Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty the Bill Handles Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, here's Wayne Resnick.
Speaker 1: Kf I AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Good Morning, It is the Bill Handle Show. He's back from vacation on Monday. Apologies to Mike Myers, who won't be getting those Sweet Sweet Wayne's World theme royalties after this Friday because I will be retiring from radio. So you're listening to the final three? Wayne Resnick hosted what do you ever recall them?
Speaker 2: Shifts? All right? Good bungled?
Speaker 1: It could have been great, could have been a great statement.
Speaker 2: Ended up garbage? What does that sound like? Good morning, MICHELLEQ.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I say things listen normally. I've been a person who yells and screams when a host says something that's only for the benefit of the other people.
Speaker 2: In the studio and excluding you.
Speaker 1: The most important person in a radio station is not in a radio station. The most important person for a radio station is you listening. And I've been the first one to point the finger and tell people not to do it and force them to explain themselves. However, from now through Friday, I'm probably say a few things that are for the band.
Speaker 2: So good morning, Michelle Cube, good morning, and Michael.
Speaker 1: Monks is here in for Amy King. Happy new Year to you, and good morning also morning, Happy new year to you. Happy pending retirement. Say you very much. Now, thank you. Now, even though I've been doing this for thirty three years, you.
Speaker 2: Can still have a new.
Speaker 1: Experience in life, because I'm pretty sure sam Zia in for Kono. We have never worked a shift together before, have we?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: We've passed each other in the hallways once in a while, but that yeah, this is the first time.
Speaker 1: Well that's all right, Hey you haven't you haven't worked with me yet. Maybe by the end of the shift you'll be glad. All right, everybody. The big story of the day is unfortunately one of those stories that I don't like to talk about, just so you know. However, people are entitled to know when things happen and what happens. So we're gonna start handle on the news and we're gonna try to give you what we need to but no more than that. It's uh, here we go, Michael Monks and me handle on the news.
Speaker 2: This is the lead story.
Speaker 1: It absolutely there was somebody drove a car into a crowd of people celebrating New Year's in New Orleans and then got out of the car after hitting many many people, got out of the car and started firing a gun and he was engaged then in a shootout with police. And the aftermath of all of this is that at least ten people are dead and thirty others possibly more at this point injured, two police officers injured, and the perpetrator dead, apparently at the hands of police during that shootout. This was a car with Texas license plates. Witnesses reported that it was clear that this was deliberate. You have had situations where a car plows into people. Remember it was the Santa Monica Farmer's Market, I believe, and a car plowed through a bunch of people, But that was not intentional. That was some old guy, and I forgot if he had a medical incident when it happened or he just it was super old guy driving. But he was not trying to do anything wrong. And it was a tragedy. And this is somebody who wanted to cause a tragedy. We don't know anything yet about who it is. We certainly don't know anything about why specifically. The FBI is now involved in the investigation. There's been some reports that they also found at least one improvised explosive device in the French quarter. That's something we're gonna want to fill in with some more information as it comes in. And there is a press conference coming up. They had one press conference, and I'm told I'm not gonna lie I didn't hear the press conference because I was reading all the other stuff for the show. But I'm told by Michelle Cube that this is one of the rare press conferences where they came out and they just started giving information and they didn't waste everybody's time with five to ten minutes of glad handing. So only because I was told they don't waste our time with their press conferences. When that press conference happens, if it happens before nine o'clock our time, we will dip into it and see what new information they may have for us on this terrible, terrible event.
Speaker 2: Terrible.
Speaker 5: They say the guy was hell bent on carnage. That was a quote from the official and the mayor has called it a terrorist attack, So just a terrible thing to happen in the French Quarter, in iconic location in America, but obviously especially important to New Orleans, where there's a big football game today, so big crowds down there celebrating the new year, and one of the quarterfinals for the college football Playoff is also taking place there, so a lot of visitors were probably in that area. Meanwhile, in Times Square in New York, as New Year's Day was approaching, the weather didn't really cooperate. And you know, in the New York LA rivalry, Wayne New York claims a lot of victories, but one thing they just can't ever beat LA on is the weather.
Speaker 2: We would never have this kind of problem on a New Year's Eve.
Speaker 1: No, we only have record dryness and drought and red flag warnings.
Speaker 2: That's what we have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just want to say, I don't think it's clear that we're the winners necessarily because they got rained on.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're the winners.
Speaker 5: They've got a better park, they've got a better transit system, they've got more walkable neighborhoods.
Speaker 2: You know, but man, they'll never beat our weather ever.
