Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray onbs Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: Karen, I don't know about you, but I'm a little worried right now. Okay, this is getting me a little bit. One and four to start the season. I don't know what's going on, but I watched that game this afternoon and there was it was a nice little comeback at the end, but too little, too late. I'm I'm a little worried. I'm a little worried. My name is Dan Ray. I'm the host of Nightside here every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnight. When I'm not worrying about belove at Boston Red Sox. Man, that was rough today. Well, tomorrow's though. They don't play tomorrow, so they gotta gotta wait till Wednesday for the for the next Red Sox win. Okay, it's an off day tomorrow. That's good. No loss, no loss tomorrow. As you can tell, it bothers me. It bothers me a great deal. But I have to I have to buckle down and I have to focus on Nightside, which I am gonna do for the next four hours. And I will take you from March thirty first all the way up to April first. I know it's April Fool's Day, but that's the truth. We only have a little less than four hours left in the month of March. Once March is by, I feel winter's gone. Why don't you get a blizzard later this week. My name is Dan Ray and I'm kind of going on here a little bit. But that's what happens when the Red Sox lose. Anyway, put that out of your mind. We can't be thinking about the Red Sox, gonna be thinking about Nightside. Rob Brooks is back at the control room. He is all set. All of New England is thinking about the Red Sox, but all of New England is also thinking about Nightside, and that's my responsibility. So we have four very interesting guests coming up this hour tonight, at like nine o'clock. We're going to talk about social security because I think it's important to get maybe take the temperature down a little bit on that and it's important to folks who are unsocial security right now, but also folks who are paying into social security and make sure that those people who are just entering social security understand that the system has worked for a long time. Tomorrow night, we're going to be joined. We were supposed to be joined tonight by Jim Roosevelt, Boston lawyer, grandson of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who of course actually signed the Social Security Law back in nineteen thirty five. There's also a great article in Today's Boston Globe by Sean Murphy that I would commend to you highly. And then later on I'm going to criticize ICE a little bit. I think that they are a little out over their skis here, and I think it is not a good look to arrest people while you're wearing, you know, undercovered garments. You're not in uniform streak clothes as it were, you're handcuffing thirty year old toughs university student. I have no idea what the allegations are specifically, and we'll talk about that beginning sometime later tonight, probably at ten o'clock. But first I want to welcome back to night's side, Steph Solace of Axio's Boston Xio's Boston reporter. Hi, Steph, welcome back. How are you?
Speaker 3: Thank you very much? I'm good. How about yourself?
Speaker 2: Well, other than the Red Sox, it's been a really nice day. I mean it wasn't nice weather wise, it really was horrible. And the Red Sox game was even worse than the weather, and I watched it, and as you can tell, it has had an impact on me. I assume you're a Red Sox.
Speaker 3: I would say as a transplant, I am based agnostic. But I understand that.
Speaker 2: So you're not suffering.
Speaker 3: Man, it's to be masochistic in some way.
Speaker 2: You Well, no, we had we had four very good years two thousand and four, two thousand and seven, twenty thirteen. In twenty fourteen, I think we have more Major League Baseball World Championships this century than any other team in baseball.
Speaker 3: So that's how the years in between that caused so much pain.
Speaker 2: It looks like, well, I know, but we've gotten over that. We we just we just don't want to go back. We cannot go back to another drought like that. And I thank you for giving me some counseling as well as being available as a guest to talk about the Karen Reed trial or Karen Reed Trial number two, which starts tomorrow. I know you're all over this, but and later on this hour, we're going to talk about the first part of the trial, which is jury selection with my friend Phil Tracy, Boston attorney. We'll talk about that, but let's talk about how wild a scene do you think we're going to see tomorrow. I guess they have moved back the areas where people can gather further and further away from the courthouse. Do you think that's going to defuse some of the passion and the tension that's out there stuff?
