Speaker 1: Hey, y'all, welcome back to Mountain Murders midweek and happens to be the middle of July.
Speaker 2: I'm Heather and I'm Dalan.
Speaker 1: Hey, Dylan, Hey girl, what's up? I am so excited to be back on the podcast talking to our listeners.
Speaker 2: I see that your assignment is contagious. Yeah. Yeah, everybody's gonna be wearing a mask before long, a mask. Yeah, because your assignments spreading.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Oh I thought you were gonna make a joke about the poop parasite. Oh no, we got half the country feel a little shitty out there.
Speaker 2: Look, if any of our listeners have been subjected to any of them or any member of their family to this, uh this pooh bug, let us know what's happening and let us know what to avoid. Hit us up a Mountains Taco Bell podcast.
Speaker 1: Taco Bell seems to be the word of the day. Don't eat at Taco Bell.
Speaker 2: See. When I heard that, my first question was, how could you tell that it's a poop parasite, because that's just what Taco Bell does period.
Speaker 1: Well, from my point of view, how would I know if I have a poop parasite? Because I suffer from my bs. So everything makes me sick now every day of my life.
Speaker 2: I feel like the victims of this parasite would say, oh, you know, because yeah, the words explosive, oh, uncontrollable.
Speaker 1: Never good, no, never, never pleasurable. When you hear uncontrollable and explosive in the same sentence.
Speaker 2: Unless you're describing my love for Heather, it's.
Speaker 1: It's uncontrollable and explosive, that's right.
Speaker 2: Oh makes me blow up with love.
Speaker 1: You know you're so romantic. The other night you leaned in and you said, baby, you smell like cigarettes. Smoke it from the dive bar, And that was just one of the most romantic things you've ever said to me. True, I did.
Speaker 2: I did smell like stings. You don't smoke cigarettes, but we have some, We have some good friends.
Speaker 1: Everyone smokes.
Speaker 2: Everybody in that bar.
Speaker 1: Well, just in my orbit, everyone yes.
Speaker 2: But in this bar, everyone chained smokes. I mean, it's a certainly dive bar behavior, almost lighting one cigarette off of the butt of another one, and poor Heather would be right there in the mix, and a cigarette smoke actually gets to her. I found this out very quickly when we first got together. When I used to smoke way more.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of allergies.
Speaker 2: You couldn't even like light one in the car and like it's going out the window. It still gets to her, but she goes anyway.
Speaker 1: You know, you would think I would be immune to cigarette smoke because my nana, one of my nana's, my nana Dorothy, was a chain smoker. And so you know, back in the eighties, she would smoke with the windows up in the car. She'd be blowing smoke in all the grim baby's faces.
Speaker 2: Right, she's talking to him.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I've grown up around a lot of smoke. She would blow that Winston smoke in my face.
Speaker 2: But hey, that's pure smoke.
Speaker 1: But my allergies have never seemed to a to the cigarette smoke.
Speaker 2: That Winston smoke's an American classic.
Speaker 1: How you think I got that Winston racing Beach Town, Dylan, that's right, all right, We have a lot to talk about today. The world is going crazy. Not only are people explosively shitting everywhere, but there's.
Speaker 2: Always crime, Dylan, tell me about it.
Speaker 1: Two men were taken into custody after a fight over an Apple watch outside of Burger King in Tennessee, Okay, Twenty five year old Dale Towns has been charged with attempted second degree murder and employing a firearm during the commission of a felony. Thirty year old Trevor Young was charged with aggravated assault and accessory after the fact. Melymphus Memphis. I don't know where I got Melymphus from. Memphis Police responded to a shooting call at a Burger King on Poplar Avenue just before six point thirty pm on July fourteenth, and found a man suffering from a gunshot wound. Off spoke with a victim's son, who allegedly said townshend Young arrived at the fast food joint in a white pickup truck and confronted him in the parking lot about stealing an apple watch. He said the two men began fighting him and this led to a shooting. The son ran inside the burger King to get his father, who went outside to intervene. A witness told police that the suspects began to aggressively assault the sun and uh yeah, so all over an apple watch.
Speaker 2: Well, that's just a dumb reason to be fighting anyone.
Speaker 1: You can't even you're not even safe with the Burger King. You can't even go get yourself one of those tiny, tiny, little Whopper Juniors. They are so small.
