Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI, A M six.
Speaker 2: Forty Nature Kelly, Mark talks about pontificates about pop culture, Ron and Report with Mark Ronner.
Speaker 3: It's Later with Moe Kelly on KF I Am six forty live everywhere on the iHeart App.
Speaker 4: I'm Mark Ronner. This is the Runner Report. Now.
Speaker 3: I wasn't about to watch the new Karate Kid movie opening this weekend, and I have no intention of talking about it except for this right now, right here. We know everything we're gonna know about it, and if you're gonna see it, you're gonna see it. But I went into a little horror film called Bring Her Back more or less blind. I hadn't even seen the trailer. All I knew is that it was from the people who did a respectable little horror movie called Talk to Me three years ago, the Philippoo brothers, Danny and Michael, and I got my hair blown back.
Speaker 4: Here's just a little bit of the trailer.
Speaker 3: You were gonna put you with a foster mom called Laura, you can love her.
Speaker 4: Welcome to your new home.
Speaker 2: Room.
Speaker 4: I want to show you something else this.
Speaker 5: Way stuffed p I'm a weird dog.
Speaker 4: The little girl touches a stuffed dog. How did she.
Speaker 1: Comes, Cassy Bingle, I didn't.
Speaker 3: How did you cope with your daughter being gone? I didn't bring her back. If you say bring her back, like get her done, it doesn't sound so scary. It's a little Australian horror story starring Sally Hawkins, who you might remember from the Shape of Water as the nice lady who gets it on with the fish man. She's not so nice in this. Here's the one line description. A brother and sister uncover terrifying ritual at a secluded home of their new foster mother, and that doesn't even begin to cover it. I'm not even sure this is a review so much as a warning.
Speaker 4: This isn't a.
Speaker 3: Dopey date night horror flick like that awful Final Destination movie I reviewed here a couple of weeks ago. It's not a bloody good time, as some of the hack critics called that. It's messed up. It's disturbing. It's transgressive, shocking horror for people who are into movies like Hereditary or Midsummer and some ocular trauma. I was a child protective services worker about a lifetime ago, and I can tell you, having placed some kids in foster care, that's frightening enough without the supernatural element.
Speaker 4: Let me put it this way.
Speaker 3: There was just one couple in the late night screening with me last night, and they were blabbing really loud in the first part of the movie, and I gave him a sh but I wasn't sure they heard it. And as I was thinking about yelling at him to shut the f up and waiting to see what they did, I realized the movie was so unsettling that it had shut them the f up. A little more about it. After their father dies, a boy who's about to turn eighteen in three months, and his younger sister who's vision impaired, not blind and impaired, they get placed in a foster home and their new foster mom goes from being quirky to something a lot worse fast. She's still grieving her dead daughter, and she's got a mute little boy who can't be trusted with the cat can't go outside a big white circle surrounding the house. In horror movies, circles around things are to keep terrible things in or to keep them out. Kids often ruin horror movies and pretty much everything else. Let's be honest, but this is possibly the creepiest kit I've ever seen in a movie. The new boy and his sister just want a place to stay for the three months till he turns eighteen, and then they'll move out and he'll take care of her. But they're not going to make it three months, and I don't want to tell you a lot more than that. In terms of plot specifics, it's a bit of a slow burn with building dread punctuated by some seriously shocking incidents. I'm pretty case hardened as a horror fan, but one of these made me jump. Another one made me say Jesus out loud in the theater, So now that couple probably wanted to tell me to shut the f up. And when things really get going, you're in the hands of some talented satus who crank up the discomfort and the sickness so high you might want to leave. It's not an easy watch, which is a major compliment for a movie like this. It's easily one of the best horror movies of this year so far. I'd say it's tied with Sinners for best, but it's such a different smaller, nastier, more traumatizing experience that you can't really compare the two. I think David Cronenberg would watch Bring Her Back and think what's wrong with the guys who made this? The guys who made it, the Philipoo brothers get so much done with a little four and a half million dollar budget that it's inspiring. I can't wait to see what they do when a studio throws some actual money at them to play with, and they will. Do not bring your kids to this movie. Do not bring your grandparents, Do not bring anyone decent. This is nightmare fuel. It's about grief and child abuse and protective love and possession and what you do to get back someone who's loss absolutely tortures you, and you won't be able to shake it off right when you walk out of the theater into the fresh air either. This one stuck with me. Sally Hawkins terrific as the foster mom, but the scary little boy upstages.
