Speaker 1: Come. This is Doctor John de Martini. This is one of the most amazing and inspiring shows that you can listen into. If you want to be on the edge of your seats, if you want to open up your heart, if you want to expand your mind, and you want to meet incredible people, stay tuned because you're just about to experience transformative radio show that will change your life. And you're listening to The Doctor Pat Show is coming up right next.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Doctor Pat Show Talk Radio to thrive by powerful, inspiring and coming to you live, bringing you stories of people like you and me busting through and living life full out. Get ready to dare to wonder what your life would be like if you knew you could not fail.
Speaker 3: I want to welcome you to this. We are like on a roll, so every once in a while we take down a path where there I'll go down a pathway and that I'll meet somebody that has to be believe it or not, I would not have guessed this. Tristan Stiwiki. We're starting to chit chat and we discovered we're kind of in the same lane about things that we have at least one foot one toe in esoteric consciousness, what we do intuition, and then we got this other foot in pop culture, and so Tristan was talking about how our pop culture there are people in that arena right that are doing great things. They stand for something, they're authentic. Today's show is literally the first of several we're going to be doing together. It's called Beyond the Spotlight, Defining Legacy and pop Culture. Today, we're going to feature several women. We're going to be talking about Scarlett Johansson or Scarlett Johansen, however you say it. We're going to be talking about Mindy Colleen. We're going to be talking about Mindy. We're going to be talking about Natalie Portman. We're gonna be talking about Viola Davis, and if we have time, we're going to talk Kerrie Washington in there. And so we hope to share with you one why we decided to do this, why we decided to look at legacy building, why these four people. Now, I must say, and justin you'll agree with me. Narrowing it down to four people that was really challenging for me. What was that like for you?
Speaker 4: Impossible truly, because there's so many incredible women doing that are exceptional role models. And then when I dug into their history and the things I'd forgotten they've done in their career, it was just like it was. It was such a gift these last two weeks to look at.
Speaker 3: This, and in future shows we do on this, we're going to continue this. We're going to be featuring women from different generations, right for example, you know, one of the things we'll be talking about are the foundation creators. Who are these people? The Jane Fondas, the Shirley mcclans, the Alfred Wooders who I got to do a music video with. Who are these people and what did they do to what they achieved. We're also going to be looking at the younger generation of people, you know, Zendeia, others like that, who have carved out a place in time. You know, I think Rachel Levin Woods for me. I know she's not doing very much now, but her role in Westworld was pivotal for me, and I was so disappointed when that stopped. And then we're going to be going to I think they called what the heck do we call them gen z Ers or the g I don't know, like the fifty ish. We're going to be looking at those people. You know, what is the history of the magnificent beauty that's called Chortleast, then how about the people in that generation which we don't talk about. How about those women that have created productions, have their own production company. You sit there and you think you got a woman that played in a show called Legally Blonde, and you think, well, what she doing? Well, we'll tell you what she's doing. So we plan to take this out and once we're done with this series, if I can convince Tristan and we may take a look at women in sports, we may take a look at women in leadership and other places. We may take a look at why did HP really fire Carly Fiorino. But today let's start with this our first out of the gay Tristan is is someone that caught my attention and I can't really tell you why. I mean, I think there are many many things that I saw, There are many many things that kind of pulled me in if we could say that, and it's Scarlett Johansson. I'm want to start out with her because what got my attention about her? Besides like the movie Lucy, which got mixed reviews, But then again, they're doing a second Lucy too. I guess it was what she stood for. But here we are. For decades, Hollywood metrics measured a star's legacy. They did it by the height of the box office and the box office returns. Now it's not just box office, it's box office and streaming sales, put it all together, whatever you want to call it. But it's digital as well. But Scarlett redefined the calculation. How did she do it? Some say she weaponized her commercial power to drag the largest media conglomerate into a legal reckoning. Oh yeah, oh yeah. And she didn't just do it alone. There were others and a stone followed suit. But I want to talk about Missiohansson for a minute. She did what generations of actors before her couldn't. They just couldn't. She forced the system to pay its workers fairly in the digital age, that's just a small thing. And then she also no longer became a movie store. She became an architect of the modern modern entertainment industry. And let's get into it. Look this powerhouse actress, producer, fierce advocate. She changed the landscape. She took on Hollywood's labor standards with Disney over contractual breach and actively led jumped out of their major industrywide resistant campaigns to protect She did two major things. Well, let's talk about Disney trusting if we could, because I know you are aware of this. But when I saw the headlines on it, I said, okay, what was that about? It was historic and also my area of work that I researched her psychological contracts, and she's a perfect example of saying no, we had an agreement. So this lawsuit got the attention of seeing Scarlett Johanson more than just an actor for a moment there, and it was a breach of contract. She challenged the dual streaming theatrical release, that model that undercut back end box office compensation by forcing a massless era settlement. She went there, she didn't compromise, and she didn't negotiate down. And so what happened with that is at the painter they made an arrangement with her, And the small details of it are simple. I agree with you that we're going to take your movie, we're going to put it out there, and we're going to let it ride out there before we pull it out and put it on streaming. But then I don't do that. I pull it out and I put it on streaming and guess what, You've lost fifty million dollars. Now, how many actors would have drawn a line in the sand. But what do you make of that, Tristan, What do you make of just that one action? Before we talk a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there's so much in that. I think we've heard so much and have seen how women have been treated by Hollywood, and so especially for a woman that has helped build this monolith of the Marvel universe, you know, that has been kind of since the beginning, helping kind of create this this juggernaut. Then to go, no, I know my worth and my value and to stand with that is challenging on a human level, right to really sit in that. There's also discourse right about worth about you know, and especially when it comes to paying women, about oh don't you have enough women that are actresses, Like I remember when Julia Roberts was paid twenty million dollars for Aaron Brockovich, Right, huge discourse about that, and it's like sitting with the truth of that is a lot of money. The actors and celebrities make quite a lot of money. As do athletes, and she knows her worth, she knows what she brings to the table, and she knows that the law was behind her ultimately, and so it would have been such a disservice to herself based on her actions to go, no, I'm you know, I'm not going to take action. I'm just gonna also for the safety of my career. You know, my family would ever to just accept a situation that was unacceptable And how many women have made that choice, which is so hard in that moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, she's true to form. So we're talking about the people that stand up, but we're talking about legacies. So the other thing she did, which is true to form, it sticks to the whole idea, is that there is a thing. You know, there's a scraping, a scrapping, scraping of copyright architect or artist content. And it's a thing, it really is. It's and that's why today the images you see in the show are not of the artists, because I would be violating that. The images that we are showing in this show. I have paid for the images. They're provided to us through a subscription I have. They are license free. So every clip we show in this show is in that vein. None of these clips are of these actors. And so she came out and saying stealing is an innovation. She created a movement. It was a co ed, aggressive coalition of I think around eight hundred other entertainers demanding that tech giant stop violating copyright artistic content and how are they doing it? You know, she looked at this with no, it's not okay for you to take that clip of me and then throw it through an AI machine and call that new new imagery. So she's true to form. The last thing I will say about her and then we'll move on, is she has been a major advocate for gender bias. She speaks prominently at events about this. You know, she is in the Women's March to demand federal protections for autonomy. But these are the things that you don't talk about when you see her. You do see it in her production company, you know, you do see it in eco consciousness for example, vegan skincare and things like that, But mostly we see her on the big screen. Most of us. We were shocked spoiler alert. I was shocked when Black Widow didn't make it, But then I was happy that they went back in time for that. So this is just one example, and there were career defining roles for her. I mean, we think about her as a couple of different things, but I think the one of her original movies, so what was that called Girl with the Pearly Earring or something like that. You know, we know her for Black Widow, we know her for Jojo Rabbit, Lost in Transition, something else. But when you take a look at the depth of her and what she can do, her David Versus Goliath moment transcends all of it. So who's on your list? Very much?
Speaker 4: So, No, She's such a great kind of jumping off point. So mine is Natalie Portman. And I value humor, and Scarlet's also hilarious, like her ability to do accents and her ability to show up and write and make fun of herself is gorgeous. And Natalie also embodies that trade, which I really admire. And so I'll never forget where I was seeing Natalie on Saturday Night Live right doing a rap about going to Harvard right, and just it was so fun. It was just everything you'd want someone to be. And what I really admire about her is her ability to take a career as a child actress in Star Wars and that be just a small footnote in her legacy. And that's absolutely wild because I don't know that that same transformation has happened for someone like Hayden Christensen, who's incredible, But I feel like Star Wars is always kind of the second or third bullet. And for Natalie, she's really taken her time in the spotlight to be an advocate. You know, we both love sports, and I loved watching the co founding of Angel City, right how important you know, really investing in women and women's sports. She's also a human and animal rights activist, and she's really picked roles that have been both internal, little cerebral, and also fun to explore I think for her, which is really really lovely. Now, what's interesting about her leg Oh, did you have any highlights that you wanted to share that?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: I want to just I want to just say to you that you know what I didn't know about her until I did this, was she and I have something in common. We both supported PETA. I mean, she's a major animal activist and you know you could read up on that, you could see it. But she's gone through documentary on SI. There's's so many different things that you can find. But when you partner with Peta you know PTA folks Peter dot org, you can find out a lot of things from there. You know what you do now, which you raise the bar on expose as from a number of different places. But the other thing too that we don't know about her is part of her feminism and her social justice. What did you find out about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean she's really there was literally because I use Wikipedia as a source again to try to be as right as like ethical as possible about this is her ongoing investment starting in like two thousand and six, two thousand and five, and perhaps her even earlier accounts that maybe weren't documented. But what I loved it is it's literally been like twenty five plus years of showing up consistently in a way that is so beautiful, where she was just like, no, this is important to me, and I'm not only going to put my time, my energy, and my money to this, but I'm going to stand up as the face of it wherein it matters as such as a co founder for angel City. And that's legacy, right. It's a big word like it feels really loaded, but that's all it is is where you spend your time, your energy, and your money consistently every single day. And I think that's why it's so interesting. Unless you had more to talk about before I go into a little bit of a misst Oh Go go is around Black Swan and when so, I have taken dance classes. I've had the honor and the privilege of taking dance classes with some of the greatest ballerinas to ever exist, Megan Fairchild and Catherine Morgan, and I've had time to learn from them and to see them on stage, and it's been incredible. And you know, there were some conversations during the Oscar speech and just in the zeitgeist during this time about how much Natalie danced on screen versus her body double, and I feel like there was an opportunity to perhaps give more credit to her body double, perhaps give more credit to vallerinas, and the idea that both Natalie's training in this time, you know, for many months, five to seven hours a day, honoring that journey, which is heart right, that's a commitment, and also honoring that you can't learn something at that level in just a few months. To a few years. It's decades, right, decades of bleeding like through toe shoes. It's you know, constant. Especially in the early two thousands, the dance world was incredibly challenging in terms of how they treated dancers, and that's still at a place that needs to get better. And so when I think about how, like Matt Damon's been talking about his female body double for The Odyssey, I'm just so impressed and how he talked about it, And I really wish there was an opportunity that Natalie had taken to kind of credit those because it's a group project. Ultimately making a film as a group project and honoring everyone's commitment and collaboration is just a beautiful kind of way to support that that feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, when you think about these folks, right, you think about, you know, some of the things they said. I know one thing about Natalie, and I'll go back to Scarland in a minute, is her quote about when you get older, you realize it's a lot less about your place in the world, but your place in you. What I mean, I have to think about that one. Tristan, how about you? Yeah, But you know, it's kind of like we're talking about people that somehow have influenced you and influenced me. I'm I'm a big fan of the big screen. I've been going to movies since as young as I can remember in awe at the original Godzilla films, if you will, and so have you. But these folks have now become to me more than that. And you know, we do have social media to thank for that, don't we absolutely?
Speaker 4: And we also have the documentaries. I feel like we've gotten more behind the scenes into projects they care about because they're able to fund that or really showcase it. Because honestly, whenever I see something like that, either through social media or a documentary, I go, oh, can I do more? Where can I do more? Where am I falling short or not showing up for what I believe in? And that's beautiful introspection everyone should have frequently, you know, every couple of months in a minimum.
Speaker 3: So you know, when you think about this for yourself and you think about you think about the many, many ways your heart has been touched. Let me ask you this question. When you take a look at this and you look at Natalie Porter and I can hear you know when you speak the words you're speaking, you know, you're talking about somebody that you related with. You know, what was it that really got to you about her? And by the way, I do believe she served in the military. There's other things about her, right, but she's also a human right human's rights activist, right absolutely.
Speaker 4: What I think initially, what like I felt such a connection to is her love of learning and that she knew that being an actor was part of her life and not something she was going to fully invest in. Because I remember seeing photos of her on set reading books and still studying and still going to Harvard and doing all these things. And I just had such admiration for someone like, No, I am multifaceted, and it doesn't matter if I'm in the largest franchise and the biggest movie ever made, Like I'm going to be who I am, And I just go, dang, if she can do that, Like, what's my excuse? You know what I mean? Like, I have a lot less barriers than.
Speaker 3: She does that. Yeah, I mean, you know, we've selected these people and then we did our research on them, and now here we are. And what I find about the process is the more I dug, the more I looked at I had a question that I don't know that I can answer today, and I'm not sure you can either, But how was it they got involved in this? And then when we take a look back at their upbringing a bit right, and you see some glimpses, and of course we have to be very mindful of the sources we have used, right, and they have been validated. But when we look at this, we see how they're upbringing, how their childhood may have influenced that. You know, what was it about? You know, miss Portman's upbringing? What did she grow up with? It's the same thing when I look back and Scarlett Trehansson's upbringing and what did she where did she come? Where'd you come from? Like you start to look at that and you find out worn in Manhattan, So okay, what does that mean to anybody? But she also grew up in a politically conscious working class household. And you know, when you look at Natalie Portman, you could see the impact of what shaped her. Right, would you say that's true?
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially education being such a theme that she carries like kind of throughout her legacy. You can really see the impact of that importance. And then when we're ready to talk about Mindy. I think that's a beautiful segue because that's really the station of her life's work.
Speaker 3: And didn't Natalie go to Harvard. I don't know if that's true. That's true, yeah, but it is a seguay to talk about Mindy. Let's talk about Mindy for a little bit because unlike I think personally, unlike the rest of them, she has kept a lower profile, and we're going to discuss why that, why she's doing that. So what was it about Mindy that, like you said, I got to talk about her.
Speaker 4: I've always admired Mindy through my connection through the office. So when the Office was at its height, you know, I was in high school and I absolutely became obsessed with it and I loved seeing her being a writer. I was actually in my time where I wanted to be a writer for SNL and so I've studying all comedy writers and like she I just admired so much. And then I've really loved is like she is true to who she is. She's like I love pop culture. I'm going to talk about it, you know what I mean? There are things that like she hasn't changed as core elements of her which I embodied to make sure that I'm not either. And so when I think about kind of the impact that she's had, it has been lower profile, but no less profound, exactly. Yeah, it was so important for me to talk about her because, like she was just on with Amy Poehler, and Amy made sure to call out one of my first points, which I did know, but it's great to hear, is that she wrote more episodes of the Office than anyone else. You know, she wrote Dwali, the Dundees, The Injury, She was the only woman on the staff of eight, you know. And then at really the height of it being challenging to have a network show, and then kind of I would say, the last heyday of network TV, even she got her own show, the Mini Project, you know, and it lasted for six seasons. It's incredible, Like truly, and you know.
Speaker 3: What I love about this is you and I had a conversation about authenticity. Actually that's how we started, wasn't it. We were talking about authenticity, and one of the things we were talking about is those people that struck us in that way. Yeah, like we see them in one way and we don't see them in five hundred other ways, Right, and so as we talk about them, we have a conversation about how they stand out, what hits them about that How important was that connection to authenticity for you?
Speaker 4: It's everything because there's oftentimes where I'll see someone's work, you know, on the big screen the small screen, and I go like, okay, but it didn't resonate or okay, I can oh I like them in that movie, right, that's a common one. And then you go, oh, no, I see what they've built. That's a very different experience where you go, oh, I see the themes they're exploring in their writing or in their projects, and those themes, those messy coming of age stories, like Mindy talks about cultural and family identity, women and young girl's ambition, especially in Running Point, how she talks about women's ambition and kind of the experiences we go through is especially as we climb up the ladder, never felt more seen, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean a lot of what we're talking about today is really we're going to talk about this at the end of the show, but one of the things we're all going to talk about is how all of these women relate to a theme. Before we do that, we're going to take a short break. But before the break, Tristan tell people how they can find out about you, your show, all of the above, because outside of just doing this gig with me, you actually have your own show. I do.
Speaker 4: Yes, It's Musings and Modalities, which is the same name as my business. I have incredible female founders and we talk about their journey and as well as how they explore authenticity and legacy through their everyday work.
Speaker 3: And for those of you out there, I wanted to just leave you with this about Mindy because it actually talks to what Tristan is saying. It's this one one friend with whom you have a lot in common with, is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about. Let's take a very short break and we come back. We got more. We're going to be talking about them. Yep, we're going to get right into it. He's got another one, and so do want and I think you'll find what's interesting about these next two and how we relate to them. Let's take a short break, everybody, We'll be right back, all right.
Speaker 6: This is Mark Anthony. I'm the psychic Lawyer, also known as the Psychic Explorer. And I'm proud to be tuning up with doctor Papasili for our show The Psychic in the doc your practical paranormal power Unleashed. And on this show, all subjects are on the table and no topic is taboo. Tune in and better yet, call in Thursdays at seven pm Eastern four pm Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio dot com.
Speaker 7: Tune into Transformation Talk Radio per Afterlife Teacher. Since bringing you full circle, Brand Blancanship will help you to begin to explore the deeper part of yourself in connection to your soul and your spiritual team. She will discuss the spiritual realm from the perspective of past lives and afterlife regression and the sole lessons gained by clients during their spiritual regression sessions spanning the past twenty years. For more information, visit Brendblancanship dot com.
Speaker 5: Inside the Mind of Hiring with me Doctor Mickey Feinberg is a must listen for hiring managers, HR pros and job seekers. Tune into Transformation Talk Radio the first and third Tuesday at eleven to discover the psychology of making smarter hiring decisions that shape successful teams and organizations. Doctor Mickey and expert guests will dispose the full hiring journey. For more info, visit deltaconsultants dot com.
Speaker 8: We remember a time when you could simply form a thought and it would manifest. The harmony was forgotten, but it is returning now. The power of inspiration and awakening. Radio with Julia will take you on adventures through the heart and spirit, exploring who we once were and how to awaken that power today. Julia studied under the guidance of wolves, learning from their wisdom to master a higher frequency for new state of mind. Learn to master the secrets of manifestation. Visit onetrueself dot com.
Speaker 3: Hey everybody, welcome back. You are listening to our show Doctor Patcho and joining me as my co host today is the most incredible Tristans Tawiki and I want to make sure you have Tristan's information because she has a show, and then we'll get back into it one more time. Tristan, how do people work with you? Tell people about your show a little bit and about the work you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely so. My show is Musings and Modalities, and I meet with incredible women founders that are you know they're in it they're in the trenches. They've they've built businesses, they've sold businesses. You know, they're at different phases and they want to share kind of their lessons and what they've learned and then how they can their journey, can help you know, support you in your journey. And they're working with me. That's at musingsmmodalities dot com and that's a thirty minute legacy call where we talk about where you spend your time, your energy, and your money and how we can make sure that that is, you know, in the direction of alignment and where you want it to actually be going.
Speaker 3: What's fascinating is I was looking at Mindy Mindy Colling, and what I what I noticed is like I typed something and I copied and pasted something and I left of thenng and CALLI fears God. But there's something I want to just bring back to with you on this that I didn't know about her. I didn't know that she was a phenomenal writer, that she wrote more episodes of the Office than anyone else.
Speaker 4: It's incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean see, none of us would know that. We wouldn't know that behind the scenes, there's such depth to the people we're talking about and you know, it's so interesting to see that. But part of this is also her acknowledgment and honoring of culture and family identity. Isn't that true?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? I mean to put together an episode like Dwalie and to bring that to NBC, you know, in the early two thousand and eight ish around that time, you know, and so for those that were unfamiliar with it got to experience it in a beautiful way and have it be both humorous and heartwarming, Like what a gift that she has to do that, And she's done that through her other shows, and it's just so relatable, and we also get to understand more about her and what's important to her, which is awesome.
Speaker 3: I want to thank you for covering her because you know, I saw that and I thought, wow, she does keep a lower profile, and there's a reason she protects her children from what did she call it, she oversharing. She doesn't believe in oversharing, So therefore she's very mindful of her family. And it's a really good point because so often what we do on social media, you know, we take pictures. I was having a conversation with Linda about this and I said, you know, I'm watching your niece to take all these pictures of her beautiful child, and I said, there's so many of them. I'm like a little worried. And of course Linda says, don't have that thought, and she's right, I don't want to have that thought. But I guess I'm watching too many Law and Orders or SBU shows or something like that. But you know, all these people individually have an impact, but when you put them together in your words, it's beyond the spotlight. It's defining legacy in our pop culture. I want to talk about my second choice, viola, Davis, and it's interesting I found viola. Okay, true story, I played the I played the viola when I was a kid because I couldn't read. I couldn't write neurodiverse. I've talked about it on another show. I have a couple of little quirky things, but I could play music and I could read music. Couldn't read to write English Hello, But when it came to music, I could do it. And my first choice was to play the cello, but my fans are too small. So doctor Dorito said, play the viola, you'll love it. And so I was researching lessons again as I got older, now just recently, not too long ago, I thought maybe I should pick it up again, because I stopped playing and I put violin and viola and Viola Davis came up. And this is way back years ago, and I just started to watch her. And now I look back and I have seen every movie she's been in. I've seen pretty much her speeches, her acceptances. So let's talk about this for a minute. Viola Davis. Everyone is my second choice. And there are reasons that our life path mimics similar, you know, not every part of it, but there are things that I related to that I didn't know about her. You know, true legacy requires and uncompromising confrontation with truth. It really does. You know, Biola Davis's legacy is card from radical vulnerability, her refusal to hide her past, hello her dark skin, or the systematic barriers that placed in her way, And there were many, as there were with the women we've already talked about, but building our own production engine and then fearlessly champion childhood survival. You know, what she did was move across this entertainment industry, not just as mere excellent performances, rewriting the scripts and the roles that women play, but to profound social engineering. You know, she doesn't just act, She commands space so that others may finally inhabit it. This is her. She fights for pay quality for women of color in Hollywood and a production company JUV Productions uplift diverse amazing storytelling. But there's more than that. Her book that came out. You know, she transforms her role her Hollywood. She transformed this historic legacy by her personal experiences with extreme poverty. Who knew? You know this period? It's a blueprint for structural activism. I mean, this is the thing that will either knock you out or like what's her face talked about? What don't kill you make you stronger? Right? But this is something we look at with her in so many ways. She represents the underrepresentative voices in Hollywood and especially now with her vocal on women of a certain age and this she has broken down the what I call the brass ceiling. See there's a glass ceiling, but the brass ceiling when it comes to being an older actress. Hello, she's breaking it down. She has iconic status, but who is she? Who is this woman? Besides being a cultural titan in the world. This is somebody who is vastly underestimated in my opinion, it really is. Yeah, but you got to ask me how many times I watched The Woman King. You got to ask me that.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't even need to have it beyond schedule TV. I got my own copy of it. I get up there and I try to do some of those dances and just be part of that and just love love for upside down in that because that was a very pivotal role in most cases, a pivotal role, Tristan, I'd like to hear your point on this. But a tribute a role that they could have put a younger woman in, right, Yeah, they didn't. This is somebody and I'm telling you you have got to have had some skin and hootspa. But to transform Hollywood from this exclusive club into an open door for generations of marginalized artists to come through is epic. What do you think?
Speaker 4: She's incredible? She's the person. Anytime if there's like clips online of a speech of an award, like, I'm always positive, I'm always like watching it, rewatching it because I'm like, oh, this is gonna be good. I get all settled in, you know, because I'm just in awe of her messaging and her ability to I mean, everything that she does on screen she does there and not everyone can do that. A lot of times actors and actresses get really intimidated on that stage, and you really to speak to her hutzpah. You really have to have it in that moment when you're sitting in front of your peers, the people that say whether or not you get your next paycheck. At times, you know and go like, no, this is me, this is what I believe in. This is more important to me than whatever repercussion could happen. Incredible, Like that's just awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, before okay, before okay, The thing I want to talk about is before you know, I saw her latest film of The Warrior King with the school credible of the Dahomie. Before I saw that, people would ask me because I talk about her from time to time, and I would always get asked, what you know, what is it? What role did you see her in that changed the way you thought about her? So arey thinks you're going to say, okay, maybe fences or maybe the help. I said, no, I said, do you know I could not miss an episode about How to Get Away with Murder, And I said, when that thing ended, I thought to myself, why, I mean, it was so fascinating. First of all, that series had an incredible cast. You know, she was besides some very cool young actors, right, but her to step into that? So how does she become who she is? Severe object poverty, experiencing hunger, unstable housing. Right, she did graduate from Juilliard, Rhode Island College, grew this is her, But what is she doing today? There isn't enough time probably today to talk about all the things she's doing. But she was the first black actress to receive the triple crown of acting, the Oscar, the Enemy and the timing. And I think that's incredible. But why do we talk about her?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: We're talking about somebody that has stepped out and talked about radical honoresty of poverty, surviving trauma and abuse, confronting Hollywood colorism, and then healing the inner child. That's got to be like when you look at those four things, can you imagine what the inside of her feels like some days.
Speaker 5: Or what it did?
Speaker 4: Hopefully, hopefully there's a lot of peace there now, right, which I think we see in how she's able to truly command the stage. But everything you listed, I was just like, wow, it's so easy for us to fall into the trap of going like, oh when and we've talked about this in another show. But when my wounding is triggered, it's easy to go like, let me be quiet, and she goes, no, let me be louder. It's more important than I speak of. And that is just exceptional, you know.
Speaker 3: I hope our audience looks at these women, of course we're talking about, but what I would love our audience to really do is take a look within themselves and ask themselves who are the people in our pop culture? Because I want to stay in that arena. I always take a lot of grief for this, but I want to say that who in our pop culture can we look up to? You know, don't be afraid to look everywhere for that role model that's going to show you a way. You're going to find an inspiration for yourself to get past the many nights you are beat by your father or mother, or abused in school or religious institutions or work. My research on work and I can't remember with Kerrie Washington or who is an advocate for workplace violence. But beyond all of this, these are the questions we want to ask our audience. What would you like to ask our audience.
Speaker 4: I love that so much. Really, what as they research, as they look, what causes do they feel called to step to kind of step up for? You know, maybe it's some mentioned mentioned today, it could be their own path, but really like where they feel they want to show up for more of their community in the world. And to say, you know, I think it's always easy to be like, oh, I don't have time. Well, these incredible women are doing twenty hour days when they're in a project, you know, like, let's be real about it, like and yes, they have a team in different elements, and I don't want to I don't want to take away their level of privilege that they have, especially at the income level they are. And hard work is hard work and we all have time for that.
Speaker 3: And you know, I don't know about you, but I'll love to really see them outside a role they're playing in, you know, whether it's a speaking engagement or it's something they write. And I mentioned Viola Davis of course, has a book that is a must read for those out there. But for you, what have you learned since prepping for the project that has changed you?
Speaker 4: Really? Choosing my piece? I think the theme that I've found throughout this and a theme that because I've had my own wounding with visibility right and working through that, even having my own show, and as I get I'm prepping actually next week to go to New York to film something for television, So that's come up, you know as I as I go through that, And what I've really learned is like they've chosen where their piece is, and most of them that's with keeping their family sacred, you know, standing up for different causes. And so for me, I go like, you know, my home is my piece and that's something that no matter what opportunity, I don't think I would have cameras in my home at any stage. And that's a different level than other people, you know, people I admire, like my Real Housewives, and that's okay, that's that's my line. And so it's really helped me kind of firm up my boundaries and also go like, we all should have that sacredness in our life and that's okay to keep for ourselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now we do have time and there was someone else you picked, and I go into it a little bit.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, if we're talking about TV, we have to talk about Kerry Washington. Oh yeah, just true, legend like legendary, incredible. Her portrayal of women is so powerful. It handles the moral ambiguity in a beautiful way. Like I remember watching episodes of Scandal and going like, how would I deal with this situation? You know, what are my boundaries here? And that's so beautiful to explore for yourself. And it's also beautiful to have the room to explore it because oftentimes, especially in television came, women were depicted very one or two dimensional, right, Like we've moved far from the Donna Reed kind of days, but you know there's still that level of oh yeah, you can be successful, but you you know, have to have a relationship that is also as a foundation, a loving husband that supports you. And I feel like for me, Scandal was very much like, oh you can, you can show up fully at work and you can have the messiest life outside of that and it doesn't take away from your power. And it's just beautiful to explore that. What was your connection, you know to Kerrie Washington and especially Scandal.
Speaker 3: Well, I have to tell you I love the role she played as Olivia Pope in Scandal. I mean, it wasn't the only thing I had ever seen her in, but it is the role that I love to watch her play because it wasn't just the role itself. Of course, the creator of that series incredible, but what it was is her gut wrenching reality of how she played that. Yeah, and it was a very delicate yet powerful dance in the world of politics, relationships, distrust, right advocacy. It was incredible. And you know, and I think that when I think about her, I mean her. Okay, So you know when I first saw her, Okay, this is the friend. So there's a movie that came out like way back, okay called Save the Last Dance, Right, Okay, you talk about it then, please please. Well, well that's the first time I saw and I said, oh my goodness, she is going to do great things, right yeah. Now, of course the movie didn't get great reviews, but I saw it a bunch of times. What was it for you? What was your first time watching her?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: I was a dancer, or I still I am a dancer, but I when it came out and so that was the movie that we'd play at sleepovers and everything. We all loved it. And what I love is she recently talked about it because it's been coming up in the zeitgeist. Julia Styles was recently on SNL and what I loved she was basically there was a questioning that implied like, you know, kind of dissing it a little bit and going like, oh yeah, it's not really held up well, and she's like, no, like what it did it It's time is really important, and she basically stood behind it. And I was like, I respect that so much because, like absolutely fair. I think for those of us that wasn't in our lived reality. It gave a vehicle to see that lived reality in a way I may not have for many for many years.
Speaker 3: So what did you think about her role when she started as in Anita Hill. I think that movie was called Confirmation or something I.
Speaker 4: Have not seen. It was incredible. Oh okay writing it down.
Speaker 3: Of course, wasn't anybody who's going to do anything about the India Hill situation. But she came out and thank you for pointing out about her dance stuff, you know, and the work she does. But I always sit in Nass. Now about Carrie Washington, always ask this Ques, Okay, do you know the always ask the question when is she going to When are we going to see her again? When are we going to see her again? Like on a regular basis, because she's the person I think, Wow, Kerrie Washington could have played that role. Kerry Washington could have played this role Kerrie Washington. And there's a movie or a television series I think called Paradise and I thought for sure that she would be the wife that was missing because you gotta love to see her act, right.
Speaker 4: Always, Yeah, anytime she's mentioned, it's just like I'm I'm seated as much as possible. No, she's incredible, and I think honestly, she's had this lifelong commitment to activism. So I know we haven't we haven't touched on yet, but you know, there is a choice of like what projects to work on and where you're spending your time and when she is someone that you know has had that as part of her upbringing and seeing Nelson Mandela speak and seeing and that being a part of her journey of like, no, this is important to me. I'm going to show up for this and have it continue I really I really love that she's not someone It feels like when she chooses a project, she's very much all in and maybe her capacity for that has, you know, continued to shift as she is, you know, her activism and other interests come through.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, she was also born in the Bronx. When I saw Dushango unchained she was in that. Yeah, I honestly didn't even recognize her. Took me a minute. Yeah, but it shows the depth. I mean, clearly we know her as Broadway, we know her as award winning right, you know, she she was taken to see Nelson Andela speak at Yankee Stadium. I mean, there's just so many things about her. What do you think now of where she is and what would you want her to do next? If you had your magic wand.
Speaker 4: I think it would be incredible for if she wanted to go back to Broadway or to be a major backer and have her name on a show. Katie Burris, who I love, kind of put her back in behind the Whiz and that was so beautiful and I was so glad to kind of support in that by buying tickets and things like that. And I think it's just as as Broadway is ready for some some updates and changes, and it's had its struggles. I think that would be a beautiful way to kind of maybe help you a part of the change that's going through right now. How about you? What do you see her?
Speaker 3: Well? I think she's gonna do like or has already done, the you know that Knives Out series, the one that Daniel Craig is in, Like that one. I think Tyler Perry is setting her up for some more drama. I think Shadow Force or Shadow something is something they're planning. But that just shows her diversity. I mean, I mean, look at Daniel Craig. I mean Double O seven is now the Knives Out guy. They're good for you, dude, right, But this is like we wait for things like this. I'm really excited about, you know, the Shadow Force idea. But she can do anything she wants. She can she can do anything. And you know, besides doing that, she has supported women's cancer programs. She's an activist. The list of activism. She is also support of LGBT rights. I mean, this goes on and on. She was honorary Glad Vanguard Award. You see, these are things we don't talk about, right behind the scenes. You got to ask yourself, when in the world does she have a time for that?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Right, twenty sixteen, she's out there. She's out there with Chondraland and you know, Voola Davis and Chonda Rhymes and Hillary Clinton. Right, she's out there endorsing Clinton for president. I mean, it's very clear about who she is and what she's doing. And that's what excites me because you get those things right. She also did a tribute for the of the Orlando nightclub shooting. So you see this, you see this is her. She's looking at something that could be quite controversial for her career, and what does she do. She steps all over that controversy and says, hello, people, this is who I am. Isn't that why we look at these people today? To honor these women?
Speaker 4: Yeah, to honor them how they use their voice, you know, and their impact. And I think there's already a high standard for women to do things like this, and these exceptional talents we talked about today are just really show kind of a masterclass in embodying this.
Speaker 3: Well. I will tell you there is one film I think coming out. I don't know where it stands in production, but I think it's going to be like a thriller killer film, and I think it's called an Innocent Girl or something like that, and I think that it's like a sight thriller. I love those site thrillers because I look at it from an analysis point of view. But boy, you got to have thick skin. Some of these you just really to be like, oh, okay, and I do believe that's going to be a Netflix film. But again, think about that role, okay, think about the role. Think about what it takes to take on a role. Think about all these women, and I'd like for you to have last word. Let's bring it home. What would you like to leave us with here today? And thank you so much for doing this with me. Very cool.
Speaker 4: I have the best time to really think about kind of what you stand for overall, and if that's something you're working through, you know, think about the role bottles that you see in media and maybe you know, try on what they stand for to see if it feels true and resonant for you. We don't have it doesn't. It's not a big mystery, right, there's no wrong answer, and there could be something that you pick up and support, you know, for a few months, a few years, and that can evolve as we've seen these beautiful artists careers involved as well as their impact and you know what, they show that they care about.
Speaker 3: All of the people we've talked about today. We invite you to learn more. We invite you to find more. You can look at the roles they play. You can also look at the role you know that we just talked about again, Carrie Washington is bringing together about politics and just crazy stuff, which is good at But the question I want to leave you all with, who can you find that's inspiring your next level of who Who could you go to that be alcoholism, that stepped out, spoke out against abuse, that maybe is taking on things that are not normal to take on, that are breaking barriers, that are creating new opportunities, that are opening up. A vocal, just a vocal, just giant big horn to say, step out, step in, We support you, Tristin. Before we go, how do people find out more about you?
Speaker 4: Yep, that's at Musingsanmodalities dot com. And my name is Tristan Stowiki and I think I'm the only one on the planet, so very easy to google.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you she is the only one on the planet. She's probably the only one in the outer universe too, probably just like me, we're both from another planet. Thank you all for tuning us in turning us on Emily. Thank you for doing all the button pushing and making us look great. And for those of you out there tell us. Please send an email to info with the dtor Pat Show and tell us is there a woman out there you want us to cover. Is there somebody in your wheelhouse that you would like to hear our perspective on. Thank you, we'll see you next time.
Speaker 4: After an explana