Speaker 1: Okay, I like this one. Don't say my name, but it's a really cool story. And I really like this one. I don't know why she doesn't want her name. But first, this is the first time I'm writing. I am AT a loyal listener for years and years. I so appreciate the show and all the members, new and old. I would love a Minnesota Goodbye sticker for my water bottle if you deem this worthy. Here's my experience. I live in Carver and they just built a new small town coffee shop.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: To promote the shop's grand opening, they advertised the first one hundred people in the building would get free coffee for a year, not just basic old, boring drip coffee, but any specialty coffee, drink, smoothie, or tea, your homemade beverage. Wow, one free beverage per week for a year. That's about three hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was jazzed, as I am a self proclaimed penny pincher. The night before and I decided I'm going to try to be one of the first one hundred people. My spouse thought I was stupid, crazy, ridiculous for attempting after I saw it, on the Instagram people were lining up at seven pm the night before. Long story short, I did it. I set my alarm for four thirty. I was the seventy first person in line. I feel an odd feeling of accomplishment, and I told you so. This experience led me to a few questions. I thought my bear I might bear well for the morning show. Number one, have you ever encountered a prize you thought was too good to be true but turned out to be true? Off the top of my head, no, But I want to say that if this restaurant is giving you three hundred and fifty dollars worth of coffee to one hundred people, that is thirty five thousand dollars worth of free coffee?
Speaker 2: Is that right? So much?
Speaker 3: That sounds like such a poor business decision?
Speaker 1: It really does. And I hope that they thought it through and understood whether and that's their retail price, their actual wholesale whatever price would probably be maybe a dollar a cup. Yeah, so then it's fifty two times one hundred.
Speaker 3: Still that's still too much money, is that first ten people in or or I don't know. That's and for a year like I would just say, hey, maybe the first hundred people in get a free coffee, right.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they bank on the fact that people will not come every week, because you're really not You're not realistically going to come in if somebody will, but realistically you're not going to go in every week.
Speaker 4: And usually what.
Speaker 5: Usually when they do contests like oh, you get free tacos for the year or something, it's like a limit of one taco a day or something like that, you know, which like doesn't set them as far back, but like, yeah, that seems pretty extreme. I would absolutely come in every single day.
Speaker 3: It was me if it was an everyday thing though it sounded did she say it was once a week? Yeah, Yeah, I would totally go. If I had a free coffee once a week, that's the coffee I would drink that week.
Speaker 1: Same their next one, same question or same person. Have you ever done something you or others thought you could not or should not attempt? Off the top of my head, no, Susan's pretty supportive, so if I want to try something, she'll do it. She'll you know, she'll encourage me. So I can't really think of anything. Can you guys think of anything that other people said, like Bailey, your friends probably thought you're never going to get on the radio.
Speaker 3: Oh no, my friends were really supportive.
Speaker 2: Were they good?
Speaker 3: But I the money one. I've never entered a competition like that. But a couple of years ago, my mom she was like, oh, I was cleaning on my closet, getting stuff to like donate to Goodwill, and I found this box and in this box she had like I don't know, forty of those like bonds that are just kind of like paper checks sort of I don't really know exact saving spot yeah, saving spot thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And she was like, wow, I totally forgot about these. And some of them were like in my dad's mother's name.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And some of them were in her name, some of them were in my dad's name, and then somewhere in both me and my sister's names. And they had like reached the amount of time because they were like bought in nineteen ninety one or something to like totally max out. So both me and my sister got tenthous dollars. Wow, break in bonkers. And so I would tell people, I was like, yeah, I've come into a small amount of money by accident. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That used to be a thing when I was a kid that used to really like TV advertisements for you buy US savings bond invest in America. Yeah, and you could buy like a five dollars savings bond that would mature like ten years later. It'd be worth I don't even know ten dollars.
Speaker 3: I don't even know, right, I mean enough for I mean ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: That is truly a nice stack.
Speaker 3: Of them A stack. It was dope.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard anything, or, like Jenny, anything that people said you shouldn't do that?
Speaker 4: I don't think so, Okay, fine, fair enough, we have.
Speaker 2: To dig for one.
Speaker 1: Have you ever won something you didn't expect to win, Jenny, we already know about that. Time you want a trip to Disney World, I will just go really quick. And quiz Nos did something fifteen twenty years ago where they wanted to hear the best version of their slogan of you going mmm mmmmmmmm toasty. Oh yeah, And so I entered that and I won twenty five thousand dollars. What Yeah, twenty five five thousand went to my favorite charity, which I don't remember what it was at the time, but then twenty five thousand went to me for saying mmm mmm mmm mmm toasty.
Speaker 3: Wow, something like that again, Dave. Their charity is Bailey has.
Speaker 2: Yes got it.
Speaker 1: It was funny because a radio guy did it and I heard him and he was so stupid And he was really annoyed me that he was so stupid that he thought it would win. He said, he didn't even say it right, He said, mmm mmm mmmmmm that shit is toasty, and he was so proud of it, and I thought, how stupid are you that you really think you're gonna like ruin their slogan and say the word shit and they're gonna go, yeah, that's the best one. And he was so proud of it. But he was one of these people that thought they were really smart. We all know somebody like this that thinks they're really smart, but they're actually quite stupid. Yeah, Bailey, ever win anything?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Not really. I mean I felt like the Bonds thing was kind of like a win.
Speaker 2: That's a way, Okay, I got you that, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Guys, But other than that, like, no, I don't really win things because I don't really enter things. And I know that's part of the problem, is that you can't win unless you enter. I just don't enter things. Because I just assume I'm not gonna win.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people do that, and I think that's one of the things with our you know, when we say the key word to text in, a lot of people think I'm never gonna win, which is really I totally get that because you're entering with a lot of other people. But somebody's got to win, and it costs nothing to enter, so I always say, go ahead, enter that contest. Yeah, next one, Hey, y'all. I want to send a quick note to my favorite group. First of all, Dave solidified the fact why I think he's one of the most quick witted people. During your bit of having Bailey's teacher friend and calling in grade your Summer twenty twenty four essays, Dave said he was getting out his Ouiji board to thank his teachers because all of them are dead. I was cry laughing, Dave, you are fucking hilarious, and whether or not laughing that hard, that joke sends me to hell. I'll see you there, buddy. Also want to give a shout out to Vaughan I met of the fair Saturday. He's one of the kindest people I've ever met. He shook my hand gave me his full attention. While we had a quick chat. I mentioned how happy I was for him that Melissa is here now, and how great he is on the show, and how I randomly yell out blaze blah bla blah. Oh that's how they spell blas they go okay, blase blah. Okay, they spelled it blaze blah and I didn't get it at all, but I'm glad you two did. He smiled and was so kind while I was low key kind of starstruck because I absolutely love having him as a new edition of the morning show. He gave me and I'm calling hr shirt and it made my day. I keep bringing him up, meeting him and receiving the shirt the entire day at the fair. It ended up being the highlight. It meant a lot because I still have the shirt I got in sixth grade when I climbed the IDs Tower for Climb for a Cure and Dave signed it. I am now thirty one, so twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: Sorry for the long email. Thanks for all you do every day, from the amount of time and effort you put into making the show as grand as it is, and we're always being genuinely kind, real, and of course entertaining. I'd love a staff writer sticker. I've been playing a saving the perfect spot. I'm my coffee tumbler. Love y'all from your p one listener, Aaron, and I will send this off to you, Aaron, she did not include a last name, but oh there it is in your okay, in your return address, so I will make sure I get that to you. And when you ask for a staff writer sticker, it's funny because sometimes people forget to actually put their address in there. So thank you Aaron for sending. And Vant is kind. I think that's one of the things on our show is And I've worked with some people on this very show who were fake kind, and they were not good people, but they were very fake kind. But the one thing I love about our lineup now is everybody really is a really kind person. And Jenny is just like so kind, and Bailey is like kind and empathetic to everybody, and Vant just is like he is just so eager to like people. And I love people that listen to the show. I don't love everybody, yeah, but I can't. I can't love everybody, but I love people who listen to the show. So I really am proud of the fact that everybody in the show is nobody is fake kind. No, everybody genuinely is kind. Yeah, but I will name the people who have been on the show.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, I'm curious.
Speaker 2: I am not scroll.
Speaker 1: Okay, next one. This one says for on air, so I'm going to save that one to see if it works better for on air. But let's go to this one. Hello, my favorite radio crew, loyal listener since the mid nineties, and I love and talk about y'all way too much. Jenny, you mentioned you were in Crosby last weekend. Such a cute town. By chance, did you stop at the Kana Wine Bar on Friday?
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 5: We swung by it and we thought about like hanging out there, but then we went and got food somewhere else and went back to our airbnb.
Speaker 1: Okay, the reason they ask is my husband and I have a dou so called leaven Page Town, and we were playing music on the patio. I don't recall seeing you, but it would make my day if.
Speaker 2: You were there. I love y'all all right from Cindy.
Speaker 5: We even thought about swinging by for like a glass of wine and just like watching the band because we saw them promoting live music and stuff. So I'm bummed we didn't come see you guys.
Speaker 1: That is super cool though, that they listen and they also I mean they're like, you know, a little duo. That is super cool.
Speaker 2: I love that one.
Speaker 3: Cute.
Speaker 2: Let's find the next one.
Speaker 1: Speaking of patio, this is a weird transition, but we did not talk about it on the radio. The Saint Louis Park Park Tavern and people dining out on the patio and relaxing. We could have covered it on the radio, but we didn't. We also did not talk about the school shooting, and we also did not talk about the patio, probably because you know, we were having such a good time on the show that we really didn't find a spot to work it in, which was a little bit neglectful of us, I guess you could say, or a misstep, because we should have talked about it. But I didn't know about this patio incident until Jenny told me because I've been out of town. Tell me what happened, and most people already know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, basically, a drunk driver drove into the patio at Park Tavern in Saint Louis Park on Sunday, I believe it was, and killed a server and a.
Speaker 4: Guy that was dining there.
Speaker 5: Injured three other people that are still in the hospital recovering from that, but I think two are in serious condition and one's in fair condition.
Speaker 4: I think is what I read as of yesterday.
Speaker 5: But like, yeah, this piece of shit human this is his fifth DWI, I think, and just drove his car right into the patio and fucking murdered people.
Speaker 4: And it's just it's so sad and disgusting.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, it's such a random place that you would feel safe.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: You know, you're not on the road where you always kind of have your guard up, but on a patio where you're relaxing and chatting with friends, and all of a sudden, your friend next to you and the server who is out there not because she loved being a server, but because she was making money for three kids and supporting your family dies. You've heard me say before, I hate a drunk driver. I hate a drunk driver. I really wish there were more strict penalties. Here is my idea for drunk drivers. Ye get if you kill somebody, you get your arm cut off. Yes, everybody will then know you killed somebody, you're a drunk driver. And if they drive again and kill somebody, you cut their other arm off, And that would be a real deterrent to drunk drivers because they'd be like, oh my god, I'm not going to drive drunk. What if I kill somebody to get my arm cut off? Plus the humiliation and the fact that your life is gonna suck because you have no arms. Now, this sounds really harsh, and maybe Daved'll be like, Dave, this is medieval.
Speaker 2: This is cruel.
Speaker 1: No, what's really cruel is unavoidably dying while you're doing nothing wrong. You have a choice whether to get drunk. You have a choice whether to drive after you get drunk. If you get I don't know what the level would to be, but this guy had five previous dwis.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was I think four times over the limit.
Speaker 1: Okay, somebody like this I would after their third DWI, I would cut their arm off. They get one more DWI after that, they lose their other arm. Not only will they never drive again, they will suffer for it. It will be a deterrent and everybody will know, oh, you're a drunk driver. You're a disgusting person. And I know that sounds medieval, and I know it sounds harsh, but give me a better plan that works. There's not one.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: Andrew and I were talking about it on this walk the other night and he was like, I just think that after your first if you got a second DWI, you get your license taken away. And I was like, that won't do anything. Those people will still drive. They will still drive. Yeah, And so it's like, yeah, I don't know. I just wish people would be smarter. I mean, what is what is a twenty to forty dollars uber gonna cost you versaly.
