Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive, your shortcut to truly understanding complex topics. Today, we're plunging into Apache Koffka. It's really a foundational technology underpinning so much of the modern data world.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's everywhere, even if you don't see it directly.
Speaker 1: We've pulled together a stack of detailed sources for you, particularly some really great insights from a patchi Kofka in action, and our mission really is to unpack its full potential.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get beyond just the buzzwords exactly.
Speaker 1: We'll explore everything from its basic building blocks to how it ensures rock solid reliability, which is critical goose performance to incredible levels, and fits into the most advanced enterprise systems. Think of it this way. If you've ever wondered how a massive online retailer processes millions of real time orders, updates inventory instantly, or personalizes your shopping experience on the fly, Kuffa.
Speaker 2: Is probably in the mix somewhere. It's off in that silent powerhouse.
Speaker 1: Get ready for some serious aha moments, because this deep dive is your essential guide. We want you to not just know what Kolica is, but deeply understand how it works and why it's so critical for today's real time data needs.
Speaker 2: And hopefully, without feeling overwhelmed by the jargon.
Speaker 1: Let's untack this.
Speaker 2: It's truly a system that transforms how organizations handle data. It enables that shift, you know, from waiting.
Speaker 3: For daily reports still a batch world.
Speaker 2: Right to getting instant insights and acting on them immediately.
Speaker 1: That real time capability is absolutely where the magic happens. Okay, So for anyone looking to understand Kafka, where do we even begin? What are its absolute foundational elements?
Speaker 2: Okay? So at its core, cof Go works with messages sometimes called records. Okay, These are essentially just by rays. Think of them like small data envelopes, and for efficiency, they're often grouped into batches before being sent saves overhead.
Speaker 1: Got it? Batches of messages, and these messages are organized into topics like categories exactly.
Speaker 2: Think of a topic as a dedicated channel or category for bundling messages of a specific business type, much like tables in a database maybe, but really designed for a continuous stream of events. So, for that online retailer we mentioned, you might have a customer orders topic or maybe a product inventory updates topic.
Speaker 1: Right, So if I place an order that becomes a message in the customer orders topic. Simple enough, But how does KOFKA handle the sheer volume millions, maybe billions of messages and ensure it can scale.
Speaker 2: Ah? That's where partitions come in, and they are truly like the backbone of kofka's performance and scalability.
Speaker 1: Partitions Okay, hash.
Speaker 2: Topic is divided into one or more partitions. This division is what enables parallel processing lots of things happening at once.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, divide and conquer and to.
Speaker 2: Ensure high availability and fault tolerance, which is crucial. These partitions are replicated across different COFCA servers. The servers which you call we call them brokers. So if one broker goes down to debta, is safe and accessible in another one? No panic?
Speaker 1: Got it? Mess topics partitions on brokers. Okay, So you have producers sending messages and consumers receiving them. How did they interact with these partitions and brokers?
Speaker 2: Good question. Producers are the application sending the messages your order service. Maybe they send them to the designated leader of a partition.
Speaker 1: Leader one broker is in charge for that partition, right, and.
Speaker 2: The producer selects that partition using something called a partitioner. Often it's based on a message key, which we'll get to.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: On the other side, consumers receive and process messages. They're quite flexible actually, they can read from multiple partitions, even multiple topics at once.
Speaker 1: And the brokers themselves, what's their main job.
Speaker 2: The brokers are the Kafka servers. They manage the storage, distribution, retrieval of messages, all that, and they share replicas and processing tasks pretty evenly among themselves. It's a distributed system.
Speaker 1: This sounds like a lot of moving parts all needing to coordinate. Who is the leader? Is this broker alive? How does Kafka manage that internal choreography?
Speaker 2: Right? That's the role coordination pluster. Historically this was a page zookeeper, a whole separate system you had to manage.
Speaker 1: I remember a zoo keeper could be complex.
Speaker 2: It could. But now Koka is increasingly moving to craft kr aft ok and this isn't just a name change. It's a pretty significant evolution. Craft simplifies the entire Kofka architecture because it removes that external dependency on zookeeper, so Kofka manages itself more exactly, it becomes self managing for these critical coordination tasks. Overseeing partition assignments, handling leader elections, continuously monitoring broker health means fewer moving parts for you to manage, which is a huge operational win, especially for large dynamic clusters.
Speaker 1: Okay, that gives us the basic anatomy messages and topics split into partitions managed by brokers, with producers and consumers all coordinated by craft or zookeeper. But here's where it gets really interesting and a bit well mind bending for me. Initially, the sources describe Kofka's core nature as a distributed log.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is fundamental.
Speaker 1: Can you elaborate on that? Why is thinking of it as a log so important?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? What's truly fascinating here is that Kafka is fundamentally a distributed log. You need to sort of forget about it being just a message queue for a second. Okay, think of it more like an immutable personal diary, or maybe better the commit log of a database. It answers the question what happened? It focuses on the history of events rather than just what is which is the current state?
Speaker 1: Right history versus snapshot?
Speaker 2: Precisely So for our online retailer, it's not just current inventory is fifty shirts. It's more like a shirt was sold at ten point zero one am than another at ten point zero two am. Then we receive stock at ten point zero five am, the whole sequence.
Speaker 1: So it's about the sequence of actions, the journey, not just the final destination. What are the key properties of such a log that make it so powerful?
Speaker 2: Logs have distinct crucial properties. First order and sorting. Messages are always sorted time within a partition, oldest entry.
Speaker 1: The beginning partition, got it.
Speaker 2: Second, writing and reading direction. You always append new entries to the end of the log, like adding to a diary, and you typically read from old to new using what Kafka calls offsets to track your position.
Speaker 1: Offsets like bookmarks kinda yeah.
Speaker 2: And crucially, immutability. Once an entry is written, you can't easily change or remove it. It's like writing in permanent ink.
Speaker 1: That immutability has profound implications for data integrity. I imagine, and I've heard this concept of time travel mentioned with logs. How does that actually work and why is it such a game changer?
Speaker 2: That's right, time travel because the log is immutable and ordered. You can literally reconstruct the state of the world at any point in time by simply replaying the entries from the beginning of the log or from a specific offset. For our online retailer, this means you could replay all order placed events from last year to reconstruct exactly how many items were sold during a specific promotion wow, or even rebuild an entire system state if a database with some lost just from the Kofka log. This capability is really how Kafka helps businesses transition from traditional batch oriented processing you know, waiting for those overnight reports.
Speaker 1: Right at the end of day summary is to real.
Speaker 2: Time data handling, getting instant, up to the minute insights.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly powerful replaying history. But if a log is conceptually simple, why does it need to be distributed? Why not just one gigantic, super fast log on one machine. Yeah, good question, And this feels like where Kofka truly transforms from a concept into an industrial strength powerhouse. Must have big implications for like data resilience exactly.
Speaker 2: The challenge with the single log is clear speed, scalability and resilience a single system, a single server. It's often just not reliable enough hardware fails networks glitch, it's common. Kafka addresses this through horizontal scaling. Me Instead of buying bigger, more powerful servers, vertical scaling you use more servers. When you're existing brokers are getting busy, you just add another one to the cluster.
Speaker 3: Scale out, not up precisely.
Speaker 2: This is cheaper, much more flexible, and fits the reality that individual machines aren't perfectly reliable.
Speaker 1: So that's a fundamental architectural philosophy behind COFKA. Expect failures, build around them.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is. This approach is crucial because individual IT systems are seen as inherently unreliable. Horizontal scaling also enables parallelization.
Speaker 1: More work done at the same time.
Speaker 2: Right, allowing Kofka to process far more messages per unit of time than a single server ever could. And this works sufficiently because in KOFKA, data for one logical entities, say all events related to a specific product or maybe a single customer's order history can be kept in its own log partition.
Speaker 1: Using that message key you mentioned earlier.
Speaker 2: Exactly using the key, this ensures correct ordering for that specific entity, even if the overall order across all products isn't strictly sequential globally.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense order within a context.
Speaker 2: So the implication for you, as someone listening and maybe trying to build robust systems, is that Kofka is designed from the ground up to be highly available and resilient even if parts of it fail. It distributes data and work across many machines. It's built for reliability in an unreliable world.
Speaker 1: That's a fantastic overview of the core architecture, very clear. Let's maybe talk about the messages themselves. Now. The source mentions Kofka's data agnosticism. What does that actually mean for what you can send through it?
Speaker 2: It means Kafka doesn't really care about the content of your messages. It treats all messages as raw BTE arrays.
Speaker 1: Just sequences of bytes yep.
Speaker 2: This flexibility is a key design choice. It allows Kafka to handle any kind of data, whether it's JSON, AVRO proto buff, plaintext, whatever, regardless of its format or structure. It doesn't try to interpret the data, which is actually a big part of its high performance.
Speaker 1: Like a postal service.
Speaker 2: Exactly like a postal service that delivers any package, big or small without needing to know what's inside.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly flexible, But doesn't that mean it's complete agnostic to the meaning or structure of the data. What are the implications of that for say, data governance or ensuring consistency down the line.
Speaker 2: Ah, you've hit on a crucial point there. While Kofka itself is agnostic, in practice, it is optimized for many small structured messages.
Speaker 1: Small unstructure.
Speaker 2: Okay, the default maximum message size is only one megabyte.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's smaller than I might have thought.
Speaker 2: It is, and why you can technically adjust this. It's generally advised against larger messages can severely impact performance disk space. It's just not what it's designed for. Kofka is built for high throughput of many small events, not for transferring large files like PDFs or big video files. I mean, look at LinkedIn. They famously use Kafka to process something like seven trillion messages a day across roughly one hundred clusters back in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Seven trillion a day.
Speaker 2: That's an astonishing number of small messages. Really drives home the point definitely.
Speaker 1: So if most messages are small, what are the common types of messages you typically see in a real world KOFCA system, what patterns emerge in practice?
Speaker 2: Most systems use a mix of message types. You often see states, states, yeah, messages that describe the complete current state of an object, like all the details for a product, its current price, stock level, description, everything, and if you only care about the latest state. KOFKA has a feature called log compaction, which uses message keys to save space by keeping only the most recent version of a particular record.
Speaker 1: Okay, so state is the full picture right now? What else?
Speaker 2: Then? There are deltas. These contain only the changes in state, like just a stock quantity adjustment of negative five because an item sold or plus ten because stock arrived.
Speaker 1: Ah, just the change. That sounds way more efficient for data volume.
Speaker 2: It is much smaller messages, but they're less useful on their own.
Speaker 1: How so, what are the challenges if you only have deltas and need to know, say, the product's total stock right now?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. If you only have deltas, you'd have to process all previous deltas for that product just to reconstruct the current state. That could be computationally intensive for the consumer.
Speaker 1: Right you have to sum them all up exactly.
Speaker 2: Which is why events are often preferred. They describe what happened, but add context. Like instead of just MIGHTO five stock, the event might be order fulfilled event, which contains the stock change but also the order ID, customer ID timestamp more more meaning VAT, adjustment or promotion started, or other examples. Logs, in fact, are really just a special kind of event stream.
Speaker 1: Okay, events give context and you mentioned one more type.
Speaker 2: Yes, commands. These are used to instruct other systems to perform actions like ship this order command or process payment command. Unlike events, where the cener often doesn't care who listens, commands usually require a response or a specific action from the recipient system.
Speaker 1: That distinction between events and commands feels important. Commands expect a reaction. Now you mentioned, messages aren't just a singular blob of data. They have structure. Break that down for us again. What are the parts of a Kafka message?
Speaker 2: Yes, a Kafka message or record technically is composed of a few key elements. First, the value that's the primary payload, the actual information you want to convey, like the details of a customer order.
Speaker 3: Usually the biggest part the core data.
Speaker 2: And there's an optional key which is incredibly important even though it's optional, so important it's used to categorize messages, and critically, messages with the same key are guaranteed by Kafka to go to the same partition.
Speaker 1: Ah. So that's how you ensure order for a specific entity, like all updates for product one two over.
Speaker 2: Exactly, if you send all updates for product one twenty three with a key one twenty three, they land in the same partition in order, it guarantees their order relative to each other, at least from a single producer. The key is also essential for that log compaction feature we mentioned where Kafka retains only the latest message for a given key, very useful for topics representing current state.
Speaker 1: So the key is crucial for ordering and compaction, not just as a ID. What else is in a message?
Speaker 2: There are also optional custom headers. These are meant for technical metadata, things like tracing IDs for distributed systems, maybe security token stuff like that, not really for business data.
Speaker 1: Keep business data in the value generally yes.
Speaker 2: And finally, there's a timestamp. This records the time the message was created by the producer or potentially when it was appended to the broker log, depending on configuration. This timestamp is vital for many real time analytics scenarios, especially when you start dealing with time windows in stream processing.
Speaker 1: Fascinating how much detail goes into what seems like a simple message. Loads of potential there. Now, let's pivot to something absolutely critical for any data system, reliability. How does kofka build trust with your data? How does it ensure nothing gets lost or hopelessly out of order?
Speaker 2: Right? Reliability in Kofka is built on a few core pillars. First, replication and leaders followers.
Speaker 1: We touched on this leaders and followers for partitions exactly.
Speaker 2: For each partition, one broker acts as the leader. It handles all the incoming produce requests and outgoing consumer requests for that partition. The other brokers holding replicas for that partition are called followers, and they just continuously replicate or copy new messages from that leader. This creates redundant copies of your data across different machines.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly robust, multiple copies, But what actually happens behind the scenes when a leader fails let's say the machine crashes. Is the switch to a follower instantaneous? Are there any potential downsides or edge cases? A listener should be.
Speaker 2: Aware of good question. When a leader fails, Kafka automatically detects this and elects a new leader from its set of in sync replicas or ISRs. These are followers that are caught up with a leader's.
Speaker 1: Log ISRs, in sync replicas.
Speaker 2: YEAH, or sometimes eligible leader replicas elrs, depending on the setup. The goal is to ensure the topic remains accessible. Producers and consumers are designed to automatically detect this change and switch to the new leader, usually with minimal interruption. We're talking milliseconds typically.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's fast. Any downsides?
Speaker 2: The main downside is that during that brief election period, that specific partition might be temporarily unavailable for writing. Reading might still be possible from followers depending on config, but writs need the leader. Also, once the original preferred leader comes back online and catches up, KAKA often aims to reinstate it as leader. This helps rebalance the leadership load across the cluster over time.
Speaker 1: That's excellent to know. Automatic failover is key. So how do acknowledgements or ACKs play into this? How do producers know their messages are safely persisted across these replicas before they move on?
Speaker 2: ACKs? Are precisely how producers control the durability guarantee and ensure messages are safely persisted. There are three main strategies controlled by the act's producer. Can fig with x zero it's basically fire and forget send in hope pretty much. It gives the highest performance because the producer doesn't wait for any confirmation at all, but it offers the lowest reliability comforable. Maybe to UDP networking. You could lose messages if the broker fails immediately.
Speaker 1: When would you ever use that?
Speaker 2: It's acceptable if some data loss is tolerable, maybe high volume sensor data where only the latest reading matters and losing an occasional reading isn't catastrophic, like a temperature sensor in a non critical system.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about AX one. That sounds like a middle ground.
Speaker 2: It is AX one means the producer gets a response and acknowledgment as soon as the leader broker successfully receives and writes the message to its local log. This offers much better latency than waiting for all replicas, but data loss is still possible if the leader receives the message sends the akaz act back to the producer but then crashes before that message gets replicated to its followers, that message is lost.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, so it's confirmed by the leader, but not guaranteed replicated.
Speaker 2: Yet exactly, which brings us to AXOL or you can write as a medico one. This has actually been the default setting since Kafka three.
Speaker 1: Point zero, the safest option.
Speaker 2: Yes, AXOL offers the highest reliability with this setting. The leader waits until all of the current in sync replica's ISRs have successfully persisted the data to their logs before sending that final ACK back to the producer.
Speaker 1: So you know it's on multiple machines, right.
Speaker 2: This is what you definitely want for critical data like those customer orders, financial transactions, anything you absolutely cannot lose.
Speaker 1: So for guaranteed delivery, AXOL is the gold standard. Is there a way to fine tune exactly how many InSync replicas need to acknowledge before the leader confirms? Maybe you don't need all of them, just a majority.
Speaker 2: Yes. Absolutely. That's where men dot nsync dot replicas comes in. It's a topic level configuration setting that works hand in hand with AXOL.
Speaker 1: How does it work?
Speaker 2: It specifies the minimum number of ISRs, including the leader itself that must acknowledge the right before the leader confirms receipt back to the producer. So if you have a replication factor of three and you set men dot nsync dot replicas two, then the right succeeds as long as the leader and at least one follower confirm it. If only the leader is available, well, the producer will get an error and can retry, preventing potential data loss if too many replicas are temporarily down or slow.
Speaker 1: That gives you really fine grain control over the durability versus availability trade off. Very useful, but what about guaranteeing messages are written exactly once and in the correct order, especially if a producer has to retry sending due to a temporary network issue or something that sounds like a classic distributed systems headache.
Speaker 2: It is a tough problem, but Kaofka has solutions for that. We turn to idempatance and transactions.
Speaker 1: Idempatance, meaning doing something multiple times, has the same effect as doing.
Speaker 2: It once, precisely by setting enabled dot idempatance true on the producer, which is actually the default now too. Alongside acts all, Kafka ensures that messages are written in the correct order. Within a partition and are present exactly once, even if the producer retries sending.
Speaker 1: How does it do that without much overhead?
Speaker 2: It uses sequence numbers assigned by the producer and tracked by the broker. The performance loss is negligible, maybe one percent or less, but the gain in data integrity is huge. Imagine if an order place message got duplicated because of a retry, I defidence prevents that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I dumpetance handles duplicates from producer retries. What about transactions? When do they come in?
Speaker 2: Transactions are for achieving exactly once semantics eos When you're doing more complex things, especially involving multiple partitions or transferring data atomically between COFKA and other external systems like databases or other COFKA topics.
Speaker 1: Like a multi step process that needs to succeed or fail entirely exactly.
Speaker 2: A producer can begin a transaction, send messages to multiple partitions, and then either commit the transaction, making all messages visible to consumers, or abort it, discarding them all. It's atomic.
Speaker 1: How do transactions affect consumers? Do they need to do anything special?
Speaker 2: Yes? Crucially, consumers that need transactional guarantees must set their isolation dot level configuration to read.
Speaker 3: Committed, read committed Okay.
Speaker 2: This ensures they only read messages that are part of successfully committed transactions, filtering out any messages from aborted transactions or ongoing ones. It's actually good practice to set this even if you don't use transactions initially, just to be safe.
Speaker 1: And how does Kafka manage this atomicity across potentially multiple brokers and partitions.
Speaker 2: It uses a variation of the classic two phase commit protocol. Internally, it involves transaction coordinators on the brokers and special control messages. It's complex under the hood, but it provides that strong guarantee of atonic rights across multiple partitions, ensuring data consistency throughout your entire data flow.
Speaker 1: That's a truly comprehensive approach to reliability from replication and ACKs right through to idempaitence and transactions. Very impressive. Now, let's talk about speed. Kafka is famous for its performance. It's throughput. How does it achieve such high speeds and what are the key configurations that truly make it fly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, performance is definitely one of Kafka's hallmarks. It's inherently tuned for performance right out of the box. It's design basically assumes that hard disks are relatively cheap these days and memory is quite abundant, okay, and it heavily prioritizes horizontal scaling as we discussed. But to truly make it fly, optimization through careful configuration settings across all the components producers, brokers and consumers is vital. It's not just one magic switch.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned partitions are key to performance earlier? Can you elaborate on how they directly contribute to speed and throughput?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, partitions are key because they enable massive parallel processing and load balancing. Remember, topics are divided into partitions and these partitions are then distributed across the different brokeram machines. Producers determine which partition to send messages to, usually based on the key and on the consumer side, we use consumer.
Speaker 1: Groups consumer groups. What are those exactly?
Speaker 2: A consumer group is just a set of consumer instances that cooperate to consume from a topic. Kafka automatically assigns the partitions of a topic across the available consumers in a group. So if a topic has ten partitions and you have five consumers in a group. Each consumer will handle two partitions in parallel.
Speaker 1: AH, so the group processes the topic together in parallel across partitions exactly.
Speaker 2: This allows you to scale out your consumption by simply adding more consumer instances to the group up to the number of partitions, it drastically increases the overall message processing throughput.
Speaker 1: I understand that more partitions can mean more potential parallelism, more throughput, but it feels like there could be a point of diminishing returns or even negative consequences. What are the implications of having too many partitions? Is their downside?
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right to be cautious. There definitely is a downside. While increasing partitions can boost throughput up to a point, it introduces significant complexity and overhead if you go too far. Like what well, each partition demand client resources, memory on producers and consumers on the brokers, Each partition is a log file on disc requiring file handles, memory for indexing, and CPU for replication. Thousands or tens of thousands of partitions can really strain broker resources. It can also lead to prolonged unavailability during certain failure scenarios like leader elections, especially with older zookeeper managed clusters, where a zookeeper itself could become.
Speaker 1: A bottleneck, So finding the right number is important crucial.
Speaker 2: Imagine our online retailer suddenly deciding to have a million tiny partitions, one for every single product desk cue. While it might sound organized for ordering, the overhead of managing all those partitions, leader, elections, replication traffic, client connections would likely overwhelm the system and actually reduce overall performance instability.
Speaker 1: And can you easily change the number later?
Speaker 2: That's another catch. Reducing the number of partitions for a topic isn't really possible without potentially losing data or complex manual steps. Increasing partitions is easier. You could do that online, but increasing partitions disrupts message ordering guarantees for existing keys. Why because the partitioner usually calculates the target partition using something like hash key percent number of partitions. If you chang ange the number of partitions, the result changes and messages with the same key start going to different partitions than before, breaking strict ordering for that key until all the old data expires.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so choosing the initial partition count and planning for future growth is really important. Get it wrong, It's hard to fix. Easily.
Speaker 2: Exactly optimal balance is key usually found through careful testing, monitoring, and understanding your data access patterns. Don't just pick a huge number upfront.
Speaker 1: That's a very clear warning. So partitions are critical for scaling. How does the producer specifically contribute to this incredible performance? Beyond just sending messages?
Speaker 2: Producer performance relies heavily on batching. This is super.
Speaker 1: Important batching grouping messages.
Speaker 2: Yes. Instead of sending each message individually over the network as soon as it's ready, producers collect messages destined for the same partition on the same broker and group them into larger batches than they send the entire batch in one go.
Speaker 1: That must save a lot of network round trips.
Speaker 2: Drastically, It significantly enhances performance and reduce uses network load by sending fewer, larger chunks of data rather than many small ones.
Speaker 1: How do you control that batching?
Speaker 2: You can figure it mainly with two settings. Yeah, batch dot size which sets the maximum batch size and bytes, and linger dot ms, which is the maximum time in milliseconds. The producer will wait to try and fill up a batch before sending it, even if it's not full yet.
Speaker 1: So a trade off between latency and throughput exactly.
Speaker 2: Larger linger dot m's values like five meters, ten meters or even more increase latency slightly because messages wait longer, but they also increase the chance of bigger batches, leading to much better throughput and efficiency. Finding the sweet spot depends on your application's latency requirements.
Speaker 1: And what about compression? Does that happen at the producer?
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's another big performance booster. The producer can compress the entire batch of messages just once before sending.
Speaker 1: It the whole batch, not message by message, whole batch.
Speaker 2: This is much more efficient than compressing individual messages. Common compression types like snappy, gzip, LZ for zstd are supported. This significantly reduces the amount of data sent over the network and also saves hard disk space on the brokers as they store and transmit the compressed batches unchanged.
Speaker 1: Clever batching and compression working together. And earlier you mentioned zero copy transfer as a neat trick for brokers to achieve high performance. How does that actually make the brokers faster? What are they doing or rather not doing right?
Speaker 2: Broker performance is maximized largely by keeping them as simple and efficient as possible. Their primary job is in complex computation. It's really about efficiently pushing bytes from network sockets to disc when receiving from producers, reducing and pushing bytes from disc back to network sockets when sending to consumers.
Speaker 1: Consuming just moving data pretty much.
Speaker 2: And this is where zero copy transfer, a feature available in Linux and other Unix like operating systems, comes into play. It's a fundamental reason Kofka can achieve such incredible speeds on commodity hardware.
Speaker 1: So what does zero copy actually avoid?
Speaker 2: What cop Imagine the traditional way data moves from the disc into the operating system kernel's memory page cash, then copied into the applications memory, the coca broker process, then copied back into the kernel socket buffer memory, and finally copied out to the network card. That's multiple copies and memory.
Speaker 1: Sounds inefficient, it is.
Speaker 2: Zero copy allows the kernel to directly transfer data from the disc cache page cash straight to the network socket buffer without needing that intermediate copy into the applications Kafka's memory space.
Speaker 1: It cuts out the middleman the application buffer exactly.
Speaker 2: It avoids unnecessary data copies and CPU context switches between kernel mode and user mode. This makes the broker astonishingly efficient, acting more like a super fast data pipeline or router than a heavy processing engine. And because Coffka's message format on disc is the same as it's over the wire format, this works beautifully.
Speaker 1: That's a really key optimization. And you also mentioned Kofka often relies on the OS for flushing data to disc rather than doing it manually after every rite.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Generally Kafka avoids forcing manual sink operations after every message right for performance reasons, and FOLCNC forces the OS to physically write data from its cashes to the disc hardware immediately, which it can be slow.
Speaker 1: So it risks losing data if the OS crashes before flushing.
Speaker 2: In theory, yes, for data that's only in the OS cash, but Kofka relies on its replication mechanism for durability. By the time a producer gets an ax AL confirmation, the data is safely replicated to multiple brokers, OS caches and likely heading to disk soon via background OS processes. Relying on replication plus the OS's background flushing provides high throughput and strong durability guarantees in practice.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Reliability through replications speed through avoiding forced sinks, so producers batch and compress brokers use zero copy. What about the consumer side? Is there a bottleneck there or is COFKA just pushing data as fast as the network allows?
Speaker 2: Consumer performances is definitely configurable. You have settings like fetch dot min dot bytes, which tells the broker the minimum amount of data to send back in one go.
Speaker 1: So the consumer isn't getting piny responses all the time.
Speaker 2: Right, and fetch dot max dot wheat dot ms the maximum time the broker will wait for that minimum amount of data to accumulate before sending back whatever it has. These help tune the balance between latency and throughput on the consumer side, similar to the producer's lingered MS.
Speaker 1: Okay, but where's the real limit?
Speaker 2: Usually here's a crucial insight and something many people overlook when troubleshooting performance. Consumer performance is typically limited by how fast the consumer application processes the data, not by COFA itself.
Speaker 1: So it's my code that's slow, not COFKA.
Speaker 2: Often, yes, COFA brokers are incredibly efficient at serving data. Our own performance tests and many others often reveal that consumers can easily pull data much faster than typical producers can even send it. The bottleneck is frequently your own application logic. How quickly can your online retailer's inventory serve, look up product details, updated's database and acknowledge the item sold event it just received from kofca. Or sometimes it's simply the network bandwidth available to the consumer, but rarely is it Kafka's ability to deliver the bytes.
Speaker 1: That's a really key distinction to keep in mind for optimization and troubleshooting. Focus on the consumer application logic first. Okay, we've covered the core mechanics, reliability, performance, fantastic foundation. Now let's talk about how coofka integrates with the wider world of systems and enables that exciting realm of real time data analysis. How does coofca connect fit into this picture? What is it?
Speaker 2: Coppa connect is a really powerful framework and tool that's part of the Apache Kofka project. Its purpose is to make it easy to integrate COFCA with external systems.
Speaker 1: External systems like what think.
Speaker 2: Databases, key value stores, search indexes, file systems, cloud storage like S three, messaging queues like JMS, pretty much anything you'd want to get data at kofka from or get data out of Kofka into Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's like a universe data bridge builder for COFKA.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. And crucially, it aims to do this without you having to write custom integration code for every single system you use pre built or community connectors.
Speaker 1: So why should you, the listener care about COOFCA connect? What's the big benefit?
Speaker 2: The big benefit is that it helps automate and standardize data flow to and from Kofka. It massively simplifies building and managing these data pipelines. For our online retailer example, it means effortlessly getting customer profile updates from a CRM system into a COSTA topic or pushing processed order data from Kofka into a downstream data warehouse or fulfillment system, all using configuration rather than complex custom code.
Speaker 1: Less code, more configuration sounds good. How does it work? Architecturally?
Speaker 2: A Kafka connect deployment runs as a cluster of workers. These are just JVM processes that execute the integration tasks. They handle skivelling offsets, configuration, and distributing.
Speaker 1: The actual work workers running the tasks and the tasks themselves.
Speaker 2: The actual integration logic is encapsulated in connectors. These are plugins that you deploy to your connect pluster. There are two main types, source connectors and sync connectors.
Speaker 1: Source and sync easy enough.
Speaker 2: Source connectors import data from an external system into Kofka topics. For example, a GDBC source connector can pull a database table for new rows or more powerfully, connectors like Debisium perform change data capture CDC by reading database transaction logs and sending every single row level change, insert, update, delete to Kafka in real time.
Speaker 1: CDC is huge for real time data warehousing and replication.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and then sync connectors do the opposite. They export data from Coffka topics to external systems, like writing records from a Cofka topic into lastic search for searching, or hdfs for archiving, or maybe calling a rest api.
Speaker 1: Very powerful. Can you do any like light transformations on the messages as they pass through connect maybe clean things up a bit before they hit kafka or before they go to the sync system.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can. Coffka connects support something called Sync Message transformations or smts smmt's. These allow you to perform simple, stateless record level transformations on messages within the connect pipeline. They could be applied before a message is written to Kafka by a source connector, or before a message is written to an external system by a sync.
Speaker 1: Connector what kind of transformations.
Speaker 2: Common examples include things like renaming fields, replaced field, dropping fields, replace field again or drop, extracting a field from the message value to become the message key value, toke, pulling out a specific field, extract field, or even masking sensitive fields by setting them to null or a fixed value mask field for privacy or compliance reasons.
Speaker 1: That sounds really useful for basic cleanup or shaping.
Speaker 2: It is for light work, but there's an important warning here. Smts are not a fully fledged ETL extract transform load tool. They are designed for simple, stateless transformations on individual messages. If you need complex transformations, stateful operations, joins between different data sources, or heavy computation, smts are not the right tool.
Speaker 1: So for the heavy lifting.
Speaker 2: For that you typically turn to a dedicated stream processing framework.
Speaker 1: AH stream processing. Perfect segue. Welcome to the world of stream processing. What exactly is that and why is it such a natural fit such a big deal When talking about Kofka.
Speaker 2: Stream processing is essentially about processing data continuously as it arrives, typically in real time or near real time, instead of collecting data into batches and processing it hours later the old way. Right, you process potentially unbounded streams of data events as they flow through the system, like data flowing through Coofka topics and the benefit This enables instant analysis, immediate reactions to business changes, and the creation of applications that are always up to date. Think back to our online retailer. Instead of knowing total sales only at the end of the day from a Bash report, stream processing allows them to see real time sales trends as they happen. They can detect potentially fraudulent transactions within seconds, or trigger personalized offers based on a customer's immediate browsing behavior on their website. It unlocks truly real time capabilities.
Speaker 1: That makes sense moving from batch latency to real time responsiveness. What are some common frameworks people use for this with Kofka.
Speaker 2: There are several powerful frame works out there. Kafka streams is a very popular choice because it's actually a Java library that's part of the Apache Kofka project itself. It makes it easy to build stream processing applications that read from and write to.
Speaker 1: Kaofka tightly integrated.
Speaker 2: Very then you have other major open source players like Apache Flank, which is known for its sophisticated state management and event time processing capabilities. There's also Apache spark streaming, though it's more microbatch oriented. Historically, and in other ecosystems, you might see things like Scala's AKA streams or Python's faust library.
Speaker 1: Lots of choices, Let's maybe focus on Kofka streams. Since it's part of kofka. How do you actually process these streams using it? What are the building blocks.
Speaker 2: And Kafka streams. If you define your processing logic as a topology of processors, kind of like chaining together operations, you typically start with a source processor which reads data from one or more Cofka topics into a stream called a k stream.
Speaker 1: Okay, get the data in then what Then.
Speaker 2: You apply various transformation or processing steps. You can filter messages based on some condition, maybe only keep orders with the value over one hundred dollars. You can use map or map values to transform the messages. Map values just changes the message value. Well, map can change both the key and the value, or even the type of.
Speaker 1: The message useful for reshaping data definitely.
Speaker 4: You can merge two different data streams together into one, or you can split a single stream into multiple downstream topics based on different conditions, like routing high value orders to one topic and standard orders.
Speaker 1: To another, branching the flow exactly.
Speaker 2: And A very common and powerful operation is aggregation. Like count, This coount's occurrence is per key. For example, continuously counting how many times each product was viewed or.
Speaker 1: Added to a cart. That sounds like it needs to remember things over time.
Speaker 2: It does. Operations like count. Some reduce are stateful. They need to maintain and update some internal state based on the incoming messages. Kofka Streams manages this state reliably interesting.
Speaker 1: I've also heard of streaming squel being used with Kafka. Is that like running familiar SQL queries but on live, constantly changing data streams instead of static tables.
Speaker 2: Precisely, streaming SQL offers a higher level declarative way to define stream processing logic using SQL like syntax. Frameworks like KSQLDB built on Coofka Streams or flink sql allow you to write queries like selection productive count from clicks group by producted directly on data streams.
Speaker 1: But what does that query return? A stream doesn't have an end good point.
Speaker 2: Unlike a traditional database query that runs once and returns a single final result set, a streaming SEQL query typically runs continuously and produces a new data stream of changes.
Speaker 1: A stream of changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so for that at count query, the output stream would contain messages indicating the updated count for a productive Every time the count changes due to a new click event arriving, it continuously refines the result.
Speaker 1: So the result itself is a stream. That's a different way of thinking it is.
Speaker 2: And maybe frameworks like flank sql also support a headless mode where you can deploy pre defined SQL queries that just run continuously in the background, perhaps writing their continuously updated results back to another Kafka topic or an external database.
Speaker 1: You mentioned state full operations like counting and how Kaffa streams manage a state. You also hear about stream states and tables. How do those fit in? Especially with aggregations.
Speaker 2: Right, stream processing frameworks need a way to reliably store the state required for operations like aggregations, counts, sums, averages, or for joins between streams in Kaffa streams. This state is typically stored in local state stores on the machine running the application instance. These are often backed by embedded databases like rockstd for performance local storage.
Speaker 1: What happens if the the application instance crashes is the state.
Speaker 2: Loss ah good question. That's where Kafka's own reliability comes in. These local state stores are backed by internal change log topics in Kafka.
Speaker 1: Itself changelog topics.
Speaker 2: Yes, every update made to the local state store is also written as a message to a compacted Kofka topic. If your application instance crashes and restarts, possibly on a different machine, Kafka streams can automatically restore its local state by replaying the messages from that changelog topic. It makes the state fault tolerant.
Speaker 1: Clever using Kafka to back up the state of the stream processor exactly so.
Speaker 2: Those aggregations like some or Average, use these state stores to keep track of the running calculation. The result of an aggregation in Kafka streams is often represented as a K table.
Speaker 1: A K table. What's that compared to a K stream.
Speaker 2: Think of a K stream as representing the raw sequence of events, the history what happened. A K table, on the other hand, represents the current state derived from that stream, like an up to date view or materialize few What is the current value? So the output of our account aggregation would be a K table where the key is the producted and the value is its latest.
Speaker 1: Count stream effects table of current state. Got it? And what about combining data from different streams or enriching a stream with data from a table. How do streaming joins work? In this world?
Speaker 2: Joins are essential for enriching data. Stream processing frameworks support various types of joins. You can do stream table joins. This is common for enrichment. Imagine you have a K stream of order events and a K table containing customer profile information keep by customer ID. You can join the order stream with a customer table to add the customer's name and address to each order event as it flows through. The join is typically triggered when a new event arrives on the stream and it looks up the corresponding key.
Speaker 4: In the table.
Speaker 1: Okay, enriching events with static ish data. Right.
Speaker 2: You can also do table table joints, where changes in either table can trigger updates to the joined result. This is useful for combining two evolving data sets. And then you have stream stream joins joining two potentially infinite streams of events. This usually requires defining a time window, because you need to specify how long the system should wait for a matching event to arrive on the other stream before giving up. For example, joining AD impressions with AD clicks based on a user ID within say a five minute window.
Speaker 1: Windows become crucial for stream stream joins. And you mentioned earlier that for joins to work efficiently, data often needs to be copartitioned. Can you remind us what that means? Sure?
Speaker 2: Copartitioning is a prerequisite for efficient joins and some aggregations in many distributed stream processing systems, including cough To streams. It means that records from the different topics being joined, which share the same joint key, must reside in partitions with the same ID number across.
Speaker 1: Those topics, same key, same partition number, even if in different topics exactly.
Speaker 2: Think of it like this. If you have customer orders in one Kafka topic orders and customer addresses in another topic, dresses both potentially partitioned across multiple brokers. For Kafa streams to efficiently join an order with its corresponding address based on customer it needs to ensure that the order for a customer one twenty three Q one twenty three and the address for customer one twenty three Q one twenty three both land in say, partition five of their respective topics. Why is that necessary Because then the Kaffka stream's task responsible for processing partition five will have local access to both the order and the address data for customer one twenty three. It doesn't need to make slow network calls to fetch data from other partitions or other instances. It keeps the joint operation efficient and scalable.
Speaker 1: It's like ensuring related files are in the same filing cabinet drawer, even across different cabinets, so you only have to look in one place.
Speaker 2: That's a perfect analogy. If data isn't naturally co partitioned by key when it arrives, kopfcas streams often needs to perform an internal repartitioning step, which involves writing the data to an intermediate correctly partitioned topic before the join can happen. This adds some overhead, but ensures correctness.
Speaker 1: That co partitioning requirement makes perfect sense for distributed joints. Now time itself seems like a really crucial and potentially tricky concept in stream processing. You mentioned event time earlier. What are the different time concepts we need to be aware of and why does it matter which one you use?
Speaker 2: Yes, Understanding time is absolutely vital and choosing the wrong time semantic can lead to inaccurate results. There are generally four key time concepts people talk about. First, event time. This is when the event actually occurred in the real world, like the timestamp generated by the sensor when it took a reading, or the exact moment a customer clicked a button on the website.
Speaker 1: The time it happened.
Speaker 2: Second, create time. This is the time when the producer application created the COFCA message. This is often close to event time, but could be later if there's a delay in the producing system. This is actually the default time stamp stored in COFCA messages if the producer doesn't explicitly sell one. Third, log a pen time this is the time when the coffer broker received the message and appended it to the partition's log. This timestamp is assigned by the broker itself. Messages within a partition are strictly ordered by log.
Speaker 1: A pen time Okay, broker received time.
Speaker 2: And finally, stream time or sometimes called processing time. This is the time when the message is actually processed by the stream processing application.
Speaker 1: Instance.
Speaker 2: This is usually the latest of all the time stamps and can be affected by processing delays, network latency, etc.
Speaker 1: So event time create time log a pen time, stream processing time. Why does the choice matter so much?
Speaker 2: It matters because if you want accurate results that reflect the real world sequence of events, especially when dealing with data that might arrive late or out of order, which is common in distributed systems, you generally want to use event time.
Speaker 1: Even if messages arrive out of sequence.
Speaker 2: Yes, processing based on event time allows the system to correctly handle out of order data and produce results consistent with when things actually happened. Example, if you're calculating hourly sales totals, using event time ensures a sale that occurred at ten five h zero five am but arrive late at eleven five zero five am still gets counted in the ten point zero zero eleven point zero am window. Using processing time would put it in the wrong hour.
Speaker 1: Ah. That makes a huge difference for accuracy. But processing based on event time sounds more complex.
Speaker 2: It is more complex. The stream processor needs mechanisms to handle potentially late arriving data, often using concepts like water marks to track the progress of event time and decide when it's safe to finalize calculations for a given time. Window processing time is simpler, but less accurate for many use cases.
Speaker 1: Okay, that clarifies the time concepts and building on that you mentioned, time windows are often used with stream processing, especially for aggregations or joints. What are some common types of windows and one would you use them? Come?
Speaker 2: Windows are fundamental for defining boundaries for calculations on unbanded streams. Common types include tumbling windows. These are fixed size, non overlapping windows. Think of them like slicing time into consecutive chunks, for example, calculating total sales for each distinct hour ten point zero zero, eleven point zero zero, eleven point zero zero, zero, twelve, de verits, et cetera. Great for curiotic.
Speaker 1: Reports fixed separate blocks. Got it?
Speaker 2: Then you have sliding windows. These also have a fixed length, but they slide forward continuously by a specified slide interval, meaning the windows overlap. For example, calculating the average website response time over the last five minutes updated every one minute. Useful for monitoring moving averages or recent trends.
Speaker 1: Overlapping continuously updated.
Speaker 2: Few right, they're also hopping windows. These are similar to sliding windows fixed length overlapping, but defined by both the window size and a fixed advancement interval the hop For example, calculating a daily report covering the last seven days where the window is seven days long and it hops forward by one day each day.
Speaker 1: Okay, like a sliding window, but maybe advancing less frequently kind of.
Speaker 2: And finally, session windows these are quite different. Their boundaries aren't based on fixed time intervals, but on peer of inactivity in the data stream.
Speaker 1: Grouped by key inactivity. How does that work?
Speaker 2: You define a session gap duration for a given key like a user ID. All events arriving within that gap duration of each other are grouped into the same session window. If no event arrives for that key for longer than the gap, the session is considered closed and the next event starts a new session. Perfect for tracking user sessions on a website where session ends after say thirty minutes of no clicks from that user.
Speaker 1: That's really clever for activity based analysis. Lots of windowing options, so we have all these powerful stream processing capabilities with Kafka streams transformations, state management, joins Windows. How does Kafka streams actually achieve parallelization for all this work? If I run multiple instances of my streaming application, how do they coordinate?
Speaker 2: Kaffka Streams leverages Costca's own partitioning model for parallelization, which is really elegant. It effectively splits the processing topology your chain of K streams and K tables into independent units called tasks. Each task is responsible for processing data from one or more specific partitions of the input Cofka topics.
Speaker 1: So one task per input partition roughly generally.
Speaker 2: Yes, although a task might process partitions from multiple topics if they're part of a join or merge. These tasks are the smallest unit of parallelization. Kaffka Streams then automatically distributes these tasks as evenly as possible across all the running instances of your application that share the same application dot eight ah.
Speaker 1: The application dot A links the instances together.
Speaker 2: Correct It acts like the consumer group i D we discussed earlier. If you have say, ten partitions in your input topic, and you run five instances of your Coffa streams application with the same id Kaffa streams will assign two tasks and thus two partitions to each instance to process in parallel.
Speaker 1: And what happens if one of those application instances fails Coffa.
Speaker 2: Streams handles that automatically too, using Kafka's underlying consumer group rebalancing protocol. If an instance fails or leaves the group, its task are automatically redistributed among the remaining healthy instances. Similarly, if you add a new instance, tasks will be migrated to it to rebalance the load. This provides elasticity and fault tolerance for your stream processing very resilient.
Speaker 1: You mentioned repartitioning earlier for joins, Does that involve these tasks too?
Speaker 2: Yes. For operations like key based joins or aggregations group by key count, et cetera that require data to be grouped by key, Kofka streams might need to perform that repartitioning step we talked about. This is done internally by writing the relevant data stream to a special intermediate KOFCA topic often called a repartition topic, which is correctly partitioned by the required key. Then downstream tasks read from this repartition topic. This effectively shuffles the data across the tasks based on the key, ensuring all messages for a specific key are processed by the same task, even if they originally came from different input partitions. This might split your overall processing logic into what COFFCA Streams calls sub topologies connected by these interns ernal repartition topics, optimizing dataflow and correctness.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly powerful and quite sophisticated under the hood, allowing complex stateful processing to scale out and be fault tolerant. But with all this power comes responsibility. Right, we've built this amazing real time data nervous system. Let's talk about management and security. How do you keep KOFKA healthy, compliant, and secure, especially in a large production environment with many teams using it.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right. Once KOFKA becomes central to your data architecture, effective governance becomes crucial. Without it, things can quickly descend into chaos.
Speaker 1: Chaos how well.
Speaker 2: Imagine different teams producing data to the same topic but using slightly different formats or field names. Without agreement. Downstream consumer's break data becomes inconsistent, trust or roads. You risk that garbage in garbage out scenario.
Speaker 1: We mentioned so defining clear rules is step one.
Speaker 2: Yes, even if you don't use a formal tool initially, data always has a schema, implicit or explicit. Documenting and agreeing on schemas between producers and consumers is paramount For our online retailer. The team producing order events needs to agree with the teams consuming them, fulfillment analytics, etc. On exactly what fields are present, their types, and whether they are required or optional.
Speaker 1: Okay, agree on the schema, But schemas evolve. What about handling changes? How do you ensure a change made by one team doesn't break everyone else.
Speaker 2: That's where schema compatibility levels come into play. These are rules that define how schemas are allowed to evolve over time. They cover in changes like adding or deleting fields or changing types.
Speaker 1: What are the common levels?
Speaker 2: You typically have no compatibility or no nell anything goes. Any change is allowed, even breaking ones like renaming a required field very risky. Backward compatibility new schemas must be readable by applications using older schemas. This usually means you can add optional fields or delete existing fields, but not add required fields or rename existing ones. Consumers run older code won't break when encountering new data.
Speaker 1: Okay, new consumers can read old data. Wait, no other way around. Old consumers can read new data. Let me rephrase. Backward means consumers using the new schema can still process data written with the old schema. You can add optional fields or delete fields. Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, let me clarify that. Backward compatibility means consumers using the new schema can process data produced with the old schema. This usually allows deleting fields or making required fields optional.
Speaker 1: Got it, new code reads old data.
Speaker 2: Then forward compatibility, consumers using an old schema can process data produced with the new schema. This usually allows adding new fields typically optional, or making optional fields required. Old code won't break when seeing new data.
Speaker 1: Formats old code reads new data.
Speaker 2: And finally, full compatibility. This combines both backward and forward Both new and old consumers can read both new and old data. This is the safest but often the most restrictive, typically only allowing adding or moving optional fields.
Speaker 1: Choosing the right compatibility level seems critical for managing change smoothly.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it prevents unexpected breakages as your data landscape evolves.
Speaker 1: And that leads us naturally to schema registries. I assume are these the tools that enforce these compatibility rules exactly.
Speaker 2: Schema registries like the popular Confluence Schema Registry or alternatives like care Paths or EPICUREA registry act as a central authority or single source of truth for all schemas used within your Kafka ecosystem.
Speaker 1: What do they do?
Speaker 2: They store schemas like Avro, Poto, Boof or Jason schema definitions, manage different versions of those schemas, and critically, they enforce the compatibility rules you've defined for each topic or subject. In registry terms, when a producer tries to send data, it often first checks with the registry if the schema it's using is compatible with the registered versions for that topic according to the configured compatibility level. If not, the registry can reject the attempt, preventing incompatible data from ever entering cope. Consumers also use a registry to fetch the correct schema to de serialize incoming data.
Speaker 1: So the registry acts like a gatekeeper for schema quality and evolution.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it's a cornerstone of good Kafka governance.
Speaker 1: Okay governance handles the data structure. Moving to security, what are the core concerns for protecting your Kafka cluster and the data flowing through it from unauthorized access or potential breaches. This must be top of mind for anyone running Cofka with sensitive data.
Speaker 2: Security is absolutely paramount, and it involves several layers. First, you need authentication. This verifies who a client, producer, consumer, broker, dual claims to be. Common mechanisms include using mutual TLS MTLs, where both the client and server present certificates to verify each other's identity.
Speaker 1: Encrypted and authenticated connection.
Speaker 2: Right, or using SSL simple authentication and security layer which supports various pluggable methods like Curbaro's common and traditional enterprises plane user name password used with TLS scram, more secure challenges, sponsor passwords or even o opatonide connect via SaaS loft bearer for integration with modern identity providers.
Speaker 1: So confirm identity first.
Speaker 2: Then what Once a client is authenticated? You need authorization. This defines what an authenticated client is actually allowed to do. Can it read from topic A? Can it write to topic B? Can it create new topics?
Speaker 1: Controlling permissions exactly?
Speaker 2: Kafka typically handles this via Access control Lists ACLS. You define rules specifying which user principle has which permission read, write, create, describe, etc. On which resource, topic, group cluster. The best practice here is always the least privileged principle. Grant only the permissions absolutely necessary for a client to perform its function, nothing more.
Speaker 1: Don't give the marketing analytics consumer rate access to the payment processing topic.
Speaker 2: Definitely not. ACLS prevent that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Authentication and authorization control access. What about protecting the data itself, both as it moves across the network and when it's sitting on the broker's discs.
Speaker 2: Good point. That involves encryption for data in transit between clients and brokers or between brokers themselves. You use transport encryption, typically TLS Transport Layer Security, the successor to SSL. Enabling. TLS encrypts all the COOFKA traffic, preventing eavesdropping on the network.
Speaker 1: Is there a performance hit?
Speaker 2: Yes, TLS does introduce some CPU overhead for the encryption decryption process, so there's a performance cost, but it's often a necessary cost for security. KOFKA cleverly supports configuring multiple listeners per broker, For example, one plaintext listener on port nine zero nine two and one TLS listener on part nine zero nine three. This allows for gradual migration of clients to TLS without downtime.
Speaker 1: Okay TLS for data in motion. What about encryption at rest when data is stored on the broker discs.
Speaker 2: Kofka itself doesn't provide built in features for encrypting data stored within its log files on disc. For encryption at rest, you typically rely on capabilities of the underlying operating system or storage system, for instance, using filesystem level encryption like Linux's dmcrypt LUKS or features provided by cloud storage volumes like ebs encryption on AWS.
Speaker 1: So handle it at the infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Layer generally yes. Alternatively, a pattern sometimes used as employing a secure KOFCA proxy that encrypts message values before they are even produced to Kafka and decrypts them after consumption. This has complexity, but ensures the data on the broker disc is encrypted at the application level.
Speaker 1: And what about true end to end encryption where only the original producer and final consumer can decrypt the message and even the brokers can't see the plaintext.
Speaker 2: That offers the highest level of confidentiality for critical data. However, it must be implemented entirely by the client applications themselves. The producer incrudes the message value before sending, and the consumer decrypts it after receiving. KOFKA just transports the encrypted byt RAY. There's no widely adopted standard library or built in KOFKA feature for this, so it requires careful implementation and key management on the client side.
Speaker 1: Okay, so multiple layers often off c TLS encryption and transit infrastructure encryption at rest, an optional client side end to end encryption seems comprehensive. What if you have an existing cluster that was set up without security enabled. Is it a massive disruptive project to secure it later without causing significant downtime?
Speaker 2: Fortunately, no, it's usually manageable. You can secure an unsecured cluster gradually without affecting availabilities significantly. The key is using those multiple listeners. You can add new secure listeners example saslpls alongside the existing plaintex listeners on all brokers, usually requiring rolling restarts of the brokers one by one. Then you update the inner broker communication protocol to use the secure listener another rolling restart. Finally, you migrate your client applications incrementally to connect to the secure listeners and configure their authentication credentials. Once all clients are migrated, you can optionally disable the old plaintex listeners, a well defined process designed to minimize disruption, so.
Speaker 1: It's not an all or nothing, big bang cutover. That's very reassuring for organizations looking to improve their security posture. Now, what about managing resource usage? We talked about performance, but how do you prevent a single misbehaving or poorly coded application from consuming excessive resources and potentially impacting the entire cluster and all other users.
Speaker 2: That's where resource allocations, specifically quotas come into play.
Speaker 1: Quotas limits.
Speaker 2: Yes, Kafka allows administrators to set quotas on resource consumption for clients. Their primary purpose is really to protect the cluster from excessive load caused by misconfigured, buggy, or even malicious clients. It's generally not intended as a mechanism to artificially limit well behaved clients or enforced strict service tiers, though some use it that way.
Speaker 1: What kind of resources can you limit?
Speaker 2: The main quota is control produce and consume throughput rates measured invites per second. You can set a producer bitter quota and a consumer bitter quota. There's also a request percentage quota that limits the percentage of CPU time a client's request can utilize on the broker's network and IO threads, preventing CPU starvation.
Speaker 1: Bandwidth and CPU usage limits. Can you set these limits broadly or target specific users or applications.
Speaker 2: You can define quotas at different levels. You can set them based on the client dot ID property configured in the producer or consumer application. However, client dot ID can sometimes be easily spoofed or shared across instances. A more robust approach is to set quotas at the authenticated user level, based on the principle derived from SASEL or TLS. Authentication. User level quotas are generally considered more reliable for enforcement. You can also set default quotas per user or per client ID.
Speaker 1: What's the best practice for setting these quota values? Should you be really strict.
Speaker 2: The general best practice is actually to set quotas quite generously, well above the normal expected peak usage for a client, monitor the actual usage closely. The idea is to use quotas as a safety net or a safeguard to catch runaway clients or denial of service attempts, rather than using them as a strict bottleneck that clients regularly bump up against during normal operation. They're like circuit breakers, not fine grain.
Speaker 1: Traffic shapers use them as guardrails, not speed limits for everyday traffic. Makes sense. We've talked a lot about Kofka's internals, capabilities management, What about actually running it? What are the common deployment models? How do people typically deploy and operate KOFCA clusters in the real world.
Speaker 2: You have several options, each with its own set of trade offs regarding control, cost and operational effort. The traditional approach is running Kafka on your own hardware in your own data centers. This gives you maximum control over the environment hardware selection and configuration, but it also requires the most significant operational expertise for planning, provisioning, automation, monitoring, patching, upgrades.
Speaker 1: Everything, high control, high responsibility exactly.
Speaker 2: A very common variation is running Kafka in virtualized environments like VMware OpenStack on top of your own hardware or private cloud infrastructure. This adds a layer of virtualization management, but follows similar principles. Key considerations here are distributing brokers, evenly across physical VM hosts to avoid single points of failure, and carefully considering storage performance, preferring local SSDs over shared network attached storage SANDS and NASS if latency and throughput are critical, as network storage can sometimes introduce unpredictable performance.
Speaker 1: Okay, self managed on prem or private cloud? What about public cloud? Kumernetes seems popular these days?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Running Kafka on Kubernetes has become increasingly popular, especially for organizations that already have strong operational teams comfortable with managing stateful workloads on k ads.
Speaker 1: Isn't running something stateful like Cofka on Kubernetes tricky?
Speaker 2: It can be. Managing storage, networking and upgrades requires care. However, the ecosystem has matured significantly. The community standard for this is generally considered to be Strimsy Strimsey dot io. It's a Kubernetes operator specifically designed for deploying and managing Kofka clusters along with components like Coffca, Connect, mirror, Maaker, etc. On Kubernetes automate. It's many complex operational tasks like provisioning, configuration management, rolling upgrade certificate management, making it much more manageable, but it still requires a solid understanding of both Cofka and Kubernetes.
Speaker 1: So Strimsey helps bridge the gap for Kubernetes users. What about just using a fully managed service.
Speaker 2: That's the other major direction, using public cloud managed services platforms like conflent cloud from the original creators of Kafka, Amazon MSK Managed Streaming for Kafka, Avan for Apache Kofka as your HD on sidez Kafka, Google Cloud pub sub. Though different, sometimes used as alternative, they have stracked away most, if not all, of the underlying infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Management sounds appealing. What's the catch?
Speaker 2: The appeal is obvious, faster deployment, reduced operational burden, built in scalability and reliability features. The catch, or rather the trade offs, are typically reduced control over the fine grain configuration, potential, vendor lock in, and cost which can sometimes be higher than self managing a very large scale. Even with a managed service, you still need significant in house Kofka expertise. You need to understand Kofka concepts to design your applications correctly, choose the right service tier, understand the service's limitations like maximum retention periods, throughput cabs, partition limits, troubleshoot application level issues, and manage costs effectively. It's not no OPS, it's different OPS.
Speaker 1: Managed service simplifies infrastructure, but not application design or KOFCA knowledge. Good point. Finally, regardless of how you deploy it, keeping an eye on everything once it's running seems essential. Monitoring and alerting must be crucial for a distributed system like Kafka that's likely underpinning critical applications absolutely crucial.
Speaker 2: While Kofka is designed to be robust and fault tolerant, it's not invulnerable. Things can still go wrong. Brokers can run out of disk space, networks can become saturated, consumers can fall behind, partitions can become under replicated.
Speaker 1: Why is monitoring so important? What are you trying to achieve?
Speaker 2: The primary goals of monitoring are to detect problems quickly, ideally before they cause a major outage or data loss, and provide insights needed for troubleshooting and capacity planning. You want to prevent a small issue on one broker from cascading into a complete cluster failure.
Speaker 1: What are some of the absolute key metrics you should be watching the critical vital signs?
Speaker 2: There are many metrics available via JMX, but some key ones include Under replicated partitions, this metric, exposed by the controller broker, counts the number of partitions that currently don't have their full set of InSync replicas. This value should ideally always be zero. If it's greater than zero for a sustained period, it indicates a problem with replication and reduced fault tolerance. That's a top priority alert.
Speaker 1: Underreplicated equals bad got it.
Speaker 2: Active controller count should be exactly one across the entire cluster. If it's zero or one, the clusters in a bad state, offline petitions count, similar to underreplicated discounts. Partitions whose leader is offline should also be zero. Broker level metrics like leader count and partition count, These should be relatively balanced across all brokers in the cluster. If one broker has vastly more leaders or partitions than others, it indicates a load imbalance. Replication lag metrics like max lag under Kafka dot server replica fectro managers show the maximum lag between a leader and its followers. High lag means followers are falling behind, increasing risks during failover.
Speaker 1: Lag is important for consumers too write definitely.
Speaker 2: Consumer lag, often calculated externally by monitoring tools by comparing the consumer group's committed offset with the latest offset in the partition, is critical. It shows how far behind a consumer group is in processing messages. High or constantly increasing lag indicates the consumers can't keep up. Also, watch basic throughput bites in PERSEC bites OP per SC messages in per sec at the broker and topic level to understand load and detect anomalies. Network and request metrics request Q size should be near zero. Request latent zemes P ninety nine or P nine ninety nine are useful to spot processing bottlenecks and for consumer groups COFFA, dot com consumer dot consumer coordinator. Metrics related to rebalances, repellance, latency, max, rebalanced, total, frequent or long rebalances can indicate instability in the consumer group, example, consumers crashing repeatedly.
Speaker 1: That's a good list of critical signals. Yeah, so, how do you approach alerting based on these metrics without getting drowned in constant notifications, especially in dynamic environments.
Speaker 2: That's the art of good alerting. First, not every metric needs an alert. Focus on metrics that indicate a real actionable problem impacting service health or data integrity, like under replicated partitions. High consumer lag beyond a threshold brokers being down. Second, set meaningful thresholds based on your baseline performance and SLOs. Don't alert if consumer lag spikes for one minute during a brief load burst if it recovers quickly, alert if it stays high for ten minutes. Third, allows systems time for self healing where appropriate. If you're running on Kubernetes, maybe don't page the on call engineer immediately. If for broker pod crashes, Kubernetes might restart it successfully within a minute. Alert only if the problem persists, be on the expected auto recovery time.
Speaker 1: Build in some tolerance for self heal right.
Speaker 2: And finally, always enrich your alerts with context. An alert message should clearly state what is wrong, where, which cluster, which topic, group, the severity, and ideally provide links to relevant dashboards for investigation or even point to specific troubleshooting steps or alert playbooks. An alert for our online retailer that just says metric excess high is useless. An alert saying critical order processing consumer group lag one million messages for fifteen men's on broad COSTCA cluster dashboard, dot link playbook. Dot link is much more effective.
Speaker 1: Context makes alerts actionable, not just noise. Excellent advice. We've covered a huge amount of ground how Kofka works, how it performs, how it integrates, how it's managed and secured. Truly a deep dive. But as with any complex distributed system, things can still go wrong on a larger scale. Let's talk disaster management. How do you prepare for the really bad scenarios like an entire data center going offline unexpectedly.
Speaker 2: Disaster management is absolutely critical for business continuity, especially when Kafka is underpinning core operations. Kaffa's own architecture provides some inherent resilience here. Its asyncreitous nature, for example, helps mitigate temporary network partitions or brief compute failures. If a producer can't reach the broker, it can often buffer messages and retry later. If a consumer gets disconnected, it can usually reconnect and resume from where it left off using its committed offsets. Data isn't typically lost just because of transient connectivity issues.
Speaker 1: Okay, it handles temporary glitches, Well, what about more permanent compute failures like a single broker machine dying completely within a cluster.
Speaker 2: As we discuss with reliability, Kafka is explicitly designed to handle individual compute failures gracefully. Assuming you've configured adequate replication with a replication factor of say three and min dot insnc dot replica set to two, the cluster can tolerate the loss of one broker per partition without any loss of data availability for rights all of yours or reads.
Speaker 1: Automatic leader fail over kicks in exactly.
Speaker 2: The cluster heals itself by electing new leaders from the remaining in sync replicas. This is a core part of Kofka's high availability promise within a single cluster deployment.
Speaker 1: That's good for failures within a deployment, but what about the really big one, a full data center failure. If your entire Kofka cluster is in one DC and that DC goes dark power, loss, network outage, natural disaster, you're offline, right you are?
Speaker 2: If the entire cluster lives in that single DC, that's a major risk for critical applications. So for true disaster recovery across data centers, you need more sophisticated strategies which significantly increase complexity and cost.
Speaker 1: What are the main approaches.
Speaker 2: One approach is to build a stretched cluster.
Speaker 1: Stretched.
Speaker 2: Yes, you deploy single logical Kofka cluster, but the brokers are physically distributed across multiple data centers or availability zones ASS. For example, you might place brokers in three different ass within the same geographic region.
Speaker 1: So it operates as one cluster, just geographically spread out.
Speaker 2: Correct. The coordination mechanism craft or zookeeper also needs to be stretched across these locations. If one entire data center AZ fails, the Kafka cluster can potentially remain operational as long as a majority of coordinators remain online and partitions still have a live leader in one of the surviving locations and enough ISRs meet the men dot InSync dot replicas requirement.
Speaker 1: What are the downsides of stretching?
Speaker 2: The main downside is latency. Network latency between data centers is typically much higher than within a single DC. This increased latency impacts produced request times, especially for AXOL replication lag and failover times. It generally requires dcs that are relatively close geographically with low latency, high bandwidth links between them, and you typically need at least three locations dcs or azs to reliably maintain a quorum for the coordination cluster if one location fails.
Speaker 1: So stretched clusters offer high availability, become with latency trade offs, and require careful network planning. What's the alternative if stretching isn't feasible?
Speaker 2: The other common approach is using multiple independent Kofka clusters and replicating data between them using tools like Kofka's own mirror Maker, specifically mirror Maker two, which is built on the Connect framework.
Speaker 1: Mirroring copying data between clusters exactly.
Speaker 2: You continuously copy messages from topics in one cluster to topics in another cluster, usually located in a different data center or region. You can set various topologies with mirroring, like what a common one is? Active passive. You have your primary active cluster in one DC where producers send data and consumers normally read from mirror Maker then copies this data to a passive cluster in a separate dr disaster recovery data center.
Speaker 1: What's the passive cluster used for?
Speaker 2: It serves as a hot standby. If the active cluster fails, you would need to manually or via automation fail over your producers and consumers to start using the passive cluster instead. This setup is also often used for data migration between clusters or for centralizing data for analysis. Each regional clusters mirroring data to a main headquarters.
Speaker 1: Cluster, so failover is typically a manual step in active passive. What about active active does that avoid manual failover?
Speaker 2: An active active setup involves having two or more independent clusters, both actively serving producer and consumer traffic and configured to mirror data to each other. For example, users in Europe connect to the EU cluster, uses in the US connect to the US cluster, and mirror Maker copies data in both directions between them.
Speaker 1: That sounds complex to manage, especially avoiding infinite loops of mirroring the same message back and forth.
Speaker 2: It is complex. Mirror Maker two handles the looping issue by automatically prefixing mirrored topics with the name of the source cluster. For example, data from topic A in the USE cluster arrives in the UTH cluster as USE cluster dot Topic A. This prevents it from being mirrored back again. The bigger challenge with active active is often on the application side. You need to ensure your consumer services can handle potentially processing the same logical event twice, once from the local cluster, once mirrored from the remote cluster, or implement logic to de duplicate or process only based on origin. Our online retailer would need very careful application designed to avoid, say, double charging a customer shipping an order twice. If using active active, it provides higher availability and potentially lower latency for users connecting to their local cluster, but demands more sophisticated application logic.
Speaker 1: Active Active sounds powerful, but requires careful thought about idempotency or deduplication and consumers any other mirroring topologies.
Speaker 2: Another useful one is hub and spoke. This is great for distributed organizations. Imagine a central hub Kafka cluster at headquarters and multiple smaller spoke clusters at regional offices, factories, or even retail stores like.
Speaker 1: Our supermarket chain example.
Speaker 2: Exactly, espoke cluster might handle local operations and then mirror relevant data like sales summaries up to the central hub for company wide aggregation and analysis. The hub might also mirror down commands or configuration updates to the spokes. This allows spokes to operate somewhat independently. Even if connectivity to the hub is intermittent, and then sync up later. Think cruise ships needing to operate autonomously at sea and then sink data when they reach port.
Speaker 1: Hub and spoke seems well suited for those kinds of distributed environments. So stretched clusters or mirroring with various patterns offer ways to handle large scale disasters. Kafka is clearly incredibly versatile, powerful and resilient when used correctly. But just as important as knowing when and how to use it is knowing when not to use Kaofka. It's not a silver bullet for every data problem, is it. What are some crucial limitations or scenarios where kofka might be the wrong tool for the job.
Speaker 2: That's a vital point to cover. Kaffa is amazing, but applying it inappropriately leads to frustration and poor results. There are several key anti patterns. First, and perhaps most importantly, Kaffa is not a relational database.
Speaker 1: We touched on this with the log versus state idea.
Speaker 2: Right Coffee excels at storing the history of events what happened, It's generally poor at representing and querying the current state of complex entities, especially if that requires complex joints across multiple normalized tables or point lookups based on arbitrary criteria like finding a user by email address when the topic is key by user ID. Don't try to replace your operational databases postgress, MySQL, et cetera with Kofka for storing the canonical queriable state of your application entities. Use databases for that. Messages flowing through Kafka should ideally be denormalized, meaning a single message contains all the relevant information needed for that event, potentially duplicating data found elsewhere, rather than requiring complex lookups for joins later, use relational databases for your service's internal data persistence and complex querying needs.
Speaker 1: So you wouldn't use kofcas, CASEQL or streams API to directly serve a request like find customer excess current shipping address. If that address might have changed many times, You'd query a proper database that stores the current address exactly.
Speaker 2: You might build that database view using data stream from Kofka. But Kafka itself isn't the primary query engine for current state lookups in that way.
Speaker 1: Okay, not a database replacement. What else is it not?
Speaker 2: Second Kafka is not a synchronous communication interface or a request response system, meaning avoid using KOFKA for interactions where a client sends a request and needs an immediate blocking response back on the same connection. Think of a web browser calling a back end API to fetch user profile data that needs a quick HTTP response. Kofka is designed for asynchronous data exchange. Producers send messages and typically don't wait for or even know about the consumers. Consumers process messages at their own pace. Trying to force synchronous request response patterns over Kafka e g. Producer sends topic A, waits for a consumerative process, and send a apply to topic B. Producer reads from topic B is usually complex, brittle, and inefficient compared to using standard RPC, rest APIs or gRPC for synchronous needs.
Speaker 1: So if your online stores checkout page needs that instant payment accepted or payment declined feedback to show the user, you'd use a direct API call to the payment service, not send a command via Kafka and hope for a quick reply message.
Speaker 2: Precisely use the right tool for the job. KOFKA for asynchronous event streams APIs for synchronous interactions.
Speaker 1: Makes sense and what about sending large files? You mentioned the one mebe default limit earlier right.
Speaker 2: Third, KOFKA is not a file exchange platform. It is highly optimized for processing a large volume of relatively small messages, typically under that ONEVAB default and often much smaller kilobytes. These messages are usually structured machine readable data like JSON or AVRO. Trying to send large binary files like multi megabyte PDFs, high resolution images, video files directly inside KOFCA message values is generally a very bad idea. Why specifically it performs poorly It consumes excessive broker disk space, puts heavy load on network bandwidth, increases memory pressure on clients and brokers, and can lead to processing timeouts and instability. Kofka's internal mechanisms aren't designed for efficiently handling huge blobs.
Speaker 1: Like that, So what's the alternative? If you need to signal that a large file is ready for processing, The.
Speaker 2: Standard pattern is to store the large file in a dedicated object storage system like AWSS three, Google Cloud Storage, or an internal file server, and then send a small COFFCA message containing metadata about the file, including a reference or pointer like the S three URL to its location. The consumer reads the small notification message from COFCA and then uses the reference to fetch the large file directly from the storage system for processing. Keep large payloads out of cofka itself.
Speaker 1: Use COFCA for the notification, not the file transfer. Got it. Does it always make sense to implement coofka even for smaller projects or simpler data needs. Is there a complexity threshold?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. Fourth coofka is used for small applications can sometimes be questionable. While kafka brings immense power and scalability, it also introduces operational complexity. Setting up, managing, monitoring, securing and upgrading a COFFCA cluster, even a small one, or even using managed service, which still requires configuration and understanding, involves overhead. For very small scale applications or simple point to point integration needs, the complexity of introducing kofka might outweigh its benefits. Sometimes a simpler solution, like using a message queue built into your application framework, relying on database triggers, or polling using a lightweight cloud queue service, or even just direct API calls might be perfectly sufficient and much easier to manage. Don't introduce kafka just because it's popular, make sure the problem warrants its capabilities. Don't bring a bazooka to a knife fight, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Evaluate the trade offs, don't over engineer makes sense. And finally, the source material has this great warning which you alluded to earlier. If garbage is produced into Kofka, garbage will also come out at the consumer side. What does that truly mean in practice and why is it such an important closing thought?
Speaker 2: It means that ultimately Kafka is not a substitute for good architecture and good data practices upstream. Kaffa itself provides incredible freedom and flex dixability and how you produce and consume data. It faithfully and reliably transports the bite arrays you give it, but it doesn't inherently understand or validate the semantic meaning or business correctness of that data beyond basic scheme of validation. If you use a schema registry, it.
Speaker 3: Just moves the bytes exactly.
Speaker 2: So, if the data quality being produced into Kafka is poor, if producers send malform messages, inconsistent values, incorrect calculations, or just plain wrong information, Kafka will diligently deliver that poor data to all interested consumers. The consumers will then either crash trying to process the garbage, make bad decisions based on the garbage, or have to implement complex, defensive logic to try and clean up the garbage. This highlights the Kafka's power, lized not just in the technology itself, but crucially in the thoughtful architecture, the data modeling, the schema governance, the validation logic and producers, and the overall data quality strategy you build around it. Coffa is a powerful tool, but its effectiveness depends entirely on how well you design and manage the entire gata ecosystem it enables. You won't magically fix up stream data problems.
Speaker 1: Garbage in, garbage out, faithfully delivered at scale. A very sobering and important reminder while you have just completed a very deep dive into apatche Kofka. We went from its fundamental components, messages, topics, partitions, brokers, and its unique nature as a.
Speaker 2: Distributed log all the way through to replication acknowledgments, idempotence for reliability, and.
Speaker 1: How it achieves incredible performance through batching, compressions, zero copy and parallel processing. With partitions.
Speaker 2: We explored its power for integrating systems using KOFCA connect and SMTS, and dove into the world of real time stream processing with Kofka streams, covering state tables, joins, and time concepts.
Speaker 1: And we didn't forget management and security, governance schema registries, authentication, authorization, encryption quotas, deployment models, and crucial monitoring and alerting.
Speaker 2: Plus how to handle disasters using stretched clusters or mirroring patterns like active passes in Hubbin.
Speaker 1: Spoke and critically, we also covered the scenarios where Kaffka might not be the best fit, ensuring you have that balanced and practical understanding.
Speaker 2: It's been quite a journey through the Kafka ecosystem.
Speaker 1: Indeed, the key takeaway for you listening is hopefully clear. Kofka isn't just another messaging system off the shelf. It's a truly foundational technology that, when you strategically and thoughtfully, can genuinely transform how your organization handles data, enabling that shift towards real time operations and insights.
Speaker 2: That transformation potential is real.
Speaker 1: But as we've seen, Kafka empowers you with incredible flexibility, and this brings us back to that final crucial point. Remember this, Kaffka doesn't care about the messages it transports. It's agnostic. If garbage is produced into Kafka, garbage will also come out of the consumer side.
Speaker 2: It faithfully delivers what it's given exactly.
Speaker 1: It's true power lies not just in the impressive technology itself, but in the thoughtful architecture, the rigorous data quality practices, and the careful you bring to it.
Speaker 2: It really underscores the importance of that end to end thinking about your data pipelines.
Speaker 1: So as you reflect on your own data challenges and opportunities, what stands out to you from today's deep dive. What aspects of Kofka's architecture, its capabilities, or even its limitations might you explore further for your own needs or projects. Keep asking those questions, keep digging deeper, because in the world of data, the learning never truly stops