Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 4: This is your wake up call for Thursday, November fourteenth.
Speaker 1: I'm Amy King. It's five o'clock, straight up.
Speaker 4: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and happy you're starting your day with us.
Speaker 1: Did you see the La Luna massive moon again this morning? It's almost full? Not quite.
Speaker 4: It's a full tomorrow morning at four am, four oh two am actually, but it's darn closed now. It's going to be a super moon tomorrow. This is going to look even big, pretty spectacular.
Speaker 1: Here's what's ahead on wake up Call.
Speaker 4: President elect Trump has met with President Biden for about two hours at the White House. Press Secretary Carne Jean Pierre said it was a substantive meeting in which they discussed national security and domestic policy issues. Biden says he'll make sure Trump gets what he needs for a smooth transition. We're going to find out more about the meeting with ABC's Karen Travers.
Speaker 1: That's coming up in about five minutes.
Speaker 4: Representative Michelle Steele's lead over Democratic challenger Derek Trann in the forty fifth district has dropped to just three hundred forty nine votes. She was leading by about seventy five hundred votes at the last tally on Friday. Republican challenger Matt Gunderson has conceded the race to Mike Levin for the forty ninth congressional district. In Orange and San Diego County's Republicans are going to retain control of the House. LA Mayor Bass will publicly swear in former La County Sheriff Jim McDonald as the fifty ninth chief of the LAPD McDonald, who has already been privately sworn in the reigns of the third largest law enforcement agency in the nation after the City Council of Group denomination last week. This week we went out and about to Mocha, the Museum of Contemporary Art for an I and Mind bending exhibit. Really really interesting. We're going to be talking about that. We'll share some information and I'll so let you know how you can get a sneak peek at it. About five point thirty five, so stick around for that and speaking of mind bending, UFOs Congress wants to know more about whether ET is really out there. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to tell us more about that. That's coming up at five point fifty. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The draft language for LA's Sanctuary City ordinance has been released. Mayor Bass and city Attorney Heidi Feldstein Soto worked on the release following meetings with immigrants rights groups over the weekend. The proposed ordinance would prohibit any city resources or personnel from being used to help federal enforcement of immigration laws. Council member Unices Hernandez has said the protections are long overdue. The item could go before the full City Council as soon as next week when members return from recess. Incoming LA County DA Nathan Hakman says he'll have to take a close look at the case of the Menendez brothers once he's on the job. The current DA, George Gascone, says the brothers have been modeled prisoners and he supports their release. Hawkman says his office's position on a possible release will not depend on polls or politics.
Speaker 5: If you decide this case based on just reviewing a Netflix documentary, you're not doing a You're doing a disservice to the Menendez brothers, to the victim family members, to the public.
Speaker 4: He says whatever decision he makes, he will have to defend in court.
Speaker 1: A hearing is set for December. The Menendez brothers have also asked Governor Newsom for clemency. Two US destroyers attacked in the Middle East this week or from San Diego.
Speaker 6: Alndagon says Yemen's Hoothy rebels attacked the two US destroyers on a waterway between the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden. Those destroyers, the USS Stockdale and the USS Bruins, were escorting the USS aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 4: Twenty four Sevensbury, Tennis says the ships were attacked with missiles and drones. The Pentagon says the ships are heavily armed and were not damaged. A bear damaged some cars in southern California, but it turned out to be a honey of a story.
Speaker 7: Investigators claim there was no bear, it was someone in a bear costume. They say it was part of an attempt to make fraudulent insurance claims. The state Department of Insurance uncovered the scam and what it's called Operation bear Claw. Three of the suspects are from Glendale and others from Valley Village. They face charges of insurance fraud and conspiracy after allegedly claiming a bear damaged a Rolls Royce and two Mercedes at Lake Arrowhead. Video provided by the suspects proved to be their undoing in the alleged fraud that cost insurance companies more than one hundred and forty thousand dollars. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 4: Such an interesting story, sorry, Like, how do people come up with this kind of stuff? Let's see what Nick Pauliochini can come up with when we take our first look at your morning commute.
Speaker 1: Good morning Nick, Well, it's going to be the.
Speaker 3: Usual suspects amy.
Speaker 2: As folks are making away through the Inland Empire, so westbound side of the ninety one riversit through Corona, knock on wood, nothing in lanes, but definitely the usual suspects for stretches of slowing riverside through Corona from as far back as Tyler or almost Van Buren.
Speaker 3: As you make your way.
Speaker 2: Westbound along the ninety one beyond the fifteen and the seventy one toward the two forty one Toll Road, already seeing busy one and then for the westbound as you make way into Orange County through Yorberlain and Anaheim Hills. Looks better for your drive as you continue toward the fifty five northound side of the two fifteen through Marina Valley. Going to be a rough go for you as you make way from as far back as Alessandro, continuing past the Murder of the sixties, you make way toward Ucri in Riverside southund side of the fifteen coming out of the high Desert, already seeing a busy one for you through the cohom Pass. Going to be stretches of swelling for you as you come away from as far back as Ranchero Road, passing Oak Hill and the one thirty eight as you make it past Clighorn toward ken What's going to be patches of sewing for you, but a better drive very as you make way toward the split with the two fifteen into Ore For something California, it's only airborne traffic reports. I'm Poliokeani.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Nick, it's five seven on your Thursday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, the President and the man who will be president sat down for a meeting yesterday.
