Speaker 1: Ice Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Holy crap, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 3: The kids are playing or trail off.
Speaker 1: Their coaches are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, Goldplay Inn Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee.
Speaker 3: I'm really hoping this monster energy drink kicks in in the next few minutes because I can't be the only one tired today. I stayed up later last night than I usually do. And I know if you watched that game last night, Louisville on the road against Virginia Tech, the nine o'clock tip to the game ending a little bit after eleven I think it was, and I was probably wide awake until about I don't know, two o'clock in the morning. And I'm sure not that, I'm sure that's I'm sure I'm in the minority there, because that's just I have this issue where once it gets late and I realize, uh, oh, I'm not that tired and it's already late, I better fall asleep, and then your mind does this thing where it prevents you from being able to fall asleep. And then for me, there are some things you can take to help you fall asleep. But you know, if you pop one of one of those gummies, maybe something else, whatever your vices, that can help you relax and fall asleep. If you do it that late into the night, really end of the morning, you're talking about really dragging ass the next day. So I'm running on fumes. But man, sometimes you need to pick me up. And the one and only mister also Montgomery, the travel chief himself, he provided to pick me up.
Speaker 4: You're not running on much sleep either.
Speaker 5: No, No, I think I went to bed. I think I fell asleep at like two o'clock. Yeah, it was, it was late. Got here, got to the office about like eight thirty. We had a bit baby Faces interview today.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 2: That's pretty easy.
Speaker 4: I saw a shout it out play.
Speaker 2: Baby Faces podcast. You all know.
Speaker 5: We had a TNA World champion, Joe Hendry. Say his name and he appears, and he's one of the more popular guys in the business.
Speaker 2: Right now. We know TNA is now kind.
Speaker 5: Of in bed with wwe ww uh kind of bought out NA or they they're looking to buy TNA.
Speaker 3: I mean, how about a baby face this podcast plug before we get three minutes in.
Speaker 5: Look at that well, I mean it works later a wrestler sun last night.
Speaker 3: I know you were shocked at the big Papa Punk. Yes, we need to get to that. Coming up here shortly, because I was I actually thought people I thought people were just making a joke about the name. I didn't realize it was actually his son, which makes it kind of funny.
Speaker 4: But anyways, we are both here.
Speaker 3: We were tired, now we're not because we're we've got a jolt of energy, some good vibest up.
Speaker 4: In what way? Both ways?
Speaker 2: All of them?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 4: Good to know.
Speaker 3: U's your imagination. It's called Fee and Company. No imagination needed there, that's really us. My name is Nick Coffee. He's Austin Montgomery, and we'll take you up till six o'clock if you want to join us on the show. We will open up the phone lines coming up here shortly because I do want to get thoughts from you guys as far as sort of what we do with last night, and that's probably not even the right way to set it up, because I mean Louisville one, and it was a nerve racking game. Definitely felt like I was about to have a heart attack, and I kind of processed a loss, not like into the world there's no way they win, but man, it just didn't feel like they were going to be able to pull it out. And sure enough they did, and I mean they never even ended up trailing, but it was close. But we'll talk about it. But again, if you guys want to join us, we'll open up the phone lines coming up here shortly you can all the.
Speaker 2: Masters are pulling out.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, you were on fire four or four minutes in, four minutes in, you're on fire.
Speaker 5: If you had texted me last night, you sent out, you sent out, you sent out the text, you sent out the bats signal. I felt like that was help, you said, I don't love this feeling right now.
Speaker 3: It was wild for you to play the role with me, as usually I'm the guy like, why don't you calm down? Man?
Speaker 2: Usually put in the fire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I didn't. I wasn't you know.
Speaker 3: I guess you can just read me because I was probably more so panicking and worried than I appeared. But yet you mentioned they got this, You're not worried, and I'm like, well, okay, then we should be.
Speaker 4: We should be all right, and uh.
Speaker 3: They pulled it out and again, well we'll break down sort of some takeaways because and let me get to it, I'll say, because I want to make sure I am very precise here as far as how I lay it out, because I don't want anybody to get the perception that I'm worried that like this team is not as good as we think they are, and that they're they're they've run out of gas, and it's just, you know, the best basketball that we've seen from this group is actually in the rear view, Like I don't believe that, but there were some things that were concerning, but big picture, just to get it out there as we start the show, every team great, really good, somewhat good, even bad, has games like last night where it just it wasn't there night and Louisville honestly, we were spoiled as fans because I know they lost to Georgia Tech, and I know that they nearly lost to EKU had it not been for the Noah Waterman bucket late. But I mean outside of the beginning of the game, which what a weird roller coaster. I mean, couldn't have started any better, eleven to nothing, and then from then on, I think, and again, we all love Pat Kelce. The guy is a made man around here. What a what a phenomenal job he's done. I'm doing all the ass kissing right now because what I'm about to say is not really any critic It's not criticism. It's not like I've had any type of change in my mind. You know, there's no change as far as how I feel about him, this team, and even the future of louisvill basketball. But it's just something that really hasn't been said before, Like last night was the worst this team has looked under Pat Kelsey. They still won, though, and it's nice to be battle tested like that when you really have rolled through a lot of your road games. I mean, Louisville ended up with I believe, the second largest average margin of victory in road games this season. I mean, they weren't really in late game situations where they had to make big plays to win, and last night you didn't want to be there, but they were, and they knew it wasn't their night. They were gassed, it was a mess, but they hung on found a way to win. So, you know, I think we saw this team really in a way we have it all year and it can happen.