Speaker 5: So yeah, a lot of rainy scenes there in Times Square, right, dry boy.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it rained on Times Square revelers.
Speaker 1: Where by the way, as a side note, it's not in this story. Somebody paid sixty eight thousand dollars for a table at the Applebee's so they could sit at the Applebee's in Times Square and look at the festivities and not stand out on the rainy sidewalk with the commoners.
Speaker 5: There's one time a year where Applebee's, America's favorite neighbor, is the hottest seed in Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, so the rose Parade is happening today and it's not going to be rained on, and there will be a milestone moment in this parade.
Speaker 2: When you see the float.
Speaker 1: From the Loch Kenyata flint Ridge Tournament of Roses Association, you will notice a few things.
Speaker 2: You will notice that it has a space theme.
Speaker 1: It is called Rover Rendezvous, and it has a depiction of a rover on the planet Mars, on the surface of Mars. You will also notice apparently there's some weird alien creatures there that appear to be coming out of the surface of Mars.
Speaker 2: But there's something.
Speaker 1: About it you will not notice that is historical and revolutionary, and that is that float, unlike all the other ones that you will see today. That float is using eighty five percent electric power. It has but a single combustion engine, whereas all the other floats all of their power comes from combustion engines.
Speaker 2: That's kind of here, you go, let's get a little fat.
Speaker 1: I mean, they should move, they should, they should move towards that. Somebody's proven, somebody's proven you can make great strides and having these floats run on electric power.
Speaker 2: So maybe next year we'll see a lot more of it.
Speaker 1: You want to know another car, Yes, right after I make this observation, because once in a while, if you if you're down there at the parade, once in a while, you will get a face full of you know that when the when it belches, when a float belches, some exhaust and that wouldn't happen otherwise.
Speaker 2: Yes, what's another fun fact.
Speaker 3: There are thirty nine floats in the Rose Parade. Twenty one of them are covered in flowers that come from Columbia, that are grown on this beautiful mountain in Columbia over like six thousand feet you know whatever it's and it's been like that since the Rose Parade started.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, Columbia is the outsized contributor of flowers to the Rose Parade. They're the they are to Rose Parade flowers what California is to almonds. All right, let's get some news from Michael Munk said, we will continue handle on the news. This is the Bill Handles Show, KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio apps, The Bill handle Show. And he's back from vacation on Monday. Wayne Resnik's sitting in and I have just experienced the biggest tragedy that one can experience when working in radio. And the tragedy is when you have to come back from the break before your k cup has fully brewed, and you have to abandon it and leave it. Oh no, And it will obviously be room temperature by the end of this segment, Man oh Man.
Speaker 2: Something you'll never have to worry about again when you retire. That's a good point.
Speaker 1: You think that people who got rained on in Times Square for New Year's Eve are bummed?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into some handle on the news with Mike and me.
Speaker 2: And you know what, you were pooh poohing the rain in New York. But maybe it would be helpful.
Speaker 5: Right now, it couldn't hurt because goodness knows, we brag about it never raining in southern California, but that's not a good thing when we're always on fire. We had another fire this morning in Pacific Palisades. It started just after midnight, and it grew relatively fast, from about three or four acres to eight or nine acres.
Speaker 2: But the firefighters did a good job.
Speaker 5: They got on this thing really really quickly. In both La City Fire and La County Fire were attacking this thing from the air, and now they think they have stopped the forward progress of it. So that's good news, because this is a fire in the Pacific Palisades that really could have threatened some homes there. They never got to the point of evacuating anybody or sending out those kinds of warnings.
Speaker 2: But not that far from where people live, all right.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, a little farther away in Puerto Rico, imagine New Year's Eve with no power. Now imagine it being almost everybody.
Speaker 2: In your territory.
Speaker 1: A massive blackout hit a so much of Puerto Rico. Power is still out for most of the affected people. They are bringing people back online at a respectable clip. But when that many people lose, when hundreds of thousands of people lose power, what are you going to do? They restored the first restoration was forty four thousand, seven hundred customers, and that's three percent.
Speaker 2: Of how many people are affected.
Speaker 1: They're getting people on if they keep the same pace, because two hours later they were up to seventy three thousand. Let's say they can keep getting thirty three thirty five thousand people every two hours online, It's going to take them a long time to restore power. And it's not like they've enjoyed a problem free power grid until now. Because wasn't it just in August that Ernesto hit it? Yeah, Tropical storm er Nesto hit Puerto Rico and like half of Puerto Rico lost their power.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that just this August? Yeah? Was this so actually last? Well last year?
