Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. We're here to cut through the noise and really get to the core of complex topics. Today we're tackling something absolutely vital, though maybe a bit technical sounding, cybersecurity incident response. We're diving into erics E. Thompson's book Cybersecurity Incident Response, How to Contain, Eradicate, and Recover, you know, the whole nine yards. Our goal to pull out the key insights, give you that clear understanding of how organizations actually handle cyber attacks. Think of it as a shortcut to grasping the digital battle plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, battle plan is a great way to put it, because, honestly, it's not just about the tech. It really comes down to strategy, people, processes. Get the response right, you protect your reputation, your bottom line. Get it wrong well.
Speaker 1: Well, and getting it wrong can be incredibly public, can it. Why is this response phase just so critical beyond the immediate fix?
Speaker 2: Well, think about it. Even the best defenses aren't foolproof. Something eventually gets through. When that happens, how the company reacts, that becomes the public face of their entire security effort. We saw it with Target back in what twenty fourteen and Equifax in twenty seventeen. Huge breaches, sure, but the criticism that lasted was about the response itself. Core communication seemed unprepared. That stuff sticks.
Speaker 1: So it's the handling the grace under pressure almost as much as stopping the attack itself. Where do organizations typically stumble when they're hit? Oh?
Speaker 2: The pitfalls are pretty common, often organizational, not just technical. Big one, lack of real planning. They might have a document, but it's not an actionable playbooks, just.
Speaker 1: A checklist pretty much.
Speaker 2: Then there's lack of preparation, no practice, no muscle memory. So when things get real panic, bad decisions and leadership is key. Lack of decisive leadership or worse management, criticizing necessary steps like you know, taking critical systems offline mid crisis disaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, undermining the team right when they need support most exactly.
Speaker 2: It shows instant response isn't just an IT thing, it's a core business function. These constant attention, testing, improvement just an annual drill.
Speaker 1: That makes total sense. So to avoid those pitfalls, you need a solid foundation. Where does an organization even start building that? What are the must have right?
Speaker 2: You can't just bolt on incident response. It has to sit on top of good basic security hygiene think NIST cybersecurity framework, the identify and protect functions, strong access control, protecting data, properly secure hardware, managing vulnerabilities, decent network protection like firewalls, the fundamental the fundamentals. Without those, your response team is fighting with one hand tied behind their back.
Speaker 1: Okay, And there's a specific guide for the response part itself right NIST SP eight hundred and sixty.
Speaker 2: One YEP Special Publication eight hundred and sixty one. That's the blueprint. It helps set up the capability, defines how to handle incidents. It stresses that it's not just technical.
Speaker 1: Because it's a business problem.
Speaker 2: Ultimately precisely, and it clarifies terms people often mix up. Like an event that's just anything unusual, a weird email gets quarantined. Maybe an adverse event is more serious system out It could be accidental, could be malicious, But an incident that's a confirmed violation policy, broken assets threatened, like an insider walking out with data they shouldn't have.
Speaker 1: Getting those distinctions right must be crucial for knowing how seriously to take something. Absolutely triage depends on it, and the guide also pushes for clear policies a solid plan, even a mission statement. I like that healthcare example, relentlessly protect our patient's health information. That clarity seems vital. Okay, we've got frameworks, tech basics, but you mentioned people. This feels like where things get really interesting. Best tech in the world won't help if the team or culture isn't right. What makes a strong leader here, it's a.
Speaker 2: Mix of things, really. First passion, You got to care deeply to push through budget fights, new threats, long nights sure. Then humility knowing you don't know everything, empowering the specialists on your team, not trying to be the hero who knows it.
Speaker 1: All, so trusting the experts, trusting.
Speaker 2: Them and listening. That's the next one. Listening, building that trust before a crisis hits. Hearing concerns daily, not just when alarms are blurring. And when you've listened, you need decisiveness, make the call based on the facts, even if it means disrupting the business.
Speaker 1: Instills confidence even the tough calls, like taking things offline.
Speaker 2: Especially those, And finally, emotional intelligence managing your own stress, your own reactions, and understanding your team stress empathy basically, but also keeping a levelhead.
Speaker 1: That's a powerful combination. It's about character as much as competence, and the culture piece the book mentions open Myers above the line, how does that fit?
Speaker 2: It's about creating a culture focused on clear purpose like protect our assets relentlessly, then driving intention focus and continuous learning, being purposeful and skillful, especially under pressure.
Speaker 1: So it's embedding that mindset exactly.
Speaker 2: And change models like Cotter's or LUNs can help. They provide frameworks to make incident response a core value, not just you know, an IT department task.
Speaker 1: Okay, leadership and ca culture sorted, Let's get into the plane itself. What's the core strategy? What are we actually trying to achieve with an incident response plan?
Speaker 2: Well, the big goals are pretty clear. Protect the company's assets, meet compliance rules, minimize bad press, limit financial damage, and keep customer disruption low. It's the playbook for hitting those targets during chaos, and typically it breaks down into phases. First identification, spotting the event quickly. This uses everything from fancy intrusion detection systems and sims to even just an alert employee noticing something weird. Automation's key here. That data volume is huge.
Speaker 1: Okay, detect it fast, Then what.
Speaker 2: Containment, Stop the bleeding, limit the damage spreading it. Then eradication, get the attacker and everything they left.
Speaker 1: Behind out clean sweep right.
Speaker 2: Fourth is recovery, get systems back online, working properly and hopefully stronger than before. And finally, the crucial bit that often gets skipped post incident, review the lessons learned, what work, what didn't? How do we update the plan?
Speaker 1: You mentioned these phases aren't always neat and linear. That seems important.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely. You might be containing one thing while still identifying other compromise systems, or you might need to loop back during recovery if eradication wasn't complete.
Speaker 1: It's dynamic and everyone needs to know their role right, not just the tech team.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, legal, compliance, pr senior management. Everyone has a part. The plan needs to define that clearly. Going off script, as the book says, just leads to chaos.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's our plan, But effective defense means understanding the attackers plan too. How do organizations anticipate what the adversary will do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need to think like the attacker. Frameworks like the Mandy and cyber attack life cycle used to be called the kill chain. Help here they map out the typical stages an attacker goes through.
Speaker 1: Okay, break that down for us, It's.
Speaker 2: Usually seen in three broad phases. Phase one is initial compromise. Starts with reconnaissance, googling you, checking LinkedIn, scanning network with tools like SHOWDAN, maybe harvesting emails exactly. Then the initial compromise itself. Maybe a fishing link gets flicked, maybe they exploit a known vulnerability. Once they're in, they establish a foothold, plant some malware, steal some credentials to ensure they can get back in.
Speaker 1: Okay, they're inside, what's phase two?
Speaker 2: Phase two is iterative. This is where they work to expand their access. They try to escalate privileges, get admin rights. They do intro a reconnaissance map out your network from the inside. They move laterally, jump from system to system, and they try to maintain persistence, set up more ways to stay in even if one gets.
Speaker 1: Found spreading out, digging in deeper.
Speaker 2: Then phase three is complete the mission. This is the objective could be stealing data, exultration, changing data, or just destroying it, whatever their goal was.
Speaker 1: Understanding that whole sequence must help defenders know where to look, what kind of activity signals which phase precisely.
Speaker 2: It helps prioritize alerts and it links straight into risk assessment. Remember, risk is about a threat hitting a vulnerability and causing an impact confidentiality, integrity, or availability.
Speaker 1: Like that server example, an unpatched Windows two thousand and three server in a locked closet low risk, same server connected to the internet high risk. Context is everything exactly right?
Speaker 2: And think about practical examples like the OWAS Top ten for web apps. Things like injection flaws, broken authentication, exposing sensitive data. These are the common vulnerabilities attackers target in phase one or two. Knowing them helps you prioritize defenses.
Speaker 1: It sounds like detection alone needs a whole arsenal of tools. How many layers are we talking about.
Speaker 2: It's definitely multi layered. You need things like Data loss prevention DLP that watches for sensitive data going where it shouldn't leaving via email being saved to a USB drive sitting unencrypted.
Speaker 1: Somewhere, trying to plug the leaks right.
Speaker 2: Then, endpoint Detection and Response EDR that monitors laptop servers looking for weird changes, processes acting suspiciously. It's like a security camera on each device. You also need network traffic analysis, watching the data flow looking for strange patterns, maybe huge uploads or spikes in DNS traffic which can signal malware calling home and the big one SAM security, Incident and event management. This pulls logs from everywhere firewalls, servers, applications, databases, and tries to correlate events, find patterns that match known attacks based on predefined rules or use cases.
Speaker 1: That sounds like finding needles in haystacks.
Speaker 2: It can be. Tuning is critical to avoid alert fatigue. But you also can't forget the humans empowering end users through training phishing simulations. They're often the first to spot something fishy literally.
Speaker 1: So it's tech and people a whole ecosystem.
Speaker 2: Definitely, plus logs from firewalls, intrusion detection systems, basic OS logs, everything feeds.
Speaker 1: In okay detection triggers an alert, Now the clock sticking containment? How do you stop the spread? First?
Speaker 2: You hunt for indicators of compromise IOCs. These are the attacker's fingerprints, specific filelashes, IP addresses, they use, weird registry keys. Intel feeds often provide these. Find the badness, find it and find all of it. Then you isolate unplug the machine, maybe put it in sleep mode to preserve memory. Often better for forensics, use network rules firewall DNS to block its communication.
Speaker 1: Definitely while preserving evidence crucial.
Speaker 2: You need forensic images, exact copies of the disk and memory for later analysis. And you correlate data from EDR seam network traffic to see how far.
Speaker 1: The infection spread and the strategy changes depending on the attack, right like malware versus a doss attack.
Speaker 2: Absolutely for malware or ransomware, you verify it, maybe upload a sample to virus total, run in a sandbox, identify its command and control C two traffic, then use eedarcium to find every machine infected.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: For denial of service, you're mapping the attack traffic, finding the source ips, blocking them at the edge, maybe even calling your ISP for help. Sometimes you temporarily disable the service under attack or scale up resources.
Speaker 1: What about physical like a laptop.
Speaker 2: Report it, assess the data sensitivity, try to track it or wipe it remotely if you have that capability. And this is often where forensic investigators come in, especially external specialists. They know how to collect evidence properly. For potential legal action, you need those relationships set up before you need.
Speaker 1: Them, makes sense, pre approved contracts.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And all this time the team lead is probably dealing with executive expectations, trying to provide updates without speculating, sticking to the facts. That's a tough balancing act.
Speaker 1: Okay, the attacks contained damage stopped. Now getting rid of it and getting back to.
Speaker 2: Normal, right radication, removing every trace of the attacker, malware files, registry changes, dodgy user accounts that they created. Sometimes for really deep infections like rootkits, wiping and restoring from a known, good backup is the only safe way.
Speaker 1: Don't want leave anything behind, Nope.
Speaker 2: Then recovery, patch the vulnerability they exploited, maybe with an emergency change request, scan again to be sure it's fixed, Restore data from backups. The aim is to come back online more secure than you.
Speaker 1: Were before, building back better. Essentially, that's the goal. And then that step you mentioned earlier, the post mortem, the post incident review.
Speaker 2: The lessons learned so vital yet so often skipped because everyone's exhausted and wants to move on. But this is where you ask what went right? What went wrong? How do we update our plan? Our tools are training.
Speaker 1: And metrics help there.
Speaker 2: Huge help, time to detect, time to respond, contain eradicate tracking those drives. Real improvement stops you making the same mistakes twice.
Speaker 1: Let's make this concrete. The book has that story about American Widget. Can you walk us through that? It really highlights some of these points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great cautionary tale. So American Widget makes high end stuff, has wealthy clients, celebrities, politicians, very sensitive customer data, valuable manufacturing secrets.
Speaker 1: Okay, high states definitely.
Speaker 2: It starts kind of small. A finance manager's laptop keeps crashing blue screens annoying but maybe just hardware. Then a manufacturing calls his main database is locked ransomware. They won a million bucks.
Speaker 1: Ouch.
Speaker 2: The information security manager the ism is actually relieved when they find they can restore the database from backups. He thinks youugh dodged a bullet and focuses all his effort on figuring out the ransomware. The cisso though, is uneasy, knows those manufacturing plans are gold. Ransomware seems messy for stealing plans.
Speaker 1: And disconnect and understanding the assets exactly. Ah.
Speaker 2: Fast forward a few months suddenly VP customers get blackmail emails pay up or we release your purchase history. It contains real sensitive account data.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 2: Annextations the second incident response kicks off. Logs show a sales manager downloaded all those customer histories at two AM weeks earlier. Then a sharp analyst remembers that sales manager's laptop also had weird blue screen issues on the same day as the finance managers, right before the ransomware hit.
Speaker 1: AH. Connecting the dots.
Speaker 2: Right, forensics comes in digs deep the truth. The ransom war was a complete diversion smoke and mirrors. While the security team was frantically restoring the database, the real attack was happening silently. The attackers used the initial foothold on those manager's laptops to steal the customer data, likely exfiltrating it slowly using something subtle like DNS tunneling.
Speaker 1: Wow, So they focus on the loud bang missed the quiet theft.
Speaker 2: Precisely, they lacked a formal IR plan. They didn't grasp the true criticality of different data types. That customer list was arguably more valuable than the manufacturing dB. In this context, the ism got tunnel vision on the ransomware and the company paid a huge price in reputation in customer trust.
Speaker 1: That's a powerful lesson. The aha moment is realizing how easily attackers can misdirect and why knowing your real crown jewels is paramount.
Speaker 2: Couldn't say it better.
Speaker 1: And that American widget story drives home that this isn't a one time setup. It's ongoing, continuous.
Speaker 2: Absolutely that brings us to continuous monitoring. Nissed SP eight hundred one THIRSTS seven talks about this. It's about constantly checking if your controls are working is expected, if their meeting management's risk tolerance, are they effective? Are they producing the right outcomes. It's keeping your finger on the pulse. It's never done, never done, And things like network segmentation play into this too. Making it harder for attackers to move laterally isn't just prevention. It creates more trip wires, more places where you're continuous monitoring can actually detect them sooner, better data points for response, So it all interconnects.
Speaker 1: Prevention, detection, responds, continuous improvement.
Speaker 2: It's a cycle, and leaders need to keep growing to technically, yes, but also in their leadership skills, Balancing budgets, priorities, team morale. It's a constant juggling act.
Speaker 1: Well, we've certainly covered a lot of ground, from the shock of a breach, through the planning, the leadership, the tech, the phases of response. It's complex, it really is.
Speaker 2: I think the key takeaway is that effective incident response is holistic. It needs strong leadership, a clear strategy everyone understands, constant practice that muscle man, and a really deep knowledge of your own assets and how attackers think.
Speaker 1: So for everyone listening, maybe the question to reflect on is what are the real hidden risks in your world, the things you might overlook if focused on the obvious, and how ready are you really to respond when that unexpected incident hits. Thank you for joining us on this deep dive. We hope you feel better equipped to think critically about cybersecurity incident response.