Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBS Constance.
Speaker 2: Well, if you are a student in the Marblehead, Gloucester or Beverly school system, no school tomorrow, now, I'm sure a lot of the kids are cheering. Hey, no school tomorrow and the other day off. Okay, well maybe not all kids, but some. But I'll tell you who's probably not cheering, and that's the parents of the kids in those schools. Because when you think of this sort of social contract that exists between taxpayers and the communities in which they live. One portion of that social contract is the taxpayers pay taxes, primarily real estate taxes in most Massachusetts communities, to support the essential services, which include fire, police EMTs. Your house catches fire, there's a robber coming in your house, someone is choking, or someone is having a metal emergency, you want to think that there'll be a fire truck that pulls up, a police car or some sort of an ambulance. One of the other parts of the social contract is if you have children, or if you live in the community, you support the school system, and school systems in public school systems in Massachusetts are quite expensive compared to many other states around the country. But we pride ourselves on the quality of the public school systems. We have very active teachers unions here in Massachusetts, including the MTA, which are embarked on a very successful ballot initiative this past fall in which they knocked out the MCST tests, the Comprehensive Assessment Survey, and I suspect that we will see the teachers' union becoming more and more active. Right now, there are three communities that tonight are trying to figure out what will their kids do tomorrow in Marblehead, Gloucester, in Beverly because school is out, because the teachers' union is on strike. Now, I'm not particularly interested in trying to negotiate on behalf of the school committees or on behalf of the teachers union. The teachers union always wants more money. That's understandable. That's understandable. However, However, most people view benefits of being a teacher compensating, maybe for not making a million dollars a year. Teachers do not make a million dollars a year. They are highly compensated. In most or in many Massachusetts communities. They make six figures. They work from September to June. They have I would say a fairly ample number of vacation days holidays during the year. They work about one hundred and eighty school days. They have in many respects on the ability to carry over their sick days. They can once called bank days. They have all sorts of parental leave when they have a welcome a child. There are a lot of companies that do not provide parental lead, certainly not paid parental leave. And the teacher unions now are flexing their muscles in Massachusetts, and we will see more more teacher strikes in Massachusetts in the days, in the weeks, and the months and the years ahead. Last winter, there was a nearly three week teacher strike in the city of Newton, and at that time Mayor Ruth Ann Fuller was beside herself because teachers in Newton are very well compensated, and of course eventually the strike was settled. The bottom line is the teachers' union and the teachers are paid through the city by the taxpayers, simple as that. So when there's a teacher strike, besides the inconvenience that inflict on the family and on the students, it also means that at the end of the day, the cost will be incurred by the residents of that particular community. Oh, there's some other revenue streams that come in, but the bulk of the money, the salaries that teachers receive, come from the taxpayers in their respective communities. Now, if you've noticed, and maybe you haven't if you haven't been paying attention, but most often teachers strikes occur at two points during the school year. They either occur when the school year commences in September, or they now occur during the school year. So the teachers striking Newton and end Over, and I think there was wubrin if I'm not mistaken, they occurred during the school year, and you have now three communities up on the north Shore, Beverly, Gloucester and marble Head. I don't want to say that those three strikes are coordinated, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were, because of the geographic proximity of those three communities. So I made a simple proposal last night, and I kind of came to it during the program, and I want to hear if you agree or disagree with me in this. We have a legislature in Massachusetts that does not want to stand up to the teachers' unions. With that we know, okay, the teachers' unions are now one of the most powerful political organizations in Massachusetts. We've invited the head of the teachers' union, the mass Teachers Association, to commit and join us. He's more than welcome any night. His name is Max Page. We'd be more than happy to have him come on and discuss what the teachers' unions really are looking for. If you're interested, go to the Massachusetts Department of Education slash teacher salaries and you can see how much teachers the average teacher in the school system the community in which you live receive. Okay, you'll find that interesting. Make note that the statistics there are from calendar year twenty twenty, twenty twenty one. For those of you paying attention, it is now November of twenty twenty four, so those statistics, those salaries, as generous as they as they appear, are already three years old. So I have a simple solution to avoid what is being inflicted on people, families, students and parents in Marblehead, Gloucester and Beverly, and that is this. Teacher strikes are illegal in Massachusetts, but it doesn't matter. I believe that at least two of the teachers' union should have been in court today. Listening to the various news stations tonight, it didn't appear that those court hearings occurred. And that's often the case. A judge says, you got to be back, we've got to stop this strike by noon on Tuesday. Well, noon on Tuesday comes, and noon on Tuesday and Wednesday comes. Occasionally there's a judge who will stand up to the teachers union, but that's some few and far between. So here's my simple proposal. If let us say a contract, a teacher's contract in any Massachusetts community is to end, they all end on June thirtieth, at the end of the of the school year. So what I would suggest is that the union and the school committees should be informed by the state legislature that one year before the contract is supposed to be renewed, which would be the following September first. So when when the final year of the school contract is about to begin on September first, the previous July in August, the union and the school committee or whoever's the bargaining agent have to spend some time not during the school year but in July and August negotiating. Now, if they can negotiate an agreement a year ahead of time, that's great, much better than negotiating an agreement a year into the contract, which of course makes it possible for them to strike during the year. Now, let's assume that they have. Let's just use as an example. Let's assume that these contracts were due to be renewed on September first of this year, which I think they were. That means that a year ago, in the summer of twenty twenty three, July and August the twenty twenty three, there should have been contract conversations, serious discussions begun. If they completed their negotiations successfully and everybody was happy, which is unlikely because one side will always fight the other, then they start in September. They would have started in this September to the final year of the contract. Okay, so the contract ends. The last year of the contract ends on June thirtieth. On that next summer, the union and the school committee is forced to negotiate, and that negotiation would be overseen by some sort of a mediator or an arbiter, and eventually it would be binding arbitration, which would mean sometime around August fifteenth, the arbiter would say to both the union and to this community, I want your last and final offer, and then the arbiter would decide what the contract will be. Okay, now I know that that would drive the union crazy, it probably would drive the school committee's crazy, but it would force an agreement binding arbitration. So that means that if there would be an incentive built in for both to be more reasonable and if they weren't, if let's say the union said we want ten, twelve and fourteen percent of the next three year contract and the community offered I don't know, you know, two four and six on a three year contract, then it would be after the arbit to decide which it is, and the arbita could go completely for the school committee or go completely for the union. I'll be somewhere in between. That is my humble proposal, because if that proposal was ever adopted by our legislature, it would ensure that there would be no strikes during the school year because one the negotiations would have occurred a year ahead of time, would have begun a here ahead of time, and they would have to have been done in July and August during summer vacation, so the union leaders they would have an incentive to get the negotiations over with, as would the school committee. I think it's a pretty simple idea, and I think that it is one that we should look at very seriously here in Massachusetts. Now, I'm going to open up the phone lines. I'm going to hope that I hear from you. If you agree with me and you think it's a good idea, tell me. If you disagree with me, tell me why. Bottom line is there is a social contract. I'll come back to where I started. This is not the UAW, the Autoworkers of America on the line, This is not Boeing, This is not even radio and TV stations employees. This is a social contract that exists between the community and the teachers. No one has drafted these teachers to become teachers. No one has forced them to become teachers. They have asked and studied to become teachers. There's a lot of benefits to being a teacher. One of them is not you know, million dollar salaries. Now, if you work long enough, if you work thirty years, you can make three four million dollars as a teacher, and you're going to get a really good pension at the end of the day. But your job is to educate kids and not go out and strike during the school year. Six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. I am deadly serious. This is what should be adopted. I'm sure there will be people who will of all sorts of objections. That's fine, let's hear them, let's get them out on the table, and I'm sure there'll be some people out there are going to say that's a pretty good idea. Give me a call. Six one seven, two, five four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. I'm trying to make you think that I don't care what you think. I just want to make sure you're thinking. I thought about this last night. This is what I've come up with. Come up with your own idea, come up, let's but let's talk about it back here on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, when I use the word social contract, I'm using that specifically because there is a contract here that's above and beyond salary. The salaries for teachers in Massachusetts are good, Okay, are good. I've heard about some of the things that are being asked for, like recovery rooms for teachers and stuff. Come on, guys, come on, you picked the profession. Okay. Every job has its pluses and every job has its minuses, and you cannot eliminate every inconvenience, every minus from a job. Sometimes you're going to get a kid in a classroom. It was tough to deal with. I want you to have support on that. But at the same time, you have engaged in a social contract. You have said I want to be a teacher. I want to be a teacher because I want to teach kids, not because I want to walk up picket line. Let's go to the calls. Agree to disagree, that's fine, it's I just want to have a conversation because I think this is going to be soon a very critical subject for people in Massachusetts to look at and consider and actually come to a conclusion. Justin and Marlborough, Justin, thanks for calling in. How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: Welcome in good stings sense to taking back call. I like you, I like your idea and I think the teachers to be grateful, because what annoys me is that it's against the law to strike, and laws don't mean anything in the state. We have an attorney general that was hard to say it's not illegal to be illegal. I mean, it's amazing to me. And what happened in Franklin back in the nineteen seventies, this would solve all our problems. They invested to teach.
Speaker 2: Refreshed my recollection. What happened to Franklin.
Speaker 3: Justin the Franklin teachers, I think it was very nineteen seventy eight went on strike and my neighbor was a state trooper and his wife was a teacher, and they made the front page of the Boston New Boston Globe because he arrested her and they spent a week in jail. They got strip searched. Trust me, the Franklin teachers never went on strike again.
Speaker 2: Wow, was his wife the head of the union.
Speaker 3: No, I don't as soon as soon as a junior high math teacher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, normally, very rarely did our teachers put in jail because they all were a contempt here. I didn't realize they were all put in jail. I gotta go back to check. I know, well it is illegal. But what happens is the judgment committed. The judge will say, look to the union leaders, if you don't order your teachers back to work by tomorrow at eight o'clock, we're gonna find you ten thousand dollars a day, and if you don't come back the next day, the final will be double the twenty thousand. Then it will be double to forty thousand. So what happens is sometimes when they finally do settle, the judge will say, okay, you have settled. We're going to cut the fines back to ten thousand dollars and that'll be paid by the Massachusetts Teachers Association, and of course it'll eventually be recaptured in the dues from the from the teachers, because the dues are going to go up. And everybody kind of figures it's a wash, but it's just not fair. The people who are victimized here are the kids and the parents of kids. Most parents work during the day, you know, particularly if the kids are older, maybe they have a babysitter but lined up, or what happens if if they don't have a babysitter lined up during the school day because they assume that kids are going to be in school. What do they do for their job? It's it's it's nothing.
Speaker 3: And none of the teachers in Newton looked stressed or worried when they were on stress. They didn't have the wory of getting arrested. They didn't having fun.
Speaker 2: Oh it's like it's well, I don't think they enjoyed being outside in the middle of January. But putting that aside, yeah, it was, uh, it was kind of a party atmosphere. So that's yeah, that's something that I think is troubling. I really do think it's troubling, and I think that I think that my proposal is one that the legislatures should consider because I think this teacher strike thing is only going to get worser in Massachusetts as time goes on.
Speaker 3: Justin, I hope you listen to you, Dan. I look forward to seeing the dan Way.
Speaker 2: Teacher. Yeah, the the the teachers strike law. We'll see. Thanks, talk to you soon. Have a great night. Good I okay, all right, So that opens up one line at six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. When we get back, I got Claudette, I got Bill, and I got some room for you at six one, seven nine. I'm making a very serious proposal. I hope that someone in the legislature's listening and says, hey, this is something. All this is doing insane to teachers unions. Look, start your negotiation a year in advance. If so happens that you come to an agreement, that's great, that provides continuity of school. If you don't get together on an agreement a year in advance, then the summer before you got to go back to school without a contract. I don't want teachers going back to school without a contract. You got to have a negotiation. And it's only in July and August, okay, and on August fifteenth. If you haven't come to an agreement, if everything hasn't been decided, if everything hasn't been decided, then you are going to submit to the to the arbiter or the mediator, you know, be compulsory or compulsory arbitration, compulsory mediation, and they will decide. So it's the same way that goes on in professional sports when a player and a team kind of agree, depending upon the situation. Sometimes they say to a player, go ahead, go find somewhere else. You can't do that with teachers. You can't do it with teachers. But we got to do something that's going to change the dynamic and stop the teacher strikes for the sake for truly, for the sake of the students, and for the sake of the parents and the families of the students. I firmly believe in what I'm saying. I hope you'll agree or disagree. I don't care which, but I'd love to hear from you coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm telling you Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, back we go. Let me go to Claude Dette, who is joining us tonight from New Bedford. Claude ed welcome to Nightside. How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm fine? Thank you yourself.
Speaker 2: Doing just great. I don't know that I've ever had the pleasure of you calling my show. Is this your first time calling?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: A first time call?
Speaker 2: Well, you're going to get you a role of a posse of my digital studio audience. You go right ahead. What's your thought on this?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: I am a former teacher. I've not since retired, but in New Bedford and nineteen sixty eight, we were the first ones to go on strike, and people were arrested and they went to jail. And this was done the teacher beginning of the school year.
Speaker 2: No, let me ask you, was it the teachers or the leadership? Did they arrest teachers? Just teachers as well as the school.
Speaker 4: They arrested teachers the I think they did direst some administrators, but they had to separate after that.
Speaker 2: They had no What I meant was normally what I've seen happen is that they have. When I was a reporter and TV clad, they would order the union leaders to tell the union to go back to work, and then they would threaten the union leaders with prison. Justin talked about teachers being arrested in Framingham. I you know, again, I'm not interested in seeing teachers being arrested. I don't think that's a good thing. Did you think about my idea about forcing them to have the negotiations? Seems to me like they always wait till they've been working without a contract for six months, and I just think that's dumb. Get it done early.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: True, I agree with you on that most certainly. Getting back to the new Bedford situation, the strike occurred prior to the beginning of the school year, so that was pretty good. But I'm curious, as do the teachers in those areas around Boston. Do they get their health insurance from the school department? Are they given that?
Speaker 2: Yes, I believe every teacher in Massachusetts gets their health insurance. I'm sure that is a part of the contract negotiation, and they should get their health insurance from the community.
Speaker 4: Well, right, I guess they do it in New Bedford now, But I remember I paid my own health insurance.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, things have gotten better for teachers unions, as they should have, but I think we've reached a tipping point when the teachers' unions they most teachers in Massachusetts, even in the smallest communities, are making you know, on average, eighty thousand dollars, okay, and in a lot of communities they're making one hundred thousand dollars, a salary that you can't even you would not have even talked about. Obviously, the economy is different today. You couldn't live today on what you were paid when you were a teacher. So I don't mind seeing teachers having competitive salaries. I mean I would support that.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: I retired in two thousand and three, and I was on maximum pay for my step increase was fifty six thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again back twenty years ago, that was a pretty decent salary. You weren't going to become a millionaire, but that was a decent salary. When I graduated from college, which was, you know, in the last century, I actually was. I was an English major before I went to law school, and I had a minor teaching certificate. And at that time, teachers, this was in the nineteen seventies, you could look forward to making maybe twenty thousand dollars as a starting teacher, and I thought to myself, Wow, twenty thousand dollars over career thirty years, that's going to be six hundred thousand dollars. Obviously, salaries have increased across the board since then as well they should. But teachers now, on average in Massachusetts, you know, there are exceptions, but you can look at the Department of Education statistics can eighty ninety thousand dollars on average. Now, starting teachers make less, experienced teachers make more, but on average eighty ninety thousand dollars, and many teachers now make in excess of one hundred thousand dollars, which is fine. I don't have a problem with that, but I think that those salaries should be decided in advance of a school year and the teacher should not use the students as leverage. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And I have another question. Are these teachers being paid while they're on strike?
Speaker 3: Are they drawing?
Speaker 2: Well, no, I think that in one of the communities, I think it was marvel Head, the teachers have been told they will not be paid during while they're on strike. But what happens is when they finally come to an agreement, the union will say to the school committee, look, we want you to give us back pay for the one week or if we run strike. In the school committee at that point, well, we'll go ahead and pay them because that money was budgeted. So that's what that's generally what happens in the situation. In situation likeage, the school committee as part of the agreement. You know, at that point we're all singing Kumbai yah and the glad that the strike is over. So the union has all the leverage here in my opinion. In my opinion, Claudette, thank you for what you did as a teacher. I'm sure that you have a lot of pride in the young men and women who you run into today at the grocery store or on the street, and they'll say, hey, how are you remember me? I was a student of yours.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that happens all the time. Let me say you one thing, if you became if you became an English teacher, yep, you would be working long hours every day, correcting essays and everything else. English teachers had it the worst. I mean when you know people are saying, oh, the only work six hours a day now because you've got to bring home all your correction and all this other stuff and you have to do your lesson plans.
Speaker 3: Do you know what?
Speaker 2: Do you know what time I start to work every day? I do a show from eight to midnight. What time do you think I start working every day? Oh?
Speaker 4: I don't have no idea.
Speaker 2: Nine o'clock in the morning. I'm on the phone at nine o'clock in the morning with my producer Marita uh, and we're going over, Okay, what are we thinking about? You know what, what are the possible issues we can talk about tonight? Okay. So and again I do it because I like it. Do I have to do it? No, I could quit tomorrow if I wanted to. But I like my job and I enjoy conversing with people like yourself and learning from you and learning from Justin and Marlborough from different different experiences. For me, that's the best part of the day when I get a chance to talk with you. But during the day it can be agonizing. What what stories are we going to cover? What are we going to do? Are people going to be interested in this? You know, I'm not getting overwhelmed with phone calls on this topic, but I'm sticking with it because I think it's an incredibly important topic, not only for the Comwalth of Massachusetts. It's important for the teachers' unions. It's important for the students, and it's important for the parents. This is not the sexiest topic in the world to talk about, Claudette, but I'm.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know, I'm.
Speaker 2: Committed to doing it, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that you would take the time to call and share your experience and thank you for the job.
Speaker 4: Okay, sir, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Dan, You're very welcome. Hope to hear from me again. Thanks. Thanks claud thank you very much. Maybe I hope so looking forward to your second call. No applause in the second call, but you got the applause tonight, Thanks Claude.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you, good night, six.
Speaker 2: Seven, good night six one seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. I'm going to talk about this till ten o'clock. Okay, Bill and Natick awaits on the other side. And if you don't think this is an important subject, you're not thinking. And if you're not thinking, you shouldn't be listening to Night Side, because that's what my job is is to make you think. I don't care what you think. I mean, you know, I care what you think, but I just want you to think think about this. This is a proposal that I think is important, not because I came up with it, but it is a reform that we could consider here in Massachusetts which might make life easier for parents, for students, and for teachers. The union won't support this, I guarantee you that. I guarantee you that, but if teachers think about it, they'll realize this will make their lives easier and it'll make their students' lives better. And that's what I think. Good teachers are all about. Will be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Place Side Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Next is Bill and Natick. Bill, I appreciate you holding on you Next on Nightside, go right ahead.
Speaker 6: Well, I was a pleasure talk to you.
Speaker 5: My background is I've never been a teacher, and I wouldn't want to be one. However, I am an elected town meeting member. My neighbors wrote my name in without telling me, and they've re elected me for forty seven years. But I just want to say that I'm not surprised that I agree with you on your plan. I agree with many of the things you've said over the years. But what strikes me in particular about these three towns I would like information. I would like to know when either side first requested to Bogging about the contract. You know, was it at the end of the school year or was it beforehand?
Speaker 6: The other thing that, yeah, Bill.
Speaker 2: Hold of a second, I don't have an answer to that question, but I will tell you I think that human nature, you tend to put the things off, you know. I don't care if it's doctor's appointments or dentist appointments, or you've got to go to the store. I think people we tend to kind of, Oh, the Patriots game is on, I'll watch them, you know, That's all I'm saying. And I think that the proposal I'm making would force them. You know, in professional sports, if you're a professional athlete, the team has to offer you a contract by a certain data you become a free agent. They you know, they got to make a decision, and then you've got to decide by a certain date if you want to accept that offer or not. There are there are there were rules and regulations imposed because if you did that, the Red Sox would open the season in April and half the team would be minor league Baseball players and the lot of the guys would be sitting sitting at home waiting for a contract offer. It'say, now, no, I'm just no, no, but I just they were just say, you're joking here, but you want to see your best players on the field on opening day. Same way with the Patriots. You know, they got to report the camp by a certain date, and if they don't report the camp by a certain date, they get fot. I mean, it just makes common sense is what I'm truly trying to say, And so that's.
Speaker 5: I agree with you wholeheartedly. But one of the things that strikes me about this situation is I would consider a teacher strike an emergency, wouldn't you?
Speaker 2: Yes? I would.
Speaker 5: Yes, if I was a school community member and I say, well, we want to buy it first thing in the morning, at nine o'clock, or if these two towns didsa at nine o'clock and ten o'clock. One of the towns says, no, we can't get together at three o'clock.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the time to begin the bargaining would have been months ago. They should because.
Speaker 5: Now we have an emergency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it. No, I get it. I totally get it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So that makes me suspect a little bit more. I always want the facts, and I agree with you. I think your plan is a way to go, and I wish we could all adopt it.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see, I wish I had more people responding to the call tonight. But that's okay.
Speaker 5: This is one that this is a shortness I've ever waited. I've called it times over the years, but most times I can't wait.
Speaker 2: But no, I just say that and I do appreciate. But I what I'm saying is that this is one that makes people think. And I don't know. I I'm not going to put the same show on the radio every night. I mean, I'm I spend time during the day trying to come up with even if it's the same subject, I want to get a different angle on it.
Speaker 5: I want to get a different And you do a good job, you know.
Speaker 2: So well, whatever, and I'll do it as long as I can. And when when my time is up, you'll have another talk show host.
Speaker 5: Who maybe I'm in real estate, do a lot of rentals and I'll be eighty next year. But you know, I'm going to do it as long as I can.
Speaker 2: You got it all right, because you like the job. That's what it comes down to. Bill. Appreciate your call very much.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Okay, you for being man.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Good night. Let me go to Mike and Lynn. Mike your next time nights. I appreciate you calling in.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Mike, Hey, mister Dan, how are you doing today.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. Go ahead, Mike. What's what's your take on this?
Speaker 6: Mike taking this? I do agree with the teachers Per's good people. And if you do the math, ninety percent of the workforce they are women and they are good people. I gotta tell you this story. In two thousand and two, I was a single father living in North Quincy. Now I live in Land, and I will remember always missus Lyon. My daughter was going to PMS. I didn't know what PMS is, and she helped me and she used to check on me every Saturday. So ninety or one hundred percent of all the teachers there are women, and there are good people, and they deserve the best.
Speaker 2: So the question, though, is this, This is the question. I don't disagree with you, okay. As matter of fact, I think teachers become teachers all the right reasons. Now I do think that some teachers get burned out, but that's a story for another day. It just seems to me that once the school year starts, the contract should be in place. The teachers should be satisfied, they should know what they're receiving. How would you like to be a parent. You said you were the parent of a daughter, single dad, How would you like to have been I assume you probably were working and your daughter went off to school, and you went off to work and the difficult set of circumstances. I get it. How would you like to have seen the Quincy teachers you and you go out and strike? How would you be able to take care of your daughter during the day and still go to work. You couldn't do both things simultaneously, right.
Speaker 3: I couldn't do both.
Speaker 6: But I agree with them, and the reason why I think because they have three months off in the year and they getting paid. They don't getting paid enough. They can even afford to have a house. They have to have that or boyfriend so they can make cup four expensive?
Speaker 2: How much? Let me ask you this. You live in Lynn, right, do you own a house in Linn?
Speaker 6: I own a house in Line A play and I guess you pay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you pay your your taxes. I understand that. What do you think the average teacher makes in Linn?
Speaker 6: You know, in the Linn publics fifty sixty five Maybe if they're lucky, ninety thousands, but I don't think so. To be honest with you.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to tell you what they make. Okay. In I'm looking at the state reports here from uh this is twenty and twenty to twenty twenty one. So these are the latest numbers they have. Okay, the latest numbers that we have is from twenty twenty one. The average salary in Lind, the average salary in Linn four years ago eighty two, one hundred and sixty two dollars. That's not a bad salary four years So.
Speaker 6: You've got to you've gotta have to keep in mind the expenses. They have a lot of expenses. They have children, They have kids, they have a house.
Speaker 2: Shure they do. How much should they? How much should the how much? Then? If if the teachers salary, average teacher salary is eighty two thousand dollars four years ago in Lind, it's probably about ninety five thousand dollars today. But let's assume it's ninety how much should teachers in Lind What should the average salary be? Give me a number, I.
Speaker 6: Will say, honestly, not only in Lint, No, I'm talking about in Lind one twenty one.
Speaker 2: Hundred twenty Okay, good luck with that.
Speaker 3: You're you.
Speaker 2: I hope you you realize that you'll be paying for that, so your real estate taxes will go up dramatically. And I think you're a better person than I am to think that the teachers should be, on an average receiving that.
Speaker 6: Much money because you know, you know the reason why, the reason why they go to work every single day, and they too kids.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna put up with callers. Hey, Mike, I hate to do this to you, but I'm flat out of time. Have you called before since your first time calling?
Speaker 6: This is my first time calling.
Speaker 2: I gotta give you a bun and a clause and I'm looking forward to your calling back. You a great caller. Thank you, Mike. I appreciate it very much. We had done with this topic. Sadly, we will change topics right after the ten o'clock news Here at night Side