Speaker 1: But because it's only been this year for one day, See, we're gonna be getting that wrong, or I'll be getting that wrong for a little bit. I'm gonna say this year when technically it was twenty twenty four, But wasn't it just it's still last August? Though yes, it's still the most recent August that this happened to those poor people.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I hope they can get it up as soon as possible. So I think Michelle has set me up here.
Speaker 5: She must have known I was going to brag about La Weather, and then I get all these weather stories that show that things are not great here just just because it's warm and nice in the winter time. So apparently this was the driest, the second driest period in history for law angels. I know that I was going through bottles of lotion, and apparently it's also due to Lanina, and you know, we had historic rainfall. But in spite of all of that, the second driest period in history, they blame on that weather phenomena La Nina. And what my understanding is from the National Weather Service, anytime that we have a La Nina event, these are trade winds that are stronger than usual and they push more warm water toward Asia and off the west coast of the US, which is US California, there's an increase in upwelling, which brings cold, nutrient rich water to the surface, and those cold waters, in turn in the Pacific, push the jet stream north and tend to lead to drought.
Speaker 3: It's just crazy because at the beginning of the year we had all of that rain, like that crazy rain.
Speaker 2: We're like, oh my god, there's so much rain, there's so much rain.
Speaker 3: But then between May and December we get like no rain, and now all of a sudden dripe.
Speaker 5: It's so dry. Is this why I have to constantly put on this hand salve?
Speaker 2: Is it in the air? Do I feel that? Or am I just old?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: The relative humidity is extremely low right now? Yeah, I mean the only people who don't need who don't need lotion right now are people who do nothing but drink.
Speaker 2: Olive oil all day. Nice. Other than that, you're gonna need it right now, all right.
Speaker 1: Metro bus drivers are protected from people attacking them by protective barriers. Metro has finalized the installation of these barriers. So now that means every single bus has the shatter resistant or I think shatter proof actually tempered glass and steel barriers. Now here's the thing I don't understand. We knew there was a problem, right Remember every day there was a story about somebody attacked the bus. They get punched, they get grabbed, people throw things at them, They get spit on, so they put this stuff in.
Speaker 2: And never mind.
Speaker 1: By the way, when I say there's something I don't understand, I figured it out because I'm dumb. But I what I have is short term dumbness, and then I get I get normal again. They're saying these things are already helping on buses equipped with the barriers. No, no, no, I'm back to not understanding it. On buses equipped with the barriers. From April to September of twenty twenty four last year, technically, drivers were fifty eight percent less likely to be assaulted.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't that be one hundred percent?
Speaker 1: Would if and when I said I didn't understand it it was this, Then I thought, oh, you know, there's a period of time where not every bus had one. So if they mean overall in their system, drivers were fifty eight percent less likely because let's say fifty eight percent of the buses had barriers.
Speaker 2: Oh that makes sense.
Speaker 1: But now they're saying on buses with the barriers, maybe it's maybe who it's the article that's written.
Speaker 2: I think it might be you have a.
Speaker 1: Barrier like that. How are you getting assaulted? They did reply.
Speaker 5: I attended the metro board meeting that discussed some of these stats a little while ago before they completed this project, and they did note that, you know, since they started this project that this salts were down, the spitting was down. It's crazy to think how many spitting incidents there were. But yes, I think the phrasing of the stats in the context of yesterday's news that they've got them on all the buses now made it a little confusing because I did a double take at that when it came across the wire as well.
Speaker 1: Or they're or they're considering maybe people are still pounding on the thing or spitting on the thing. The drivers okay, but they're still considering that an assault. It could be that would you say this, Metro, just Metro, listen to me right now. Get in your car, drive to thirty four hundred West Olive Avenue at Burbank, figure out how to get in the building. Michelle, go down and wait in front of the building on the outside, so that when they drive, when Metro drives up, you bring them up there so I can ask them what the hell they mean?
Speaker 2: I will go wait, thank you.
Speaker 5: Just don't assault them, Okay, they're trying to get past this, so don't take your anger out on them. They're just hard working people.
Speaker 1: Let's get some news from Michael Monks and we'll continue Handle on the news right here on KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six four.
Speaker 1: KFIM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. It's the Bill Hendel Show, and he's back from vacation on Monday. Wayne Resmiks sitting in. We're doing Handle on the news for you, Michael Monks and me. And I'm surprised it took them this long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Ukraine ending its supply of Russian gas to Europe. This was making good on a promise that it said it would do. It would stop transporting Russian gas to Europe through its territory, and that deal that it had with Moscow went away on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I don't know what this means.
