Speaker 1: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today.
Speaker 3: Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 4: Ri?
Speaker 3: Sorry we're here.
Speaker 4: We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 5: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than any guess registered in l case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details. With the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table upright, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 2: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: Lucky in line at the deli, I.
Speaker 5: Guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 4: Actually do I have to say? Yes?
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 5: In the car before my kids pta meeting?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Excuse me?
Speaker 2: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 4: I never win?
Speaker 3: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 5: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 2: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: We're just necessary for we Where're gonna be my long eighteen plus terms conditions of plus see what's every details?
Speaker 5: It is Ryan here? And I have a question for you? What do you do when you win?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: Are you at fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapp or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait. Start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: The bilbertesif their idiomby by lost in terms conditions eighting pluss.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski, Good Evening. In nineteen ninety seven, the bodies of young African American men began turning up in the cane fields of New Orleans suburbs. The victims, many of them trans and street hustlers, had been brutally raped and strangled, leaving Louisiana's gay community rattled. When no leads were found and the murders continued, detectives Denis Thornton and Don Bergeron came together as a task force partners and were in indefigatable in their decade long effort to track down the killer. In two thousand and six, DNA evidence finally linked the murderers to a suspect, the unassuming Ronald Joseph Dominique, who had lived under the radar for years working as a pizza delivery man and a meter reader. But who was he and what had led him to commit such heinous crimes. With direct access to the investigation, Dominique's confession and all the sights where bodies were dumped, author Fred Rosen enters the warped mind of the murderer, providing horrifying and fascinating account of his troubled, disturbing, broke in life and his brutal crimes. The book we're featuring the season is The Bayou Strangler, Louisiana's Most Gruesome serial Killer, with my special guest, journalist and author Fred Rosen. Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much again for joining us on True Murder. Welcome Fred Rosen, Dan, it.
Speaker 4: Is always a distinct pleasure to be on with you, especially today when Justin Trudeau met with Donald Trump.
Speaker 7: Wow. I won't even go there, Fred, going there? Okay ah, that's all politics. We have to get to business of murder. Yes, sir, Thank you very much Fred for joining me with this your latest release, The bay You Strangler, Louisiana's most gruesome serial Killer, and incredible as you as you note the choice of victims means that many man, many people. Most people don't know who this is. But thanks to Fred Rosen and the Bayou Strangler, we're going to get to hear about it tonight. What brought you to this story, Fred, before we get started.
Speaker 4: What brought what brought me to the story Dan back in late two thousand and eight, when Dominic was finally sentenced, was the fact that I didn't know anything about it. I went, excuse me, this guy killed twenty three men and it's not in the press. It's not in the media. I was astonished. I just I couldn't get over it. And so I said, well, you know, I got to find out what's going on here.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: As you take us to New Orleans and New Orleans Parish October third, nineteen ninety eight, and you called the Nabors but the Quarter, and you talk to just we just introduce Ronald Joseph Dominique, this five foot, five hundred and sixty pounds, thirty six years old, and you talk a little bit about him before we talk about Oliver Lebanks, who's twenty seven years old. And again this parish and a gay bar called the Rawhide. You take us right away to this incredible incident and interaction and these people colliding. So tell us a little bit about how you open up and start this incredible story in Orleans Parish, October third, nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 4: Well, I started it there because Rominique was very, very eloquent in describing the individuals that he killed when they subsequently got him, and I was fascinated by the the m o basically what he would do. What he did was he he just went into the quarters, as he called it, the French Quarter, and he's a he's a game man, and he was looking for a guy to have sex with. But at the same time he had something really wrong with him that made him get extremely violent with these individuals. And the the mo o that he uses, which is to say to a guy in a bar and you know, and in this case it's a gay bar, he'd say to the guy, well, you know, I'm interested in, you know, doing this sexual act or that sexual act, and then they would agree on a price. And then what happens is he the he and and and his victim left the bar and they start walking through the through the French Quarter. Do they walk right by Jean Lafitte's black blacksmith shop Lafitte, of course, with the pirate atriot who helped defend America from the British during the War of eighteen twelve in eighteen fourteen, and he takes him to his car and they start doing you know, sexual stuff. And then the next thing you know, Dominique gets really angry because the guy is trying to do anal sex with him, and for various reasons, he doesn't want this, and that's the point, at least that's what he will subsequently tell please that he just loses it. But the fact is he went, well, they're doing this in the car. Dominique has like a jack candle under the seat, so he's already ready to do something, and that's exactly what he does. He takes the jackcandle, he hits the guy in the head, and he kills him. But the interesting part about this individual is that rather than dump the body someplace where people won't find it, which is what most murderers I think would do, he decides he's going to do it in public. And he's got all kinds of reasons for doing this, and so he rides around the airport with this body in the back seat and what I did, Dan was I drove exactly the same route so I could describe it in a book for the reader. So you know, I want you know, you got to see this stuff, you know what I mean? And you know you got to breed when you're writing. You know this, when you're writing true crime, you got to breathe the same air as the bad guy because then you get it, you get the feeling for it. And just doing that really gave me an appreciation for how this guy was able to do what he did for so many years.
Speaker 7: You talk about, just to elaborate a little bit, it's not only that he had places he could dump these bodies, but rather he wanted these bodies to be found. But this is the value where decomposition is quick and alligators can do your job like nobody else in terms of destroying forensic evidence. Isn't that true?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yes. One of the things that I discovered years ago on some other books is that when you if you dump a body. Number one, if you dump a body in warm water, it's going to decompose, and it's sort of sense of it. You know, it's going to decompose that much quicker. My god, if you dump it in a by you, the alligators would get rid of it and there'd be no evidence, not dominate. He wanted the body to be found because of his inferiority complex, and he wanted the body to be found, and so he would search out a place where he could dump the body without anybody seeing him. But it was still in public, next to a throughway or a freeway or road, whatever it might be. And that's what he does. And in this particular case and in all the other cases of the other twenty two men that he kills, you.
Speaker 7: Talk about the next day and by sees the body, like you say, below the freeway ramp and calls police. He's dumped in Jefferson County. So Detective Dennis Thornton, from one of the mental figures in this book, he is. And you also talk about this New Orleans metro area and it's per capita homicide rate. Tell us a little bit about that. And as you do introduce who this Dennis Thornton, Detective Dennis Thornton is.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, the New Orleans has the highest per capita murder rate of any place in the United States of America. And that's to begin with. So one more body, you know, more or less is not going to make much of a difference except to two relatives. And if you're lucky enough, are concerned. The detective and Thornton, Dennis Thornton is unique. He is he is a detective and now he's actually a captain. But back then, you know, he was a you know, detective and with a degree in criminal master's degree in criminal justice. So you've got a guy who's got street smarts, academic smarts, and most importantly he has he's blind to what the the profession is of the victim. A victim is a victim. He doesn't care whether the victim is a male prostitute, a female prostitute, or any you know, or anything of that nature. And he doesn't care if the victim is gay or straight. Oly knows is it's a victim. And quite frankly, that's pretty unique in my experience with the police departments that I've worked with, because in most cases when prostitutes are killed, the police departments don't knock themselves out because these aren't tax paying citizens. Dan, you know what. But when you once in a while you get a cop like this one and he doesn't care, you know, only knows is that one of the ten commandments has been violated and he's going to go after the guy as long as it takes.
Speaker 7: Now you talk about that, he doesn't realize. But this is not this killer's first kill. Yes, And so you go through the people that were first seen. The first victims was David Mitchell nineteen. And what you also mentioned he is not only does he not care about age, he doesn't care about profession. As we'll see in this story, which is again even more unique, he doesn't care about race.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, you know that that's a great point. Yeah, because you know, I certainly concentrated more on the on the sexuality situation, but no, he does not care about race at all. And look, I'm not going to tar and feather every police officer in the Southern United States. But the fact of the matter is there are many bigots in the United States. Many of them are in the Southern States, and some of them are police officers. And I'm not saying anything here that hasn't been said before. But the uniqueness of this story is that the first on the case is nothing like this. And that's what got me. In contrast to the fact that our media wouldn't cover it.
Speaker 7: Well, those are issues we could debate all night and day in terms of, you know, certain segment of society and are more some people in some states, But for this purpose when what we do get to see is an extraordinary effort by an extraordinary officer. And that's what's incredibly interesting because we haven't met the other central figure in this book as well, and again just right out of central casting. So let's get to David Mitchell nineteen. He's last seen on July thirteenth, nineteen ninety seven in another parish, Saint Charles Parish, and Dominique say is living nearby in boot Or, but I'm not sure the pronunciation. So tell us tell us how this is found. And we didn't mention exactly what police in the condition of the body. And again this is something that we'll talk of mo and signature. What do they find in terms of David Mitchell and what did they find before that with Lee Banks in terms of what police find at the scene, Well, what.
Speaker 4: The police find is there's a constant consistent in in this case, and what they find in every single instance is that these are what cops call body dump jobs. The individual is murdered over here and then transport it over there and dumped in public. And they find what is consistent is the individual is strangled. Uh, there might be a certain element of suffocation if that didn't work enough, you know, if the if the strangling didn't work enough, and uh and and and it can't and it can also be bludgeoning. But the it is a very consistent m O. Now, the difficulty is what profilers whole linkage? How do you link Okay, how do you link a a murder in one parish? And of course this is in Louisiana has a unique system. It's a county. Parish is a county, So how do you link it from over here to over there? This is this is not an easy thing to do. And today we we have more sophisticated methods uh of geographic profile. But they didn't employ that year. All they knew was the body is dumb, the dude is suffocated, and blah blah blah, and we'll see what we can find out. That's pretty much it. You know, it doesn't get any you know, it doesn't. Again, it's a question of making that linkage, and that's going to take quite some time.
Speaker 7: Now, we're talking about an error at least where DNA cognizance and aware of and advancements in DNA testing and technology. What evidence of any hair fiber souvenirs taken robbery motive? What evidence was left at that crime scene?
Speaker 4: Well, the only thing that police, if the only evidence that they would be lucky enough to get, would be mitochondrial DNA, which is not an absolute. Uh Mitochondrial DNA is a essentially a partial identification. It's not as as conclusive as as the other kind of DNA. The name, the name of the scientific name escapes me at the moment. But uh so, this wasn't a situation where the DNA would necessarily lead to the to the capture of the bad guy. And of course you've got to have a bad guy. You gotta you know guy, you know, and you know, there's a few TV series that get it right that when you're going to do something of that nature, you've got to get a if you get the guy in custody, you've got to get yourself a search warrant. In the United States to do that sort of thing, it's not an easy thing to get, you know, And so the police have constitutional restrictions essentially until they can show that there's a reason to get the DNA from whoever the bad guy might be. But again we go back to the same thing. It doesn't do any good to you know, you can get the DNA off the body, but if you have nothing to compare it to, what good does it do. You've got to have yourself a you know, you've got to have yourself a suspect, and that is not happening. There is no suspect. And Dominique is a really smart guy, very feral, as many serial killers or as you know and the listeners know. And he moves from living in the New Orleans area back to go back home to home of Louisiana, which is South. Well, that complicates the matter because now he's going through another half a dozen powershes how he you know, how are you going to link something like that? Again, the only way you could link it would be you'd really have to have a geographic profiler in the case. And that is a that is a that is a very um uh oh courant a method of profiling. You know, people have got to forget what they see on a TV show like Criminal Minds. That's a bunch of crap. You know what I mean, Dan, It's it's all crap. I mean the FBI's Behavioral Science uh division serial killers, So unlike the these dudes, Uh they they advise police officers by and large, and a lot of the time they're wrong. So essentially, when you're trying to track down a serial killer, as in this case, it's a it's it's the old fashioned method of shoe leather and and and investigation. It's that's the way it is.