Speaker 4: Taking someone's life? Yeah, that's just insane.
Speaker 2: And it's just so sad.
Speaker 1: I mean, Okay, so there's the drunk driver, but what about I mean, just think about the pain of that girl's mom and dad and her sister and her boyfriend, her husband, and the pain that they will have to live with forever for such a senseless thing. You know, when somebody dies of cancer, that is so senseless and awful. But it wasn't. There was There was not a perpetrator, you know what I mean. There's no perpetrator. You can't say God gave her cancer or whatever.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 1: You can be mad at the world, but when there is a perpetrator, there is a way to stop it from happening. And it would be it'll never happen. But if I was king, yep, it would be probably the first thing that I would enact.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't know that that's going to happen anytime soon because we don't really have that kind of government here.
Speaker 1: I'm bringing it back. I'm bringing it back. Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna start my own kingdom just in my in my living room.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah, that feels perfect for you. Yeah, the expand it now.
Speaker 2: I don't like to leave the house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Next one, Stephanie writes in I'm at a holiday trying to spind a spot to fill up with gas. Half the spots are closed because they're power watching the pavement. Not a huge deal. A guy in a giant black truck pulls up to one of the gas spots, turns off his car, goes into the store. I'm thinking, oh, I know, I hate it too. I'm thinking always prepaying for the gas.
Speaker 2: But no.
Speaker 1: He comes out of the store five minutes later, food and drink, gets back in his truck and drives off.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, spot right.
Speaker 2: What a complete asshole.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna run the store and not buy any gas, please don't park at the pump, especially when half of them are being used or are not usable right now. They got regular parking spaces for that exact reason. Use them. Don't be a douche ug People drive me nuts. I don't like to make a correlation between guys and trucks because oftentimes there is no correlation between being a fucking asshole and having a big, giant truck. Sometimes there's no correlation, but sometimes there is a direct correlation between a big, loud, fucking truck and being a fucking asshole.
Speaker 2: I think it's the.
Speaker 3: People who have trucks that don't use it for anything, that it's not like something to haul, it's just to have it. Those are the two shoe ones, I.
Speaker 1: Think so, and I think the guys who adjusts the muffler or the exhaust or whatever to get that really loud rumble. And you know what, Listen, I'm not gonna lump everybody in there, but I'm gonna say that there is a mild correlation between being a fucking asshole and having a loud truck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okaya, tell me I'm wrong. Maybe you know somebody who is.
Speaker 4: I don't think you're wrong.
Speaker 1: No, okay, if you have an experience with this, maybe your brother is a fucking asshole and he also drives a big loud f two fifty and he only hauls himself around in it. Yeah, I'm a little distracted him.
Speaker 2: In Colorado. There are three deer outside in my front yard?
Speaker 4: Is it Dowie.
Speaker 1: I don't think Dowe is bad, but I did. If you don't know who Dowe is, she is my girlfriend. She is a deer that shave I have. She's got beautiful brown eyes, Yeah she does. And I was feeding her out of a coffee can full of bird seed the other day and she came right up to me and kind of was skittish. But there's video on my Instagram of meet Dave Ryan Kto But you be me feeding Dowie. And so now this morning there was a deer in the yard and I thought, oh, Dowie's back. So I got the beer at the beer. I don't know why I said beer I got because it's always on my mind. I got the seed can and went outside and they ran off, So it wasn't Dowe. There are three in the front yard right now.
Speaker 4: She would never run away from you.
Speaker 2: No, she loves me.
Speaker 3: It does. Yeah, she's got beautiful brown eyes. One might call them Doe eyes.
Speaker 1: A hard Bailey next one, it says my favorite morning show. Listening to Dave's song from Winning song Wednesday brought me back when I was in second grade and the kids were singing it on the bus.
Speaker 2: If you missed it, it.
Speaker 1: Was I'm a bit, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother.
Speaker 2: So the song is called bitch.