Speaker 5: I'm not a geopolitical expert on Eastern Europe, and we know that we've got a new president coming into this country. You might have different feelings about that situation, but what does this mean for Europe?
Speaker 2: What does it mean for Ukraine?
Speaker 5: What does it mean for Russia and maybe most importantly, what does it mean for that ongoing conflict there. Ukraine will now face the loss of some eight hundred million dollars a year in transit fees. So they're costing themselves, I guess a bit.
Speaker 1: But they're costing they're costing Russia more because gas Prom will which is the Russian gas Russian government owned gas concern, will lose five billion dollars in gas sales.
Speaker 2: Europe will be fine.
Speaker 1: There's enough non Russian origin gas that can come into Europe from alternative routes, so it's not going to be a crisis for Europe. What I'm saying to you is a long time ago they had a deal, we'll move your gas through Ukraine and you'll pay us, you know, we'll get a cut. And then Russia attacked them and has been bombing them and all this time when we've seen although notice we're not paying that much attention anymore, certainly not on a daily basis to this war, but it's still a war going on. But even during the time when every day they bomb and they did this, and they were still honoring their agreement with the company that is bombing the crap out of them.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know to whether to.
Speaker 1: Admire them or you know, slap Zelenski upside the head for being a weirdo about it.
Speaker 5: So now we're beating up metro drivers and international leaders. Wayne, you gotta long this before you leave. Put him on a metro bus and I can't get at him. All Right, ladies and gentlemen, here we go.
Speaker 1: Finally, sheesh man, I've been screaming about this for you know, Michelle, how long I've been screaming about the California didn't have a state crustacean or an official state slug or an official state seashell.
Speaker 2: I remember remember during the O. J.
Speaker 1: Simpson trial, and I would come on the air and refuse to talk about what was happening at the trial because I went on hours long ranch that we did didn't have a state slug. Well, finally we do, ladies and gentlemen, Governor Gavin whoso signed laws and as of today, California's official state crustacean is the dungeonis crab, the official.
Speaker 7: State slug of California is the Banana slug, and the official state sea show of California is the black abaloney.
Speaker 1: These are all fine choices. I have no complaints. Yes, good job everybody picking those things. You know, the banana slug obviously because you see Santa Cruz's mascot is a banana slug named Sammy the Slug, so we know that he kind of There was no way the banana slug was not gonna win the slug contest, the slugfest, if you will, to become the state slug.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know the competition.
Speaker 1: The dungeon is crab lobby must have really greased some palms. And the black abalony. That's Have you ever seen a black cabalony shell? They're gorgeous. No, I've never seen gorgeous. Yeah, they're very pretty. And you're just looking at a photo of one. Yeah, yeah, I'd like to have one.
Speaker 2: Wish one? Would you rather eat? No, I'm not eating any oh oh of these? The crab.
Speaker 5: You have to eat the crab, right, you don't think the bananas banana slug and you can.
Speaker 1: And if you try to eat a shell, it's not it's not that the abalony is some kind of official state animal. The muscle part of it, the shell is the official shell.
Speaker 2: I'm not eating a shell, So you're going for that crab.
Speaker 1: Kiss Well, let's why are you even confirming my choice like that? There's any other possible answer I had to tell.
Speaker 2: Ever, none of them.
Speaker 1: I guess somebody might say I don't eat it, any of them because I'm vegan or something.
Speaker 2: I detected a little insincerity, that's all.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm lying that I would eat the crab and not a slug. I'm lying about it, you know, I'm seeing it in my mind. I'm like, man, I would be all over eating that slug. I'd be throwing that slug on that traeger. I'd be marinating that slug and basting that slug. And that's what I'm thinking in my head. That's what you think. And then I'm like, no, no, I better say crab. I better say crab. It sounds like something somebody who would eat a slug would say. Oh, I don't appreciate your accusations, and I don't appreciate your insinuations. If they're not accusations, they're either accusations or insinuations.
Speaker 2: Will you agree with that? I will?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I don't appreciate whichever one they are. I don't appreciate them, and now your punishment is to have to tell us about a monkey in a car.
Speaker 2: Let's get down to that monkey business.
Speaker 5: Speaking of bananas, this spider monkey was found in a Rolls Royce on a highway here in California.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Madera County, a Rolls Royce. So picture who's driver's license was suspended?
