Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 5: Well, good morning, it's five o'clock. Straight up.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Tuesday, April eighth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Ready for a big Tuesday. I know everybody calls it Taco Tuesday. Bill Hand always goes, it's Taco Tuesday, and we never get tacos. Kind of unfair. Kono, Are you sad this morning? I'm not sad.
Speaker 6: I mean, I know what you're referring to in the National Championship, but it was a great game last night, So can only be.
Speaker 5: Sad about it? Isn't that what you hope for?
Speaker 1: I mean, of course you want your team to win, But it's samely, same thing with like Super Bowl. If it's a great game, it's not as important to me who wins. It's that it was a great game as opposed to like a lopsided blowout.
Speaker 6: Especially if you don't have someone in the fight like the women's side. It was like a thirty point blowout and it was I mean, it was okay. But yesterday it came down to the last play of the game. I love it, and it was it was fun.
Speaker 5: It was good.
Speaker 6: Congratulations Florida Gators.
Speaker 5: Absolutely okay.
Speaker 1: Here's what's ahead on wake up call, and it's a lot I can tell you.
Speaker 5: So let's get rolling.
Speaker 1: A youth soccer coach has been charged with murdering a thirteen year old boy whose body was found last week in Oxnard. Mario Garcia Akino is scheduled to be arranged today in downtown LA in the killing of Oscar Hernandez. The charge includes a special circumstance allegation that could mean he's eligible for a death sentence. Jury selection has begun in the retrial of an Orange County Superior judge whose first second degree murder trial ended with a mistrial.
Speaker 5: The jury couldn't reach a decision.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey Ferguson is accused of killing his wife at their home in Anaheim Hills. Ferguson says the shooting was an accident. Deportations of illegal immigrant gang members will soon begin again. The Supreme Court ruled five four yesterday that the Department of Justice can remove alleged Venezuelan gang members under the seventeen ninety eight Alien Enemies Act. Before being deported, they must get a court hearing. We're going to be digging a little deeper into that with ABC's Stephen Portnoy.
Speaker 5: That's coming up at the bottom of the hour. Actually it's coming up in about twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: Also on wake Up Call, TikTok gets more time, ABC's Mike Debuski is going to tell us how there could be a switcheroo with switch to thanks to Trump's tariffs, and Joe Larsguard is going to take a look at the practical effects of the stock market's turbulence and whether you should take action or ride out the storm. Let's get with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. La Mayor Bass has fire recovery efforts from the fires in Palisades and Altadena are history.
Speaker 5: La Mayor Bass has marked a milestone.
Speaker 7: Yesterday was the three month anniversary of the two deadly wildfires that broke out January seventh. The fires killed thirty people and destroyed sixteen thousand homes and other structures. The mayor is given credit to the Trump administration for the fastest hazardous materials clearing in the history.
Speaker 5: Of the EPA.
Speaker 7: She says utilities were restored in an unprecedented two months. All recovery efforts are considered the fastest in modern history. Deborah mark KFI News.
Speaker 1: But three months since the start of the wildfire in Altadena that destroyed more than nine thousand homes in businesses, not one permit to rebuild has been approved.
Speaker 3: He Cannon.
Speaker 5: I am not satisfied with the pace today.
Speaker 2: No building permits have been issued, and that is totally unacceptable.
Speaker 1: LA County Supervisor Catherine Barger's has more than fifteen hundred properties are ready for rebuilding just waiting for permits.
Speaker 2: So we need one point of contact that can override and really focus on getting it done in real time.
Speaker 1: The Board's expected to vote today to create a permitting authority to speed up the permitting process. LA County Sheriff's detectives are trying to find a missing woman and a two year old boy last seen in Carson. Jenna and Aiden Mildrew haven't been seen since April first. Investigators say the woman needs medication every day She's black, five feet five, one hundred and seventy eight pounds with short black hair. She was less seen wearing a black sweater and sweatpants. The boy is black, has curly black hair and brown eyes. A judge in Orange County as sided with Huntington Beach in its legal fight with the state over a city ordinance requiring voter id in local elections. City officials argued that as a charter city, it has special authority to approve an ordinance in conflict with state law.
Speaker 5: The state disagrees.
