Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to a brand new episode of Second Take Cinema, coming at you from the Glorious in Parlor Film's headquarters in sunny South End on Sea. I am your host, Jamie Evans, joined as per usual by monsieur Rory Joscelyn. Today we are giving a second take to a film from the library of one mister Adam Sandler. I know what you're thinking, Jamie. Why would you bother giving a second take to ninety percent of those movies? But here's one I think is a little bit more interesting than some of the rest, Even though you may not know it. It's one of the greatest bait and switchers in film history. Today we give a second take to two thousand and Sixer's Click Click is a two thousand and six American comedy movie directed by Frank Kurachi, written by Steve Coran and Mark O'Keefe. It stars Adam Sandler, Beckhamsale, Christopher Walken, Henry Winkler, David Hasselhoff, Julie Kavner, and Sean Astin. That's right, the guy from one of those Lord of the Ring films?
Speaker 2: Was he? Sam wise Ganji? I want to say is it Sam Wise.
Speaker 3: GANGI, Sam Wise GANGI, Yes, Ganji dam ge gam with an M yeah obviously, gamgee Gamgi.
Speaker 1: Click was made for a budget of eighty two point five million doll hairs, and it grossed two hundred and forty point seven million doll hairs at the box office. Rotten Tomatoes gives Click a score of thirty four percent, with the site's critical consensus reading, this latest Adam Sandler vehicle borrowed shamelessly from It's a Wonderful Life and back to the Future and fails to produce the necessary laughs that would forgive such limitation such imitation.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it's later and my eyes hurt.
Speaker 1: Peter Bradshaw opined that Click was an improvement over the previous Sun Mister Deeds. It has some moments of good natured sweetness, and Adam Sandler is improving as a comic performer, though he is still conceited and opaque. The film was criticized for its use of gross out humor and an unlikable protagonist. Entertainment Weekly critic Liz Schwarzbaum wrote that Click failed at being It's a Wonderful Life because Michael earns none of George Bailey's mature wisdom honestly. When it came to positive reviews, Newsweek claimed Click was predictable as a moral story, but unusually dark, occasionally touching, and pretty funny for a Sandler comedy. Empires Sam Toy enjoyed the film for its smart and genuinely moving ideas, Beckinsale's performance, and a strong third act, although dismissed the script for being overstuffed the first half of the film, for Sandler being too restrained in his everyman role, and actors such as Coolidge, Hasselhoff, and Walken for being put in small roles. I don't know, I thought had a role. Yeah, that's about as much Hasselhoff as I need.
Speaker 2: In a film.
Speaker 3: You know, he's not an actor who He's not someone you want leading a film unless it's epic cheese, and this has cheese to it, certainly in its first half, and that's pretty much the only point in which Hasselhoff appears.
Speaker 1: And I thought Walkin's part was perfectly fine. Yes, I could have done with a bit more Jennifer Coolidge. I like Jennifer Coolidge, but she is Stifler's mum from American part she played, was it Janine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, she's.
Speaker 1: A funny actress. I could have done with her being in more, but maybe I was fine with what she had.
Speaker 4: I think she was perfect. She was in it a perfect amount.
Speaker 3: It's hard to say who would want more comedy acting wise, because I'm not a massive fan of Adam Sandler's comedy. The thing that really makes this thing for me is it second half, where it basically stops beating a comedy.
Speaker 1: Let's start here, because why not talk about Sandler's wider career. Whoever told that man he was funny? Because I swear to god, you look at his filmography and all of his best roles are dramas. So he acts it and he's he's and he's pretty good.
Speaker 4: He's a pretty gems and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a pretty good dramatic actor. I watched him in The Myrowitz Stories, which is him, Ben Stiller, Dustin Hoffman, a couple of other people I can't remember who, but he's like the lead and he doesn't feel out of because I really thought he'd feel really out of place next to like Dustin Hoffman, but he doesn't. You believe him on the screen because he plays Dustin Hoffman's son. I had an ex who really liked Adam Senders.