Speaker 5: Exactly, Yeah, the driver the spider monkey was no longer allowed to drive anywhere. Let's establish the fact that you are not allowed to have a pet spider monkey in the state of California. I have asked before, and now it's been confirmed by this news. You cannot have a spider monkey in the state of California.
Speaker 2: But if you are rich enough, I guess to driver Rolls Royce, you.
Speaker 5: Can perhaps find back doors into certain cages and walk away with a pet. So this guy driving this Rolls Royce is pulled over for drunk driving, and inside the fancy car, the California Highway Patrol officer finds a spider monkey. Be so cute, believe to be only a month old.
Speaker 1: He's so cute and and wearing a one We're looking adorable.
Speaker 2: So cute, and I think there.
Speaker 1: Was Is this correct or not? Please if I'm wrong? There also was some marijuana in.
Speaker 3: The Yes, this story doesn't say it, but I did see another story that did say yes.
Speaker 2: There was.
Speaker 1: Actually it does say it. There possession. He was arrested for DUI. There's a possession.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, you know, when you get to Rolls.
Speaker 1: Royce Ghost driving level in your life, you're not like the rest of us.
Speaker 2: Not much that car costs. Do you know how much of that monkey call Rose Royce Ghost. I don't know. I'd never have one, so I should, I know.
Speaker 3: And seventy thousand dollars at the low part of it.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: I mean if you're if you would never I would never want to be driving around in a car that expensive, which must mean that expensive to repair. God forbid there's an accident. Why would I want that pressure all the time. By the way, I just want to say something because you know, we're ragging on this guy for breaking the law because you're not supposed to have a spider monkey pet. But what if it turns out the spider monkey is his employee?
Speaker 2: Oh? Is that illegal?
Speaker 4: It's a month that sounds like it's violating some laws.
Speaker 1: You're gonna you're gonna, you're gonna miss You're gonna miss this.
Speaker 2: Mind what happened to the monkey? Like, what did they did? They they had to give it to uh impounded. Yeah, but they gave him to a zoo.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I was gonna say he didn't just like go to animal control.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, okay, no, all right. If he was an employee, yes, you correctly called it, Monks. If if he was an employee, he would be entitled to a higher minimum wage now, which we will get the details of after some news.
Speaker 2: From Michael Monks. This is the Bill Handle Show. Kf I Am six.
Speaker 1: Forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Kf I Am six forty Live everywhere on the iHeart Radio app. This is the Bill Handle Show. He's on vacation, he's back on Monday. Wayne Resnik's sitting in until nine o'clock. Michelle, the email you just forward forwarded to me.
Speaker 2: Woof, woof.
Speaker 1: And we're doing handle on the news. We're doing handle on the news with Michael Monks and me. And the minimum wage in California is now sixteen fifty an hour all across the state.
Speaker 2: Yes, even you Shasta County.
Speaker 1: But of course there are some municipalities in the state that mandate an even hire minimum wage, and so for people in those cities, this doesn't make any difference. Like right here in Los Angeles, we're in Burbank, but still right here in Los Angeles minimum wages seventeen twenty eight an hour. In La County, the unincorporated parts, the minimum wage is seventeen twenty seven.
Speaker 2: You cheap skates.
Speaker 1: Malibu at seventeen twenty seven. Pasadena it's seventeen fifty. Let's flip all the cards. West Hollywood is the place to have a minimum wage job because starting today, the minimum wage in West Hollywood is nineteen dollars and sixty five cents an hour.
Speaker 2: Wow. That's that's wow. That's good. I didn't really prevary so much, well.
Speaker 1: Because municipalities can set their their own minimum wage as long as it's higher than the prevailing state minimum wage, which also can be set by the state as long as it's higher the same or higher than the prevailing federal minimum wage.
Speaker 2: Got it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And if you are only making minimum wage, it's not as easy to afford the tolls. Am I right now? If you get a that was see. That was my attempt to do one of Wayne's teaser or transitions.
Speaker 2: Are you are you the hold on? I'm not going to be southering end to replace you, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Are you the are you the MC right now? Or are you the feature act? I think I'm the filler act? When things go how long into this how long into this evening? At the improv are.
Speaker 2: We my boats?
Speaker 5: Hie, I'm gonna straighten that up and get it ready and get the old baton out and I'll twirl that for a while for our audience. Trolling a baton on the radio is very good content. By the way, Let's talk about a scam involving tolls in northern California. We all know these scams are getting more and more sophisticated. It used to be harder for older people to recognize an email or a phone call as fraudulent, but now it doesn't seem to matter.
Speaker 2: I mean, they look real.
Speaker 5: They come to you as a text message, they come in your mail, your your physical mail, your email, and now there's a text message claiming that you owe an outstanding amount of money for a toll road that you drove on, and it is apparently a phishing scam. That's a pH shing and the sample looks like please pay the Fast Track Laying toll on November twenty one, twenty twenty four, to avoid penalties and ensure you get your driver's license. You can pay at that It gives you a link. So when you click on that link, that's when you find yourself in trouble. Now the toll operators. I'll say, this is not coming from us, but man, every time you turn around there's a new scam that looks believable and.
Speaker 1: Scary, except that the number it comes from has like one hundred and seventeen digits in it.
Speaker 2: Or the language.
Speaker 5: Maybe the language is a little off, the punctuation and all of that, but I think we've all gotten so bad with language through our text messaging and all that it's really hard to recognize. And really they can mirror some phone numbers. I once got a call from a local sheriff back home in Kentucky that I had to do a lot of calling around and searching before I was confident that I had not actually been contacted by the sheriff's department.
Speaker 2: Even the phone number looked real. What did you do well.
Speaker 5: You know, being in the news business, you have some sources inside of these departments. So I was able to at least call some people I knew, but they were telling me, you know, you got to come down and deal with this court thing. And the number when I googled the number that popped up on my phone, it absolutely was the Kenton County Sheriff's office. And so that was that's when I knew things had taken a turn, because it had gotten me.
Speaker 2: And I'm ungettable. Well apparently not.
Speaker 1: Based on this story you just told us five seconds ago you slug eating soob.
Speaker 2: Hey, look listen, the.
Speaker 1: FAA, drone companies and drone enthusiasts all agree, you're not supposed to shoot down drones.
Speaker 2: Don't do it. It's a crime.
Speaker 1: Now, the latest person to publicly put out this warning to people is Stephen Katz, who's the vice president of Flying Lion, which is the biggest drone service in LA. He's saying, absolutely, do not shoot down drones. Here's here's the thing. So if you shoot at a drone, as far as the FEDS are concerned, this is the same seriousness of a crime as if you shot at a passenger aircraft.
Speaker 2: To share. You understand. Yes, it's the same statute.
Speaker 1: So it's a big deal. And what I'm trying to say is it's a big deal. It's not some namby pamby little law like you shot at a done five hundred dollars fine, No, no, no, no no, it's big, big, big trouble for you.
Speaker 2: Can I think rocky think this is coming up? Can I throw rocks at it?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Can I throw a stick?
Speaker 6: Poke it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I'm not joking. One of somebody was flying.
Speaker 4: A drone outside of my my apartment and it came down over the balcony like they were trying to spy on and I wanted to open the window and smack it with the broomstick and took off.
Speaker 2: I would have been in trouble.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, to be honest, I don't think the FEDS would come after you for throwing a rock or a stick at it, but you could still be liable for damage to the drone. Here are the here's a list of things you are allowed to do to a drone. Flip it off, give it a withering glare, shoe it away, do the yeah, do the handwave to go away, hide from it, so it cannot see you, thus thwarting its point. And in certain cases, in certain parts of La County, you are allowed to take a sharpie and draw a funny must stash on it, and that's about it.
Speaker 2: Can your spider monkey fly it? No, you can't throw a blanket over it. You know, if it comes.
Speaker 1: If it comes, if it were to come onto your private property, you do have more leeway. Okay, But what this is all happening because of the drone sightings in New Jersey and here in California.
Speaker 2: That's what this is really all about.
Speaker 1: So people are seeing drones like over there, if they're not on their property. You can't be shooting guns because people were like bam. And of course the kind of person who would shoot a gun at a drone is invariably the kind of person who is not good enough with a gun to hit a drone.
Speaker 2: All right, that is handle on the news cut.
Speaker 1: I feel like there was something I was gonna say, and then we got sidetracked with all of this droneness.
Speaker 2: That's all right.
Speaker 1: If it comes to me at any point in time, I'll just stop what I'm talking about and say it.
Speaker 2: But I won't. But I won't explain it.
Speaker 1: I'll just stop and say some tangential thing and then go back.
Speaker 2: To the topic. So stay tuned, Why don't you I Herd book.
Speaker 1: He's gonna take bes on at what point during the show this happens, that's what should happen. What's the odds and what what? What is Vegas saying? Seven twenty two eight eight oh eight, eight oh eight, all right, SKFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI A M six forty