Speaker 2: Now, I got a Whopper Junior. May have already mentioned this after gosh years of not getting a Whopper Junior. And he used to be my go to when I was wanted a little taste of a burger, but I did want so big honkin burger. You get a Whopper Junior a little medium fry and you're happy, right, This damn thing was the size of a biscuit. Literally, I mean, I don't even know how you make a hamburger that small. Seriously, it was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're very tiny these days. It's almost like a Whopper Junior biscuit.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing at Wendy's, right. You know, you used to get the Little Junior Bacon Cheeseburger, the Little Junior Bacon Cheeseburger Deluxe. It was a great little, you know, burger bite. You know, tasted pretty good, nice little snack on the ghost snack. And they're tiny anyway, they're tiny as well.
Speaker 1: Dylan, we have a Florida woman's story.
Speaker 2: Oh no, one second, now, I said, that's ridiculous thing to be fighting over but gosh, don't Apple watches costs like hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
Speaker 1: That's crazy people be fighting over anything.
Speaker 2: We still don't need to shoot anyone.
Speaker 1: No, if someone has stolen your watch, do the reasonable thing. Fill a police report.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, say they got Yeah, that's all you can do. Right, You have to work inside the system, because now this is as wrong as it is for someone to steal your property. Now you're probably on video shooting someone in a burger King parking lot, and now would say that that is certainly an escalation of events.
Speaker 1: Look, I want to get back to the days when you were just getting busy in a burger King bathroom.
Speaker 2: Oh ew like sexually.
Speaker 1: The Humpty dance. Oh okay, okay, apparently you don't know old song lyrics.
Speaker 2: Okay, move on, I'm about to eat these chip.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get back to this.
Speaker 2: Got my bowl of chips.
Speaker 1: A Florida woman, Surprisingly, it's not a Florida man today. It's a Florida woman is facing criminal charges after allegedly stabbing her friend with scissors after he told her she couldn't drink beer in an uber.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the uber driver said, you can't drink the.
Speaker 1: Friend, Hey, you cannot drink beer in.
Speaker 2: The super so she attacked him with scissors?
Speaker 1: Right so. Thirty two year old Lynn Marie Zamora was arrested on Monday, July thirteenth and charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.
Speaker 2: Why is she just going around with scissors?
Speaker 1: Bro The incident unfolded that night when a deputy with the Sheriff's Office the Miami Day Sheriff's Office was called to Southwest one thirty seventh Avenue in Southwest seventy fourth Street in Miami, where the victim said Zamora became irritated with him because she wanted to drink a beer in an Uber they were taking to a friend's house. After telling Zamora several times that she could not drink alcohol in the ride share vehicle, she took out a pair of scissors from her purse and stabbed this friend in the left bicep and left calve, breaking the skin. According to the affidavit, damn. He was taken to a local hospital where he was treated for injuries. The uber driver confirmed what had allegedly happened in the vehicle, and Uber's community guidelines state that drug use and open containers of alcohol are never allowed while using the Uber marketplace platform. Ride sharers are writers using the ride shares are instructed to never bring illegal drugs or open containers of alcohol into a car.
Speaker 2: Well, of course they are. I mean, somebody shouldn't even have to outline that for you, right, I mean, it's just simple common respect.
Speaker 1: This woman was arrested. She's being held on a seventy five hundred dollars bond. She appeared in court where her defense attorney asked that she'd be given hospital treatment. The prosecutor, however, said this woman was a flight risk with a criminal.
Speaker 2: Record, so no, no bond.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, people's nuts.
Speaker 2: Look, you stabbed me with some scissors. Do I'm gonna hit you square in your face. I don't care who you are. I'm gonna be Okay. Everyone out there before warned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't understand what was happening in the world today. A seventy nine year old man has been arrested in connection with a nineteen eighty one cold case. And now, Dylan, we know how much I love a cold case solved.
Speaker 2: She likes it when the cold case heats up.
Speaker 1: I love it when a cold case gets solved. So on Thursday, July sixteenth, the Grapevine Police Department confirmed that an arrest had been made in connection with a homicide investigation dating back to nineteen eighty one. Larry Dean Brown was booked in the Terrant County Correction Center on charge of murder intentionally causing death after being extradited from Colorado. The arrest was made in connection with the death of thirty five year old Beverly Brunew on February thirteenth of nineteen eighty one. Brunew's boyfriend returned home from work to find her dead on the living room floor, an electrical cord wrapped around her neck. She had blood on her face. Investigators at the time said the home showed signs of a struggle and noted that Brunew had suffered multiple injuries. It was later ruled that Brunew died from strangulation sometime in the mid morning before she was found. Officers met with Brown when they visited his home to speak with his wife, who is identified as Thelma Brown. She was Brunew's best friend.
Speaker 2: This is crazy.