Speaker 4: It's one game they still won.
Speaker 3: It's not a loss, but it was just a weird and kind of unusual thing to see because you know, they just didn't really have I mean, they didn't have a whole lot of juice. And it was almost as if you could you could you could see that they knew, hey, they're they're fighting, but they were just they just didn't have the same edge that we've seen this team have really for the majority of January, in most of February.
Speaker 4: But again, they found a way to win.
Speaker 3: And that alone, I mean again, it's it's it's probably a real stretch to say that this team is feeling great after last night, because you know, they know that they didn't play well, and they and and I'm I'm sure they're not thinking about point spread, margin of victory. That's probably not you know, something they go into the to the game thinking about as far. I mean, I'm sure the players are aware of the spread. They're aware that Virginia Tech stinks, but you know that's not something that Pat Kelsey's probably got on the board before they walk out to you know, take the floors. Hey, we got to win by this many points, so we're gonna fall on the net. But despite it being just a rough night for really everybody, I mean, Chucky ended up having a really good game when it comes to just the stats. Now, the turnovers were an issue, and that's something that you know, he's had I think three straight games with five or more turnovers or something like that. But in the end, he was still five of twelve, made all four of his free throws, had fifteen points and six assists, and you know, I'd say he had the best night of anybody. But again that's saying something because it just wasn't a great night really for anybody. So it happens, and I'm sure these guys in a way feel I guess relieved to know that they were able to survive and get out of Blacksburg with a win. But they also I feel like, at least should I don't know if they do, but I feel like they should have some level of confidence now that, Hey, even when we can have a night like that where.
Speaker 4: Threes just aren't falling.
Speaker 3: Rain Smith will never in my opinion, I mean, I don't know this for certain, but I have a hard time thinking Rain Smith will ever have another night where he just simply can't buy at three point shot and rain was getting good looks. He was one of nine, and I felt like every time he shot it, I knew it was going to not only miss, but it was going to be short, Like he just didn't have his legs and those kind of things happened. So like they know that Chucky Chucky had more turnovers than he typically does. He missed a wide open layup and he just fell down twice and turned it over in crunch time. Trey Oure gave you some good minutes here and there last night and did some positive things, but you know, had the breakaway lay up and was anticipating contact and just like lost the ball up in the air like he airballed a floater, which is he airballed a floater layup, which is pretty hard to do. I mean, Terrence Edwards made some big shots late, and I mean some real big shots late, but other than that, he was not great and just didn't have a good night. Didn't look comfortable, he still looks winded. I don't know if he was one that had the flu or what it was, but he looked he looked gas gased, I should say, so, Javon Hadley, you know, not a bad night, but I kind of thought he didn't give you the same edge you typically get, although he did make a phenomenal defensive play late in the game. You know, James Scott, I didn't like he got scored on a couple of times, but he was actually pretty solid now that I think about it.
Speaker 4: James Scott, he only.
Speaker 3: Made one of his three free throws, but he was six of seven from the floor, big shots, late, big dungs, I should say, for thirteen points. So again, these guys know that not a single one would say that they played anywhere close to what they hold themselves to as far as their individual standard. But yet they found a way to win, So there can be some growth there. And again, repetition is important in every aspect of life, certainly as in basketball as well. You now can at least say this team was on the road back against the wall. Clearly nothing was really working, and they found ways to win. So I'm not going to shine it up as you know something that we can because again, as I always say, doesn't have to just be one complet elite side or the other multiple things.
Speaker 4: A variety of things can be true.
Speaker 3: And I think there are some positives you can take just knowing that it didn't look it didn't look good, but they found a way to get it done. But also there were some things that are worrisome. Now you can determine if you're really worried or if you're thinking it's, you know, a flute kind of thing, and hey, they were due for that kind of game, because it really hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 4: And when I say it, it.