Speaker 4: Everyone.
Speaker 3: Give this kid either an oscar or a bowl of raw meat. But that's not the pull quote. Here's your pull quote, publicist. Bring Her Back made me want to cry into a puddle of my own vomit. Can't wait to see it again with a full audience so I can watch them. I can't predict how much Bring Her Back is going to make because it's strong stuff. But I often see lists on Reddit of most disturbing horror films, and all the usual suspects are on it. Cannibal, Holocaust, Hereditary, like I mentioned up top, the original French version of Martyr's a Serbian film, which I won't watch. If you know anything about that one, you'll understand why I think Bring Her Back is going to become a permanent fixture on those lists. We may have a new cult classic here, mo, when are you and Twala and Fushian I gonna go see this?
Speaker 4: You sold me? Really? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Already cult classic? I think possibly? Yeah, Yeah, it's that good. But like I said, it's some serious business. And I looked at some of the objections to the movie by critics who panned it, and there aren't very many who do. Their main objection seems to be that it's just too unpleasant, a horror movie that's too unpleasant, It did its job too well well.
Speaker 4: The fact that you compared it or you brought up Servian film like okay, you sold me.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I haven't seen that, and like I said, that's one of the few that I won't because it's kind of a touchy subject for me, especially as a former CPS worker. But if you're looking for a light, enjoyable horror film, it is not this one. I mean, there's a time and a place for everything. This is when you're in the mood for something a little extra spicy. I compare movies to food a lot. This is not comfort food. Also, a handsome little dadbod here on my part, there's yourun a report mode.
Speaker 4: Wow, that was succinct. Well we were short on time, No I did I.
Speaker 5: Not say before the segment, take as much time as you need, or you can carry it over into the next segment.
Speaker 3: I think people know everything they need to know about this. I went in without knowing much at all, and I'm glad that I did. And in fact, I just told a couple of my horle friends see this, don't read anything, don't watch the trailer. Tell me what you think when when you're shuffling out traumatized. See.
Speaker 5: I'm not a big fan of today's horror. I'm not a big fan of the genre overall. Because I don't. I don't need anything impact in my sleep. I don't need to be traumatized. I don't need to jump out of fear. I don't like you in those feelings at all. That's why I want you to go with me and Tawala. It's fun to watch people watch horror films that you've already seen.
Speaker 4: Nah, no, I'll pass. No, I don't watch horror. No, I do not watch.
Speaker 3: I don't believe the two of your dirty cowards. I think we're gonna all see it together. You're gonna grip my arms in terror. It'll be fun. Nope, I'll pass. Maybe Stephan will go with you. I would there you go, got a date? Yeah, Stefan, he's got some nerve when it comes to watching movies. He's asked me about a few, and I've made some recommendation.
Speaker 5: Challenging our manhood like that reverse psycholog She is actually gonna I mean, hey, you know what, go for self?
Speaker 6: I mean, you know nothing is gonna make me jump up and say, what how dare you? I'm watching it now? No, no, sir, No gauntlet can be throwing this. Then give me to see some sick, twisted uh fetish film for Team Shuttings or.
Speaker 3: Whatever the hell it's about. I understand, I understand. The two of you are very sensitive, and we can go to a break real fast, so the two of you can go pee sitting down.
Speaker 4: It's fine. Almost cut wow, wow, mother, my mouth so fast. It's like a mother father. Say what Daniel cut off his camera. Stephanof is Mike. We're gonna go meet him in the studio. I think it's a whole I think it's a whole way. Uh, filtered, unfiltered. Okay, let's take this. Okay, to take this to the hallway. I have work to do. Okay. Oh, we'll just bring it in the newsroom. Then I'm locking the door. Oh crap, the door doesn't have a lock.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty