Speaker 1: All right, let's get a drive time Friday afternoon, eight minutes past the hour, two o'clock. It is a beautiful, picturesque day outside here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. We're looking at about seventy eight degrees, clear and sunny. Temperatures will warm throughout the course of the weekend, and as it is every single day, it's going to have you along for the ride. Spence checket's behind the mike porta Larson behind the glass producing the program today and booking the program today. We've got a good guest list man excited for this. Happy Friday to you. Congratulations, you made it. It is weekend time. Take a big, old deep breath and enjoy the fact that you made it through the week. Hope you have some fun weekend plans with this beautiful weather here in Salt Lake City, Utah and the surrounding areas. Maybe get out, do a little hiking, little biking, walk the dog, swing a golf club. We've got some NBA Finals action to talk about. I'll tell you what, never been one to do radio with the whole like put my feet in the cement on a hot take and be upset if I'm wrong. I like the rest of the free world that picked the Oklahoma City Thunder to win the NBA Championship. I picked them in five, which means they've got to win four straight. But I'll say right off the top, i hate the Indiana Pacers and I'll always hate the Indiana Pacers. Little PTSD working on it, therapy, reiki, healing, ayahuasca, just kidding, whatever I need to do to get over my childhood trauma of watching Reggie Miller torture my New York Knicks. Although that's not an entirely accurate narrative. While I will never cheer for this basketball team, I am so wildly impressed with them. Rick Carlisle is doing a masterful job. Tyree Saliburton, you know, was interesting watching the game last night. We'll get to it on the program, the first three and a half quarters. And I said this yesterday. I think it was during Crosstock with Sean when he asked me, you know, this whole debate about whether or not Tyree Saliburton is a legitimate superstar. There are so many long stretches where he just looks like one of the dudes in their rotation, and then ultimately he just has this ability to find a way to get it done when the moment calls for it. And if that's not the definition of a superstar player in pro basketball, I'm not sure what is. Oklahoma City had them in a stranglehold and just remarkable resilience from this group of players that are very good and talented. Let's be clear, I mean this narrative that they don't have talented players is incorrect. But my goodness, Indiana once again snatches victory from the jaws of defeat and they go up one zero in the NBA Finals after beating OKC last night one to eleven to one to ten. They did not have the lead until point three seconds left in the game. Now, if you're not familiar with the bio rhythms of NBA schedule makers, now we wait and we wait, and we wait and we wait two days between games. No reason for that. In my opinion, Sunday will be game two. That back at Paycom Center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. That crowd was awesome. The OKC crowd reminds me a little bit of the Salt Lake crowd when the Jazz are good. I know, kids, it's been a while. Hopefully it happens again before we all die. But that building loud and proud and crazy, but credit the Indiana Pacers. Sunday's game will be a six o'clock mountain time tip on ABC and then we go from there. The battle for Lord Stanley's Cup resumes tonight. If you miss game one, holy smokes, it was awesome, and tonight we'll see if we can get the same type of feel, the same type of intensity and passion, and hopefully overtime because over time the Stanley Cup Playoffs rules Panthers Oilers tonight, six o'clock mountain time drop of the Pucket Rogers Place in Edmonton, Alberta. You can hear that game here on this radio station. We are your home of both the Stanley Cup Finals and the NBA Finals in the market, so keep that in mind. Oilers up one zero rematch of last year's Stanley Cup, which was awesome in and of itself. So there we go. A lot to do on the program today with the NBA Finals and Stanley Cup Finals top of mind, awareness little off season NBA news already the proposed dramatic off season that people have discussed has already begun and apparently the New York Knicks are looking to speak with Jason Kidd, who currently is the head coach of the Dallas Mavericks, who have the number one overall pick in the NBA Draft. We'll talk about this. I'm not sure that I see how this goes down. If you're Dallas, you're asking for a lot. The Knicks do not have draft compensation because they essentially utilized all of it in the mckel Bridges trade. Only a few weeks away from the NBA Draft, where Utah Jazz find themselves with the number five and the number twenty one overall pick in the first round, a couple second rounders to boot. We'll see what the Jazz end up doing prior to draft night, or if they stay at five and twenty one and they look to just add a couple of young pieces and hopefully have better talent evaluation at their disposal. So far, the draft results over the past three off seasons have been mixed at best. So we'll do some Jazz offseason on the show today. RSL is idle this weekend, which is probably a good thing because they don't seem to be very good at soccer right now. Their next game will be the fourteenth June the fourteenth, as rslill take on DC United and then they only have one other game this month. Diego Luna has made his way to the US men's national team. With a little Cold Cup action for Diego and RSL unable to add talent until the summer transfer window, which opens I believe mid July ish. How about Yankees Red Sox tonight she do some more baseball as the summer kind of warms up. We have the French Open going on. Carlos Akaraz is in the final. That dude is just different, of course, and we have a little French Open tennis as well. The world of professional golf has their eye on the RBC Canadian Open, and my guy Nick Taylor, proud Canadian, has made a little move here. He is ten under. He's right behind Cameron Champ who won a corn ferry event in our market. We'll do a little golf on the show today too. Off season college football news Utah BYU style kind of idle right now. Most of the off season college football storylines are surrounding the house of the NCAA settlement, the proposed expansion of the CFP conferences, fighting with each other NFL off season news. Good riddance. Aaron Rodgers is a Steeler who gives a rip. So there you go. A lot to do on the show, good guest. Let's we'll start things off today with Christopher mad Dog Russo. Mike and the mad Dog was the first sports talk radio program I consumed as a youngster growing up in the Northeast footprint, where it really was the first kind of two man radio show format, where that radio station took a risk to believe that people would actually listen to two people talk about sports for hours on end every day, and people did, and it was a massive success. Chris is now on First Take with Stephen A. Smith. I believe those are Wednesdays when you see Chris Ru's daily show on Sirius XM does major League baseball stuff. He's still doing it at very high level. So we will bring in Chris Russo right off the top today. We'll talk some NBA playoffs. I know we have strong feelings on the NBA lottery where the Jazz found themselves. I guess I'll say falling a fifth, even though that was the most likely outcome with the way the lottery is set up these days, we'll bring in mad Dog right off the top today. Howard Back, one of our favorites, talk some NBA on the program, Zach Harper more NBA, NBA Daily CYS Style. My old radio partner, Gordon Monson stops by longtime sports columnists from the Salt Lake Tribune. I'm going to try to be really nice to Gordon today. His daughter got married and they went over to Hawaii for the ceremony, and I'm sure Gordon did not appreciate this, but his wife, Lisa, who I love. They're an awesome family, They're great people, was sending out a bunch of videos and Gordon was wearing a Foedora throughout the course of the ceremony. I'm gonna try not to only talk about Monton in a fedora today, but honestly, it's kind of the only thing I want to ask him about, because my guess is that was not his choice, that was probably handed to him. He has five daughters who are all very beautiful and very fashionable, and his wife looks like she's twenty years younger than he is, and she's gorgeous. So my guess is they were like, what do we do with dad? Well, let's just hand him a Fedora and let's see if he's able to pull that off. So when I saw the video, I actually texted Porter, I'm like, dude, you gotta get Gordon on the show so I can mock him for his Fedora. Chris Russo, Howard Beck, Zach Harper, Gordon Mont and me Spence check ats all of you the great listeners that guy, Porter Larson. Have you ever in your life warn of Fedora unironically or not for a Halloween costs you?
Speaker 2: No, not unironically, but I like to throw one on for a bit. You don't strike me as a Fedora guy. Yeah, I'm also not one who could pull it off if it were, if it were a thing. So yeah, no, no Fedora is in this house. All right, tell me this.
Speaker 1: So last night I'm watching the game, watching the game, and a couple buddies like, all right, Shay hits the layup. I think they go up seven with about ninety seconds left, and one of my buddies he's like, all right, that's done, it's over. Not enough time. I said, Oh, you didn't watch the next series. You didn't watch the Cavs series or the Bucks series, Like I will own my pick, and I still believe okay Se finds a way to do this. But I am so wildly impressed with the Indiana Pacers, even though I cannot stand team.
Speaker 2: It's pretty it's pretty remarkable. I mean, the way that they're winning games and the way that they're staying in games until you just give Tyrese Haliburton the ball on the last possession. It's it's fun to watch. It's probably unprecedented as far as the amount we're seeing it in the postseason. And he did it a bunch of the regular season two where the Pacers just stay close and then Tyrese Haliburton hit a last second shot. Now it wasn't all Tyree's. He had a you know, a kind of run of the mill game for him. Andrew Nemhard, Yeah, you know, good pick and role player, fine defender, although a little undersized, but there are moments in big games where he turns into Alan Iverson at the end of a possession. And man, it's a lot of fun to watch because they are going to turn this into a series that I don't think a lot of us expected coming in.
Speaker 1: I said yesterday, I'll take OKC in five. But the basketball fan and me just wants good basketball in a long series. So if game won's any indicator, maybe we'll get that, all right, Chris mad Dog Russo our first guest on this beautiful Friday afternoon. But before we get to mad Dog, courtesy about our good friends. Your good friends said Prize Picks. It is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Prize Picks is the best place to turn your sports knowledge into cash. With millions of members, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. You just pick more or less on at least two players for a shot to going up to two thousand times your cash. You can run your game all season long on Prize Picks. Do you know ball? There's only one series left in the playoffs and the championship is officially on the line. That means time is running out for you to put your final takes to the test on Prize Picks, the best place to cash in on your favorite sports and some good news. It is Friday. You know what that means. Today is Flex Friday. Make sure you opt in and tap the check box in your lineup builder to be eligible for the protected play. You can choose squares from any game on the board. If your lineup does not win, you get your net losses back in promo funds to fill up your promo limit as soon as the lineup settles. So download the Prize Picks out today. Use the promo cod ESPN seven hundred. They're going to hook you up with fifty dollars when you played that first five dollars lineup. You do not even have to win the five dollars lineup to get the fifty It is on the house. Download the Prize Picks aut today, use the promo cod ESPN seven hundred and get fifty bucks when you play that first five dollars line of prize picks. Run your game all season long. Also, our friends at Live Night Events present the twenty twenty five Granary Live Concert Series powered by Nightingale College in Murdock. Hyundai Utah's number one Hyundai dealer experience outdoor concerts in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City's Granary District. Find more details on ESPN seven under sports dot com. Last Night, Game one NBA Finals. Don't forget mad Dog Russo of First Take Fame and Mike and the Mad Dog Fame will be our first guest on this Friday Game one NBA Finals Oklahoma City, and it really, in a lot of ways was kind of fitting the script that most people thought it would. Early on, we talked about the potential of certainly Indiana looking nervy and playing a little bit loose for a young roster that's never been to the NBA Finals. Now OKC certainly as a young roster that's also been never been this far together, and they play a lot of young players, and Mark Dagnold decided to sit Isaiah Hartenstein and start Case and Wallace. I don't think he's gonna do that again. I'll tell you why later on. And Indiana certainly looked like the nervous team, a tremendous amount of turnovers and ugly turnovers too. Now, remember, as we talked about yesterday, Oklahoma City does a lot of things really well, but one of the main reasons they have been historic in their performance this year, already winning eighty plus games, a net that, ultimately, when you look at the way Oklahoma City beat teams all year long, their net quite literally was historic. Every one of the metrics that Oklahoma City has, both on offense and defense, indicated historic team. Their average margin of victory this year, which is what net is and differential, is plus twelve point nine. Just to give you some perspective, the second highest NET in the West this year was Minnesota plus five. Okay, the highest net in the East was Cleveland plus nine point five, which is really good, but plus twelve point nine when you are beating teams on an average of thirteen points to night, you are historically good. Top five offense, top five defense. All the metrics and the data, sorry people don't want data, whatever it is ultimately indicate that this is a historically special team that should win the World Championship. And I still believe they're going to. But the thing that they really do that makes them stand out among their peers, it's two tiered. They force you to turn the ball over and they take care of the basketball themselves. And then typically what they do is they capitalize on your turnovers to get points off of them. They did not do that last night. Okay, So Indiana they did finish with twenty four turnovers. I believe that was the number, twenty four turnovers, but twenty of them came in the first half, so they really really had a loose start to the game. Then they settled in and the second half and started taking care of the basketball. The problem is if you're Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City turned their twenty four turnovers into eleven points. Eleven points off at twenty four turnovers. It feels like that's a fake stat because if you get twenty four extra possessions, and if you just times that by two, and you're not gonna get a bucket off of every possession but forty eight points, you know, at least you want to get twenty five to thirty points off of twenty four turnovers. And that's at least they got eleven points off of Indiana's turnovers. So I'm watching the game last night, and it ultimately existed in this space where Oklahoma City was up between like eight and thirteen for like forty minutes or whatever it was, and that's where the game existed, but every time, the turnovers continue to pile up, and Oklahoma City was unable to capitalize on those turnovers. And Rick Carlisle said this himself at halftime. It's like, look, the bad news is we can't take care of the basketball. The good news is we're still within shouting distance because quite honestly, they should have been down twenty to twenty five at halftime and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma City should have won that game by twenty points last night. There's no other way to put it. If Indiana is going to be that loose with the basketball, you have to turn those turnovers into points. Now. Remember the other thing we talked about is when Mark Dagnault go small, he relies on his wings to go get rebounds, and he has good rebounding wings. You know, uh Lou Dort last night, you know a couple of big time offensive rebounds in the first quarter. Shay can rebound well for a guard. Jalen's a big bodied guard. Cason Wallace is not. I'll get back to this, Like I said, I don't think the Cason Wallace thing and the starting lineup is going to work for Mark dagnol We'll see what he does you're bringing Caruso off the bench. He's a good rebounding guard. But last night Indiana out rebounds Oklahoma City fifty six to thirty nine. Because Mark Dadnold decided he was going small, he was going to be stubborn, and Rick Carlisle, to his credit, did not do that. And actually Indiana got the rebounding from their guards in a way that Oklahoma City did not. Aaron Ne Smith had twelve rebounds last night, Tyrese Halliburton had ten rebounds last night, and Pascal Siakam had ten as well. Miles Turner, their starting center, was their third or excuse me, their fourth leading rebounder with nine. Because the guards rebounded so well, that allows Indiana to play small. And if Oklahoma City's going to be stubborn and do that, they need more energy on the glass from Chet, who only had six rebounds. It was a bad check game last night. He only played twenty four minutes because they were staggering minutes between Hart and Stein and Chet. I think that's going to change. Caruso was solid off the bench because he always is. This comes down to one thing, though, and this is not something you can measure. If you're an analytical guy who measures basketball with your calculator, and this is more of a ancillary and tangible. This is just a group that will not stop until there are zeros on the clock. And that sounds pining the sky kind of corny. There are plenty of teams in pro basketball that when the rubber meets the road, they feel like they're beaten, they're done. It's one, two, three, cancun and for Rick Carlile to be able to instill the belief in his players, and it is based off of results. Because Tyree Saliburton talked about this after the game, It's not just what they did last night. It's not just what they did to the Knicks. It's not just what they did to the Cavs or the Bucks. I mean, they've sent Giannis home, Donovan home, Jalen Brunson home, and I don't think they're gonna send SGA home. But they have the one zero elite. But it's not just what they've done in the postseason. This is who they've been since January. Since the start of January, the two best teams in Pro basketball Number one Oklahoma City Thunder, Number two the Indiana Pacers. These are the two best teams in the NBA since January. I just don't know how many teams, how many people are paying attention. This is who they've been, it's who they are now. A couple things last night that I completely completely whipped on. Porter referenced Andrew Nemhard's play in the fourth quarter. Now, aaron Ne Smith clearly has a little bit of an ankle thing still, even though he was a dog last night as well. But Rick Carlisle threw Andrew Nemhard on Tyree's or excuse me on Shae Gilgess Alexander in the fourth quarter to give aaron Ne Smith a bit of a break and nemhar get up about five inches de Sga. But that dude is a pit bull. I mean, I love the way he plays. He just gets up in you and he lets you know I'm gonna be here all night. So for all the conversation about the Tyres Saliburton game winner, and Tyrese deserves it, five either game winning or game tying shots with less than five seconds less than the playoffs. Okay, if you go back to nineteen ninety seven, since nineteen ninety seven, now this is a convenient way to frame it because nineteen ninety seven was the last year of Peake Michael Jordan, as Jazz fans know. But since nineteen ninety seven, Lebron James has eight game tying or game you know, giving your team the lead shots are in the final five seconds of a playoff game. Lebron has eight. In second place is Reggie Miller with five and Tyrese Saliburton with five, and Tyrese hasn't played near the amount of playoff games that those two have played, let alone. All the other people in that conversation, namely Kobe being Bryant, was surprised that he wasn't on the list. So certainly Halliburton came up clutch last night, but prior to Halliburton's game winning shot, he was a wallflower. This is why this debate about Halliburton is interesting. And I guess when it comes to your definition of a superstar, we can reasonable minds can disagree. But one of the reasons why, And by the way, I'm still in this space where I don't view Halliburton on the level of Jokic or Jannis or Luca or Sga, like he is not one of those players. Okay, if you ask any roster constructor in pro basketball name the players that you would most want to start your franchise with, Tyrese would not be listed alongside other than some of the other names I just mentioned. And last night was an indicator. As I'm watching the game, I'm like, where is he? You're too good to be a wallflower. He was rebounding and he's not a great defender. He was doing his best to keep up because Oklahoma City was doing everything they could to put Halliburton in their primary ball screen action to make sure that A it's a better matchup for Shay and b you make sure that Tyrese is tired down the stretch. But he didn't score his first points until like three minutes left in the first I don't even think he got a shot off. And certainly, being a star player, and if you're a league guard, it's much more than scoring. And like I said, he had ten boards and six assists, only three turnovers in thirty nine minutes against that defense as a lead guard is a good number. But I'm watching all game, I'm like, where is he? You know, we're seeing Miles Turner in a lot of action, We're seeing Pascal Siakum and once again was really good and Siakam is a great player. But I'm waiting for Haliburton to kind of show up, and sure enough down the stretch, as this eight to twelve point lead starts to dwindle and Oklahoma City goes more or less ISO for either Sha or Jalen, and they start missing some of the mid range shots and Nemhard hits his step back three against Shay when he shakes him, and it was really nice. I'm going, all right, this is kind of setting itself up one again for a tyresse Halliburton moment which lead us, which leads us to the final stanza where Shay was being guarded by Nemhard. He gets some separation and it's a great look. And for all the love Indiana deserves about their never say die attitude, the luck that they have been receiving, I mean the Halliburton game winner against the Knicks that went off the back iron, It bounced up like thirty feet. The TV camera lost it, and Shay gilgess Alexander when he gets to that spot free throw line extended about fourteen to fifteen feet away from the bucket. That is cash. That's the look you want, but he misses it. He goes along. Halliburton gets the rebound, and I said, right away when I saw that, it was Cason Wallace who picked him up. And look, Cason Wallace is a good defensive player. I'm not saying he's not. But if Rick Carlyle calls a time out, they get the rebound with ten seconds left, they instantly find Tyrese. He dribbles it up and Cason picks him up. And when I'm sure Rick Carlisle thought this, when Rick saw that it was Casein and not Lou Dort, who fights over screens, by the way, like he's a defensive end evading offensive lineman. It's amazing watching this dude guard and Tyreese couldn't do anything if Dort was the primary defender. But when Rick saw that it was Casin, no timeout, go ahead, guard Tyree Saliburton with Cason Wallace, who again is a good on ball defender. But Tyres is bigger than he is. And if you go back and watch the replay, it was bad defense from Cason. That's too much space to give tyre Saliburton. Now give Tyree's credit for shaking him and getting a couple of feet, but right when I saw that, because when Tyres has space, he's dangerous. He just has this weird little hitch push a set shot where it's tough for him to get space unless he they go one four flat and he's able to get some penetration with a step back. There was a cut from the right side that essentially drug Caruso close to the baseline, so Caruso didn't hedge out and help the case in, gave him too much space, and boom knocks down the mid range jumper point three seconds left. For all intents and purposes, game over. That building was stunned, and it was remarkable to watch Indiana do it again, five comebacks while being down fifteen points in the fourth quarter, like they're breaking every single record prior to last night, when teams were down nine in the final three minutes of an NBA Finals game since nineteen seventy one oh and one eighty two. Every single time Indiana does this, the stats and Info department comes up with a stat where you're kind of like, wait, no one has ever done what they've done before. This is a historic run, even if it doesn't end in a championship. But you know what, it just might it might be their year. All right, Briday's show rolled along here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. Our next guest, I like to call him a friend, but a mentor. First and foremost best known I don't know these days Chris Russo, Mad Dog of course, mister Russo best known for me with my the Mad Dog. My question out of the gates these days, what do you get recognized for the most first take?
Speaker 4: Okay, no question about it's ben Soir first take. You know, if I'm in New York, little Mike and the Mad Dog too, because you just said as a nineteen year show. But as far as the overall thing, if I'm bouncing around a little first take, that would be the one in the power of television see today, that would definitely be the one. Serious is a little different because it's you know, sort of a it's a it's a little nischy. So if am mass standpoint now, everybody kind of puts everything together right away, takes.
Speaker 5: Some a minute or two.
Speaker 4: The riders, Oh yeah, that's the guy. Mike and the Mad Dogs saw me plenty of times. It's different, and of course the first take you're on there constantly, so those the first take one is by far the best.
Speaker 1: Okay, then, yeah, that makes sense. And I certainly tune in when you're on that show, and I'm glad you brought that up. And I should lead with thank you so much for your time. You're very kind of do this. It's been too long. Every time I watch you on first Take, I have this thought like, is it is it different or is it similar to the way you and Mike approached the show back in the day, Because a lot of people don't necessarily remember, in my opinion, you guys were the origin of what the modern day debate shows have become. So this is not a new thing for you. Is doing first take different or is it similar to what you did with Mike and the Mad Dog back in the day.
Speaker 5: No, it's similar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's you know, it's a little bit more specific on a topic. It's not as you know, the Mike and the Mad Dog thing would do anything. It's it's a little bit more NBA NFL dominated. But and you got more than just two people in there, because it's very rarely just Steve and I. You know, sometimes it's you know, it could be football season. You got two or three different guys in their base a basketball season, you got two three different guys in there, so it's it's very rarely just at two of us. It's more of a trilogy per se. So I from that standpoint, it is a little different. But the from that from the amount of people. But I mean, the idea is the same. The idea is to move the needle. The idea is to give obviously your opponent a chance to talk. Your idea is to you know, give your opinion and hopefully it's organic enough and hopefully it's a situation where it's spurs debate, and hopefully it's opposite with your opponent.
Speaker 6: In this case, Steve passed.
Speaker 4: In other words, I might have one opinion, and if it really works properly, it would be nice if Steve had the other opinion and Mike and I the same scenario too. So I think there's you know, listen, debate shows on TV came from duet shows on radio, so it's the same theme. There are some intricacies that are a little different. You want to talk a little quicker on TV, you want to be eating out a little quicker. Radio is a little bit more of a filibuster element to it. But I mean it's the same idea holds both ways, same idea holds both ways.
Speaker 1: Chris Russo, I'm sorry, you're good and finish good.
Speaker 4: No, just have an opinion. I've that's the most important thing, to go out there and have an opinion and be you know, part of being good on radio or TV.
Speaker 6: Is being a salesman.
Speaker 4: You want to be able to sell your opinion even if you think or even if people don't think it's right. You want to make a good case for it. And for the most part, you try to do that a little more so on TV than you do on radio, but youre trying to make a good case.
Speaker 1: For it, for sure. Chris Russo, better known as the Mad Dog, as our guests here on ESPN seven hundred out of a Friday afternoon. You know, mister Russo, I'm gonna call you that all interview long. Probably you were one of the first people I thought about when the news came down that the New York Knicks had fired Tom Thibodeau. And it just has been so long since they've been relevant at all. And you know, four Playoffs appearances in five years back to back fifty win seasons for the first time since ninety four ninety five, first Eastern Conference appearance since two thousand and It's been so fun for me to watch this team rise to relevance again and reconnect with a lot of my friends that I grew up up with back Eastern Southern Connecticut and the surrounding area. And no part of me thought that he was in danger of losing his job. And I will allow and concede that I think he was probably up coach in the Eastern Conference Finals by one of the best coaches in pro basketball who's now in the NBA Finals. That we'll get to the finals in a moment. But what was your reaction when you heard the news that Tom had lost his job? And now that's been a few days. Why do you think it happened, and who do you think was behind the decision?
Speaker 4: Well, I listen, I never trust the owner, so I was you know, you never know of him, that's of course, Jim Dolan, you know, But I'm with you. After they beat Detroit, you figured they'd be in good shape. He would have actually been better off if they lost at Game seven of Boston in a classic series. Tatan doesn't get hurt, then beating the Celtics, wetting everybody's appetite, and then losing to Indiana the whole series and maybe this next one will be that way as well with Oka. See, but the whole series obviously turned on the whole situation with the with the with Game one with the fourteenth point lead, and the Natesmith making all those threes there and the you know, in the last thirty to fifty eight seconds of that game, and then of course the two miss vetos and the shot that Halburton took that bounced high and went in, and then overtime. The whole series changed with that.
Speaker 5: If the Knicks had won.
Speaker 4: That game, they would have been a minimum seventh game, and I think they would have probably won the series because I don't know if they would have lost the back to back game seven at home. So but once he beat the Pistons, I thought he was okay. Once he beat the Celtics, whoever thought he'd be And remember the Tatum injury had nothing to do with it, because you're up three one when he got hurt. Once they beat Boston, I thought that he was in great shape. I thought they beat Indiana, I thought it would be a.
Speaker 5: Very close series.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I thought that they would not lose back to back game sevens at home to the Pacers, So I thought they'd win that series. But you know, listen, I think it's a it's a group thing.
Speaker 5: First off, Dolan.
Speaker 4: Nobody makes a decision regarding the knicks of the Rangers of the head coach without going through Dolan.
Speaker 7: First.
Speaker 4: He's, hey, you got to write a check for thirty million dollars and because you got to pay him off, And you know, you can make the argument that Dolan made this form more than anybody else. A lot of people tell me that worldwide, wess who what?
Speaker 6: Who the hell is?
Speaker 8: See?
Speaker 5: Who knows? He's sort of an influencer.
Speaker 4: Brought Kenny Payne to Louisville, had that workout. A lot of people think he had something to do with it, because it was no secret that he and Thibodeau couldn't stand each other. And then he had Leon Rose, who you know, listens, got a lot on the line here. You know, made a band, say with Bridges, but he was the former agent for Thibodeaux, you know, I mean know, maybe he has I don't.
Speaker 5: It's really kind of hard to figure why.
Speaker 4: First off, it's a stupid decision, and Leon Rose has made good decisions. Dolan has stayed out of it for the most part. It appears in the last couple of years, so why would he get involved now? And Worldwide messages Worldwide Wes is not really in that decisive decision making, so it is tricky to pin it on anybody, but his is it. I would said if Jim Dolan wanted Tom Thibodeau to be his head coach, he would have told Rose and Worldwide West guys, nice guys, just as you said Spence back to back Eastern back to back fifty one years, I mean Eastern Conference final. I mean there's only two teams in the NBA who had better years that we did.
Speaker 5: Why not fire him?
Speaker 4: And he did not say that, So he's culpable too. And I think the fact that the Knicks are going to try to convince somehow, some way Jason Kidd in Dallas to come to New York tells you that they don't really have a plan B. I mean, their number one guy to replace Thibodeaux is an existing head coach signed to a big contract. I mean, that's their number one guy. That's a little lot who's going to coach Cooper Flagg and you're gonna have to give him compensation to get them. That is a little odd.
Speaker 5: So the next look terrible.
Speaker 4: Here they did a bad job. The whole world knows it was stupid. Thiberdeau's did a.
Speaker 7: Hell of a job.
Speaker 4: You want to say Carl out was a little better, all right, Well, then he was also better than Atkinson. He was also better than Doc Rivers, and now he might be better than dyk No, so let's keep that in mind too. But nobody in New York can quite figure it out. Everybody realizes this is a decision that was kind of difficult to stomach. So I feel badforit. Tiboto, he's out of a coach or see if he runs out of it again down the road. And I heard he's very down on what happened here. I think he was definitely surprised. I don't think he saw this coming, and nor did anybody else. By the way, here in New York City.
Speaker 1: It's almost like, don't look a gift horse in the mouth like this for the first time, mister Rousseau, the Knicks seemed to have played the long game and built up a team that had something to say about things in the Eastern Conference for a while, if they just allowed this process to continue, and what essentially made them more or less irrelevant in the landscape of pro basketball for nearly two decades, if not a little more, was impulsive emotion decision making from an owner that doesn't know his elbow from as you know what. And I thought, to your point, go build your sphere, go play your kazoo, go be in your band, stay out of it. Let the grown ups run the team. And this, to me is a couple of steps in the wrong direction. And it just reeks of Isaiah Thomas, Mike D'Antoni, Derek Fisher, Kurt Rambus, Jeff horniseack like and all of those people are you know, solid guys, and some are good coaches. And Mike Woodson did a good job for a minute there in New York. But it's almost like they reverted back to the emotional decision making that made them irrelevant for two decades after you finally built something up. And we'll see what happens moving forward, because the roster is still solid and they have a lot of good players. But these types of decisions are exactly why they were basically irrelevant for nearly twenty five years, you know.
Speaker 4: A hundred percent. And I actually think Indiana was better than the Knicks a player for player. I think the Knicks may have had, you know, the you know, with Brunson in Towns, you could say they had the two of the three best players. But I think if you look at the whole lobster bench, of course included, although in the Indiana's a little better. But yeah, this is a very puzzling decision. And Leon Rose doesn't make a lot of bad ones, so that he hasn't at least and he hasn't been impetuous, as.
Speaker 7: You just said.
Speaker 4: So that makes me think that somebody must have told him here something was going on, because he hasn't made these bad decisions with his coaches. He hired the right guy and he let a coach for five years and they were successful. So all of a sudden Leon gets over it. I mean, it is a little shan he's his former agent. It is very strange. I do know that that Thibodeau and Worldwide West did not like each other. Worldwide West has done nothing in his career, no rings, he hasn't won any college championships, He's never built a team, so the fact that but he's you know, he works for Rose so you wouldn't think he'd go over Roses head go right to Dolan. So that's why it's very puzzling. It's a very very strange decision. Nobody here can quite figure it out. You know, where they go now for a head coach? I mean again, you know, I don't think they want Mike Brown. I don't think they want Mike Malone. You know, I thought maybe Billy Donovan because he would be maybe easier to get. We'll see what kid. They know they're not getting the Houston coach.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, why would Dallas allow the Knicks to have kid without compensation? Knicks have no draft picks to give them. Now, why would kid want to leave Dallas anyway? I mean, they got Cooper Flanner coming there for crying out loud. He got to me seventeen years old. I mean, the guy might be an old timer, so why would you leave coaching him? I know the Eastern Conference is a little easier at least next year, but why would you leave that to come to work for Dolean.
Speaker 5: I would never do it, so we'll see where they go.
Speaker 4: But everybody puzzled, and it was a decision that reverberates that it makes the Knicks look bad. Just as you said, they haven't made a lot of bad decisions, and here they made a bad so one hundred percent right.
Speaker 1: One more thing here, And I do want to talk NBA Finals with your mad dog before I said loose, because I do think you know. The messaging as far as the statement goes. And then other sources that have leaked information across the landscape of the past few days is well, we want to take the next step, we want to win a championship. I could make the argument that this Nick team was ahead of schedule by beating Boston. I feel like they were put together with the idea of Boston maybe having one or two more years and then they're going to have to break their roster down because the new ownership group probably doesn't want to ride a luxury tax check of five hundred million dollars just to have the team. And so when the Celtics are broken down that I felt like this Nick team was ready to take that step. So I really think Tom actually brought them ahead of schedule this year going to the Eastern Conference Finals. But I think if they want to win a championship, they have a roster construction issue they have to figure out, and I think it comes down to Cat. Now, Kat just played some of the best basketball that I've ever seen him play in the spring. Okay, so I want to give him credit for that. But defensively, I mean, we talk a lot about Nie Smith making his threes in Game one. Those were walking practice threes with not a lot of defensive pushback, and more often than not, the only time I thought the Knicks had a chance in the series is when they were actually guarding. Now, this is not a team in the ILK of nineteen ninety five. Charles Oakley's not walking through that door, et cetera, et cetera. But I think if they want to take the next step, they've got a roster issue, and I think it comes down to Cat. Do you think they look at a deal for a Durant or a deal for a Giannis? I mean, even Lowry markin out here in Salt Lake is available. I'm not saying that makes sense, But if they want to take the next step, it doesn't matter if their coaches Tom Thibodeau, Jason Kidd, whoever. I think they have a roster construction issue. Do you think they adjust and pivot with their personnel this offseason?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think Giannis is coming here, so that's number one. I think if the Bucks, the Bucks won't call Anthony Towns. I mean, I wouldn't want call Anthony Towns to build my franchise around. That is not what I would want. So from that standpoint, I think if he goes anywhere, it might be Dispersed or Toronto. So I'm not in love with getting that. And You're right, the roster is where it is. I don't know exactly what they can. They have no draft picks. Based on that Bridger's trade, they only got a five I don't pay too much attention to this capologist nonsense, but they only got a five and a half million dollar mid level exception. And the other thing you got to remember with the next what would they bring in here?
Speaker 3: Ever?
Speaker 4: Bring ever they bring in here? Next year they go they're gonna get to the finals. I mean, you can't bring somebody here to lose in the conference final. What's the point of doing that and next year the East is gonna be very easy. And so as a result, if you somehow don't get to the final next year, you did, I mean, the Celtics don't have Tatum, Lillard's not playing for Milwaukee and beide, who knows. Uh, you know, you got Cleveland, We'll see how they respond, and you got Indiana. I mean, there's nobody else East thinks. So that puts an awful lot of pressure on a coach coming in here knowing that he'd better get to an NBA final if he doesn't want to hear from the fans. So, I mean, I think they're in a little bit of a tough spot. I completely agree, and I think they put more pressure on themselves with this decision, which I think is it puts It's gonna make everybody say, well, now you fire Thibodau and he even gets to the final, how come the next guy loses in the second round, how does he stay? So I think that plays into two. Remember before Thibodeau, they had twelve coaches.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, they won one playoff.
Speaker 4: I think it was twelve. In the last twenty five years, they've had twelve coaches. They won one playoff series. You know, Larry Brown and Derek Fisher and David Fizdale and you know, go on No.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 5: One playoff series with Thibodeau. They won five.
Speaker 4: So I mean, the next guy next year is gonna have to win three. I don't know what the knickt solution is. I think they're a good team. I think they're a tough team, but I don't think necessarily they are a championship team. And let's as we swing to Indiana quickly, let's remember this too. Maybe Indiana and losing to them is not gonna be such a big deal. I mean, maybe they beat Oklahoma City, and maybe they beat oklahomas and easier than they beat the Knicks after what we saw in Game one, where they continually do these miracle pullbacks and win these crazy games. And you know, I wasn't not impressed in Olahoma City last night. Who gave up, by the way, sixty something points in the second half. I'm allowed Indiana to shoot fifty two percent. So the idea that no.
Speaker 5: Listen, Okay, see constuc mback and win.
Speaker 4: But that was an awful, awful loss. So who knows, Maybe Indiana wins the whole thing makes the nick loss look a little better, So very issue. A lot of interesting issues with the nickobocracy here in New York, right, A lot of issues.
Speaker 1: One question about our local basketball team as we find ourselves in unchartered territory, you know, in the Miller's forty year stewardship of the Utah Jazz. More or less every year, while we've never won a championship out here, we've always had really good teams, and the rebuilds have only taken one or two years. And they were able to bridge the gap between stocked him alone to Darren Williamson Carlos Boozer, and then it was Gordon Hayward and then Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert. Were about to enter our fourth year of a rebuild after Ryan Smith bought the team from the Millers and Danny Ainge left the Celtics for the Jazz Austin as Danny Sun was just hired to run basketball operations. But I wanted to get your take, mister Russo on the lottery situation.
Speaker 5: Joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joe, Okay, yeah, good.
Speaker 5: I mean it.
Speaker 4: There's no way that Dallas and San Antonio should be wont to in a lottery and Utah would the fourth.
Speaker 6: Fit whatever dy be them all, Yeah, we're fifth with Wizards.
Speaker 5: I mean it's a joke.
Speaker 4: I mean the idea that the NBA has got to do this because these teams lose on purpose to get these picks the last fifteen twenty games of the year is an absolute disgrace. But I know they waited, we all know that, and it's ping pun balls and all that. But Dallas getso has a one point seven percent chance to win the lottery and they and they went Flag. I mean, that is a little lough. I don't know what the solution is, but it's it's a disaster. I mean, a jazz you're crazy and I don't like it. And if you're a Utah fan, you know Flag's the one guy you want to get. He's the one, at least on paper, the one guy there that is the transformational player. And he goes to a team that you know, traded Luca and they end up getting another kid now the next year, seventeen years of age. That's why I don't know why kid would have to leave when he's got this guy for the next fifteen years.
Speaker 5: I know it's the Western Conference.
Speaker 4: But I feel bad for you ton, I feel bad for the Wizards, and I feel bad for Charlotte. Those three teams had the worst records and they theoretically she get the three top players. Now, I don't know. You know, I understand these teams will lose. They give themselves the better chance to get that worst player. But uh, you know, I'm not sure what the solution is.
Speaker 5: But I've had enough with a lottery. They know Atlanta had.
Speaker 4: A three percent chance last year to win the lottery.
Speaker 7: They won it.
Speaker 4: I don't like it at all. It's a grand bag, it's a TV show, and I think something needs to be done. Your solution is better than mine. I don't know what exactly you could do.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you could just do in verse order the way pro football does. Right, You just reward the top pick to the worst team. Now, that doesn't de incentivize tanking, which Commissioner Silver has gone on record saying he very much wants to do. But I think the tough thing for us out here in Salt Lake is we're looking at an NBA finals with Oklahoma City in Indianapolis, and over the past five or six years, teams in Milwaukee and Denver have been able to win championships in Minnesota has a good team, and Denver still will have something to say about it as long as they have Nicola Jokic. We've entered mad dog, this era of parody where teams in smaller cities have been able to build up really, really competitive and championship level teams. And I think I'm just afraid that, you know, the Jazz are going to miss out on this opportunity to build a championship team during this era where teams in smaller markets have been able to do just that.
Speaker 4: Boy, you got to be you have to be lucky. You got to be terrible when that big player comes out, is what it comes down to. You know, san Antonio was terrible, There's Wemba yema uh and I got the top pick Dallas terrible to get flagged.
Speaker 5: He's going to be great. You would think top pick.
Speaker 4: You know, you need to be out of what Giannis pick was. I don't think he was the top pick. But the bottom line is you need to be an awful basketball team and then at the right time that the right player comes out of college is what it comes down to. And Utah hasn't had that advantage. Yet Noah's Charlotte, nor is Washington. Know those kind of teams, and you know, the NBA is about the great player. You got to get one to win one, and there's only about ten or twelve out there. You know, Giannis is one of them, indeed, healthy as one of them. We all know about Jokic, he's certainly one of them, Luca probably one of them.
Speaker 5: Lebron was one of them.
Speaker 4: You need one of those guys to build your team and have a chance to win. I'll let you want to get lucky with a guy like Curry who turns out to be an old timer when he was the seventh ticket the draft. So tricky start for the Jazz. They've been a great franchise, run properly, but sometimes luck is involved here too. They great there for those years in the nineties, and they got to sit there and I got to deal with Jordan so and they lose a couple of tough series. So it's it's tricky. I mean, it's it's very, very hard to win these championships.
Speaker 5: You know, there's a.
Speaker 4: Reason why the Celtics and the Lakers or they got about thirty two of the seventy championships. I mean, you know, that's the very few. You know, Jordan's got six, but Bron's got a half of whatever. He's got four or five.
Speaker 5: Let's see what he's got.
Speaker 4: Four, right, the woman, the Lakers two with Miami woman, Cleveland, you know, the Curries got four. You know, the one great player dominates and wins a lot of these rings. And Utah hasn't had that great player yet. So obviously stocked in great and Malone great, but they ran into Jordan. For the most part, they haven't had those great players yet, that one transformational player.
Speaker 1: All right, before I set you loose, you referenced it earlier, and like everybody else, I picked Oklahoma City. I actually picked them in five. And it's funny, dog. I was watching the game with some buddies last night, and after Shay hit the layup to put them up seven with about I don't know, ninety seconds left or so, one of my buddies said, well, Okay, that's it, that's over. I said, no, it's not. You didn't watch any of the nick and yeah, the series said tight, let's see how this ends. I am so impressed with them, and I'm so impressed with Rick Carlisle. No part of me will ever be able to cheer for the Indiana Pacers. But last night made things really interesting. I think I'm still leaning okay see, but after last night, what say you about these NBA Finals?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, listen, you can begin to start to think it just happens to be Indiana's year. I mean, it went four games like they've won in this postseason is miraculous. Last time may have been the biggest one. Well, I guess the nick game was in Game one, they were down five more points, but you know the fact that they only led for three tenths of a second, I mean, geez, and then it was the last basket of the game. You know, I thought, okay see, in six, I did think Indiana would be very competitive in this series.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I know, Okac recovered against Denver and had a great game two after they lost kind of a similar game in that first game. But this team right now is more dangerous than Denver was. They're a younger team, They're a hungrier team. They got more of a you know, this year, they got more of a foundation under him, They got a bigger belief than Denver had. I think you know, Denver a coaching change and you know, only won the fifty games anything else. And I think okay See was very familiar with Denver. They're not as familiar with Indiana, so this would be And I think Indiana in game two, well they got doing game two. Don't get blown out, you know, don't throw away that first game by getting killed in game two. I think Denver kind of did that in that second game where they got destroyed and never competitive. Don't let Oklahoma City have an easy game. Put stress on them. Make that game anybody's game with eight minutes to go, and if you lose, you lose, but you make Oklahoma City get little nervous. And I think that would be interesting to see how okay See handles that.
Speaker 5: Now. They did handle that.
Speaker 4: Denver game four well, when they were down you know, eight nine points in the fourth quarter and they came back to win. And they did handle game five well, don't get me wrong, because they were in trouble.
Speaker 5: They were at to to two.
Speaker 4: But Indiana's got loose something going on right now. I would agree with you, Spence. I still think the okay See probably will win. Uh, but you know, and Indiana's a goodbye. It's worth a shot because of that calma and that belief. And remember, okay, see now I said this is the deep end of the pool here. This is not the second round. This is deep end of the pool against a team that has been around a lot with a big coach. So we shall see. But it's got a chance to be a good series. Now, how's a chance?
Speaker 1: Well, mister Russo, always a pleasure. I still listen whenever I can. And as I often say when people ask me when I wanted to get into this business, it's when I used to listen to you and Mike driving around town. And so I appreciate your time and know you're busy. I'll set you loose and again, thanks so much. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I stance.
Speaker 4: You do a wonderful, wonderful job.
Speaker 5: You're a good talk for host and your own man's a good man. You know that I love you for all.
Speaker 1: No, that's kind of you. Appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Have a great show today, Okay, okay, buddy, appreciate all right.
Speaker 1: The great Chris Russo, mad Dog Mike and the mad Dog one of my uh uh really uh, I would say, kind of muses or rosebuds, did me me consider doing this for a living in a number of different years ago, and Chris is still doing it at a very high level. You can see him. I think it's Wednesdays with Stephen A. Smith on First Take. He has his own show daily on Sirius XM special thanks to Chris Russo Mad Dog stopping by to start the show off.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: Zach Harper will join us from the Athletic in a bit. Gordon Montson, my old radio partner from the old days at the old station, longtime columnists from the Salt Lake Tribune as our guest later on. A lot of powerhouse writers on the show Today. Howard Beck, one of our favorites from the Ringer on a Friday, Howard, Happy Friday, sir, how are you?
Speaker 8: I'm doing well, Happy Friday. Thank you for bringing me into war on drugs one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: All I want is the Howard Beck stamp of approval on our musical choice. So you've made my Friday. You have made my weekend, Howard. We will start with news that was made out this way. I don't know if you know, Austin Ange. I don't know if you've ever been able to meet him or get to know him at all. Ultimately, he has been hired as the new basketball excuse me, the new president of basketball operations for the Utah Jazz, and Ryan Smith himself said during the press conference that this is now the loudest voice in our front office. This is Austin show. He has final say, meaning his dad reports to him, meaning Justin Zanik, the general manager, reports to him. So it's not as topical as some of the other things we'll get into, but we are in Salt Lake City. Howard, what's your reaction of the hire that was made this week?
Speaker 8: Honestly, I am barely like dug into it myself, just because I'm at the NBA Finals in Oklahoma. I've you know, obviously been trying to also dig around on some Nixon Tibbs things and everything else, and like everybody else, I did not.
Speaker 7: See this coming.
Speaker 8: I did not know they were going to make a hire. I did not know that hire would be another member of the empire. I kind of just assumed that, you know, Danny with whatever his title is CEO, Chief Executive of being Danny Ainge, that that he and Justin Zanik kind of had this thing pretty well staffed. Those are two seasoned hands and two really smart people. So I'm curious to understand. And I did not catch the press conference. Again, it's just been a bonker's week, so I did not see the press conference. I saw a couple of the comments from from Austin about not wanting to take anymore, but that should be what anybody would say at the stage. That's not surprising how this all works, whether it's chain of command, whether it's what the philosophy is now why they felt they needed another executive in there. I'm honestly, you know more than I do right now. I am still trying to get a grasp of it, but I'm busy running between NBA Finals.
Speaker 1: Games, certainly, and I'm going to stretch to try to make this a little more topical and then we'll get to the things where your energy has been allocated. But you'll be able to handle this just fine, Howard. So here we go. If I look at this from a positive spin, what ownership out here has done. They've extended Will Hardy until twenty thirty. Their front office is now solidified and in place, and it's kind of the anti Jim Dolan Nick approach Now, of course you need players. It doesn't matter who your coach is, it doesn't matter who your front office is. But for a team that's won thirty three percent of their games for the last four years, to extend their coach and extend their belief in the front office, I suppose that is an approach that does lead to stability in hopefully given time, the right choices are made. So again, while the product on the court continues to suffer and they've got to find players, at least, what Ryan and Ashley have elected to do is lock in a coaching staff in a front office for a number of years. If we can look at that as any sort of a positive, I.
Speaker 8: Think it is the first step in any of these situations is hire the right people, empower them, and especially if you're a team that's in some semblance of a rebuild, you've got to give them the time to do it now. It's not in perpetuity, and if they're doing it badly, of course you have the right to as the as the owner of the team, to reevaluate, reassess, and dismiss them if they're not doing it. But you've already hired some of the smartest people around like, just you know, and you've signed off on the let's blow up the team we had with Mitchell and Gobert. Let's go into what was I think, frankly kind of a you know, a half hearted rebuild slash, well we're going to retool on the fly thing that I, as you know, I never thought was the right idea that you're either all in or all out, and they needed to just be all in on the tank from the start. This is the first season they really embraced that. I thought they should have been doing it the last couple of years, and then at backfires to the extent that they did not get the top pick in the draft or even a top three pick, And at some point you have to kind of, you know, decide what is our way out of the morass the unfortunate thing. And Zach Loh and I just talked about this on his pod that'll be posting later today, so people can go listen to us talk about the jazz quite a bit on that. But you know the difficulty is whatever you decide to do, whether you're trying to augment around lowry marketing, or whether you decide the actual path forward is to trade lowery market in nothing is getting you back in the mix in the near future anyway, because most of the teams ahead of them are firmly ahead of them. Then there's no obvious teams to just really you know, fall off a cliff. So you probably need to be patient anyway. And I think back to your premise and your question or statement about just the the you know, vote of confidence in this group and having continuity. Continuity is good when you have the right people, and they have the right people. I think they have the right coach. I think they have the right front office. Austin Ainge and I have only met a couple times over the years. I don't know him well, but you know, obviously he and Danny both really smart basketball people. I know, justin a smart basketball person, you've got the right people in place, and then sometimes it just takes a little bit of patients planning, a little good luck, a little opportunism. But they're in a very difficult spot because they happen to be in a Western conference that's absolutely act where even the teams that are not contenders are really strong and it's just hard to leapfrog anybody. So you do have to look at your time horizon and say, where is our opportunity to jump back in the mix, because it's not tomorrow, it's not this next season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no it's not. And that's why one more thing here then we'll move on. I would imagine if you and Zach discuss this situation you discussed Austin saying we're not tanking anymore, which is all fine and good, But the Jazz is on a top eight protected pick that goes to Oklahoma City if it falls out of the top eight, And look, I don't know your opinion on this roster. If they decide to go best foot forward and play the Vets seventy seventy five games, Marketing plays, Kessler, plays Collins Sexton, all the Vets play seventy seventy five games, or whatever the fear I think in the approach of simply okay, we are going to try to compete, which I think is a good thing when you look at the lack of integrity they use to approach the unserious competition element of the organization a year ago. I mean, you do want to see the team you cheer for to try hard every night. But if we're sitting in your next spring and they've won thirty five games, and Mark Tatum pulls out the number nine envelope and it's the Jazz and that goes to Okay. See that's a massive step, Howard in the wrong direction.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that would be that would be a blow. I mean, and that was, of course, you know a different version of this, but that was you know, the sixersphere, you know, a couple of weeks ago, when they were in this position with a pick. That was of course also with Oklahoma, because everybody owes their picks to Oklahoma. I think, listen, I think that that mere fact suggests that, yes, they should plan on being bad enough again to keep their pick. The fine line between that and quote unquote tanking is the scenario you just outlined. And it's interesting.
Speaker 7: Play all the vets.
Speaker 8: Zach just said this on the pod that we like literally just recorded twenty minutes ago. Zach said, listen, they can play all the Vets, all the guys that you just named, and there's still probably a lottery team, there's still probably the fourteenth team in the West. But at least it would be a respectable version of that. Hey, we tried and we just lost because we don't have the talent, we don't have the guns, but it would be I think more palatable to the fans. I would think the record wouldn't.
Speaker 7: But the product would be.
Speaker 8: It'll be more palatable to the NBA League office where they won't have to find you for playing games in shenanigans with injuries and fake injuries and guys just disappearing. So and that's why I think the stronger case tanking or no tanking the stronger case here. With lowery marketing at twenty eight or whatever and firmly in his prime and with no sense that this team was going to turn it around soon ish, it makes more sense for lowry marketing to be somewhere else. And he's got value around the league, and there are teams that, you know, maybe lowery marketing a way from going from play into play or from six seed to four seed or whatever. He's a great, complimentary star, but he's not a leading man. And you know, I don't know what you'd get if you put him on the market tomorrow, but I think whatever you got, would you know, put you that much further along toward whatever the next era will be, because I don't think that he's part of the next winning or at least not the next high level winning team.
Speaker 1: Well, and with the final stuff, but you reference the New York Knicks electing to move on from Tom Thibodeau, which I just still cannot wrap my mind around. I've read a lot of takes, I've listened to a lot of takes, and there are a lot of people that claim they have sources here there about it being player driven, the whole CAAA thing, even though Tom was a CAAA guy and Leon was his agent. I would venture to guess that a guy like Tom Thibodeau probably does not like a guy very much who goes by the moniker of Worldwide West. I can understand that. And they have an owner that has a reputation of making rash decisions based off of emotion in the moment, which is why they've been irrelevant for twenty five years. I think it's so dumb, and we'll see what happens next. But throughout the course of your conversations, what were the reasons and who ultimately was behind this decision to let go of Tom Tibodeau.
Speaker 7: It's a mixed.
Speaker 8: Bag, and in the moment that it happened, and like we taped a podcast, We taped The Real Ones podcast Logan Murick and I like immediate after this and in the in that moment, I was like talking, I'm not quite in circles, but I was definitely like I could see it this way. But then there's also this, it's very it's complicated to me. I don't think it's black and white. And I understand like where you're coming from on.
Speaker 5: This, but.
Speaker 8: Yes, this was by far the best era of Knicks basketball in a very long time, in a quarter century. Five very good seasons, back to back fifty win seasons, first conference finals in twenty five years.
Speaker 1: All that.
Speaker 8: Timms deserves a lot of credit for that, but it's not just him, Like the most important reason that they're respectable again, as Jalen Brunson and Jalen Brunston joined the Knixt in part because Jalen Brenson has close ties to Leon Rose, to that front office. There was obviously they got charged with tampering or they were guilty of tampering that leaked, docked them a couple of second round picks or whatever it was. Because of the Rick Brunson element here, Jalen Brunson is the most important reason. Tims is among the important reasons.
Speaker 7: But this is also a team that they've made a lot.
Speaker 8: Of smart moves. I mean, they went out and got oh g Anobi, they trade and were willing to pay him. They went out and got Josh hart who wasn't exactly in high demand at the moment that they plucked him, Isaiah Hartenstein, Devencenzo, all the guys they've gotten along the way, and Tibbs created a culture and an ethos that I think was really important in this re emergence. And they got the players who fit him, because that's really important. They got players who were grinders and who would respond to a Tibb's type of approach where this so he deserves, like Timms is all the credit in the world, in addition to obviously everybody else I just named.
Speaker 7: They are now.
Speaker 8: But you do have to reassess at a certain point, or assess is And it's not just because they lost in the conference finals. This isn't oh, they didn't make the finals, we're firing the coach. By everything I've been able to gather over the last couple of days and by no means, there's this definitive I won't say that like I have the definitive version of this. You can find a lot of different versions as you're calling around. But I think that the reservations that the front office had, and I'm loathed as much as I've covered the next over the last twenty years and been in New York, I'm loth ever dismissed the possibility this is just Dolan being Dolan, But I don't think that that was what was going on in this case. I think this was Leon Rose and Leon and Tibbs have been you know, tight for a long time too. Obviously Leon's the one who hired him. I think there was a consensus conclusion in that front office that all the things that you and I already know about tips, or that the criticisms that we've all heard, that those things were a concern, whether it's the minutes for the starters, the lack of trust in the bench, the lack of development of the bench, and then finally going to the bench kind of a too little, too late scenario in the conference finals, which just underscored why you should have been playing them sooner, because these guys have had very little run and very little time to get comfortable with each other or with the rest of that lineup. There's also you know, in today's NBA we talk a lot about alignment. You want the front office and coach to kind of have a similar vision. Doesn't always happen. We saw how badly that can go in Denver with Michael Malone and Calvin Booth basically blowing each other up, and they both got fired. And that goes back to again developing the bench. You need you know, again Denver and New York both you need a coach who's going to trust the front office's investment in certain players in the front office needs to trust the coach and then develop them. So there's all these things, and I think there were moments over the last couple of years, pre dating the actual firing, where there were conversations about is he the right coach to still go forward with. I've also talked to a couple of coaches around the league the last couple of days, and these are coaches who strongly admire TIBs, other veterans who have been around a long time, and who basically told me, listen, there are some limits because of the way he coaches and because of the style that he coaches and like, look at Jalen Brunton and how much he dominates the ball and you want to put it on brunts and you could say that, but the coaches is the one who decides how to what style of play. They are very half oriented, but they also like I think tops in the league in shots taken in the final seconds of the shot clock, and the deeper in the shot clock you go, the lower efficiency the shots are, so that they need more innovation in that offense. They need to empower Mchail Bridges and Karl Anthony townsmore after acquiring those guys, and they can both do stuff with the ball in their hands. Like there are fair criticisms of TIBs and the limitations that came with him. That was a very long winded answer.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry it was a long winded but good ants. And I mean the one area I would offer pushback will completely admitting my bias about the way I feel about Tom as a person and a coach, is when you look at their bench. I mean they've got six and a half players, maybe seven. I mean, if you're going to stretch and play campaign and precious Atua, you know Landry Shammitt, Like, I think it's also fair to bring up that that's not a very deep roster in my opinion, and I think it's hard. The criticisms about Tom waiting until the Pacers series to dust some of these guys off totally fair because we had Delon right out here.
Speaker 7: To you.
Speaker 1: I mean, he is somebody who has more capabilities as a ball in hand guy than he is shown. They basically only used him as a defensive stopper, but he's not a horrible offensive option. But he no confidence because he hadn't played in so long. But the one pushback I would offer to your answer is I don't see a ross or the Tom was handed with very much depth.
Speaker 8: In my opinion, I wasn't real fond of that bench either. But what we did see, and this is where it backfires, right, you put in deln Wright and Landry Shammitt and suddenly they actually got some good minutes out of them, and those that was like he Tom got credited as he should for making that adjustment in the series and it helped them in those games, which then makes you question, well, then why weren't they good enough to play in the regular season.
Speaker 10: The other piece of.
Speaker 8: That is guys do like players are creatures of habit. They need the rhythm and the familiarity and also the confidence of the coaching staff and of their teammates. And if you haven't been playing them for months and then you're dusting them off at a key moment, you're probably not going to get the best out of them. But I think there's a case to be made. And yeah, these are fringe rotation players to be sure, but would they have been better rotation players if you had played them a little in the regular season. And the thing with Tips has always been he plays every single game and you could spin this positive, spin this negative, but he plays every single game like the fate of the universe depends on it. He wants to win every single game. And I think that was really beneficial to the Knicks at a time when they were just trying to become respectable again, competitive again. But it backfires potentially when you're at a stage like this where you need guys a little fresher for the playoffs. Other teams are really you know, their their depth is not just because they got better players, but because they invested in those players and played them a lot. And now your guys are gassed when their guys are fresh, because they're going ten deep and you're going seven. And so I you know, there's always a little bit of blame to go around on something like this. I do think their bench could be better, should be better. But I also think that TIB's waited too long. And you know that's again, that's only one piece of this. When I when I was there, was a coach I was talking to the other day, again, somebody's been around a long time. Assistant coach, has been in a lot of different stats, coached under a lot of different coaches, and he said that Tom was coaching like it was still the nineties. And I said, whoa like? You mean offensively, he goes both sides And that was a little surprising to me.
Speaker 1: So who, ultimately do you think they land on, because honestly, no matter who it is, I don't know that they get back to the Eastern Conference finals. Now there's a case to be made that Boston has some decisions to make, and there'll be without Tatum. Indiana's probably already put themselves in the mix to be the favorite right out of the gates, and there are so many questions with Giannis. Can any of these younger teams take steps up like Detroit, Orlando or whatever, so they'll be in the mix. But based off of what I perceived to be a roster that needs a lot of work, If a coach takes over for Tom and goes back to the Eastern Conference Finals, I'd be widely impressed because I think Tom really did something that nobody saw coming even a little bit of a head of schedule, that they actually got to the Eastern Conference Finals. And I think we've all heard a lot of the names out there. Who do you think ultimately they land on Howard and why?
Speaker 8: I have no guess as to who they land on. My buddy mark Stein has been reporting today that Jason Kidd is not just on their radar, but that they've actually asked for permission from the Mavericks to speak with him, and it's not clear whether the Mavericks are going to grant that permission or not. And then it would be a question of can you figure out a compensation package?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 8: Like, we haven't seen this in a long time. We refer to it as a trade. It's not really a trade, it's more just compensation. But you know, Doc Rivers going from Boston to the Clippers, and the Clippers gave the Celtics a first round pick as compensation from letting him out of his deal. The Knicks don't have a lot of first round picks to spare after sending all those picks to the nets for mkhail Bridges, so giving up draft capital doesn't seem like a wise move to go get a coach who I don't know if Jason Kids an upgrade over Tom like he's different. Whoever they get may not be necessarily quote unquote demonstrably better, but just different, right, And I think different as what they're looking for right now, just a hunch on my part, I think Taylor Jenkins makes a lot of sense for them. I wouldn't be surprised if they went that direct. I don't think it'll be Michael Malone for reasons that I've already kind of alluded to. And I just think that what they're looking for now is somebody who one is more of a relationships guy. That's not Tibbs's repid reputed strength. So relationships, whether it's you know, the front office, players, whatever, somebody who's a little bit more of a relationships guy. A communicator, and then to somebody who might be a little bit more innovative, I would say not more than maybe, but is more innovative on the offensive end and is going to do more to make this less brunts and centric, and assuming that Bridges and Towns are still on the roster, utilize those guys because you know, they put a lot in to get those guys and to diversify the offense. This is one of the most expensive starting fives in the NBA and for good reason. Yeah, the bench, you know, we we've talked about, but like it's because they're top heavy and there's more I think ability to exploit that talent. Then we saw this.
Speaker 1: Season all right, moving over to you know, teams that are still playing basketball. Since you were present for the events that last night, you know, I was talking about this earlier. I was watching the game with a few buddies and Shay was able to hit that layup. I think it put him up seven with like ninety seconds left or whatever, and one of my friends said, all right, well, that's probably it, and I said, oh, you haven't been watching the playoffs, because let's sit tight here and see how this goes down. There are so many Bull's eyes. We could aim at Howard, but I'll give you the space. What were your takeaways from watching yet another Indiana comeback and then being up one zero in the NBA Finals?
Speaker 8: Just stunning. I mean I was at the garden for a couple of those Haliburton moments, and of course we've all watched, you know, the other moments he's had against Cleveland and Milwaukee. It's almost just almost expected at this point, like he pulls it for that shot, He's like, of course he's gonna make it. This is just what he does now, Tyres Haliburton has become one of the best postseason clutch shooters of all time in the space of about a month, like these were all like iconic, incredible shots and stretches of shots, and it's it's it's remarkable. The guys just cold blooded and what a fun moment. Unless you're a thunder fan, this is one of the loudest I think it might be deloud us to read in the NBA. I hadn't been here a long time. I'd forgotten, and just last night it was a rude reminder of just like how much it hurts your ears, and you know, to be able to silence that place is a feat into itself. I don't know there's anything to drop in that game basketball wise, only because like, not because it's fluky, but it's because like you can talk about all the adjustments and schemes and everything in the world, and yes, there are there are, you know, things that that the thunder could have done better here or there where you know, one basket would have made a difference and they don't lose.
Speaker 7: But sometimes it's.
Speaker 8: Just the the you know, the talent of one guy being able to hit a shot like that in a moment like that.
Speaker 1: So ultimately, this conversation about who Halliburton is is a little bit exhausting because ultimately, I suppose a superstar player is left to the definition of the individual who's having the conversation. I'll ask you, though, because you were really high on him a long long time ago, is is he better than you ever thought he could be based off of how he's evolved.
Speaker 8: I thought early on in Sacramento. And that's funny because at the time, Kings folks were talking about, like we we think he's really going to be a really good defender across three positions and everything else. And it's funny because the defensive part of it has kind of faded or receded over time as he's emerged more as a as a playmaker and scorer. He's not your prototypical high usage guard in the mold of like a Harden or Westbrook or anybody you know in this in this age who you know everything revolves around me. Gayalen Brunson would be another one, or you know certain versions of Trey Young, like Halliburton part he's more like Steve Nash where he's gonna like get the ball up court quickly. He's gonna make those hit ahead passes. He's gonna pass it early in the shot clock and then maybe it'll come back to him and maybe it won't, but it sets the tone for the whole team. And so his selflessness is part of the the allure there where he can do some things with the ball in his hands, but he's not the classic I'm just gonna like, you know, back you down, or like beat you off the dribble or you know, iso at the elbow, and like it's not revolving around him. He's not gonna dominate the ball and dominate the offense and then he's got this funky, unconventional shot, but he's he's such a embrace the moment kind of player. There are guys who can average twenty five thirty but aren't necessarily that great in the clutch and maybe don't necessarily want those moments again, James Harden comes to mind, and then Halliburton's the inverse where he's not high usage. He's not gonna necessarily dominate the ball or drop thirty five every night, though he's capable of doing it on occasion, but he's gonna play a really efficient game. He's going to keep the ball moving, he empowers his teammates, and then when it's showtime and it's crunch time, there's no shot that's too big for him or.
Speaker 7: A moment that's too big.
Speaker 8: For a minute, it's incredible, Like that's an uncanny thing that you cannot properly quantify.
Speaker 7: You just watch a.
Speaker 8: Guy do that over and over and you go like, Yeah, that dude is clutched by definition, and he's got something special and it's harder to find. You just know it when you see it.
Speaker 1: I know you're not big on predictions, but before I say you lose, I'll ask you like this, like the rest of the free world. I picked Oklahoma City to win the series. I said five games. They'll have to win four straight to do that. I still lean that way. I don't know that I feel like it's five. And I also I will put the disclaimer that as a basketball fan, I just want to see really good games, and I would love to see seven really good games. If that was the case, it would be awesome or one for one. Oklahoma City has already been installed as a ten point five point favorite on Sunday night, So I know you're not big on prediction, but as far as what you saw last night, do you do you feel like you know there's still a genuine possibility that OKAC makes this a short series. Does it feel like it's gonna be long with a lot of really close, fun games.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I picked Oklahoma in five as well. Before the series started, so I was present for and covering Lakers six Ers back in the day when the Sixers stunned them in Game one yep, first first postseason loss of that postseason for the Lakers, and then the Lakers just stomped them for the next four games. That's a little different when you you know you got Shack. Shay is awesome, but he's not Shack, and I don't expect we're going to see that play out. So probably the thunder and five that you and I both picked is probably not the case. But thunder and six certainly feels like a possibility. But like I mean, there's a certain point where, no matter how many times we see it, we're still a little not just skeptical the Pacers. It's not disrespect just like, yeah, the thunder just have more there's more reasons to believe in them than the Pacers at this stage. But when the Pacers have done what they've done over and over again to find expectations so many times, taken down all these teams that were higher ranked and with better records, at a certain point, maybe we should just sit back and say this series is not as clear cut as we thought it was, and maybe the Pacers can win this thing. And look, they stole home court advantage, hit they won in one of the toughest buildings in the NBA. I'm done predicting.
Speaker 7: How about that?
Speaker 1: What does a hip Brooklyn NBA rider do with two free days on his hands in Oklahoma City?
Speaker 7: I'm I'm working man like this.
Speaker 8: It's not like days off, like there was no practices today. That's how they always build the schedule. There's there's no availability after game one, but they have practice tomorrow and then we'll have game two on Sunday. There's some downtime, but like you know, listen, I'm making calls and trying to find out what the dicks we're doing with tips and trying to figure out, you know, working on some other stories along the way.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 8: I did hit my favorite breakfast spot here that I had. They do like an old day breakfast that I had not been there in years. Kitchen three, two four, absolutely phenomenal. Ran into multiple NBA types over there, so clearly the secret's out. There's no secret actually there. It was like a forty five minute wait, but that's it. Like I'm going, I'm just looking for good food, spence and trying not to melt in the humidity out there.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I like the positive attitude. Howard, Thanks for the time, have a great weekend and we'll chat soon.
Speaker 7: Thanks buddy, all right, man Ticre.
Speaker 1: Howard Beck covers the NBA for The Ringer. He has been at Sports Illustrated, The New York Times, the La Times. He's been one of my favorite NBA riders for probably twenty five years now. I always appreciate Howard's time when he stops by at Howard beck Is where you find him on your preferred social media platform. His preferred social media platform is not the one owned by the ex best friend of the President of the United States. I'll just leave that there. Stops bot today. Curtis about friends at IFA country Stores. When the seasons change. If you're like any good coach, you'll put together your game plan for a healthy, green lawn and you'll turn to the experts at IFA. Check out their four plus lawn care program everything you need to make your art hit. It's the ultimate lawn owner power move at IFA and IFA dot co Op. This is our guy? Is this the guy I introduced you to while back?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, this is our guy. Right, A little culter for you?
Speaker 1: Is it Culture Wall?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That's great.
Speaker 1: I was recently. I think you referenced that you liked his music a few years back. Don't you go to his shows every time he comes to the.
Speaker 2: Market, so I know his manager, that's why. So there's a help book some of his stuff actually booked his first show in Salt Lake, which was for like a few hundred people at the Urban Lounge. He's now playing like stadiums, huge, huge festivals. So his first show was like I think we had two hundred and seventy people there at the Urban Lene.
Speaker 1: He's playing stadiums now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's been like a full stadium, but big, big, big venues, like I think the last one here was even just Redbute as a much bigger venue. But he is, uh, he's doing much bigger shows. I don't know if he would do a stadium, like if you if you asked him, it might not be his his scene.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that the paycheck was right. You do a stadium, wouldn't he?
Speaker 2: That's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I don't know. Maybe, like a month month and a half ago, buddy of mine whose musical taste I respect, was like, hey, have you heard of this culture wild guy? I'm like, yeah, my producer likes him. He's like, he's great. So I've been listening a little bit. Uh, you know, it's uh, how what is it? How'd you characterize it?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 2: This and culture perfectly encapsulates why our view of country music is so different. I would say his is almost more like country western, where country music that folks who listened to Dave Matthews respectfully think of is like Alan Jackson, it's like nineties. It's like, uh, it's Tim McGraw. It's guys that, respect fully I don't even listen to and consider like a completely different form of country music. They're fine, they have their their their lane. But yeah, that that kind of uh says, the kind of shows the delineation there.
Speaker 1: So Culter's like, uh, he's like Luke Bryan, right, He's like Luke's very much more so on the you know, beer and jeans and all those guys have whiskey issues. I'll tell you what, Like Morgan Wallen, you know Morgan Wallen.
Speaker 2: Is I know who he is?
Speaker 1: Is he He's what is he?
Speaker 2: He's more new pop country pop country?
Speaker 6: Is that the term?
Speaker 1: So like Morgan Wallan's kind of like Zach Brian or I'm just glad that the Ulter.
Speaker 2: Wall plays music they would hear seventy years ago.
Speaker 1: But I'm also glad that Coulter's name is Coulter and not Luke or Zach or Brian because that's like all the hybrids. But Morgan Wallen was on snl uh so I heard a song. All it seems like all these guys have this, like Zach Brian uh, Morgan wall And they all have the same song where it's like they meet a girl, they like the girl, they drink whiskey, they lose the girl, so they're singing about how they shouldn't drink whiskey and get the girl back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's kind of like it just an overplayed out version. It's like an overplayed out It sounds like it was maybe written by Chad GBT version of a song you've heard how many times?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's kind of why I don't really go down that line. Do you like Do you like cold as much as you like land Law? Is that the same type of feel? How are our guys doing, dude? I haven't checked in our guys landlaw for a while. Good dude, I'm telling you this is I often mock social media because I really think it's a cesspool and arguing on the internet with strangers. It's a sign of mental illness in my opinion, and it really does turn into you know, mentally ild people throwing their feces at each other. But if you get in a rabbit hole, I can fall down as much as anybody else. And when I first heard our guys land law A, I thought it was fake b respectfully, I thought there was something wrong with them, right, But see I couldn't stop watching videos, like they would send out videos of their live performance just stoked that they got like booked into some bar and the lead singer would turn the fun around. There's like seven people in the venue that probably didn't know that this fake country band was there to play music.
Speaker 2: It's one of my favorite slash least favorite things about the Internet and about social media is that it can turn and listen. I'm not speaking down on them. Folks who don't necessarily have the talent to or historically would have had the talent to make it big. Well, they can still be famous, but it might be because people are making fun or because there's you know, there's some ironic tie into it. And yeah, the folks you were talking about are are two brothers I believe somewhere in the South who are just the corniest, silliest.
Speaker 1: Dudes, and that they're so bad, but.
Speaker 2: Oh they're awful. But there's like something endearing about it, so that they're getting like this weird weird uh I guess response of like supportive critique slash ironic support. It's it's been fun to watch see but.
Speaker 1: You can't support that. Here's the problem. Like, but before social media, you didn't hear a band or see it banned until they had honed their craft and they're actually worth watching or listening to. But now you can make money off of the clicks you get just for being bad, which is so wild. And you know I'm guilty because I'm telling you. One night I watched every video those guys have posted, and every single one is so bad.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of them, dude, there are there are. If you like accidentally get your Instagram algorithm down that rabbit hole, you'll see a lot of bad music.
Speaker 1: You sent me one of a young lady and bless her heart, keep making music like that? Was that that actually put me in a bad mood her her videos because she's walking towards the camera, you know, and I don't know, do you remember her name? She would give her a little love since we're mocking her in let's get a little Landla on the show before we say good night that one song they have, I think it's only one song, all right. University of Utah has a new basketball commit. He is a point guard. His name is Ela Marie Abby. He is a finish point guard. So Elamrie Abby becomes the ninth edition to the new running Utes roster. So, of course Alex Jensen the new staff. A lot of attention is down south right now, with Kevin Young receiving a contract extension and aj Debons on his way as the number one recruit in the country. They've got a team. If I had guess pre season by U was gonna be scratching in the top five. Like that's how talented that roster is. And when it comes to the University of Utah with his new project Project under Al, it's gonna take time. It's gonna take time, it's gonna take patience. I'm sure you basketball fans are sick of that. I'm certainly not gonna sit here and be the radio host that tells you I watch finish basketball when I'm done with the show, I don't know. I don't know anything about this kid, but we'll just kind of go over some of the pieces of information. So he comes to the University of Utah from Finland's top basketball league, and they have some good basketball in Finland, obviously, Larry Marketing six foot, one hundred and eighty pounds, twenty seven games average, twenty point six boards, five assists, and twenty seven minutes of action. Those are really good numbers. Uh, forty eight point five percent from the floor, twenty seven percent from three, not good fifty seven percent from two. So if you look at some of these highlights, he's pretty crafty around the rim.
Speaker 2: Not a big dude.
Speaker 1: But again, the ninth commit so Baba kar Faye, ton McHenry, s Do Treiori, Jakari Howard, Elijah Moore, James Konkoo, Kendall Sanders, Terrence Brown. So Utah's roster now is at twelve players with three roster spots open, and we'll see. I mean, ultimately the staff is in place and the foundation is in place. This is going to be a long game. And I believe Alex received a five year contract to be the head coach of the University of Utah, so I would give him all five of those years. This is going to take some time, and of course, when you juxtaposted to what BYU's been able to do and only one year under Kevin Young. If that's how you view, if that's your prism, you know, whatever Utah does, what's by you doing, It's going to take a long long time before al has a situation where Kevin Young was able to, you know, cultivate things pretty quickly in one year. So there you go a little bit of University of Utah basketball news. As a finished point guard named Ella Murrie Abbey is committed to play for Alex Jensen the University of Utah. All right, The updates their top one hundred players in pro basketball rather often. They updated it today and clearly they updated it to put Tyree Saliburton in their top ten. So, according to the Ringer, as of today, their top ten basketball players in pro basketball number one, Nikola Jokich, number two, Shay Gilgess, Alexander number three, Giannis number four, Luca number five, Steph number six, ant Tyree Saliburton at seven, now Donovan Mitchell at eight, Top ten player Jazz traded when he was twenty five, Jalen Brunton at nine, Jason Tatum is a ten, Victor Wambayamo eleven. Lebron's at twelve, ad at thirteen kevindurand fourteen that it goes Kawhi caid Evan Mobley, Karl Anthony Towns, Devin Booker, Jalen Williams. There's your Top twenty. The Utah Jazz are the only team in pro basketball, according to the Ringer, with a single player in the top one hundred. They're the only team in the NBA that does not have a player in the top fifty. Lowry Marketing is the only Jazz player in the Ringers Top one hundred. He comes in at fifty three. That feels low in my opinion. But yeah, they ultimately update this rather consistently, and I was surprised to see. I thought Lowry would be somewhere in the early thirties. Maybe Walker sneaks in the top one hundred, but this is coming off a season where neither of those two played every game they should have, and their minutes were limited, and Walker was encouraged to shoot a bunch of threes down the stretch when the Jazz got fined for sitting their players, so they had to find another way to be unserious about competing. But that dropped not too long ago. The Ringers Top one hundred players in the NBA. All right, time now for our U went to Golf PGA Tour update as far as the leaderboard goes, and the world of the PGA Tour has their eyes on the RBC Canadian Open, TPC Toronto at Ospbrey Valley is their north course. Cameron, who want a corn ferry events here in our market? Is your leader through two rounds at twelve hundred par, Andrew Putnam at ten under par. Then a couple of Canucks, a couple of Canadians Richard Lee and Nick Taylor at nine under. Let's see Shane Lowry might be the biggest name. He's at eight hunderd par. Bill sam Burns is up there as well. So it is the RBC Canadian Open, and that is your You went to Golf PGA Tour Leaderboard update. Check him out at Worldwide Golf Shops dot com. Five U Tadler. You went to locations. They've got the best deals on callaway titleist Taylor Taylor made and Ping Bushnell as well for the range fighter stuff. All right, let's welcome in Colton now head brewer at Roosters on a Friday, Colton, Happy Friday Man, how are you.
Speaker 2: Hello, Colton?
Speaker 10: Hello, can you hear me?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I got you. How you doing, man?
Speaker 10: I'm doing really good?
Speaker 5: How much?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: I appreciate the time. So Roosters Brewing Company, you guys are celebrating thirty years this summer. What do you want our listeners to know?
Speaker 10: Well, let's see, so we're doing our well three your anniversary party the end of the month around oh what is it, June twenty second on a or sorry, June twenty first, on that Saturday, I'm gonna be doing noon to four with at our twenty fifth Street location out in Ogden. And we've got some old goodies coming back, like our We've got our two bit of Amber beer out in cams. You can find them around, have them on draft all the locations. And yeah, we're going to be having an old food favorites up on special all summer and all that. So I'll get this some stop in check stuff out.
Speaker 1: Tell me about your High Desert, hazy ipa.
Speaker 10: So, our High Desert is probably one of our best sellers in all of the all austy. It's it's good. It's a nice and tropical, light refreshing, good for a nice hot Summer.
Speaker 1: Day two locations as well as the twenty one plus tap room in Ogden. Tell me about that tap room. I've never been up there. What's alike?
Speaker 10: So that's actually our production facility that's got our tap room attached to it.
Speaker 7: So twenty one year older.
Speaker 1: So it is a bar.
Speaker 10: Leave the kiddos at home and it's it's just a it's a really cool spot. We've got a really nice statio right there, well pretty close to the Ogden or the Weaver River. It's it's just nice. It's a it's a great place to have a beer in the afternoon on the thatio.
Speaker 1: All right, since you are the head brewer, I've got to ask you, what is the one beer you've created you're most proud of?
Speaker 10: Golden Ooh, that's that's that's a difficult one. I'd say my most one of my most recent ones that I've came up with. It's a chili line goza that came out just absolutely phenomenal, trying to go after the taheen flavor and accomplished it. So very unique, different style type of beer, but it was it was really fun to make.
Speaker 1: All right, man, Well, congrats on the thirty years appreciate the time, have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay is well?
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Rooster's Brewing Company celebrating thirty years this summer, throwing it back to nineteen ninety five and historic twenty fifth Street where it all began. Two locations as well as a twenty one plus tap room in Ogden for either summer seasonals including the High Desert Hazy Ipa or one of the originals Two Bit Amber, or on a special anniversary run this summer. They've got fresh food pairings and throwbacks to the original menu, and they're being featured all summer long. Cheers to thirty years our good friends at Rooster's Brewing.
Speaker 3: I'm on loan from The Athletic and host of the Cinephobe podcast ESPN seven hundred. Welcome Zach Harper with the NBA Daily Assist.
Speaker 1: What if I just leaned into it? What if I started like digging pit Bull? Would you still play pit Bull? If I actually because you only do this to ruin my friday? If I leaned into it and pretended I enjoy it, could we stop it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, if you lean in, we're gonna We're gonna lean in as well.
Speaker 1: We're married to it. Well, you know what that means. Ultimately, when pit Bull is played on this radio show, it means it's time for the regular appearance of one Zach Harper on a Friday afternoon. Mister Harper, Happy Friday. Where do we find you.
Speaker 7: In Los Angeles?
Speaker 2: How'd you get out of going Oklahoma City?
Speaker 7: I'm doing the live streams for the NBA for the pregame show on their app, so you know it's better if I'm in a stable internet connection.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations to you, sir, Thank you. Is this the first time? Is this the first year you've done that? And I noticed I saw some of your social posts? Is this the first year you've done that?
Speaker 7: No, I did it. I did it last year.
Speaker 2: It's just it was such a quick finals.
Speaker 7: We didn't hard to notice.
Speaker 1: Tell everybody where they can go find it, Zach.
Speaker 7: You just go straight to the NBA app or a belief on any of their socials, Instagram, ticktok, any of that stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, Well let's start with the finals and we'll move in some other directions, including a hire that was made out this way. But I'll tell you what man like, I feel like you. I mean, I'm not sure who you picked. My guess is, like everybody else, you probably picked OKC. I picked OKC in five. They'd have to win four straight now, and maybe that's still on the table. And I don't know what else to say about this Pacers team. And I just hate the Pacers, but I'm just so impressed that they just don't quit until the Zeros are on that clock you take away from Game one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I had the Pacers to win last night, but I had Thunder and six. I mean, this team's just good. You know, they're really good, and they don't give up like you said, and you know it's funny, like, yo, this is what their fifth comeback in this postseason down fifteen or more. It's just absurd. And and there's a point where I have to think that even a team like the Thunder, you know, there's a point where you're up double digits and it's getting late into the fourth quarter, and then once they get into that single digit territory, You've got to know what's possible here, right, not just because it's an NBA game, because it's this Pacers team. And it wasn't just Tyre's Haliverton going nuts, it was obi top and hit some threes, and Miles Turner hit some threes, and Nemhart hit a shot and Pascal Siaskon got to rebound it. It's just it's everybody, you know, no one had a good game. Everyone just had solid games last night. And for you to force them into twenty five turnovers and only get eleven points off those turnovers is ridiculous. I mean, that is just incredible, you know, incredible basketball by the Pacers. It's rare. It's almost incomprehensible to say a team played great basketball after turning the ball over twenty five times. But they reacted well to those moments. Because we've seen so many teams, i mean throughout this playoffs, the Memphis Grizzlies, the Denver Nuggets, the Minnesota Timberwolves, they get those turnovers and they just let it defeat them. And the Pacers they're just not built that way.
Speaker 1: Was there any point last night that you thought Oklahoma City had a wrapped up I've been talking to our guest today, so watching the game last night with a few buddies, and when Sga hit that layup that I think put them up seven with like ninety seconds left or whatever, one of my buddies is like, yeah, okay, that should probably do it. I'm like, okay, you haven't watched all.
Speaker 7: And I get it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you and I are basketball sickos. But it's you know, the Knick series was interesting because there's an emotional thing and I just know as a Nick fan, if it can go round, it probably will. But at no point did I think Oklahoma City had that wrapped up, even when they're up fifteen and the fourth, when they're up seven with ninety, At any point did you think, okay, o case, he's got this.
Speaker 7: I when when Sga went up for that jumper on that final possession that would have put it up three. As he goes up for that jumper, I thought he was going to hit it, and if he hits that, I thought, okay, they're probably good, even though it only pushes it to three. And obviously you can easily tie the game on the next possession, but we know that the thunder are then going to foul and we're going to get into that whole nonsense of intentional fouls there, right, So as he goes up for I'm thinking, all right, he's he's got this. They've got this. Once that goes in once that missed and they got the ball to Halliburn and I saw they weren't calling time out. That's when I thought, oh no, this is going to happen again. And then they didn't throw a double at Hallie, they didn't rush him at all. They let him just walk into a pull up jumper. And as soon as he let that thing go, you just knew. You just knew, because he's done it for you know, four times now in this postseason. I mean, that guy is just as clutch as it gets. He is.
Speaker 1: And you know, while I do not do first take radio, I do want to ask your opinion, just don't kind of where he exists, like the whole moniker of like is he a superstar?
Speaker 7: Is he not?
Speaker 1: I suppose that's either the beholder stuff and other people can debate it back and forth. And I certainly wouldn't put him up there with Jokic or Luca or whoever. But you know, as he continues to silence people, and look, if we're honest, for about thirty minutes, our guy was a wallflower last night and I'm watching the game, I'm like, where is he?
Speaker 2: Where are you?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 1: Put your stamp on this game, but ultimately winning games the way he has And he is a lead guard, so if he's not scoring, he is doing other things. And he rebounded well last night and he only had returnovers in thirty nine minutes. Is the main ball handler against one of the best defenses we've seen in a generation. And I don't I'm not saying like is he top five, six or seven, whatever, but like generally speaking, where is his cul de sac in pro basketball right now? Where does he live?
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's a superstar. I mean, this dude's been doing it for two years now. And Okay, he's not Steph and he's not SGA and okay, but we've seen him prove himself time and time again. He's a big shot maker like I and he's a guy that's leading a really good team.
Speaker 2: Just led them to the finals.
Speaker 7: And look, we can't do the thing this year of what we did last year with them. Last year's like, oh, yeah, they got to the conference finals because of injuries? Yeah, probably right, Like, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. You know, New York got really injured in that series, and I think if New York stays relatively healthy, they end up winning that game seven this year. You can't say that, I'm not having that with the Bucks. They were beating the Bucks in that series, no matter what. I'm not having that with the Calves. They're beating the Calves no matter what. Like that Caves team is weak. And then and then you know, that Knick series was really good. I think it could have gone either way in a lot of those games, and they ended up pulling it out because he was great. And this is a guy that is an elite leader on the court. He's an elite clutch player. He's one of the best point guards in the world, and you trust him with the ball, and I'm with you, Like there's points where you're like, man, is he going to put his stamp on this game? You know, as that game's going on, And I'm not putting him in this category, but he's you know, we see that with Steph Curry at times too, right, Like Steph will kind of just kind of buy his time by this time. By this time, I think Tyree's kind of lets the game come to him until a certain point. And a big part of that is while Steph is creating gravity, you know through his movement and everything, Tyreese is just he's slinging that thing around the court, and he played good defense and as you mentioned, he rebounded really well. You know, he's someone that is still contributing to winning basketball, and I think he is a big part of the reason why they don't give up. Even if he's not one hitting the shots, he's leading that whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the stat you referenced is the stat that stands out led the show with it, like Oklahoma City is a lead at forcing turnovers and scoring off of turnovers. But if you're turning twenty four turnovers into eleven points, like there's a world Zach. At halftime, Indiana should have been out twenty five, you know. And we heard Rick Carlisle in the locker room like, it's not good news. We're turning over like this, but it's a miracle. We're still We're still in the game. And for about man, I don't know, maybe forty minutes of the forty eight, Oklahoma City seemed to be in this like we're up between seven and thirteen and we can't extend it beyond that. But every time they kind of creep closer, you know, we're able to find an answer but because of their inability to turn those turnovers into points. I'm watching the score and I'm thinking, like, this is so far from over. So if you're Indiana, you could feel really good about the fact that you're up one zero and you turned it over that much. But do you believe that Oklahoma City will continue to have a problem converting turnovers into points because they've been so elde at it all year long?
Speaker 7: No, but you also can't think that you're going to turn over twenty five times, sure, right, Like this is the tenth game counting the playoffs this year where they've turned it over twenty or more times. And this, I mean, this is one of the best teams in the league at not turning the ball over. And even Hallibert, you know, you mentioned the three turnovers. That's a lot for him. He doesn't turn the ball over three times in a game. And all those came in the first half. So he corrected that at halftime, like he didn't have one in the second half, I believe, And so you know, like Obi Toping looked like he was he was so scared in the first half, and then he settles down hits a bunch of three from the second half, like you know, Nee Smith looks scared in the first half, Miles Turner looks scared in the first like they look like, oh you know, it hit them, like, oh man, we're in the finals. And then they settled down. I think that's coaching. I think that's leadership, and I think that's the team that is confident that, hey, we can keep coming back.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: I don't think it's good to get down double digits every time. I know they're five and three this year or this postseason, when they get down fifteen points or more in a game, which is a ridiculous stat and so you don't want to keep doing that, especially not against a team like the Thunder, but the fact that they are so comfortable down and I gotta think like even a team like the Thunder, they could be up double digits in the fourth quarter in Game two at home, and if that thing gets to single digits, I don't care how good and confident that team is. That thing starts getting the single digits and they miss a shot here and there, you know that they're thinking, oh no, here it goes again. Because we just saw that with Cleveland, we saw it with New York. We're you know we saw it with Okay, see last night, you have to start thinking that.
Speaker 1: So the final possession, I thought this was interesting, And honestly, I mean Rick Carlisle's put on a masterclass all all postseason. So they get the rebound you reference. So when Shae went up for that shot, first of all, that's the shot he wants, right, he gets the shot he wants, gets a little space, and like you, he elevates him like that's cash miss, is it? They get the board ten seconds left, so they get it to Halliburton, and look, Cason Wallace is a dog and he's a good on ball defender, but you want dort On Halliburton in that moment, you just do. And so I wonder because my thought in the moment was Rick saw that Cason picks up Halliburton and likes that matchup because Cason sixty three and Halliburton sixty five. And it's not dort it's not Jalen, it is Case and so let's let him do his thing. Is that how you read that final possession as well?
Speaker 7: I think it was simply we can't let this team get his defense. Yeah, you know, I think it could have been anybody on Halliburton, but you're getting single coverage there. They had a time out to burn if things got in trouble, And I think I think Rick Carlisle is just one of those guys he trusted, He especially trusts Halliburton to to do what he needs to do and get a good shot. And look, you're right, like Kase Wallas is. I mean, I think if he got more menaces here, he's probab or all defense, right, he's probably all defense second team, like he is that good defensively. The problem is Halliburton going to his right, like that's where his sweet spot is, right, He's not one of those guys that takes that jumper going to his left. I think Kaylan Cooper does an amazing job covering the Pacers. I think she wrote it something like like a five to one ratio in terms of him going to his right and taking jump shots, some ridiculous stat like that. And so that's where he wants to go. He didn't really have to do a step back or anything like he just kind of he just kind of dribbles into that thing. The question I have for Mark Dagno, like where is the double? Where is the swarm? Like you can't help from the from the corner there as he's going towards the right, I would send anybody else at him. You can't, like anyone else on that team, you get to have the game winning shot. I am not giving that to Halliburton. Anyone Nee Smith, Turner, Siakam, anyone else gets to have that shot. Halliburton doesn't get to get a shot off there. And I think I think we saw both with the change in the starting lineup for literally no reason. I mean, I thought that was a huge mistake to start off by Mark Daignold, and then some of that coaching down the stretch, especially that final defensive possession. I think you just saw a little bit of that inexperience there.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought up the lineup change. That's where I want to go next. So it was not a good check game, and Dagnold decided to stagger Chet and Hartenstein. Hartenstein excuse me, And I thought Hartenstein Hartenstein was actually better in his seventeen minutes than Chet was in his twenty four. I don't know if it's Chet's inability to handle physicality, that's always been his thing. I don't know if it's too big for the moment, at least for Game one case and starts Isaiah comes off the bench. Do you think we'll see that in Game two? Or does he go back to the two bigs together.
Speaker 7: I don't know why you went away from him the first place. I mean, Hartenstein can't handle Myles Turner. No offense to Miles Turner, But like, what's the issue there?
Speaker 5: I don't get it.
Speaker 7: And you've got out rebound by seventeen I think that's what it was. Seventeen hartstn wrap nine rebounds in seventeen minutes, like they completely abandon what was good for them. I get it. You're like, oh, that team's fast. We you know, we want to make sure we have some speed and some more defense on the floor. You're the best defense in the league when Hartstein's out there too. I just I don't get it, Like you shouldn't. You're the favorite, You're the most dominant team regular season NBA history, sixty eight wins. No one can touch you in any of these things. You've got, you know, four different thirty point wins in these in this postseason. Why are you adjusting to the Indiana Pacers before the series even starts? I just I didn't understand that at all. I think you go out there and by putting Chet at the four and using your regular starting lineup, Yeah, Chet's probably gonna struggle a little bit, Garden Siakam, but you've got help, and you've got big help, and they've got a great, you know, big to big thing going on offense too, where you know that's that's gonna be really tough for Indiana to guard. I just I thought that was a massive mistake on so many levels on both ends of the floor. And then even in their in their rotations, I couldn't believe how how staggered those rotations were with those two because I think, you know, against Indiana, you kind of got to be bullies there. I mean we saw with New York when it was when it was cad Mitchell Rompson, like, yes, they lost that series, but when those two were on the floor together, it kind of works at times. And with Chet and Hartnsteint, I think you have to believe that that's going to work against Indiana.
Speaker 1: So we've already talked about why if you're Indiana, you of course feel good, A you have the lead. B. You don't believe you're gonna turn it over twenty four times in a game, or certainly nineteen times and a half or whatever. But Indiana shot eighteen of thirty nine from three forty six percent. Okay, see eleven of thirty from three. That's not who they are anyway. Of the sixteen teams in the playoffs, Indiana or excuse me, okay, see is thirteenth and three point percentage. But if so, we've talked about why Indiana feels good today, because of course they should tell me, if anything, why you think Oklahoma City should still feel good about their chance to answer to win the series based off of what happened last night.
Speaker 7: I mean you you they took Mike Worganoff had had a stat something like they took fifteen more shots within four feet of the rim, you know, like it like, so, you've got a lot of shots inside. You shot more free throws, you committed fewer fouls. You know, you did force a ton of turnovers, and a lot of those were live ball turnovers. I think you have to think that you're gonna even if you force ten fewer turnovers next game. I think you have to believe you're going to create more points off those turnovers, because I think the stat I saw going into last night's game is they were scoring like one point three six points per possession on steals during the postseason, which is a ridiculous number. I mean, it's like it's like scoring one hundred and thirty six points per one hundred possessions, which would which would be an insane level of offensive efficiency. So like you have to think that as as you're creating live ball turnovers, you are going to convert those. Shay had a good game, Chet was miserable. Jaalen Williams shot the ball really poorly. No one else really stepped up outside of lou Dort, you know, hitting those threes. So I think you have to think, I believe, like you didn't play that good of a game and you still should have won, and you missed on essentially a last second shot. You missed that opportunity. So they can play a lot better, and they and they typically do play a lot better, and we've seen how they bounce back. I mean they lost Game one to Denver at home and then came back and won by like forty three points, so we know that they'll respond. You just have to I just do not think that they can keep up with this altered lineup. I think they have to go back to what works for them.
Speaker 1: As your opinion, I know you said you chose Indiana to win Game one in Oklahoma City to win the series. I don't think it's gonna be five games, but I still kind of lean towards OKC. As your opinion on how this thing's gonna play out changed after Game one.
Speaker 7: I'm still sticking with thunder in six, but I feel, you know, less confident in it for sure. Like I mean Indiana, it's not so much of what Indiana showed because I think they did what they do right. They shot well, and they've shot well all postseason. You know, they're almost like fifty forty eighty as a team for the for the postseason during this run, so you know, they did what they're supposed to on offense outside of the turnovers, which they rarely rarely do. I'm I'm more uneasy with the changes that Okay See made and not to keep like you know, hammering that point home. But I need to see how they adjust in Game two and if they go back to their regular style, because I just I really don't like when the team changes up that kind of strategy. It reminds me a little bit. This is gonna be, you know, kind of extreme. But remember when when the Mavericks, you know, back in two thousand and seven, just all of a sudden started changing everything they did against that Warriors team that we believe Warriors team. You know, they got what they got away from their identity pretty quickly in that series. And Don Nelson knew at that point. He's like, oh, we you know, we got this. And so I think that I think that that that's a little bit of a reminder here of if the Thunder keep adjusting to what Indiana is doing rather than adjusting what they do, which I think there's a big difference. I do think the Thunder might be in trouble.
Speaker 1: All right, let's switch Gears game two Sunday night, six o'clock Mountain time. You can hear it right here on a ESPN seven hundred. Since you since you and I last spoke, Tom Thibodeau has lost his job and now the New York Knicks are looking for a new coach. Let me ask you this, you're well plugged in. Why do you think this decision was made? Who do you think was behind it.
Speaker 7: I do think it was enough of the front office, you know. You know, at first I thought it was dul and then as I've talked to some people, I do think some of the front office was leaning this way.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: I kind of heard throughout the year, especially leading up to the playoffs, of hey, if he didn't get to the conference finals, like he's out right, like he's just out if they don't get to a conference finals. And then once the lay of the land changed with like oh Cleveland, Cleveland got knocked out, and then you obviously they beat Boston, I think it became a thing of like, I can't believe we lost to the Pacers, and it's underestimating that Pacers team. And I think that's I think it kind of set back that that kind of feeling of hey, we got to get to the conference finals or or better in order for him to keep his job. I don't really know what this thing is. I don't think that he had. I know, everyone's like, you gotta play your bench. You got to play your bench. What bench? The one with Cameron Paynt and Landry Shammon on it, Like I know Landry Shammon had an okay series against Indiana. He's not good, right like they like you're you were relying on Delon Wright to kind of turn back the clock a little bit, and he did, and he played well, but he doesn't have much of a bench to utilize there. And it's not to make excuses. I still think he needs to coach better, and I think he needs to, you know, rely on the depths, you know, of what he's given a lot more because we're just talking about a couple of minutes here and there. But this seemed to be decided no matter what, short of a finals run.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 7: I think it's fine to do if you have that person that you know you're going to replace them with. It doesn't seem like they have that. And if the answer is Mike Malone, no offense of Mike Malone, I'm not certain he's a better coach than Tom Sibodeau. Like, Okay, he's got a ring, show me where he's gonna run the throat to Yokic offense with the Knicks, Like, I don't know what kind of coach he is without Jokis. And I'm not trying to diminish what he can do. He's obviously a very smart coach, but we don't know what that looks like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And look, ultimately, if the whole thing with Tom is that he's not a great relationship guy, I've got bad news about Michael Malone as well, right, you.
Speaker 7: Know, but he just got fired for the exact same stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And I just have to wonder. And look, I'm gonna sound like the old guy yelling at a but you know a lot of the coaches with kind of an old school approach have lost their jobs, even if they are good at their jobs. And I don't want to say, like, hey, the new cuddled NBA player athlete, but is that is that approach antiquated? Is it no longer possible in a league that is clearly run by the players?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I mean probably. And and you know, I like, you want to win, right? Do you want to win? Or you want to just be coddled and make funey? Like? Does does Indiana seem like they're they're upset when Rick Carlisle is yelling at him. He's not a guy that that coddles. Rick Carlo's hard on his players. He's about accountability. And so I just I don't think there's a problem with it. I just I don't and and if that's if that's the issue within your organization, then I don't think you have the right players.
Speaker 1: And I don't think they have the right players. You're point about the bench is something I've been harping on. We had Howard beck on last last Hour and he said he's been told that the front office was mad that Tom didn't go deep in his bench. I'm like, to who, what are you talking about? Like, yeah, no, I'm with you there. I think their issue was a roster yeah, exactly, Like you know, their issue was a roster construction issue with their top heavy with a good starting five. But if they're gonna do anything else, I think they've got a cat problem. Do you think they get involved in the Durant stuff, the honest stuff? Do you think they try to tinker make it deeper or change things up top as well?
Speaker 7: I mean, they don't have anything to go get Yannest right, They barely have anything to go get Durant Like that would be a pretty big concession by even the Sun's organization. Like I can't imagine that that's that's doing a whole lot for them. So, like you depleted your draft pick stockpile by by going and getting bridges. So I don't I don't know what you can flip. Let's say, let's say Phoenix said, hey, you know what, we'll do CAT for KD. Straight up? What does that do? No offense to KD. He's great, He's better than CAT. I don't understand how that fixes their issues. This is a team that can't can't defend the paint. This is a team that can't defend on the perimeter.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 7: That's not gonna fix it at all. Kad is a great weapon and he can do a whole lot, but that's not going to solve their cat problem at all. That is just going to create different problems as it solves, like a little bit of some offensive stuff. But even then, like okay, Katie's gonna sit and watch while Jaylen Bronson does the clutch stuff, which is fine, Jylen Brunst is really good at it. But I'm failing to see how that is a that is something that solves anything. If they could go get Yannest, sure that's an improvement that starts to fill in some of those gaps, but they can't go get him.
Speaker 1: All right, before I set you loose. There was a piece of news out this way as Austin Inge has been hired as the president of basketball operations for the Utah Jazz. Ryan Smith himself at the press conference said, this is now Austin's show. He is the loudest voice in the front office. Austin's dad, Danny, will report to him, and Justin'sannik will also report to him. Of course, the sound by Zach that has been making the rounds is Austin saying. His philosophy on tanking is that we will not do that here. You will not see it this year. All find him good. But when you have a top eight protected pick that goes to Oklahoma City, if you are below eight, then you've got some interesting roster decisions to make. What do you think? So, if we take Austin at his word, they're no longer tanking or manipulating minutes, I think it's paramount for them to hold on to that draft asset next year in that draft class. But if he is now the guy calling the shots and that is his ethos, what do you think this looks like for the Jazz this year.
Speaker 7: Well, here's the thing about that is I covered some Timberwolves and some Kings teams for a while that also weren't tanking, but they were so bad it didn't matter. So this, I mean, this roster is like all right, play lowry, play the veterans and stuff. That thing's not winning, that theem's not good. They might win thirty games that can still keep them their top their top eight protected pick, but they technically wouldn't be tanking. I mean, this is a team that needs to continue to bottom out to go find one of those guys. I just I don't I don't think, I mean, I don't know, Like the approach just doesn't make sense to me when there are those potential stars, and I think this is just a product of we thought we were going to put ourselves in the position to get one of these guys. We ended up with the fifth pick or what yeah, fifth pick or whatever they end up with, and and now like, oh man, we can't do that again and sell it for with good pr Sometimes you got to just be uncomfortable, right Like, they just need to be uncomfortable for another year and see if it works again, and then if it doesn't, okay, then you adjust and you start making some deals with some of the draft picks and some of the players that you have and you and you lean on development. But you know, the whole press conference thing is meaningless. You can say all that stuff, and you can you can do all this stuff, but the roster's the roster. It doesn't matter if you want to take or not. If this is basically what it's going to be going into next season, you know, save any any kind of you know, massive changes to that roster like yeah, okay, you're not taking You're not good.
Speaker 1: Yep, well said, as long as they hold on to that asset, that's to me, that's number one, prior to all year long. Man, All right, Zach, appreciate the time, buddy. I have a good weekend, enjoyed the finals. Well chat soon you, sir. Zach Harper covers the NBA for the Athletic He's doing a live stream for MBA for pre affing posts during the NBA Finals. Get the link to all of his work on his Twitter page, which is at tak hoops. You gonna bring in an old buddy, Gordon Monson coming up on the other side of a break, but before we catch a break and other old friends. Once upon a time, I was out at his place with Gordon quite a bit. It's Rydan from the Dish Bros. You give him a call at eight oh one four two four Dish. You save a bunch of money on a bunch of different things. What's going on, Ryan?
Speaker 11: I remember those days. It's you two in the office, and yeah, I love listen listening to you guys, and uh, definitely definitely a good chemist for sure. Well, listen, you know this is an awesome opportunity if you're paying, you know, two hundred bucks a month or more for your TV and internet, guys, listen, call up and take advantage of the deals that we have. You've got a promotion second.
Speaker 9: To none where you get a two year pro functional price. The price is guarantee nut to change all throw movie channels. And also we got a promotion will give you three months of your service for free. Now, this is a big, big promotion. And uh, if you've done those other all these big bills and this is a few thousand bucks in your pocket, your bill is overall going to be cheaper. Plus you're gonna have a bigger, faster, GPR and you get free service plus dishes right on the edge of technology. They've got all of the streaming apps available within the system. So you've got one remote switch back from traditional TV straight to streaming, easy and simple, and you get the best price guarantee. We call us plus we'll throw in dinner at jcw's.
Speaker 7: Both have a half a.
Speaker 9: Dozen Internet providers. And I'm not kidding when I say half a dozen.
Speaker 11: We actually have.
Speaker 9: About twelve, but not necessarily in this market. So listen, if you are overpaying your internet, you don't have a good internet solution. It's glitchy's not working.
Speaker 5: Call us up.
Speaker 11: Let's lower the bill, get you a better.
Speaker 9: Service, better TV service, three service for three months. I'll throw on dinner at JCWS. It's kind of call four to two pour dish eight one four four dish.
Speaker 1: I will give you the five o'clock hour the program tonight. We have some hockey on the station. Game two of the Stanley Cup Finals comes your way. As we say, a night at six o'clock. Busy, busy show today, A lot going on. It's been a minute since we caught up with our next guest. But when you hear the Godfather theme music, it means one thing. The Godfather of Utah sports talk radio himself Gordon Monson on a Friday afternoon. Gordo, Happy Friday, buddy.
Speaker 2: How are we doing.
Speaker 6: I'm doing just fine. How are you doing, Spence? Some things are going well for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, things are great. Things are great. I promise I won't do the entire hit about the following topic, but I've got to start out with it. Who chose your hat that you wore at your daughter's wedding on the north shore of a Wahou.
Speaker 6: It was kind of a toss up.
Speaker 7: It was not you. It wasn't you.
Speaker 1: That's all I know. You did not choose that hat.
Speaker 3: Uh bro.
Speaker 6: She was well my wife, and I was enjoined at first.
Speaker 2: There it is there, it is whatever.
Speaker 6: It was sunny and hot, and I had to, you know, cool walls.
Speaker 1: A little, Gordon. I have looked at the picture of your family seventy five thousand times, with your beautiful daughters, your beautiful wife, and then, my man, is that a fedora?
Speaker 2: Is where you?
Speaker 1: Is that a fedora that you were rocking?
Speaker 7: I don't know what you.
Speaker 6: Would consider at all I know is it cost.
Speaker 2: Me more than.
Speaker 1: What I want to know is what the price stag of the whole wedding was but I'm not going to ask you that on the radio. Hey look, you rocked it, buddy. You look good. I mean, I just the thing about the picture is all of your daughters and your wife are so fashion conscious and they're so dressed up and so nice. It looked to me like you walked out with your old suit on, and Lisa was like, we've got to do something. So you're wearing this damn hat.
Speaker 6: Well, I had a suit, I had a perfect suit for the occasion, and I pull it out and my wife and my daughter says, you can't wear that suit. That's what the groma is wearing. So I had the resort to this thing that was like five sizes too big for me. By the way, those pictures. Every time I look at pictures at a wedding and one that includes one of my daughters, I think, okay, it's time to drop a few well bes fun. Anyway, it turned out really well, so I was happy about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, lastly, the hat just rules so hard. I'm looking at it again. It's such a good look.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm proud of you. I'm happy for you, and you've done it right. All the daughters are now betrothed or with their partners. That's a nice accomplishment for mom and dad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's all taken care of from that same point. But this is my fourth wedding at which I was the officiant, and I'm betting five hundred because two of them ended up divorced. If you're patt in five hundred, that ain't bad, I guess you know that would lead the league.
Speaker 1: That's a hall of fame career, Gordo. You know what, since you brought that up, I need to ask your advice. My little cousin Madison has asked me to officiate her wedding in July. I'm not exactly sure what she was thinking, but any advice for your boy as I'm set to do what you've done multiple times next month.
Speaker 6: This is what I would do if I were you, and it's what I've done at most of the weddings that I have, you know, been the officiants. I interview them beforehand. I find out what they love about each other and then express that to those congregated and that usually works out pretty well.
Speaker 7: You know. I like doing it that way.
Speaker 6: Since my daughter got married on the beach this time, I had the groom and the bride both get a container of sand and pour it into the sea glass container where they're mixing their sand into one. And then I had everybody who was there take a small We handed out small shells, and everybody who was there was a small gathering added a little shell to the mix. So I thought that was kind of a nice idea.
Speaker 1: I'm very impressed. There's no way that was your idea though, Uh.
Speaker 2: I knew it.
Speaker 6: I knew I looked up the saying thing. But my wife's idea was for everybody who was there to put a little shill in there, So you know, it was It was very It was very cool. But this is what I found, the sense. You know, every so many people go out there and they spend all this money on on an elaborate affair and all this stuff, keeping it small and quaint. It's kind of nice.
Speaker 1: The pictures looked wonderful, and of course I tease, I love your family. Looks like you guys had a great time, and uh that just uh that hat just killed me. Man.
Speaker 2: I loved it. But let's we can move on, Cordo.
Speaker 1: We can we can move on because since you and I last spoke there have been a lot of news locally that I like to discuss with you. Most recently, Austin Ainge has been added to the Jazz front office as their president of the basketball operations, and Ryan Smith himself said during the press conference that this is now the guy Aostin show. He's called shots, meaning Danny his dad reports to him. Justin Zannik, the GM reports to him as well. So your reaction and what you think this means for the Utah Jazz is they're going to try to continue this rebuild that's into your four without a lot of far retraction.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he says the tanking is over. That doesn't mean the losing's over. I mean I think it's going to go on for a while yet. But us and Names seems like a bright guy. You can look at it in one of two ways. I mean, either there's nepotism going on here or you know this this is a person who can come in here and add energy. He was with the Celtics all those years. We remember him Spencon just being a player down at BYU. You know that's the thing. You see these you see these guys grow up, you know, and they turn into adults. And I think Austin names is a fairly capable guy, so we'll see what he can do.
Speaker 1: So let's dig into what he said about the tanking stuff, and you're the way you articulated, I think is the right way to articulate it, Like, just because the tanking is apparently over, doesn't mean the losing is apparently over. So what do you think it's going to look like, Gordon? Because here's what I perceive to be the number one priority for next season. It's very simple. So if the Jazz did not owe a top eight protected pick to Oklahoma City next year, I feel differently about the approach. But because they do, the worst possible thing that could happen this year is the Jazz winning like thirty five games and we're all sitting here next spring and Mark Tatum pulls out the envelope and says, the number nine pick in the draft belongs to the Utah Jazz, meaning it belongs to the Oklahoma City Thunder. They have to maintain that asset. Gordo, that's my opinion. Give me your thoughts on it, And if so, what do you think this year is going to look like?
Speaker 7: You?
Speaker 6: I'll expenseally bring up a great point there, but I think at some juncture the Jazz has to be able to go out and let those players play as hard as they possibly can and win as many games as they possibly can. Because I don't know, it's interesting A lot of people look at Okac and they say, oh, that's a blueprint for the Jazz to follow. Well, that'd be great. I mean, Austin Inge is smart, dude, I don't think he's quite at Sam Presty's level. I mean what that guy did to build that team, you know, trading two all stars and then freeing up some flexibility. That sounds familiar Jazz fans. I mean it is sort of what the Jazz are looking at now what they did. But what's the difference. Okac got an MVP, he's traded for an MVP, and whether the Jazz can find that kind of leadership, I really don't know. And you have to get lucky, but you has to be. Here's the thing. Austin Ainge has to be smarter than just about everybody else in the league. Is he Is he at that level?
Speaker 2: Spence?
Speaker 6: I don't know whether he is. Is It may sound unfair, but that's sort of what quote unquote small market teams have to do.
Speaker 7: They have to.
Speaker 6: They have to get lucky in the draft, but they have to recognize talent and get it one way or the other. They have to figure out what they have and unload what they can unload without hurting the building process and get guys who others might not think are as good as they might be. And that's what us names has to do, regardless.
Speaker 7: Of where the picks are that they get.
Speaker 6: I mean, it just it has to happen that way. The thing about OKAYC though, is they haven't forfeited many of their draft picks that they could still get better based on after the smart decisions they've made to build that build that roster into what it is. And of course SCA, I mean, those guys don't grow on trees. And where the Jazz are going to get a player like that, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And look a lot of good stuff there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to understand the narrative of the finals in front of us, where there are two teams that parlayed Paul George into two star players. If you think about it, I mean Indiana had Paul George. They traded Paul George Dokase for Victo Ladipo and Domo Sabanas Sabonis. Then they traded Domo Sabonis to Sacramento for Tyree Saliburton, and then Oklahoma City flips Paul George to the Clippers for Shay Gilgesse, Alexander couple of other pieces like Danilo Gallinari and five picks. One is turned into Jalen Williams. But the fact of the matter is, look, I know that when they traded Mitchell. When the Jazz traded Mitchell, there was this celebration of the hall they got in return. I don't think they got enough. I really don't, and I like Lowry. The Ringer just released our top one hundred players in the NBA. The Jazz have one on the list. It's Lowry who's fifty three, and Donovan Mitchell is twenty eight years old in his prime. He's the eighth best player in pro basketball according to The Ringer. So look, there are still draft picks that can be conveyed. They had some other pieces in that deal. Colin Saxton has been fine for the Jazz. Oh Chiobaji was good in Toronto. Didn't work out here, but Sam Presty and the Indiana Front Office turned Paul George into cornerstones, and I don't know that the Jazz did that with Donovan, who is a top ten player in his prime.
Speaker 6: Gordon, Yeah, I agree with you one hundred percent. Bence. I know you study this stuff and you're right on the money in my opinion. I mean, I mean Sam Presty, I have so much respect for that guy. I don't know him. Have you talked with him?
Speaker 1: I've met him a couple of times. He was with the Spurs for a number of years before the Sonic sired, and then obviously okay, see after they left Seattle.
Speaker 6: People talk about luck, you need luck, and yeah, you do a little bit here and there, but Sam Presty's just been smarter than everybody else. And as far as with the Pacers have done, you know, there's been a lot of talk about this small market finals and whatnot, but these two teams have proved to me that you you don't have to be in some huge market in order to make it work.
Speaker 5: The Pacers.
Speaker 6: So we talked about what Okac has done, but what the Pacers have done, not only have they gotten some talent. You talked about Halliburton, Holy casts. He shoots it like you did back in the days, in those clutch moments. I mean, he's just he's just exactly what a team needs. And so that's the second part of the two stage rocket here is you got to get the players and then you've got to implement something that works for them in their best interests. And that's what the Pacers have done. I'm sure you've broken down what they do offensively.
Speaker 8: I love it.
Speaker 6: I love people talk about that. I want to see New York. I want to see the Lakers in the finals.
Speaker 4: That going on.
Speaker 6: No, I love this matchup. I love what we're seeing the way the Pacers. I mean I compare it. I was writing to column and compare it to sort of a jiffy pop kind of offense. It's inceptual in nature, but I get the feeling that the players are free to do what they want to do. You know, they set all those screens, and they move the ball, and they get up the floor and it's just fun to watch. I don't need to have Lebron James in the finals in order to enjoy it. I mean, what these teams do that game the last night was what basketball fan wouldn't love that.
Speaker 1: Jiffy pop as in the popcorn that you put on a dovetop like forty years ago.
Speaker 7: Is that.
Speaker 6: They did not have that anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, but what I mean is.
Speaker 1: Jiffy pop?
Speaker 6: Are you kidding?
Speaker 1: Happier readers have never even heard of that, Gordon.
Speaker 6: Okay, so I probably could have found a different analogy there, But all I know is that offense explodes kind of like popcorn colonels, you know. I mean, it's it's fun to watch, and I'm not even sure the players know exactly what they're gonna do with the ball every time on the floor. They know the basics of what they like to do, and they're familiar with one another, but it's just this kind of I don't know, yeah, explosive offense. It's that that really adds to the you know, the color features of the game.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you landed on Jiffy Pop. But we can move on. The good news, Gordon, if you're a jazz fan, is there's one top three pick on both of these rosters, and it's Chet. He's the only top three pick on both these rosters. So that that's the good news the bad news if you're if you're a jazz fan is Oklahoma City and in a way Indiana. But Indiana has done this a little bit differently because they were able to get Pascal Siakam when Toronto decided to yard sale, and they you know, and they already had Halliburton on the roster. Miles Turner has been there forever. Aaron Ne Smith was a Celtic but couldn't get off the bench. So like they drafted Benedict Matherin Andrew Nemhard but they have not got about this the same way Oklahoma City has. The bad news for the Jazz is at this point the jury is still out on all of their picks, so I can say the good news is they're not. The only top three pick in the finals is chet Holmgren. But whether it's top three, top five, top ten, top fifteen, both rounds, you have to draft the right players. It sounds so reductive and simple, but you have to hit on the picks and you have to start to develop. And they did not draft Walker. He was part of the go Bear deal, but he has developed under under Will Hardy. There's some things to like about Collier, but dude, I don't think Isaiah Collier and Caante George even make Oklahoma Cities roster, and I don't think Larry starts for them. So the bad news is there just is not a lot in the cupboard, which leads us to number five. This feels like as important as a draft for the Utah Jazz in a number of years.
Speaker 6: Would you agree with, Yeah, it's one hundred and there's somebody out there. There's somebody in this draft that isn't going to be picked in the first four selections, that can really help a team in a major, major way. And this is where Austin Inge has to dial in on that guy.
Speaker 7: Who is it? Well, I mean yeah, they say, well, you.
Speaker 6: Get lucky, sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss it. Now the Jazz can't afford to miss. They've missed a couple times already in my opinion, as you articulated, and this time they cannot miss. They have to take advantage of what they have here and then once if they do hit on their draft picks, then they got to do what the Pacers and what okay see you have done in selecting a guy that they can bring in who may be less thought of than what the Jazz recognize that they can be. I mean you mentioned the trades, the Pacers getting Halliburton and okay see a CA. I mean those are just really savvy, smart moves by smart front office people. How smart are the Jazz front office guys? Danny, I don't know, his golf game's probably really good. Austin seems like he's more dialed in and maybe he's on top of these things. But I mean if they miss, if they miss, then they flounder. And think about it in the past, when the Jazz hit on draft picks, then it really helped him. I mean, we don't need to go through the Stockton on loans of situations sixteen to thirteen. I mean, look at it when they got down of Van Menchell and others. It was through smart, smart moves by the Jazz. So recognizing the kind of talent that can be utilized in the system that they want to run.
Speaker 7: Here, go get that guy. If it's not Cooper.
Speaker 6: Flagg, because you're not going to have an opportunity to get in. We'll get somebody who's going to be just as good as him that maybe other people don't don't recognize. It's I'm not saying it's easy, but it's something that has to be done in order for the Jazz to succeed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this stuff isn't easy, and you know when you're able to and you know, one of the reasons why not grabbing one overall Stings this year or are you there? Yeah, sorry about that one of the one of the reasons why not grabbing one overall Sting, Well, there are several reasons. Because Cooper's awesome. But when you have the guy like san Antonio has Women Yama, then Chris Paul will sign with you. And I know Chris Paul is you know, not who he used to be. But Daron Fox will greenlight a trade to san Antonio because you have Women Yama. If the Jazz can find their answer to that and it's not Cooper Flag maybe it's Aja Debonsa, then you've got something. Then agents will take your phone call to say, Okay, yes, I want my client to come play for you because you have this great young piece and all players want to win and get paid. Right now, the Jazzes don't have that. Like no one, no agent is calling it Austin agent saying hey, my client would really love to play off of Johnny Jeuzeg like. They just don't have the piece as of now to attract other players, which is why this has to be a long game. One more Jazz thing that I do have some other things for it, then I'll set you loose. Tom Thibodeau just lost his job after going to the Eastern Conference finals and winning fifty games back to back seasons and making the playoffs four or five years. Michael Malone just lost his job after winning a championship two years ago. Taylor Jenkins, a lot of good coaches have lost their jobs. Will hardly received a five year contract extension. He's won thirty three percent of his games. The Jazz have locked in their front office with Austin Danny and Jay Z and other pieces moving forward. So the problem is, it doesn't matter who you cut your coach is, It doesn't matter who your front office is if you have bad basketball players. But is there a silver lining that Ryan and Ashley Smith appear to be hiring people they believe in and giving them space to do their jobs and giving them the long game to do this From a front office and coach perspective.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's been to you and I have had this conversation so many times. That's the single most important element in any franchise is the owner and what the owner is willing to do. And if Austin Ains can bring to this team what is necessary, which we've thoroughly discussed here, then yeah, they're willing to pay them to be here and pay them to keep them here, and that's what has to happen. I mean, it sounds unfair in some ways, like Okay, Spencer, we say, Okay, you just got to be smarter than the other guys. That's just the way it is. That's what they gotta do. And if Ryan Smith is willing to continue to pour resources into this, then yeah, they can get it done. But like you said, that number five pick is huge for this team this year for the very reasoning you talked about.
Speaker 5: And I remember it used to.
Speaker 6: Be that people said these small market teams, players don't want to go play there. We'll talk to players on the Thunder, talk to the players on the Pacers, two supposedly small market teams, and then talk about how much they like playing what they're where they're playing. I mean, but you said it exactly right. They have they have assets involved in their franchises that draw other players in and as you so articulately said there right now, the Jazz don't have that, all.
Speaker 1: Right, switching gears here before I set you loose, you know. And this is a complicated story to talk about, but you've always excelled in things like this, and I hate to make it a football story, but Jake Rehetz laugh as the starting quarterback at Bringham Young University, and since you and I last spoke, a civil suit has been filed. No criminal charges, as I continue to remind everybody, and these are allegations and Jake deserves the process like everybody else, and so we'll kind of see how it plays out. It adds an extra layer of complication as far as where he plays and the honor code which he is forced to it here too. I don't want to say, but like he has to do it here too if he wants to be a student and an athlete at b YU. They all have to. That's just the deal. If you're playing down there, if you're going to school down there. So your thoughts on where we find ourselves and just some thoughts on how Brian Santiago and BYU kind of have to traverse this newly complicated space.
Speaker 6: Well, it's if you're going to break the law and you're going to hurt people, then you're in big trouble.
Speaker 7: It's just the way it is.
Speaker 6: I mean, anybody theoretically has to follow the law, but at BYU you can't bail out by saying things are consensual or other things that might be utilized in other cases because the our code is there. It's an extra layer, the behavioral code that is going to demand a certain kind of behavior. And so I don't know, I this is what I think is gonna happen in this case. This if this plays out in the courts, it's going.
Speaker 7: To take over a year to give it settled.
Speaker 6: Where does that leave BYU bs in situations where they I don't think they can afford to have their starting quarterback be playing under this kind of dark cloud. So what they have to do in my opinion, I'm not an attorney, but by us access to a whole lot of those they need to go out and find out what really happened and then move on it in that direction. If they can get it solved beforehand that it isn't a thing, then then they can move on but if there's that cloud, if there's any if there's that doubt, then yet you want people to have a due process, and you want to presume them innicine until proven guilty. But by is a different beast. I mean they cannot. They cannot abide that. And I there's a whole lot of colleges out there, university football programs who couldn't abide it, at least among them BYU. So I really I don't want to can him anyone before it is made as certain as possible.
Speaker 7: But doing things away by you does.
Speaker 6: I don't think they can afford the luxury to wait that long, Gordo.
Speaker 1: It's been too long. I appreciate the time. Was that hat more than two hundred dollars? Tell me the truth?
Speaker 7: No, it was not, It was not.
Speaker 6: I I think I've moosted off someone on the street somewhere.
Speaker 7: I just kind of all of that hat.
Speaker 1: There's a Rodney Danger filled bowl of soup joke in here somewhere, Gordo. But hey, you wore it't well. Looked like you guys had a great time. I always enjoy visiting with you. Let's do it again soon, Okay.
Speaker 6: I think the line is oh no no, but it looks good on you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sir, be good Okay. See hip by Gordon Monts in Salt Lake Tribune. I always appreciate his time. Some good stuff there from Gordo. I love Zach Brown Bands.
Speaker 2: Man love that.
Speaker 1: We're ending the show with a little Oh wait is this?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Those are quote this our guy Coulter.
Speaker 2: Right, little Zach Brown band.
Speaker 1: He says, you like Zach Brown band?
Speaker 2: I do actually like Zach Brown. It's it's one of those that kind of bridges the gap. Although he does sing about like I don't know if you've ever heard the song toes, it's just like about the beach and beers and and whatnot. I think he does so with uh, I don't know, I don't know, a little less corniness than other.
Speaker 1: What's the one about chicken fried rise, It's just chicken.
Speaker 2: It's just choked bit of chicken fried cold beer on a Friday night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the same. The jeans that fit just right, Yeah, exactly. And the radio on yep, hmm, wait is uh what's the what's the land law lyric? George Jones on the radio? Uh, my favorite, my favorite part of any Landlaw video I've seen is when he they show him, he talks about he's got a crossbow, he's getting ready to shoot a deer. And our guy does the he does the thing where he's about to shoot a deer, and you can tell that he's never shot a crossbow in his entire life.
Speaker 2: You never never pulled back on the on the bow. Yeah, that's uh, that's a good one. I forgot to play our Land Law though our boys. You know, we'll get over it.
Speaker 1: It's such a horrible, horrible piece of music. But just keep going, guys, keep doing.
Speaker 2: Your thing, keep getting the clicks.
Speaker 1: Why don't we start a band? If they can do it. I've got a better voice than he does.
Speaker 2: Right now, I could make some bad music, you know, if I tried really hard, I think I can make like a very mediocre song. But I don't know if I could do something well now, I could do something corny enough to get some hate views on the internet.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you could. I mean, if they can, anybody can do it, certainly, So shout out land Law on this beautiful Friday afternoon, all right before we say goodnight. I don't usually do this, but it's a big day for your boy here. So my son's in town. Shout out Connor and the only I didn't used to talk about this. If you're aware of my story at all, you might you may or may not be. But today is my twenty two year anniversary of a surgery. I had to remove a cancerous brain tumor when I was just twenty five years old, and I was not supposed to survive that surgery. It was a twelve hour surgery, and before I went in, they had me say goodbye to all my family and my friends, and I didn't fully realize the severity of the situation I was dealing with. But I was lucky to have great care by Bill Caldwell and the Huntsman Cancer Institute, and I came out with more or less a normal quality of life. Certainly, that surgery left some residual effects with balance and some physical stuff that I still battle to this day. But my son is in town, and he is about to turn twenty four years old next month, and my only desire and wish was to watch him grow. He was two years old at the time, and I've been able to do that. I didn't used to talk about this because it's a private thing. But I feel like every time I do, it's important to point out that the reason I was able to survive that is we were able to get the tumor before it became embedded into my brain. And when that happened, you can't operate, And as doctors say, it's a six pack and a fishing pole and it's best of luck. So early detection is key. We are so blessed to live in a city with truly one of the best cancer care facilities in the world. When we were trying to figure out what we were going to do once my situation manifested itself, we called our family care doc in midtown Manhattan and said, okay, what do we need to do? Where do we need to be? And he said, well, one of two facilities. One is Sloan Kettering back East, and the other one is right where you're at in Salt Lake. So if you're at Huntsman Cancer you're in great care. You don't need to go anywhere. And they saved my life. And Bill Caldwell, my surgeon, saved my life. So just once a year, but like to do this on my anniversary, which kind of lands differently as you get older and you realize how blessed you've been to survive such things that you know, go in and get checked if you have any questions about anything that's going on. Doesn't have to be a brain tumor, could be anything, because early detection can save your life. So I won't blaker to point, but I like to talk about this once a year as it's a big day for me and it's nice to have my son in town to celebrate that. All right, before we say goa nights, here's the question. Before we say good night. On Monday, we'll be talking about a series that's won one or two zero Indiana.
Speaker 2: We're gonna see a one one bounce back. We're gonna see a bounce back from okay See. I'm confident that that they, you know, respond to what happened in Game one, which was I don't want to say a fluke because we've seen it what six seven times in the postseason already this year. But I have very little doubt that okay See responds. But when you lose Game one and you do it on your home floor, and you do it like that, well you have a series on your hands.
Speaker 1: No doubt, no doubt. So, as I said, yesterday. I will take Oklahoma City in five. But I certainly am cheering for a long series of great basketball and we definitely had that last night. All right, Porter, what comes our way? On a Monday edition of The Drive.
Speaker 2: On a Monday version of The Drive, Spence, we'll we'll of course recap the NBA weekend NBA Finals Game two. Tom Haberstrow stops by for the NBA Daily Assist. We'll go into Indiana. Brad Knight of the Pacers Post Up Podcast joins us. On a Monday, We'll chat with Richard Smitty Smith in studio and catch up with Ted Robinson, talk a little Roland Garros, maybe off season college football mostly as well.
Speaker 1: On a Monday, love that, love that, catch up with Uncle Ted. It's always a good time. Special thank you today to Chris Russo, Howard Beck, Zach Harper, and Gordon Monson for in the sound you may have missed from the show today. Head on over to the website. It's ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Make sure to download our mobile app and take us on the go. That's how I listen to our station. ESPN seven hundred app is available for free in the app Store. In the Google Play Store as well. And then finally for what we do in our space every afternoon for four hours. Check out our podcast page. It is called The Drive with Spence Jeckets. It's available wherever you get your shows. So go to your preferred podcast catcher, subscribe, rate, review, say nice things in the comments, and give us all the stars. You will be eternally blessed.
Speaker 2: Reporter.
Speaker 1: I'm Spence saying it. I have a great weekend. Everybody, be good to yourself and be good to each other. Talk to you on a Monday edition of the Drive. And as always, you can catch that right here on ESPN seven hundred ninety to one. FFM proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio Network.