Speaker 8: How did it go did yesterday? I mean, it was quite a photo op just to see this moment. It was very brief when the cameras were let into the Oval Office, but to paint the picture for you, they were seated side by side in front of a roaring fire, which President Biden loves to do and people come to visit him. In the Oval Office, we saw the President offer his congratulations to Trump and say welcome back to the White House and that he was going to do everything we can to make sure you're accommodated. He said, we'll get you what you need. The President elect said that politics is tough and in many cases it's not a very nice world. But he said it's a nice world today and he appreciates that very much. He repeated that later when he said that you know, the transition will be as smooth as it can get and that he appreciates that very much from the Biden team. Yeah, but we talked about this just how striking the moment was that four years ago they didn't have a meeting like this. President Trump did not invite Joe Biden to the White House after his election win. But yesterday it was pleasantries. It was handshakes and smiles, and then a two hour meeting, And the White House was pointing to that to show that they had a lot to talk about, that it was a good meeting. They called it very cordial, very gracious, substantive and exchange of views, and that it went pretty long. They had a lot to talk about on national security and domestic policy issues.
Speaker 4: Karen, do they give us readouts on that? I mean, like you know, curin JOm Pierre kind of said, here's what they talked about, But did they tell us specifically? Are these private conversations between two leaders.
Speaker 8: I think they were pretty candid talking about what they talked about. I mean her from the National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan yesterday who said that the President reinforced his view that the US standing with and supporting Ukraine is in the national security interests because a strong and stable Europe and standing up to aggressors and dictate is vital to making sure the United States doesn't get dragged directly into a war. This was an important point the President brought up and also said that the administration intends to spend all the money that Congress has approved on behalf of Ukraine before they leave office, you know. And I think certain questions that we were asking, the White House will say, we'll leave that to the private meeting. But I think it was notable how much they were willing to talk about this afterwards.
Speaker 4: And was it more President Biden talking and Trump listening, like Biden saying, here's what we're doing, here's what we want to do, here's what we have done, or do we know?
Speaker 8: They called it an exchange of views, and they're not going to get into how many minutes each one talked.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you mentioned that fire, Like everything that I was watching yesterday was like, did you see that fire? Did you see that fire? That was a really big fire? Is that really common? I've never seen a fire comment.
Speaker 8: He does it every time any world leader when it drops below like fifty two degre in Washington. It was just very cold there, Okay, members of Congress, it's a cold building. It's a little bit drafty in the building. But he also I think just enjoys it. But they do a very nice job tending that fire. I'm very jealous of their ability to keep it going like that.
Speaker 4: I know it's a real fire. You could hear the like it was burning so hot. You could hear the crackling, and stuff looked great.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So Trump is continuing to name his choices for his administration, and who do we find out about yesterday?
Speaker 8: Yesterday the big headline was the President saying he's going to nominate Matt Gates, Republican Congressman from Florida, until last night when he resigned from his position to be the Attorney General, which was a really shocking announcement. Yesterday, we are told that when House Republicans were meeting on Capitol Hill behind closed doors, there were audible gasps in the room when they found out that this was Trump's pick. I mean, that's how shocking it was. He was not on the shortlist that we were told about. He was not somebody that was even being vetted for the job. Like this really came out of nowhere. And just to underline, you know the significance of this. If you were to be confirmed, he would lead the Justice Department, of course, but For years, the Justice Department was leading an investigation into Gates for alleged obstruction of justice and alleged sex trafficking. They closed that investigation last year without bringing any charges. He has denied wrongdoing, but he was still facing an investigation by the House Ethics Committee for sexual misconduct and illicit drug use. That investigation was still ongoing. But when he resigned his position from Congress last night, that investigation comes to an end.
Speaker 1: It just goes. So can there be a criminal investigation because that.
Speaker 8: Was had been from the Justice Department, but they ended it last year.
Speaker 4: Oh but they okay, wow, okay, And I had a question because we don't We don't really know until they go up and actually go for confirmation. But they're like Matt Gates, who's obviously controversial. If he doesn't get it, then do they just go, you know what he can't get through, bring up another one, or do they keep trying to.
Speaker 8: Push all the nomination. I mean, he could get pulled before they even get to a hearing. They could pull it during a hearing. You know, they have a lot of options to do that. They could plow forward. You know, I think there were a lot of questions among senators yesterday about whether he could get to the votes needed to be confirmed. There was a lot of skepticism about that. So perhaps that means, you know, they don't get to the point of a hearing. But you know, obviously Donald Trump is somebody who stands by his picks. And we'll see where this goes.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we will be watching. Karen Travers. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 8: Have a great day.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 4: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Incoming La County d A. Nathan Hawkman, I already did this story?
Speaker 1: Hold on? How about this one?
Speaker 4: A bomb scare outside the Torrance Courthouse has been diffused.
Speaker 7: Torres police help get people out of the building while the bomb squad for the La County Sheriff's Department investigated a suspicious looking bag on a park bench just thirty feet away from the entrance to the courthouse. He's deployed a robot to assess the scene, and that robot determined that the bag was safe. A little over three hours later, a witness says that a camera showed someone in a hoodie placing the package on the bench. No arrests have been made, and the FBI is now assisting with the investigation.
Speaker 3: Andrew Caravella Kafi News.
Speaker 4: News brought to you by Ruterhiroo dot Com. A federal judge in LA has denied an effort by the US Department of Veterans Affairs to stall efforts to build more than one hundred temporary housing units for homeless veterans at the VA campus in West LA. An appeals court had issued a temporary stay of the judge's order. More legal wrangling is expected. Ten registered sex offenders in Lake Matthews have been arrested for failing probation and compliance checks. The Riverside County Sheriff's Department says officials did checks at about eighty five locations with eighty nine registrants and that those checks will continue. And allegedly missing actors from LA has apparently been found in Texas, but her family says it's not her.
Speaker 9: What I saw was a woman that did not look like my cousin. She was much skinnier this woman in this bodycam footage. She was wearing things that my cousin would not normally wear, and her voice was different.
Speaker 1: Danielle Tory Singh says she hasn't heard from her cousin Chanel Banks since the day before Halloween. Messages posted on banks social media claim that she was abused by her family and indicated she willingly left to as they read, escape my cage. Banks's husband said yesterday he believes the woman in Texas is his wife, but said he has not spoken to her. A Democratic State assembly woman from the San Joaquin Valley says she's concerned California's new fuel standards will hurt workers in her district.
Speaker 10: Jobs in farming industry, which my large rural district relies on, oftentimes requires workers to travel long distances. These are the hard working families that can least afford an increase in the cost of living.
Speaker 4: Es Merelda Soriyah says the recent decision by State Air Resources Board could raise the price of gas by forty seven cents per gallon Next year. President Biden plans to meet with Chinese President Shijin King when he visits Peru for the upcoming Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Summer Summit. This is the third time Biden and she will speak face to face, and the last planned meeting before he leaves office. The social media platform blue Sky has gained a million new users in the week since the election.
Speaker 11: Blue Sky says its total users have jumped to fifteen million. The platform, champion by ex Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, initially was invitation only, but in February it opened to the public. Across the platform, new users, including journalists, left leaning politicians and celebrities, have posted memes and shared they were looking forward to using a space free from advertisements and hate speech. Some said it reminded them of the early days of X when it was still Twitter. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 4: Disneyland's on again off against sales of Magic Key passes are off again. Disney halted sales of all levels of the popular annual passes after just one week.
Speaker 1: I thought that was.
Speaker 4: Interesting, and Nick poulio'keeni and I both have passes and we just renewed them because if you have a pass, you can renew it. But I think this was for new sales, and Nick kind of interesting that they pulled it after just a week.
Speaker 2: I'm really surprised. And I also was a price jump as well if you saw that, So not only was it a it was a price increase on top of new sales. So I'm curious if that had anything to do with it, If that was if they're going to look at a price restructuring.
Speaker 4: Well, if it could be one of two things, And of course we're just speculating here, but it could be like you said, that they jacked the prices up and people weren't buying them, or demand was so high because they only sell a certain amount of passes, demand was so high they cut it off.
Speaker 3: Right, which is very very possible, of course.
Speaker 1: Because Disney is a magical and wonderful place.
Speaker 2: That we it is, and our park, as you and I both very much know, magic key holders, which are the annual passes for our park, are very very popular because our parks are plush with annual pass holders.
Speaker 1: So as opposed to like Disney World.
Speaker 2: Yes, as opposed to Disney World, where they have annual pass holders instead of magic key holders, that park is a lot of global visitors that come in, so a lot of people that are just coming for the day and then leaving, as opposed to our parks which are just pull lush with a lot of locals that come in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a proximity thing for us.
Speaker 3: Correct, so many people living.
Speaker 1: Here, So we'll wait and see. We'll let you know if they go on sale again.
Speaker 4: And I don't think that we will probably ever know why, unless you said if they drop the prices, will know what happened.
Speaker 3: If they the general idea, Yeah, if.
Speaker 1: They don't, we won't.
Speaker 4: And Disney's very good at playing things close to the chest. The number of homes and buildings destroyed by the Santa Anna wind whipped fire inventor Accounty is up to two hundred and thirty six, with one hundred and twenty four more homes damage. Firefighters the more than twenty thousand acre fire that started a week ago seventy nine percent surround it good to see that they're making great progress on that. The family of a TV actress who says they have not heard or seen her in two weeks says she's still missing, but the LAPD says Chanel Banks has been found safe and unharmed. Her husband says she's been trying to get away from her family because of years of abuse. Her family says the woman the LAPD found is not Banks. Banks posted on her ig that she is not missing and went to Texas to get away from family. Hawkeye and Hertlocker star Jeremy Renner has been named the Grand Marshal of the ninety second Hollywood Christmas Parade next month. The parade will step off at six pm on December first, at six oh five.
