Speaker 1: When Kelly Gene Warner stopped responding to messages in the spring of twenty nineteen, no alarms were raised. Her life had been unstable for years and long absences, while they were nothing new to the people who cared about her. She lived in the margins, She relied on shelters, and sometimes disappeared for weeks. But this time, well, Kelly wasn't simply going quiet again. You see, Kelly was already dead inside a small Michigan apartment, and in the end, it would take just one concerned phone call to police to unravel the gruesome truth of her dismembered body and the man responsible for hiding it. This is the story of Kelly gen Warner.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: Warning. The following bonds material intended more matual audience listener discretion is It's been twenty twenty six for two days. Stranger Things finale has dropped, and I've already consumed enough calories to feed a small village. We're off to quite the start.
Speaker 2: It hasn't been that bad, has it.
Speaker 1: I I've consumed a lot too much. I need to get back into healthy lifestyle living.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I know. I think it's still that little cuspol where a lot of people are probably still off and kind of living the holiday life. And Monday will be the real reality check. I'm I'm going with that.
Speaker 1: I think so too. It's the beginning of the reality check, but the reality check will finally I think land on Monday. I think you're right, but my reality check has come with my stomach being alarmed with everything that's been my reality check. It's screaming at me. I need vegetables and water.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Yeah, we probably actually need to do a vegetable grocery shop, don't we.
Speaker 1: We do, although we do have a lot of Brussels sprouts still in the fridge.
Speaker 2: We do. We both bought a pack of those, thinking we needed them, so.
Speaker 1: We got the double amount, which means, hey, just more veggies. That's not bad.
Speaker 2: Hey, I need to point something out though, that is way better. One year, remember we both bought Bailey's or Carolands I think yeah, and spiced rum yep. So this year we both bought Brussels sprouts, So that is like a move in the right direction.
Speaker 1: That's true because I think it was last year you bought a big bottle of Irish cream and a small bottle of round. I bought a big bottle of rum and a small bottle of Island Irish cream.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now this year, Yeah, we doubled up. We are doing good. Twenty twenty six is our year. Yeah, that's how you do it.
Speaker 2: I know. I think that's a big improvement.
Speaker 1: Definitely, no kidding. Wow, Okay, well that wasn't planned, but I like it. Now.
Speaker 2: Ben's in a good mood.
Speaker 1: Now I'm in a good mood. My stomach's still pissed, but I'm in a good mood. But yeah, hopefully you guys are having a good start to your new year. Just remember, though, no pressure. The new Year's just another day. It's just another year. Do you don't feel pressure from reality and society to change, to be different? Be you, be the healthiest and best you you can be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can have that fresh start literally anytime of the year. So you're not ready, You're not ready.
Speaker 1: There you go, And right now I'm not ready to not be drinking my coffee and switching to water just yet. I need to get this down.
Speaker 2: Okay, you that could be a definite goal for you is to drink more water. Like I gave you a cup of water yesterday. Is that all the water you drink?
Speaker 1: No? Okay, I thought I only had one cup of water yesterday.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 1: Wow, thank you.
Speaker 2: I love you to bits, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 1: Holy crap, all right, I mean I'm a dehydrated individual, but I'm not that dehydrated.
Speaker 2: Okay, geez, well, I know you had other liquids, but was that your only like physical water?
Speaker 1: No? I had more water than that. Okay, more physical water.
Speaker 2: I did a hand that you obviously could not see, but Ben had to reiterate yes.
Speaker 1: Mock well, I think we're getting off the rails. This is not the way to start a new year. I think we should get more into the case of Kelly Gene Warner. This is it's a case I had a little bit of difficulty finding information on, but I did find a couple of good re sources. It is one hell of a case, I'll say that, And it is one hell of a story. There is bodycam footage that shows a lot of this, So a lot of the information that I have comes from that. You know police footage going through much of the initial investigation. Let's put it that way, okay, and questioning that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, and didn't you warn me it's a little bit nasty.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit on the graphic side. For sure. I do tone down some of the graphic details. I don't explored a whole lot, so I wouldn't say it's like more graphic than many of our cases that we cover, okay, but the context is certainly there. So if you let your imagination wander on those details, yeah, it'll certainly be a little bit more. Let's put it that.
Speaker 2: Way, okay.
Speaker 1: So you ready for this, sure? Okay, Well do it? Well? I got the whole like warm up intro here for you, the breakdown of the story as it's going to start. And it was close to midnight on May twenty second, twenty nineteen, in the quiet area of Sturgis, Michigan. This neighborhood was well. It was broken the silence by a knock at the door. It was inside a small apartment on North Maple Street where Wade Allen, then thirty nine years old, was initially asleep. He was woken up and he'd only recently settled into this place after a stretch of homelessness, and by all outward appearance, well it was an ordinary night for him. There was no flashing lights or shouting that alluded to the officers standing in the hallway of his apartment waiting for him to answer the door. And when Wade finally opened up, he looked groggy and very confused, like someone pulled out a sleep too fast. Now the officers were calm, and they weren't there to arrest him. They explained they were looking for a woman named Kelly, or someone maybe who went by the name Kimberly or maybe kJ someone Wade might know from you know, past stints at staying in shelters. Now, at first they questioned him and why it took him so long and to the door. He explained, you know, he was sleeping, he had to get dressed. Sure, it makes sense, but they were trying to find a woman by the name of Kelly Jen Warner. Now, at that moment, nothing about the interaction suggested what was to come. This wasn't framed as a murder investigation. It wasn't even a missing person's case at this point in the traditional sense. It was more of a welfare check prompted by a phone call that hadn't yet been explained to Wade. The officers simply knocked on the door, were greeted, and said that they needed to make sure that Kelly jen Warner wasn't inside his apartment. Now, Wade explained that he hadn't actually seen Kelly in months. Initially, he was confused with the name, and it took him a minute to really register who they were talking about. So last he had heard, he said she was in another town called Kalamazoo. He spoke slowly, almost confused, even almost like he was inconvenienced more than anything else. If the officers wanted to track down, he suggested they'd try the shelters that's where she usually stayed. But standing in the doorway, the officers didn't leave. They asked if they could come inside just to look around, just to verify that she wasn't there. Now, Wade hesitated, he's standing there, humming and high. Well, I don't really know, he said, it was late. He said his place was messy. He didn't like people coming in unannounced. He said maybe tomorrow morning, if you come back, then you can come check. But I mean nothing he said was illegal, but none of it quite fit the situation either. The officers explained him there were two options. Number one, they could detain him and then leave and apply for the search warrant, which wouldn't take long. Or Wade couldn't let them step inside, take a quick look and prove what he claimed that, you know what, she wasn't there, and then they could just be done with it. After a little while, Wade eventually let them step inside, knowing that he had no other option, and with that, the night and the case began to move in a direction that no one could have predicted. To understand why the knock on Wade Alan's door came so late, and why it came so quietly, you first have to understand Kelly Gene Warner now most people called her kJ. She was forty two years old. She was a mother and a grandmother, and for much of her adult life she lived on the margins of society. kJ moved in and out of shelters, bounced between couches and temporary housing, and spent long stretches without a permanent address. She struggled with diabetes and other health issues, and she also dealt with mental health challenges that made stability very hard to maintain. Disappearing for days or even weeks wasn't exactly unusual for her. Friends and family knew this pattern quite well, and after a while she would resurface one again, sometimes even in another town. It wasn't that people didn't care about her, It was just that Kj's life didn't follow the kind of predictable routine that triggers immediate alarm when someone goes no contact for a while. Now that reality mattered more than anyone realized at the time, because there were no frantic early calls to police when she stopped showing up or stopped answering messages. There was no organized searches, no urgent press releases to the outside world. kJ had simply drifted again, the way she had done so many times before. But drifting and disappearing didn't define KG or who she was. She was also a very deeply kind person. People knew her through the shelter system and remembered her as someone who looked out for others who even had less than she did. She'd make snacks, hand out small handmade items, sit with people and listen and I mean really listen. When she had yarn and needles. She would crochet or knit, sometimes even teaching others to give them something to focus on. Despite everything stacked against her, she tried to lift people up where she could. And then there was Wade Allan. Their relationship was rather unstable, on again, off again over several years. At times they lived together, at other times they didn't speak. It didn't look unusual, just another complicated relationship between two people struggling to try and get by. But by April of twenty nineteen, kJ had gone quiet once again. Her last known contact was a message sent to Wade weeks earlier, but because silence had been a part of her life, it didn't immediately stand out as something dangerous. That's how she slipped through those cracks, not because she didn't matter, which is very important, but because the world had gotten so used to not always knowing where she was.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The officers standing in Wade Allen's apartment door that night didn't yet know any of this or what was to come. They were still just looking for a woman who may or may not be inside that apartment, and after talking to Wade at his front door, he eventually decided to let one officer enter his home because he had known this officer before, and he said, you know what I'm familiar with. You find you can come on in and check real quick. But the other guy, he stays outside. A compromise, right, So he led the officer inside to prove kJ was nowhere to be found.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Once inside, the officer began looking around the small apartment. It was lived in and a bit messy in a way that suggested clutter rather than chaos. The officer moved carefully, shining a flashlight wherever he looked, even though it was a lit area. He was following Wade as he guided him through the space, calling out kj's name and narrating as he went to prove that she wasn't there. He pointed out the kitchen, utility area, and living space sleeping space where the bad bed set against the wall. He's hat does, his arms spread out, kind of spinning around like see she's nowhere, She's gone. I don't know where she is. Scattered belongings, filled rooms, clothes, bags, odds and ends. It didn't seem out of place for someone who had recently been without stable housing themselves. Now. Wade kept talking this entire time, explaining things before anyone asked, trying to stay ahead of the moment, saying things like about the clutter or the chaos. And then there was a suitcase. It sat there quietly near the bed. Wade spoke up before police could even ask about it, and he acknowledged that yes, it did in fact belong to kJ, from when she actually stayed with them before. Now this detail stuck with one of the officers, the one that was actually in the search. kJ being a person who did not have permanent housing of her own, likely lived out of a suitcase, so if she was not staying there currently and traveling, while it was unusual that suitcase didn't go with her, it was strange, sure, but she didn't seem to be anywhere in the apartment. Wade said she wasn't here, and it looked like he was right. The officer was preparing himself to leave the apartment, satisfied in the search, but then something caught his eye. A large ice cooler, the kind meant for going camping and storing food and ice, was sitting in the corner of the room. It was big and not the kind people just casually keep available, and when asked about it, Wade brushed it off, saying, oh, yeah, it's just for summer use, you know, parties or keeping things cold, something to look forward to when the weather turns warmer. Still, something had shifted. Wade's tone changed when the attention lingered on that cooler. He became guarded. He hesitated when he spoke. He tried redirecting the officer, you know, moving him through the apartment faster, and repeating, well, Kj's nowhere here to be found. He hasn't been for months. I don't know where she is. It was in that moment that the tension in the room tightened, because the officer asked Wade again, what's with that cooler? Can you open it for me? Can you show me what's inside? He was following basic process and protocol with this question, trying to rule out the possibility that Kelly Jane Warner was inside the apartment, injured or hiding or simply unwilling to come forward. The officer couldn't look inside it himself either. He didn't have a warrant at the time, so he needed Wade to allow it to be open, to initiate it, to give permission, or do it himself.
Speaker 2: Okay, So he can't just touch or move things around, because I was just curious to why he didn't open the suitcase just double check in there.
Speaker 1: No, he is simply he was given permission to enter, given permission to see she's not around, and if he's to initiate a search, he needs permission.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay. So he's just able to do what weight allows him to do.
Speaker 1: Correct. So if Wade says, no, you have to leave my apartment now, No you can't look in there, No you can't search that, the officer has to abide, okay. And if they do that, of course, you know, things may escalate beyond that, which we'll get into. So if Wade himself could open up that cooler to show that it was in fact empty, well the welfare check it would likely have just ended right there. However, Wade refused to open the cooler. He can you continue to say that the cooler was for later in the summer. He didn't want it to be opened, and repeated that kJ wasn't there and hadn't been for a long time. He stumbled over his words. He kind of hummed and hawed and I don't know, I just don't want it to be open. That sort of kind of attitude, almost like when you questioned a child, did you do your homework? And they're trying to hide it, thus stuttering, the pausing.
Speaker 2: That's really awkward, and that would only make you know this officer want it opened.
Speaker 1: More exactly so, when the officer pressed, he continued to try and steer elsewhere, suggesting they check anywhere else, and the officer asked, well, what about the fridge, same sort of thing. He's just like, well, well, sure you can check there if you want, but he still did not let the cooler be checked. As the exchange went on, Wade's explanations began to contradict themselves, saying there's no reason to open the cooler, but also he was very deeply concerned about it being opened. He stressed his privacy while allowing the officer to stand inside his home. He wanted the encounter to end right then and there, but only on his terms, and that was the breaking point. The officer explained their next step if Wade wouldn't allow them to look inside the cooler voluntarily, well, they needed to apply for a search warrant because they needed to look inside, and with that, Wade was then detained. He was placed in handcuffs and placed in a patrol car. As he was let outside and placed in the back of that police cruiser, his demeanor shifted once again. He began to say he was panicking, and he said that he was claustrophobic. In the back of the vehicle, he asked to sit in certain positions and tried to negotiate, and then finally, after the door was finally closed on him and he was in the back seat alone, he was shouting out the window and suggested that he could return inside and let the officers look in the cooler without them applying for the warrant.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it makes sense either way, they're gonna get in there exactly.
Speaker 1: So the officers agreed, if he's going to voluntarily show them what's inside the cooler or voluntarily let them look themselves, they will walk back inside. So that's what they did. They walked him inside for one final look to look in that cooler and other areas still that hadn't been checked. They returned to the living space and Wade stood back and gave express permission for the officers to open that cooler. An officer stepped forward opened the lid just a bit, just enough to peek inside. They were terrified of what they were potentially about to see.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, no shit, I would not want to open that.
Speaker 1: And as the lid creaked open just enough for the flashlight to shine in, the tone of the investigation shifted. Immediately whatever hope remained that this was a misunderstanding was completely gone. Wade Allen was placed not under detention. Now not being detained, he was placed under arrest on the spot, and a crime scene unit was called in. Once the crime scene unit arrived, the apartment was photographed and documented, and when the lid of the cooler was finally about to be fully opened, officers braced themselves for the worst. They warned each other that, you know what, what they were about to see, they wouldn't be able to unsee it. Yeah, They reassured each other that they were ready, and they opened the lid. Inside they found the badly decomposed remains of an adult woman who was nude, had her legs cut off above the knees, laying deceased. It was Kelly Jene Warner and she'd been dismembered to fit inside this cooler.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, okay, okay, A.
Speaker 1: Second smaller cooler was soon located in the apartment as well, and it contained a black garbage bag which had the remaining dismembered legs inside. As they worked through the apartment, investigators documented other findings as well. They found evidence of blood splatter on walls, rubber gloves, cords, bags, personal belongings. There was a white ribbon strewn on the ground, you know, just general things and mess and things that appeared to even belong to kJ. While the scene was being processed, Wade was already being booked at the police station, and once sitting down across from investigators in interrogation, Wade Allen didn't present himself as a killer. He didn't even frame the situation as something violent. Instead, he positioned himself as a caretaker who had been overwhelmed by circumstances that he did not know how to handle. He spoke about Kelly Jene Warner's health. First, he emphasized her diabetes, describing her as hypoglycemic and very vulnerable, someone who needed care monitoring of her blood sugar. According to him, this medical condition explained everything that followed. Wade told investigators that weeks earlier, kJ had collapsed after a fall. In one version of the story, she fell while making cereal. In another, she fell in the bathroom, and that's the one he told most. The cereal making one came later. Either way. He said she lost consciousness for several minutes, five to ten minutes by his estimate, and that afterwards she was not the same. Her speech was off, her coordination it was poor, and she struggled with basic tasks. He described trying to take care of her on his own. He said he fed her when he could, helped her drink water, and tried to keep an eye on her because she wasn't steady on her feet. Now, he claimed he didn't call for medical help because he wasn't sure she could move and because he thought he could manage the situation himself.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was my question, and that answer does not make any sense.
Speaker 1: That is a very big question that comes up throughout this story is why didn't you call for help?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because she needed help, she did. If this is actually what happened exactly.
Speaker 1: You can't just sit here and say, oh, well, you know, I'll take care of it myself. You're not a doctor. No, you don't have any medical training. Even if you know she has diabetes. You don't know other things that can be going on, any other symptoms or something you're not trained to diagnose, you're not trained to see. You don't know diabetes. Even if you know it, you can't help.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, it sounds like she would need to be.
Speaker 1: In the hospital exactly. But he's like, no, I got this okay, at least so he claimed, And then he introduced the bathtub. Wade told police that at some point he placed kJ in the tub so she could bathe safely while lying down rather than standing up. He said he checked on her before going to sleep and that she was still breathing, but when he woke up later, he claimed she wasn't alive anymore. Now, in questioning, he kind of hummed and hawed about the details about this. They asked, what was her head above water? Underwater? Was the water running? Was it off? And all these details, and he's like, uh, it's almost like he's trying to recall a dream, well or.
Speaker 2: He's trying to make up a damn story.
Speaker 1: Exactly now, he said, after questioning each of these details, while her head was below water and when he went to bed the water was running, but when he woke up, the water was off, so he's hummed, well, she must have turned the water off before her head slipped under the water. These are the things he's catching up to the story as it's developing, trying to explain it away. But every time he tried, it seemed to make it worse. Even as he acknowledged that she was in fact dead, Wade continued to avoid the obvious question. If he had truly found her deceased in the bathtub, why did he not call nine one one right then and there. Why hadn't he contacted family or a hospital, or a doctor or anyone at all. And when investigators pressed him on that point, his answers were no different than the rest of his vague story and clear fabrications. Honestly, he said he panicked. He said he didn't know what to do. He said he was afraid anything he said would be taken the wrong way. He would tell police the real story and they would not believe it, They would accuse him of wrongdoings. Instead. As Wade spoke, investigators listened very carefully, even though it was all clearly bullshit. The timeline felt off, the medical explanations didn't line up, clearly, and most importantly, the version of events he was offering didn't explain the scene they had just walked into. Still, detectives didn't challenge him really at all, not yet. They let him talk. They asked questions and let him explain things now. While Wade was still talking inside the interrogation room, detectives were already widening the investigation to the circle of people around him. One of the first people that they spoke to was the woman who lived next door, Sherry White. She had known Wade casually. They weren't close friends or anything, but they were familiar enough to, you know, know each other and share small, ordinary moments, something you know, that was neighborly. Sometimes they'd come over and watch TV with each other or talk in passing, that sort of stuff. But when investigators asked about Kelly gen Warner, Sherry's answers immediately complicated the story that Wade was claiming to be true. She remembered Wade mentioning that kJ had fallen, but not the way that he described police. According to Sherry, Wade said that the fall happened in the bathroom, not the kitchen. He told her that he thought kJ might actually even have a skull fracture. Now, Sherry had been very alarmed by this claim, and she told him bluntly that if kJ had hit her head like this and that hard, she needed to go to the emergency room. But the response that he told Sherry was that he was quote taking care of it. That alone raised a lot of concern, but it wasn't the only thing she shared. Sherry told detectives that during one conversation, completely unprompted, mind you, Wade admitted that he hit women. He didn't say it defensively or in anger or anything like that. He said it quite casually, almost like he was confessing a bad habit. When Sherry reacted with shock and told him that he can go for jail for that. That's not right, that's bad. Don't do that, Wade replied that he knew, and then he was quote working on it.
Speaker 2: Oh that is I couldn't imagine somewhat admitting that to me, especially because you were probably she was probably alone with him as he was admitting this to her.
Speaker 1: Exactly Now, this comment, like you said, like she's probably alone. It's very unsettling, and it unsettled her enough she began keeping her distance from him as best she could now. Other details followed too. Sherry described moments when Wade's behavior felt controlling and off. She recalled, in fact, an interaction where she knocked on his door. She was going to ask if he had any coffee that morning, and kJ answered the door to the apartment. The door kind of cracked open. She was kind of hiding behind the door a little bit, just peeking her head out, but kJ was completely nude, and she said that she would talk to Wade real quick and before closing the door. And soon Wade came over knocking on Sherry's door with coffee, and he let Shurey know that kJ crossed a line by answering the door like that. He said that he would have to quote have to get the belt out quote Hugh, framing it as punishment for what she had done.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, was he kind of saying I almost wonder if he was saying that jokingly, But still that's not right at all.
Speaker 1: It was not jokingly.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, dang.
Speaker 1: Now, by the time investigators finished speaking with Sherry, they were already asking a new question, who was it who had called police in the first place in regards to Kj's welfare. If they're expanding questioning to the circle surrounding him, Well, who was it that called this in? Well, the original tip had come in anonymously, but detectives easily trace the call back to a man by the name of Steve Ryan Russ. He was a longtime friend of Wade Allen. When officers reached out to him, Steve explained that Wade had come to him weeks earlier, needing to talk. At first, Wade framed the situation the same way he would later with police. Something that happened to Kelly Gene Warner, something that happened unexpectedly, something he didn't know how to handle. But as the conversation went on, the reality became impossible to ignore. Because Wade then told him that kJ was dead, not missing, not hurt, dead, He admitted that he hadn't reported it. Instead, he told Steve that he had kept her body in the bathtub for a period of time. Then he asked Steve if you could help him move and get rid of Kj's body, to which Steve absolutely refused. He was horrified by this whole situation.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that would be an easy hell no, yeah.
Speaker 1: He told investigators that he was torn in those moments. Wade was one of his closest friends, and there was a part of him that wanted to believe that there was some kind of explanation for what had happened, an accident that spiraled out of control. But the more Wade talked, the worse it sounded. He asked Stephen if he wanted to see the body in fact, like it was something to display or even show off. Now, Steve flatly said no. He didn't want to be anywhere near it, and he didn't want to be a part of what was happening either. Still, he did not call police right away. That delay weighed on him heavily in the following days. He later explained that his family had grown increasingly worried about Wade's behavior, that they were frightened enough that they couldn't sleep, And Steve realized that, you know, keeping the secret wasn't protecting anyone, and it was only allowing something deeply wrong to be continuing to be unchecked in the world. So that's when he made the call the police. Now, with Steve's account on the table, investigators began reconstructing the days and weeks between Kelly, Jene Warner's death and the night police arrived at the apartment. This was the part of the story that refuses used to make sense, no matter how many times it was examined. Now, with Steve's account on the table, investigators began reconstructing the days and weeks between Kelli Jeen Warner's death and the night police arrived at the apartment. This was the part of the story that refused to make sense, no matter how many times it was examined. According to Wade Allen, once he realized kJ was dead, he didn't know what to do, he said, panic set in. He claimed, fear took over, and rather than calling for help, he focused on the body itself. He told investigators, he began keeping her cold, which was a way to preserve her, something he said he picked up from watching crime shows, and I believe he's likely referring to slowing down decomposition. So he ran cold water over her in the bathtub. But when that wasn't enough, he also began to notice the blood pooling on the underside of her skin. On the backside. He went and bought a large cooler at that moment, realizing he needed to do something different. Days pass and During that time, Wade continued living in the apartment. He slept there, he watched TV, and he came and went living his life. In fact, at least one person even visited during this time. Someone even sat down inside the room on top of the cooler, unaware of what was actually contained inside.
Speaker 2: Oh, I hate that. That is really really, really really messed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the smell began to slowly seep out from inside of this cooler as well, faint at first, then stronger. Some assumed it was plumbing. Others thought maybe it was an animal that had died inside the walls, but no one imagined the truth that a body remained there the entire time. Wade told police that from the beginning, as the days went on, he checked on kJ as she's laying in the bathtub. For example, he spoke to her even though he knew she was gone, ribed watching the changes happening, noticing stiffness, then the stiffening fading. His explanations drifted between detachment and discomfort, as if he were describing something that happened to someone and trying to put it into concerned words that people were supposed to feel, rather than what he actually felt like. He was putting on a show. As investigators continued piecing together what happened inside the apartment, attention turned to how the body had been separated into pieces. We know what happened, but how well. The answer didn't come from forensic evidence alone. It came from people who had interacted with him during the weeks after Kelly Jene Warner was already dead too. One of those people was his neighbor Sherry. She told detectives that at some point after Kj's supposed fall, Wade came over and asked to borrow a saw. Now on its own, the request was ordinary people borrow tools from neighbors all the time. What made it on sting was his explanation, though, because he told her he needed to cut his mattress in half. Okay, and thankfully for Sherry, she didn't have a saw to lend, and the conversation ended there. But the odd excuse stuck with her and she remembered that conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh man, and meanwhile, he was just needing this to cut limbs off. Yeah, fit something into something exactly.
Speaker 1: Investigators later learned that Wade didn't drop the idea from here, though. Instead he went out and bought a reciprocating saw himself. Now, a reciprocating saw is an electrical saw. You put like a hacksaw blade on it, and it goes back and forth automatically when she pulled the trigger and during his interviews, Wade Allen eventually admitted that when he realized Kj's body wasn't going to fit inside this single cooler, he decided dismemberment was the only option. He talked about it like it was a logistical problem rather than a moral one. He talked about the stiffness, about the weight of the body and not being able to her otherwise. He talked about how he began cutting her legs off below the knee and realizing that she wasn't fitting in the cooler like that, so he had to make cuts again, this time above the knee to make her fit, and then her legs were placed in a smaller cooler. Once he was done, Wade no longer wanted the saw, and rather than dispose of it quietly, he reached out to someone he knew from the shelter system and proposed a trade. Long story short, he traded the saw for a DVD player.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is just getting more and more messed up because it's always so interesting to me the thought process and how it just in this case is just continuing on spiraling really instead of you know, at one point, could you not have a normal thought being like this is totally wrong? What the hell am I doing here?
Speaker 1: Well, I think you nailed it right there saying that you're interested in the thought process. I think it's more the lack of thought process.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's exactly, because.
Speaker 1: If you had a thought process, you would realize what am I doing here? What's the reality of what I should be doing?
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, because I can understand, you know, a little bit of spiraling, But the more and more steps that come about after it's like, at one point, would you not realize, like what am I doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Especially cutting the legs off? And then oh shit, I didn't do him enough. Let's go further up, like what the actual like absolute shit? What's I can't even speak because it just I just couldn't fathom understandable.
Speaker 1: It's a fucked up situation. But yet he keeps going further and further.
Speaker 2: And then now incriminating someone with the.
Speaker 1: Saw, well not necessarily.
Speaker 2: I mean the person getting the saw is like sweet but like has no idea what the hell it was doing.
Speaker 1: But at the very least that's preserving the evidence, right, someone has a weapon from the crime scene now, and police did later track down this saw. The man who received it later describe Weight as very oddly insistent about getting rid of it. Okay, So they were able to find the saw, which helps investigation rather than just you know, throw it in the garbage.
Speaker 2: I guess now.
Speaker 1: Detectives continued reaching out to people from Wade's past to see what else they could find, former partners, acquaintances, anyone who might help explain the dynamic of his relationship with Kelly Gene Warner. What they heard was troubling but very consistent. Wade had a history of volatile relationships. Control issues surfaced again and again, Arguments escalated quite quickly, and physical discipline, framed by Wade as punishment, wasn't a one off admission. It was part of a pattern. The use of a belt came up more than once two which is exactly why I know he wasn't joking when he mentioned it earlier. In Wade's own words, using it was preferable to using his hands. He even admitted this to police There is footage of him talking about I used a belt because then I wouldn't use my hands. Wow, He's like, I know it's not as good or whatever, but it's like to him, this distinction, it seemed very important, like that distinction made him not a monster. Because he's using a tool instead of physically physically with his own hands. There's a barrier, there's a separation in his mind.
Speaker 2: I guess so he very much so is an abuser. This wasn't just like a one time his accident kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Very much so an abuser. I don't really talk about this and what I've wrote down, but I think here's a good time to mention it. Police believed that kJ was made to walk around the apartment nude, which is why she answered the door that day in the nude and then was potentially punished for it because of that controlling behavior.
Speaker 2: So she wasn't so she was following his directions of walking around nude, but that I guess he didn't like that she answered the door while doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's he's very controlling, right, So she does anything that he doesn't approve of, he's going to punish her. And now you also have to remember, you have a person who lives in the margins of life, who lives in shelters, and now she has an opportunity to live in an apartment with a partner. H she'll do a lot to probably try and stay there, which is so sad. It is so he's taking massive advantage of this individual who's, like I said, on the margins of life now. Witnesses also described behavior that felt increasingly restrictive as time went on, wide monitored movements, he decided what was acceptable. When he felt disrespected or betrayed, he reacted with control rather than communication. Just like that incident with her answering the door, the relationship with kJ, which he had tried to present as mutually dependent and loving, began to look a lot different. The idea that kJ had simply fallen and never recovered became increasingly difficult to accept. To falls don't explain weeks of isolation, They don't explain punishment, and they certainly don't explain why someone would go to such lengths to control what others saw, herd or knew. When Kj's remains were finally examined, investigators were hoping for clarity After weeks of concealment and decomposition. The autopsy was the one place they thought the timeline might stop shifting and settle into something solid. Instead, it did something else. The medical examiner was able to determine that Kj's death was indeed a homicide, not an accident, but was unable to determine the precise mechanism that caused it. The condition of her body made that almost impossible. Time exposure and the extent of her injuries had erased the clean forensic answers they were looking for. What the autopsy could show, though, was just as important. There were multiple areas of bruising, including injuries to her chin, neck, and ear, most notably the hyoid bone. Now, this is located at the base of the tongue, and it was fractured, and it is rarely broken except in cases involving significant force directly to the neck. So while not conclusive on its own, that finding strongly supported the possibility of strangulation, and her death was not consistent with a simple fall, a medical episode, or a sudden accident. After questioning, Wade was taken into custody, official custody, not just you know, placed under arrest. In questioning and investigators from here expected him to retreat inwards. I mean, most people do, they lawyer up, they go quiet, and they wait, that sort of thing. But Wade, however, he did the opposite. Inside Saint Joseph County Jail, Wade Allen began talking, you know, conversations with other inmates, the kind that happened when people are trying to establish themselves in an unfamiliar environment. But those conversations quickly took a very dark turn. Wade talked about what he had done, and he didn't just hint at what had happened to kJ He described it in graphic detail, not once, but repeatedly to several other inmates.
Speaker 2: Honestly, that's not surprising because there's been times where he's talked about it with friends too, and it almost seems like he's proud of this, or like with his one friend, his really good friend, he wanted to show off the body.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, so I think it's not necessarily being proud of it per se, but I think it's more of a use of manipulating. He likes to have control and he doesn't like when people do things he doesn't approve of. So I think, my guess, my best guess is he's doing these things to try and have control over people. I did this to someone, you better do what I say, or you know, like there's that underlying tone of you could be next sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So in jail he's almost wanting to look a little bit like a tough guy.
Speaker 1: That's my best guess. I think he's trying to more establish himself like I did this, you know, like.
Speaker 2: I'm capable of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is why I'm here. I'm capable of it. That sort of attitude. Again, I don't know, that's my best guess. Now. Multiple inmates were interviewed separately, and separately is very important, and they reported that Wade told them that he had strangled kJ with a white ribbon. A white ribbon, in fact, that I mentioned, was found inside his apartment. He spoke about watching the clock as he squeezed the life out of her. He watched five minutes pass by. Then afterwards, when she was dead, not breathing, he described reviving her with CPR briefly before continuing to do it again, as if the first time wasn't enough.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I don't feel like I've ever heard anything so terrible.
Speaker 1: He killed her, then revived her to kill her again.
Speaker 2: Fully, frig that is messed up.
Speaker 1: Others recalled him framing the violence as punishment tied to accusations that he had betrayed him in some weird way. Others even told about how Wade had used Kj's body for sex after she was dead. Now, police footage shows one inmate extremely uncomfortable in this situation and even on the edge of tears, explaining that Wade told him he would warm up her body in bath water and then eventually that the stiffness in her jaw faded so he was able to take advantage of that.
Speaker 2: What okay, I am freaking uncomfortable listening to this as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was uncomfortable researching this. And now these weren't vague boasts or you know, exaggerations. The detail matched pieces of the evidence investigators had already had, and inmates were all very consistent with their stories. Several of these inmates told police they were disturbed how calmly Wade spoke about what he'd done. There was no panic in his voice, no visible guilt. He didn't describe the acts as mistakes. He was kind of like that. I don't know boasting, but that, like I said that, there was that demeanor about him where he's telling them flat out, you know what I mean. More than one inmate said they were afraid to sleep in the same unit as him. Some took turns staying awake at night, worried he might hurt someone else.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I would be afraid too. This guy has some serious issues.
Speaker 1: Because when these accounts were finally reported to authorities, detectives didn't immediately act with evidence with these as evidence, sort of say, because jail house informants, they're always treated very cautiously. You don't know what their intentions are, whether it's true, whether it's false. But as the statements piled up and the patterns were emerging, it was impossible to ignore. The inmates didn't know each other very well, not everyone that spoke, and they had nothing to gain. Their stories aligned too closely to be coincidence. The moment Wade Alan actually realized, though, that the inmates around him had talked and the truth had reached law enforcement, the men he had confided in were no longer just fellow inmates. In his mind, they had crossed a line and as he had done before, when he felt challenged or exposed, Wade responded with control and punishment. In October of twenty twenty, while housed in Saint Joseph County jail, Wade was rehoused with one of the inmates who had actually provided some information to authorities, and what followed was an assault. The victim later told the court that the act was not consensual. He described it as a deliberate attack meant to intimidate and retaliate an unmistakable message that was speaking out of consequence. Surveillance footage, jail records, and medical document documentation supported his account and this incident it reinforced everything that we had come to understand about Wade's behavior to this point. When he believed someone had betrayed him for whatever reason, he acted when he felt control was slipping away, he tried to take it back by force. Now, the assault led to an additional charge of attempted third degree criminal sex conduct, which we don't know all the details, but that means there was an attempt at sexual penetration with either a body part or an object.
Speaker 2: Shit. Okay, I know that these people are like inmates and shit, but if officers or investigators or whatever, or trying to get information from these people. They should also be like protecting them too, to a degree they should be. And that is definitely a slip in the system. Why he was housed in the same acts, Like, how the shit does that end up happening?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no answer for you, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: I mean it does in a way. It shows like how much more of a monster this Wade guy is. So so that could maybe be help in his sentencing, her trial or whatever in him, you know.
Speaker 1: Getting for sure, forgetting.
Speaker 2: The life or whatever this guy deserves.
Speaker 1: For confirming the charges getting convict did and the sentencing to follow. You're right, it certainly helps prosecutors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that inmate did not that that should not have happened.
Speaker 1: No, it should not have. Now, as the case against Wade, Allen moved towards trial, the whole murder thing, well, it nearly collapsed. But not because of lack of evidence, though, but because of how that evidence was discovered. Wade's defense team focused on the moment police first entered his apartment and opened the cooler without a warrant. You see, they argued that the search violated his constitutional rights, and that everything found afterwards, the body, the statements of physical evidence should be suppressed in court.
Speaker 2: Ah, okay, I don't agree with that, Like, fuck his rights. Really, he just killed someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at that point, fuck his rights. One. If that argument that succeeded, though, the prosecution's case would be moot before it ever reached a jury. For months the case legal, limbo Wade underwent psychiatric evaluation to determine whether he was even competent to stand trial. Appeals were filed, hearings were delayed, and while the remain while he remained in custody, while the clock just kept ticking, and the question looming over everything was whether the most critical evidence in the case would ever be allowed in court now. Thankfully, the prosecution countered with a simple but powerful argument inevitability. They argued that even if the initial look inside the cooler had crossed a legal line, which it didn't because he wasn't coerced and he gave express permission, police already had enough information to obtain a search warrant and were in progress of doing so when he offered to step forward and let them look. The anonymous tip waves behavior has refusal to open the cooler the presence of kJ suitcase. All of it pointed to the same conclusion. A warrant would have been issued and the body would have been found regardless.
Speaker 2: Okay, but still he gave them permission.
Speaker 1: He did. But the defense is saying he was He might have given permission, but it was under coercion, under stress, that sort of stuff. That's their defense to say.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I feel about that. That's frustrating.
Speaker 1: It very much so is And the fact that that's a defense, in my mind is ridiculous. Yeah, he had a dead body in his home and you're going to argue semantics over whether it should have been found or not. Yeah, to Shae, it's fucking ridiculous. So in November of twenty twenty one, the case reached the Michigan Court of Appeals and the ruling was decisive. The court agreed with prosecutors, finding that the discovery of Kj's remains was in fact inevitable. With that ruling, the case snapped back into place. The evidence would stand, and by early twenty twenty three, the prosecution was preparing to present a detailed and deeply disturbing case. The trial date was set, jury selection was approaching, and then at the last possible moment, everything changed. On the eve of jury selection in January twenty twenty three, after years of delays, evaluations, and legal maneuvering, Wade Allen made a quiet but consequential decision. He entered a plea of no contest, meaning he accepts punishment for the crime without admitting guilt. By pleading no contest, Wade avoided a public reckoning. The plea meant he did not formally admit that guilt, but it also did not dispute the facts as presented by the state. Legally, it allowed the court to treat the case as a conviction without requiring a trial.
Speaker 2: Oh, this seems like this would be better.
Speaker 1: For him, then it would be basically, yes, he still gets the same result, but there's not that closure in the end. Practically, it spared Wade from having to sit through days or weeks of testimony detailing what investigators believed he had done to Kelly Gene Warner, which is largely why this story has a lot of loose facts and second hand telling regarding of the details. It also spared Kj's family from having to listen to every single detail of her final weeks laid out in open court, and during the brief plea hearing, Wade spoke very little, but when he did while his words circle back to the same themes that he had relied on from the very beginning. He expressed regrets but not responsibility, and he framed the situation as something that had happened around him rather than something he had caused. He mentioned Kj's health issues again. He said he wished he had taken better care of her, and he continued to try and act and speak in ways that he thought people should be in the situation. He always did that he was trying to gauge reactions and feed off that to tell what to say and how to move next. He was honestly terrible at betraying emotions and feelings for what he had done. He was simply trying to borrow them instead, trying to make his answer something that they want to hear. And yet this whole time he just got worse and worse at it. Still, what he did not do was explain why he never called for help, why her body was hidden for weeks, and why he dismembered her and stored her remains in a cooler Prosecutors meanwhile stated plainly that had the case gone to trial, they were prepared to present evidence of long standing abuse, escalating control, and deliberate acts meant to conceal a homicide. But ultimately years of investigation came to an abrupt end because there would be no jury verdict, no dramatic closing arguments, or public weighing of guilt. Instead, the case moved directly to sentencing in early twenty twenty three, nearly four years after police first stood in the doorway on North Maple Street. Here, the court also addressed what happened after Wade's arrest and how he assaulted one of those in mates who spoke against him. Prosecutors emphasized that even in custody, Wade continued to use violence as punishment and control. When it was his turn to speak, Wade cried. He said he never wanted Kelly to die, and continued the same story employ he had every other time before. He did apologize to her family and asked for forgiveness. Whether it was real or not, I don't know, and I doubt, but what he did not do was accept responsibility for causing her death. The judge was unmoved and pointed out that if Wade was speaking the truth, then he had every opportunity to seek medical help, to call for emergency services, or to report Kelly's death when it occurred, but instead he chose not to, and he chose to dismember her remains instead. Wade was sentenced to thirty nine to sixty years in prison for second degree homicide, with additional consecutive time from a mutilation of a dead body, and for the jail health sexual assault as well. He was also ordered to pay restitutions for Kelly's burial expenses, cover court costs and fines, and register for life as a sex offender. It was in effect a life sentence. By the time the court proceedings ended, Kelly gen Warner's name kJ had been repeated countless times in reports, filings, and testimonies, but in many of those spaces she existed only as evidence, a body, a timeline, and a victim. But she deserved so much more than that. Kelly Gene Warner, known as most simply as kJ, lived a very complicated life, but not an empty one. She moved through shelters and temporary housing, sometimes drifting out of touch with family and friends, not because she didn't care, but because instability had simply become normal. People who knew her described her as warm and generous in small and quiet ways. She shared what little she had. She checked in on others who were struggling. She made snacks for people in the homeless community. She crocheted and knitted, often even teaching others just to simply give them something steady to focus on. She was a mother, she was a grandmother, and her life did not fit neatly into typical societal systems. What made her vulnerable in ways that she did not deserve is exactly that, and it also made it easier for her to disappear and go unnoticed at first, something that weighed heavily on those who loved her once the truth finally came out. Wade Alan exploited that in the end, much of the public's attention focused on the brutality of the crime, on the shock value of what investigators found in on the disturbing things Wade later said and did. But those details, as horrifying as they are, do not define Kj's life. The only mark its end. What matters more is that she was real, She mattered, She was loved, and even when life made that hard to see from the outside, she was a person. Stories like this should not belong to monsters like Wade Allen. They belong to the women and to the victims whose lives are reduced to evidence, and to the people who love them. Kelly gen Warner, like all victims, should be remembered not for what was done to her, but for who she was before it ever happened. Her story may end here, but remembering her means refusing to let those monsters take over even in the aftermath, and never letting lives like her fade quietly into the margins ever again. And that's the story of Kelly Gene Warner.
Speaker 2: Hmm, not just so sad, it is. I love people like her that are just like they don't have much, but they are, but they're still just so willing to be kind And it's like they almost live their life by how kind they can be to others even though they are struggling themselves. So that is like a true amazing person.
Speaker 1: True amazing person for sure. I honestly, it's funny when you look at society and people. It's not always this way, but there is a reoccurring theme those who seem to not have much themselves always seem to be more willing to give to.
Speaker 2: Others, which is kind of weird. I guess it's just because they know what it feels like, maybe maybe, and then people who have more are so I don't know, far from knowing what it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I mean Wade was the exception to this rule. He lived in housings and things like that as well, in the societal margins as well too, but instead he took He was the exact opposite of Kelly or kJ He was that monster, that exception to the rule. And yeah, I can't believe people like that exist, whether they have lots or not.
Speaker 2: I watched this true crime show actually over the holidays, and there was someone in there that they were made themselves available to hire to basically be an accessory to kill someone, and they be like a hit man kind of, but they didn't actually do the killing. They just were part of making the operation a success, I guess, gotcha. And they did it for five hundred bucks, geez. And the officer was just like, how on earth like you did that for five hundred dollars and they were basically just like, well, have you ever been so poor that you needed five hundred bucks that much, and it was just like, holy shit. It was a little bit eye opening that like to some people, I guess that's like a lot of money and they would do anything for that. And then also kind of eye opening that you know, the officer had no idea someone would need to do something like that for five hundred bucks. Not saying that's right in any way it's terrible, but it's just this like kind of just showing a little bit like this divide, you know, But I.
Speaker 1: Don't care how poor or how rich you are. No dollar amount should ever correlate to someone's life. No, absolutely, not five billion dollars. I'm not going to help murder someone, Like what the hell? No, I understand, like it's their life or mind sort of thing. But there's other things you can do for money. There's other things, there's other ways, there's systems out there. I mean, I know they're not perfect, but there's things out there to help people. And uh, I don't know. I could go on for hours, I know, and unfortunately, many of my my arguments could even be moved because people what the experience and what is supposed to be available can be so different too. I don't understand every situation, but the bottom line is, no fucking dollar amount should correlate to a human life period.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: And that goes for all levels too, government levels, you know, rich people, poor people. I don't care, but we live in a fucked up world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could say that again, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm angry. I'm angry over what you were just talking about this story.
Speaker 2: Angry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm angry.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean, yeah, it's it's really messed up when you sit back and think about, like, you know, these cases on surface level are really sad and horrific and should not be happening and stuff, But then when you actually really deeply think about them too, it's just like maddening.
Speaker 1: It is so anyway, on that note, happy twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: But I am glad that you shared her story because it did need to be shared and she did not deserve to be that or to be treated that way.
Speaker 1: Well and much anyway, You're right, You're right, And much of what I found searching for her story was under Wade Allen's name.
Speaker 2: So I don't love that.
Speaker 1: Now this episode, I'm not sure I'm not sure. I Wade Allen's name will probably be in the description, but this is the story of Kelly Jene Horner. This is a story of kJ This episode is titled with her name, not Wades. So hopefully when someone out there wants to learn more about her and they search, they will FoST start finding more things about her and not him.
Speaker 2: I'm not the monster, yes.
Speaker 1: So anyways, I'm not gonna be drinking water after this. I'm going straight to whiskey.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, Ben, So.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna dehydrate rather than hydrate. Hopefully, you guys are gonna have a good day. I'm just gonna say that. Don't forget to look at the description. Leave a review. We appreciate the hell out of you, and we're looking forward to this ride that twenty twenty six is going to be and we're here with you along the way and until next episode, cheers, Stay Wicked.