Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the tech Talk Radio Network.
Speaker 2: All right, people, take out your notebooks and pencils and slide rolls. You're listen to the tech Talk Radio with true geeks and by the way, Eastsider and I'm a geek too.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 3: And I am slick.
Speaker 1: And it is good to see. It's like old times, buddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been away. Yeah, I've been busy. I've been trying to solve the world's problems. I've been trying to make a cup of coffee.
Speaker 1: I just thought about that before we said down. He's like, I need a cup of coffee. Is it brewing?
Speaker 3: At least it's well it should be. You know. I finally got me one of those cheap old uh uh the pod thing. What is it they curry the curate. They got one of those, but I mean it's the cheapy one though. I have to fill up the in the thing with a cup of water every.
Speaker 1: Time, right right, every time?
Speaker 3: Every time it doesn't have the canister in the back that holes you know, four or six whatever version of this is. Every time.
Speaker 1: Oh man, we've got one at the uh the super sale bin store and we've talked about them before. I don't know if you've been yet, but we got one for fifteen dollars that had the big reservoir in the back and the whole bit, and uh brought it home and then Gloria took it to work so it's used there because they didn't have one. And then once you know, the big currig we had that had a pot with it so you can make a pot of coffee. And then you had the K cup so you can make the CA cup version it had the big reservoir. It died. It finally just died. It was making a weird sound like a jet engine. So we went to h We went to go to wally World and bought one for fifty five bucks. But at least it'll hold enough water for three cake three K cups. It's you know, but if you have to replace it every time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one day, you know, one day I'll graduate up to something else. I did invest in that little basket that goes in where you can put in coffee. Oh yeah, yeah, I got one of those.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. Then that's good. Got to make your own because that's.
Speaker 3: Not getting there. I'm getting a little step at the time.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's why we used to like doing the show years ago. Those they may remember that we did the actually show from Roadrunner Coffee Remember that, Yeah, Yeah, it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, waitress over the days, man, a lot of the days.
Speaker 1: Yes, a slick on coffee is always great.
Speaker 3: Are you still going to the bin store that that you've been talking about?
Speaker 1: Hey, you know, it's been a little while. The last time I went there, I ended up buying a microphone, the fuf Fine microphone that I showed on TV, the RGB one.
Speaker 3: How is that, Mike? Have you usually what's the sound quality?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you. We got the Logitar Logitech ORB, which I like. Logitechniques great products, and then we got the fuf Fine and I put him next to each other. Now, the Fine microphone is UH connects. There's a USBC connector on the bottom of it connects via USB a UH and it's RGB so it gets its power and does RGB. So if you're on Twitch, you're if you're you know, doing an Instagram reel, it's gonna look good. And I thought, well, let's let's compare both of them and see the sound quality. Now you'll remind you the Logitech orb is a run around one hundred bucks, one hundred dollars, one hundred and twenty dollars microphone. It's small, round cube, it's very nice.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then the fine runs about fifty five bucks. They sounded almost the same.
Speaker 3: That's what scared me. I was afraid that would be the judgment.
Speaker 1: They sounded almost the same, to the point where if I was using the fora fine, I would be fine with using that in a podcast situation or you know, I obviously wouldn't do it for you know, professional radio or professional commercial production, but for for a zoom it would be great. It would be it would work.
Speaker 3: Heaven forbid your your peercu using a fifty five dollars microproblem.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought it was funny. So when I worked for I worked for a big organization called Westwood One, and I was doing radio broadcasters across the country. I would leave here the radio station KEGVY in the morning, I would go home and then I would record for stations in Pittsburgh and I would do stations in one I really love the station in Florida, Johnny owen Is station WOMP FM. I would do those, and I had about from what I understand, I think it was like seventy maybe seventy five stations that I would do and I would just do it right here in the studio that I'm in right now. And the thing is, they sent me an SM fifty eight when we were doing doing it from home, you know, because I would go normally, I would go into the radio station that's part of that organization, and I would do it there. And they had the RI twenties or RI twenty seven's microphones, which are pretty good. But they sent me an SM fifty eight, and I thought, this is like the workhorse microphone that you'll see the mobile DJs use. You'll see public address used, not really for broadcasting. So I ended up hooking on my SM seven B and I use that and it worked. It worked out good. But yeah, I mean the the f fine microphone. And again I saw two or three of those over at the super sale bin store. They worked pretty good. I found a lot of stuff there, Slick. I have found microphone arms. I have found ring lights.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're the ones for the table. You both to the table and okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got a little clamp. See clamp. You go ahead and clamp it right to the table. I found ring lights, you know, not the the the big lull ring lights that I have, but I mean all kinds of stuff. Tablets.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The tablet was kind of slow, but I gave it to my grandkid, so you know, go ahead and have fun with it. You'll break another one. It's like.
Speaker 3: When you say ring light, that's the one that I've seen people, what do I want to call them? They're doing the lifestyle thing with the phone all the time. They're always on the phone. Yeah, that's it. Yeah, shows one he's got. It's a circle light everyone, and he puts his there's a stand in the middle of it. That's where he puts his phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean it puts out pretty good light and it just gives you an overall fill type of light situation which looks good. Logitech has a light that I absolutely love that's on a stand and instead of it being a ring, it's a bar and it's a fluorescent bar light, and it just it looks really good and it gives you a good fill from either side, whereas the ring is kind of centered and you get that ring look in the on the eyeballs. If you've ever watched somebody in our creator that does videos. So it's okay.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm afraid to ask, what are you using your ring light for? Andy?
Speaker 1: You know what, I've used it twice for videos for like you know, for conference call videos.
Speaker 3: Just asking that I used to use all different things, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't have an only fans all right, So no.
Speaker 3: You know what, as crazy as it sounds, I know how this gon say, but I'm thinking about getting one just because of the web address, just because you know, just because of the earl, the universal resources.
Speaker 1: It would belong to you, everybody gets.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 1: It's funny because we used to recommend that back when you know, the web was really beginning. I mean, you know, back when we were in Palm Springs doing the show, and even you know, the early days with U Slick, we would talk about domains and we would say grab them, get every domain you can if you but you know, the cost of domains has gone up, so you're gonna find that, you know. But remember the companies like go Daddy, Host Kater, some of the companies out there that that sell domains, they'll sell you a domain, but they're gonna try and get it to you for five years. You can purchase a year and go year to year.
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I have done this before where I have watched a television show like King of Queens where they not they mentioned a web domain. I went online and looked, and nobody owned the domain. I'm thinking that's free advertising, And of course I bought the domain. I owned it for a little while and then I thought this is stupid. I got rid of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't make a profit on it.
Speaker 1: One I remember, not long ago there was Ann Wilson for President. Now, for those of you who know who Ann Wilson is, she is a member of the group Heart and back in the last election they she had put out shirts where somebody had put out shirts and Wilson for President with their photo on that. So I went and looked and sure enough, Ann Wilson for President dot com was totally available, and so I bought it. But I, you know, me being mister knisky, I ended appointing it to her official official domain. I don't think it's pointing. I don't think it's pointing anymore, but I still own the domain, but.
Speaker 3: You didn't get any credit for it because I did the same thing kind of some with some social media accounts. Gretchen Wilson, who hangs out with Big and Rich and remember that music mafia. She started her own label and I don't I'm trying to remember what it is. And I because I still.
Speaker 1: Might might have her own record label, right, yeah, record label.
Speaker 3: So I grabbed for you know, the Twitter at the time, that Twitter and Facebook and others. I grabbed the the name all those on those services for her. And I was holding it because I wanted to get it to her. But I never did get it to her, and I think her label folded anyway. I wanted to gran and and it's really because I have a thing for Gretchen Wilson.
Speaker 1: You were hoping this would be the gateway to meet her, you know, to offer up the domain. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Actually, and Rich once when they came to Tucson here and I told I told Kitty, I said, you got.
Speaker 1: Kenny could have done it. Yeah, yes, never happened.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Uh man, what a shame. But you know that that's the thing though, It makes you wonder. Okay, so we do we have all the gamut of domains for tech Talk radio. Of course, when we purchased the dobain over gosh over ten years ago, it was in Pump Springs. There was a gentleman that had tech talk dot com and nice guy uh. As a matter of fact, we we kind of went back and forth, and I believe he still may even own that domain, not sure. But then when we decided, okay, well let's go in the radio direction for it, we went ahead and did that. But of course we had to get all of them. We got biz gov oh yeah, yeah, dot org, well we didn't get gov, we got dot org, we got you know, dot net, the whole bit, and we've been playing. It's nice because when you buy a website generally, or when you get your hosting at least uh. We used to be with go Daddy, we were with Innerland before that, and then we're we're with the different domain company. Now you can buy a plan that will allow you to put sub domains in there. So what that means is, say, like even somebody listening here in Green Valley, you know Green Valley Bingo Club, so you have you know, Green Valley Bingo Club, and then you have you know Bingo Winners as a sub domain or the Green Valley b G or BC. So again you can have different variations of that domain name to all point to a domain or even a different website for that organization or that club. And the thing is is that all goes into one hosting plan and depending on the plan you get, you know, generally they're gonna cost you about three four five hundred dollars a year, depending on which company are with, what services you have with that, you know, you have backup services, the whole bit. We used to recommend that we get all the domains you can, you know, why not, But now things are different. People are not buying websites. You can even go to websites, and you know, you go to these companies and say, yeah, the website's not that important to us. What's important is social media.
Speaker 3: I guess. I mean, I like social media, but sometimes it just you know, and I tried to You're the one that got me really into because this was back in the days of MySpace. Oh you know, I was on I was on a radio station and a list of called and said, what's your MySpace? And I said, I don't. I don't have one. Yeah, you don't have one. You gotta get a MySpace. I got to MySpace. As we move forward in time, Andy, I told this story before Andy tells me, oh, you got to get on Facebook. Everybody's on Facebook. All of our peers are on Facebook. You gotta all right, Andy, So I get on Facebook, right, And he was right, he was right. But the networking purposes.
Speaker 1: I don't think we had an idea that MySpace was going to meld into to Facebook and Facebook was going to be the big, the big daddy of it all. It seemed like MySpace had it all. But then when you looked at you know how many connections you were making on on Facebook and there you know there are people who have been on Facebook that have left Facebook instead. I'm never going back on there again. There are problems still with Facebook, no matter no matter how you look at it. You know, you may report a fake account, you may report content that you should not be on there, and you're gonna get nothing from the company. They're just not going to do anything.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you and if this has happened to you, but to me and other of our radio brethren, we were locked out of our accounts be cause they didn't like the names we were using.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh you're not using a real name. Yes, It's like, how can you be called slick? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, I'm not using my birth name. I'm using my nickname as my nickname is what everybody calls me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that was a big problem for a lot of people in radio, and some celebrities were able to get around that with you know, their agents getting the accounts like on LinkedIn even you know, because you're supposed to use your one hundred percent real name, and a lot of people in radio, I know a lot of people, you know, they they don't they don't use the real name. I mean I went to broadcasting school with a guy whose last name was callis Vart He changed it to Michael's.
Speaker 3: Oh that makes sense, but.
Speaker 1: I mean that's that's exactly the whole. And then people couldn't get verified. You could get there's so many things to go through to try and get that, and you know, no matter what X does or Twitter or Facebook, you know, and then you've got other social media now, and you know, it's funny you look at the ages of people on Facebook.
Speaker 3: It is rare.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not gonna say rare, but you don't see as many of the under twenty year olds on Facebook as we saw maybe ten years ago. Yeah, they're all on Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok and some of the other the other services that are out there.
Speaker 3: And I kind of get that. I mean, there was a time and it was years ago, even when the reports were coming in that you know, Facebook is for old people. Okay, you know I get it because we we were on there and we were sticking with it. I get it.
Speaker 1: There was even a book do you remember that we had the authors on Facebook for seniors.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then so you know, eventually I did get the because of the Twitter I started. I get on Twitter because I need for the shortness of it, you know, I felt like I could just send out some short messages. Instagram I finally got on. Now here's the here's where you and I have diverged in the past and probably still currently. So Snapchat, I don't see the need or want or I don't get it. Don't get Snapchat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, it's really interesting how Snapchat works. And there are a lot of people that are actually now getting a little older now they're in their their twenties to thirties even early forties that are getting on Snapchat and then they will follow and they will you know, follow content. So again does that translate? So the whole purpose is so you got a website or you've got a product, you've got a service? Is that that that that link creating content or creating a flow of business for you the client? You just having fun, you know. I mean you saw the ad this past week, which actually kind of surprised me. I didn't know they were going to do this. If you remember last week on the show, we were Grace with Alison Gaciola, who is the new manager for the upcoming opening for Cursel and they're going to be opening at the two soon Mall and her people. The PR People is a company they have obviously it's not done out of the local store. They're the ones that reached out to and I wanted to talk about the grand opening. They had sent me the photo of Alison and I took the text and I put it on the photo and I use it and I explained you if they said on every interview we do on our website, we or the radio show, we like to have a picture of that person we're talking to. It's more personal, you know, whether it's uh, Bill Gates, you put a photo of them up there, or or Allison put a photo of her. So we did. They were happy that they they did that. When you know, the next day, I started seeing ads using that link and it wasn't linking to the audio only it linked right to our website, to tech talk Radio, and they said listen to the discussion with Alison. And I'm still seeing it. I've seen it on reels, I've seen it on Snapchat, I've seen it on Facebook, you know, And and I like that because that shows they have they have a service or a product, their new store. They want to get the word out about it, so they're sharing with people. Hey, come to listen to tech Talk Radio. You'll hear this interview, and hopefully it'll get us some people who will listen to the show on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Are you on TikTok?
Speaker 1: Yes, I am, and I am not. I'm just you know, it's funny. We've talked about the problems with TikTok and the information that's being shared, and I will not be on it for a while, and then I'll I've got it on my device. Some people say, don't. You shouldn't even have it in your device, and I'll open it up. And my cousin actually know, she's my niece. She's on it quite a bit and I like watching summer videos that she posts. And my daughters are on it. So you know, I can like, I can, I can like things, and once in a while I'll post something on there. But there are some people that say they won't they will not get on TikTok for that same reason I won't shop at Timu. Maybe that's the next step, but I I don't mind TikTok as much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I even tried to do I guess a lot of a lot of things I do offline and then try to make them available online. So there was a time, and it's still kind of technically that is the case. I don't have a cell phone service, don't pay for it. And I lost my Lifeline service, which was the free one that you know if you if you're poor, you can get that service. Well that went away. So then I wasn't online until I had access to Wi Fi. So there was something interesting I can't remember. I wish I could remember what it was I could tell you everybody, but I wanted to take a video. I wanted to record a video and share it with everyone because it was kind of interesting, not necessarily funny, but you'd be like, really those videos, and through the apps on my devices, I could not while offline record a video. I tried Instagram, I tried Facebook. I would have to use the camera function of the device, record the video and then upload it. I was under the impression these apps and services had set it up so you could just right through their interface record the video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it didn't let you record it on the device and then upload it right.
Speaker 3: That's the only way I was able to get it done. Really disappointed me. The way the instantaneousness.
Speaker 1: I will tell you about some I just checked out last week. I gave it a test, and if you've seen our video with Sean and I talking in that segment from last week, I was pretty impressed with it. Now I'm trying to justify the cost, and I don't know if I have yet, but here's what it is, called opus clips, and it's O P U S C L I P S And here's what you could do. And when we look at this day and age of social media and sharing video content, because honestly, a podcast is important, but video content rules that will you'll you'll probably get more views of video content on social media, you'll get a good following of podcast people that listen to podcasts like they do, listen to this one. But the video is pretty amazing. Here's what it does. So say, now we're we're doing a zoom chat. We could be doing a skype chat, or we could be doing you know, a wire cast bringing you in that way chat right, and you take that video after it's done, and you upload it to Opus clips. Opus clips goes through it and it takes about maybe I want to say, fifteen minutes, and it will take an hour, say an hour of us discussing, and it will then transcribe and give you clips based on the discussions you were having. So last week Sean and I were talking about the audio that they found from the eighties of talking about technology and computers and the internet, kind of like what we do. But this is in the eighties interviews with Bill Gates and other trendsetters, Timothy Leary in the tech world. But we talked about it and it took that and it turned it into a one minute clip of our discussion. It even and what it does is it takes it to the same the right ratio. The ratio that you're shooting like we're shooting in right now is generally, you know, nineteen twenty by twelve eighty, you could do seven twenty by four to eighty. But the ratio for TikTok videos, Instagram real videos, Facebook stories, YouTube stories or shorts is a different ratio. It looks like you're looking at a smartphone and it takes it puts it in that correct ratio. But say I move out of the frame. It uses AI to move the shots, so it follows me as I'm moving, crops the shot. It crops it and moves with it, and it uses AI to create the translation, AI to create the clip. The service itself is free. You could create for the first time just by using it free again, and then you can download the clips if you get the actual service, which is one hundred and seventy five dollars a year.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: You can then auto share, so you can auto share, so you create create one sequence and say I like this one, it can auto share them to Instagram reels TikTok snapchat to YouTube shorts, which is all that's where a lot of people are going to now for some of these short videos as YouTube. But it can do that all in one move and not bad. Now there's a plan that's fifteen dollars a month, or you can do the annual, which is a better savings because you'll get more storage, more features of that and opus clips. That just one of the companies. Now, when they first started out about a year ago, I think the reviews weren't that great. They weren't like one hundred percent. But it seems like people are absolutely using it a lot more and liking it. And again I was pretty impressed. Well we'll do that probably with this one.
Speaker 3: Oh I was thinking of it. Yeah, so you're out of a job.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah really Well, I you know slick, we've seen it. We have friends. They are web developers. You know that it changed. A lot of it changed. They would create websites. Now they would create websites in HTML. They have to learn WordPress, they had to learn Jumla, they had to learn some of these other languages that were out there for websites. They aren't all HML. We're still running an HTML website. We have a WordPress version. We just haven't officially decided to go in all in on it because the SEO on our site has been real good. So again, those are the things that you have to think about. But it is. It is putting people, creators, people who would edit that by themselves out of work. But it does it in record time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially now I've heard some of that, the AI replacements for us so to speak. Oh yeah, trying to create content and deliver it like we would when we're on the air and it boy is it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's a company called Odyssey and that's a U. D.
Speaker 3: A C. Y.
Speaker 1: I believe they were one of the first that said we're gonna we're gonna do this, that did that with a DJ play in music that's not even there. It's it's a AI created voice that but a lot of people said that they could hear that it wasn't a real person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because it's just like what something's not right? This is it? You could just you just feel like you know it.
Speaker 1: As Sean would say, the Uncanny Valley. I've seen ads on LinkedIn that I can tell you can tell if you look at them it's AI. It's the mouth. The face looks really good, the mouth is moving, it's a matching the words. But there's just something about it that might be off. That's because you're probably watching AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a social media site that I really did impress me. I mean, I see the value in it. I jumped on that one right away. Was LinkedIn, Yeah, because that's you know, that's like throwing your resume out there and then really really networking with with the professional people.
Speaker 1: But with every website and every bit or every social media you know, services out there, you do have to be careful still, especially in LinkedIn. There's a lot of scamming that goes on on LinkedIn because you you're sending your resume for a job you might not be and you're sending a lot of your info. Same goes with Facebook scams. The bump scam, I think is the most ridiculous thing in the world. If you've encountered the bump scam, We've talked about that before, where people put up an ad say this person's missing, and everybody shares it and they tell you please share, please share, and then once you've shared it so many times, it then gets replaced with an AD for real estate. They get paid based on that AD or they'll use it to actually rip people off. So wow, it means you have to you have to do a little and you have to do a little research.
Speaker 3: I have a confession. Since you brought that up, it just reminded me. So I do do some stuff for the government.
Speaker 1: For government, Yes, a government.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I have government access to an account and usually when they're they're doing the IT departments doing their fishing test or even if for real fishing comes through.
Speaker 1: Don't you love those tests? Yes?
Speaker 3: I catch them. I catch them in my personal accounts like Gmail and Yahoo and all this stuff, and I generally I catch them in my government accounts. I'm like this, this is stupid, but people click on them. Well within the this week this week when we came through and it had my my chief of staff's name in it. Really yeah, And and just the way it came through, I just was like, okay, let me open it up. Which was opening up was not the bad part about it. The bad part about it was because and because this has happened in the office. Usually I don't share anything funny of personal in my government account at all. I'll send it from my personal account. But we've gotten kind of a little loose at this office, right right, So you know, I wish I could say what it was because I don't remember what it was. But I'm like, all right, let me click on it.
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah, did yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I was zero for like five and now I got part.
Speaker 1: Oh man. You know it's it's important though, that everybody knows. I see it on next door. I'm on the next door service. I see where people say, you know, I got this thing. I clicked on it. And you know, people need to know do not click on things, whether it be from text or email. If you get an email from you know, you bank at Wells Fargo, you get an email from Wells Fargo, if you have to go to the branch or or call the number that is on the back of your debit card, give that extra layer of caution. Never click you something from the United States Postal Service. I want to deliver a package to you. That's another big scam. Uh. You need to be really really really careful about that because again that's the stuff that can financially hurt you. And again it's it's embarrassing.
Speaker 3: And everyone I claim to be really good at this. I mean I really was, because let me explain it. Whenever I get an email in I have my systems, my email services all set up, so you see, Hey, it's an email from Slick, right, I don't see that. I see it's an email from Slick, and I see the email address, and I wasn't again, wasn't paying attention. Had I looked at the email address, I would have known right off. I wouldn't know right off that it wasn't you know. Plus also I take that extra step of I have all my images turned off. People send me stuff all the time, say did you see it? No, I didn't see it. Why didn't you put something in there? And the text explained to me what it is? I'll get I get newsletters and even my office will send out a newsletter and it's all graphics. You know, it's nice. People love it. It's a great newsletter. It really is. But when it comes to me, if there what is it? Is it all text? Is that what they call it? Whether you put the text for the picture that describes what the picture is. Yes, you know, there'll be a lot of pictures, a lot of graphics, a lot of images, a lot of posters, a lot of flyers that I'll never see because I have images turned off and they didn't think to send me the text as well as that graphic, that image, that picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not everybody is going to look at images, pictures. They're not going to open documents there, and you should not open PDFs again, no matter who it's from, even if it says it's from your sister or your brother, think about it before you click. Really need to be careful about that. You know, it's a lot different when we just send you know, mail through the postal service. Email. It's faster and there are more there are more victims that can be out there, So you got to be really careful about that. We got to take quick break. You'll never believe the technology that is coming to your home, and it might be technology you just do not want to have in your home. Okay, I will tell you about that coming up. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm slick. You can find us on the world wide web at tech talk radio dot com. We'll be right back now, back to tech talk Radio. We like new technology on a slick. You like you like the new stuff.
Speaker 3: When I can afford it, always yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, here's something brand new that you could have for your home. And people are saying, but why why would you want to have this in your home. It's a technology that people have talked about for years, maybe even joked about. It could be yours for an introductory price for this month for one hundred and ninety nine cents. Are you ready?
Speaker 3: Okay? What is it?
Speaker 1: Smell a vision? Smell a vision is, yes, they did. Users could watch a romantic beach scene and can now smell the ocean and taste the salt in the air courtesy of the devices available from movie Scent. They say you'll have a deeper emotional connection to their favorite content, compatible with every movie and game ever made, as well as a white range of devices including all TVs, PCs, mobile phones, Dallas gaming systems, and virtual reality had sets.
Speaker 3: Andy, you don't know where my mind just went to, and you should not be surprised. So I'm in the theater. Yeah, yeah, I got one of my favorite movies up yet it yep, Blazing saddles.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, blazing saddles around the campfire. There you go, more beans, mister tiger. Oh boy. Boobcent dot Com could take on a whole new meeting. Uh, it'll start shipping this month for one hundred and seventy nine dollars ninety nine cent. You can go to moviescent dot com and Amazon dot com. That's a pretty expensive gag gift. If you're getting into a gag gift for somebody, I can see you right now. Somebody listening to the radio right now now is jumping onto the world Wide Web saying I gotta have this.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: They're saying that it will be available at all major retailers in the fall. I can't see Walmart carrying this movie Scent dot com.
Speaker 3: So if somebody's gonna buy it, they'll sell it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's just I don't think there should be some sense, like the trash compactor scene in Star Wars that should not be available.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't want to smell trash, you know. I don't want to smell that, you know. I mean I can imagine like from uh, with all the Fast and Furious movies, it'll be the smell of burning rubber. Oh yeah, yeah, see Good Fellas with the smell of cheap alcohol and cigar smoke, you know, in the in the casino scenes. I don't know, I just don't know. I don't know, are you thinking?
Speaker 3: No? I was trying to think of some of some other sensory things that could be done. I mean, we've had remember what we did with the movie Earthquake. They put those little shakers.
Speaker 1: In the Yeah. Yeah, they called that surround sound, which is still around our sense around, sense around. I remember the first time I had experienced that was Midway and the World War two movie, the original Midway, not the not the most recent one. There was one that came out with it had him gosh, oh god, I had a huge cast, Robert Bitcham, Burt Lancaster had a huge cast. Eric Estrada one of his first movies, and I remember my dad really wanted to see it and it was one of the movies you took me to the theater to go see, and we're in the lobby and it was a you know, single screen theater and that first the first bomb went off in the in the film, the whole theater shook and I had no idea what was going on. And you know, my dad grew up in London during World War two, and so he went through the bombings, you know, the raids in London and experienced it and said that it pretty much almost caused him to drop everything. The popcorn in soda, the whole bit was that realistic. They did a good job on that.
Speaker 3: I think the first one. I don't know if you remember this, because you know not, there's there's not many people who do. I think one of the first sensory how do we want to put this, uh, sensory featured movies in the theater. It was a black and white one, if anybody remembers, and there was I'm trying to think of the name of the guy he would did Michael Jackson's thriller No, No, the Voice, The Voice, Oh the Boy.
Speaker 1: Vincent Price, Thank You.
Speaker 3: It was a Vincent Price movie, right, And I remember this. It was called I'm surprised you don't know this The Tingler.
Speaker 1: Theer was black.
Speaker 3: And white movie because I heard stories of this. This was like the first sensory movie century featured movie. Basically, let's say it's a spine that comes alive, right, and it's cawling around, right spine a spine.
Speaker 1: Basically, Oh, that's just wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it goes dark in the movie, and the theater also goes dark. But then what happens is I think I don't know if it was some wires or string or whatever it was, because Vincent Price is saying, you know, hey, be careful, this thing is coming around. It could get you, and it don't let it grab you, because it was always grabbing somebody by the back of the neck. Oh man. Yeah, And this thing came up and touched people at the back of the neck. It could have been a little slide, electric shark, could have been a string. I don't know what it was, but he did that in the theater.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, the Tingler. Yeah, I'm gonna have to look. I'm gonna have to look for this one.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: There was a movie and I want to say it was I think it might have. Was it Top Secret? Do you remember the silly comedy movies. You had like Naked Gun Top Secret by the guys that do those, and they were making fun of that sensory experience in the theaters, and they had like somebody behind rubbing the shoulders of somebody. There's this scene in the movie if somebody's getting his shoulders rubbed, so they'd have somebody back there doing that, and it's really a silly sequence but I can't remember what movie it was, but yeah, they kind of made fun of that. House of Wax was one of the first three D movies, and I always thought this was funny. You're a little fact for us slick in cases ever comes up. Why did the director Andre de taf not be able to see the movie House of Wax and three D?
Speaker 3: Don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's thinking he was blind in one eye, and yeah, he could not experience the three D effect for the original House of Wax and something I learned in my days working at movieland Wax Museum. But there you go, smell a vision. If having a big screen isn't enough, now you can have the smells that could be associated with the movie.
Speaker 3: I just looked it up and the Tingler I was mentioning. It's called person and they did use like a little electric current.
Speaker 1: They actually shot you. Did they stop when somebody died.
Speaker 3: Here's the line, ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic, but scream. Scream for your lives. That was a part of the movie. If you scream, then you could do this thing would go away, right. The Tingler is loose in this theater.
Speaker 1: The Tingler. Great, So you would think something was that. I know that the most recent ABYSS movie that James Cameron put out, and I guess he's he's gonna do another one, they did something similar with the smell of the sea air and fans that would blow, like in certain scenes, up on people's legs to give them more of it experience, you know, because James Cameron's always been one of those that, well, not Abyss. It's not Abyss, it's the other one. I'm thinking of. What is the What is the other one with the world where the people were dressed up characters and Sigourney Weaver was in it?
Speaker 3: Uh recently?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what is that?
Speaker 3: I think I know what movie you're talking about. Was they had like a drive in city kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I didn't even see it. Yeah, yeah, what is the movie? Our listeners? Maybe the listener can help us, go ahead and send us a note that we'll we'll figure out what the movie is. But yeah, I'm I'm blood. But that's what he was doing, trying to bring that experience in for the theaters because something that the homes I guess couldn't offer.
Speaker 3: Hey, gang, we can't watch them all. We're not Ciskel and Ebert.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's gonna be bugging me. Now, what is the name of that movie? Somebody drop us, drop us the note tech guys at tech talk radio dot com or hit us on Facebook. Let us know what is that that movie that James Cameron put out a sequel to. He's gonna have another one as well.
Speaker 3: And somebody else is sitting back going who's Siskel and Ebert?
Speaker 1: Hey we're not that old. Uh So now you watch the segments on Fox eleven.
Speaker 3: Right, I do, yes, I do. Uh.
Speaker 1: The guy that I do the show with, you know, Andrew moved to San Antonio and is doing TV out there. Tyler Butler is the guy that I do the segments with. Now, very cool guy. Well, I don't know if you know this, but Tyler is a big flight sim guy. No, he's also very much into the world of trains. And if you get on out to the Gadsden Pacific Museum where they show, they have a model train set up and on Sundays you can get on out there. We've talked about it here on the station. Well, they now have a new game that's coming out September seventeenth, called Train Simworld five all right, and it's available for pre order on PlayStation, Xbox, PC platforms, and it has new routes or routes you can take across the UK, Germany and USA. Right, And I thought to myself, a trained sim how good is it going to look? It is absolutely amazing. The graphics on it are just phenomenal. Trainsimworld dot Com actually a trailer out for this, and I mean, I don't know, slick, if you want to pull that up while we're well, we're talking here train simworld dot Com. They're they're getting the games to look ultra realistic. And I was telling Tyler about this because I know he loves trains and it's something that he's definitely going to be checking out. But they have a trailer for the game that looks very cinematic, and these are this is the actual gameplay that you're going to be able to play in this. And if you like trains, uh, and you want to simulator, you know we've had you know, we've talked before about truck sims, We've talked talked about you know, flight sims, space sims. Train sims actually look pretty good.
Speaker 3: What do you think it looks into I think it's I richly do excuse me, I really do like trains.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was born and raised, you know, as a child in d C. And my great grandmother used to take me on Amtrak all the time. Oh wow, love Amtrak, right, just love it. But see this is I'm a little I mean, I've kind of gotten used to people like you who like flight sims, right, I mean I don't get it, but I mean, if you know, you're happy to sit there and play okay train, to me, a train sim is kind of gonna be the same thing. You're sitting in the cab and you're kind of just running down the rail and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you can you I mean, you could plan the routes, you could plan the sites to see, the stops to make and that's a whole of the idea of a sim You're gonna have different situations as in real life, similar to the sims themselves that became very popular, you know, where you had to create a world or they had not. They had a car simulator and I can't remember what that one was, but that one was actually pretty good as well. So yeah, knew I want to take a look at that again. That's trainsimworld dot Com, and one more before we take a break.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: If you're a gamer, Atari got a brand new console. The seventy eight hundred console remake actually play you'r Atari twenty six hundred cartridges. So if you've got the old Atari cartridges sitting in a box somewhere and you want to play them, you can do that with a new seventy eight hundred console remake.
Speaker 3: Do you know how much it costs?
Speaker 1: Not sure, it's gonna be out later on this year. I know it'll be cheap from what I've heard, it will be cheaper than an Xbox or a PlayStation. But again, the fact that you could repurpose your old twenty six hundred cartridges could be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I bought a portable Atari player, and then I remembered how bad the graphics were compared to today's, and I'm like, well, okay, this is not that much fun. So I don't think about that before you go ahead and invest. Remember the graphics gonna be a little different. All right, we can take another quick break. We'll come back with more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor and I am Slick. You can find us on X or Twitter at tech Talk Radio and now back to tech Talk Radio. We still haven't figured out the name of the movie. We were thinking about James Cameron.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, you know he's not going to happen this show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right again all right. So actually we were talking during the break about new products that are coming out, and there are some new ones that you may want to know about. Slick you get the rundown on a couple of those.
Speaker 3: Okay, follow me if you will have pens and paper handy, because this is gonna go. We're just gonna kind of blaze through this a little bit because it's it's coming fast, all right. So Huawei, that's the company. They spelled the h u a w e I and on on a post on a Chinese X like service or a Twitter like service called we Will. So they said they're going to hold a product launch event on September the tenth. It's really I'm going to tell you about the US time. Okay, so September the tenth in Beijing, September the ninth here in the United States West Coast time, oh oh, at eleven thirty pm. That rumor has it.
Speaker 1: A triple screen phone, a triple screen phone this rumor. Yeah, we don't get enough with two.
Speaker 3: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: Would you actually like a triple screen phone? Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I've actually I've tried to double screen large. Yeah, and then they work great for me because I can yeah, I can have one thing on one screen and one on the other.
Speaker 1: Right, all right, so triple screen phone in Huawei again it's spelled very strange. Of course, that'll be Android, that'll be the Android platform. I was thinking, though, is that time going to cut into Apple's big presentation which is coming up this Monday?
Speaker 3: But no, it was part of the point apparently to.
Speaker 1: Have it kind of follow up and get pressed up for their their because honestly, Apple's going to be, like we were thinking, maybe a new vision. We know the sixteen probably going to be announced officially, so we'll have to see what Apple does. And again that's coming up on Monday, so we'll be talking about that next week in the show.
Speaker 3: All right, what else I'm using the public beta iOS eighteen point one.
Speaker 1: You actually went for the beta? You're using it?
Speaker 3: I have a spare device, so I put it on there and it's okay. I mean, the one thing you were talking about that you really like. I think it was the Was it for the cards or security? It was something. When I say cards, I mean like you know, credit cards or something. Right, you you liked it? It's there, you know, it's okay, all right, I'll have to Yeah. Maybe also mac os sequoia I think is how you pronounce it? iOS eighteen right?
Speaker 1: And uh, maybe a new m chip I don't know.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard that. I have not heard about yet. But also what are they calling it? Where's the name Apple Intelligence? Their new AI that's going to wind up in the operating system for iPhones.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'll be honest with you. I've never been happy with Siri, have you? I mean, you know, and look, she didn't even wake up when I said her name.
Speaker 3: But I know a lot of people you use it. I rarely use it, I really do, because it just doesn't pull, doesn't pull what I'm looking for.
Speaker 1: Out of all of them, Siri, big spee, Uh there, Spidery woke up the Alexa devices, what would you say? Is probably the best out of them for me?
Speaker 3: Right now? I've got that that Google speaker. I don't remember what the model name of it, but I got the Google Speaker, and it has been really good to me about getting me the information I was looking for.
Speaker 1: I've had the best results with Google as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and you know I thought about getting one with a screen, but it the formats I didn't like. I do have that is I think Amazon vire TV fifteen. I got one of those, all right because the screen size and everybody, save your money, it's not as big as I thought it was. I mean it's you still have to be like kind of close to it, and I did you know it's kind of a fail.
Speaker 1: All right. Now you have another product too, other than that one.
Speaker 3: Well, we could talk about Android fifteen real quick if you want.
Speaker 1: All right, Android fifteen do you like?
Speaker 3: That? Is coming up and it's going to be available for pixels six through nine devices as well as let's say, Samsung Honor and all the other color tech phone. Android open source project is out, so the beta, if you will, is available to developers. Some of the new useful features include partial screen recording. M just see what that is?
Speaker 1: Part catching up.
Speaker 3: On this one though, satellite connectivity to send or received messages without cell service. Who did that was.
Speaker 1: An Apple thing?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, that was.
Speaker 3: Really nice too. That was cool, uh, predicted back Jef. More in app camera controls. You might like that low light boost and sensitive notifications for two FA codes two factor authentication codes.
Speaker 1: Nice that. I do think we need better security on devices, better security to protect them the whole bit. So yeah, that would be nice Android for the Android devices. I know the you know I've been I've Justin was telling us about him getting the Pixel nine and I'm thinking, maybe it's time to go Pixel Maybe it is. I've been Apple for a long time, and now I'm beginning to think maybe it's time.
Speaker 3: The only thing I like about Android is I can put on it. This is just a quick example of everybody. So I canenced all the Facebook app uh huh. But I can also install the Facebook Light app right next to it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know there are also other beta versions that you can install next on Android. You can install them next to it. What I found in my experience on iPhone on iOS is you know, you get the one.
Speaker 1: App that's it.
Speaker 3: It's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah boy, all right? You also had something on bang and Olafson. Is that how you pronounce it?
Speaker 3: Bang and olaside? You know, I love the equipment, and the audio equipment is good. But so they got a new headset out bo Play h one hundred advanced DOBE at most headphones whatever that means, you haven't experienced it. I don't know if it's good. Titanium drivers, right. Every purchase, this, this is what I'm excited about. Every purchase includes an exclusive leather pouch to protect and carry your headphones in style.
Speaker 1: Oh there you go. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And since my birthday is going to be Saturday, Andy, it's all gonna run you about fifteen hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: Perfect bang, Oh my lord, fifteen dollars for a pair of headphones. I love you too, Yeah, fifteen hundred bucks. So some people maybe wonder what headphones do you use now?
Speaker 3: I really I haven't invested in Usually when I use headphones. When I invest in, I invest in radio centric headphones for broadcasts, right, which I know are open to We use Sennheisers. Some of the songs have been good to us as well. U costs costs was good?
Speaker 1: Oh cost yeah, costs audio, Yeah they're good too. The Sennheisers have been always a winner. Uh still series. I still think even you know, maybe you would not use that for broadcasts I willever have. However, you could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you got us headphones from a still series and you got us various ones, those had the best microphone. I loved using those for our shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I loved it. It's interesting too, because I've been doing a program with the on the reservations uh Healo River Reservations on podcasting and talking to middle middle school students and some older students about the possibilities of podcasting and how easy it can be, and showing them various technologies that were available. And I've taken the microphones that we have in the studio. I've taken a microphone that i've that fuffy microphone that I bought at the bin store. But the ones that they liked the best were the headphone microphone combo.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They didn't want to talk into a microphone. It's a little you know, it can be a little intimidating, but to have a headphone, to have the microphone that pulls out from the headphone, like the new Steel series or even the Logitech devices, they that they actually really liked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, depending on the studio configuration that you and I are in at the time, depends on which microphone. I will I like a mic on a boone, the standard broadcast microphone. That is cool. However, if I need to move around to get the buttons on an equipment and you know, still let's say queup a tape. Oh we used to cube tapes and you know, just to push a button on a machine over here or something. I need to be able to walk around that room with the headset on, the headphones on, with a mic on the heads on, the headphones.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. All right, another quick break, we come back. We've got more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor and I am Slick. You can follow us on the Facebook tech Talkers. You'll find us there. And now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 2: Good right, the science guy here whatever I am listening to the radio, especially tech.
Speaker 1: Talk Radio, our Slick has got something cool to tell us about that you may want to try. And it all deals with firestick. But I hadn't heard about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. This is a replacement for a website of the week for this particular show. All right, So if you have and follow me with this, if you have an Amazon Echo show ten, okay, look it up.
Speaker 1: If I think I have one of those, Yeah.
Speaker 3: With the screen yeah, okay, and also an Amazon Echo Show fifteen that's the big portable one that they have, and the Amazon Fire TV Stick four K max. Let me just let's just say that's the the most expensive one they have, the stick. Right, then you have access to what's called the Fire TV Ambient Experience. Now what that means is you can set up on your screen stuff for you to look at, like a weather forecast, a calendar. I'm trying to think of some of the other stuff on here. You get news headlines on there. You can set up notes. I have sticky notes. Can you tell it?
Speaker 1: Can you tell it which news headlines? If I want technology, entertainment, science, I can do that.
Speaker 3: I don't remember. If you can do the interface, I'm gonna say no. I mean it might be possible, but I'm going to say off the time, I had no.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right? And how easy is this to set up?
Speaker 3: It's it's very easy because you can do it through your Alexa app on your phone. Right, That's how you set it up, and then it you know it just said, Then it sends the information over to the screens, whether it's on your your show ten, you show fifteen, or that's that particular firestick, because I actually set up that fire stick for someone and I was just amazed. I was very jealous, very jealous because they have a large screen TV, and I mean you can see it, you can read it from across the room with these other screens. For me, I have to you know, I have to come up on it or put glasses on it something. But it's great to me if you have it like up in the bedroom. Let's say it across from the band. It's wonderful. Man.
Speaker 1: Oh all right, cool, I like that. Where can we get more info about it?
Speaker 3: Amazon dot com? Just look at the most expensive fire stick. That's that's the easiest way to find. It's the fire fire for fire TV four K max.
Speaker 1: Perfect. And I'm gonna say something. I'm gonna say one word to you, Slick that's gonna make you go. That's it. That's it. Avatar, Avatar, Avatar the movie. That's the movie you've been thinking about.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: All right, Well to thank everybody for tuning in to the show. You can find us on the worldwide web at tech talk radio dot com. Check out video for the show. Even though it goes out of focus once in a while while it's not us, it's you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's my camera. I still got one of the little cheap old USB you know cameras.
Speaker 1: We'll get you a better camera and early happy birthday to you is like.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, some some cash, No wait, a kidnap the headphones. Yeah, fifteen hundred, that's what. That's what we're starting at one fifty right now. That's all. That's all we got.
Speaker 1: Perfect, all right, have yourselves a great week again. Fight is the Tech talk radio dot com. Take care