Speaker 3: I mean, it'll at least contain it a little farther from the courthouse, but it's definitely not going to diffuse the passion that's existed. I mean, either are folks from across New England coming down to you know, protest this retrial or at least protest the prosecution of Karen Reid. And you know, this is the second time around. This is years, a year's long process, you know, the investigation and prosecution here, and to see so many people still coming out that, if anything, is an indication of just how much tension and how much attention has been given to this case.
Speaker 2: What's crazy about the trial is not only did it appear to me that the jury did not understand the judge's instructions or the judge did not offer clear instructions to the jury, and that's why we had that whole hullabaloo of the last few months about whether or not the jury had or had not agreed that she should be acquitted on charges one and three, And of course the courts have not given her any leeway there, so she's going to face retrial on all three charges. Today the judge apparently decided that some of the defense strategies would be permitted, some wouldn't be permitted. It seems to me this is a pretty heavy involvement by a judge in this trial, and I would have been tempted if I were her defensal attorney. And maybe they still will ask this judge to recuse herself. She has a good reputation, but she's become so embroiled in all of these questions about her judgment. I hope she's able to conduct the trial fairly Trial number two. Do you have any thoughts on that idea?
Speaker 3: So, if anything's different, I think it's that she will at least make sure that jury instructions are clear when it comes to deliberating a verdict at the end. Because Consid's twenty twenty, and whether or not it was her fault or some of the jury's misunderstanding and the failure of consensus on all three counts, all three charges, no matter who's the blame, if anyone, that's something that I'll be taken care of. I can't speak to the rest of that, but you know, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure not trying to put I have a little more flexibility here, so I didn't mean to put you on the spot. It just seems to me that that that I would not be surprised. I don't know if the defense lawyers might at some point ask her to recuse herself. Now maybe they figured that that's only that's not gonna win any any favor from her, But it's it is. It's been one of those trials that, for some reason, and it has elements obviously it's a police officer who sadly has lost his life, would not exactly beyond a reasonable doubt as to what caused it. Was it Karen Reid backing up? Was it something that happened after she left? That's obviously for the For the second set of jurors. The other thing that's interesting, and I'm sure you can comment on this. One of the alternate jurors who was not involved in the deliberations, but sat there through the entire trial. They did not dismiss the alternate jurors until they reduced it from sixteen to twelve. She's now part of the defense team. This alternate jurist happen to be a lawyer. Lawyer can lawyers, can appear for a jury duty and can be placed on juries. And that is another twist that I've never seen in my experiences here in Boston, which adds another interesting element to this second trial.
Speaker 3: This trial has just been full of twists and turns, and you know, depending on where you stand on everything, it's a spectacle that has just become increasingly dramatic or can be seen as a series of distractions. Whether it's Victoria George joining the defense team, whether it's the alleged witness intimidate or involvement related to Aiden Kearney, the blogger, or the situation with the state trooper Michael Proctor who's now no longer employed by the State Police. There's just so many things that almost seem ancillary or tangential to the crux of this, which is whether or not Karen Reid is at fault for the killing of John O'Keefe, and it's I think that just adds to a lot of the speculation about what really happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll tell you And as sad as this is to say, if there's not a movie made of this, and again we cannot forget that a person lost his life, but if there's not some sort of made for TV movie or some other movie made this story, I will be very surprised. Steph Solis, Axio's Boston reporter, thank you so much for commiserating me with me as much as you could about the Red Sox now one in four. Do appreciate whatever limited support you were able to give me emotionally, But I was very helpful. Well, that's that's how that's helpful too. That's another we kind of Yeah, there is still one hundred and fifty seven games left in the season. Absolutely, Steph, thanks so much. You're good sport. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks taking you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Well, we come back when we talk about a prediction that Bill Gatesman. He said within ten years, humans won't be needed for most things. Boy does that sound dystopian. We're going to talk to an AI inventor and technologist and author of a book called Transcend Unlocking Humanity in the Age of AI. Coming back on Nightside. This is a Nightside with Dan Ray that you're listening to WBZ ten thirty and your AM dial. And by the way, you can always download We're an iHeart radio station. You can download the iHeart app very easily from whatever play store you frequent, put it on your your device, your smart device, and you can make us your first preset WBZ in Boston, So we will always be just a fingertip away from you anywhere in the world. You'll be able to listen to Nightside of BZ during the day. Twenty four seven, three sixty five. That's my suggestion for the night. I don't have some other suggestions as well, but there's nothing better than the one I just made. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: You know, I am not a big fan of Bill Gates, and he has just dropped down in my book a little bit because he is. He apparently has stated on on a comedy a nighttime comedy show. So it wasn't what you what you'd call a scholar's a meeting, a mensa meeting that ten years from now, within ten years, humans won't be needed for most things. That's not hell, that's not good with me? Is Faisal Hawk Fisal an AI innovator and a technologist. He's off. He's also the author of a book called Transgend Transcend Unlocking Humanity in the Age of Ai. Faisel, Welcome to nightside. How are you doing well?
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: I've never been a big fan of Bill Gates. To be really honest with you, I'm not not my my cup of tea. But when he makes this prediction humans won't be needed for most things, I think, and I know nothing about AI, you do, but I think he is what what what do you think of that? Am I off? Beat? Here? Off? You know? Off? Am I so far out of reality that that that Gates has nailed it?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: Look, I mean it's already happening, whether we like it or not. So if you're in the community un following, you can see how gradually it has taken over in terms of the decision you make to see a particular show or food you order, or you know, the things you read. And now there are these humanoid robots that are being built by Nvidia and Tesla and others that will be that will be able to do work in a physical form like a restaurant. You know, in restaurant, it'll be able to cook food for you, serve food for you, self driving cars, and obviously there's all sorts of research assistant that are basically AI persona when in software that helps you to do that. So once you add all that up, many of the many of the jobs as we know today is no longer going to be the same. And within ten, fifteen, twenty years, I don't know whether it's ten years or whether it's fifteen years. He's kind of right in the sense that a lot of the stuff that we do, whether that's physical, you know, physical labor or intellectual labor, is going to be gone.
Speaker 2: Well, let me let me discuss it with you then, fazl Okay, I've been in you know, I've rode in one of the driving cars in in in San Francisco. I understand that. But and you go through grocery stores and now it's all automatic checkout lines, okay, or mostly automatic checkout lines, which I refuse to go through. Uh to be honest with you because I like to actually deal with a clerk and maybe sometimes ask questions. Uh. And I know that people will argue that, well, we won't have any need for mail anymore, so therefore the post officers. But we're always going to need teachers. As far as I'm concerned, I don't want my kid or my grandchild to be taught by a robot. We're going to need, you know, professional sports. I don't want to go watch a basketball game at Madison Square Garden between two teams, the robots and the audit autumn on's. I just think this is over sold. I remember watching cartoons as a kid that you know, the Jetsons, and I'm sure you're younger than I am because everybody is well, you know, thirty years from now, people will be flying, they'll be flying cars to work. How did that work out? It didn't. So I'm just fighting this trend a little bit. I understand AI has has value, but who's going to take care of people in nursing homes. Who's when when Who's going to take the places of nurses and doctors? I mean, you're gonna send it sit with a robot. Who's gonna tell you do you do you really see that as the future?
Speaker 4: Well, let me let me, let me put it.
Speaker 2: Go ahead. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, because you know more than I do. But I wanted to throw my a couple of punches your way. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: No, I'm glad you're you're doing that because you know the book I just finished writing after three years of research and thinking and and you know, doing the work is that, you know, I kind of come in the middle of the road. I am super optimistic about future, but I'm also very cautious about future because you know, here's a way to look at it. I mean, you know, I mean, we've been talking about a lot of these technology for a long time, but now it's finally reaching at a critical factor. And you know, and there's also a generational change that's happening. So for example, you know you're talking about you don't like self driving car? Neither do I. I still like my state ship, you know, the convertible decity in my coupe. Turn that out because it's my freedom and it's my love or whatever. Right, But if you look at the next generation, they have grown up with technology and they're more used they're more comfortable dealing with technology, and that acceleration of technology is kind of being now driven by them, also adopted by them, et cetera, et cetera. So and the fact is that a lot of these technology is already here, right. So, and if you look at there's a couple of factors that will change how fast and how critically it gets accepted. So, for example, it's the profit margin of corporations, because corporations are there to make money, so they will do anything and everything to optimize and be more efficient and ultimately gener more profit. So that's one driver. Second driver is that adoption. You are mean may not like sitting in the back of a self driving car. I'd rather drive my own car. I mean, I experienced driving in Germany where I had like a semi automatic car and it's constantly correcting, you know, with the lain correction and how fast I'm going and telling you that I should have a coffee paste.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: But so there's that generational change. And the third element is that we have never had any kind of technology in human history which can actually think for itself and had the ability to create a collective intelligence base. That's much more you know, intelligence than you are me as an individual. Right, So when you add all those three factors, uh, there are things that's going to be dramatically changed. You mentioned this not you know that who's going to take care of our parents and in nursing home and doctors and whatnot. So let me give you a very personal experience. Just recently lost my mother who was in nursing home thank you, who was in a nursing home and she suffered from you know, the dementia and tail end of her life. I was very much wishing there was a companion that's not going to react, just calm her down, rather than the nursing uh, you know, nursing home staff who were you know, it was very it's very difficult to deal with that kind of patient because you know, it takes a different kind of patient's label level and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So I'm you know, an unemotional companion would in many cases would have been much better for her. Another example, you know, my son is a cancer survivor. Uh, and you know we are pushing you know, the oncology community is pushing the research boundary, utilizing a large scale, a large language model, and other other competing model to figure out what's the predictive nature of the the disease and what's the best uh you know path for uh you know, the treatment that is very individualistic rather than you know, one formal applies for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, Look, I agree with you. There's there's a lot of progress in a lot of areas. I should have you backfires because I've got three guests, four guests, and I got to get to my next guest unfortunates. But I'd love to have you back because you're an interesting guy and you and you come back with some pretty good arguments, and I think we could have a really good hour if we incorporate phone callers. So I'm going to let my producer getting back. In the meantime, I just want to mention your book again. It is called transcend Unlocking Humanity in the Age of Ai. Uh. I'm looking forward to it. We'll have a really good hour, incorporate some phone callers as well. Thank you so much for being with us tonight. In the Thank you, my friend. We'll talk soon. Okay, we get back. We're going to talk about an invasive species along the Massachusetts coast. You've probably never heard of these green crabs. Way do you hear what someone has come up with to eliminate this threat? This is amazing. Stay with us right back right after the news.
Speaker 1: Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I had never heard of this, and I try to keep up on things, but European green crabs sounds painful. Are an invasive species inhabiting and destroying Massachusetts coasts. Why didn't I know about this? With us is my guest Sharon saint Ours, who runs a family business and has created a new dehydrated crab broth from these invasive European green crabs? How long have these green crabs been on our shoreline? Sharon? How are you? How are you tonight?
Speaker 6: Good? Dan? Hi, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Thank god you guys have come up with a solution. By the way, let me first of all, thank you for that. How long have these little devils been out there?
Speaker 6: They've been around for a couple of hundred years. Actually they we think they came over on the ballast of ships in the early to mid eighteen hundreds, So waste.
Speaker 2: How come no one ever told me about this? I've never heard. When did you first hear about these little critters?
Speaker 6: Well, I've seen them around, you know, for a very long time. If you wade into I grew up on a river, if you wade out into the river on the coastline, they're always crawling around your feet. So they've been around for a while.
Speaker 2: How bigger? How big are they?
Speaker 5: How big are They're small?
Speaker 6: They're small. They they're carapists or their body grows to about three inches across and that's as about as because they get three inches, Yeah, just three inches.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good size. Do they have the landing like little antennae? Are we sure they're not like alien creatures?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well from Europe?
Speaker 2: Well that's pretty ailing to me, I'll tell you that's for sure. So they've been around for a long time. I must be honest with you. I haven't been around since. Would you say the eighteen hundreds?
Speaker 6: Right? Right?
Speaker 2: Okay? All roomors to the contrary. I never lived during the eighteen hundreds. I did live Durund the nineteen hundreds, and no one ever warned me about green crabs. When did you first learn about them?
Speaker 6: I went to I go to these speeches at the North or South River Watershed Association, and then back in twenty seventeen, I went to a lecture series and they were discussing, you know what problems they've created that because they're becoming so abundant right now, they're not dying off in the numbers that they used to do. They hibernate in the winter time, they borrow into the marshes, and a lot of them, a large number of them used to die off in the winter in the cold. But now they're just not being eliminated like they were before.
Speaker 2: So are we talking I'm being very serious now, are we talking about tens of thousands or are we talking about millions of green crabs? Oh?
Speaker 6: I don't I don't actually know that number.
Speaker 5: But at least there are thousands.
Speaker 6: I mean, there are thousands of them that you can pull out in during a season, like just with a few traps that they're really easy to catch, their inshore crabs, so you don't have to, you know, take your boat out the ocean of very deep water. And they're they're very voracious. They eat everything, they eat native species. So they're becoming a real problem.
Speaker 2: But they but they only grow to three three inches and you said in with.
Speaker 6: Or length in with like across there there body. And that's the biggest size I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: How long?
Speaker 6: Very small?
Speaker 2: If they're three inches in width, how long are these dewt These little.
Speaker 6: Guys, they're about you know, an inch and a half by about three inches their legs. They don't have a lot of leg or claw meat like a lot of the crabs that we like to eat, like the Jonah crab.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, okay, So you got a plan which is to basically wipe these this invasive species out, and you have come up with a way to make clam broth. And it's it's your company. It's Saint Saint Ours Clambroth.
Speaker 6: Right. So our company has been around since nineteen seventy nine. My father started the company, and we're taking sort of the byproduct of the fishing industry in this case. In the what he originally started the company with was utilizing the cookwater of clams and dehydrating it, making it into broth powder, which has a long shelf life. It's great in soups and you know, particularly New England clam chowder, which we all love around here. So I've applied the same sort of thinking to this problem and have made a dehydrated green crab broth powder.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now my question is if it's a dehydrated clam broth powder, is it on the market at this point?
Speaker 6: We just announced it at the recent Seafood Expo at the Boston Convention.
Speaker 2: Center and recently how recently.
Speaker 6: This was around Saint Patrick's Day.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's really recent. That's really recent. Okay, So where can people purchase the product? Do they either get it through Amazon through you or is it at retail store?
Speaker 6: Right now, just directly through us, and we're selling a food service size container of it to restaurants and we are also will be coming out with a retail product.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what the big question is, I know what clam chowder tastes, like, what do you do with Saint Ours clam broth, which is, well, it's that's your company. What do you do with with this green crab broth? I assume that are you going to label it that?
Speaker 6: Are you going to Yes, we're calling it, we're calling it crab broth, but you know we have the little green crab on there, so you know it's the green crab and it's actually really delicious. It's the broth. Is it has a sweetness that comes out of these crabs. They're very sweet in flavor and you know, a little bit herbasious like you know, it has a little bit of a salinity, a seaweedy flavor as well, and they're used widely in Europe. They make an excellent stock, so you can use it as you would any any kind of fish stock or shell fish stock, and it makes a delicious like a chiappino or a bullia base. We were at a restaurant show today and I watched chef David Standridge of the Shipwright's daughter from Connecticut make a lovely bullyabase out of the green crabs.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So if if folks would like, if the people who are going to the restaurant, you're initially going to start with restaurants, and so you might see it on a menu somewhere, which is okay. And if there are people out there who are just dying to test it out in their own case, can they contact you directly. I don't want to have imposed a thousand people looking for some green crab. You know, if you don't have it, but you tell me what works for you. Since you were kind enough to undergo my inquisition, here about the derivation and the size of green crabs. Go ahead, you better go.
Speaker 6: Were Oh, thank you and thanks for talking to me too. They can be we can be reached through our website www dot Saint ours dot com and it's spelled out s A I n T O u r s.
Speaker 2: And they don't Yeah, they don't need the w w W. We can eliminate that. That's a I N T like the word Saint Ours. Oh u r s dot com?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's of Saint Ours? I thought I knew all the saints. I don't know any Saint Ours.
Speaker 6: What's it's it's a French name. Yeah, we hail from Canada.
Speaker 2: And so was there a saint? Was there a saint whose name was actually ours? Or no? I mean I know, I know? Okay, okay, good enough. So that's s A I n T O U r s dot com. If you want to get some green crab broth, and hey, I hope it's the next biggest thing, and maybe we'll have you back at some point and talk about how it's going through the roof for you.
Speaker 6: Oh, that that would be great.
Speaker 2: The only the only little critters that I know of. I live in a fairly old house. And in the summertime we get these these green they almost look like crickets. They're called stink bugs. Do you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: By yes, get them to Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well sure, they're very evasive and when you crush them with you know, piece of toilet paper, it's not an overwhelming but it's not a pleasant smell, you know, and it's like, oh man, you know, that's that's what I was thinking of. Hopefully, Sharon, you a great sport. Thank you for your time tonight, and we'll check back with you, okay, let us know how you're doing. Thank you, Thank you very much, and thank you for talking to me. My pleasure. When we get back on to talk with old friend Phil Tracy, attorney, and we're going to talk about how difficult it is going to be to select a jury in the the Karen Read trial number two. Coming back on night Side right after.
Speaker 1: This Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: My next guest is well known Boston criminal defense attorney Phil Tracy, a friend of mine for many many years.
Speaker 5: Phil.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Nightside.
Speaker 5: How are you, Thanks Dan, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: So we are talking. We talked about the Karen read Trial at eight oh five with Steph Sallace or the Axios Reporter Axios Boston Reporter. Tomorrow, the trial, I guess doesn't technically start because the jury still has not been impaneled, and I think it's going to take a while for them to find a jury in this case. So let's do jury selection one oh one, which I think we both have such a sense of explain to the audience that you could become a juror even if you know about the trial, and I guess everybody in Massachusetts, if not the country, knows about the trial. What's the standard for a juror to be selected.
Speaker 5: Well, you want a juror who's honest with the judge when she asks have you read heard do you know anything about this case? And of course if a juror says, oh, I never heard of it, that's a telltale sign that that person is trying to get on the jury for whatever reason, for the government or for the defendant. So you want jurors that say, I can keep an open mind, I will listen to both the prosecution and the defense, and I'll make my determination based solely on what I receive in the court from the evidence, from the exhibits, and I will follow the judge's instruction. And that's a pretty simple thing. I think if you have intelligent people, they're going to say, yes, I've heard of it, and I can keep an open mind. And even if I had a feeling about it before, I understand now I must put that feeling out of my head and I should absolutely just listen to both sides and make my determination on proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Now this case has it's a lot of doubt. Whether it's reasonable or not, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's let's talk about this. The jury pool is probably the largest jury pool that has ever been summoned in the history of Norfolk County. I think I read the number the other day. It was an astonishing jury pool. Yeah, I think the I think it took them six weeks. If I'm not mistaken to seat a jury in the first trial, I kind of assume it's going to take them at least at and maybe longer to seat a solid jury. What's your thought on that.
Speaker 5: My thought is there is a juxtaposition here. The first jury probably had heard or read something about the case, but the case now has been pried, it's been appealed, It's in the news constantly, both in print and on the TV and on your show. So I think you might get some people to say, I want to do my civic duty. I want to go in there and keep an open mind. Now, remember years ago they used to sequest the juries, they would actually take them. Yeah. So, and though that was very uncomfortable in a long case for anybody, but it did happen. And then they just in the age of of so much electronics, media everything, it's it's it's impossible to uh, you don't need to lock them up. Now, what they did the last time is they the jurors would be bust in from a location to keep their anonymity sacred. And that is something very important that they not be bothered for their decision, whatever that decision is going to be. And you know, now in this case, the first case, the jurors, some jurors came forward because they I think were certainly leaning towards her.
Speaker 2: Let me let me come back to sequestration. What do you think the chances are this jury will be so questioned and what do you think the chances are either the defense or more likely the prosecution will follow motion or change your venue.
Speaker 5: Well that's another thing too. I don't think you can get out of the venue of a disc of a superior court in Massachusetts. Let's say you go out to Pittsfield. You're just people are going to know about this case and their local papers and on their television. So a federal case can be moved to another state. But you know, as you can go back to O. J. Simpson, Whitey, Belosia. People know about these kind of cases. They're familiar with them. Some people live to to follow things, as we know the people that are outside uh rotesting and shouting, you know, So I mean people live for that kind of thing. Sometimes, as I am with twelve angry men with Henry Varda, I thought that was a grateful.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I'm going to roll a hand grenade across the floor to you. Okay, you're a defense Okay. I would be if I was on the read team, I would be mightily uh debating in my mind whether they would ask this judge, after all that's gone on to accuse herself, what's your thought on that?
Speaker 5: Well, I think she's handled herself magnificently. She tried a very tough case. Twice.
Speaker 2: She didn't do a great kill. She didn't do she didn't do a great job on the instructions.
Speaker 5: Well that that let me get to that, but on them because she knows how to keep I think she knows how to keep a wildly impulsive case, something that could blow up at any time. She's been able to keep keep it calm throughout the first trial and throw out the post trial motions. Now we know every judge in the Superior will always in the future be saying to the jury, well, have you voted on one.
Speaker 6: Or the other?
Speaker 2: I give you.
Speaker 5: Cocain.
Speaker 2: But come back to the recusal. It was if any you file emotion to recuse, she denies it, you got an appeal, another repealable issue potentially. And also I think you're guaranteed she's going to probably maybe have to give you a little bit of a break when it's a close call. I think that would be a brilliant move by the defense. Of course I came up with it, so why why wouldn't I think it was a brilliant move.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, let me say this, Uh, she's rolled and there favor or a lot of different things that I thought she would she would not allow them to claim that their theory of another person killed.
Speaker 2: Well, she not know. She knocked out a couple of those theories today and she allowed a couple to a couple to come in. So it was kind of a son mask ruling.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I just think it's interesting and I think a fresh set of eyes in this case might be one that would be that would be beneficial to call. Well, I'm not going to be practicing in front of hers, so I can say what I want. Yeah, And I believe that, I really believe that. I think that at a certain point in time, a judge becomes so familiar with the case and so you know, involved almost more than they should be, that it sometimes it's time for a judge to say, guess what, I did my best job on this, but I'm going to pass it on to someone else.
Speaker 5: They're not going it can happen. But let me say one thing. You say, a new pair of eyes, I'm talking about twenty four eyes twelve you'rors those eyes of the guys that will decide the laws, guided.
Speaker 2: Guided by a judge. Judge will anyway, Phil, I'll let you run as always. Thanks much. I enjoyed so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Dan, I'll talk to you soon be well.
Speaker 2: All right, you too. When we get back, we're going to talk about social Security. We had a guest schedule. We're going to have that guest tomorrow night. I'll explain it all. And I want to talk to you about this, okay, because I think it's really important and i'd like to kind of tamp down some of the apprehension that people have. I can understand why. That's what we'll talk about on the other side of the nine o'clock News