Speaker 3: I watched quite a few of his films and the mostly not for me, but every now and then he'll say something that's funny, like there was Grown.
Speaker 4: Ups, the first Grown Ups film. There's two of them, which I didn't need.
Speaker 2: Is it the first one where he fights Stone called Steve Austin?
Speaker 4: He ever seen? The first one is the and it has Rob Schneider in it, and.
Speaker 2: That's every Adam sad.
Speaker 4: No, he's not in the second one.
Speaker 3: That's how you know the second one isn't worth watching because even Robson I went, yeah, but yeah, in the first one, they whenever they talked to Rob Schneider they bully him by saying may as the Light to show that he's somewhat slow, which really hasn't aged well either. But yeah, they just keep on doing that maze.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Last year I gave a second not as part of this show, just randomly struck by nostalgia. One day, I gave a second take to an Adam Sandler film that I think. I think a lot of his comedies are aimed at teens, which is probably why he's so success owners yeah, he's probably so successful atons because I rewatched a film that as a kid, like a thirteen year old, I loved. I rewatched it as an adult and I was like, this is awful, and that was little nikky.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: The entire film is Adam Sandler doing a gun face and speaking literally like this, get in the flask, Adrian, get in the.
Speaker 3: There is something about certain actors where in general, they can be very good act Adam Tanner again good example of it, can be a phenomenal actor given the right role in the right direction. But when they do comedy, he did the same in a Halloween movie he did for Netflix.
Speaker 2: Oh, Huby, Halloween, that's it.
Speaker 3: I've seen that and he does the same thing again. He does that weird gurning massage and you're like, it's not funny, and be stop it. He's just stop. I had a similar thing when I watched Ricky Gerves. I watched the first season of the show Derek. Now, there are some Ricky gives is a bit marmite to me. Some of the stuff I like, some of the stuff I really don't like. Derek was something I really didn't like. He's trying to play a mentally slow person. He doesn't play it very well or convincingly. And the reason he's doing it is he thinks he thinks it's funny, him doing a silly voice.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: You're like, dude, just stop, just stop. And I don't know what it is with comedic actors that they find something that obviously they find funny. I'm guessing they must find it amusing themselves. Maybe their friends find it funny, but they think the world in large will find it funny. You just sit there and go, dude, I keep that within your friends.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: I think there is an awful lot of comedy.
Speaker 2: Bad comedy out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that gets there because a group of friends think it's funny amongst themselves and the translate. And it's why so many of these comedy actors always have their friends in their film. Adam Sandler does it. He's always got Rob Schneider, Kevin James, David Spade, Chris Rock and for I know they've fallen out now, but for a long time, James Franco and Seth Rogan did that, didn't they. Yes, they did, always in films together. Same with Danny McBride and Jonah Hill. Always in films together, and it's because they find their own shit funny. Have you ever seen Little Nicky?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So let me explain Little Nikky very quickly. Harvey kai Tell, isn't it debate seeing himself? Harvey car Tell plays Satan. Oh, everyone in this film is debasing himself, including Adam Sandler, because he's better than that. Harvey carr Tell is Satan. His like chief assistant is Kevin Neelan. He has three sons, one played by Tiny Lista from The Dark Knight YEP. One played by Reese Evans or recy Fonds.
Speaker 2: I never knew how it was.
Speaker 1: I was perhaps it reci Fonds, the Welsh guy, but apparently if On's in Welsh is pronounced Evans.
Speaker 3: You know rece Fonds. Don't you guarantee you've seen his sonics? He's in everything?
Speaker 1: No, he sadly is in The Amazing Spider Man as the Lizard.
Speaker 2: What would you were seeing him as?
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen It's notting Hill he's in. He's Hugh Grant's roommate.
Speaker 3: I think, oh, what the skanky guy. He kind of looks a bit skaggy. Yeah, he's blonde hair. Yeah, it's him.