Speaker 3: Sounds as if I'm being dramatic or over the top, and I don't mean for it to sound that way, but it's just the truth. I think after the eleven and oh start eleven to nothing start, that was the worst we've seen Pat Kelsey's team play here at Louisville. That's not call nine on one. This thing's broken. I mean, who knows how it's going to play out. But I'm just saying like we hadn't. I don't know if there's any game where we would say that again, other games that you lost and you got beat down, it was recently into the injury issues, or you just knew you were playing a really, really good team. So like last night, again, I'm sure there are mixed emotions, mixed feelings within the fan base, and that's that's expected because you know, not everybody's going to feel the exact same way.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: For me, again, I think there's a couple of things, in fact, if three specific things that I'm going to get to coming up here when we get back from our first break that I'm at least gonna be paying attention to in these last few games, just because I do think I'm starting to sense a little bit of a pattern here, and that's a little worriesome. But again, I can't tell you if it means that we should be alarmed, because again, at the end of the day, this team still has proven in the vast majority of the games we've watched them play who they are now. Again, competition can't do anything about that. You haven't really been challenged by a good team in a while. You were challenged by a bad team last night, and that, of course, you know that can that can be a worry for fans, But I'm trying to stay balanced. If you can't tell right, there's things that can be worrisome. But also I know this team, I know Rain Smith is not gonna have nights like that. I know Chucky unless he's dealing with something we don't know about, like that's probably gonna be a late game. Well, I guess was it twice? He I know he fell down twice and turned it over and I think actually know he tried to split the defense once and I don't remember if he fell down, but he ended up yea, he tripped.
Speaker 5: And they didn't call that, and Jim Baheim was like, yeah, they're not gonna call Yeah.
Speaker 4: And they shouldn't have.
Speaker 3: I mean, that was just a risky it's it's a risky play and a lot of times a guy like Chuck he can get away with it. But you know, last night he he didn't. And then and then late he he just fell down once. I mean just just kind of was was going going to his uh, going to his left, and he was kind of getting pushed a little bit outside. And I think because he's he's pretty good it it. He doesn't look like a physical guard, but he'll he'll get his hip. He'll meet you hip for hip, if you know what I'm saying, and he'll he'll trying to think of the.
Speaker 4: Right way to describe it.
Speaker 3: He doesn't get a body on him, he doesn't hook, but he'll use what frame he has his physicality that he does have to just get around you. Because once you get somebody on your hip, all it takes is you to get a little bit of of a of a of a lead on him, if you know what I mean. Yeah, and then you just put that ass out there and then they got a vaulue and chuck. He's usually pretty good at that, where he will either really really uh sell his hip and they'll either foul him or they'll back off to not get the foul, and then he's right there for a bucket.
Speaker 4: So he was doing his typical stuff. It just didn't work out.
Speaker 3: So I feel like the late game errors that he had, I mean in the miss layup, like that's very uncharacteristic. And until he does that, you know consistently, I'm going to assume that that's that's an outlier. But yeah, I forgot what it's like.
Speaker 2: To be.
Speaker 3: In a weird place mentally when you're because Louisville, I mean, the Georgia Tech game that's stunk, but that was kind of like, all right, you're on a heater, Like eventually this team was gonna come down to earth. And I feel like Georgia Tech really had a big, big factor in them winning that game. Credit to them, and in fact, I mean they've I mean they're not good, but like they can mess around and beat some teams that are at least believed to be solid for the ACC. I mean, they beat Clemson, they beat Louisville, they got Pittsburgh last night, which I don't think Pitt's great, but they should be better than they are so last night though, I mean, this is one of my biggest takeaways from the game all around.
Speaker 4: Every you know, there's a lot to unpack him. We'll certainly do it today, but.
Speaker 3: Takeaways from the game top to bottom, not just from the Louisville side, not just from the Virginia Tech side, not just from the broadcasters who Beheim. I mean, I kind of love him, but I kind of can't stand him in a way. And then West Durham is such a pro, but like he needs to tell Beaheim, like, look, I don't know if you're blind, old man, but like it clearly went off his finger. Yes, Like I think Wes Durham has an obligation in that role to like to the audience that's listening to him, to like, let us know that you are not either blind like him or maybe Beheim had Virginia Tech money line, because clearly the ball went off of and Pat Kelsey got hot because it hit the guy's finger right in front of the ref.
Speaker 2: And he literally his finger. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So again, there's a lot, a lot to unpack from last night. I about the guy doing L's Down with some extra zest. Did you see that?
Speaker 1: That was saucy?
Speaker 2: That was the best dozes down I've ever seen do that?
Speaker 4: Diva?
Speaker 3: I mean, he is, he's got some energy about him. Did you see they found him on Twitter?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they found him.
Speaker 2: He's he's handling it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: It was like, man, I was into it, thought we had it. You guys are good, And I'm like, how you how can you want me to not like this guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Exactly, you love him.