Speaker 1: At the time, Brunew and Thelma co owned a home in Dallas that had been damaged in a fire. Brown is accused of pressuring Brunew to sign fraudulent insurance documents with inflated repair costs. Brunew allegedly refused to sign those documents. Thelma later forged her signature on the paperwork following the woman's death. So this case remained unsolved until evidence was re examined in twenty ten. They were able to identify some DNA, Unfortunately it was an unknown male they had no match in their system. That is the code of system, the Combined DNA Index system. When the case was reopened, detectives worked with the Larimer County Sheriff's office in Colorado, where Brown was living at the time, to obtain DNA samples from soda bottles found in his trash. Nice right, So they later received results indicating that Brown could not be excluded as the source of the blood found on Brunew's nightgown. So I just love when a good cold case is solved.
Speaker 2: Yes, all over some insurance fraud, I mean, what the hell? Yeah, I know that's what happens when you co own people with people you think. So, yeah, it's true. You can't do proper insurance fraud.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of discussion over the last couple of weeks about eighteen year old Nolan Wells, whose body was recovered July sixth and the waters of Horn Island, Mississippi. This was two days after he traveled there by boat with friends to celebrate the fourth of July. Now, Dylan, you are familiar with this case?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well, yeah, I mean it's everywhere, right, no matter where you look, be it at the gym, you'll see it on the news channel up there above the treadmills, or online, and I would say almost any social media app. But I'm not super familiar with the nuts and bolts of the case, the deets, if you will. But yeah, I know of it and I know, oh what's I kind of know both sides well.
Speaker 1: The cases drawing national attention, largely because of some unanswered questions about wells final hours and his cause of death. His family said they believe race has influenced how law enforcement is handling the ongoing investigation, while calling for thoroughness and transparency. Newly released records show the movements of the boat that carried Nolan Wells to Horn Island on July fourth, before the eighteen year old disappeared and later died in a case that has attracted all this national attention. So while much remains publicly unknown about his final hours amid both a sheriff's investigation and his own family's probe, the boat records align with what some friends who saw Wells that day have already said. Wells traveled to the island by boat with friends for like an Independence Day party, but did not return with them that evening. His mother reported him missing after hearing from one of his friends, and ultiple agencies launched a search on July fifth. His body was recovered in the water at the island on July sixth. Wells's cause of death has not been confirmed, and the results of an official and independent autopsy are pending. There have been some conflicting accounts about whether Wells chose to remain on Horn Island. His friends told authorities that he did and that he had met a girl there, but Wells's parents, Christine and Elmore Wansley, have said it would have been out of character and reckless for their son to separate from the group. Elmore has called that account a lie.
Speaker 2: Well So, at first I thought that this group of friends had just went to some you know, this island or whatever. But then I guess I hear there was a lot of people there, right, all many different boats, different groups of friends. Is that the case?
Speaker 1: It sounds like this was a place where a lot of young people would go to party.
Speaker 2: Right, So everyone's there doing their place the.
Speaker 1: Fourth So naturally, I think you're going to have, you know, probably different groups of young people out partying, and this seems to be a spot where the kids go. So yeah, I think it makes sense that there's probably different different groups of people.
Speaker 2: Now, if I tell the group of friends I'm with, I don't want to go back with you guys, because you're leaving before I'm ready. And you know, this happens, right, you're having fun. Maybe they're all ready to go, but you're not, And I'll just catch a ride with someone else because there's other people there, likely you know, other people, I would imagine, And that doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. That seems like something young people would do. Now they know there's some better than I do, right the family and they're saying that he would never decide to stay when you know the people who brought him are leaving. So I certainly can't say that's not true or not true, but I don't know that it seems like you have this case and the worst part of is this young man's loss his life. Yes, right, no matter what happened, he's dead, and that's terrible. You look like a really smart, handsome young man, very popular, very popular, had a bright future. I'm a tall play Yeah, you know, his life's just beginning. It seems so bad when you see these stories that happen to young people. It's almost like they're just figuring themselves out or what they might want to do, and then it's all kind of you know, snuffed or it's taken away, if you will. But and I think the truth needs to come out, no matter what the truth is, right, right, But I think you can't help but see that various people are just kind of using this story in a way to further their own interest, right, And I'm not talking about any just I don't know. It's just turned into this thing to where it doesn't seem to be about him. It doesn't seem to be about what happened to him. It's like people are trying to turn it into something and I don't even know what.
Speaker 1: Oh, and it reminds me. This very much reminds me of the Kendrick Johnson case out of Georgia that we covered some months ago. Right, how this young man passed away. There's mystery surrounding it. A lot of fingers are being pointed, a lot of people are trying to make it a racial issue or say that it's a race based crime I hate crime, or that the investigation didn't go as it should because of racism. But then you have multiple agencies looking into it and determining kind of the same outcome. But it seems like maybe the family doesn't want to accept that outcome, right, And so, yeah, we don't know a whole lot about this. We do know Wells was last seen on the island around three pm on July fourth. Ashley Cole, a local chancery judge whose son Warren was with Wells that day, released a lengthy statement saying that Warren last saw Wells around three pm. According to Cole, Warren left about four point thirty pm because the boat had begun taking on water and was experiencing problems with its bilge pump. She said her son was interviewed by the Sheriff's Department and has fully cooperated with investigators. Another of Welles's friends, who was on the island that day, Tracaton Shepherd, said that the group left the island on the boat because of an electrical problem, but that Wells remained after he had met a young woman. Now records obtained by NBC News support the timeline about the boat leaving, indicating that the boat's operator called dispatch around four PM to request assistance. The records, however, do not confirm everyone who traveled on the boat or providing any further information about Wells's whereabouts at that time. Okay, the caller reported there were like seven people on board, add in quote, I want to get this boat unsank and towed back now Separately, GPS data obtained by CBS News from the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources shows the vessel left to dock shortly before ten am and arrived at Horn Island at eleven fourteen am, where it remained until four thirty one pm. Wells family has said he stayed with friends the night before ahead of going to the party that day. According to the GPS data, the boat left the island at four thirty one pm and returned to its original departure dock. It then traveled to Fort BYU around five point fifty two pm before returning to the dock at six oh six pm. The boat traveled back to Fort BYU a boat launch at seven nineteen pm. It later traveled over land to the nearby Biloxi. Residents of the boat's owners, Wells parents have retained civil rights attorney civil rights attorney Ben Crump, and they have sharply questioned the investigation so far, calling for thoroughness and transparency and suggesting that race is a factor, while saying they don't believe Wells accidentally drowned, as authorities have said, is possible.
Speaker 2: So there, well, there you go now, and if their family truly believes that, you know what is possible, you know, it could be some thing happened out there that we don't know, we don't know about yet, and maybe all that will come out. That's certainly possible. But when you get in bed with people like Ben Crump, right, these famous almost mouthpieces of the system, my fear is that it kind of everything's through that lens now, right, no matter what is true or no matter what is said, it's all filtered through this this racial lens, this civil rights violation lens and all this stuff, and I think that's a problem, right.
Speaker 1: But I continue to see social media videos and I'm not trying to get into any kind of race discussion. I'm just stating what I've seen on social media a lot of calls that if you are the parent of black children, that you should not allow them to hang out with groups of white people, right, because this is what will happen.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I've been seeing videos of people going up, say there's a group of white people and there's one black kid.
Speaker 1: With them, oh, and asking are you okay?
Speaker 2: And asking are you okay? You know how disgusting that because you know what, the kid is okay because the kid looks happy as fuck, bro okay, and every video and the people are like, what like confused as to what they mean. But you know, that's ridiculous. You know, if the shoe was on the other foot, and there was all these videos of white people walking up to a group of black people that happen to have one white person with them and asking them if they're safe and okay, would that not that would probably be a big deal, right, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure it would be.
Speaker 2: People wouldn't view that as funny, and you know what, I would also not view it as funny because it's fucking ridiculous. It's a ridiculous thing to do and a way to act.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. You know, it's a horrible tragedy and I know it's a parent's worst nightmare, and I would, as a parent want to find out every single detail of my child's remaining hours, like what happened, and would want to make sense of it. But I'm also somebody who's pretty logical and reasonable, and if authorities are saying, look, there's really no sign of foul play here, and then the autopsy reveals the young man died, you know, from like an accidental drowning or something like that, I would. I mean, I know it would be hard to wrap your head around that as a parent and accept it. But this automatic rush to judgment and to decide what has happened and to make it into something that it's not right off the bat, I don't think is ever positive for anybody on any side. And as a parent, like you said, it does kind of dilute the facts and you will still have people who will push against the obvious truth and still paint a narrative that we can't trust you because you're racist law enforcement, we can't believe the medical examiner, and that it's like a big, vast conspiracy, just like with the Kendrick Johnson case. Well, yeah, everybody hate to see that because it does it diminishes this tragedy.
Speaker 2: Well, it does, and it can in the end, it can actually affect the truth, truth and all the facts coming out, right, And so I'm to believe that something happened out there, and again we don't. I don't know, but I mean, all everything in the preliminary results and everyone's observations are that something happened, but not what they're describing, right, maybe some accident or something to that of that nature. But so your your son would never stay behind, right, But they're out there hanging out, everybody's having a great time, and all of a sudden the boat needs to go back because it's having mechanical issues. Well that's the ZAC scenario, where a young person may stay behind and want to keep hanging out with friends and having fun. Right.
Speaker 1: Well, just as a parent saying, why I know my kid wouldn't do this. But here's the thing. When there's drugs or alcohol involved, and I'm not saying that there was or that this young man was participating in any of that kind of thing, but I'm sure there was drugs and alcohol probably in and around the young man. And you have groups of young people, there's peer pressure, and if you throw in the mix a young lady that he's eyeing or you know, maybe trying to court or whatever, that can definitely change things. And your child that might normally be responsible, could make a decision that's irresponsible, like, hey, I'm going to stay behind thinking everything will be okay because I've got other friends here, I'm trying to pursue this young woman whatever. And so I think, I guess what I'm thinking here is that without any evidence of foul play, you know, you don't have an autopsy report, there's no toxicology report, nothing like that has come out yet. But then you have people going to the press, whether it's the parents or the attorney, kind of making accusations and putting their son's friends on blast who have known this guy for you know, twelve years plus, that have gone to school with him, that seemingly loved him, he seemed very popular, like everybody was his friend. And you know, some of the I guess the other friends maybe who were not involved this day, have been speaking out like he was very beloved. And so for people to get on the TV and say like any of us would harm him as crazy because he was like our brother. We loved him right, and he was like part of the family, like he was our best friend. We would never hurt him. I mean, I just think that can be very dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so I'm supposed to believe that a this whole group is you know, something happened, and they're all keeping it quiet. All the investigators who you know, first on scene and everything, they're they're they're not reporting facts, they're keeping quiet to everyone there, all the other witnesses, potential groups of people, they're all keeping it quiet too. I mean, it's just when you look at it, it really gets ridiculous very quickly. And as a parent, I would never want someone else to take what happened to my child and use it for their own agenda. And that's just that's just seems to be what happened and has happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what shame on this attorney, because unless they know something that the public has not been told, this attorney has knowingly put these young people's lives in danger, the friends they have been receiving threats, And I think a good attorney would not have done that. He would have waited for evidence, because you don't put assumptions out there no without proof, and it just can turn out to be a disaster, because if Nolan stayed behind and drowned and it was an accident, then you know, this lawyer has kind of incited these feelings or issues or whatever that didn't even exist.
Speaker 2: He doesn't care. A person like him does not care. That's the way I'll just view it.
Speaker 1: Right. I feel sorry for this family and I can't imagine what they're going through, But I also I just don't I guess I don't understand this immediate push to create like maybe a narrative that we don't have any evidence.
Speaker 2: To support yet, right, So I don't.
Speaker 1: See how that's really beneficial unless you get some information that comes out and you have some evidence, Like I don't know, just throwing around baseless accusations based on your feelings rather than facts. That never ends well.
Speaker 2: But see, once they people start acting like this, the truth can never come through because autops of your report could come out tomorrow saying oh, this is all the hallmarks of an accident, dental drowning or something, or say he was using something. I'm not saying he.
Speaker 1: Was, but oh, like he was under the influence of something else.
Speaker 2: So maybe you know, he was intoxicated and maybe drowns trying to swim, or wasn't a strong swim or what are any of that. They're just not going to believe it. They'll just say that's more of the conspiracy. And when people start acting like that, it's just I mean, it's ridiculous. It really is.
Speaker 1: Well, as someone who's worked as a reporter in a college town, every like late summer, early fall semester, it seems there is always a story. When I was working as a reporter, there was always a story. It seemed to almost every year, like clockwork, that a student, a freshman typically not from the area, would come to this college in the mountains and would go swimming either at the lake or in the river, not knowing there's undercurrents.
Speaker 2: You know, I hadn't grown up around swimming.
Speaker 1: You know, certain areas of like river whitewater, like you shouldn't be swimming or messing around in there would typically be something involved like alcohol, and you would have drownings. And it's just an accident. It's just a tragic accident, right, you know, But I don't recall people throwing around, you know, buzzwords and trying to like make accusations. You know, sometimes it truly is just an accident.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully the truth comes out and like I said, nothing's going to change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we definitely need to wait for more facts and information before we make a judgment on this case.
Speaker 2: Now, this young man lost his life, but I can't lose sight of that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but I think it's a good teachable moment for parents that we should all talk about these things with our kids. That you know, when you're out with your friends, even if everybody else is drinking or smoking pot or whatever, you're on the water. You need to be responsible. You need to take care of yourself. You need to make sure you were making good decisions.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean just the last week or so, I jumped in a lake and you were like, hey, you've been You've had a few beers and you don't have any you know, I'm a very strong swimmer. But she's like, you don't know these waters, anything could happen. You should be careful. So you were preaching safety to me, and we're in our forties.
Speaker 1: I'm always preaching safety because I'm neurotic and I see danger at every turn. Okay, And I float because I'm paranoid and I have mental illness.
Speaker 2: I just started floating, and then she chilled out because I float so well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I think I threw a float at you.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not putting on the wings.
Speaker 1: You need some swimmis. I wish they made swimmies for adults. I'd put the motherfuckers on and I would just be like having the best time now. A father's son duo in California allegedly kidnapped a pair of US Forest Service workers. According to the US attorney Eric Grant, Okay, you heard the story. No, Well, they were held hostage inside a trailer in a rural area near Mount Shasta. The FBI deployed a hostage negotiator from Quantico to coordinate with local authorities. The authorities negotiated the hostages release after hours of talks with the kidnappers.
Speaker 2: What was the problem.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't really know, Dylan. A Forest Service employee called authorities around eleven am on Thursday to notify them of the kidnapping. The FBI secured the release of one of the hostages at one fifty am on Friday, and the second hostage fifteen minutes later. The alleged kidnappers surrendered themselves to the FBI two thirty am. So at this point, I don't really know why they were being held. We don't know what the kidnappers motivations are or why they wanted to speak with the FBI. So at this point, little information is out that I can find. But it's just a very strange story.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean when when's the last time you even heard of something like that happening?
Speaker 1: Now, Dylan, are you familiar with OnlyFans model Courtney Clinney.
Speaker 2: No, So I'm not being funny. I don't know any only fans.
Speaker 1: Well, she was accused in the twenty twenty two death of Christian Ombumsley, her boyfriend, and she she's been arguing after her arrest that she acted in self defense as a battered spouse, all right, and she's trying to file documents in court to say that she was a battered spouse, and she's trying to turn the tables on prosecutors before her murder trial begins, asking the judge to block the state from using a string of alleged prior violent incidents to paint her as the aggressor.
Speaker 2: All right, so she wants to.
Speaker 1: Suppress evidence that she's been a violent aggressor while also using the battered spouse defense.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well that's tricky, right, I Mean, on face value, you would say that really doesn't add up, Like, how are there all these I'm going to assume videos or maybe texts painting you out as a violent individual or an aggressive person.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds yeah, or it sounds like maybe there were other domestic violence calls into law enforcement. Perhaps.
Speaker 2: Well, now, as far as those go, all a lot of times the cops don't know exactly what happened. Now, I've seen before where you do have the abuser paint out their victim as having been the one to actually attack them or something like that, and it not be true, but the cops kind of believe, you know, because the cops no offense to them. They're just coming into the situation. They don't know anything and so, and then you have one person who's hysterical, right, which never I've always told people, you can't act like this to cops because they don't know what's happening, and they're just going to see you and think you're freaking. You're the problem because you're the one who's out of control, hysterical, being loud and all that. So as far as if it's just domestic violence reports, but oftentimes you really need calls of calls for service records for that and things, and maybe where the cops do come and find you beat up and you know, know that they're abusing you. I mean, you need some evidence of that. I think before you can really say someone is, you know, abusing you to the point where you have to kill them to protect yourself.
Speaker 1: Her lawyers are asking a judge to allow them to bring up Umbumcelly's twenty twenty Austin arrest warrant. The warrant, which attached was attached to the defense filing, accuses umbum Selly of cruelty to a non livestock animal, which is a Class A misdemeanor in Travis County, Texas. It lists an offense date of November two, twenty twenty, but does not show how the case was resolved. Clinny's lawyers are claiming the records behind the warrant described apartment staff finding Umbum Selly's dead dog, Halo, confined inside a kennel on a closet after an apartment had been abandoned. Investigators allegedly found food in the kennel, but no water and fece surrounding the animal. A veterinarian pathologist concluded the dog most likely died due to dehydration from water deprivation, and that the dog had been dead for five to seven days before being discovered, and that Obum Selly Obumseelly I know I'm butchering his name, gave vague, confusing and conflicting accounts about the dog's death. So she's trying to bring in this animal cruelty fight as part of a broader pre trial battle over how jurors will see the couple's volatile relationship, and she's hoping that this will show the jurors that he was just like this terrible person. There is video. It's a snippet of an elevator video that a lot of people have seen it's been publicized that shows Clinny as the aggressor. She's striking Mbumselli, pulling his hair, hitting him before the door's open, and he manages to escape. But of course her attorneys are saying, well, you know, this video takes out the part that happened, like before she attacked him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're they're saying, you don't see the full context of the video.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing about the animal, this poor dog. That's terrible. If you could do that to a living creature, I personally think you're a piece of shit. But you could argue the way someone treats an animal, because some people view animals as just that an animal, you know, kind of beneath them and you know, unemotional, they're not attached. They just think there's some dumb animal. You could argue that the way that that person treats an animal, it doesn't necessarily mean that's how they would treat their partner or their wife or girlfriend. Right.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Well, I understand that. I mean, I get why she's trying to introduce this. I get why she is but into the trial and get this evidence before jurors.
Speaker 2: Now I get it is to show a level of cruelty and things like that, but also from the someone from the other side day did argue you're going to buas the jury in the rest of the case because of what he did to this dog. You see what I'm saying. Yeah, And like I said, you may view dogs differently than humans and be capable of treating a dog.
Speaker 1: I guess my attitude is, if that's the only evidence you have to back up your claim, when there's a lot of other evidence to suggest you were the violent aggressor.
Speaker 2: You're in trouble. Yeah, no you are. I mean, if you're fighting tooth and nail over just animal cruelty stuff, then I don't know what to say. And you're also fighting to have multiple other pieces of evidence which paint you, in your words, paint you out as the aggressor, which means that you basically look like the Chris Or when you watch the video, Then yeah, you got a problem. I think you've got a problem.
Speaker 1: Well, and if that's the only thing you have to suggest this person was violent or immoral or whatever, then I think you don't really stand a chance at trial. And honestly don't know if the animal cruelty thing should be allowed to go before jerors because that seems that's a terrible thing on its own. But I don't feel like that's part of this.
Speaker 2: No, this case, That's what I was saying, is it.
Speaker 1: Has nothing to do with the fact that you murdered this man.
Speaker 2: No, and honestly it's you could argue it's only to basically characteristic to do character assassination on the person.
Speaker 1: Who's des because he's dead you killed.
Speaker 2: Yes, You're right, he can't defend himself. He can't explain that, you know, he can't explain maybe he got couldn't come back, or maybe the person he thought was watching his an. I mean, I'm not saying it's true.
Speaker 1: We could. We don't know the details outside of what has been You can't defend himself against this other thing, is what I'm Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he could have for all he knew. Somebody was supposed to be taking care of the animal. It paid the money to do it, and they didn't do it, and they let the animal die. I mean, you don't know what happened in that situation, and I think it I think it should be kept out just because it's not relevant. It's relevant to this case doesn't really work from me, even though whoever did that to that dog, like I said, is a piece of shit. I mean, I don't know how you could do that to any Leave it. Hell, I wouldn't do that to a freaking hermit crab. Just leave it and not you know what I mean. It's weird to lock to lock something up and not give it food or let use the bathroom or have clean conditions. I know you always try to bring him back from the beach when we go to the beaches. I just want one like a little kid.
Speaker 1: I am like a little kid. Look to fuck childhood. Let me be a little kid now, okay, okay, I want to experience all the joy of childhood as an adult. A twenty one year old man police say dismembered and disposed of his girlfriend, has pled not guilty in connection with her death. Dylan twenty five year old Isadore Wingle was last seeing December thirty, first of twenty twenty five, and was reported missing by our family a week later. So on January tenth, athorties announced suspected foul play. Joshua Height was arrested on February tenth and charged with murder and evidence tampering. Investigators said they believe Height dismembered Wangle with a sow that he purchased on door dash and disposed of her remains in a plastic tote during a midwinter freeze.
Speaker 2: I mean you came and go get the saw yourself, dude, I mean, what do we do it? You're going to order?
Speaker 1: Why are you trying to ruin door dash for the rest of us?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just saying you hear these in these stories nowadays where people have, you know, murder kits delivered and stuff, and see the stupid part is you're really just adding another layer of someone who could testify against you. So it's kind of goofy.
Speaker 1: During the investigation into Height, it was learned that he'd allegedly made searches for home depot, a sawsaw, door dash, junk removal, near me, dumpster, and how to register for a legal alias. On January fourth.
Speaker 2: A llegal alias.
Speaker 1: In a dumpster at Heights Apartment building, police found a receipt from home Depot for Milwaukee sawzaw reciprocating saw, some clear plastic sheeting, extra large trash bags, black duct tape, and a carbide saw blade, all of which were allegedly delivered via door Dash, and they believe Wangel was killed between the third and the sixth. This DoorDash delivery took place on January fourth. Her remains have never been found.
Speaker 2: Dude, I'm telling you right now, if I'm the door if I'm the dasher, and I yes, I'm sure people's like what door dash they do more than just food. They basically bring you anything.
Speaker 1: Now, apparently they bring you a murder kit and you order.
Speaker 2: Plastic sheeting, extra large trash bag tape, duct tape, and the reciprocating saw and a heavy duty blade.
Speaker 1: I do not believe you were trying a home improvement project out, bud.
