Speaker 1: You're listening to an air Wave Media podcast.
Speaker 2: The Windy City, The Second City, Chai Town, Chicago Land. It's got many names, and many many wonderful people, and many many wonderful places to eat. It's got many legends, many stories of ghosts and strange lore. But since the middle of last year, people have been alleging it's got a new resident. A winged humanoid quite similar in description to the Mothman of Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Is the Great City of Chicago being invaded by a mysterious flying creature that defy science and logic.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned, Okay, it's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature park apes and part masts in Larkness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the highlands of Scotland, get a creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monstertal.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. I never feel like I have to apologize for being skeptical. For me, true skepticism is about looking for evidence and testable explanations and trying to use critical thinking when examining issues. This is certainly not limited to the paranormal, but I hope it's clear by now that Karen and I and many of you awesome monster Talk listeners are able to simultaneously enjoy these kind of stories and also to think critically about whether or not they're true. Often it's impossible to find out if something really happened, but you can check out stories to see if there's any obvious discrepancies between what was reported and what really happened. Skeptical paranormal investigations are a lot like detective work. Did the witnesses report a bright full moon, but according to the calendar it was really rainy with a new moon. Did the story involve a quiet, eerie walk down a lonely street, only at the time there was a huge concert and the sidewalks would have been filled with potential witnesses. These don't always disprove strange stories, but checking out the real landscape and circumstances around the story can often reveal details which hint at embellishment, mistake and identification, or even outright hoaxes. There are plenty of reasons to be highly skeptical of the idea of a man sized winged humanoid flying around Chicago. For accounts of these creatures that describe a winged humanoid, we have the problem that from a scientific perspective, biology on Earth doesn't support any evolutionary basis for a six limbed humanoid capable of flight. Birds of this size wouldn't have six limbs. We've talked about the four limb biological model before.
Speaker 4: These are called tetrapods.
Speaker 2: I recommend you check out Tetrapod Zoology podcast by Darren Nash at tetzoo dot com. Earth is also home to flying six limbed creatures, but we call them insects, and they're not the size of humans. But just because something doesn't fit within the known patterns of biology doesn't mean it shouldn't be researched. It just suggests there might be other factors at play, such as mysidentification are sadly hoaxing, and even though the very least likely explanation is that an unknown human sized animal is out there flying around the skies of Chicago, there's no harm in looking. In fact, there might be something to be gained as these stories of what folks are calling the Chicago mothman or the Chicago owlman and a few other variants of winged humanoid or beginning to pile up. It's wise to be skeptical and to check out these claims. Our guests in this episode is Alison Jordlin, and I'm linking to a YouTube playlist where she's done hours and hours of footwork to actually visit all the locations. We're more than sixty reports of this creature been pinpointed. I hope you'll enjoy this show, and I hope you'll check out the show notes, where we link to many of these reports and to her videos. These stories are coming from multiple witnesses, but the prime source for the accounts is Lone Strickler's website Phantoms and Monsters. I've linked to his site and to his book on the topic. I did reach out to him, as we talk about in the episode, to see if he wanted to talk about his experiences collecting these tales, but he has declined to be interviewed. But we're not done with the topic of Mothman after this, so as always, keep watching the skies and your Monster Talk feed Monsteral. Okay, so welcome to Monster Talk, Alison Jordlin. Alison reached out to me through Facebook to talk about the Chicago mothman sightings, and I invited her on the show because of some of the extensive work she's done looking into this matter. But I don't think most of our listeners are probably I know you or your work. Would you like to give an introduction for who you are and how you got involved with this sort of topic.
Speaker 1: Sure? Well, I've always been interested in the essential questions, as many of us are, you know, whether you class yourself as a skeptic or a believer. You know, I think we're all interested in, you know, what happens after death? And you know, are we alone? All those great questions, you know, they always really sucked me in, and so I decided, you know that I get involved in researching the paranormal. And I guess my first official foray into it is I run Milwaukee ghosts dot com, which is a clearinghouse for Midwestern ghost stories and other strange tales. And I started the first Hunted History tour in Milwaukee in two thousand and eight. And I just did that because you know, I love Milwaukee and I wanted to celebrate the folk lore or in the history like so many other cities do. They're they're really proud of their history. And uh so that's that's where I started. But you know, much more, I'm you know, much more than just ghost I mean, I'm interested in any anything strange, Uh that might give me some answers to those questions, those essential questions that we all face.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, we're interested in all those topics as well, everything, right, And it seems sorry, oh, I was.
Speaker 1: Just gonna say so. Uh. You know, after uh starting the Haunted History Tour here in Milwaukee, I got a lot of opportunities to investigate haunted places, and so I started working with paranormal investigative groups. And you know, even before that, I mean, anytime I go on vacation, it's all haunted or you know UFO or you know Bigfoot, any of those weird regional localis. You know, if we're going on vacation in that area, you know, I am out there looking for the weird. So, you know, now I'm kind of doing it in you know, a more public forum.
Speaker 5: We les Sunds like us too. I think I can't tell you how many trips I've organized just on the basis of going to visit purportedly haunted locations. But it seems like you've been doing this for a little while, but we've got you on the show to specifically talk about the Chicago Mothman. So how did you develop an interest in the Chicago Moffman claims?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, if I started to see that, hey, you know, all these claims are coming forward in Chicago. If I'm really a Fordian investigator, if I'm really interested in the paranormal, then hey, you know, I know I'm in Milwaukee, but Chicago is not that far away. It's close enough that any any Fordian researcher should want to get out there, boots on the ground and take a look for themselves. Don't just you know, sit there in the armchair and read all these extraordinary accounts. You know, hey, maybe get out there and see what's really going on. And of course, you know, this is monster talk, and I love monsters. I have to just admit that. And if there's any chance that I could come close or you know, rub shoulders with a monster, I'm going to get out there and do it. And that's that's why I became interested. I'm like, wow, you know, like all these sightings, like every week there seems to be a new sighting. And you know, right now we are up to sixty seven sightings and so I've been to I've been to sixty of them and then so there's a few that have occurred this year which I'm going to get out there again and make sure that I document all the locations because I think anytime extraordinary claims are made, you want to get as much information as you can. And nothing does that like boots on the ground.
Speaker 4: Wow, sixty seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you've got your finger on the pulse because we thought it was sixty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well I just checked again this morning and there were actually four which if you watch my YouTube videos on YouTube dot com slash Mothman, you'll you'll see that some of them have been removed and no explanation was given. I'm working from Lon Strickler's Chicago Phantom Sightings map and it's a Google map, and so I've actually been to a few more that have actually been removed, and I have about ten that I need to go out and investigate in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Now you know, there's you've got a playlist that connects all these and yeah, the so for people who use you know, you r L short nurse.
Speaker 4: There's bit dot l y. People call it bitley.
Speaker 2: I made a bitly link for it for Chicago Mothman with a C capitalized and the M capitalized.
Speaker 4: So if you just go to bit dot l y.
Speaker 2: Forward slash capital C, Chicago capital M Mothman, it'll take you right to the playlist.
Speaker 1: Well, great, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Problem We'll put a link of that in the show notes as well.
Speaker 2: So, but that's I mean, you're spending a good bit of time out there and I are you doing this as a live interactive feed what what's your methodology?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Because yeah, So what I'm doing is I will I go out to the scene and I record a Facebook Live video and it goes out to all my friends and followers, and then I can take some of their questions at if they occur at the location. So you know, it's just trying to be open source, trying to you know, reach out to people. So that's where I first will put the video is on Facebook Live. That's where I record it, and then I take the video and just put it up on YouTube after that.
Speaker 4: That's neat I've ever used Facebook Live.
Speaker 2: Are you getting several people involved, like actively asking questions most of the time, or how does that work?
Speaker 1: Well, it depends, because you know, I don't have certain times when people know that I'm going to be out. It's you know, I'm a fourth grade teacher, so it's whenever I have a free weekend to drive out to Chicago, then it occurs. So you know, I can't I can't have you know, I can't give people an advanced warning that I'm going to be out hunting matha. Yeah, but you know, yeah, we do get a fair amount of people watching the videos, and that's partly because of the way Facebook treats Facebook Live. They really give it prominence when you go live on Facebook, so a lot of people see it.
Speaker 4: How far of a drive this time for you?
Speaker 1: It's well, it depends, you know, it's about two hours generally. Yeah, each way.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a commitment to checking these places out. Do you stop and get some deep dish pizza?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, certainly there's benefits to going to Chicago, of course, and I take advantage of them whenever I can. But yeah, like some sometimes it's like, oh man, not like I'm gonna get ten done. You know, I'm gonna get ten done this Saturday right, and I just go out there and and you know, I'm eating bagels in the car and throwing papers around. It's, you know, my trashmobile. But you know, cause it's really it really is something that's important to me. And I'm I'm kind I kind of wonder why more people don't do it. You know, if the information is freely available about what's been reported, let's get out there and see if we can and dot some eyes and cross some teas. And if we can't, that's still going to teach us something. I mean, all right, I really wanted Mothman to jump out of the bushes, you know, just to get a little nibble or something, right, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Karen and I've talked a little bit about this because I mean, what you're doing fits into a couple of well several different sort of categories of activity. You're, on the one hand, you're doing investigation, but you're also doing what sort of is being called dark tourism these days, right.
Speaker 5: Like religion tripping and legend tripping.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's several names for it.
Speaker 2: But and I've done it too, I think, you know, I've talked a few times, and I'm probably going to do an art Bill sort of retrospective tribute slash discussion episode. And that all started for me back in a road trip I took in nineteen ninety seven to sort of go see some of the real UFO sites that you know, I had been looking into for years. But it's the imperative to go out there and see for yourself. It's not necessarily whether you're going to see Mothman. Yeah, it lets you actually what did this place look like, What would it have been like at night? What would it have been like when the conditions were that, you know, are there discrepancies between the alleged story and what I'm actually seeing on the ground that I think it's a really important thing to go check out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just want to find something, you know, I want to just find an answer, and I'm not wedded to it has to be a monster, you know. Years back, I went to a paranormal conference and at the end of the conference on that Sunday, everybody was just meeting to say goodbye, and then somebody ran in and they were like, oh my god, I saw this creature outside. It's huge, and they had a picture of it that they projected on the big screen that all the speakers had been using and I'm like, that thing looks like Ayena. And my husband and I had a little bit of time to you know, go out and you know before we had to rush home, and he's like, hey, do you wanna do you want to just you know, drive around see if we can find it, And I'm like yeah, And we found it, but it was a mainjy fox and it was really sad that it wasn't this huge hyenail like creature that it appeared to be in the picture. But that was really something that that taught me an important lesson, which is photos can be really deceiving. And you know, we were able to get video footage follow this poor little guy around, but then when we came back to the conference, there were a few people that were still there and we were like, oh, we got footage, and they were like really excited, but when they saw you know what it really was, they were almost mad. And I was disappointed by that reaction because I was like, look, we went out there and we followed the lead, and I just felt like, you know, okay, it's not a monster. I wanted to be a monster too, but we got something and I just I just think that more people need to get out there and just look for their own answers. And I think as far as the paranormal goes, you know, I'm not saying that extraordinary things don't happen. I have had some extraordinary experiences in my life and seeing some things that here too. Here to four. You know, I cannot explain by any any means that that we currently know. So I know those things exist, but I just wonder, you know, we can get out there and we can see, you know, what is going on and and learn from that no matter what. And you know, I I think in the paranormal, these experiences that you have are very personal. You might not be able to repeat them in the lab. That doesn't mean they don't happen. But I think we got to separate the wheat from the chaff. And you know, that's what I'm most interested in doing. And that's why I'm still talking about the Chicago moth Man.
Speaker 5: Neat speaking, which can you tell us a little bit a bit about some of the major sightings of the Chicago Moffman, Like, what is it the people are describing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there was one in the summer of twenty seventeen where a photo was captured, and so I was really excited about that one that was in Melrose Park, Illinois. So what's been reported is pretty similar, although there are some sightings that have been you know, lumped in together, but where it's like, hey, that sounds more like a UFO, or hey, that was you know, some kind of bug creature. But what's been described as like a seven or eight foot tall, dark figure, usually thin, and has wings that can be winked to a wingspan of about ten feet, and can have like a crest on the head, like almost like a pointed head, and of course the red glowing eyes. So that's what's been reported for the most part. And the Melrose Park sighting that was compelling because it had a photo. But when I went to that site, this was a turning point for me because I started to see that things weren't lining up, that they had a photo that went with the sighting. So in this location, Winston Plaza in the Melrose Park area of Chicago, Land is a strip mall, there's no other way to say it. And this woman had been in this woman who reported the sighting had been in the Best Buy and just came out of the best Buy, she said, and then this, you know, huge creature, you know, seven eight foot that's huge, ten foot wingspring span. I mean, if it's close enough where it is as she reported, whooping down in front of you, you know that's gonna be huge. And so she reported that. You know, she came out of the best Buy, this thing swooped down in front of her in daylight, and then she snapped a photo. She was able to fumble in her purse, you know, grab her phone and snap a photo in time before it it flew out of eyesight. Now, so I went there, and you know, I'm disappointed when I go to locations and it's not creepy enough for me, I gotta say. But it was like just your regular runther, the most stripmall and so busy. That's that's another thing that that became clear to me as I researched these cases, you know, sixty some cases. Wow. But why aren't there more reports is my question? Because those areas where the Mossman has been reported for the most part, are very very busy. In parking lot there. You know, I did stay there for quite a while because what I wanted to do is reframe the shot so I could find the exact area of the parking lot where the witness took it. And so just the cars coming at you, I mean, it was so overrun with people. So that's what started to you know, turn my mind to see that, you know, other than just the report of, you know, this extraordinary creature, it's implausible that, you know, if it is so big, more people wouldn't have reported it. So I spent a long time in that parking lot, and I was able to frame up the shot and saw that it was really far away from the best Buy, you know, like mid parking lot, So even that didn't match up with the witness report of coming right out of the bus by there it is here I'm taking the photo. You know, it took like a minute or two to get from the best Buy, you know, all all way to where the shot was taken. The other thing, of course, I noticed is Melrose Park is right in the pathway of O'Hare Airport, one of the busiest airports in the world, and as I was hanging out there, I saw dozens of planes, and so then I took a photo as well of the planes up in the air. And when you compare it with the blurry photo that's purportedly mothman. You can clearly see the distinctive shape of an airliner. And I was like, why isn't anyone else saying this? It's I mean, why do reports like that just stay out there and they're not questioned? This really bothered me. And I know that not all paranormal enthusiasts and researchers are that lacks of daisical about it. But you know, I think when you start seeing that the reports you know, don't match up, you know, that's your alert to hey, you know, maybe we need to do something about this as the paranormal community and call out when things don't match up, because if we're really interested in the essential questions, and these things that are paranormal are so hard to quantify and qualify, you know, there's just so vague and and so you know, so so hard to capture. You know, you can't waste your time on something that seems to be obviously a hoax or or somebody just fooling around with you, uh, you know, making a bogus report.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, so wow, you touched on a lot.
Speaker 2: Of stuff there in that In that that that section of your conversation because one of the things I wanted to talk about was the source for this material. A lot of this is coming from Lown Strictler's Fantoms and Monsters website, and he's sort of you mentioned the idea of a clearinghouse, he's sorts as a clearinghouse, and he's he's seeking out sightings. So he's asking for people if you've seen something, say something basically related to this. And I've seen this reported as a sort of a flap of mothman sightings or you know, you know, as a lot. But sixty three sightings in Chicago, even though it sounds like a lot, is not a lot, because there's about three million people living in Chicago, and then in the metro area there's like ten million people in the surrounding area, and sixty three people reporting something strange is less than insignificant.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just nothing, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, even if they're absolutely sincere, it doesn't really represent a huge number of sightings. But I I'm it's the way he's gathering that information. And you know, we'll probably reach out to Laan and see if he wants to talk to us as well. But these you know, if everybody is sincere about what they're seeing, I still have a lot of questions because it's a really, really populated city, and not only is it populated, but it's populated twenty four hours a day. Yeah, I mean Atlanta. I'm from the Atlanta area, and Atlanta shuts down at night. But over the past couple of years, I spent a lot of time in Chicago for work.
Speaker 4: First of all, let me just say I love that city a lot.
Speaker 2: It is a great I know it gets a bad reputation as being like a murder capital, but it really is a wonderful place where you can do twenty four hours a day, you can find something to do. There are people in the street. I never had a bad experience. I mean, it was just great.
Speaker 4: I love that place, and it's got so much history.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I'm a fatigue person who went to some of the roughest neighborhoods and never had a problem. You know, I'm not saying don't be cautious, you know, but you know, any anywhere Mothman was cited, I went, and you know, some so some of these areas are are notorious, but you know, I think I think the murder capital idea has been overblown. You're not going to be acted on the street. If I wasn't, you'll probably be fine.
Speaker 2: No, that's the It goes back to that high number of murders, and then you have to look at per capital, you know, for the population. Obviously, every murder is a tragedy for someone. But but uh, I just these Mothmann slidings, I just don't know how significant they are. And I just I mean, when you think about like Chicago has such a haunted history, my gosh, there's so many ghost stories around Chicago and legends and so many interesting Yeah, I've always wanted to check out the resurrection Mary stories.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. And one of my inspirations for my Haunted History tour was Richard Richard Crowe, who we lost just a few years ago, but he started the whole Haunted history tour business in the US in nineteen seventy three, and that's right around the time they were starting the Haunted tours of London as well. So, uh, you know, nineteen seventy three, you know, that's that's a long time. But there's just such extraordinary stories from every city. Now, as you say, Blake, some of those areas are just so overrun with people night and day because you know, as I said, you know, when I was doing my MOTHMN videos, I would usually take like a whole day and then stay out really late to try to get in as many of the locations as I could. And even you know late at night, there's people on the street everywhere. So yeah, my question is why why haven't more people seen this thing if it is so huge? And my other issue is out when there's obvious there's obvious problems with an account, why is this not addressed? Because like I was talking about with the Melrose Park Melrose Park photo, you know, people just take it on face value. Now, there was there were a couple of other reports from from a rougher neighborhood in Chicago. Uh, and I didn't realize that, Oh, there's two reports from that same corner. So I actually went back there twice on a couple of different occasions. Now, one of the reports said that it was from a police officer, and that police officer said he filed a police report, and so I was really excited about that because if there indeed was a police report, then you know that's something we can Act on that's something we can get, and so I was really looking forward to talking to Alan and the other members of the Chicago Phantom Task Force, of which I was a member for a while until I started waxing skeptical uh and was kicked out. But so my my question to them was like, Hey, who's followed up on this, who has asked for the report? And what was the response, because you know, I don't know exactly how it works in Chicago. I've gotten police reports here in the Milwaukee area. UH, and I know I know from freedom of information uh, freedom of Information Act requests that I've done that there. Wow, there's there's like a certain way you have to approach it to get the information. So that's why I wanted somebody to come forward to me and tell me, well, who did you approach what happened, so I could follow up so that we could get this thing. And unfortunately no one and then the group could get back to me. Another person in the group that I still maintained contact with told me that it was known that there was no police report. It was just like widely known among the group members that you know that part of the report was bogus. Well, My question is, if someone is going to tell you they filed a police report or even state that they're a police officer, and you can't track that down and verify it, you know, why would you, Why would you listen to any of the rest of the account. It's got to be bogus. So I went through my own sources to see if I could track down that police report, and never was able to find a report that matched that description. Was able to find out about other reports that happened that day, but it looks like that report does not exist. And again, why why isn't that report suspect? Then? And in Lone Strickler's book about the Chicago moths Man sightings, he even talks about that case in particular, and his argument is, well, anybody that's you know, willing to lay down their life for, you know, the people in Chicago, you know, I'm going to believe what he says. And I'm like, well, that's great if that person's really a police officer, right, but how do we know that this person isn't just opposer If you cannot get access to a report that he says he filed, that yeah, that.
Speaker 4: Actually, that's a pretty common thing.
Speaker 2: In historical ghost cases too, where people say we follow a police report or also there was a Pinkerton investigation or some other well known detective agency and investigated, and then you never can find any evidence that that was actually true. So yeah, it's a way of adding veracity to the report without actually having to do anything. It's like it instantly gives a credibility, except that maybe it's not true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I spoke, I'm going to look into it.
Speaker 1: Right exactly well, And you know, my experience from doing historical research for my Haunted History tour is, you know, going the other way, where I'm looking back into any documentation I can find and seeing what weird stuff pops up, and that can be really compelling. Although, of course, in Milwaukee they trashed all the historical police reports back in the seventies, so I can't go there for at least historical police reports. So sad, because when you find something in the newspaper, you want to be able to track it down. You know. I have been able to use city directories and other means to verify parts of different accounts in the stories that I use in my Haunted History tours and presentations. But yeah, I would love to have those police reports to see, you know, if there's anything in there. Can you imagine some of the cool stuff you might find?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yoh.
Speaker 2: I ran into the same thing when I did my Watertown ghost research for a ghost photo.
Speaker 4: The National Archives had destroyed.
Speaker 2: They had I don't know how many maritime records from non military ships, just log books, but I'm sure they had a ton of interesting information in them, and they didn't have rooms, so they got rid of them. And then you know, within ten years, microfish and digitization would have taken care of the space issue, but you know now it's gone forever, right shame.
Speaker 1: And one of the things too, about you know, verifying accounts that I think is really important that you know I told other investigators is hey, hey, guys, not don't take this wrong, because we're all friends here, but I have said, look, you know there are skeptics, and you know some of them are really dogmatic. You know, some of them, I would say, are really cynics, not truly skeptical. And if you are going to do paranormal research, you have to make sure that everything that you can verify is verifiable or you know, is verified. Anything verifiable is verified. You know, you can't just take what people tell you. You know, it's great to have eyewitness testimony, but that can't be the only resource that you use. You know, you have to find things that can back it up. And if they don't back it up, you have to say so. And I said, you know, this is how you know, some paranormal enthusiasts have been duped in the in the past, like with James Randy and others who have trapped people in you know, to show the laxness, lackness, laxness sor I can say it of their so called investigation. And you know, I think if you really want to investigate the paranormal, you've got to be able to have boots on the ground. You've got to be able to actually go to the places and you know, see what you can see. So what I started uncovering with the Chicago mouth Man case is more and more inconsistencies. And we can talk about some more of those if you'd like.
Speaker 5: Sure, Sure, if you want to tell us about some of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, one person that has helped me in my investigations is Sam Moronto. He's actually the he's the Illinois director for the mutual UFO network. And so this guy is obviously interested in the field as well, very open to phenomena, and he he actually found that several of the cases that were first reported to move On, So not only Lon Strickler was taking the reports in the early days. Move On got a few of the reports as well, and Sam found that several of them were coming from the same IP addresses. And so again that's a red flag because if it's coming from the same IP, it's likely coming from the same person. And I mean, so you have a tech background, Blake, what can you add to that? Because I'm not a tech expert. I know that you are, but you know, if it's coming from the same IP, you know what does that tell you?
Speaker 2: Well, just for listeners who don't know about this, there's this idea of Internet protocol. So every item, every device on the Internet needs to have a unique address and that's called the Internet Protocol address.
Speaker 4: And so those there's a limited number of those.
Speaker 2: In fact, this we're using IP version four, which has a numerical number.
Speaker 4: I forget the number off the top of my head, but we've run out of those numbers.
Speaker 2: And so the way they've gotten around that is like a business might have one or two private addresses or like you know, personally owned addresses.
Speaker 4: But inside that.
Speaker 2: Space they have you can give out like you can duplicate addresses. Uh, and that's okay, but you could track back to a single user if they have a private IP address. So it's interesting that someone would have a private IP address because what they use is something called DHCP, which basically when you when you were with an i SP, they will give you a different address when you log on unless you pay for a static address. So for someone to have a static address and then use that to send different reports but from the same IP address suggests that they're well, it suggests one individual is sending multiple you know, claims. It's a it's a fairly reliable way of saying that someone's pulling a prank, is the bottom line.
Speaker 4: It's a good technical way of saying statistically, it's.
Speaker 2: Extremely unlikely that they would dynamically give out an IP address to random people and then those random people would get the same address and then use it. So I'd say that's a pretty reliable indicator that that the source of that information is one hoax or not multiple people within a company.
Speaker 4: For example.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so that that was that was Sam's conclusion as well. So you know, there are people in the paranormal that are digging into the nitty gritty and looking for those details because, as they say, the devil's in the details. And other things that Sam Moronto has pointed out to me is that sometimes quite often actually in the reports, the the witness will say it's a full moon or it was raining, And so every report where something verifiable was mentioned, he tracked those down and unfortunately found hey, there was no foam moon that night, or it wasn't raining or this these are these conditions existed which make it unlikely that this person was actually on a boat that day, you know, seeing seeing two mothman fly above them. You know, there there were things in the report that he could look look at and track down, and he did indeed do that. So there are investigators that are willing to put in, you know, that level of rigor, but there are others who you know, become really popular and then don't don't follow it up, just put anything out there. And my point too is hey, maybe something real is going on. I I I have taken accounts of you know, strange flying beings. I even know someone who saw something that appeared to be a pterodactyl the size of a piper cub plane. And so there are people who see extraordinary things, and perhaps there are a few of these Chicago accounts where something was seen that is unusual. But how can you find which reports, uh, you know, are are something that should be looked further into or should be fully investigated When you have you know, all of this nonsense cluttering up, uh, cluttering up you know, your database, It really muddies the water for investigators there. If something authentic and weird did go on, how would you know if you're going to take whatever report and just throw it up there as if it's truth.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you were saying earlier too that you mentioned one of the sightings was during the day, but it seems like a lot of the sightings are taking place at night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are quite a few at night, but there are daytime sightings as well. It's it's pretty much all times, all hours of the night, all hours of the day. And you know, there there's many accounts which again you read them and it sounds like somebody's creative writing project. It sounds like a movie trope, and again that's a red flag. Another thing that Sam Moronto and other investigators did is is they looked at the report for commonalities in like verb use and phrasing and found that this really looks like it's the same person. But then a friend of mine was able to interview Lanz Strickler and he did reveal that after he takes the account, he will rewrite it to sound more interesting. And to me, that's a slippery slope. You just want to take the witness account as raw as you can get it, and you know, to quote them, not wrap a story around it. So again, you know, we don't have any proof there, But like I said, it's a slippery slope if you're trying to make something exciting, you know, I think it's exciting already. You know, if we're talking about you know, an eight foot tall flying humanoid, we don't need we don't need any embellishments on that. But yeah, you know, making sure that the environmental details match up or you know, the details of the locations matched up. There there was another account that talked about the mothman landing on a basketball hoop, and so I went around and around this account was one of the handful from twenty eleven. And so I went around and around just trying to find where is this park, And so finally I found it. It was like a little speck between two buildings. It was like a kiddy playground for toddlers, and so I did find it, but no basketball hoop. Now, you know, you might say, well, you know, maybe they had one there in twenty eleven, but again it was oriented towards this playground, towards toddlers, and there wasn't much room. So I find it implausible that there was a basketball hoop, or you know, even that it could have it could have held a mothman.
Speaker 5: Doesn't play basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if memory serves, that's also the same one where they talked about a five story building in the area and there wasn't one as well.
Speaker 1: Indeed, interesting again, I went all around trying to find a five story building. There were no five story buildings, uh, in the location. They all, you know, had three stories as the limit. So I don't know what five story building they were talking about. So again, these things have to match up up. And you know, I know that these investigators, many of them are not in the area. You know, they're not from Chicago, they're not from Milwaukee, they're not from anywhere near. But when somebody like me is willing to go to every site, you know, I would expect that maybe you take some of that information that I'm able to glean seriously and use that for your investigation, even if it doesn't it doesn't complement what you're trying to do, you know, you know, maybe you're trying to make out that you know, something extraordinary is going on, uh, and there's just not enough evidence to support that, good point.
Speaker 2: Well, aside from the discrepancies in the between the reports and what's actually physically on the ground. And you mentioned that line may have rewritten some of these, I wonder if that.
Speaker 4: May be a factor.
Speaker 2: But but what about the description of the creature itself? Are they consistent or are we were talking about is there some variety in the descriptions of what they're seeing versus, for example, what was reported in Quite Pleasant in West Virginia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're pretty consistent in that it was you know, thought to be you know, eight feet tall, some eight feet tall, ten foot wingspan. You see that a lot. And you also see the glowing red eyes in this feeling of dread. Those are our things which seem to be pretty consistent. But there are some reports, like there's one where where I actually did get to talk with a witness who the witness says that he saw, you know, something that had like a scallop bat looking wing. But when you talk to the witness, you're like, well, was this a humanoid? And he's like, you know, it really sounds like it's more of a UFO, and yet it was lumped in. And there's another report which describes like a green bug like creature jumping from a high building. So these things were just kind of rolled in there. There's also another report which talks about just seeing two red lights, and I guess they put that in there with the MOTHMN reports because of the glowing red eyes. But you know, the actual witness didn't report seeing a creature, just seeing you know, two floating red lights, which seemed mysterious, hmm.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, I guess you can't you can't get away from recognizing that this all happened right before the December fifteenth, twenty seventeen anniversary of the Silverbridge collapse in Point Play, so it was the fiftieth anniversary of that bridge collapse, which is associated with the you know, most prominent Mothman sightings, which which occurred in Point Pleasant, West Virginia from nineteen sixty six to nineteen sixty seven and then culminated, uh in that bridge collapse, which which claimed over forty people, uh, you know, on their way back home from Christmas shopping. So it was a terrible tragedy. Whether or not it's connected to the you know, Mothman, of course, is up for debate. But you know, that is something, you know, a terrible tragedy that is in the minds of you know, people that are interested in this, and so it's it's just kind of curious that that this occurred just in time for that anniversary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do you think it could be a do you think this could be a kind of transplant urban legend because of that?
Speaker 1: Boy, I mean, it's it's hard to know it. You know, you don't want to think that that anybody in the field is making anything up for for some purpose. But yeah, it's it's really hard to say. I don't know why there have been as you say, Blake, you know, there should be more reports if it's being seen in such a populated city. But still, you know, to to be so dedicated to a hoax to keep calling in sightings and we're up to sixty seven now, I mean that's curious also in itself. You know, who is so devoted to this that you know, even even after the anniversary, you know, we had several sightings and we have again and twenty eighteen it looks like it might be the same as as twenty seventeen. Is is it just that you know, it's getting some press and more people are jumping on the bandwagon. It's really hard to tell, but because right, yeah, it's it's really hard to tell. But is is there some kind of creature in Chicago? Well, you know, we don't have much to go on because again, the witnesses you contact, uh, the witness contacts are going to so few people, and you're not allowed to verify those contexts. You know, if you try to reach out to witnesses, you get some backlash from other investigators and to me, you know, anytime you're investigating something, you know, I think you would welcome people coming in to try to you know, verify you know, what you're talking about, unless you know that it can't be verified.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this kind of ties in with like the idea of pious fraud, right, We've talked a little bit about that before, almosts or talk where people report miracles, and sometimes people fake miracles because they feel like, you know, this is the kind of miracle that would happen and maybe does happen, but we need more evidence because it's it's for the better, you know, it's for the greater good.
Speaker 4: It helps, you know, give people faith.
Speaker 5: Yeah, doesn't go back to Padre Pio and his sort of ah, some of the things that he's replicated to try and improve his original claims, to try and reinforce those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's so many of those. But it happens in cryptozoology as well.
Speaker 2: It happens in ghost claims where people sometimes hoax, uh and sometimes I don't even bother to hoax, they just report, you don't even I mean, a hoax report is way easier than actually creating a fake like you know, in cryptozoology, a lot of times people will do things like bigfoot tracks or you know, fake videos, but I think in this.
Speaker 5: Case usually do that when they honestly believe in it, just trying to convince other people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really a curious thing.
Speaker 2: We probably should do another episode just discussing the sort of psychology of hoaxing.
Speaker 4: But it's a well known thing.
Speaker 2: But also people genuinely, you know, And I think maybe this is the word I'm looking for.
Speaker 4: It's the question of sincerity. When you're looking at rewritten reports online, it's really difficult to tell how sincere the reporters are. Yeah, the experiencers are, and and we all, I mean I think I don't know. I shouldn't say we.
Speaker 2: All, but a large majority of people would really sort of relish the idea of experiencing something fringey, paranormal, unusual, cryptozoological.
Speaker 4: It's it's novel.
Speaker 2: It reminds you there's something wonderful and strange in the world. It gives you a glimpse into, you know, these ideas beyond you know, our mundane, normal drudge of lives.
Speaker 1: You know, sure, yeah, get you beyond the mundane. And I can understand that. I mean, that's why anytime we go on vacation, I seek out those places where these reports have been made. But I think, you know, I don't I guess I don't understand the psychology of somebody that just wants to make something up, you know, and it's help self deceive to that level.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's so annoying for the people who care, right, like the people who would bother. I don't want to like be a Debbie Downer, you know, I want to know the truth, you know, And and I don't want people to hoax because it dilutes the pool of information out there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's like, uh, there are strange things that happen, but you know, whether they're paranol or not is really it's tough enough question without people adding fake information.
Speaker 4: To the to the things we have to sift through.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think we were on the same page with that, because you know, I'm like, there's there's enough extraordinary things that do happen, you know, I know they're elusive, but and you got to be patient, and you know, sitting through those those you know, eight to ten to twelve to sixteen hour paranormal investigations, just alone in the dark, you know, talking to yourself enter the recorder. I mean, that takes a lot of dedication to do. But you know, there are people out there who really are are interested in doing the work and I guess we have to clean our own house of the people who are muddying the waters. I think that's that's my message. And you know, that's why I'm so glad to be on today because you know, and I think it's important too that you know, this is a Skeptic magazine podcast, but that people who are in the paranormal will talk to so called skeptics because I think, you know, more of us have something in common than than not. I mean, and I think if we brought our two camps together, there'd be a lot of interesting revelations that would come out of it.
Speaker 5: Oh I agree, yeah, yeah, oh yeah, I think there's a lot of distrust on both sides.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting because watching you know, some of your discussions, I gather that you know, in Skeptic, I think this.
Speaker 4: Is true for every group that involves people, right.
Speaker 2: That they they tend to splinter and have issues with each other.
Speaker 4: And you knows, factions and different agendas and all that.
Speaker 2: But but what you know, there's there's plenty of interesting things that can unite us. It's just really hard to get people to work together. I've had that problem here in Georgia as well. I want to go on ghost tours and that sort of thing. But you know, as soon as I declare that I'm a skeptic, then they're not interested in having me shut down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is.
Speaker 4: Too bad because I'm hilarious you are.
Speaker 1: I've explained that there haven't been more puns like the puns.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'll have to wing it, so.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. The other interesting thing, though, is there are people that as as I have. You know, I'm not going to talk too much about the backlash, but I have experienced backlash, you know, for taking a skeptical position, and I won't talk about the details of that, but just to say that I also experienced others who, you know, upon seeing that you know, I was embattled, would come forward other people in the paranormal community and told me, hey, I had something similar happened to me when I expressed doubts about you know, this other case. So you know, there are people out there who who are searching for the truth. You know, they're not all hoaxers. There are people who are sincere and will do whatever they need to do to try to find answers. And you know, I'd like to see more opportunities like that. I'd like this where where those people can come together with people like you guys, and you know, try to sort this all out and get to something better, you know, get to a better form of investigation, you know, move to the next level. And I think we can really do that by working together, because you know, I guess people don't like skeptics, you know, if they're going to be just naysayers, you know, if they're just going to dogmatically say, well that's too crazy, it can't be. But if there are people who like you guys, who are just reaching out there and you know, trying to figure out what's what's real for yourself, I mean, like all of us are doing. You know, I think that that performs a great service because yeah, I really appreciate that, and I really appreciate that you asked the hard questions because that's the only way we're going to get to the truth.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we we You've heard me probably say before that I call us we're in the ghetto.
Speaker 4: Inside of ghetto, it's.
Speaker 2: Already you know, we're already a small group that are skeptics. And then within those skeptics who are interested in these sort of questions and and don't just reject it.
Speaker 4: We want to go. We care, We're interested. Yeah, exactly. It puts us in a ghetto inside of.
Speaker 2: Ghetto, so we're like in a But I'll tell you this, anytime I'm in Chicago, I'm more than willing to go look into this stuff and also eat it knof and off. And also, I would say, and I'm going to say Nonsense as well. There's a little place called Nonsense, which is sort of like a sort of.
Speaker 4: Indian fast food with curry fries. It's astonished.
Speaker 1: That would be the perfect place for us to meet out of this nonsense.
Speaker 4: It is so good.
Speaker 1: Well, we're all fighting against.
Speaker 4: You know, it's not just the pine. The food's fantastic.
Speaker 2: So they don't they're not a sponsor, but Nonsense in they Yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: My god, I love their foods so much.
Speaker 1: Let's monetize.
Speaker 5: Yes, I guess. We wanted to ask you if how are these sightings of the Chicago Moffman, how they are similar or different to the original mothman sightings, And do you think that it's possibly the same creature, if indeed it is a creature.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's what's most interesting to me is that the original Monthman sightings. You know, these witnesses came forward to the newspapers, they just didn't go to one source, and you were And it's still today. You know, many of the witnesses that are you know, still alive, you can contact and talk with them. The difference here with the Chicago moth man is, you know, something very insular is going on. You know, It's like a few witnesses have come forward to talk to me or other researchers that I know. But I think that's a big problem. You know, if there's witnesses and they talk to somebody who thinks they have an exclusive right to their story, I think that gets in the way of more research into what might may really be going on. And are there mothman type creatures? I don't know. You know, I'm not saying there are or there aren't, you know, as I as I mentioned, you know, I know people who have seen, you know, something that looks like a pterodactyl. But you know, are these real creatures or is there something else going on? You know, I don't know. I'm not saying that I'm an expert in it, but I'm saying that information should be available to everybody, and that witnesses out there should know that, you know, they can talk to more than one person to report their sighting, and if they did, I think that would benefit the field greatly. So I think that's the big difference. Also, I don't know if you guys saw this, but I was lucky enough to over spring break to go to Kent in England to do some research on another project that I'm working on, And while I was there, I'm like, Hey, what about that nineteen sixty three sighting in Kent? I should do I should do a video about that sighting. Because you know, I'm all Mothman all the time. Now, Unfortunately I do do other things and you can find more of my work too, Like you know, if you go to to YouTube dot com slash Mothman, there's more there than just Mothman. I have paranormal interviews that I've done with researchers all over the world. I also anytime I go on vacation, as I said, I stay at haunted places, so I make little haunted road trip videos. So if you're interested in paranormal travels, you might want to check out some of the videos I've made on that. So and you know, I have a podcast as well. I see you on the other side other sidepodcast dot com. So I'm interested in more than just the Mothman. But you know, since I was there in England, I thought, hey, you know, I'm going to check out the site of the nineteen sixty three Mothman siting, which is really interesting because you know, people don't think about the Mothman occurring anywhere until, you know, nineteen sixty six. But there was a sighting that was covered in many publications. And the interesting thing that I found which made me kind of reconsider John Keel as well, because of course he wrote the Mothman Prophecies about all the weirds going on in plaint Pleasant. He wrote that in nineteen seventy five. Now he also looked into this nineteen sixty three sighting and again cast it in the light of the Mothman. Of that it was this strange winged creature, but other people from Kent thought that it might be a ghost.
Speaker 4: But to be.
Speaker 1: Honest, when you read the account, it does seem more like a mothman, you know. To just let John Keel off the hook there. So there are legends of that area in the county of Kent, England, of William Turney who was the landowner in that area, very prominent landowner, and when he died he was built on a little island which is now part of a park. And so we stumbled into that park and you know, saw what we could see and did a couple of videos there. But it was interesting seeing that in the newspapers at the time, people were speculating, as you know, saying that, you know, maybe this was the ghost of William Tournay. But what was really reported was first seeing these red lights, this red light coming from the forest, and so some of the witnesses just saw these strange lights and others reported seeing this very tall creature come out of the woods, very dark, long wings, very tall, and so that really does sound like the Mothman, except for one detail. It had webbed feet, So I prefer to call it a new creature, bat duck. I mean, that's I think the bat duck. It's not really Mothman because you know, no reports other than that described web web feet. But we have Mothman and then we have bat ducks watch out for.
Speaker 5: I've had of an l man as well in Cornwall. I think it was and I'm wondering that. I think that was in the seventies, though not in the sixties.
Speaker 1: Right, that was in the seventies, and recently, I think recently, actually not recently. I have I just have, you know, boxes and boxes of all the fortyen Times magazine. That's my favorite paranormal meg And when the movie came out of the Mothman Prophecies with Richard Gear, they had a special issue I believe this was two thousand and two or two thousand and six. Anyway, they they came out with a special issue on the moss Band and they looked into the whole cornwall owl Man and feel and the you know, the reporter who wrote that article came out with the fact that that he thinks it's an art hoax. It's it's a bunch of art students that came up with this out alike creature thing that they made. And so that that was the conclusion on that one, at least in that one article.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yeah, Yeah, we love fortyen Times. It's a fascinating magazine.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and again, you know, if you're interested in the paranormal, you don't just have to go to places which you know, just slap anything up as truth. I mean you can you can find sources that have much more rigor. And forty in Times is one of those where yeah, I mean a lot.
Speaker 4: Of times and they pay, they pay, Yes, which rare?
Speaker 1: Have you written for them?
Speaker 4: Blake, Yes, yes, you have great.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that's another source that you can go to if you're really interested in the paranormal and you want the real stuff. You know, I think you'd be. It would behoove you to, you know, find some sources that put a little rigor into their investigation, and forty Times is one of them. And there's also many many organizations that take parapsychology seriously. And there's many journals as well, scientific journals about the paranormal and parapsychology, So you know, there is there is that higher quality research going on. It's just that I wanted to be I wanted to be more commonplace. I wanted to be the norm rather than the exception.
Speaker 2: Well that goes into what of our or at least my personal core values, which is Skepticism is a methodology.
Speaker 4: It's not a club, right, I mean, it's.
Speaker 2: Something that people should take on and use in whatever their field is.
Speaker 4: To try to figure out what's true and what's not true. And if you don't, you know, then how can you distinguish?
Speaker 2: I mean, you could just be enthusiastic about the stories, but that's not going to tell you whether things are really happening or not.
Speaker 1: So right, why not just read fiction then, is my argument. You know, if you're really into the very normal, you know, science is a great methodology. You know, it doesn't have to be your religion, and actually it shouldn't. You know, this whole idea of scientism. You know, there are people who take it on as a religion, and to me, they're in the similar position as you know, diet in the woe believers. We have to meet in the middle, and I'm glad that's what we're doing today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I totally agree, and that we actually I talked about that with Messimo Puliucci in a lost interview.
Speaker 4: That's one of the ones I lost. I really should have him back on again.
Speaker 2: We talked a lot about scientism and the idea of just because something is, you know, has a scientific air about it, just believing it automatically, and that's just as dangerous right side of the coin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think too that there's other approaches too. There's science, but then you know, there's also you know, cultures across the world that you know, have made discoveries, have have learned things without the benefit of science. So there are other approaches, you know, So we don't want to say that science is the only one, you know, although hey, you know I love my iPhone that you know that technology came right out of science, But you know, I think there's multiple ways to look at the world.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, so, uh.
Speaker 2: I first of all, thank you for joining us today. I think we can probably just keep talking, but we do have to wind down.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we have very good Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And we'll put links to all your stuff, your podcast and your playlist and anything else you want.
Speaker 4: To send us in the show notes.
Speaker 2: That would be great, and uh and too Lones Strickler's page and to his book and people can sort of check this stuff out themselves. And we'll reach out to Lona see if he wants to talk to us. And we're also planning to talk to Lauren Coleman, who's written a little bit about the Chicago moth Man as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm in his book actually, cool. Yeah, I'm in. I'm in that one, the the recent.
Speaker 4: One incarnate.
Speaker 1: Will Also his two thousand and two book has my one of my reports about a pterodactyl type creature and that that was the moth Man and other Curious Encounters from two thousand and two.
Speaker 5: Sweet cool.
Speaker 4: All right, So Karen, you want to take us out?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, So Allison, you know you're a listener, you know, are our final question for what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 1: Oh man, see, I should have done more thinking on that. I wanted to be so prepared on the other stiffe. Well, it's it's not the last man, Oh man, I think I think Poltergeist. Yes, poltergeist are my favorite monster. I actually know someone who who who is one of the tour guides on the City of the Dead tours in Edinburgh, Scotland, and so the Mackenzie Poltergeist is my favorite monster because there's been so many reports of uh poltergeist attacks over the years attributed to the Mackenzie polter guys. So I would say that's my favorite monster. In Grayfriars Kirkyard in.
Speaker 2: Edinburgh, Great Grayfriars Kirkyard is such an interesting story. Uh yeah, that's uh, we haven't covered that on Monster Talk, but that's not I think.
Speaker 5: I'm familiar with that one.
Speaker 1: Well, put you in touch with someone that can tell you all about it and who's also a skeptic, so uh, you might be interested in finding out more about that. But yeah, that's my favorite monster just because it seems to be you know, whether it's you know, caused by you know people, uh and and their beliefs and their expectations or what have you. I mean, they're they're certainly something weird going on there with all the scratches, burns, and bite marks that you know, there's been over five hundred reports and uh, you know, to their credit, City of the Dead will actually try to drag those people back to the office who have had experiences and take photos and take a statement. So they do have a database of of those reports.
Speaker 4: That's really intriguing. It's interesting.
Speaker 2: So uh, yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. So yeah, we could put some links to that in the show notes as well. All right, Well, thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us and all the hard work you put into this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much. I'm really glad to talk to you, and I hope this is just the first four foray of you know, paranormal investigators and skeptics coming together.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, and don't forget nonsense knofknof and lumin Aalto's if you're cogno.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let me know when you're coming into town. I would really love to meet up.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Monster Talk, this science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 5: And I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 2: Today you heard an interview with paranormal researcher Alison Jordlin. You can find links to herd podcasts and research and our show notes at MonsterTalk dot org. I really do love Chicago. I've got some great friends there, and there's such great architecture and great food. There's so much to do and see. There's museums, there's clubs.
Speaker 4: It's my kind of town.
Speaker 2: Monster Talk's an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The opinions expressed on this show are those of ourselves and our guests, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode. We strive to bring you the best in Monster related content with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, We now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org, forge slash support. That's monster talk dot org forge slash support. There, we have links to our Patreon pages as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners, and please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster Talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. As always, thanks so much for listening.
Speaker 6: Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally? Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app currently compatible with iOS, Android, PC, mac, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry Playbook. Head over to skeptic dot com, slash magazine slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite Skeptic content.
Speaker 3: Want to get Capon. Here's how you get him.
Speaker 5: He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital.
Speaker 3: You say him on A history of the mark. That's the shackle.
Speaker 4: That's how you get Copon.