Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r h Garden Line with Skip Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's crazy Trim.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as Google.
Speaker 4: That so many bodies to supposy Greg not a sun glass gas.
Speaker 5: Sun.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning, Good Sunday morning. I hope this morning finds you well. Looking forward to visiting with you about the things that are of most interest to you regarding your garden. If you have a question you'd like to ask or visit about this morning, well, all you got to do is do this, pick up the phone seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t r H and we will take it from there. If you if your question relates, let's say your question is something I really would need to see a picture about, like I got this weed, and well, we can't describe weeds on the air very well or accurately, so send me a picture. All you have to do is call Alejandro and get an email to send it, and then following sending me the picture, give me a call. That is the easiest way, the fastest, and I guess from what you would be very interested in the most accurate way for me to help you with a question that you might have. I can try to imagine what you're describing. But you know, maybe we get it right, maybe we don't, but if I see a picture, we can we can definitely nail it and get it just exactly right. The folks that you're around Houston are really specialists, you know, when it comes to corroeration, compost, stop dressing, and I render to a lot of people that will send me pictures and the lawn is just not doing well. I mean, it's thin, it's dead in areas. Maybe it's struggling in some areas, and I can see sometimes I can see, you know, where the foot traffic has gone across it, and those paths are compacted, and it's just struggling.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: Compost, top dressing, following following a core aeration is the best way I think to bring along back fast like that. You can water, you can fertilize. Those are all important. But if the soil is compacted, then it's going to struggle period, and so it tends to get compact, especially as we walk on it or as pets go across it. Year round Houston dot Com that's the website, that's the name of the company. Year Round Houston dot Com eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five. They use top quality compost that settles right down into the lawn, nice fine textured compost and basically serving this area inside the beltway around Houston. So if you live in that area and you're interested in giving them a call eight three to two eight eight four fifty three thirty five year round Houston dot Com. I think we're going to start on the phones this morning by going out to Katie and talking to Ralph. Hello, Ralph, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 7: Come skip, good morning.
Speaker 8: How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well?
Speaker 9: Thank you fantastic.
Speaker 7: Hey, I had a question on your schedule. I've been following it.
Speaker 10: The yard works great.
Speaker 7: And I noticed that it says either June July to do another slow release fertilization, even though I just did one, and I'm curious, is that necessary or is it just a suggestion?
Speaker 2: Right, It's just a suggest and it's based on you know, sometimes people using the word slow release. There's some slow releases that are really slow they last a long time, like four months, and then there's some that are not as long in terms of how long they last. So I put that on there just to carry us on forward a little further. Uh, depending on the rates you put it down. And when you got the first one down, you may or may not want to do the second one in June or July.
Speaker 10: The same with the barricade.
Speaker 11: You have it listed another time.
Speaker 10: Correct, Yes, so it works the same, right.
Speaker 2: Well, the bear another word that's list Go.
Speaker 8: Ahead, go ahead, you want, we.
Speaker 2: Got a time. We've got a timing delay here, so it's hard to not talk over each other. So the barricade that's listed in February that prevents that gets a out of all the warm season weed germination. That's what we're trying to do. The one barricade doesn't last forever, and you know when you get about ninety days out from it, you are going to be it's going to be breaking down and not continuing if you used at the proper rate. And so that's where another application can be used. Especially if you got a thin turf and you're struggling with weeds, you're trying to keep them out of there, you can do the second one that is not a requirement. Hopefully by then your lawn is looking good and it's filling in and it's not as needed, but in a lot of lawns, that second application carries it on further into the summer because things like grasper and there's some other warm season weeds that may germinate every month on through the summer.
Speaker 11: Got it, Thank you so much.
Speaker 12: Appreciate it, all right.
Speaker 2: You bet, thanks, thanks for the question. I appreciate that. All right, folks. Nitrofoss has a number of great products out there on the market, and I was just visiting with Den yesterday about some of the stuff that they have going and the nitrofive Super Turf nineteen four ten is like that, that's the elephant in the room for summer. It just really is it. As we were talking about how long does a slow release last, well, this one's going to go about sixteen weeks, about four months. And if you put down a good rate, a recommended rate, the proper rate for it, it will carry you through. Now, something I often say is, are you if you return your clippings, then you get even an extended release, because when you put on fertilizer and grow grass clippings and then chop those up, put them back down in the lawn, don't catch them in a bagger. Well that they begin to release their nutrients in our hot, warm, summer moist environment down there in the turf, and by doing that you get additional recycling of those nutrients. So that also carries you on further. Not everybody bags, and so that's another reason why on the schedules in the middle there, I'll put a second application of the slow release to carry on through summer. So those are all optional, and I realize everybody's in a different situation. But this Night five superturf is an is a very good product designed for our southern turf grass is designed for our soils here and it works. It's the bottom line. You're going to find it in places like plants and things in Brenham. You go out to Baytown, you'll find it at Fisher's Hardware there if you're done in Clute Lake Hardware and Clute on Dixie Drive carries night FoST products as well. I'm going to take a little break here and we will be back with your calls. If you would like to give me a call, it's seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four or seven one three two one two kt r H Well good Sunday morning. Good to have you guys with us this morning. We are looking forward to answering questions all morning and talking to gardeners. That's what we do here online. We try to help you have a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process. That is the important part. Enjoy it, have more fun, right all right? Well all you got to do seven one three two one two ktr h and you will be live here. Don't be afraid to call. I talk to people all the time. By the way, I had a good time yesterday out at the Ace Hardware Store Hardware City Ace on Memorial Drive. We had a lot of folks come through. Good to visit with everybody. Uh and uh. You know, when we're out at those events and we get to visit, a lot of times people will go, yeah, I don't call in because I don't know. I don't want to call in and be on the air and stuff. And it's come on, man, Look, if you've listened to Gardenline for one show, you know I don't bite. I used to say this all the time. I probably ought to say that more again, but I used to say, there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers. So the pressure's on me, not you, okay, And that's true. I mean if you were a brand new rookie gardener, or a rookie at growing some new thing, maybe a garden before, but you never grew catalia orkins before, you know, or whatever you call about, it's okay, that is all right, don't worry about it. We don't treat questions like their stupid questions. We try to help you with them. And so just give me a call because other people will have that question too. There are a lot of people, the vast majority of people listen to Garden Line. I mean vast majority never call in. They just listen because they like the listening here and do stuff. Well, you're welcome to call in. So anyway, that's my two cents worth on that. One of the things I just really enjoy here on guard Line is our feed store sponsors, and it's because I grew up going to feed stores and it's just a great memory. You know, you walk into a feed store and you smell the smell of that feed, and to me, that is just a I don't know, that's like Grandma's chocolate, cookies, bacon, bacon in the kitchen as you're a kid growing up or whatever your old factory sent related memories are. But I love feed stores and League City Feed is that kind of feedstore. It has been around for over forty years now, is built in an Okra patch and the third generation of Thunderbergs are now running the store Wes and Madison. You'll see them there when you go. The number if you only get MC call is two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. They're open Monday through Saturday, nine to six and six o'clock. That way, you can swing by after work and grab some things. Closed on Sundays. But League City Feed is located in League City. It's on Highway three, a few blocks south of Highway ninety six, so it's really easy to get to. As you head south from Highway ninety six, it'll be on the left down Highway three just a little bit. And all of those communities in the greater League City area, this is your hometown feed store. This is old time service where they carry the bags out for you and they have the stuff you're looking for, premium pet foods and the things to control pests in your garden, diseases in your garden, to prevent or control weeds in your garden. You hear me talk about nitrophoss and asmide and microlife and heirloom soils and nilson plant all of that. League City Feed. So you want to have a beautiful garden and a bountiful garden, League City Feeds the place to go, tell them, we said him skipped from Garden Line said high when you stop by there, Uh, the East Madison has a I hope, I hope still. I had a little Dalmatian called Roorschak, and I always thought that was the best name for a dog in the world. I mean, a Dalmation named Roorshak. Remember the Rorshak test where you look at an ink blot and they say what do you see when you see this spot? So you study the dog, I guess, and tell them what do you see? Good name for a Dalmatian? All right? I love dogs. We got a couple of them ourself, and we sure do love those dogs. If you have not been to Plants for all seasons, that's the garden center that's up on Highway two forty nine Tombull Parkway, just north of Luetta. So it's on Tomball Parkway, but it's just about a block north of Luetta on the right hand side there if you're going north. It's an incredible place. If you're a green thumb, well you probably already know about it. And if you have a brown thumb, or you think you do, then go in there and they will help your thumb turn green because you know what turns the thumb green. I tell you all the time on garden Line, it is information. When you educate your thumb, your thumb turns green. That's kind of how that works, if you want to talk brown and green thumbs. This is a full service retail garden center. It's been family owned and operated since nineteen seventy three. These folks are true lawn and garden experts. They are. You can take them pictures, you can take them samples of plants and they'll identify them. They'll points you to the right product if that's what's needed. Even just go into an area and go, hey, look at that patio. I want to put a container on it, and what would be some good plants for a container in this picture to go in this on this patio, and they can do that. They can direct you through it and take the time to walk you through select the plants. They have some great containers there as well. So as they say, get your green on at Plants for All Seasons and they can help you do just that. Plants for All Seasons dot com is the website. The phone number if you'd like to give them a call to eight one three seven six sixteen forty six two eight one three seven six one six four six. You're listening to Gardenline and I'm your host, Skip Richter. We're here to help you have a bountiful and beautiful place and it's not that difficult. You just follow a few simple principles. Think like a plant. How about that? That would be my advice. Think like a plant. So if you were a plant, what would you want? And that's how you have success with plants. So, for example, you are an azalea or you are a tomato plant. Okay, we're going to interview in azalea. What do you want? Well, I like light, but I don't want to be in the blazing sun all day. That's just too much. Okay, we'll provide that. I like moisture consistently, but I don't want to be in a swamp and I cannot get too dry for too long. That's what I want, all right. We can provide that. I'm really from forested regions where the soil is rich and organic y and just wonderful soil, and it's acidic, not highph soil. All right, we can provide you that, and you start doing that for the plant, not asalia is going to be as happy as a clam, as they say. I don't know why they say that. Why would a clam be happy? Anyway, that's how you do it. But the tomato plant, same interview. I want to be in the sun. The more sun, the better. You put me in less than six hours of sun, and you will not get as much production from me. Okay, we'll provide that, and on and on down the line. That's how you have successive plants. What does a plant want? Give them that? And as we were saying about the thumbs, the more you know what a plant wants and the more you provide it, the more people walk on around and go, well, you must have a green thumb. Well I have an informed thumb. Let's head out to the phones. We're gonna go all the way up to Willis Texas and talk to Ann. Hello, Anne, how are you today? Good?
Speaker 11: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well? Thank you?
Speaker 11: Good?
Speaker 12: Yellow circles on my lawn. I'm assuming that's fungus.
Speaker 6: Could be.
Speaker 2: It could be, well, we normally the normally is that brown patch that causes the yellow circles. It is primarily a cooler season disease, but there is a cousin of it, arise ac tonia that can attack in the warm summertime too.
Speaker 12: Okay, if do I need a fungus side.
Speaker 13: To get rid of it?
Speaker 2: Yes, probably not. Avoid over doing the nitrogen and avoid you adding water too frequently. Now you can't control the rain, but if you were to water your lawn every other day, you're going to promote that disease.
Speaker 13: Okay.
Speaker 12: So a lot of the the grass is it's new, it's it's been down maybe a month and a half so, and then of course we were watering because it was new, and then we had all this rain and now it's not very happy.
Speaker 2: When did you first notice the yellowing?
Speaker 12: When we had that first time we had a lot of rain. I think we had like in two days, we had like six inches.
Speaker 14: It was a lot.
Speaker 12: Okay, Okay, that's when I first started noticing it.
Speaker 2: Based on what I'm hearing, and of course I'm not seeing it, but based on what I'm hearing, I think that you're gonna be okay, just you know, let let's let it warm up and dry out a little bit, and I think it's going to be all right. If I saw a picture, I might see something else that's not occurring to me as we talk about it. But yeah, that that would be That would be my suggestion to you.
Speaker 12: Okay, all right, okay, sounds good.
Speaker 2: And another thing you might do is, uh, have you ever been to Growers Outlet. They're on Highway seventy five just south of Wales. Okay, well good, Yeah, you might take them a picture in there because they're very knowledgeable and visit with them and see see see what they see. They do carry some products as well, and so you know that that may be another backup on it. But you always need another used to go in there, because the place is great.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well I went in there. I actually went in there yesterday and I was looking at the fungus side and I was reading the back of the bag and it was talking about using it as a preventative, and I thought, well, yeah, well okay, but.
Speaker 2: In general that that's true of fundericides in general. Like when you get powdery mildew all over a leaf of a rosebush or whatever you have, it's a little late to spray and do much about it. Very few fundicides have curative properties, but they protect and prevent. And so with your lawn, if it were going to keep getting worse, you go ahead and do it anyway, even though you have a little bit of it, in order to prevent it from getting worse. That that's kind of how fungicides work. So it's a judgment call as to whether you want to treat it or not. And I can't see it, so it's hard for me to give that. But that's why I would suggest you go talk to them too, because you can take them a picture right there. I believe I lost I lost my collar there, all right. Well anyway, yeah, Growers Outlet for any of you up there around the lake area around certainly Conroe and Willis and New Waverley and that whole region up there, even the Woodlands Grows Outlet. You got to go check it out. It's Growers Outlet in Willis, Dot com Growers Outlet and Willis dot Com. It's on Hyset Highway seventy five south of Willis, north of Conrad, Okay. And you can go online to that website Growers Outlet and Willis dot com and you can see they list their availability on the web and they put the prices as well on the web, which is very unusual for a company to do that. But when you go in, you're going to see a lot of cool things. It's a full service garden center. Well, it looks like we're getting pretty close here to another little break in the action. As someone was asking me about Piercescapes of it in, I just wanted to comment about them. Piercecapes does anything you need done pretty much around the landscape, whether it's a design from the beginning from the ground up, whether it's some renovations, if the irrigation needs work, if you want lighting, if you need drainage, and you should know it by now after the rain we have Go to their website Puerscapes dot com and see their work and you will be sold on it as I was. Or call them two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. I'm gonna take a break and we'll be right back. All right, there we go. There used to be a time before, probably almost all of our time listening to this when singing cowboys little things. Some of you may remember that. I remember it just as watching all movies that was in the day where you knew who to shoot at out in the West because they either wore a black or a white hat. If the guy on the other side of the big rock across the canyon had on a black hat and was shooting at you, that man, he was a bad guy. Oh boy, Hello, Genatry, Hey, welcome back to garden Line. And we do play a mix of music here. I know it's a gardening show, but I like to have some fun. I enjoy music. I enjoy a variety of things. We got, we got radio shows you can listen to that just play all the modern music all the time. But hey, let's mix it up a little bit. That's what we're doing, speaking and mixing it up a little bit. How about mixing it up with one of your calls seven one three two on two K t r H. What do you want to talk about? Real happy, We're happy to visit about all kinds of things related to plants. Uh, microlife fertilizers. You hear me talk about them all the time. You see them everywhere you go. I mean feed stores, garden centers, good quality mom and pop garden centers, and certainly Ace hardware stores, a Southwest fertilizer. You get the idea there everywhere. Well, micro Grow Liquid AF is a product for microlife. And I don't talk about this a lot, but I'm gonna right now and I want you to know about this. It is a product that has eight different beneficial microbes that dominate the soil situation and protect your plants. Did you know you know, people talk about microbes or bacteria, and you think, well with people when they say, well you got bacteria, that's like, oh that's a bad thing, right, that's a disease or whatever. Well, bacteria can cause plant disease. But there are a lot of bacteria that are out there preventing plant disease. That's why the bad guys don't run wild. We're talking about the bacteria now that wear the white hats, okay, strapped to mices and Trachiderma and Bacillus. There's a lot of good forms of all of those. I was just looking at a product this morning that actually it's a fungicide and it has basically the ingredient is Bacillus subtless and that's one of the things that you find in micro grow liquid. If there's a pile of research a mile high about the benefits of these bacteria and fighting disease, it's fighting disease naturally the way nature does. How does nature deal with certain diseases. Well, it has other microbes that defeat them or out out compete them on the plant's surface, or have other ways that they prevent problems. Well, that's exactly now microgrow liquid AF. We're not going to call it a fungicide. What it basically is, though, is it's a pack of eight different quality bacteria that you need to have in your soils, and you need to have active and by doing that you are tilting that you are tilting the playing field, if you will, in favor of the good bacteria that protect your plants. Micro grow liquid AF all right, now, that is a kind of a purplish, violent colored label. I gotta somebody needs to teach me about colors, because I'm not real good at describing colors. My wife finally taught me what Wedgewood Blue was in Dusty Rose. It took a long time though. Anyway, Violet, I'm gonna call it violet. Micro grow liquid afs by the gallon, it's by the court, and it works. And basically what you're doing is you're taking the bacteria that wear the white hats and putting them in the soil on the plant, so the bacteria that were the black hats going back to gene autry here so that they don't have the upper hand. That makes sense, all right, I hope it does. I hope it does. It is true though, and boy are we ever learning a lot about how to deal with problems and plants by just taking a minute and looking at what nature does about it and going along with those those systems. It's through microlife. You're listening to garden Line. The phone number is seven one three two one two kt r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. And you were here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape and be happy to do just that. If you haven't been out to Kingwood Garden Center and Warren Southern Gardens, they're in Kingwood, and I don't know how you guys in Kingwood managed to get both of these gardens. But that's not fair because you got two of them. They're they're just excellent places to go visit Warrens Southern Gardens on North Park Drive and Kingwood Garden Center on Stone Hollow, and each has its own I'll say personality if you will. They're they're not cookie cutters of each other, but they're both well worth going to Kingwood Garden Center. The gift shop there, first of all, is just amazing. You ought to go see it. It's really cool for the gardener and even the non gardener on your list. They have a lot of nice things. You know how it is with people, It's like, what do you get somebody that has everything, Well, you go to Kingwoo Garden Center gift shop and find something they definitely don't have because they got plenty of that there. Warrens has got a lot of good deals going on right now. First of all, the color at Warren's is amazing. I was out there not too long ago, and it just you just stop and just turn on three hundred and sixty degrees around and everywhere you look there are lush, beautiful plants right now they've got their vinkas for twenty percent off. Vinca also called Madagascar periwinkle. I know that you're kind of going, what's that. Well, that's the name I prefer for Vinca. But anyway, we got other plants named Vinca too. But it's the flowers typically red and white and pink and kind of a here we go again, maybe kind of a hot pink kind of color that just go through summer like crazy. It's part of their Sinko to Mayo sale. It's twenty percent off the vinkas. You can get them, you know, in gallum pots, four inch pots, hanging baskets. They do so well and it never gets too hot for venka. They are happy colors, beautiful color in the summertime. So go by there and check them out. And why are you there? Look at all the other wonderful stuff they have, because they do have a lot.
Speaker 13: I was.
Speaker 2: I was amazed. It's just how beautiful it was when I was out there. Really cool. Alrighty Well, oh, by the way, when when you're out there, check out the supply of all the stuff you need to go with your plants. I always say brown stuff before green stuff. And you can do them both at the same time. When you go buy Warren Southern Gardens Kingwood Garden Center, they got Microlife products, they got Nitrovost products, Nelson Turf Star, they got products from Nelson Plant Food. In the jars they have the heirloom soils bags there all kinds of airloom soils and airloom Soluce has every kind of product you can imagine for every kind of plant you can imagine, and it's all quality stuff and you can pick it all up there at the same time. And this is important. If you like to buy Microlife or Nelson Plant Food by the jar, the big screw top lid jars, the clear jars, you can take the empty jars back in there and you can get them filled at either Warren Southern Gardens or Kingwood Garden Center, either one. You can get them filled right there. So I would recommend that you do that. It's very economical not throwing plastic away in the environment, and it's just simple. I think we ought to have more things that we do by just refilling them instead of buying a new package. I would do it. I don't know, maybe some people wouldn't, but I sure would I think it's a good idea in my landscape. This past week, I've been working on planting, getting a lot of stuff in the ground that I've been trying to get planted for a long time. I did some planting of some ginger type plants. The gingers. I love ginger. I just think it's so tropical, and I like the white butterfly, the hedicium and some of the other butterflies. I planted two different butterfly gingers near the back porch where I can enjoy the fragrance of them coming out, and that just makes me happy to get those things going. So anyway, and if you're going to do any planting, also did some containers. Potted up a lime tree for a container. When you're doing a container, you want to get a good quality soil that drains well, and an example of that would be jungle Land distributed by nitrofoss. Jungle Land is basically based on a blended Canadian blonde peat with four different sources of aged organic matter and micro rise of fungi. Microasa fungi connect to the roots of plants and they make those roots more efficient and more effective, and they protect the roots in different ways too, so you can't go wrong using the outdoor jungle land the flour and vegetable planting soil, or using the indoor jungle land, the one called water saving potting soil. Either way, it's a good way to go. You're going to find nitrofoss products in many places like down in Angleton. You'll go to Lake Hardware in Angleton of Alasco. If you're an Alvin Stanton shopping Center, or North Taylor, or maybe the clear Lake area M and D Clear Lake, the Bay Area Boulevard, all places that carry nitrofos products. Time for me to take a little break here. We'll be back with your questions if you'd like to be first up down now seven one three two one two KTRH. Hey, welcome back to garden Line, Volks, little Steve Miller band. I don't know if you've ever followed Steve Miller, but I'm telling you that band has lasted through the years. Definitely not a one shot wonder, but the very opposite of it, in a wide variety music as well. You're listening to garden Line and we are here to help you with your gardening endeavors. If you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four or KTRH if you like dialing by letters, easier to remember that way. If you've got some furniture outside and it's not so good shape, you know, the worse for the wear. As they say that the weather is taking its toll, you need to know about Houston powder coders. If it's metal furniture, it could be wrought iron, cast iron, aluminum, patio furniture, whatever kind of metal. They can coat it and they coat it with whatever color you want. And I really mean that. And I talked about me being color challenge. They have over one hundred colors that could need I could probably name five, right, that's me. But anyway, they have any color you want, really, and you haven't come in and take care of it. What they do is they come pick it up and they deliver it. If you're in the Houston area. Now, if you're further out, you can bring it in to them. But what they'll do is they'll do a powder coat on it, which is way better than you trying to paint the stuff. I mean, it looks like new because they don't just put a coating on the metal. I mean, if you've got rusty hardware, you know, nuts and bolts, they put stainless steel hardware back on it. If you've got vinyl straps and sling fabric and things, depending on the kind of chair or whatever piece of furniture it is, they replace that. If you you know the plastic feed and the end caps on some of the tubular metal furniture, they replace that. They make it right. It needs a little weld here and there to kind of restrengthen they can do it. It's brand new when they get through. Essentially, and this isn't just furniture you sit on tables and chairs and things. This would be artistic things that go on the wall you know of your house, or on a fence or something. You got some wrought iron kind of an an artistic kind of piece. If you have a rail or you know, a rail around a patio or something, or some stairs. If you've got a light pole out in the in the yard that you know is metal. If it's a metal, they can do it. Doesn't matter what it is. They can do it. They got the equipment. Here's the thing. Take a picture of it and just find out. Take a picture send it to sales at Houstoncoders dot com. Sales at houstoncoders dot com. They'll give you a quick quote and you can go on their social media accounts and see examples of their work. The website worth seeing too, Houston Powdercoders dot com. Houston Powdercoders dot com two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight. They're up in North Houston, North sut of Houston. Knew the intersection about Way eight and Hardy Toll Road, so it's easy to get to them. But I'm telling you, the work is amazing. You know. Every time I look at the stuff they've done, and this is tongue in cheek, but it's also I kind of really mean it. It's like I want to go find some old furniture so I can have it powder coated because it looks so good. They, you know, something that somebody else would be going like, yeah, let's throw this away. This is well, take it to Euston Powder Court to see what they can do with it. Really nice stuff. Anyway, I was talking to one of my neighbors who's doing a little bit of fertilized getting ready to do a little bit of fertilizing here for summer, and we're talking about some different products and things, and we're talking about the schedule of the different kinds of product you can put down in the sense of an immediate release or a slow release or whatever. And we discussed that they had tried the Sweet Green and really liked They just said it, I mean, everything just greened up so pretty, and of course it does. Sweet Green is an organic type fertilizer that has eleven percent nitrogen, which is a high nitrogen content, so you use a little bit less of it. And because you're always putting down about a pound of nitrogen actual nitrogen when you fertilize your lawnch so you get a concentrated fertilizer, you use less, you get a less concentrated you use more. That's just how that works. And anyway, the Sweet Green dissolves away with the moisture and it releases the compounds that have nitrogen, and a bacteria grab onto it. Bacteria love sugary substances. That's why organic gardeners have used molasses for years. They know the benefits of that. Well, they get a hold of it. They go crazy. They release the nitrogen to your plants, and the rest is all history. As I say, in other words, your place looks good, and you're going to find Sweet Green and other nitrofoss products all over town. You go down to the Sagemont area, M and D. Beamer on Beamer is going to have it. You go to Mount Bellevue Fisher Hardware on FM thirty one eighty. You head up to Dan Defeed and Tomball on twenty nine to twenty. You're going to find nitro fosh products, including this Sweet Green works really well. I wanted to visit a little bit about selecting sites for plants. And the reason I bring this up is I've got a yard that is more shade than sun, which when I'm sitting out in the yard, I like that. But so many of the plants I want to grow needs sun. It takes sun to grow fruit, a lot of sun. It doesn't take a lot of sun to grow leaves. Some it needs sun. But fruit, yes, whether it's a peach or a tomato, it takes a lot of sun. It takes sun to grow flowers, and some things like hibiscus, they really need a lot of sun to do well. Most salvias need quite a bit of sun to do well, and in order for that to happen, you got to have a spot that gets I would like to see six hours of sun, and I've got a lot of spots that don't quite get that. So what do you do well other than cut down a tree, which ain't going to happen. Because we love our trees. Here, we find the sunniest spot that we can. And so I've got also the option of putting some fruit in that's a little more tolerant of shade. Doesn't want to be in shade, but it can put up with some Blueberries can take a little more shade. They do great. And if you're a blueberry grower, you better put it in full sun if you want to make money on it. But if you're homegrower and you got some bright shade, they'll do better, but better than like a peach tree or something would in the same spot. Big trees will put up with some bright shade as well, And sometimes you just have to compromise and do the best you can. And that's kind of where we are right now. So I'm planning this back bed that goes all way across the back of my property and some areas. What I did is, and I suggest you consider this. I went out and I took pictures of the bed almost every hour from the morning through the afternoon. So it took me about four days to do it because I would forget, so I'd have to set a time er, oh tomorrow at nine am, and I take a picture two pm or whatever. And I look at all those pictures, and I see the pattern of the sun, and I can say that spot right there is the sunniest spot in that whole row. And over here that is it almost never gets sun over there. And you pick your plants accordingly to fit those areas rather than just go out and plant it because you like that spot right there. You got to make the plants happy. Remember the thing about having a green thumb is you just know what a plant wants. And you know this stuff a lot. You know, you know a lot of these things. So I'm me telling you, but that is a very important concept to keep in mind. You make the plants happy, the plants will make you happy. Okay, all right, I'm I'm a post that our social media here. Let's head out to Clear Lake Texas, and we're going to talk to Sarah. Hello, Sarah, welcome to Guardenline morning.
Speaker 14: Skip.
Speaker 15: You were just talking about venka and I can take the heat and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I buy it every year.
Speaker 15: I've bought it from home depot, I've bought it from mass nursery. I've bought it everywhere. Every year I buy it, I plant it. It's wonderful, and then it just starts to wilt. Why it doesn't to me every single year?
Speaker 4: What am I doing wrong?
Speaker 15: I've got good dirt, all right, good part.
Speaker 2: I think, Okay, my best guess, and I'm about ninere on this one. Unless you're just it's going totally water logged. But I doubt that. I think it's a disease called aerial phytoptha blight, and there's no springing for that. What you need to do is you need to get a vinka that's been bred to be real resistent. Get all that old venca out of there, because it stays persistent in the soil in that bed for a good while. So either you're going to need to transition the bed to other types of worm seasoned flowers that don't get that, or you buy a type of a vinca called Cora co o r a. It's a series. There's trailing coras, there's upright coras, but the Cora vinca series is resistant to fight top there unless you've developed a a type in your in your beds that even cora gets attacked by. But that that's the way to keep getting growing vincas. To use the cora or so And if it's.
Speaker 15: In a pot, then I need to empty out the pot, sterilize the pot and start over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, empty the soil. You can use that soil for something else, not if I top their vecas the primary thing that it attacks. So I mean you can grow you know, marigols or something else in that soil, but clean it out real good and put some press soil in it and get some cor inca and you should be good.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, very good.
Speaker 15: Thanks for help.
Speaker 2: All righty Sarah, thanks for the call. Appreciate that, folks. I'll be right back after the news. Hey, good morning, good Sunday morning. Welcome to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Rictor, and we're here to help you have success in your garden. That's what we that's what we're all about. Oh you got to just give us a call. Seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t r H. The folks at Nelson Plant Food have a number of different quality products available in jars. They're clear plastic jars, the big fat wide lid, and there's the color Star line, their most famous line. Been around for a long time. I'll leave over forty years now, sold all over not just Texas, but the whole country. Really, it's an amazing product and it works anything with color that you're going to grow. You're gonna grow with annual flowers or any kind of plant like that, perennials, shrubs and trees and other things. You can use it on a lot of different things. It's got fast acting effects, so it immediately gives you that, but it also has slow release, so it's going to feed for about three to four months as well. It's not just a one and done. Some organic nutrient sources that really enrich the soil. That's the color Star plus. Then there's the nutri Star line, which is jars for specific kinds of plants. There's a nutri Star for vegetables, there's one for hibiscus and flowering tropicals for example, and that would be a good one for this season right now. If you enjoy hibiscus, aboon and villias and flowering tropicals, plumerias. There's nutra star for all of those products or all of those plants, and you can find it. It's all over the place. It's easy to find Nelson by the jar and there are about a dozen places around town where you can take your jars in when you're emptying them and refill them. It's a little more economical and it avoids putting that plastic in the environment. Just makes good sense, which makes sense that Nelson would provide something like that. Let's dad out here to the phones. We are going to go to Bill and Kingwood. Hey, Bill, welcome to garden Line. Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 14: I sent in some pictures yesterday, one of which is a pepper plant. I suspect that it might have bacterial leaf spot disease. If do you have your head the opportunity to look at that picture in the one of the tomato I.
Speaker 2: Have, the pepper has bactrial leaf spot on it, a really significant case of it. So for that disease, the best control, well, first of all, that plant hardly has a leaf without vactril leaf spot on it, and so the spots that it has are not going to get better. It would be you know, I would tell you pick all the leaves off that have spots on them, but you basically would be picking all the leaves off. But it splashes every time it rains, and it is a very difficult disease to manage. So if it were mine, as shocking as this is, I'd pick every leaf off that I see it on, including the leaves on the ground, because it's difficult. It even comes in by seeds. It may have been on the seed that were planted to make this plant, but anyway, then get a copper spray something with copper and get menko zeb Bone eye makes a type of men kazeb and the colination of those two m A n co zeb zs and zebra menkseebb by bon eye, and it's being bon eyed.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 2: Those Their products are sold in a lot of different places. If you have trouble finding any of those, you can email me and I can help you find one. But menka is that by bonnight ought to be pretty pretty widely available in good garden centers. For example, I would check Kingwood Garden Center or the Warren Seven Gardens out there. There's also an ACE hardware store out there in that area. That would be another good place to check. So anywhere, in fact, you have several aces next year just makes you sure you're using good fresh seed. I would plant the peppers in another location in your garden beds. Try to avoid that exact spot because there are any kind of remnants it can be around, and then when we get splashy, rainy weather, it just goes everywhere. So anyway, after you do your spraying, if you see any leaves with spots, hopefully new leaves will be coming out. You want to spray those, make sure they're they're coated with the spray to protect them, and then pick off any other leaves that you see, and that's going to get the best we can try to get those. I believe jalapenos to a ripe state. Okay, second is what about so.
Speaker 14: Try to try to get rid of the leaves and try to spray everything or other plants like tomatoes or whatever, are they affected also with the same type of.
Speaker 2: Disease tomatoes can they do? Tomatoes have a bacterial leaf spot? I don't know if it's exactly the same strain. Is the one that attacks peppers?
Speaker 14: Are not?
Speaker 2: Uh so maybe yes, maybe no? On those they do get this disease. But diseases have strains that attack certain kinds of plants. The powdery mildew that attacks roses is not the powdery mildew that attacks crape myrtles, for example. Okay, the same name, same disease, but different strain. All right, So the tomato, that's a caterpillar that chewed that hole in it. If you got a lot of them, it's probably worth putting out a spray of a BT about every I don't know, maybe seven days on the plants to get good coverage on it. They eat it, they get sick, they die. That's the safest, lowest talks option for controlling the categoris out there. But that that's a caterpillar. It could be a tomato fruit worm is a likely one, but there are others that could do that.
Speaker 14: Okay, okay, all right, yes, sir, thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Uh you bet you, thanks thanks for your call. I appreciate that. Let's see here, oh, you know, talking about places to get things Southwest Fertilizer. You know some of these products that I come up with. It's like, yeah, I don't see that in many places around town, but you're always going to see it in Southwest Fertilizer. It's just because they carry everything. They don't have it, you don't need it. That's the way I like to put it. They're on the corner of bisin Nutt and Renwick. I've been around since nineteen fifty five, seventy years. Seventy years that place has been in business, and there's a reason for that. When you go by, you'll know those of you came out to see me. When I was at Southwest Fertilizer, I comments about, you know this place has everything. Well, yes it does, tools and products and fertilized. I mean, everything you need it's there, including good advice. You bring a sample or a photo in and they can help you. You know, if you'd haul this pepper with bactrail spot on the leaves in, they would have looked at it and they'd have told you what to put on it. Southwest Fertilizer dot Com seven to one three six sixty six one seven four four seven one three six six six one seven four four. I'm gonna take a break. When we come back, Dwayne and Katie and John and Webster be our first two up. All right, welcome back to your guard Line. I'm your host, Skip Rickord. Good to have you with us. I know we got those people out there that are lurking on the outsides, on the edge. Don't want to call in. That's okay. You're welcome too. Glad you're listening this morning. I hope you're having a good Sunday morning. Feel free to call in if you like. It's like what the water's worms, take your toe in the water. It's good. Come on, let's do this. Let's head out to Katie. First thing here, we're going to go talk to Duane. Hello, Dwayne, and welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 1: Morning Strip. Send you an email with some pistures of my burrow tree. It's got some type of a larva in it. Not sure exactly what it is. I wonder if you could tell me what that is and if something to be concerned about or not.
Speaker 2: Okay, I did get your photos out there, and what that is. It's a like a leaf miner. A little insect feeds underneath the top surface of the leaf, and when it does that, it's protected by that cuticle that the top surface of the leaf, and most beneficials can't get to it. There are a few wasps that can lay in egg through that cuticle and get it. But it's a little it's a little caterpillar like insect that's down there. Actually maybe a fly larva in this case, I can't tell exactly, but that is a extremely minor issue for the tree. That tree produces so much leaf area, and your trees are in such good health, beautiful leaves that I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's you know, it's just a little bit of a cosmetic freckle. That's a mount on those trees, so don't worry about it. But that's what it is. Kind of interesting, a little creature. And did you notice them late when you looked at the spots, could you see the little larva inside there?
Speaker 1: Well, it's look at what they maaked eye. You can't if you see it on the picture, you can see it in there. But what I noticed there was war But when I squeezed the area, you could actually see it crush. Yeah, whatever it is in there.
Speaker 2: At some point that larva is going to drop out. It's going to eat its way out of there, or it may pupate in that spot and then come out. But yeah, it's a yeah. It's one of the hundreds of thousands of insects out there that really, really, we just don't even need to think about it. It's one of the less concerning leaf miners on the planet.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, well, thank you, sir, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You have a good day, Yes, sir, you as well, Thank you. I appreciate your call. Nelson Water Gardens, Nelson Nursery and water Gardens out there in Katie is a wonderful place to visit. They have so their selection of plants is outstanding. I know they're known for the water gardens. They're world famous for the water gardens because of the contribution they've made to that industry. For example, in the water gardens, they invented the disappearing fountain, you know, the big beautiful urn ceramic urn where the water's coming over the sides and recirculating. They designed that, and if you want to do one, they can set one up for you, or they can just see the pieces of barts and tell you how to put it together. And go home do it yourself if you want to do that. And that is true of a lot of things there. You know, the folks know what they're talking about, but don't. I want to get past the water garden just for a minute here and talk about the nursery the garden center. They have a wonderful garden center full of all kinds of flowers. First of all, when you walk in the building, right up front, you will see some of the prettiest little house plants you've ever seen, and really not some common houseplants, but some very uncommon, very uncommon houseplants that are there in beautiful shape. I mean, you could walk right out of there with a plant and give it as a gift. Drive somewhere and give it as a gift. It's ready to go. It's beautiful. You go out in the back, you see flowers, You see annuals and perennials, you see herbs and vegetables and just all kinds of bedding plants. You got shrubs, you got trees, you got fruit. It just if it oh in watercourse water plants as well. It's a great place to visit. Nelson Water Garden and Nursery is a destination. You need to take your friends and y'all need to just sit out there and visit and enjoy the south of Water. It'll make you want to do a water feature at your house there on Katie Fort Ben Road, just north of it Katie Freeway out in Katie. Nelson Watergardens dot com. That's the website, Nelsonwatergardens dot com. Let's head down to Webster now and we're going to visit with John. Hello, John, welcome to garden Line morning.
Speaker 8: Skip. Hey.
Speaker 3: I've got a bell pepper plants potted in a bucket, and one morning I went out there and noticed.
Speaker 10: A little trail on the leaf.
Speaker 14: So I Google lends it and said it was leafminers.
Speaker 1: So they said one of the treatment was to take off the leaves.
Speaker 13: So I've just yanked off those leaves.
Speaker 8: I don't see anymore on the leaves, but the plant is growing, it's got new leaves on it.
Speaker 1: The flowers they flower, but then they turn brown and fall off.
Speaker 2: I've got no peppers, okay. Well, the flowers falling off in the leaf minor are two different, unrelated things. The flowers falling off, they're either not getting pollinated or possibly some little insect is doing damage to them to causing them to a bort. I think the second it would require it would be a very tiny insect feeding in the flower or something that's snipping off the flowers, and that one. You know, I hate to send you out there to nuke your peppers every other day trying to kill anything that might show up, because a lot of things that show up you don't want to kill. I think I would. I would give them a little time, and I think they'll start setting better. You should have some pollinator activity around them. If you're not seeing any bees at all coming around, that might be a concern and you can't change that, and you can't go out and recruit bee, but that would be helpful if you had an increase in the pollinator activity. A lot of times I'll see peppers do some aboarding and then they'll start setting on their own. And so I think I'd be patient on this one and not jump to spray in chances are that most of the time it seems to fix itself. Now, the other thing is the leaf miner, and the leaf miner does such minor damage that it just isn't worth worrying about it really isn't the a little bit of a trail that they make. You know, they start off if you look real carefully, one into the trail is like a little thread, and then it gets bigger as it goes through the leaf. That's because the little critter eating eating that tunnel is getting eating and getting bigger, and so the critter is always at the big end of the tunnel. They drop out, they go to the soil, pup eate and fly back again. But the amount of solar panel that that insect imaged is so minor. The leaf is still producing a lot of carbohydrates to fuel the plant, and it's just not worth treating for those leaf miners. I've seen some pretty bad cases, but it's rare. Usually it's a little cosmetic and not costing you any pepper production.
Speaker 10: Okay, well, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Have a good day, all right, John, Thanks for the call. Appreciate that I certainly do. Yesterday I was at Ace Hardware that's called the Hardware City on Memorial Drive. We had a good time. A lot of folks came in appreciate, but I'm in the folks that you know hosted us and brought us in there every time I go into an ACE, I'm just amazed. I mean, you know, we were walking around, I was, I was showing customers, you know, well, here's this product, or here's our product or whatnot, even some tools and things that are special. They just have an excellent selection. If you want a beautiful yard, if you want a bow, a full landscape and garden. Ace is a place they've got the products. They are loaded up on. All the fertilizers. You hear me talk about all these fertilizers all the time for your lawn. Well, ACE has got them, and a good selection of things to manage insects and diseases and pests. And they have got a sale going on with barbecue equipment right now and a select types of barbeque pits, select brands and things, and it is time for that. If you unless you just got a new barbecue pit recently, you need to go check out some of the brands at ACE Hardware. I mean at ACE you're going to find things like Big Green Egg. You're going to find trigger grills, the pellet grills for example. You're gonna find Weber and other brands as well, many other great brands there, and equipment to turn that outdoor living space into something special. You know, you get you a nice little porch or patio or an area underneath the big beautiful spreading tree for shade. We do love our shade around here once we get to May, especially all the way to at October. But Ace will turn that outdoor living area into something special. Now, there are Ace Hardware stores all over. You can go to Ace Hardware Texas dot com. Ace Hardware Texas dot com. That's the website and you can find Ace Hardware stores. I don't care where you live. If you are over and Humble, we've got a K and m Ace over there. You know. If you're up in Porter, you got Jnr's Ace up there. If you are a Spring Cyprus, there is Spring Ace. And if you are in League City, Kilgore Ace. And if you are on Highway six North, there's Hamilton Ace. You know, you go to the Katie area, you got Plantation Ace Hardware. Just these are just examples. You've got a lot more what I'm saying, But I'm just saying that there's Ace Hardware's everywhere. And if you go to Ace Hardware Texas dot com you can find your local Ace Hardware store and go check it out. They have wonderful gifts for indoors as well at Ace Hardware. It's always fun to visit. I do enjoy that you're listening to garden Line. If you got some gardening questions that we could help you with, feel free to give me a call. All you have to do is call seven to one three two one two katrh or if you like numbers, fifty eight seventy four, fifty eight seventy four. I was checking my mosquito buckets. I'm kind of obsessing over these mosquito buckets. I check them all the time to see, you know, if they got larv in them, they got larv in them. Normally you walk out in your landscape and you see mosquito wrigglers, larva, you know, wiggling around in water, and it's like, I got a problem, gotta pour out that water. And well not when you got a mosquito bucket. Mosquito buckets something you get from Pest to Brothers. Pest Brothers is a complete pest control service that covers the greater Houston area from the Woodlands all the way down to Texas City, you know, from out West and Katie all the way across to Baytown and they do the whole thing. Tomato, tomatoes, termites, termites. They've got some incredible state of the art products for termites. They pest Brothers. No hast knows how to do things that are effective, that really work, but how to do them in the safest manner and how to get the longest term results without the worries. And they have a new termite system that's like a ten year system and it's just a little trench they dig around the base of the base of the house. Ask them about it. The pestbros dot com b r O s thepestbros dot com two eight one two o six forty six seventy two eight one two o six forty six seventy Why are you there saying? What is this mosquito bucket that kick skip keeps rambling about. Well, they'll tell you about it, but I'll tell you this. When a mosquito comes to that bucket, not only is that mosquito history, the larvae lays in the buck That's why I'm excited to see lore their history, and that mosquito is going to carry mosquito controlled things to other spots. You didn't treat you, don't. You have the nuclear yard with a fogger. All these little spots that we got now because of the rain, we had those spots in my yard and my neighbor's yard. By the way, my mosquitos are making sure all those little water spots mosquitos aren't gonna be raised in them as well. Pretty cool system, Pretty cool system. Uh yeah. I was looking at some of the roses at RCW the other day when I was there, and r CW is just a there's just a one stop shop for roses. I mean, all the rosarians in used to know about it. You know, what's six pages I think of roses that they get in in February and they still have roses. There lots of good roses in that place. When you go to RCW. Now it's heating up and you still plant roses. By the way, it's still good to plant. They've got shrubs and trees and all kinds of things. But those hot weather flowers, you know, the hibiscus, they have wonderful line. They have perennial hibiscus, and they've got the tropical types that Cajun series that I like so much. We were talking earlier about Madagascar periwinkle also called vinka. They've got that as well, and other things that thrive in the heat. And they got good advice and good products to go with it. RCW Nursery is where Beltway eight and Highway two forty nine Tombo Parkway come together. I'll be right back, all right. How many of you remember the Archies? So when I was a kid, there was a cereal called super sugar cress, super Sugarcoats, I believe that was what it was called, something like that anyway, And at one time they actually printed into the back of the box a record, a grooved record. Yeah, and you cut out the cardboard record from the back of the box, and this song, triv Sure was the one that they played by the Archies. Isn't that crazy? All right? Well some of you are going, what's a record player? All right? Brad in Spring, welcome to garden Line. It is good to have you with us.
Speaker 9: What's really crazy is that I remember that box of cereal and that record.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I wonder who would remember that. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I had that?
Speaker 9: And uh yeah, thanks? Now all right, now we're feeling Now we're feeling extra old this morning. No, no, no, I was.
Speaker 2: Nowhere around when they signed the Magna Carta. I'm not old at all. Go ahead, how can we help you tonight?
Speaker 9: Good morning. I have a southern facing yard.
Speaker 4: And I'm trying to Uh.
Speaker 9: I've planted some lantana.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 9: I wanted to see if you had any solid tips and tricks to uh to help that lantana get well established and h and fuller.
Speaker 2: I just put it in a.
Speaker 9: Week and a half, two weeks ago, and I'm a little behind the little behind the curve. So I'd like to see if there's something I can do to drop kick that and get it get it going a little faster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would get some Medina has to grow. It's a six twelve six plant food. It's got an extra boost of phosphorus, which is helpful for root development. UH and uh. It mixes in water. You're not going to burn the plants with it. It's not salt based. Medina has to grow six twelve six uh and put in a watering can and drench those plants in and then about a week later, do it again. A week later, do it again, and those those three applications give it the best chance. The number one thing those plants that your house bread need to do is get a root system out there. You know, with that they were in that little confined pot, and now we need a root system that takes off and when it does, the top growth will follow and it can happen. And so that I would do that. They need lots of sunlight. So if they're in quite a bit of shade, they're not going to perform as well. And so the good sunlight, you know, other than cutting down a tree, where they are is where they are, and so I would think those two tips would be good. You might watch them. There's a few little pests that will suck the juice out of lentana leaves. You see these little tiny, little white tan speckles all through the leaf. That's indication that that's happening. You get enough of those, and it takes away some of the plant's ability to capture sunlight and support good growth. So if you start to see that, you might might need to do a treatment for that.
Speaker 4: What what are we what are we treating those with?
Speaker 2: Well, A perrethern type insecticide would be the organic end of it. A synthetic perrethroid would be the synthetic end of it, and both are available. You know, you go to your whatever garden centers or the ACE hardware stores and in places like that, they're going to have those kind of products. Most of the time you will not need to spray Lantanna. I'm just saying that something to watch for that can happen. Mainly, it's get them a good boost and get them going.
Speaker 9: Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Enjoyed that. Thanks Brad. Appreciate your Appreciate your call very much. Someone who was asking me when I was at Hardware City ACE which is on Memorial Drive in Houston yesterday about azamite, and they were saying, Okay, explain this to me. It's like, you know, what is it? Is it a fertilizer. Well, in a sense, yes that it has nutrients, but it's not like your lawn fertilizer. It's not like the fertilizers with the three numbers on the bag. You know, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium. Those are needed in large amounts. We put them out to make the plant grow and thrive and get big. Azonite is a trace mineral supplement. It is essential that plants have trace minerals, but they only need a little that's why they're called trace. Are also called micro nutrients because they're just needed and micro amounts, but they're essential and so you can do aszmite. They asked me the question, well, when do you do asmite? Well, anytime of the year. Most people do it when they fertilize, because you're already fertilizing. You got the spreader out there, you just finish your fertilizing, come back, change the setting because asmite is a very small particle and you just need a little bit and then you put out your asmite. But you could put azmite out in January, you can put it out in July. I mean, it doesn't matter when you put it out. It's just easiest to go ahead and do it when you do your fertilizing, and that that makes it easiest to remember. Now you find more information on it if you want it asmite Texas dot com. And where are you going to find it? Pretty much everywhere, feed stores, garden centers, ace hardware stores, Southwest fertile all of these are places that typically will carry asmite. I'm going to head up to Tomball now and we're going to talk to David. Hello, David.
Speaker 10: Hey, good morning, sir.
Speaker 3: Hey, and uh, I too remember cutting out the cardboard record on the cereal box?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 10: I remember?
Speaker 3: I remember that coming out, Hey, and not the reason I called. But uh another little funny thing of some Kasey case On trivia about that particular song. I heard this from Kasey Caseum and it stuck with me that Sugar Sugar was the only song that went number one on the pop or whatever charts it was on at the time by a band that didn't exist. The Archies were not an actual band. They were a bunch of studio musicians. Song went number one, and so yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It went number one.
Speaker 3: It was by a band that really didn't even exist.
Speaker 9: But anyway, that's not real.
Speaker 4: Hey, I heard you one time.
Speaker 3: It seems like you mentioned some handheld little flower bed garden tools, a little spain and rake and fork that you hold with your hand, that you said. I think you said they had a lifetime warranty. What if you recall what is the name of that product? Are those what's the brand name?
Speaker 2: I do not remember saying that, And if you were asked me what tools have a lifetime warranty? What I what I would I would sugget, Well, there's a lot of good tools out there, and there's a lot of cheap tools out there, and you can look at them and tell that's a little tack. Well that's not going to hold up, you know, things like that. Uh, Corona Tools are very good line of tools.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 2: They that that would be an example of a good brand, but it is not the only brand of quality tools out there. So okay, that would be one one that comes to month.
Speaker 3: I got a birthday coming up, and I'm just gonna maybe put that on my waishlist.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's good. Well, and you know when it comes to pruners like ham pruners and loppers and saws and things, Corona is a good brand for that as well. And Bob, it's South. I was fertilized. I know, well your way up in Tomball. But don Bob's got a number of different brands that are all quality that he carries down there, including Corona. You're gonna find Corona up in your area, though I know some of the garden centers will carry Corona up there in Tomball.
Speaker 4: I'll look for it all right, thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you. Appreciate the call and the information. And by the way, you said, Casey Cason, there's another one that I bet not everybody remembers. We used to listen to his top forty all the time. Take care, David, appreciate your call. Alrighty, let's see where are we here? Watching my time. I'm gonna take a little break here, so Alex and Richmond and fred In Spring you will be our first two up when we come back. All right, welcome back. Hey. I was talking to somebody a minute ago about Medina recommending, you know, getting a lantana established and fast and getting it growing fast and on its way. Well, Medina has to grow six twelve six plot food. It is one of the many products from Medina that is very very effective. It works, and I use it myself. If I'm in a plant of plant, you want to mix it up, I put mine in the water and can and I just plant the plant and drench it really good, wet that area. Sometimes I'll set the plant in the whole drench the whole hole, and then fill in soil and drench it again, and then a week later do it and a week later, do it again. So three times a good soaking about a week part week, ten days or so apart, and you get your plants off to a good start. And you're going to find Medina has to Grow six twelve six all over the place. Now, they have other products from Medina that work very well, and I don't have time talking about all of them that they have, but you can go to Medina agg and you can find out more about these good product. One that I really like is Medina has to Grow for lawns. It's a twelve four to eight formulation. It's got that three to one to two ratio. You hook it up to a garden hose and go over your lawn. Maybe your lawn has some spots that aren't doing so good and you want to just kind of treat those areas. It's real easy with the end of a garden hose to just water those areas, you know what I'm saying, rather than have a spreader with granular where you're trying to just cover those areas and you can just kind of give them an extra boost with that, or you can do the whole lawn. I mean, it's good for the whole lawn. But I'm just saying one of the advantage of that hose in with Medina has to grow lawn food six twelve six is that you can do some spot extra treatments if you need to give a little boost to those areas. Let's go out to Richmond, Texas now and we're gonna talk to Alex. Hello Alex, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Thanks give good morning.
Speaker 16: I found morny build its farm worm moth caterpillar.
Speaker 4: It was on one of my genius so it's the only one I found.
Speaker 13: I got rid of it.
Speaker 4: But my concern is more for the turf grass.
Speaker 16: Saint Augustine, I know you're not a big fan of sort of preemptively throwing down grub control or pest aside. Uh yeah, from what from what Google told me is it can be pretty detrimental to the to the turf.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Well, number one, it's not super common to see velvet army worm around here. Normally we deal with fall army worm, and and there are other caterpillars, and in a sense it kind of doesn't But no matter what kind of caterpillar it is, they eat leaves and they they are controlled by the same products. So uh, I when when you say the word grub, then that's not at all connected to caterpillar. That's a beatle larvae and so that's a separate thing. But the caterpillars that are worth eating in a lawn or pretty much just the army worm typically the fall one here late season army worm mostly and the sod webworm, which occurs some years and other years you don't see them hardly at all.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so are we are? Is your main concern? I may have missed this, But is your main concern your lawn? Or is it the flowers and things?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 17: My lawn?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I I don't think that what you're seeing is going to be a big concern. You can watch your lawn and if you see foliage of the grass being eaten and things, then go ahead and jump in at the first of it. And I would use a product containing probably there's two options. The organic option is spin no said s P I N O s A D like spin the letter O and SAD. That's the organic option for caterpillars in the lawn. And the synthetic would be by fen Thren b I F E N T h R I N Thren by fen thrin. Nitrofoss has it by fen thren product that you can put down on your line to granule, and then the spinosaid, typically is going to be something that you spray onto the turf, but the spino said doesn't last forever, and so doing it ahead of time and then having the caterpillars really show up in masks later you would have to do it again.
Speaker 4: Got okay, So I was I was more concerned for what sign to look for.
Speaker 18: So I guess I expected more of a grub sign, so just kind of dead patches, but I'm looking for more the same thing you'd see on a plant from a caterpillar, holes and leaves signs that they've been eating on the leaf of the grass plant correctly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and not even in the in the in the lawn, it won't be holds. It will be like the caterpillar grabs the side of the leaf blade and it chews it away. And so if you kind of look at your lawn, it's like something's wrong right there. You can't retell, and you get on your hands and knees and start looking at grass blades. When you see those jagged, chewed up sides of the grass blades. That means you got the caterpillars, and that's plenty of time to jump in and take care of them. Lawn is resilient. A little caterpillar damage here and there isn't gonna be a deal. You just don't want them to defoliate the whole thing, and so jump in early on that. But I'm gonna, I would say, eighty five percent chance this is not going to become a problem in your lawn, but it might. Just keep an eye on it. All right, all right, Skip, I appreciate it, sir.
Speaker 13: We'll talk to you later.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for the call, Alex. I appreciate that very much. Thank you. Super turf from nitro foss is an outstanding product for giving you a long term nutrient release of that nitrogen and other nutrients for your lawn. And I mean so it takes like four months for all the super turf to be released out of the out of the product, so it goes a long time. You're gonna find super turf at places like plants for all seasons. Right there on Luettah, you are gonna you know two forty nine in Luetta right where they come together. Uh, you're gonna find it d and de feed up in tomball Fisher's Hardware on Southmore down in Pasadena, as well as the one on Broadway and Laport. Many places carry nitrophoss products likes the super turf. Let's see, We're gonna go down to Spring and talk to Fred. Hey, Fred, Welcome to garden line, Good bonning, mourning help.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, I'll send you a picture of some Saint august thing that's called it yellow it maybe lime green spots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had developed last year and I.
Speaker 14: Spry some.
Speaker 5: Iron liquid, you know, Hosing iron on it last year didn't seem to do anything to it. Okay, Now it looks like I'm getting spots, little spots all over my yard. So I don't know what you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've read that it's an iron deficiency, but I don't know what do you think.
Speaker 2: What I think is it is an iron deficiency because roots are being killed and iron is taken up at the tip of roots. So when you don't have new root growth going, you're going to see iron deficiency in Saint Augustine. The pattern of it in your lawn, it does not look like there's a lack of iron in the soil. It looks to me. My first guess would be a disease called take all root rot that kills root tips. And if you go to my schedule for lawn pest disease and weed management, I've got take all listed there in the disease row across the January through December schedule, and it tells you what to use and when to use it. So that would be the first thought that I yeah. The second possibility would be if something was done in those areas that added a lot of phosphorus or raised the pH like And this isn't likely, but you know, if you had dumped lime or in that area, or if you'd put some extra hyphosphorus fertilizers just thrown it out in those areas, that would do it. And and that is very unlikely that you anyone would do that. So I think the takeoll root rot is going to be your culprit. But if you go to gardening with Skip dot Com gardening with skip my Scouts on the page download.
Speaker 5: I have your schedule pulled up here.
Speaker 6: I just got it.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, So what you'll see is we do a little take all treatment treatment in the spring, and we do a little take all treatment in the fall. What you might want to try to do is there is a fertile loan product and the exact name escapes me at this moment, but it's a fertile loan product that has micro nutrients in it like manganese and iron. It's a gray bottle, it's a micro nutriant. You mix it up and I would spray that on those areas and see if it improves. I think it will. And then you if you get a little bit of shredded shredded peat moss, not the sphagnum, the you know, big long strings of peat moss, but the shredded up and you put it about an half inch deep over those areas, I think you're going to see green up and that'll carry you into the fall season. When you would apply the product for take all root rot, I think you'll see a results. And I would like to hear back from you if you do one or both of those, as to how that's looking on your long care of take all. Okay, so on the law, not long care, but long pest disease and weed management. It's the second schedule that's on there, Pest disease and weed management. Go across to October on the disease row. All right, hey, the music says, I gotta quit talking. Good luck with that, but do send me a picture if you do, either the pete moss or that fertile on micronutrient alrighty, welcome back, Welcome back, on a beautiful Sunday morning. I hope you have some plans this afternoon to go visit a garden center, pick up some of the wonderfulness that's available this time of the year to make your place beautiful and bountiful and everything you want it to be. There's all kinds of plants out there and all kinds of things for every situation where you're trying to grow to have success. So get out there and have a good time. Okay, that would be nice. Hey, Nature's Way resources visiting with Ian the other day, Ian who now runs the place there. You know John Ferguson a lot of y'all know John. He started Nature's Way many years ago based on the principle of how do we cooperate with nature do things the way nature does to make plants successful. And if anybody knew that brown stuff comes before green stuff, it was John Ferguson. You take care of the soil and the plants do good. That's what that means. Brown stuff before green stuff. And he created all these things that were born at Nature's weall, you know, rose oil and leaf more compost just examples of things born in Nature's Way. Well intront in the place now and him, him and the whole he and the whole team out there in Nature's Way continues that tradition and the products. I was out visiting. We looked some products and things. It just as good as it always was. And uh, you know, I've tried a number of Nature's Way products and they just work. Now. Everybody knows about rose oil. Roaset soil is famous.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 2: The Houston Roase Society helped design that particular mix and it's just as good as it ever was. But they have the leaf mole compost in a fine and a course texture. If you're going to do some do it yourself aeration and top tre seeing, well, get their fine textured leaf boll compost. It is the one you want to use. They also have a fungal compost which you can use for compost stop dressing two. By the way, you can and the fungal compost is on sale every Friday. It's called Fungal Fridays. Ten percent off bags, twenty percent off bulk. You can go pick stuff up at Nature's Way, which is located on Interstate forty five North, just before you get to Conro. Just before you get up to Conro, fourteen eighty eight comes in from the left, that goes off to Magnolia. You turn right and go across the railroad tracks and that's you're going to get to Sherbrook Circle right there across the tracks and you'll see Nature's Way resources. Now you can do that. You can go to stores where they sell their bags, and you can find them around town. A lot of high quality stuff and available by the bag in town, or you can call them have it delivered for a reasonable fee. You know, it costs money to hold bulk products. I don't care what kind of bulk product you're dealing with. You try to get it delivered somewhere, and there's a signific that an expense for the company trying to get it to you. It just regulations and all kinds of things, but it's worth it. You buy a book, you get it delivered, and you know If you're going to just do a few bags here and there, that's fine. But if you're going to create a bed for growing things, if you're going to top dress the whole lawn, if you're gonna whatever like that, you need to do the You need to do the bulk route of it. Nature's Way Resources dot Com is a website, and here's the phone number. Nine three six two seven three twelve hundred nine three six two seven three twelve hundred. My wife and I were sitting outside on the back patio yesterday just watching birds coming to our feeder, and we had some interesting things going on. First of all, we had some beautiful redbirds, male and female redbirds were coming. A few other species of birds were coming to the feeder. And then I looked over in my vegetable garden and I saw a robin. And I have to tell you what this robin was doing. By the way, I have a apb out on that robin right now. It will be arrested and brought to justice. But anyway, the robin was eating my cherry tomatoes, just picking them off my cherry tomato plants. Well, you know, I get enough of them. I'm not too worried about that, so we sat and kind of chuckled and watched this marauding vandal bird steal my cherry tomatoes. Anyway, it just reminds me. You know, if you love birds, or if you want to learn more about birds, wild Birds Unlimited is the place to go.
Speaker 13: It is.
Speaker 2: I mean, wild Birds Unlimited has the experts that can answer any question that you have about birds, and they've got the products that you need to have success. You can buy cheap birds eat out there, full of those red bebies. By the time you look at how much do I actually get that the birds eat, it's not cheap. It's not cheap at all because they kick most of it out. Some of those cheap seeds are just anyway waste money. Anyway, the folks at wal Unlimited have a perfect blend for right now. It's called Nesting Super Blend. It's only available at Wildbirds Unlimited. Nesting Superblend has got all kinds of stuff that birds salivate overs. I mean, we're talking about dried mule worms and peanuts and sunflower chips and save flower tree nuts, bark butter bit. It's got that extra protein and it's got the calcium that's needed during this nesting season, and they are nesting right now. So when you're forming shells to lay eggs, when you're creating a skeletal structure for bird, it takes calcium to do that and the protein that is so important. You can buy Nesting super Blend and loose seed bags. You can buy it in the little compacted seed cylinders that the bird has to peck the seeds out of. You buy it either way, but the main thing is just buy it now. You're going to find Nesting super Blend at any of the six Wildbirds Unlimited stores here in the Greater Houston area. That includes the Kingwood Store in Kingwood Drive, the clear Lake Store on El Dorado, the Pearland Store on East Broadway, if you are in Cypress area on Barker Cypress, if you are in the south central area of Houston, well there's one on bel Air and there's one on Memorial Drive on the West side as well. That's six six Wildbirds Unlimited stores. Why are you there? Pick up the Wildbirds Unlimited high perch hummingbird feeder. Yesterday is the first hummingbird I've seen at my feeder, and maybe it's just because I was sitting out at the right time. But I loved that feeder. It really really works makes it easier to see the hummingbirds too. All right, let's do this. We are going to head out to Meadows Place and talk to Jim. Hello Jim, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Hello Skip. We talked about a week ago. I've got my tomatoes growing. I've got five plants. Two I bought as a plant, three I raised from seed, primarily cherry tomatoes. And I've been using Job's Organic, which is a two five three tomato and vegetable fertilizer. They recommended itself with fertilizer, and I've also been applying a little bit of coffee grounds EPs and salt and baking soda compound every other week that was recommended. Is there anything I should be doing different? I'm a little disappointed that the plants are doing well. They're producing tomatoes, but the tomatoes are very small. They're not growing very big as I think they should. So am I doing something wrong? Or do I need to change what I'm doing?
Speaker 2: Jim? What's the color look like on those plants? Is it deep deep green or is it kind of a light sharp truish yellowy green or where is it?
Speaker 8: No, they're all deep deep green.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, tomato fruit size is a function of getting as much sunlight as possible and of the way you prune tomatoes. Now, if you were to take a tomato and cut every sucker off of it and just have a single trump coming up a steak, you would have larger tomatoes. If you let it be in a cage and you take off almost no suckers, you have more tomatoes, but they're going to be smaller. So that's one factor in there. Other than that, the tomatoes sound like they look good. The stuff you're putting downs, I'll find. For the tomatoes, I just wait and give a little bit more time. But maybe taking out some more of those little sucker shoots that come out everywhere tomato produces a leaf, it also puts a shoot right there, and that may help a little bit. But those would be the two tips that I would give you.
Speaker 8: I've been working on that since the last time we talked, checking the suckers and every book. I just wanted to tell what's doing needed to do something different.
Speaker 2: I think that's it, other than sunlight. But hey, I'm up against a hard break, but thanks for the call and good luck getting those tomatoes, and that my advice works. You know, you got to bring me half the free that you get and drop it off at the station. We'll call it you bye bye, you bet. I'll be right back all right, welcome back to the guarden Line'm glad you are with us today. If you have not been to Arburgate recently, you need to go. Arbor Gate is a destination. It just is. And by the way, I'm going to be at Arbrogate next Saturday. This will be the last appearance that I do for the whole spring season next Saturday, so it's like last call, folks, come on out and see me. I will be there on Saturday. I'll give you even the date of it, Saturday, May tenth. I'll be there from twelve to answering your gardening questions. They got some great giveaways. They're going to have a peach ballini machine right next to me, so you got to come see me to get a bellini unless they're planning on moving at ors up it anyway, that is a fun place to go and they have lots of good stuff. By the way, on May seventeenth, that's the Saturday after this Tropical Dazzlers talk with Angela Chandler. And Angela is an expert on all kinds of things plants, and she brings a class that just it just goes into all those bold, almost gaudy, beautiful things that we can grow here in summer. There's tropical, you know, allocacious and colocacious, he may say, elephant ears on plants, kalladiums, and dance of soma. The zanthosoma especially pretty too. If you love showy plants that really thrive in the hot, humid climate in the Houstern area, this is your class. Now you've got a register. You got a register for the class. It's ten dollars per person and only forty people. There's only room for forty, so don't mess around. Give them a call two eight one three five one eighty eight fifty one two eight one three five one eight eight five one for the class two saturdays from this weekend, so May seventeenth, next Saturday, they tenth, I'll be at Arburgate. Come on out and see me. You got to see the stuff that they have. The selection is incredible and bring people with you on this. If you've got a non gardener friend. They will love the gift shops and they will find a plant that they will become a gardener. When they go to Arburgate, they'll get excited all the different products that are carried, all the different plants that are carried, and you know, here's here's probably the best. I don't know. It's hard to say the best thing when there's so many good things. But one of the very best things at Arburgate is you show up and people that know what they're talking about greet you, and they take time even to help you shop if you need that, if you want somebody to you know, put together. You say, I need a group of plants to go in a flower bed, and I want I kind of like these colors, and what would be good going into summer? What can I do right now? They'll take in there, show you that it's not like you're on your own. Remember to park in the back. It's off Trischel Road, goes around behind Arburgate. There's a parking lot back, perfect place to park, lots of space, easy safe access. It's the only way to go. The main thing is right now, oh wait, right on on your calendar. Next Saturday the tenth, the tenth of May, I'll be there at Arburgate for the final appearance that I'll do this whole spring. Come on out to see me. It is a plus plus. Let's just put this way. Everybody who shows up, I'll buy you a pink a peach Bellini. Not that I'm having to buy them, they're free. Come on out, let's have some fun at Arborgate. That's not hard to do. You are listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. We are here to help you have a successful garden. The way I like to put it is a more bountiful garden, more beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process, because gardening should be fun, and it can be fun when you take care of your plants, when you do the things that plants want you to do. If you have not been recently to an Ace hardware store, you've not been to an Ace hardware store. This is not your grandfather's hardware store. Yeah, it has all the stuff grandpa's hardware store had, you know, things for lighting and things for electricity, and things for plumbing and all of that like a hardware store. Right, tools, but Ace, oh gosh, the tool lines that they have are amazing and I'm I am a big fan of power tools and I love those things. And Ace's got an excellent selection of all of the you know, we're talking about top brands, main top brand, but when it comes to your yard and your garden, fertilizers a good selection. If you're organic, if you're synthetic, it doesn't matter. Ace has got products for that, controlling pasts and diseases and weeds, all the things that want to mess up your plans out in the garden. They got this stuff for that. They got quality tools, garden hoses, you know, I mean the garden sprinklers. And then one of my favorite parts, and I've just gotten to become more of an outdoor living person, is yours go. I think I love to go out on the patio and set and we got a string of those lights. I call them beer garden lights, but they're basically there's little strings of a not so bright lights that glow and create that ambiance. It is so nice out there when you have that. And right now they got their barbecue pits on a special deal. There's certain certain varieties I sound like a plant person. There are certain brands of barbecue pits that have really good specials on them. And ACE carries all the big brands, the ones you can't live without. They're there at Ace harborre Go to ACE Hardware Texas dot com. That's the website you need to know. Ace Hardware Texas. Don't forget to put the Texas in there dot com. So, for example, if you're done in Deer Park, we got deer Park Lumber Ace Hardware on Center Street. If you were in Orange, Texas, Hey, shout out to all you folks out there in Orange Child's Building Supply on Sixteenth Street. Maybe you're up in Crosby at Crosby Ace Hardware on FM twenty one. Or how about this Cyprus Ace Hardware on Jones Road. There's another one. I mean, there's a lot of great Ace Hardware stores out there, and you can find yours by going to ACE Hardware Texas dot com. We're gonna head up to Conroe now and we're going to talk to Bill. Hey, Bill, welcome to Garden Line. Do we have a bill? All right? I'n put Bill back on hold and I'll come back to your bill. We'll try to get you back online.
Speaker 15: Here.
Speaker 2: Guess what I just did yesterday. I just attached a three sixty tree stabilizer to a tree in my landscape. I I you know I talk about I don't brag on products and talk about products I don't have personal experience with. Well. I've got two citrus trees right now that I have tree stabilizers on them. And when I first planted them, I came back the next day and those trees were at a forty five gangle because the wind blasted through there. Not anymore. They got tree stabilizers. It's going to hold them and it holds them in a way that lets them move, which is important. Movement creates strong trunks. Movement creates good anchorage with those top roots that help anchor that tree in. These trees are gonna develop strong and they're need They're not gonna need the stabilizer forever, but when you need it, I got it, and they last forever. You're gonna find them at RCW Nurseries at jorgesed and Gardens Don in Alvin. You can go to Siena Multch down the Siena area and find the three sixty tree stabilizers and the heights Buchanans on eleven street carries them and guess what the arborgate where I'm gonna be next Saturday. Come on and get your tree stabilizer three sixty Tree stabilizer out there. This is a great product. It just really it makes it easy. You don't got the wires to trip over. You're not cutting garden hose up into sections, so the wire didn't cut into the tree. Just get you one, Get you one and you'll like it. All right. We're gonna go back out and try Bill again. Here, Hey Bill, are you there?
Speaker 17: I am done?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Thanks quick.
Speaker 19: The rain is coming.
Speaker 13: Should I do the fun aside before or.
Speaker 2: After the rain? After? What are we spray in.
Speaker 19: Garden lawn?
Speaker 2: The lawn? Okay? So uh yeah, wait until after it rains and then put your fun aside down. Uh if we were to get a gully washer kind of rain, it could wash outuct and and that includes soluble fertilizer too away. So yeah, I would wait, and I think you'll be better off. But do it right away after the rain, because that wet conditions is where diseases thrive, all right, right?
Speaker 13: Or has to grow? Is there a differences to grow on versus they.
Speaker 2: Complimentary they're complementary uh asites, micro nutrients, strictly, strictly micro nutrients. It's a granule has Medina has to. Twelve four eight is a primarily putting on for the big three the nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium that you're going to get from that, so you can use us both. All right, did you have too much potassa phosphorus? Thank you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Eight it no, it's an it's an eight two.
Speaker 17: Two.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is right. No, No, it's a twelve four eight. I'm sorry, my brain is not clicking here this morning. Yeah, twelve four eight is the one in Medina hast Grove for lawns, and that phosphorus is the middle number. It's the lowest number. That's how you want it to be.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, very good, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: All right, you bet, thanks for the call. I appreciate I appreciate that very much. Enchanted Forest is a wonderful garden center down there in the Richmond Rosenberg area. In fact, if you were in Richmond and you were heading up sixty nine towards sugar Land, it'd be off to the Riot on FM twenty seven to fifty nine. Write this address down this web address. You need to see their website. It is outstanding and it gives you a big picture of everything. You'll find out what's going on there because there's weekends where you're gonna want to go out and hear somebody talk or whatever, or maybe they got a new kind of plan in which are always getting in. It is enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com entented Forest Richmond, TX dot com right now. They are loaded as als are, with pollinator plants and with plants, you know, to attract butterflies and hummingbirds and things like that. They have a selection of Salvius. I think it's something like ninety salvius that they carry ninety Salvia variety. I believe it's ninety one. In fact, Salvi's my favorite genus of plants, and they are loaded with them. They're and enchanted forest herb selection, incredible vegetable selections, incredible flowers everything, and big beautiful giant pecan trees. Just the shade. It is so nice to walk around and shop under those kinds of trees. Really really nice to be able to do that. I am coming up here on a heartbreak for the news, and when we come back we'll come back to your questions if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two kt RH. In the meantime, don't forget. I'm going to be at arbor Gate Garden Center this next Saturday from twelfth to two, and I hope you can come out and see me. There you go. I just had to let that play a little bit. Nothing like homegrown tomatoes, you know, in the garden tomatoes or the Queen of the garden. Nobody ever calls me about the Cole Robbie. We get a lot of questions about tomatoes. We're gonna go to one right now. We're gonna head out to Cyprus, Texas and talk to Matt. Matt, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Skip, and thank you. I send you a picture of email about ten minutes ago about.
Speaker 5: I got it good good.
Speaker 6: I believe, I don't know for sure. It's only one picture, but it has I believe it's called frass on it, which is a doo dooo of some sort, or maybe it's a that was a lead.
Speaker 2: No, you're you're right. Frass means insect poop. Doodoo means insect poop, and it's insect poop on that lead and what a lovely thing to talk about on a nice Sunday morning. Sorry, you know, no, that's okay. Interestingly enough, we can have some fun, a little bit of fun with this. There are entomologists that specialize in bug poop identification, because sometimes you don't see the bug, you just see the poop, and believe it or not, they can identify bugs based on their poop. I am not one of those. I know a little bit about it, but not much, but they look at it. Caterpillars have a very unique poop and that it often has ridges in it. And the most delicate way I can put this Sunday morning is you remember those Plato machines where you put plato in and you press the handle down and you could get star You could put a star hole in front of it, or a half moon crescent and it would make that shape coming out. The back end of a caterpillar has similar mark, similar things, and they can look at that bug poop and they can tell you this is that kind of caterpillar or whatever. And they're used in like crime scene identification. You know, a body is found in the woods and they find this little bug poop on it and they can look and they go, oh, well, that's this bug, and therefore that bug occurs at this time of the year in New England, and so this is anyway, all right, I'm going too far with it, but you get the idea. Your yours looks a little bit like caterpillar, but it's it's extremely soft. I would look for some other pieces that are a little bit firmer, like little pellets. More so, to be sure on that one, I think you're dealing with a caterpillar that's feeding on it. It is possible that something else just came by and happened to stop on the leaf above it, or on that leaf, and that's why you have it. But I think that's a sign that you have some caterpillars. I see in the top right corner the.
Speaker 6: Skip, I don't see anything, and I get up pretty close with my glasses. I don't see a warm at all. Someone the black frost is like a little beebe and I just flick them off. There are holes in some of the leaves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'll tell you what else is. If you look at the picture you sent me in the top right corner, you never even notice it. If you weren't studying the whole picture. But there is a leaf that has been caterpillar chewed, the edges have been chewed off of it, there's a caterpillar feeds in from the sides, and I still think this is a caterpillar. What can happen is the number one caterpillar predator in the garden and landscape or paper wasps. Paper wasps the ones that build the nests under your eaves, that sting us. That is what they primarily eat is caterpillars, and they are flying through your garden all the time. And whoever poop this poop is probably paper wasp food right now if you're not finding a caterpillar on your plant, so I would not worry about it. If you're not seeing significant loss of foliage, I wouldn't think twice about it. Nature has a way of taking care of these things. Okay, yeah, one more question.
Speaker 6: Could it be flea beetles with holes and the leaves you know, round holes?
Speaker 2: Not this poop. This poop is not that, and I don't Flea beetles are primarily when a planet very young, they can do damage, but that plan out grows them in time. So I know. I don't think so. I think we covered all we can about it. And thank you for this venture into entomological scatology today on garden Line. Thank you very much. I appreciate that if you're looking for an organic fertilizer with eleven percent nitrogen that dissolves away in your lawn and gives you a pretty quick release the nutrients get the nutrients. Microes get a hold of it and they turn the nutrients loose from it to feed your plant. The nutrients primarily nitrogen that's in't that is Sweet Green from night. Sweet Green is widely available in the Greater Houston, Aario. You're going to find it at an ACE Hardware on Sincle Ranch as well as ACE Hardware up there in the Woodlands. You go onto Hiding and Feed on Student or Airline or RCW Nursery on Tambo Parkway, and you are going to find nitro fross products like this, like this quality product Sweet Green. Let's head out now to Magnolia tech Is and talk to Jerry.
Speaker 10: Hello, Jerry, Hey, Hello, how are you doing this morning?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. How are you doing? Yes, sir, I am How can we help.
Speaker 10: My wife just discovered some green nodules on our pecan tree leaves that Google identified as Pontana, and I was wanting to know how to get rid of them.
Speaker 2: On palm tree leaves, green nodules con oh oh, those are called Phyloxa phylocera.
Speaker 8: And what it is.
Speaker 2: It's a little insect. It lays an egg in the leaf and the secretions cause the leaf to grow that little cancery cancerous looking bump on the leaf, and the insect grows up inside that and then flies out. Most of the time, phylocra are not worth treating. Nature has a way of keeping them in bounds. If you had a very young pecan tree and you had a severe philoxtra infestation, then I would say, okay, let's get out and start on a regular basis spraying it and try to break this up because it's taking away from the trees bigger on good growing, healthy pecan trees. Some philoxa here and there not worth it. They're not costing you anything on tree growth or production.
Speaker 10: Last year, we have three picone trees to pretty close proximity and two of the three or eight aproal bad fast kind of worms. Is that part of this.
Speaker 2: No, no, unrelated. All this insect does the only you don't even see the insect. It's very tiny, like a gnat size. All it does is cause the tree to expend energy growing that philoxra gall and taking away from the that area where the tree could have been making carbohydrates with the leaf out in the sunshine. So if you got annual severe infestations, yeah, go ahead and spray them. You've got to put a product on them. If it's a non bearing tree, you could use something like a bifendren product labeled for use in landscape. But if it's bearing pecans, I wouldn't I wouldn't do anything on it.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All right, good you bet, thank you for the call. Appreciate that a lot, interesting call. We see quite a bit of philosprah around on our trees here. Hey, Quality Home Products of Texas is where you get your generator. And I mean that. I'll just say it like that. They carry the Generac Automatic standby generator, quality generator. But why by from quality? Here's why. Here's why their standout organization when it comes to reliability, when it comes to integrity, they really prioritize taking care of their clients with honesty and transparency, and that's why over seventy seven thousand homeowners have gone with their award winning customer service. That's why fourteen thousand and five star reviews you can find. People love this. They take care of it. That's why they've won the Better Business Bureau's most Prestigious Customer Service Award. How many times have you bought something from someplace and after they sold it to you and they got your money, and it's kind of like that's where the be nice to you, take care of you ends. Not with Quality Home, Quality Home Products of Texas. Quality Home Products fully engineers and installs the systems they put out. They are it's just a great it's just a great company, family owned since nineteen eighty nine. They got financing options that are available. Here's how you get a hold of them. QUALITYTX dot com, qualitytx dot com or seven one three Quality listen storms come last year twice we're out of power for two weeks and most of the areas around Houston. Quality Home Product get get a hold of them, let them find the right one for you, and the folks at Quality Home Products will start that process so that you as soon as possible, have a generator out there that is protecting you and making sure you're not left in the dark. Time for me to take a little break here, I'll be right back with your calls. All right, welcome back to garden Lines. Glad to have you with us this morning. Thanks for listening in on this lovely Sunday morning. I hope you're having a good time looking forward this afternoon. Maybe get out and do a little bit of nursery visiting, if not a few chores about the landscape. You'd like to go that route, you know, the one of the I talk about the every day is a good day for gardening. And I say that because even if it's pouring rain outside like it was recently here, you can still garden indoors. And what do I mean by that, Well, I mean there's all kinds of ways with garden indoors. You can grow orchids, you can you can start seeds, you can start cuttings for propagating plans. I mean, there's all that is something to do for gardening. Another thing is African violet. I remember when African violets were the things like, eh, but I had African violets, and then it kind of went out where people just weren't as enthusiastic. But I'm seeing an interest in African violets now and I just noticed must nursery done in Seabrook got a whole bunch of them. In beautiful African violets. And they're easy to grow. Again, like any plant, you give them what they want and they grow. If you've tried to grow one and it didn't work, it's because you didn't give it what it wants. It's not that difficult to do. But swing by moss if you don't have one, and they again, they're gorgeous. They got all the kinds of the purple and the pink and the reddish and the white and all that. And they're also fun to propagate. It is weird that some plants you can just break a leaf off and that leaf will root. And at the base of the leaf, an African violet leaf is like a spoon. You know, in your spoon, you got the little little metal rod or whatever that's holding it, and then you got the round spoon on the end. That's like an African violet leaf. And if you put the petiole of the leaf that is the equivalent of the little handle of the spoon down into the ground so that the base of the leaf touches the soil. It will form babies right there. It will. It works, it's fun to do. So if you haven't tried Africa Votives, just go to Moss Nursery and while you're there you're going to find a lot of good stuff. They have so many cool types of pottery, and right now they've got some of the small landscape fountains on sale. As a matter of fact, these would be jars. They look like a container, but then you go look at them as like there's a little hole in the top and the water circulates around. And it's easy to do. You just take them home, set them up. Not very difficult, not huge, easy to do. But go into the greenhouse when you're there, we're talking about indoor gardening. Of course, Moss has everything for outdoor gardening, but I'm just focusing on indoors for this moment. They've got some beautiful Epiphylum orkid cactus and these are big. They have flat you would call them leaves, but that technically they're not a leaf, but beautiful hot pink blooms with a whole lot of pedals on them. They're just gorgeous begonias. The house, their house plant greenhouse has got one of the best selection of all kinds of plants for indoors or tropicals for using outdoors that you're going to find anywhere. They're excellent. While you're there, stop in grab one of Jem's whimsicle shirts. Gem comes up with these these really fascinating designs and things. He has something called the eyeball Plan. If you haven't seen that, go say I need to see Gem's eyeball shirt eyeball plant shirt, and they'll show it to you there at mos nur Shoe. They're located in Seabrook, Texas. Seabrook, Texas uh and the website moss m aas nursery dot com. The phone number eight excuse me two eight one seven four gosh, let's try that again. Two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight. One more time two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight. That's must nursery done in Seabrook, Texas. Eight acres of Wonderfulness. Take a friend and allow yourself some time, because there's a lot to see down there. Out west to Tomball is one of our favorite feed stores, D and D Feed and Supply. They're about three miles west of Highway to forty nine on twenty nine to twenty. You just head out twenty nine to twenty about three miles look to the left, you'll see D and D Feed. D and D has got you covered on what you need for your law and your garden and your landscape. And I'm talking about fertilizer products from nitrofoss and from Microlife and Nelson turf Star and Medina products as well, and azamite as well. Uh, if you want the jars and Elson plant food, they got that. Two they got soils from Heirloom Soils, and that is a really nice thing to have. Just drive up there, grab them and you're good. Dandy Feed the phone number is two eight one three five one seventy one forty four. Now, if you're dealing with any kind of pest from rats running around outside, to bugs on your plants, to spider mites, to diseases on your plants, to weeds that you're preventing or weeds that you're killing because they are actively growing in your garden, D and D has a product for everything, and they can tell you how to use them and how to have success with them. Dandy Feed and Supply three miles west of Tombol and two forty nine. You need to go check that place out. I love that place. I always like going in talking to Jeff and the team, the Dover family there. You know, they've been I guess they've been around since what nineteen eighty nine that they first opened up, and a big expanded store that they have now is really really nice for shopping and of course high quality pet feed too. When you're in there, I was looking over some of the products that Microlife carries and yeah, I don't know how to say it other than just they have everything you need. That is probably the easiest way that I can put it. If you're looking for granule fertilizers, you know, like they're six to four, they've got it for your lawns, and I use that on everything. I mean, it really is good for everything. If you have acid loving plants, they have got a fertilizer product for acid loving plants, if you you know, like I said, I use the communities and blueberries and whatnot. They're fertilizers are not salt based, so they're not going to burn your plants. You use a lot of it, that's not going to hurt your plants. Then they have their liquid product line. One of my favorite in the liquid line is the orange label, the excuse me, I can't talk right now, the micro Life orange label. So if you've not used that product before, it's called Biomatrix and it's a seven to one three, so it's an extra boost of nitrogen. So any of your foliage plants, especially or anything you're trying to give a boost of nitrogen to. This is a good product. And all our house plants basically are foliage plants, almost all of them, so it works really good in the house. On houseplants, they've got their ocean harvest and their super seaweed. Now that our ocean harvest and super seaweed, that's essentially what we would call fish emulsion and seaweed. You know, organic gardeners have long known you mix fish emulsion and seaweed together, and that's your organic equivalent of like a synthetic the emix and water turns the water blue or green or whatever. It's the equivalent of that kind of thing and it works. It absolutely works. So check them out. You're going to find Microlife products garden centers, feed stores, ace hardware stores Southwest for They're all over town. They're easy to find and the products work. And I say that because I've used them, you know. I that's one thing that I try to say it here on guard Line, but I think sometimes people just think, oh, well, you know, they're just a sponsor. Now, I don't take sponsors if I don't believe in their product, and if the product doesn't work, if I haven't used it or seen research on it or something like that. So I'm telling you something. It's the results I've got from it. And I can tell you that about these micro Life products because I have music means I got to quit talking, and this particular music means. We got one hour left in garden Line today for the weekend. One hour left, So if you'd like to give us a call and talk about whatever's on your mind seven one three two one two kt H, we will entertain questions about lawn weeds for crying out loud. We even talked about bug poop this morning. So I mean, it looks like nothing's inappropriate for garden line. I don't know about that. I'm gonna I'm gonna read that statement. There's a lot that's not going to talk about. We'll be right back already there. We've got some fun music coming up here in this segment. We'll we look forward to that. But this is in the music show. This is a garden line. We talk about gardening. What kind of plant questions do you have? What do you what do you wanna talk about? Maybe we can help you have success. That certainly is what I would like to happen, along with having some fun in the process, but in order to really enjoy your landscape, you know what, what kinds of tips and things can we provide to help you have that kind of success. Gardening is supposed to be fun, and it is. It is a beautifying thing, Listen. I have often kidded different friends of mine that, including ministers, that I have the one I am in, the one profession that was created a design by God. How about that for a high follutant statement. Yeah, that's right. Was it the cubicle of Eden or what is it the garden of Eden? You know what I'm saying? That's right. Let's see, I'm gonna make man. I'm gonna make him a gardener. That's it, all right, Well, the rest of you can figure that out, do it at what you want. We're having some fun here on garden line, but I really believe that we are designed to have a green thumb, to get out and enjoy plants, to enjoy nature. And you know, there's so much psychological research to support the idea of interaction with nature with plants. I've said these things before, but patients in a hospital room that look out their window at a parking lot versus look out their window at nature, the healing rate measurably. In research has been different. Kids in a classroom that struggle with add ADHD and are trying to learn experiences with plants, plants outside plants in their schooling life. It makes a difference, and they're learning Folks as they get older, struggling with dementia, people that are having trouble moving around. As they aid, there are so many benefits of gardening mentally, physically, psychologically. It really is significant and it matters. And I know, as I like to say, I know I'm biased, but that don't mean I'm wrong. In fact, in this case, I know I'm right because research has proved it out. I am because any of us who garden, we know the feeling of going out and seeing the ability to create something beautiful in your homescape, to change, to change your lot in life to a place where you look and you enjoy. You eat fresh food that you grew yourself, so you know what has been sprayed on it or not sprayed on it. You've grown it yourself, and there's a satisfaction there. The way I like to put it is, vegetables out of your garden are about fifteen hundred miles fresher than the ones you're going to buy in most cases. All Right, there's a little speech. Cinamulch south of Houston is the place you go to set things up for success. You start with the soil and you get it right, and then you put a plant in it that wants to grow here or in the spot where you're planting it, and you're set up for success. And Cena Mulch is the place that is the foundation of success. And here's why I say that. They have mulches. They have composts, they have bed mixes for all kinds of plants, and they have the nutrients they go with them, so when you drive away from Siena, you have the makings of what it takes to create a wonderful place for plants to throw. That would include fertilizers from Microlife and Nielsen their turf Star line, as well as the jars, the plant food jars, Medina products, products from nitrofoss asamite I've talked about that today and airloomsol products as well. They're all there and you can if you're within twenty miles they'll deliver for a small fee. I just go to Siennamultch dot com Ciena multch dot com. They're open Monday through Friday seven thirty to five, Saturday seven thirty to two, close today, close on Sundays Siennamoltz dot com. And I promise you this. They are the friendliest, most helpful folks that you're gonna find you will enjoy, I'll say, shopping there at Cienamulch. We're going to head now out to Lakeside Estates and talk to Maureene this morning. Hello Maureen, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 11: Yes, I'm excited because I'm going to be a first time owner of a salsonium plant. I've always seen them, but just wasn't able to make a connection to buy one. So here I am today. My question is, okay, would it prefer a zalia soil or rose soil mix? And the label said something about a high fertilizer value, so not sure? Can you answer those for me so I can get off to a good start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know you're not going to go wrong with either of those soils for delfinium, It's going to do well in either one.
Speaker 6: I I you know that.
Speaker 2: I love the big tall bloom spikes that they have. They can you just need to give them a good spot where they get a good sunlight. But a little late day sun wouldn't hurt, especially as things kind of get hot around here, you know that can that's a challenge for a lot of the plants that we do. But delfinium is not that difficult, not that terribly difficult to grow. It can take take a lot of the conditions we have, so I would probably give it slightly acidic soil. Rose soil is a little bit on the acidic side usually uh and the azalea types of soil, of course, those those are acidic. But it's not like an azalea or a blueberry or something where you just have to have really you know, more acidic conditions for it to thrive.
Speaker 13: Okay, and anything about.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 11: It's a big plant right now. The note dude say, don't break up the root ball. So should I still be using something to encourage the root to grow? There's a lot on the market. I can't remember ahead.
Speaker 2: I would give. I would, Yeah, I would get the Medina Medina product that I keep talking about all the time. I just I just find it be Okay, I know the yeah, great way to.
Speaker 11: Success every once in a while, but yeah, Medina is fine. Medina has to grow the one.
Speaker 2: That you or yeah, I would, I would. I would do the six twelve six has to grow plant food. Yeah, six twelve six, and watered in with that and do it again twice more about a week apart. And I think that is about all you need to do initially and then going forward, just moderate amounts of fertilizer. They're not super heavy feeders. You know, you're not going to have to go through uh, just extra fertilizing all the time. They A moderate amount is probably what you want. They're going to get pretty tall, so have you might want to have some way of supporting those bloomstalks, and there are different ways people do that, but if it's on the spot, I.
Speaker 11: Have long pals, I have long coals and the real skinny because I have orchards also, and so sometimes I have to but maybe I'll have to even resort to more. And so what's their blooming season?
Speaker 2: Primarily spring? Probably spring to early summer is primarily when we see those bloom the ones that I've dealt with before. Uh and by the way, I'm coming up here on a break, Maureene, so I'm gonna have to go, but uh it, congratulations on that.
Speaker 11: Yes, I'm very happy. Alrighty, I'm gonna give it a good try.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, Well there you go, all right, take care, ay bye, all right, I'm gonna take a break. I'll be right back. All right, we're gonna leave that without comments. I have been a while since I put some barbershop on. Wow, interesting lyrics, right, welcome back to garden Line. My apologies for the song, but we do play weird things here ever now and then we're glad you're here. If you'd like to give me a call, seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kat r Ah, let's talk about the things that interest you. Nelson Plant Food in their turf Star line, which is all their products for lawns, have something called Bruce's Brew. Bruce's Brew is a unique product. I could call it a hybrid, but in some ways that's inaccurate. But here's what it is. It's a fertilizer that is both a fast release and a slow release. Okay, so there's some forms of nitrogen in it that are going to release right away for a good greenup, and then there's some forms of nitrogen that are going to take two or three months to do their release over time. And so when you put Bruceus Brew down, you're not only taking care of right now with a good boost, but you are taking care of a few months ahead of you there as well. Bruce's Brew from Nelson's, part of the turf Star line, is available in a lot of places around town. It's easy to find and the stuff works. It is a high quality product designed with forms of nitrogen that not only feed the micro in the soil, but provide that nice even release over time to help you have a good result, a nice, beautiful dnse lawn. And that's what we're really out to achieve, right, I mean, that is our goal as we do that. If you haven't been out to Enchanted Forest Garden Center, they're down in the Richmond Rosenberg area, specifically on the Katie Fulscher side of the Richmond Rosenberg area. So when you go out to Ingented Gardens Number One, jaw's gonna drop when you step out of the car and see that place. It is an expanse of all kinds of wonderful plants and pottery. I think the last time I was out there was just recently. They had some of their wire basket planters. And when I say basket, I don't mean a thin basket. I mean a real heavy duty kind of metal wire structure that you line with like a cocoa cocoa core liner and fill it with potting soil and you can plan anything. Then they have some that stand, they're on stands and they're you know, a waist higher. They have some that hang on chains from underneath the trees there. It's an old rustic look that is so attractive. They got plenty of those. And Chris they have a lot of other kinds of containers. When you go out there, you're going to find everything you need. They carry the fertilizer products, they carry the products for dealing with pests and diseases, and perhaps most importantly of all, they know their stuff. The Liniman family has been in business since what nineteen ninety five, I believe when the Antended Gardens Burst opened.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 2: And you know Joey running the place now. He's just just a wealth of information, very active in the bigger nursery industry. And if you're looking for good answers, the team has it out there. They're enthusiastic. They greet you. You can bring them photos or samples or things that you want help with, and they'll help you. They'll hope you do that. They'll hope you achieve that, and I hope you get out there and try it out. Gets just some citrus, they some citrus trees on hand. A really beautiful you know. One of the cool kind of hot new plants is the blue butterfly pee. That's one people love. It's got the deep deep indigo blue flowers that when you dry them and steep them in tea, it turns the turns the water of bluish color depending on the pH you if you make it, I can't remember. I believe it's well anyway. One one acidic I think is blue and basic. I think it turns into a pink color. But anyway, it doesn't matter which is which. It just does it all. And it's a cool plant. It's not one that you find in just ever place. They're a biscus selection, super super hot, all kinds of beautiful biscus, gorgeous cone flowers. I can just sit here and go on and on. Do you like succulents and cacti? You should see the collections that they have. They're really cool, really cool. All right, Well, there you go, uh Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. That's the website. Go check it out. While you're there, pick up fertilizers from Microlife, Nitroposs and Nelson plant Food, medina, soils from Nature's Way and Heirloom. So, I mean, they got everything you need. When you drive away from there, you got no excuse. You got the plants, you got the supplies to go with them, and you got the advice that you need. Now just go home and do it and you can enjoy and create that kind of miniature Eden right there at your place with intented gardens and a Richmond. We had a lot of storms last year that really hammered trees, took them down, took out our power. It was horrible, just a lot of devastation. You know, there's a lot that a good tree service can do to protect a tree against a storm, creating a good structure that has the best chance of surviving. I mean, you know, you can't get a hurricane that knocks over anything, right, but there's a lot you can do with proper pruning and care. And Martin spoon Moore, you know he started. I don't know how long ago Martin's been in the business, but the fan it's ow fifty four years in the tree business. Martin's a third generation, I believe Affordable Tree it's a family business. When you give them a call at seven one three, six nine nine twenty six sixty three, you're probably going to talk to Martin's mom. Tell her you heard of us, heard about us on guardenline, because garden Line customers are their priority. That's seven one three six ninety nine two six six three. Whether you need just a consultation or whether you want to have pruning done or deep root feeding, pest and disease controlled. If you've got stumps to grind and listen to this. If you're going to do any kind of construction around a tree that includes sidewalks and driveways, anything trenching for utility lines, call them first, have them come out first and advise you. After the damage is done, they can help, but you've taken a lot of the good options off the table when you wait until after the damage has already been done. And call them ahead of time. Pre construction care with some consultation very very important, and they can do it at Affordable Tree Service. That's seven to one three six two six six three. We're going to head now out to Spring and talk to Ruth. Hello, Ruth, welcome to garden Mine.
Speaker 17: Thank you, good morning.
Speaker 20: We bought some drink goods at a at a box and about three days after we planted them, the leads started curling.
Speaker 17: The lengthwise of the leaf.
Speaker 20: Uh huh, not from a tip to thet so anyhow well, I was concerned.
Speaker 17: We've watered them, and then we thought, well, let's hold off on watering.
Speaker 14: But they still do it.
Speaker 17: Sometimes they don't, sometimes they do, but they're looking worse.
Speaker 14: The color is good.
Speaker 17: I was wondering the fungus that make us can get.
Speaker 2: It is not if it happened that fast in your bed. That is a stress response, and so it could happen if a lot of roots were damaged in the process of planting, maybe they dried out, maybe they broke, who knows what that could happen. It could happen if when you watered after that, you didn't get that little root ball that you put in the ground wet. You know, that's all the roots are in that little rootball. So if the soil is moist around them, the root ball still can pump out the water and dry out and go into a drop stress because it hasn't you know, it hasn't got roots out around it in the soil. So it could happen from that. Different kinds of stresses can do it, you know. But if you just keep taking care of them, try to keep the soil evenly moist. Because too much water is bad, so idi wet no oxygen in the roots, that's bad, but not enough water is bad. And so when you water for a while, make sure you're getting water right there in that root ball. Well and the soil around it a little bit too, but but mainly that rootball. Watch for that, and they should work out of it. I think they'll pick up. Unless the stress would were to lead to some sort of a root rod or something, well then they're going to go downhill and you can't stop that. But I think they'll be okay, I think they should.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they're still green.
Speaker 17: Okay, they're still green and buds.
Speaker 2: But it's not okay. Good look that's that's just a stress response and we get stressed and we live through it. It's okay. Thanks Ruth. I appreciate your call very much. Thanks a lot. If you're going to pot up any kind of plant on the patio or indoors, you need to know about jungle land distributed by nitrophoss. Outdoors, they've got the flower and vegetable planning soil. Indoors, they got the water saving planning sol Let's talk about that water saving planning soil. It's got crystals in it. They to me, they look like a little clear jello chunks, very tiny, very small, but they whole water much longer than the soil does. So when you forget the water, okay, you don't forget the water. When your neighbor forgets the water, and they their plants will have roots around those crystals and they can get a little bit extra out of that to carry them through until the plant owner remembers to go back and water. Am in really good anyway, That is jungle land, water saving, potting, soil a. Youre going to find jungle land products or excuse me, nitrovoss products many different places. You go up to Cyprus to m and Dace or down maybe the Ace Hardware Copperfield on FM five twenty nine Langham Creek Ace Hardware, or go down to the Kadi area to both the Pinoak location Kdace Hardware and the Ace Hardware Sinkle Ranch on Mason Road. All kinds of places where you're going to find nitrofos products. Let's head out now to Seabrook and we're gonna talk to Lisa this morning. Hello, Lisa, good morning.
Speaker 8: I have a question.
Speaker 13: We want to landscape the entire of a U shaped drive and we want to have a border of shrubs and then white drift roots wood roses. But okay, we're trying to decide on what to use for the border. I know we could try something like boxwood, but I had read that you could use rosemary as a border, which you recommend that.
Speaker 2: If the soil is very well drained. Rosemary makes a nice evergreen shrub that you can use. Now there's times when it gets looking a little ratty as it gets older and you do a little trimming on it, but it is an option. But with our rainfall here and in that enclosed U shaped drive, I just question whether the drainage would always be sufficient for it. But if it is, rosemary is an option another. I would not do boxwood. They just have a lot of They just are having more and more problems with a couple of diseases that affect them. You could do a orfeopon that would be an option to put in there. There's some there are some compact hollies that would do well in an area like that as well, if you just want a good green shrub, and of course there are many other kinds of shrubs. But that you're right in the back door of Moss Nursery, So swing by there and they're going to have eight hundred options for you that they could recommend for an area. I'm assuming it gets it gets good son.
Speaker 13: Right, Oh, all day, all day.
Speaker 2: It's okay.
Speaker 13: It's a lot of sun. Yeah, okay, yeah, I wanted well, but I read that they don't do good with roses.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not that they're with roses. They're going to be shorter statued and they'll do okay. I don't know where it said they wouldn't or what the reason was, but hey, I got about five seconds until a break here, Lisa. But thank you very much for the call. I do appreciate it. All right, folks, I'll be right back in just one second. Hang around all right, evoke you welcome back to garden Line. Good to have you with us. We're talking gardening and having fun here today, and I am glad you're around to be part of that. Thanks a lot for listening in. Uh, why don't we just let's see where are we here? Yeah, we're gonna go straight out here to Bay City and talk to Ross this morning. Hello Ross, and welcome to garden Mine.
Speaker 4: Hello Skip. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well? Thank you.
Speaker 4: I've got a question.
Speaker 21: I've got about ten live oak trees, and I got about three of.
Speaker 4: Them that just don't seem to be doing that.
Speaker 13: Good you know.
Speaker 2: And I was live oak.
Speaker 21: You said, yes, sir, live oak. And they're probably about I guess. I planted them when they were very small. Seven of them came up. I started from an acorn, and uh, they're probably about twenty years old almost, I guess.
Speaker 4: But for some reason the last couple of years, I got about three of them that just this seemed like you're going downhill for some reason.
Speaker 2: Okay, and uh, maybe when you started them ross, did you start them in a container and then transplant them out or did you just go out in the yard and drop an acron in the ground.
Speaker 21: I started them in a container and then once they got them about three four inches tall, I stuck them in the ground and kept them water and they did fine for years.
Speaker 4: Three of them had bought from Lamar Evans.
Speaker 21: Uh he's an oak tree guy in Bay City, and uh, well when I bought him to they was it was just a solid block of wood.
Speaker 4: Because when I took the uh.
Speaker 21: The two or three gallon container they were in, they were they it was down those are those you know doing all right?
Speaker 2: But okay, you so here, here's here's what I here's what I think is happening. This is my best shot, based on the information that you provided, I think that they have got a girdling root that is affecting the tree. So here's what happens when you put a plant and a container and it's the root hits the sides of the container and it can't do anything but turn and go around in a circle. And that little root is the size of a piece of spaghetti, and the trunk is a little bitty. But as that trunk gets bigger and bigger, and as the root gets bigger and bigger, the two come together and then that root becomes a strangling item around the trunk. Then the trunk, as it grows out and the root gets bigger, it just chokes it in the root. It's like you put a band of metal around the trunk, and you know at some point it's going to be a problem. And it starts not doing so good. It lacks, it's bigger, and you even start seeing die back where the shoot ends of shoots, you know, kind of die back. And the only way to check that for sure, to see if I'm right about that, is to go out and get you a strong blast of water and maybe even a little hand trowel and dig around the base of the plant, try to get down about six inches deep and go all the way around it and look for that. If you find it and it's not too late, meaning it's not so embedded that you can't fix it, you can take a saw. You can take a hamorrhnaches or whatever, just to cut a root and set that trunk free to go to resume expanding outward and growing healthy. If it's too far along, it's probably you're probably not going to be able to save it. But that that's just a matter of taking a look and trying. That's most likely what's happening. The only other thing would be to give it some nitrogen fertilizer, some lawn type fertilizer and water it in really good and kind of loosen up the soil. Put as big of a mult area around them as you can to keep the competition from grasses and we away. Uh, and also to keep the lawn mower in string trimor away because when they hit the bark they do damage. But that that's what based on what you said, I think that's what we're dealing with.
Speaker 21: Yeah, Well, the ones that the three that were root bound, I mean just a solid block of wood. This has been, like I said, about twenty years ago, and they've already got about a five inch trunk on them.
Speaker 4: And I had one tree that was my best and for some reason the main branch is just started dying off on me.
Speaker 21: And that tree is about dead almost, but it's got a thousands of shoots coming out off the.
Speaker 4: Bottom and some are coming out of the trunk, and I don't know those are healthiest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a yeah, well you can. You can cut it back to there that that wound is going to leave exposed wood that will begin to decay, So that will be a weak spot in the trunk of that tree. If it were mine for lawn terms sake, I would get rid of that tree and and and get a good, healthy, fresh one and put it in there. So it's it's not just a matter can you keep it alive. Yes, you can probably keep it alive, but structurally you don't need something that the next big storm that comes through, when it's already a large tree, is gonna snap it off. Okay. So that that's my two cents worth. That's about That's that's all I know to tell you on that check for the girdling roots and then give it fertilizer about one or two cups per inch of trunk diameter, one or two cups per inch of trunk diameter watered and really good. And that's about what's within your power. Ross. Hey, I got a run, but thank you very much. I do appreciate calling, and I wish you well and getting that getting that work. And let me know if you do find some girdling roots that are embedded in the trunk like an inn a conda strangle in the thing.
Speaker 21: Okay, if if I put armon hammered litter around the trees, but that hurts the tree by any chance, you know, litter arm and hammer Uh, litter litter from a cat.
Speaker 2: I don't, I don't. I don't know what all might be in it. It probably won't hurt anything, but I just don't know on that one. But thanks a lot. I appreciate I appreciate your call.
Speaker 10: Hey.
Speaker 2: Uh, Buchanans Garden Center Buchanan's Native Plants Garden Center on Eleventh Street in the Heights. You need to go buy there first of all, go buy and check out the new checkout area. I don't care if it's raining or if the sun is blazing down. Now you've got a nice protected spot as you go to check out. Uh, and uh, it's it's wonderful. It is really really nice.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: They've done a great job on creating that. Anytime you go into Buchanans, you're going to find outstanding plant selections. You know, they specialize in natives, but they don't just have natives. But I don't know anybody that's got the selection of natives the Buchanans does. And they even designate them down to like, I want something that's a native in the Houston area, only you know, not a native in San Antonio and Austin. I'm only a native here in the Houston area. They can do that. And if you want natives for shade, if you want natives per son, if you want natives that attract butterflies or hummingbirds or whatever, these folks know what they're doing and they carry those plants. And you need to go to and bookmark their website Buchanansplants dot com. Buchanansplants dot com. It is one of the best wealth of information on lots of kinds of gardening. It's all there on the website. Plus you find out when they're having sales or when they're having events like that the big Easter event and everything out there. You get the you kind of get the early start on that kind of information. When you go to Buchanans, you get everything you need for success, including people that are very very well educated, friendly and accurate with the information they give you so you can have success. Buchanans, Native Plants, Eleventh Street, and the Heights, simple as that. All right, I gotta take little Brek Carolyn Conroe your first up when we come back. All Right, The Wonders or if you watch the movie That Thing You Do by Tom Hanks, the Oneiders. That's a long story. You have to see the movie. By the way, Tom Hanks wrote the music for that movie is that amazing. I mean, it's like you went back to nineteen fifties. The guys. He is way too talented, way too talented. I was visiting with Luis from Heirloom Soils yesterday out there at the Hardware City on Memorial the Ace Hardware Store, and we were talking about some of the product and these have such a line, such a broad line of products. I mean, what do you need, you know, do you need a potting soa. Do you need something for cactium's, cacti and succulentce Do you need a product that you would put out there as a landscape bed mix. Maybe you're gonna grow veggies and herbs, maybe you're gonna grow roses. Each thing I'm saying is a different product that they carry, and it's a quality product. Expanded shield, mold, compost, expanded shell with compost, you know, and then mulches, mulches, multius mulches. If you want to take care of the brown stuff, which is what I constantly recommend you do here on Guardenline. You need to know about airloom soils and you need to take advantage of it. Go to the website. It is awesome heirloomsoils dot com. There's a great calculator there for knowing how much to order. You can buy airloom soil stuff by the bag all over town and beyond down. I mean they extensive selection all over the place. Okay, you can buy it by the bulk. You can go get it at the porter location out there at Orange Rocket, Mulch and Porter, or you can have them deliver it to you and dump it on the driveway, or you can have them deliver it to you in the neat clean one Qbyard Supersack. That's right. They just pick this big sack up, set it on your driveway. I've done that before myself. It is neat clean and easy. I love that way. Airloom soils great products, great options, great prices, and most of all, they work. And I tell you that because I use them, I know that they work. Let's go out to Conra now we're going to talk to Carol. Hello, Carol, Welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 22: Hi Skip, I'd listen every weekend. Glad you're there. You're always so upbeat and exciting to listen to. I have a question about coconut core bricks. I see those on the Internet and various places, those brick shaped things you put in water and it expands. Are they the same from location to locations? You have to be careful where you buy them as far as what else is in them, or do they even work? Would you recommend using those probably in a raised bed or even in potted plants?
Speaker 2: All right, good question. As far as I know, they're about the same. Basically, they take coconuts and that shaggy stuff on the outside of coconuts gets stripped off and it gets formulated into the coconut core that we talk about liners for hanging baskets made out of coconut core. You can buy the bricks, or you can buy several different products that have coconut core in them. It's a replacement for peat moss because peat moss is a mine product, and we do know there's not an unlimited supply of peat moss in the world, and so people have been moving away toward a more renewable product like coconut core because your coconuts grow, you got more core, and so it's one that we can use for that. It holds water well, it drains. Okay, you probably would want to use something with it, like a pearlite or a vermiculite if you were going to make a potting mix from the coconut core, but it's up to you. Yes, it works, but however you want to go about it, it'll be fine. It's already been rinsed and washed, so it doesn't have the salt any kind of a salt content or anything in it, and it ought to be fine for whatever you're growing.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, great, thanks all right, Thanks.
Speaker 2: For the call. Appreciate that. Appreciate you being a listener to Guardline. The Nitrofus super Turf, I've been telling you about it for a while. I'm gonna keep telling you about it because all summer long. Nitrofus Superturf is a product to put down. Now, if you haven't fertilized in six weeks with anything like the fast release, like the red Imperial Bag or whatever, you can put it on the Nitrofas superturf. When once you put it down you need it's gonna last. It'll last up to four months out there in the environment. And so we're kind of hitting a point now where putting it down may carry you on through most of the summer and then with the clipping decomposition, you're pretty good shaped there. I'll bet you can apply it a couple times during the summer. Usually I'll want to put it on sometime in April and then probably come back in a little later in the summer and do it again to carry into a fall. But it works, and you can find it in a lot of places. You can find it done in Chenny Forest, in Chanet Gardens down to Richmond, Rosenberg area. If you are near Plantation Ace Hardware, same area on FM three point fifty nine, you're going to find night Foss products there, Court Hardware and Stafford on South Maine. Let's see oh Hiding and feed up on Interstate forty five North area on Steuben or Airline another place you're going to get night Foss products like that super turf and it really does worry. It's easy to find two in the store. Just look for the silver bag Night to Foss Superturf silver bag. All right, let's do this. Let's go now in the Houston area. We're going to talk to Kbob. Hey, Kbob, what's up?
Speaker 11: Hi?
Speaker 19: Good morning. Someone had told me about a Japanese olive tree. Don't know anything about them, but if I put it close to the house, the root system is concerns me. And they tell me that you could throw it into a tree ten and twelve feet high, or you can keep it a bush. Any information on that.
Speaker 2: Japanese are live? Was there any any more information on the tag.
Speaker 19: I'm trying to This wasn't a tag. It was something that somebody has at their house. It looked pretty and they just referred to it as a Japanese olive tree. Now I don't know if it's okay, I'm no Japanese plum trees, but I never heard of Japanese olive trees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to think, well, there's there's olives are native to the Mediterranean area, but olive. Uh, there is a Japanese privet that is in the olive family but is not an olive tree, and.
Speaker 19: That supposedly doesn't grow at a grows fruit, but it's not really alas that it is an edible fruit. So I've been told.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I'm pretty sure you were talking about Japanese privet, that is my guess. Okay. Now, Japanese privet is a plant that we worry about because of invasiveness. It does produce little berries that uh you know, it's a fruit of that plant, but a lot of the a lot of the privets, it's a lugustrum. A lot of the lagustriums and privets and things have the potential for invasiveness, and and we're not real crazy about those.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so they are to the birds where the birds eat the berries. Wherever they poop, they plant a tree. And so I'm I'm not sure which plant you're talking about, because I don't I don't know a plant that we refer to as Japanese olive. Someone out there listening may may call a plant that, But Japanese privet is a possibility. I guess there's also an eliagnous. It's not Japanese though, but uh Eleagnus is uh sometimes referred to as an olive tree because that's what eliagnous means, but it's not a true olive either. Uh So anyway, those are thoughts. I just watch out for them if it's truly a If you go online and do a Google search or however, you search for a Japanese privet and see if that looks like your plant. The only comment I'd have about it is be careful. Those get kind of invasive.
Speaker 19: What about the root system if you're playing close to.
Speaker 2: The house, shrubs don't develop the same size and extensiveness of a root that a tree would, and so I wouldn't worry a lot about it as a foundation thing. But here's the deal with roots around a foundation. Let me just check our time. We're about to run out here. Roots around a foundation, It's not that the root goes under your slab and lifts it up like a root would lift a sidewalk or driveway. It's that the roots suck up all the moisture and so the ground is very wet after a rain with the rain coming off the roof, it's sopping wet. And then when it doesn't rain for a while, the roots are all through that area and they pump the little dry and that wetting and drying creates shrinking and swelling, and that's what does the damage to the foundation. So if you've got a tree or shrub anywhere near the house, they're gonna put roots over there because there's a lot of good water that comes off the house. And so it's not just that they're planted near the house that you're going to have a root issue over there. And that would be the thing I would be concerned about, and not the size of the root. Thank you so much, Well, thank you appreciate your final caller today. So congratulations. I wish we had a door prize, but so we tell it. Thanks a lot, Thanks a lot, Ky Bob, appreciate that. All right, folks, don't forget where am I going to be next Saturday for the final appearance of the Year, Arburgate, Arburgate, Tom Ball, you got to go Arbrogate anyway, I'm going to be there, and I'm told everybody tells me they're going to have a peach Bellini machine. So I'm going to set it to the side a little bit so I don't get run over by you trampling me down trying to get to the peach Balini maschine. Joking aside, You got to come out Arbrogate looks beautiful right now. They have so many plants, as they always do. Bring your friends, let's make a day out of this. They got great gift shops. I'll tell you this, if you got a friend that's not into plants, you bring them to Arbigate. We're gonna fix that because when they see the kinds of plants and the options, next thing you know, you've got a plant buddy. They're gonna be taking cuttings from your house. You gonna have to run them off.