Speaker 1: Astonishing Legends Network Disclaimer. This episode includes the usual amount of adult language and graphic discussions you've come to expect around here, but in the event it becomes an unusual amount, expect another call from me.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, Welcome back to Scarett All the time. I'm Chris Klari, I'm Ed Vicola, and this week we are kicking off our season two Summer of Fear with a trip to the beach, and not a fun beach. This is a very scary beach because all of a sudden, when you look out towards the horizon, there doesn't seem to be much water here. The seabed looks dry for a mile or two. Fish are flopping in the sun, and that can only mean one thing. Somewhere out beyond that horizon, A massive wave is building up steam and when it gets here, there's going to be trouble. This week we're talking tsunamis one of the most terrifying ways nature has come up with to kill a lot of people at the same time, Faster than a hurricane, bigger than an earthquake by orders of magnitude, the single deadliest category of natural disasters in the twenty first century, so far. If you manage to ride the wave all the way to the end of this episode with us, you're gonna get some very very bad news about a seven hundred mile fault line off the west coast of the United States that is one of the world's most dangerous ticking time bombs. But before we get to all that, I should mention ed and I are not alone on this doomed beach today. Today, we've got Cassidy and Amanda from the Drinking the kool Aid podcast to keep us company as we all flee that incoming wall of water moving faster than a seven forty seven. So take the higher ground with us and make sure your phone is fully charged so the episode does not stop halfway through the Summer of Fear is about to begin?
Speaker 3: What are we screed? When are we all the times?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Which is time?
Speaker 2: Full time God Scan? All right, guys, welcome back to the show. Before we hit the waves, I want to take a second to introduce our guests for this episode. We have Cassidy and Amanda from Drinking the kool Aid Podcast.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having us. We're excited to be here.
Speaker 2: You folks have a very funny podcast and they cover lots of scary and weird topics like we do. So if you want to go check them out after this episode, where can they find you?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 4: You can find us at Drinking the kool Aid podcast on Instagram or really anywhere social media wise, but you can find us anywhere you listen to your podcast just Drinking the kool Aid. Kool Aid all one word.
Speaker 2: And needs two have been at this a lot longer than we have.
Speaker 3: I mean, their studios so nice. Their studio is so nice.
Speaker 2: We just recorded some episodes or not some episodes we guessed.
Speaker 3: I don't like it.
Speaker 2: We were there for a while today recording. They've got hundreds and hundreds of episodes out. So when this is over and you're like, damn, I need to hear more, you know, wherever you're listening to this show, go listen to their show. So before you do that, though, let's talk tsunamis. I assume most people are probably familiar with the basics of a tsunami. It is really just a big wave. But Ed, I never know what you will or won't know on this show, So we'll start with the basics to make sure that we are all on the same page. According to the US Geographic Service, quote, tsunamis are ocean waves triggered by a variety of things, from large earthquakes that occur near or under the ocean, to volcanic eruptions to submarine landslides, by which I think they mean landslides that occur sub.
Speaker 3: Beneath the waves. I thought that was when I first read out all those submarines are coming down the hill. That's what I thought.
Speaker 2: I was imagining a pile of submarines landsliding. But I think they mean almost like sub mariner landslides.
Speaker 3: But sure that didn't help me at all. I mean, I have a superhero my head.
Speaker 2: Even on shore landslides that throw large volumes of debris into the water can cause tsunamis because all of these events displace mind bogglingly immense amounts of water, and that water has to go somewhere, oftentimes racing out in all directions to collide with the nearest shoreline. Scientists don't use the term title wave when describing Sonama.
Speaker 3: I remember title waves, I do. They were a thing for a minute. I feel like that was a term i'd hurt.
Speaker 4: Tidle wave is definitely something I've heard before. Also like rogue wave, but that's a different thing.
Speaker 2: Okay it is, and we're actually going to talk about rogue waves in a minute. I don't know why title waves got so popular in.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's a sudden the language change in the nineties.
Speaker 2: I feel like, like Hershey Park has a water ride called Title Force, or like a tide typhoon lagoons.
Speaker 3: I'll get into. That's my first getting hurt by a wave.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say. I feel like tidle wave was the name of my local water parks, like the wave pool was called tidal wave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there are tidal waves. They are giant waves caused by the tides.
Speaker 5: But nowhere near as big as a soon nowhere near as big or as dangerous as I do like a theme park, that's like, we're not going to be able to do like tsunami size rides.
Speaker 2: Let's just well, especially after the title two thousand and four, you can't be calling anything tsunami.
Speaker 3: We're going to get into it, don't worry. I got some thoughts.
Speaker 2: But unlike typical ocean waves that are generated by wind and storms, tsunamis don't break the way that curling wind generated waves that are popular with surfers do. So you know, when you picture a big wave, you're picturing that curl. That is not a tsunami at all. No curl tsunami, no curl.
Speaker 3: Okay, there you go. Now you know the women.
Speaker 6: Now I don't even I genuinely don't know what I'm looking at now. Then it's just a big like a mountain moving like it's a roll.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's more of a wall.
Speaker 3: Wall Again, only anyone who saw it lived.
Speaker 2: We well to ask, we should say, I guess we've learned. Something we learned earlier today talking to Cassidy is that Cassidy is a big weatherhead.
Speaker 4: Weahead crazy.
Speaker 2: Tsunamis aren't really weather, but they are natural disasters. And I feel like there's a lot of crossovers. So I feel like on this uppisode, Cassidy is gonna have some knowledge to drop, and you're gonna have a lot to learn ed.
Speaker 6: I will say, if you're watching this episode, she will be covered behind your hand.
Speaker 3: Because I'm waving all I said, I've only seen.
Speaker 4: That's how I like to keep it personally. Listen, it's never good.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's probably why I had all the things set up the way they were. Amanda. I feel like we step on your.
Speaker 5: Yeah, something you did something. Cassidy also loves more than anything in the entire world is the ocean.
Speaker 3: So she yes, that's an unusual around here.
Speaker 6: Really, most people hear ocean they go Whenever we have guests like what we want to talk about what scares you, it's almost always ocean.
Speaker 5: Well that scares me.
Speaker 3: There you go. Perfect.
Speaker 4: So I have had the tsunami nightmare though before, where you're on a beach and you can't get off and you can see the wall of water coming. That's like a that's like a reoccurring nightmare.
Speaker 3: I have had. I have that as well.
Speaker 2: I I uh later in the episode, I thought it would be very clever to call it a tsunami to nightmare. But I feel like we're jumping the gun and we'll get to it right now. I have that nightmare. I also have a similar nightmare about knowing that a nuclear explosion has happened and like seeing the wall of like light, which would never if you actually were caught near a nuclear explosion pretty fast, Yeah, you wouldn't see any movement, but that there must be something about that, like the tension of seeing your death coming.
Speaker 4: Maybe our therapist should hang out sometime.
Speaker 2: They would uncover so many weird things talking about what we are afraid of. But that's what we're here to do on this show. So I thought tsunamis were a good topic to kick off the summer of year, because while tsunamis are not explicitly a summer thing, they can happen any time of year. No place gets to me thinking about them, like the beach, which is not a place ED or I really go. When you guys live near a beach, I don't want to dox you.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 4: We both live like within a mile of the beach, and we've actually we had a tsunami warning last year, did we? Because there was an earthquake, I mean parts and member part of Russia Japan got it really bad. I didn't know because tsunamis are so random, you really don't know until it's hello, you know. So we were on a tsunami warning. We did end up just having like really really high tide is basically what it resulted in, and really bad riptide. So they're like, just don't go in the ocean for like three days because it was really strong. But yeah, we have. If you walk around the area that we live, there are tsunami disaster paths like go this way if you hear get away from the beach, like this is the way to go? Is there heroes?
Speaker 2: Do you guys know is there like a specific.
Speaker 3: Like warning app or warning alarms that you have near the beach? Like do you get a heads up?
Speaker 5: Or is it just I feel like I remember something alerting?
Speaker 4: We got to push notification on a phone and it basically said.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you took it really seriously.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well no, I.
Speaker 3: I took it too serious.
Speaker 2: Story soon for when.
Speaker 5: Things like that happen, I immediately text Castidy and I'm like, am I gonna die? Like what are we gonna do?
Speaker 4: Like what do I have to do?
Speaker 5: Get my car and drive away?
Speaker 4: Like what am I doing?
Speaker 5: And She'll either be like maybe or that's.
Speaker 3: A lot of pressure.
Speaker 2: You're now responsible for two lives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just figure, you know, if I'm going to go out, she's going out too.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: If I'm not fleeing, she does, she's not allowed to flee personally.
Speaker 5: Well, I just need to know if I need to like pack up my animals and get the fuck out of here because I will.
Speaker 4: Well, no, we got like a push notification through Apple, and I think we got a text from the city being like, don't go to the beach if you know, if you live by the bluff, stay on the bluff. There was tons of flooding. There's an area in Long Beach that is a peninsula that flooded like crazy, like people's homes flooded. You know, the water was in the streets, right, But we live up more like on like the bluff area, so obviously we're higher ground.
Speaker 3: R Well, the USGS, the US Geological Service, notes that you want to hear about my story. Oh yeah, I do want to hear about I'll give my.
Speaker 6: You know, this story, the tsunami story where I got a fucking alert on the Amazon robot.
Speaker 3: So I was like, what's the.
Speaker 2: I know the story, but the audience doesn't. That's why you're talking it to a microphone.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just saying that, like, uh, that's it. I I woke up, I was blurred, like fucking tired. It was early in the morning and I got had an alert.
Speaker 6: You know, I can get notifications on the Amazon robot and it's like it was like, hey alert, IM like I know or anything. What's the alert little machine? And it was like tsunami warning in effect for and it.
Speaker 3: Said my zip code. I don't live anywhere near the fucking beach.
Speaker 6: And so I was like, what, Like in my brain, I was like, this is the I don't live It must be the biggest wave in the world. Yeah, because that's where my brain went. I'm like, if I'm getting a warning right now, that.
Speaker 3: Is that is we awoke in me as I'm like, hey, there's a warning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you're like Santa Monk has already gone.
Speaker 6: So I got in my car and drove east. I just got and didn't didn't ask anything else about it. I was just like, oh, if they're not on the roador ready, they're fucking.
Speaker 4: Idiots, Well thank god you have my phone number now.
Speaker 3: Yeah now.
Speaker 6: But I just got in and I was like, there's other things I could do out there anyway. So I just drove all the way to like sam Berndino. I just went into like the wall out there, did some stuff, and then I like.
Speaker 2: Went on figuring what this giant wall of water was gonna come fifteen miles in land and you drive home later that night.
Speaker 6: I thought, I just didn't want to be here, as I I've seen that movie. I didn't want to be here, and so I'm like, ah, man, so anyway, that's a true story. It's like an embarrassing story. But I I found at things to do out there. But I just got in the car being like my stupid brain was like, if I'm being told about this to your point, like it's way there are those.
Speaker 3: Cities are gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no.
Speaker 6: No even why would them given a notification twenty miles inland? Yeah unless so I took it very seriously and so I for like thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: It was an error, I would imagine. Yeah, I went on the internet and it was nobody talking about it.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the situation was, but I followed it disorders exactly.
Speaker 2: I had sort of the inverse of a tsunami panic. So I don't think I knew what a tsunami was until I saw the nineteen ninety eight classic Deep Impact. Yeah, which has is most people might know is not a tsunami movie. It's an asteroid movie. But the end of the movie is really about the tsunami that the asteroid causes and it comes into like North Carolina, like it comes like way West Virginia or something.
Speaker 6: I mean, I learned I made sure to learn to drive a dirt bike because of that movie. Yeah, dirt bikes can't take you to higher ground, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you can dip around traffic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come on, do you have a dirt bike?
Speaker 6: Brothers, I didn't personally own one or anything, but well, you're building the time. But I mean, yeah, I'm building the moped. But I'm saying like at the time, I was young in those I had access to those with family, and so I was like, I'm gonna make sure I know how to ride this ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're like, this is the one thing I need for my disaster preparedness kit exactly see dirt bike riding skills.
Speaker 6: And then I got older and it was just never a situation where I'd have room for a dirt bike or money for one or anything. Also, it's a useless skill unless everyone else dies from.
Speaker 3: The wave and I take their dirt bike.
Speaker 2: Well, when I saw that movie, I was also young, but I was recovering from an oral surgery and I'm drugs and pain meds, and there's shots in that movie where like, I don't want to say it was one of the first movies, because it probably wasn't, but it's one of the first movies. I remember where they put cable news in the movie, like with Wolf Blitzer on CNN and stuff. And I was like, hi, on pain meds for the first time in my life, and very confused for a little bit about what was real and what wasn't. And then the wave happened and I was super scared. And then I basically forgot about tsunamis until the earthquake in Japan in twenty eleven, and I was online. I was on Facebook in the middle of the night or like whatever time it was midnight here, and we have a friend who went to college with who was living in Japan at the time, and he was posting about this giant earthquake and I was like, oh my god, that sounds really scary, and there was some videos of it, and then I started seeing all these tsunami warnings pop up and about how it wasn't just gonna hit Japan, that there was a tsunami was gonna hit the west coast of America. Keep in mind I was living in West Hollywood at the time, but I.
Speaker 3: Might rain went.
Speaker 2: I didn't get a warning, but my brain went to, oh my god, I need to get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 3: Like, you're even closer to the beach than I was.
Speaker 2: It was still, however, ten miles inland, and probably I don't know what the elevation there is, but hundreds, if not thousands of feet higher than the than the oat, than the beach. And so I was like, do I need to pack a bag? Do we need to get the fuck out of here?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: And then at some point I became aware. I don't know if I was googling or what, but I was like, oh, no, no, no, no, I'm okay. Like I didn't go go far inland.
Speaker 3: I didn't google.
Speaker 4: In question, if you're not in the car, you're a man of action, of action?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well last day I did that. I don't I'm not a man of action.
Speaker 6: But anything else going to gym buying stuff that I'm low with low on.
Speaker 2: But you did the right thing, sort of, because the US Geological Service notes that a rule of thumb is that if you see the tsunami, it is too late to outrun it, oh no, or as an article we were going to touch on at the end of the episode puts it quote among natural disasters, tsunamis maybe the closest to being completely unsurvivable.
Speaker 3: The only likely way to outlive.
Speaker 2: One is to not be there when it happens. So they are extremely dangerous, and I guess it's good to know that all four of us to some degree have either had an experience with one or are sufficiently afraid of them.
Speaker 3: Well, what's that movie with Natalie Nailmi Watts.
Speaker 6: It's a tsunami movie and it's some of the most graphic fucked up.
Speaker 2: Based on the two thousand and four Is that impossible?
Speaker 3: The impossible or something like that.
Speaker 4: I always just think of Day After Tomorrow.
Speaker 6: I haven't seen all of it, but I had seen like the one clip that not even on YouTube, it was like on cable or something, and it was like, Oh, that's the most horrific, graphic fucked up thing I've ever seen. Yeah at that moment, Yeah, and I was just that was in my brain when the warning came in, where I was like every element of the little bit of that movie I saw, like the post tsunami issue I was like, I want to be nowhere fucking near this.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because the tsunami self is destructive, the aftermath is also horrible.
Speaker 6: Also, the idea that, like, because it would happen the mid of the night or late Yeah, the idea.
Speaker 3: That you're asleep and all of a sudden, now you're underwater. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 6: If it's if it's sneaky like that, like could it you just be asleep and now you're underwater.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know, but sleep and then you'd be dead. I'm not sure. There's depending on where you are in a moment you go, oh no water underwater. But that freaks me out.
Speaker 5: Man, Okay, well can I ask the question?
Speaker 3: Yes, so on this show.
Speaker 5: Doing it anyway. So the tsunami, big, big, big, big wave like I'm assuming hundreds.
Speaker 2: Feet high can be can be?
Speaker 5: Depend and then it goes out from the ocean, yeah, covers a bunch of houses land, and then just smacks down.
Speaker 2: So it doesn't We're going to get to the physics of a tsunami in a minute. It doesn't really smack down.
Speaker 4: Because oh, it doesn't curl.
Speaker 2: So the etymology, the etymology of the word tsunami is actually, I think one of the most basic things about these natural disasters. It comes from the Japanese soup meaning harbor and nami meaning wave, harbor wave, because that's where the damage was always the worst. Out at sea. We'll get to this in a bit too, But out at see, you don't even notice the tsunami. They're not big giant curling waves. They pass under your boat like regular water. So ancient Japanese fishermen out at sea wouldn't even have any an idea that anything was wrong.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry for real, Yeah, they wouldn't have. So when do you know something? How close to the land is a guy to get before you see like a wall of water. We're getting to that.
Speaker 5: Confuses That's why I was like.
Speaker 3: Waves, so I could be like on the water. And then that's why.
Speaker 2: Well, by the time so the fishermen would come back and they wouldn't even a they wouldn't know that anything was wrong. And by the time they got back to shore, the waves have already receded, so they weren't in any danger. They just found a wrecked town basically where a town had once stood. So the Japanese got hit by the tsunamis a lot, and they knew a lot about them, and that'll come back into a story for us a.
Speaker 3: Little bit later.
Speaker 2: But before we get to that, and before we get to the physics of it, I do think we should mention that, yes, there are two modern, very famous, very terrible tragedies that people are aware of that involves tsunamis Fukushima. Fukushima was a tsunami. That it was the tsunami that I was afraid of in California actually causing problems in Japan. That earthquake was a nine point one magnitude earthquake, one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded, and it took about an hour for the wave that it created to smash inland. And it would have been bad enough if the ninety eight foot tall wave had only killed the eighteen to twenty thousand people caught in its path, but it caused a second disaster, which was crashing over the sea walls that had been built around the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant, where it round the backup generators in the basement of the of the power plant and caused three reactor cores to melt down within seventy two hours, creating a nuclear disaster that will contaminate the entire area for the next forty to fifty years.
Speaker 4: I remember after this happened. I at the time was vegetarian, pescatarian, and so I was eating a lot of fish, and I remember everyone was like, stop eating fish right now.
Speaker 2: Because the radiation that leaked into the water.
Speaker 6: No one's talking about that, considering he said forty to fifty years. I remember about that that month, But now I feel like we're a couple of years out now.
Speaker 3: No one's talking about three eyed sushi.
Speaker 2: I don't know how far. I don't know how far that radioactive water spreads around the disaster area water. I'm sure no one's fishing in that area right now.
Speaker 6: I don't think some of those fish got out, probably effecting the other fish like zombies.
Speaker 2: Well they're not fish biting other fish and turning them into fukushini.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't spend enough time down there.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess anything could be happening. I do think radioactive water probably could seep out in all directions, But you're talking about such massive amounts of water that I'm not sure. I'm sure somebody has studied the radius of which you can be outside of and say this is safe.
Speaker 6: A number of times I've thought I'm sure someone studied, and then in an episode of our show I find out they fucking didn't.
Speaker 4: Like you were like, I don't know, We'll just see what happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really no one knew, just no one new. Well, as a quick aside, if you want to know howtimes fish kish other fish kish at your feet, I don't know. This is a problems. We all been fish fish kiss other fish sometimes fish fish in terms of radioactive and you don't even know.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that would make an amazing flaming lip song.
Speaker 2: Well, as a quick aside, I was gonna say, if you want to see how the Japanese or some of the Japanese feel about the way that their government handled the Fukushima nuclear disaster, you should see a Godzilla movie called sen Godzilla that came out I think in like twenty sixteen. It is not only a great take on the Godzilla design, but it is a really funny satire about the Japanese government's inability to handle a crisis. And while I think some of it's probably lost on me not being Japanese, it is pretty obvious even to an American viewer. It's sort of like if Armando Iannucci, who did Veep, decide to make a Godzilla movie. It's super funny, it's pretty scary, and the Godzilla is great, and I think it gives you a sense of maybe how people felt about how trustworthy the government was after that event.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure there.
Speaker 2: Have been some things that have maybe been whitewashed, the little or you know, we've been told don't be afraid, and maybe we should be afraid.
Speaker 3: The fish, the fish. Yeah, I'm agreeing with you. Oh my god, dud. The wonderfish is the only thing that hasn't gone up in price because.
Speaker 6: Because they're fishing, because they know I'm gonna cut the sih img out. I don't want to sound like a nonsense person.
Speaker 2: As ed noted years prior to this, disapur in two thousand and four and even more devastating tsunami hit Indonesia, which was also came in the wake of the third largest earthquake ever recorded, tied in a nine point one on the Richter scale. The fault the earthquake fault ruptured along about seven hundred and fifty miles of seabed, which is the longest fault rupture in human history. It shook for about ten minutes, which is crazy because most earthquakes only shake for thirty to sixty seconds.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even sixty seconds is like feels like forever. So I can't even imagine ten minutes.
Speaker 5: I would lose my mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, actually, if you felt an earthquake that strong.
Speaker 5: For ten minutes, yeah, yeah, yeah, it should be walking towards.
Speaker 7: This, you would lose.
Speaker 6: Yeah, at a certain point, you'd be like nine minutes. Any like, it's never gonna end then, yea, this is.
Speaker 3: Never gonna end. This is life. There was life before the shake, and now we just live in shake. Yeah. Or the world's gonna split in fully in half. Yeah, this group has been split in half by your hand the entire time.
Speaker 2: According to Sky and Telescope maggaz quote, the Sumatra earthquake released as much energy as four hundred and seventy five mega tons of TNT, or about twenty three thousand times the energy released by the atomic bomb dropped on Heroshiam.
Speaker 3: It shifted.
Speaker 2: It was such a powerful earthquake that it shifted the planet's axis by about a centimeter, and scientists recorded evidence that the entire planet vibrated up to about ten millimeters during the quake.
Speaker 4: See that makes me. That makes me sick. Yeah, everything else, I'm like, I can conceptualize that, but the idea of oh, yeah, I forget that we're in space and we are our own small object really just upset me right now.
Speaker 3: Didn't trying to build a big dam or something. And it also functions it up. I don't know what you're talking. I'll do we get into it.
Speaker 6: The show notes and there's like man made stuff very recently that's just too big. And it also like adjusted the axis or something like that.
Speaker 2: But the idea, I think, I think to Cassidy's point, the idea that the entire globe vibrated, you know, in multiple directions, even millimeters, does make you think, like, I don't even understand the physics of how that would have happened. The Earth is suspended in space gravitational poll by the Sun, and this quake was strong enough to break that poll.
Speaker 4: Well, we're not technically suspended in space. We're flying through space.
Speaker 2: Well sure, right, right right, So trying to imagine our planet rotating, I was just up at at Griffith Park Observatory the other day and they had a little model of the seasons and they have the Earth rotating around the Sun and it makes the full It goes the whole way around the Sun in you know, two minutes or whatever, and they have the Earth spinning at the speed that like a day would be when you fast forward it that fast. And it was like, I mean, the Earth is not spinning that fast, but to see it illustrated that way was crazy to see how many times the Earth spins basically in a whole year, just keeps fucking going.
Speaker 4: And then to think about it, it's like three hundred and sixty five times it is.
Speaker 6: I do you guys remember Okay Cupid and they might still be a yeah. So pre like the apps and stuff, there was a lot more desktop dating or whatever, and.
Speaker 3: I remember I'd signed up for it.
Speaker 6: I've never even used it, but I signed up for it, and I was had a very long elaborate uh like like like you have to check off Like it was like a whole test of like here's a question and then it's yes or no question, and then the third thing is how important is it to you.
Speaker 3: The person that you're gonna be matching with got this right or wrong? And it was like, oh, do you think skunks are pretty or whatever? And it was like yes or do?
Speaker 6: It was like, but I do, I guess. But if the person who wants to date said no, I don't care. One of the questions and I think about it all the time.
Speaker 3: One of the questions was does the Earth revolve around the sun? Or does I'm sorry, does the sun revolve around the earth? And it was like yes or no? And then how important is it to you that the other person got it right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was the only one where I was I got a very strong opinion on that I need them to know this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I went back to like, you know, pre like ancient.
Speaker 2: Rome my partner to be a heliocentric Julio centrist.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I think that was actually a pretty good system maybe of like how to do the matching or whatever.
Speaker 2: Do you care if your match is an idiot and then they can just put everything. I might say no to that, Oh that's true.
Speaker 3: I might not care. But if they don't know this one fact, that's a game trape.
Speaker 4: That's my problem is I'd be like, yes, it's very important to me that you know this, but then I would end up with a know it all like myself, and I'd fucking hate them.
Speaker 7: Oh you would.
Speaker 3: I don't think knowing that would make you not that one.
Speaker 4: I mean like every single Oh.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes they should.
Speaker 2: They should follow up your firm, yes with how hot does the person need to beat in the gate?
Speaker 4: This change above?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Anyway, The tsunami that followed this massive earthquake killed two hundred and twenty seven thousand people across fourteen countries a long in the ocean, yes, the wild. Unlike Japan, who's been prepared forever, the the countries along this Indian Ocean area had no tsunami warning system whatsoever. The Pacific Tsunami Warnings had to detected the quake, but it had no protocol or contact list for anyone in.
Speaker 3: That part of the world.
Speaker 2: So by the time they gathered all the affected governments literally phone numbers to call them and say, hey, you've got a problem, it was already over that. The wave had raced ashore.
Speaker 5: So you literally cannot survive.
Speaker 3: It's very, very difficult.
Speaker 4: Some people did. I remember watching documentaries of life, but it's like three people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sheer. If you were right where it hits. When it hits, you're probably gonna die. And there's a couple of reasons.
Speaker 6: I think The Impossible is based on a real family. Yes, and even what was I part of that is true.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this family is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Well, that's I think the title of the movie references both the strength of the wave and the luck of the family that survive.
Speaker 6: It also represents that getting me to watch any more than I watched would be impossible.
Speaker 5: I will never watch that movie. It is I'm so afraid of the like this topic in particular, like is gonna give me nightmares?
Speaker 3: Good good, good good.
Speaker 4: Welcome, then your therapists can talk to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna be like scared all the time. Here's their contact.
Speaker 2: Yes, we we probably we should get a like workers comp insurance because as we have more people guests on the show and we give them horrific nightmares. Yea, yeah, we're gonna need a lawyer to help handle those cases.
Speaker 3: Ship man lawyer. But we don't have any money. Look where we're sitting.
Speaker 2: So one of the reasons that people for so long have thought of tsunamis as giant curling waves is because this very famous work of Japanese art called the Great Wave off Kanagawa famous. Yeah you sent me, Ed sent me an.
Speaker 3: Emoji of this artwork as I was prepping this episode already in the phone. That's how famous it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is people. Some art historians believe that it is the most reproduced art work of art in the world, even more so than the Mona Lisa. And it has completely fucked up people's thoughts of what a tidal wave is or what a tsunami is, because what the painting depicts, this famous blue curl, if you're going over a pretty small boat, going over a pretty small boat is actually a rogue wave, Amanda, As you mentioned earlier, rogue waves or Cassidy even.
Speaker 4: Very interested in, So rogue waves are.
Speaker 2: Very very different than tsunamis. Besides their shape and form is where the energy in the wave is stored. So a wind wave, the energy is all stored on the surface of the wave, which causes that curl and when they hit the shore they crash. And that is also why a wind wave you can if you're standing if you've ever been standing on the shore of a beach and you see the wave coming. People will say, well, dive under the wave if you don't want to get hit. If you dive under a wind wave, the energy dissipates the further down the wave you go, so but when you dive under the of it, you won't even feel it going over.
Speaker 3: Your surfers go down when they're yes blue crush.
Speaker 2: Here is where we get into the physics of the tsunami, how the wall is formed, all those important questions. A tsunami is the opposite of a wind wave in terms of its energy distribution. The tsunami is the entire water column moving from the seafloor to the surface of the ocean. It's not a wave on top of the ocean. It's the entire ocean getting pushed sideways. And that is why ships at sea don't notice them passing beneath, because there is no energy atop the curl. It is just the entire water table being pushed.
Speaker 3: And we wouldn't even bump up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Sometimes on the open ocean, a tsunami can be three or four feet tall, so you'll notice a little bit of a rise, but nothing that you would think is going to be a problem at any.
Speaker 5: Point so that's the tsunami, like gearing up.
Speaker 6: Yes, I guess it's a tsunami in the sense that it's like if someone was standing behind you trying to push you forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of like, oh, what the fuck? What the fuck? Everyone leave me be Like it feels like it's physically the ocean's being pushed. Yes, I think so, I think I was pushing. Its just an earthquake, but I think, yeah, the easiest way to get nothing better to do.
Speaker 2: I think the easiest way to imagine this, even though they are not as common, are our tsunamis caused by landslides because it's the easiest way to imagine the water displacement. So you have this giant landslide, right, all of that earth slams into the water and suddenly all that water is displaced and has to go somewhere. In this case, you know, if the landslide is moving forward, that water is being pushed forward. So all of that water is being pushed forward. And in deep water it might be you know, just a couple of feet tall, but it can be two hundred kilometers long front to back, moving at the speed of a jet basically sometimes up to four hundred and forty miles an hour across the entire ocean.
Speaker 3: Is I can't. I know we were talking about fish earlier, but what a fucking day like.
Speaker 6: You must be racked down there, because on the surface it's fine, yes, but like the whole it's like.
Speaker 3: If all of a sudden the air became heavy and pushed it. Yes, there must be.
Speaker 6: Fish doing fucking carwheels down there, flipping and zipping and going crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Do I even want to know this, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all the creatures in the ocean, they land, they must be get thrown out they land somewhere else.
Speaker 3: No, the creatures in the ocean find a squid on top of a mountain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the creatures in the ocean sometimes get it pretty bad. I'm sure the I don't know that there is a one all the time answer to that. I'm sure the science of the particular wave determines how bad the creatures get it. But there are many creatures that can be brought to shore by the wave hauling ass across the entire ocean.
Speaker 4: That was one of the things that happened in two thousand and four, where when these places were getting flooded. The animals were also getting flooded, and also all of the land animals were seeking refuge, and so there were like stories about people who were had climbed into like tall palm trees, and there were scorpions and snakes and stuff that also had gotten into these palm trees, also seeking refuge and were obviously very riled up and biting and attacking. Whoa, yeah, so that's there's so many things that you don't think about the outside of just oh, drowning or getting hit by.
Speaker 3: This way, we need to figure out how to communicate with animals.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, they didn't become friends, like, huh, it's.
Speaker 3: Cool, we're all up here, not slapping and biting.
Speaker 4: Just a truth for a minute. We'll get back to whatever we're up to when this is done. But no, that was one of the stories I remember reading about this this person who survived a tsunami and they were holding on to the top of a palm tree because the water had hit Yeah.
Speaker 3: Crazy palm tre is a good one because it's.
Speaker 4: Got like flex Yeah, and that's probably one of the reasons that you know, but that there were scorpions and snakes in the palm tree with him and biting him and attacking him. He was, but he was like, if I let go, the water was so strong, If I let go them dead.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's that's a that's a tough person. I don't know that I would have. I would say like, oh, no scorpions and just let go take me.
Speaker 5: Same to take me away. I mean, I wouldn't even have the upper body strength to go together in the place.
Speaker 7: I don't know how.
Speaker 3: This is the person who was already doing that anyway, just climbing.
Speaker 2: Every time he got bit by a scorpion, he just flexed and kissed his bicep again and remind himself how incredibly strong he was.
Speaker 6: No, stay up here, I would My last thought would be, I bet it would be safe up there if I had the strength to get to.
Speaker 3: Oh, and then the wave comes.
Speaker 2: Well, there are two reasons that these waves, the tsunamis, are incredibly dangerous when they make land. And the first is called shoaling, which is why they become these walls of water. And I'd never heard about shoaling before, but it's a pretty fascinating process to picture. So what happens is you have all this water racing along and then as it hits the shallow water near the coast, the front of this giant wave creates friction with the seafloor and starts to slow down, but the back of the wave doesn't slow down because the back of the wave is still moving at the same speed. And that's how you get that compression where the back of the wave catches up to the front of the wave, and that creates that building wall of water as it all just builds up against the water, pumping the brakes at the front, and so that creates that wall of water effect and turns it into this giant, roaring churn, and that shoaling effect can turn a three foot wave into a thirty foot wave, into a sixty foot wave, into one hundred foot wave even bigger. The other reasons un I mean waves are very dangerous is once they hit the shore, they don't stop. That energy that a regular wave expends when it crashes is because there's no crash, No, it's just moving straight forward and that wall of seawater just keeps coming. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration warns people with regards to tsunamis that just six inches of a tsunami can knock a full grown adult down, and twelve inches can carry away a car.
Speaker 6: Now, this much I know to be true because the typhoon Lagoon at Disney, which is maybe a canceled term, I don't know, but it is.
Speaker 3: I was on the shore, the little tiny shore, with my little six year old legs in the water.
Speaker 6: So the typhoon legoon, if people don't know, it's like a man generated wave that comes to big wave. It's like a water park and then I don't know if people enjoy it. But I was a little six year old and I just head up to my little six year old knees in the water, and it doesn't become soft ground until like a couple feet in, so it's still like like sidewalk ass concrete until you get to the soft parts. But the littlest amount of wave that was at that point it had dissipated so much, but for a little six year old spinlely legs, it wasn't enough and I got immediately swept down and knocked over and like dragged all the way across that It was blood in the water.
Speaker 3: It was crazy.
Speaker 6: I had to go to a first aid hut or whatever the theme was.
Speaker 2: I'm glad there weren't any sharks in the still with noon sharks.
Speaker 4: For that as well, say where with the alligators we were in Florida.
Speaker 3: It was Florida. There was no alligators.
Speaker 6: And but I'm just saying that, like I it was such a small amount of water that knocked me over and dragged me multiple multiple feet, right.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of force in that fast moving water. So that's why even just six inches or twelve inches can take a car, because you're talking about water that's been going hundreds of miles an hour for hundreds of miles, and so when it impacts something, that impact is basically like being hit with a car, just with water, So you're not feeling the full force of it when it's just a little bit, but it's enough to sweep your legs out from under you. That's on top of the fact that that water that is racing towards you, whether it's six inches or twelve inches or twenty feet or forty feet high, is filled with everything that it's already hit. In many cases, that water has already churned up boats and cars and animals, and so it is a wave of a wall of water moving hundreds of miles an hour, filled with glass and wood.
Speaker 3: This is mud battle.
Speaker 6: To ever play mud bombs as a kid, No, you would like take like dirt bombs, and like you would you would have like snowball fights.
Speaker 3: So with dirt No, well where they filled with glass too.
Speaker 6: But the thing is there'd always be like pebbles and rocks and weird ship that was in there that that the kid wasn't checking, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Mud bombs so confidently like that was gonna be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was like, no, I just had snowballs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we had sometimes we needed that. That lifestyle have survived beyond.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, but I guess what it worked too. It made me seem less insane.
Speaker 6: But yeah, sometimes it'd be like rocks and stuff and that as the person didn't check before they threw it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's basically a PSEUDONYMI you got it then, yeah, and everyone hears.
Speaker 4: You're microdosing tsunami.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, if you are hit by all of that debris and and all of that force, it's really bad news. When you're in the middle of it, there's really no way to survive it. Oh my god, And one final detail I think worth knowing about physics of tsunamis is that sometimes, as seen in two thousand and four, the sea pulls all the way back right before it happens. It kind of looks like the low tide comes in in just a couple of minutes, like way back, and.
Speaker 6: It also looks like menacing, like it's charging up to yeah, like drawing back a boat or shoot it at you or something.
Speaker 2: Basically when it happened in two thousand and four, though some of the video that survives you can see tourists like kind of being like, huh what They're like running out, Oh that's.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They're like they don't they have no idea what's happening. It is so ominous. It's like some of the most jarring for like not being actually explicit to watch right, you know. Yeah, it is some of the most disturbing footage that I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: In my life. How do we still have that? Whatever camera or phone survived, I'd.
Speaker 4: Be like it was like CCTV stuff, so that was like, oh, okay, there's like resorts and stuff on the sea.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, that would have been like that's my commercial forever.
Speaker 6: It's in portste But I'd be like Saiko the watch that survives a tsunami.
Speaker 3: That type of thing would be like we built.
Speaker 2: The whole thing out of the black box exactly. But yeah, it it pulls all the way back. And that's so this I had more trouble picturing. But the reason that the sea draws back is because if the initial displacement of the water drives the seafloor down. So I was saying, imagine the landslide version right where all the land rushes in and pushes all the water forward. If an earthquake happens when one when one of the Earth's plates slips over the other, it pushes the other, pushes one plate down, it creates a trow at the front of the wave, which I can't quite picture, but New Zealand's g. O. Neet tells us that quote. Sometimes the trow reaches the coast first, and so when the trough reaches first, the ocean draws down and sucks water are away from the coastlines, and then it rushes back in with enormous speed when the wave arrives. So it's not actually building up, okay, but it.
Speaker 3: Appears that way.
Speaker 6: I do like to imagine that the snow the water at the shoreline was like who's coming, what's coming? No, we're gonna go. Yeah, and then couldn't get out fast enough, just like us, ends up getting sucked into it, the water itself, the water itself in this style.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, this water is like we're not deep sea water. We want We're hanging out with like snorkelers. We're chilling.
Speaker 3: People love us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're happy to see us. They want to They're excited to pop their little tosies in the sand. Yeah and get a little taste.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is cute Pixars waves. I can see the trailer now. Yea being bullied by the big bad tsunami.
Speaker 3: Tsunamis like help us hurt everything, Amanda gets it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that would make me cry.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what Pricksar movies are supposed to do.
Speaker 5: You remember the volcano.
Speaker 3: One about a volcano like cars with a.
Speaker 5: Volcano, this volcano and he's like singing about how the water is rising above him and his his love.
Speaker 4: Is like out. Yes, they played it before, Malana. I think that I did not know how to play it under the water and then.
Speaker 5: And then the water comes up and then he gets back up and then he's with his love so beautiful.
Speaker 4: I know how to play that whole song on the ukuleles.
Speaker 5: Can you please sing it for me?
Speaker 4: Pop it out? I'm just kidding.
Speaker 5: I will cry when.
Speaker 7: I hear that song.
Speaker 3: Think our shorts are so good. I never pick up on them. Like the one with the little bird on the beach is so good.
Speaker 4: Oh I like that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sandpiper on sand Piper presto. There used to be a big deal. You'd watch Bernie before Wally.
Speaker 5: Yeah, cute that that particular volcano one is It's real good.
Speaker 4: The real tsunami is less cute, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: There's no like little cute eyes on the tsunami.
Speaker 4: I guess I like think about like when I think about like water displacement in particular, Like you think about those videos that are like slow motion when they drop like bowling ball into a bucket, Yes, and you see the water well up before it goes out, right, Like That's what I'm picturing kind of. There's like this inciting incident and it wells up around the where the incident happened and then falls back out right.
Speaker 2: It's really I try to sometimes get into more like granular detail about these things on this show, But it was wild to me as soon as I scratch just a little bit below the surface, the like water physics that you that even Wikipedia is trying to describe, like the way that the wave motion and this thing hits. I was like, this is I'm so far out of my depth even trying to describe this math toew you think, I mean, waves are something we see all the time, but it certainly seems like the physics behind all that is very, very hard and complicated.
Speaker 4: So my problem with physics is I'm like, I'll be like reading it and I'll be like, I understand what this is saying, and then but I'm so I'm smart enough to read it, but I'm not smart enough to make it, like to regurgitate it in any sort of meaningful way.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, that hasn't stopped anyone who likes the idea of string theory from you know, being like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's like quantum physics, is it?
Speaker 2: Because I don't think anybody writing these books understands a single fucking thing.
Speaker 4: Aren't you also six beers deep?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've found evidence, and by we I mean scientists that tsunamis have been wrecking havoc on human civilization for centuries, mostly due to the fact that we humans have been placing ourselves in their cross hairs since the beginning of time. But that is what happens when your prehistory is filled with fishing cultures that spring up around coasts, inlets, bays, and places where tsunamis generally end up being.
Speaker 3: A really big problem.
Speaker 2: The earliest tsunami we have decent evidence for may have actually helped destroy one of the most sophisticated civilizations of the ancient world, the Minoans, who lived on Crete about seventy miles south of the island.
Speaker 3: It's an island, is an island Greece, Greece, unclear, he'll tell you.
Speaker 2: And Crete was about seventy miles south of a small Greek island called Thera, which we all know by its modern name Santorini.
Speaker 3: But the blue and.
Speaker 2: White instagram bait that we see at every Honeymoon photo for the past twenty years is not what Santorini originally looked like. Those cliffs and the bay are what's left after one of the largest volcanic eruptions in human history, literally blew the top off the island and dropped it into the sea. The date of the explosion is contested. Modern dating places at around sixteen twenty seven to sixteen hundred BC. Other archaeologists using Egyptian historical records place it somewhere around fifteen thirty to fifteen hundred BC. But whatever the case was, it was classified now as a VEI seven or volcanic explosivity Index seven, which is a little bit less than what Ed will rate at if anything goes wrong with the table that he's concerned about.
Speaker 6: I don't know what happened, but the reason I've been looking down is for some reason, my camera and just my camera became insanely blown out and I'm just like a white ghost with like dark eyes. So I've been trying to fix it in real time.
Speaker 4: But this is this is why we brought you here today. There was a tsunami. You didn't drive fast enough.
Speaker 3: He's the ghost.
Speaker 4: This is your sixth sense moment.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Why would God make a ghost who always wants to kill themselves?
Speaker 3: Is that like a way to.
Speaker 4: He's you know, he's a lot of irony.
Speaker 3: This is no good.
Speaker 6: Well anyway, I'm I'm I'm from the movie Powder Now.
Speaker 5: But it makes you feel better to try to fix it.
Speaker 3: Give me two seconds.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know, I know what.
Speaker 2: The ve I seven is the second highest classification on the scale, second only to ve I, and scientists think that this explosion expelled four times as much rock and ash as Krakatoa. The ash fell across hundreds of miles, and then the now empty center of the island collapsed into the empty magma chamber of the volcano, and the sea poured in to fill the hole, which created an even bigger eruption because when cold seawater hits an open volcanic vent, you get a giant explosion of all of that water instantaneously turning to steam. And then when the chunk of the island the size of a small country, fell back into the ocean, you got a tsunami. Now, remember that explosion happened on the island of Thera. The Manoans were living on the island of Crete, seventy miles to the south. They were pretty sharp people. They had a navy, a writing system, multi story palaces with flushing toilets and indoor plumbing, beautiful frescoes, and they traded with Egypt, the Levant, and probably even as far as Spain, they would have heard the explosion and seeing the sky filled with ash, and in fact, archaeologists this was really interesting. I thought, archaeologists haven't covered an ancient city called Aquatiri, which was covered in ash from the explosion, basically like Pompeii. But what they didn't find in Aquatiri was a single body, leading them to believe that most of the city felt earthquakes before the explosion, and people kind of like organized and left so that they wouldn't be there when whatever they thought was coming finally hit. Well, why they never come back, Well, because most of them fled to crete. So the Minoans on the island of Therah knew that something was very wrong, and they knew enough to leave. They just didn't know that a tsunami was going to come for one of the places that they were most likely.
Speaker 3: To flee too.
Speaker 4: And it's like sometimes with tsunamis, if you're further away, it's worse because it gives it more time to fucking get yeah generate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god, I think I got out of here.
Speaker 2: So when the Theras tsunami hit Crete, the way wave we believe about fifty feet high and crushed the northern coast, wiping out settlements and ports. Geologists have found tsunami deposits at coastal sites where the wave came up to four hundred meters inland and ripped chunks of architecture out by the foundations. They even found a port at a place called Amnisos where the walls of the buildings were knocked completely out of alignment. They described it as looking like if someone had shoved the entire city sideways. So that's how powerful the wave was. According to National Geographic I thought this was really interesting too.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: Some scholars believe that the traumatic collective memory of this event gave birth to Plato's allegory of the sunken city of Atlantis, composed a thousand years later. But it was a strong enough disaster and a big enough disaster that whatever had been passed down that.
Speaker 3: Plato was trauma. Yea still ma art, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty one, archaeologists working had a site on the Turkish coast found the first theorist tsunami victims that we that we know about, a young man clutching his dog buried together in tsunami debris under a layer of therin volcanic ash. Scientists call it the double whammy. Yeah, this is like, this is the only real Pompei body they found, but they think the tsunami is actually what killed them because the tsunami debris is what was encasing him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the ash was on top of that. Oh wow, yeah, that's.
Speaker 7: Like he got buried.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got buried by the tsunami and then the ash falling on.
Speaker 3: Top then then then frozen like an amber.
Speaker 6: Yeah, basically you think it's you think you'd spend a little extra time with those types of bodies when you find them, because be like God wanted us to find this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean, Like, what's the clues?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think they you know they sometimes I kinda this is this is well, I don't need to say it's morbid. This is you know what fucking podcast you're listening to. I think sometimes it'd be great to go out as a as a disaster victim like this and you're discovered thousands of years later, because.
Speaker 3: I find it amazing the one hand we can't see on camera and he's like that, it would be great to go out like I'm que jerking off.
Speaker 2: We going out this way? But no, like I don't know, there's something really like capital are romantic about the idea of you live your whole life, you're not necessarily important or interesting in your life, and then the way you die makes you incredibly rare and meaningful thousands of years later.
Speaker 4: Amanda and I have talked about this before too, because she has said I've said stuff like that before about like finding bodies or mummies or you know, we talk about a lot of stuff like that on the show, and she's always like, yeah, that's like the ideal, Like, oh my gosh, like two thousand years after you die, someone's still talking about you. Yeah, you're the hot You're the hot gossips in the long run, like everybody's got to die, usually.
Speaker 2: Usually for a good reason, you know, they're not usually digging up the mummy being like this fucking.
Speaker 3: We hate this guy.
Speaker 4: We're talking again.
Speaker 3: It's on the Ugly Boones Exhibit History.
Speaker 2: So then more than a thousand years later, in three sixty five CE, another tsunami was born from the fault lines near Crete, and this time we have beautifully written record of it. Thanks to the pen of Roman historian Amianos Mussellanos. This tsunami we know, hit on July twenty first, three sixty five, and I'm in that summers. It's a summer tsunami. There we go theme summer fear, Marcellinos wrote, And this is a bit of a long quote, but the writing is so good, I just wanted to read the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Lay it on us, all right, I'll take a break for a little.
Speaker 2: After daybreak, preceded by heavy and repeated thunder and lightning, the whole of the firm and solid earth was shaken and trembled. The sea, with its rolling waves, was driven back and withdrew from the land, so that in the abyss of the deep thus revealed men saw many kinds of sea creatures stuck fast in the slime and vast mountains and deep valleys, which Nature the Creator had hidden in the unplumbed depths. Then, as one might well believe, first saw the beams of the sun. Hence many ships were stranded as if on dry land. And since many men roamed about without fear in the little that remained of the waters to gather fish and similar things with their hands, the roaring sea, resenting as it were, this forced retreat, rose in its turn, and over the boiling shoals. It dashed mightily upon islands and broad stretches of the mainland, and leveled innumerable buildings in the cities and where else they were found, So that amid the mad discord of the elements, the altered face of the earth revealed marvelous sights. For the great mass of water, returning when it was least expected, killed many thousands of men by drowning, and by the swift recoil of the eddying tides, and number of ships after the swelling of the wet elements subsided were seen to have foundered, and lifeless bodies of shipwrecked persons lay floating on their backs or on their faces. Other great ships, driven by the mad blasts landed on tops of buildings, as happened at Alexandria, and some were driven almost two miles inland, like a Laconian ship, which I myself, in passing that way, saw near the town of Mathone yawning apart through long decay.
Speaker 4: So okay, So if the ships are too close to shore, they can get caught up in this wall and be like on top of the wall basically, yeah, and end up inland like, which is such a crazy.
Speaker 3: Like they got sucked out and then zip not sucked.
Speaker 4: Out like they were out, I mean, not even however far out, however far in it's coming right, Like, Okay, let's say you're only a mile off shore, but the water's going three miles in. You might just end up on top of this water fucking and into the devastation where if you're like five miles off shore, it might go completely under your ship. It might shift you closer to shore, but not all the way, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I do like that. His story was like the water receded and people are like, hey, free fish. Yeah, it's the best day I fucking like.
Speaker 6: And then God was like, hey, no, free fish is the way he describes it.
Speaker 3: Yes, here comes a wall of water.
Speaker 4: Yeah here's this. Oh you greedy, little, greedy little guy a little bit. This is what you get. You get wall of water, You get water.
Speaker 3: Do I need to move away or tonight?
Speaker 5: Where from the ocean?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Do you want to move where they have blizzards and ice storms? Do you want to move where they have tornadoes? Do you want to move where they have hurricanes? Do you want to move where they have other earthquakes? Where you think is going to be safe?
Speaker 5: Do they have like none of those things somewhere.
Speaker 6: No, it does seem as though, and I'm not picking on Japan the way God seems to be, but it does seem like it goes westbore like you might end up to your point about should I move, seems like we end up with some residual tsunami stuff where it seems like they're getting tsunamis and rogue waves. It's that it's become part of their art and that they had a system in place for Hey, tell everybody there's a tsunami coming. So I don't know how much we're the recipient of full blown tsunamis.
Speaker 4: No, I think I think the Pacific Northwest is actually more in danger like day to day than we are.
Speaker 3: Then you're good, they're right here.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Actually, like southern California statistically speaking for natural disasters, I mean it's gotten worse obviously with wildfires recently, but like not where we live, and earthquakes and earthquakes, but even then, like once again, statistically speaking, we had our first hurricane in recorded history, and it was like a pitdlling, you know what I mean, And like we have tsunami warnings and it's like it's just high tides, stay away from the beach.
Speaker 3: I know that now.
Speaker 4: Not all of us could drive to sand Burn, Anita.
Speaker 6: If you if anyone's watching the video, there's very good chance that I have not fixed this camera, which means as white as I am on camera right now is as white as I was in bad that much.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, when I first heard it's.
Speaker 2: Soon on me alert, it's like it's like, you know, this is like your personal version of when Hawaii got the nuclear exactly, You're right, except you had they didn't have anywhere to go.
Speaker 4: How many people do you think ruined their life that day? Like they were like I've always wanted to leave my wife, I'm rushing, I'm rushing over to like this girl who I've had a crush on, you know, and I'm going to profess my love and she's my coworker. And then it like it didn't happen, Like do you think that guy was like really, that would have been a really nice of that new.
Speaker 3: Kid, Just say, guy standing in front of a girl at the for sure end of the world. The world.
Speaker 6: Guys, that's really funny because if she in real aft, there was no humor to be found on that day. It sounds really like the worst possible oops all of.
Speaker 4: Them are in I would hope deep deep therapy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel like that's going to be a real interesting population to study year after year as to see the effects of I mean, how often has there ever been something on that scale where that many people, you know, in a quantifiable, studiable way, we're told you are about to die, and then you can go study the population and ask questions.
Speaker 6: And I mean, am I outrageous for thinking it doesn't maybe matter in the sense that to us, the thing that's so interesting about it, Well, yeah, but I'm saying the interesting thing about this is that it wasn't a missile.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But I imagine if you're living somewhere right now where you're probably getting missile alerts and there are probably missiles, but they don't hit you or the area you're in, even though it might have been a warning, how many of those in are you like, well, fuck it, the alert's going off.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's one of you go one or two ways, like you either live in constant fear or you kind of like get so desensitized where you're like whatever whatever will be will be.
Speaker 3: This one's only interesting because there was no missile at.
Speaker 4: All, and because it was a one off. Right, like peow who are living in war zones, we know the psychology and like what happens and the damage that that does to your your psyche, Right, but like this is a very unique one off.
Speaker 2: It's basically like you experiment a couple thousand people with the.
Speaker 3: Fear gun, and you can stu trying to do.
Speaker 2: What that did to them for decades.
Speaker 4: Hey, we were just talking about the FBI and the CIA and the government experimenting on us without our consent? Have we ever thought that that was what they were doing? They hit them with the fear gun.
Speaker 2: Listen, as Ed said, if we can perfect the fear gun, we CIA, FBI, we are open for business here. It's scared all the time enterprises that really spread whatever rumors you.
Speaker 4: Need, we are willing to sell out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just also found out that we're not getting paid enough to What were you going to say about China?
Speaker 2: Head, Maybe repeat that thing you were going to say about China and the horrible thing they did to the planet.
Speaker 6: Oh, I don't think it was horrible, but but.
Speaker 4: We're all because we're also open to Chinese money.
Speaker 3: If anybody in that case, it was never horrible at all. Like I'm happily.
Speaker 2: Listen, my kid is young enough. You can speak whatever language you want him to. So let's write the checks.
Speaker 3: Boys.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we're going to fast forward more than a thousand years and God, finally I travel halfway around the world to the Pacific coast of Japan because this case is really really interesting. It's the night of January twenty seventh in the year seventeen hundred. It's the twelfth lunar month of the twelfth year by the Japanese calendar, and that specificity becomes important later in this story. Ito, which is modern day Tokyo, has a million people in it, making it one of the biggest cities in the world, the biggest.
Speaker 3: It's seventeen hundred. That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Out on the Pacific, that's.
Speaker 6: That kind of thing where water gets to talking. Yeah, we can get a lot in one go here, boys.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Out on the Pacific coast of Hanshu, fishermen are asleep the villages are quiet, and suddenly as soon I'm comes rushing in. It destroyed fields and houses and rice patties and tire fishing operations. It put four meters of water on the coast. Just like every tsunami. It killed people, it destroyed homes. It's not nearly as dramatic and destructive as the previous waves that we've just talked about. What it is, though, is extremely well documented. We don't have just one source like this previous tsunami. We have six, six different writers scattered across six hundred miles of coastline. Each documented the arrival of the wave. These were local officials, head men, merchants, and their records survive in temple archives, in family papers, and in disaster reports. Filed up the chain of command to the shogunate, who I think was like maybe the mayor or something, doesn't matter.
Speaker 6: The reason is some and for the purposes of our show, we're moving on.
Speaker 2: It was filed up the chain of command. People kept very detailed records of this wave. And the reason that so many people took note and wrote about the tsunami is because, like I said near the beginning of this episode, the Japanese to use this phrase that Ed Loves made.
Speaker 3: What a different episode. Oh yeah, that was a different show. They're gonna be like fucking drunk racist yo, he made himself whiter on.
Speaker 4: Purpose, first himself out.
Speaker 2: Like I said, near the beginning of this episode, the Japanese made it their beeswax to understand tsunamis. They know the rules and how they work, and this one did not seem to follow the rules. Primarily, there was no earthquake preceding it, which was very weird because while they might not have had in this advanced model of the physics of tsunamis, the coastal Japanese knew that tsunamis didn't just show up and come racing ashore for no reason.
Speaker 4: Did they think that maybe somebody dropped like a lot of submarines or as.
Speaker 3: A submarine landslide.
Speaker 2: This bothered Japanese scholars for a very long time. Obviously, the suspicion outside of the submarine landslide was that there was an earthquake that happened somewhere too far away to feel that triggered the waves, possibly somewhere else in the Pacific rim which is a very.
Speaker 3: Active like those movies theologically active.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's where they came from. I think from an earthquake.
Speaker 3: Let them loose, right, yeah, I think it was a split in the ocean. Yeah, yeah, well this is more. They didn't know about that back then. They didn't know those robots that did it. They did it. But the thing the robots fought aliens, it's unclear. Kaiju kaiju.
Speaker 2: As the centuries progressed, people kept trying to answer this question of what cause. They called it an orphan tsunami, which happened enough that there's a term for them, because you.
Speaker 4: Don't know it's mother. Wow, that's so good.
Speaker 2: So people were trying to figure out what caused this orphan tsunami. The quake they know would have had to have been huge because the wave was big enough to put meters of water onto the shore and wipe out all these homes. So someone somewhere in seventeen hundred would have had a record of this earthquake. They checked South America because they all to the giant Chilean earthquake could have sent a wave across the Pacific without anyone in Japan feeling the quake.
Speaker 3: They checked, No, no, no, They sent a guide down this no more modern.
Speaker 2: As I said, as the centuries progressed, scholars tried to solve this mystery. So they checked Chile, they checked come Chatka, they checked the history of the Aleutian Islands.
Speaker 4: But what if you're like, I mean, everyone nobody had like a consolidated telling time thing, Well, oh shit, what if they wrote down like, oh, it's thirteen thirty six Jesus before cry.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think these scholars were trying to do their best piece together a mystery and hope that if someone had a record of it, they could try to line up their dates with the Japanese dates.
Speaker 4: And I'm sorry, that's just something I actually never once actually thought about when we're like comparing ancient records, especially yes, the difference in how people the different calendars. I never thought about that till right now, which seems fuck stupid. No, But but I really never thought about.
Speaker 3: That all because a lot of time. To find the Rosetta Stone in a different way, you'd have to find like who's.
Speaker 6: Writing about something that multiple nations would have seen at the same time.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, like a comment or yeah, or a.
Speaker 6: Comment or Haley's comic came in at oh eleven fifty and it was like, really actually.
Speaker 3: Says three, Yeah, came in year three. I must be thinking of a different comment. That would be an interesting bonus episode to do, Like I don't I have. I'm sure there are like why is ed always late? The calendar mystery.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there is, like a calendar of Rosette. There must be like some you know.
Speaker 3: Someone should have calendar. I think that sound Yeah. Anyway, they checked all these places.
Speaker 2: None of them had a record of a giant earthquake on the night of January's twenty sixth or twenty seventh, seventeen hundred and Japanese record keeping, we know, was super precise, so there wasn't a question as to the correct date within a day or two of the Japanese The mystery was just everything else. Then three centuries later, in the late nineteen eighty US, a US Geological Service geologist named Brian Atwater started digging up a dead forest, and he not only solved this mystery, but he uncovered a looming natural disaster that should scare the shit out of anyone living on the West coast of America.
Speaker 3: Wait, why did he get money? Sorry?
Speaker 4: And I just made you feel good about living here.
Speaker 3: This is the story of the really really really big one.
Speaker 7: Are you okay?
Speaker 5: It's fine, It's fine.
Speaker 2: So there is a seven hundred mile fault that runs off the west coast of North America. A fault line, as I think we briefly touched on earlier, is where the earth tectonic plates meet and build up pressure for hundreds, if not thousands of years. Eventually that pressure gets to be too much and the plates, yeah, they edged for thousands of years.
Speaker 3: The plates slip past each.
Speaker 2: Other, unleashing all of that energy into an earthquake that we feel above ground.
Speaker 4: If I'm not crazy, Amanda, I don't think he's even talking about the San Andreas fault.
Speaker 3: It's not the San Andres.
Speaker 5: I was just going to say, literally, no, what that means. There's two.
Speaker 4: This one's like I said, the Pacific Northwest. That's not us.
Speaker 3: That's it's finally going to get its come up.
Speaker 4: And get it to day in the sun.
Speaker 3: It's day under this day in the dark water.
Speaker 2: I love everybody. I figuring out where this is going.
Speaker 3: Okay, I will say this.
Speaker 2: Will end up being very very bad news, probably for California due to knock on effects. But oh, Yeah, there's a lot of things that can go very very wrong here. But this particular fault line correct, this is not the San Andreas fault.
Speaker 3: Uh. This particular fault line starts.
Speaker 2: Around Vancouver Island in British Columbia, and it runs the entire length of Washington State, the entire length of Oregon, and down into northern California before tapering off near Cape Mendocino. This is called the Cascadia subduction Zone. It's where the Juan de Fuca plate is grinding underneath the North American plate about an inch and a half a year.
Speaker 4: It's like it's really far like an eighth grade formal in there.
Speaker 2: Pretty much until unlike an eighth grade formal, scientists assumed that this grinding plate was basically asleep. It was basically just creeping. There were no big earthquakes, nothing to worry about. And then Brian Goddamn mother fucking Atwater started studying the ghost forests, or the patches of forest along the Washington and Oregon coast where the western red cedars are all dead. And for a long time this has been a mystery.
Speaker 3: And they're above ground, they're.
Speaker 2: Above ground, they're just dead, dead trees not rotting, just sitting there dead and that way they're bleached. You may have seen pictures of these. They are really striking image.
Speaker 3: You're seeing it right now. Have you watched them the video? That's right, that's right. I'm a ghost forest.
Speaker 2: You are a ghost You are one example of a ghost forest. But do you know what killed you? No, you don't have to have an answer to that because for a long time, nobody knew what killed you. That's why Brian got Lindsay Lohan.
Speaker 3: Was that movie the strip movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Anyway, no one could explain.
Speaker 4: A stripper in that movie, isn't she?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to wipe help get the confusion off of Amanda's face. They're talking about the Lindsay Lohan classic where she plays a stripper who is killed and her ghost nose who killed her. It's a very bad midnight movie.
Speaker 5: I have never seen this Lindsay Lohan movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might be a good it might be a good streaming watch.
Speaker 4: Who should we do a movie night?
Speaker 3: You might need to do a movie night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But anyway, this guy was like, this is weird.
Speaker 3: I want to figure out why these trees are all dead.
Speaker 2: No one's ever figured this out before, so he dug into the sediment and found something kind of unexpected. He found a thin sheet of ocean sand resting on top of buried pete or bassed pete, is basically like ancient forest floor. The sand was evidence that the tsunami had swept inland and deposited the layer, but the way that it was stacked on top of the ancient forest floor or the peat, suggested that the land had been just a normal coastal forest and then all of a sudden, in a split second, it had dropped several feet into the water right before a wave came in and dumped this sand everywhere. At the same time that he was studying all this big bad Brian teamed up with a Japanese scientist named David Yamaguchi, who specializes in what sounds like an incredibly boring science called dendro chronology, the study of growth ring patterns in trees.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's actually very cool.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say that is incredibly boring.
Speaker 6: Oh well, we're of two minds on this podcast, and I will never say how I feel about David.
Speaker 2: And in this case, David's job is actually pretty cool because he took samples of these cedar rings and found that every tree in this forest had died simultaneously. Ooh tree, the last ring that had grown dated to the summer of sixteen ninety nine.
Speaker 3: That's fucking cool.
Speaker 5: That's what I get. We're saying it was boring.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's still boring.
Speaker 6: But like the reveal at the end of the boring task is like, if only is someone who had this job had more friends, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: They to tell Yeah, if only they had a podcast.
Speaker 6: Yeah, bringing around David and Bryan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god. Can you that's endless content Going through the history of each tree ring by ring, there would be no forest left. Decade of success of that came in. They could do.
Speaker 4: A crossover with the people who like read the sediment layers and like the larth you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: And serial killers who thought you can age ladies by the rings inside if you cut them open.
Speaker 3: Are there serial killers that thought that? I don't know I'm cutting that anyone?
Speaker 2: Okay, you're cutting that out like a serial killer takes out a rings of a woman.
Speaker 4: So god, you guys got to start doing a blooper real life.
Speaker 5: Everything you want to cut is too good, and out of context it.
Speaker 3: Would be even funny, too good, more work for me.
Speaker 2: So the trees were alive at the end of the summer of sixteen ninety nine and dead by the time. Anyway, as you probably have guessed, this means that something very big had happened on the Pacific Northwest coast between August of sixteen ninety nine in May of seventeen hundred.
Speaker 3: Something to scare the forest. Isn't that a thing? That's something fied forest? That is that is a term.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's something in this case rhymes with giant fucking earthquake. Because David Yamaguchi started working with Brian to produce models of what could have caused this, and it turns out that if a magnitude nine earthquake popped off on the Cascadia Subduction Zone at roughly nine o'clock at night Pacific standard time on January twenty sixth, seventeen hundred, it would have traveled across the ocean at about the speed of a seven forty seven and arrived in the middle of the night in Japan.
Speaker 3: Two things.
Speaker 6: One mystery to think, yeah, it doesn't just rhyme with it is actually those words.
Speaker 3: Yes, two anything over on this guy.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say mystery soft, but you beat me to it, which is to say that this guy was like, fuck whatever Chili's do.
Speaker 3: And we know, yeah, they knew. I'm badgering the Chileans. They don't have answers.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. Not only did they not have anyone to tell. Even if they did, there wasn't much celebrating to do because the scientists also realized that this same earthquake would have sent a tsunami barreling into the West coast of North America in about fifteen minutes, and that tsunami would have been lots bigger than what ultimately hit Japan that night.
Speaker 6: Do you think, why don't they're already dig in the ground, They're already looking at sediment. Why don't they dig a little deeper and just see, Like, all right, if this amount of deep in sediment is sixteen sixty nine, then the next the mount deep and sediment we can establish it's probably fifteen ninety nine or some so you can carbon date what have you.
Speaker 3: I'd be looking for the other time, all the.
Speaker 6: Trees died to be like, all right, does this happen every sixty years or is there something we can use to fucking how does this help us for tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Ed?
Speaker 2: You need to talk to a guy named Chris Goldfinger at Oregon State University because they realized that this was a huge problem.
Speaker 3: Is that the school that's Beaver's or the.
Speaker 4: Ducks, I don't know, Morgan State that is the exactly no one knows.
Speaker 3: Probably the Savanna Bananas.
Speaker 4: That's the Savannah Bananas callback.
Speaker 2: Two episodes in one show ago. So anyone listening to this, well, no, eight hours.
Speaker 3: We spent a week with these girls one night.
Speaker 2: Anyway, The Cascadia subduction zone that's seven hundred mile fault is still down there, and it has been locked in place since it shifted that nine pm at Pacific Standard time January twenties.
Speaker 3: Stop grinding that day.
Speaker 2: It's but just for three hundred and twenty six years. It will grind again, and that is what Oregon State.
Speaker 3: You can kick me out of this dance, but I will. There will be more dances.
Speaker 2: Chris Goldfinger has dedicated his life to pulling up sediment cores from the ocean floor. Again, these guys questionable decisions about to dedicate their lives to, but they are figuring out so much shit. He has spent much of his career looking for something called turbidites, or basically these distinct layers of mud left behind by massive underwater landslides every time that fault line snaps. And thanks to his work, we have a ten thousand year history of the Cascadias temper tantrums, and the math is not great. For people living in the Upper West coast of the United States. On average, a major rupture happens every four to five hundred years. Again, it has been three hundred and twenty six years since this last one.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, where we do so right?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be an old piece of ship swimming. We'll be dead right well, right now, I live in another forty years.
Speaker 4: Give me forty years. I don't think you're fourhundred with every four hundred years and we're twenty six.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you said through twenty six.
Speaker 3: We're three twenty six, so how many years, and so four.
Speaker 5: Hundred seventy five years I'll be the good Well.
Speaker 3: Fuck these other kids.
Speaker 4: These kids are fucked.
Speaker 5: I just said quick math, Okay, I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it is faster, just two or three hundred years, and sometimes it takes closer to a millennium. So right now we are sitting in the seventy fifth percentile of that historical win.
Speaker 4: We're right in the sweet spot.
Speaker 2: We've outlasted three out of every four gaps.
Speaker 3: Between these mega quills.
Speaker 4: Oh that's not good.
Speaker 3: This is not good.
Speaker 2: And the problem is, as as one of the articles I read put it, there's just enough time between quakes to build a civilization exactly where it's going to hit, because right now there are more people living in harm's way than ever before. There is evidence a big chunk that I sort of stepped around because it was there's a lot of maybe and maybe that's but there does seem to be a large, at least folk record of various Native American tribes who have legends sort of dating to around the period that this Japanese quake would have happened.
Speaker 4: Living like cyclically in this area, like, hey, don't go around these times, exactly need to move out. We've been here too long.
Speaker 2: Ye yeah, and or legends of you know this Godvillaga god.
Speaker 3: Yes, but we're not like, hey, let's pick up San Francisco and get out of here. Well, we're right, we can't do that now. But my point, my point, you can us four, we can make a compound somewhere else.
Speaker 2: There is a history to civilizations saying, hey, this might be a bad news area. But because you know, the Americans who founded this country and the Native Americans didn't have the best relationship, I think a lot of people went, who gives a fuck, I don't care what your legend says. So we are in the cool zone, we can call it. And one of the scariest articles that I have ever read for this show is about exactly what might happen. Back in twenty fifteen, Catherine Schultz wrote a piece for The New Yorker titled The Really Big One, which both snags were Pulitzer and ruined my day a decade later.
Speaker 3: This is the woman who did the episode. When we did the Big One episode, we touched on this in the Big One episode. We didn't read the article.
Speaker 4: This article is a heavy duty. Yeah, I've read it more than once.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a really well written article and you definitely should go read it. I'll put it in the show notes so you can read the whole thing. But in this article, she talks to Kenneth Murphy, a regional director for FEMA, and she asks what the government is expecting when the fault finally snaps exist, and his reply is, quote, our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate five will be toast.
Speaker 4: So if you're toasts, the technical term.
Speaker 3: That's ah my god, FEMA.
Speaker 2: If you're unfamiliar with Interstate five, it is the massive freeway that connects Mexico to Canada. And I don't think he means everything tipped to tail. He's talking about the entire coastline of Oregon, in Washington, chunks of Portland, most of Olympia. Seven million people live in the area that he says bets. As detailed in the article, the earthquake itself will be absolutely nightmares. Just one passage to illustrate quote. The shaking from the Cascadia quake will set off landslides throughout the region, up to thirty thousand of them in Seattle alone. The city's Emergency Management Office estimates it will also induce a process called liquefaction, whereby seemingly solid grounds starts behaving like a liquid to the detriment, as she puts it, of anything sitting on top of it.
Speaker 4: It's literally like everything becomes quicksand yes.
Speaker 2: Fifteen percent of Seattle is built on liquefiable land, including and grunge, including seventeen daycare centers and the homes of some thirty four thousand, five hundred people. So is Oregon's critical energy infrastructure hub. This seems like a completely insane decision, and I just I guess they didn't know. But this is a six mile stretch of Portland through which flows ninety percent of the state's liquid fuel and also houses everything from electrical substations to natural gas terminals. So together the slashing, sliding, and shaking of liquefaction will cause fires, flooding, pipe failures, dam breaches, and hazardous material spills. Any one of these second order disasters could swamp the original earthquake in terms of cost, damage or casualties, and one of them definitely will. Four to six minutes after the dogs start barking, the shaking will subside, and for another few minutes the region up ended will continue to fall apart on its own. Then the wave will arrive and the real destruction will begin.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's pre wave, that's pre that's all.
Speaker 4: That's just from the earthquake.
Speaker 3: I'll know I'll never see the wave. I'll be like and good day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I see what's happening here, and I'm gonna just dip off the side of this building.
Speaker 3: Now, this article is yeah, oh yeah, yeah, that's true. Wait dogs started barking. I was God.
Speaker 2: This article was written in twenty fifteen, so maybe something has changed by now. But in the article they say Kevin Couples the city planner for the town of Seaside, Oregon.
Speaker 3: Joke sounds like a planner of relationships.
Speaker 5: I say, every single one of these names almost sounds.
Speaker 3: Like crazy Wally Golden Finger and Kevin Matchmaker.
Speaker 2: Who is the detective in the New Fur Unlocked? Uh if you are not subscribed to our patreon, subscribe to the patreon and go listen to the New Fur Unlocked about the Wild West, something ukble murder mystery.
Speaker 3: It's some like it's a word for like being right.
Speaker 4: It works out that way, Like how is the guy who solves like cold case crimes? His last name as holes? Like what's the hole in this?
Speaker 3: You know? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Like sometimes you just something and you're like, I swear to god, I'm not making this up.
Speaker 6: No, his name is something like it might as well be like Cowboy like Harrison always right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like something sharp.
Speaker 2: It was something sharp, but it was like it was a crazy It was like significant sharp or something.
Speaker 6: If somebody who's listening to this now it can go listen to that episode and then comment what the name was, that would help add out a lot.
Speaker 3: Please anyway.
Speaker 2: Kevin Couples, a part time a Cupid for the town of Seaside, Oregon, jokes that people will only be notified it's time to flee the earthquake itself by what he calls a vibrate alert system, which he means there is no there is no system here. I see the earthquake. It's happening. That's how you'll know to leave. And people will be urged to leave on foot. Since the earthquake will render roads impassable, depending on location, they will only have between ten and thirty minutes to escape the path of the wave. That timeline does not allow for finding a flashlight, tending to an earthquake injury, hesitating amid the ruins of your home, searching for loved ones, or being a good Samaritan.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: When that tsunami is coming, you run, says Jay Wilson. The chair of the Oregon Seismic Safety Policy Advisory Commission, or as pack. You protect yourself, you don't turn around, you don't go back to save anybody. You run for your life. Twenty two percent of Oregon's coastal population is sixty five or older. Twenty nine percent of the state's population is disabled, and that figure rises in many coastal counties.
Speaker 3: There's seventy five. Now this is ten year old article.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quote, we can't save them. Kevin Couple says, I'm not going to sugarcoat it and say, oh, yeah, we'll go around and check on the elderly.
Speaker 3: No, we won't.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I like actually appreciate his candor, yeah, because I feel like the problem with a lot of like emergency preparedness. Okay, so I'm from like a small town, yeah, and I've known some preppers and grew up in Arizona, knew some preppers, new people whose families were preppers. And I feel like the one thing they get right is they're like extremely realistic about what you can actually achieve, right, Like so like for example, like I know, Amanda a Manna is like I would need to be corralling my animals and I would need to be doing this. And I'm like, then you're gonna die with your animals like that. If it's so bad that your animals are going to die immediately, you all you will die with them. I'm not I'm not leaving them, no, And I think that that's fair. I'm just saying we need to be realistic right about about what is realistic.
Speaker 6: And also I like that this guy gave me a defense for my actions that day. I told no one I was, got in my car and drove.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like you're he would. He would have applauded. He was. He was personally testing random people and you passed the test.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Oh my god. You hear that outside the.
Speaker 4: Dogs, please Jesus.
Speaker 2: Even worse, the article documents in elementary school in the community of gear Heart, where the children will be trapped quote they can't make it out from that school, Superintendent Doug Dougherty says they have no place to go. On one side lies the ocean, on the other a wide, roadless bog when the tsunami comes. The only place to go in Gearhart is a small ridge just behind the school. At its tallest, it is forty five feet high. Lower than the expected wave in a full margin earthquake. For now, the route to the ridge is marked by signs that say temporary tsunami assembly area, stop it it rais it temporary?
Speaker 3: Indeed? Once he hits it, I don't even like that.
Speaker 6: Hi, this is a person who's looking at the world through the eyes of a tsunami.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is an insane way to live. They're just like, Oh, you built to school here. Interesting? Interesting you did that.
Speaker 4: This guy, I've never heard anything more relatable.
Speaker 6: Okay, I thought I thought he'd be bad at parties, But you want to have a second marriage now, Like, you're just obsessed with this person.
Speaker 4: No, I just I would have invited him to the wedding if I knew.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he'd probably be like, woof, it's actually be pumps vague and.
Speaker 4: You would have bummed everyone out. And I would have been like, guys, if you met have you met couples over here? Sorry, this is my celebrity guests talk to couples about what's gonna happen in the Pacific Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 3: And he's like, Vegas perfect where you want to be. This is truly he's about to be side property.
Speaker 4: Have you guys seen that movie Knock at the Cabin.
Speaker 3: Movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the scene where the scene I'm going to talk to the one person who's seen it sign, Oh you've seen it, Okay, the scene where there the tsunami happens. That is, this is the scenario in that movie that happens. They talk about this ridge in the in the news articles. That's what they're saying. We're we're talking about it and it's on a beach in in the Pacific Northwest. When they have that scene where all the water goes back and there's like people out on the beach. That's literally there's like, that's what they talk about in that movie as this is the thing that happened to Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll never be closer to m Night in your life. You gotta go hit him up and be like, know about ridges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll get him on the pod. He doesn't seem like a busy man at all.
Speaker 3: Tom's gonna be a twists. The twist would be him showing up. That would be pretty crazy. Yeah. So yeah, I think we'll leave it there.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've given you all enough nightmares to think about as you try to fall asleep and wonder when that when the Juan Dea is going to act up like an eighth grader and start grinding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh man, so much pre come.
Speaker 3: Oh Jesus, I went. I thought this will be the episode we don't say pre come, and I feel like we have.
Speaker 4: Two beautiful ladies on the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is definitely not.
Speaker 2: Well technically we did say it.
Speaker 3: Without pre com We can leave the number right where it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, before either of you go any further with that train of thought, we have to rate Tsunamis on a fear tier.
Speaker 3: Ladies.
Speaker 2: You are our guests today. So where do we put Tsunamis on a skin?
Speaker 5: Really quick? Because I still don't really know how they don't Okay, if they don't break, how do they diminish?
Speaker 3: They eventually? Yeah?
Speaker 2: They They think of it just like a giant flood, Like there's a nut. When the water is fully displaced and it completely runs out of the energy of whatever pushed it in that direction, it recedes, Okay, it.
Speaker 3: Just goes back to the ocean eventually, yeah, or just goes into a sewer.
Speaker 2: Well or wherever water. Yeah, I mean it takes a long time.
Speaker 6: I mean it's water, So I guess it goes to the path of least resistance always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so it it depending on how low lying the area is. It can just come in and sit there for a long time. I don't know the actual tidal effects.
Speaker 6: What if you're a what if you're a tsunami. Yeah, and now you're here, I am, I'm in your in your neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Like what if it went into a lake. Yeah, so there's some lakes with tsunami water probably just going yeah, probably I'm salty.
Speaker 5: That water's confused.
Speaker 3: That's not salty. Confused.
Speaker 2: One sounds a good sequel to Pixar's Waves. You have lake water, that would be that.
Speaker 4: That would actually be the short that would play before it. Yeah, salt if you confused lake water?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the salty is the salty water moves in next door and it's all grumpy and salt.
Speaker 5: It doesn't even want to be there, No, because that's salty.
Speaker 4: It's like we are in the wrong life cycle of the steelhead trout. Only real fish heads will get that one.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, dude, hit us up. If you're into weather, if you're into fish.
Speaker 4: I'm realizing now that I have the I have the interests of.
Speaker 3: A of a much older man.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, a very bullied seven year old.
Speaker 6: I feel like you find the interesting interests. You're talking about it in this advanced age.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're like a grumpy old man.
Speaker 3: You're a grumpy old man from the film Grumpy Old Man.
Speaker 4: To be grumpy.
Speaker 6: Feel like you'll get there when kids keep being like, I hate what you like, and then you'll turn into.
Speaker 3: A grumpy I was.
Speaker 4: I was at a I was at a baseball game yesterday and this little girl.
Speaker 3: Was it banana.
Speaker 4: It was the savanna bananas. How do you know? And this little girl kept climbing over the bleachers and I just and I kept going, this is this is really gonna piss me off when she falls down and hurts herself. And my friends are like, what do you mean it's gonna piss you off? And I was like, because it's preventable, and she's gonna cry. And then sure enough, she fell down on her herself. She started crying real, real loud, and I was like, see there, what did I say? What did I say? And I was like, geez, Louise, okay.
Speaker 3: Grandpa, fucking ma rats, I get that kid. Off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like, this is an astar waiting to happen. All right, what tsunamis. I'm going to give tsunamis a solid It's hard to give it like too high of a number because I don't think that I'm and this is knock on wood, I don't think I'm in the like danger zone like as much as so many other places in the world.
Speaker 3: We're pretty close.
Speaker 5: We are.
Speaker 4: Like once again, you look at all the times we've even had tsunami warnings where I live.
Speaker 5: And who's to say when the big earthquake happens, we don't get a fucking tsunami, which big earthquake means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think the San Andrea's fault would cause a tsunami because it's not gonna display the earth that's slipping is not beneath the water.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: But companies that are doing well don't need to lay people off. But when they see other companies that do well lay people off, they feel.
Speaker 3: Like they can do it too. So San Andrea's fault goes off. Now you've got Ricky Pacific going right.
Speaker 4: This is that actually is a thing that people think that there's like a trifecta effect that could happen if anyone wants to be even more scared from this story that either one the San Andreas or the Pacific Northwest fault could hit and trigger the other one, and then that could trigger the super volcano that's under Yosemite.
Speaker 3: He's nervous about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think about that more than any Probably that's when I think about a lot, because that's gonna be worldwide. That's like that's like second Ice Age ship.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because we've we've created these civilizations. I mean not just not not just in the lulls between tsunamis, but I think that's something in in in Earth time. Humans have been around for such a small amount of time that we've never really experienced the bad stuff. Yeah, never really experienced how bad it can really get.
Speaker 4: And that's how I feel every time we talk about these like mega events, and especially living where we live, where we don't experience like radical hurricanes and you know, devastating things beside wildfire fires are really our biggest thing, and even the last ones were like holy shit, that was like unprecedented. Yeah. Yeah, so I feel like it does almost feel like, oh, this thing that we talk about that will never happen, but like eventually it will, and who knows if it's five minutes from now or five hundred years from now. We really don't know.
Speaker 3: You need to ask it for more details.
Speaker 4: I gotta I gotta get into like getting a psychic on board or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just recently started pulling tarot cards.
Speaker 4: Card about this.
Speaker 3: I don't have any decks here. Oh, but where are you?
Speaker 6: I don't know, it's I've go I started hanging out people who are like, you want to pull the tarot card, and so I guess it's a gateway drug.
Speaker 4: When's your birthday?
Speaker 3: I don't know the.
Speaker 6: Other ones though, bday I got I'm an orphan wave. I uh, I'm I'm Christmas Eve. Oh but so I'm a Capricorn. But I couldn't tell you my son's signs and moon sign.
Speaker 4: I was asking when your birthday is. I was going to say, I'll get you a because you're not supposed to buy your own tarot deck. You're supposed to have it gifted to you. Interesting, but that seems too far away. I probably will just you'll forget that, Yeah, you'll forget Oh No, I just am bad at keeping.
Speaker 5: I have to, but I've never opened them before because I've been too scared.
Speaker 3: I don't want anything stupid though, I don't want like a Pokemon Saturn.
Speaker 4: I won't do it.
Speaker 3: I will keep it classic, Okay, thank you, keep it classy.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go seven tunami because it is terrifying, but also you can't avoid it easily by not living on the coast. Interesting because if you get hit on vacation, how are you gonna get fired on your day off? You know what I mean? Like you that's just like God really was like that one in particular, you're out of here. But like, if you live on the coast, obviously you're you're playing.
Speaker 2: Also, with the exception of again a nearly world endingly devastating earthquake and wave, the chances unless you live directly on the coast, the chances of it coming even a mile or two inland is I didn't know that pretty pretty unlike pretty rare.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's what I'm saying. I'm gonna give it a seven because I do live less than a mile from the beach, and I will always take that risk as somebody who just needs to live by the beach. But I do understand, like, if it's something that you're genuinely terrified of, you can just live in Lakewood, you know.
Speaker 2: I think that's a pretty good number, Amanda.
Speaker 5: So it's just a classic one through ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, ten is the scariest bucket a piston.
Speaker 7: Shit, I'm gonna go nine point five.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I like that. I like it way up there.
Speaker 5: Now that I know that it pushes from the bottom and that's how it destroys everything, it's way scarier to me. I thought, so I thought I could just like duck.
Speaker 4: Under No, but you've never even done that with a regular way.
Speaker 3: Now, all of a sudden, you need to be most.
Speaker 4: Just talked about this on the podcast I was a kid. I said, you've never experienced diving under a wave? And you said, and I never will.
Speaker 5: Well, like a small wave, like a teeny tiny little guy that you like pop over when you're like.
Speaker 3: In the water, A little short can't not like a.
Speaker 5: Big guy, not like something I'm gonna surf. I'm not going under that.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, Because I do like open water swimming and stuff that's like fifteen feet to get out to where it's like enjoyable to actually swim. You have to get past the surf.
Speaker 3: It's not enjoyable sooner.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's usually waves.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and if you want to actually swim, like I'm talking, goggles on, we're.
Speaker 3: Going I have, I have at all.
Speaker 7: I have never dove under a wave.
Speaker 3: Can handle it? No, No, we couldn't. I had a racist peanut butter cup during this recording.
Speaker 7: I have never dove under a wave.
Speaker 5: When my when I can't touch the bottom of the ocean, oh wow, Okay.
Speaker 4: That's when you need to do it. Yeah, like when I'm just say as you just kind of do like one of those yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Know when you're doing that. I dove under those Okay, and I'm like, whoa, that's crazy. Sure, but that's about it. And I'm terrified at the ocean also, so and I'm terrified of earthquakes, terrified of the ocean. I'm just terrified of death in general. So all those things are kind of in a tsunami. So that scares me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, tsunami is those are three ingredients in the tsunami cakes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that scares me.
Speaker 3: Shit man, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So you have a seven to nine point five ed you.
Speaker 6: Go six really because it dragged me out of bed, but I now learned that I was too far away to be in danger, so I had to lower it.
Speaker 3: So that morning it was a nine point five. Now it's a six.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, are we okay?
Speaker 3: Because I'm not going to move any closer to the water.
Speaker 5: I just feel like, can we change the fear though based on like, let's say you're at the beach.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're going to be five.
Speaker 5: The beach and you see the fucking waves coming, that's a ten.
Speaker 2: To be fair, we do face this question at the end of nearly every episode. We're like, well, if the clown is in my house, that's a ten. Guessing I don't know, so okay, uh seven, nine point five six. I feel like I have to go, like I have anxiety about it, but I feel like I have to go lower than you because.
Speaker 3: Because we're not by the beach.
Speaker 2: No, well, because you fled and the time and you didn't know fifteen minutes I thought I was fucked. I didn't go anywhere.
Speaker 5: But also a six made you flee.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, I said. On that day, it was like a nine point five. I learned, and now I've learned that was an irrational reaction to it. And now I'm lowering to a six, which is to say, above a five because might find a big fucking wave.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say I gave it a seven because I live closer to the beach.
Speaker 3: And also saying I should go lower.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm just saying, yeah, like, you don't need to manage.
Speaker 3: You don't see anybody, no I do. This is your decision so bad.
Speaker 4: Like we were talking about in the beginning, this is a reoccurring nightmare that I do have of standing on a beach and watching the water receipt and knowing there's nothing I can do. Like, so I'm saying this is clearly something I think about in that I fear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I'm I should maybe go lower, but I'm sticking with it.
Speaker 5: But I think that's what makes it so much scarier is that once it's happening, you're done right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's nothing It's like getting necrotizing fascy iteas you have to be like.
Speaker 3: That was a hell of an episode. That much was not an easy episode to get through.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, then I guess you bring up the good point about the nightmares that I also have, So I feel like I get. I guess I'll go.
Speaker 3: Seven as well. I guess I'll go seven as well. I'm sticking with my six.
Speaker 4: I know, I think that that's fair. I think even like I.
Speaker 3: Was, six is a healthy fear of it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I was expecting like a four from you.
Speaker 3: A lot of people say that, but yeah, that's in all.
Speaker 5: Fairness though, Like, I don't think there would be many things you could tell me on this podcast that wouldn't be close to an eight or and I.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say for me, you are scared of them.
Speaker 5: I'm scared of a lot.
Speaker 4: She's scared all of the literal perfect.
Speaker 3: You are the perfect guest for this show.
Speaker 5: Can't cut that, you can't cut that?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Well, guys, this has been an insane journey, very funny, lovely time with Cassidy, Amanda. Thank you, guys ky so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having us so much.
Speaker 2: The podcast again is drinking the kool aid. Go check them out right now, throw them on the Spotify follow list, like subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. Until next time, the show is I'm Chris Calari and I remain ed and the show is scared all the Time.
Speaker 3: We'll see you later. Bye bye, bye bye bye. Scared all the Time is co produced by Chris Calari and.
Speaker 2: Edvacola, written by Chris Calari.
Speaker 3: Edited by Edvacola.
Speaker 2: Additional support and Keeper of Sanity is test Fightful.
Speaker 3: Our theme song is the track Scared by Perpetual Stu and Mister Disclaimer is and just.
Speaker 6: A reminder, you can now support the podcast on Patreon. You can get all kinds of cool shit in return, depending on the tear you choose, We'll be offering everything from ad free episodes, producer credits, exclusive access, and exclusive merch.
Speaker 2: So go sign up for a Patreon and Scared all the Time podcast dot com.
Speaker 3: Don't worry, Full Steady Can's welcome.
Speaker 1: No part of the show can be reproduced anywhere without permission copyright Astonishing.
Speaker 3: Legends Production Night. We are in this together, Together, Together,