Speaker 1: We are proud to team up with our bank. Open your account conveniently online at www dot r dot bank. Member fdiic some drama at the City Council meeting in Austin this week. We'll tell you about it in just a second. Thanks for being with us. It's the JV and Sandy Show today. JB filling in all this week for Tricia while she is gone. Make sure you grab the Sandy Show podcast as well. And I've got a really really big goal.
Speaker 2: Here, JB. Would you like to hear what it is? All right?
Speaker 1: So if you go to our website. I just stumbled into this last night. If you go to our website at one three to one Austin dot com, there is a list there that says listen to iHeart podcast, right, and it's the top one hundred podcast that iHeart offers. Okay, so I'm looking through it. I'm like, Okay, I know those guys. I know those guys. Let's go all way to the very very bottom number number one hundred, right, and I'm like red Eye Radio. It's a targeted at long haul truckers.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. I can beat that. I like.
Speaker 1: I My goal is to crack the top one hundred, just one hundred.
Speaker 2: I don't need to do any better than that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I'll be happy with just number one hundred to replace Red Eye Radio. It's a show that literally targets over the road truckers. Wow, nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying, it's an overnight show. I'm just you know what I'm saying, digging a hole. Here's what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: It might be harder than you think. Oh, it's going to be tremendously hard. Yeah. Oh I know, I know.
Speaker 1: And I see some of the names that are on there, and I'm like, well, you're never going to get to that, you know. But I mean, just number one hundred, that's that's the goal. It's a very it's a big goal.
Speaker 3: Do they have any number one video version of its audio?
Speaker 2: It's all audio and red Eye what was it called red Eye Radio?
Speaker 1: Red Eye Radio is number one hundred on the top one hundred iHeartRadio podcast list, And I mean there's I'm not gonna never gonna beat Glenn Back or any of those guys, you know what I mean, But at least for my own ego. Download the Sandy Show podcast and at least get past Red Eye Radio.
Speaker 2: You're gun in for him.
Speaker 1: I'm coming after him, baby, I'm coming after all. Both guns blazing on this deal.
Speaker 3: I mean, I see a lot of videos of them being guests on other shows, but I don't see like their own channel.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm curious now now I know.
Speaker 1: Now I'm losing all my radio listeners, all our radio listeners, Red Eye Radio, sons of bitches. Yeah, this didn't work out so good for me, did it? Okay, So shout out to and best wishes to Mackenzie Kelly. City council woman. Mackenzie Kelly had to be rushed from a city council meeting the other day and taking the hospital and last I.
Speaker 2: Checked was recuperating.
Speaker 1: They're not seeing you know what happened or what it was, but apparently she's not feeling well and had to be taken to the hospital. And she has been a big supporter of you and I for years and years. She grew up listening to us, and then she went on to, you know, be a city council member in Austin and oftentimes the only city council person that I agree with.
Speaker 2: In Austin.
Speaker 3: So yeah, she is Yeah, I think she's there for the right reasons, you know, yes, doing the people's business. Yeah, oh man, I wish here will and let me know if you get any updates on that note.
Speaker 2: I don't know you. Do you recall the city councilman Chris Riley?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just bikes for kids and stuff. Yep.
Speaker 3: He just passed away. I just found that out a little bit late from cancer. But he was a big advocate for cycling. I mean, and I mean pushing hard early about you know, when that first big, really big push about moving downtown from will Wynn and all that, it's like get out of your cars, like start riding a bike. He put his money where his mouth is and moved downtown and dished his car. He was always on his bike. He was real helpful for business project that I worked on in East Austin. Just the real deal Harvard guy as an undergrad ut law. But I think he was only sixty sixty one years old. And I just hate here in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know on that because you mentioned will Win and I got maybe you know, Will You may have it may have gone too far with the moving downtown. I mean you may have I mean really over over succeeded on that because the people certainly got the message that to move downtown, and they did that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, there's probably you probably have a lot of new Austinite listeners who don't remember this era when hardly anyone was living downtown. The only place to live was the rail yard, right, those apartments. And then you know, will Win when he was a mayor, was like, look, it's too late to build the infrastructure. It's too late. They didn't want to do it in the sixties and seventies because they wanted it to be a small town. He goes, you need to live where you work. Get out of your cars. He did the same thing. He moved downtown. He was in one of those early condos downtown. And it's like, you can't and undo it.
Speaker 1: Now, right, you can't undo it. I mean, it's out of the bottle. Everyone moved downtown. They did it. It's funny when I talk to especially younger people that live downtown. I always one guy said it to me, and then I can continue to ask younger people he lives down here downtown. He's like, yeah, it's a get it out of my system thing, you know. Yeah, I'm going to live down here for a while and then I'll move, you know, northwest or somewhere. And so I always ask younger people when I find out they live downtown, I go, is it kind of a get it out of your system type of thing?
Speaker 2: And they all say yes, They all right, Yeah, my daughter didn't want to live downtown.
Speaker 3: She's on South Lamar and that downtown is a little more expensive than Southamar anyway, and she wanted to live by herself, which makes it challenging financially. But you know, she's she did not want to do the downtown thing. Yeah, No, that'll freak me out. She just wanted to be a little bit removed. Although South Lamar is starting to look like downtown.
Speaker 1: How mature is that of your daughter to know herself well enough to know that that wouldn't work for.
Speaker 3: Her, Yeah, and to know that she needs to live by herself. Yeah, it's just grown up a lot doing it. It's been really helpful.
Speaker 2: That's that's cool. It's cool.
Speaker 1: It's fun watching other people's kids grow up, you know what I mean. Like I saw some kids the other day. I was in a car wash and I one of the kids that was working there. I used to live in the same neighborhood in Valine, and I was looking at him and.
Speaker 2: I was like, hey, I know you you know what I mean? And then I told him who I was. He was like, holy crap.
Speaker 1: And he's like seventeen now right, he's going to be a senior in high school. I knew when he was just a little kid shooting baskets in front of my house all day. Yeah, it's fun to do that. He's JB. My name is Sandy. Helped me crack that top one hundred on the iHeart list, which and download the podcast I got to knock out Red Eye Radio.
Speaker 2: You know, and I should have.
Speaker 3: She is sorry to go backwards here, but would you could you do the downtown thing?
Speaker 2: Well, no, not in my current life.
Speaker 5: That maybe is an empty master. Yeah, yes, definitely you could. I think, well I could Tricia couldn't you know what I mean. She's gonna divorce me in five years anyway, So I mean she and I are going to have that talk when we're when we're married twenty years, we're going to have that talks about four years from now.
Speaker 2: I was like, Hey, do you want to keep doing this or not? If you don't want to.
Speaker 1: Let's just kind of you know, she wants to get a duplex and I live on one side and she lives on the other side, so whatever.
Speaker 3: Or you could just have a house and just put a wall up down the middle. I mean it's essentially the same thing. Yeah, you're right, two containers their homes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stick around.
Speaker 1: We've got more coming up on one O three point one Austin's eighties station and on your smart device just say play one oh three point one Austin's eighty station on iHeartRadio. Hey it's Sandy and I'd like to tell you about an amazing offer from my friends at King Goar roof. These guys have been serving Central Texas for more than twenty years and they know everything when it comes to roofing. Their teams are professional advisors. They only recommend what customers actually need. And what they're recommending a lot right now is something called attic breeze. When's the last time you went up into your attic. You know what that was like. It was hotter than hell up there. Well, that heat is not only uncomfortable, but it can really really.
Speaker 2: Strain your air conditioning underneath it.
Speaker 1: The attic Breeze is a specialized ventilation tool that circulates the stale, really hot air and then the results are more comfortable attic for the next time you need to grab those boxes, but lower utility bills as well. And because it's sold by kingar Roof, you can feel confident they can explain the benefits, take care of installation, and you name it. Find them online at Kingaroof dot com. Coming up at nine o'clock this morning, got a chance for you to win a trip to Las Vegas to the iHeartRadio Music Festival.
Speaker 2: At The trip is for two.
Speaker 1: We also give you a one thousand dollars gift card, so be listening for the word to text in and win. Your first chance is at nine o'clock and it happens all day long, every hour right up until five o'clock.
Speaker 2: First chance coming up at nine.
Speaker 1: Since we were speaking just a little bit ago about my very lofty goal of trying to crack the top one hundred on the iHeartRadio podcast list on their top one hundred, things have changed, JB. The Redeye Radio is not number one hundred anymore. Okay, it's been booted off of the list. So my new target to break the top one hundred is Bannon's war Room.
Speaker 2: Let's see what that's all about. War Room.
Speaker 1: Let's see what the first episode. This looks fun, the long economic grind, MAGA turnout, and battleground states.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't make your neighbors hate you. Yeah, and no, kidd, let's see what political Yeah. But here's the description of Bannon's war Room. This is my target. I want to knock them out and be number one hundred. And the only way I can do that is to get people to download the podcast.
Speaker 1: Right, That's the only way I can do it. It's a numbers game in this tiny little radio station. I mean, it would be a coup if I pulled it off. I mean that would get some people's attention, don't you think So why not, We'll go after Bannon. I'm guessing this is Steve Bannon. Here's how it's described. Pandemic is the first and most comprehensive program to bring the most up to the minute information on the news of the day.
Speaker 2: Stephen K.
Speaker 1: Bannon brings medical experts, politician, business leaders, and those on the front line for a comprehensive look at the latest news from all and provide their inside or insights. I will pass on that, but I do want to knock it out and be number one hundred JP.
Speaker 2: So this is this is my mission.
Speaker 1: You were the one that told me that fitness without goals is nearly impossible. So I've now applied that to other parts of my life, that doing getting anything done without a goal is nearly impossible. So number one hundred, that's what I'm shooting for.
Speaker 2: Are you are you?
Speaker 3: Are you being kicking around some kind of new podcast idea there cracking or just no?
Speaker 1: This one the Sandy Show, the one that we real know wise as I do have a couple others.
Speaker 3: I just know I've wondered if you've had thoughts of like, oh I should do a show about this or this, and sometimes your friends tell you you should be doing a show.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got okay.
Speaker 1: So in fact, I just did one yesterday, Beamer's Best Bets Rich Bean with Rich Beam, which is a golf gambling podcast.
Speaker 2: And how's that going?
Speaker 1: It's going all right, I'm I mean it needs to be promoted more. Rich has got to understand the social media side of it, like, dude, this doesn't live without your social media.
Speaker 2: But he makes picks man in the Olympics.
Speaker 1: He picked the first two Scottie Scheffler and Tommy Fleetwood. I mean, he's got winners. If you want, if you want to bet on golf, you listen to that podcast. And then I've got Chancellor Hans's podcast, The Best Storyteller in Texas, which does very, very well. It's got a better shot at breaking the top one hundred than I do, but I'm going to give it a shot.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we got new police chief JB did we find I've been a bit checked.
Speaker 3: Out, especially like Tour de France. I'm working sun up to sundown that's in July, and then I'm an Olympics junkie, Like I don't watch any real news during the Olympics. It's so anyhow, I am completely out of touch given all that, and I knew we were looking for a new police chief.
Speaker 1: Her name is Lisa Davis. She comes to Austin. She was an assistant chief in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: The other finalist was Jeffrey Norman from Milwaukee. But Lisa Davis is going to be the new police chief in Austin. I don't know a whole lot about her, to be honest with you, I do know that she's going to like it here a whole lot more than she liked it in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: You just have better people here.
Speaker 3: You've lived there for a year or so, yeahen months in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: You're not going to deal with the same problems that you have in Cincinnati. There's Austin's got its problems. The bigger it gets, the more problems it seems to have. But you know, I'm not gonna I don't know much about her, but we'll see how she does, right, Lisa Danas.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: It seems like, I mean, I've not spent any time in law enforcement, but I would love to have that conversation. It seems like a local insider would be better groomed for a leadership role of just knowing the dynamics of the city. Like I mean, she's never lived here, Like I know this city neighborhood by neighborhood, you know, And I'm never spending time in law enforcement.
Speaker 2: But it's like that takes a lot of lifetime to learn.
Speaker 1: But one of Austin's most popular ever and well loved chiefs, art Os of Ata, he went from here either, you know, he was from la But I think you know, she did say something really smart. She said, like, the first one hundred days of this is going to be a lot of listening and a lot of learning, a lot of learning.
Speaker 2: You know how things work.
Speaker 1: You can't just come in and just start making just broad stroke changes to a police dey.
Speaker 3: And it's a super weird city with the dynamics of between Travis County and Texas State, the state of Texas between we had it between Adler and Abbott. Do you remember that, Like it's a it's a very unique situation, is where I'm going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what you're saying is that the it's red and blue. It's like Austin is the blue spot in the entire state of Texas. And so a lot of times the state rulings don't fly, don't fly very well in.
Speaker 3: All one county right now. It's any job, yeah.
Speaker 1: Job so and you got so many people, so many different types of people just from one county to another. It's it's a tough job. I would not want to be a chief of police. Don't thank you. I'll be fired a chief first. No, I would not take that job. I just you know how hard recruiting has to be. Now, Oh yeah, and there's so many officers short right now, Yeah, and getting because of funding and all that crap that happened a few years ago.
Speaker 3: It's funding, and then you've you're trying to do a job that I could never do, and you're making split section decisions and then you can end up in court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, now I know you know, good or bad opinion on you know.
Speaker 1: And now there's there's the cameras to it, so that can help you or that can hurt you in the case, right with everyone wearing body cams.
Speaker 2: So I hate that.
Speaker 1: You ever see the people on social media that are just jerks to cops. They get pulled over and they're like, no, I don't answer any questions. It might being detained, I know, just asking for it. You're provoking it.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous. That's usually someone hiding something. I would think, Yeah, you're right, they are. They just cooperate, They just make it. They want to get on with their day. Right, Unless you're hiding something, then you're going to be difficult.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's someone that you know, read or watched a YouTube video on how to handle the things.
Speaker 2: They're a lawyer, you know what I mean. The goal.
Speaker 1: And speaking of that podcast that I mentioned a little bit, Ago Can't Hance the best storyteller in Texas.
Speaker 2: He has a great story and the.
Speaker 1: Moral of it is, when you get pulled over by a police officer, there is one goal in mind that both of you go home that night.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: The police officer goes home and you go home, and that's that's the goal of any traffic stop.
Speaker 2: Stick around.
Speaker 1: By the way, Jami mentioned some of those podcasts and stuff You've got Jamie Squared that you do with Johan Bernew.
Speaker 2: We mentioned that earlier.
Speaker 1: You work on the Tour de France coverage, which you guys killed it on this year and the upcoming the Women's Tour.
Speaker 2: You guys are also doing right, let's starts next week the Move podcast too, right and are you part of the forward also? No, I just produced that.
Speaker 3: So the forward is Lance Armstrong doing full length interviews with people of interests and we have one coming out in a couple of days with Sir Bradley Wiggins.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to that. Oh yeah, interesting guy.
Speaker 3: He won the Tour de France in twenty twelve and has just been crucified by the British tabloids.
Speaker 2: Did he get all jacked up after his bike racing? He doesn't even look like the same guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got into boxing and ah okay a yeah, he's just massive.
Speaker 2: Compared to how he looked as a cyclist. So look for that this week. It's gonna Yeah, it's a it's a good interview.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a fascinating story and that very likable guy who's just I mean, if you think tabloids are tough here, I think it's nothing compared to British tablets.
Speaker 1: This is a question that I think a lot of our listeners can really really relate to. Look, we don't have any sixteen seventeen, eighteen year olds listening to us. They're listening to their to their music on their phone, or they're watching something weird on their phone that I've never even heard of, you know what, I mean, some sort of weird cartoon that I don't even know what it is.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm talking about, JB. I'm kind of anime And yeah, I mean, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Saying it's weird to me because I don't know what it is. I get that it's new stuff to them. You know what I mean, but it's like, what is this, you know, like like Roadblocks? I mean, I know that's pretty mainstream, but I have no idea what that's all about.
Speaker 2: The kids playing Roadblocks? Do you know what that is? No? I don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, see that is either it's a video game that it's the graphics suck on it. It's like an atari from nineteen eighty two. But it's super popular in here. Yeah, it's huge, huge, huge. So here's the question, what are you slowly losing interest in as you grow older something that used to be a big deal to you but no, thanks, as you get older, I'll start out going to sporting events.
Speaker 2: Don't care. I do not care. I don't much of a production or too much of a whip. TV is so good too, part of the problem, yep.
Speaker 1: But I used to love to go to a college football game. We'd love to go to a baseball game or a hockey or anything. And now I'm just like, unless I'm getting unless you can chopper me in and chopper me out, I am not going.
Speaker 2: No, thank you, just yeah I can see that. Yeah, what about you?
Speaker 3: This is actually like I was just thinking about this recently that I've lost interest in going out to eat. Oh, now it's if it's just grab something casual, super easy, let's stuck into this patio, get some appetizers whatever. I'm all in going out to dinner, like my wife and I going to dinner.
Speaker 2: Like with another couple or something, even if it's with or without a couple. I just don't.
Speaker 3: The benefits just are not that great to me. It's gotten crazy expensive. Yes, it is like ridiculously expensive. I cook a lot at home, and so it's just like, h we're gonna go spend We're gonna go spend a couple hundred bucks on dinner, you know. I mean, it's just not cheap anymore to go to a halfway decent dinner. And then you get stick shock on the wine prices or whatever, so you order something mediocre. It's just like and you're just like it better be really good, Like it better be mind blowing good.
Speaker 2: You made me think of something. You mentioned the wine list.
Speaker 1: So I've always been a go out to dinner with another couple person, you know, and you always just split it, don't don't break down the price of the meal. Well, I mean I don't drink. Yeah, my wife barely drinks. This other couple we go out with got a ninety dollars bottle of wine.
Speaker 2: Right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, yeah, that's not working. Well, yeah, that one's not working in your favor.
Speaker 1: I didn't say anything, you know, but I was like, yeah, that's that hurts, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But I'm also a believer. What goes around comes around, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, another thing that as I've gotten older, I've completely lost interest in. Not that I was really ever that interested in it, but like celebrity breakups, you know what I mean, Like right now, Ben and Jennifer Lopez, I don't care, although I do care about the rumor that's out there as to why would.
Speaker 2: You like to know what that is? Yeah? I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Sugar Knight, you know who that is, right, the bad guy that's in jail. The rap guy, by the way, does a podcast from jail. Did you know that No does a podcast from prison? Yes, I'm sure he does, if it sug anyway, I don't know. His theory is that if you remember, j Lo dated Diddy back in the day, right, and the FBI rated Diddy and they got a bunch of videos and kinky, weird stuff that Diddy likes, and j Lo was down with it back then, and Ben found and Ben found out, Oh.
Speaker 2: That's why Ben is jet packing out.
Speaker 3: Oh, because I've I've seen some of the now I'm getting roped right into it. I've seen some of the social clips where they're like paparazzi's following and Ben just looks so annoyed. Yeah, he doesn't want to be there. And there's a I don't have her name in front of me, I'm sorry. There is an Instagram page where a woman who can lip read professionally. She lip reads what the celebrities are saying from a distance, and Ben and Jen are a big target for her. So some tmz might post some clip or something, right, I have to ask about that, and you can't tell what they're saying.
Speaker 2: She does it. She does it a lot. At sporting events.
Speaker 3: There'll be a couple up there having an argument backstage.
Speaker 2: Whatever were they saying right before they came out? It's pretty cool. Has she said what Ben has been saying? I have to go find it.
Speaker 3: I just this was a I've said it in a while, but that just rings a bell that she's like trying to follow what they're saying.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, if it's on TMZ, I'll just call my dad later on today and have him tell me that, which is funny.
Speaker 2: He is, it's fun there.
Speaker 1: I could go on and on about the things that but the things that I've just completely lost interest in is I've gotten older. I'll wrap it up with this last one, and I think, JB, you're going to be one hundred percent on this too.
Speaker 2: Other people's opinions about me, Oh yeah, boy, that's rating to not care.
Speaker 1: Don't care at all, don't care. Don't need any new friends either. Yeah, I've got all the friends I need. I'm not looking at for new ones. Yeah, that's a good one. Our Bank proudly sponsors The Sandy Show. Make the Switch effortlessly by visiting www dot r dot bank November FDIC fight us on Instagram at the Sandy Show Official. You can text us anytime if you like. Seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred and JB, it's great having you here today because I had something happen to me recently that it's just different to talk to one of your boys about that it is to talk to your wife about you know what I mean, because you get guy code.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, there's guy code and there's girl code, bro code. You know, it's a thing.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks ago, I guess about a month ago, Tricia and Landry and I went up to see my parents in Nebraska, right, and I had posted a photo with my mom in Nebraska. Well, a guy that I was friends with in college, actually before college too, he saw the photo and he reached out.
Speaker 2: And he's like, he is like, hey, man, I saw you in town.
Speaker 1: Don't want to drag you away from your family and stuff, but I'd love to get together and you know, grab lunch or coffee or something like that. Well, this is a guy that many years ago, probably fifteen years ago, I loaned him money, right, and I thought, here it comes. It's coming back. He wants to get together so he can pay me back the money that I loaned him.
Speaker 2: A decent amount of money.
Speaker 1: Uh put it this way, enough to make a couple of mortgage payments. Okay, you know what I mean. And so I thought, okay, this is great. He's gonna I've never asked for it, I've never brought it up. He comes out of the blue wants to get coffee. I think I'm getting paid, right, I go, I have coffee. I don't get paid. How long do I go now that this relationship is, you know, gone from not talking or seeing to each other to at least having coffee with each other, do I go like, hey.
Speaker 2: About that loan?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Ye oh, that's a tough one.
Speaker 1: Now, most some people would say, my father and looted. When he loan money to friends. It's not alone. It's a gift, and you need to know that before you do it. So I get that part of it. But I'm not going to lie. He ain't that good a friend.
Speaker 2: He's not. And he was in a jam, and I wanted to help him out. And I figured, as you can tell, is he out of that jam? That was a long time ago? You know, looking at it looked like it.
Speaker 1: I mean he was driving a fairly probably a two year old truck, you know, and married kids, He had been working at the same job for a while, had gone on some trips, you know. All the things were there that told me, hmm, he probably could have paid me back.
Speaker 2: But you've seen that, So what would you do? I wouldn't. I don't know what the right thing is to do.
Speaker 3: I'll start by saying that, but I wouldn't say anything, and I would let it go, otherwise it would bother me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've forgotten about it until Yeah, but I wouldn't be really interested in getting back together again. No.
Speaker 1: Right, But when I left there, I go, I'm not doing that again. I only went because I thought I was getting my money, right, it's gonna be a good paid Yeah. I was like, you know, of course I won't tell Trussia. I was like, I'm just going to meet a buddy.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sucks, that's awkward. Yeah, I really did think that he was going to pay me back.
Speaker 3: But but you know, I mean, I've been in a position in my life a couple of times here and there where I borrowed from friends or family, and I would address it every time I saw them, Yeah, hey, I'm going to take care of this. We're gonna be good, just letting you know, and where they were even like, hey, we're fine. I don't want to hear it, Like yeah, you just bring it up and get out in front of it. But there's not a better feeling in the world than giving it back to him. I've done the same thing I bought from a friend and giving it back to him is a great feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a half so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not going to say anything to this guy, but I certainly am not getting together with him. And I've learned my lesson to not post on social media that I'm in Omaha, because then they all, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Maybe he just wanted to see your mom. Do you always have the huts for your mom?
Speaker 1: The Olympics have been fun. I don't seem to think. I don't think there's big deal as they used to be. But maybe that's just me. I don't know. They've been really entertaining though over the little bits and pieces that I've seen. It's the Sandy Show and JB is hanging out with us today and I do appreciate it. You can text us anytime you like. Seven three seven threes are a one ninety six hundred big star of the Olympics. No surprise, really, I mean it's Simone Biles. She's the goat when it comes to women's gymnastics, and she's the face of America for good reason when it comes to the Olympics. She's been dominant forever and they asked her, what's the one question that she'd like to stop hearing. Now that her competition has stopped at the Olympics, it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: People are asking what are you gonna do next? And she's like, can I just enjoy them enough?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I just want gold medals. I just represented our country. I spar what she wants to say. Yeah, can I just take a break and be Simon and maybe check out the rest of the Olympic Games and hang out with my husband who's here.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? That would get old really fast, you know.
Speaker 3: Now, that's that's tough because it's yeah, you know, I work on some cycling podcasts and we do it all the time.
Speaker 2: If that then this, yeah they can get this, Then they can get this, and it's it's it will mess up. We can't for you guys to speculate on that, but to ask them, you know what I mean, Yeah, what's next?
Speaker 3: And I mean and you know this, like you you've been in media, you're career like me, You've seen how the public loves to build them up and then break them down. And Simon's even a great example. She took the time out for herself. Yeah, to work on herself and and exit for a while and then come back and be super dominant. But it's that's human nature of It's like more and more and more. Yeah, but then when when they're great, we hate them.
Speaker 2: You know. The French are famous for hating winners.
Speaker 6: You know that.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't know that. Really, Yeah, they don't like winners.
Speaker 1: They've never won anything but one breath. They'd be speaking German right now.
Speaker 3: Their their favorite cyclist of all time is a guy named Raymond Poulador always came in second to Eddie Murks.
Speaker 2: Really they love most loved cyclists of all of France, and even the Frenchmen that have won the tour they don't love him as much. No, No, Jakhonkatil, No, that's that's wild.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I know what you mean about building people up in terms of that. I heard a great analogy on something I was watching. He was like, We're all a bunch of crab in a big bucket, and one of the crab manages to get all the way to the top of the bucket, and just as he's about to get out, one of those other rotten crabs pulsing back down. Every single time, right, But anyway, there was something else. Oh, lots of proposals happening at the at the Games too, which makes sense, very romantic with friends in there, until tower and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: There is a lot of that.
Speaker 3: And I was watching women's gymnastics, so I don't have the names in front of me, But did you see this? I think she was French born, but an Algerian Algerian gymnast who thought she had the bronze medal in an event.
Speaker 2: Oh no, And I don't know.
Speaker 3: If it was a protest or an inquiry from the other American there was. There's Simon and then there's other. Sorry, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know her name off hand.
Speaker 3: I anyhow, I was they they literally this Algerian gymnast is going through the process with a flag wrapped around her, getting handed the bronze and they overturned it and she just broke down. It was one of the most heartbreaking things. I was just like American because immediately, you know, I have you know, I just immediately put myself in the position of her parents was sitting there with their daughter who just.