Speaker 1: He goes back about thirty years and it's funny that they were singing it in second and third grade on the bus. Songs always transport me back to a certain place or time. Do you have a particular song that brings you back to a certain place or time? Wow, I would say for me. God, there's so many. I mean, that's what songs do. They're like a vital like an audio time machine.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: So when you hear one, I'll give you one that's like recent so it doesn't sound really old. There's a Fergie song and it's called big girls, yes, and she goes, I'm gonna miss you like a child misses that blanket. And it always reminds me of Carson and his blanket because he had a blanket for years and he went he carried it everywhere, he slept with it, and I'm not going to embarrass the kid, but he took it with him to college.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had a blanket too. I don't think that's weird.
Speaker 1: He would not want me telling you, but you know, his friends don't listen to the podcast, I'm certain, but he loved that blanket. So whenever I would.
Speaker 2: Hear him the child missus that blanket.
Speaker 1: I would think of little Carson, like you know, sitting there watching TV or playing a video game with his blanket around his neck.
Speaker 2: So that takes me back. You guys have anything I do.
Speaker 5: Mine is show Stopper by Dannity Kane because I remember we would always go camping with my best friend's family in August every summer in the Wisconsin Dells, and when we finally got our license, we took one of the big trucks that we took from like their dad, to ride down the main street in the Dells and we'd blast showstopper, thinking we were so cool and Mike had the windows open, we'd be like hollering at the cute boys and stuff, and so I always think of that when I hear that song what.
Speaker 3: About you Baby, I would say, I mean, I also have so many but your idea that big girls don't. I definitely had a connection with that song too. It's came out the same year as I Kissed a Girl by Katie Perry, and both of those songs remind me of my first job I ever had at Best Brands, which was the company my mom worked for, and I was seventeen and I just wanted enough money to go to the Warped tour. So I worked like a week doing clerical work at my mom's work, and it was honestly kind of fun because I got to I mean, I had to wake up early in the summer, which sucked, but I got to hang out with my mom for most of the day and pretend that I was a character in the office. So I remember, I Kissed a Girl was on the radio constantly, so I would hear that song like five times a day.
Speaker 1: That's right, that was the same time. That is from P One Staff writer Kristen, thank you so much. I'm going to check to see if we have time for one more because it looks interesting. They included a bunch of pictures of us at the Minnesota State Fair and they said, Dave, Jenny Bailey vond it was great meeting you guys Thursday at the fair. I wanted to send you the pictures we took so you can frame them and put them in the studio. We Egan Moms and Grandma's will always be big fans. Oh you'll remember these if you saw the picture.
Speaker 5: Well, I know who they are because they're the Egan moms that I met like six or seven years ago. And I found the stupid picture I have with them, like the moment they walked away, So I wish I could have shown them because I do have the picture from like twenty seventeen or eighteen or so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're smoke shows, they're hot. I think I think they walked away.
Speaker 1: And I said, yeah, that's a couple of grills, and you're like, grilling it's a grandma. Well, I think they're both grandma's. Yeah, they're a couple of grills.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with that? As a compliment, I think.
Speaker 4: Dave's allowed to say that because it's you know, he's that's true.
Speaker 3: They I think they're just at this point because you also have grand kids. They're just people in general that you would like to f just regular Yeah, okay, yeah, okay, are you using weight?
Speaker 4: Is it is grillf Is it the same for grandma and grandpa?
Speaker 2: I you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess some people might say you're a growth.
Speaker 1: Well I'd like to meet them, because nobody has said that, and I keep waiting. So yeah, it's funny because, yeah, nobody has found me attractive since I think probably since nine to eleven was the last time somebody found me attractive. Yeah maybe I.
Speaker 2: Was just okay, I was gonna make a horrible joke.
Speaker 4: Oh different day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, how about this one. Nobody has found me attractive since y two?
Speaker 3: K there go there go.
Speaker 2: I like that. Just pick pick pick.
Speaker 1: All right, that's it. Thank you for all the emails. We love your emails. That is the heart of the Minnesota Goodbye. You are the writers of the Minnesota Goodbye. And I really think this is a truly unique podcast because we don't write the content. We really don't. You come up with the content. It's all you, and you've heard the days when we don't have any emails and it's us talking about the weather, and it gets really boring, so of avoid that and send in an email with anything you want to bring up. Ryan Show at KDWB dot com