Speaker 1: It's handle on the news.
Speaker 4: The Republicans are going to hold control of the House. Bill's going to be talking about that. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Peter Harralumbus's good morning.
Speaker 12: Peter, good morning, Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 4: So President Trump says on day one he's going to start deporting illegal immigrants. Probably easier said than done, but there's one group kind of chomping at the bit to see those deportations begin.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's exactly right. Executives at private prison companies are really embracing this moment and Trump's pledge to deport millions of undocumented immigrants in the United States. On recent earnings call, since the election, they've been quite open. The founder of the country's largest private prison group called this a potential sea change, saying that their company was built for this unique moment. Another executive at Corcivic, another one of these leading private prison companies said that we're heading into an error we simply haven't seen before, and their stocks have risen dramatically nearly eighty percent since the election.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so how would that all work?
Speaker 8: Do?
Speaker 1: I mean, do they know where?
Speaker 4: They're just speculating that if they do detain people, they're going to have to put them somewhere before they take them out of the country.
Speaker 12: I think that's exactly right. I don't think we have that many exact details about how this immigration plan is going to play out, but I think on the basic level, they know that one thing that the country is going to need is more beds at detention facilities in order to actually implement Trump's promise of deporting millions of undocumented immigrants. If you look to Tom Homan, the person that Trump is tapped to be a so called borders are, he's been quite open that he believes private prison companies are able to build beds for these on documented immigrants at at cheaper price and at a higher quality than the government would be able to and he's defended this use, saying that it's the right thing to do to use these private prison companies, even though the Biden administration has tried to separate themselves from these companies, basically trying to remove federal contracts from these private prison companies over the last four years. It's going to be a dramatic change under the Trump administration.
Speaker 1: And you said the Biden administration has distanced themselves from them.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so the Bureau of Prisons has tried to basically stop their contracts and stopped doing business with private prison companies because they've had basically a long track record of problems. But under the Trump administration, it seems like this is going to be a dramatic change and this is going to be something that they rely on. Under the Trump administration. In twenty sixteen through twenty twenty, they opened up at least forty new detention facilities, with about ninety percent of those facilities kind of going to private prison companies. I think it's safe to assume that we're going to see a similar kind of tactic with this new Trump administration.
Speaker 4: Okay, so, Peter, where where are these located? You said that forty new ones have opened up, But where where are they? Are they just in all the states or are they kind of clustered in certain areas.
Speaker 12: So during the Trump administration, most of those facilities were near major cities, basically population centers where the where the government was believed there were higher portions of undocumented immigrants. It seems like they're probably going to take a similar approach come this new administration, though, they're going to find the opposition. I spoke with California Attorney General Rob Bonti yesterday, who insisted that the state of California was going to oppose the Trump immigration agenda, that they're already drafting legislation to block it in court, and that the state itself would do nothing to help the Trump administration in their plans. BoNT is saying that if the Trump administration plans take action in the state of California, they're going to have to do it completely on their own. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: And Bonte is not shy about bringing suit against soon to be President Trump when he was in office last time. Wasn't it like one hundred and twenty lawsuits or something crazy like that.
Speaker 13: That's exactly right.
Speaker 12: The state of California really led the legal charge against the Trump administration last time around.
Speaker 4: Okay, and then Peter you mentioned that they're already focused on illegal immigrants. So are they up and running in full or half full or half empty, or do we know the status of those private prisons now or are they kind of emptied out because for so long the Biden administration really wasn't enforcing the border.
Speaker 12: That's a great point. So they've actually have a ton of capacity at this point based on the fact that the Biden administration has kind of decreased their overall reliance on these companies. So, for example, the Geo Group, which is the country's largest private prison company, already has a ton of capacity that they could immediately bring back functionality. The Trump administration itself hasn't necessarily been too clear about how this mass deportation plan was going to go. They've suggested that the first step is going to be deporting folks who already in prison for having committed crimes, though they've suggested that the next step might be returning to this policy of workplace raids.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, it's going to be interesting to see because, as you said, there's going to be a lot of resistance to it obviously, and whether they can carry it out because it's immediately going to land in court, right.
Speaker 12: Is going to be. It's not going to be an easy run in terms of implementation. I think it's safe to say that we're going to see, you know, a mountain of legal opposition from Democratic states and attorney generals.
Speaker 4: Okay, and we'll be watching it. Peter Harlumbus, thank you so much for all the information.
Speaker 12: Thanks so much, Jamie for having me talk to you.
Speaker 11: Soon.
Speaker 4: Let's get back to some of the stories getting coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Orange County Republican Congresswoman Michelle Steele's lead over Democratic challenger Derek Tran is shrinking. She now leads by about three hundred and fifty votes. She was ahead by more than seventy five hundred votes after Friday's count. It's not clear how many ballots remain. Republicans have won enough seats to keep control of the US House, so win in Arizona yesterday and one in California gave the Republicans the two hundred and eighteen seats that make up the majority. Republicans also won control of the Senate in this election. A survey Show's Vice President Harris has strong support in California should she choose to run for governor.
Speaker 8: However, the poll indicates that support for her as governor is lower than for her presidential run this year, with forty six percent of likely voters showing at least some interest in her bid for governor.
Speaker 4: Twenty four sevens Lisa Taylor says Harris got almost fifty nine percent of the vote in California in the presidential race. Final numbers will be certified next month. The governor poll was done by the UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies co sponsored by the La Times. A man from Glendale is accused of murdering a couple from Orange County over money.
Speaker 7: He allegedly did it by beating the wife with a hammer, shooting the couple, and then setting their bodies on fire in the desert last month. Police say Juanting Gong apparently owed eighty thousand dollars to the husband, who was a business associate. Once the husband was murdered, Gong apparently killed the wife. He's also accused of stealing two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in luxury goods from the couple's home following the murders. Gong is looking at life in prison or the death penalty if convicted. Arraignment is scheduled for December second. Andrew Caravella, KFI News.
Speaker 4: Tech funded group net Choice has sued California at a block a new law aimed at reducing social media addiction among young users. The law requires social media platforms to show posts in chronological order for users under eighteen, rather than using the algorithms that would rank them differently. It also would prohibit notifications for these users during school hours and from midnight to six am, which is done in an effort to promote better focus and sleep. La Mayor Bass and the City Attorney of A released draft language for LA's sanctuary City ordinance. It took about a year to get it all together.
Speaker 1: It would prohibit any city resources or personnel from being used to help federal enforcement of immigration laws. The ordinance could come before the full La City Council as soon as next week. Resident elect Trump's has held to port illegal immigrants. On day one of his presidency.
Speaker 4: The California Public Utilities Commission is released a proposal that calls for regular assessments of gas levels at the Aliso Canyon Natural Gas Facility in Porter Ranch and sets a usage demand level that could trigger the site's closure. Thousands of residents became sick because of methane releases back in twenty fifteen. They've been pushing for the facility to be permanently closed for years. California has some of the healthiest cities in the US. A Forbes study ranked San Jose as the healthiest city in the US based on things like heart disease deaths, opioid deaths, OB city, and the percentage of adults with diabetes. La Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, and Oakland all ranked in the top twenty. Analysts suggest that education, income level, and even commuting patterns could influence why some cities are healthier than others. At six oh five, its handle on the news. The president and the man who would be president had a sit down meeting in front of a roaring fire.
Speaker 1: Bill was going to tell you about that.
Speaker 4: At five point fifty, we're talking UFOs with ABC's Jim Ryan, because Congress is also talking et This week, we're going out and about to downtown La to mocha, not the kind that Kono was referring to. It's the Museum of Contemporary Art at the Geffen, and we went the other day I took my brother Steve King with me. He is an architectural photographer and he's a professor, a professor of art photography at cal State San Bernardino, and I thought it might be good to have him there because while I go to an art museum and I look at it and I go ooh, that's pretty, Steve is more analytical and introspective, and I love the way he sees and explains things.
Speaker 1: So who is the artist behind the exhibit called Open.
Speaker 14: All for ELIASA? Who's an Icelandic artist who works with I mean, he's a kind of a sculptor, but he's I always think he's much interested in perception and vision and how we see and what we see.
Speaker 1: And when we come in here today, I want to kind of walk through a couple of the things that we've seen. We walked into this big room and they there were these just very stark, industrial looking towers, and then you go inside or underneath and you look up and it basically shows us what his vision is to play with light. And I don't understand how he does what he does so well. He's used a sense of it.
Speaker 14: I don't know if I can make sense of it. He uses mirrors in this exhibition, he's using a lot of mirrors and then a lot of mirrors reflecting off mirrors to create a kind of he's creating a sense of space with the mirrors, and then he's doing things within that space that kind of challenge your maybe your sense of reality or something so optical. They're illusions. But you know, everything you see is actually an illusion. Like everything you see is actually a construction of your brain. So your eye, light comes in your eye, it turns into a kind of an electric signal, it goes into your brain, and then your brain constitutes an image. There's no light in your brain.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank god for eyes.
Speaker 14: Yeah, okay, but so that so it's really what you see is.
Speaker 3: A construction of your mind. Okay, okay.
Speaker 14: And so what he's doing is he's playing seems to me, he's playing with that idea of the construction of reality. So when you look at those mirrored columns down below, I mean you're seeing a kind of space. He's creating a kind of sense of space because that you're seeing, but it's all reflected space.
Speaker 1: It's all illusionary space, right like it looks. It's not a very big space. They're like four by eight or six by six, but you looked up and it looks like this infinite expanse of space. It's pretty cool. Here's another one that we're looking at. I call it the Ring Room. Check this out. So it's not a very big room, but when you first walk in, it looks like it's the size of a couple of football fields. It looks massive, but it's only about what thirty or forty feet across. But the mirrors and the light play with it, and what you get is these the illusion. They love it rings floating.
Speaker 14: But the rings are only halfway, like the ring itself is only a half ring. The if you go look, you can look behind these.
Speaker 1: You can look behind the wall.
Speaker 14: You can look behind the wall, and you'll see that there's no the ring doesn't continue. It only continues in your vision. It only continues in the reflection.
Speaker 1: And so it's our minds trying to make sense of it. So we make this perfect ring and it's floating.
Speaker 14: Well, I mean, it's a vision. It's not more than your mind, but it is because it is. It is an image that is being created in your mind, like everything's an image in your mind, and This image simply completes the ring into something that it's not. So it's an illusion because you're not seeing a ring, You're only seeing half a ring. That's it's he's manipulating you to show you that you're It makes you think you're seeing a whole ring. It makes you think these rings are floating in space without any connection to the world, but they're actually in actuality, They're they're very connected, okay, like through the surface.
Speaker 1: This stuff just blows my mind, and I think that we can talk about it, but I think you really need to come see it experience and if you can find a good docint like my big brother.
Speaker 14: You don't even need a good docent.
Speaker 3: It's so easy. It's so cool everybody.
Speaker 14: You don't need to any art in any art knowledge at all. This is just like pure visual experience and it's for everybody, and.
Speaker 1: It's very, very impressive, and I swear it's going to blow your mind just a little bit. We're at Mocha out and about for a wake up call.
Speaker 4: So did you see how I basically did do that? I'm like, oh, it's pretty and then he explains how it happens. He does such a great job with that. Maybe that's why he's a professor and you should see some of his work too if you're interested. It's Steve kingphoto dot com. Also, I'm going to put up the interview on my ig at amy K King and I hope you'll go see the exhibit because it really is just so interesting and like I said, it's just like, how did they do that?
Speaker 1: How does that happen? How are we seeing that? You know?
Speaker 4: But this will give you a sneak peek at some of the incredible exhibits that you'll see at Mocha. Would also love for you to follow me at amy Kking. And like I said, we're going to put the interview up on my ig. There's a little teaser interview with one of the rooms in there up right now, but we'll put the full interview up again at amy K.
Speaker 1: King.
Speaker 4: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Governor Newsom has returned to California after meeting with President Biden and congressional Democrats in Washington, d C. Newsom's meetings this week were intended to protect disaster funding and clean air protections. When President elect Trump takes office, and I guess that's what people voted for.
Speaker 9: But I got to tell you, a lot of folks will be hurt if we don't push back, and so.
Speaker 3: We're going to be a firm.
Speaker 4: Newsom says President Biden would never hesitate to help California during disasters. The LAPD is trying to find a guy who tried to carjack at least three women in East LA in just a matter of hours. The guy appears to target women at gas stations. The women attacked last weekend were able to fight him off. In one case, the guy busted the driver's window with a hard object before he ran away. The man is Hispanic, about five foot nine and one hundred eighty pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. The parent of a student at c Rito's High School says a teacher left her class last week because a kid was wearing a shirt that read make America great Again. The teacher allegedly posted a long note to her students saying it's unfair that students can wear political clothing but teachers cannot. Courts have ruled students are granted more free speech leeway because they're required to go to school the district says it is investigating the teacher's actions and that educators should have meaningful and age appropriate classroom discussions with their students. Officials in San Bernardino County have been preparing for the winter months in the mountains, especial especially if another deadly blizzard blows in.
Speaker 7: Several pieces of heavy equipment have been added to the county snow force. That means they now have one hundred snowplow machines. Fidolino or Royo, a heavy equipment transporter for the county, says the equipment makes it more efficient for what they do.
Speaker 15: Say it's snowing and all of a sudden, it starts ringing, starts smelting out the snow, and you got to move dirt and mud. You could go back to your drop your bucket, put on the attachment that you need, go back out there.
Speaker 7: The county Sheriff's department reported thirteen depths in the San Bernentino Mountain communities during the twenty twenty three blizzard. It's not clear if the severe snowstorm contributed to those incidents. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 4: A new study by the Cleveland Clinic and the Universe. University of Southern California has found COVID nineteen increases the odds of a heart attack or stroke.
Speaker 6: The study shows that those who get COVID are twice as likely to suffer a fatal heart attack, stroke, or death were up to three years after a COVID diagnosis.
Speaker 4: Twenty four seven's Tammy Truhio says the risk is even higher for people who've been in the hospital because of COVID or who have a history of heart disease. San Pedro will welcome Croatia's Olympics House during the twenty twenty eight Summer Games.
Speaker 7: The agreement will bring a cultural hub known as the Croatia House to San Pedro during the twenty twenty eight Games. US Ambassador to Croatia, Natalie Reyes says the country has deep historic connections to the LA community.
Speaker 3: We will continue.
Speaker 6: Building bridges between the great city of Los Angeles and the beautiful country of Croatia.
Speaker 7: City Councilman Timoco Oscar and County Supervisor Jennis Hahn or in Zagreb this week, and Olympics House serves as a country's cultural center for fans within the host city during the Games. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 4: So we're all at the workplace. We spend a lot of time here. I mean, for some of us, we spend more time at work than we do at home. And Monster dot COM's been watching. They want to know what's up at work, what kinds of behaviors are people exhibiting at work, and what kinds of behaviors drive people crazy. Their report has for the twenty twenty four work Watch report has a section called bring your Manners to Work, and it found that seventy percent of workers almost seventy percent would consider leaving their job if their employer did not have policies in place around workplace etiquette, and nearly a third of those surveyed said they didn't feel their workplace is a respectful environment where manners are valued. So, Nick, I want to know, do you have a workplace pet Peeve?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it too?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 12: What no?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 2: I think it sounds funny like I and we we've talked about this before because there's so many emails that go back and forth. So while I appreciate the thank you emails that constantly come through, my inbox already has too many emails, but there's a lot of times I never see please attached to any of the massive emails, so manners seem to have dropped off emails in general.
Speaker 1: So you just want a good please and thank you.
Speaker 2: I want a good please and thank you, but not I don't need the follow up thank you on every single email, that makes sense. So on the initial email, please can you do this blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, I don't need every follow up thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got it kind of if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, reply all is a big one around here because we need apply all. There's a lot of alls.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of alls within our company, so yes, that's a big pet. Peeve is like, no, just say thank you just to the one person with the rest of us don't need it.
Speaker 3: We get it, So yeah, you got it.
Speaker 1: Cono, do you have one?
Speaker 15: Well, given, we work in radio and I have to listen for certain things that are said, so I'm like very in tune to what's being said.
Speaker 3: Eating on the air. Ooh good call.
Speaker 15: Like hearing someone chew ever just makes my skin crawl.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm not going to take a bite to my oatmeil right now.
Speaker 15: No, no, at least no.
Speaker 4: No, Okay, I thought you were going to say, because you were saying how you had to listen for stuff that you might be saying that language was a pet peeve of yours. So you have to watch because if somebody drops an F bomb, you got to dump it.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 4: But yeah, So according to this survey, here are the things in order from least rude to most rude. Consistent tardiness because and I think yeah, because like some people, when that happens, you're like, how come I have to be here on time and they're not And we're all getting paid the same for the same amount of time and work and all that stuff. Unresponsive to messages as opposed to Nick's over responsive to messages. But I know, like if you send an email, you should acknowledge it because you want to make sure that they got it right.
Speaker 2: And then we also write no, that's very big, and then you know they have especially because we use Microsoft, they have the little thumbs up that you can do. And that's fine, especially during work hours because at least I'm sitting in front of a computer, so or maybe you are amy you're being quiet, so maybe you don't know the little thumbs.
Speaker 4: Up the mail arctic, you know what, I am technologically challenged, but I do know about the thumbs.
Speaker 2: Okay, So no, no, And I wasn't saying that snarkily. I'm just saying because that's really good because it's super quick and easy and that okay, good, you got my email.
Speaker 3: You understand, we're good. We're on the same page. So it's quick.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like that too.
Speaker 4: Using an appropriate language is one of the things that makes the list. And of course I was sitting in my office or not my office, I don't have an office. I was sitting in the office with the new boss yesterday and I went, I swore three times. I was like, what what was I doing? Like, you're not thinking? When I left, I went, that was probably wrong.
Speaker 3: Amy I love that, I know, right, Okay.
Speaker 4: So gossiping is another one, and I agree because like this is a workplace, like if you have an issue with somebody, go talk to that person, as opposed to talking to everybody and gossiping because it feels so very high schooly. You know, that might be that might be a goal that is unattainable. But and then this is the other one because I'm constantly cleaning our breakroom. Do you guys have a problem if they don't clean up after themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we don't have anybody that works here, so I don't know. I do the same.
Speaker 15: At the breakroom, though I have to clean up the desk. There's like trash of like splendor or sugar on the counter, like what is happening?
Speaker 1: And we have black countertops, so it's even worse.
Speaker 4: But just some things to think of, especially because as more and more people are heading back to the office full time.
Speaker 1: You know, you work with these people. Let's have manners, shall we.
Speaker 4: Hey, all eyes are going to be on Sofi Stadium when Joe Burrow and the Cincinnati Bengals visit Justin Herbert and the Los Angeles Chargers this Sunday on Sunday night. Football kickoff is at five point twenty. There are still some tickets, so you can get yours at Chargers dot com slash tickets. And if you haven't been to Sofi yet, it's so amazing, such a great I mean, even if you're not a football fan, it's a great place to go see.
Speaker 1: But of course you are. If you're going to go to the Chargers game.
Speaker 4: You can also listen to the game on All ninety eight to seven Bolt Up. A survey from the UC Berkeley Institute shows that nearly half of voters in California might support Vice President Harris if she runs for governor of California. The poll also shows support for her as governor is actually lower than for her presidential run this year. Forty six percent support a run for governor, fifty nine percent supported her run for president. The LAPD is looking for the man who tried to violently carjack three women in the same day. Police just yesterday announced details of the attempted carjackings that happens Saturday gas stations in East LA Lincoln Heights and Boiled Heights.
Speaker 1: Please say.
Speaker 4: The guy they're looking for is forty nine year old Maurice Latour. He is considered armed and dangerous. Four people have been arrested for claiming that three high end vehicle were damaged by a bear. They made insurance claims that a bear had climbed inside their vehicles, including a Rolls Royce in Lake Arrowhead, and tore up the interior. They provided video to back up their claims, but it turns out it was a person in a bear suit before being charged with insurance fraud. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning. This one shocked about everyone in Washington. President elect Trump has made his pick for attorney general. Okay, so we're talking to Jim Ryan. But I couldn't pick which theme I wanted to use. But I think we'll do this.
Speaker 1: Space a final there we go before.
Speaker 13: We kill the voyages of the starship Enter.
Speaker 3: Problems to you, but that's what we talked about.
Speaker 1: Do you want to just do it to seek out strange new worlds, to seek out new life.
Speaker 13: Life and new civilizations.
Speaker 4: As he says, yeah, okay, so well okay, wait before we start though talk.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk youfos. But what's your pet pava work?
Speaker 13: I saw that bear suit? That was real? What were they thinking? That was the dumbest. Have you seen the video?
Speaker 1: I have not seen the video.
Speaker 13: Oh boy, it's like a sketchy sort of ring doorbell video. Looks realistic, but then you see the car come open and this bear climbs in and starts scratching around. It's it's so obviously somebody in a bear suit. It's ridiculous. And yeah, people who leave the coffee pot and I know you guys have a high end coffee maker there, but.
Speaker 1: You make individual cups here.
Speaker 13: Yeah. Bad for the environment.
Speaker 1: Well, not curing. It's like a it's a coffee machine. Thats okay, that's.
Speaker 13: Cool, Okay, good. Yeah, leaving the coffee pot on it boils down until you've got this black stuff, this tar in the bottom of the pot that you can smell for forever. Yeah, that's bad.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, let's get back on check.
Speaker 4: You're talking about UFOs again because Congress is talking about uf.
Speaker 13: UAPs unidentified anomalist phenomena.
Speaker 1: I really like UFO better.
Speaker 4: Why Because they're obviously flying objects, So why don't we call them that?
Speaker 13: Because some of these have been seen in the water. Oh okay, so that takes the flying out of it. They are unidentified, they're anomalists, meaning they really don't belong there. Phenomena meaning it it's a thing that happened maybe can't be explained. So that's sort of the all encompassing the umbrella term UAPs because some of these have been seen in the water. We heard testimony about that yesterday. It was a House subcommittee, the House Committee on Oversight, Down Accountability. Two of its sub committees got together. The hearing they heard from witnesses took about two hours, and some of these folks had pretty strong resumes. Some of these witnesses, you know, the former administrator at NASA, a former intelligence officer, Folks who should know what they're talking about, and now are saying that they're whistleblowers essentially and coming forward to discuss what they know about UAPs.
Speaker 1: And what do they know.
Speaker 13: They believe it's a conspiracy, and you know that the government is covering things up, that there's a lot more out there to be learned. This wasn't like the hearing we had last year early last year when videos were presented and we saw the that F eighteen video of the that that weird shape or that object that the fighter pilots were trying to track eventually lost. This was more that I don't think that there were there were any videos shown yesterday at all. So it was there a show and tell. It was more tell and probably less show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want I want the show. Yeah everybody does you know I'm the doubting Thomas.
Speaker 13: Right well, and so yeah, it was It's interesting timing of this hearing yesterday because we're about to get a whole new Congress, We're going to get a whole new administration in Washington. The White House is so what does it all mean? And Trump said during his life as presidency that he didn't really have an an opinion about the subject of UFOs UAPs, but he did want to see more transparency on the subject. And that's kind of what the call was yesterday to open up everything, let us all see what's there, and then you know, let the chips fall. I mean, if it's some great grand you know, discussion of life outside of earth and so.
Speaker 1: Be it interesting stuff. But again, I want to see.
Speaker 13: What do you want to see?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 13: Are you a believer?
Speaker 1: I need to see stuff.
Speaker 13: So you don't you're skeptical.
Speaker 1: There you have it. ABC's Jim Ryan, thank you. See hey, all right, talk to you soon.
Speaker 4: This is KFI and kosd HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland. Weather from KFI sunny, breezy at times, highs around seventy at the beaches Metro LA and in the Orange County lo to mid seventies in the valley's mid deper seventies and the ie sixties in the Antelope Valley, a couple degrees cooler Tomorrow, with heis in the sixties to mid seventies, thirty percent chance of showers overnight with lows in the forties and fifties, then a slight chance of showers Friday, otherwise partly cloudy. Hi's just in the fifties and sixties, becoming sunny Saturday, still cool, with high's just in the fifties and sixties. Sunday on Sunday with highs in the mid sixties to about seventy still just fifties for the High Desert. It's forty eight in Anaheim, fifty three Redondo Beach, fifty two in Sherman Oaks, fifty three in Whittier. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any a wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.