Speaker 3: So anyways, with all that said, the one thing that I believe, you know again, I'm looking at it from not just the look, because I could I can micro analyze everything about Louisville, and I'll try not to do that today because I don't think they'd be great for radio. However, the biggest overall takeaway among many was that Virginia Tech. Yes, they made some big shots late or throughout the game. They made eleven threes, that's how they were in it. But man, they suck. I mean, they did some good action in the half court. Actually felt like they were really well coached last night, with really good half court sets. Really, I mean, Louisville could have been better defensively obviously, but they did some good action to kind of catch them off guard. They you know, they did some really good stuff in the half court. I always felt like Mike Young is really good at half court offense, has really good sets, and he just now doesn't have great players. And you know, Virginia Texas school that will fall behind in this new world. So they're but like their turnovers, some of them, I mean, I couldn't believe it. And you know, you give Louisville credit when you when the team turns it over, no matter how they do it, it's a credit to the defense to an extent. But some of those Turmers turnovers for Virginia Tech last night. I mean, like, what are you doing? And I'm happy they did it. I mean just throwing it out of bounds. I mean in that late play, it didn't seem like some great defensive play, but man, to have that switch there right out of the time, I mean, that was brilliant. And I heard Pat Kelsey last night in his postgame radio interview giving Brian Klohman, basically the DC, the defensive coordinator for Louisville, a lot of credit for strategizing to have that switch there. And I think twice at the end putting length on. Was it stein Reg Steiner reck Steiner, Yes, And that's what threw me off. He is the son of Big Papa Pump Scott Steiner, former wrestling legend, and I just thought because his name was Kinna Steiner reck Steiner, that people were making the reference and I got it. And then I later learned after the game that it was actually his son, which is kind of funny.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but reck Steiner twice ended up committing really stupid turnovers. Again credit to Louisville, but like I think James James Scott switching on him with the mask, I think just scared him to where he was gonna throw a pass across the court through it.
Speaker 4: In the nosebleeds.
Speaker 3: And then and then the other time. It was just really savvy to have Hadley there. Was it Hadley at the end?
Speaker 5: What this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was Hadley at the end.
Speaker 3: Pickpocket who just you know was there And it's like they weren't expecting it. So I'm very happy the Virginia Tech stunk last night.
Speaker 4: And again, like.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna dwell on it too much, but they made a lot of open threes last night. They shot forty two percent eleven of twenty six meeting the Hokies did.
Speaker 4: But do you know how many open threes they missed?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I feel like nearly every three point shot they took make or miss was wide open. Now, some of them weren't wide ass open, as if like nobody was near him, but there were somewhere like you got to get a hand of and they and they didn't. And that's where I just feel like they were fatigued. They were flat, They didn't have the energy, and that happens, I mean, if we see it, like I'm actually really really looking forward to seeing what happens against Pittsburgh on Saturday. Not because you know, a close win for Louisville would make me, you know, panic, But Pittsburgh is a team that does have better players than Virginia Tech. They're clearly a much better team, and you know, they've proven to be a solid team. They just keep crapping away every year. It seems like they crap away chances to go to the tournament. So there's a few things, and I'll talk about this on the other side, there's a few things that have lingered in the last three games, specifically that have been resulting in a loss. In fact, I don't know if it's even safe to say, I don't even know if it'd be accurate.
Speaker 4: To say that you've played like poorly last night. You did, But notre Dame, Florida State Virginia Tech.
Speaker 3: We've seen flashes of you know, what this team has done to put themselves in the position they're in to be a top twenty five team, top twenty team in the rankings. But I just I really hope that they haven't run out of gas. I hope that's not the case. All Right, We'll talk about a lot of other things today. Kentucky is an action tonight against Oklahoma, and I haven't seen an update since earlier today, but I did see that both Jackson Robinson and Lamont Butler were probable for tonight, which has to be good news for Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Some of the things we'll get into some potential changes to the college football playoff seating, and we've talked about the ACC openings because there's already three and there may be more. But it sounds like according to CBS Sports, they had a good rundown earlier today with there's some coaches out there that I don't think you would say, man, they're on the hot seat. But the hot seat's different now with this world of college basketball so different now than it was when all these guys got their jobs. Like, it's not really about the hot seat, it's about Okay, are you burned out? Can you do it? So we're loaded the rest of the way. Stick with us. It is Coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: That's right, it's Nick Coffee, Coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Austin Montgomery, the travel chief, alongside it. If you guys want to join us on the show, phone lines are now open five h two five seven one seventy nine hundred. I'm genuinely interested to hear what you guys think about last night, because I do think this is one of those games where I'm sure you feel maybe maybe some things you were worried about, angry about during the game, you cooled off a little bit once it came to an end. But certainly a game that I don't think is comparable to any of the others when it comes to this Louisville team. And that I mean, I say that more so just as a statement than you know, a sign of something. But I believe a lot of things can be true in situations. Last night certainly worrisome just to see this team play the way we've never seen him play before, flat uncharacteristic turnovers, just looked gassed. And now I don't think it was as they were out there just sleepwalk and they came out phenomenal. Levin Is you could not have had a better start, and then they just kind of hit a wall. A little bit, and it just felt like from midway through the first half on not like they were going to I mean, in moments, it did feel like that they lost a momentum and Virginia Tech had it and they were good because Virginia Tech kept getting wide open shots and they had moments to kind of really go on not a big run, but just you know, take advantage of Louisville struggling, and they would then just give the ball back like it was a weird game for a variety of reasons. One, Virginia Tech they were getting really whatever they wanted offensively, but when they weren't, they were just giving the ball away.