Speaker 2: You know, it was heartbreaking. It was an American that that got the bronze.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, I don't remember the details. I mean, come on, I was very I was very casually watching it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the girl that got the American girls should have been like, it's bronze.
Speaker 2: You didn't have it. I I know, I know it's bronze.
Speaker 1: You know, I've got a bunch of gold already from the team all around, and you can have your bronze Algeria, Jimmy, I don't know if I told you this, but I've been very, very intentional in the last two years about connecting with my friends, like my buddies, like going and meeting for lunch, or going and having breakfast on the weekend, or just going to the driving range to hit golf balls, or meeting for coffee or anything like that. I've been very like, that's a thing for me right now.
Speaker 2: You're a decade away from doing it at what a Burger? You're right, Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: Just sitting there with the old guys, having the coffee, getting the free call, getting the free refills on the coffee.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 1: But it's just been a thing. I just like, I made effort to stay in touch with the guys, you know, that I grew up with. Well, I told you earlier about my buddy that I had lunch with the other day. And he has a twenty three year old son and he still tracks him on his phone. He's got another son that is a going to be a senior this year. I think he already has half of his senior year done already. It's weird. I don't understand how school works anymore. But there's like kids leaving at semester because they're done, you know what I mean. Anyway, this guy he went to Stanford University. His dad went to Stanford, his wife went to Stanford, his grandfather went to Stanford. And this kid has been accepted at Stamford. Except he's not going to go to Stanford because his girlfriend is going to Henderson State in Arkansas.
Speaker 2: Do you see where the problem is here?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, he is a about to lose his mind on this. The kid wion't won't budge. He's like, I am in love with this girl and I'm going to go to Henderson's State with her.
Speaker 3: And there, you know, for most kids, for most kids, i'd be like, you know what, where you get your degree doesn't matter that much.
Speaker 2: It's just you're getting it. You're checking a box. Good for you.
Speaker 3: Stanford does not fall into that category, right, No, yeah, especially just if you look at where the world economies have headed, A school like Stanford is more aligned with the future world and probably anybody, right.
Speaker 2: More than Henderson State at least.
Speaker 3: What hey, before you're too hard, what's the mascot there at Henderson's State?
Speaker 2: I haven't looked. I maybe I don't know, Well what is it as Stanford? Anyway?
Speaker 1: The tree the cardinal is what the Stanford Cardinal? And they have that that tree like a like a Christmas tree thing that I'm going to solve this on mascots is where I'm going. I'm just saying, if that's my kid, what Henderson Henderson State in Arkansas is where he's going to says he's going to school because his girlfriend is going to school there and he isn't going to go to Stamford.
Speaker 3: Like, Okay, I have questions about this girlfriend. H What is so special about her that only Henderson State can.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's Henderson State. I think it's what she's done to him. She's a year older and so she's been at Henderson State for a year and she did things to him he's never had done before.
Speaker 4: So you know what I'm saying, they're the Henderson readys R E D D I E s. Yeah, but it's a tough parenting call. You gotta go to Stanford, you don't Henderson state. If you've got an option.
Speaker 2: Is a tough one. Do you just put your foot down. We're not going to answer this question here, but he was about to lose his mind.
Speaker 1: He's like, I just get just I want to strangle him right now because he doesn't want to go to Stanford.
Speaker 2: Like, at least convince him. Start at Stanford.
Speaker 1: Give this a go, Yeah, give it a shot. And then because you know he's going to forget about that girl.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, right, and then you could have a lifetime of regrets. And you get done.
Speaker 1: You get done, and safah, you're right about getting your degree is okay, you got a degree, but it's a different level at Stanford, and you graduate from Stanford.
Speaker 2: You write your own ticket, right, you just you're set. So he was, you know, very hospital about it.
Speaker 1: I was like, dude, you need to calm down first and not say anything for a little while and revisit this right.
Speaker 3: Why don't you suggest he do a research paper on Henderson State and get back. Maybe he's just misinformed.
Speaker 2: Maybe so, I don't know, but well, problems with parenting