Speaker 7: You talk about Dennis Thornton because he's the first person on these cases, and what he notices that there are some tire tire marks made and he also noticed and and thinks that this is quite important is the ligature marks on the wrists, and he notices how the wrists are tied. And his conclusion is tell us what his conclusion is in terms of this early again, despite all the FBI profile that you say is cookie cutter and they end up being cookie cutter. What does Dennis Thornton, this really really dedicated cop, what does he come up with in this early assessment of the ligatures on the wrists.
Speaker 4: Well, he certainly feels that the ligatures are indicative of the individual being restrained, which of course makes it easier for the bad guy to commit the crime. It also becomes what is known as signature behavior, the thing that one of the things that makes a serial killer unique. And of course that sort of detail is known only to the investigating officer, which they can use later on if they get lucky enough to get the bad guy into an interrogation room. And the literature marks are are of course extremely important, and they they also determine that again, the the you know when you when you strangle somebody, it's pretty interesting. What happens is blood vessel, blood vessels burst in the eye. Got to say that slowly, it almost rhymes. And you might also have uh in this situation, the hyoid bone in the throat might be broken. So Dennis is really paying attention to this stuff. I mean, he's really he's really I mentioned in the book, I said, he's really being my I mentioned my Croff Holmes, who is Sherlock Holmes's older brother. And he's really being a true detective. And I also want to just point out that this is not usual. We'd like to believe that every police, every detective, is capable of this. Uh. Huh, that's not the case. If that was the case, we're not having this conversation because he would dominic would have been caught a lot earlier on some of the other parachutes. But it's because of Thornton's observations of the signature behavior, of the ligature marks of the way the individuals are murdered that he begins to understand not only you know, what the mo is of this guy and how he does it. And I think, and I'll just tell you that one of the things that I had a learning curve on Dan on this one was, you know, these guys that Dominie picked on, many of them were in very good shape. I mean, these were, you know, strong individuals, but he was able to use He actually was a lot stronger physically than he looked. So once he got the guy under him, he could use his weight to keep the guy there, tie him up to whatever he wanted to do with the guys. I mean, thank god, he didn't torture or anything like that, you know what I mean. I mean, that wasn't his thing. That wasn't his thing. He had some.
Speaker 7: Other things in mind, right, you talk about in your book. Because we got to go through a little bit of this incredible body count in terms of we talked about David Bitchell, it was nineteen years old, was on last scene on July thirteenth, ninety seven, But then we have five months later Gary Pierre, twenty years old in Saint Charles Parrish, and then seven months later Larry Larry Ranson, who was again again dominique changes victim of choice in terms of age. And you also point out that these bodies are dumped close together, so Thornton really has his hands filled on trying to understand this mentality of this guy that seems to be taunting police, not only leaving the bodies to be discovered, but now going back to a familiar dumping site, and the FBI, like you say, comes in, but it's not really doing anything at that time. You talk about how though, after Lebanks that things accelerate and he's not waiting as long. Fifteen days after Lebanks is Joseph Brown, who's sixteen years old, and one month later Williams, a young man named Williams. Now yes, at what point? And then you talk about Manuel Reid found twenty one years old, found May nineteen ninety nine. Then Angel Megia, June thirtieth, nineteen ninety nine. So what does Thornton think? How much are this? Is the state disturbed by this or are they What is the progress of this investigation? Tell us a little bit about what the status is around this time with this many victims.
Speaker 4: It's really sad, actually, now that you mention it, there is no status. I mean, they're not making Thornton is during the best that he can within his parish, and if you hear us about a similar killing in another parish, will put it together. Certainly means he's going to hear about all the killings that are happening. And as far as the state is concerned, they don't care. Like I said, these are not tax paying citizens. Most of them are. Most of these individuals are gay. And I might add I somebody pointed this out to me, a friend of mine, Jim Seely afterwards, that some of these individuals could also have been bisexual, you know, but the state is not. And and again I wouldn't be critical of the State of Louisiana on this one because they're not putting it together. If you have a you know, they're not putting it together. If you've got a body that's you know, dumped over here, and then there's one over here. They don't, you know, it's not like it's not like, uh, you know, Morisco Pargeta is sitting there reading all of the uh, you know, all of the bulletins that are coming in from all over the place, you know what I mean. And and so Dennis is of course puzzled by this. And and we all know that serial killers have quote unquote cooling off periods and where they don't do anything. In the Dominiqu's case, in some of those cooling off periods, he gets a little bit in trouble with the cops for some minor stuff, which again is fairly difficult for serial killers. But as far as the state putting it together, uh, the state is not at this point in time by the late nineties, they're not interested. They're really you know, they're not interested. Nobody's put it together yet.
Speaker 7: You talk about in ninety nine though, the media gets involved and puts out a again inaccurate account with calling it the shoeless shoeless body could be could be work of a serial killer. And as a result, you talk about you talk about this this killer feeling the heat and moving to Homa again, this is fifty eight miles only southeast of New Orleans. There is a sketch there's.
Speaker 4: Dan did that the fifty eight or did I put it in the book? I don't remember you put it in the book.
Speaker 7: Fifty eight miles?
Speaker 4: He thank God for Google maps. Keep going.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you talk about in ninety nine the New Orleans Times published a sketch and shortly after Dominique quit his job and drove his trailer to Homa. Which is who is he staying with in Homer there? And oh boy, and we're talking about another parish. And that's where we introduce this the main character in your book again, another heroic figure, Detective Don Bergeron. So tell us about his decision to move to somewhere else. Yeah, introduced Don.
Speaker 4: Great question. It isn't okay. Dominique has never commented about why he made that move, but I think it's pretty clear that since the murders will beginning to get some attention, and as you point out, they called a couple of bodies showed up shoeless, and that turned out to be that wasn't signature behavior. It was just what happened. And though the idea you know that the title the Shoeless serial Killer sounds pretty good. Not as good as so Sam, but she was a serial killer. So anyway, he decides that he's going to take his uh. He's got himself a motor home, and he's got himself a uh he's got like a car that he uses to pick up the victims. And so what he does is he hitches he hitches one up to the other and goes south. And I believe that the reason he did that is because he was getting a little bit too hot for him in New Orleans, no pun intended. And he goes back to Homer and he moves he well, he doesn't move in, but he's in the what he pulled the driveway or the back, you know, the driveway of his sister, who lives in a neighborhood called by you Blue, and individuals who live in the in these areas are known by that names. In other words, if you live in the by your Blue neighborhood, you're by your blue man. If you live in a buy you blue you know red neighborhood, you're known as by you blue red, whatever it might be. So he moves, he moves in with the sister. And what's really interesting again about motivation, you know, which is what everybody wants to know about, is that he has faced Dominique has faced an incredible amount of discrimination. I don't know if discrimination is the right word. Ridicule, ridicule for being dead and from his family, but he seems to have a pretty good relationship with a sister, and so that's why he goes there. But I think it's very the cultural differences are very important in this story because if this was a gay individual growing up in San Francisco, for example, or New York City, I don't think we'd have this conversation because the individual would have been more accepted. But you're talking about a place where a lot of individuals are not many of them are not well educated. And Dan, if I may, I'd just like to tell you that what I did when I went to the town to start, you know, to Homa. Interrupt me at any point, because I just go on and on. But I went to Homa, Dan, And you know, I'm a huge fan of Westerns. So in Westerns, people will you know you wanted Marshall wants information, goes into the saloon. So I went into a local bar Dan you know, And I asked, I asked around when I went there to investigate this case, and I went, everybody knows Bernald J. Dominic. No, they're no. I looked at him like they were crazy. How do you kill twenty three people, most of them in your parish. You never heard of them? And of course only Fred Rosen. This was two thousand and nine when I was doing this, and Barack Obama had just been elected, and of course Louisiana was not a state that voted for the president. So of course after they these individuals said they'd never heard of him, and I knew they were lying. I said, gee, what do you think of Barack Obama? Gee? That was not the smartest thing to do. I was lucky I didn't get a fight.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 4: But but but thing is from there after I left that bar, and it was during the day, so I don't even know if I had a you know, I probably had a cup of coffee. Alant this rinked before five. This this despite what Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett sent about. And so I went to see Don Berger on and that opened up all kinds of doors.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, you also talked about at this time in nineteen ninety nine, Michael Right el Visent vanishes New Year's Eve nineteen ninety nine. Body found next day dumped on a barbed wire fence marks wrisk And then you say that, and you say, and we're gonna stop for a break, just for a second. But suddenly the killing stop for two years. And at the same time, we've got the BTK killer in Kansas. He usus as an opportunity Fred to talk about our sponsor for this program today, brook Linen. Now, recently my wife Lisa and I received our set of brook Linen Queen size sheets, pillowcases and Devey cover. The set was called locks, which is short for luxurious, and that is what these sheets are definitely even just the feel of them and the look of them. And Lisa was impressed with the envelope style pillowcase. She said that was very unique. Now you spend a third of your life in your sheets. With brook Linen dot com, you can get the high quality sheets and betting you deserve at a price that won't keep you up at night. Most high end betting is marked up by more than three hundred percent by the time it reaches the store. Brooklynen makes quality luxury sheets and betting accessible to everyone. Brooklyn was founded in two thousand and fourteen by husband and wife team Vicki and Rich Pullop on the philosophy that people deserve simple, beautiful home essentials without the luxury price. Brooklyn and cuts out on necessary mark ups and manufacturing waste in order to offer exquisite designs and exceptional savings across their collection. Brooklyn is the fastest growing betting brand in the world because people love their products. Their sheets of over twelve thousand five star reviews. They have versatile colors and patterns that you can mix and match, something you can't do at a department store, so you can easily compliment any decor. This is luxury betting under priced. You have to try these sheets to day. Me and Lisa love these Brooklyn and sheets. Try these sheets and I know you'll love them too. Brooklyn dot com has an exclusive offer just for my listeners. Get twenty dollars off and free shipping when you use promo code Murder at brooklynen dot com. In fact, Brooklyn is so confident you'll love their new sheets that they offer a risk free sixty night satisfaction guarantee in a lifetime warranty on all of their sheets and comforters. There's no reason not to give these sheets a try. The only way to get twenty dollars off and free shipping is to use promo code murder at brooklynen dot com. That's b r O O k l I n e n dot com brooklynen dot com promo code murder Brooklynan. These are the best sheets ever. When we last spoke, Fred, we talked about don Bergeron and you talked about her being a relative novice as a police officer, but someone wanted her. There was a task force formed with Dennis Thornton, and someone spoke very highly of Don Bergeron and saw something in there, and she was on the task force. Tell us about this task force that is formed, and tell us what happens in the career killing career of Ronald Dominique.
Speaker 4: Well, the first thing we should talk about because two things. Two things. First, I'm gonna buy those sheets and second I'm from Brooklyn, so there you go. Maybe it'll autograph them for me. And but what happens is Bergeron is her pre chet calls are the fire cracker because she is a she's a natural she's a real natural. She doesn't discriminate. She she understands people. In fact, one of the things that she told me was that she had she was on some some detail that dealt a lot with individuals who, according to Dawn, they were Occajuns, and that it was fairly common, according to Dawn, in the Cajun culture, where there was a certain amount of insects. So this is somebody who had experience with sexual crime. And you know what, if I was casting this, yeah, she it beat Mariska Hargeta in a heartbeat. And so what happens is when they decided that you already have going. Dominique has laid off killings for a couple of years. The reason being he got in trouble. He insulted a woman in public, and he went after her and eventually he was tried and convicted and blah blah blah. Another the cops actually had the bad guy in custody, they didn't know it well. Don Bergeron meanwhile, is paying attention to the bodies that are accumulating terror Bone Parish, which is where she is in Homer, And eventually the state police realize, uh, you know what, we got a lot of bodies here. So they formed a quote unquote Tanskport and the tankports includes detectives from the various parishes. The first person, of course they signed up or signed up was it was Dennis Thornton. And when he meets Bergeron, there is a chemistry between them and they really complement each other quite well. And so at that point they get together. And and I should also mention that in the task Force there is a parole officer which becomes key to solving our case. And so and and and there's actually a parallel uh uh in this case to the Dahmer case that we'll talk about, and not involving certainly not involving cannibalism, but something else. In any case, Bergeron and and Thornton become the two lead investigators on this thing.
Speaker 6: Right step into the world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 3: I'm going to make him an offer you can't refuse. With family canoli's and spins mean everything. Now you want to get mixed up in the family business, introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Test your luck in the shadowy world the Godfather slot.
Speaker 3: Some day I will call upon you to do a service for me. Play the Godfather now at Champa Casino dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the family vdW group. No purchase necessary if we were privited by loss.
Speaker 7: He terms and conditions eighteen plus. Now you talk about Dominique doing various jobs. He's worked various jobs in his life, and now he's a pizza delivery guy, which gives him opportunities to learn the city and he continues his killing spree. Talk about Kenneth Fitzgerald Randolph, he lived near Dominique nineteen years old. You also talk about this person being a pedophile as well, like a convicted pedophile and he meets Dominique again. What is the state of the bodies that's consistent with the other bodies, not that anybody's making a link between these are making all of the links with these people, all these victims. Tell us what those shared characteristics are? And when do they make this definitive link between all of these perishes that he has killed in.
Speaker 4: Well, once the the the the the link is certainly the the m O. They're all they're all strangled, Okay, they're all and they're all dumped essentially in public, and and they realize that this guy is he's taunting the cops. He's really taunts. He's trying to say, hey, I'm a lot smarter than you guys, Come come and get me. And uh so they they once don Once, Thorns and Bergeron get together. They realize that all of these cases are tied together to buy the mo and they realized that the individual they're seeking is someplace within the Terrbone Parish. But the question becomes, Okay, how do we find this person? And I got to tell you something, it's so ironic. One of my best friends for forty years, and I had no idea he grew up in Homer, Louisiana and Terrbone Parish. It wasn't there any time. But you know when I spoke to him about it, his name is Frank Amston. He's a film director. And that's why was so fascinating. Again that you know, this is, like I call it an out of the way place. And I also would add that this is about, oh maybe a year before the deep border horizon blows up. I'm going to go from Mexico with the big oil spill. Well that's literally right outside the door. So the detectives get together and now they start putting it, putting the pieces together and realize the individual that they're seeking is someplace within her parish. Then the question becomes, how do we get to do.
Speaker 7: Now there is some sightings and there is again they have to follow up every lead, as police have to do, but there is some interesting lead in terms of a place called the Sugar bul Motel. So tell us a little bit about the Sugar Bowl Motel and what Thornton or where's it Bergeron I'm not sure realizes later in terms of the importance of this location.
Speaker 4: Well, this particular location as a place where some of the victims had been picked up in the vicinity, either in the parking lot or outside the parking lot of the Sugar Bowl Hotel in Homa. And so what they decide to do is basically stake the place out. But it doesn't work because you're dealing with an individual who is pretty damn smart, so as soon as he realizes they're on the scent, he goes the other way. And so they don't have the you know, it's it's not like they're going to stake it out, you know, and the guy's going to come and try to pick somebody up, and the cops are there and you know, and and and so forth, that doesn't happen. That's what they're hoping is going to happen. But that's not what happened. And it's extremely frustrating to them. And the saying that came across to me was as Dawn explained, how they had to shadow the guy, they had to uh, you know, the stakouts and so forth. A lot of this is on their own time because for whatever reason, the state was not giving them the overtime, so they did it on their own time, which took away from the time they would spend with their families. And again, I think that's that so indicative of their of their dedication. And again to to catching the killer without caring about the sexual aspect or the racial aspect didn't make any difference to these two jobs. They were. You know that this is a lone ranger in Tonto. Basically, you know, these these people don't care about race, they don't care about sex. All they care about is somebody is getting murdered and we're going to get him.
Speaker 7: You're talking about now, two thousand and five August and a Hurricane Katrina happens, so that disaster and an incredible historical disaster there, but an interesting person in that Thornton and bergeron again thinking outside of the box. Thornton thinks maybe we should contact those people that were sex offenders, and then somebody says he thinks, why not contact parolee And so again I mentioned you alluded to probation officer and becomes a hero and other hero in this Tom Lambert, and he also is on the task force. So he's a probation officer of John Banning. So tell us a little bit about John Banning, what information they get from him, because he's important.
Speaker 4: What happens is he's an individual who is picked up by what by by Dominique. And what Dominique would do with straight guys is he would get he would show them pictures, uh, you know, like nude photos of women, or suggest the photos and say, hey, listen, I got this girl back in my trailer. You want to mess around with her or whatever. So that's how he loures this dude back to his trailer. But once he gets back to the trailer and Dominique tries the whole deal with you know, he tries to get sexual with him, He tries to bind him, and so forth. That's what's interesting, which is the guy breaks out of the trailer and he eventually tells his his parole officer about it. And so when Thornton and Bergeron ask the parole officer, hey, have any of your and and this guy was a you know, it was a pro league and he says, and so Thornton and Bergeron say to the parole officer, hey, any of your guys know anything about some weird guy? Blah blah blah. And the next thing you know, this paro league comes forward and tells the parole officer about Dominique. And then and this part is actually at a movie, which is they they they he tells them where it is, and they go and they open up the mailbox and they say and they look at the mail and it says Ronald J. Dominique, but it being bought a boom, as Tony Soprano would say, They have their suspect. And then they conduct and then they run arent go ahead.
Speaker 7: So you talk about this. They have the mitochondrial DNA, they know that's not enough. So what's the next step to be able to get the nuclear DNA that they need.
Speaker 4: In order to get nuclear DNA, you have to you have to what he caught. You've got to get a warrant. Well, there's a couple of things that happened here. What happens is they let the f behind them what's going down, and then the FBI next thing you know, they've got helicopters going over the guy's house, which is sort of a you know, a tip off, but they're pretty sure they got them. You know, this is the guy. And so it becomes a question of not only getting the nuclear DNA. That's not enough. You also have to be able to get the guy some other forensic evidence and or having the individual in a room where you you know where where where you interrogate the individual. And so what they're what they're hoping to do is get some sort of match of nuclear DNA, but it really is not going to happen so easily.
Speaker 7: And so.
Speaker 4: In fact, Thornton says, all we had was a mitochondrial DNA match, and there are lots of pressure to arrest them. We knew that once we got in the interrogation room was anybody's get what he might say. To make matters worse, there's been a media leakage, which is the last thing that they wanted, So they've got to get the guy into custody, then get the warrant and get the DNA. But it's even more important two guy to confess to the crime because a good defense attorney can always challenge a mitochondrial DNA match. So it's really a question of trying to set a trap for the guy, as they did with the Sugar Bowl motel, which didn't work, and he slips away from that, and they were really owed because while they're surveilling and he went out to kill somebody else. So now it's like, Okay, what do we do. We've got a minochondrial DNA match to one of the victims. We don't have nuclear but do we let the guy keep doing what he's doing or do we take a shot interest And that that is the major decision that they have to make.
Speaker 7: You talk about one more killing, but there's two more killings. He slips under their radar, And it's sad to see these dedicated police officers doing every they can and they know in their hearts of hearts that it's this guy, and yet they can't get the money for twenty four to seven surveillance on the guy till they get the DNA that sure surely tells you that he must be involve some family member. So it's almost a slam Duncan they finally get the money and he's still still eluding them. So it's a desperate scene that you described that these officers working for over eight years on this. Thornton over eight years on this and they know who it is and they know he has a record. He just hasn't been convicted. That people just didn't show up, so they know they have their guy. Oh yeah, tell us about you talk about another against verious film esque scene where Bergeron wants to make this arrest. She's been involved, she's in deep but she you talk about the sacrifice where these people are working overtime on their own money. I mean, they're not being paid for overtime work, so they're volunteering that time. But she has promised to take her kid, her daughter to Walt Disney World, so she calls to see if it's okay, if she can go and fulfill the promise she made to her daughter. Like wow, So tell us what she does and how in the end, finally he is arrested.
Speaker 4: Well, what happens is they're waiting to get a match on one of the victor victors name is Sutterfield. And Dawn goes to Disney World in Florida and she's with her daughter and she's she and she's in constant contact with Dennis Thornton. And what finally happens is they don't get a nuclear DNA match, they get a they get a minochondrial DNA match, and she's a Disney World and she is with her daughter, and then the decision has to be made. Okay, he's already he's already killed two people, even though we had the drag man out, and so that's in addition to the other twenty one. Okay, what do we do? And they make a decision that they're going to arrest this guy and try to sweat him during the interrogation, and so she leaves Disney World early with her daughter. And again this points out the sacrifices they're making in their personal life. And finally she comes back to Terreborne Parish and they find out that that Dominique has left his sisters and is living in some flop house someplace and for lack of a better term, Downtown Hall. Mom and the cops are not the cops for the immediate have become aware that they're going after the Southern Louisiana serial killer, and they go to arrest them, and they arrest them and they take them downtown to be interrogated, and that is when they get they're able to get the evidence that they need in order to charge him successfully.
Speaker 7: You chronicle this painstaking but brilliant cross examination here, this questioning of his suspect with the with the goal to not have him lawyer up, not speak to a lawyer, So they have to make him comfortable enough. And then there's the idea that he doesn't care who a victim is comes in handy this empathy in general. So they approach is very subtle, and they get and maybe you can tell us what their goal is in the beginning is to bit by bit make this case. So they do they'd single of two murders in particular, how do they approach this, as you write the masterful approach? What do they do to be able to gain the necessary information to at least say we've got two Well.
Speaker 4: It's what you said. They make a decision early on that they're going to use empathy. They're not going to pressure him they're going to be empathetic. They're going to be sympathetic. They're going to listen to him, they're gonna they're going to ask him questions, not just about the crimes, but his background. They're gonna they're going to draw him out. They're going to give him whatever you The only thing that they don't want to do when they first get him is they don't want him to go to sleep so fast because they want to get more information. Because despite the fact that they're going to put he talks about suicide and so forth, they're going to have a suicide watch in the individual. That's there's always a possibility the guy's going to do it. So the idea is essentially to act as therapists to lack of a better term, and allow him to tell them what his life is like, what his life is about. And as he does this, he starts confessing to the first couple of murders. But because these are these police officers are really humanitarians, that's not enough. They're not interested in just solving so unquote or putting closure, that's the best word on a couple of murders. They want to put closure in all twenty three and so they'd have to come up with a way to do that, and as you point out, without him lawyering up. And if anything, if there's any part of the story that's like a movie, this is the part because they're able to have a discussion with him that lasts really a couple of days in which he will wind up confessing to all twenty three murders. And then of course there needs to be a decision on the part of the prosecutor about what to prosecute and so forth and so on. But for them, and I will also say the prosecutor, the idea is to bring closure to the families. And I just feel as wonderful is how they treated these family, these the families of the victims. Again, they didn't look at this in any sexual way, which is, you know, and considering the you know, the discussion we've had in this country regarding the rights of gays and transgender people and so forth. And this is in two thousand and six, so this is eleven years ago. These two police officers are way ahead of their time, as well as the prosecutor, so to him extensively and really trying to be his best friend. They're able to draw him out.
Speaker 7: You also talk about how the chip away at this with the two first murders, getting him, as you say, to talk and sink himself with his his own words. He talks lamely about it doesn't seem too swift. He talks about a lame attempt at talking about this being self defense. Yet in the self defense he gave enough right and evidence to hang himself and convict himself of murder with those two and after they have enough for eight, they finally get enough for eight, and then they rather take a break, Like you say, they can't continue. They're very very careful. They want to make sure this sticks. But the thing that they realize is that now is the time that they've gained his confidence and befriended him and listened to his stories, his excuses for why he is the way he is. And I'll let you tell our audience to some of the things he said about his background that apparently are the reason for his later behavior. But they realize and then go into that room and say to him, listen, this really isn't about self defense, and they not so, not so or not, and not very much time they have him admitting what he was claiming about self defense as nonsense, don't they?
Speaker 4: Yes, And because and the reason is actually, as we're talking about it, what's interesting here is just that I would be doubtful Dominic has ever talked to other individuals, including therapist. There's no indication he ever had therapy where he's talking about the ridicule a couple of things. He talks about the ridicule that he faced with his family being gay. He talks about working on offshore and one of the oil platforms and being well. He talks about that, and then he talks about at some point he's behind bars for something and for some minor crime and he gets raped and it screws up his anus, and so he is he's afraid of anybody having anal sex with him, an he any and he And what's wonderful is that these police officers do not show any surprise in, you know, in the details of this, because there's a lot of details that make people very uncomfortable. Not these two cups. Now, uh, they're they're as sympathetic as as and and and I believe they were. They were really sympathetic. I don't think it was just a you know, an act. I think it's from these people are they're not sympathetic to the guy killing, but they're certainly sympathetic to an individual who claims he was in a rape. They're sympathetic to an individual who says he was denigrated growing up by everybody, et cetera, et cetera. And so then the real question comes in, Okay, how do we clear old twenty three. And that's where it gets, you know, interesting, where they make a deal. They talk to the prosecutor. Now this is a state and where they execute people. There are thirty eight states in the United States where they still have the death penalty on books, and Louisiana is one of them, and they use it. But the cops, Dennis Don and the DA decide it's more important to bring closure to these families. So they make a deal. If if Dominate takes them to all twenty three dump sites where the bodies were dumped, they will take the death penalty off the table and he'll just be sentenced just quote unquote to you know, a consecutive terms of life in prison. And of course they confer with the families on this, and I think in the annals of American criminal justice, this might be one of the best deals any venue has ever made with a bad guy, let alone a serial killer, because they're able to clear all twenty three and bring closure to the families. And you know, there's also the possibility, as everybody knows, that an individual like this goes behind bars and then maybe at some point some guy wants to kill him or something like that, you know what I mean. So in terms of quote unquote death, guess what to these people, that's not the most important thing or what. And again, what I love about this story is how the South always gets painted as a place where all they want to do is execute and the and the racist and so forth. This is this is about as far from that as you can get.
Speaker 7: You talk about another again film esque scene is that they take him to those dumb sites or he takes parton me. He takes them to the dumb site because as you as you mentioned it's it can't be the other way around because the defense attorney will poke big holes with it at in any kind of court case. So he has to take them and describe that scene for everybody. But he willingly does this. And what's his demeanor? Tell us a demeanor through some of this.
Speaker 4: He's pretty calm about all of this. He's pretty calm about this. I wouldn't say that he showed any sort of remorse. I mean, he's a serial killer, but he's extremely calm in taking them to these gun sites. But again I believe that because and it's pretty obvious that because they've established poor with him, he feels free to talk to them. And at one point he says to them, I'm not a bad person. When I was younger, I was molested twice. I've been teased by family members and people that was supposed to be friends. I was accused by two people of breaking them and it wasn't true. So here's a guy who obviously has had a screwed up background, and these two cops are probably the only ones that ever showed him any sympathy or empathy in his life. And I believe that's the reason why he was willing to make the deal. But he did and give closure to those families.
Speaker 7: He had trotted out this idea that these guys had asked for money and then asked for more money, So they dispelled that as apprehension was one of the things they dispelled. He had said things, though you talk about remorse. It's just interesting, he said, I just want everyone to forgive me. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. It's December third, two thousand and six. Yes, regardless, the deal was for eight Kenneth Randolph, Michael Barnett, Leon Lorette, August Watkins, Kurt Cunningham, Alonso Hogan, Chris Deville, Wayne Smith, and Nicholas Pelegrin. Like you say, thirty relatives of victims were in the courtroom, and it was so interesting. Of course, dramatic victim impact statements weren't there.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, there were, I mean people talked about and again this is what got me was again this wasn't covered by the media like the local media, you know, the Times to Yun, I think it's home of today is the newspaper there, but not nationally. And these the relatives of the victim were able to address them and talk about what they had lost with their with their their their their loved ones. And it breaks your heart when you read it. It really does, and it really does break your heart. And I guess I guess as we're talking, then I you know, I would my question would my question would be why don't we have more? Uh, professionals in the in our criminal justice system that have the the kind of humanitarian instincts that these two detectives and the and the DA have, but particularly the detectives. You know, I always feel that it has more to do with how you raised And I didn't get into it with Dennis and Gone. You know, I didn't. You know, I Gone told me you know some information about our background, But it's pretty obvious to me that they were raised the right way to look at people, at this people. Yet you have to say to yourself, my god, if there were more individuals like this in the system, it would be a lot easier to clear cases. Let alone when somebody, you know, somebody like a dominique is in custody earlier for something else which is not as serious, maybe they would be more empathetic with him. We don't know if that could change what happened. We don't know, but we sure know that that in this case, were not for the fact that Dennis and Dawn were so open to talking with him and listening to him and feeling for him at the same time doing their job, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Speaker 7: Well, you talk about humanitarian, but the media could have been interested in this story and the media is he could controlled by no one but the media. They think that the society in general doesn't care about these people, and they've probably proven right with the treatment society has for prostitutes in general, whether they're underage or not. Apparently they're sex trade workers or hookers. So how much empathy you're going to have for a gay sex trade worker or a prostitute, so you know. And the other thing is I think too that the courts had dealt with Dominique, and when a complaint in over a serious crime can't be found, sometimes a subpoena that person and force them to come to court, you know. So there was times when the court didn't assess this guy as dangerous whatsoever, even though it would seem in retrospect for some pretty serious charges as well. We got to talk about maybe just police training is good, but it's just a matter of look at the budget that they couldn't get because they couldn't get national attention, because it's New Orleans, because again the victim, again, they couldn't get funding. Seemed to me incredibly that they couldn't get even with the incredible events they had twenty four to seven surveillance. But like you point out, if it's if it's white victims or victims of a different occupation, you know, I think it's it's not just to be laid on a police force. I think because I think there's a lot of blame to go a law around basically with this, Even with this case with twenty three victims, it seems like everyone has an idea of the more innocent victim seems to be the better victim.
Speaker 4: Yes, and that's that's that's very eloquent, and I agree with that. And I will also tell you that I had in trying to get this book published. It took a long time because I know an editor at a major house who said to me about the case, you're writing a book about Dominique. I said, yeah, she's She said he's gay and he picked on gay gay guys when uninterested. You know, you know, it's like, excuse me. You know, they think that readers and listen are are going to discriminate in that respect, as if it makes any difference. And I've always felt that, I've always you know, that's not the case. In fact, I did the first book years ago on an African American serial killer. And you know so, I mean, I've been warned for years don't write about black bad guys, okay, And here's a situation where we've got a guy who's gay taking on gay individuals over the publisher that well, you know what, and the media just went along with this. You know, there was a complicity. It's not a conspiracy. And I understand it, okay, I understand that. Look, when you start talking about a TV show, whatever TV show it might be, whether it's a it, whether it's you know, a magazine show or a you know, it's something, you know, a true crime reality show, you're selling. You know, you've got commercials you're selling, you know, breakfast, cereal, whatever. And people don't want to hear these kinds of details. At least that's what the individuals can power think. I don't know. I don't know if that's the case or not. All I know is that's not the way I was raised, you know, And I felt that it was my responsibility to speak for the dead, and and it just is dawn and denist it. And you know, what happens in the future, Maybe things will change a little bit. Since you know, the social climate is certainly in a state of flux here. You know. I sometimes I feel like the United States is way behind other places. However, that's that's the way it is. And I know I'm not supposed to get into politics.
Speaker 7: We talk about you talk about in the end of the book, because you really want to say that this book really couldn't be done without especially the help of Don Bergeron. Yeah, and Dennis Thornton, but especially Don Bergeron. So yeah, it's very interesting to talk about this interaction you had for this book. And of course then you get to know her a little bit and find out a little bit more about her background. So tell us a little bit about this meeting, and just as you do in the book, tell us about this meeting between you and Don Bergeon.
Speaker 4: Well, we met, We met in her office, and I remember that she had a picture of the task force and this when we met. It was two thousand and nine, so it was one to three years after they they h after the case was you know, they busted them, but and she was very, very very open. The only time I've ever received this kind of cooperation from a detective was in Florida, which has the first open records law. I believe, on the books of all fifty states. But the thing is she she really said, fred I'll take I'll give you all the I'll give you all the paperwork. And then and then she takes me to the dumb sites. And then in between doing that, we stopped in at some focal place to have lunch, and we ran into about old It must have been about eight cops there from the parish. And we sit down, you know, and and uh and uh uh. They wanted to see what my reaction was through a French pride alligator. Dan give me a break, you know, I mean, you know, so, you know, so they ordered it and I ate it, and of course I said, a taste like chicken. I probably should have said, being that I'm a Jewish boy from Brooklyn, I probably should have said, it's this kosher. But I didn't. And you know, she was just as friendly as could be. And that, by the way, that's the other thing, you know, I didn't hide what my religion is. And you know, there's still a little thing called anti Semitism that exists in the United States, particularly in certain states and particularly among certain individuals. Nobody cared about that there. They didn't care about that. Nobody said anything to me. I never got any vibes. She didn't say anything to me. We just we just hit it off. And I think it's because as we're talking, I think this case really really bothered her and it stayed with her and she wanted to get the truth out about what happened on how they brought this guy to ground. And so I feel like I was particularly lucky with my rapoor with her. And I'm not a judgmental person either, so you know, I think she probably picked up on that, and I think that as a result, we you know, we hit it off.
Speaker 7: Yeah, certainly, certainly. Fred I want to thank you for coming on and talking about the Bayou Strangler, Louisiana's most grewsome serial killer. For those people that don't know you, you point out in this book at the end or the publisher does you're the author of twenty five books now with the last one murdering the President. Yeah, twenty five twenty five books. Tell us a little bit about the publishers of this book and where they might be able to get a hold of you. I know you're very very active and out there, so tell us for people that've been living under a rock. How they might contact you, get a hold of you, find out about your work, tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 4: Well, first, you can send up the bat signal. If that doesn't work right, actually Avengers HQ in upstate New York. But seriously, folks, if anybody wants to get a hold of me, it's you can just go on Facebook and send me an email. That's first. Open Roads Media is the publisher of this book. It's available in at barn you know bookstores, Barnes and Noble, et cetera. I don't even know any other bookstores that are around beside Barnes and Nobles, and of course Amazon dot Com is available also in as as an e book, And all you gotta do is just you know, click on the you know the links, uh to order it and those you know of course they'll send it right to your house, hopefully with your sheets. But seriously, it's it's, it's it's. It's available in bookstores, and it's available at Amazon dot com. It's available as an e book, and it's available as a hard copy. And one of the things I was particularly happy about, quite frankly, it was I felt it was reasonably priced I'm always big on that, Dan. I always work with the publisher when I have that opportunity to make sure it's reason to lead price because I know how hard our listeners work for their money all over the world, and I want to make sure that they get value for the dollar. That's very important to me.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, Fred, thank you very much once again coming on and talking about the Bayous Strangler. Hope to talk to you again real soon. You have a great evening. Thank you, Fred Rosen.
Speaker 4: Thank you Dan. I really appreciate it being on with you always. You, sir, are a great union Dame. I'll talk to you so Thank you.
Speaker 7: Bred. You make this all worthwhile. You have a great evening.
Speaker 4: You three bye bye bye.
Speaker 7: This program has been brought to you by brook Lenen. You spend one third of your life in your sheets. Brook Lenen makes luxury sheets and bedding accessible to everyone. Use promo code murder at Brooklinen dot com for twenty dollars off and free shipping. Promo code murder at brook Lennen dot com.
Speaker 4: Good night,