to accuse you, So why would you assume that somebody's going to accuse you when that certainly wasn't the culture surrounding what was happening at the time. Even though they were up to many evil acts, they weren't accused of it, and they seemed to be able to cover it up till they couldn't. Right until all the accusations come out, until the cover up idea, the idea of bearing it is no longer viable. So jumping right into this weird story about not selling Bobby a candy bar and him running off and how you didn't do anything to him except not sell him candy, he was just so suss and Hewitt finding the remains, it just feels like, as far as suspects go, anybody is up for grabs. But I think there's a strong likelihood that Hewitt was intimately involved in what happened to Bobby.
Speaker 1: And I'm also thinking we've brought up the possibility that Bobby wasn't murdered, that he was abused and then ran off and died of exposure because he was hiding from his abusers. But if that were the case, you still wouldn't be able to prosecute anyone as long as they didn't have any direct involvement in his death, because the statute of limitations would have expired. But if it was an intentional murder and Hewitt deliberately killed him and disposed of his remains, he still could have been prosecuted, even though he was in his eighties at the time. So his weird change of tone where he goes to openly admitting his sexual abuse but then gets so flustered and starts denying things when it comes to Bobby still makes me think that he was paranoid that he could still be prosecuted for something and had a need to cover it up. So yeah, this is a real rabbit hole, and hopefully one of these days we will at least, even if we don't find the full truth about what happened to Bobby, I hope they at least do a DNA test and confirm that the skull belongs to him. And there are just so many like Because most of the people involved in this have since passed away, we may never learn like the full story, but at least it ensures that Bobby isn't forgotten and that he can be remembered as a victim. If he really was one because the idea that he was this hearing impaired boy who was having a great time at this camp that he seemed to really enjoy, but could have been groomed and abused by someone who knew that because of his disadvantages, he'd be an ideal target who couldn't share what happened to him. That is pretty nauseating, and so it is pretty sad that whoever did this to them will probably never see justice in this light. But at least Bobby will be remembered as a victim, and maybe his story will maybe we'll inspire other people who have been abused by priests to come forward after many years as children, now that they are adults, and that's why it's so important for these stories to come out.
Speaker 2: I wholeheartedly agree with that. I think these cases where there's a strong likelihood because all of the people who are the best suspects here are deceased, that there's a strong likelihood that there might not be justice in the traditional sense. But if we look at how Bobby's story can benefit other people, it's exactly what you said. It's emboldening other people to come forward and to say, like I'm not going to live with this anymore. I'm going to tell my story and to give survivors their power back. And I think in sharing these stories it does empower people and say that like, I am not what happened to me. I am who I am, and this thing was done to me, but it doesn't need to define me anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's probably what happened with Michael Stano when he had these repressed memories for so long, because once these memories came back, he may have read Richard Heaster's name and found out that he was connected to this potentially unsolved homicide of Bobby Bissop, and that's what compelled him to file the lawsuit. And if this is the case, then that shows that Bobby's story has done some good for some people. So any further thoughts on the death of Bobby Bisop.
Speaker 2: This is a really heartbreaking case, and like we've mentioned throughout, there's even another layer to that, given that Bobby was hearing impaired and he was dealing with these challenges in everyday life, and to think that somebody, likely hew It, could have targeted him based on the fact that Bobby might not have been able to communicate what happened in the way that somebody was using traditional spoken language could But even then, children don't typically have the capacity to be able to communicate that, especially at that time. They weren't given language around sexual abuse the way that I'm a millennial and I grew up with like, you know, stranger danger, and if somebody touches you in your you know, underwear area, then you tell your parents, and you're taught all of these things. But I don't think that children in the nineteen fifties were taught that there was an assumption that, like you were safe with adults, particularly those who would be members of the clergy or seminary students, that should be where you are safest. So the parents trusted this camp. They trusted the counselors, and they trusted the priests who ran it, and this is what happened. And that is so.
Speaker 1: Heartbreaking to think, exactly, like knowing that there were at least three counselors working there who have been accused of sexual abuse, and now it's coming out that the camp director had possibly even abusing children as well. It's just pretty nausey and you think about it. But hopefully Bobby does get justice, maybe not in this life, but in the next. So that about brings any to our series on the disappearance and death of Bobby Biszop. Thank you so much for joining us, and happy New Year everyone, since we're recording this on the first day of twenty twenty six, so we'll see you next time for our next series of episodes from The Path Went Chile.
Speaker 2: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 1: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon if you join our five dollars tier Tier two. We also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on The Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon and if you join our highest tier tier free the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of UNSAWD Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 3: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jeweles and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those.
Speaker 2: So we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or d rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up, because cold trails and chili ask call for warm clothing.
Speaker 2: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy