Speaker 1: The Sandy Show is proud partners with our bank. We invite you to open your account effortlessly online at www dot org dot bank. Remember FDI see hey for just tuning in. You're here just in time. Our friend Jason Wright joins us every week to talk about health, getting healthier and in this case, healing, maybe from injury, maybe from surgery, whatever it may be, there are things that you can do to make yourself heal faster. So Tricia say hi to Jason.
Speaker 2: Hi, Jason, Well we got today. Jason.
Speaker 1: Wait, this is interesting to me things you can do to help the healing process.
Speaker 3: So the thing that I went and you know, I got to say, whenever we weren't recording, Tricia just popped in as the teacher's pet and she said, I bet we're going to talk about sleep, and she nailed it is it is top line. And that's why I said in the teaser that it may seem boring, it may seem simple, but to the listener out there, if you have a back injury, if you have a hip injury, if you're recovering from surgery, I don't care what it is the number one thing you can do to effectively recover is get good quality sleep. Now, Sandy, if you want me to, I can talk a little bit about and I didn't mean for this to be a sleep episode, but we can talk a little bit about what effective sleep is. How you can tell because not all sleep is created equals, so we can go into some of that.
Speaker 2: Let's do that.
Speaker 1: Let's do that because it is so important, and I struggle with sleep. I seem to be cyclical with my sleeping. I go, you know, a week or so of great sleep, and then I go a week of getting terrible sleep. So anything you can tell me and the people listening to help, I'm all in.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you some very easy and obvious tactics to make sure that you at least start getting yourself into a better sleep routine. So, first of all, figure out when the two hour mark is before sleep. So if you're somebody that goes to sleep regularly at ten o'clock, then around eight o'clock you should start preparing yourself for sleep. So here's what that looks like. I would start dimming the lights in your house. I would make sure your house is below seventy two degrees, getting nice and cool and wherever your bedroom is, if you have a zoned temperature system, get your bedroom as cool and dark as possible. Put your phone down, put your computer down, get the screens away. This has like you, whenever we see that blue light that is on our phone or our computer, our brain and our circadian rhythm will process that as daylight, and that's telling our brain it's still daytime. We still have to stay alert, so get rid of that. And also there's just a stimulating effect. Can you want to start calming yourself down? So that's what I would start doing first and foremost, about two hours before bedtime, start preparing yourself for sleep. Then, if you want to take it to the next level, let's talk about how you prepare your bedroom for sleep. First of all, all right, get ready, all right, keep the TV off, make it cold, make it dark, and do not take your phone to the bedroom. I cannot begin to tell you how important this is if you will just take these precursors. Oh and one more thing, guys, did I highly highly suggest to get your circadian real rhythm dialed in. Don't eat at that eight o'clock mark. Again, if you're somebody that goes to bed at ten o'clock. At eight o'clock when you start preparing for your sleep, one of the first steps for preparation stop eating. Don't eat after eight o'clock because you need time to let your digestion happen and occur naturally smoothly. And look, you're gonna keep your body awake that much longer internally if you eat it like that, Like the midnight snack, it's one of the worst things for your circadian rhythm. Don't drink alcohol. Do not drink alcohol before bed. These are just some of the steps that you can take to make sure you're gonna get a good night's sleep.
Speaker 4: A lot of people, too, are midnight snackers, like go to sleep and then we'll wake up and think, I can't go back to sleep until I have a little snack, a little bite of something. They're not doing themselves any favors or what if they're able to go right back to sleep after.
Speaker 2: Still they shouldn't do it, because here's the thing.
Speaker 3: You may be your eyes might be shut and you may be technically asleep, but what you're doing is your circadian rhythm is still wide away because you're having to digest food, and so you're throwing your circadian rhythm off. And I know we don't have the time to go into circadian rhythm completely, but it is so important to figure out exactly what your body's natural rhythm is and to try to manage your lifestyle in conjunction with it.
Speaker 2: It is so important.
Speaker 3: It will give you more energy, it will give you that recovery that you're looking for, just from the day to day activity that we go through every day, but especially going back to where this started. If you're trying to heal from injury, you have got to get your body in its best state for recovery. And the best way to do that is plenty of deep sleep and rem sleep if you can expand those and by the way, guys, even if you're not injured, I tell people that you should treat your sleep the way you treat your diet, the way you treat your training.
Speaker 2: It is that important.
Speaker 3: A lot of people just take it for granted to think I'd sleep, I lay down, to close myles, to go to sleep.
Speaker 2: Get your sleep dialed in. You will be so glad you do. I could speak quickly.
Speaker 1: You mentioned alcohol. As a former professional consumer of alcohol, I can tell you this and as a person that hasn't had a drink in eight and a half years. I can tell you this, you will sleep better when you don't drink. A lot of people that drink like, there's no way I can get the sleep if I don't drink.
Speaker 4: Drink it helps me relax, it helps you calm down.
Speaker 1: It's BS, it's complete BS. And once you get past those, those first few days could be rough. If you do drink, you might not get to sleep, but about everybody's different. At some point you'll notice you get much much better sleep than you ever did.
Speaker 3: When you're drinking. One hundred percent. Study after study shows that one of the greatest disruptors of sleep is alcohol. So you are one on the money.
Speaker 2: With that much.
Speaker 1: No, it was awful for me because I used to have to get it up and wake up the middle of night to have a drink. It was terrible.
Speaker 2: It really, really really disrupting before me. Yeah, it's very disruptive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that can be a problem. That can be a problem for sure. Well, and look, you know, I go ahead, hip, now, go ahead, Jason. Sorry, I just want to say, you know, Sandy alluded to it. Guys, I'm practicing what I preached right now. I've gone through a couple of jaw surgery since I last talked to you, and one of the first things that I did is part of my recovery, especially since I couldn't train the way that I'm used to is I focused on sleep. I knew that if I couldn't get out and train and move my the way they normally do and the way that I encourage all of you to do, that the best way to heal quickly and effectively was to get sleep. So and I actually measure my sleep, Sandy and Trish, there's a couple of ways you can do that. I wear an aural ring. There are some great tools and wearables that you can use. Your Apple phone or excuse me, your Apple Watch actually has a feature on there that'll help you at least start to figure out in my sleep score. And I don't be like me and get all ocd about it. I'm probably over the top, but at least try to get an understanding of what the things are that you're doing that might disrupt your sleep so you can eliminate them. And then if you put some of these practices in place that I told you about, then make those see the results quantitatively figure out if I do this, if I take a hot bath, if I start shutting it down at eight o'clock, if I don't drink, if I turn the TV off, I turn the lights down, if I get the air cold in my bedroom. Wow, look at that, my sleep score is climbing. Then that's going to encourage you to do these things more and more. And I guarantee you will be more alert, you'll feel better. And here's the thing too, Sandy and Trish, this is going to have an impact on your blood sugar levels. This is going to have an impact on your insulin resistance, is going to make you more insulin sensitive, which is what we want. It has such a great impact on your overall health it cannot be understated.
Speaker 2: Jason Wright is our guest.
Speaker 1: You can check them out the Jason Wright Show and the podcast and also the Healthy CEO podcast. Something that I did with my sleep and everybody's got those camp I've got a little motion camera that's portable. It's the Blink camera from Amazon. I set it up in my room facing my bed, and I just wanted to see how much I moved around in the night. It's amazing. I was like, holy crap, it's no wonder you're not getting any sleep. You're flailing all over the place.
Speaker 4: It is no wonder why you and I do not share the same bed. I haven't for years. It's like he's fought with some in the morning. It's like remaking the bed froom scratch every day. Yeah, he is a flailer.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: It's the best thing we did in our marriage, for sure. All Right, Jason Writ's our guest. Do you have time for another segment? We need to take a quick break, but do you have more on healing? I know you were talking about infrared stuff and some other kinds of stuff, So stick around. We've got more with Jason Wright coming up. Jason Wright is our guest today and we are talking about things you can do that will help you heal faster. And I'm assuming is there a way to heal better? Maybe I don't know, but things that you can do. And one thing that we touched on earlier was the top of the list top line is the importance of getting good sleep. Okay, and if you miss that, make sure you grab the Sandy Show podcast. We'll make it available for you later on after the show. Today and you can get all those sleep tips, but let's talk about other things that you can do that help healing.
Speaker 2: What you got.
Speaker 3: The things that I want to talk to people about that is is kind of it's been on the scene for a while, but I still touch to a lot of people and they don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: And that's red light therapy. That's what a lot of people here is.
Speaker 3: They go to these places and they got they know cold therapy, they know cold plunging because everybody does it on Instagram and everything like that. But it's not as cool to sit in front of an infrared infrared light. However, one of the things that I have done, and I'm a firm believer in, is red light therapy, and that's infrared. And here's the reason why. One you're going to increase your blood circulation. Infrared light is going to penetrate the skin, it's going to heat tissue, and it's going to promote increase blood flow, very important to healing. It's going to help you reduce inflammation. So because I had surgery on my jaw, I've got the infrared coming in on my face because I want to lower inflammation, lower the swelling faster, increase the circulation, so the infrared will actually help with that. It's also going to help with cellular repair. The infrared light is going to stimulate the cellular repair process, it's going to enhance production of ATP, which is very important, and it's going to provide energy to yourselves promoting tissue regeneration and repair.
Speaker 2: So that's something that you can really that you can really it's easy to do.
Speaker 3: Literally, fifteen minutes in front of an infrared light can have a profound impact. And in fact, it was funny when I was talking to my oral surgeon about the things that I planned to do to try to heal faster and heal my face faster, which he was shocked at how fast the swelling went down. I told him, I said, well, I'm going to use infrared, and he had no idea. I mean, this is the surgeon and the medical professional professional had no idea which light to use, what the benefits of infrared were. And that's why folks don't take it for granted that your physician might know they know a lot of things, but the tips and tricks like this, go research for yourself because there are things that once they've done the major work. Like once he got through breaking both of my jaws and resetting them and getting helping me get my teeth back in shape, then it's up to us to figure out these tools and tactics to get better. And infrared is one of those that I'm a firm believer. And this is for muscular repair. If you've got a bad back. I've used it on my shoulder. It's just I'm a believer.
Speaker 4: It is the same thing, if I'm not mistaken, as the infrared masks that you can buy for your face to make your skin tighter, look younger, and more collagen.
Speaker 2: Is it the same That's the same thing, right, Sure thing, Sure thing, it's the exact same thing.
Speaker 3: And now just make sure that you go to a really good quality one that's going to have kind of the director for red as well as the indirect like probably the best in class is Jeve. I have no financial affiliation with jew whatsoever, and that's jo v V.
Speaker 2: I believe I've got that right.
Speaker 3: But they're probably one of the longest players, one of the most reputable brands. I do think that they make a facial one higher dose. I have an infrared blanket, which is like a sleeping bag that you can get in that's infra red. If you don't want to spend the money on a sauna, you can get a infrared uh like bags like kind of blanket for five hundred bucks, which is a pretty cost effective way. I do think that higher dose also has the the max masks as well, So yeah, and there. It's just a great thing to add to your everyday protocol. One thing too, that I cannot overstate is this you're new, you hear the old. It's almost like cliche at this point that food is medicine. When you're trying to heal, make sure that you are eating as clean of a diet and as low inflammatory food as possible. That means stay away from those industrial seeduls. Don't eat French fries, don't eat tater tots, don't eat fried foods.
Speaker 4: Don't eat sometimes the only thing that makes you feel better when you're not feeling.
Speaker 3: Let's get you healed, and then we will get you all the French fries and hush puppies and everything else you want.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: We are going to lower inflammation we want We don't. You've got enough inflammation from the injury, right, we don't want to add fuel to the fire.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a quick question. You mentioned something that is super trendy right now. It's been around forever, but really popular right now. Is sauna? Is I mean, yes, that is the new cold plunge? Really, what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: It's it's absolutely proven. Study after study shows that sauna has a profound impact again on cellular repair, blood flow.
Speaker 2: It does does, there's so many benefits to it.
Speaker 3: It So I say sauna, and I guess it's the Scandinavian countries, which are you know, everybody has a sauna and they and they have they were kind of the the ogs of the sauna movement, and it has there's a lot of studies from the Norwegian countries and Scandinavian countries that show the benefits of it. And Peter Attiya, who is a physician there in Austin where you guys are, who I who wrote the book Outlived, phenomenal, brilliant guy. One of the things that Attia does before he goes to bed every single night is part of his preparation is to get into his he goes sauna, shower to bed and so absolutely Sandy, I am very bullish on sauna. As a matter of fact, I've got my sauna blanket now. But Gimlin and I we are actually going to put a sauna in our house, and just as a caveat. If somebody out there is wondering do I go with the old school dry sauna or an infrared. The infrared, it shows most studies are showing that it does have a little bit better effect on some of the mitochondrial health and some of the things we're talking about. So if you're trying to decide do I go old school dry sauna just heat, or do I go infrared for repair? I think now, check me out. Check out everything I tell you, always check me. Don't take it as gospel, but everything, all the literature I've read and I'm shopping right now says that infrared is a little more beneficial. Are the things that we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Tricia, what'd you have for Jason? As we wrap up? Did you I like we're gonna say something about sauna.
Speaker 4: No, I've just heard back in the day there like you should get in a sauna because it helps you sweat out the toxins in your body. I feel like this information about the cell repair and the blood flow and helping healing and stuff like that. Like, it's just a new another aspect of why saunas can be good for you.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. And one of the things to you mentioned, you kind of repeated something back to me that I'm sure your audience has noticed. I will talk about a lot, and that is cellular, cellular, cellular, managing your body at the cellular level. When you start to do that, that's when it's a game changer. It's not just about your overall cardiovascular system and your muscular system. It's about figuring out these things like sauna and working on inflammation to try to manage your body at the cellular level. That's really going to take you to the next level of health. So please don't underestimate the value of looking and understanding and having healthy am out of Andrea Healthy Fat Sales. All this thing will lead to a much, much, much better and healthier life. He is Jason Wright. He knows his stuff. Guys just can make us all live forever. Yeah, you know, find him the Jason Wright Show. The podcast also the very popular Healthy CEO podcast, which is available everywhere that you get podcasts and Jason, you and I we'll all talk again next week.
Speaker 2: Sounds wonderful. Thank you guys for having me as an honor. Thank you Jason Austin's eighties seation