Speaker 2: No, I don't believe that at all. This is a murder kit.
Speaker 1: Kvv R reports that as saw blade found at the apartment contained blood and bone fragments matching the victims DNA profile. Height had allegedly told interviewers that hen Wigel got into an argument on the Weygel one Wengle sorry on the morning of January fourth because he wanted to break up with her. He claimed he dropped her off at home. Afterwards. A judge did order a mental competcency exam for him to determine whether he was competent to stand trial. He had a July fifteenth court appearance. Height pleaded not guilty to murder, evidence tampering, and giving false information to law enforcement, and will appear in court again on September third.
Speaker 2: All right, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, How dumb are you? You're gonna door dash a murder kit to your house?
Speaker 2: Well, apparently this guy is that dumb, very dumb. Maybe he didn't do it.
Speaker 1: We have to discuss this because it just seems every day, I don't know, the world is going to hell and handbasket Dylan, a seventy five year old man has been taken into custody and charged with murder and connection with the shooting of a construction worker. So this guy shot a construction worker, Sala's Hen Rahan, who was aged twenty. The guy was shot in the chest and taken to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead. And this elderly man, this seventy five year old George Barr, after shooting the man, took his dog for a walk.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Neighbors heard the popping sound and then they saw the homeowner, George Barr leaving the house to take the dog for a walk. Inside the house, authorities found a rifle with a bayonet and a contractor bill for seventy thousand dollars. When Barr returned from walking his dog, he was arrested and taken into custody on charges of murder, possession of an instrument in a crime, and reckless endangerment. This man was previously convicted of assault in nineteen eighty one. He is a retired firefighter and a Vietnam War a veteran. Han Rahan, a native of England, was the father of a baby girl. The Department of Homeland Security alleges he was part of a group that scams homeowners with overpriced and low quality construction or renovation projects, but police have not released a motive in the shooting yet. They report that money might have been a factor. So this man remains behind bars without bail. But you know, you just shoot someone and then take your dog on a lot.
Speaker 2: Your dog's got to go, and maybe you figure that you're not going to be there once you get back, like you might have to go to jail.
Speaker 1: Good grief. I just don't know how you can be so casual after you murder someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to order.
Speaker 1: Door dash and I'm going to take my dog for a walk. What is wrong with these people?
Speaker 2: I do not know what is wrong with these people that we live in a world some very strange crime. You just recounted their heather, Right.
Speaker 1: It's an odd week. Yeah, it's been a weird week, Dylan.
Speaker 2: Gosh, well, thank you for that. Thank you for that this sometime this week. I enjoyed it. And uh, yeah, well.
Speaker 1: I hope soon that we learn information about Nolan Wells's passing.
Speaker 2: I do too.
Speaker 1: I think I did see reports where like the Cajun Navy were kind of discussing some of the tides that could have affected maybe like where his body was found or drowning and that kind of.
Speaker 2: Thing to where he maybe went into the water. Okay, yeah, all right, well, yeah, that's pretty interesting when people get into the title currents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and speaking of that, I recently saw some new information they're trying to bring to light in the Scott Peterson case and they actually had some folks I guess who are mariners or who you know, discuss mariner issues like tide charts and tie you know, tables and whatnot that we're trying to say, like Lacy Peterson's body would have been dumped like in a completely different spot according to the tides to wash up where it did.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so they're saying the cops had it wrong.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, so that'll be interesting. I know they're trying to get him a new trial. They say they have some new evidence, some new leads.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny about the public is everybody instantly becomes an expert. Yes, because in this knowing case, I've seen people saying that his friends violated marry tom law, maritime law, marittime law by something that they did or didn't do. And I'm just like, like.
Speaker 1: You woulds an expert.
Speaker 2: Like you've ever uttered those and people are just all maritime law, maritime law, like you've ever uttered those words a day in your life. And all of a sudden, you're going to die on this heel about something you know absolutely nothing about until two seconds ago.
Speaker 1: I know this idea, and it really seems to be social media, I think is the driving factor. And we should blame social media that now everyone thinks they're an expert on all subjects all the time, and we're talking people who are probably barely literate, it's true, are experts on constitutional law, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or the world economics or market supply and demand.
Speaker 1: It's like down, Martha, you can't even balance your check book. I saw your photo posted at the grocery store that we're not allowed to accept checks from you. So why don't you be quiet?
Speaker 2: Martha's on the wall of shame exactly, all right. So I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their day, and we will be back soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got Larry Flint Part three.
Speaker 2: Larry Flint Part three.
Speaker 1: Sad, we'll be dropping that soon.
Speaker 2: Bye Dylan, Bye,