Speaker 1: Attorney General Rob Bonta says that but he believes the Orange County Superior Court got it wrong, and the ordinance is set to go into effect next year. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, some of the Trump administration tariffs have already been implemented more scheduled to kick in tomorrow. So the big question is are they negotiable or permanent?
Speaker 5: Because it's kind of hard to tell from all the back and forth.
Speaker 8: Yeah, both is what the President said yesterday, and it doesn't really clear up the mixed messages, and there have been a lot of them on this issue. The President yesterday was asked by my colleague Mary Bruce if he would be open to a pause on the tariffs to allow for negotiations, and the President said, we're not looking at that. He was also asked about the mixed messages, whether this was a permanent strategy or a short term negotiating tactic, and he said both can be true. There can be permanent tariffs and there can also be negotiations, because he said there are things we need beyond tariffs, didn't explain what that was, did get into detail on that, but you know, I think that's what's causing some of the uncertainty the volatility right now. Is the President looking to change this when it comes to some countries. It certainly doesn't seem like he's backing off the broad sweeping policy entirely. The tariffs or the White House has been pretty clear are staying in place, but with the percentage drop for some countries, some that we are more close allies with, depending on what the trade deficit is, depending on what products and American companies are in those countries. It just depends. And that is something we just don't have details for, and the President didn't really clear that up yesterday okay, and he was.
Speaker 1: Some of his comments were made in the Oval office when he was meeting or after he met with Israel's Benjaminette and Yahu. Israel has said it would drop its tariffs, but the US still imposed like seventeen percent. So yeah, did the President say if any headway was being made on that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he did. He was outside explain, but he would not commit to reducing the tariffs on Israel. He said, maybe not, and he said, don't forget. We help Israel a lot, We give them billions of dollars a year. So didn't indicate that there would be a change in the tariff policy. And I think people were looking at that potentially yesterday as could that be a framework for other countries, And met NYAHUU came and was telling the President and offered, you know, we lowered Israel's tariff freate to zero, we got rid of tariffs on US products. That did not change the President's position on tariff's on Israeli products.
Speaker 1: Interesting, and then I think that I heard Karen, I wonder if you heard this too. He was hinting that the sale of TikTok could help China get you know, lowered the percentage of tariffs with China, because that, like you said, might be something that's aside from just tariffs, there's other It might be another negotiating tool.
Speaker 8: He had said that last week too, and it seemed like that had potentially been getting close. But now with the escalation in tariffs with the US and China, that does not seem to be as close. President yesterday threatened another fifty percent tariff on top of the thirty four that he announced last week, which is on top of the twenty percent of thirty in place in some Chinese products, So that is significantly ramping things up. That would lead to one hundred and four percent tariff, you know, kind of doing the math. The White House confirmed that that's true. That is, if China doesn't back off on their retaliation threat. Doesn't seem like they're going to, they said yesterday. President's policies right now amount to economic bullying.
Speaker 1: Okay, So tariff's stay in and play for now and we'll see what happens, you.
Speaker 5: Know, in twenty minutes. Well, thanks all right, ABC's Karen Travers, thanks so much for the information.
Speaker 8: That's a great thank you too.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Supreme Court says President Trump can use an old law to deport criminal illegal immigrants.
Speaker 9: In a five four ruling Monday, the Court will now allow the Department of just just to remove alleged Venezuelan gang members from the country under the Alien Enemies Act. The ruling ends a lower court freeze on Trump using it.
Speaker 1: Kay if i's Lisa Carton says the ruling means the Trump administration can go ahead and use the law to speed up deportations while things play out in the lower courts. Trump posted on social media that the Supreme Court has upheld the rule of law in the country. He called it a great day for justice in America. As I mentioned, We're going to dig a little deeper into that with ABC Stephen Portnoy because the High Court in allowing that also placed some conditions on the deportations.
Speaker 5: Time to talk.
Speaker 1: President Trump says the US will hold direct talks with Iran about its nuclear program. He also warned that Iranians or warned Iranians yesterday that they would be in great danger if they don't reach an agreement to end Iran's nuclear weapons program. Tehran has confirmed the talks, but said that they will be indirect talks through a mediator. China has threatened to resolutely take count measures if President Trump raises tariffs in additional fifty percent, as we were just talking about with Karen Travers. Trump said yesterday he's thinking about the extra tariffs if China imposes thirty four percent tariffs on the US. The US is imposing thirty four percent tariffs on China in retaliation for its current tariffs against the US, goes back and forth. That's raising concerns about a global trade war. TV sports personality Stephen A. Smith says he is leaving all doors open in regards to a presidential bid. Smith said in a post on X that life was great and he hates the thought of being a politician, but he's sick of this mess. He has been critical of both sides at times, pushing for the Democratic Party to refocus on key issues for voters and going after Republicans for entertaining the idea of a third Trump term. New data from Health and Human Services shows allergies are lingering longer in ABC's Michelle Friends, and says the season is starting earlier due to changes in the weather.
Speaker 5: Research shows tree pallin his pa gain and grass pollen season is not only getting longer, but getting more intense, she says.
Speaker 1: Health and Human Services says rising temperatures are leading to milder winters and more frost free days, which confuses trees and other blooms and brings more pollen. Three teenagers have been accused of attacking and easter bunny at All in Florida. Willis say the bunny was hopping along for a break at Coastland Center Mall on Sunday afternoon when two thirteen year olds and a fourteen year old allegedly attacked the fluffy rabbit. Two of the kids were arrested, the thirteen year olds, the other was sighted. The bunny wasn't seriously hurt.
Speaker 5: The Port of.
Speaker 1: Los Angeles's executive director says President Trump's tariffs could lead to a slow down in world trade. Jeane Soroca says he's worried there could be a pause in business investment, job losses, and higher prices. He says tariffs could also disrupt or delay efforts to rebuild homes following the Palisades and Eaten fires. The Supreme courts allowed the Trump administration to use an eighteenth century wartime law to deport Venezuelan migrants, but says they must get a court hearing before they are taken from the United States. We're going to check in with ABC Stephen Portnoy on that in just one moment. Stock features are up this morning before the opening bell, Two of the three major stock indexes closed down again yesterday as Trump's tariffs continue to rattle Wall Street. At the closing bell, the Dow Jones was down three hundred and forty nine, SMP five hundred was off eleven, and the Nasdaq closed up fifteen.
Speaker 5: At six oh five.
Speaker 1: It's handle on the news course, handled back from his vacation and honeymoon and marriage China, says Trump's threat of new tariffs is a mistake upon a mistake. Okay, let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. Stephen, a couple decisions from the Supreme Court yesterday. Can you tell us about what the Justice has said about the guy from Maryland that we talked about, who the White House admitted it mistakenly swept up in a nice deportation.
Speaker 2: This is going to be a bit complicated, so let's walk through it carefully. Amy, we're talking about different things here and lots of balls in the air. You asked about the case of Kilmar Abrego Garcia. This is a man who had been living in Maryland for many years, wife and kids, married to an American citizen, was swept up, as you describe it, last month in ways we don't fully understand, and having not been fully explained in court, but was sent mistakenly back to his native country of El Salvador, where the immigration court had said he would not be sent because he fled that country. The judge believed this, The immigration judge believed it, fearing violence from a gang eighteen. Well, the government says he's a member of MS thirteen, a different gang with a different number, And the immigration judge said, well, I see this evidence, but we're still not going to deport you to your home country. And they did, all right, So what's to be done about or this man who's now in a prison in l Salvador. He didn't commit a crime there, and there's no evidence or allegation he committed a crime here. So why is he in prison? Well, we don't know, and what's to be done about it. The judge in Maryland said to the government, go fetch him and bring him back, and you have until midnight Monday, midnight Tuesday, whatever.
Speaker 5: Last night.
Speaker 2: Well, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Chief Justice of the United States, John Roberts, issued a stay and said just a minute hold on. It's not a final ruling on that. We await further word from the High Court as to what should happen with kilmar Abrego. Garcia put that aside for a moment because the bigger headline last night was the five to four decision by the Supreme Court with respect to the Alien Enemies Act. And this gets in the question of whether Judge James Boseburg, who issued that order to turn the planes around in the air, whether he has a role to play the five to four split on the Supreme Court, as the majority said saying no, the Chief that the Judge Boseburg has no role here because the case was not brought in the proper venue. The ACLU went into court here in Washington, d C. A few weeks ago to say, hey, we're hearing that the Trump administration is bringing all these men together in a jail in Texas and they're going to be flown out in secret to l Salvador, and the President's going to invoke a wartime authority that hasn't been used since World War Two, and you've got to do something, judge, And they judge said, all right, well, let's let's put a pause on that. Turn the planes around. We have to assess whether the law is being followed and carefully applied here. And the administration said, no, we're going to keep those planes in the air. We're going to land them in El Salvador. And there's nothing you can do about a judge, it's beyond your jurisdiction. Last night, the Supreme Court said that the administration has a point here that the real proper way to do this is to bring a challenge in the district where these men were being held. No one was being held here in Washington, d C. They were being held in Texas. So you have to go to court in Texas. ACLU okay. But the justice is said in their opinion last night, all of them said that going forward, every detainee who would be deported under the Alien Enemies Act must first be given notice and the chance to seek a judge's review. In Texas or wherever else they're being held prior to their deportation, which is not what the administration was doing here, and it's not what happened to those hundreds of people who were sent to l Salvador last month. They were just picked up and sent out of the country because the President signed a proclamation without any judicial review. And the High Court said last night that's not the way this has to work going forward.
Speaker 5: Okay, wow, you're right, that is a lot too unpacked.
Speaker 1: So the court the decision was split, if I'm understanding you correctly, on whether it should be able to move forward, but it still isn't done yet. They just it has to be tried or be heard in Texas now because DC doesn't really have standing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically because the men aren't here. Right, you know what role would a court in Washington play? I mean, what the a CLU was trying to do was say that the administration didn't follow the proper procedures, and under a certain law called the Administrative Procedure Act, there's a way to challenge the action of an administration here in Washington, d C. The High Court said, no, not in this case, because these are individuals who are alleged to be alien enemies. They have rights, but the proper way to exercise those rights is in the places where they are physically present.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then, Stephen, can the deportations begin again while it plays out in court?
Speaker 2: The answer is no. And I say no because what the court said last night, and I'll quote directly, It's said here that as of this order, the detainees must receive notice that they are subject to removal under the Act. The notice must be afforded within a reasonable time and in such a manner as will allow them to actually seek habeas relief and the proper venue before such removal occurs. They are entitled to notice and an opportunity to challenge their removal. The only question is which court will resolve that challenge. So the bottom line is the Supreme Court put curbs in place here, pretty significant curbs. It said, you've got to provide these men with paperwork. They've got to have the opportunity to consult attorneys. They've got to have the opportunity to have those attorneys go into court. And there has to be an opportunity for a judge to review two questions, Whether the President is properly invoking his authority here and whether these individuals are actually alien enemies because up until well now, there's been no way to question the administration's position on that. Okay, And the High Court affirmed that there is a review that has to happen here.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it was sort of a win and Trump and the administration is like, yeah, we won, but that's not really the case.
Speaker 2: If anyone who says that didn't read what.
Speaker 5: I just saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So deportations can't start yet, they're technically allowed, but after due process, is that right?
Speaker 2: Well, what happened last night, Yes, what happened last night was the judge who ruled James Boseburg. He's basically been cut out of this and he put in a place of a number of orders over the last few weeks, it said, and he's been asking questions about whether his orders were followed, and there's actually a hearing in that this afternoon. I wonder where that lies. And it's really kind of sort of an open question that the Justice Department, after the Supreme Court issued its ruling last night, went back to Judge Boseburg and said, you know, it's time to dismiss all your back and forth with us, We're not interested in you know, you have to take the hint from the Supreme Court and back yourself out of this. We'll see how that plays out. But look, the point is, and this has to be understood. The Supreme Court said, there is a role for the courts to play. The administration's position up until now has been there is no role for the judges. Supreme Court said, know, there definitely is, and these individual men have to be provided with notice and an opportunity to challenge their removal.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, well, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: As always, as you guys know, Steven is so great about peeling back the onions because things appear one way on the service, but when you really take a deep look at them, they don't always turn out as they you know, first as you first thought. So appreciate you clarifying that in bringing us that information, and we'll look forward to seeing what happens next.
Speaker 5: You bet, all right, thanks Steven.
Speaker 1: Officials in La County s they a person in a position of trust murdered a teenage boy.
Speaker 10: Murder charges have been announced against the soccer coach of a thirteen year old boy found dead in Ventura County, LA County DA Nathan Hockman says Mario Garcia Aquino may have other victims.
Speaker 2: We are seeking anyone who recognizes this particular individual as.
Speaker 5: Someone that victimized them to come forward to law enforcement.
Speaker 10: Garcia a Queena has been in custody since last week, when he was arrested on an unrelated assault charge. Oscar Omar Hernandez said he was going to visit Garcia Aquino in the Antelope Valley. His body was found last week in Oxnard. Michael Krozer KFI News.
Speaker 1: The alleged gang leader and so called rap godfather Eugene Henley Junior, known as Big U, is doing court in LA. He's named in a forty three count federal indictment accusing him of racketeering, fraud, extortion, and embezzlement.
Speaker 5: Henley has denied the allegations.
Speaker 1: California Democratic Senator Adam Schiff has announced new legislation to offer federal tax credits to people rebuilding from the wildfires.
Speaker 11: The Freshman Democrat says the credit would cover half the cost of upgrades like fire resistant roofs, capped at twenty five thousand dollars for families making under two hundred thousand a year. Shift tells KFI as the Palisades and Altadena rebuild, better materials are necessary to prevent future disasters.
Speaker 3: If we can harden more homes, we can save not only that home, but potentially they're neighborhood.
Speaker 11: Schiff has introduced the bill alongside Republican Montana Senator Tim Sheehy, and the tax credits would be available across the country for a variety of natural disasters. Michael Monks KFI news.
Speaker 1: LA School District may face an audit over arts funding. Democrat Assembly Member Isaac Bryan has called for the audit following a lawsuit alleging the district defrauded taxpayers of millions of dollars. At issue is seventy seven million dollars raised by Proposition twenty eight to hire arts teachers that the lawsuit claims was used on existing staff. Superintendent Alberto Carvallo says it was a misunderstanding of the law and he's working on a quick resolution to the matter. LA Mayor Bass say is clearing hazardous debris from the deadly wildfires in January has been done faster than any other disaster in EPA history. Mass credits the Trump administration for the speed of the debris removal. A group of lawmakers is making a push to let bars stay open later. The lawmakers say a proposed bill would create so called hospitality zones love cities to extend last call to four am on Friday, Saturdays and state holidays. San Francisco Assemblyman Matt Haney says it could boost tourism and help local businesses. La Rams owner Stan Kronki is planning to build a state of the art team headquarters and training facility in Woodland Hills known as Rams Village. Construction on the ten billion dollar project could start as early as twenty twenty seven. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Mike Dubuski. So, Mike, Nintendo switch To. There could be a little switch aaroo in the works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially with relation to their pre order date when you can kind of PLoP down some money for one ahead of the actual shipping date for this hotly anticipated gaming device. The switch to has been a huge sort of draw for a Nintendo or the Switch brand has when the switch one launched back in twenty seventeen. It eventually grew to about one hundred and fifty million units in sales. That's a huge sales success for Nintendo. So the new one was unveiled last week. The switch too. It's got a new bigger screen. It supports four K televisions, which means you can kind of plug it into your higher FIDELEDTV, and then, of course, because it's a switch, you can switch it to a portable gaming device. You can kind of pick up the screen from its docking station, connect some controllers, and then on you go. All of that does come with a bit of a price bump. The old switch was three hundred bucks. The new one is four hundred and fifty. The head of Nintendo North America says that the tariffs that we've been discussing for the last week or so did not play a role in the company's decision to raise prices. However, amy the tariffs do seem to be having an effect. The switch to was unveiled, as I said, Wednesday morning. The tariffs were announced Wednesday after noon. On Friday, Nintendo delayed the date when pre orders were supposed to open. They were supposed to open tomorrow. Now they are putting that on an indefinite hold in order to assess the potential impact of tariffs an evolving market condition, so just another effect of tariff hitting the gaming space.
Speaker 5: And where are they made?
Speaker 3: So predominantly the Switch one was made in China. Nintendo has made efforts in recent years to shift production to places like Vietnam and Cambodia, but all of those places do see some pretty hefty tariffs, not on the level of China necessarily, but you know, in the high forty percent range of the President's tariffs. It appears that Nintendo might be waiting on the outcome of these rumored negotiations that are coming down the pike with various countries before moving forward with pre orders. But in that time, the rest of the world will have, you know, the ability to put down some money to pre order this device, which means that by the time that Americans get the opportunity to do so, they're going to be a little bit further back in the line.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we get to wait, are they going They're going to go and sale in other areas though.
Speaker 3: The shipping date is staying the same. So when they made this announcement last week, they said that the device was going to ship, it was going to show up in stores on June fifth. They say that date is holding. We just don't know when pre orders are going to become available just yet. But again, given the sort of uncertainty in the markets right now, it's unclear whether that's actually going to hold or not, or whether the four hundred and fifty dollars price tag, which again was one hundred and fifty bucks more than the old one, he's going to stay where it is. And we haven't even talked about more expensive games that are coming down the pike or the accessories, which means that if you're a Nintendo fan, this is getting to be a pretty pricey proposition.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll save that for another day. ABC's Mike Dubuski, thank you so much for your time and information this morning.
Speaker 5: Of course, Amy Takareka, it's time.
Speaker 1: To get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. And of course we're talking about things like switch to costing more and everything costing more. But first let's take a look at the stock market and what we're expecting today, because right now things are looking a heck of a lot better than they have for the last few days.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, speaking of costing more, it costs us a lot over the past couple of days, and I want to point out it was such a manic Monday, and now we might be seeing a turnaround Tuesday of the market chaos, unleashed by the trade war continued for a third day Yesterday. It was such a wild drive to really hammer this home because stocks open sharply lower, only to briefly spike as rumors were racing across training floors all throughout the morning that the President was going to delay his tariffs. Now those hopes faded, sinking prices again, but those rumors that the President was pausing tariffs that sparked a two and a half trillion dollar rally in just seven minutes. Seven minutes. It just shows you how everybody's grasping for hopes in some way. At the end of the day, the markets did close down, but not as dramatically as we did last Thursday and Friday. The Dow finished down three hundred and forty nine points, the S and P five hundred, tel two tenths of a percent. But it's looking a lot better today on Wall Street without futures of more than a thousand points right.
Speaker 5: Now, Okay, we'll keep our fingers crossed at that hold.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you were talking about those wild swings when I was because I've been watching the stock well like everybody has, but watching it, and it was down like fourteen or fifteen hundred in early trading yesterday, and then all of a sudden, it spiked and it was up five hundred and fifty, and that's probably the moment that everybody went, oh, there might be a reprieve. But that was a two thousand point swing in like five minutes.
Speaker 4: As one trader we talked to said, it's just madness when you come to look at something like that, because that is completely abnormal in the markets. For those who are not real market observers, a swing like that is just absolutely unbelievable. But it just shows you how much everybody on Wall Street is holding out hope that there's going to be some sort of reprieve when it comes to tariffs, and that we're not going to be having any sort And I believe that's one of the reasons beyond buying the dip today, where all right stocks have come off so traders are jumping back in the market. We haven't had any really crazy headlines coming out of China for example, and that seems to have stabilized the markets just a little bit this morning, that we're not seeing the wild swings that we saw yesterday.
Speaker 5: But you know what, the bell hasn't rung yet.
Speaker 4: You know, any with any headline, we are seeing lots of moves, lots of changes, So you have to you have to brace for this. But one of the things that is so important, especially in times like this, is to not panic and make sure you talk to your financial advisor about this, because if you have a long term investment strategy, for example, you're retiring many many years from now, it might be worth it to stay the course in what you're doing. So it's worth it to talk about your financial strategies with your financial advisor and then make the decisions from there with with somewhat of a clear head as opposed to panicked decision.
Speaker 5: Okay, and before we let you.
Speaker 1: Go, do tariffs have people rushing to the Apple store?
Speaker 4: Yes, and no doubt about it, they're looking to buy iPhones. Customer shoppers are worried that prices obviously are going to climb dramatically after the duties are imposed. I want to point out that most iPhones are manufactured in China that's in line for tariffs of fifty four percent. So the stores, some of the workers there are saying, well, we're not being the kind of lines that come with an iPhone launch. But the atmosphere is kind of like a busy holiday season right now, so lots of people running and getting their iPhones before they think that the tariffs are going to come down on them. Okay, bloomberrim prices go.
Speaker 1: Up, Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, thanks for getting in your business with us this morning.
Speaker 5: Let's do it again tomorrow, shall.
Speaker 4: We no doubt about it? Be water?
Speaker 5: Thanks Courtney.
Speaker 1: Of course we talk to Courtney every morning at five point forty right here on wake up call. A bill may soon let people party longer in La and other cities around California.
Speaker 11: The proposal would create hospitality zones merrily in downtown areas of big cities like La San Francisco. Democratic Assemblyman Matt Haney announced his bill in downtown LA and says the change would boost local economies.
Speaker 10: World class cities have world class nightlife. We in California deserve world class nightlife too, if.
Speaker 11: Approved hospitality zones would be able to enjoy the extended last call on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, and designated state holidays. Right now, last call is two o'clock in the morning. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The National Park Service is restored both a photo of and a quote attributed to Harriet Tubman to a web page dedicated to the Underground Railroad. The photo had been replaced with pictures of postal stamps featuring those connected to the railroad that caused a huge backlash. The website had also been modified to change references to enslaved African Americans to enslaved workers. The Parks Service said any reduction in Tubman's presence on the site had been made without approval from the top leadership. More than fifth teen hundred properties have been cleared and cleaned and are ready for rebuilding, but La County Supervisor Katherine Barger says not one building permit has been approved since the fires. She says that's totally unacceptable. The Board of Supervisors is going to vote today on creating a permitting authority to help speed up the process. A soccer coach has been charged with the murder of a teenager whose body was found in a wooded area in Oxnard, La County, DA. Nathan Hackman also charged Mario Garcia a Kino with leude ax on a sixteen year old boy in an unrelated case from last year. Tens of thousands of music fans getting ready to converge on Indio for the first weekend of the twenty twenty five Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. Up to forty thousand will pack Camp Browns, while others had to sold out hotels and motels. Others will drive in for the day. The concerts start on Friday, with Lady Gaga and a dozen other artists taking the stage. We're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning. Good day to be a Gator, Cougars not so much. Let's say good morning now to the host of How to Money on KFI. It's Joel Larsgard. Okay, Joel, Yeah. Markets for you and me, what is the practical effect of these wild swings and drops that we're seeing heartburn?
Speaker 12: I'm gonna say, is at least one of them right? I think the like the whip sawing nature. If you're the kind of person who pays attention to what's happening with the stock market, most days it probably has you kind of pulling your hair out a little bit, which I totally get, which is why one of the suggestions I make to people who are in the wealth building phase of their life. They are sticking money in like clockwork every two weeks dollar cost averaging or maybe even more than that. But if you are kind of on the front end of your investing timeline, don't pay attention. Like I have not looked at my portfolio balance because I know that if I do, then it's just going to unnerve me in a way that I don't need to be unnerved because I have so much time on my side before I need to access those funds. So yes, it is frustrating as an investor to see, but in particular for people who are, hey, I've got a decade plus before I start tapping my retirement funds, then I think this is more noise that you don't need to incorporate. You don't really need to do anything with it. As an investor, you don't need to make any changes.
Speaker 5: Okay, so stay the course.
Speaker 12: Yes, I mean, it's easier said than done, I think, right, it's because when you see market strop as much as they have the end of last week was insane, and then you see even what happened yesterday, where a tweet can send the stock market soaring by eight percent, and then it's like, wait a second, that was fake news, and then the stock market it considers investors start pulling out again. All of that stuff kind of if you're riding the wave, the day to day wave, the minute to minute wave, you are going to be freaking out and you're going to be making changes. And the truth is, when we're just doing the boring, slow and steady passive investor approach in index fund just what I talk about most of the time, or target date funds, then then all those little machinations, the minute to minute moves shouldn't matter very much to you at all, and in fact, you don't have to pay attention to any of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so just just ignore it. This is we're in this for the long term. Yeah, okay, So I know I'm going to get that an answer to this question. But we were talking with Courtney Donahoe from Bloomberg a minute ago, and one of the topics we didn't get to was that people are rating their four oh one k's for emergency cash.
Speaker 5: I think I know your answer, but is that okay?
Speaker 12: Well, so, now there's recent legislation that allows people to take a thousand dollars out of their four to oh one k, you know, essentially no questions asked. And I you know, a thousand bucks is one thing, I guess, but when we're talking about taking more than that out of our four oh one K, I don't think it's a good idea. And what happens so often in crazy market spells like this. I still remember in two thousand and eight talking to friends that I worked with right who were like, I'm really scared about how much the market stopping. I am going to take some money out put it on the sidelines. Well, that has multiple impacts. One, it's hard to know or you take like if you're taking money out now after a big drop, you're locking in those losses, and then you have a really hard time to know when you should be putting that money back in. On top of the potential tax consequences of pulling money out of a four roh one k early. And so I think your best to leave your retirement accounts alone. And if at the end of this whole saga, when the market has steadied a little bit, You say, I don't. I was emotionally incapable of handling that. Then you need to have a different approach to your investments. Let's say you're eighty percent invested in stocks, Well, you probably need to smooth out the right a little bit and have a more diversified portfolio because you realize, at least for yourself emotionally, it's too difficult to handle that much stock exposure in your life. So that's one thing to consider. But you don't want to make any massive changes kind of when all the turmoil is happening.
Speaker 1: Okay, So yeah, I think that's kind of the message that I'm hearing from a lot of people is, you know, don't have a knee jerk reaction to this, because I know that we all feel like, oh my god, what's happening to all my money? But just it's gonna We're gonna have to write it out. It might be a little tough, but eventually we should be okay, we hope.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And we're starting to see signs at least that hopefully this tariff regime isn't going to stick around long term, that this is a negotiation tactic It's hard to tell though, right, Like it's hard to know what the end game is here and how this all shakes out, and what sort of you know, deals we come to with trading partners around the world. But I think the great thing is American capitalism of any place in the world, Like we are the most resilient country. We have incredible businesses that will find ways to prosper even in a tough environment like this.
Speaker 1: All Right, the host of How to Money on KF Jewel Larsgard, you can listen to him every Sunday from noon to two, and just like this morning, he's going to have more great financial advice for you.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, Joel.
Speaker 12: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All Right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The roof of a club has collapsed in the Dominican Republic, killing at least thirteen people.
Speaker 5: Dozens more are hurt.
Speaker 1: Officials say CRUZ have been searching for potential survivors in the rubble at jet Set in Santo Domingo. It's not clear what caused the collapse. A nine year old girl in Westminster has helped police catch a suspected Burglar. Police says she called nine one one early Friday when the guy smashed a window to get into her family's home.
Speaker 4: Nine one Emergency Police are paramedic.
Speaker 1: The girl was upstairs and was able to tell the dispatcher that she heard shouting and banging on a door. The girl's father, who was in the kitchen, sprayed the guy with pepper spray and dragged him outside. The alleged intruder ran off, but was caught in the neighborhood. A woman and three kids have been rescued from a cliff and sill Mar. They were in a car that fell about one hundred and twenty feet down an embankment yesterday. The kid three, seven and twelve years old. The fire department says they all have minor injuries.
Speaker 5: A man appearing.
Speaker 1: Before a New York court got a scolding from a judge after he tried to use an AI generated avatar. The case is an employment dispute. The court had given Jerome de Wald permission to play a video with his arguments since he didn't have a lawyer, but the presiding judge halted things pretty quickly when she realized the person speaking in the video wasn't a real person, but an artificially artificial intelligence generated avatar.
Speaker 5: Hmm.
Speaker 1: I wonder how long it took her to realize that this is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland.
Speaker 5: Weather from KFI.
Speaker 1: Some low clouds hanging around, mainly near the beaches, otherwise just sunny sky's HIGs in the upper sixties at the beaches, low to mid seventies for Metro La and Inlando c mid seventies to mid eighties in the valleys Inland Empire and Antelote Valley. It's going to warm up tomorrow and Thursday, with highs in the s seventies at the beach's eighties to mid nineties.
Speaker 5: Inland.
Speaker 1: It's fifty five in Los Alamitos, fifty one Santa Clarita, fifty six in Seal Beach, fifty five in Woodland Hills. Live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime.
Speaker 5: It's on the iHeartRadio app. Just search wake up Call.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.