Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Good evening everyone, Thank you very much, Nicole. My name is Dan Ray, host of Nightside, heard every weeknight from a to midnight right here on WBZ, Boston's news radio. We're in iHeart radio station. You can check us out on the new iHeart app and you can listen to our program or all of wbz's program program wbz's programming three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven. Delighted to tell you those of you who were listening last night on Nightside, we spent a couple of hours last night talking about anti Semitic materials that have been circulated to the members of the Massachusetts Teachers Association. They lay one hundred and seventeen thousand teachers across the commonwealth, and we had Jeff Robbins and Sarah cob of the Antidefamation Gone. We had a lot of very interesting callers who were concerned, and the MTA, the mass Teachers Association today withdrew those materials, those course materials which many had alleged were inherently anti semitic, and if you saw them, I think most people reasonable and rational people would see that for what they were. So congratulations to all the folks were called in last night and joined the course. And I think that we made a little bit of an impact on that decision, and I'm very happy to announce that tonight. We may get to that a little bit later on. We have several topics we're going to get to. We have four topies coming up this how we're going to talk with Mike Nelson in just a moment about the massages of wildlife endangered species lists. We're going to talk about the ability to adopt a dog with no charge involved, going to talk with a fellow out of Northborough who's associated with the group called proudly called the Dull Men's Club, and to talk with Chris Lisinski, state House news reporter about the protests at White Stadium today. And then we will talk with Josh Kraft Kennedy for Mayor of Boston, who participated in that demonstration opposing the demolition and the the destruction of White Stadium as well as about one hundred and forty five trees to make way for parking over there for a for a soccer stadium. And we'll talk about the closing the temporary closing estuary of the JFK Presidential Library for a few hours yesterday, was back open and operating today, thank goodness. But we're going to start it off first with Mike Nelson. Mike is mass Wildlifes invertebrate zoologist, and he brings word to us tonight that twenty two species, not just the animal species, animal and plant species were added this year, as it is as it's done every couple of years to the Massachusetts Endangered Species last Mike, thanks very much for taking the time to join us tonight. These are plants and animals probably that many of us might not have heard of, but we don't want to see them to go extinct. How are you tonight? Welcome?
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you very much, glad to be here, and you're absolutely right. It's of course the rarest and sometimes that means the most obscure species in the state that end up on the State and Dangered Species list. But we don't want to lose them from the state or even worse, have them go extinct entirely. So that's the main purpose of the Masters and Danger Species Act.
Speaker 2: Let me get one one clarification here, so you are making a determination. We'll go through some of these that the eastern red bats and the gigs abrout hoary bats and silver haired bats. They are our three species, as well as I guess a couple of types of bees, the golden bullom moth and the Akkadian hairstreak butterfly. When you say they're growing, they're going extinct or they're on the endangered species list in Massachusetts. Could they be flourishing elsewhere or the fact that they're in trouble here are these species that are sort of endemic to our region of the country in the first place.
Speaker 3: Well, depending on the species, that could be either of those things. So there's of course the Federal Endangered Species Act that was an act in nineteen seventy three, but in addition to that here in Massachusetts, we have our own Endangered Species Act that was an acted in nineteen ninety and all federally listed species are also by statute on the Massachusetts list. But we have the ability in Massachusetts, and we have since nineteen ninety designated additional species that might not be federally listed, and the Massachusetts statute specifically looks at the status of the species in Massachusetts with the goal of not losing them from the state. Now that being said, in protecting species by various means in Massachusetts, it contributes to the regional and global conservation of these species.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's talk first of all, how how difficult is it? I mean all of us you know, see, you know birds, blue jays and things that all of us are familiar with. And we know that there are squirrels around, and pigeons and coyotes and all of that. How difficult is it to track the continued existence or the viability of again, some of these species that probably most of us don't know very little, know very little about again, an eastern red bat. I couldn't tell you what an eastern red bat looks like our silver haired bat's So how tough is how tough is this task that that you folks have assumed.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's very difficult, But most of us do it because we enjoy the work. We enjoy a challenge. And it's not just the Massachusetts Natural Herigine Dangerous Species Program and the messages to the beneficiaries and wildlife alone. Although we're leading the charge to speak as the state agency with charged with conserving dangerous species. In Massachusetts. We have cooperators all over the state and that ranges from obviously universities where there's a lot of expertise on some of these species and on both plants and animals statewide, but also there's in Massachusetts we have a I guess relatively small relative to the population, but a thriving community of amateur naturalists. So people that not only enjoy being outside, but enjoy paying attention to plants and animals right down to the species level, and enjoy looking for the VARs species and reporting them on For example, probably the most popular online community for doing that next to Massachusetts, but across the country, and you know outside the country now is eye Naturalists. So there's all these people out there, no small number of them who are just interested in not just the common species. So we have a lot of collaborators, volunteers, and it all comes together and we somehow managed to keep a reasonable tab on the conservation status of most of the species in the state. And when I say most, I say that because certainly when people think of animals, the vertebrate animals you know, the birds, the mammals, the reptiles, amphibean fish, but Also, I'm called invertebrate zoologists because that's my specialty, although I do a lot of other things. At mass Wildlife, I have a one of a few people there with expertise in insects and other invert animals, and then of course the botanists who work with the plants. So those are the main groups you pay attention to, you know. Obviously people don't get into other groups of things that are even more obscure, like, for example, mushrooms and fungi. There's just not the expertise out there to do what we do with those.
Speaker 2: Okay, so real quick question if I could, and we're kind of running out of time, but I think this is a fascinating subject and topic. So let's assume you say, okay, there's this bad this red bat, or this hoary bad or this silver haired bat. I'm focused on those. I know that there we mentioned some of the others, A couple of types of bees, and a moth and a butterfly. Do you get to the point where you say, look, we're down to like, you know, fifty of these and some how we have to capture a few of them so that they can they can regenerate the species. Are you simply looking and saying, Okay, they were fifty last year and now they're down to twenty two and you know, there's not much we can do.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends there's the resources there to do what you're describing, which would be basically captive breeding. Yeah, that's something that's done in a number of state that's done, for example in Rhode Island, in New Hampshire, now as much in Massachusetts, where the New England cottontail would be one example of a man I can think of it. It's done with. That's sort of the last ditches.
Speaker 2: They answered, Yeah, okay, when you say the New England cottontail, you're talking about a bunny rabbit. You're talking about a snake.
Speaker 3: Now I'm talking about there's actually two species of cottontail rather than Massachusetts, and this isn't very widely known, but there's a there's a very rare one that is actually doing better in Massachusetts and Rhode Island or New Hampshire, which is why it's actually not even state listed, although we do manage habitat for it here in Massachusetts. It's called the New England cotton tail and it's mostly in the southeastern part of the state in pine barrens and others shreby habitats.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think the snakes are called cotton mold. So when I heard the word, okay, good enough. Hey, look, I really enjoyed the conversation. Mike. You know so much more about this than I do. Thank you for what you do, and let's keep in touch. Maybe we'll have you on some night and go into it for an hour and take phone calls from listeners. How about that.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's certainly a possibility. Dan.
Speaker 2: All right, Mike, appreciate it. Mike Nelson with the mass Wildlife Federation, and we really appreciate you taking the time to join us tonight. Thanks. Thanks again, Mike Nelson. When we come back and we talk about a great program where you can opt a dog and a lot of the fees will be waved, we'll give you that if you're looking for a companion animal. Nothing beats a dog. I'm a dog guy. We'll be back on Nightside right after this quick break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios.
Speaker 2: I'm WBZ News Radio. Well, if you're thinking about getting a dog, have we got a great deal for you with us as Jamie Garabedian, the Massachusetts Society for Protection of Cruelty to Animals Project manager and animal in the Animal Protection Division. Jamie, Welcome to Nightside. You have some really interesting news for our audience. How are you this evening?
Speaker 4: I'm good, How are you? Thanks for having me?
Speaker 2: Oh, our pleasure, Our pleasure. I'm a dog guy, love dogs, and you are doing a fee waved adoption event for adult dogs. But the definition of adult dogs is for dogs over the age of one year, so we're not talking about elderly dogs. We're talking about dogs who are adult dogs over a year. I think of adult dogs as being three or four because dog years seven seven adult years for every dog year, I'm thinking of a dog that's one or two, sort of being a preteen or a teen. But this sounds like a really great, great event. Tell us how folks can can get in line to meet some of the adoptees, the potential adoptees. And this is a fee waved events, so people can can get a great companion without spending a lot of money, which is fabulous. Tell us about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, So the event goes until the twenty third. It takes place at all four of the MSPCA adoption centers, but we're also joined by our mass coalition shelter partners Berkshire, Our Humane Society, Bay Pass Humane Society, Wooster Animal Rescue League, Boston Animal Control and Thomas J. O'Connor Adoption Center and Animal Control. So all across the state, not just you know the eastern region where MSPCA is, but all across the state the event is going on. Each location has different open hours, so we do encourage people to go to their websites and check out how each location operates, or you can go to MSPCA dot org slash dogs and we have all of that information there for you as well. But it's simple. The adoption process remains the same. The only difference is we're removing the fee, so we're hoping to reduce some barriers and get people in the doors to find their new best friend. We have a lot of amazing dogs that are just waiting for home.
Speaker 2: Now folks can visit the adoptable dogs, these beautiful animals, these beautiful companion animals. Can they see them online as well as visit them in person. What's tell us about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, so on the MSPCA side of things. If you go to our website, eligible dogs are going to be marked with a star on their profile, so you can tell which dogs are part of the event. And then if you go to MSPCA dot org slash dogs, that'll direct you to the other locations with the other shelters that are participating as well to their website so you can see which dogs they have available and are eligible. Again at MSPCA, you can do them online or you can come into our shelters during open hours chat with a staff member and then would be happy to introduce you to the dogs that you're interested in.
Speaker 2: Now, how much under normal circumstances would it cost to do this or how much will people save who take advantage of this great opportunity this.
Speaker 4: Weekend peace range depending on age, but where this is all dogs over one year. The typical adoption fee at MSPCA and then again at the other locations are around the four hundred dollars mark four hundred and four to fifty, so again and you're it's quite a savings and the hope is that it reduced some barriers and just you know, encourages people to come in and meet some wonderful dogs that are waiting.
Speaker 5: For a home.
Speaker 2: Our daughter adopted from a from a dog an animal shelter. Uh. Just this beautiful corkie. Uh. He's a We think he's about two years maybe two and a half years old. His name is Mustard. Uh. And he is truly the love of the love of my life. I mean, he's these these animals that are there, they are just they're fur balls full of love. Uh. And and I know that a lot of people want to go by, you know, from a breeder, but these are wonderful dogs that that are available. I assume it's a fairly wide range of big dogs, medium sized dogs, small dogs. Uh. I. I assume between all these shelters there will be there will be plenty of matches people can find.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, based on breed, based on personality, Between all of the locations, there's something for everybody. And again, if you come in and you want to chat with a staff member, happy to talk you through what it is you're looking for, what kind of pet would best meet your lifestyle, and you know what kind of family member you're hoping to add, and happy to help you make the perfect match.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, if you're living in an apartment. You're probably not looking to adopt a great Dane. I get that, you know, although it.
Speaker 4: Could be a couch potato bait day and you don't know.
Speaker 2: I understand. I don't want to eliminate, eliminate anyone. So when someone comes in and they've seen a dog, what do you do with this? Two or three people who have the your eye and the same dog? Do you you know, cut a deck of cards? Do you flip coins? What you know? Rock paper scissors? Shoot? What do you do?
Speaker 4: It is a first come, verserve situation. So if someone was already talking to a staff member and meeting that dog first and then interested in wanting to take the dog home, that person or that family would be, you know, the first in line to do so. It usually doesn't happen too often, so I wouldn't let that discourage anybody. If you see a dog that you're interested in, just encourage you to try to come in on the earlier side if you have your heart set on one of the open hours based on the location. But yeah, it usually doesn't turn out to be too much of an issue, No.
Speaker 2: Problem, no problem. So the event is already underway. Today's the nineteenth, So this started on Monday and.
Speaker 4: Then we already sent home almost sixty dogs, which is amazing.
Speaker 2: Great and so in how many what's what is the population here we're talking about between all of the different locations.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if the exact number that are eligible, but I.
Speaker 2: Would thought you said something.
Speaker 4: I thought you, yeah, that's the capet. That's I would say how many we all have in care, But how many are eligible for the event. I'm not totally sure on the number, but there's definitely so many left.
Speaker 2: Excellent, excellent. They all they have to do. The first step they have to take is just go to m s p c A dot org slash Events, slash Dog hyphen Adopter thon or you just find it at m s p c A dot org. I'm sure all the information.
Speaker 4: And h M s d A dot org slash Dogs is the easiest one and that'll bring you to all the information.
Speaker 2: Perfect, perfect, Okay, thanks for correcting me on that, Jamie. And uh, you're doing great work with big fans of the m s p c A and of course big fans of dogs. So uh, they make a huge difference in people's lives. If you've never owned a dog. They are. They they will change your They make the worst day you have tolerable, and they are so much fun. They they will change your lifestyle and your your existence. And I'll tell you I'm just I'm such a dog person.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: We had a King Cavalier Spaniel named Charlie for for ten years, has a has a Shorky which is a part Shitsu in part Yorkie named Willie, and Mustard the Corgi. So now we are a big extended dog family and we hope everyone will who doesn't have a dog will at least look at the website MSPCA dot org slash dogs. Thanks Jamie, appreciated very much. You're doing God's work.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Remember when you spell God backwards, it spells.
Speaker 5: Dog got dog, ye.
Speaker 2: Jamie. All right, here comes the news at the bottom of the hour. When we get back, when we talk to a really interesting dude. He may not think he's interesting, Vic Femi. He's with the Northboro doll Men's Club. This will be interesting right after They're all interesting tonight, right after the.
Speaker 5: News, it's night.
Speaker 1: Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, we've had many guests here on Nightside over the years, eighteen years and I've never had a gentleman from a group that is entitled the Dell Men's Club, but that's what we have right now. Vin Femia, he's the vice president of the Dell Men's Club. Vin, welcome to nightside. How are you.
Speaker 6: I'm doing fine, Dan, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. How long have you been vice president? Is the president term limited? Can you potentially ascend to the top spot anytime soon?
Speaker 6: That's not anything like that. But the president is actually the founder of the local chapter of the Dull Men's Club, and he's been in that role for eleven years. He's just unavailable tonight, so I might have been raised to the realm of vice president just in the last couple of days to do that. In fact, this is an international organization and the man who started it won't take the title of president because he says that's too haughty, claims that he's the vice president of the international Adull Men's Club.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you might be the vice president pro tem or something like that tonight, but thank you very much for sitting in. Now. What's the most exciting thing that the Dell Men's Club does during the course of the year.
Speaker 6: Well, okay, First of all, we have a meeting every week, and this is a group of retired men. We'll get together once a week for an hour to talk about whatever. We share experiences. We talk about current news and current events. But with the exception of two topics, we do not allow our group to talk about religion or serious politics because we'd like to stay friendly.
Speaker 2: Leave that tonight's side. We'll handle that for you guys.
Speaker 6: Okay, I know I was just listening to your discussions with people about Elon Musk, but let's not get into that because no.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, we don't. We don't want to stir up any trouble here. So now, this club, I know is based in Northborough, but you have members from several surrounding communities.
Speaker 5: Correct, that's correct.
Speaker 6: There are actually at least three dull men's clubs in Massachusetts. Ours is pretty popular because I think the topics seem to interest people, and you know that people invite other folks and folks from other towns. Our Senior Center where the meetings are held, is a vibrant community and there's a lot going on there and it just sort of feeds off the Senior Center and people being invited by other folks and everything. I want to go back to the question you asked though. During the year we do a number of different things. We go on field trips. We've gone to like the New Land Patriots Hall of Fame and Museum. We've gone to the Military American Heritage Military Museum in Hudson. And we're in the process of arranging a flight for the group of those of us who are veterans to fly down to Washington, d C. For just a day trip for a tour of the different monuments and things like that.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, great, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 6: And we also contribute to the community, like every couple of months we contribute to the local food bank food pantry that supplies food to needy families. Sure, and I hope I'm answering your question anyway.
Speaker 2: No, no, you're giving me a sense of it. And again I know that the name of the club is the one that draws the attention to matter of fact, I read the article out of the Worcester TNG. Sarah Barnacle used to work with us at WBZ here. Well, we're now currently in Medford, so I know Sarah very well. She wrote a great piece. Tells me that it was founded the local chapter eleven years ago. And you've been in existence and the membership has been pretty stable. Are you Are you growing every year by a few members.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we are actually, and of course since these are retired, then we lose a couple of members every once in a while too, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but yeah, Like we have a initiation process where somebody who comes in who's new, we give them five minutes, so just tell us about their background, you know, what where they grew up, what jobs they had, and things like that. So it is growing, and we've got our president. Estimates we've got a group of about sixty total in the organization and our meetings usually have twenty five to thirty people.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good. It'd be great if we could get voted turnout that much. If you don't know, a month on a monthly I don't want to get in politics here, but if you if you do that on a monthly basis, that's that's a good backbone for the club. So there's a lot of clubs, rotaries and Lions clubs and Elks clubs. Is this you mentioned that there's three chapters in Massachusetts. Are there other chapters around the country or is this endemic to Massachusetts.
Speaker 6: Now, like I said before, it's an international organization that was started by a man in England.
Speaker 2: Oh correct, okay, let I should have caught that when you mentioned it. I was focused the probably my next question, so it's.
Speaker 6: Easy to understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's international. Okay. Do you ever get a member from another country who happens to be in the Northborough area. I'm sure that you know this says some you know cross over here. It must be kind of exciting when you have someone, let us say, from England or Australia or whoever the clubs are elsewhere. Have you ever had a foreign member sit in for one of the sessions?
Speaker 6: In fact, every year we have a barbecue that's hosted by one of the Dall Men's Clubs in Massachusetts for the for all the clubs in Massachusetts, and at one of them a few years ago, the founder followed by the name of Gordon Klick attended and in fact, we had a very interesting conversation with him at maybe a dull men level, interesting conversation about one of our road trips that we had just had, and he told us about what he said was the first bus tour that they ever went on the bus. Drove up, the bus driver, get out. He walked them around the bus, showed them how much air was in the tires. Let them get on the bus, let them get off the bus, and that was the bus tour.
Speaker 2: Well, you know something you got to take. You got to think, take things slowly. I mean, there's no sense of getting on a bus the first time and going cross country once that all of us find out. It's one life is one step at a time, and if you're careful with your steps, it might not be the most exciting life, but it probably is a life that that is fulfilling, nonetheless. And it looks to me I looked at the pictures in the TNG here I could tell from the expressions on the fellow's faces that they that they enjoy themselves. When you go to the center, okay, for for your you meet how often again, help once a month or is it more.
Speaker 5: Often once a week?
Speaker 2: Every wedd once a week? Okay? So and you meet fifty two weeks a year, do you take a little break in the summertime just to kind of, you know, calm down a little bit.
Speaker 6: Now, the meeting always takes place, and whoever can make it makes it, and whoever can't, you know, they'll come maybe the next time. So yes, it's two weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, okay, And I assume that you might have to adjust your schedule if there's something more exciting and competition. Let us say, if it falls on the fourth of July or on Christmas. I assume you might have the meeting a couple of days before, a couple of days after. I'm just guessing.
Speaker 6: Actually, that's a very good point because this year the meetings are usually on Wednesday, and this year Christmas and New Year's were on Wednesday, so we did skip those two weeks. So you are right about that.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a no. Look, I certainly, I certainly can understand that. Let me ask you something, vic are you you're a local author and you're described as by my friend Sarah Barnacle local author, a certified dell man. Is that a member you call yourself? It's a dub men's club, so you accept the moniker of it being a dull man. Correct.
Speaker 6: I guess it's sort of a mixed blessing kind of thing. But yeah, I was lucky enough to have three books that I've written and be published one is about the Red Sox and two about the New England Patriots. And I've done some talks about those kinds of things.
Speaker 2: And what era did you write about the Red Sox if I could ask.
Speaker 6: Well, back in two it was back in two thousand and three and two thousand and four, and I wrote about why they had never won for so many years and then what happened in two thousand and four to change things. And you know, I donated half of the proceeds for this to the ALS Association, the Blu Garage disease, people who treat families that have or worked with families rather lugaryag's disease.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And you know, I've done these talks at the doll Men's Club and at the Senior Center and so on, and we've had other speakers come in as well to talk about different top of types of things. In fact, it was an extended meeting. We had Harvey Leonard come in a few weeks ago to just talk about the storms that we had ten.
Speaker 2: Years ago, great great meteorologist. Okay, so I'm gonna I'm gonna run one question by you, gonna run some names by you. Here. I don't know how old, Joe, but I'm assuming that probably you you're a baby boomer. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 6: That's correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, what do the following names have in common? Sammy White, Pete Daily, Leo Kylie, and Billy Consolo all.
Speaker 6: Were former Red Sox players. Sammy White was a catcher, Billy Consolo was a maybe a utility infielder. I forgot the other two names, but they were all for me.
Speaker 2: Daily, Pete Daily.
Speaker 6: Pete Dailey doesn't ring a bell. To be honest, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Daily was was Tammy White's backup.
Speaker 6: And Leo Kyley, boy, the name is familiar. John Kylie used to be the organist.
Speaker 2: Of course, write a different spelling. Leo Kyley no relation, he always went. When you refer to a left handed pitcher in those days, you always have to use the adjective he's a crafty left handed pitcher.
Speaker 6: I know, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: They were all crafty right hand Yeah, no, there were no crafty right handers. Also, one of my closest friends passed away at the ripe age of ninety ninety one, Ted Lepsio. So yeah, you know, I'm a big Red Sox and baseball guy as well, and of course everyone in New England's now a football guy. Well look, yeah, I hope I didn't stir anybody's heart too quickly when I mentioned Leo Kylie and Sammy White and Pete Day and Billy Consolo and Ted Lepsio. But I wanted to just take the take the temperature in the room up a little bit. Okay, thank you so much, Vic. I enjoyed chatting with you. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: Okay, yep, thanks a lot, Dan.
Speaker 2: And if folks want to join the club, I'm gonna ask crazy questions. Do you have a website where they can go or how do they do? They just show up at the meeting sit the Senior Center. What do they do?
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, there is a website. They can go to www dot Dollman's Club dot com all one word for doll Men's Club. And yes, the other part of your question if they just want to show up. The meetings are Wednesdays at ten o'clock. And as I say, any topic is open except for those two about religion and serious politics.
Speaker 2: And and let me just give you a little tip when you give the website, don't need the www. Anymore, just doll Men's Club dot Com. It's as simple as that. That www. They used it for a while, but that's that's a little antiquated, Okay.
Speaker 6: The members of the club, so it works out with.
Speaker 2: No they the members of the club are experienced, they're not antiquated. Thanks Vig. Enjoyed the conversation very much. Thank you so much, have a great one. Good night. Can you see Sarah Barnacle say hi for me?
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks, good I love you too.
Speaker 2: All right, by byeh That was fun and we get back. We're going to talk about an issue in controversy which we're going to talk about next hour two and that is the fate of Boston's White Stadium. Chris Lisinski, state House News reporter for the State House News, is coming up right after the break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All Right with us now is State House News Reporter Chris Lisinski. Chris, appreciate you taking the time. You had a busy day today. I believe that you were over at a frigid Franklin park covering the demonstration which is trying to stop the demolition of Boston's White Stadium. Looked like it was a pretty good sized crowd there today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, a few dozen folks turned out for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is an interesting case because I guess the demolition has started, even though this is scheduled for I guess area coord trials sometime next month.
Speaker 5: It does indeed look like that. Granted, the demolition work that we're seeing does appear to be preliminary. Some trees, and you know, those of us who are on site saw crews working on one of the grand stands at the stadium. This is a grand stand that has been damaged for years by fire and was probably always going to be replaced whatever direction the project goes. But still there is work underway, as you noted, about a month before a trial is set to begin in a lawsuit challenging this project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm assuming that there must have been some sort of a request for a temporary restraining order that was denied. Obviously, the two elements of a temporary restraining order are that you have to show that there's irreparable damage. I think demolition fit into that category pretty easily, But you also have to show a greater likelihood that you would prevail on the merits. Have you covered this story over the last few weeks so you could confirm for me that there was an effort to stop this, but that request for restraining order was not allowed.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I haven't covered it as much as some of my other colleagues in the press, but I do believe you're right that the court battle has certainly been going on for some time. It's not a brand new court battle, so there was certainly a chance for a judge to intervene at some point before we got to this phase, and instead we have a trial scheduled for next month.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is interesting because I'm told and I again if I'm not asking you to make any sort of a commentary here you're a reporter, but that a lot of trees are apparently going to be taken down to make way for I guess some other aspects of things that might surround a new White stadium. And told us about one hundred and forty five trees that are in jeopardy, and I think some of that work might be underway as well.
Speaker 5: It seems like some of the trees are starting to come down. That is one of these central complaints that opponents of this project are raising is the cutting down of these trees. That being said, the response from city Hall is that once the project is fully complete, there will actually be even more trees than when they started. There are plans to install some new trees and actually add about an acre of green space once we get to the other end of this controversial process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's controversial. It's also expensive. I guess the price tag at this point looks that it's going to be about one hundred million dollars. As you understand, is that all in you know, for the effort that is that from soup to.
Speaker 5: Nuts that would be That would be about the city's contribution to this. A lot of the work under the agreement would be funded by Boston Unity Soccer Partners, the private group hoping to bring a pro women's soccer team to a new white stadium. I think the latest estimation is that the city's share would be about ninety one million dollars altogether.
Speaker 2: Okay, so those contracts tend to roove up a little bit. What is the what if this is a public private partnership, what are the private folks contributing? What's the Have you seen an estimate of the overall cost for this to go from from where we are now to actually completion.
Speaker 5: Oh, great question. I do think it is roughly fifty fifty. I could be wrong about that, but I'm sure that it's by you know, at the very least. I would expect that the private investors are matching, if not exceeding, what the city is expected to pay here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know that it's become an issue in the mayoral race. And Josh Craft, who will join us after the nine o'clock news and we'll hear from him, but he was out there with these demonstrators today. I guess the one thing that you can comment on without getting into the politics of it is it was chili out there today.
Speaker 5: Yes, I can confirm. But folks were bumbled up well, stars, gloves, hat, the whole nine yards. So it did not deter anyone from speech.
Speaker 2: And that is for sure dedicated protesters. That's great, Chris Lisinski, Thanks very much. If folks want to subscribe to the State House News Service, it's a great service. It's a digital it's a digital website. How can they get in touch with you guys and become subscribers because you really do some great work. Up there at the State House. The major TV stations are not spending nearly the amount of time that we spent up there when I was a TV reporter back in the twentieth last in the last century, in the twentieth century. How can folks get in touch with you become subscribers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, State Housenews dot com. We've got a twenty one day trial for anyone, so he just head to our website. You can sign up right there. And Dan, we always appreciate getting a plug.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you, I'm a big fan and we'd love to have you on or we follow it closely and we'll have you on more often than any of the other contributors. They're welcome as well. Chris, thanks very much for what you do. It feels a very important need we have to keep an eye at all times on these politicians on Beacon Ill. Thanks Chris, I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 5: My pleasure.
Speaker 2: Then talk to you soon when we get back on to talk with Boston Merriw candidate Josh Kraft about that very issue that we talked with Chris about, and that is the demolition of White Stadium. And what's my question frankly, is what's the rush. We'll see what Josh Craft has to say on the other side of the nine o'clock news. Stay with us, everybody,