Speaker 2: And then Adam Sandler is his youngest son.
Speaker 4: I think that guy was in After Life with Ricky Gervas.
Speaker 2: Oh he might have been.
Speaker 4: He was the worst thing in it.
Speaker 3: Oh really, if it's the guy I'm thinking of, he he's the guy who plays the psychiatrist to help Ricky Gerves get over his grief. And that's like that character doesn't read like a psychiatrist. Doesn't funny, And it's clearly where it's the bit in there where Ricky Gervas has gone, this will be funny if I just say horrible shit and people will find it funny because, oh my god, I can't believe a psychiatrist said that. But he doesn't come across and feel like a psychiatrist. So the character doesn't feel genuine enough for that comedy to land in that angle. And the jokes aren't funny, it's just offensive ballot Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's tiny list of Rees Evans and Adam Sandler. They're all Satan's kid and they're all waiting to find out which of them will be the next King of Hell. Because Satan's been King of health like two thousand years. It's time for him to retire. And Harvey kai Tell brings them all into the room and he pulls a bait, and Switchery is like, I've decided that the next king of Hell will be me. I'm going to rain for another two thousand years. And Little Nicky is like, yeah, that's cool. I love my dad. I'm fine with him being Satan. But the other two are like, no, we want to be king. So they plot to overthrow him, right, and then Little Nicky has to defeat his own brothers. It's here's the level of jokes in it. They turn Kevin Kneeling into a boob head right as he has actual prosthetic boobs on his head. They show a scene of Hitler in a French made outfit getting pineapples shoved.
Speaker 2: Up his ass.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean to be fair, and at.
Speaker 2: The end of the film, if you don't mind me spoiling the end.
Speaker 4: I'm never gonna watch this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you won't want to the talking dog in it. If I forgot to mention, you know you've gone too far in he gets through the Tiny Lister quite early in the film, and Recee Evans is like, the finale is like the fire Boss and he gets given this sphere at some point in the film I can't remember where, and he gets told it's a secret weapon that will be able to defeat Receevens. You know it's it's the Diosex machina. The thing is, it will only work. It only works because re Sevens does. What he does is fighting Little Nikki and he turns into a bat. That's a very satan thing to do. That's makes sense. So he turns into a big bat and Little Nicky's like, I can stop you, and he throws this sphere down and the sphere explodes in a puff of smoke to reveal mister Ossie Osbourne, who then grabs Reese Farns, who is still an animated bat, and bites his head off. You know, okay, right, Recie Farns, why don't you just change back?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And b you've given Little Nikki that as a secret weapon earlier in the film. Did you know Recevens would just transmographying to a bat. That's that's other films.
Speaker 2: Now. I want to talk about my experience watching Click Yes, because I la, do you like to go first?
Speaker 4: No, I'll let you go first.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, yeah, like, there's not much in Adam Sender's own back und so he's got his own company, Happy Madison. You can usually tell if the film he's in is going to be good or art based on whether or not Happy Madison produced it. If Happy Madison produced it, it's going to be dire for the most part, with a few exceptions. Click for me would be one of them because they are often just brainless garbage. But that's his own production company that he uses to make movies with his friends. If he's in something like Uncut Gems, it's not him, it's someone else making it. He's just acting in it.
Speaker 2: I really need to see on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've heard lots of really positive things.
Speaker 2: About I've had it. I've got a copy of it.
Speaker 1: I've had it for years, right, and it's just one of those things where I never It's the same with black Swan. I've had black Swan since it came out over a decade ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I just keep to watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think I'll hit you as well as the Wrestler did. But black Swan is a really interesting film. I rate that director anyway. It's really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a fantastic But anyway, so Click, I'm gonna be real.
Speaker 2: Honest.
Speaker 1: The reason I watch Click is because Kate Becking Sales Isn't It? And I was on a real Kate beckinsale face when I was a teen, promoted by Van Helsing and Underworld. Anyway, so I watched Click as Kate Beckett Sale wasn't it and I was like, Oh, it's an Adam Sandler film. I'd seen a couple of Adam Sandler films by that point, so I was like, I know what I'm getting. It's gonna mostly be stupid, but she might be good in it. And the first half of the film is exactly what you think the film is going to be based on the trailers. It's Adam Sandler playing his typical Adam Sandler character.
Speaker 3: He's kind of a schlubby guy trying to get through a schlubby well a decent job in this one, but still he's kind of slubbing his way through. It's meant to be like, oh, I want to be the next Big Boss, but like he comes into the first meeting with the Saudi Arabian guys and just basically insults them straight away.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So I downloaded the film and for the first no, I didn't download it. I bought it on DV bloody.
Speaker 4: D back when I used to spend money on films.
Speaker 1: Yes, and yeah, the first half is exactly what you think it's gonna be. Schlubby Adam Sandler gets a universal remote that lets him control his universe, and there's all the gimmicks you think there's gonna be. He puts the commentary on. He fast forwards.
Speaker 3: Things I have to call bullshit on the commentary, by the way, And yeah, comment works because the commentary is you've got the director or the actors sitting there going so in this scene we did this and or this funny anecdote, or this is how we built this scene, or how you know this was the idea behind this.
Speaker 4: The commentary of this one is just so in his house, and you're like, that's not comment.
Speaker 1: Been coordinarration, yes, not commentary, but oh well yeah all no description.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yeah. He changes his boss to Spanish.
Speaker 1: At one point he slow motions are jogger done he so he can ogler. Yeah, it's all the stuff you think it's gonna be. After Hasselhoff doesn't promote him, so he pauses him and then farts in his face.
Speaker 4: That was the worst bit of the film. Yeah, that scene is the worst bit of the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're out of nowhere. In the middle of the film, this film suddenly decides, Hey, it's almost like the guy writing it was like, you know, this film is just not funny.
Speaker 3: Well on how it was before the end of the first half. What's the end point of that story?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 4: It's just like, guy, how does he learn not to work?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: How how does he without the r I tell you.
Speaker 1: There is another way you could have done that if you wanted to keep it as the shitty comedy. And the other way is that bratty kid gets the remote, well, the next door neighbor the camera or Hasselhoff, one of the villains gets the remote using it just jesus what passes.
Speaker 2: For a villain in these films, and uses it to fuck Sandler over.
Speaker 1: That would there is a very real world where that could have been what this film was. Instead, what this film does is it pulls a blinder of a twist, possibly the biggest genre shift I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: It stops being a comedy entirely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, outside of like Sunshine, which goes from being a sci fi movie to a slasher movie halfway through that didn't like that.
Speaker 4: That didn't really work that way round unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Oh I quite like it.
Speaker 3: I like some I like Sunshine in general, but the ending felt a little bit weak, right, I didn't really get the villain, right, But yeah, I see your point. That was at least a genre flip as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this just it suddenly becomes this like incredibly serious movie about a man basically wasting his life on auto pilot.
Speaker 3: Trying to He's focusing on work, isn't he, Because basically, when he's on a pilot, the whole thing is about getting the promotion and being the scene, and so everything in his personal life gets left behind.
Speaker 1: And the reason this film was always stuck with me is there's a bit in that third act once he ends up going to the future, doesn't he basically fast forward?
Speaker 3: The irony being that the future where he's got like all this sci fi gadgetary.
Speaker 2: Was five years ago.
Speaker 3: It's twenty twenty one, so it's four years ago yeah for us, And I'm just like, why is it even in Click? The twenty twenty one in Click was better than the twenty twenty five of today.
Speaker 1: The reason this was always stuck with me. The film gets super serious and there's a bit where I cried, I like cried cried. I'm talking like ugly cry, like snot tears, red in the face. The film finished, and it made me contemplate my entire fucking existence.
Speaker 3: Yes, because it never goes back to the Sandler comedy either. Because it could do that for a little bit and then return and be like, hey, back to the fart some funny jokes.
Speaker 4: It never does, and that's right.
Speaker 3: It's the right choice to keep it in once you've switched the series, just stay there.
Speaker 4: But it is surprising because you literally sit there and go, this is a different film.
Speaker 3: And the thing is, up to this point, you've got Christopher Walken's character, who in the first half feels like he's just been hired to play Christopher Walken as Christopher Walken in Christopher walk In the movie, and you're like, Okay, you've just hired christopherkin because you could afford him. In the second half, when he basically he becomes the Angel of Death as he calls himself, it changes like, holy shit, it's Christopher Walken doing this part, and it being Christopher walker somehow works. Whereas it didn't do for me in the first half, but it kind of pays off in the second half.
Speaker 4: Very weird. I've never really had an experience like it watching a movie.
Speaker 2: No, and it stuck with me all these years.
Speaker 1: I won't talk yet about the bit that made me cry, But do you remember your first experience watching Click?
Speaker 3: Yes, I watched it. I didn't see it in cinemas. I watched it on DVD at some point. I can't remember exactly when it was a while ago. I think it was when I had first moved out of my family home, so it would have been about twenty ten, twenty eleven. And I expected, like yourself, just a shitty, schlubby comedy. Got that for half of it. Really loved the Terry CRUs bit that always stuck with me, where he's singing in the car next to him and then he just mutes him while he's singing the song.
Speaker 4: That was really cool.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I was just kind of watching it that way. And then I just remember at a certain point, I remember it changed, but i'd never remembered what the change was, and I away was just remembered loving the film but not remembering why. And I don't know yeah, it just it left my brain, and so I watched it again for the second time only for this and it was It was kind of cool because I was able to basically watch it for the first time for the second time and yet again did not still didn't expect it, didn't expect where it would go to. The second half is better than the first. Now, something that this film does do. Looking at IMDb, it's giving itself the moniker of high concept comedy, which is a bit like horror when they.
Speaker 4: Do elevated comedy. We're not doing.
Speaker 3: But this is a bit higher concept, I guess in the terms of most comedy doesn't try and then do an emotional storyline set in a The destruction of your life using sci fi technology isn't a common thread for comedy movies. Honestly, I just can't think of anything else that's like it that does the bait and switch.
Speaker 2: Because I remember the trailers had none of this state. Yeah, the trailers were all.
Speaker 1: The funny, you know, the funny fucking around with the remote, pausing people and fast forward.
Speaker 3: Selling it to Adam Sandler fans, I think that was a weird thing because I don't know how you would sell this generally because the way they sold it was to sell it to Adam Sandler fans. But I can't imagine anyone who likes general Adam Sandler comedy would like the second half because it's too deep.
Speaker 2: You'll get people who are surprised.
Speaker 3: You'll get some people who You'll get people who don't like it, yeah, because all.
Speaker 1: They want is the Adam Sandler stuff. But you'll get people who like Adam Sandler who were pleasantly surprised.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, I get that, But I like in terms of marketing it, they went for that audience. But I think a lot of that audience wouldn't like the people I used to know who like Adam Sandler films. They like this sort of film, but I don't think they would have liked the switch. I think they would have watched an Adam Sandler film to get exactly what they get out of and Adam Sandler film, and then been disappointed that they were taken somewhere they did not expect. Simultaneously, anyone who would really enjoy the emotional second half would like yeah, would sit there and go, I'm not gonna watch it because it's an Adam Sandler film. So they would just go, well, I didn't like anything happy medicine's done to bollocks to this, in which case they miss out on that incredible twist. It's hard to know who this is really for, despite the fact that it does work.
Speaker 1: Which might be why you don't hear about it much anymore. It hasn't like survived the test of time.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Has dated as well, let's be honest, because the way the remote looks looks very late nineties early two thousands, like it's got that slightly sparkly plastic around it, and the shape of it feels very it feels like something you'd use on a Sega Dreamcast.
Speaker 4: It's got that sort of style to it.
Speaker 3: And also when he uses the menu button to go into the main menu, it looks like those early DVD menus, which at the time would have been amazing, like wow, it's like they're literally walking around and doing a scene within a DVD menu. Unfortunately, nowadays, a there's not a lot of physical media anymore, and the physical media there is is bare bones of shit, so the menus are really bland. You don't get that's like CGI think's moving around and really trying to impress you. It's mostly just like a video in the background with some music going on, and then the text at the bottom of play movie select language extras and you're like, oh, what happened to these menus? It has dated even the future of it where it's like seeing the future. It's it's what sci fi's of the early two thousands look like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, I think the Switch works as well because the first the first sign of the Switch is when he wakes up and he's fat, and you think.
Speaker 2: Oh God, here we go.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be that tasteless, big Mama's house style thin guy in a fat suit comedy. And then you realize his wife's broken up with him and she's married Sean Aston instead, and you kind of get this moment, You kind of get this thing where you're starting to think, hang on, this is getting a little bit more serious.
Speaker 2: They're still trying to be funny.
Speaker 3: But it's a bit And then he gets cancer yes, and you're like, oh shit, yeah. Now, Usually there is a bit of a thing in film, certainly bad film where sudden cancer is brought in, and a particular film there, buddy. There are quite a few films that do it. Things like the room do it. So I was a bit worried it was going to throw that and just.
Speaker 4: Be like, hey, you got the cancer. Oh good buddy, You're like what.
Speaker 3: But thankfully it does pay that off because that becomes then a recurring part to his decay as an individual.
Speaker 1: It shows you how impactful that stuff near the end is because I remember that being a much bigger portion of the movie, like I remembered it being literally half but it really it's only.
Speaker 2: The third act.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's only a bit of the third act. Yeah, because he it's his heart, isn't it that gives out eventually?
Speaker 1: I would say the third act starts when he wakes up and he's had the cancer. Right, it's like, you haven't been well a day a day in the.
Speaker 3: Last ten years, and yeah, because he's gips ten years, doesn't he? And she's looking older.
Speaker 1: Henry Winkler is the unsung MVP of this movie. He is believable as a granddad and just likable enough as a granddad that when you get what I feel is the pivotal scene, which is when he realizes his dad's died and he tries to go back and witness the last time he saw his dad.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like about that scene is he says, take me to the funeral, goes we can't you were never there? Yeah, that hits and you're like, oh you bitch, Yeah, why didn't you go?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think he says the funeral.
Speaker 3: Do think he says take me to when he does the day he does like when he dies.
Speaker 4: No, No, he says take me to the funeral.
Speaker 2: Oh he said.
Speaker 4: I think he says, take me to.
Speaker 3: The funeral, goes you weren't there, right, and then he goes, take me to the last time I saw my father. And then it's that the scene that you were about to talk about in the office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where Henry Winkler's trying to interact with him and he's just ignoring him and he ends up basically breaking his There's this running joke, isn't there, that he's got this coin trick and he doesn't think Adam Sandler knows how he does it. But Adam Sandler does know how he does it. But Adam Sandler's always yeah, he's always kept the mystery alive.
Speaker 2: But then he just snaps at me.
Speaker 1: He's like, I've always known how you do the trick now piss off or something like that, and Henry Winkler does a phenomenal bit of acting where he kind of keeps a straight face and goes okay, And it's only when he's turned away from Adam Sandler that he starts to crumple. But we see it because obviously our Adam Sandler, the one who's traveled through time, is on our We're watching from his side and we see the face crumple. That scene breaks my heart every time.
Speaker 3: Because it's an undoable bit of damage and he can never he can never repair it.
Speaker 4: That's fantastic.
Speaker 3: I actually really yeah, I really rate the second half of this film. Some of the reviews you read were comparing it to It's a Wonderful Life.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I've not actually watched that film yet, dirty me to say so, but I've never actually seen it. But I understand what they mean because at the end he comes back and he's like a renewed man in the present day. I understand what they mean by it doesn't kind of feel as earned in terms of him being that super positive. But I kind of disagree that it's not at all earned because he's from having watched his life that way. I find it perfectly believable that he would change his ways because he really like The whole point is, by the end of the future segment, he dies realizing that work isn't as important as family. So I feel it it's a little disingenuous for the reviewers there to say that he doesn't earn it or it doesn't feel earned. Maybe the way he runs through the house basically showing.
Speaker 4: Hey, their movie house, it is.
Speaker 3: Not quite like that, but you know what I mean, It's like, that's not it's the run through the house that doesn't really worry.
Speaker 1: The ending is very reminiscent of when Scrooge wakes up as a chain changed man at the end of Christmas Carol and he's already done when in the version of Scrooge we watched where he runs down the street singing far the Christmas and given toys to.
Speaker 2: Every wadded stuff.
Speaker 3: And I don't think that's earned because of the style of the film in both of its hearts, isn't that sort of revelatory thing.
Speaker 4: It should have been a bit more calm, I think.
Speaker 3: But I can understand why they went for it, because they were trying to get back to a feel good ending, especially considering how dark this goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of sad as well, how we react when he finds out the dogs died, and that kind of gets him done it.
Speaker 3: Well, because he skips forward only a few months at first, isn't he and the dogs died in that time, and it's just it hits you how quickly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, certainly with animals because obviously they lost Spencer are much much shorter.
Speaker 1: So in terms of the acting in this, and I think everyone does a fine enough job.
Speaker 4: Yes, is actually very good.
Speaker 1: Sean Aston's good, cape, Beckham sales good. The American accent slips a couple of times. Yeah, even Hasselhoff.
Speaker 2: I was surprised by.
Speaker 3: The only pick but I didn't like was the one he got fighted on because don't taste shit, because that's not even well apt.
Speaker 4: But the rest of it is fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, because the Hof the Hoff has become such a parody of himself in the current day and age he was by then, because this was bear in mind, this was around the same time he was in Dodgeball even.
Speaker 1: I mean, like now he's really a pact like he's been in like SpongeBob the.
Speaker 2: Movie and stuff.
Speaker 3: Like that, and they created a fake version of him life size. Did you know that in the SpongeBob movie, the bit where they surf on the back of him isn't him. It's an animatronic of him, right, because they in order for the animation to work, they needed to keep that thing in position for like eight straight hours, and they thought that that was a bit harsh to do to a person.
Speaker 4: Let's be honest. David hasse Off probably would have be like, fuck off that.
Speaker 2: Joe whatever had t shirts that said things like don't hassle the half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I have one little bit of trivia there that I think might be kind of interesting. R. L. Stein, the writer of Goosebump. He wrote a very similar story, apparently in his Tales to Give You Goosebump series, with almost the exact same plot and set up, even down to the title Click Galastic Incorporated almost sued Adam Sander and this film's producers for plagiarism. Both parties agreed the entire situation was a coincidence, and no legal action was ever taken. Both stories could easily be based on the old French tale The Magic Thread, in which a boy is able to pull a thread to speed up parts of his life.
Speaker 4: He doesn't like.
Speaker 3: Oh, he quickly finds himself an old man before being given a second chance. I got that from IMDb. That is not my own facts, but yeah, I thought that was an interesting bit of trivia because I had not heard of the French tale the magic thread. It makes more sense in a modern sense, in a modern way, to have it be something.
Speaker 4: Like a remote.
Speaker 3: But thinking about it, nowadays, even remotes are kind of old fashioned. I know TVs still kind of have them, but most things are now smart based, so that the idea of pausing fast forward rewind all that stuff mostly dealt with with either a mouse or voice.
Speaker 4: Come on, yeah, yeah, what.
Speaker 2: Was with the dog humping everything? Man?
Speaker 4: See?
Speaker 3: I understood that as a sound the rest joke, and it kind of actually works into the emotional segments a little bit, because when the dog is no longer humping the thing, that's kind of emotionally like, Oh that was because it's the oat.
Speaker 4: Let's be fair.
Speaker 3: The reason it only worked in that sense is because it was the only thing we knew the dog did. But then it did this thing where every dog focks this.
Speaker 1: Male or dog he buys a female dog to keep Sundance. By the way, do you think that was a reference that they called it Sundance was to the fact that maybe the fact that Adam Salmon never gets SIMS into the Sundance Film Festival.
Speaker 4: Oh, maybe I have an idea.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm just ridden way too much into that. Are there any parts of the film we haven't touched on yet that you'd like to touch on. I just feel about Bed, Bath and Beyond. I could have without the guy who wants him to just be his friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was weird.
Speaker 1: And that's only the one who was in all of the Adam Sandler films, and I think it's Nick Swanson his name is, I think, But I didn't go anywhere. That's the weird thing, other than he wakes up at the end and because I will be your friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like he doesn't come back after that scene, so you just want him.
Speaker 4: To No, But I just didn't understand the characters being there.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's it's quite The Bed and Beyond joke doesn't work outside of America because we don't have bed Bathom Beyond, which is an actual brand in America.
Speaker 4: But it's just the UK.
Speaker 2: We're like what.
Speaker 4: Like the shop Front.
Speaker 1: It's a surprisingly effective film when it wants to be. Though, Yes, when he's dying in the rain as well, I thought that was a bit sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that actually it's melodramatic, but it actually works for the scene.
Speaker 4: It's built myself up to that.
Speaker 1: The second part where I burst into tears is when he gives Kate beck and say all the note that he gave her on the first date. Literally, I've just finished I just finished crying from the dad scene, and then he does, and I was like that that, I mean this, like you would take this to the bank about me being a terrible filmmaker. That is more upsetting than the Titanic. I cry more at that than I do it Titanic.
Speaker 4: You mean the movie Titanic? Ye yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, to be fair, I wasn't particularly a fan of the movie Titanic. It focuses on all the wrong things and it doesn't It doesn't feel like a loss or a tragedy in the way that it should have done outside of the fact that you know it happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but ever let go.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, if Titanic was the exact same film, but there hadn't been an actual incident of the Titanic. It was just so you knew it was all fiction. No one would have watched it and no one would have liked it.
Speaker 1: As we said in our episode, the song just so much heavy lifting in that film.
Speaker 2: Yes, good old Celine Dion. So yeah, I thought the film still hit pretty well. Don't get me wrong. It didn't hit me as much as it did the first time. But will I will not lie?
Speaker 1: I still teered up during the dad scene, and I still teered up when he handed of the note that said will you still love me in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are both very emotional moments. So as far as I'm concerned, Yeah, yeah, it's dated and it won't be for everyone. Because essentially, you have to be willing to either sit through a comedy you won't like to get to a really cool sci fi bit, or you may sit through a comedy you do like to get to a sci fi bit you don't really want.
Speaker 4: So you really have to be in a mood.
Speaker 3: I think, oh, yeah, yeah, like I said, I like this film, Yeah, but I've barely ever watched it.
Speaker 2: In all the years I've owned it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I have to be in the mood to cry my fucking eyes out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but when you want that, when you and certainly the bait and switch of it, it hits, it still works. It's hits twice for me, it's hit more than twice for you, it still works.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: There you have it, folks. That is click from the Year of Our Lord two thousand and six. Thank you everyone for tuning in. You can catch up with us and keep up with us on all our social media's at Imparlor Revolution on Facebook. On Twitter, We're at We're at the Imparlor Films. On Blue Sky, we are in Parlor Films on Instagram. I think we don't have an impilor one. I think we have a generic haunted one. So don't follow us.
Speaker 2: There, I guess if you don't want to anyway.
Speaker 1: Thank you for tuning in and we will be back with you next week for more Second Take Cinema