Speaker 4: Charity.
Speaker 3: They're a very charitable group that Mike Young has there in Blacksburg. So FABO two five seventy nine hundred is the number again, if you guys want to give us a call, text line Ellenn Federal Credit Union text line fib OH two six five three zero seven ninety members get more at Ellenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LENFCU dot com. So I mentioned yesterday that I'm spoiling my kids and I'm I'm hoping that it doesn't lead to them just assuming they can. They can, they can get whatever they want. And last night my son Moose was was super excited when it comes to getting his PlayStation. I mean, he ran it. So I was home already, my wife came home with the kids. I was in I was in the other room, and he ran upstairs, and I didn't realize that she wanted me to that she wanted me to leave the door shut because she was gonna, you know, I guess, unveil it to him. Well, he runs in the house looking for me, knowing he has a surprise, and he runs in his room and he doesn't know where I am, but I hear him and he just is get little his little voice of excitement, daddy play station. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And it was the all I need hearing that made me so happy.
Speaker 3: But also it was like, all right, well, now I'm gonna probably get him everything he ever wants, because I love making my kids happy.
Speaker 4: But anyways, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't know because when I played video games when I was young, long long time ago, and I was never really a gamer.
Speaker 4: I never had to download a game. I had a physical game. I didn't know it took that long to download a game.
Speaker 5: It has to download and then you have to install it, yeah, which takes like any other could take forever.
Speaker 3: So I downloaded NBA two K for him, which is what he wanted to play, and it was downloaded by the time he got home, and then I had to install it, so it took forever. So he goes to bed still hasn't installed. So finally, as the game ends, I go in his room to shut it off and I see that it finished. So I sat down in his gaming chair and I'm obviously way too big for it, and I played NBA two.
Speaker 4: K for an hour and a half.
Speaker 3: Nice, I mean, has I'm sure it's happened before, but it's got to be rare for somebody at the age of thirty six nearly thirty seven to then get into gaming. I feel like people who are adults that are into gaming and it's a hobby of theirs, it's something they really enjoy. It's probably something they've been doing since they were kids. Right, It's never too late to start. Yeah, I'm probably not gonna get it. Why you're so tired, I'm telling you, Like, because then I realized, okay, wow, now it's twelve forty five one o'clock in the morning, and then I went and set in the recliner, tried to relax, couldn't do it. I was up way too late and I've been running on fumes today. But hey, it's okay. I mean it would have been a much worse day and morning and even night of course too, all the way around.
Speaker 4: It would have been a lot worse.
Speaker 2: I love that you have the Dad recliner.
Speaker 4: Oh I got the Dad recliner. It's my throne.
Speaker 3: But it would have been a lot worse had all this, you know, had me staying up late, not being able to sleep, being tired and it and it be a louis a loss from yesterday, but it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It was a win.
Speaker 3: It wasn't pretty, but they got it done. And I'm not going to give you a win as a win because anytime you and I'll reset this later because I know people on the text line, even have people on Twitter last night trying to set me up. They were throwing the bait out there about the whole well is a win because I've got some thoughts about you know what that actually means when people say it, and I think you can figure it out for yourself.
Speaker 4: But anyways, let's get to the Boe lines.
Speaker 3: FIBO two seven seventy nine is the number. Let's welcome in, Steve, Steve, how are you doing?
Speaker 4: Brother?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 6: How you doing?
Speaker 3: Nick?
Speaker 4: Who to hear from you?
Speaker 6: Listen? I just want to say, I think it's wonderful that we all can get mad, angry and have anxiety and nervous because we're going to be in the tournament this year.
Speaker 3: Yep, it makes you feel alive again, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: You know, And Kenny Payne won those games. Brother, you know that. But anyway, we it is wonderful that that finally we can you know, we don't have to talk about whatever. I mean, we can talk about the University of Louisville going to the tournament. Yes, they had a bad game. I think there was probably more sickness going on through the through the team, and it's staffed, and you know, people knew and probably they don't need to know that. But you know, I'm just glad that I have something to worry about. I'm with you day, and I hope your son gets to play as video games when he gets home today.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's excited. I appreciate the call, Steve, Look, he's pumped. He told me, uh, he can't wait to get home. He's gonna play with uh with the Celtics because that's his team he plays in, So that's a team he plays for in his league. But he also you know, he's he's asking me about I mean, the kid asked a lot of questions and it's and it's and it's sweet. But man, once he saw all the available teams, and who's this guy?
Speaker 4: Is he any good? Who do he played for? He played for the Guards? How do you dunk?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 3: Why does this guy look like an alien?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Is this video game? Can I play with somebody from uh from from another state?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes to everything.
Speaker 3: So anyways, look, the illness thing, Look, we all they they had a real big issue with with with a bug with with a.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't want to call it the flu. I don't know if that's what it is.
Speaker 3: But I feel like if you're listening right now, and it's probably not just in this area, but I know around here, you'd have a hard time finding someone that has not had either themselves or somebody they work with, maybe a family member, maybe an acquaintance that has gotten sick. Lately, and it's been a bigger issue to get well than it typically is. Like again, the flu is really what's gone what's gone crazy here locally? And I got sick last week, but it wasn't the flu, luckily, it was more of a bronchitis kind of thing. But I think the guy because my worry is that these guys have just played so many minutes and they're just getting worn down and they're just kind of gassed out. Because that is a real thing that happens with teams. I mean the team that I feel like had a similar and I don't I'm not making a comparison by any means, but the twenty nineteen team for Louisville that was Chris Max's first year. That team, you know, I don't know what their ceiling was, but that was Kristin Cunningham.
Speaker 4: That group.
Speaker 3: You know, they played a very short lineup. I mean they didn't even have enough players to run a full practice.
Speaker 4: You know, they.
Speaker 3: Played warra Enoch Sutton McMahon maleik, I mean.
Speaker 4: Who else a quan four? Remember him?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, So they had a really so they played the same short lineup like forty minutes a game, almost I mean thirty five plus for just about everybody roughly, and they played a lot of close games and they just always ran out of gas. Now, maybe that was just they had, you know, they weren't clutch, or maybe they maybe they weren't preparedly. I don't I'm not saying it, but I remember feeling, for the first time watching a team throughout know that if they got in a game that was close late that they may have a tough time finishing because that just one they weren't great at it, but also they just kind of hit a wall, not in one game, but kind of in the last you know, twenty percent of the season. I'm not saying that that's that's Louisville, but I do feel like the last three games specifically, I have started to sense that they just look a little winded, and I'm hopeful that it's due to the fact that they've all been sick. I mean last week before the Florida State game. This didn't come out until right before tip off, to my knowledge, but they they had guys all misspractices last week at some point. I mean, everybody was able to go on was able to practice by Friday, other than rain. I don't think Rain practiced on Friday. Coach Kelsey has been sick. He had to get an IV just to hydrate. Because you know, these guys are dealing with it, So that would explain why they just look winded. Like It's not like I think they're out there asleep or they're not giving effort, but they just look exhausted, and I would I'm hopeful that it's not because you know, they've hit a wall. I'm hopeful that it's more so just because they're dealing with, you know, coming off of a bug.
Speaker 4: Like for me, I mean, I didn't have the flu, I'm sure, but these guys had.
Speaker 3: It's probably worse than mine, to be honest with you, but sometimes you can be better. You can be well to where you're not contagious, you don't feel sick, but you still don't have like the energy.
Speaker 4: You're lethargic.
Speaker 3: And I'm hopeful that that's why because I think, look the Notre Dame, the Florida State game, and this one. I kind of feel like there was a little bit of a pattern in those three games to where you know, this team was still the same team, right they still you know, they have the same identity.
Speaker 4: They just they just look winded.
Speaker 3: And you know aren't as you know, they haven't been as effective at knocking down shots. And I think when you are winded and tired that that can linger to other aspects of the game. Like these guys were making uncharacteristic They were very uncharacteristic last night with some of their decisions, turnovers, even shots selection. Like I feel like once they got up to a big lead and then Virginia Tech answered with a couple of threes, and then Louisville I think once again got up to you know, twelve to fifteen point lead, and then once it got to be where it was, you know, a few possessions really throughout, and then Louisville did, of course get it back up to ten in the second half. But I think, you know, instead of just doing what we typically see them do in the half court, being patient, focused like they were, they were careless and you know, there wasn't as much movement to where somebody kind of just had to fire up a shot a little bit late in the shot clock. That wasn't a great look. Like they were just not themselves and that happens. That's that's life, man, don't even look at it just from a basketball team. That's life. People can sometimes just have a have a day, have a week. That's just they're kind of off. And these guys they had it last night. So that's that's the way you can view it and say, Okay, I'm not worried. Let's just see how they respond. And that's that's a normal way to look at it. That's kind of where I'm at. But then again, something I said earlier this week, and I think I even touched on it yesterday. And this isn't like a hey, I told you so kind of thing. Trust me, because if I have a chance to say I told you so, I'm gonna tell you I told you so.
Speaker 4: That's not what this is.
Speaker 3: But I wasn't expecting Louisville to be a close game last night because honestly, let's look at the pattern. When they go on the road against those kind of teams Virginia Tech, they usually win big roadkill in your house, right, I mean, they've they've been phenomenal on the road this year. The only loss they have on the road in conference play is that Georgia Tech game, And did they play an they lost in Rubb and that was a true road game. I guess that's really the only road game they had that was a true road game in non conference play. But anyways, like I was expecting them to win, like they could have played a B plus game, and I feel like they still could have won by twenty something. They didn't play that last night. So again, what I start to really think about when I look at bracketology, and this is me going back to what I referenced the other day. And I didn't do it till like panic anybody, but it's just something that I was, you know, kind of thinking out loud. Honestly, it wasn't something like I'd planned to talk about on the show. But I'm looking at bracketology, looking at who Louisville could play in the first round if they're a seven seed, who they play in the first round, if they're an eight seed, even a six seed for that matter, And I'm realizing, okay, the teams that they would play here in the first round, even if they are a six going up against an eleven, whoever that eleven is, they probably deserve to be there as a play in because they didn't get the job done to where they could safely be in the tournament. But there's a good chance that that eleven seed is substantially better than the vast majority of the teams that Louisville has played in acc play, and that, you know, that's just maybe I am worried about it, and I don't want to admit it. I don't feel worried, but I just think that's something that I'm aware of. Doesn't shake my confidence, but it's just something that I think is worth mentioning that, like last night, to have a Virginia Tech team have you on the ropes like that and you really had to And again credit to them for making the place they made late right, I mean, it's a bad night. You want to get the hell out of there. You're tired as can be, You're making mistakes you don't typically make. But you know what great execution late for Actually whatdn't even execution him? James Scott right place right, Tom big dunk, Terrence Edwards really bad game, but he made some big shots that changed the ending of that game. Javon Hadley not his best night, but you know what, he makes big plays defensively all the time. Made a big one to kind of close it out and put this thing to bed. So again, Virginia Tech, if they can have you in that spot, I just I'm trying not to go there. But I think when I and I'm not gonna spend a lot of time thinking about it, because why would I. But when we go back to this game, until we get to the NCAA tournament or til we get to maybe the ACC tournament and see Louisville play a team like Clemson or Duke or maybe even Carolina, who we know is better than the record, they just you know they can't get it done. This was the game for me where I'm like, Okay, I still love this team. I've seen them regardless of opponent. I know they're better than what we're seeing tonight in Blacksburg. But also, man, you could talk about like a bubble team barely getting in. Hell, a twelve seed that gets in the tournament because they won their league, but it's not a great league. Like they're gonna give you a way bigger test than they're gonna They're gonna hit you with a much bigger punch than Virginia Tech did last night. Because Virginia Tech, I give them credit, they hit some they hit enough threes to stay in it. There's seasons essentially shot. But yet they you know, they were there. They gave them all they wanted, but they also did it while reminding us here and there they're bad. I mean some of their turnovers. So again it's in the rear view. Now you got it done. But I really think this Pittsburgh game on Saturday will be an opportunity to kind of see, Okay, how fluky was that?
Speaker 1: Was? That?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Just a man? Every team has a game like that kind of game. And I don't mean they need to beat Pittsburgh by twenty for us to say that was just an outlier. But to me, it's going to be more about how they look because last night it was a closer game than any of us expected, and they were making mistakes that we don't usually see. But they just looked completely gassed, and I hope by Saturday that's not the case. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. Oh and by the way, I also have some.
Speaker 4: Tickets to give away today.
Speaker 3: I have the most random, oh really random pair of tickets to give away today.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what it is.
Speaker 3: On the other side, it's random to me, but you may think, Oh goodness, Nick, tell me what I gotta do to get these tickets.
Speaker 4: It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thorntons. Ready are on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: All right, so I will be giving away a pair of tickets. We'll do it at four thirty, or at least as soon as we get back from our first break in the four o'clock hour. That's usually roughly a little bit before four thirty. But I mean, everybody's on the edge of their seats right now, right I am anticipating to hear what it is.
Speaker 4: What you got that we're going to be given away?
Speaker 3: How about a pair of tickets to go see Brett Michaels, Brett Michaels, Brett Michaels. Let's got Rock of Love at French Lick. Oh boy, that's right, my parents. The Kirkster is going there. Oh is he this weekend?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Shout out to I was about to say my wife, but his wife my stepmom Nancy.
Speaker 2: It'd be weird the right.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's Kentucky, but it is the she's probably the biggest Brett Michaels fan you would ever know. I think my dad has told me that they've went and seen him over thirty times. If they're in any three hundred mile radius, they're going to Brett Michael's show.
Speaker 3: So he will be at French Lick on March first, at the Exhibition Hall, and it will be you see, never seen a concert up there, though I have not seen. I've been to French Lick a bunch of times. I've not been to a but my parents, my mom and stepdad. I think my dad has been to some shows up there as well. It's it's a good venue for concerts.
Speaker 2: Very much.
Speaker 3: I there's there's some casino resorts that that like concerts there suck, but I can tell you French Lick's not one of them.
Speaker 4: And and I don't know, I.
Speaker 3: Mean it's it's it's I'm not even sure they even still have their like ballroom. But I saw two concerts at what used to be called the Boat. We still called the Boat, but it's now Caesar's. Do they still have concerts there.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think they do. I think I think the concert Hall. I could be wrong, but I feel like the concert hall was more so when they were actually when they were a boat. When they redid it, I think is when it changed. It was like right before you walked into the boat, right, yes, yep, that's right. And now it's of course totally different. So anyways, French Lick, Indiana, great resort up there at French Lick. They've they've got Brett Michaels coming on on March first, and we're going to give you away tickets coming up around four thirty. And I've got a little bit of a first of all, the Brett Michael's Rock of Love. Did you know that they they filmed some of that in Louisville?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I did not, Yeah, so he it was a I mean that was early reality. Oh yes, I mean it was trash realities. Even was that before reality or was it all part of the same thing v H one They had Rock of Love, I Love Money, Charms School with Ricky Lake. I mean, they had really good trash reality shows that that did well. And then you know, like that kind I mean a lot of that stuff at the time. I don't know if we knew it, but like that was all like, oh, that's staged. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like it's it's it's made. Even Jersey Shore is like manufactured, like it's it's real people, but like they put a show together. If you know what I'm saying. It's no, it's it's it's a show more so more so than it is. Like reality shows are very much, uh manufacturing.
Speaker 4: I don't people know that or not.
Speaker 3: Documentaries are not me and it's a totally different, different world. But I have a I have a Brett Michael's uh story that that I'll always remember because I just think of him as the guy who you know, like he's he's he's old now, like he's you know, he's sixty one years old and he's still you know, he's still doing his thing. And there's nothing wrong with being in your sixties. But I guess, like you know, like he hasn't had new music in a long long time. And I don't look at it this way because you know, hair band rock was fun, sure, but you know there's certain people who you know who viewed it, view it as you know, I guess beneath them. But he showed up to the what was the the I always forget the name of country Hometown Rising.
Speaker 2: Yes, the only year that we had it.
Speaker 3: So we had Hometown Rising that year and it was loaded with all country artists and he was on there kind of like sticking out like a sore thumb, like wait a second, like what's this? And I remember, you know, thinking it was really weird, like, man, somebody owed this guy favor, Like how'd he get on the bill?
Speaker 4: And I was there for his set and he was fun nominal.
Speaker 3: It was a real reminder that it's not just about being a recording artist and being you know, having an image and a look in charisma. To be a star in whatever music you whatever genre you're in music, you got to be a performer to to like really make your mark to where he can still be at sixty one having these tours and people buying tickets and going yes like he did like sweet Home Alabama covers, like he was out there performing and absolutely owned his set.
Speaker 2: Mama don't dance and your daddy don't rock and roll.
Speaker 4: I mean, he was, he was great.
Speaker 3: And I you know, I just when I think of him, I think of Poison, I think of Sure, I think of you know, rock of Love, and you know just he's he's a he's a celebrity, yes, and he's you know, had a lot of his life later in life play out on reality TV.
Speaker 4: But man, he took it serious.
Speaker 3: Like he wasn't one of those guys that's just you know, running on e just trying to still get a check. Like he took it serious and he performed and it was really really awesome because I just remember thinking, like, man, I can I can appreciate that also again, like he was really good at performing. And like there's certain people who and I don't know much of I haven't seen any of like the big stars now, like I know, if you're Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Morgan walland like you're not just out there saying you're performing and you got you gotta be able to do that. Or but like I watched George Straiton concert once, worst concert ever been to George. Like George Strait is a legend, he's great, but like he just sits up there and doesn't move and plays his guitar right now again, like that's.
Speaker 2: Chris Stapleton does that.
Speaker 3: I mean it's fine, but you know it's it's it can go a little flat now, Garth Brooks, on the other hand, that man's a performer. Of course, that man still doing stadium man will perform like he'll do three shows a day in the same stadium or arena, and every every show's got the same level of energy. So like you can, you can be successful in a variety of ways. But man, like that's why Garth Brooks will as long as he wants to keep doing those tours, he'll make an insane amount of money because he brings it every time. He's got a catalog of hits that everybody knows. And I just remember thinking of Brett Michaels and being, okay, man, you know what when I when I think about going and seeing somebody in concert, which I rarely do, like I'm gonna be more so incentivized to go and watch them if they're gonna put on a show and it's performance more so than just you know, to call it karaoke would be wrong. But like George Strait, like he didn't move and he didn't say anything other than his songs, which again he's a legend. People love that he could he could tour. I mean, I think he's had maybe six fair fairwell put the name on the market. I think he said six farewell tours overall. We said by to him sometimes, but you know, and when you're a legend like that, you can do that.
Speaker 4: But Brett Michaels man, he brought it.
Speaker 3: So we're giving away two tickets and I'm sure he's gonna bring it to French Lick.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite rock concerts. I've seen him with Poison twice. And here's a fun thing before we get out of here. He still looks like Brett Michaels. He still sounds like Brett Michaels. Everybody else gets up there, especially when they do these casino tours. They're just in like the French Lick hoodies and they're just kind of like they're they're phoning it in, right, But Brett, Brett throws a party.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he's a vibe, no doubt. So again four poin thirty, we're gonna give away tickets.
Speaker 4: I don't know what we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: We'll probably just see who can who can call in first, But stick around you'll find out. We've got two hours left and a lot more to get into. Coffee and Company. Feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety