Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: There's still more going on.
Speaker 3: I mean, the latest with the tariffs is the President now is talking about a two hundred percent tariff on liquor and alcohol that comes in from I would be.
Speaker 1: At Bevmo right now buying all the champagne that I could had I not put the bottle down for a while.
Speaker 2: Legit Shama, I would.
Speaker 1: Be stalking up because if you use, yeah, legit champagne, because if you mark that up two hundred.
Speaker 2: Percent, that is punitive.
Speaker 1: That is like nobody's gonna buy it, and then all the California prices will be elevated as well, because.
Speaker 3: Why I am exactly there's an aid to the Kremlin, who has said that they have rejected already this thirty day ceasefire proposal that we've come up with, at least the United States and Ukraine had come up with. Today, we know that Vladimir Putin is supposed to be He is meeting with Lukashenko, the president of Belarus, in Moscow. Also expected to have a face to face meeting with Donald Trump's envoy to Russia and Ukraine, a guy named Steve Whitkoff, So we'll see if that goes, if that goes anywhere. Strange story out of DC also is that the White House has withdrawn the nomination of Dave Welden to be the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This is now a position that would have to go through Senate confirmation, and according to a couple of different reports, he may have been in the car on the way to Capitol Hill to testify before the Senate Committee when his name was pulled. He apparently had a face to face meeting with Senator Patty Murray of Washington State yesterday and she came out very adamantly against it and said that he is anti vaccine and says that vaccines cause autism. I don't know enough about his stance to say if she's telling the truth about that, But Dave Weldon has had his name pulled, so he will not be up for the head of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Speaker 1: Did you hear about the wicked step mother that kept her step son in captivity for decades?
Speaker 2: Not a good was it?
Speaker 3: Connecticut I think it was, and we've said, we'd say it over and over and over again, there's always another one. It's it's sort of the Turpin rule that we've learned to embrace here as drastic and radical and out of the ordinary. Some of these stories tend to be there's always another one, and there's one going on right now somewhere. Okay, just a short time ago, the National Weather Service did confirm yes, in fact, that was a tornado and Pico Rivera this morning.
Speaker 4: They confirmed EF zero tornado high end EF zero tornado at eighty five miles per hour that moved through Rivera at approximately three point fifteen am Pacific daylight time. This tornado lasted for approximately two minutes. And the proced days leading up to this tornado, the National Weather Service in Los Angeles, Oxnard, the team that I proudly leave that I probably lead at the National Weather Service is has been messaging and communicating the potential for small, brief week tornadoes to occur with the storm system. This has been something that we've been highlighting as a potential danger that could accompany the storm system, including the potential for tornadoes.
Speaker 3: Okay, so there is still a possibility that we could see some rain showers off and on through the course of today, and even the slight chance of some thunderstorms later this afternoon. But for the most part, if you're anywhere south of LA you might still see some rain to the most. For the most part, north of downtown, LA has been dry most of the morning and will continue to be dry through the rest of the afternoon. Like I said, there is still some pretty heavy cells anywhere from Orange County south San Diego still getting hit pretty hard, and some of those mountains.
Speaker 2: Look pretty nice.
Speaker 3: The snow levels were down about thirty five hundred feet, so you're gonna be able to see a lot of that. But to be honest, I didn't see I saw barely saw sprinkles before I went to bed last night, and it didn't rain at all when I was driving into work today. So whatever happened, Casey Montoya, when we talked to her twenty four hours ago, it happens all absolutely correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it happened while we were sleeping.
Speaker 5: It happened before you got up. When I got up this morning, it was pooring. Was it pouring for wake up call? Oh yeah, several hours.
Speaker 2: That's how I like listening to wake Up call the best.
Speaker 1: I like to be curled up in bed with sixteen different blankets, all snugly, and have Amy King right next to me on my phone telling me what's going on.
Speaker 2: I'm serious, it's very soothing. Did you see that.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm not making it your money, You're not making really enjoy waking up to your voice.
Speaker 2: I really enjoy it. It's very soothing.
Speaker 3: Jackie of Jackie in Shadow Fame. Of course, the Paul Deagles have been Big Bear. She just did the shuffle thing to get all the snow off of her, but she had about three inches of snow piled up on her back.
Speaker 1: That's because she's a good mother, right Amy, She's like squatting on those kids.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she And there's there's up to ten inches has fallen in Big Bear. So she just kind of shakes off, and then those walls around the kids get higher and higher.
Speaker 2: She is so bad ass, isn't she?
Speaker 1: She totally isn't Jackie like a perfect name for a badass mom. Like I just love that it's got enough dad in it with the old jack thing, and then like Jackie, I don't know, I.
Speaker 3: Love this, just be badass on their own. They got to have some male quality.
Speaker 2: I love that name. I love that name for her moms. Why do you hate women?
Speaker 5: Well, it makes more sense though than Felicity. That's too Felicity. It's stupid, it's too dainty. I mean, it's beautiful to get her child's name.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: She's a beautiful flower. But not for like a battle axe, you know. Jackie's kind of a battle axe, like no one's messing around her kids.
Speaker 2: She lives off the land.
Speaker 1: She picks out the innerds of dead animals to feed her young.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 2: She's not a Felicity, She's a Jackie.
Speaker 3: A couple of weeks ago, I told you a story about something I saw on my Twitter feed. It was like the porn no, the spider thing, the weird human spider that was eating another person in an airport, like clearly computer generator or something. There's a story also about these weird, dark, strange things that are appearing on people's social media feeds. The one example that's given in the article is a old woman breastfeeding a panda human hybrid. Jesus, it's clearly computer generator.
Speaker 2: The hell are you listen? I'm not seeing it I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: It's there because there's an algorithm, Like I just get like awful, hedonistic, drunkard party girl stuff in my in my Instagram feed, like they the algorithm is real yours. You're getting old women breastfeeding b I am getting that.
Speaker 2: People. I want to know what's going on in your life.
Speaker 3: Well, I would love to know what is the weirdest thing that you've seen in your We don't need the nudity or anything like that. That's ubiquitous, that's not You're not going to surprise anybody.
Speaker 1: Like my alar rhythm gives me stuff that would have been topical like twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: There's also it's like, come on, give me the quilts, give me the bingo. I've moved on.
Speaker 3: We'll also talk about our tariffs when we come back. The latest Thursday tariff day or something. Amy King live in the KFI aaraf day sounds awful.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I pull the nose up real quick before we careen into the ground.
Speaker 3: Paying one hundred and fifty bucks for a bottle of champagne.
Speaker 2: No, that's awful awful as well.
Speaker 1: I did get several messages that people appreciated our genital talk from yesterday. As many hits we got about genital talk, it made just as many people happy.
Speaker 2: I remember what we were talking about, the astronauts and the genitals. Oh got it?
Speaker 3: Okay, By the way, I gotta wait at least another day. What's the rocket day? The rocket doesn't launch it until tomorrow.
Speaker 2: That is one more day.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 8: Oh my goodness, Shannon, we're like sisters, like gal pals forever now. I also love to be under about sixteen different blankets, smuggled with my CLL phone next to my ear nestled in listening to Amy King. See Amy, what the day is gonna start with? And that's not playkating. We love you, Amy King, true, but for real, Shannon, let's do this, let's do this. Let's make this a great day. We started off with Amy King?
Speaker 2: Anyway? I don't know?
Speaker 1: Bye ye, Yes, let's win the day. Let's go f up this Thursday.
Speaker 2: Why shouldn't we win the day? Can you hear that? I'm watching the Eagles? I can. It's very peaceful, very cold up. There's what it looks.
Speaker 1: Like when you were gone Keanu said, I wish that I could just watch this eagle cam.
Speaker 2: The whole time, I was like, I hear that.
Speaker 1: I hear that I too would like to watch the eagle cam instead of listening to me.
Speaker 3: It is funny, I mean just I mean, at any given point, like I was saying the other day, there's sixty six thousand people who have the or watch it is currently on YouTube.
Speaker 2: That's just on the YouTube channel.
Speaker 3: I mean there are other people that just go straight to the website to watch it. And I would imagine that the vast majority of people, it's not even that they're like chin in their hands, like face to the screen, like watching, because there's not a lot of activity, but they're just looking at what is just so calm, just having.
Speaker 1: It on while you're working and doing other things. Yeah, there's there's definitely a benefit to that. Conversely, did you hear about the dumb ass that went to Australia and stole the baby wombat from the baby wombat's mother?
Speaker 2: Why are you laughing? It's awful because America, that's why could.
Speaker 1: You imagine someone crawling up into that nest and big Bear and stealing one of those babies and being like I got a.
Speaker 2: Baby eaglet ah, the mom looks mad at me. Better put it? Yeah, you better, your dumb ass.
Speaker 9: I mean, I just wanted to tell you in Newport it is pouring. It's a downpour and basically it poured all night long, heavy rain.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 9: So it's not over yet.
Speaker 2: No it's not.
Speaker 3: I say, most of the rain that's falling is south of downtown Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: So yes, Newport, you're so emphatic when you're wrong south of downtown and in better news, you're in Newport, beauty, right, I mean you're not in Bartol.
Speaker 3: When the sun comes out today, you're going to have a great day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's do this. Yeah, let's have a great day. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Before you get to any sort of secretary. I finished seventh season one last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys, what do you think?
Speaker 1: Holy crap with that last episode. Like, I get it, there was a lot of groundwork. It was slow. You really put in the work on that show. You put in the work watching that show. But to get to that last episode was worth it? What whoa? I'm still like okay, So, like I didn't want to race into season two because I want to like digest all of that last episode. There's so many possibilities, there's like machinations I have in my head of like what's going on and who and what and how and where and why? And I just kind of want to think about it for a while to really get the full you know, soak it in, Okay, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Because there's a lot of questions why wouldn't you turn around?
Speaker 1: And because I want to come up with my own hypotheses lame.
Speaker 3: You need to write a report on it. Also, just get into it.
Speaker 2: You are in a bad mood today. I'm not in a bit. We're going to think we're.
Speaker 10: Focused on is we're focused on the real economy. Can we create an environment where there are long term games in the market and long term games for the American people. I'm not concerned about the a little bit of volatility over three weeks.
Speaker 3: A little bit of volatility. That's the Secretary of the Treasury, the new one, Scott Bessant. In terms of that volatility, we're seeing the DOWT again in very negative territory, down almost five hundred points. S and P five hundred is down sixty six. Nasdaq is down two ninety three right now. And this is all because of the on again, off again tariff war that appears to be bubbling between the United States and everyone today. The President threatened to impose two hundred percent tariffs on alcohol from the European Union in response to the European unions fifty percent tariff on whiskey, which was in response to the American tariffs on steel and aluminum. So the truth social posts since that's how apparently we're doing policy now, says the European Union, one of the most hostile and abuse of taxing and tariffing authorities in the world, which was formed for the sole purpose of blah blah, blah blah. If this tariff, that fifty percent tariff on whiskey is not removed immediately, the US will shortly place a two hundred percent tariff on all wines, champagnes, and alcoholic products coming out of France and other EU represented countries. This will be great for the wine and champagne businesses in the United States.
Speaker 1: I kind of feel like we should play the theme to as the World turns, as we get into this news every day, But then it would be making light of everything. Maybe too much, because as the world turns, we've got Putin now rejecting an immediate ceasefire, saying that any pause and fighting at this point would be in Ukraine's interests. So we had the blow up in the Oval Office a couple fridays ago between Trump and Zelenski. So Lenci comes out the next week and says, Oop, that was regrettable. Yeah, I'm super thankful of the United States. They meet in Saudi Arabia this week, the delegates from both they come up with some sort of framework for a ceasefire, and now we're hearing from Russia and he says he wants to get together Putin does with the US counterparts. He apparently wants to have an audience with Trump to say, hey, where are we on.
Speaker 2: What I want again?
Speaker 1: Let's go back to what I want and then let's move forward with that, because he said the idea of a ceasefire is correct. We support it, he says, but there's issues we need to discuss, and I'd like to discuss it with our American colleagues and partners.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: We agree with the proposals to halt the fighting, but we proceed from the assumption that the ceasefire should lead to lasting peace, and we have our own things that we want.
Speaker 3: Essentially, there is a face to face meeting they're supposed to take place between Steve Witkoff, the American envoy to Ukraine and Russia, and Vladimir Putin. There was a story that just was published in The New York Times said that Putin agrees that fighting in Ukraine must end, but says that the plan has to lead to long term peace. So we'll see what comes out of out of Moscow today.
Speaker 1: Gary and Shannon will continue. We are seeing what people are skipping at the market. When it comes to extras extras elective shopping, I guess you could say needs versus once Right.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Tonight, the first total solar sorry, the first total lunar eclipse visible in North and South America, the first time in a couple of years that we've been able to see it. They said it's going to be a red colored blood moon in where we are. The expectation is we'll start to see it sometime about eleven o'clock. You'll be able to notice it, and then by twelve one in the morning, et cetera. It's going to be super obvious that there is a lunar eclipse. And they call it the blood the red colored blood moon, because.
Speaker 2: Do you know why. No, Oh, okay, good, I'll tell you pollution.
Speaker 3: No, the sunlight that scatters through the Earth's atmosphere reaches the Moon's surface and we see it bounce off. Obviously, the shorter wavelengths of light, the blues, the violets, they don't reach the moon. But the longer wavelengths, the red and the oranges, they do illuminate it. So that's why it's red and orange interesting orange blood. That's why we never have a blue or a grain moon. That's right, well, I mean blue moon, but not for it's not actually blue. It's not like it's like the wolf moon or whatever they call it. It's not actually a wolf it's not.
Speaker 1: Now I see your demon moon, and I raise you Jesus. Can I have some religious music you? Pope Francis is celebrating the twelfth anniversary of his election as Pope in the hospital. He has been hospitalized in Rome for nearly a month fighting pneumonia. But as we reported to you, seems to have turned the corner.
Speaker 2: The Pope woke up just wild.
Speaker 1: Vatican says tests have shown improvement, and an update from the Holy Sea Press Office as X ray is taken yesterday, radiologically can firmed Pope Francis's condition has improved. You remain stable as he receives high flow oxygen therapy during the day and non invasive mechanical ventilation at night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's still mechanical ventilations.
Speaker 1: Not it's just it I read into it. It's just the nose thing, the little nasal yanus all it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I guess that's better than nothing. I thought it was much more like archaic than that for some reason.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's but still it's not great, but it's better than nothing.
Speaker 2: Like Gary and Shannon, Charles and Oregon. Hr Gary, welcome back from your suspension. Have a great day. Somebody told me I got suspended yesterday. Oh it is for the Titas.
Speaker 6: Hey, it's morning, Gary and Shannon, it's Patty and Marietta, and it is buckets of rain, cats and dogs and men are raining down like dogs all night long, and right now it's just pouring again. Sober south of you and I guess we're getting your end of it.
Speaker 11: Also, can you guys talk about what happened up at Lomo Linda Hospital last night with the wanting where thousands of cops showed up and people were hiding from shooters and it was all fake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the say hi to my friend's Dave and Katie.
Speaker 3: There Marietta Malinda University Medical Center last night, they were told to shelter in place because they had a call of an active shooter and dozens and dozens of law enforcement officers showed up, as you would hope. Sheriff Shannon Dyka said that they did have some evidence on a suspect who may have placed the call in the first place, but he wasn't specifying. Sheriff's department said originally they got a report of a man with a gun possible man with a gun at Lomallinda University Medical Center just after Loma Linda University officials issued an alert at about quarter after six yesterday, which was warning staff visitors about an armed assailant in the pediatric emergency department. They cleared the hospital and then cleared the hospital. I mean they got everybody out and then we're able to make sure that there was nobody with the gun.
Speaker 2: Oh I completely. I realized we took that long to talk about that. We did.
Speaker 1: We got into the moon, we got into the Pope, we got into talkbacks and rain So why don't we just go ahead and talk about what people are skipping at the grocery store coming up next?
Speaker 3: A great idea. It's the want versus the need. It's the same tease we did fifteen minutes ago.
Speaker 1: Well, if there's anything constant, it's changed except for here, except for this.
Speaker 2: Wrap your head around that.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 12: Hey, Gary and Channon, I love your show. So I work from home and I frequently have the Eagle Cam on in the background, and it is very soothing and relaxing, the wind in the trees up there till Jackie your shadow does one of their piercing eagle shrieks, and I have forgotten that it's on, and I just about jump out of my seat every time.
Speaker 2: So that's a fun part of that.
Speaker 12: But love the Eagles, Love you guys, have a good day.
Speaker 5: I haven't heard one of those, Amy, you haven't heard the shrieks.
Speaker 2: No, I'm going to keep it up now though I'm a very very ear that nest is covered in snow.
Speaker 3: My goodness, and and I'm assuming that's Jackie.
Speaker 2: She was covered in snow.
Speaker 12: It is.
Speaker 1: She is, her hindquarters and under undercarriage, very very covered in.
Speaker 2: Her undercarriage is probably not covered in snow.
Speaker 5: It it's not actually that. So all that snow that's building up around it, uh huh. She every once in a while she gets up shakes off, so she's not completely buried, but it's nice and dry and warm.
Speaker 2: It kind of makes a little igloo around the eagles.
Speaker 3: She's just sitting there with like no phone to look at, nothing to read, nothing, So.
Speaker 2: The whole iglu thing like, so it's warm inside there? Huh how does that work?
Speaker 5: Well, she's got her body warm, No, I mean like in an igloo, in a real isue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you can make fires in there. Gary's looking at me like I have.
Speaker 3: Well lost my Arguably, what's the lowest temperature you're going to get in in a well made, sealed up to the for the most part iglo.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's why I'm asking what temperature is snow cold?
Speaker 3: It's very cold, I know, but what's the free thirty thirty two thirty two? So arguably it's not going to get a whole lot less than thirty two degrees in an igloo, depending on how it's made and if there's draft and all that sort of stuff. But a well made igloo, you're not going to get a whole lot lower than thirty two degrees. Okay, and then you got furs and stuff. You got furs and all that good stuff. Maybe someone else to keep you warm.
Speaker 1: You're not going to set a fire in there though it'll melt the snow. Oh yeah, you can't. How do you shut them fire in the snow?
Speaker 5: Because they have chimneys and stuff in them in the Yeah, there's chimneys in an iglo.
Speaker 2: Amy, didn't you ever make igloos out of sugar cubes when you're a kid. That's make believe. No, that's real life. When you're out here, there are such things. That's what I'm saying. If I am out in the tundra and I'm an.
Speaker 3: Eskimo, I'm picking Amy to help make my igloo with me, not you.
Speaker 1: You guys the how do you build a fire in this snow?
Speaker 3: So let me just put let me Okay, we're not getting to the subject here. So we're stuck in the snow, and I start making snow blocks, right to build up an igloos, right, and all you're gonna do is stand there with your arms crossed and tell me that it's impossible for me.
Speaker 2: How could you? You can't do that? No, I understand making the igloo. I get that.
Speaker 1: I don't understand how you build a fire in a snowy field.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm going to Then let's assume that we just have fire stuff available to us.
Speaker 2: Okay, got to random papers and some dry so you.
Speaker 1: Just inside your igloo, you clear off. But how does the fire not not melt the top.
Speaker 3: Of the roof of the well. You're gonna you're gonna cut a hole. You're gonna leave a vent hole, right because the and then when you build the fire, that's where the smoke is gonna go, and it's going to prevent the volume of the fire is gonna so it's very.
Speaker 2: Low as as opposed to the ceiling of the igloo. I'm going to send you picture it. Furthermore, what are you using as a vent the hole? What do you mean? What am I using Okay, all right, how are we doing good?
Speaker 6: Feel?
Speaker 2: There is a new report.
Speaker 3: From a market research firm called Sircana that says that convenience store sales volume fell by more than four percent four point three percent, specifically because prices have continued to rise.
Speaker 2: So think about what you're gonna buy.
Speaker 1: If you get a convenience store, you're gonna buy snacks, right, chips and you know, mini donuts and can bars, boner boner, boner xx XO.
Speaker 3: You do something for your roads, maybe some jerky. Jerky's a good one. Among the snacks that are purchased in those convenience stores. The one product that they said dropped most sharply was the sales of rice cakes. Have you ever in your life rice cakes?
Speaker 1: Cerial killer goes into a seven to eleven and buys rice cakes.
Speaker 3: Refrigerated products dropped about seven percent by sales volume. Chocolate candies fell by six percent. They also have said that the makers of these products know that this is not a good direction for the arrow to be pointing, so they're trying to get people to buy new stuff. For example, Pepsi is developing something like a Doritos loaded with warm nacho cheese.
Speaker 2: What wait, pep see PEPSI coo?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, they're like because they own Dorito's.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what's wrong with just nacho cheese Doritos.
Speaker 3: Well, that's very short sighted of you, because apparently they think that if you're gonna eat nacho cheese doritos, you want nacho cheese doritos loaded with warm nacho cheese.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't either. You don't need to dip with those, nor does the bathroom. JM.
Speaker 3: Smucker has rolled out limited edition cherry flavored twinkies at some seven eleven stores.
Speaker 2: This doesn't sound awful, Reynolds American.
Speaker 3: The tobacco company is trying to reach price sensitive smokers with a more affordable Newport brand cigarette, which.
Speaker 2: Is not cigarettes are How much are cigarettes? Now? You're gonna have to tell me. I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I don't eat it for a pack versus a carton, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't even know where.
Speaker 3: I don't do they even sell them in my grocery store anymore.
Speaker 1: The last time I bought cigarettes, I think it was at a vending machine at a dive bar in Pittsburgh because I just wanted one. This is an eight nine years ago something like.
Speaker 2: That, And they don't sell Lucy's.
Speaker 1: But it was a vending machine. How can you not buy cigarettes out of event? Like, when you see a cigarette vending machine, how do you not utilize it?
Speaker 4: Those?
Speaker 2: You have to if you're an American?
Speaker 1: All right, Coming up next, we've got a sordid Hollywood motel that may be on its way out. Oh I hate it when we lose a sorted Hollywood motel.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app